Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 1: The kids are crying or tearing off, crying.
Speaker 2: Our countries are.
Speaker 1: Screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inn Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick Coffee. I have to admit I am a little surprised, although happy, that we here at Sports Talk seven ninety have gotten into the Christmas spirit. Not with just you know what we're bringing to the table here on the airwaves with myself, Nick Coffee and Austin Montgomery, but how about those little liners we've got in there wishing everybody a merry Chris is in a happy holiday. I mean that that's that's a nice touch, I think. But before the show started, right before the show started, the latest one, Austin said, Seasons Greetings. Have you ever once said that to somebody?
Speaker 2: Seasons Greetings?
Speaker 1: No? I mean, I gotta be honest with you, and I think I brought this up at one point over the years, as I now kind of lose track of things I've discussed because I've been almost up to nine years now that i've been here at Sports Talk seven ninety. But nonetheless, I know it's come up before. I just don't remember when. But seasons greetings like no, like, don't hit me with that. I mean, I know you mean well, but like there's just something that's not like, that's not that doesn't that doesn't hit the radar as far as like being a Christmas greeting. I mean, happy Holidays, Merry Christmas.
Speaker 2: I'm way more of a Merry Christmas guy than anything. But I guess I've fallen into the PC trap over the last few years, like we know what holiday we're celebrating.
Speaker 1: He couldn't, I mean, wouldn't you agree that, like the ultimate one is Merry Christmas?
Speaker 2: Yes? Absolutely, you don't want to offend anybody, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, I mean happy Holidays is is fine. Yeah, But I'm just trying to think of like if I was if that wasn't a thing meaning Merry Christmas, which it always will be, but like if I had a secondary, like a backup to you know, throw out there. I wouldn't go Season's greetings, and I don't really know what I would go with, probably happy Holidays or I mean, I'm just looking here at a list. I just googled quickly, and there's not a whole lot out.
Speaker 2: There, you know, nice seas like decorations and stuff like that. It's just corny. But I'm not gonna say it to somebody.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. I think seasons greetings could could pass in and you know, if it's on the you know, the the thing your mom hangs up on the wall Christmas time in a dormant like if I like, if I meet somebody and i'm you know, like today I had lunch with my wife and uh nice the white. The wife and I were on our way out and our waitress said, uh uh, take care of heavy. Good day, and I said, you too, Merry Christmas. Like it just it's just a natural thing. If I'd have said season's greeting, she probably would have walked over to the table and just would have been anticipating a bad tip, because that's just it's not good energy. And she got a good tip because I'm a pretty good tipper, I think, And at least. But I actually I'm a paranoid tipper. Like I do what I think is fair, and I usually tend to go on the twenty percent side, especially if the service is good. But you know, I'm worried like that the one day the standard tipping percentage is just gonna like go up and nobody's gonna tell me, and I'm just gonna be viewed as some bad tipper, although you know, I think some tipping etiquette. You know, there's a lot of differing opinions on what is right, what's wrong, what's fair, that kind of stuff. But anyways, seasons, greetings, everybody, welcome in Happy hump Day. It's coffee and Company. As mentioned Nick, Coffee else to Montgomery with you as we take you up until six o'clock. So settle up, make yourself at home, take us with you wherever you're going. You can listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. One week away from Christmas and just a couple of days away from our first college football playoff game, and I mean I've been jacked for this first ever twelve team playoffs since we knew we were getting it, and throughout the season it just kind of felt like with they're being so much parody and really they're not being a clear team that you feel like is the best team in the country. I mean, I just knew it was going to be great regardless of how the bracket shaped up, and here we are with some really awesome matchups. But it kind of hit me today like out of nowhere, Oh wow, this is happening, like it's this weekend, and it's because it's the first time. We don't usually I mean, we've never been in this position where we are about to watch over two days time for college football playoff games on home fields. I mean, the atmosphere should be great and I'm gonna watch. I don't really have any real preference here. Like, by the way, let me ask you this, Sauston, of the twelve teams left, like is there a team that you I mean, I'm sure there's not a team left that you're like all in on, but like, who take wagering out of it? Who would you like to see when the champ If you could pick one team of these twelve to be the national champion, who would you want it to be?
Speaker 2: I knew a company guy might love me for it, but I'm cheering on Indiana.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, I know you're going to say that, but I'm with you, brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm cheering on and in a way other people might hate me. Good story. Yeah, they're a great story. And as much as I hate their coach, I would kind of like to see Ohio State kind of get it, just because I know they're a program that's been devoid of it for I wanted to say for so long, because didn't they went like the first playoff with Ezekiel Elliott whenever they first had the playoff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was on that team. But yes, they did end up getting the first one. It was Urban's only title there, I believe.
Speaker 2: And I can I can totally see them with all the disrespect and surely because they kind of craft the bet against Michigan, that would be kind of nice, but not like I'm this just this big, big ten homer. But I would love to see Indiana do it, and I'm definitely gonna betting on them. And it hit me the same one. I was driving into work today, I'm like, holy crap, we actually got the playoffs start, and that's because I was thinking about betting, and I'm like, what's going on this weekend? That that's right? The playoffs.
Speaker 1: It's awesome flat night. It's our first game Indiana Notre Dame, and we can get into it a little bit later on in the week. But I just I understand that Notre Dame would be favored here, and I understand that nobody really thinks Indiana is worthy of being here, or maybe they don't believe that. It's that they're not worthy. They just don't think that they're any good because of the way their schedule sets up. And that's not a crazy take to have, because unfortunately, there really isn't enough data against you know, a real test, real test essentially, there's not enough of that to where you really know what you're getting with Indiana. But if there's one team where I feel like collectively college football fans would kind of not necessarily unite around because maybe you don't like Indiana, but like, nobody likes Notre Dame unless you're a Notre Dame, right, everybody seems to be anti Notre Dame and Notre Dame they're in a similar situation. What is their resume? They say that you know, again, they have better wins than Indiana, but like those wins aren't great, Like their best win is against Texas A and M and probably Louisville m HM.
Speaker 2: And we've seen them firsthand, so we know what they're all about.
Speaker 1: They lost in IU too, so and that's clearly the worst loss that anybody has within the twelve team playoffs. So I just felt like there would be more noise out there about like, hey, I get it, Notre Dame's favored, but Indiana can and beat them, and I think they will. I don't know what this opened up as, but it's now Indiana plus seven and a half and I can tell you this, I absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: I think it's been seven and a half, like ever since they first cat over with the bracket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and another team that I'm really pulling for. And trust me, this is not I mean, maybe there's a little bit of it. That's the ACC thing we're going. It would be nice to see the ACC do well in the playoff with the two teams that are there. But I want SMU to beat Penn State. I don't have a clue if it's gonna happen, because Penn State's a team that like I think is good, but they're also again like they're the only thing that's I mean, Penn State's in the playoff because they started out so high and never messed up, and some teams did mess up, and that's why you didn't make the playoff. You got to be held accountable. But when it comes to SMU, I happen to think that they're really good. Now. They did look great against Clemson until they put that come back together, so maybe they'll be humbled in this one. But like, I felt like SMU was actually a really good team. In fact, I didn't know that for certain when they beat Louisville. I just felt like, what are we doing here with Ron English? Geez? But then they turned out to Like again, schedule wasn't super challenging in the ACC. But I happen to think that they're really good. I think they've got really good talent, so I don't I wouldn't pick them to win, but I think the dogs are barking here in the first two games.
Speaker 2: It's right, I'm liking all of them, these spreads as I'm looking at them, They're they're huge, they're they're way That's true.
Speaker 1: I never really had that's it is, got it. I mean again, we've never had a playoff before, so you don't know what to compare it to. But to see all of these games be a touchdown or more is crazy to me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't really love Clemson.
Speaker 1: Me either, and I don't think we know what we're gonna get with them either.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, I was reading that wrong. I thought it. I thought Clemson was a twelve point favorite.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's it's I'm seeing plus eleven and a half at Clemson on FanDuel. Now I'm sure it's twelve elsewhere. But I mean that one. I don't have much. I mean, if anything, I may touch the the over. But Texas's offense was not stellar against Georgia, but again that's Georgia. So uh. The best game though, it's got to be Tennessee Ohio State, right, Yeah, that's gotta be fun. That should be the best game. And I'm surprised that that Ohio State is favored about seven and a half. Then again, you know they Ohio State's the interesting team that has very little momentum because of how they ended their season with their embarrassing loss to Michigan. One of those years where like if you're ever gonna end the kind of like Louisville, if louisvill would have lost in football this year, like it's the one thing you can't do is loose to them. This year. That was the same thing with Ohio State, and they messed around and did lose to this Michigan team that was subpar, but they have the best roster probably in college football. Therefore, you know, them playing well and winning this whole thing is really not that is really not that out of reach. Also though with Ohio State, I mean you also keep it keep in mind they nearly lost to Nebraska. Take the rivalry stuff out of it. But like Michigan alone is just not a very good team and they beat them. Oregon got them and that was a weird game earlier this year, although Oregon is the number one team. So you know, I maybe that spread isn't as surprising as I as I initially thought it was. But I don't know, just I just think these games are gonna be competitive, and I hate to do you know, just nothing but dogs. But I just have a hard time thinking that like anybody's gonna really get like I shouldn't say blown out and I guess losing by eight wouldn't be a blowout, But yeah, I think the Tennessee, Ohio State game is gonna be it's gonna be interesting. And then after that then we have, you know, then to moves on and those those teams waiting for their opponent, we'll we'll find out who they play. So I'm glad you mentioned, you know, betting on it, cause I'm excited to bet on it too, and I'm going to do it. But I've got an issue right now with FanDuel Sportsbook that oh yeah, I'm getting close to just saying, look, empty my account and close it. I'm done with you guys. And it's not like you know, I mean, I'll just explain what happened, and I get why they're doing what they're doing. But if you're gonna, like, if you're gonna be in the game as they say, and you know you're out here twenty four to seven, knowing that you are taking anybody's money whenever you can get it on anything like, you need to have better resources at your disposal to be able to like unlock somebody's account for something that's like silly. So I went to Tennessee over the weekend. As we discussed earlier this, I was in Nashville on Saturday and Sunday. So once I got into Nashville and I fired up the Fandael sportsbook, I'm now betting in Tennessee, and everything's done differently throughout the state, so they're very very particular on what you're like. You know, they're very particular on like the geo fencing. I don't know if you guys know what that is. The location stuff to where like that. That is probably the biggest challenge other than you know, people agreeing to make it legal in their states, some one of the biggest challenges is getting that technology down to where you because you know, think about how many states border each other, and if both have it's one thing if you end up. For example, I don't even know if this was true or not, but I did hear about it enough to where I do believe it was true. There was a spot on River Road before it was legal to gamble in Kentucky that you could go over there and park at this parking lot on River Road, of course, right across the river from Indiana, and you could get out your sports book app and sometimes or maybe one of the books would would connect to Indiana and you could bet without crossing the bridge.
Speaker 2: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again I've never done it, but I heard enough about it to where I do feel like there was some truth to it. And that's not that big of a deal. I mean, technically, that's not I mean, if anything that's that's not hurting Kentucky. That's just you know, an issue with Indiana not having the geo fencing or the geo stuff down the way it needs to be. But when you've got two states that are now both legal. If I'm betting and I'm losing, and I am technically in Indiana, but i'm but my app shows Kentucky, that would mean that Indiana should be the ones taking my money, but Kentucky's getting it because the location stuff wasn't worked out. Therefore, you know, they're competent, They're they're competitors now when it comes to like, you know, they want to they want people to be gambling in their state. So you know that that's a very like big part of you know, how we do gambling online with these apps and whatnot. And I suppose like you can give somebody your log in and they're in a different state than like you know, like for example, if I'm in a state that is illegal to gamble in and I have an account, but like when I log in, it just tells me I'm not a lot to bet because of where I'm at, and I can do like other stuff, like they got other things that are that are like you can do fantasy football stuff that yeah, within the within the FanDuel sportsbook stuff. So like if if I say, hey, Austin, you're in Kentucky where it's legal, I'm in Florida where it's not. I've got like two hundred thousand dollars in my account, go make a big bet, but I need you to log into my account to use it. So you could log in and it'll verify that you're in Kentucky. But if they can see from a technological technological standpoint that within like two seconds, these two this same account was accessed in two states. Way like they're gonna flag that for far, yes, So like I get that, but I don't think it's crazy. Like all I did was travel to Tennessee make wagers, and then whenever I got back to Kentucky, I tried to log into my account and it said that it's like suspended for suspicious activity. So you know, I don't know if I fired it up like right as soon as I mean, I don't know how the technology works. But if I'm in Tennessee on the app and I and I then cross state lines and in Kentucky on the app and that is that is flagged, then that's an issue with you, Like you don't have the ability to monitor that right effectively, because that's not fraud. That's somebody just traveling. And I don't think it's really that rare for somebody to be on the app while traveling, and you know, like what do you do when you're in an airport? Right, Like you know, if people fire up the app when they take off and then you know it comes back online when you land, like they're probably gonna flag that for fraud. So anyways, like I just felt like that was you know, oh that stinks, But I'll go through the process. So on Sunday night, they tell me what I need to do in order to in order to get my you know, account verified, and for them to you know, make sure that they that they don't think that I'm doing something fraudulent that they're not that, you know, they're not allowed to do, and you know, it wasn't it wasn't anything crazy. But I had to take a picture of my ID. I had to take a picture of myself holding a piece of paper that set the date. And then I had to take a picture of the card that was used in my last deposit. Well I didn't use a card, I used Venmo. So then they said if you do that, you can take a screenshot. So I submitted all that and they said, thank you, we'll be back. You know, someone from our team will be back with you in twenty four to seventy two hours, and you know, of course it's more on the seventy two hours every time. So then I get nothing like and when you go to try to start a chat with an agent, I'm like, hey, I sent you what you're asking for. Can I just like, can somebody just look at it so I can start betting again. And anytime I go to the chat and enter my login info, it directly ends the chat and tells me that there's already like an open thing for me and that they're and they're looking into it, so like there's no point of contact. I can't call anybody. It's a bot every time, and I have to wait like three days to get one level of correspondence. So I sent all the stuff that I needed to send, and then last night I get an update and it's basically the same thing.
Speaker 2: It's like a run around. It's mean to me.
Speaker 1: No, It's like, this is what they asked for a last time. It's like they didn't even acknowledge that I'd sent something previously. It says I needed to I needed to give them the approximate date I last access the account, the location that I last accessed the account from, and the type of device used to verify my location, the product I was using, meaning fantasy sportsbook or casino, and then the approximate date of the last authorized deposit slash wagers on the account, which, by the way, those are two different things. Deposits and wagers are not the same thing. And I haven't deposited in a long time to have to go back and like reference it. Luckily I found the initial screenshot, like I sent them that last time. Why do they do that now? And it's it's just a big wasted time to where I have money in that account that I want to use to basically spend with them. If I don't win, they get my money, right, That's that's that's how this business works. That's probably what they want. And they won't let me use it. And I can't even get in my account to empty it to go elsewhere.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so you're not you're not even able to log on. Yeah, it's the same thing with me because I'm going through that same process. I had to do it earlier where I took a picture of the back of my license, then the front and then a selfie because there was inconsistencies with my account. I don't know what that is, but I know at one point I was telling you that's off the air, and it.
Speaker 1: Sounds like similarities, like they just they think there's something like, wait a second, this account, there's not consistency as far as where it's where it usually logs in, how they verify location, that kind of stuff. Yeah, and I want to know, we've got to get you a break into it, and I I want to revisit this because I find I don't know how entertaining this to other people. But the my issue is not that they have to do all this, because I understand how serious this is, and it's got to be regulated, like this is a very serious thing that like they're going to make sure that they police this thing and regulated as best as possible, because you know, there's still probably people out there that wish we didn't have this kind of stuff because they think it's dangerous. So I get it, but don't be in my face every second of every day with marketing where you're clearly encouraging people to bet around the clock, and then when you don't have the resources and ability to like let people do it, people just have to wait. It'd be one thing I could just take my money to then be fine, But I can't even get into my account.
Speaker 2: And that makes you want to go to another competitor, of course.
Speaker 1: Of course, So last night, what did I do if I logged back into DraftKings for the first time in a long time, and luckily I had a hell a few phones sitting in there, and I fired off just one bet because I was just itching to get something, get something out, and I hadn't been looking at anything throughout the day because you know, I hadn't been into my account. Yeah, I didn't know what I was gonna be able to bed, but I got that Florida minus four. They nearly blew it, but they rolled on, which nice fuff for me to hit that. But also, you know, not a good look for the ACC as they had another bad night last night. And then here I am talking about a win that I got. My man, what was it four or five legs last night?
Speaker 2: You hit, yeah, a little four leg parlay. I think a two tough man I've been I've been doing with the four legger. I'll get two for a spread and then the other two over under. And I was sweating that. I was sweating that over under and one of the spreads because I think it was Radford. I can't bat, can't remember who they were playing, but it was a free throw contest at the end, and it was twelve and a half and it was just it was right at that one minute and there I think at one point that Radford was down by eleven, but they just kept fighting. I'm gonna have to go give me a Radford shirt now.
Speaker 1: Brad Bradford, Baby, that's the home of Carle Jones before he came to be a Cardinal's right shut out car League. All right, we got a lot to get to today. We're gonna get this thing rolling here. Not that we haven't enjoyed ourselves thus far, but bracketology. I usually hate it, especially this time of year, but it is a reference point as to is Louisville considered a bubble team or not. In the eyes of one bracketologist, they are kind of in the bubble. I'll explain. Also, there's a stat that we have to talk about with this Louisville team that it's not a good one. But I don't really know if I should be encouraged, discouraged or what. But we'll get to that. Also, this Netflix series about the SEC, which is gonna be awesome. They followed a bunch of SEC teams this year. Netflix did, and I don't know when that's gonna come out, but they followed Kentucky and one of the games where they were embedded within the Kentucky football program was the Governor's Cup game and I cannot wait.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's go see that.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be awesome. And then there's all kinds about the stuff. But we got to get to a break. I'm way too late here, but stick around, don't go anywhere. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety. One of my favorite Christmas songs for sure, Moose's definite favorite. Here loves this awesome Chuck Berry. Oh yeah, he's coming. He's coming around to Wham's Last Christmas.
Speaker 2: Oh he he's already to turn into a man.
Speaker 1: He likes it because I like it, But I want him to like it. You know what I'm saying. I don't want him to. I don't want him to just like by default say well, I love this song too because my dad loves it, which is really sweet, and you know I love that. That's that's you know, this is an age where you know, anything I do he just thinks is cool. That'll eventually fade, probably before you know, not before too long. But yeah, good good one there, Run run Rudolph, Santa's got to make it to town.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The Wham Last Christmas is a great song, even better music video. Oh them just stuff in the in the cabins. This guy seeing the love of his life that he literally gave his heart to last Christmas, I mean.
Speaker 1: And then the next day what they do just gave it away. Gave it away, and she's with the new dude.
Speaker 2: They're they're sitting around like at at the end, having some wine and he gives her that look, you know, like the.
Speaker 1: Son of a bitches with that is I mean, that's just I mean, I can't I'm getting I'm getting worked up thinking about that kind of betrayal, that kind of you know, I.
Speaker 2: Can imagine when to go hang out, like why why even invite her that next year?
Speaker 1: And where that video is like filmed? That just that's what I want Christmas to be. Yeah, I'm saying, like nothing but snow and everybody very beautiful men and women and furry coats and big dogs and nice hair. Yeah, oh yeah, very very nice hair.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's what I want. That's the perfect Christmas for me. Maybe one day. I mean, it's got to be like I don't even know if it was actually film there, but like it's got to be based in like Aspen or something or Veil. Yeah, I'm thinking Colorado or somewhere in the Northeast.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but somewhere maybe even even even wanted to get freaky, maybe in Canada, somewhere that could be could be and and just a little side shot Chuck Barry's run Run Rudolph. They came out with something last week said that's like the favorite of every States song during during the Christmas time. This took Kentucky's was run.
Speaker 1: Running Now nice. I'm proud of my people. There we go. That's that's a classic. All right. It's coffee and Company and we are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us as we take you up until six o'clock. In about an hour, around four thirty, we're going to talk to doctor Larry Binns of Pro Rehab Physical Therapy. As always we look forward to our chat with doctor Bens and Louisville is dealing with a lot of injuries this season, and that's one of the things we'll talk about with Larry. Not necessarily, well, he may. You never know. With Larry, I never want to put him in the spot because obviously he's very well connected with u of L and Pro Reha Physical Therapy is a big partner with u of L, and Larry was actually with the program during their trip to the Bahamas. And I don't think I need to tell you guys, Larry's very much affiliated with U of L in a way that most aren't and a big supporter and on the board of trustees and that kind of stuff. So I never want to put him in the spot of like me asking a question and that like he's not gonna answer and isn't allowed to or maybe just wouldn't want to, and you know, just not gonna put him in that spot. But sometimes I won't, but I'll kind of like insinuate that, hey, I know you can't answer this, or you may not know, but you know, And then as soon as I get there, then then I can kind of get a read is he gonna give us anything or not? So he he may. In fact, I have a hard time thinking he does not know the status of Trey Ora as far as when he's gonna be back. But you know, will he tell us, you know, maybe maybe he says he thinks he could be back in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure. I'd always heard that with Trey Ora. The timeline was right around the North Carolina game at the end of the year or maybe early January, so you know, again, and it's not like getting trailray Back is going to change things substantially as far as like you've added a guy who's gonna give you eighteen a night, nothing like that. But even if the statu sheet and by the way, he was a stat stuffer at Long Beach State and we only saw him play in two games. Now, he's not a shooter, but he's a really good passer, really good defender, really good athlete to where you know, if he gets in space, I mean, he's he's one of those guys that I kind of feel like, in fact, I don't know this for certain, but I do feel as if most people don't realize how much he can actually help you. But I also don't want to act like it's a complete game changer to where all right with him back, now this team can go beat Kentucky, it r up and that kind of stuff. But one just having another fresh body that can you know, do a lot of different things may not produce a lot of you know, points necessarily, but you know, really getting anybody back would be big right now, no matter who it is, just because of injuries. But we know we're not getting Prior, and we know we're not getting korin Johnson back, and obviously that's sayeah, that's a real bummer. But the reason I brought all this up is because to tie into the whole injury stuff with our conversation we're having later with doctor Ben's. There's a stat here from Kelly Dickey, of course, U of L. You know, statman. I mean, that's not a good I mean, that doesn't sound well. I'm not doing him justice by just calling him the UFL statman, but he is somebody that has for years now on Twitter provided like really good I mean stats that I don't even know how he would obtain the information. But I'm gonna believe him, trust him, because I don't think he's ever been wrong. He's like a UFL rain man or something. But anyways, Louisville currently is shooting fifty nine point four percent from two point range, meaning you know, field goals that aren't threes or free throws, including an insane number here. Ninety one point two percent is James Scott's field goal percentage. So he's not an offensive weapon, but I will give him credit that ninety one point two percent means he knows where his bread is buttered. He knows what he is as a player and he's just gonna dunk it near the rim or only take layups. So the two point nine percentage points higher this this then it's yeah, this the fifty nine point four right now. If the season ended, it ended today, this, that would be the best season on record for u of L. As far as field goal percentage. That isn't three just fiel, you know, field goals and free and anything that's you know, not a free thrower or a three pointer. Now let's talk about they're three point shooting percentage. Twenty eight percent from three point range is actually two point six percentage points lower than the worst season Louisville ever had as far as shooting it from downtown. And in fact, that season was last season, so you know, one of the worst seasons ever. No surprise that it was one of the worst shooting teams ever. In fact, it was until this one. And when I tell you, I don't really know what to do with that, I mean, it's not it's really not that surprising because you know, we've we've seen games where they you know, they'll make seven, eight, maybe nine, but they shot more than thirty, or they'll shoot thirty five and make four or five of them, like it's I mean, and I'm just throwing numbers out there. Those maybe a little bit exaggerated, but you know, you know what I'm you know what I'm talking about. We've seen games where they just have not even when they make threes and you feel like it was a factor in the win, they just shoot so many of them that the percentages is usually never, never very good. So I know they shot it better than that against Kentucky. And you know, some of those are just tough shots that are probably not gonna be something you can make at a really high rate because you know they're tough shots. Even if even good players are gonna miss very tough I'm gonna miss more very tough shots than they're gonna make. So we know Chucky Hepberg can do that at times. We've seen Terrence Edwards show it recently, but you know that's still probably not going to be a super high percentage shot. And although you know they can do it, if you have to really rely on that, I mean, that's not a good recipe. So Pat Kelsey's going to continue to have these guys firing up shots, and I understand why. As I've said, many times. First of all, it's just what he wants to do. But also this team, their ceiling is certainly lower than it was before the injuries happened, and you know, with what he has to work with, I just don't see a scenario where, you know, if you end up being a pretty team that makes it into the tournament, maybe somehow like safely. I just don't know that there's a scenario where you've done that in the three point shot is not a big part of what you're doing, and your percentage is in fact much better than twenty eight percent. So they're not gonna stop shooting threes. I don't think that they should. But man like, if they could find a comfortable medium as far as like just knowing they can be a little bit more selective, like it doesn't just have to be. And I thought against Kentucky they were comfortable, they were more loose, they were kind of just out there playing ball. And yeah, every one of them. One of the weapons they have at their disposal is they they they're shooters. Kind of funny to say now knowing that the team shooting twenty eight percent, But like a lot of these guys have played college basketball for many many years and this isn't This is an outlier type of season for them. I think a factor in that is the style they're now playing it. But what I'm getting at is, like I hope that the Kentucky game was a sign of like, yeah, they're still gonna shoot threes, but it's not going to be all right, we're in the half court. We need to really pick up the pace and get a move on it to try to get the first decent look from three week in get because I feel like at times that's what they're doing, and that's that's at this point just not gonna work. We've seen enough to know that, like that isn't it. So if you're you know, if you're just kind of out there, not being in such a hurry offensively in the half court and you're taking what the defense gives you, and you know there's a lot more movement going on, it's not early in the shot clock, but you know you've made an extra pass and there's eight seconds left and you get a good look from Watermen or rain Smith, Like that's where one I think you know that that's a better recipe for the for the shots to fall. I think those are better rhythm shots than what I've seen at times from these guys when they just kind of start jacking it up there. But you know, I also think it. I just think that's the way this team should play. And and they're starting to get there. But in any moment, like I won't be shocked if we if we see them come out against Florida State and it's right back to everybody just firing it up as quick as possible because they's somewhat open, and that's what their coach wants them to do. You know, they're getting more comfortable in the half court, there's no doubt about it. And that's that that goes along way. But here, here's what happens.
Speaker 2: Like if you end up and.
Speaker 1: If you end up taking a quick three, and this happened against Kentucky, and I don't have the stats in front of me. I'm just trying to pull them up here, but I don't need them for where I was going. But if you just jack up in early three and you don't have somebody back right away your quick miss, that ends up in maybe somewhat of a long rebound. That's that's that's leading to fast break points. On the other end that you're just giving up free points because you took an early shot and didn't have somebody back. Like the risk the risk reward there just doesn't add up to me. You know, you don't make enough of them to where you can justify continue continuing to shoot them that early in the clock and not having somebody back because teams are just stealing points. And this is again that's a result that one you don't want ever, but also like you don't you don't have a lot of margin for air like that, you can't be given up points or turning it over way more than your opponent because like you're already gonna have to play pretty well and and and limit mistakes and shoot well to beat good teams just because again you just you don't have a high ceiling anymore with the limitations that your roster has. So you know, when you have more turnovers and your opponent they have way more fast break points than you, and you know you're you're not getting to the free throw on as much as them. Like those are just things like you can still mess around and win some games like that. I think it'll depend on who you're playing, but I just think there's some little little adjustments that can be made, and I think some of them look like they were being made against Kentucky. That I think, you know, doesn't mean that it changes everything, but I think it could actually go a long way for this team to just, you know, not be so reliant upon the three. They're always gonna need it, there's no doubt about it. But at the same point in time, like if you rely on it that much and you're having like an off night early, you can get behind twenty. I mean, that's kind of what's happened in some of these games. So again, not a great stat by any means, but really not that surprising. All right, Well, what I want to get to On the other side, we'll give you an update on which players for Louisville have have opted out for this Bowl game. It's actually not as big of a list as I would have expected. So there's that. And then also we got to talk about the Netflix documentary series that was filmed during this college football season. Kentucky of course one of the SEC teams that's going to be a part of it, and I love the two games we know, or the two weeks I guess we know that the Netflix crew was embedded within the program because it's going to be a very enjoy a very enjoyable watch for Louisville fans, So stick with us. It's Coffee and Company. We're feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety. At my dorm in Springfield, Kentucky, at Saint Catharine College in two thousand and six, this song probably played a billion times. My roommate Rashad who was a big fan of this song, and he introduced me to a lot of a lot of things that I didn't, you know, experience in Bulat County, Kentucky. He grew up in New Orleans. But yes, that song took me back to those to those days. So thank you for that, for that Austin Jim Jones, Dude, that was like that was every warm like every team in basketball. I feel like at any level college, high school, like everybody warmed up to that song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that year I had a stranglehold on me n O six. I was in sixth grade. Every everyone loved that. It was one of the first songs of my m P three player not even an iPod m P three player.
Speaker 1: That's old school. Do you remember Jim Jones is like ad libs. Yeah, he would just ye like and it worked, you know what I mean. Like sometimes there are you know, just I guess trademarked ad libs, maybe literally or just you know, it's kind of a known thing. That's what they that's what they do when it comes to ad libs. Whenever they're they're about to do a verse, are in the middle of their verse, and some of them are like that that I don't even know what that means, but man like that, that works. That works. That sets the tone here. So good stuff, all right, Coffee and company. That's us. Hopefully you think this is good stuff. And if not, I'd say stick around and and and we'll you'll you'll change your mind. If not, then I think you I think that's a you problem. But we are fueled bout Thornton's. No problems there. Get the breakfast sandwich. I saw they did like the Spotify was it Spotify wrapped or whatever at the end of the year where they show you like all the so Thornton's did did one of those for their items that they had and they got a lot of good stuff, but no surprise, the breakfast sandwich, the legendary sausage, egg and cheese frossant. That was one of the top items. And you know, I get it because it's really good. I was a big factor, me and you both the big factors and why that was one of the best items. So again, support those who support us. That's all we can ask of you. So become a member of the Refreshing Awards program at Thornton's if you haven't yet. All right, So, the list of players that are opt outs for the Sun Bowl outside of guys who've already hit the portal, that's a given. You know, those guys obviously aren't aren't gonna end up playing in the bowl game. But then the others are just guys who are getting ready for the NFL Draft, Tyler Schuck, Jacory Brooks, Ashton Jalotti, and Marii Huggins Bruce, which is kind of a head scratcher. Maybe he's just like, yeah, I'm done, I don't want to go to El Paso, Texas on New Year's I'm done with my college football career. Because he did say that he was going to go to the NFL Draft and start training for that, and you know, I'm not going I don't be mean, but like, I don't think he has any chance of being in the NFL. But hey, you know, maybe I'm wrong, but yeah, you'll be not the same team that you You know, you've been throughout the year when you don't have your starting quarterback and he played every single snap, it seemed your best receiver and Jacory Brooks, your best defensive player in Ashton Jealotti. But you know, I feel still, I mean, Louisville still favored, and those things are are factored in. Whenever you look at the line, they'll they'll adjust it dependent upon who they hear is is opting out in Louisville. I mean, they still have the freshman running back super great, and still some really good players on this team, Chris Bell, a receiver. I mean, you know, you still have a good team, but it's much different. And you know, a big part of winning and losing a game is at times quarterback play. And we don't have a clue what we're going to get out of the guy that's going to start, which I assume is going to be Pierce Clarkson. All Right, So speaking of transfers, I'm looking at where some of these guys have landed, and I don't know, and I'm sure there's some I'm missing, but I did see earlier today Jamari Johnson, the tight end that I you know, really really really thought highly of and wanted to see stick around and have a great career. He's going to be the one that breaks my heart, meaning well, he'll go elsewhere, which, by the way, we now know where he's going. He's going to Oregon, which he originally picked ufl over Oregon a couple of years ago. But he's going to go to Oregon, the number one team in the country. Clearly they've got money. I'm sure he got a lot of it, and Oregon is the number one team in the country. Therefore, like he's going to the team that is, you know, quite literally on top right now. I don't know if they're going to win the playoff, but you know, you don't want to lose anybody to that you like. But it's going to happen. And I think for me, just me, like knowing that he's going there, like it makes a little more sense because you know, I think money was probably a factor and Oregon is a big brand, bigger brand than Louisvill. Let's be real, So you know, it's not ideal that it happens overall, but like i'd be, I'm happier to know that he's going there rather than going to, like I don't know, a school that's at the same level of Louisville. And then Ben Perry I saw is transferred to. Is it UCLA? I believe I think that's where I saw he's gonna end up. So best of luck to those guys, and you know, maybe they end up having good endings to their career elsewhere. I mean, I know I think Jamar Johnson will. But Ben Perry's one of those guys that, like I would like for him to be back because hey, he gives you good depth. He's played for a few years. But like you can lose him and know that, like the likelihood of being able to kind of fill that void is doable. With Jamari Johnson, I think that's doable as well, especially when you've got again, as we talked about yesterday, the number one tight end in the portal from Perdue that took took a visit to campus. All right, So this news came out earlier today, And by the way, all jokes aside as far as like wanting to see Kentucky feature during their worst season in the Stoops era, like that is going to be a factor. But like I'm this is right up my alley, these Netflix documentary series that follow college football programs. I mean, JUCO was the Last Chance You show, which I loved, which, by the way, I don't know people realize this, but the Netflix show Wrestlers that was produced by the same guy who did Last Chance to You and Cheer, So I love these types of shows. I'm a documentary dork. I've talked about that quite a bit. But this is, you know, this is the subject of this is something that I think you know that I'm highly interested in college football. So there are a handful of teams that did, in fact choose to opt out, and we can get to that a little bit later, because I do want to have a conversation more so on like why you would opt out and what the pros and cons of being on this are. But what we do know about the Kentucky part of it is they're featured this seaton. They're going to be in the first season, and apparently there's some that they're going to be doing next season that are going to be a part of it. So I guess it's a two part thing. But Louisville or not. But the Louisville game in the South Carolina game are there are the games for Kentucky where the crews were in town featuring this wildcap program. And I don't think and I mean this, I'm not sure you could. You could if Kentucky fans had to say, Okay, we know they're gonna be here for two games, they're gonna be with They're gonna be embedded within the program, filming week of practice, off the field stuff during the game, Like that's how this stuff works. If there's two games I want to make sure they're not there for it would be these two. No what other game, because I mean, they beat Ole miss that's not gonna be on there they I mean, they'll probably reference it, of course, but they played Georgia to the wire. That's not gonna be on there. And then really, you know, other than that, they lost it. And there aren't many good moments to choose from. But I think these are the worst because it's your rival. You're just beating the brakes off you. When your your program is in clear full toxicity and you don't want your like it it, that's the worst time. And I don't mean just because of the rival, but like at the end of the year, like, let's be honest, Kentucky fans were pissed that Stoops was coming back, and they probably still are, to be honest with you, because not much has changed. And then the South Carolina game, I mean, that's that was when you I mean, I guarantee you there's there's because think about this, Austin. Before they played South Carolina, they played Southern miss and one. At that point, they still lived in that fairy tale world where they were like something that they they're not. I mean, they were coming off of a decent season last year and yeah, they still had bragging rights at the time against Louisville, but like you know, they were the cocky, over the top version of themselves leading up to South Carolina because they actually thought that they think they're snobs to South Carolina. They actually, you know, until this year, they felt as if, despite losing two in a row, that for some reason that like they were superior and they could be the elitists when it comes to South Carolina, which was just so unwarranted, and then they got beat for the third straight time and got in Yeah, they got crushed in that game, just completely hammered. And at that point, like again I thought at that time, Wow, I don't think I probably said it on the show. Wow, I've never really felt the Kentucky fan based this low on Mark Stoops. What a letdown. And then little do they know that they would only win one SEC game that year and finish four and eight and one and seven in the league. So, I mean, honest question, not trolling. If you're a Kentucky fan, would you want to watch that? I think there's something cool, I guess regardless of what of what of what comes, you know what's going on to see, because again, this is cinematic stuff. This isn't like ESPN interviewed somebody in the locker room before the game. This is like feature films, cinematic like storytelling, like it's it's not to be too nerdy here, but it's quite literally art and it's and it's interesting. And when it's something you know a lot about and you're familiar with, like your team, it could be interesting. But it could also be like, I don't think you're gonna see anything that makes you maybe view stoops differently. Maybe it does, I'm not sure, but like I would have a tough time watching that, Like I think I could. I could say, all right, look it's gonna suck, but I I'll tune in because I want to see my programs sort of in that in that in that light, meaning on this really cool show. But then when you see what they're covering, like it'll probably just remind Kentucky fans how bad the season was. Like it could be one of those things that and I don't know when it's gonna come out, does it say? Let me see if I can pull up the date here, Yeah, it'll be it'll be released. Here's what it says, by the way, says Netflix announced the show earlier today, which will provide an unfiltered access to coaches and players in the college football and college football's most dominant conference and give an exclusive look at key matchups throughout the season. It says here the series is produced about Box to Box Films, the same company behind uh Sprint, Full Swing, Formula One, Drive to Survive, and Breakpoint, and it says that it's going to be. They're gonna be eight forty five minute episodes and it will be released this summer in twenty twenty five. So think about this. You could like maybe you ended up doing decent in the Portal and you're just like, there's no real no, you don't know for sure how good you're going to be, and you're just trying to find hope and you want to be excited, and you're just trying to think, Okay, last season was an outlier. Stoops really cleaned up the culture, and you're probably lying to yourself and when you're saying that, but you're just that's what you do as a fan because you don't want to be miserable. You want to just you know, be excited. But then you see this docuseriies right before the season starts, and you go back to like, uh oh, we still have this guy as our coach, and man, yeah, those guys might have been knuckleheads, but man, we don't have a Deon Walker out there, we don't have a Dane Key. We've lost really talented players. So maybe they clean up in the Portal and it's a totally different situation, But like, I don't think that could have worked out worse for Mark Troops in Kentucky as far as how the season went and when the when the Netflix people were there filming.
Speaker 2: I love what Netflix is doing into the sports realm now, and they did the thing with the quarterbacks a couple of years ago. And I'm biased because they've been featuring Vikings the last two years with Justin Jefferson and the wide receivers. And I'm also hearing some talk that there hasn't been anyone that come out right setup, but they've been saying that there's a lot more camera in productions and NFL locker rooms this year, so I think that a lot of the people are saying a lot of the online chatter is saying that they're going to do the same thing, but with coaches. NFL coaches are going to take a few NFL head coaches and follow their journey, and Kevin O'Connell, the Vikings coach, probably may be one just as well. So I'm interested in seeing that. And then you got the full swing. I haven't watched a Formula one one yet, but that one's pretty good.
Speaker 1: People love it, but I just can't see myself getting into you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, if you had any like in trade like they had like an Anthony Richardson or the Colts or like a Shane sich In one. Yeah, you'd totally be into it.
Speaker 1: I mean this is I mean again, even if it's not on like necessarily something I'm really into, like college football, I'll binge these shows and watch the hell out of them. All Right, we got to get to the top of the hour break here, We're still rolling along for the next couple of hours. To stick around, we'll revisit the whole Netflix series thing, because again, there are some teams that chose to opt out. And I think what you're gonna see as this plays out, is it like there's risk there, right, You know, you need momentum more than ever in college football because guys have the opportunity in any moment to leave. You need money too, of course within il but like you're Kentucky for that matter, has no momentum and it's really crucial. Now maybe they get it back next year, who knows, But like, not only do you have no momentum, it's going to be publicized to millions of people to watch that like you were the fifteenth you know, best team in a sixteen team league all right, quick break, stick around