Speaker 1: Live from the heart of the nation's capital, this is a Jim Acosta Show special report. Live from the heart of the nation's capital, this is a Jim Acosta Show special report.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Jim Acosta Show. It's another day that ends in wine. Donald Trump trying to avoid accountability in America. He's sending out his son-in-law to do his dirty work. My big guest this hour is Jen Welch of the I've Had It podcast.
Speaker 4: Jen, great to see you.
Speaker 5: It's always great to see you, Jim.
Speaker 4: It is so great to see you.
Speaker 3: And I knew, you know, it's almost like the stars came into alignment where you were booked to come on with us on a day where we could talk about your friend, Hakeem Jeffries, the aspiring Speaker of the House- who the other day has this meeting with Jared Kushner.
Speaker 4: And I guess I was thinking about starting the show and saying, who are you, who have you had it with? And I, now I know I don't even have to ask.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What'd you think of this?
Speaker 5: I mean, I saw it and pardon my language, everybody, but I was just like, God damn it, Hakeem. You know, I'm just like, what are you doing? I think with the democratic establishment is quickly learning and they're slow learners, but they're, they're going to have to start learning a little bit more progressively here. Is that the base, whether you are a leftist, a progressive, a liberal, a centrist, or a moderate, we want fighters. Did you see the guy from Canada that stood up where he's like, Trump can kiss my ass. This guy's a loser. We want that all day, every day, 24-7, 365. We all think Jared Kushner is a crook. We think he is in bed with the Saudis who funded 9-11. We think he is stealing an island from the Albanians. They were on like a month-long protest over the Kushners. There is no meeting with Jared Kushner about affordability because Jared Kushner doesn't understand affordability. He doesn't care about affordability. I was so upset when I saw this because I want politicians that fight fascists. Right.
Speaker 3: I mean, the only affordability that Jared Kushner is thinking about is the affordability of Albanian islands, I think.
Speaker 4: That's the only affordability he's concerned about.
Speaker 3: And I talked to a House Democrat, you know, lawmaker who didn't want to be, you know, named and saying this, but some of them are taking this as a signal that Hakeem Jeffries might be willing to do kind of a Merrick Garland thing and look the other way when it comes to all of this corruption that we've been witnessing over the last year and a half, which has been ungodly. And I just don't I don't get how he thinks he can send the right message by doing this. Like, it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 5: The parallel with Merrick Garland is perfect. And I have long said and in my upcoming book, I write that the biggest mistake of Joe Biden was appointing Merrick Garland. Yeah. And he did it because Joe Biden was playing integrity politics. But after January 6th, integrity politics was out the door. We had a sitting president of the United States that riled up a bunch of low-level criminals because they were funded by high-level criminals all the way up to like wives of Supreme Court justices. And they tried to go kill Mike Pence. Mike Pence is a Christian. He's a white guy. He's allegedly heterosexual. All the things that all of the MAGA people want in a man. And he still almost got killed. And if they would have gotten near him, they would have attacked him and probably injured him severely and or killed him. It required a pit bull in the moment. And it required a president of the United States that said, look, I know typically I'm hands off, but this is different. These are unprecedented, extraordinary times. I want you to get the high level people who funded this, who organized it. If that's the former president of the United States, giddy up, go get them. And so that was the big mistake. That is what has incubated a lot of this. That's what incubated the Supreme Court giving Donald Trump immunity. I don't want a government that colludes with criminals. And I believe that the executive branch is a crime syndicate. I think Jared Kushner is. is a dipshit who has failed forward his entire life. Why is he in the center of meeting with Vladimir Putin? Why is he meeting with Benjamin Netanyahu?
Speaker 2: Why is he.
Speaker 5: Getting so rich all of the day, all the time? And I just, I was so disappointed to hear this because we want, one thing that unites the base right now is a fighter. If somebody fights- then you can get the leftists and the moderates together and say, we believe in this person because they're fighting for our country.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with everything you just said. And, you know, I mean, we should give Hakeem Jeffries his due. He did put out a video statement, which I don't know. I don't think it helped matters. I think it probably hurt because it didn't sound that great. But let's play it and let people decide for themselves.
Speaker 4: What's up, y'all?
Speaker 6: Just finished up an event here in the community in Brooklyn. I want to give you a little real talk on this Jared Kushner.
Speaker 7: Situation.
Speaker 6: He asked for a meeting and I took it to discuss the affordability crisis that exists that is not a hoax. At the same period of time, I shouldn't have to say it, but I am. No one is going to get a pass. We're going to hold every single member of the Trump cartel accountable.
Speaker 4: Beginning on day one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I, Jen, I mean, I do think it's helpful that he said that, but the fact that he has to say that is to me, it says that a lot of Democrats were really pissed off when they found out about this and said, Hey, wait a minute. Are you going to, are you going to let these guys off the hook? I mean, he had to address that. And I, if it's an affordability meeting, why not publicize that? Why not say I'm having this meeting? The fact that it was done in secret is, is, is not a good, not a good sign, not.
Speaker 4: A good indicator.
Speaker 5: No, it's not a good indicator. And then it further highlights and puts a spotlight on who Hakeem Jeffries' donors are. And that's a problem. When you have the same donors that are funding this fascist regime, that is a conflict of interest. And that's why you're seeing people like Abdul El-Sayed, Zoran Mamdani, and others, Nixon in Florida, who are not taking corporate PAC money. That's why you're seeing them win. Because- We don't have an appetite for a lobbyist or a PAC that funds MAGA and funds Democrats. Because then it's like, well, it sounds like both of you are just working for this lobby and not for the people. And so that makes me think, OK, Jared Kushner's, you know, asshole buddies with all of these tech oligarchs. He was on his friend's boat when they discovered this island. It's so out of touch.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: But Hakeem has some of these same donors. And here's where this gets tricky. Right now we're in the fight of our lives for our country. I believe that these midterms are our final guardrail. And we don't have the luxury to micromanage and nitpick Hakeem all the time. So my message to Hakeem is hold the line. No more private meetings. Work for the people. Whatever your past is, whatever donations you've had, there's nothing we can do about that. But you're going to probably be the incoming Speaker of the House. Play catch up with what the people want. And remember that the only thing that's going to defeat these powers, these evil, nefarious powers, is the power of the people that has 250 years of winning behind us. And ride that momentum, Hakeem. In another place where we're running against Mitt Romney or something, we could sit here and nitpick Hakeem until the cows come home, but I'm just asking for the bare minimum. Don't collude with fascists. No private meetings. Nobody believes for a second that Jared, I have a $ 6. 5 billion fund with the Saudis who also paid for 9-11, who also killed journalists, gives a flying fuck about affordability. Nobody thinks any of these billionaires in the Trump regime give a fuck about affordability. I think it's bullshit. And I also think Jared Kushner did it. I think he invited him and I think he set a trap and I think Jared leaked it. Well, why would Jared leak it? Historians are saying that a lot of these fascist regimes produce propaganda that makes you feel nihilistic, that makes you feel like, I don't know if I even really want to vote. What's the point? And I think it was all a plant. And I think that it shows the way the Republicans are playing one game and the Democrats are playing another. Hakeem probably walked in there and thought, okay, I'm going to meet with him. And Jared Kushner fucked him.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad that you said that because I've been thinking about that too, that Kushner had the meeting with Hakeem for the purpose of leaking it to get Dems fighting with one another and causing a leadership crisis or conversation or whatever it is.
Speaker 4: And controversy.
Speaker 3: And if that was the case, then mission accomplished because now there's all of this discussion of who should be the speaker. Should it be Hakeem Jeffries? Does he understand the assignment and so on? And the other thing too is that this is a no-win situation for Hakeem Jeffries. We are right now in the midst, Jen, of an effort by Donald Trump and his people to meddle in the midterm elections. They're already doing it. And so if you're Hakeem Jeffries, the only the only reason why you would want to take this meeting and then you want to leak about it first, you don't want to let Jared Kushner go first. You go in there and you say, listen, you son of a bitch. If you meddle in these midterms, if you try to steal these elections, we're going to impeach his ass on day one. We take power next year. That should be the only message. And then you walk the fuck out. And then you call Maggie Haberman at the New York times and And you say, guess what I just told this fucking guy?
Speaker 4: It is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: And when I saw this, I just about hit the roof because I couldn't understand it. It only makes sense if you tell these sons of bitches to back off of our elections because they're trying to do it right now with the post office and everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I think that this is a part of their overall plan of meddling in elections by doing stuff like this. They're so diabolical. There's no plan it. No planet where Jared Kushner earnestly cares about affordability. That world does not exist. That is bullshit. It is a jet stream of bullshit. That does not exist because these people don't understand what affordability means because they're cheaters. These people sit at desks, paperclip and staple, and then ridicule people who actually go out and labor things. And actually put their blood, sweat, and tears and elbow grease into something. These guys don't have the slightest clue about any of that. They don't even know what it's like to go through a TSA line, which, my God, is a miserable experience. But they're so out of touch. And so the one thing that I'm somewhat pleased with is that I think these internal polling numbers that Republicans are getting are so bad. And there is an acknowledgement from the Trump regime. The Supreme Court decision that I saw yesterday, I started to get mad about it. And I thought, you know what? All of this is an acknowledgement that we all still have power, that people have power. So don't let their attempts to make us feel nihilistic, to make us think, why should I vote? Don't let that work because that's what the Supreme Court did. That's what Jared Kushner just did. They're trying to suppress us, our energy. our ability to understand that we still have power. And so we need to spin these things into, oh, they're scared. They're scared of all of us. And we'll handle our own. We'll push Hakeem. And it's a problem that we can handle within our own party. Like you work for us, no more meetings with fascists. And I'm clearly in his video, he got the message that that is not going to be tolerated. I mean, because you had even, what's his name?
Speaker 4: Carville.
Speaker 5: I mean, he lost his mind going after Hakeem over it. And it's from the left all the way to the center. Everybody's mad about it.
Speaker 4: It's the whole party.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And the other thing, too, is they go into your point about how they don't give a shit about affordability.
Speaker 4: They could give two shits about it.
Speaker 3: Look at what they're doing with Canada and this trade war with Canada, which is going to drive up the cost of all kinds of things in this country.
Speaker 4: And Trump is in this simplistic position.
Speaker 3: You know, he fires off the simplistic truth social post that says we're going to rename Lake Ontario, Lake America. He's running out of material. He's not only running out of brain matter and brain cells, he's running out of material. He puts these true social posts out. They're going to call it Lake America like the Gulf. It is so what's he's gone. He's gone.
Speaker 5: Here's what I say about this.
Speaker 1: Do it.
Speaker 5: That's just one more thing that we get to change back. I want this guy in a straight jacket, padded cell, in a jail with screens all over him. And I want a toothpick right here and a toothpick right here. And I want all of this stuff live streamed, taking the gold off the statues, taking his name off the Kennedy Center, taking all the gold out. And this is one more thing that we can sit and just have little kids, preferably immigrant children, Crossing out American, writing back, no, Ontario, and I want him to watch this. It's just one more thing that we get to say, you're stupid, and we're changing it back because we're normal fucking people.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's like a clockwork orange. That's what they need to do with them. For folks who don't get the reference, go back and watch it. And the other thing, Jen, we should get into, you mentioned immigration, and I'll do that very quickly before we go to a lighter subject, which is picking on Jesse Waters. But I will say when I saw the White House put out this meme changing the magic school bus to the magic deportation bus. I mean, these people inside the White House social media shop, they're like the lowest of the low incels that you could possibly like.
Speaker 4: You know, it's it's it's disgusting.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's absolutely disgusting. And I want your producers to pull up a photograph of Stephen Chung and pop that up. Stephen Chung is behind all of this.
Speaker 7: OK.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And here's my thing. I typically don't like to punch down. I typically don't like to ridicule other people's appearances. But when it comes to these fascists, you're goddamn right. I want to talk about what an obese, cankles, bad hair Donald Trump has. And then you have Stephen Chung. This guy is the one who puts out all this ASMR. He puts out all of this recreational cruelty. And once you see a picture of this guy, the viewers of Jim's show, this guy thinks he has the audacity to dunk on people. And I don't know if y'all found it or not, but we'll get it up there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, we will.
Speaker 3: And I totally agree with you. And I've known Steve Chung for a long time. He's one of those OG Trump guys. And they they love to be cruel. I mean, it's something that gets their job, you know, gets totally off how they get their jollies.
Speaker 4: And it's sick.
Speaker 3: And, you know, apparently there's some reporting out there that Natalie Harp was the one who, you know, posted the Obama as apes.
Speaker 4: Meme that was, or video or whatever that was on true social.
Speaker 3: And they collect these nasty people to run his social media. And I saw this, I saw this stuff the other day about, you know, Oh, don't pick on Natalie Harp. And you know, maybe she's just, she's something's wrong with her or, you know, you're picking on women and all this stuff. Natalie Harp was going after my ass when she was on OAN. She was being an election denier around January 6th. She knows exactly what the fuck she's doing. She's 35 years old.
Speaker 4: She's a grown woman.
Speaker 3: And she works for the president of the United States. She's with him day and night. And, you know, she's she's a part of this, too. And, you know, if she's putting out the Obama as apes video, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: She is fair game for criticism.
Speaker 3: And if she's leaving these really, you know, obsequious, like borderline deranged letters for Donald Trump, like all of that is fair.
Speaker 4: I don't understand this whole don't pick on Natalie Harp thing. Why?
Speaker 7: It's bullshit.
Speaker 5: Natalie Harp is a bunny boiler. Watch Fatal Attraction. Watch Glenn Close's character. Natalie Harp's new nickname is the bunny boiler. She is a bunny boiler. You don't want me to ridicule Natalie Harp. Tough titties. She is right next to the most powerful man in the world right now who is torturing everybody except for the bottom feeders that he collects. that work for him and or still support him. But I'm so sorry. You think that you can pick on everybody on the planet and then tell us who we can and cannot pick on when your president celebrates the deaths of Rob Reiner, of Mueller. Go fuck yourselves. We are going to pick on the bunny boiler all the time because it is complete. I mean, it is delicious that you have this idiot president being so obsequious to this other idiot. And this is just, it is embarrassing. It is humiliating. And I want to know who leaked the letters, who in the white house leaked those letters.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of speculation.
Speaker 3: It's Caroline Levitt, you know, she's Rachel McAdams and mean girls, you know, and she's, she's, she's the one who's behind it. You mentioned Steve Chung. We can show Steve Chung now, maybe Natalie boils the bunny. And Steve Chung eats the bunny.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Maybe that's what it is. Hots and pepper or whatever.
Speaker 5: Listen, here's the thing. This is the guy who's picking on everybody, dunking on everybody online. This is the guy who put Marco Rubio in his little Nike sweatsuit outfit.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 5: The same that Maduro wore. And he took a picture of Marco on Air Force One. I don't know if it was Bribe Force One or the original Air Force One. And posted, this is the guy who is out here dunking on everyone. So when everybody sees this shit that Trump is posting, it's not Trump posting it. It's this guy or it's the bunny boiler. We can beat these people. I mean, come on.
Speaker 3: That's what I've been saying all along. This country cannot come to an end. This republic cannot come to an end at the hands of these goofballs and lunatics.
Speaker 5: Do you know what I heard it called, Jim? Sorry to interrupt. The nerd Reich.
Speaker 4: I have heard this, yes.
Speaker 3: I think we're trying to get him on. I've heard this and, and it is kind of perfect. Now we have to tackle one more subject.
Speaker 4: Before you go. And that is your favorite anchor on Fox, Jesse waters. We talked about lady waters.
Speaker 3: We talked about Jesse so many times. And every time you and I talk about Jesse, you bring up the fact that he is kind of addicted to talking about penises.
Speaker 4: And I don't know why it's such a strange thing.
Speaker 3: I will say I'll give him some props for having Abdul Al-Sayed on a show because he had to know that he was going to get cooked. And Abdul Al-Sayed, who's running for the Senate in Michigan, he cooked Jesse Waters good on that show. And Jesse, because he's not very smart, he thought he got the better of this. But we should play a little bit because I guess Jesse was bringing up transgender stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't know what it was. And then they get into a conversation about circumcision.
Speaker 7: You think that's OK?
Speaker 4: I mean, do you so do you really want to have this conversation?
Speaker 7: Are you circumcised?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but I mean, that's a personal question, doctor.
Speaker 7: So you probably should want to move on. You probably should want to move on.
Speaker 4: Is circumcision different than castration?
Speaker 7: I think it's a problem.
Speaker 2: It's a problem that you think that you get to decide what happens between a doctor and a patient. And I'm just saying that, yes, circumcision is surgery on a kid's ding-a-ling.
Speaker 4: So if you really want to bring that up, you can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was Jesse who brought up the word ding-a-ling at the beginning of this.
Speaker 4: I just want to make sure everybody understands.
Speaker 3: And You know, I there are obviously more important things in the world to talk about. But I mean, he had Abdul Al-Sayed come on Fox. And I thought kudos to Al-Sayed. He dunked on Jesse Waters like every time.
Speaker 5: Every single time. It was a masterclass. And I think remember Pete Buttigieg used to be the only one that would venture over to Fox and he cooked them. I think the Democrats need to start going on Fox often and frequently. I think it's fantastic. Lady Waters.
Speaker 1: I mean, I.
Speaker 5: Really hate that I hate love her so much, but I do because I just find him wildly entertaining. I mean, I think he's a real piece of shit. But this whole thing about the transgender stuff, the Secretary of Education, Linda McMahon, stood with the president yesterday.
Speaker 4: I saw this.
Speaker 5: And lied. She lied, and she said during the Biden administration, there were secretive transgender surgeries happening in school. This has never happened. And it reminded me of Liz Cheney, who stood in front of the camera and lied and said that the Democrats allow fourth-term abortions. In both these cases, that would mean that really– egregious felonies had occurred and they would be all over the front page of the news. If a baby's born in a hospital and then killed, which is what Liz Cheney's claim was, somebody would be arrested and charged with a felony. If a kid went to school and got their wiener whacked off and then went home, there would be charges. It's further insane that they're acting like there are these doctors and ORs in schools. But what this is, is even more diabolical than all of that. They are using a group of people that is less than 1% of the population who wants what all of us want. They want to, they have all the same kitchen table issues that we have plus more. They just don't want to be judged and ridiculed and the targets of hate crimes.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: So we have to love them extra hard, but they're using the trans issue in a really diabolical way to tell people, don't send your kids to school because Because they're going to trans your kids as though it's a choice and as though there's this mass conspiracy amongst all of these educators. And it's also a slam on teachers, which is a part of Project 2025. And it's also a part of Project 2025's endgame to shut down the Department of Education because the fascist project needs stupid people. So don't fall for this trans stuff. And I ask anybody who goes, well, I wish the Democrats would quit talking about it. As you can see there, it's the Republicans that talk about it all the time.
Speaker 4: They talk about it all the time.
Speaker 5: That's right. Lady Waters brought it up. And our job is to fight for these people to have the same rights that we have. And you don't have to understand it. You don't have to get it, but you certainly don't have to be a dick. And there's just no, there's no instance in the world where people are going into restrooms and And something bad is happening to them.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 5: Most people that get molested are sexually abused. It happens from a white, conservative, Christian, middle-aged man.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: That's the demographic.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: Those are the people that abuse children in large numbers.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: And the thing that I've talked about this on my show too, the thing that pisses me off about all of this is you're picking on vulnerable communities for political gain. And there's nothing more disgraceful than that. It's like the magic deportation bus meme. You're just picking on Latino people because you know you can get away with it and you can score political points on your bullshit shows, your bullshit social media. And they do this with trans kids. They do it with the trans community because they know they can. It's like beating up the little kid at the playground. You can get away with it 10 times out of 10 until somebody else bigger steps in and says, stop this bullshit. And I'm so glad that you said that because it breaks my heart.
Speaker 5: Mine too.
Speaker 3: That there are people in our society, they're just punching bags. They're just punching bags for Donald Trump. And it's because his second administration, I've been saying this on my show, absolute catastrophe.
Speaker 4: There's nothing that's gone right. It's a total disaster.
Speaker 3: Everything's bad. Everything he's done is bad. And so the only thing that they're left with is picking on the little guy.
Speaker 4: That's what it is. That's all that it is.
Speaker 5: You're exactly right. That's all they have. And if you notice, I'm targeted by all the right wing all the time. And all it is, it's just my appearance or they try to transvestigate me. And they're like, oh, she must be a man, blah, blah. And they think all of that stuff hurts me. And it's just like, okay, that's all you have. And it doesn't matter, but they don't have a central ethos. And here's the fundamental difference between me, a progressive liberal person and a MAGA person. I've fucking hate MAGA. I want to crush them at the ballot box. I want to salivate. Beating them is so good. I want to froth at the mouth. It's so fabulous. But I don't want these people injured. I want them to have healthcare. I want them to have livable wages. I want them to not have to file medical bankruptcy. And I told you, I fucking hate these people. I don't want them to suffer. And that's the fundamental difference. As you can see by the memes they're putting out, They want trans people to separate. They want the Family Values Party. They want to separate migrant children from their parents, which is horrific generational trauma. They like the idea of concentration camps, which now exist in the United States. Right now, we have people that are not criminals in concentration camps. And that's the fundamental difference. I fucking hate you as much as you hate me, but I don't want you to... experience pain by your government. I want your government to work efficiently for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if you can do that, if you can somehow convince them with actual results from policies that benefit them, and I've seen this time and again, I've gone to Trump rallies a gazillion times. And I used to say, you know, a lot of people I would see at these Trump rallies were people I would think of as Democrats, people who are disillusioned, disaffected Democrats, guys who come from the construction site, guys who come from the factory, elderly people who are clearly on Medicare are clearly on Medicaid.
Speaker 4: Don't have a lot of money.
Speaker 3: Their kids don't have a lot of money and they just absorb Donald.
Speaker 4: Trump's hate, hatred and vitriol. Like it's cocaine, like it's candy.
Speaker 3: And what they don't get is that they're just completely siding against their own interests and making their lives more miserable when they could be better. You know, I just, but he, he hooks them. It's, It's a siren song of hatred.
Speaker 5: It is. He's brilliant at it. He understood the electorate that there was a desire for the status quo to change. Now, he's a pathological liar, incompetent, bankrupted casinos, bad makeup, kankles. I could go on and on. But he understood the game of bullshit. He's a bullshit artist, and he did it very well. You can't buy me because I'm already rich, so I can't be bought and paid for, and I'm not even going to take a salary, and all the shit that he did. But the message there is that a populist message where you have politicians that are not bought and paid for by corporations– that really advocate for the people could really get some traction, which is probably why you have even people in the democratic party stage five melting down about some of these DSA wins. And I want us to have a political system where you can have the DSAs, you can have like Abdullah Syed is a capitalist, but a progressive, and we can have these really good conversations and not just this two party system. Because I feel like right now, in order to defeat fascism, I'm a progressive person, DSA curious, probably more of a capitalist, but understand that unrestrained capitalism has not serviced people well. But I understand that I'm going to have to collaborate with politicians like Hakeem Jeffries, who we mentioned at the top of this episode, who I'm madder than a hornet at right now. But I'm going to have to collaborate with him. And then the far, far left candidates in order for us to defeat fascism. Then once we get there, then let's have really good conversations about how to make government better, about how to make people's lives better. But we're never going to have those conversations with Jared Kushner, Howard Letnick, Scott Besant, Lady Waters, Lady Jennings. None of those. None of those people. They're all bullshit artists. They're all pieces of shit. They don't give a fuck about anything except for kissing people. An 80-year-old man's ass is the weirdest shit on the planet, these submissive maggot men.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they've got to go through Natalie Harp to do it, apparently. But, Jen, great to see you, as always. Another classic episode. Good conversation.
Speaker 4: Good to see you.
Speaker 5: You too, Jim. See you soon.
Speaker 4: It really was a great conversation.
Speaker 3: And I could listen to a Jen Welch talk all day, but I can't torture her like that. So I appreciate her giving us all the time that she had there. And keep in mind, you know, if you love that content, Jen Welch, Angie Palm Sullivan, they have the great I've had a podcast.
Speaker 4: You can get it wherever you get your podcast. They really are. just lighting it up these days. A lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Hey, let's move forward because I want to talk about the issue that I think might be driving this midterm election cycle really more than anything else.
Speaker 4: And I talk about a lot of issues on the show. We talk about immigration.
Speaker 3: We talk about Trump's vanity projects. We talk about the economy and the tariffs. And I mean, you name it, we covered on the show. One of the things I haven't really covered enough probably is the price of gas. and what's happening with the energy crisis in this country. Let's bring in Patrick DeHaan. He is gas buddy on all the socials, gas buddy guy on X and all the socials.
Speaker 4: Patrick's here with us right now to talk about this issue. Patrick, great to see you.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me, Jim. Really appreciate being here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good to talk to you. I'm such a fan of your work. And, you know, sometimes the simplest things matter the most.
Speaker 4: And you have.
Speaker 3: Your finger on the pulse of this issue better than anybody else. And one of the things that I saw from you recently, and we tried to book you when the story came out, and I think you were having some time off, kudos to you for doing that, is the fact that, and feel free to smack me upside the side of the head and tell me whether or not I've got this wrong, that gas right now, gas prices are their most expensive at the latest part of the year that we've really ever seen, that we know of, and that gas prices really shouldn't be this high around Labor Day. I'm sure I've butchered that in some way, so set me straight.
Speaker 4: But it is..
Speaker 3: Hitting people really hard on the wallet right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's what's unusual.
Speaker 2: Gas prices normally this time of year have gone down. I mean, even record gas prices in 2022. And that's what everyone turns to, by the way, when I say this is, oh, prices were higher.
Speaker 7: Yes, they were.
Speaker 2: But they've never been this high this late in the year. As an analyst, we look at a lot of different views. We look at different perspectives because What's applicable, we all know record-setting prices happened in June 2022 when the economy reopened and when Russia was fresh on its war of Ukraine.
Speaker 7: But right now, what's.
Speaker 2: Happening is a culmination of factors. And it's unusual to see gas prices this high this late in the year. And a lot of it, of course, is because the ongoing situation between the US and Iran, some of it, an increasing amount of what we're seeing now, also has to do with what's happening between Ukraine and Russia. Tremendous amount of drone attacks that Ukraine has lobbied against Russia And as an analyst, I don't take an opinion, right or wrong, successful or unsuccessful. But it's those drone attacks that are knocking offline major Russian refineries. And that is why we're seeing such an impact, even more, by the way, to the price of diesel, which is at $ 5. 58 a gallon. It's only $ 0. 25 a gallon from reaching a new all-time record. And so that, the Ukraine attacks on Russia, are increasingly impactful to what we pay at the pump as well.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: And I know you don't want to get too political about this, but that was something that Donald Trump said he would solve on day one of the second administration. He said he would end that war and that that hasn't materialized as of yet, obviously. But you mentioned diesel and that enters the political discussion as well in terms of the midterms. I was just looking at this piece in the Financial Times.
Speaker 1: U.S.
Speaker 3: Grain farmers face worst crisis in decades. As Iran war sends costs spiraling, farmers in the Corn Belt say they're facing the worst crisis in 40 years as an explosion in diesel and fertilizer costs are triggered. And so they're really taking it in the shorts right now. And they are in some very important midterm states.
Speaker 4: I mean, Iowa is a big one. Michigan. I mean, the list goes on and on.
Speaker 7: I mean, absolutely.
Speaker 2: You know, farmers are taking it on the chin much more. Corn prices are relatively modest, thankfully for that. But that is putting a tremendous squeeze on the nation's farmers. You know, anecdotally, I've seen more farmers walking away from the industry right now because of the tremendous amount of pain. It's not just diesel. As you mentioned, it's fertilizers. It's the cost of things like ammonia. The raw ingredients of a lot of the components that farmers use, they're just getting excruciatingly squeezed here And it's getting worse. Diesel is going up as we get closer to harvest. Harvest is not yet happening, but it will be in the weeks ahead. And unfortunately, the nature of gasoline prices are gas prices peak in summer, they decline in the fall.
Speaker 7: For diesel, it's traditionally the opposite.
Speaker 2: Prices bottom in the summer, because for those that don't know, diesel and heating oil are essentially the same product. And heating oil now, consumption is going to start going up As folks in more rural areas are filling their home heating oil tanks, cold weather, demand from farmers pushes diesel consumption up. And that's really where the Ukraine attacks on Russia are so problematic is that Russia is a huge producer not only of heavy oil, but because they produce a lot of heavy oil, they also have a lot of refining capacity. And one out of nine barrels of diesel globally tends to come from Russia. And right now they're not exporting a drop. because of the amount of refining attacks that have knocked offline huge refiners. And I want to quickly encapsulate this by saying it's always been about refineries. Everything we mentioned, hurricanes, when a refinery goes offline for maintenance, this is something that's becoming increasingly problematic because over the last 20 years, we've lost dozens and dozens of refineries. So when something happens at the refining level, whether here or in Russia, it's increasingly problematic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And Patrick, you know, when it comes to the war in Iran and how long this could drag on, I mean, I've heard some speculation that even if the Iran war were to end tomorrow or next week, that it would take a long time for gas prices to come down.
Speaker 4: Is that kind of true? How would you assess that?
Speaker 2: Well, the other wildcard I have to measure here is the recovery time. So one of the biggest wildcards here, you may have heard of a lot of analysts that were saying early on, $ 150 or $ 200 oil is possible.
Speaker 7: That didn't happen. The reason why it didn't happen was a shock to everyone.
Speaker 2: China, out of left field, suddenly slashed the amount of oil that it is buying on the global market. There's not really any reason why China would be doing that. It was a surprise. Now, if China suddenly starts buying oil again, that could be very problematic.
Speaker 7: And so you talk about recovery from the war.
Speaker 2: Early on, I would say a month or two after this started, I was saying that every week that the Sorry, every day that the straight remains closed, it may take a week to fully recover. Now, it may not be a full week now because Russia has greatly changed the trajectory. But to your point, it's probably going to take well into 2027. Some industries, some sectors, like some base oils that are produced for synthetic motor oil, that's going to take.
Speaker 7: Probably upwards of a year to fully resolve that.
Speaker 2: If and when the Strait reopens, it might take six months for oil inventories globally to get back to normal levels.
Speaker 7: So it's going to take a while.
Speaker 2: How long it takes is really contingent on the product, in this case, oil, how that could be impacted and refined goods through as well. Gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel also float through the Strait of Hormuz. But yeah, I mean, it's a big problem. And it's going to take a long time to fully recover.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And another thing that I saw you tweeting about, and you were trying to bat down some misinformation, which I always think is helpful, is there's a lot of talk about the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and where it is and how much is there and how much is left and so on. And I think I saw one tweet where you said, here we go with more Tucker Carlson style. The nation only has XX days of oil left. This is absolute raging clickbait. The SPR, the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, is at multi-decade lows, but there's not X days left because this is a strategic reserve. So it's important to note that we're not going to just run out of oil in the SPR, but it's still not a good situation for it to be as low as it is.
Speaker 4: Explain that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: And the social media myth that was circulating is, again, just like Tucker Carlson infamously said, and I think it was October of 2022, he said, the nation's going to run out of diesel by Thanksgiving. Well, that didn't happen because that 22 days of supply moves with the calendar. This 41 days that you've heard of moves with the calendar.
Speaker 7: It's a number that analysts look at. Basically, it's just a metric.
Speaker 2: It's looking at total amount of supply and dividing it by total consumption on.
Speaker 7: A daily basis. It comes up with a number.
Speaker 2: In this case, they used 44. I came up with my own number, which is 88 days. Again, taking inputs, dividing it by consumption. But that date moves along with the calendar. And then to your point, the other thing, there's a lot of misinformation about the SPR in the age of social media and the age of experts that all like to think they know.
Speaker 7: The SPR is one release. That release is..
Speaker 2: Takes many months to fully process through. You can't release 170 million barrels of oil overnight. And that's why this release is continuing. A lot of people think the release is going to continue until the SPR is basically empty.
Speaker 7: But that's not the case.
Speaker 2: We have about six to eight more weeks that the one release that Trump authorized in March, then it will be done. And when it's done, based on what we know now, the SPR will still have probably north of 250 million barrels in it. To everyone else's point, that is still mildly concerning. It doesn't keep me up at night, but it also means that the administration and whoever may be next or other politicians, it means the US does not have as many tools if there is some sort of other calamity that happens down the road.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the other thing, Patrick, and I just want to get back to the gas price issue, because I mean, if people want to understand why where folks are so hopping mad and pissed off around the country right now, I think a lot of it just boils down to gas prices and they are just enraged over this. And I was just your Twitter feed is absolutely, you know, a natural resource in and of itself.
Speaker 4: I was shocked when I read this. You posted this. I think it was yesterday.
Speaker 3: Live data showing that gas prices appear to be rising to four dollars and fifty nine cents a gallon in Idaho. $ 4. 39 in Utah, $ 4.
Speaker 4: 39 in Michigan. And I saw a.
Speaker 3: Piece, it was a political piece the other day, I think it was on PBS, something like that, where Idaho, there's a lot of independent candidates running.
Speaker 4: Because the Republicans have become very unpopular. No, it might've been Rachel Maddow.
Speaker 3: Republicans have become very unpopular all of a sudden in Idaho. Well, I would have to imagine a lot of this is because if you're paying $ 4. 59 a gallon in Idaho, that's gotta be insanely expensive for people who live there And what are you hearing anecdotally from people in terms of what they're telling you about how much they're paying right now versus what they paid a year ago or two years ago?
Speaker 4: It's extraordinary.
Speaker 7: I mean, it absolutely is.
Speaker 2: I mean, today, the national average is 93 cents a gallon more than last year. So the average American, every fill up is somewhere in the ballpark of, you know, 10 to 30 dollars more, depending on if they have an SUV, a pickup or a sedan. So, you know, you talk about those areas. Some states have a very predictable cycle of how gas prices work. And so most stations in Idaho, for example, and Florida and Michigan, they move very much in unison. If you want to go down a rabbit hole, we can do that on some other episode on how those prices move. But I mean, absolutely, people are going to be incensed as we get into the fall when prices usually decline. I called it back in March and April that when prices are so high for so long that Americans have to cut back, there is a very visceral response, especially when that happens over the course of the summer, when Americans have the opportunity to go drive around and go visit and.
Speaker 7: Go to national parks.
Speaker 2: Back to what we said at the front, Labor Day could be record-setting in terms of highest prices. That is going to be a tough pill. I mean, it was a very tough pill for Democrats back in 2024. It's going to be a tough one for Republicans this time around. Whenever gas prices are high going into an election, the incumbents generally are challenged with that because Americans point responsibility to the political party in power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I was just looking at your Other data points, you posted this about five hours ago. Gas prices appear to be rising to $ 4. 19 to $ 4. 39 a gallon in Pennsylvania, $ 3. 89 a gallon in Kentucky, $ 3. 69 a gallon in Tennessee. In the South, it can be a little cheaper. They don't have as many gas taxes.
Speaker 4: I guess. Florida, $ 3. 99 a gallon.
Speaker 3: But these are just ridiculously high prices. If you're going on one last trip for Labor Day weekend before the summer is over, And you're right. So many people drive SUVs these days have been driven away from electric cars and so on by this administration. They're just it's going to be it's going to be extremely costly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, and I don't drive a sedan and look at how many car manufacturers, by the way, have gotten rid of sedans.
Speaker 7: You have to drive a crossover and SUV. So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to that point, it's going to be a cost or holiday for Americans hitting the road, which is what I'm going to hopefully be doing. Now, thankfully, Indiana has, for some reason, decided to give up its gasoline excise and use taxes, which has cost the state of Indiana hundreds of millions of dollars.
Speaker 7: But that's why Indiana today, by the way, is the cheapest state.
Speaker 2: Traditionally, the cheapest prices are in Gulf states, where not only, as you mentioned, lower gasoline taxes, but there's also proximity to major refineries and oil producing wells. And not to get down too much the rabbit hole, but if you look at what people are paying, you know, a lot of the red States have the cheapest prices and blue States tend to be more expensive. But if you look at median incomes, those also jive median incomes tend to be lower where gas prices are lower and gas prices tend to be higher in States where median incomes are higher. So, you know, again, to go down this, this, this, you know, so many people have a very visceral response when they see, Oh, it's a blue state prices are higher. Well, All things similar, a lot of people earn more in blue states as well. And that is why, as GasBuddy, you have an app, we have an app to help people that are traveling for Labor Day find those lower gas prices. Because those state lines, those can be danger zones for either much lower prices by crossing into another state or much higher prices.
Speaker 3: Well, Patrick, thank you so much for joining us. And is it the GasBuddy app? So go check out GasBuddy. and find out where at least some relief might be in your local community. It may not be much, but it might be something. But thank you, Patrick, very much. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me, Jim. Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: Good to talk to you. Such an important issue. I mean, this is what is going to drive the election. Gas prices are going to drive the election. And this is why House Republicans are so freaked out right now, and I think some Senate Republicans too, that Donald Trump, because of his war of choice in the Middle East, has basically sealed their fates, many of them by and large, by launching this country into a misadventure that has made gas prices go up, something that Donald Trump said he would not do.
Speaker 4: And he has done it.
Speaker 3: A couple of final things to get to before we end the show. I have to mention this because we talked about the Kennedy Center so much. We've covered this nonstop since he put his name on the Kennedy Center, which he should have never done in the first place.
Speaker 4: And now he's in this childish place. tug of war with.
Speaker 3: Congress and the courts over whether his name should come down and whether his name should go back up.
Speaker 4: He took it down and now he wants to put it back up again.
Speaker 3: Now the Trump administration, this is according to NBC, this just came out this afternoon, they are now threatening to demolish the Kennedy Center if the court blocks renovation.
Speaker 4: So the courts are dealing with this right now.
Speaker 3: And one of the things that Donald Trump wants to have, and if he doesn't get his way, They're going to try to tear it down. This is according to NBC News. The Trump administration is for the first time threatening the demolition of the Kennedy Center if the arts institution isn't allowed to follow its plans for the site, including adding Donald Trump's name to the front of the building. So he's now holding the Kennedy Center hostage, ladies and gentlemen. That is what is happening right now. He is holding the Kennedy Center hostage. He's saying a nice arts facility you have there. Be ashamed if something happened to it. He is acting like the mob. And he is saying if you don't you don't put my name back up on the Kennedy Center, I'm going to demolish it. And I don't know, in what way could he act more like a criminal? I mean, I guess, you know, leave it to him. His diabolical mind is always churning. And so he'll come up with another idea probably before sundown. But that's the latest thing on the Kennedy Center. He is saying that he's going to do that. Now, when you talk about things that are going to be driving the election, obviously one of them is affordability.
Speaker 4: We talked about gas prices.
Speaker 3: Well, Hakeem Jeffries has said the House Democratic leader, he has said that one of the reasons why he met with Jared Kushner was to talk about affordability. I don't know why you have to have a secret meeting with Jared Kushner to talk about affordability, but that is the excuse that Hakeem Jeffries is putting out there to explain why he's having this meeting. I will tell you, and I talked about this earlier on in the show, and I'm going to say this in no uncertain terms before we go, Donald Trump right now is in the middle of trying to steal the midterms. He is right now in the middle of trying to steal the midterms. He is in the middle of trying to take over the Postal Service. This is the New York Times. Trump quietly asserts control over Postal Service amid plans to overhaul voting. The effort got new attention on Monday when the Supreme Court allowed preparations for mail voting curbs to proceed. The justices said it is not a final determination on the order's legality.
Speaker 4: Oh, gee.
Speaker 3: Maybe you should just stop the administration from changing the rules over at the post office rather than just letting them continue. But the Postal Service, like Donald Trump, is now under the thumb of this administration. The Postal Service, like the Supreme Court, is under the thumb of this administration. But this is also what the New York Times is reporting. The Supreme Court decision on Monday to allow the Trump administration to move ahead with its plans to restrict mail-in voting, threatened to introduce confusion into the midterm elections as states grapple with how to respond. The executive order at the center of the ruling directs federal agencies to create state citizenship.
Speaker 4: Lists of eligible voters.
Speaker 3: Those would be sent to state election officials and to the Postal Service, which could refuse to mail ballots for anyone whose name was not listed. I repeat, these citizenship lists would be created by the Trump administration and sent to the state's And the state election officials would have to use these lists to determine who can vote by mail.
Speaker 4: It says election officials right now.
Speaker 3: Are saying it's unclear whether the new rules could be put in place by the November election. Some states have already designed and printed ballots, a costly endeavor, and the first absentee ballots will be sent out starting on September 4th. So the states are already in the process of trying to plan for mail-in voting. because some people vote by mail. They have a physical condition. They may be traveling. There may be work reasons, all sorts of things. Donald Trump, ladies and gentlemen, votes by mail. He has voted by mail multiple times in his life. I believe he's voted multiple times by mail in this second administration.
Speaker 4: So he wants mail-in ballots for me, but not for these.
Speaker 3: So I'm not even talking about the redistricting.
Speaker 4: I'm not talking about the gerrymandering.
Speaker 3: I'm not talking about all of these other ways in which they're trying to rig this vote coming up this fall. He's trying to rig the postal service into some sort of, I don't know, election police force where you're not going to get your mail-in ballot if the postal service under Donald Trump doesn't allow that to happen. Now, somebody tell me how that makes any sense and how that sounds like America at all to you. It does not sound like the United States of America at all to me, which takes me back to to the meeting that Hakeem Jeffries had with Jared Kushner. Donald Trump has already tried to steal one election. He tried to steal it back in 2020 when he, remember he called Georgia and said, I need to find 11,780 votes. We all remember all of that. They're trying to do it again. He's trying to do it again through the post office. And so to me, if you're Hakeem Jeffries and you want to be the Speaker of the House and you want to be the leader of the Democratic Party until we get into the 2028 election, presidential election cycle, there is only one thing to say to Jared Kushner. First of all, Jared Kushner does not care at all about affordability. He doesn't care at all about gas prices. If he cared at all about gas prices, Donald Trump cared at all about gas prices, there.
Speaker 4: Would be no war right now.
Speaker 3: But there is a war and it's made gas more expensive. So they don't care about that. So put that out the window. Affordability is out the window.
Speaker 4: That is a total distraction.
Speaker 3: For what really needs to be the conversation between Hakeem Jeffries and Jared Kushner, and it should be this. Donald Trump and the people around you should be told in no uncertain terms that if they try to steal the elections this fall, they are going to jail. If they try to steal the elections this fall, they are going to be impeached. Impeached, removed from office, and sent to jail. And yes, I know there won't be enough Democratic votes in the Senate to convict. And yes, I understand that some people will say it's not good political advice for the Democrats to threaten impeachment. But that should be the message. You can send that message. You can have that meeting behind closed doors. And you can make that message very clear that if you try to steal the midterm elections, somebody is going to jail. Somebody is going to be impeached. And you need to make that... Perfectly clear to Jared Kushner, no uncertain terms. That's the only thing that needs to be said at any kind of meeting with Jared Kushner. And then you get up and you say, have a nice day. Don't try to steal the election. And you walk out, you walk out the door. That is the only thing that should be communicated to Jared Kushner. And that is what I think Democrats want to hear right now. That is the only message that they want to hear right now from the potentially incoming Speaker of the House, that protecting our midterms, protecting our democracy, protecting our elections is job one. And that leads me to this before we go. Donald Trump and Jared Kushner and the whole motley crew of election thieves, they are going to try to make it as difficult as possible for all of you to vote this fall, which is why I'm going to say on this show, And it is going to be a message that I am going to spread from here until November 3rd and what, 70 days from now. You need to make it your job to vote. To anybody listening to this, to anybody who cares, anybody wants to hear this, you need to make it your job to vote. A lot of families, they have a fire escape plan. They live in a house and mom and dad and the kids get together and they say, Susie, Johnny, if there's a fire, Fire in the house. This is the window we go out of. And we're all going to go out this window. We're going to climb down. This is how we get out of the house. And we need to look at our democracy in almost the same fashion. Donald Trump is a democracy arsonist. He is starting to light the house on fire. You need to understand this. I watched this up close and personal in 2020 when he.
Speaker 4: Tried to steal that election.
Speaker 3: He is an arsonist who's going to start another democracy fire in this country. You need to have a plan. That plan needs to be, okay, how am I going to vote on November 3rd? Am I going to mail in a vote? If you're going to mail in a vote, you need to make sure you're living in a state where they're not going to pull this monkey business. If you do live in a state where they're going to pull that monkey business, your ass is going to have to go to the polls on November 3rd and vote, or you're going to have to go cast a ballot through early voting. This is what I'm talking about. You have to make a plan. You have to make it your job. And that is that's my message.
Speaker 4: Pardon me for hitting the microphone.
Speaker 3: That is my message as we head into the fall. You know, kids are going back to school. Labor Day is coming up. Early voting is going to start in some states very soon. Ballots are going to start getting mailed out very soon. And people need to start. No more ostrich elections in this country, please. I've called the 2024 election the ostrich election. Pull your heads out of the sand and make a plan. Pull your heads out of the sand and make a plan. The House is on fire. He's down there with the matches. He's starting to light our democracy on fire. And my best advice to everybody, Democrat or Republican, for Republicans who want to vote, Have at it.
Speaker 4: Do your thing.
Speaker 3: It's not going to be a good election cycle for you. You need to understand that. And you're going to have to honor the election results. But Donald Trump is going to try to steal these midterms. He's doing it right now. The incoming Speaker of the House needs to understand that. Donald Trump is doing it right now. And Jared Kushner is helping him do it. So you have to have a plan. You have to have a plan or we're all going to be trapped inside the burning democracy.
Speaker 4: You catch my drift? Please.
Speaker 3: It's all on the line. It's all on the line this fall. Everybody has to be aware of this. No more ostriches. Pull your head out of the sand and make a plan to vote. I want to thank my friend Jennifer Welch for coming on the show today. Patrick DeHaan, the gas buddy, check him out as well. And my thanks to all of you for watching. And I don't say it often enough. Please support independent media. If you're enjoying this show, you can become a paid subscriber. And in addition to supporting independent media, you can become a paid subscriber and get immediate access to our brand new daily newsletter, The Jam. It's available now on Substack and on YouTube posts. Yes, you can get our newsletter.
Speaker 4: On YouTube as well.
Speaker 3: And anytime you subscribe, anytime you like, anytime you share any of our stuff, whether it's the show, the newsletter, on and on and on, you are supporting independent media. So thank you for doing that. I don't say it often enough. The other thing I should say before I go is our buddies over at Snapstream are helping us out these days with clips. And it's all about the clips these days. There are a lot of great people, Aaron Ruppar and Asin and all these guys on social media pulling these clips. And we do clips on this show. We rely on Snapstream to record, watch, monitor, and clip the news. Check out Snapstream at snapstream.com, folks. It's all about the clips in Snapstream. can help you out if you are in need of clips like we are each and every day. But in the meantime, still reporting from Washington, I'm Jim Acosta. I'll see you next time.