Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's new radio.
Speaker 2: And welcome back Boy, Do we have a story for you here on WBC's Nightside. Killer Lies Chasing a true crime con Man from National Geographic and also Hulu. It's streaming on Hulu right now. I highly recommend it. It is a three part series. It is riveting, it's well told, it's well produced, and it's just an unbelievable story. And the director of this film joining us right now, Ben Selko. Ben, Welcome to Nightside. I've seen a lot of stuff, Ben in my life, but this one's a doozy because not only do you have serial killers and they're extremely bad people, but then you have another dude that is supposedly doing something good.
Speaker 3: And he's a liar. I mean, have you have you ever seen anything like this before?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: I mean yes, I think you can look around in the American political sphere in all corners and find this profile character pretty readily. But you're right, I mean this, You've got, you know, a story, you know, full of serial killers, and at the heart of it is someone who is a serial liar, right, who trade trades and betrayal and you know, in our story that becomes tanam out and the most important kind of crime that is, you know, expressed over and over again, repeatedly, and you know it's something that was really wild and really wild to try to untangle.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm sure it was. I mean, you must have. We'll get into how you pull this all together, but just tell us how, you know, a quick tiase of what the series is about, and you know how you came about to develop.
Speaker 4: This so kill Lives Chasing a true Trime true crime com man is sourced from a twenty twenty two article by Lauren Collins in The New Yorker and that entitled that article originally was Murdered, he wrote, and it's about Stefan bourg Wan, who is a French serial killer expert who rose to a huge amount of prominence, built a huge following, you know, nationally in France and you know, within the true crime world, and you know, for forty years was really kind of the man on top, you know, as the go to person around talking about serial killers, and anytime there's a you know, a national event or international event, he would be called by radio, which television to appear. Was a prolific writer and you know, raised and kept elevating his profile as you know, an expert on killers, morphing into a profiler, you know, depending on the you know, the the venue, that forum, the introduction by the said host that you know, he kind of title and statue whood, it would elevate and amplify and grow every time. And so you know, he kind of was the top king of this kingdom in France for a very long time until about twenty nineteen, twenty twenty, when some of his true crime fans, some of his ardent fans, started tugging on the strings of his story a little bit, and you know, the needless to say, the sweater started to come undone and our story details the story that you know, Lauren Collins wrote The New Yorker, but also advances the investigation, goes deeper, goes further, you know, it starts all the way back in the seventies and brings this story you know, through Lauren's reporting and advances the investigation you know, until you know, you know, deep into twenty twenty three, in twenty twenty four, so it becomes very current and catches up with itself. So it's it's not as a retail of that New Yorker article, but in advances the investigation as well. Well.
Speaker 2: It's a terrific piece because you bring in personalities and of course and at the end and I don't want to give too much away because I want people to watch it, then you address the man himself. Are going in three Uh so there is definitely some conclusion, and I can tell you're in the room and you address him head on, and uh, it's just I mean, the guy has absolutely no shape. So he's talking to these serial killers. And of course there are families who their lives have been damaged and just destroyed by these serial killers. And then this guy starts to profit off it and become a celebrity with it. And just how sick is he because his whole story was built on lies. How he became the serial killer expert, and he was even plagiarizing people. I mean, he was stealing information from other people. So how sick is this guy?
Speaker 4: You know? I mean I think that's you know, one of the things we were trying to navigate is really trying to, you know, objectively look at him as you know, you know, what is this what is this pre level of premeditation, calculation. Is he an evil mastermind or is this something compulsive and pathological and involuntari a most and so uh that's that becomes part of the investigation also, you know, part of the participation of the audience. We're asking of them to say, Hey, this got mister McGoo who kind of fell into the secret eyes and grew them and exploded them and and and caught on that it's also being working, you know, or is he you know, closer to Hannibal Lecter to borrow you know, a fictional character in the zeitgeist again, you know where you know someone who is you know, a genius, you know, mad genius, evil, calculated, premeditated, you know, person designing uh this this web of lies to you know, to create self aggrandizement and build this career on. So I you know, that question is really at the core of all of this. And you know something we asked the audience to help navigate because you know, you have a very strong reaction to him, as many people do when they watch. And I think that's part of you know, the visitation to the audience is that, hey, you know you come play investigator as well. You know, you could on your you know, your lie, detect your test you're put on your antenna and see if you can catch this guy in a lie? Or is this or is this you know, something bred from a colonel of truth. So the series is really smart, it's fun, it's fast moving, but it's also participatory. So it asks a lot of the viewers to say, hey, you know, like, you know, can you kind of can you solve the crime yourself? And I think that's you know, that's also a hallmark of good crime storytelling is that it's not passive watching. It's you know, it's something that's drivening and you know, asking the audience to you know, to put on their shlock homes hat and play the ball.
Speaker 2: So he has, if I remember correctly, he actually has been in the room with I think eight.
Speaker 3: Serial killers approximately give or take.
Speaker 2: And then by the end of the story, before you guys nail them, he claims to have met with seventy seven serial killers.
Speaker 3: Do I have those numbers right in the ballpark?
Speaker 4: That's right, he claims in his career, and they always in the you know, we have all this archival footage, you know, where the numbers keep morphing and changing but I think at the peak, you know, he's he claimed to have not just met, but interviewed over seventy seven. He claimed to have thousands of hours of interview tape with you know this, you know, over with his seventy seven or more serial killers. The Fourth Eye, the investigative true crime group that started investigating him, they could only substantiate eight to nine interviews on camera at best, thirteen, you know, eight or nine interviews are on camera thirteen total. Maybe he met, but he obviously claimed way way more than that, you know, because you know, that's a staggering number. Now to put that into perspective. You know, the mind Hunter, the you know, the Netflix series is based on you know, an FBI forensic profiler named John Douglas, you know, one of the one of the most famous profilers in FBI history and in the world. He only, you know, in his book, only claims, not claims, he can substantiate having interviewed thirty six serial killers. So here's the most renowned FBI profile ser Mindhunter, with all of the tools, access and resources f the FBI, and he tapped out at thirty six. And somehow Borglon you know, got to seventy seven globally is well you can do the math on that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: What I also found amazing in the story was that Baguan was plagiarizing the true mind hunter, right, I mean, he was literally taking things out of his books. I mean he literally lifted, I mean, and he was all and on top of being a liar, he was also a platiss too, where he was literally taking things from what this guy had written and putting it in his own books.
Speaker 4: Well not just what John Douglas had written, but also there's a very famous South African profilers, doctor Mick Dourius, who he documentary about spent time in South Africa, you know, she you know, took him to resolved, solved serial you know, killer cases, things that had no longer you know, we're not open cases, and they you know, went around with other detectives and he profiled each one of these cases. Later we then claim to help having solved some of them interview or interrogated, which interrogation is really a term reserved for someone in law enforcement, not you know, a civilian, which Burguan is. And he so he claimed, you know, to have you know, help solve these murders and help crack these cases and the interrogation interview techniques that the detectives on the ground South Africa had not thought of, and all of these or borrowed their stories. So he actually, you know, it's two things to come out of this which are significant. One this fourth I coined this term calling volar divi, which means a stealer of lives. This is an incredible double entendre when you're talking about serial killers obviously still lives and mean like the stealer of like your soul, your actual you know, living breath. But also when in the context they meant it is the stealer of lives, that he would steal the stories of other people. And so with John Douglas, he did that. With doctor Mickey Pistorius, you know, she wrote her first manuscript a biography, autobiography of her own story. Is this, you know, groundbreaking forensic uh psychologist and profiler in South Africa who have solved innumerable ro color cases in South Africa and bringing new science to it. And wrote her you know, her kind of rememboir autobiography called Catch Me a Killer. And he took that book, asked the manuscript before it was printed, you know, went off back to France and then wrote her biography in French about her essentially in plagiarizing jute passages of her own book, a yet unpublished book. So he literally steals her, her words, her stories, her life. Uh, you know, projected onto himself to a grandize himself. And so yeah, plagiarism, you know, at Blush seems like a you know, a pretty minor offense, you know, a grade school offense, but in the context of how it's deployed to a grandize his career, uh, a grandize expertise, take credit for things he never took, you know, possibly have participated in. You know, the crime gets more and more murky, and the etical crimes get deeper, you know, and then of progressed into straight moral crimes. And that's really where you know, we find ourselves trying to adjudicate borgan Is around his you know, the moral crime he has committed over time.
Speaker 2: Well, there's some great video in the scene where he holds the profile's hand, mister story, pronounce your last.
Speaker 3: Name for me again.
Speaker 4: It's Pistorias history.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Pastoria and he's holding her hand and she's crying. She's had a crime scene and she's in tears and he holds her hand and he was like, I know, and then he drops the bomb, which you set up at the beginning. But it kind of reminded me about how, you know, his girlfriend was murdered and he's telling her I mean, and he's just totally putting himself in her place.
Speaker 3: Just a real scumbag.
Speaker 2: And he's got no soul, he has no conscious whatsoever. And what we're going to talk a Ben about next is about that girlfriend and about the alleged reason why he got into this business in the first place.
Speaker 3: It's a terrific, terrific series.
Speaker 2: It's called kill A Chasing a True crime con Man, and it's on Hulu. It's streaming right now and you should watch it more with Ben Celko, the director After the Sun night Side, It's.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Read. I'm Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: Attention.
Speaker 5: If you owe money to the IRS, this is an urgent message. The IRS is cracking down by sending out heart stopping letters, aggressively garnishing paychecks, seizing bank accounts, and putting liens on homes and businesses.
Speaker 3: They call it enforced compliance.
Speaker 5: And you better watch out because penalties and interest on unpaid taxes compound daily, making it seem impossible to ever get out of debt.
Speaker 3: Don't let the tax debt destroy your life.
Speaker 5: You need to call Optima Tax Relief, the number one tax resolution firm. They're experts in the Fresh Start Initiative, one of the biggest breaks that the IRS has ever offered. If you qualify, you could save thousands. Optimas resolved over one billion dollars of tax debt for their clients. A plus rated with the Better Business Bureau. They'll fight to get you the best deal possible. Call op tomnaw for a free consult called eight hundred three four three sixty four sixty eight hundred three four three sixty four sixty eight hundred three four three sixty four sixty.
Speaker 4: Poptim A Task Relief.
Speaker 1: Some restrictions apply.
Speaker 6: For complete details, please I saitt optimatax relief dot com.
Speaker 7: This is Dan Ray. Michael lost forty pounds with awakened one eight. He was in the same position I was in. You are most likely in confused.
Speaker 8: I spent so much money on personal trainings in the last ten years, didn't have a lot of discretion income left, so I tried to listen to everybody else, what do you eat? You know, everyone said eat healthy, define eating healthy, cut out sugar. Tell me what foods don't have sugar. So that process to me was an education. That was really the eye opening thing to me is I had ten choices of food in front of me every day. You know, when I was on the run in sales, I was making eight bad choices. I wasn't eating the two good ones. And I loved the two good ones, I just didn't know they were good. So I made bad choices every single day in the program. Going to Waken one to eighty really changed my mind, opened my eyes up to It was a true education on food, what to eat, what not to eat, and it's spent intact.
Speaker 7: Knowing what to eat, the ability to navigate nutrition labels, a proven clear path for weight loss. Exactly what you will receive with Awaken one, Indy, leave confusion at the door and do what we did Awaken when aityweightloss dot Com.
Speaker 3: This weekend, It's the Italian Feast of Saint Cosmas and Damien and.
Speaker 9: Warren Street than East Cambridge, British Austin.
Speaker 3: And Brenda k Star.
Speaker 10: Saturday, the original cover Girl.
Speaker 4: And Motown Legend Miss Delahouston.
Speaker 1: Sunday on Brooks The Crystal Flame Food Mere amusement rides this weekend in East Cambridge.
Speaker 3: Visit Cosmos and Dashtamion dot org. Hey guys, Billy Costa here.
Speaker 9: If somebody told you you might have money you didn't know about, you'd be skeptical, but don't be. The Massachusetts State Treasurer's Office has a program that returns unclaimed property back to you. Every state and the US has a program like it, and here the website. The search is findmass money dot gov. Both times I looked, I found money. I had a refund from a car overpayment and another refund from a previous car lease bill. So if you checked before, check again. Go to findmass money dot gov.
Speaker 10: Everyone knows that warrendale applies at Waldam is New England's number one home appliance leader, and if you're a contractor, developer or property manager handling one to one thousand units, we absolutely guarantee to be any price from any competitor anywhere. So for refrigerators, stoves, ranges, washers, dryers, dishwashers, grills.
Speaker 5: And more.
Speaker 10: When it comes to saving on appliance is everyone singing the same to say the wardell applies one's seventy High Street Walltham.
Speaker 3: No two people are the same.
Speaker 6: Each may have the same cancer, yet each may need a different treatment. At Dana Farber Brigham Cancer Center, we are specialists. All we do is cancer. Our personal line approach gives us a deeper understanding of your.
Speaker 3: Needs and how to get you well.
Speaker 6: For an appointment in Boston, Foxborough, Milford or south Shore, contact Dana Farber Brigham dot org. We specialize in cancer and you.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back Gary Tangley for Dan Ray.
Speaker 2: Tonight You're on w BZY Killer Lies Chasing a true crime con man with director Ben Salcoe Stefan Agoin who he is something else, supposedly an expert on serial killers and telling many lies himself saying that he met with up to seventy seven serial killers but actually only really met with eight. He ended up consulting with law enforcement, was involved teaching law enforcement and this is a terrific series on Hulu, three part series that you should watch. So, Ben, where do we at the beginning? First of all, I thought it was structured. You did a great job putting this project together. Other at the beginning, he's on the typewriter and he's talking about his girlfriend that was killed in the seventies, and then you read it's re introduced to us again when he's in South Africa. So fill us in on that angle of his life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know, you know, in you know, in the latter part, you know, I would say, you know, after he'd got in his career going into public life. Like, I think his story has many beginning points, but one that's important for the series and one that's important in in the meta conversation. The story you know, tangled with is you know, starts start with nineteen ninety one. Nineteen ninety one was a year that you know, Silence of the Lambs comes out, and that becomes an international hit, and it becomes this you know, ficialization of you know, profilers and the FBI serial killers, and it kind of elevates with you know, Anthony Hopkins performance the serial killer into this kind of mastermind, genius, charismatic specter that you know kind of just transcends entertainment and becomes really part of the cultural zitgeist. I think, you know, true crime has existed as a genre. Crime fiction has existed as a genre, you know, for decades before, but this nineteen ninety one becomes a really important moment and the kind of cultural consciousness that's globally, that's not just in the US. Bourguan starts. You know, had been working in a crime fiction bookstore in Paris that he worked at for years and years and had a notion through a friend to make a documentary around serial killers in France who cannot get access to the prisons in the United States in the early nineties they would let you in with cameras to interview all manner of people, and they had the temerity to get it together. They petitioned a bunch of prisons in the States and came to the States and started making a documentary for French television around serial killers, and he interviewed you know, you know, three of a very high profile serial killers had temper uh otus tool injure our shaper. And these are people who had you know, a lot of notoriety in the criminal justice world, in the crime fiction world, true true crime world, bursioning true crime world. Uh and then a pretty exceptional documentary that about some play in France. But he started to parlay that into uh, some media attention. He wrote a book from that, you know, started grabbing more attention, and you know, true crime starts to take off in a kind of global phenomenon as a as an interesting genre as television expands, cable television answers the picture later the Internet, and he's writing this kind of this true crime wave of expansion into our kind of you know, audiences fascination, and he's you know, taking that journey. Now when he's starting to make these television appearances, you know, he's starting to get interview questions around the peculiarities of his fixation on serial killers. And I think this we suspect that it was because he was starting to you know, put people off or put people off balance, that he all of a sudden volunteers that he too is a victim in fact, and all of a sudden, you know, the hosts of these shows started straightening him, giving him a different kind of respect. And the look that he's.
Speaker 3: Found sympathy was that, and sympathy.
Speaker 4: Sympathy exactly so. And you know in the story that he puts forth is in the seventies while living in the United States. He had taken a girlfriend or wife or lover and the you know, the term keeps changing, not just beyond translation. And he came home one day and found her decapitated, mutilated, raped, eviscerated. Uh, you know, just came home with this horrific scene in his home in California. And that's where his you know, his lover girlfriend wife was killed. And so in fact, he you know, was a you know, a survivor, not of a serial killer attack, but of you know, of a victims you know, a victim survivor. So he uses that story, which you know, turns into a thing where he becomes kind of unassailable, you know, where posts are no longer asking him his origin story, right, they tell him. They let him do it, but they don't critique it. They don't research it because hale cous to me to you know, to press on someone's pain or trauma or history, you know. And this is in the mid nineties, and so you know, they don't have the same tools or research. They're in France. There's the barrier of language, since it's all happened in America, and this is all you know, we suspect it very intentional, right, where he uses his bilingual abilities in English and French to keep you know, the French, the prying eyes of the French at bay, because at that point in the early nineties, you know, the diplomatic language of France, of Europe is French. That France is not particularly bilingual. Now you go to France and the whole generation, everyone's speak perfect English, especially in Paris and all these places. But you know, for decades it was not this case. And so if you spoke English, that was a real rarity in France. And he traded upon that over and over again, where he was borrowing things in English, taking of as his own in French because he knew that there'd be no kind of critique or trail. And there's time went forward that that started to come apart. But anyway, he uses the story of his you know, slain lover as a way to create sympathy too, to make his story kind of unassailable. And then later in the two thousands that we see in you know, in our series Kill Lives, he starts to insinuate himself into survivors groups, family members who lost someone who was killed by a serial Killer and gains their trusts. You know, is going attends their trials as this. You know, there's a group that is formed to advocate. He's on the board of it, and he becomes a you know, a kind of face and a figure of these you know, survivors and you know, and so when we talk about moral injury at moral crime, it's really at that. That's the heart of that, where you know, the betrayal of trust is so egregious and on such kind of repentant terms that you know, that's where if you had any tympathy for him in his story, which we are packing in the third episode to truly give him, the writer of response a sympathetic lens, as we give every every person in the sporty, when you come back to that moral center and his crimes in that space, it's it's hard to walk that back.
Speaker 2: This guy was he was delusional. I mean, he was really delusional. Because when when when I saw I heard the name and I saw the video of Charlie Manson come into your piece, I said, oh boy, I go this guy has really lost it. And we're going to talk about that next with Ben Selko here on WBZ. Killer Lies Chasing a True crime con man Stefan ba going on WBZ It's.
Speaker 1: Night Side on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome Back Killerlies Chasing a True crime con Man Ben Selko the director of this terrific series on Hulu streaming right now.
Speaker 3: You could check it out.
Speaker 2: It's about French serial killer experts savan by Going, who turned out to be well, quite frankly a fraud, so made up a lot of this stuff. He met with eight serial killers, that he met with seventy seven if an expert became a consultant to police authorities, and then and then I also want to get to the fact that he also started to say that he was solving murders. But when the Charles Manson thing hit, Ben, this is not a funny topic, but I just insanely laughed out loud. So, you know, he claims to have met Charles Manson, but when you nailed him, he told a different story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So his story about Charles Manson is you know, you know both you know what it makes you sit up because it's one of the most notorious kind of cult figures and you know, in American history. But the short he tells is about how he tried to dominate, you know, where Charles Manson sat on the back of his chair to try to dominate, right right, right, right, yeah, which also the story that John Douglas tells, because John Douglas actually interviewed Charles Manson, John Douglas, the mind hunter, the profiler from the FBI, who is you know, a storied profiler, you know, someone who actually interviewed, you know, over thirty six the Serokillers is his own right, actually interviewed Charles Manson. Then the story he tells me is, you know, his biography is our biography is about how Manson tried to intimidate if by sitting on the back of his chair. Because Manson is a pretty slight fellow, so for Juan would tell that story as that. And then as you pressed them, he's like, well, I didn't actually interview him. Act well, I know, I saw him on the yard of a prison. I was at well, you know, like you know, the story starts to deteriorate as you press him on the details, and you know, this lack of substantiation exists, but that that tells you the audacity of the live which goes to you know, some of these adages about in frauds and cons and scams is like, you know, go big on your lie. Right, the bigger you go, the more less, the less likely the audiences to you know, quesh it right. You know he'll be timid with your live And so he really embraced that spirit and Manson story is you know, a complete encapsulation of that.
Speaker 2: But what did he do or can you give us some examples of where he started to take credit I believe right for solving murders or becoming involved investigations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he certainly was invited by the Gendarmes, which is a kind of you know, police group in France and would you know, use his expertise, and usually he would just reshow his film from nineteen ninety one about you know, with the American zerial killers and give his you know, his speech on the profile of you know, proclivities of serial killers and you know child trauma and their sexual deviance and fixate on that and that would be his like teaching and lessons. But where he very specifically in one radio show you know, detailed you know, helping solve or elicitly a confession from you know, Stuart Wilkin who is a serial killer in South Africa. And the story he told was that he knew that the victims is to an we're we're children. He solicited the foot you know, so we're wan claims to have taking you know, asked the detective on the scenes for photos of his children, you know, put them all over the wall of the interview with interrogation room. Uh. And from that, you know, solicited, you know, triggered this the serial killer in South Africa and solicted his confession. Now that's you know, not true because that case had already by the time he went to South Africa. There was time that case had already gone to trial till Wilkin was in prison. He spent time with the detective who put that serial killer in prison, Uh, who deployed that technique himself. And so he you know, he appropriates the story of legitimate law enforcement, you know, claims it as his own as this kind of mysterious uh. You know, international man of interrogation and you know Prime Stopper and you know in Bregue, you know, I pressed them on this. Well, I mean that's outrageous. Why would you do that? He said, Well, you know, I can't help myself. I get in front of an audience and you know, I feel the need to tell these stories, and you know, it just floods my mind, you know, comes out of my mouth. It floods, you know, just floods. I can't It's almost involuntary. I can't stop myself. And in the third episode, you know, we try to he tries to explain why as you go deep into his kind of psychology, his childhood, his parents, you know, the stories like wow, hotly cal and that's a remarkable finding in his backstory that you know, helps him rationalize why he did this. And again never with apology, never with contrition, just kind of continued rationalization. But the third episode is a great uh you know, windy backstory that that tries to poke it origin stories in general, and poke at his and let him, uh, let the audience contend with you know, the facts of his background.
Speaker 2: What did you think of him when you met with him?
Speaker 4: Well, it's funny, you know. I give Lauren Collins, the New Yorker writer, a lot of credit because when she in twenty twenty two and she did the reporting, she reached out to him initially, Uh, he didn't get back to her.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then eventually she did what she normally never does. This is kind of the midst of COVID. You know, she just she took a train and a bus to his town and just kind of pulled up to town and called him. She says, I think I'm standing outside of your house. Uh it was the wrong house. And he said, well, he's gonna be here in fifteen minutes. I'll see you. And so she went there, you know, with her research assistant, you know, a young woman from you know, living in Paris. So it's just two two two, you know women, you know, going into like you know, this kind of theater of horrors. As she describes his home, that was, you know, really impressive. You know. I went there with you know, you know, a crew of eight of people, and you know, I'm not a small dude.
Speaker 3: And like, yeah, he's not going to do anything to you.
Speaker 4: No, but you know, but despite that, with the full crew, I you see you play basketball. You've heard the report, Yeah, yeah, So but I went into the house. I was completely on edge when I was in his house. His house is full of of true crime and crime fiction ephemera, you know, bloody books, and you know, a huge collection anytime you see someone of the giant Hordish collection of any Chandre and he had a horror crime fiction like you know, you see an obsessimist quality there. I was on edge. You were in the middle of you know, like you know, western France and some small town and I was like, you know, he's you know, he took us around his home. He's you know, he was generous in that spirit, I guess in his home, but like he took us into the far reaches of his attic to show us different collections. And I was on the edge of the entire time. You know, with time I relaxed, but you know I found him. I didn't know what to expect that I wanted to be prepared for anything. And you know, I don't think there was a material physical threat, but I was very on edge with spending time with him.
Speaker 3: Well, Ben, it is.
Speaker 2: It is a terrific piece of work, and I know that you've put in a lot of work in this career.
Speaker 3: So I want people to watch it. Go check it out on Hulu.
Speaker 2: Produced by National Geographic Game by Hulu, directed by Ben Selke. Know Killer Lies Chasing a true crime con man. But before I let you go. I do have to ask you that I did notice you are a production assistant. I believe was it on Meet the Parents?
Speaker 4: I was a production assistant I Meet the Parents?
Speaker 3: Okay, So here's my question.
Speaker 2: In Twenty eight Days, which I'd loved, by the way, with Vigo Mortensen and Sandra Bullock, why did you leave that type of entertainment to go into what you're doing now? Because I know what you do now takes a lot of work and it's big. I mean, you know, being a documentarian right now is really a good place to be in this business and it's booming quite frankly. People love documentaries, they love the true crime. But what led you to go from scripted into this world?
Speaker 4: It's funny, you know. I went to college and studied, you know, film, and thought I was going to be a screenwriter, you know, got out of college and realized they don't give you the keys of the studio, you know, just as a college with a college degree, right you know, started teaching, you know, and you know, having time thinking I was having time to write. I happened to have Harrison Ford's daughter in my class, and his wife was a screenwriter. She wrote the team Melissa Mathesons, and so Be befriended them somehow, and by the grace of the cinema gods, invited me to work on his film in nineteen ninety nine called a Random Park. So that was my entree to the film business as a production assistant. I went in as what they call silver spoon, someone who with the nepotism right. So I got into set and all these hard working production assistants and grinding trying to get their DGA days, and you know, they and here I am with a brand new like rebook, you know, iris and choose and you know, great attitude. I had screen ground down yet and they were but useless. But they took me under the wing and I eventually, you know, I learned the craft and the trade of being a production assistant and working for assistant directors. But that path is a really long long path, and I, you know, ultimately wanted to be a director, a creative And after about two years of working in documentary, I mean in scripted films, you know, working with the very best decision directors, learning a ton about how to run a set, you know, I bought a camera and started making the first documentary because I wanted to be literally close to the camera. I felt like the proximity to the camera was where the creative decisions were happening, and as a production system I had access to be near it, but not making decisions, but by in the documentary I felt like, well, I can you know, activate my own agency creatively. I didn't know it would be such a hard, long life of you know, putting in many, many, many years, but you know, very you know, have a lot of gratitude for all the people along the way who you know, helped pull me along and collaborated to make projects like this one. But you know, ultimately it was about having kind of you know, immediacy, uh and being in the center of the creative process. And that was the part of documentary filmmaking, storytellings I love, and documentaries you know, in way I can two thousands felt like the way to be at that center that you know, where that was the heat was burning, you know, most intensely, and that's where I wanted to be.
Speaker 2: Why do you think it's so popular now? And I'll throw podcasting there as well. I mean my wife who you know, well, Randy, I mean, she loves true crime podcasts. We get in the car and I'm like, what are we listening to? You know, can I just you know, what are we doing here? And the craziest, creepiest stuff. People love true crime, but people also love documentaries now, and I think one of the reasons, I think is because there's a lot of footage available. Right there's a lot of there's a lot of great stories, whether it be from music or from entertainment or from politics. There's a lot of stories. There's a lot of film footage available, and a lot of people you can talk to where you can create a documentary like you have.
Speaker 3: That brings the same drama of a feature film.
Speaker 4: Oh Like they say truth is stranger than friction, you know fiction, and you know, and you know you ultimately we're most interested in the unknown. We're interested in the kind of boundaries and depths of human behavior and getting us close to that kind of flip of the switch when things, you know, go the other way, when civility is left and horror and violence, when people want to know where that edge is. And so true crime nonfiction allows that safe exploration through you know, human behavior, and it's like, you know, it's like why we rubber neck it's why we can't look away. It's because it's a opportunity to touch death, the ends of finality, to touch the unknown, to touch what we might be capable of, or how we might react when when encountering something you know, so so extreme. And I think that's all of those things. There's different reasons why people watch through crime while they watch documentaries, but those those are some in the true crime space that seem you know, really applicable, really human, really accessible, and it's fact that you know, it's not something exotic far away, it's something in our backyards, our neighbors, our family members, like it's around us, and so understanding it better baby gives us some feeling of agency and power that we might be able to sniff it out or participate or detect it or save ourselves or are curious about, you know, what our own limits are. How would we deeled it if we were in the it was in our face, And so I think that's why people want to do it. And then people are smart. They want to outwit the police, they want out with the investigators, they want to they don't want to be a mark. And so you know, somehow true crime becomes like a training ground to to not be a mark and to to to gain skill and investigation. And you know, and as a filmmaker, you know, audiences are really smart right now, and.
Speaker 2: So they are that's exactly right. They are very smart. You just nailed it. The audience who has become better educated over time, but.
Speaker 4: Not just not just in you know, crime is you know as a field of forensics, but also in filmmaking. And so you can't trick an audience, you'll betray it. You know, you can't participate the way Bourguan it did and betraying people. As a filmmaker, you can't misdirect them and and you know you can't, like there's no there's no cheeko, there's no lazy filmmaking.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: The audiences are too smart and so you have to respect the hell out of them, and you know and make work that you know expects a lot of them, because you know they're educated or smart with both the craft of filmmaking and and TV as well as you know around true crime. And so you know you can't play with them. You have to you have to be you know, both artful, intelligent and try to stay a step ahead. But it's very difficult and your audiences are maximum respect right now. And so the challenge is a.
Speaker 2: Filmmaker, Well you did a great job killer lies chasing a true crime con man and stefan by going he is this dude is a serial killer expert, but he was really a fraud and made a lot of it up and turned out to be quite a sick man. And you should watch it on Hulu. Produced by National Geographic and Hulu and it's streaming right now. Three part series. Well produced, well done, well directed. Ben, Thanks for coming on. I wish you the best of luck.
Speaker 4: Thanks so masche for having me on. And yeah, look forward to hearing the audience's responses.
Speaker 2: All right, Bet, I'll talk to you soon, buddy, take care. All right, there's Ben Stelko joining us here. It's a crazy story, it really is. It's kind of you know, as I'm watching this someway, where's this going? Okay, we're talking about serial killers and he's talking to some real creepy people. But the serial killer expert turned out to be pretty creeping himself. No, he didn't go as far as the people he was covering, the serial killers, but he turned into a serial liar, serial plagiarist, played with a lot of people's emotions, passed himself off as an expert, became involved in criminal investigations. And the thing that's really amazing about this, when things happen like this, nobody questioned them, Yeah, okay, must be true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they all bought in good stuff.
Speaker 2: Check it out Killer Lies Chasing a True crime con Man and it is streaming on Hulu. Coming up eleven o'clock tonight, we're gonna talk a little football. Nicole Yang joins us from the Boston Globe as we get ready for that Patriot. Somebody asked me today how many games are the Patriots gonna win? I go, doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: Five at the most, at the most. And you need to be okay with that, people, you need to be okay with that.
Speaker 2: Coming up at ten o'clock, I will talk to author Christy Cashman about her book The Truth About Horses, terrific story about a fourteen year old girl rhis Tucker. That's all a ten and I have some news to talk to you about coming up next, involving that school shooting in Georgia. On wbz's Night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Live from the Window World Night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Gary Tangway for Dan ray tonight, so an updated on the Georgia shooting as the father of the Georgia school suspect has been arrested in charge with second degree murder amongst the charges. Well, that's one of the chargers, the father of fourteen year old the fourteen year old boy called Gray. His father has been arrested and faces charges including second degree murder and involuntary manslaughter for allowing his son to possess a weapon. It's the latest example of prosecutors holding and I'm reading from the Boston Globe, so just to give them credit, the latest, say, the example of prosecutors holding parents responsible for their children's actions in school shootings. We all remember what Michigan right with the Crumpleys. They were convicted. That was crazy and they got ten years in prison.
Speaker 3: That was crazy. The mom and dad were like, yeah, I mean they brought him to school with the Crumblings and mission. They brought him to school that morning and said listen, we're worried about your son. They just blew it off. They just absolutely just blew it up off. So Colin Gray fifty four years old.
Speaker 2: The father of Colt Gray was charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of second degree murder, eight counts of cruelty to children. These charges stem from mister Gray knowingly allowing his son cult to possess a weapon. Charges are directly connected to the actions of his son and allowing him to possess weapon. Now, from what I understand, there were warning signs with his son Clt before this.
Speaker 3: Boy. It's a tough one because.
Speaker 2: Look, I have hunters in my family, and when you're fourteen fifteen years old, that's when you start to go hunting with your father, your mother, and your uncles and your brothers and sisters.
Speaker 3: And it's a thing.
Speaker 2: And I'm fine, you know personally, Like I said, I have relatives that have guns in the house and they separate the ammunition from the guns, and they have locked gun racks and very responsible gun owner.
Speaker 3: There's no problem with that. But there's a history with the young man. You gotta lock up the guns, you gotta lock up the guns. I mean, something has to happen.
Speaker 2: Because when it comes to America in school shootings and public shootings, I mean, it is just rampant It is just scary. Is my numbing that this is happening and we're numb? I mean, I say my numbing, we're numb to it? Or another school shooting. Oh okay, we are absolutely numb to this, which is scary as hell. Maybe the only way to stop it or prevent it from happening again is to hold the parents accountable, lock up the weapons. It's a tough one, but we're in a desperate time with this, a very desperate time with this, because this is coming. This has become the norm much too often. Sure, we'll have more on that coming up to the News at ten o'clock. Still to come. On wbz's Night Side, we'll talk about the Patriots upcoming season. That's at eleven o'clock when Nicole Yang and Christy Cashwo's going to join me next and Christie does just about everything, including on a castle. I believe that it's next on WBZ.