Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and Welcome to Life is a Gamble. It's been a while since I dropped one of these episodes, but I am back. And before we jump into today's guest, I just want to say you can always reach me at Life is a gamblepod at gmail dot com and you can find me on Twitter at RWM twenty one. My guest today is Andrew Wimhurst and he has a new book out called Thieving Bastards Through Confessions of the World's Greatest Cheats. So Andrew, Welcome to Life is a Gamble.
Speaker 2: Hey, Richard, thanks very much for having me on the show. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: So as I understand it, this book was thirty years in the making. Is that correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. I've been working on for thirty years. I've been recording interviews with people for thirty years that've been sitting in boxes and in my study in all that time, traveling to America to meet people, sit down with people and have conversations. But yeah, the idea for this book started in the eighties.
Speaker 1: So it really you were planning to make it as a book as opposed to just interviewing these guys for your own edification.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. So I'm a big fan of books that are about interviews with people. I just find that books of interviews are like an unfiltered experience. You can really understand the way a person thinks and what's happened in their life, and what the psychology is behind you know, what motivates them. I think it's just fascinating. In fact, I'm a big fan of all of these books. I've really enjoyed your book Gambling Wizards, which I've had a chance to read lately. I haven't had a chance to read a lot of books in the last few years because I've been focusing on this book. But I've been reading your book and really really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: So thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read a book. I read a book in the eighties called Cops Their Lives in their Own Words by a guy called Mark Baker. It's published in about eighty five, and I just found it really fascinating. That was when I really started to get interested. This is as a teenager, and then I sort of drifted into an interest in card magic, which quickly became an interest in cheating at cards, which has been a strong passion for many years. And I was in the National Library in Australia, and I found a book in the stacks there called Road Hustler by Robert Pruce, and it's a sociological study of professional card cheats in North America and Canada and up in the sort of the Eastern States. And the book originated with he had a student who was a former cheat in one of his classes and let slip that this was his background, and so in writing this book, he includes a bunch of anecdotes from that sheet, some short paragraphs about what it's like to be a cheat and so on. And as I was reading those, I just found them absolutely fascinating, really really fascinating, And I thought to myself back then, wouldn't it be great to have a book that was like Mark Baker's Cops, but was about professional cheats. And that's where it started. And I never stopped thinking about that, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it work. But over time I got lucky and with some hard work, I actually was able to put together enough information and contacts to actually put the book together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would assume it was very difficult to get these guys to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, it's a long, long process to do that, and I started with early contacts and I built from one contact into multiple contacts, and I built over the years. So when I was young, I was into card magic and I was into cheating stuff, and I started working doing shows demonstrated in cheating techniques here in Australia, and in doing that and looking around at the different people who were doing that sort of work, I came across a guy called Darwin Ortiz, who was a card magician passed away a couple of years ago, and as a young kid, I wrote to him. A letter came back from him and we started a friendship and we became very very good friends over the year. So he became one of my closest friends. I knew him for thirty years, and you know, he's the first person that I spoke to about this. And I know that Darwin had written a book called Gambling Scams, which was published in the eighties, and that book includes a couple of anecdotes from the contacts that he had. Because he grew up in the Bronx, he hung around with people involved in cheating. He was connected to an underground supply house in New York city, which was one of the big, biggest ones in the country. He had close friends in there, and he was the person who gave me my first couple of contacts. But I told him about the book idea. He thought it was a great idea, and you know, he just knew I had a passion for it and he trusted me. So he actually trusted me with his contacts and set me up with a couple of guys and had started from there. Now, none of those guys are in the book, but the original no, no, no, no no. In fact, in fact, one of those guys was my first major rejection. This is the guy that hung up in my ear. He said he wasn't a snitch. This is the guy that, yeah, you know, and I'm okay with that. I perfectly understand that. You know, I've always been very upfront with the people that I interview that I want to build a trust relationship where they can trust that I'm not going to put anything in any of these books that they don't want to have a peer in the books. So anyway, that guy that sort of closed off to me that one relationship. But that guy was long retired. He ran a big underground cheating supply house. When I spoke to him, He's in Florida, and he said, I'm not a snitch, and and I kind of get it because there are some people that I've interviewed. All of the people I've interviewed have strong connections to criminal activity, but a couple of people that I've spoken to had connections to you know, the mob, for example, and those people really aren't interested in having their stuff appear in the book. It becomes quite sensitive for those people. And so I totally get that. And he was heavily involved in supplying equipment to underground clubs on the East Coast for decades. And the company goes back one hundred year is it's not one of it's not Casey Card company, it's not one of those companies, but it's another company in New York City that was in the garment district. And in fact, he was the first person that I met. I remember, I traveled to the States to visit Darwin and to go to Vegas and some other places and go and set me up with a meeting with this guy. And it was one really hot summer's day and I went to the garment district and knocked on this door, and this huge bear of a man greeted me at the door, and he looked like Danny A. Lo the actor, you know, this big Jewish dude, and yeah, he had this underground supply company. He took me in, showed me what was happening in the room. At the front, they had all of these are Hispanic ladies who were marking playing cards and cutting playing cards and repackaging them in the boxes so that the boxes looked perfect, and then they would resell them and so that people across the country could order any style of card they wanted marked in a system that they preferred or shaved so that they could be stripped for gin or whatever the game was, and they would mail them out to all their customers across you know, New York State and across the country. And then at the back there are a bunch of guys who were all out there working on loading dice and you know, flattening dice, six ass flats and magnetic dice, and they had read tables they were building and all sorts of stuff. So it was quite in my opening experience, Wow, are they still in business? That company's not in business as far as I'm aware. Yeah, you know a lot of these companies were shut down in the early sixties to yep, going no, no.
Speaker 1: I I was just going to say that. I when I was trying to get people to do interviews for my book, I told them, you know, I would try transcribe our conversation and edit it, and then before I showed it to anybody, I would give it back to them and they could go through it, and anything they wanted cut would be cut, you know. And fortunately that was enough to get people to talk to me. And usually if I didn't already know them personally, at least I had some you know, goal between friend that knew both of us pretty well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so that's exactly my experience, the same thing. And in fact, it's funny that your book and my book are kind of the poll or opposites, you know, gambling wizards, thieving bastards. It's like the two hinds of the spectrum.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. Yeah, I find that quite amusing. But yeah, I when I interview people, and I'm still interviewing people. I did a big interviewer a couple of weeks ago with a guy who was a pool hustler in the seventies, and there's some really interesting stories about pull hustling in Los Angeles at the time and up and down the West Coast. So looking forward to actually working on that. But every person that I've spoken to, that's been my system that I take the material, I do an audio recording, I transcribe it. I don't you know, all of this done with all of this stuff was unmandrolically by hand. He knews Ai. AI didn't exist when I was doing this sort of stuff, listening to the stuff and just doing that laborious process of transcribing it, cleaning it up and then so what I would do is, you know, some of the guys that I spoke to were actually quite elderly people who'd been cheating in the forties and fifties. And there's a guy who's in volume two, for example, who was a crew hustler on the West Coast out of New York but moved to the West Coast. A lot of these guys are older. They're very hard to understand when you speak to them. You know, their voices are all broken free age and everything, and they ramble, and they sometimes they'll come and tell a story four or five different ways. And some of these interviews that I've done are multiple interview sessions. So I've got hours and hours of interviews with these guys, and I've transcribed all of those interviews, and then I've gone back and if they tell a really interesting story, but they might come back to it, because you know, being of a certain age, you'd forget you've told a story. I'll come back to it and they might have a fresh spin on it, or they have a very funny way of expressing it in one story that they don't do it in the first iteration. So I'll go back and I'll just take the best bit and just cram it together, you know, so I'll connect it so that it reads as well as it can. And then and then, just as you do, I would email it to the guy and we go through it and they say, look, I'm not happy about this or whatever, I'm happy about that. And some of them are quite surprised, you know. Some of them are like, didn't realize I swore so much. Because there's a lot of vulgarity in some of these stories, and especially the guy Bobby Machines, who was a practicing attorney. He was like shocked at the language that had sort of come out in the interview because he wouldn't speak like that in his professional life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was really interest.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to say one I was just going to say one more thing is that some of the stuff that's like the book is warts and all. There's a lot of warts and all stuff in there, and you know, some sort of shocking revelations for some people who sometimes knew some of these people, not realizing the extent of that, for example, their drug dependency and all that sort of stuff that they'd been through, or being in the life where you're involved in other criminal activity that's not necessarily accept behavior and polite society. You know, people who were pimping, working miss pimps, as well as cheats and that sort of stuff. So a lot of that stuff's in the book, but there's sort of a line that I drew where I didn't go beyond a certain point with detail. You know, with some of this stuff gets even worse than that with some of these people, and I just sort of left that out. Or some of these cheats would come back and they'd look at something they said about somebody and if it was a negative thing and the person was long dead then that you know, they'd say, okay, I'm fine with that. But they also would sometimes say negative things about people who are still around and we would talk about that and I'd say, well, maybe we should leave that out. So there's a bit of that stuff that's removed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, the cheating landscape has changed tremendously over the last fifty sixty years, and a lot of the cheating that was going on back then. In Guardena, California, they had these poker clubs. They still have poker clubs there, but back then the players dealt the cars and the deal was passed around, So there was just rampant cheating there. And on the East Coast and in the Midwest, there were a lot of these games that were in Elks clubs, moose clubs, or these these picnics where they would set up these you know, casino nights. And but that landscape has really changed. Have you been able to inter and the people in your book really are kind of from that older era. Are there people that you've interviewed that are in the modern era? And I would think if a guy is still out there doing it, he'd be much less likely to want to talk to you about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's that's one hundred percent right. I mean, I know people who are doing stuff now, and those people aren't really aren't interested in talking about what they're doing. Now. A lot of that older stuff has been exposed that the game procedures have changed to eliminate the opportunities that used to exist back in the day. As you will know, there's pass the deck poker is you know, it's long gone, so a lot of that sort of and draw poker is not the game anymore. All of those opportunities are sort of closed off for these people. But things that apt and people have adapted certain things to suit the modern age, and of course stuff is still going on. There's some very sophisticated stuff going on that I'm aware of that I just I'm not really willing to talk about because the people that tell me about it would I'd be persona and on grod. I wouldn't be able to talk to these people anymore if I did that.
Speaker 1: Well, so much of that is public now because there's there's a cheating scandal here in the States, like every other week in poker. I mean, it's just and in you know, the poker clubs and things.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, that's true, that's true. And of course there was that big, big NBA scandal where they use celebrities to get people to be comfortable with the private gaming arrangements that they had set up. And I wrote a couple of blogs related to that on my website about the sort of lessons to be learned from that. And it's quite interesting that from my perspective, is that some of the technology that was used in those scans is technology that was developed by one of the people that I interviewed in the first book, a guy called doctor X. And these are the things that they people in the media call X ray tables, and they're not X ray tables at all, but the technology is really fascinating technology that it originates through experimentation with optical like laser beams and optics that are involved in like special Forces night vision goggles and all that sort of stuff. It's like really interesting adaptations military technology to the sort of card cheating space. And so, did you want me to mention what the x X ray table is or talk about.
Speaker 1: That or sure, yeah, yeah, sure, yeah.
Speaker 2: So when I interviewed doctor X, and I interviewed him about twenty five years ago, so you know a number of the interviews in this book were old interviews. And I remember him telling me about the X ray table, but he didn't call it the X ray table. He caught it the octopus. And he caught it the octopus because it had like eight extensions, and so you could target people around the table. And what it is is it's a series of optical lasers that shoot photon beams beneath the table, and the photon beams are pushed up through translucent plates, plastic white plates that are underneath the table, underneath the cloth, and these beams are invisible to the human eye. They operate outside the spectrum of visibly for humans, but they can be captured by a camera that's set up to see those verbams. And what happens is they burst up through the tabletop and they burst up through the plane cards, and the camera can capture the light traveling through the playing cards plastic or paper cards, it doesn't matter. And the ink of the pips, it doesn't actually burst through the ink of the pips, so you could actually see the pips in reverse on the camera which is set up in a separate room. So what it is is it's an example of an elaborate peak, like the peak that was at the Lambs Club all those years ago, classic sort of scams, especially cheap gin rummy and games things like that. So it's like a high tech peak technology. And I remember him telling me about this. You know, they're not even my cards. The light goes up through the table, you know, you can it's like you're reading the card from the other room. You can see everything. And I remember him telling me this and thinking, man, no one's going to believe this. No one's going to believe this, right, And then late late last year, the NBA scam broke, and I'm like, thank god, you know, And so so I called the the US Justice that the office in New York, and I spoke to the press people there and I got some photos for the book, and I was able to blue that in the book.
Speaker 1: So I tried to get Doctor X to come on this show because he's quite a character, and but he he wasn't really willing to talk about the stuff that I wanted to talk about, Like he likes to talk, you know, he's yeah, but yeah, but but I haven't been able to make that one work. And by the way, just as an aside, I think you'll find, after all of the hundreds of hours you were put into writing this book, that the way to go is to just have a podcast instead, because then you get to.
Speaker 2: Do the energey when you don't have to do all.
Speaker 1: The grunt work of transcription, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally get that, but but I you know, I'm kind of old school and I love books, you know, and I feel that putting something in a book is just a really fantastic way of capturing information and people when people engage with it, you know, their imagination as they interpret what they're reading is what really sort of holds for them, and you know, creates these lasting memories of the information and everything else. So I kind of I prefer book. So my plan is to actually produce a few more series if I can. We'll see.
Speaker 1: Sequels to this one about Cheeks or the other.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm hoping to Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've got some other ideas as well, but definitely I've got When I decided to print this book, I actually had a book that was twice as long, and I realized it was way too long. It's going to be like a doorstop, like a giant bible or something, and so I thought I'll cut it in half. And so I had to make some decisions in doing that. A number of the people in the book have passed away, and they didn't have a chance to see the book in its final form, although they all got to read their interviews, you know, So I basically I sort of chose some of these things to make sure that people in there would get to read them, you know, because some of those people are still alive, and some of them I held over, you know, people had long passed. I thought, well, I'll move this to the second volume. And getting back to what you said, there is somebody in the second volume who's working today. So there is some quite interesting stuff on some current activity that will appear in the second volume. And there might be a few more people who are working today in the second volume. But we'll just see how it goes. Just you mentioning doctor X. He's an interesting interview in so many different ways. But he was one where I really had to change names and place names and stuff like that, because when we spoke about it, he was still heavily involved in it all those years ago, and he said, look, let's change this. So I came up, I changed with the names and they to protect people. And then he got to read it, read it again last year of the year before, and he's like, oh my god, you changed all these names. Because his life had changed a little bit, he wasn't quite so concerned about it. I said, well, yeah, so that's that's where we are with doctor X. But I'm actually going to be spending some time with him later this year, so I'm hitting out to spend some quality of time with him. He's a very interesting character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd like to go visit him. He seems to have like a museum there in his home of all kinds of interesting, wacky wacky stuff. Oh so I want to go back to the mechanic because I thought he was a really interesting case. Because once you feel the power, once you know you can do this and pretty much go out and make money, it will. It was very interesting that he that he was doing this to put himself through law school and then basically stopped.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So he is a really interesting guy. And in the book we call him Bobby Machines. Obviously that's not his name, but to spoake to him and I said, we've got to give you a name because he was still he's still quite a public figure. He's passed away since since we interviewed the guy. Yeah, really so, but eight of you. Yeah, I thought mutual prison Burroughs visited him recently. I don't know, that's no, no, that's actually you're probably thinking of Bobby asil So Bobby.
Speaker 1: Recently.
Speaker 2: But that's right, that's what I was going to say. He only passed away about a month ago. Yeah, but Bobby Machines. You know, when I interviewed Rod Rod the hot Rod d Rod d was the first person I interviewed. I think pretty much Rod perhaps, and maybe Bill Zender and Ron Connolly, but I think Rod was the first person. And because he's one of the He was a friend of mine, a good friend, and we used to chat a lot, and so I really wanted him to be in the book. He never got to see the book, which is unfortunate. But when we were talking, he mentioned this guy, Bobby Machines. He said that when he was a young cheat and he got turned out, and you know, he was almost going to get himself killed hanging around a card room in San Diego and doing a couple of basic moves. He got turned out by a couple of guys. There's Black John and Bobby Machines with the two guys that turn him. But he said to me, this guy, man, this guy was fantastic. He's one of the best mechanics I've ever seen. And I don't know if you probably would have met Rod, but I think Rod was one of the best card mechanics I've ever met in my life. I would put him up there is probably the best at poker. I don't think there's anybody who can touch him or could touch him. And some of the shuffle stuff that he did was just out of this world really. But anyway, he said, look, there's this guy that turned me out. And I used to sleep on his couch and he showed me moves and he said he played a machine hold out machine. So you know the old Blinger holdout machine, which is an elaborate body worn device that's hidden inside the jacket up the sleeve and you have to get specially tailored cuffs so that there's no catch on the thief as it comes in and out of the arm that takes the card. And he said This guy was unbelievable. He could work the machine like you wouldn't believe. But he could also do like a double gypsy, you know, steal two cards and put two cards back, which is a super hard move with a machine. And I was like, man, this is great. And then I thought, jes it would be so great to speak to this guy, you know. And then Rod passed away and I thought, well, that's it. I'm not going to be able to find this guy. And then I spoke to a guy and who's a crossroader and we were talking about it, and he said, I think I think I might know who this guy is. Like there's a name that Rod mentioned and it sounds like this might be the guy. So basically, the two of us did a little bit of a detective work and we found found a guy. And I reached out to the guy and left a message on his answering machine, which is you can imagine being a lawyer and attorney. Yeah, it's respectable. And you get this phone call from this from this dude and this random dude in Australia who rings up it as get a mate, you know, and I just said on the phone, I said, hey, listen, you know, I think we had a mutual friend who's a dear friend of mine, a guy called Rod d. Rod's obviously passed away long time ago, but Right and I had been speaking, and I've been working on a book, and part of the book is talking about Rhyd's life and the life of people who knew Right I worked with Ryde. I was wondering whether maybe we could have a chat about the project, you know, and so on, and so I remember I was, I was getting some takeout, and I'm in the car with my daughters and the phone rings, and I put, you know, comes on the speakerphone and here's this rough as he just sounded so rough for an attorney. And he goes blah blah, blah, blah blah, and then he said, you know, I don't know if I can swear, but he said, effort. Let's do it, you know, like I say, he said, yeah, let's do it. So the next day we recorded this this first of us a series of interviews, and they were fantastic, really interesting. That guy was a bit of a beast.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And as I say it, just it's it's pretty rare for people to get out of that life.
Speaker 2: But super rare. Yeah, yeah, super rare. So so there's sort of three people in the book who got out of the life. So Ron Connolly was involved in some stuff as a young man, and then he became a peak in clubs and became a senior surveillance expert in clubs. So that's an example of somebody who transitioned or what frustraders say. The expression they use is he turned his collar around, you know, so he went and batted for the wrong team kind of thing, which is a huge no no like. And you see that in the book with some of the comments from people like Black John when he talks about a guy called Toak who was a cheat like a machine man who actually became a peak and worked with Ron Connley and other people, where they actually hate these guys and they're quite quite aggressive about what they would like to do to some of these people. And I believe Toke actually did get beaten up a few times. But yeah, Ron turned his collar around. And Ron had a very successful career and up until the time he retired, he was probably considered the world expert on cheating at poker. For he's work in the clubs in California, Robert Assioll moved on and had a I think he was pretty well established financially. He was one of the smart guy though. He he had a long retirement as far as I understand, and he moved to Colorado so he could be close to his family. But he I think he lived well in retirement. A lot of these guys don't live well in retirement. A lot of these guys live in penury. Basically, it's like a it's you know, the psychology of a lot of these guys is, as they say, easy come, easy go, And the money they make is pretty money. It's money that would just flow through the hands, and they don't care because if they go and they burn money one day, the next day, they can just make it back. They just sort of it's to them, it's like, you know, you just walk around and you just pick it just grows on trees effectively, because suckers are suckers and they're always going to throw their money at you. So that's the way these guys operated, and that's why you hear these stories like you know the story of the old cheat Wilbur Kelsey, who was a machine man in a California who was still working machine in his eighties and got caught and got beaten up and ended up in the hospital. So you know, these guys will beat up an eighty year old man for cheating. It's a risky business and a lot of these guys have busted up us, you know, as they say, we say in Australia. Rod, for example, Rod was complicated. Rod was super talented, super skills, super smart, all that sort of stuff. He had a bit of a gift of the gab as well. He had was a bit of a silver dung cavalier as they say. But he was also heavily involved in drugged you know, he was involved in the drug trade and got trouble in that sense, and so then had a habit. You know, he was put on He got onto heroin through a woman that he was dating who was a prostitute and drug addict, and yeah, it was it just it just ruined him essentially, and you know, ruined his judgment and everything else. And towards the end of his life he was still working private games as a muster mechanic, but the kind of cut he was getting was nothing compared to what was being made in the game. So a game might you know, they might take off some sucker for two hundred thousand dollars in a private game, and Rod would get nine thousand dollars. You know. You know that's the sort of money that was trickling down his way because he wasn't in a position to negotiate, because they knew how desperate he was. And I was speaking to somebody just yesterday who spoken to a partner of Rod's and said that, you know, Rod's habit never gotten the way of his work when he was working with partners, but everyone just sort of knew that. You know, at a certain time of the week, like on a Thursday or something, Rod would disappear and you wouldn't see him for four days. You know. They said that he was never he's never high when he worked, but he was thinking about it, I think, getting back to Bobby Machines, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, no, go ahead, I was.
Speaker 2: Just going to say that, Yeah, he was very successful, but he was he had he was super smart. Obviously he was super smart. He was a guy who got drafted, went to Vietnam, fought in Vietnam, came back and used the GI bill to study. He had some kids, and obviously he was separated from whoever the mother was, and he was left with a couple of kids, and so he would look around for ways to make money, and for him, he found the easiest way to make money was the steel at every weekend, so he would get in the car and he would go to the clubs and Sandy and Sacramento and Gadina and he would steal you know, a thousand or a couple of thousand dollars in the early seventies, and he lived just fine as a student, you know, studying to become a lawyer. And then he tells the story in the book that he was always just a means to an end. He just had discipline. I guess, which is that's the sort of thing that separates the true master sort of cheats from the guys who are in the life for their whole life. And as you know, scuffling at the bottom is that he was smart, and he had discipline. He had a plan, and he stuck to the plan. And the day that he found out that he'd passed the bar exam was the day he stopped cheating forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing, you know. I moved to Las Vegas in nineteen seventy seven and started work as a blackjack dealer, and I worked with a lot of these old guys who had been in Hot Springs, Arkansas and Newport, Kentucky, and a lot of them had been cryders. And you know, my big regret is that I didn't spend more time talking to those guys and getting more of their stories, because it was just amazing to hear the kind of stories they had and the people they knew, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look to me, that just sounds like, yeah, that something that I would love to have been able to have the opportunity to speak to those guys. Like Volume two has an interview with a guy who bought in World War Two, learnt to gamble as a soldier in the Pacific, got a purple heart, was blown up by a hand grenade, ended up in the hospital, and then he came back to New York and got turned out by a bunch of road hustlers, went on the road, and he was cheating for the forties until the day he died. I interviewed him in the early two thousands, and so he was one of the classic old road hustlers. And he's the only guy that I've got that's of that sort of that sort of vintage. I met other partners that he worked with, and I know people who knew those partners, like Ron conleeknew and of those partners, guys like Frenchie the Hawk, who was a guy who was around Farmer's Market and worked in the clubs in Gardena and these guys are all in Cruise. And another guy who is a name that might be known to people, Tony Georgio, who was an actor in Hollywood. Tony Georgio, like magicians know that Tony Georgio claimed to have been a cheat, and he wrote some articles for a magic journal called the Georgio Letters, where he talked about all the cheats he knew and all that sort of stuff. And some magicians have asked me in recent years, you know, was Georgia really a cheat? One hundred percent? Georgia was a cheat, and he cheated for twenty years. He was a professional chick for twenty years up until the early sixties when he became a professional actor. And he was a good actor too, by the way, but he was he was a very scary kind of guy who was this big man, big Italian dude, and he had like a pretty scary, rough looking face, like a pugilist, bit of a gargoyle, and in fact was he was lined up to play Cobrassi and The Godfather, and then at the last minute Capolo said, no, We'll go with this other guy, and the guy who ended up playing Luca Brassi replaced Georgio in the role. And the person that told me this story said that Capola said he wanted somebody who was scarier than Georgio, and he said to me, which is crazy, because I've never met anybody scarier than Georgia. And so George actually does appear in the movie. And so in the scene where Luca Brassi gets garrotted, one of the guys behind the bars stabs him in the hand. I don't know if you remember the scene. So they pin him at the bar while they strangle him. But the guy cleaning the glass who lights his cigarette is Tony Georgio. That's the guy, and if you see him in that short scene you can see what a menacing kind of person he was in real life. And it was actually him that suggested to the director that they stabbed him in the hand when they do the scene, So the director incorporated that into the film, but he was in a bunch of movies. Escape from Which Mountain. He was in Magnum Force. He's the guy with a shotgun in one of the scenes, the leader of a gang that gets killed by Benisewood. And and he's an amazing guy. And he was a master mechanic, very good with dice and cards, and you know, I got to meet him a few times in Los Angeles, and we spoke a lot on the phone, and we also chatted online a lot in the early days of the internet. And i'd spoke to spoken to him and said, look, I'd really like to interview you, and he said this, you know, in his rough ways, like there's no way, you know, he had this this very scary kind of voice. And I was like, okay, that's fine, that's fair enough. But I interviewed one of his partners, a guy called called Phil h Phil Hertzog, and that's a fantastic interview being volume too. But the whole time that I was interviewing him, he's saying to me, you know, he had this whole old man voice. He's like, whatever you do, don't tell Tony I'm talking to you. Don't say a word to Tony. They're all scared of Tony, right, So, but Hertzog was the real master mechanic like in that in that group, he was the guy that probably had the best chops. And that's that's just a great interview. I really enjoyed that one. There's sort of sort of a code to this story. You know. I worked as a diplomat overseas for a number of years, and I remember I was on a Friday, I was at the mall shopping when I lived in Saudi Arabia, and I got a phone call from somebody who was very close to Tony Georgio and he said to Tony was dying of cancer, and he said, Tony's ready to talk to you. He wants to do the interview. And I said, I just can't do it. Like I'm in Saudi Arabia, it's just not something I can do. And so that's one of my big regrets. Like you were talking about those guys from Arkansas and other places, and that's my big regret is that I didn't actually get to record Tony for that interview, because that would have been a But I did speak to somebody who knew Tony very well and There's an interview in the second book with Darwin or Tears, who knew him very well, and Darwin recounts a bunch of stories that Tony had told him about his work. And Tony worked with a partner in Cuba before the Castro period, and they ran razzle for the mob in the casino there, and razzle's the old carnival game. And they made lots of lots of money running razzle as a casino game, right, which.
Speaker 1: I did not see. That's the first I've ever heard of razzle being dealt in the casino.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it was huge. And Tony told this story to Dah and he said, me and my partner, you know, we had this deal with the mob. It was fifty to fifty and we were just making money hand over fist, you know, just making tons and tons of money. And then of course the mob came back and they said, okay, listen, things are changing. Now it's sixty forty, and then it was now it's you know, seventy thirty. It was a classic kind of you know, like a buyout, like a forced buyout kind of thing. And so Tony just said screw it, and he said, I'm going back to the States and he left his partner and his partner stayed on working this scam. And Darlin said to me, you know, everything that Tony told him, he spoke to other cheats and they all backed up. It was all validated, like people said, oh, yeah he did this or yeah he did that, So he legitimately was a hardcore cheeter. And there's a book called Havana Turn by TJ. English, and there's a whole chapter that talks about the mob's casino activities in Cuba, and it actually talks about Rezzle in that book.
Speaker 1: So that's a huh, yeah, I will check that out. Yeah, I lean more toward I'm much more interested in the people who were cheating in casinos than you know, the card rooms and things like that. And you know one of the guys who was an old cheat that I talked to back you know, I met this guy back in about nineteen seventy nine or something, and you know, his move was to play what they called switches, which is to literally have two guys. It's kind of like the move that Bobby Azel claims to have invented. I had always heard it called the muck switch, where the switch is happening under the table. But these guys would switch on the table and one of the moves was to just basically throw the to the other guy and the two cards would pass and into each's hand. But back then, there were really no cameras, there was no video, there wasn't any of that. So but he said, you know, every once in a while, like the guy would miss and the card would just go sailing across the table, and you know, and the dealer would be like, what the hell just happened? Yeah, but I remember him saying that he ended up giving it up because they just lost their nerves, you know, because if you got caught back then that you know, it was a pretty serious thing.
Speaker 2: Big problems, Yeah, big problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love those stories. I love hearing that stuff. And you're right, you know, things have changed in terms of you know, there were no cameras, there were peaks in the ceilings and things like that. But now with these camera systems, the resolutions crizy, and there's so many other things that limit, you know, the ability of cheats to function in effectively in casinos. And it's all it comes down at technology, and the same technology that helps governments to prevent transnational crime, you know, people smuggling, drug smuggling, state and nonstate actors engaged in terrorism, all that sort of stuff. All of this technology can easily be applied to cheating stuff. Now, so especially for me, you know, if you look at biometrics is just to killer problem for people involved in cheating. Once they know, once they have your scan, your biometrics and they identify you and you're confirmed or suspect kod of being a cheat, then biometrics is going to pick you up everywhere. You just can't beat it. There's you know a lot of cheats wear disguises, and they'll still wear disguises, and those disguises are effective up until the time that people have an elevated suspicion of who you are. Those disguises will allow you to function until you draw attention to your But once once you draw attention to yourself, biometrics just bypasses all of that because there are things that even if you wear disguises, you can't change. You can't change or capital distance, you know, the distance between your eyes, this points on your face that just can't be modified in a way that will defeat biometrics and then the other factor is AI, the ability of AI. I'm not a big fan of AI in other regards as somebody who's an author, I think AI is terrible in that sense. But in terms of casino security, AI allows very fast pattern recognition and analysis to be conducted. You know, like all of that really hard work analysis and identifying trends and tracking of locations and of activities and all of that sort of stuff can be done in an so that you can you can wag ahead of the game in terms of your analysis. So there's that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the other thing is because of all the financial reporting. You know, forty years ago, fifty years ago, you could walk up to the casino cage and cash fifty thousand dollars and they would not dream of asking you your name. Like that was you know, people, it was considered like privacy, a privacy thing, like you wouldn't ask somebody their name just because they want a bunch of money. And now you know, you can't cash out three thousand in most places without having to give ID and once they know who you are as you say, you know, they have the databases, and so yeah, it gets more more difficult and you know, the the real killer is going to be within the next ten years, it's all going to be cashless. You're going to you're going to have to buy in on your phone, and that means they're going to know who you are.
Speaker 2: You know, the digital trial. You just can't get away from that digital trial. So so cheating, I think the cheating and casinos is going to be you know, it's going to be the collusion in it. So that sort of inside of threat is going to be the biggest deal for cheating and casines. You know, it's still it's still going to be the case that someone somewhere is going to try and get some papers and markets in or casino from the inside so that people from the outside can take it off. And if they're smart, they'll take it off over time. They won't be greedy. And you know, because you know, one of the lessons from from these books my book is is that greed is a killer. Discipline and greed are the two problems that cheets have.
Speaker 1: So we have a mutual friend and I say to him, you know, the problem with you guys is not only do you guys not want to have a losing session, you don't want to lose a hand, you know. I mean if they just played a little bit of cover and settled for only having a fifty percent advantage or something, you know. But yeah, they do so many stupid things that just shoot themselves on the foot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That and that comes through in the book when we talk about people like Santa Rosa Jimmy. You know, he just couldn't leave a nickel on the table. He just had to steal everything. You know. It's like it's just a lack of discipline. And because those guys had the mentality of a road hustler, it's like, well, it doesn't matter if we burn it up here tonight, We're just going to move on to the next place, you know. So they don't care. But then you read somebody like Bobby A when he talks in the last chapter of the book, and he's like he's so angry with his partners because he's like, if you guys had had some discipline, we could have gone forever with this play. We could have just made money. Everybody could have been fine if we've just flown under the radar and not developed a profile of activity. But these guys, they just couldn't do it. They just lacked discipline. It's just it's not that they're dumb, but they are dumb. I mean, they're not low IQ, they're just not They just don't have a strategic view, right right.
Speaker 1: So are you are you a I mean, I know your background isn't magic, but do you work as a magician?
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I don't. I worked as a magician many years ago, and I very quickly got involved in a gambling demonstration. So my whole thing was I mean, I like card magic. I've still got good friends who are a really good card magicians. In fact, one of my closest friends in life is a guy called Jason Danny who had Jason on the show. Yeah, I saw that, and Jason's kind of like my little brother, you know. We were both very close to Darwin or Tears, and we both do high end hard techniques and that sort of stuff. But I don't do as much magic anymore. I mean, I still remember like five tricks that I used to do, and I can. I can dust them off and do them, but it's really just not my interest. My interest is the techniques of cheating, and that's always been a passion for me. So if I'm sitting down with a pack of cards. I'm practicing various card controls, you know that come from the table deals, and especially dice switches. I just have a I started off doing a lot of card stuff, but now really my focus is dice moves. I like those traditional dice moves, and I guess I've always liked the challenge. So dice moves for me sit at the very sort of pinnacle of difficulty. The very very good dice moves are very hard to do, and I do all of the hard high end dice switches, the palms which is in the tip switch and the fly switch, and that sort of stuff I don't do. I think the next level above that is these dice controls like the air ball that Robert Asil talks about in the book and that I've known three people personally that have actually worked that in clubs and casinos and have made money doing it. But as you find when you read the book and from Roberts comments, basically they were covering their nut. It's just not effective. And what we're talking about for the listener is that you take a pair of dice and you shake them. It looks like a fair shake and then you throw them and you kill the six on one of those those dice, and it's an amazing thing. And I don't know, you've probably had a chance to see somebody do it, but when you see it, it's out of sight. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: So just to give the listeners a little more detail, one die spins in the air. This is not a slide, but the dye goes in the air and but does not bounce off the back wall and it's spinning and so it stays with the top side up and the other die bounces off the wall. Yeah, and the problem is, yeah, I've gone out and tried to make money at this with somebody who spent many, many, many years working on it. And the problem is that from above, from a camera, it looks like a slide because you don't have the depth perception. And even from you know, a boxman could think you're trying to slide to die too. So you can't do it over and over and over. You know, maybe you get to do it once or twice, and then you've got to try to go to another casino. It's just it's just a very difficult way to make any serious money.
Speaker 2: That's right, And you're right, you've got to turn it from the eye in the sky. It looks bad. It travels in a flat move across the top of the table, even though as you've as you well know, because you've seen it, you can put the cane across the table and it's flying over that cane, you know, so you know it's getting air. But it just doesn't look good from the camera. So yeah, it's just but it's as Robert Assiel caught it, the Impossible Dream.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's different from all these guys who make money by teaching people how to dice setting all of these it's just such a sucker thing. And and and and Bobby A is very very critical of those people in the book.
Speaker 1: Yeahs as well he should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, anyway, I want to thank you for doing this. This has been great and for the listeners. Again. The book is called Thieving Bastards and it is available on Amazon. Is there if are you on any social media? If people wanted to try to get a hold of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the book is available in hardcover from my website. I'm in Australia. It ships from Australia, but it's it's it's a big, heavy book, and it's a high quality book. I know you've had a chance to read the book and see it physically. It's a super high quality product. But yeah, it's available from my website which is www dot Thecolddeckcompany dot com, so you can get it in hardcover there, and it's also available as a kindling. And I'm also I'm on Instagram as the Cold Deck Company. If you search for Andrewimhurst, you'll find me on.
Speaker 1: And I'll put links to your website and your Instagram and put I'll put links to all of it in the show notes so people can confind you.
Speaker 2: Thanks. I really appreciate it. As I said, I've been reading your book and I really enjoyed the especially the chapter with Chip Reese. And I was quite interested to find out that he was the manager of the poker room at The Juice from about seventy nine into the early eighties, which is interesting because Rodd got his start working as a cheat in the Juice.
Speaker 1: Oh I know, and am I heard like whenever whenever he was putting in a cooler on the poker table, Chip would like high tail it out of the room. He didn't want to be around when when that kind of stuff was going on. So yeah, he has some great stories about dealing at the dunes. It was too bad that those those didn't really make an end of the book.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, well actually.
Speaker 1: I heard, I heard the very first time that he dealt he he was dealing seven cards, standing, sat down, shuffled the deck, dealt out the hands, and he dealt himself in. And because you know, because he was he was used to guardina where the dealer is, you know, yeah, and the players are like, buddy, you know, you don't.
Speaker 2: Need to play. I thought it was interesting that Chip says, he says, you know, a lot of these cheats they learned a cheap before they learned how to play. And that's exactly what Rodd says. Oh, I said, you know to me, he said, I learned how to cheat before I learned how to play. And then once you learn how to cheat, you never learned how to play because you don't need to, right right. Well, thank you very much, Richard, I really appreciate the opportunity. I really appreciate it absolutely.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and have a good one everybody. I'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Free audio post production by Alphonic Dot com