Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Moon Sider. Dick Gabriel with you on a Tuesday edition of our program, or nearly a UK basketball night. But tomorrow night wild Cats play at Oklahoma. The game you'll hear right here on six thirty WLAP. It's a nine o'clock start, meaning network covered at seven thirty, local coverage at six thirty, So we'll be with you briefly from six to six thirty tomorrow night to preview the Cats and the Sooners. We do have comments from Colin Chandler tonight, a guy who's getting a lot of clock of late, played very well last couple of times out shaking off that rust from his two year layoff. But also today we're going to talk football because we had a chance to talk to a lot of the football Wildcats. In fact, UK made thirty one players available to us. I don't think and we're talking about the newcomers, the transfers. Don't think everybody got a chance to talk to the media, but we all talk to as many as we could because we had to kind of hurry it up and then get over to the basketball interviews. So from both football and basketball tonight start the morning started off with a conversation with Mark Stoops that lasted about thirty minutes, got some comments from him coming up here shortly, But I did want to start with the basketball that's more immediate. Obviously, spring practice for football is on the way, and Stoops did say there'd be some kind if not spring game once again, some kind of event for the fans, and it'd give us a chance to see the team in action. But we'll come back to Mark Stoops in just a moment, and a little bit later on, we'll hear from one of the newest Wildcats who was absolutely a fascinating story. A lot of them are, but this is a guy who is unique and well. Of course, we're talking about the offensive left tackle, the guy who figures to be the new starter on that left side. His last name is Pete and his first name is Shayaz Shaiaz Pete, who transferred in from New Mexico State, full blood of Navajo. We'll hear from him in just a few minutes. But Colin Chandler a true freshman, a little bit slow getting off the mark because of course he set out two years on his religious mission and saw Trent Noah Travis Perry doing really well as true freshman, and he was said he was rooting for them, but knew he had to be patient and it has paid off in fact, and now he is contributing and getting more minutes, of course because of the injuries to some of the starters and the other guys, but he is so happy that he is able to contribute. As tournament time draws near, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's awesome. And what's great is the expectations known that anything less than a banner is disappointing, to be honest. So we're going into March knowing that, and we're ready to go and compete.
Speaker 1: I asked him about the fact that he signed on of course with Mark Pope followed him to Lexienen. He has had to wait to turn and now he's playing meaningful minutes and playing well. And I asked him what it felt like to, you know, be able to contribute knowing that his coach has confidence in him.
Speaker 2: I think confidence in yourself comes from knowing that your teammates and your coach is confident in you before you go out there, and so it means a lot to have. And I know he is confident even with the injuries that we have. Is he's got to make some adjustments, but I mean me and all the other guys are there to step up where we need to, and.
Speaker 1: As you can imagine, being able to produce the way he has, he said, is just a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: It's so fun, so fun. I mean, I've been playing a lot of basketball and practice and all those things and getting reps, but it's a difference. It's a different thing getting in games and being able to to p play freely and confidently, and so it's been really fun for me.
Speaker 1: And the fact that you've played well, what did that do for you mentally or confidence?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, I mean it's I think for confidence. I feel like I can compete and belong here in this league and I can actually help the team. I think that's helped me a lot in my confidence and having fun in this game.
Speaker 1: As Colin Chandler well here tomorrow night from otega Oway, who is going back to OU transferred to Kentucky from Oklahoma. Jackson Robinson's from their Brandon Garrison played at Oklahoma State. So there's a lot of that going through the Kentucky roster. But more than anything, it's a game they've got to win again. Shifting over to football now. Mark Tuops talked to us this morning and I asked him the last question of the day, and I asked him basically about all the changes that have come about in college football of late. And he's talked about it ever since those rules and shot away from it. Some people don't like it when he talks about it, but it has changed the way the game is being played, the way the game is being operated for every coach and in say football. And I asked Stoops, given all those changes, is he enjoying his job now as much as he always has.
Speaker 3: I enjoy it right now as much as I ever have. And I think it would be you know, maybe maybe I shouldn't say it was good. It is what it is. Right last year it was, you know, it was not what I wanted. It was not what anybody wanted. That falls squarely on me, you know, And I know people all you get tired. You know, there's a lot of things that you have to adapt to, and you know, and one way or another it ties back directly to me, and you know so, but it is a big organization, it's a big department, you know, and there's a lot of areas that that we have to all adapt to and you don't do it, do it at a high level. And you know, so with that being said, with the situation the way it was, like, I couldn't be more energized and focused and determined to get this thing back into you know, keep growing the program like we once did, you know, as good as anybody with the sustained success that we had for a long period of time that it's hard to do in our league.
Speaker 1: I would say that he seems energized. And I think some of that, of course, is you know, being able to get out there, as he says, on the grass with his players and not have to worry about, you know, doing background checks on kids and putting a roster together and you know, doing the paperwork basically that comes. It's not busy work, but it's non actual coaching work that comes with being a head coach. That's what he signed up for. And of course he makes a lot of money, and people always bring that up to me. That's a specious argument, because it doesn't matter how much a coach makes. If you argue that coach makes xyz amount of dollars for that kind of money, blah blah, blah. I would say, where's the cutoff. If he's making half of that, will you be saying that, If he's making a third of that, will you cut him more slack? No, that much, making that kind of money, it doesn't matter. You know, you can still make observations. And people like to say, if the guy, if any coach makes a comment about maybe if it's an unnamed player who makes a mistake or doesn't consider, well, he's blaming the players, or he's blaming his staff, or if he fires an assistant coach, throwing a guy under the bus. You know, No, that's part of the job as the head coach. And I can tell you at least half a dozen times today Stoops took the blame for what happened last year in more ways than one. He said it directly, he said it indirectly, And I'm not trying to carry the guy's water. I'm just telling you what he said. And his entire news conference is out there, it's on YouTube. I urge you to watch it. But he basically took the blame because the responsibility is his, no question about it. And so he talked about that, among other things, about how he and his staff had to rebuild the roster and reset the way that they're coaching this team.
Speaker 3: I think we had to be very strategic in defining exactly what we want to do, and you know, and then you know, teaching that to the players and having them, you know, I just and I like the way they've accepted that, the way they've accepted the coaching. They understand very clearly what's expected of them. They're working very hard and it feels very good. You know, nobody likes the year that we had, but maybe, you know, I like where we're at right now.
Speaker 1: One of the questions I had prepared basically trying to figure out how am I going to phrase this so you know, I can get the answer that I'm looking so he knows what I mean. You know, he knows what I'm going for, And he answered it before I could ask it. But I kind of wanted to ask him about rebuilding the team, the roster and comparing it to when he first got here, because remember what it was like and I'm not not and the kids who were on the roster, and there were some good players, just not enough. They just weren't deep at all when it came to talent. They could compete a little bit, but when you started getting into the second team, the second twenty two, you know, way back in twenty thirteen, there just wasn't enough. But now, rebuilding through the portal is a different animal. Plus the culture's been established. That was something he had to do when he got here. Every coach does that. Some believe that word is overused. Culture. Somebody will come up with a different word and we'll start to overuse that, But I think it's a good word now. It's basically, you know, the vibe, the way things feel, what's expected of the players, how it's made clear to them what they need to know, what they need to do. Mark Pope does it. Nick bne Owne does it, Kenny Brooks does it. Every coach who's any good, they all do it. And for Stoops, the culture has been in place, they've had success. As he mentioned earlier, he had to go out and get guys who could fit the way he wants to do business, and it looks like he's done that well. Here from one of those new guys. Next in six thirty WLAP Welcome Back coming up in just a few minutes. Cameron Drummond of the heir of leader, we'll talk Kentucky basketball with us and in our number two, Josh Teeter, coming off a tour victory on the Corn Ferry Tour, had a chance to visit with Josh over the weekends, so you hear that coming up as well as Hallie DeVore of WTVQ I mentioned the football interviews we did today. In a fascinating interview, talk about unique Shayaz Pete, an offensive lineman, likely the starting left tackle six' eight, three twenty one senior transfer From New Mexico State. University he's a full Blooded Navajo Native. American played three seasons well kind of At New Mexico. State sat out as a, freshman played as a red shirt freshman in twelve, games started nine and after that started fifteen as a sophomore six games last, year but sat out the back half of the season with an. Injury and he came through the portal and you might recall he was the Guy kentucky was waiting. On you might have heard, that, well the portal traffic may be, done but there's one guy they're waiting, on or at least one old, lineman and this was the, guy and for whatever, reason other teams dawdled, apparently And kentucky was there and he cast his ballot basically chose The, Wildcats and today he talked to us about why he chose to be In.
Speaker 4: LEXINGTON i feel like a lot of other universities WERE i guess not taking seriously or the ship had already said for a lot of, Them But kentucky still offered their hand and coached scoops as a. Statesman he's a very genuine man AND i placed a lot of my trust into him in my final.
Speaker 5: Decision in my final decision with.
Speaker 6: Him how much was the relationship with Coach wolford a part of that?
Speaker 4: Too my relationship with, Him, YEAH i mean, it it started at the end at the start of the.
Speaker 5: Year he's he lives up to his.
Speaker 4: Name he's a, wolf he's, cunning he's, keen he's pretty. SHARP i, LIKE i like that about.
Speaker 5: Him there's a lot of guys From Los. Cruces then went To. Vanderbilt did did did? They did they try to pull you that direction as?
Speaker 4: Well ACTUALLY i toured At nashville OR i did an official. Visit it was good to see MY i, guess my former coaches, there former. Teammates it was good to, reconnect but it just wasn't the right fit for me in terms of their offensive, scheme AND i JUST i wanted SOMETHING i guess different FROM i Guess New mexico Slash vanderbilt's offensive.
Speaker 5: Scheme so how how challenging was it having the year that you had two seasons ago and then not being able to play for you, know half the year last.
Speaker 4: Year it's definitely a, challenge BUT i still approached it LIKE i would any other. Season you, know it's Still i'm still playing football out, there Whether i'm actually not playing football or. NOT i sustained a pretty heavy injury AND i had to kind of come come to terms with, that face reality and work my ass off when it comes to rehabilitation and getting myself battle.
Speaker 1: Ready, yeah you said Coach stoops as a. Statesman what do you mean by?
Speaker 5: That well's.
Speaker 4: Genuine he's super honest and he means what he. Says AND i like that about. Him he's a genuine. Person he's he's very h how do you put? It focuses on the players and the fact that this team is going to be player led in the sense THAT i, mean we're going to pave the way for. It we're the first on the. Line we're going to define our. Culture given, OTHERS i mean a lot of new transfers and, whatnot we have to come up with something like.
Speaker 5: That when you.
Speaker 1: Were Researching, kentucky what did you? See what did you look?
Speaker 5: For what DID i? See what DID i look?
Speaker 4: For, well one of my, decisions, apologies one of my decisions was kind of conference in my willing to compete in AND i, Figured, hell this is one hell of a mountain to, climb SO i might as well. Climate you, Know I'm i'm committed to making my last stand. Here so that's what was one of my decision.
Speaker 6: Points she has transferring the sec being AN nfl draft, prospect you're gonna be one of the most Visible Native American navajo athletes in the. Country what does that kind of label mean to you in representing that part of your?
Speaker 5: Culture, again it's a deep.
Speaker 4: OWNER I i love WHAT i, do AND i do it for my, community for the, youth to give them a beacon of hope that you, know there's there's a way out of, it there's a there's a way, up there's a way to create and turn defeat into victory And I'm i'm proud to be on the frontier of that and to define.
Speaker 6: It were there guys you looked up to growing up like that, too who taked the way for you to be in the?
Speaker 7: Spot?
Speaker 5: Not how do you? Mean were there Other Native.
Speaker 6: American And avo athletes out there who you, thought, OH i can do that, too or were you kind of carving.
Speaker 4: That animo as A Native american. Athlete he's a big influence on, me big. INSPIRATION i WISH i could shake his inn and introduce, myself But i'd have to say that's one of my main.
Speaker 1: INFLUENCES a few years, ago believe it or, not there was a pro athlete here in, town minor league baseball player who was the first member of The Crow nation to be a pro, athlete and he told us what that meant to his, culture stretching all the way back To. Montana you, know have you heard from a lot of relatives and things like.
Speaker 4: That, yeah you, know people reach out and what. NOT i, mean it's a very close knit community within The Navo. Nation i've, had you, know fans come up and introduce themselves and. Whatnot but how do you feel about?
Speaker 5: That it's, Nice it's it's.
Speaker 4: Different it's, new And I'm i'm recognizing That i'm a public, figure SO i have to conduct my business in a professional manner and compete with, class compete with.
Speaker 5: Like stoops the.
Speaker 6: Estatesman how different is it being In kentucky where they're they're just not a lot of Other navajo people around Versus New mexico where you grew, up where it was so much more common.
Speaker 5: In being around.
Speaker 4: It it's on that, community it's like it's foreign. Territory i'll tell you. That it's there's not a lot of representation out of, here And i'm Realizing i'm in like there's there's no one else, here AND i guess understanding THE i guess the knowing that there's not a lot of representation out, THERE i have an opportunity to to be that that person that to be on the frontier of, it to represent.
Speaker 1: That Is Shaia's. Pete the new offensive lineman came through the portal From New Mexico state and just a really eloquent. Speaker like most offensive. Linemen i'm a little, biased but just to give you some, background his, Dad, natani is a captain in The United States army and he is of The Salish navajo. Tribe his mother is full Blooded, navajo and he was born actually In, montana but of course he's been playing his college football In New mexico and now he's A Kentucky. Wildcat and AS i, mentioned six p' eighty three twenty one and, folks not a bit of it hangs over his. Belt he is the most athletic looking but the due respect to all the other old Linemen i've, covered and maybe it's just because he's so, big he is the most athletic looking old LINEMAN i Think i've ever. Seen and you know who else is big and we'll hear from him coming up in the next few. Days we talked To Joshua, braun who just might be figures to be the new starting center for The, wildcats transferred in From, arkansas also played At. Florida great, speaker and these guys are both really, mature SO i think you're gonna like the way they, play the way they handle, themselves AND i thought it was really fascinating to talk to WHO i Believe i'm pretty sure he's the first full blood Of nevajo ever to play At. Kentucky Cam drumming next and six thirty W welcome back to The Big Blue. Insider join us, now as you guys been on the show with us. BEFORE i haven't talked To Cam drummond in a while from THE Herold leader And, cam how's your basketball season?
Speaker 8: Going it's going pretty. WELL i, MEAN i think all of us have been thoroughly impressed and entertained so far with What kentucky's put on the, court both on the men's and women's, SIDE i should. Say but now as we kind of Approach march and the stretch run with, THINGS i think everything will ratchet, up you, know a couple of, degrees but the heat'll get turned on a little bit more and before we know, it we'll be talking about THE Sec tournament in THE Ncaa tournament and seating and brackets and all that good.
Speaker 1: STUFF i may point out as well That cam works on THE uk basketball beat With Ben roberts covers horse racing, soccer drops in on women's basketball. Year you're just kind of whatever it, takes, guy aren't.
Speaker 8: You, yeah let's try. It and you mentioned it the New Lexington Sporting club seasons or Are broth starting up for the spring as? Well and you, know as soon as the basketball season's, end whether that's early in the tournament or late in the, tournament The Kentucky derby will be right around the corner as. Well so, thanks thanks for reminding me of just how Busy i'll be this.
Speaker 1: Spring there's no, rest there never. Is. Uh you recently posted On twitter or a link to a story About Andrew carr coming back from his, injury AND i reminded myself and some people as well, that you, know early in the, season when he was playing so, well especially in That duke. GAME i think a lot of people believe that As Andrew carr, went so go The. Wildcats not exactly the, case but, UH i think people forget just how valuable he can.
Speaker 8: Be you, know, yeah, Certainly and, yeah you mentioned the article THAT i, Posted so please anyone interested in that please go out To kentucky dot com And kentucky dot com slash sports to read more About Andrew. Carr and to your, point you, know so you think about some Of kentucky's best and biggest performances this, season That duke, game in the third game of the, season the overtime win At gonzaga When kentucky was with That Lamon, butler and that was the game Where Kerr krista suffered his significant. Injury that Was carr's highest scoring game of the. Season and we've seen a bit of a return to form For Andrew carr over the last two. Games, obviously that back injury that first flared up when non conference play wrapped up On New Year's day kind of lingered with him for the better part of seven eight. Weeks he even had to miss that First vanderbilt game down In nashville because it was so. Bad was basically a non factor in the road win At. Tennessee he only played like ninety seconds because of it and just generally looked a bit out of sorts as he managed that obviously super painful and, significant especially for a big man. Injury but now we've seen him get back into the starting lineup and AS i, mentioned the last two, performances last week's win Over, vanderbilt and despite losing In, tuscaloosa we saw The Andrew carr of. Old he was aggressive on, offense he was active on the, boards he was hunting, Shots he was being real demonstrative in all of his offensive, actions whether that was shooting the, ball ducking in setting screens popping. Out you, know we haven't seen a ton of him from a three point shooting perspective this, season at least maybe not as much relative to preseason. Expectations but he made three shots from deep At, alabama WHICH i believed tied a career high and was the most he's made all. Season so we're Seeing Andrew carr trending in the right direction and certainly giving the injury outlook For kentucky right. Now that's something That Mark pope's team needs in a desperate way as the season nears an.
Speaker 1: End, yeah AND i remember earlier in the season cam before the, injury he was passing up three, pointers and you, know you could feel the fans being frustrated with, him even where we sit up in the. Rafters but And pope talked about, that and you could tell he BEGAN i won't say he was hunting his three point, shot but he was a little more aggressive with it before he got, hurt which is one of the reasons it was so frustrating when he went.
Speaker 8: Down, yeah, Certainly and Something i've even noticed is a bit more of a smoother flow To Andrew carr's three point shot as, WELL i, Mean i'm not sure if that's something where it's reducing the stress on his back or just maybe some refinements he's made in the gym or watching. Film but the last couple of games where he's kind of up to that three point shot usage as, Well i've noticed a bit more of a smoother, delivery a bit less of a hitch in his. Shot and obviously you don't really Need Andrew carr to be shooting five or six threes a game when we've seen What Kobe brea and Otega oway and some of the other guys have done as. Well but, certainly his distant shooting, ability his ability to space the floor in that regard is one of his most unique aspects as a, player and it's something That kentucky's other bigs don't really, offer you, know aside from that one three pointer In, texas And Mario williams isn't going to be out there shooting a ton of, threes you, Know Brandon garrison's on a pretty steady diet of one or two a. Game but still neither of those guys, really you, know command the kind of attention when they stepped beyond the three point arc from opposing defense as that car.
Speaker 1: Does, yeah you're, right and you could tell When williams hit that one Against. Texas, uh then he kind of looked for the next, one you, Know and you're, right that's not exactly what you want to. See we're talking With Cam, drummond OTHER erro. Leader he, covers among other, Things kentucky, basketball and you know when we were all trying to figure out what this team was going to do and How Mark pope was going to do, it and, then as you, said we were all kind of pleasantly surprised. EARLY i don't know about, you BUT i always kind of by WROTE i do it more for football than, anything, say but you got to stay. Healthy and YET i just who saw this? COMING i, mean at one point when you figured That otega was just blanked basically Against, alabama they essentially faced The Crimson tide In tuscaloosa minus four of their top seven players and still get them a. RUN i don't know what to make of, that do?
Speaker 8: You, No it's, Remarkable and you, know you think about the injuries That kentucky's had this. Year, obviously three significant injuries like they've had would hamper any team and would cause. Issues but then you think about the fact that they've all happened to basically the same position. Group you, know that point guard leave guard, role and you know the fact that they're down to their fourth option right now at point guard With Travis, perry who's been playing very, amicably you, know really giving it is all in a situation that nobody could have expected early in the. Season and yet to your, point with The Otago oway having an incredibly uncharacteristic, scoring you, know offensive performance Against alabama with the likes Of, Butler, Jackson robinson And cresa all, out the fact That kentucky even established that early double digit, lead the fact that they even in the second half late in the game on multiple, occasions had it down to a three or a four point game says a lot about just the fight and the effort That kentucky's. Had and you, know we've been discussing this with Mare hope for about three or four. Weeks it feels like now he's not going to blame. Injuries he's not going to say that as an excuse or as an out for some of these performances or. Defeats but obviously it's an incredibly valid one especially when you think about the fact that not only are those players out of the lineup In kentucky's down to essentially nine healthy scholarship, guys but they're having to completely reinvent the wheel a bit in terms of how they are playing with three freshmen in the, fold With Amari, williams With Kobe, brea with Artega, oway you, know With Travis perry being the guys who bring the ball up the. Court that totally affects their, sets you, know how they're able to get back in, transition how they're able to instigate transition on offense as. Well so just a lot of stuff that's had to be kind of reworked on the fly here By pope and his coaching. Staff and it's certainly things that you can't account in the early part of the. Season so as much As kentucky fans and just Probably i'm sure national college basketball fans at large have been disappointed by kind of the up and down nature of the, SEASON i think it's relatively under, standable just given how Hard kentucky has been hit at such a crucial position, group the way that they like to play on both ends of the.
Speaker 1: Floor, Well i've been Covering kentucky basketball. FOREVER i can't remember a rash of injuries like, this as you, say at the one position, group and of course this is you, know not that there are levels of, uniqueness but this is incredible unique this, year the way they had to rebuild the. Roster and, again AS i said, earlier you, know we're all trying to figure out when you, know we flat at Asked, mark how are you going to do? This and he, said the players are going to help me decide. That and he was, right of, course but he kind of hadn't changed the way he coaches this team right in the middle of the, year didn't.
Speaker 8: He, well, NO i mean certainly they're kind of trying to do the same, things obviously with just different personnel in. Place and, look you, know it's a bit of an unfortunate and probably unrealistic ask for anybody, to for, example slot in at the lead yard spot on defense and offer anything close to the point of attack defense and just the overall defensive ability that A Lamont butler. Offers, Right but we've seen different guys step up in different. Moments you, know A Colin chandler comes up with two or three steals in the. Game we've Seen Travis perry really fight his tail off on that end of the. Court you, know even some of the bigger guys on the offensive. END i mean, again the whole you, know big man point guard dynamic That Amari williams has brought to this. Team who could have envisioned, that you, know three four months. Ago and just the overall you, know offensive load that a guy Like Kobe brea has had to. Carry and we're seeing more from him on the defensive side as. Well and this is all coming. Simultaneously while even While Lamont butler And Robinson increasa were in the, Fold kentucky wasn't exactly going to, be you, know confused for a nineteen EIGHTIES nba defensive, juggernaut, Right but even despite those guys going, Out kentucky has shown the ability to, improve, however marginally on the defensive. End they're making strides in that. Regard you, know, obviously when you give up that many points To alabama and they have that much success on the offensive, end you, know things might be a bit sad in that regard when they look at the film. Tape but you think about some of the performances they've strung. Together in That South carolina, game in That vanderbilt, game you know they are making some instrumental. Process and it's not exactly about turning into again like you know the Eighties piston or the Eighties celtics on that end of the. Court it's just about getting good enough on defense to allow what you do on, offense making three, pointers play at a fast, tempo allowing your guards and big men to score from all over the. Court just being good enough on the defensive side to allow that to carry you to. Win and you, KNOW i Think, Kentucky i'm not sure if you'll be able to get, there but they're making more progress THAN i would have, envisioned given the injuries To butler And robinson, increase AND i think that's something that merits some praise as.
Speaker 1: Well talking To Cam drummond or The Hero, leader you can follow him On twitter obviously you want to see his work At kentucky dot. Com we'll come back with more questions For cam on the other side of the break here on six THIRTY Wlap welcome. Back we're talking To Cameron. Drummond See drummond ninety seven on ex Or twitter if you will covers, basketball, soccer horse, racing and a lot. More for the hero leader you, Mentioned Amary. WILLIAMS i think it's been fascinating watching. Him it generally goes in the other, direction watching him learn what he can get away. With you, know generally when big guys come, up they're a little too physical or they're you, know they get called for fouls too much because they're trying to do too. Much you, know because he couldn't get away with much at the mid major level when he was A. Drexel you, know, now as he's pointed, out he can be a lot more physical and he has BECOME i, think incrementally. Better have you seen it that?
Speaker 9: Way? Oh.
Speaker 8: Certainly. YEAH i think my favorite development just to, follow you, know just as a basketball fan throughout the course of This kentucky, season has been the emergence Of Amury, williams not just in a ball handling trying a big man point guard role LIKE i referenced, earlier but just in terms of his physicality on the block and the way in which he's learned how to throw his weight around so is muscle. AROUND i, mean this is the guy who's seven feet, tall two hundred and sixty two, pounds you, know has absolute size and strength about, him yet throughout so much at the early course of the, season he seemed a little bit tentative or just a little bit unsure of how to use that size and something that he's talked to us a lot, about you. Know as the reason for that is just when he played At drexel for four, seasons when he played at the mid major, level nobody else in THE Cia, conference you, know has the ability or the size or the strength to guard. Him so something that they would, do almost as like a bailout, tactic would be fall to the, ground they would get fouls drawn on. Him and while that worked at that, level guys in THE sec usually have a bit more stuff about, them both in terms of basketball ability and in terms of the actual size and brute. Strength so guys are facing him a bit, more you, know one on, one strength on, strength and that's allowed On mari to bring that out of his own. Game he's no longer concerned about a guy going to the, ground you, know for a charge or, whatever or an offensive. Foul so he feels very comfortable kind of backing a guy In everyone knows how dangerous he is with his left. Hand we're even seeing that right hand kind of come along a little bit in recent. Games and even when everyone in the country knows he wants to go to his left, hand he's still able to get to that left hand and finish effectively at the. Rim as a shot blocking, presence he's come along as. Well you, know he's had a couple Of titanic blocks that got the Rap aerena crowd really going this. Season so, yeah, CERTAINLY i think of Any kentucky player on the, roster he's the one who's maybe most evolved the, most not only in terms of expanding his game to that ball handling, role but also just in terms of evolving what he already was known to do as a defensive presence and as a general big.
Speaker 1: Man you mentioned earlier how entertaining this team has. Been did you expect this style of? Play did you watch Much Brigham young? Basketball because, Man Rupp aerena has gone nuts a few times this.
Speaker 8: Year, HONESTLY i can't SAY i expected it to be at this. Level i'm not going to confuse myself with A byu super. FAN i can't pretend LIKE i was up super late or making two much time to watch, them, why you, know whether they were in THE wcc or in The big twelve last. Season BUT i think we kind of knew what to, expect especially on the offensive, end in terms of sharing the ball five. Out you, know sometimes offense cutting being such a point of emphasis in terms of that's how the offense gets. Initiated you, know guys making back door, cut slicing through the, middle you, know just kind of constant. Movement BUT i do think the thing that that's kind of been interesting to notice is just how much that, cutting in that kind of off ball movement ties Into kentucky having a good offensive. Performance and when that stuff is, lacking where that stuff is a bit, lazier that stuff isn't as, Cohesive kentucky usually seems to really labor on, offense go long into the shot, clock all of those. Things so as much As Mark pope told us In October, november that, cutting spacing off ball movement was so paramount his, offense watching it in, practice both when things go well and when things don't go well for The cats has been just kind of a real eye opening thing in terms of all right with. It this guy's style of Play this is the most important thing to having a conducive offensive performance and people love.
Speaker 1: IT i mean when they cut to the basket and passed so, well it is so. Entertaining we're talking To Cam drummond of The Hero leader a few more, minutes BUT i do want to shift you. OVER i have not as learned it as you perhaps in soccer, sure but like to watch. It WHEN i was in high, school my buddies were playing and it can be. Fun how do you think the soccer community here In lexington has taken to what's happening way out there NEAR i seventy. Five what a complex out. THERE i mean it has sprung up really, impressively hasn't.
Speaker 8: It, yeah it's super, interesting just in terms of the growth That Lexington Sporting club has had in such a, short sir period of. Time excuse, me you think about. IT i THINK i arrived In lexington's summer of twenty twenty. One october of twenty twenty one was when the team was announced That Lexington Sporting club would be, formed that they begetting a professional men's. Team now you fast forward less than four years into the, future the professional men's team is about to be entering its third season of. Play they've already moved up a division FROM Usl League one to THE Usl, championship which is the same league That Louisville city plays. In and now we're in the first season Of Lexington Sporting club's professional women's, team which plays in THE Usl Super, league which is a brand new pro women's soccer league that just debuted this Past. September they use a fall in spring season, format So Lexington Sporting club on the women's side have just begun the spring portion of that. Season and that's to say nothing of as you, mentioned the sprawling complex that they have now NEAR i seventy five And Athens Boonsboro, road where they HAVE i think it's a five thousand speeder, stadium potentially even a seventy five hundred seater, stadium you, know something in the multiple thousand, range a ton of practice, fields a variety of youth, teams you, know all the way from the small children's side in that age group to the pre professional. Level talking YOUR u, seventeens YOU'R u, eighteens some elite high school players from The lexington And Central kentucky area into the. Fold so, yeah you think about that span of growth in just such a short period of, time it's pretty impressive how much you, know they've kind of, grown you, know throughout that. Period and, yeah you're starting to see more members of the community take, notice especially in comparison to where they used to play out At Toyota stadium on the campus Of Georgetown. College there's certainly a little bit more of A lexington local feel to it. Now you, know they've gone through some coaching, changers haven't had the most success on the, field BUT i think everyone in the organization from the top on, down is really targeting twenty twenty five as a year for gross on both the men's and women's, sides but in particular on the men's, side given that they're now at THE Usl championship, level the highest division offered under THE usl, structure and now as they're playing some official serious matches Against Louisville city as well to kind of spark that battle of The bluegrass.
Speaker 1: RIVALRY i, wondered what a facility that far off the beaten path out, There Athon's. Boonsboro it's selectioning and it's not that far, away BUT i wondered would it work would it draw are They are they happy with where they are right now with attendance and way the way fans are shown.
Speaker 8: UP i think there's certainly room for, growth you. KNOW i think a lot of that has to do with with just the fact, that, hey people are still kind of learning What Lexington Sporting club, is you, know learning That lexington in Central kentucky has a professional soccer franchise of its. Own you, KNOW i don't think attendancies are necessarily bursting out of the gate quite, yet but it's obviously still early in the inception of that. FACILITY i think moving to a higher division on the men's side will certainly. Help, obviously as The World cup in twenty twenty six kind of nears a bit closer in The United states And North america at, large attention on soccer will spike back up. Again you, know every time that there's An Olympic games like we had this past, summer interest in women's, soccer you, know it seems to explode in interested women's sports across the. Board obviously having a real boon right. Now SO i think it's a bit of a work in, progress. OBVIOUSLY i think if they can get the product on the field to be a little bit, better whether that's being in playoff, contention contending for, championships which is a stated goal of the, club enfranchise on both the men's and women's, sides that will certainly. Help but, YEAH i think just you, know kind of getting awareness. Out obviously you mentioned it's kind of a bit further out. There you, know it feels like you're almost driving THE eku And richmond sometimes when you're you're making the trek out to that. Facility but it is quite a nice. Facility it's you, know it's an all seater. Thing they have everything from general ticket options to you, know a LITTLE vip suite. Area the pitch always seems to be a in phenomenal, condition AND i think one of the things That Lexington Sporting club is banking on pretty strongly as well is getting that local community buy and, support in particular through youth. Teams you, know they want local high school clubs or local you, know youth soccer. Teams the, families, parents friends of the kids who are in The Lexington Sporting club youth set up already to be regular attendees of matt to help fill out the. CROWD i, know they're continuing to try and get a little bit more interest in activeness in terms of like the dedicated supporters group. Feel but excuse, ME i would, recommend you, know people going out and giving it a, try just because it's a new you, know sports phenomenon kind of in the Central Kentucky lexington sphere and something that the area hasn't really had, before and it's worth at least giving it a test drive in kind to see if that's something that'll.
Speaker 1: Stick we're talking To Cam drummond and, well we actually had a, time but the next Time, cam we'll talk about THE tbt. SITUATION i know you've been covering that it's coming back and they've made some changes for the. Better but for now you can Follow camin the pages Of The Hero leader At kentucky dot com and On twitter or Exit Seed drumming ninety. Seven thank, you, SIR i have a great. One appreciate. It thank you for the.
Speaker 8: Time dick.
Speaker 1: Up next hour number, two we'll we're more from the Football. Wildcats when we're From Hallie dolor OF wtvq and From Josh, Teeter kentucky boy and newly crowned golf. Champion that's next you're on six point. Thirty how would you l like.
Speaker 10: B welcome back to The Big.
Speaker 1: BLONSIDER i remember two of our programs coming. Up in just a few, minutes we're gonnare From Josh, teeter who was in town following his victory on the Corn Ferry tory one down At Panama. City panama won the. Championship huge win for The danville, Native Moorhead state, product And lexington. Residents we'll hear From josh in just a couple of, minutes also From Hallie DeVore OF, wtvq Covers Dowyle kats both basketball and. Football but we need to talk about what's going on, today and it's probably. Over maybe it spills into a second, DAY i don't. Know down In, dallas the conferences involved in a college football playoff are gathering to talk about the future. Format because we pre, recorded it is likely. Over we have to talk about what happened tomorrow if indeed they make some sort of announcement after today's. Meeting but this is gonna Get this could get a little. Ugly and if you look back on the playoff this past, YEAR i think we'll all agree that the seating was. Wrong it was, bad poorly. Done but some of those bigger conferences were locked, in and you, know obviously The big ten in THE sec were locked in to their slots the brackets in the. Playoff The big ten and THE sec wants straight seeding again for next season or this coming football playoff twenty twenty, five and THE, Acc big twelve and other SIX fbs conferences don't want. It so now the question is how badly do The big ten and THE sec want. It you got to wonder will they make the other conferences financially hold no matter what the, Format you, know what kind of guarantees will there be within the future format beginning of twenty twenty, six because that's when The big ten and THE sec will not need a unanimous agreement to change the rules this. Year today they need a unanimous, agreement but beginning next year they do. Not so The big ten moving forward can do ANY sec they can do whatever they. Want so today's, meeting obviously vital And Mike wilbond was on With Tony, KOENHEISER i believe this was ON pti talking about this, situation and he's the son of The Big ten with The northwestern but like most of us believes that what might be good for The Big ten in THE, sec really, good Including kentucky obviously, financially won't be good for the rest of college. Football my focus is entirely somewhere.
Speaker 7: Else it it leads toward the ruination of WHAT i appreciate about college, football having followed it all my, life having covered it half my. LIFE i hate what this is. Doing and, Yes i'm a trustee of the university in one of those conferences that is at the big kid. Table, okay it's The Golden child, table to be in The Big ten or THE, sec And i'm grateful for. That but Now i'm Sure i'm gonna make people who deal with me in The big ten.
Speaker 1: Cringe.
Speaker 7: TONY i don't like exclusion when.
Speaker 5: It comes to.
Speaker 1: SPORT i want.
Speaker 7: Inclusion and when you cut out fan, bases you cut out regions of the of the, country not just, conferences because you can absorb those teams under another. UMBRELLA i get that THE usc AND ucla And Washington oregon can be in The Big ten and you sort of don'ate slue what you're. Doing, exclude you exclude, rivalries you eliminate. Them you, eliminate you chop down when you do, THIS a big part of our college football really is AND i find it. Loathesome So i'm not gonna deal with whether it's. DESERVED i don't. Know it just it distracts in a major way from college football to.
Speaker 1: Me That's Mike wilbon talking To Tony kornheiser ON pti looking back at the playoffs this past, year this is what it would have looked like if not for the seeding the problems they had this, year because of course you had schools conference champs that were locked. In Boise state was a three. Seed people, said, well that ain't, Right and if they were properly, Seeded Boise state instead of a number, three would have been a number nine in the one through twelve seeding. Format Arizona state number four would have been number twelve per The Final College Football, Poll oregon's reward for earning the number one overall seed would have been a second round game against the winner Of indiana Or Boise state instead of against eventual national Champ Ohio. State, georgia with the number two overall, seed would have been in The Sugar bowl against Either tennessee OR smu instead of Against Notre. Dame so the big ten in THE sec, believe of, course the straight seed format is best for everybody and places an emphasis on successful regular. Seasons Kirby smart has said that he can't imagine a upper road TO hoe than winning THE, sec which is why AN sec champion deserves that. Buy but how could a champion from The big twelve of THE acc or a group of five champ supplant THE sec And big ten champs from the two top spots in any straight seeded. Pole it's a real, mess and it's again it's what's good for college football as opposed to what's good for these. Leagues and if you're A kentucky, fan you know then now With texas And oklahoma in the league and no more divisional, championships it's even harder for a mid level team Like. Kentucky i'm talking about really at its better, Times Thander Mark steubs still brutally tough to win AN sec. Championship Josh sheeters next on six THIRTY wlap welcome back to The Big blue and side they're gonna step away from basketball and football from in a talk a little golf because he was one Of kentucky's Own Josh, Teeter danville, native played At Moorhead state lives In. Lexington now you might have heard this last, week But i'm gonna get into it a little bit more because we had a chance to talk To josh. Recently he won an event on the Corn Ferry. Tour he won The Panama championship In Panama, city and this was. Incredible he started the final round six strokes. Behind he was four, under part tied for, twentieth you, know knocking it, around but he birdied three of the first five holes and then he made the turn in two under at thirty shot of thirty three on the front nine four more birdies on the, back so when he bogied, eighteen it didn't. Matter he finished with a sixty five and won the. Championship and they had a little reception for him of celebration recently At malons here In, lexingon AND i along with several of my media, brethren had a chance to talk To josh and he's a soft. Now he choked up a little bit during the. Interview he choked up a little bit when he was talking to the, crowd great crowd on, hand and he did a great job for the folks who put on the event At, malone's THE behg, group and it was a lot of fun and we had a chance to talk To josh about a big win for.
Speaker 9: Him you, know it's just fun to. Celebrate you, know play all the time and try to win every, time but you, know it rarely, happens as we've, seen and you, know sometimes it's my issue That i'm not, winning and other times you just get. Beat so this time it worked out for, me and just very thankful to be able to celebrate and thanks to Bad global for putting it all.
Speaker 5: Together how much they have to twist your arm on, this.
Speaker 9: Not too, much you, know you, KNOW I i'm glad to do it And i'm happy to do it and just really enjoy the night for.
Speaker 1: Sure why did this want work out for?
Speaker 5: You what went so well for? You you?
Speaker 9: KNOW i THINK i was just kind of unphased throughout the. Week the conditions were, tough kind of the whole week and panamall and, UH i just enjoyed the game and had fun with each, shot even uh though there were some bad ones along the, way AND uh just kind of went forward and didn't really look back and, uh you, Know sunday just was one of the better Rounds i've ever, played and in some of the toughest conditions THAT i didn't realize it was as good around as it was WHEN i finished until, uh you, know all the other scores kind of came in and, uh you, know just kind of the door.
Speaker 10: Open is that something you can bottle to take out with you next time you're out?
Speaker 9: There, YEAH i MEAN i think you can count of the mindset of just kind of being unphased and kind of control what you can and not worry about what you can't. Control you can kind of always do, that and that's kind of always the. Goal but some days it's tougher than. Others some weeks obviously it can be. Rough but, yeah that's a goal for.
Speaker 11: Sure, Josh, panama what an obscure place to play a round of golf or several.
Speaker 5: Rounds how did you find that?
Speaker 9: Experience you, KNOW i was about the seventh Time i've been, there all the way back to like two thousand and nine WHEN i was a rookie on what was in The Nationwide. Tour so, YEAH i Mean i'm kind of familiar with. It the golf course is pretty similar to what it was back, then just in better condition now because they've added some money into the course and got some good turf and linked in it a little. Bit but you, know you, know you're gonna have a thirty forty minute bus ride to the course each, day and with a you, know full of your playing competitors and caddies and really a lot like you, know my trip To Cocoa beach within your clay baseball back in the, day you, know so bring back some. Memories but, YEAH i mean just kind of enjoy.
Speaker 11: It did that thirty forty minute ride maybe helps you get right mentally in a different way than you ever have.
Speaker 9: Before you, KNOW i DON'T i don't THINK i could say, that but you, KNOW i was listening to some podcasts or watching comedy special Of Ghani Marion weber that just came out that, week and you, KNOW i was laughing on the way. There so maybe that had a little bit to do with.
Speaker 1: It you talked about having fun with each. Shot most weekend hackers can't relate to that with the. Golf but you, know tell me about that. Mindset is that something you've had to work up.
Speaker 9: To, YEAH i mean there's been times in my career where it's been like, THAT i think for extended periods and times where it. Hadn't but you, KNOW i think that's mainly the part of the. Game they, say it's between your ears and it's. Right you, know everybody out there can hit the. Shots it's just can you hit it when the time's, right and, uh you know it's. UH i just remember on the sixteenth hole the last, DAY i hit a poor, shot not really a poor, shot but kind of came up short of the, green rolled back in the bunker on the sixteenth, hole AND i was walking up there and just chatting with My caddy that. DAY i was, like we can make. THAT i, MEAN i made.
Speaker 1: It so you said that or he said.
Speaker 9: THAT i said, It and you, KNOW i mean it only gives you a better. Chance i'll sell you. That i'll tell you that for.
Speaker 4: Sure what's the next now that you've gotten this, win what's the schedule look?
Speaker 9: Like, yeah, so you, KNOW i didn't really have a schedule until probably After. AVACO i KNEW i was going to start reshuffling, in you, know to the rest of the Corn ferry. Schedule but now with the, win you, Know i'm exempt all year for, sure and you, KNOW i haven't really dialed it, in you, know past the next few weeks because we're going To argentina And. CHILE i Leave, sunday and then after that we'll be in, state so you, Know i'll play a majority of, them BUT i hope to play The isco here In. Louisville you, KNOW i wish it was still here In, lexington But i'll drive up the, ROAD i.
Speaker 1: Guess but at this point in your, career what does a win do for?
Speaker 9: You, yeah you, KNOW i mean it guarantees me this season and next season on the Corn, ferry and then you, know, obviously top twenty on Corn ferry this year gets me to THE Pga tour for twenty six and you, know right now that's the goal to get back out there and you, know perform better THAN i did last year out, there AND i THINK i can for, sure and you, know try to get get a trophy out.
Speaker 1: There but just, emotionally what does a win do for you at this point in your?
Speaker 9: Life, YEAH i mean it's, relieving you, know takes the pressure off a little. Bit you, know WHEN i went to The, bahamas there was a lot of pressure on my shoulders to perform in those two events or maybe not play the rest of the, year have trouble getting in the. Tournament so you, KNOW i feel Like i'm kind of playing the rest of the year. Free so it's gonna go go have fun and, uh you, know some weeks may not be, great but we're just gonna kind of keep moving.
Speaker 5: Forward like you're playing with house.
Speaker 1: Money.
Speaker 9: Correct, yeah there's another way of saying it for.
Speaker 11: Sure how long has it been since you've had that freeing, Feeling josh.
Speaker 9: Oh, man good. Question, uh you, know in twenty, THIRTEEN i had two really good tournaments ON Pga tour on The West, coast WHICH i knew my card was. Locked and that, YEAR i you, know probably played a lot for a year.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 9: Would have been twenty eighteen maybe WHEN i got my card one time through Corn. Ferry you, know it was fairly later in the, season BUT i KNEW i had, it SO i could just kind of let loose and try to move up to up the. Rankings what does.
Speaker 11: It mean to your your family and your kids to see their dad have this success but have it not come.
Speaker 5: Easy it's a good.
Speaker 9: Question, YEAH i Mean i'm going a, lot AND i know that's tough on, them but you, know hopefully they see that the hard work pays, off and you, know hopefully they can kind of have a little bit of that and then as they go. Forward AND i, mean as we, speak seven year old's playing in his little basketball, tournament so hopefully he gets the win so we can go see. Tomorrow but, YEAH i mean they love, sports And ashley was a great basketball, player SO i think it's in the. House And i'm probably the fourth best athlete in the. House but you, know just hopefully they see the, hardboy you, know pays, off and you, KNOW i think there's lessons to be learned whether you win or we.
Speaker 1: Lose So courst talked with you about, playing and you asked about playing In chile And. Argentina you win In. Panama that's part of the, GRIND i. Know and it's physical and. Mental people think it's, Glamorous but tell me about the, life, though this is what you. Wanted but what's it like now dealing with this?
Speaker 9: Life, YEAH i mean it's it's. Wild you, know you're you're on a. PLANE i, mean you're gone thirty weeks a. Year whether it's the tournaments or to go To florida to try to practice or whatever it may. Be and sometimes they family can go with, you and sometimes they. Can't you, know as they've gotten, older it's tougher because they've got their own. Stuff but, YEAH i mean there's days you wake up and you've got a flight at four thirty or you got to get to the airport at four, thirty and you really don't want to go do, it but, uh you, know you dig deep and you do. It and, uh you know when you're coming, home you, know laid on a red eye or early on A monday, morning whatever it may. Be you, know it's always you, know gratifying to get back to you out.
Speaker 1: THERE i, mean You're caddy can help. You but it ain't a team.
Speaker 9: Sport, yeah you're, Right, yeah it's it all falls on. ME i mean we are a, team BUT i like to take the responsibility when things don't go, well especially Because i'm the one that makes a final call and final decision on What i'm doing or trying to. Hit so, yeah, yeah it's it's been going FOR i guess twenty three years, now and hopefully we can keep going quite a few.
Speaker 1: MORE i can't imagine playing for a doctor pepper on a golf course and here you're out there playing for first, money that kind of. Thing what is it? Like what was it like when the bottom the ball hits the bottom of the cup that last putt that either puts you way up or wins the tournament for, you because none of us can.
Speaker 9: Relate, YEAH i, MEAN i think you, know when you're playing on the cut, LINE i think that's got more nerve wracking than being at the top of the, leaderboard because you're obviously playing well if your the top of the, leaderboard and if you're on that cut, LINE i feel like you're struggling a little bit with your. Game So i've always felt Like i've played a little freer When i've been up there toward the. Top and this, TIME i, MEAN i knew it was a good. ROUND i knew my goal at the beginning of the day was to finish in the top twenty five and SO i could play In, bogatah AND i Knew i'd done, That so you, KNOW i didn't actually everything was. Gravy, YEAH i didn't know THAT i was in the lead UNTIL i signed my scorecard and THEN i, saw you, know a couple holes, Later Johnny keifer tied. ME i THINK i number, twelve AND i just kind of sat back and. WATCHED i had no. CONTROL i wasn't too, nervous wasn't TOO i was pacing or. Anything finally got up and hit some putts when he had a couple holes. Left so, yeah it was it felt. Good i'll, say.
Speaker 11: That is Your spanish ocaja sure better than others you're gonna play.
Speaker 5: In these all These South american, Places.
Speaker 9: Uh not very good at. ALL i don't know O'bla. Espanol just enough to get in. Trouble but there's plenty of you, Know South american players THAT i can kind of lean on and ask IF i need. Something but, uh you, know usually you can Use we've been Using Google translate a lot when we've been down, there so just get. By so a huge.
Speaker 1: Win, obviously any win is. Big but because of his victory picked up one hundred and eighty Grand i also picked up five hundred points in a Corn Ferry tourist points. List uh second now on the list top twenty finishers on that Corn Ferry Tour points, list earning status on the THE pga tour for the twenty twenty six. Seasons so good For, josh a member of The Orange State University Athletic hall Of fame after he led The eagles to AN ovc title in nineteen ninety. Nine good to talk To josh. Up, next we'll talk More kentucky basketball With Halle DEVOR wtvq here on six thirty W welcome back to The Big Moll insider joining us now is a familiar face if you WATCH. Wtvq Halle devare reporter anchor For channel thirty, six and you may see her as well if you watch A kentucky basketball. Game she is one of the, videographers oftentimes on the baseline and you see kids flying out of. Bounds have you been run over?
Speaker 5: Yet this?
Speaker 12: YEAR i was gonna, say you might see my legs in the air after being trampled by A Mary. Williams most horrifying.
Speaker 1: Experience really that.
Speaker 12: Happened, yeah, wow but it's all. Good, HONESTLY i feel like it makes my reflex says a lot.
Speaker 1: Faster, well and of course your boss Is, jeppicoro AND i guarantee you the first thing he would say is the, camera, okay not are You.
Speaker 12: Okay, yeah, right, no, thankfully our cameras are pretty. Small so first thing out of the way is you see the, camera how to protect the.
Speaker 1: Faith what has it been like for you covering This kentucky basketball team because there's so many, storylines starting With pope's. Returning you AND i have talked since he got, back but just the way this season has unfolded with the injuries and yet they keep you, know racking up quad one, wins we're losing games that get away from.
Speaker 12: Them, YEAH i think that's been the most interesting thing is to see, them you, know sweep the series With, tennessee but fall to a team Like arkansas who was one in six coming into that. Matchup SO i think that also just says a lot about the conference this, year and that's been really fun to, watch and it makes me really excited for THE Sec tournament because looking at how it's been this, year you, Know kentucky could bow out in the first. Round they could also go on to win the whole. Thing that's kind of just been the dynamic this year that's made it so fun to.
Speaker 1: Watch, yeah can you imagine a team that would have to win five games in five days against this kind of, competition.
Speaker 12: Right, yeah wait to say that. AGAIN i, mean if.
Speaker 1: You're going to win THE Sec, tournament you're probably gonna have to win well either four games and four days depending on the, buys or five games in five. DAYS i mean that's.
Speaker 7: Brutal it is.
Speaker 12: Brutal and that's the thing with THE sec is not a lot of teams have been able to get those streaks, going except for Maybe. Auburn and that's actually Something kentucky has struggled with the most is putting those wins back to back to, back especially with the injuries that they've been dealing with. Recently so hopefully they can get a couple of those players. BACK i know we heard on the radio show That Lamar butler And Jackson robinson practicing, today so could possibly see them back in the next couple weeks and maybe that would be huge for The. Cats but they've got to learn how to work with this roster if that's what they're going to have at THE Sec.
Speaker 1: Tournament you are a scholarship athlete in college At. NORTHWESTERN i know you are a. Runner it's not quite the, same but.
Speaker 5: You deal with.
Speaker 1: Injuries you, know you got to stay in shape, obviously and if you go, down it's next person. Up but that's not. Easy you, know in your, sport that's one, Thing but in a team, sport it's a little, different isn't.
Speaker 12: It oh, yeah BUT i totally understand that, mentality and it is it does keep there's not really a bench for cross country, necessarily but that you know WHAT i, Mean like on the. Toes like for cross, country for, example you race seven to nine, girls there's twenty four people on your. Roster and since running is such and impact, sport a lot of people go down with chin splints or you, know small stress fractures like. That you can have like nine girls out for a season and you really never know who's going to come up, next so you can't have anybody. Slacking and especially some of these freshmen that have really stepped up this year has been really impressive to watch For.
Speaker 1: Kentucky, yeah it's been kind of. Fun and Watching Travis perry And. TRENDELL i was fortunate enough to see them play against each.
Speaker 12: Other In NO i saw that last. Year, yeah that was. WILD i like even to think about that they played in Rev arena like just last year in high. SCHOOL i, MEAN i just got back from covering a couple of high school Games monday, night and that's it's just weird that that's where they were a year ago and now they're on this huge. Stage and even Though kentucky's battling a lot of, injury you, know they're getting a lot more playing time than maybe they thought they. WOULD i think that in the long run for This kentucky, team that's going to be. Huge and just the dynamic of playing At kentucky is so fun to watch some of these local, kids you, know draining threes and that kind of. THING i think the fans love, it and that also gives the team a lot of momentum down.
Speaker 1: There on the floors. Yard of, Course i'm up in the rafters, now it's where they stick most of the. Media but what has it been like in terms of the, crowd the, energy especially when the team's, Playing, well what's it like down there right in the middle of it?
Speaker 12: All SO i bought your. PLUGS i my ears have taken the bund of. It it is such a fun. Environment And i've been to a lot of college basketball environments and From, oregon So i've been To university Of oregon Games Oregon state went To. Northwestern So i've been in some big ten atmospheres and truly nothing compares to What i've, seen not only A kentucky but in THE. SEC i went to The tennessee game as well here and those environments are just. Loud But kentucky fans have a lot of, energy you, know don't give up till the final, whistle and it's just such a good. Environment it's a lot of.
Speaker 1: Fun talking To Hallie DEVOR, WTVQ i THINK i may have asked you this. Before were you At northwestern when they made a run to THE ncate? Tournament so for?
Speaker 12: Basketball, yeah, yes so they're my last year. There they did make a, run AND i believe they bowed out in the first or second, round and they did for two years in a. Row the last YEAR i was, there they lost TO, UCLA i, believe and you say that was one of the top ranked. Teams But northwestern basketball had struggled for so many. Years we were happy to be.
Speaker 1: There the stories about the kids who have come. In you got a chance to talk to a lot of These kentucky players when they first got, here AND i know we were all standing around during those initial interview sessions wondering How's Mark pope going to do? This you, know and we would ask. It you've shot a lot of the press conferences and people Ask, pope you, know how are you going to pull this team? Together and to his, credit he, said, well the players are going to decide. That and really that's kind of been the way it, is isn't.
Speaker 12: It, yeah they have gelled incredibly. Well BUT i do give a lot of credit to not discrediting the, players and you, know but a lot of credit To Mark pope and just the foundation that he has built with these. KIDS i, mean he was A kentucky man. HIMSELF i think he's done a really good job instilling in these players what that. Means AND i think that's helped carry this team a long. Way and you, know they got on a hot run at the. BEGINNING i think they were in such a good position because with a new team like you don't have anything to, lose so you might as. Well they got off on a hot start AND i think from there they started realizing they were really really strong. Offensively they proved that off the bat defense is where is where they're going to have to keep. Improving, yeah and.
Speaker 1: It really has been kind of a process with. Defense but ALSO i think you, know they had the. APPRECIATION i think we all kind of grasped, that didn't we at the. Beginning they were excited to be, here weren't? They?
Speaker 12: Oh, no totally. Excited every single one of these players wanted to be A Kentucky Wild. KAT i think that makes it so, special especially After john Cala perry. Left you saw a lot of those, players you, know leaving with the, coaches obviously from taking bigger steps in their. Career but to have some of these players come in and want to wear that jersey was really.
Speaker 1: Exciting, yeah and now they're finding Out it was interesting to me BECAUSE i, mean you've been on the. Road i've been on the road to find out what it's like to be an enemy territory wearing A kentucky. Jersey they've all been product players on the, road but never like the big Bad, empire The blue And. White what do you think it's been like for them.
Speaker 12: To learn, That, no that is such a brutal. Environment AND i THINK i really got a glimpse of that at The tennessee. GAME i know that's a rivalry, game but even just as the players were warming. UP i, mean the student section was there full, Early like just The kentucky name and Playing kentucky is any team's biggest game of the, year and you kind of see that in the, audiences even if you're just watching on the. Broadcast these teams want to Be kentucky because they know the name and the history behind.
Speaker 1: It you didn't run into that running cross, country did.
Speaker 8: YOU i did.
Speaker 12: NOT i don't think we had as many. Fans it's probably better for. ME i think if someone was like screaming those things in my, Face i'd probably start.
Speaker 9: Crying do you still.
Speaker 1: Pay attention to The Big ten when you?
Speaker 12: Can WHEN i? CAN i honestly have transitioned a lot of my attention just because of work into THE. Sec BUT i, also you, know keep my attention everywhere BECAUSE i like to keep up with The Oregon ducks as. Well not going to talk about the football, season BUT i like to kind of keep up to date with as much AS i.
Speaker 1: Can, well you came From pac. Ten you're From, portland From pac Ten, country but competed in The Big ten and now The pac ten is no. More somebody grew up in that. Area how did you feel about.
Speaker 12: THAT i have such mixed views on, That like it's so weird to, me LIKE i, said being From oregon and having gone To, northwestern that those schools are playing each other in the same, conference because to, me like that's just they seems so far from each. Other AND i think we've talked about this before a little. Bit for, me just the you, know student athlete aspect of, TRAVEL i can't, imagine like cross, country we didn't travel as much as some of these sports like, basketball, Baseball like that has to impact you. Academically so a lot of props to these players for keeping that on the top of their mind BECAUSE i can't imagine how difficult it. Is and then just in the other, words like not having a conference locally anymore feels. WEIRD i feel like for a lot of people on The West coast That i've talked to, now it just kind of feels like it's being like pulled away from you a little, bit like distance, wise you, know like none of these, games the majority of them aren't like super local. Anymore they just feel farther. AWAY a lot of the games are On Eastern time Or Central time since they're being played in these really far. Locations it just kind of changes the whole dynamic and you kind of feel like you're morphing into somebody else's, conference which you, are but just a weird, feeling AND i don't necessarily agree with, it but you, know ADOPTED I i.
Speaker 1: Guess Halle devor is my guest FROM. Wtv he will come back and talk a little bit more With halle here on the big bloone sider six THIRTY Wlap welcome. Back we're talking To Halle. Devor she is the weekend ANCHOR wdtv channel thirty, six and it covers of course the Basketball, cats the Football, cats and as we, mentioned she competed in cross country At. Northwestern the portal clearly Saved kentucky basketball this year Is Marks Mark. Stoops i'll get to him in a. Minute Mark pope had to reconstruct the. Team Mark stoops has got thirty one new faces at least on his team this year as a former scholarship. ATHLETE i don't know how much this affected. YOU i don't think it did when you were in, school but or if it affects many cross country athletes. Now but freedom of movement for the athletes has always been a real sticking point because coaches get the come and go and of course there are professionals in our under contract and all. That but as a former athlete who's now covering this, craziness what's your take on all this the new cut face of college athletics with players coming and going almost at.
Speaker 12: Will, yeah it is so. Different LIKE i didn't graduate too long. AGO i graduated in twenty twenty, three but it feels like the world of like the transfer portal AND nil is so. Different LIKE nil wasn't really a THING i feel like WHEN i was in. College not that it would have really applied to cross country, necessarily but it didn't really feel like it was a thing for any of my friends who played on the soccer, team women's basketball, team things like. That AND i do remember my freshman, YEAR i had a teammate that was looking to transfer To, michigan Another Big ten, school AND i can't remember the exact, statistics but there was something like you couldn't transfer to a school within your, conference right because you had to wait a year or you couldn't compete for a. Year and he completely changed her mind because she was, like, Well i'm not going to leave and not be able to compete for a, year lose a year of eligibility BECAUSE i don't think you got that back and that withheld your decision and she ended, up you, know remaining on the team and you, know stuck it. Out so it just has changed so much because, now like you, said you can just leave, whenever and it almost feels like a, business which it kind of is becoming in a. Sense but SOMETIMES i feel weird about it BECAUSE i, like you, know loyalty to a program that you chose sometimes and not saying that you know sometimes the grasses and greener that you wouldn't do better under certain coaching and stuff like. THAT i never hold it against people for TRANSFERRING, owl BUT i do just always have respect for players that you, know stick it, Out LIKE i have a lot of respect For Cassidy roil for, example you, know sticking it out on the women's basketball. Team she just loves this program and the fan base is behind. Her LIKE i think that just does a lot FOR bbn as, well or whatever fan base it might, be because they back those athletes a, lot AND i think it just says a lot about somebody that wants to stay loyal to a. Program that they picked. Again there's always extenuating circumstances or situations where you're just not. Happy i've seen a lot of athletes in those types of circumstances as. Well but the majority of it now is just like kind of a. Business especially if you're trying to go. Pro it's oh, yeah you almost like have, to which makes sense because you want to go down that. Route it's just weird because it wasn't like this four years, ago and it might not be like this again in four.
Speaker 1: Years that's a great. POINT i think it's here to, stay BUT i do think there will be more guardrails in, place probably need to. Be but what's also to your point about, Loyalty AND i agree with, you but you're right it's a two sided. Coin but to that, end there are coaches who are free to, leave free to, move but have, said, well this is teaching kids to be quitters or telling him it's okay to be to quit when times get, tough or something like. That nobody's in favor of, that BUT i agree coaches Like Mark stoops has made no bones about the fact that he recruit a kid and the next thing he needs to do is recruit over him because that's how you build depth and improve your. Team well you, know that's how it, works right, yeah.
Speaker 12: Which is just so weird and, that you, KNOW i feel like that was a big thing in The kentucky football. Program we saw you know a lot of kids not happy with the season this year and you know. Leave but it seems like that was something that like you, Said stoops just recruits the next and recruits the. Next and he's kind of talked about that a little, bit but has been very, adapting like he's you, know, understanding like LIKE i, said adapt or, DIE i think he's just kind of, understood you know, what like this is where the business is at. Now we need to do whatever it takes to bring the best player into our, program whether like you, said you recruit over people like you, know that's just what people are doing right. Now AND i don't blame him at all for just you, know turning his shoulder a little bit and taking that.
Speaker 1: Approach you cover a lot of his news conferences On, mondays your work schedule, depending AND i JUST i really, feel Like hallie that he is a guy who just right, now because of the way things are with a portal With nil he can't, Coach he can't really develop his program and keep develop against the way he wanted. To like when he first got, here well before you were, here you, know he, said we're gonna go out and find, players going to recruit, them going to develop, them going to coach them, up that kind of. Thing and now with kids coming and, going when you AND i cover football this come and, fall there are gonna be four new offensive linements starting and a lot of other. Guys, RIGHT i kind of feel bad.
Speaker 12: For, him you know WHAT i, MEAN i totally, agree because that is something he's preached over the, years AND i know that is he you, know builds his program on developing these, players you, know over. Time and you're, right you can't really blame him if he starts to develop a player and then a year later it's cut, short and you, know they go somewhere, else and then they bring in new players they try to develop for a, year and then they leave somewhere. Else it's almost, like you, know people complain about the football, program but he hasn't gotten time to actually finish developing the. Players i'm actually curious if he had a group of people that stuck with it and he was able to, develop to develop, Them like he, said he wanted to what the success of the team or the program might look. Like for, example you know Cutter, bollie if he gives him time throughout his college, Career i'm actually really curious to see how he would develop as a. Player, obviously like we were talking about with the transfer, portal you, know it's hard if you give him another year and then he's out of, here Like stoops can't really do anything but hold his hands up and joke back into the transfer. Portal.
Speaker 1: YEAH i done all with quarterbacks in that, Regard so who. KNOWS i got a couple of minutes LEFTFORE i let you. Go you had a story recently about the rifle team and they have qualified to try to win their way to THE Ncate, championships which will be right here In. Lexington that's kind of, exciting you know what a little hitting. Gym, yeah what did you think of? That that? OPERATION i did a story many years ago about the rifle team and people have no idea what goes?
Speaker 5: On do they?
Speaker 12: No and to be like completely, honest neither DID I, like that's just never a sport That i've paid much attention to or that. Have you, Know i'm not from The. SOUTH i feel like that's a sport a lot of people The south get into its hunting is kind of the vibes THAT i got a little, bit but it is actually so. Cool LIKE i got the opportunity to actually like take a shot on one of the guns and like THE i THINK i was thinking of, Archery like they have this massive. Target it's, like you know anything the way the bulls eye is like you, know an inter or too. Big the thing is the tip of a ballpoint. Pen that's how big the target, is and like it just looks like a quarter at the distance you're standing. Over it is so bizarre and insanely impressive the balance and stability that these athletes. Have and it's just not one of those sports that you would maybe go out and think to watch or look. Up but since it's going to be here In, lexington that Historical Memorial, COLLSEUM i would actually really encourage people to go check it out because this is a really good. Team like this program has four national championships two one in twenty twenty, two one in twenty twenty, Three so a lot of these athletes have you, know played Back caliber, before SO i think it'll be really fun for it to be In. Lexington it was supposed to be here in twenty, twenty it got canceled WITH, COVID i believe after everyone got. Here so it'll be back this year in the Renovated Historical Memorial, coliseum AND i think that'll be a really cool environment for the athletes and also just for the community if they want to check it, out they.
Speaker 1: Can shoot between. Heartbeats that alone tells you something about the precision in this. Sport so, Yeah i'm with. You, yeah it's gonna be. Cool Halle devor you can follow her ON. Wtvq tell people how to follow you On.
Speaker 12: TWITTER i believe My twitter is just my full, Name Halle.
Speaker 1: Devor you believe you don't look at it that.
Speaker 5: MUCH i.
Speaker 1: Don't blame. It thanks so, much and we'll see you at the ball.
Speaker 12: Games see, You thank.
Speaker 1: You that'll do. It thanks to my, Guest Hallie. DeVore thanks To cam. Drumming tomorrow, Night Kentucky. Basketball we'll have a quick show for you before The cats and The. Sooners that's a good night from the garage In. Lexington come with the.
Speaker 5: Album Caley clarkson.
Speaker 13: Tact don.
Speaker 5: Show.
Speaker 13: Anything canning then let taken leg as the tips AND i don't don't don't to theos