Speaker 1: Welcome to Spacing Out with BB and Jason, this week covering Foundation season three episode two, Shadows in the Math.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Spacy Now.
Speaker 3: I'm BB and I'm Jason, and we are discussing the Apple TV sci fi series Foundation, one episode at a time, and we're going to try to do this weekly as season three is airing, So our episode come out on Tuesdays when the show comes out on Thursdays.
Speaker 2: Hooray.
Speaker 3: That might vary depending on where you live, and you might be listening to this on our Foundation podcast, but I invite you to check out our main channel, Spacing Out with Bheb and Jason. We've done a bunch of stuff there. What do we done? Battle Star Galactica, our flag means death.
Speaker 2: A couple of movies like the Star Trek movies and the.
Speaker 3: Star Trek Alien. We're working on some Predator stuff that'll come out after this, So hit us up.
Speaker 2: I feel like sci fi.
Speaker 3: In this episode, Dale and Harry advance their plans on Igness Empire, grapples with an unforeseen prediction in Han Piccher and list help to investigate the Mule.
Speaker 1: Five check. Did we like the episode overall?
Speaker 3: All?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: How are we feeling episode two pretty good.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah this I feel like the season has gotten off to a strong start so far, and I think every storyline is interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, their show is like unlike, it's like I don't even know how to describe it, which is kind of problematic considering this is what we do. But it's like piecing together this like image of a larger picture that's so interesting. It's a tapestry of storytelling that I'm just like, like I want to pull the next string to see what image will unfold next or something. I don't know if that analogy works because you don't want to unravel the Travis Craps three.
Speaker 3: But you know, yeah, like there's early on in this show, there's a lot of times where like I'm confused, I don't understand what's going on, and it's making me angry. That's not the case anymore. Like there's stuff that I'm like, I'm not sure where this is going.
Speaker 2: But I'm coming with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm here for the ride. So with that, let's move into trivia trivia time.
Speaker 1: What facts or news could we uncover for Shadows in the Math?
Speaker 3: This is Foundation Season three, Episode two, Shadows in the Map. It's originally premiered on July eighteenth, twenty twenty five, written by lay Dana Jackson and Caitlyn Parrish and directed by Tim Southend. And Tim Southend is a Canadian television and film director, so he has lots of Canadian films and documentaries on his resume, as well as some international series such as Bones House, Darryl Dixon, Lost in Space, and Lock and Key. And for the writers, I've talked about lay Dana Jackson before, but Caitlin Parish is a new name for so. She's an American screenwriter and playwright and appears to be more active in the theater landscape and for television. Has written for Emily Owens, MD, Under the Dome and Supergirl, and also directed a film adaptation of her first play, The View from Tall And That's all I have for Trivia. I was trying to dig and see if there's any news coming out really, but not so much. There's just kind of various people talking about what they think about the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like us, great, we are many in our ranks.
Speaker 3: So now we will recap all the other reviewers.
Speaker 1: Now, deep Space Dive, Let's break down some of our thoughts on the episode. You can share your thoughts with us through email or social media. We may use your comments on an upcoming episode, as we've predicted.
Speaker 3: Last time, we got caught up with Gail and Harry traveling through time. Basically they're trying to you know, speed ramp through this hold preparing the Second Foundation, and even one time, Gale just comes out ands like our religious era is over. Yeah, I didn't know you could just claim that.
Speaker 2: You would think that that would happen organically.
Speaker 3: He's like, hey, you know, you guys, you don't have religion anymore.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I don't think people would take that very well.
Speaker 3: But then they realized that they're not. They need to be on the ground more, not in their tanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it looks like Harry has been spending most of his time making statues. What.
Speaker 3: Well. It's weird because like at the end of last season, it was like the plan, the initial plan was for Gail to get in the tank and come back, you know, once a year, and Harry was gonna live out his life mm hmm, and made a big point of like, no, Harry's coming with her. And now they're like, actually undo that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm never mind.
Speaker 3: That's the one part that felt a little messy.
Speaker 2: And then what happened to his tank? What did they do with it? Like why would they get rid of it?
Speaker 3: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: That's like, I don't know. I'm kind of like a little bit of a hoarder, and I feel like I would save it. I like, I don't know, maybe I'll need it. What if the first one breaks I need parts for the other one or something.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe they moved it to a safer spot. Where is that one? Other one's just like out there in the elements, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was raining on one of them when she came in and that guy who was signing, I'd like that she learned how to sign really quickly, like almost too quickly, Like yeah, I feel like it takes years of study for different language, but galed it in a couple of days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was there was no barrier for her. Yeah. So yeah, so Harry selling ages And do you think we're gonna see that character again that.
Speaker 2: Version of we have to Well maybe not that version, but that actor's locked in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well because we have the one from the vault that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just but I don't know what he's gonna do with that lady. That lady with like intergalactic transport abilities. She's the one who gave him life too, So how did she get there? How did he like see her again? Have so many questions about their relationship and who she is, and.
Speaker 3: I feel like the show is acknowledging that there's still questions there. So it makes me feel like that there's gonna be some answers for that somewhere along the way.
Speaker 2: Hopefully, right. It sucks that he just kind of left Gail hanging though. Yeah, she's smart though. I feel like she's gonna they're gonna work on something together. It's crazy that she's talking to Empire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's that's the reveal at the end. But there's some sort of dialogue there, yeah, And I mean we can only speculate, like what that dynamic is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like their spy too. What was his name? The guy who went to those rich people's house and is like, invite me to your party?
Speaker 3: Oh, Han Precher, Pretcher?
Speaker 2: Why does that sound familiar? Pretcher? I don't know, huh, But I like that. It's like they're everywhere they're spies or whatever. I like that they don't spend their whole time on the planet learning whatever they're doing over there.
Speaker 3: Well, he's from.
Speaker 2: The Second Foundation.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, he's from the First Foundation.
Speaker 2: No, he's from the first second Foundation because he controls he has mind control powers. Right. I thought he was from the Second Foundation.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, because he was dealing with the traders and stuff last time. That's all First Foundation stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh that was him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought he was using mind control so that their cameras couldn't work in that room.
Speaker 3: No, I think that was technology doing that.
Speaker 2: Oh that was a very okay.
Speaker 3: But yeah, So we have influencers in the world now.
Speaker 2: I like it. I like it a lot. I think influencers are a sign that a society is in decline. Yeah. I think it's painting a picture for sure. And the juxtaposition. I like the the way that the guy came in and he's like, you're too rich to worry about conflict and war.
Speaker 3: God, yeah, that was always happening in a couple of streets over.
Speaker 2: Right to those other people. That's fucking real, dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I like how he called that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, your your wealth protects.
Speaker 3: You know, they're or the guy is hober Mallow's descended.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's just like, damn, you've fallen far from that tree, not too far. But I think, uh, I don't think they would like that. Yeah, I don't think Hobo Mellow and uh what was her name, Constance?
Speaker 3: Yes, Constant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think they would like where their bloodline is going where they don't even want to move their pillows and stuff, or they don't want to move their chairs over because a war machine is shading their sun or whatever, like how fucked up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but so I think I got confuse are times about like what they're their whole deal like, because that was like a bit right because they were recording that.
Speaker 2: They were recording everything like, but yeah, I don't know. They just got in the house then.
Speaker 3: Because after that guy like agreed to like help them move their stuff, it was like, oh, I see your recording.
Speaker 2: I don't care. Just there. They seem silly, like silly people. I don't know what their role is going to be. It's going to be interesting to see them in the same room as the mule. He's so terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're going to a party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think there'll be another pig there. They had that pig at that table where he walked in.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there'll be lots and lots of food and decadence.
Speaker 2: That was scary though, with uh that demonstration he did with the little girl. Yeah, I didn't get why that lady said three. Was she trying to what was she trying to do?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think she just like broke.
Speaker 2: Why would she say three?
Speaker 3: I mean she said it is kind of like a gasp, she.
Speaker 2: Wanted the little girl to die. For a minute, I was like, what the fuck? I don't like her either, but it was interesting that, like she was depicted in that image and with her father in the hall or whatever, in that space that they were in. So that kind of it paints the picture that she was very valued in the public eye and to her father.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and very close with their father. So now she's got full devotion to the mule's kind of demonstrating how much power he. Yes, yeah, it's very she should you hate him? Oh yeah no, but she's like more than anything. I'd love to do that. But it's interesting that there are his powers not unlimited, like it takes a lot of efforts. So that's why he's not just taking over everything immediately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do like that he's not always capable of it, because that's scarier if he was like all powerful. So that means that there was probably moments of recovery after he did that whole bit with planes and the people shooting themselves at each other. I'm very interested to see how he's going to rule and how. I don't know. It just seems like fear is such a primitive like instinct and emotion that I think it's like, I don't know if that's what I would choose to rule with fear, right, because that if you're afraid, that means you can be afraid of something else more than you're afraid of me. Potentially, so your allegiance to me because you're afraid of me could falter, and it's very weak because of your fear. I always feel like the military had the right idea when they were trying to win the hearts and minds, right, I think that's more that's a harder strategy, but I think it's like stronger in terms of like having people be on your side.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: People would rather they would lay their lives down if they love you, whereas they might run away from something if if they fear you. So I don't know. I'm very interested to see how this pens out.
Speaker 3: But you know, if the fear you falters for any individual, he can step in and control them basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but at the cost of his like himself in some ways. So I don't know. I'm just very interested to see. And like in the flashbacks with Gail, he's like, where is the Second Foundation? Why does he want the Second Foundation? Like what is There's something there that he wants and it might be the people who have those abilities or something. Yeah. Yeah, I feel like maybe that's why Gail and them and the Second Foundation, we're seeking out people like that, the people with abilities, because maybe they could like raise them to not become the mule.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe, I don't know, that's what I would try to do. Yeah, I'm just thinking, like, because all those people were brought there before you know, Gaale got there, did they continue seeking those people out? Yeah?
Speaker 2: They said that. She said that when they were panning over the island, that they continued their search and that they had their people Spye and they had like people with eyes everywhere within the Foundation and the Empire and now I'm just like, was it the mule taking over the planet that broke the timeline or was it Gail talking to Empire?
Speaker 3: Possibly?
Speaker 2: Right, like what is it? What is because it could very well be that her relationship with Empire is what's causing like a fracture in the timeline. So it's very interesting. I'm very interested to see this kind of unfold. And then old guy with the black hole killer thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so me, the most interesting part of the episode was all the Empire stuff and so yeah, apparently they've built a death star. But I find the Brother Dusk it's just interesting that they they're doing something different with the the Empire characters a season, Like they're not just repeating the same characters. You know, Brother Day is very disillusioned with everything. Basically, Yeah, Brother Dusk doesn't want to die and is you know fighting, Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's fighting to live. He's like asking drumasel, come on, girl, let me be here, and she's like, I am a clock and your time is a what a cold bitch. But so the old guy's mad at her because he's dying, and then the middle guy's mad at her because she's a real butt. He's like, you're more hollow on the inside than I thought, what a I don't know, she's not winning anything, and now little Homeboy is like stabbing her in the back by talking to the Foundation, having appointments with Gail. Crazy and no wonder he's worried about the mule because Gail warned him about the mule.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, and then the Foundation ambassador is like, Empire always knows so much more than we do. Yeah, she just finished confirming that the mule took over that planet. He's like, yo, that was the last episode we've moved on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like in power. Now he's got mental abilities. Did you know that? Oh that poor lady. I feel bad, like, but you know what I feel like, that's how it happens when you're when you have less power, and in any room, you're gonna know less information because knowledge is power. And that's like a really I think that's really interesting to drive that home every episode that they show her like the Foundation is falling behind on their reconnaissance and their intel. So I don't know, I feel like we haven't seen the Foundation in a while too.
Speaker 3: I mean we saw him last episode, yeah, with all the Traders and other mallow guy on the bikes.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. And then we saw that one guy that infiltrated Harry Selden's obelisk.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I wish we had more of him.
Speaker 2: I know, he was great.
Speaker 3: They're continuing to kind of play on this idea of what happens to Demursel. It's the empires no more, right, and I like that they're talking about like, you know, the road would open up for you, right.
Speaker 2: They clipped her wings, but she might still be able to fly. Yeah, she's free.
Speaker 3: Of them, so I'm like, open that road for her. See where she goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would be sad to see the empire die though. It's so interesting that idea of like a genetic line.
Speaker 3: And then brother Day is doing lots of drugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and gambling. He just lost the sugar bowl. I need to buy a sugar bowl. That just reminded me. That's a really nice too. It comes with a spoon.
Speaker 3: It looked like and I assumed his little compound was somewhere in the like the palace grounds, because they don't usually leave there. But the gambling I think would seut in the city somewhere.
Speaker 2: No, I think it was. I think it was probably like their breakroom.
Speaker 3: Those are all palace people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are all palace guards and people like that. They know him. Yeah, they know the palace things too, like they recognize shit from the palace and they're like, hey, they And they also talked about, like, you know, Dramasol, like they knew her, like, oh did Dramasol? Let you take that? So I think they know like that. I think it's like their breakroom, like they have like an area where they chill and because he doesn't care about rules, he just goes in there and gambles with them. Because I feel like if you worked for Empire like that, you know, with your brain getting wiped every weekend, you'd have to live there. Yeah, like sure the four oh one K and benefits are great, but I can't remember last time I was able to like take shit peacefully or something. I don't know. And it's interesting that they know stuff, but like they're not aware of everything. Maybe I don't know. It's I'm interested about like their depth of knowledge that they carry from day to day because I remember when the Cloud Princess was interrogating them and wiping their brains and shit, like they knew stuff. But I think it seems like mostly it's the courtisans that get brainwiped more often than anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm curious about the one that's living with day Song because they keep including here a lot.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, she thinks and she's involved in very like deep state secret conversations with Day Like he's like, oh, well, we know the knowledge of the universe, we know how to tell the future kind of shit. Yeah, like she knows things. And honestly, like I feel like mistresses and and and courtissans and and partners and the people who share a bed with rulers are privy to a lot of like state secrets just as like kind of like a job hazard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and brother Dusk last episode made a point to be like six months is long enough? Need to memory? Why not? Oh sorry, And they included that in the recap for this episode just so this makes me think, like it's meaningful that, Yeah, he's knowing all this stuff, what's going on days? Carrying that ferret around you?
Speaker 2: He takes it with him. And then they made a point for when Dusk came to visit that he stared at the ferret again. Yeah, so the ferret's getting a lot of airtime.
Speaker 3: I was just watching a l night show where Lee Pace, who plays brother Day, was on it and they were showing photos of the ferrets. I'm like, oh, I guess this ferret's going to be around for more of the episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get a lot of airtime. I'm telling you. I like this is off topic, but I like that marriage is no longer like a thing. Yeah, what is everybody doing? Do you think it's like polyamory or like voluntary celibacy where you take like an a Welcome to the Monkey House where you take a pill and it just makes you numb from the waist down, or nineteen eighty four like where it's just like nothing's happening.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know about that, but I feel like all options are on the table, Like you can be monogamous or polyamorous or not amorous at all. But I don't know, there's not like a legal status of marriage or have to dig into how the law would work with all their parenting rights and stuff. Yeah, and I'm sure first across the galaxy too, they talk about thousands of worlds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the Pleasure Planet marriage thing, which.
Speaker 3: I give of course. Yeah, like all marriages are void when you get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like that Love Island or that Perfect Match or some reality TV show bullshit.
Speaker 3: You know, any other thoughts, feelings, proclamations about this episode.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Then it is time to choose who is a standout character in the episode?
Speaker 1: Astral Queen? Who was the standout character in the episode?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, I don't know who are you going to pick?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to think. I mean, it's not like there is any big incidents going on or anything.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I was really happy to see Gaile again because I missed her last time, but I don't like things just kind of happened to her, and for the end where she's contacting Empire, but I don't know what that's about. The Merza wasn't doing much and this was getting talked about more than doing anything. Brother Day was having fun, Brother Dusk was interesting but kind of evil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then that guy that was with him, He's like, I'm gonna be known as the guy who gave you. Why would you be happy about that?
Speaker 3: Weirdo? And Harry Selden, you know he's bailed on Gail. I don't know, so I think I want to use other day for raising that ferret and living life.
Speaker 2: Living life.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna Pickture.
Speaker 2: Oh that nerd Oh. He did have a good He was the most quotable of the of the episode. I did like his quote where he's like speaking truth to power. Yeah, I'm gonna go with him, even though he was like in it for like a second, but that's a good one. Yeah. Yeah, hopefully I'm really excited about their sting operation too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I say, hopefully we see their party next episode. Yeah. All right, well that is our astro queens then, so I don't think I have anything for the spoiler sections. I will be the end of the podcast for today the next episode only, Season three, episode three. When a book finds you, you read.
Speaker 2: It, maybe I'll listen to the audio book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Zode, thank you for spacing out with us. And what's a good quote from the episode.
Speaker 2: I don't have a list of quotes, otherwise I'd give you the one from my astro queen. I do miss, I do miss the classic.
Speaker 3: Quote respect and enjoy the piece.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't heard that one in a while because they've lost their respect and they don't got no peace.
Speaker 1: Thank you for spacing out with BB and Jason. You can help us out by subscribing and leaving a positive rating or review. Remember, you can contact us through email or social media. Next time, we will cover Foundation season three, Episode three, A Book finds You. We hope you will join us