Speaker 1: The weather in England will soon start to be colder. John once again became another year older who left c with the shock of the round. The Giants announce that they're moving ground. Wigan were good and played like a top biller, but Leeds piped Wakey in a Bellvue thriller. Welcome to the thirty second episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league, but we have a few other things, including a little bit of an RL as well. My name is Lee Addison.
Speaker 2: My name is John Davidson. Wake up John.
Speaker 1: I'm in Australia. John John a journo in the UK. You may have heard him on sen Radio if you listen to that on a Monday morning in Australia, but please read the description or listen to old pods for full details about us. If you are listening on the Ashes Rugby League podcast platform, please switch old to Super League three sixty or Rugby League Coach podcast platforms. John, You'll have to talk for a minute because my computers doing a bit of freezing, so.
Speaker 2: I can talk.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm just trying to g up the some really good questions and listener food back this week. But is been that much happened since we last recording, Yeah, particularly even in the last forty eight hours. That Yeah, we might be a three hour part. Hopefully it might't because we've put some people to sleep, but there's a lot. You can also watch this on the Rugby League YouTube channel and also listen to us on Rugby League dot com.
Speaker 1: Uh, where do we start? Where do we start? Saint Helens and Hull Left C played on Thursday. Hull hadn't won a game for two months and they'd lost seven on the bounce, but they managed to roll a Saint Helen's in this game. I'll go through the scorers and the score first. This now means Saint Helens have lost six of the last seven and then I think we've got plenty to one pack, haven't we when it comes to Saint Helen's in particular. So Saint Helen's eighteen Hull FC thirty two Saint Helens tries from Murphy, Wellsby and Robertson and three goals from Hasting. Hull f c's thirty two three from Baron hat trick for Baron. Martin scored a try, cust and Bell also scored, and Hardacre scored four goals and Baron's first senior Hatrick means things are pretty barren in Saint Helen's and I think it's their first win in a long long time in Saint Helen's. John sold plenty to one pack there. Yeah, I mean, god, this the whole court of evening. I mean, there was probably a bit of good news in there.
Speaker 3: When I'm in McManus announced that Sint Helen's are going to play I'll c in Dublin on the Sunday twenty four hours after or just over twenty four hours after, we're going to Warrant announce their game, which we're going to talk about. But even that announcement, like you just announced it on Sky, why would you not pair up We we're going to Warranton and do a proper media event, promoted properly. I mean even that, I mean that interview, the mcmanuson interview, I don't think on Sky really revealed anything of NOE. There wasn't much depth to it. And then the performance of the team. They're in it for a bit and then they just completely fell away. And you know, hullof c have had a terrible year. They've been very poor all this game, but they really deserve that win. And Saint Helen's is just it was embarrassing, you know, the crowd size as well. I don't know what the figure was, but there was empty sways around the brew Dog and everything about Saint Helen's. I mean, we've we've I've written about it, We've talked about it in quite a few pods.
Speaker 2: Now it's just a club in a big, big hole. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: The chairman made some comments last week too. Would you like to tell us about what well summarized I suppose what he said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean he obviously they didn't make any comment after the initial released that Paul Rollie was stepping down even though they'd sacked him.
Speaker 2: But there wasn't. We didn't really have any much clarity after that.
Speaker 3: Interview either, I don't think really, you know, it wasn't particularly engaging interview. There was just a lot of you know, a lot of spin and a lot of nonsense said.
Speaker 2: You know, there wasn't.
Speaker 3: I don't think he was particularly well, you know, put to it was all sort of friendly. But the fact is, you know McManus is the one making the key decisions now as the chairman and has been for a long long time. And you know, I think I think Brian Carney mentioned and this was a really good point. He said that Nick Manus had said or written previously that twenty four and twenty five of the worst seasons that you know, in his twenty six years, or I think he took over in two thousand, So this year's got to be even worse. So it's basically all gone downhill. And why is that the case? I mean, I've just broken a story an hour or two ago that they're going to shop their named Donald around.
Speaker 2: So he's another player contracted for next year.
Speaker 3: So it just goes to show how bad the recruitment and how bad the decision making has been at that club that they're trying to move on a lot of the players who are contracted, so they're going to have to pay them out.
Speaker 2: It's going to cost him a lot of money. And yeah, it's just.
Speaker 1: Well everything you're saying there, it's not been a overnight sensation that they've been going backwards. It's been there for a while and there's some institutionally flawed things there in terms of yeah, Saint Helen's standards overall, in particularly in the Super League era. I mean, I think we do have to put it in some context. I would teams like Castleford and Hull would love to have Saint Helen's problems right now. But the fact of the matter is for Saint Helen's and Saint helens fans this is this is a really poor period.
Speaker 2: You did mention.
Speaker 1: Games traveling overseas, so there's been announcements of games in Dublin and also you mentioned something about a Manchester event. Let's talk about roles. I know Wigan Wigan were the first to announce, but because we're on Saint Helens and Hull left C and they're playing each other over there, thought this will be a good time to talk about this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Warrington and Wigan held event at an Irish bar in Manchester, which I think is situated in what was the Island or what was you know, an area where many Irish migrants came many many years ago. I mean, we all knew that we're going to play in Dublin in twenty seven. I think I actually broke the story in the ipaper last year, but it's taken them a long while to now down the date where they.
Speaker 2: Could do it.
Speaker 3: So April twenty four, on the Saturday, they're going to play at the I think it's called the Layer Arena, which is the home ground of Leinster Rugby Union Club. Capacity about twenty thousand, and it is the first ever Super League game in Ireland. So you know, I think it's a great idea. I'm a big, big supporter of the venture.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think Wigan and Warrington have kind of been flag bearers standard barrs for this, you know, playing games in Paris and Barcelona and Vegas.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so I went to the event. There was a well done event.
Speaker 3: You know, you've got to kind of do these things if you want to break out of the bubble and get publicity from different sources and make an impact.
Speaker 2: And I thought they did that really well.
Speaker 3: But we all kind of knew that there was talks about another game on that weekend and I think Hull, See and Wakefield had been reported as interested, but there was no announcement.
Speaker 2: There's no joined up thinking. And then it was twenty four.
Speaker 3: You know, when a lot of people, most of me, had already booked their flights that there will be a game on the Sunday between So I think not to be negative, but it's just kind of a sign that can't we, you know, work together and you know, have a strategy, have a national coordinator or a central strategy to do these things as one.
Speaker 1: Strategy is the key word. Let's let's unpack it, let's critically analyze it a little bit. You said during your discussion of it there you think it's a good idea and a breakout moment, et cetera. Just maybe in the last five years, just give us a little summary, how many games have been played overseas, how many Super League games have been played overseas, with the exception of Cattle Amazon to lose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say, yeah, with the exception of France.
Speaker 3: Well, obviously Vegas this year, whole current Leeds Paris, we're going to play Catlands in Paris. The year before we're going to Warrant and played in Vegas. I think it was twenty nineteen. We can played excuse me, Catlands at the New Camp before that, I I've seen we can took games to to a game to Wollongong and each played a game in Sydney against the Nant er old team, which I think, off the top of my head, I'm going to say that was twenty seventeen. Yeah, yeah, it seems like a million years ago. But the idea, and I'll just explain quickly, I think it's a good idea because I don't think, particularly the situation the rugby leagues in it needs to get new fans, it needs to get younger fans, and it needs to get fans for each over. And I think in Ireland they love their sport. There is a latent support. I think there are some rugby league fans, but there are sports fans who may be attracted to this game. They may watch it. I think it's not an expensive, you know trip, although Dublin's not the cheapest city, but it's close to these places so it's not hard to get to. It's not Vegas, it's not Australia, and I think it's doing something different.
Speaker 2: You know, other sports do it.
Speaker 3: Rugula league does it as well, and you know, I think it's Yeah, I think it can be a positive if it's done right, if it's done well and you know, marketing properly.
Speaker 1: I do have concerns about our fans who, particularly if you're a fan of a club such as a Wigan or I was going to say Saint Helen's them, but leads or someone okay, are right now you're constantly depending in your pocket for yes for these trips. One of the reasons we are told the Challenge Cup isn't working from people who are trying to analyze why that crowd has dwindled over the years is that there's too many big events. So to add another give me some concern. Secondly, when did we go to Barcelona? Was it twenty nineteen? Did you say how much bigger is the game in that region since we went there? How many more fans are tuning into the Super League in the NRL Vegas, how many more fans are tuning in in America? And we've been going there for four years now, and what is the uptake of rugby league since then?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: I know that the comeback there is we've got to start somewhere. Yes, Well, one thing we've done too much of in rugby league is start somewhere and then move on from it. And I would already argue we've done that in Barcelona only a matter of seven years ago. The other thing is you mentioned new fans. There's places a lot closer to Wigan who left C Saint Helen's and Warrington where we can get new fans as well.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm split in the sense that yes, I'd love to see a rugby league game in Dublin, but I also really want to see a strategy in Dublin as well, so make sure that game is bigger in Ireland in ten years time, twenty years time. And that's a difference between tactics and strategy. Tactics are short term ways of getting towards your strategy. This is smacking to me of all tactics and no strategy. At least Vegas is a strategy. It's to try it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Whether that strategy is working or not is a completely different issue. And there's enough to suggest that PVL and the NRL am getting everything that they want from the original plan and they've actually pivoted on what the goal is. What Vegas has turned into is it completely dominates the Australian media landscape. That does so sometimes sometimes you know, it was like when I initially started my rugby league coach business, I didn't think I'd been doing podcasts on the Super League and things like that, so you do pivot. So I want to know what the strategy is. And I'm not necessarily asking John Davidson. I'm asking the Rugby League fraternity. I'm asking the Irish diaspora. What is the strategy?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean I think I think the strategy for wiging to Warranton is different to what the strategy for lack of strategy is for the RFL or Super League.
Speaker 2: I've got no.
Speaker 3: You know, false ideas that this is part of a coordinator strategy and we're going to have games in Ireland for the next ten years. But having been to Vegas and having been to Barcelona, I can see that, you know, the impact is has on the fans who go, who have a fantastic time, who energized about their sport, about their community, about their club. You know, I went to Vegae somewhat maybe skeptical or before the first round, before the first year. I went in the second year watching it on TV, but it looked and sounded great on the box. And having gone to Vegas, it is just a remarkable thing to be there with all these Rugby League fans in Vegas. Passing stevens on the strip and you playing in an amazing stadium. So and as you mentioned about dominating the media, which it does in Australia, it basically knocks all the other sports off. So I think that Vegas does supercharge the sport in the NRL. And I think these ventures in well just one in Dublin obviously not only does it grab headlines and grub publicity, I think it's a you know, it's a greater way day for the fans of those clubs, but also I don't think it'll be ten thousand Warranton fans and ten thousand Wiggan fans.
Speaker 2: I think that might be four or five thousand or.
Speaker 3: More Irish fans at the game or people interested who are going to have a look. And I know they've already used Danny Farrell, who's obviously, you know, an English ruguy League legend or Wigan legend, and who's the head coach of the Island national team. Is you know, a massive figure rugby union. They already used him to promote the game, and yeah, I'm sure his employers are happy about that. Well, look, he's a wiganer, isn't he. Isn't he a friend of isn't he a friend of yours, lou.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know him. Yeah, I'm not talking to him. You work with him, Yeah, you worked with him.
Speaker 2: He's a wiginner at heart and I don't think that that changes.
Speaker 1: As a Rugby League tweet of the week was from Carlos Alberto. I don't think it's the Carlos Alberto because his tweeting handle is with zero's where the o's should be. And he said, and this is a nice segue, Ryan Carter Saints with a question mark, nice calm environment doing wonders and of course he is referring to the Cattleford coach. So there's a situation. And there they played.
Speaker 2: Whole k Ar.
Speaker 1: We'll go through the scorer first, and I think this is indicative of the week. The matches are almost a side show to some of the things that's gone on. It was a win that took whole KR to fourth Castleford nil u k R forty four. Two tries from Davis, two tries from may Lytton at Burgess, Hickham and Martin were on the score sheet. Martin kicked five goals and I think he was so tired of kicking goals he gave the kicking duty to Hampshire to knock over another that six second half tries that they scored and their whole kr are up to fourth and they've of course got to play Warrington at some point in this coming century. Now Tuesday, is it Tuesday? Is it in Dublin something?
Speaker 2: No, it might not be. I don't think it's this ESDA. I think it's Tuesday. After we'll check the fixtures at the end.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's have another forty minute podcast segment.
Speaker 2: Ryan Carr.
Speaker 1: This broke not long after released last week's podcast, and it's still not been sorted and nobody still knows. Sorry, still nobody knows the real situation. Although there's plenty of speculation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's plenty of rumor. There's plenty of speculation, plenty of gossip. The whole thing's quite bizarre. Obviously, it's been a pretty terrible season for Cat and you've seen Ryan Carr get increasingly.
Speaker 2: Angry with pretty much each game, each presser.
Speaker 3: He's not hid his feelings about his players, or some of his players.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 3: We had the Leeds game a couple of weeks ago where he could be heard yelling fucking cheat, which was picked up by the sky cameras, which the RFL went to cast, but the please explain. Then came the game against Warrington where there's been allegations about a spray at halftime, and then soon after obviously there was a report that he'd been stood down pending in investigation, and then a couple of days later Cass decided to put out a statement which said stepping well, step aside for personal reason.
Speaker 2: So we don't really know what the truth is.
Speaker 3: I've contacted a lot of people and no one seems to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's very.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm not gonna I'm not going to share any of the rumors out there, but yeah, there's there's varying tales.
Speaker 2: I I might summarize the rumors.
Speaker 1: Sure, there's a bit of a spiky character and may have said some choice things to players at some point, may have even it may have even gone further than that with a staff member. So yes, I must stress somebody this is all that's all speculation, And obviously there's some legal thing, legal implications if they're trying to move him on or something like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well, I think the question for you, Lee is being a coach.
Speaker 3: Many times, I'm particularly with I guess the modern player, how many times you know, and say, a twenty seven game season, how many times can you spray them or you know, go off your brain give them the hair dryer, so to speak, in a season?
Speaker 2: Can you do that once? Can you do that twice? Can you do that three times?
Speaker 1: Like is look, if you'd have to switch off? If you have asked me five years ago, I would have come up with the trope. You know, yeah, you've got to save your spray this, that and the other.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: Most of the people who who say these things in media environments coached in the eighties and the nineties and then and then and then talk about that. I actually think you're modern player. You can be firm and you can give boundaries, but what you can't be is disrespectful. And we're talking to the most educated and opinionated. If you like playing group in world rugby league history, so many of them will have knowledge about what's right and wrong in what is essentially a workplace in professional rugby league.
Speaker 2: Okay, and.
Speaker 1: It just won't wash anymore if you are going off your brain, if you're absolutely losing your mind and questioning everybody's everything. But that said, if you are genuinely angry, there's no problem. I think it crosses the boundary when and I'm not say justin Ryan Carr has done this at all, But when anger turns into disrespect, anger turns into abuse, anger turns into aggression, that's when it becomes a problem. My big issue with this is obviously something's not right at Castleford. Yeah, this is a matter of months since Ryan Carr got the job. If it is alleged or proven that Ryan Carr was not the person they thought, he was not of sound character for the Castleford organization or sound enough character for the organization, what research did they do on this person prior to appointing him, or did they take the path of least resistance? Listen to agents, go with the agents giving them the best offer and the best pitch, which is probably closer to the mark. And there's something to be said when clubs churn through coaches, or when clubs have problems with coaches continually.
Speaker 2: And it's the.
Speaker 1: Same at Saint Helen's right now, and it's the same at all LEFC right now. At some point you've got to look at the recruiters.
Speaker 3: Well, it's interesting you mentioned that because Chris Chester, who's the director of rugby and sort of as one of the people have taken over the coaching duties. In the moment, he did depressed and he admitted he'd got some of the recruiting decisions are on.
Speaker 2: But I think for me, I mean, the whole I think a way castle.
Speaker 3: Handle it, you know, not really telling their fans and not really providing much clarity hasn't been great. But the question now for me is can he stay on in this job, like after what's happened, after you know, the kind of the whole the public perception out there, and there seems to be I think, I think I read online. I didn't watch a game on Friday because I was watching the Leeds Wakefield game and it was on at the same time. But there was people fans changing Brian Carr's name, So there is some support there and on the fan base for him. But he signed a lot of players, a lot from the Dragons, his old club, So you know what I mean, where does that stand in terms of those players that wanting to come to cast Is his position now there untenable? It's just it's just a real mess because it's been such a weird season for Casts. They've beaten Wigan, they've beaten Leeds and then they've you know, they've I think Warrington been by eighty, didn't they or put eighty on them and they've just been absolutely rubbish, you know, four times out of five. But they've been able to pull out some great performances as well. So it's a really just bizarre season that.
Speaker 1: They've had struble to see how this job is tenable for Ryan Carr now because it's not. It's not as if it's not not as if the statement of him being stepped down due to personal reasons was full of love from Castle For directors, it was, you know, we hope Ryan gets There was nothing like we hope Ryan gets through this issue or anything like that and we support him in his journey. There was no there was no love shown at all. So they're obviously in damage control. And again a little bit like the Saint Helen's situation in particular, and when you don't put out a lot of information it allows people to speculate.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think these situations, the way they stay in a club chandle is it's kind of rare and missing over how backward they are. They still think it's the nineteen eighties. They don't act like a sports club in the twenty first century. You know, you've got to you've got to treat your fans with a bit more respect and a bit more accountability and transparency.
Speaker 1: I was at Super League. I was in Super League and wiggan and sulted in the era of progressive media management. Now, we we were taught to be the total opposite. And some of this was coming from head office or the head offices of Super League and Rugby Football League two and I must I must emphasize that the super League head office seemed a lot more with it than the Rugby Football League. We were encouraged to be proactive with the media, to drive the media narrative, not to sit there and wait for it to happen or go into damage control.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a lot of that has changed because of the Internet and now because clubs create their own content and they want to interview their own players and provide exclusives, exclusive interview with their own player, So they don't they limit access and they limit their engagements with the media when they should be the complete opposite. They should be operating, you know, like boxing and trying to create interests, create engagement, sell stories, and you know, build their players up.
Speaker 2: But they don't. They don't do that.
Speaker 1: Lee twenty two job Benison of York fourteen because he's the only person who scored for them. Lee's twenty two came from Charlie Off and Gwie bad Rock and Armstrong and Cook kicked three goals. York's fourteen came from John Benison, who's scored a hat trick and kicked a goal. Was he playing them on his own?
Speaker 2: John? We'll watching the highlights of this. It was.
Speaker 3: It was quite a close game. You're coming right back into it late. But yeah, Luckie Lamp set up quite a few tries. Another good win for Lee. But yeah, I think York were certainly not embarrassed. They were they were riding it. They are important victory for Lee when we're looking at this, this mash of app of playoffs and I think, you know, with the form whole and Lee and the former son alnds and I mean we said this, I said this last week. I can't see sin Alans make the six now that basically need to win every game, which I think they've got a buggerol chance of happening and then rely on some of the others to lose games. So yeah, important two points for fully well.
Speaker 1: Saint Helens could only dream of the form Lee and York have shown lately. Lee have won six of the last seven and York have got a four and three record, so they've won four and lost three of their last seven, so they're doing okay. Now, the game I'm really keen to talk about is Wakefield and Leeds. Before this weekend, Weggy had won their last seven and Leeds have now won nine of their last ten and hammered most of the sides that they've played. They've been in real good for Wakefield played Leads on Friday night in what was commonly referred to as match of the Round, that almost match of the season. Wakefield twenty two Leeds twenty four tries for Wakefield a hamling U, La Myers and Simfield who also kick three goals. Leads try some craft, McDonald, smith and Hankinson of four goals to Connor. Late drama too and they are now well ahead. They're four points ahead, or there were four points ahead, I should say. After the game tell us about it, John, Yeah, this was fantastic attainment really really enjoyed this game. I think, you know, probably one of the games of the season. Wakefield sell out there started like a house on file, raced ahead Jackson Field was really impressive for them and then Leeds came back, but it looked like Wakefield were going to hold on and then it was you know, I think it was a try from a kick they couldn't deal with about two to three minutes ago.
Speaker 3: You know, sensational come back from Leeds. I think it really showed the Leeds do have the character and the grit to fight back. You know, they really needed to pull that one out of the bag. Cameron Smith came on to the bench and just changed the game with you know, with his ball running for Leeds and yeah, just a sensational win for Leeds. I think, you know, they've got lead this this Thursday, and they've got within in a couple of weeks. But I think with the lead now on the table, I think they've got one hand on the league leader shield.
Speaker 2: I think they'll win it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Wakefield, we're certainly not embarrassed. I think the only thing with them is that they did seem to run a bit of a puff. You know, maybe a fitness in that later game that they looked a bit tired, but.
Speaker 1: A mental maybe, sorry, Johnny, might be a mental thing, just you know, just being in a tight game with somebody that they're trying to catch up within the ladder well from us, just learning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a mental mental thing.
Speaker 1: Get us get the psychologist in or our huge psychologist skills.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean it was a forty hours at Bellevue, look great on the box, really good entertainment and that's you know, I think that's the kind of the best.
Speaker 2: Of super Leaue. We need more games like that.
Speaker 3: There's been a few, quite a few this round that were that were pretty dire, but that was that was a standout.
Speaker 2: Was a great game.
Speaker 1: Now, there was a match in Huddersfield this weekend and we'll get to that in about three hours. Johnny's tweet of the week, and I've also labeled this Johnny's jab Johnny Roll. You can dress it up anywhere you like. It's a terrible call. Moving out of your own city is a slow march to oblivion. Now, those who were switched on, they know that we are talking about Huddersfield's announcement that everybody seemed to know for the last three months that they're moving to Dewsbury. I think we've there unleashed on Dewsbury.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I heard about it, Manti. I think we've been talking about in the podcast for probably six weeks, haven't we. Yeah, it's just the whole thing. I mean, the fact that there's was the biggest announcement in the club's history.
Speaker 2: Will now it wasn't.
Speaker 3: And they're moving to Dewsbury, which is quite the flating, and they don't have a return duate of when they're moving back to Huddersfield, so that's not good. Apparently, you know, the comments from people who are at the game, the announcement didn't go down very well. The fans at hudders Field who were actually can you imagine them.
Speaker 1: Screaming, yes, we're moving out of town tojews three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, no plan to return to Huddersfield.
Speaker 3: The the the advertisement or whatever you want have called the promotion they did, you know, using AI just looked terrible. They're spending so Jewsbury Stadium the first time. It's not actually of a super League standard, so they're spending ten million pounds and they're fixing that up. So that's great for Jewsbury, it's great for the Dewsbury Rams. But you know, is that the best way to spend that ten million quid? Could you not spend that ten million good on marketing and promoting your cob to stage development?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah pathways. What what's the AMG thing? When do they announce?
Speaker 2: So that won't really.
Speaker 3: Until till October, so I think it's either just before the end of the season or just after it.
Speaker 1: It's basically wasn't there some speculation two weeks ago that something to do with led screens Huddersfield's ground.
Speaker 3: Yes, so Huddersfield Town, who now owned the a Q Stadium, are putting in LED screens at that stadium, which Huddersfield Giants won't be playing it next year. But the fact is that I'm jo criteria looks back at the last two to three years, doesn't look forward. So you know, they could be getting points for a stadium that they won't be playing it next year.
Speaker 1: They could say they're playing a Huddersfield underbank. They'd get announced, sorry, they'd get assessed on the last three years, right, I mean, I think I found a flaw in the system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there was I think there was eight and a half thousand fans at Huddersfield for that cat Len's game.
Speaker 2: Now, the tickets were free, so anyone could go.
Speaker 3: But the average, I think they're average for most weeks is you know, three and a half to four thousand. How many of those are actually going to go to Jewsbury each week? Well, if they, if they if we're going to go, I mean if.
Speaker 1: They, if they can, if they can get eight thousand people to come in for free, that suggests to me there's at least eight thousand who are interested to an extent. That also means that obviously means there's another two three I'm not talking about going to Gewsbury, John, I'm talking about Huddersfield. There's eight thousand people who are interested in going to watch Huddersfield in Huddersfield. Okay, that by natural attrition. There will also be some who are interested but couldn't make it on Saturday whenever it was. So that suggests to me there's still some life in Huddersfield if they want to try and if they want to try and attack it. Now there are some advantages commercially aren't they to go into Jewsbury.
Speaker 2: In terms of ability to.
Speaker 1: Grow grow things on that not grow but build things on the land in and around Newsbury. But again there's a problem there. They're trying to market it as a medium term change. So my question is when they're coming back to Huddersfield, and I don't think we can we can have that answer. Now, I've done some research, Johnny, about sports clubs in the UK which have changed location over time. Now again rugby league does this. Sometimes we tend to look to America and Australia tends to look at America too. So obviously in Australia, South Sydney don't play in their suburb, they play in Western Sydney. And there's numerous examples of teams in Australia or Sydney, same city, same city. But I can I can very much imagine that the people are Redfern don't associate with many of those in Western Sydney, so's there's slight difficulties there. America, in the NFL, there's some significant distances between city or town of origin and their home ground. The difference with the NRL and Super League is the size of the sport but the difference between the NFL, the NRL and Super League is the size of the sport closer to home in the UK. So there's been minor boundary shifts that have affected the Manchester United, for example, play in the borough of Trafford. MK Doms originated as Winwood and they've relocated over sixty miles north to Milton Keynes. So let's let's think about these teams now. So MK Dons number one London Broncos in Rugby League, they've frequently shifted outside the capital and full seasons outside in Ealing and Wimbledon, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just they've gone. They've gone from North London, the East London.
Speaker 1: They maybe maybe certain boundaries are not quite the same. Coventry City so but we use London. So number two London Coventry City. Because of stadium disputes, they spent one season thirty miles away at Northampton and three seasons I think at St Andrew's in Birmingham. So that's the third one. And they've Charlton Athletics. Sorry, late nineteen eighties and early nineties they played elsewhere apart from the Valley. They went to Selhurst Park and also Upton Park, home of west Ham for whatever reason. Now, so there's four teams there. How many of them are absolutely maximizing their potential as a sports organization right now. I don't know, well, Coventry have just arrived in the Premier League, but I can promise you that this is a Coventry that in the mid eighties won the FA Cup and since then have been very much a yo yo side. London Broncos. There's been nine attempts to re establish London as a rugby league entity professionalist, so there's quite a lot of historical data to suggest that it's not quite worked yet. And the others that we mentioned Wimbledon turning into MK Doms. They won the FA Cup in the eighties and they were a Premier League side, and where are they now?
Speaker 3: That works so badly that they set up wimbled and I have seed they set up a Phoenix club and then I think that's club's gone quite well or went into Lee one or two. I'm not I mean, I just don't. I think we could talk about this ad nauseam. But I think as a tweet I saw a few tweets I saw from the amateurish rugby league and hero he or she. I don't know who runs it. I don't understand this spawning over Ken Davies, some sort of rugby league hero, blindly pumping in millions a year after year with no clear strategy, no noticeable growth. Isn't investing, it's squandering. Worse, He's squandered millions of central funding too. They've had years to arrange an alternative home in Huddersfield, They've chose to leave it to last minute, to a point Ralph Emmer of all people to oversee it, and they've been left with having to make a reactive move to Tewsbury. Spare me the fawning and pity party. In quotation marks, he's made the club survived and in quotation marks they've had no choice.
Speaker 2: Bollocks. I would love to have seen what someone else with the same money could have achieved with Hddessfield in three decades.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Obviously, Ken Davey or anybody throwing their money into anything has the absolute freedom to do whatever the heck they want with their money. But when you put it into a sports club, I think the fans that pay their hard earned to goal do have the right to voice their opinions and support us cutters and forums, etc. I'll go back to my original point that when they allowed people to come into their ground for free, there were over eight thousand people that turned up. And the reason that eight thousand is very important is I can't imagine four thousand of them flew from the south of France to watch the Catalans. So there would have been a very small contingent from the south of France and the rest would have been you'd imagine Huddersfield people or people hit interested in the Huddersfield Giants, and then in terms of natural attrition and just life, there would have been others that wanted to go but couldn't make it. So that suggests to me that at the moment they're deciding to leave town, to leave Huddersfield, they are sitting on a potential gold mine that with some long term and with some sustained strategy rather than tactics. Is what we mentioned earlier with regards to Dublin, with a long term strategy, they could get far better outcomes exactly where they are now. I do understand that the Huddersfield Stadium is big, that it's cavernous, that it's not necessarily filled to the brim. However, they don't even maximize that. When the cameras are there, they don't put many fans in front of the camera. They don't do anything to cover the seats. I mean, this happens in Australia too. The big stadium in home Bush is rarely full, but they put you know, the rabbitoes might be at home, They'll put a massive rabbit tooes banner over the seats. That just makes it look different, makes it makes it look a bit more populated for whatever reason, or makes the seats irrelevant basically. So there's so many things they could do. I'm disappointed they're going to Dewsbury. I know there may be commercial things that matter, but the fundamental fact of the matter is they're basically admitting that they failed in Huddersfield. And in ten years time, in twenty years time, are they going to be called the Giants or are they going to be called Huddersfield rams or they're going to be called HU Huddersfield Jewsberry Rams. Also, Jewsbury rams Field is about as big as my laptop screen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's a blue venue, is it. It's not up to standard and you can break it down many different ways. I think they are averaging twenty eight ninety years ago when they when they finished top of the league and no one was complaining about the atmosphere. Then no, And they've basically gone back backwards since then, and the lads trimbled away. And a big part of that, I think is the lack of engagement with the fans, the lack of marketing of the club, the poor leadership of the club.
Speaker 2: You know, people, the way they've tried to spin this.
Speaker 3: The majority of people, and I think the majority of have to fancy it is the absolute dog's breakfast.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: And despite that, John, there's still eight thousand people who decided to come and watch them at the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: To be honestly, I don't really think that's much of a market because that's just a freebie.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think it's still time, it's still time, it's still effort.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they've done this, They've done this several times over the last ten years. And I think they got paid on nine thousand or maybe even ten thousand another game.
Speaker 2: But they don't turn up every week, or they don't because.
Speaker 1: They don't get engaged. That's the Yeah, it's like it's like email. It's like emailing strategies John that if somebody shows a little bit of interest. Businesses do this all the time. Somebody shows a little bit of interest, you capture some of their data and you text them or email them, and you know what you have to do. You know what the average amount of touch points around the business world. And this used to happen when there was no Internet and you used to walk past a shop or a restaurant or something like that. The average is twenty touch points, right, twenty touch points in terms of walking past a shop and going, oh, I think I'll go in that shop, or walk past that shop, Oh I need something now, or go in that shop or that restaurant. And social media is the same. That's why if you look at any business coaching manual, if you look at any social media influencers who say this is how you market, etc. They talk about constant engagement, and they talk about how you can't just do one thing and then help.
Speaker 2: Everybody will just run. And that's the problem.
Speaker 1: It's not the fact that that The fact of the matter is, and I've said this four times now, a thing there's eight thousand people who cared enough to go to that to that game. There's plenty of other things you can do on a Saturday afternoon in West Yorkshire right near a train with a train station that you can go everywhere right and literally everywhere around the country if you want as well. There's so many things you can do. It's a historical town and city, plus people have different interests. Eight thousand people wanted to go to that game. To me, if they spent the next twenty years cultivating that properly, things would get better in Huddersfield. I'm really disappointed they leaving to go to Jewsbury. I really am.
Speaker 2: Well, considering they've already pissed off a large majority of their existing fan base. I don't think that's going to happen.
Speaker 3: What's not going to happen. I don't think they're going to grow their existing fan base. I don't think you know, they're going to be getting bigger crowds that they've got in Jewsbury.
Speaker 2: Then they're going to Now. I think the reverse will happen.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying no point did I ever say it would happen in Jewsbury.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Don't know, and the disappointing thing I think is I think that won three games in a row now, and they played very well on Saturday, and Jim Manning and obviously making a difference there and the players are responding, so theyre actually are getting some results. So you know, they played really well on Saturday, they scored some great tries. But I think the people running the club that are letting those paints the players down.
Speaker 1: I think it's awful. I yeah, yeah, we actually agree. We both agree. Okay, we're just looking at it from slightly different angles. Everything everything got Huddersfield right now in comparison to six weeks ago, is trending upwards. They're winning some games, and eight thousand people were minded to spend a few hours of their Saturday afternoon when there's so many other things to do, to turn up at that ground. With a proper strategy to engage those people and some patients and some care, they could get them over the line. And these people who turned up, So Huddersfield score forty two through households two tries, Rogers one, Wrench got two, Hewitt scored one and Dunford scored one. Flannagan kicked seven goals. Catalans only scored twenty points, two from Condon, one from Duralataur, another from Stains and two from Sexton and even the even that it was all about the ground announcement, nobody seems to care that they've won yet another game? Is that three on the bounce now?
Speaker 3: I think it is throughout the bouts and I mean obviously hollow to see one. But they keep this up, they may avoid the wooden spin, which you know, I think would be right achievement. There'd be a get out of jail on a moment, you know, for a vot conference for Jim Manahan and the job he's doing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was just look very underwhelming. Poorly.
Speaker 1: The whole thing has just been poor and I don't expect it to work. But yeah, Wigan played to lose before this, to lose, had two wins in five but now Wiggan have won ten on the bounce since the Grand since not the Grand Final, the Challenge Cup Final. After scoring eight tries to thump to lose forty eight eighteen Wiggans tries two from Eckersley, one from French quite ironic playing against the French side, two from Marshall, Hodkinson, Say and Field scored the others eight goals from Smith to lose. His eighteen came from Ulburg Tropis Rouge and Rouge kicked three goals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think to lose, you know, they had a real dig in the first half. It was quite close and then we're going to just roll over them second half. I mean the French field try where Bevan went through.
Speaker 2: And then kicked for Field to pick it up. That was just some lie.
Speaker 3: I think that that combination, that one two punch is you know, one of the best in Super League history, you know, whether it be fall back and five eight or fall back wing or wherever they've two sort of played.
Speaker 2: Obviously they've won a stack of trophies together in the five or six years that they've been together in Wigan. But they are so good together, you know, both usath Welsman, both indigenous, both quick, both skillful. Yeah, maybe there can be more players from New so Wells that can delight people in England.
Speaker 1: Bradford Bulls played Warrington. Warrington have had a fifty percent record since early June. Bradford Bulls hadn't won for a month and have been hammered a lot lately. To him, a bit worried about Bradford John they hosted, they hosted Warrington, but it was Bradford four with a try from Ryan Warrington, forty two two from Ashton, one from Hop POWARTI King Philbin, crowded and Irwin and Irwin kicks seven goals. Not good for Bradford. Things aren't looking good at the moment and they're now in the wooden spoon. I was going to call it a race, but I don't think anybody rushes together.
Speaker 2: No, no, they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think tough times for Bradford. They've had a lot of injuries. You know, their performances have fallen away. I know they did go ahead early through you and Irwin got the opening try, but it was pretty much one way traffic from warrener and much after. The young halves are really clicking now with with Hazen and Irwin. Yeah, it looked looked quite a small crowd at odds as well, which is in a great a great look.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: I mean pretty much the game wasn't over at halftime, but it really ran away for them for Bradford.
Speaker 2: Later on in the second half we.
Speaker 1: Finally got to the table and I'll start at the bottom. Because we just referred to the bottom of the ladder. The Huddersfield Jewsbury Ram Giants are still bottom of the ladder on ten points. Bradford Bulls are only two points ahead of them. As our whole left C Bradford are on thirteenth or in thirteenth sorry with twelve Hull Left C after their win are in twelfth with twelve points. The points difference there is a real issue because I essentially think Hull Left C have done a very good done a very good job in beating Saint Helens and I think with the amount of games left, their points difference is going to be hard to turn round for Bradford Bulls, who are not informed at all. Castleford, despite their travies, are in eleventh and on fourteen with two other sides. York Knights are in tenth on fourteen to lose, are in ninth in fourteenth. They seem to have a mortgage on ninth to lose. If I'm honest, I've seem to have been saying that every week. Their French neighbors Catalans are in eighth on eighteen points. Saint Helen's are in seventh or twenty four, and John mentioned earlier they're probably not going to make the sixth because Lee Leopards are above them by four points on twenty eight. Hulkingston Rovers are in fifth now they did at one point get to fourth, but they've also played one less game and they're on twenty eight points. Warrington, who they play in that extra game, are in fourth on thirty points, two points ahead of full KR. Wakefield are in third on thirty two. By virtue of that defeat at the weekend, Wigan Warriors are now in second and they're definitely on the march in thirty four points, but Leeds are still in the summit on thirty six. We did mention the running and things like that. John, have you any reason to change your opinion on where teams will finish or anything like that as a result of fixture?
Speaker 2: No, not really.
Speaker 3: I mean I think the results pretty much went the way it was expected. I thought, I thought Saint Allen's might be f but their decline has continued, and I thought I did tip leads, but Wakefield I thought, we you know, we're a really good chance. But I think that really confirms that the leads are almost one hand on the league leader shield and I think with that loss now I can't see so I think it will just be that makeup of who finishes, you know, second, fourth fifty Leeds play Wigan before the end of it, do yeahs Leads have got lead this this Thursday, which is quite a big game, and then they've got Wigan in a couple of weeks and Wakefield have got Wigan as well. I think the danger now for Wakefield is, you know, you want to finish first or second because then you only really have to you have to win one.
Speaker 2: Game and you're in the Grand finals.
Speaker 3: So that's going to be a big race to see who finishes second or third between those two and then obviously the breakdown of who finishes between whole k.
Speaker 2: R Lee and Warrington and what order. They will want to finish as.
Speaker 3: High as they can and maybe avoid one of those teams. Yeah, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: Now the Huddersfield Jewsbury Ramming Giants may be playing in an NRL owned super League.
Speaker 2: So he said Ramming Giants, then that was a bit close.
Speaker 1: Ramming that could also be determined and bad way too. The NRL and super League talks is definitely something happening because there's been media announcements on both sides of the world this week. Try and summarize it, John in at least forty five minutes.
Speaker 3: It's really hard to summarize, but basically I work up this morning. There was a big story in the Courier mile an interview with Peter Vandys, and latest from Landy's in that story was that the Anna rules planned to save Super League could be on the brink of collapse in what would be a devastating blow for the English game. Now, the Qouramail rights that it's understood Skysporks is reluctant to come to the party with a pultiple deal to satisfy the Annable's investment strategy. There are suggestions design which now in focus offs, could support a super League rescue package, but Landy says the super League deal could hit a dead end.
Speaker 2: You know they haven't. So that was what was in the Koreia mail. And look, I think.
Speaker 3: You could say in the past that the Koreia Mail has been particularly kind of Landy's and basically runs his br There has been speculation that this is part of Landy's negotiating to contact tactics that he likes to come out with his comments of the press. Now, I've spoken to a lot of people, contact a lot of people, both to this side of the world and in Australia. There is a lot of confusion about really what's going on. Not a lot of people seem to know. They're still these people who should know. Yes, my understanding is that the RFL Slush Super League, they're still not being offered a deal. There's no deal on the table as of yet. They've been told any day now you'll have a deal. I still don't have one now. What's interesting also that I think it was reported in the UK last week that there was NRL officials in England at the moment meeting with Super leg clubs. Now, I spoke to several clubs. They don't know anything about it, They've not had meetings. I was told that there was someone who works astrategy in the NRL who was in London, who was on holiday.
Speaker 2: They weren't meeting clubs. No one went north.
Speaker 3: So that's a bit of an odd one, but a bit just jumping back a little bit to the Caurima story. The bit that's interesting is that the Lands seems to be trying to fund the offer for super League by selling super League's TV rights and getting more money for them than what super League is. That doesn't seem like, you know, a great strategy. You know, selling their assets to fund investment in super League is a bit odd, wouldn't you agree?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I am minded not to take much notice of this deal being on the brink of collapse. I think what could very well the Land is strong arming someone somewhere via his media mates in Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think that. You know that.
Speaker 3: Further to that, Andrew was obviously over in the UK a little while ago. My understanding is that he tried to meet with Skuy when he was over and I said, no, we're not going to meet with you.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: The RFL on super lego wrapping up their TV rights, you know. I spoke to Roder James Andwick did an interview with him. You can go out and read that. It's a free read on Patreon. He expects the deal to be done soon now. He didn't name who, but I think it will be Sky. He's also said that every game will be televised now whether that will be with Sky for a couple of games and with another broadcaster that appears likely. He also seems quite avant that there will increase in value. So that's something that obviously the Super League needs. It needs more money for his TV rights. But the NRL thing, Look again, I don't Yeah, where is the NRLs Obviously they've got their five point three billion deal. Where are they going to get the money to fund an offer to super lego A They're getting it from their own coffers?
Speaker 2: Are they getting it through broadcast? That's never really been fully clear. What are they going to get?
Speaker 3: You know, they're going to create a commission that they control. Are they do they want a percentage state? Do they want the whole thing? There's so much conjecture and get out over that.
Speaker 1: It may also it may also be worth noting that the Landis Media people in News Corp also released that the NRL is actively looking at a global round. So obviously what's happening now is the NRL leaking machine, if we want to call it, That is letting the wider public know and also the rugby league community know what they're thinking of doing with their TV rights money that they've just secured. What's also been in the in the Sydney media is that the players are trying to make a big pitch for it. The clubs are trying to make a big pitch for it too, and nowhere on earth would there be anybody not trying to pitch when there's such a bounty. In theory on offer, there's also a thought that the bounty I don't necessarily think. Both Channel nine and Fox over here I think are owned by his own I don't think they'll be getting between them half of five billion wired over to the NRL in cash. I think a lot of it is contradeal for advertising and whatnot. So in other words, there's a lot of things that people don't know. And I also think by the land Is dropping this into the media about the Super League deal coming under threat, it will galvanize people in Australia at the clubs to go one way or the other. I think what we can assume from this is that we are approaching something of an end game. Yeah, now, I think you know. So there's been posturing on both sides of the world. Yes, And I think now I think we'll know in the next month or so. We'll know before the end of the Super League and NRL season no two ways.
Speaker 3: Well, it's funny you say that because I spoke to Chris led Chris Redlinsky, sorry, the CEO Wigan on Wednesday, and you know, talk to him a lot about a lot of things, but one of them was about the TV deal, sorry, the NRL deal as well as the TV deal, and you know, he said to me, you know, I do think getting something in the next two to three weeks is absolutely critical. We believe broadcast is setting it to a conclusion. We believe the NRL are getting close. Obviously, Andrew Oud to us left now there has to be decision made on title sponsorship, so obviously the betfread deal, and then he said, we don't know what's happening on the number of teams in Super League. That's four big ticket items that are going to come within the next month. Within the next month, the direction and clarity of the sport will become a lot clearer. So I think I think you are rightly. I think by the end of August we are getting, you know, to the to the meaty end of this NRL Super League talk negotiations, deal or no deal. But I think just putting all this side of that like I think. I'm not I'm not saying that Super League should take any deal that's given to them, but.
Speaker 2: You have to wonder what is that? What is Plan B?
Speaker 3: Is there a Plan B? It doesn't seem to be a plan beat at me. So you know, I think joining forces when the NRL can only really be a positive for the sport globally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talking of rebranding will drop down a division. North Wales Crusaders are rebranding. Yes, they are so broke the store on Friday. They're going to become the Wales Crusaders. They've started a reserve team in South Wales and they're also looking to play some games in bridge Bridge End.
Speaker 2: I believe it is, which is near Cardiff.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not a Welsh geographical expert, but they play essentially in North Wales in not that far from the English board in new Chester and Liverpool. But there is no South Wales team. There's only effectively in professional semi professional rugby league in the UK, there only is the Northwest Crusaders. So yeah, they're trying to spread their wings a bit appeal to the whole country. Obviously, we've talked a lot about Northwest Crusaders this year having gone bust new owners, but they are trying to you know, they're trying to rebuild and reform the club. They've hired a CEO, they've science sponsorship deals, signed a coach for next year. They seem to be trying to build and grow the crop sustainably. So it's an interesting move. I hope it's successful. Yeah, it's one to it's one to watch. I think what's interesting to me is also that I think the NRL has shown some interest in not only just France, but Wales as well, so that's a market I think that they would they would look to or be interested in. And the other proponent is obviously Welsh rugby Union. Not sure how much followed. It is in massive crisis, like their national team has been absolutely shite for several years. They're looking to kill off one of their professional I think it's they have five professional teams in the union and they're looking to kill off one of those regional teams, which has been very controversial. So you could argue that they're is maybe a stronger market for league without a shadow of that would take a lot of money, and it would take a lot of money and also, as you said earlier that that magic word.
Speaker 2: That starts with S.
Speaker 1: What does field Chop move to wales Bridge endy thirty minutes drive away from Cardiff. There's a showdown in the Championship.
Speaker 3: There is well, I mean this is this is kind of tied to it. But there's a lot of unhappy people in the Championship. I mean this year there's been a bit of a nightmare with the fixes and the merged competition. But they're introducing a salary cap to try and stop more clubs going bus But we still don't know what's happening with Featherston. I did speak to Paul cook on in the week. He was keen to coach Featherstone a reform Featherston next year, but looks like he doesn't want to do that anymore. He's quite enjoying his media work as a commentator and for different media outlets and I think there's been a bit of a setback and who's trying to fly the land around the Featherston Stadium. So there's just a lot of unknowns in the Championship. You know, is there going to be reserves? Other championship team is going to be also feeder teams to Super League. What do championship teams have to do to get into super League?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a general theme here across both super League and champions there's a.
Speaker 3: Lack of leadership accountability. But I mean it's only been happening for.
Speaker 1: More and the wheelchair a lot of still arguing.
Speaker 3: A bit more on that, Yeah, I mean, I wrote a story about Warrenton having two games two games abandoned, one for a fight where allegedly a referee was punched, another one where there was the dispute over referees decision that the team walked off.
Speaker 2: But I've also heard a few people wheelchairs.
Speaker 3: Wheel off. I guess, yeah, you could, you could put it. There was also apparently a coach last year of one of the clubs I think, was banned for numerous games for I think it might have been threatening a referee. I'll have to double check no One. But there just seems to be a lot of things going on behind the sea the surface or behind the wheels in the wheelchair game. There's a lot of people unhappy with how it's being run and decisions, and from my point of view, I mean it's hard. Obviously, probably in oz Lee because wheelchair gap rugby league doesn't really get much publicity in Australia, does it. But in terms of in England, particularly after the last World Cup where England won the World Cup in wheelchair, there was a big there was a big ground small of publicity and interest and it looked like that that sport was on a high and you just sort of what's happened to that? Since you know there was talking about a wheelchair Premier League, about a new a new competition TV deal, that it's not gone anywhere.
Speaker 2: It probably lacks a strategy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, NRL Penrith have lost four of the last seven. John Now I did say to anybody who listened to me at the start of the year, start of the season that Penrith were probably going a bit too hard on the early part of the season. I didn't know it was sustainable. Now you could argue that Penry having their dip now is the right time so they can grow, yes and get better and make a run to the finals. But this is quite a dip. This isn't one game or two games as most Premiers tend to lose a little bit before the finals to kick them on again. This is four of the last seven and they went to Auckland at the weekend in a game that I'm sure Penrith would have thought, well, Warriors are pretenders for the title. Let's make sure they're still pretend at the end. And it didn't turn out that way. The Warriors got away with the win. So very interesting about Penris. Do you have any fears for them, John, based on what you've seen?
Speaker 3: To be honest, I've not seen them play lately. I wasn't aware that they'd lost for the last seven, so I can't comment too close to on it, but I would I would agree with you that maybe they did start a little bit too strong and maybe they've tried to taper off a bit. But I think, you know, just the pure class that are having that team and the experience, the big game experience, I think they will come good when it matters. I just don't think it's a full gud conclusion that Penrith are going to win the title anymore.
Speaker 2: I agree. No, I agree with you there.
Speaker 3: I think I think you know, obviously they've won what four of the last five or whatever, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's a four on conclusion. I think they are fallible. Yeah, I agree. I think you know that there's definitely opportunities for other teams out there are beatable.
Speaker 2: Fosseball is dead. Yeah I didn't see. I didn't say this game, but yeah, I think you didn't watch.
Speaker 1: Your own team. You didn't miss a game the other week a few months ago.
Speaker 2: I was it was a very early morning game here.
Speaker 1: I don't see anything on social media manly this, you know, even on your wife social you know video you're saying, it's all excited at nothing. Now, well the Storm beat.
Speaker 3: Them, Yeah, well rubbish a rubbish Storm team, So yeah, you know that's sort of Yeah, they've they've fallen off the boil well and truly.
Speaker 1: And the irony is that they now play the Dolphins this week, which is when the Fozball era started. And remember they went to Redcliffe and demolished the Dolph. Well you did, and it was all over social media. The NRL's media cop has been the talk of the Sydney and Brisbane connurbations this week.
Speaker 2: What do you know about that? John? I might know more, actually, but what do you.
Speaker 3: I think you probably know more. I think it was Danny Wider who broke the story. Listen to a few podcasts talking about apparently it's a part of the new broadcast deal, isn't that it was asked by the networks. I think it's been linked to Andrew Lancaster, who is the chairman of Saint George of the War and is a big wig at nine and I think they were unhappy about a lot of the criticism they were getting from. I think it was n RL three sixty and the Dragons.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I actually like the you have to nominate your conflicts of interest self you're an agent and you also work in TV, you know, or you're you know, an owner of an RL cop but then you also work as a pundit or as a commentator. I think you should have to nominate who your your conflicts of interest. But this thing about you know, if someone's too critical and apparently it only covers to TV, so it's only the TV news, but you know, if you're too negative about the product, then you can be effectively be kicked off the network as a process.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've all got to talk the game up now. I mean that's just a North Korea is George orwall are four?
Speaker 1: We all you know, the what it should be called is a conflict of interest cop, not a media cop, because it's all targeted at people with conflicts of interest. So some of those include Phil Gill, general manager of Rugby League Bulldogs, and Sam Tellers very very high media, very high media about identity, and then you've just listed all the others. Brace and Aster is one that's come to prominence because it could be assumed that on his talk show the n ROL three sixty that he hosts, he's saying certain things about players that are under his agency banner and other things about those who aren't or the people who are looking after those in his agency banner. So there's a thousand conflicts of interest in rugby league. And I think this speaks to the fact that I sometimes use the term smoke and mirrors when it comes to rugby league. It's not necessarily as big as people think. And a lot of these people have to do two jobs to supplement an income, even in Australia, so you have to put things. You have to put jobs together, and of course TV networks like to have and radio networks like to have ex players, ex coaches, etc. And they'll have all the jobs and they'll have other jobs in the game and in clubland too because those clubs want them as well, and we just don't get that in bigger sports, so it should be called a conflict of interest. Cop, do we have any conflicts of interest? John on Super League three sixty.
Speaker 3: Well used to work for Wigan, didn't you, so you could have a long time ago. Yeah, I've never worked I've never worked for any club.
Speaker 2: I have been a cue.
Speaker 3: Well, I've been accused of having agendas against certain clubs or I've been asked what is my at the club that I support, but I don't Well, I don't support any club in the UK obviously, I am a mainly new so well, so when you when.
Speaker 2: You grew up in Newcastle you did?
Speaker 1: Are you telling me you did not develop a hatred of everything associated with Bradford and FC when you were growing up in Newcastle?
Speaker 2: Man develop the hatred of Queensland.
Speaker 3: But actually I know many many well queensland is, such as yourself or counless friends.
Speaker 2: And I've had many lovely holidays.
Speaker 1: Queens I'm a Queensland resident for tax persons. Yeah, yes, bedfriend. Super League next Thursday? Is it going to be Betfread next year.
Speaker 3: By the way, well, if you read my interview with Rodery James, you might have an idea of that.
Speaker 2: Lee. So it's a free reado out there.
Speaker 1: I'm asking them for the benefit of our listeners. John, I've got better things to do than read some things.
Speaker 3: No, so I think it was reported that it was going to end this year. No, obviously the sponsorship runs out this year. I spoke to roder Jones, I spoke to some other people. They had a negotiating period with Betfred and that has passed. They weren't able to agree a deal. So the RFL is in the market now. I don't think it's a full gone conclusion that there will be nothing or no sponsorship deal with Bedford Inshu. It's looking that way.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me Betfred haven't come out and said this deal's in trouble.
Speaker 2: No, I think on the brink will collapse. Bedfread have closed.
Speaker 3: I don't know a couple of hundred shops, so they're attracting as a business. But ten years with any sports sponsorship is a long time. You know, you don't generally get ten year sponsorships. I think in most sports and competitions. But the thing is rugby league is it's it's wagging a bedfread for a decade. You know, they only sponsored super League. They sponsored the Women's Super League, the Wheelchair, the England team and the championship the Challenge Cup.
Speaker 2: So that is going to be a lot of money to replace.
Speaker 1: That's there's also a common denominator here, RFL and negotiations. Anyway, in what is now called the Betfread Super League, Hulkingston Rovers, Lead Rhinos and one Inton Wolves all host games on Thursday at eight o'clock. So John's now going to give his world famous tips U k Are versus Catalans on Thursday at eight o'clock.
Speaker 2: It's not a tough pick.
Speaker 1: Healthy create score, Lee Rhinos and Lee Leopards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should hopefully be at this game and I think I think Leeds. I think it'll be a really good game, but I think leads My just just squeak.
Speaker 2: Home and and Warrington and York.
Speaker 3: Warrington again yeah with a lot to play for York, you know, still fighting, but yeah, I think I think warrant.
Speaker 2: What's with the outbreak of games on Thursday.
Speaker 3: John, I think the idea of howkir and Warrington both playing on for Thursdays give them enough time to play with and they Tuesday after you. But why Leeds and Lee are playing on the Thursday.
Speaker 2: I have no idea. That just seems dumb to me. But anyway, what do want it? On Friday? The resurgent well le FC.
Speaker 1: Hosting the far from resurgent to Castleford Tigers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this is two very ordinary teams.
Speaker 3: I would probably tip pe FC in a tight one because you know the fast that's going on. A Casper and Holo of c have finally got over the line for a win. Should give him a little bit of confidence.
Speaker 2: Saturday, is anybody left to play? Yes?
Speaker 1: There is Wakefield Trinity at five point thirty play against Saint Helen's in Wakefield.
Speaker 3: This is Darie robertson Derby and I think Wakefield will will win it comfortably.
Speaker 1: Bradford hosting Wigan out Yeah, we can buy a big, big, big score. That's that's at six thirty UK at a UK time at nine o'clock UK time to lose a hosting field.
Speaker 2: I fancy huber Field here.
Speaker 1: I think this is perfect. After winning a few games, let's have a check to France, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I fancy the Giants as well. They really to have turned the corner. Yeah, yeah, I like, I like how to tell that one?
Speaker 1: And no Super League games on Sunday. Let's go to the question, Yes, John, Yeah, can we just say the scheduling? What the hell is going on with the schedulingly?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I've been thanking it for about three or four years, so I just get tired of saying it for thirty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The question's got a lot of questions, So the first one from Ron Knox is the IMG process truly independent if the RFL board, representing each of their own clubs, can decide what's in and what's out? Ron, the RFL board isn't representing each of their own clubs. There's no club owners or members on there, so.
Speaker 1: So the conflict of media, conflict of interest. Copp says, nothing to see here? Is that what you're seeing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean you could you could wager to see who in the RFL board has links to what clubs, whether former owners or fans, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think we're going to unpack that right now.
Speaker 3: One question from Tom Colbeck, how do we reduce loop fixtures? Repeating games warrantly have had a preseason game that I assume is on the clubs.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is. Tom played three league clubs during the Magic weekend loot fixture, a Challenge Cup game and possibly meaning the playoffs.
Speaker 3: He gets boring and a tougher self. Surely things like magic teams have to lose a home fixture on rotation or judge on privilege. Year's table finish is a bonus. I'm not sure. I'm not sure how to league we rebalanced. Everyone doesn't play everyone home in away, but we need less games. You can't keep taking away from the same well with events, take take, take, which is understandable, but it's killing the likes of the Challenge Cup.
Speaker 1: Great, great question, and I totally agree because there's a word beginning with I, integrity of competition. And the minute you throw in extra fixtures or somebody plays each other more than more than others, you can you can as soon as you can turn around and say we had a harder draw.
Speaker 2: Or an easier draw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, I agree with Tom and part I mean, I don't I think we've actually had less loot fixtures. Warrington and Lee played each other in preseason that was their own decision.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah we can't you know, that's down to them obviously.
Speaker 3: The Challenge Cup again, there's you know a bit of randomness in that, even though we seem to get a lot of similar fixtures in the Charge Cup here in here. But yeah, we don't want loot fixtures. But the clubs need to pay the bills and they do it off off.
Speaker 2: Home game revenue. So I think the thing.
Speaker 3: With the with Magic is it should be a home game. Well you should rotate it so that it's a home game for six clubs, sorry seven clubs, and then the following years a home game further one, so that way it's actually part of the regular season.
Speaker 2: Yep. Question from Jeff Stretfield.
Speaker 3: What's right, wrong or right with a fifteen team super League apart from teams getting a small share of the pots? Well very quickly and then I'll pass every lead. I think it's wrong because there isn't a player pool to support fifteen teams. There isn't a playerpool to support fourteen teams. They've had to extend the quota and you're getting a poorer quality of Austrain or Pacific on to KeyWe players over and I just didn't think there's enough. You know that we see worse overall, worse quality games this season than we have in previous years, even though you know Leeds Wakefield was great, but was Okay Cast a great game, Was you know, Bradford Barrington a great game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only thing I would add to that is it's not just the player pool available in the UK and people coming to Australia. There's also been an extra NRL side added to the NRLs in recent years. There's another one coming next year, and another one coming the year after, and then another one coming at some point later. So rugby league worldwide community is really getting strained in terms of player pools. And if you make the Super League fifteen teams, it will become an even worse quality competition. Much of the Super League right now is played by players I would call reserve graders, and he's played at reserve grade standard in terms of the overall standard of world rugby league.
Speaker 3: And the thing about those NROL clubs, they're not taking you know, they're taking the best English players. So you know, I know he'd left as a teenager, but Herbie farm Worth at the Dolphins, George Williams is going is going to PNG. Smithy's was a Camera but he's going to be at Perth is going to be a Perth. McDonald's going to be a Perth. Newman is going to be a Perth.
Speaker 1: And even even at the top level of super League, John I see Radlinsky made a comment last week that the top four or five Super League sides could compete in the NRL. I'm not sure, and it depends on your definition of compete because because a lot of those players at the top clubs are not in demand in Australia. They you know, Bevan French was basically a reserve grader at Paramatta and now he's being talked about one of the best super League imports in.
Speaker 3: I think I think Bevan French would be a regular added team in the NRL. Now, I don't think French would be, you know, playing for Australia or Origin, but I think he's definitely good enough to be playing an NRL.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I agree with the point.
Speaker 3: I think in one off games or in this series of games, super League teams would be competitive.
Speaker 2: But you are right, you can put competitive in a different.
Speaker 1: Way, and we were so far off in the ashes and you don't fix that in six months or twelve months.
Speaker 3: No question from Andrew red when should the process for deciding what teams are included or excluded from Super League? He decided at the start of the season so clubs and supporters know what to expect.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, yeah, it's a fit point.
Speaker 3: I guess it depends on what system you're using, whether it's promotion and relegation, whether it's IMG.
Speaker 1: Do you remember do you remember the criticism when London started the season knowing they weren't going to be in a Super league the year after?
Speaker 2: Do you remember that? Yes?
Speaker 1: I do, And therefore they just cut their wage bill, save some money and fought with two hands tired behind the back. Yeah that's the downside of it as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there are there are upsides and downsides from Gareth Malam. Should the IMG process be fully transparent at the moment there's so much debate, But us mens daven know how the points system is working out. We have access to a handbook from twenty twenty four, but that has changed and the loads of questions around some clubs not giving your tendances for games. We can't see the finances basically we can't even see it's a fair I mean, that's a that's a great point from Gareth. I think they should be, you know, updating that handbook, making their document live so that fans can check it. The finances thing is a big issue because owners just put in loans to their companies, the club businesses, and it's written off, you know, to improve the financial situation. And the attendance is again we don't know not ivery club publishes their attendances.
Speaker 1: So everybody in Australia New Zealand must be thinking. Is everybody in rugby league in England confused? Fans clubs? Everyone's accused.
Speaker 2: We've got also a question from Trent Watkins.
Speaker 3: The rebrand to the Welsh Cruses, I believe is a smart move from the business owners. If the Aneral does invest in the Super League, I can foresee it being some directive from the NROL for a Welsh, Irish or additional French team in the Super League within the next four year period.
Speaker 2: It's now to the Crusaders owners to build on its national Welsh focus.
Speaker 3: I might be looking at this too positively, however, Yeah, I agree with you trend. I think that's the way of thinking, it's going to be very difficult. But I think you know we're talking ideas and hopes, then yeah, I would agree. And then there is a second bit. The sponsor of betfread for the Super League, and he is a bit concerning. I know, hating on gambling companies is in fogue at the moment with a younger generation, but they are great partners to the Super League, ANERL and rugul league in general. Who do you foresee being the future sponsor? The pride lift of sponsors for the random first for the Super League are quite random.
Speaker 1: Well, there's there's only about a million businesses that could potentially sponsor rugby league. But I think if you if you look at the the fit, obviously gambling is a good fit with sport in terms of they change in terms of legislation.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. Alcohol is always a good one.
Speaker 1: Uh sports outlets?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean how long is a piece?
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, I don't know who the sponsor is going to be, but I think the kind of position of rugby league and UK definitely needs to improve because you don't see a lot of different categories, you know, in in in the RL, you see cars down, you see fast food, you see you know milkshake in Super League. You know what We've had Stobart, We've Agulette. Who else have we had? Lad Brogues, the pizza company that didn't pay. Yeah, we had I try to remember which pizza was it? Yeah, we had, we had Marsha B's.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think we kind of need to make the image of the game a bit more attractive for braining any companies making caps. And we did have a question on on X. Let me just dig this one out.
Speaker 2: There was an interesting one that to give me a bit of pause for thought.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure how how to answer this, how ruthless to be, but I read it out.
Speaker 2: I'll let you answer it first. Let me throw me on the under the box. Yes, definitely, where are we sorry, just bear with me one second. I found it. Here we go.
Speaker 3: I've got from pad the Greek. If you've got a spare twenty five working days, what are the immediate steps and helens make to improve.
Speaker 1: Hearts and minds? I know you'll say that's what they said in Vietnam or Honestly, you need to communicate with your fan base properly. And your fan base also includes juniors who may play the game, and if one thing Saint Helens have done over the years is not gone with a bigger picture thought, are you trying to go nationally or something like that. They almost seem to have lost their locality as well. So I always think when there's so many moving parts, when there's so much going on, that's not good. Your best ring fencing what you can and they really need to focus on the community of Saint Helens. It's still a strong amateur scene. Get people on board, get people moving in the right direction, and make people feel part of the process again, because don't forget over the last twenty years they've moved grounds as well, so they'll be there'll be some people that lost a connection to Saint Helens just because of that as well. So there's there's I would ring fence Saint Helens and make sure no players from Saint Helens sign elsewhere as juniors and things like that. I would, I would, I would come with a ten year plan minimum. Yeah, well, I like that. I'd agree with that.
Speaker 3: I think I think they are making some moves in the sense that they're looking to move some players on. Obviously, their name of DoD Lewis Murphy. You know, there's a lot of talk about Jackson Hasting's David Clemar Shane Wright. I have heard there is some talk that maybe Johnny Lomax will become an assistant coach at the end of the year. It's obviously pssibly retiring. James Ruby seems to'll come back in the fold, which seems positive.
Speaker 2: Obviously they need a head coach.
Speaker 3: They've announced the Dublin Game, which I think is kind of a nice diversion, isn't it.
Speaker 1: When there was successful a few years ago, there were so many local juniors in that side, so many that have come through the academy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wrote and this is what I was told that a lot of the best juniors have been going off to Wiggan and Warrington in recent years.
Speaker 2: So they've tried to get the path.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've tried to get their pathway back in line at the moment, and.
Speaker 1: Markes was so good at that stuff as well before it became CEO.
Speaker 3: I think just listening to their fans, talking to fans, whether we are fans forum a survey, you know, a lot of fans are unhappy about the direction of club. They're happy about the match day experience. Like you know, it's not just keep saying this is not just about the product on the field, it's everything around it. It's the stadium, it's the music, it's the food, it's the merch, it's the engagement. You know, it's the it's even the content you put out, isn't it the non unleashed AI slop.
Speaker 2: You've actually got to talk to.
Speaker 1: Your summarize and look back round. The striking thing about the Huddersfield game at the weekend was the mixed reaction at halftime and the term that came into my head straight away was tone deaf. Yes, the leadership of the club are obviously tone deaf to what their people want, so that might be the same case at Saint Helen's too.
Speaker 2: That's all we've got. That was a long run. How can people get hold of you? John probably can get me on Johnny D.
Speaker 3: Davids can get me on Instagram at I think it's Johnny D. Davidson RL and on Facebook. John Davidson journalist. I should have a couple more stories. It's quite a few that I've put out in the last four or five days.
Speaker 2: Another one to come tomorrow and yeah, thanks everyone for the support and interaction of the POD.
Speaker 1: I'm a coach, so Rugby League Coach dot com. Dottay you admin at Rugby League Coach dot Comdutaus. My email at Rugby League Coach on Socials, apart from X which is at rol coach on the net. If you want to message me best on Instagram and Facebook or tag me in on X. That was a mammoth edition. I hope you stayed with us. Take care,