Speaker 1: Now Gangbusters presented in cooperation with police and federal law enforcement departments throughout the United States, the only national program that brings you authentic police case histories.
Speaker 2: Tonights Gangbusters percents the case of the Cincinnati narcotics ring who's deadly dealings in drugs spread across two nations until the Royal Canadian mount Is, the Federal Narcotics Bureau and Cincinnati Police cornered the ringleader in a final.
Speaker 3: Duel to death.
Speaker 1: Gangbusters has asked the Honorable Clem W. Murrs, Chief of Detectives of the Cincinnati Police Department, to narrate by proxy tonight's case. Chief Merz, I know the case you're going to tell us about tonight has an international flavor.
Speaker 4: That's true, Don Gardner.
Speaker 2: The most important it shows the effectiveness of cooperation between federal, local, and Canadian authorities despite the handicaps of international borderlines.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds as though you have quite a case for his Chief Mers. Why don't you start right in?
Speaker 2: All right, don Suppose we begin just a few months ago in the city of Toronto, Ontario, Late one night, two men were in a room on the fourth floor of a second rate hotel near the union station. One, a middle aged bald fella strangely nicknamed Sonny, sat on the edge of the bed, while the other, Big Jim Lebard, occupied the only upholstered chair in the room. After a moment, Big Jim got up, walked the dresser to poor drinks to bind the deal.
Speaker 3: They just close.
Speaker 5: Okay, Sonny, We'll have a drink on it.
Speaker 4: It's like it easy with mine.
Speaker 5: That's amount of sunny Canadian whiskey. Bites a little hard.
Speaker 4: All bites hard after you tease it too much.
Speaker 5: Hey, Sunny, may you make a fortune out.
Speaker 3: Of the deal.
Speaker 6: Much obliged Jim for wishing meda for you. You already made yours when Lick and.
Speaker 7: I took Nobody asked you to come here and buy you want. You got to pay the price. Well, here's luck, four one hundred piece.
Speaker 6: That's the first time I ever paid four hundred an ounce in the last here's the last.
Speaker 7: Look, Senne announce of heroin is just as hard to come by in Canada as it is in the States. And I'm the hottest guy in Toronto. Just now they got three kings warrants out for me. I should lay alone. If there is a deal I got to make.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, you may don't beef one do you deliver.
Speaker 3: When you're leaving?
Speaker 7: All you got to do is walk across the hall to my room. You can pick up the package anytime.
Speaker 6: What do you mean pick up the package? I ain't carrying thirty pieces over the border. You've got to deliver to Cincinnata.
Speaker 5: You take it with your Sonning?
Speaker 4: Who are you kidding?
Speaker 6: My understanding the deal was you delivered to Cincinnati. I ain't running no drugs across the border of any of my business.
Speaker 5: My business either Sentning not at four hundred an ouncident.
Speaker 4: Okay, you want delivered to Cincinnata. The deal's off. It's the matter with you.
Speaker 5: You made a deal, you stick to it.
Speaker 4: Not if I got to run the border, I don't.
Speaker 7: It'll cost you an extra one hundred apiece if I got to deliver to Cincinnata.
Speaker 4: Who do you think you're holding up?
Speaker 6: You an extra three grand for running the border with a two pound package?
Speaker 4: What do you think? I am crazy?
Speaker 7: You can run the border for nothing, Sonny. It won't cost you a dime.
Speaker 4: Okay, you robbed me. When do you deliver?
Speaker 7: It won't be in a hurry, it'll get there. Come on across the hall in my room. I'll show you what you bought.
Speaker 6: That's always a good idea of seeing what you buy.
Speaker 3: I have a look in the hall.
Speaker 4: It's okay, there's not a sol round.
Speaker 5: I didn't go Wait a minute, what back inside?
Speaker 3: Fast?
Speaker 7: Somebody is in my room. Did you see that light over the transom? I didn't leave no lights?
Speaker 8: Law?
Speaker 5: How should I know? We'll find out quick?
Speaker 4: Stick in here?
Speaker 7: What I get about fifty pieces of heroin over there? I gotta protect my investment because.
Speaker 4: You sent you'll duck that gun. You'll stick here. You don't get me involved.
Speaker 5: Kill need help and you're shot up?
Speaker 7: And open that door. Go on, the door was on latch. Walk across the hall, open up and jump back. O. Look, go on, hold it okay? Open all right? Well what are you after, assistant?
Speaker 9: I'm sorry. I must have made a mistake.
Speaker 3: In the rooms.
Speaker 9: Yes, I must be on the wrong.
Speaker 3: Come in and shut the door.
Speaker 9: Really, it is a mistake.
Speaker 7: As long as you made a mistake, you figured you might as well take advantage of the time. Is that why you piled up my clothes ready to go out the door with him?
Speaker 4: It is a gym. Maybe she's law.
Speaker 5: Law, she's a sneak thief. Ain't that right, sister?
Speaker 9: Please, I've never done anything before. Don't call the police. Please, what's your story. I'm stuck in Toronto. I want to get back home to Montreal. I had to get far somehow.
Speaker 5: So you picked on me. Huh.
Speaker 9: I didn't know it was you. I didn't care who it was. I tried every door. Please, don't call the police.
Speaker 4: Gym, she didn't find the you know.
Speaker 5: Don't worry. I had to take a good deal of looking.
Speaker 9: What's your name, Lucille, Lucille Beauve. You won't call the police?
Speaker 7: No, I don't think so. You're a little too pretty to rot in jail. I think I'll give you your lesson myself. This is what you need, A lot of it.
Speaker 3: You need.
Speaker 5: Had out to carll it, get.
Speaker 4: Rid of a gym.
Speaker 9: I wonder was paid to Montreal?
Speaker 5: All and walk it? Go on, get out?
Speaker 9: Oh all right, thanks, thank you very much, thank me for what for not calling the police? Goodbye?
Speaker 7: Wait a minute, yes, louse seal than you're saying, yes, how'd you like to earn car fair to Montreal?
Speaker 9: Earn it?
Speaker 5: How are you off your get restick your head out of this. What's in Montreal?
Speaker 9: That's home. I'm broke. There's no place else to go.
Speaker 7: You got a job, Lissen, I'm sure you have. Now go in there and get rid of those tears. I'll tell you all about it when you feel better.
Speaker 9: Okay, and there, yeah, go on? Thanks, thanks ever so much. You know you're really nice.
Speaker 4: How crazy can you get your.
Speaker 7: You have a sea such your eye as black as he has to spain?
Speaker 4: What do you want to get mixed up with a lousy, sneaky for.
Speaker 5: She was telling the truth, the first thing she ever tried.
Speaker 4: Oh were you kidding? They all got the same stories.
Speaker 5: Telling the truth, dreamed about running into one like her?
Speaker 4: How can a guy as how as you take a chance? How do you know what? She won't crack the lad of them, and that she finds out.
Speaker 7: You watch your thirty pieces delivered to Cincinnata, don't you what's that got to do with?
Speaker 5: Not much? Except little Louciale is going to carry him across the border for me?
Speaker 4: Oh well, I don't care how just as long as it gets across.
Speaker 7: It will Tomorrow you take a train to Windsor and you I'll drive with Lucial. You're checking at the Buckingham and Windsor you'll hear from me by Tuesday night.
Speaker 5: So I had never been on a trip across to the.
Speaker 3: States the seal.
Speaker 9: I've always wanted to go.
Speaker 7: Have your wish tomorrow, first thing in the morning. Let's have a drink, don't jim.
Speaker 9: Why do we have to lie to them? What do we have to tell them we're married? Oh?
Speaker 7: Say, it's a lot of unnecessary questions. Maybe that's soon for just a couple from Toronto going on a little vacation. There's nothing to do it we drive right across.
Speaker 9: Well, I suppose it's all right, sure, sir, Only I don't have the clothes to take a vacation.
Speaker 7: Where do we get across to Detroit? You'll get nice clothes.
Speaker 9: Honest. I can't get over it all, especially when I think I could have been in jail, could have done such a dumb thing.
Speaker 5: At least you picked the right room.
Speaker 9: You've really been swell.
Speaker 5: That's because I want to be. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 9: You, what's the matter?
Speaker 7: Should still keep your mu shut. Those two guys coming to cops and cops.
Speaker 4: I am a pretty good time, Big Jim.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, like a good time as well as.
Speaker 10: Any Oh ho was this Jim?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I had some trouble.
Speaker 11: By A couple of cops made me in the joint.
Speaker 4: I just did get away and lose the goods.
Speaker 11: I got the goods. It was in the car they hauled.
Speaker 3: In loose sial.
Speaker 4: So what lot they didn't get you with the goods?
Speaker 11: You've got a pencil handy.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Why, I'm going to give you the name of a lawyer.
Speaker 11: Get hold of him. Tell him to get a rid of make bond for anything.
Speaker 4: Are you kidding?
Speaker 11: I want her out?
Speaker 3: Do you hear?
Speaker 6: You don't need her to get the stuff across? And you know what, get that lawyer and get her out. You get on a train and head for Cincinnata. I'll see you there in a couple of days. Have my doll ready because I'm gonna need it. Don't forget the lawyer. You don't get out the thirty pieces.
Speaker 2: Canada Showdown the Fugitive Big Jim Lebard, a notorious Canadian dealer and narcotics, had the narrowest escape from capture. The next time he was face to face with police officers, a shower of bullets closed the gap between them.
Speaker 1: You were telling his chief Mers that the Canadian narcotics dealer Big Jim Lebard narrowly missed the rest and Windsor, Ontario, the night before he planned the smuggle thirty ounces of heroin into the United States.
Speaker 4: That's right down.
Speaker 2: But the police did pick up the girl, Lucille Beauvais, whom Lebard planned to use as an aid in the smuggling venture. There was no evidence against her, and she didn't even know the identity of Lebard, so she was released shortly after dark the next night, walked out of the House of Detention for Women a stranger in town. Lucille had no particular place to go, and she headed toward a brightly lit restaurant, which was the first thing she saw.
Speaker 3: She walked out of the jail door. Keep walking, keep your head straight.
Speaker 7: Tell me who you are about to tell him myself before idly leaping in an hour Victoria Cark bench under the Queen's stature. Make sure you aren't fallow. Change cabs a couple of times. Yeah, there's some dope.
Speaker 9: I don't know whether I want to eat you.
Speaker 5: Be there, I'll see you.
Speaker 3: M hm.
Speaker 11: Me back here me shadows.
Speaker 5: I wanted to see if you had the place set up with cops.
Speaker 9: You know, I wouldn't do anything like that.
Speaker 7: I didn't know. Mind if I come around and sait don no. Well what they tell you about me, I'm a pretty mean customer.
Speaker 9: Huh, that's what they said.
Speaker 3: Would you still like to go across to the States.
Speaker 9: To help you smuggle dope in the UK y.
Speaker 3: Cigarette?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 9: Thanks. I don't know what to think of you bringing me from Toronto wanting to take me to the States, especially when you caught me a robb in your room. I thought maybe you fell in love with me.
Speaker 3: Maybe I didn't.
Speaker 9: You wanted to use me, you had a purpose.
Speaker 7: I only wanted to use you. Why should I take the chance to meeting you tonight? They caught me in be ten years baby, At least.
Speaker 9: That's what they told me.
Speaker 5: Commit Please know, I said to commune please you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that looks like I just want to use you.
Speaker 9: How to go back home to Montreal?
Speaker 7: Can you think you're too good for me? Do you think a sneak thief is any better than I am? It's not that you come to the States with me when you know it all right? I want what are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: All right, you, I'll go with you, Sure you will. They're watching all the borders, Jim. I know they've got the US customs and the lookout. Oh you'll get cold.
Speaker 5: We have plans to change, baby, We're not going as tourists anymore.
Speaker 12: Now, come on, all right, hope, reach am I freezing?
Speaker 7: Hold yourself? Baby, got to keep my eye out of control? How much longer? I another fifteen minutes? Maybe you've gotta bice done.
Speaker 4: Getty's over the water, Oh Detroit.
Speaker 9: You looks in their looks like a good breach out for those sides.
Speaker 3: Fifteen minutes, Baby.
Speaker 9: That's fifteen minutes. Seems like a central getted door.
Speaker 3: What are you worried about?
Speaker 7: Doesn't turn around Mack at the patrol boat, Jim, he that looks like it.
Speaker 3: Get doing?
Speaker 4: Shut up?
Speaker 9: You know what are we gonna do? You?
Speaker 5: No one to keep quiet?
Speaker 3: Jim a week and keep quiet, stay al on the boat.
Speaker 5: Maybe there passes him before of the search.
Speaker 4: Shut up, Jim.
Speaker 5: Drop the package overboard, not on your life.
Speaker 4: Drop the package and I have us for nothing.
Speaker 5: I don't throw fifteen grand overboard.
Speaker 3: I fight for Jim.
Speaker 7: Please goes over Jim, watchhot, Mac, you will be the first to get shot.
Speaker 9: Averywhere what's going away?
Speaker 3: I think it is?
Speaker 4: It was it's a pressure cryed Jim.
Speaker 5: That was a squeaker.
Speaker 9: Well let's get to the right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go on row, Captain Leedarp Captain Agent Laney, the Narcotics Bureau Treasury Department is.
Speaker 3: Here to see you, Lady, lady. Is he from the Cincinnati office just the second Captain?
Speaker 1: Are you from the local office, Miss Laney?
Speaker 4: No, I'm out of Washington.
Speaker 3: He's from Washington. Captain.
Speaker 11: Ask mister Lanie to come in.
Speaker 3: Right through that door.
Speaker 8: Mister Laney, thanks, come in my name. Hello Captain, I'm glad to make you have a chair.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 4: I'm in Cincinnati on a special job. Captain.
Speaker 3: How can we help?
Speaker 2: Did you ever handle the narcotics dealer Sonny Wilton?
Speaker 3: Yes, we've hadl him.
Speaker 4: Do you know where I can put my hands on him.
Speaker 3: At the moment, But I'll put a couple of my boys to checking. Will do.
Speaker 2: But we're more interested in the guy he's been dealing with lately, Big Jim Labard a Canadian.
Speaker 3: You think he's in Cincinnati too? It's just a.
Speaker 2: Tip Canadian Mardys have been looking for him on three warrants narcotics cases. They picked up a boatman who's been running smugglers across the Detroit River. Their information is that Big Jim made a deal with Sonny and came to Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll be on the lookout for them. Both.
Speaker 2: Maddy's almost got their hands on this big gym last week. He saw them coming and ducked out of a bar. They couldn't shoot the kind of the crowd, but they did get a girl he was with. Oh how does she figure in it here? Well, they had no charge to hold her on. According the boatman, Big Jim just took her along when he smuggled in the narcotics.
Speaker 8: I see excuse me a second. Ask Mayor and stuff to step in here right away. Yes, sir, there are a couple of my best men on this kind of deal.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: We don't have too much to go on, Captain, But the Canadian authority is doing a little further checking on the girl. If they find out anything, we'll hear about it. They want Lebard and want them bad.
Speaker 9: Jim. What I don't feel like going out and drinking staying up all night again, tonight, I do. Do you think it's time we got out of Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: Sonny's friends are good people.
Speaker 9: To know them well, I don't care for them.
Speaker 5: We'll act like you care for him.
Speaker 9: This is business, Oh, Jim, I want to go home.
Speaker 5: I want to go to montre You don't stop nagging me about going home.
Speaker 7: I'll give you something really to nag about it. Jim made a lot of doors, Sonny a good chance to make more.
Speaker 9: We're not taking that boat trip again.
Speaker 7: Yep, you're gonna help with the lord more dope. No, you know something is just as hard to come by in Canada. Guns.
Speaker 9: Guns.
Speaker 7: Yeah, A lot of guys I know will pay a good price for a heater. And that's who we're taking back a good stock of guns.
Speaker 9: Didn't you make enough money?
Speaker 7: There's never enough money. And listen, baby, wake up when we get to that party. These are people I'm doing business with. I don't want them to think I got a corps traveling with me.
Speaker 9: All right, I'll wake up.
Speaker 5: Captain Hartman, Lady Narcotics Burea, Kevin.
Speaker 3: Oh, hello, Lennie, anything now?
Speaker 11: I think so.
Speaker 2: I just spoke to Washington. They got a message from the Canadian modern police. They had a mail cover on the home of the girl's mother.
Speaker 8: In Montreal, Oh a letter showed up from her mail from Cincinnati.
Speaker 11: Yeah, with a.
Speaker 2: Return address on Maple Avenue. I went by and looked at the building. It's a big apartment house.
Speaker 3: Uh huh. I suppose we put a plant there and wait for them to come out.
Speaker 4: That's all right with me.
Speaker 8: Okay, you come on buy here, Lennie, and we'll see what arrangements we can make.
Speaker 3: Hello, Lennie, how's it going.
Speaker 5: You haven't seen a soul that looks like a bard of the girl?
Speaker 4: Captain?
Speaker 8: Well, people living in the potting house stick here long enough will spot him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I suppose, so wait a minute, someone can be out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's not big Jim.
Speaker 8: Like I see if you know, it's not big Gym. But wouldn't you like Sunny said him. I could miss Sunny two blocks away. Come on right, let me handle this lady.
Speaker 3: I know him.
Speaker 8: Great, ahead, he's coming this way. That's stopped like a cigarette. Have one, thanks right, thank you?
Speaker 3: Where do you think you're going? Sunny?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 3: Police officers?
Speaker 4: Is that so?
Speaker 3: Where's big Jim?
Speaker 4: I don't know what you're talking about?
Speaker 3: He lives in that building, and you know it.
Speaker 4: Why don'd you go in.
Speaker 3: And get him.
Speaker 8: Okay, we're gonna not and every door, and you're going to be right in front of him. No, no, now, Look, you don't get me mixed up in this which is his apartment.
Speaker 6: He's got guns, he got plenty of guns. He'll use them. You don't get me to knock on his door, which is his apartment. So honey, h five, Look, don't take me up there, hold me and he'll use those guns.
Speaker 8: All right, all right, we'll see that. You get a nice seat on the sidelines, and that's where I want to be, on the sidelines. You'll keep your eye on him. Lene, I want to call downtown. Get a couple more men out here. We may need them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll say you will. Come on, Kevin, I'll watch him till you get back.
Speaker 3: What right over here and give me a hand with his stuff.
Speaker 9: Oh, Jim, I'm busy trying to pack.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 5: I me get the stuff out of that draw and into the cotton. Well, come on, Jim, I don't want to handle guns. Guns are the safest thing in the world. When you're not how to handle them.
Speaker 3: Come on, help me pack them.
Speaker 9: Are they loaded?
Speaker 3: Sure? They loaded? How good do you think they'd be if they would?
Speaker 9: I can't touch them.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go back to Mantreal. You'd give me your hand. No, listen, she might show you something. I mean, it's please.
Speaker 9: You heard.
Speaker 5: That's too easy. Now give me a hand.
Speaker 9: Who's that expecting anybody answers?
Speaker 3: You'll find out.
Speaker 9: Yes, who is it? Jim? It's Sonny him.
Speaker 11: He can give me a hand, all.
Speaker 9: Right, Sonny, Just a minute, Sonny, I thought you were.
Speaker 4: Police officers one side. Jim got him up?
Speaker 3: Quick watch he's gonna go yump, got up? I did it?
Speaker 5: Come on, Jim, it looks like he's throw Miss.
Speaker 9: I owed him so much.
Speaker 4: I can imagine they'd off call mambulance.
Speaker 3: All right, miss. Now let's have the story from beginning to end.
Speaker 2: That n was how Cincinnati police and agents of the Narcotics Bureau Treasury Department dealt with James Lebard, a dangerous fugitive from Canada. The girl Seal was deported to Canada to face various charges, and Sunny Wilton, the Cincinnati narcotics dealer, was held on a charge of parole violation and returned to prison to complete his term.
Speaker 1: While congratulations Chief Merz to all the officers Cincinnati, Federal and Canadian who showed such excellent coordination in bringing about an end to these dangerous criminals. The Night's Case was dramatized by Stanley Neiss and directed by William Sweets, with Frank Reddick and Susan Douglas in leading roles. Don Gardner speaking gang Busters as a phillips h Lord production