Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Well, that was a That was a weekend?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 3: That was a weekend?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 1: I saw Jim McDonnell up there behind the podium last night with his press conferences following the coverage all weekend long, and I just thought, Oh, what a mess for him, for the department, for the LAPD, because this is something that the LAPD has handled for a very long time. It's kind of a specialty of the LAPD. Certainly in the twenty years that I've been in Los Angeles, it has been something when you go back to the May Day protests of two thousand and six, what have you, two thousand and seven. You know, this is something that they are built for. That they have adjusted, they've pivoted, they've tweaked all of it to make and constantly train constantly. So this is this is what they do. They know how to handle these things. So the fact that this became a national political conversation, what a headache for the LAPD, what a headache for the local CHP what have you? And the fact that it's devolved into this pissing match between Newsom and Holman and Trump.
Speaker 3: Is unfortunate, but it is what it is.
Speaker 2: There's so much that goes into this.
Speaker 5: I saw the interview, the whole interview that Governor Newsom did with I believe it was at least it was aired on MSNBC. It was with an NBC reporter last night. He was standing in the County Office of Emergency Services.
Speaker 3: Is this the one where he says, come get me, tough guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, listen, I know that they want to flex each other's muscles and they want to rip their shirts off and talk about who's the tough guy is more? Is it more tough to be the most caring person in the room, or is it more tough to be the law enforcement officer in the room. This it's so tiresome, it's so ridiculous. And if you've got law enforcement officers who are at risk of being severely injured with these fireworks that are being thrown at them or the concrete blocks that are being thrown at them, they don't care. They don't give two rats asses about you, and you're flexing your muscles in some safe interview somewhere with somebody.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of what does this mean for me? How can I use this crisis for me?
Speaker 1: When it comes to both Trump and Holman and Newsom across the lines there, across all political lines. It was how can I use this to my advantage? And make no mistake about it. There was a conversation of can we make this bigger to prove whatever point further, whatever point we want to make to self serve.
Speaker 5: There's a potential, an ugly potential for it to benefit both sides by making this a bigger de ill. Yes, and that's so it all goes back to Friday. On Friday, there were immigration enforcement actions. You know, there's a lot that falls creates a big umbrella and a lot of things fall under that umbrella. But immigration enforcement actions that were taking place in the fashion district in Los Angeles on Saturday. Everybody was saying that they were running raids through a parking lot at a home depot, which is not true.
Speaker 2: That's not what happened on Saturday, but.
Speaker 5: It did get out of control because the lack of truth is what can spur these things out of control. There were events that took place on Friday night that prompted President Trump to say he was going to call in the National Guard and then prematurely credited the National Guard with putting things down, even though National Guard soldiers were not technically on the street until early yesterday morning.
Speaker 2: To me, that.
Speaker 1: Was a juvenile, semantic situation. When Gavin reposted Trump's thank you to the National Guard troops who had not descended yet on Los Angeles, but Knewsome pointing out that they weren't here yet, I don't know, it was kind of juvenile.
Speaker 3: In my opinion.
Speaker 1: A classier way to handle that was they hadn't gotten here yet. They're doing a great job, but our local law enforcement had things under control, something to that nature.
Speaker 5: Which would then, at least in that instance, give Gavin Newsom the ability to say, I'm respecting our local law enforcement by not making it about me or making it about some little, oh I beat.
Speaker 2: You on Twitter thing.
Speaker 5: It's the our men and women are doing just They're doing great with what they've been handled or what they've been given. Mayor Bass has already done interviews this morning. She has already gone and made the instant made the insistence that the LAPD is not overwhelmed, despite the word that Chief McDonald used last night in a news conference, there's a bunch of sound that goes into this.
Speaker 2: Bill A.
Speaker 5: Saley, the new US attorney for the Central District, was on with Conan Nolan over the weekend and explained specifically what the ice agents were doing, what was what went into the activities on Saturday, specifically in the city of Paramount, and it's it's ah, it's a frustrating, it's a it's a frustrating story to even talk about because so many people are so heated on both sides that nobody everybody's going to stick their fingers in their ears and walk around going blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I know what I saw, I know what I heard.
Speaker 1: There were a couple of ridiculous reports last night, but I don't want to spend too much time on it because I say ridiculous things all the time. When you're in a live situation talking about unfolding, breaking news, sometimes you say stupid s. But there was one that I just can't stop thinking about, just to add a little bit of levity. And I don't know what station it was, and I don't know what anchor it was or reporter, but I did hear it this morning and passing, and it was something to the effect of that protester has what appears to be a cheesecake. There was a local cheesecake factory in the area that was looted. We don't know how he got that cheesecakes A sound bites Oh.
Speaker 3: Okay, because I was just like I said in passing, I heard it, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, gold, gold, that is gold. Like, wrap it up and give that to me every day. And the fact that it's old is exactly why it was replayed years ago. God, I had never heard that before. Why have we not made use of that? Like you said, God, it was gold.
Speaker 5: People trying to fill time with words can often God, it was good.
Speaker 2: Get into the world.
Speaker 3: Oh, I loved it.
Speaker 2: We do it every day.
Speaker 1: That's what I said. That's how I went into that whole thing. I was like, I do it all the time. But I will say this, there is a protest plan for noon today and we'll talk about it.
Speaker 3: We'll stay on top of this.
Speaker 1: There are make no doubt about it, protesters being flown in. And when I say protesters, maybe not the people with the intent of the protesters that were first out there on Friday and Saturday, the thousands of people that were peaceful before the agitator stepped in. So we'll talk about that and what it could look like today because it has the potential for a lot more unrest this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Amy.
Speaker 5: More importantly, Yes, there is an eagle that has flown the nest.
Speaker 3: Yes, Gussy left the nest on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yes, Sorryja, is there a nickname? Now you know what.
Speaker 3: We had a break. We're going to come back and unpack that.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: We are standing by. Apparently LAPD is expected to have a news conference sometime this morning, before we know. Another protest is planned at about noon today. Also mentioned that Karen Bass did give at least one interview already this morning. Be playing parts of that for you as well as we get through whatever was going on over the course of this last few days, we'll see it looks like it could continue for the next few days. But, like you said, the coverage that made its way around the world over the course of the last seventy two hours, For example, in Australia.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 1: We begin with developing news out of Los Angeles, where tensions have reached boiling point, tear gas and and rubber bullets fired as protesters clashed with police.
Speaker 3: Are the immigration ride striper?
Speaker 2: She goes on and talks to it.
Speaker 5: But there will be people who come here specifically for this weird cosplay LARPing of what they think is standing up to the man or something.
Speaker 2: Whatever they do.
Speaker 1: Trump overstepping and throwing in the National Guard when everybody had things handled, and there will be people like, well it wasn't handled.
Speaker 3: There were cars burning.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we have handled cars burning when the Lakers have won the national championship in Los Angeles without the National Guard. But I will say this, giving Trump the benefit of the doubt, this is quite possibly the first time Trump has paid attention to any sort of unrest in Los Angeles. He has been in New York, He's been in the business world. He does not remember the May Day rallies that I remember covering here in Los Angeles in the past twenty years. He's been busy with his life and other things. So he sees Los Angeles having immigration protests and it's like, I got to send in the National Guard. There is a world in which that is true that he was not playing politics. That this is the first time Al was like, Oh, these are immigration protests, this is my immigration policy.
Speaker 3: I need to respond by sending in the National Guard.
Speaker 2: That can be true. Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 5: I think one of the things that he campaigned on this second time around also was he's not going to let it happen again. It being a as an example, a summer of protests that completely gutted the city of Portland or the occupied territory or whatever BS line it was that happened in the city of Seattle. He said repeatedly he would not allow that to happen, matter what the issue.
Speaker 1: Was.
Speaker 5: And this is right now the largest, most specific example of that where he's been able to do that and exercise that that campaign promise.
Speaker 1: It's not even a large when it comes to protests over immigration in Los Angeles, which is.
Speaker 2: Which is also interesting.
Speaker 5: Mayor Bass talked about this this morning on CNN. She referred to this as just kind of a Hey, just so everybody realizes, and you and I know this because we've been where these protests have taken place.
Speaker 2: It's not a large area.
Speaker 5: It's not we're not even talking about the I don't know tens of thousands of people that have taken part in other May Day.
Speaker 3: Protests, hundreds of thousands.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is an isolated kind of event.
Speaker 6: This is isolated to a few streets. This is not citywide civil unrest taking place in Los Angeles. In the streets downtown.
Speaker 2: It looks horrible.
Speaker 6: People committed crimes. It is absolutely unacceptable, and those people that set cars on fire or did other forms of vandalism will be sought to be arrested and prosecuted.
Speaker 1: She did a good job of keeping a cool head, and I know that she has to for a variety of reasons, but it's exactly right. Sometimes when they and the same thing happened with the fires's per perspective, When Los Angeles hits international news and they say Los Angeles is burning or Los Angeles is mired in protests, nobody has any sort of idea of what that means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody thinks Disneyland is about to burn.
Speaker 1: That the whole city is on fire. And this was just outside of city Hall. To give a little perspective the May Day protest I'm referencing from two thousand and six, more.
Speaker 3: Than a million people were protesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was a send in the National Guard situation, and you saw it in other cities too, Chicago, you know, but you know this is a Tuesday. I'm not watering down the reason they're protesting, or the fact that they're burning cars, and that is not the way you protest in this country.
Speaker 3: It is not legal.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not making excuses for anybody, and I'm not watering down the argument. I'm just saying, let's just objectively look at this and realize that we've got this in Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: There is a frustrating I think the most frustrating aspect of this from somebody who's not involved in those protests is the three different groups of people that you've got. You have people who are legitimately concerned about what they see as federal overreach when it comes to immigration enforcement. You want to have that argument, that's fine, and they want to protest peacefully. They want to carry the signs, they want to be out there. They want to even even this, which I completely think is degrading and awful way to treat humanity. They want to get up in the face of an officer and yell at them. They have the right to do that in this country. That's one group of people. You have another group of people who are simply there to stoke the fires literally in some cases, to call those Waymo taxis along the street there and then torch them, to try to burn those CHP cruisers that were on the one to one freeway down below with whateverat you know, burning traffic cones. That's the second group of people. They're the ones who want to stoke this thing till it gets violent. And then you've got this other third group of people that are involved, and they're the looky loose. They're the people who are walking around with their phones out like it like they're at the grove. I mean, they're just doing this as sort of a I want to be involved in this, but not so much that I want to possibly get hit with rubber bullets or tear gas or something. But I'm gonna still be there. I'm gonna go down and I'm just gonna look at everything.
Speaker 1: There is a whole community of people on social media that are citizen reporters.
Speaker 2: Whether it's TikTok, could you hear me roll my eyes harder than.
Speaker 3: That, it is what it is, and sometimes it's very helpful.
Speaker 1: Sometimes we look at all of those accounts when we're covering breaking news to see people that are at whatever event.
Speaker 3: We'll look at that footage.
Speaker 2: You call it me.
Speaker 1: I will say that this Kilmar Abrigo Garcia hill is not one to die on.
Speaker 5: This is another one of those things where again the description of what actually happened, for example, on Saturday, is so much less than everybody expected. It would be Bill a Sale, the new US Attorney for the Central District District of California, described what exactly was going on and who started what on Saturday. Well, we'll play some of that. We'll talk about this Kilmar Abrego Garcia guy as well.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: In San Diego yesterday playing carrying six people crash in the Pacific right there. Coastguards still investigating that one happened yesterday midday.
Speaker 5: I did see the coast Guard believes they did find a debris field, but they have not confirmed that in fact, it was the crashed.
Speaker 2: Plane that was responsible for.
Speaker 5: In I'm not even quite sure if there was a question, but Alberto Cavallo, the superintendent of La Unified has the answer to a question that may not have actually been asked, and he's just he's holding a news conference right now.
Speaker 1: Well, it's always a question about what they're going to do with the kids in the schools, because the kids in the schools always end up joining these protests. So LA Unified is always a question of what are they going to do, how are they going to handle this? Our class is canceled, all of that.
Speaker 5: Well, that he's talking specifically about fortressing buttressing. Yeah, LA Unified school campuses against immigration raids, right, which again I don't the.
Speaker 1: Old trope right of their going into the schools. They're going into the churches. That's what we heard, but with no real evidence of that.
Speaker 2: You want to listen to it for sure.
Speaker 5: Alberto Cavallo again, LA Unified School District Superta and let's.
Speaker 7: Bring that arm down and extinguish that flame, for we're no longer the light for the world.
Speaker 3: I am proud someone's running for office.
Speaker 7: Sounds like I am proud to call this city my city. I am proud of the fact that this board stands united and unified alongside community partners and elected officials in saying.
Speaker 2: Not on our watch Not on our watch.
Speaker 7: Shall people trample over children's rights?
Speaker 2: Not on our watch. Shall people be intimidated? Not on our watch.
Speaker 7: Shall we succumb to unreasonable pressures first to do that which is not human.
Speaker 2: Or humane or humanitarian. I'm one who.
Speaker 7: Believes that as an educator of many decades, we know and understand that public education democracy are two sides of the same American coin. Undermine one, the other will suffer. That is what's at stake. We will not waiver from our responsibility of protecting kids. Let me take a quick break to let you know who's with us today.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we'll stay on top of that. We have seen that in the past. This protest is supposed to get underway at noon. We have seen and I would put money on it that we'll see it again today. Exodus of kids walking out of classes prior to noon or what have you. It just it always works its way into the schools. Maybe I'm wrong, No, I.
Speaker 5: Think you're right. I mean I'm curious to see what, like you said, which office Carvallo is interested in attaining next?
Speaker 3: But yeah, what is the launch pad superintendent to what?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 1: Is he an attorney ag that might not be a bad Let's let's find out about his background.
Speaker 5: One of the things that is going on today is Governor Newsom has said that the state will be suing President Trump, saying that the President illegally acted in order to federalize National Guard during these protests. At this point, we don't know if the lawsuit had been filed. All he said last night at an interview was that the lawyers are working on the briefs. Of course, the a c LU we keep referring to this rally that's scheduled for noon today. The ACO you called for a peaceful rally at noon today in a downtown park to demand the release of a union leader who was arrested Friday during a protest at a federal detention center. David Guerta is the president of Service Employees International Union California. He is scheduled to make a court appearance today. They say that rallies are also going to take place in more than a dozen cities throughout the country, Atlanta, New York, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: According to SCIU.
Speaker 5: We were not the only ones in Los Angeles that had protests of some amount yesterday. In San Francisco police up there arrested about sixty people, including juveniles, in a protest in the Financial District in San Francisco. Two officers were injured, and they said that there was a very significant property damage throughout the Financial District.
Speaker 1: All right, again, we will stay on top of this all of the news coming out of any of the protests and as they developed this after noon. But Amy King's Gizzy. Is that a nickname for the eagle that flew the nest along with her sister Sonny this weekend? Is that a name you came up with, or is that the entire community that is named Gizmo Gizzy.
Speaker 8: I've heard Gizzy, and I guess I'm saying because I've just never been crazy about Gizmo.
Speaker 3: I still like Rocky. Yeah, but yeah, So it's Gizmo. It's Gizmo.
Speaker 8: She flew for the first time on Saturday, so she was in the nest. Sonny of course left a few days earlier and then has come back and left a couple of times. And Gizmo was practicing. So she did that thing where she flaps her wings real hard and kind of hovers for a little bit and then kind of runs and hops across the nest and stuff, and it looks like she was in the process of doing that and kind of missed the edge of the nest and out she went. But the good thing was she flew like a champ over to a tree next door and had an expert landing and hung out there for a couple of days.
Speaker 3: Next That is excellent news.
Speaker 1: I'm glad all is going well and the milestones are being met out of the nest in Big Bear. The President is taking questions as he returns to the White House. We will bring you that. It's happening right now as we speak. We're rolling on it and we'll play it for you when we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: A lot going on throughout the city of Los Angeles. A few days worth of protests that had turned violent in some instances. A lot of damage, a lot of damage in and around the downtown core area around City Hall, including those five Waymo taxis that were all burned to just a ashy hulk.
Speaker 3: And those are electric vehicles, are they not?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I say, they just continue to burn and burn. If I was going to say something on fire. That would be the first thing I said on fire, just as.
Speaker 5: You know, to show my distribution maximum.
Speaker 1: Well, well, I mean they're stupid. I don't like driverless cars. It takes away jobs and I think they're stupid, and I would set that on fire.
Speaker 5: Well, they're stupid enough to have been called into the middle of the heat and you know, not realize that they were in danger.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's good. Maybe we don't want those cars thinking for themselves.
Speaker 4: We do not.
Speaker 3: That's why I want to set them on fire as well.
Speaker 5: We are waiting to hear from LAPD. We expect that the chief will be holding a news conference. He did last night. He actually used the word overwhelmed, which I don't Nobody really pressed him on the word that he was referring to LAPD being overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: At certain points, that is not a word that goes over well with any law enforcement agency.
Speaker 3: And there's a reason why you're basically.
Speaker 1: Saying if you're saying an agency is overwhelmed. And I have firsthand knowledge of this when I was a reporter and I was covering the worst shooting in Orange County history at Salon Maritage and Seal Beach and I went on the air with John and Ken and I said that the Seal Beach Police.
Speaker 3: Department seemed overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: And I had a very stern conversation with one of the leaders of the Seal Beach Department who said to me, you don't say that, and here's why. And the reason was, I wasn't saying that the department, and we had a good conversation about it, that the department was overwhelmed. That's so what I meant. I meant that Seal Beach Police is so intertwentwined in the community that it would be impossible to work that scene. There's no way it is impersonal to any of those officers. There's no way you can separate what you do from your life in that kind of a situation.
Speaker 3: And that's what I meant.
Speaker 1: I wass saying that they were overwhelmed in a duty sense, because that is a very big slight to use, a gross underestimation of what that is when you say that to a department, that's not what that is.
Speaker 3: The LAPD was not overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: They've dealt, as we pointed out this hour, they've dealt with much bigger problems than what they faced over the weekend.
Speaker 5: One of the things that's sort of adding fuel to this fire from both sides is the President's insistence that the National Guard be activated without going through the governor's office. That happened on Saturday, and a few hundred National Guards troops are.
Speaker 2: On the ground here in La. Now.
Speaker 5: The option is to go for as much as I think it's six hundred is the number now, but that they could call in two thousand, and that they could be asked to stay on duty basically for sixty days. I don't think it's going to happen. That would be the maximum, but I don't think that's going to happen now. This prompted Governor Newsom to be upset, and he says he's going to file suit against the federal government and Donald Trump specifically for doing that. Tom Holman, the White House advisor that's in charge of enforcement for ICE, had said that if Gavin Newsom and or LA Mayor Karen baskets in the way, that they could be arrested.
Speaker 2: So today, President Trump.
Speaker 5: On his way back into the White House, was just on the lawn of the White House and was shouted questions at by the reporters that had gathered can't hear the very first part of it. One reporter refers to Tom Holman suggesting that he would arrest Gavin Newsom if he did something to interfere with the federal agents.
Speaker 2: Should he do so?
Speaker 5: And the President said I would if I were him. Gets a little bit easier to listen to, or a little bit easier to hear when he says that Gavin Newsom is a good guy, when it says, oh, let me push that button, not button.
Speaker 4: Because I like the avenues and he's a nice guy. But he's grossly incoonfidence. Everybody knows. All you have to do is look at the little railroad he's building. It's about a hundred times over budget. We're putting a flag fall over there under budget. I always do under budget.
Speaker 2: Here, what if you're intel?
Speaker 3: Tell you about the people causing all the problem?
Speaker 4: You know, they are the people I just trying to deport.
Speaker 5: Are they professional adjucate.
Speaker 4: People that are causing the problem?
Speaker 6: Are professional agitators, They're insurrectionists.
Speaker 1: They're bad people.
Speaker 4: They should be in jail.
Speaker 5: And then he goes on it's important to point out he used the term insurrectionists if he calls the military, specifically the Marines that are supposedly staging and standing by down at Camp Pendleton. The only way he can do that legally, or one of the slivers of ways that he could do that legally, is if he invokes the Insurrection Act and if he refers to them as insurrectionists. Yes, that is a step closer to doing that. I don't think we'll ever see marines on the streets of LA in a law enforcement capacity like that.
Speaker 2: That brings.
Speaker 5: That brings a whole new level of hell to the legal fight and to what it means for this country. So I don't think the Marines are coming. I do think it is a saber rattling move on the part of Pete Hegseth and Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Thank you're right.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks was out there all weekend, all day yesterday, and we'll join us about what he saw first Ham when we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 5: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.