Speaker 1: The right fust.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 1: Scam is back. Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Sax and Cakes in the a app BA go with Proway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app.
Speaker 3: We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 1: Well put the champagne back on ice as the Yankees have forced a Game five in this World Series. Hello Southern California and good morning Tim Kates, along with two World Series champ Rookie of the Year and our favorite number three, the one and only Steven Sacks. Saxy. Good morning, what up?
Speaker 4: Tim?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Sky is falling to my house? Saxy? Really, what should have been a celebratory night in the Kate's household had to put the champagne back on ice and get ready for a Game five, which we have now got a great pitching matchup with Garrett Cole and Jack Felarity. Not the ideal situation for the Dodgers last night, having to go to a bullpen game, but it is what it is. With their starting rotation. We knew that going into this postseason, and for the first time in this postseason, the Dodgers' inability to put together back to back to back relievers and have that that chain of relievers, as you say, for the bullpen game worked for them. Did not pay out last night, No, did not well.
Speaker 4: Lots of times, Tim, you can you can tell what the real temperature is with the everybody around you by asking the animals. So I want to know what Midi and Lady had to say about that. You know they might have been affected a little bit about the outcome of the game. Those are Tim's dogs.
Speaker 1: By by the way, the dogs were not too happy about the loss last night, and most importantly they can see it in my reaction to how the game is evolving, inning too, inning out to out, and you know the grand Slaine by Vulpy and then the five spot they put up late in the game. They sort of looked at me like, this isn't good, is it?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, I game the nod This isn't hey. Look it comes down to now you got your best stuff going. You know, you got your two best start. Well, I don't know you can talk about Bueller, but you got everything locked and loaded because everybody's on deck. Yankees yesterday what really told the tail as their bullpen was magnificent. You know, after heel had come out of the game, it was Yankees bullpen that was pretty darn stellar. Allowed nothing across for the Dodgers. The bottom, you know, seven through ten for the Yankees were five for ten with seven RBIs and six runs scored. Okay, this was a lot to do with people not named Stanton and Judge. This was the guy's at the bottom of that order, you know at Volpeve or do Go and and such, and they were just on it last night. Okay, so you chalk one up to the Yankees. We all knew that this wasn't going to be easy. I picked at the onset the Dodgers in six. We're only at five right now. Okay, So the Dodgers, they're not panicking. They're in good shape. But What about that chump down the right field line that tried to pry the ball out of Mooki's glove. I almost wanted to jump through the TV and just you know, put a little karate size on that sucker. I mean, I couldn't.
Speaker 1: Believe what he was doing.
Speaker 4: He was actually thinking pulling the glove apart, reaching in, and his chump friend was grabbing Mookie's hand. I mean, Mooki could have yanked that guy down in the field and it would have been all good, right, I mean, this was crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never seen fans really assault a player like that for a ball played down the line. Sure, you see fans go for the ball. All the hands kind of go up at the same time with an outfielder as they all try to get for the baseball, But for rookie Betts to catch the ball, and they didn't have Austin cappa Bianco and his friend John Peter one grab Mookie's non glove hand and the other grab the glove and take the ball out of there. It wasn't like they were fighting for the ball, right, he caught it. Wookie caught that ball. I don't know who they were trying to to show that. Oh what, we knocked the ball out, so it's a foul ball. I mean, you have twenty five million people watching this game outside of the fifty thousand that are there at Yankee Stadium. Were you trying to fool not fooling anybody? Right, That was the stupidest thing I've seen in a sporting event in a long time. And we talked about in the NLDS that Jerks and Profar home run in which the fans did attempt to go get the ball and Mookie Betts hit it to left. Profar goes Rob's Mookie the home run down the short porch at Dodger Stadium along the left field line. Yeah, well we were talking about is if he reaches in there, you have a chance to go get the ball as well. Don't back away from trying to get the ball. Nobody ever said assault the guy. Nobody ever said try to karate, chop his arm off, or hold his arm to prevent him. You can make attempt for the baseball. If he reaches into the stands, you have fair game just like he does. But to go after a guy's glove, try to rip the ball out and then to hold down and pen his other arm. That's a salt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's crazy. And Mooki handled it with such grace after He's like, look, hey man, this is what it is. I'm not worried about that. We got to get ready for tonight tomorrow night, and Mooki handled it with grace because he's a classy guy. You know, I don't know what I would have done. I only had one remembrance of this in Saint Louis when I struck out in the NLCS. Coming back to the dugout, the guy doused me with the gi giganic beer, a sixteen ouncer, and you know, I was headed for the stands. I wanted to get that dude. But you know, Mickey Mooki handled it with very much class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's sort of an example of the fight the Yankees showed last night. The fans showed the fight in the stands, and the Yankee players last night were aggressive and they had to be saxey. Down three to zero, they had nothing else to do but go out there and fight for their World Series lives. And you saw the aggressiveness at the plate. You saw some of the plate discipline as well, and that's going to go towards aggressiveness, getting on base, passing that baton the base stealing, putting the pressure on the Dodgers defensively, and the Dodgers a couple of miscues that we have not seen in this postseas certainly not in the first three games of this World Series. Good pitching, and you saw he'll get into a rhythm against the Dodgers, who started striking out in great quantities last night in that game four. The tide flipped at least for one game last night. Defensively on the bass, pass, the pitching, and certainly the offense. Everything went right for the Yankees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he Luis Hill, who led the league in walks this year, Right, this guy walked more hit ors. So you think, you know, as part of the Yankees, but the Dodgers plan to get in to him, kind of stretch him out a little bit. And this is a guy that you don't you do want to work the count on because he has a tendency to go deep into counts and to walk guys. And that's right up the Dodgers alley. So he was able to temper that down and keep the Dodgers at bay. But this is this is just one game. Now they're going to retool and get ready for this one. This is the best version of the Dodgers are going to throw at them with these two starters, and then Bueller of course as well if he's needed. So everybody's gonna be on deck.
Speaker 1: Now, what about momentum, Saxe. Can momentum go game to game or is it as deep as the starting pitcher the next day? And that's where momentum starts and stops, because if you start looking at this series first three games, Dodgers riding high, they had all the right hits, they had all the right things fall in place for them, and last night Anthony Voltby's Grand Slam, and all of a sudden, you kind of feel like that mo has shifted towards the Yankees.
Speaker 4: You know what I feel? Yes, it is. The momentum is a big, a bit fickle. It can go either way with one big hit. The Yankees did need that one big hit, and they got it from Volpe. Okay, with that being said, you know, the Dodgers started up with another home run by Freddie Freeman, So you know, this thing just kind of went back and forth. But we'll see tonight who gets that big hit, and look, if the Dodgers get out to an early lead, they can just bury these guys. This can be just a just an absolute trouncing tonight if the Dodgers get off to an early lead. So I think that's gonna be one important thing going into tonight's game. Get out there and score early. Yeah, the Dodgers lost that momentum.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers last night got that early momentum thanks to Freddie Freeman hitting a home run in his sixth World Series game. Going back to twenty twenty one when he was with the Atlanta Braves and he hits that two run home run in the first inning off a heel and Man Saxually, I immediately thought, this thing is over. It's two nothing. Momentum strikes again for the Dodgers. Freddie Freeman hits another home run. I don't care if it's a bullpen game or not. They've got this one. They've got good pitching lined up in case they need to go to the high leverage relievers. Dave Roberts talked about it before the game yesterday. He said, who we go to is all gonna be dictated upon how the game goes. So if we fall behind, you're gonna see the low leverage relievers. You're gonna see a lot of innings soaked up from Land and Neck and Ben Casparius and Brent Honeywell Junior, which we ended up seeing last night because of the score. But he said, if we jump out to the lead, if we get to a certain point in the game where I can start deploying my high leverage relievers to get to twenty seven outs, then that'll be the plan. And as the plan played out, they were down five to two in the third inning. He waited and waited hope the Dodgers offense would get back into it. It was five to four, five and then the Wells home run in the sixth inning. Yeah, that solo shot that Wells hit in the sixth off of Land and Neck. It wasn't a backbreaker, but man, that little momentum the Dodgers got back in the middle of the game, Wells took it right back for the Yankees, and you kind of felt like, all right, it's back to a two run deficit. It's gonna be hard to get over this hill.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And the thing about this too, is you see Verdugo swinging the bat pretty good. Wells. I didn't see that with him earlier in you know, in any part of the series, that he stunk it up. Yeah, he really did. But he swung it good yesterday. So if that's the best that he can bring out, it's pretty darn good if he can swing the bat that way. What I don't like right now, Tim, is you're starting to see Aaron Judge kind of inch his way forward. He's not out there fishing for the balls, just off the fringes of the plate. He lined a good hit yesterday, and I just don't want to wake that cat up. I know it's getting really deep into the series, but you don't want him vibrant and able and doing his thing last couple of games because he can change the whole thing. You don't want that guy awakened because he's trouble.
Speaker 1: He got a hit late in the game, he got hit by a pitch. He walked in his first at bad and I think it's right there where maybe it turned for him and he kind of woke up out of the postseason sleep that he has been in, especially in this World Series. With one out, Juan Soto walks and that brings up Aaron judge against Ben Caspirius, and right away it becomes a two to two count. Fouls off a fifth pitch, ball three, not even ball three, not even close. Fouls off another pitch, a slider. So he's seen slider, fastball, slider, fastball. He's seen what Ben Casparius has got. And on the eighth pitch of the at bad as you just alluded to, a fastball little outside wasn't much, wasn't on the black, but called ball four. He didn't chase a fastball, just off the outside part of the plate, and he draws a walk. At that point, I kind of thought to myself. I even said it out a loud and said, there he go. That's his first at bat. You kind of feel like he's locked in now.
Speaker 4: And usually when somebody kind of gets rolling, it's it can be just in a bat where you're seeing the ball really good. I know that there was times where I was really struggling and something would click where you just find a point of relaxation and you say, okay, that's how I have to settle down. And then the pitch comes through and you see it really really well. You go, oh, okay, now I'm onto something and bang, there it goes. It doesn't even have to be a hit that comes about. It can just be you're seeing the ball good and then the hits come. Maybe that's what Aaron Judge is doing right now.
Speaker 1: Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is our number. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We got a busy show this morning. Your phone calls coming up in the first hour, all show long for that matter. We're gonna hear from Mookie Bett's coming up the bottom of the hour. We're gonna hear from Freddy Freeman, who is red hot in this world series. Coming up in the seven o'clock hour, get into showey Otani, who is now two for fifteen in this world series, and I get it, he's playing with the bat shoulder. But shoey Otani's offense has taken a dip here in this world series and they needed him last night in a couple of crucial evats. We'll get into that. Jeff Nelson, four time World Series champion with the Yankees, longtime reliever, now works for the Yankees broadcast on the Yes Network. He's gonna join us in the seven o'clock hour. David Vasse is gonna join us in the eight o'clock hour that is coming up later on, as well as Steve's Keys to a game five win eight sixty six ninety seven to two, five seventy eight sixty six, ninety seven to two, five seventy is our number. We'll take a break, we'll come back. Your phone calls, and we'll hear from the manager, Dave Roberts at night in which the Dodgers were ready to celebrate. Dodger fans were ready to party, but instead the Yankees win Game five, eleven to four at Yankee Stadium, and now it's a three to one series lead for the Dodgers. Game five coming up tonight. Your phone calls Dave robertson more thanks for being with us. It's Sax and Kate to the am on a five to seventy I Sports. It's Sax and Kate to the am a five to seventy LA Sports. On this Wednesday morning in October thirtieth, the World Series rolls on as the Yankees win Game four last night, eleven to four is the final. The Dodgers with a bullpen game last night, starting with Ben Casparius. The twenty five year old rookie right hander who pitched in three regular season games and pitched last night in his fourth postseason game for the Dodgers. Did not pitch bad, just gave up the one run. The Dodgers took an early two to nothing lead thanks to Freddie Freeman's to run home run in the first inning. But Saxy last night a bullpen game for the third time in this postseason, and we've seen it work twice, absolutely beautifully for Dave Roberts in the NLDS Game four against the San Diego Padres. It worked out perfectly in San Diego helped the Dodgers get back for a Game five win against the Andres. We saw it in Game six of the NLCS at Dodger Stadium when they closed it out against the New York Mets. And last night the third time they deployed this bullpen game in hopes of getting a close out win in a series. Albeit it wasn't their high leverage bullpen relievers, they did throw out Ben Kisparius and then Landon Nack. We saw Brent Honeywell Junior as well, so he feels pretty good about where he stands right now going into Game five day Roberts and this bullpen and the high leverage relievers like tring And and crew. This here from the manager Dave Roberts post game last night after the Game four loss. I don't mean this is sound flipped.
Speaker 6: Did this outcome in terms of pitching playout as well as Absolutely?
Speaker 7: Absolutely. I don't think anyone expected those guys to lay down, and we had some at bats that I thought could have been better, but we knew it was a bullpen game. And you know, as far as outcomes to have, you know, six guys in your pen that are are feeling good, rested. I feel good about that and being up three to one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how do you feel about the bullpen for the rest of the series, especially since I think you used more guys last night than you did tonight.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I feel great. I feel great. It's about you know, the guys that you have available. Some of those guys are they're all rested, so we have guys that can do up doown. So where we're at with tomorrow, knowing there's an off day behind that, where we're in a great spout with leverage relievers.
Speaker 6: I'm guessing you must be glad that this is the last time in the playoffs you have to do this. You have actual starters for the next three games.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, exactly, absolutely, Dave.
Speaker 8: After that fifth inning, you guys are only done a run. Like how challenging is It's kind of bad and so out whether you want to right anack for a couple of ratings as opposed to maybe going some leverage.
Speaker 7: Guys, it's it's challenging. I think that you've got to be certain that you can score some runs. There's certainly any guy that we use tonight would would would have not been able to pitch tomorrow. Landon actually threw the ball very well and then when they got you know, I thought his work was done for any smosy stone in quite some time. And being down to going into the uh that last half, it just doesn't make sense to use one of your leverage you guys.
Speaker 8: And Otani, what are you seeing from it at bats? And is the shoulder kind of messing up something, you know?
Speaker 7: I mean we've asked him many times over and it's not impeding. He doesn't feel it. I just think it's just the chase you see it. I mean, there's some bigot bats that you know could result in a walk and not taking the base and chasing is uh, you know, hasn't been good.
Speaker 5: I did just stop following up on Otani's well, how about on the beast paths? But how can how do you evaluate his his beast running with the shoulder.
Speaker 7: I think it's been fine so far. You know, he actually slid tonight, So I don't think that it's it's been a problem. I mean, he's not going to be stealing bases, but I wouldn't think. But I think it hasn't been too much of a problem right now.
Speaker 5: Just with your experience with up being down three to zero, if you were on the other side, like you mentioned yesterday, what's the feeling in the clubhouse on your side now, Like, do you guys kind of feel like you, you know, maybe lost one, like obviously you did lose them, but like let one.
Speaker 7: Go today or no? No, I mean I think that they they beat us. Volpi took a good swing, they took advantage of a couple free passes. They tacked on later. I do think that at bat wise, I think we could have done some things to get in their pen a little bit earlier. But again, at the end of the day, We're still in a pretty good spot and we feel good. We'll be ready to go tomorrow.
Speaker 1: All right, there's Dave Robbers last night, sexely a couple of things. I'm tired of people on social media, least calling out Dave Roberts or punting the game last night, and not a punt. No, it wasn't at all. He was reading the moment of the game and how the game was playing out, and he decided to keep going with Land and Neck as he did in a one run game. Alac gives up Neck, gives up a home run to Wells in the six It still makes it only a two run game. I know it's kind of felt more than that in the moment, but it was only six to four. And the eighth innings, certainly they busted a wide open off of Honeywell and they score five runs on four hits, and the end result it is an eleven to four win. But for the first six, six and a half innings, it's a one run it's a two run game. You're right there, Dave Roberts. You can hear the frustration, even with Otawani, the frustration about chasing pitchers last night. He wanted his offense to get going. He felt like there were a couple hits away from getting back in this game, and then he can go to his high leverage guys.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, he read the moment. It's what it is. They lost the game. I mean, does how do you explain away any loss? I mean, you're not gonna win every freaking game. It's not gonna happen. And you know, he talked about the chase he saw the first pitch of the game. The ball was way high out of the strike zone. O Tani chase it. He was trying to ambush the guy as they say, Hey, I got no problem with being aggressive if you want to tighten up the zone. But you know what, let's just let this thing breathe a little bit. It's fine. I want to say another thing too, is we hear a lot you know about Landon Nak and whatever. If you took any of the Dodgers pitchers and say, hey, their line is going to be four runs and they're gonna give up one run, would you take that with would you take that with Euler? Would you take it with with anybody?
Speaker 1: In a heartbeat?
Speaker 4: That was Landon knackc yesterday. Landon Knack pitched four innings, he gives up one and run. He was really good and like you said, he threw the ball very very well. I think the real crux of the whole thing for the Dodgers says, Yeah, they they kind of missed the zone a little bit with their pitchers. They give up six walks. If you give up six walks in a game, you're probably gonna lose because these guys are gonna score. You try to limit those walks and free passes as much as you can, especially with this Yankee team that can really score runs or run differential throughout the course of the year was enormous. I think it was second to the Dodgers. It was one fifty seven. I think the Yankees were right behind them. But this is team that can score runs in bunches. They got big dudes on that team that can do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Let's let's not let the offense last night get a break here, because the Dodgers last night with runners in scoring position just weren't very good. One for seven with runners on base. It's not like they had a ton of them. They only had four runners left on base the entire game. Meanwhile, it felt like there was traffic on the base pass almost every inning. I know it wasn't every inning. There was some clean innings for Landonnack there in the middle, but it just felt like the pressure from the Yankees every time they were up. They were four for fifteen with runners in scoring position. They had fifteen at bats with runners either at second or third or in scoring position, and they had six guys left on base. That's a lot of traffic on the bass pass to maneuver and to walk that tightrope for nine innings if you're a Dodger bullpen game. And they did okay getting around that except for the Honeywell inning, but that's a lot of AB's fifteen with runners in scoring position for the Yankees, you think.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna score it. Look, they only have to be right once or twice, and you saw that with the with the grand Slam from Vulpe. That's the time where they were right and that's four runs right there. So you know, Daniel Hudson didn't pitch his best game. I'll tell you what, I'd run him out there again. I have a lot of belief in Daniel Hudson, but he was missing the zone and that that's kind of you know, he was getting behind hitters, and when you do that with the with the Yankees, it's it's gonna be problematic. But what I think was really good about the Yankees yesterday was their bullpen. I mean, they really got to heal four in needs pitch, they give up four and runs, they hit a couple of dingers off and you're gonna, okay, yeah, you know, we got this thing figured out. But from there on in it was Hill and Holmes and lighter Weaver and Masa. These guys just gave nothing up. They just shut the whole thing down. So you got to tip your cap, you know, to the Yankee bullpen. Okay, you got this one. But the Dodgers in a great position right now. Sands maybe some momentum, but that can switch. That can switch in the top of the first Dodgers go out and score two or three, and they can just with everybody on board today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I brought the offense. You know, I don't want to give them a free pass. They've been brilliant, there's no doubt about about it. Yes, but there's one guy in particular that is struggling, and that's Max Muncie. Last night, punched out three times, he drew a walk. Okay, that's Munsey in a nutshell home run, walk or strikeout. That's kind of what his mo is. But how was he before that? How many he got on base? Twelve times in a row? I guess it was, Yeah, that's true the postseason, right, twelve and bats in a row he got on base.
Speaker 4: It was incredible. It was Munsey that we were talking about. That was leading the charge. He was passing the torch, he was hitting, ding, he was doing all of it. Okay, So now he's kind of cooled a little bit, But that's okay. I mean, you'd want it different, But we have a team here. You got a whole team of guys that can do this. We don't talk anymore about the slumping Mookie bets. Mookie's feeling feeling it big time out there and he and he's doing great. Of course, Freddy Freeman if they win tonight, Freddy Freeman is going to be the MVP, no question about it. So you've got the whole team doing in the bottom part. The seven, eight to nine for the Dodgers at times, not every time, but at times has been really good. So this is still a good momentum thing. The Dodgers got moving here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I look at their limited opportunities last night with runners in scoring position. We talked about four fifteen with the Yankees. The Dodgers were one for seven with runners in scoring position in a tight game. That was one run, two runs all the way till the eighth inning. So you're right there, the big hit it can change things. And I look at the one for seven with runners in scoring position, and who are those hitters that came at the up in those situations. Well, Freddy was one for two, he hit the home run. That's that's the one of seven right there, the two run home run the first inning. Outside of that, Freddie Freeman came up with another opportunity the runners in scoring position and did not come through. Mookie Bets was zero for two with runners in scoring position. And showey Otani, oh for one, you're big. Three. We're a combined one for five with runners in scoring position. Yep, that's you know, those are your guys you're counting on. You need them to get the big hits. Not a home run every time, but they need to come up with a big hit. One for five, you're big three in Game four of the World Series. Gotta be better than that. Yeah, and that's baseball.
Speaker 4: And if they and if they get two hits, you know the first two times up now there, Now they're three for seven and and you kind of, you know, look at all look at the whole thing in one bucket, and you think, wow, these guys are doing pretty good now. So it can shift from one for five to to now they're three for seven. I mean, they're really they're really cranking it. So we'll see what happens tonight. I think that I really think the Dodgers are in a great spot. They got that monkey off their back by saying, Okay, it's gonna be a sweep and they don't have to worry about that. Okay, so no big deal. I mean, you still Yankees got to come out win three straight, including two back in LA and I just don't see that happening. But you got to put the pedal to the medal tonight and bury these guys. The only thing that Dodgers should be looking forward to when they're going back to LA on that plane is a parade, not Game six. They're gonna to think about a parade, and that's how they're gonna do it tonight.
Speaker 1: Let's go out to the faults. Eight sixty six, ninety seven, two five seventy. I can already feel the from Dodger fans on this Wednesday morning. Let's start off with Sylvester and Ingle would good morning. You're on in Saxon, Kates and the am. How you doing?
Speaker 9: Hey, good morning guys. Great to finally get on, get on with you, longtime listener, first time.
Speaker 1: Caller, right on, next for calling that, go on, go ahead, Sylvester, what's your thoughts?
Speaker 10: Oh man?
Speaker 9: So honestly, it's it's great to see these guys really, you know, play fall baseball. It's different, you know, fundamentally. I mean we had a lot of close a lot of close plays at first base, at home plate. Man, those things were and and the staff, the Dodger staff there their work, they're doing their their their work.
Speaker 1: It's great, all right, Sylvester. I appreciate it, Dodger fans. I didn't get any better than that. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. We got ourselves in series. Now it's three one. The Dodgers weren't just gonna coach through this beast is seven World Series. Maybe we thought they were gonna sweep last night. Maybe we were hoping they were gonna sweep with the win last night over the Yankees. But the Yankees came back with a jab and it hit to the face, and they've stunned this Dodgers team a little bit. Now, how do they react to getting a hit back? They were the aggressor in this fight the first three games. They were the ones landing to punches against the New York Yankees in these first three games. But the Yankees weren't gonna go quietly. They got an eight count, but they got back up. And now they've hit the Dodgers back in the face. And that's how how the Dodger's gonna react.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is this is a you know what I like about this. You're not gonna see any panic in the dugout. This is a professional team and this is part of the journey. It's it's not gonna be perfect. You know, it's not gonna go straight up, So you're gonna have to to deal with this. And they will that. This isn't gonna make them flinch whatsoever. In that locker room, they're thinking tonight, is it and I think they're gonna bring it tonight. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to see a little fire though, in the belly of this Dodgers.
Speaker 4: You know what, I'd like to see tim between unit because I know you and I are the only ones the scene.
Speaker 1: Right We're the only ones right here between you and me.
Speaker 4: I want to see the Dodgers put the speed element back in the game, like like Edmund did yesterday. I mean to steal those bases, maybe still third base sometimes. I know they got the big boppers and they can knock that in, so why take the chance, but live out there in the edge a little bit and put the pressure on the defense run a little bit. I'd like to see the team do.
Speaker 1: That like the Yankees did last night, maybe like Jazz Chisholm did in Dodgers Stadium in Game two and Anthony Volpi did with a couple of stolen bases last night.
Speaker 4: I watched Chishen would keep his helmet on at least half the time that he's on the but he's got the beautiful hair go. Really kind of rubs me the wrong way. I mean, you know, more so than so though more so than in the box. No, at least chishm runs. Hey, I like Chisholm. No, I'm just telling you. He's a little bit quirky, but what the hell, you know, I like him as a player. I think he's got talent out the kazoo. He really is a talented player. And uh, you know, anybody liked to have him on the team because he he's dangerous, you know, he really is. He can do all the all the things you wanted to do. But you don't want to talk about the personality parts now, right Tim? You talk about kind of rubs me too, you know what I mean. I want to see a guy, Hey, you're in the World Series. I want to see you play with your hair on fire, go crazy out there.
Speaker 1: Let it out. Man.
Speaker 4: He's gonna lollygagging after the ball. And you know, I'll tell you what the cool element is. I think that sucks if you ask me. I just want to tell you if you know what you know what's cool? Trying hard, you know what's cool. Hustling hard, you know what's cool. Pulling for your teammates, that's cool, you know, not not you know how you kind of go after the ball and kind of nod at the guy at the play that that stuff is so old now it's like way old.
Speaker 1: It's it's sorry, but that's how I feel. It's magnified. I think a Yankee stave in the last two nights, Saxy when you watch balls hit to right field.
Speaker 4: Tired of the cool fact.
Speaker 1: I am really tired of it. I kind oft know, I kind of like it depends if it's the Dodgers doing, I like it. But if it's the Yankees doing, I don't like it.
Speaker 4: Well, well, you know what if if it's internally you're talking about the internal stuff, like it about me? Look at this and I'm so cool. I don't like that. I don't like that at all. The Dodgers are cool when they when they do it out of sheer joy. You know, you see him do that little hip thing when they hit a double. You know, I'm not into that, but it's okay with me. But I don't see I see the Dodgers doing it in a team concept. They're all for the team, and I love it as far as that goes. I love the team concept. The personal part, I'm so cool. I'm not digging that.
Speaker 1: Eight saxty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy Dodgers find themselves in a fight. Dodger fans, how you feeling now?
Speaker 4: Down?
Speaker 1: Are up three to one in as best of seven series, but the Yankees have got the momentum going into Game five. Fred in La, you're next up on sax and Kates in the am My, Fred.
Speaker 10: What's up? Tim? What's up? Saxony?
Speaker 4: What a friend?
Speaker 10: What's up? Man? I loved your name? The Dodgers man thinks. Anyhow, I just think that obviously the Yankees came back beat the bullpen, but no distrest. That was more like the JV squad going out there the varsity bullpen. They'll be out there tomorrow or tonight, I should say. But my question was on the double thing from Volpi to left field and then the tag came into lux. It looked like Let's had the ball his glove when he slid. He should have been technically out, but I guess the ball popped out. Didn't have the possession of the ball. What do you guys think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, appreciate it for that was in the eighth inning, Brenton Honeywell on to relieve with one out, Volpe hits the ball to left and it's a hustle double and it's a great throw from tay Oscar Hernandez. Gavin Lux puts the quick tag down on him and right in front of the back, the head of Volpi hits Lux's glove and the force pops the ball out and so Volpe's safe. At second, when you watch it in slow most saxy, it looks like he's got the tag and maybe a little bit of a finish, and then a second or beat later the ball comes out. So I understand where Friend's like, yeah, maybe he's he's out, and then a second lay the ball out so you can challenge it. But yeah, I mean it's a bang bang play. In the moment, I kind of thought the same thing. But that's happened. I bet it happened a lot to you the ballgame knocked out by a player.
Speaker 4: First of all, I like Fred's question. It's a good technical question. The answer is he's safe, he's not out. You have to It's like a football guy that catches the ball and you have to control the ball through the ground. You know. That's the kind of the same thing here. You got to complete the tag and it wasn't done. Now, there was a tag done by the Yankees, it was either Volpe or Torres in the game previous where you made a oh you know what, it was a tag on Maybe it was, No, it wasn't on show Johnny. I can't remember who it was, but it was a phenomenal tag. The least amount of the point being the least amount of time that the ball is down there with the runner, the better, And it was one of those tags. Was just whooped real fast, like a swooping motion, and he made the tag. Now, what I'd like to do on that? I never wanted to expose the ball to the runner, even though you have to tag with the glove correct. So what I would do is I would tag with the with the with the glove kind of bent up towards my body, and I would tag them with my wrist. Now I have the ball on my glove technically it's part of my hand, and I would pound it hard on the guys on my wrist, not on the glove. Because you're going to expose the ball like happened last night, the ball pops out and you're vulnerable there. But if you protect it by pulling the ball kind of curling it into your body and tagging hard with your wrist, protect the ball and the guy's going to be out.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Wish you could have told Luxe that before the game. You know, it's okay, the new way of tagging, and I know, maybe maybe this isn't new, maybe you'll completely correct me. But because of replay and now we've got eyes on every single play when a guy steals or there's a close play at any base or at home, the holding of the tag as long as possible is now the new trend. And the quick tag is great, but you'll see a second basement or shortstop on a steal. A second put the tag on the runner and then literally hold them on the runner for a couple of seconds. And they do that just in case there's a split second in which the legs come off the bag, the hands come off the bag, and maybe the hip is off the bag and he's not touching the bag for like a millisecond. They can replay that and say, yep, he's out. But even in the moment when you watch it in real time, oh yeah, he's clearly safe. He got there in a second before the throw. But they hold the tag now just in hopes that replay will show a millisecond in which no body part was touching them.
Speaker 4: Yes, Now that's like a secondary type of a tag, where it's close or he's safe. Yeah, you hold the tag on there because you might pop off. You know, he might just get off for a second. But when you have the guy clearly out, you kind of tag him, you know, the way I was saying that, the way I would suggest, that's way I like to do it. And you know, the guys out, get the hell out of there, Tag the guy and get out. But if it's close or he's safe, yeah, you put the tag on you hold it, hold it, hold it. If he comes off the bag, he's out. If he's not, oh well you tried.
Speaker 1: It's go to Jesse and Marino. Valley's next up on Saxon Kates in the am is. The Dodgers find themselves now in a best of seven series, up three games, still one.
Speaker 11: Hi Jesse, by good morning guys, Thanks thanks for having me on.
Speaker 10: A quick question.
Speaker 11: Hey, so at love point, at what point? I know Will Smith went yard last night, but at what point do you think about putting Austin Barnes in Just you know, historically he's been great in big games. Himself too, and he's also a better pitch caller than than the Will Smith is. So I mean I said he did. He did hit a home run last night. But man, he's struggling just like mun He's struggling bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has not had a great offensive postseason. But how many times have we heard in the nld S, the NLCS, the rave reviews from the Dodger pitchers about Will Smith. Well what a game Will called?
Speaker 11: We love that.
Speaker 1: We were, we were on the same page. We were in sync tonight. Calling pitches. Will was right on it. Even in bullpen games, every one of them. Will was great. Will was great. I think you don't want to lose that aspect of the game.
Speaker 4: No, No, that's that's the call, the underpinnings of your defense and the whole you know, the whole thing that works beyond and behind the scenes is he runs the kind of runs a pitching staff. He's got everything in front of him. As a catcher, he sees everything. He's like another general on the field. He's valuable in that respect. The hitting is gonna come. He did sign a ten year contract, so right, you're you're gonna live and die with that. But no, love Will Smith. The hitting is gonna come, there's no doubt about it. But what he does with the pitching staff is invaluable. Love Austin Barnes, no disrespect there, but no not changing that out. With all respect to Jesse.
Speaker 1: Just on a side note, Will Smith hit the home run to right field, and that's a good point.
Speaker 4: It went. It went to the short part of right field. Okay, not a home run in Dodger statemay.
Speaker 1: You know what, I don't need to know that Fox. I don't need to see a graphic about You're gonna take this this bam home run in two parks, right right, I mean, and then John Smolt's like, well, you know that home run and the other one maybe from Freddy that's not out in Dodgers teon. Okay, neither was the Wells home run that it was hit or or one of those home runs of the Yank that's not a home run. It was the tors so I don't remember which one of them. But you don't want to call that one out. That one barely got out. But we're gonna just celebrate the fact that that one went out. But the Dodgers opposite field home run that just went three rows deep into the short porch. Now we're gonna say, well, you know it's out here, but it's not out of Dodgerston. Well, we're not playing Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 4: John Smoltz, whoa little smolts rub. Okay, let's put in perspective the ball that John Carlos Stanton hit in Los Angeles, Well, that's not out in the Grand Canyon. No, he's not not a Grand Canyon home run?
Speaker 1: Yeah right, what the heck? Yeah? So if it wasn't out there, it wouldn't have been out I mean.
Speaker 4: I get so frustrated. I know, I get frustrated. Listen, you know what this is. It's it's analysis. It's paralysis by analysis. They just get too much of it. I mean, okay, hang on a second here. Okay, So you said it on the fourth night on the win wind at five knots going out of Yankee Stadum, on a night where the barometric pressure is about forty degrees in dropping. No, no, okay, yeah, that wouldn't have been a home run in sixteen point seven parks.
Speaker 1: Do you get tired of this?
Speaker 4: It's a home run or it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was the Torres' home run in the eighth inning, the three run home run. It just barely made it over the wall and right field three hundred and sixty six feet. But yet we don't hear John Smold's gushing about how that wouldn't have been out of Dodgers stadium.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they want to, you know that. I think what it happens is you everybody knows that. You know, they feel the Dodgers are gonna win, So let's knock it down a little bit and make it more fair and kind of, you know, kind of even this thing out, and the possibilities are greater than you think. No, I don't think so, you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: So they're just trying to keep the audience. Yeah, keep the audience there in a three to one series lead. Now as the Dodgers say they had themselves a fight, Dodger fans eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy coming up next hour. Jeff Nelson, four time World Series champ, now works for the Yes Network of the Yankees. We'll join us. David vast So he joins this in the eight o'clock hour. We'll hear from Rookie Betts coming up, Freddie Freeman coming up. Dodgers struck early last night in the first and then things fell apart. They were right there, down six to five, down six to four in the six, and then a five run eighth inning put it away for the Yankees. Is a win Game four last night, eleven to four is the final Dodgers, though still one went away from a World Series championship. Bud, the fight just got a little tougher. The Dodgers now have Garrett Cole going against them Yankee Stadium Game five tonight. Hopefully it ends tonight in the Bronx. Steve Sacks, Tim Kates and you on this Wednesday morning, Let's go Dodger fans. You need to show a little fight. You got hit in the mouth by the Yankees. Now it's time to hit back. Eight six, six, ninety seven two five Day five seventy LA Sports. Sax and Kates in the am here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Thanks for being with us as we get ready for a Game five of the twenty twenty four World Series. Yankees survived last night with a eleven to four win over the Dodgers. A bullpen game backfires for the Blue They had their opportunities, just couldn't get back into the game. Get over the hump and Dave Roberts six with landon neck Brent Honeywell Junior to close it out five runs giving up in the eighth INNY by Honeywells. The Yankees busted it open and go on and get the win. Is now a three to one series lead for the Dodgers and another chance to close it out in the Bronx tonight in the final game in New York. Either way, if the series has to come back for Game six, they will not go back to New York for the remainder of the series after tonight. Great pitching matchup or rematch between Garrett Cole and Jack Flaherty in Game number one eight six, six ninety seven to two five seventies our number. An hour from now, we'll hear from Jeff Nelson from the yet Yes Network, But real quickly, the ratings came out from last night. Yeah and uh well actually game one or Game three on Monday and today's Wednesday. I don't even know what daily week it is Wednesday, So the ratings came out from Monday night Game number three of the World Series going up against the Giants and Steelers on Monday Night football, and the Dodgers and Yankees averaged about thirteen point six million viewers on Monday night on Fox. Of course, right here on I seventy LA Sports, the number is bigger than that. Giants Steelers, which was on ABC, ESPN and ESPN two three different outlets combined, didn't get even that number. They got thirteen point four million viewers. So Major League Baseball's Game three Dodgers Yankees beat Monday Night Football Steelers Giants, which was on three different stations for people to watch on Monday night.
Speaker 4: So yeah, Baseball a really good game too. Steelers Giants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two powerhouse fan bases. Steeler Nation is huge. Certainly they're probably not interested in a World Series matchup, maybe the middle of the part of the country not invested in Rodgers Yankees as we are on the East Coast and West Coast. But uh, certainly nice to see that baseball.
Speaker 4: Beat series, right, It's been great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I know the uh, the execs and the suits want to go as long as possible because everybody wants to make as much money as possible. But the baseball on the field, the actual play saxy, you could argue, but it's it's kind of lived up to the hype. Game one could have gone either way. The Grand Slam for Freddie Freeman. Game two was a great battle on the Male Yamamoto. Game three, Dodgers prevailed Game four last night and a chance to sweep it out. Here come the Yankees with all that offense.
Speaker 4: It's been great, it's been phenomenal, and it's been what it's uh what the billing has put out there. And look, if I'm the if I'm the Dodgers, you know, you know what kind of my mentality is today. This is this is what i'd do. I'd just bring my lunch pail to work. You're you're bringing the lunch pail to work. It's business. Forget the emotion part. I'm gonna I'm gonna get in here and dissect my video like I usually do when I go to the ballpark or what. I'm gonna do everything I have to do to get ready, and I'm gonna go put a whooping on somebody. But I am thinking about I'm bringing a lunch pail to work and this is business today. It's just a work day. That's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna do. I'm gonna do something that I've done every single day since February. Okay, go to Spring, Trent. I'm gonna do the same thing that I've done the whole time. I'm gonna do that today, and I'm gonna do it right now. That's that's my mentality going into today. When I wake up in New York, I'm gonna bring my lunch pale and I'm gonna go to work, maybe.
Speaker 1: A slice of pizza first and then to work, then to work.
Speaker 4: Hey, I had a pizza out there. I had a piece of pizza out there at Yamava the other night. They said, hey, what do you want for dinner? And I said what do we got? And they said, well, you know, it's kind of like a food court. And I said, well, you know what, I think I'll just have maybe I'll have just one slice of pizza, you know, because I'm not overly hungry. So the one slice of pizza comes over and it's in a box. I'm thinking, why is one slice of pizza in a bas until I opened it and it was a it was like a whole pizza and I'm like, wait, I just wanted one slice and they said that is one slice.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. This is crazy, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it was good.
Speaker 1: It was after six thirty at night, right, no or before, because you don't eat after six thirty.
Speaker 4: I don't eat after six.
Speaker 1: Making sure you made it very known that you don't.
Speaker 4: I don't want to cut into my shreditity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you believe it. People lost a lot of great posts on social media from Saxon Kate's and the Am with You and Studio the last couple of days, and yeah, the comments are always very nice towards you, not very flattering towards me.
Speaker 4: But oh that's not true.
Speaker 1: Men and women both like, wow, Steve Sacks, you're an adonis. No, no, not even you are shredded. You look great, And who's that other guy next to you? That's that's appreciated comments.
Speaker 4: Just ask anybody, it's boom.
Speaker 1: Eight six, seven seventy. Your phone calls when we come back, full board of calls. You're fired up. I'm fired up. Dodgers hopefully fired up for Game five tonight. They got hit in the mouth last night, thinking they're gonna sweep win a World Series championship. Yankee said, uh huh, not tonight, not in the Bronx. So the Dodgers waited another night to clinch a World Series championship, but they better come. They'd better bring that lunch. Paal Saxy said for Game five tonight, he is Steve Sax. I'm Tim Kats one hour down, two to go right here on Amphi seventy l A Sports