Speaker 1: With the Lucky land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: This is your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, so I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 3: Okay, round two, name something that's not boring laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 4: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for chumbuck casino.
Speaker 3: Chum.
Speaker 4: That's right, chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes.
Speaker 3: Chump chumbucasino dot com plus trans conditions see webs like retails.
Speaker 5: Hell.
Speaker 3: Okay, round two, name something that's not boring laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 4: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for chumbuck casino.
Speaker 5: Chum.
Speaker 4: That's right, Chumbacasino dot com as. Over one hundred casino style games joined today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chum Chumbucasino dot com. Nomber Scessary working at Bay Plus starts conditions of blue websit retails.
Speaker 6: Hello, It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba Lane.
Speaker 3: Neverar immediately by lost in your recoditions eating class.
Speaker 7: You are now listening to true murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski, Good evening.
Speaker 5: Leonard Lake was greatly influenced by a book titled The Collector, where a man abducts a woman to keep forever as a sex slave. The book was fictional, but when Leonard Lake met Charles, they discussed abducting, enslaving and torturing women. They called their plan Operation Miranda. Matthew Roswally is the director of The Miranda Murders Lost Tapes of Leonard Lake and Charles Zing. His film depicts the horrible acts committed in northern California in the mid eighties, caught on film by the notorious killers themselves and recreated in an accurate linear fashion. Matthew is a writer, director, and actor from Los Angeles, California, and the film that we are featuring this evening is The Miranda Murders The Lost Tapes of Leonard Lake and Charles Zing, with my special guest, actor, director and writer Matthew Rossville. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for a greet's interview. Matthew Rossveille, Thank you, Dan.
Speaker 8: Good to hear from you.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much. I hope I have pronounced your name correctly. I've been known to not do that.
Speaker 8: It's all good. My name is spelled weird, but the pronunciation is rose Valley. But thank you.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well now I know I won't do it again. Thank you very much. Should have asked. Now it's Matthew rose Valleys. Let's talk about your background that and why you were compelled to make this The Miranda Murders.
Speaker 8: Well, to give you some background about me, I am an actor from New York City that became a filmmaker and I moved to Hollywood and I hooked up with my producer who pitched me the idea of creating this film, which is a story that has not been told yet, and I felt like it was a story that needed to be told. So I agreed to it. And we spend some time traveling across the country in visiting various locations, specifically Willseyville, which is where the murders happened, and writing the project.
Speaker 5: Now, we just spoke off air about the actual tapes themselves. Tell us if you and your partner who actually viewed these tapes.
Speaker 8: Yes, my producer is really good at what he does, and he was able to get his hands on the original footage.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 8: Initially a lot of our original research. We watched the footage on YouTube, which is about, if I had to guess, about five minutes. We read the book Die for Me, which is a very detailed book on you know, the the murders themselves and what actually happened up there in northern California, and he was to get a hold of the rest of the footage, and we watched it and wanted to recreate it. That was the point of the film, to be able to recreate things that happened to these people, because, like I said, it's a story that has not been told. It's disappointing to know that these people have been forgotten. So we wanted to remember them by sharing what happened.
Speaker 5: You mentioned Die for Me by Don Lassiter, and that's been a best seller, and he was on the program right in the very beginning of True Murder back eight years ago. And yeah, and it's very familiar tru crime fans, the hardcore of tru crime fans know of this case. And these are amazing rather lack of word for a duo of killers. Certainly what story has not what story has not been told for those people that have read all this What story has not been told that you are prepared to tell in this film.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm referring to the medium of film, especially when it comes to true crime. You get people know about John Wayne Gacy and Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer. People don't know about what happened to these these victims in northern California of Leonard Bake and Charles Ringing and specifically with like I said, the media film. We wanted to express it because we wanted to show that these uh, these people are are not forgotten.
Speaker 5: Now you sorry, go ahead, Oh no, no, it's fine.
Speaker 8: I was just I was just gonna say, this is my medium. I mean, I mean, obviously the book is very in depth. It's book, but not everybody feeds anymore. I feel these days people tend to find entertainment through YouTube and the Internet, and we felt the need to express what happened on film. So that's what we did. We recreated the footage. We saw the film and decided, let's make a movie that is as accurate and as real as possible.
Speaker 5: And not to give too much away because this movie debut is October thirteenth. Tell Us also where this debut is very very interesting as well, tell us what the premiere date is, and tell us where people might find this once they listen to this interview and are compelled to check it out.
Speaker 8: Certainly, it's going to release on Amazon Crime and Amazon it's in video, so you can rent or buy it, or if you have Amazon Prime, you can streaming. And that's the way of new media. I mean, it's super interesting because I was. I was an avid DVD collector back in the day. I'm sure many of you people are watching might have been still even BHS collectors. I was too. Yeah, as a filmmaker, you know, we decided to go with the new media, which is streaming. That's what we do.
Speaker 5: Now. Without giving anything away because I know that you said you did sign a contract not just to leak certain information. Of course that's understandable, but what other than the tapes themselves and what they depict, And again we won't go into every bit, but we know that this involves torture in something incredibly vile from these two gentlemen. So what is it? What's the bigger story though? That someone would take away from watching this other than just a reenactment redepiction of the violence that is contained specifically on those tapes. In reality, you know, there.
Speaker 8: Are horrible people out there, and at the end of the day, I am a big fan of the horror genre and I wanted to express how real life horror is a true thing and you need to watch every move you make. Sometimes not to say I want to create a mass paranoia, but I think it's important to be able to know what you're doing and know who you're talking to, and have the foresight to be able to kick out when you're talking to somebody who is dangerous. So that's really the point of the film, to honor the people who passed away, warm people that this is still a problem. There are still people out there life letter like in Charles Lank and it just so happens. These two killers have not been talked about very often in film.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. Yeah, tell us about some of the sources that you use to research this story. You mentioned Don Lassiter's Die for Me. What are some of the other information, other than viewing the tapes themselves that you use for your sources of material? Oh?
Speaker 8: Well, there was definitely, Like I said, Die for Me is a very very good and accurate book. I of course read the Collector. Sure, the footage Belt has been very helpful. And on top of that, there were a few documentaries about the subjecked I believe you can even watch them on Gosh dare I say YouTube. I I'm actually looking it up right now. So it's fun. The boat yard, it's a very very accurate documentary, gives you, you know, enough information to to get to know these people. But I mean as many sources as possible. We also read transcripts from the four cases. I mean, as you know, King was in court for a very very long time. Yeah, he was able to keep keep his case going so long that it costs to California twenty million dollars the time, is the most expensive trial in the state of the in the you know, in the state since oj Yeah. So a lot of legal documents and interviews and documentaries that I could find. And of course there's also some people who have reached out, as I've been wrote in the film, apparently we've communicated with some people who actually lived in the area at the time. Wow, which is a breathtaking to me.
Speaker 5: Now for those that don't know, and we've alluded to and we spoke about it, but just briefly tell us I have a copy of The Collector as well, because it's it's not only Leonard Lake and Charles Ing that looked to this book for inspiration, and so I was curious and it is. It is a fascinating book and a very it's a very good book. Incredible how we could take it to another level after reading that. But for those that don't know about this, briefly about the Collector connection to Leonard Lake and and so hence the also the title of the Miranda Murders and as I mentioned, their plan, their project, the Miranda Operation.
Speaker 8: Miranda Well. Leonard Lake got inspiration from reading the book written by John Fowls in nineteen sixty three, and the book is about a butterfly collector who fell in love with a woman and kidnapped her and put her in the bunker in his I want to say, basement and did not want to rape or he wanted to convince her that he was worth loving and through this essentially Stockholm syndrome, she didn't necessarily fall in that she actually died in the book, but he got he was so attracted to the romance of holding a woman to the point that she would fall in love with him that he wanted to make it a reality. So he built a bunker in the side of a cliff, which is where he lived in the middle of the mountains in Wilseyville and kept his women there. And the girl in the book is named Miranda, so he called his project the Miranda Project, which is where the title the Miranda Murders comes from. In fact, if you look at the credits of the film, which you can see at a Shockfess Horror Factory dot com, I believe we have well I want to say about fifteen credits that are all Miranda, because that's you know, how many unnamed women he was able to keep in his bunker.
Speaker 5: What was the experience like? This sounds not like a great question, but what again, what does it What was it really like watching those tapes. You're a filmmaker, you're obviously some a person that knows is true crime business, and you know the intersection, it seems between true crime and true horror. It would seem what was it like watching these tapes?
Speaker 8: I mean, it's tragic to see that these are the last moments of these human beings that it moved me. And what I had to do was I felt the need to express their pain so that people can arm themselves with the power and the knowledge that there are these people that are at charming who can do horrible things to you. It was a sad and I have to admit I have a morbid curiosity, so I found it interesting Personally. I think some people don't have the same sentimentality, but sure, ultimately it was very upsetting.
Speaker 5: Now with this, what were the victims? How many victims and what was the range of age of these victims that are depicted.
Speaker 8: Leonard Lake is known to have what is called the I want to say it's the confession. It's a vey of him sitting in his armchair where he admits that he finds women attractive as young as the age of twelve, but usually about twenty one to I want to say twenty five. He liked the younger women, usually smaller sized women, and when the police came to the bunker in Wilseyville, they found about enough bone fragments to determine it was up to twenty five victims and it wasn't just women that he killed. That actually brings up a really interesting topic. Leonard Lake and Charles Ing were kind of pioneers in the field of identity theft because the way they were able to avoid the police so long is they found individuals who looked like them. Specifically Leonard Lake Charles Ling was more under the radar, and they would kill them and steal their identity and steal their their their driver's license and for ten to be then Charlie Gunner was I believe was his best man. Let me just check my facts on that one, but yes, that's right. I believe he pretended to be Charlie Gunner and he killed him and stole his ID.
Speaker 5: You talk about actually going to the crime scene itself, sierraed to that of Foothills, So tell us, just as you do, where exactly this is, and then tell us about that experience and what you saw.
Speaker 8: Well, me and my producers rove to Wilseyville, which was I want to say, two or three hours away from San Francisco, and we're both located in southern California, so it was a bit of a drive to get up there in the first place, and driving there was very eerie. You got the fee because because the population is very small. We drove around the neighborhood, which was in the middle of the mountains, very sparse, maybe a couple hundred people at most, and you got the feeling people are there to disappear because they don't want to be seen or be known. So it's a very good place for a serial killer to take a victim. And we actually drove down gosh is it a or to say, Blue Mountain Road, the road where they lived. We drove all the way down to their their property and it's not there anymore. But it's it's a very precarious road. It's it's a it's not a too it's not like a two way street. It's not like the way you would picture a freeway. It's a dirt road in the middle of the hills in a very mountainy area. And you know, you're about like a few inches away from the side of a cliff. And when I say a cliff, I mean it's literally dirt. A bad thunderstorm would probably destroy the road. So it was very ominous Spookie, And yeah, it was very intimidating, but one there was important. We needed to experience what it's like to be there. In order to tell the story, because we had to.
Speaker 5: Know in those tapes and in your depiction in this movie, as you say, this is an accurate depiction, holding nothing back obviously. Yes, I know you can't give too much away, and you don't want to give too much away, except you have a trailer for this movie as well as well. But if you can give us a sense of the psychological the slave contract, these written rules, what exactly will you be depicting. If you could give us a sense of that.
Speaker 8: You're talking about a style of filmmaking, which is something I would be very happy to share. Very early on in the process, I decided I wanted to make a movie that was similar in style to Texas Chainsaw Masker in the Blair Witch Project, where there was practically, if not zero gore. I did not want to make a bloody movie. I wanted to make a psychological movie based off of what real serial killers would probably put on film, and they probably wouldn't put on themselves, stabbing people. And you know, we've heard about snuff movies before, where it's a people torturing people on film. That's not what I wanted to make. I wanted to make something that was then legitimately trying to psychologically change another human being, and that's what we depicted our film. The rules that Leonard Dick and Charles Ing put in the bunker, which was the place that they kept their victims, was designed to condition these women to become subservient to them. It was don't look me in the eye, i will always keep my lips parted, I'll always keep my bed meat, and it was a basic guideline for the perfect slave that they envisioned. That's that's pretty much what you see in the film. We're trying created something that was based off of reality and based off the footage we saw, which was pretty, like I said, pretty shocking. It's frustratingly and surprisingly accurate.
Speaker 5: You also, in the trailer, the one trailer that I've seen, you have included it seems the relationship between Leonard Lake and Charles Ying. We see we know them as a couple that got together to do this, maybe one person dominant the other. But is there something in that trailer that concerns the relationship that you are depicting in this film as well.
Speaker 8: I'm very glad to bring that up because a big thing about the film is through exposition, and through subtle encounters between the two, you get to know what those two characters personalities were, what these two people were, and on the surface, Leonard Lake was a domineering master but Charles Ing, played by my producer Joe Clavaria, was frequently more of the mastermind. He was behind the camera, and he knew that it being behind the cameras oppose you want in front of the camera, that it would be less incriminating for him, and he played this role of submissive, even though that's not necessarily exactly who he was. But you get to know how tricky these two people really were, and you're gonna be surprised by watching the film what their personalities really are. And this is also expressed through Leonard Lake's wife, her ex wife, Carolyn Blast, who was actually really active with the murders and she actually ended up getting a pardon by complying with the police. But in the film it's explored a little further just how active she really was, which, according to the research that we took, was pretty active. She's just as guilty, if not more so, than you know Leonard Link and Charles Zang, and yet she's walking the streets today.
Speaker 5: Else does this movie have to say? I mean, you've talked about this cautionary tale and obviously you want the story to be told period, But is there something else, a bigger sort of sense from the relationship the times and the evil that these people perpetrated. Is there something else that has to be said or is said in this film?
Speaker 8: You know, the film, I have to admit, is dark, and the topic is very dark, and the subject is very means perioded. But my philosophy is you need to take that information and you need to grow from it. How do you arm yourself with the fact that the world was dark and make the world better? So I guess that's really the takeaway. And on top of it, like I said, I'm a horror guy at the end of the day, and because I want to scare you a little bit, so it be afraid but be inspired.
Speaker 5: Now, who tell us, so we talk about you being the writer, tell us about the credits for this movie period.
Speaker 8: I'm actually not the only writer. I co wrote it with my producer Gil Claveria, who was the one who pitched me the idea of the film. He was a film festival director of a Shockfest film festival, in Hollywood for about ten years, and I worked for him for about two and we got hooked up because I'm like I said, I'm an actor. And he asked me to perform for him at in Santa Barbara for his musical that he wrote and his wife's erected Alicia Claveria, And we spent some time in Vegas, which is where he has a condo, and we did a lot of our writing and he pulled up a picture of these two killers and said, do you think we can create this movie? So man, and I said yes. So we went to Vegas and wrote the film and me and him, so he actually plays Charles Ving. I played Leonard Blake. We wrote the film together. Let's see, we had some very good actors. And I have to give a lot of credit to Gil. He's a very good producer because he convinced all of these actresses to play these real life victims, which I feel like a lot of filmmakers are not capable of doing. They're not capable of convincing actress to play something so real.
Speaker 5: Sure, but he did it.
Speaker 8: We got let me see, let me name drop a few people, uh, Sarah Barrett and heel seem to Guil and uh Tema Saul and Joe Black, Alan Bernhoff who performed in the Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde musical, Johanna Ray God. I could just go off and I could just read the whole credits. But I'm very impressed with everybody who worked on this film. They were they were all very very professional, and they really cared. And I have to give so much props to Gil because he was able to inspire them to believe in my vision for a good movie and we were able to work together as a team.
Speaker 5: How long did the movie take from writing to post production to be ready?
Speaker 8: I have to admit post production took a little longer than I would have liked, but I mean that's the case with any independent film. It's very difficult to you know, once you're done shooting, I mean, once you're you have to edit the film and you got to do special effects and sound editing. And let's see, how long did it take? It took a I want to say it took a good half a year to make this film from the conception to the completion. Maybe a little longer because part of it was also I was doing production and other work with my producer Guild, and that includes our web series which is a travel show about called ponder Bouts by the Way, which where we visit hard locations, and we also work on a documentary at Standing Rock where we filmed the protests at the time. So yeah, I'd say it took a little long a half a year.
Speaker 5: Let's use this as an opportunity, Matthew for to talk about sponsor for this program this evening. Brook Linen, Now, my wife and I just received are beautiful brook Linen package, the Queen sized seat sheets, their lux their very deluxe sheet package. They came with also a Devey cover and two extra pillowcases, and they call it lux meaning short for luxurious, and certainly that's what it is. Four hundred and eighty thread count. It even looks different. And my wife really enjoyed the envelope style pillowcase where she says the pillow can can't fall out, so just an added feature she was very impressed with. So a third of your life in your sheets, are they taking care of you the way they should be? With brooklyn in dot com, you can get the high quality sheets and betting you deserve at a price that won't keep you up at night. Brooklyn was founded in April twenty fourteen by husband and wife team Vicki and Rich Pullip on the philosophy that people deserve simple, beautiful home essentials without the luxury price, and brooklyn and cuts out unnecessary markups and manufactory waste in order to offer exquisite designs and exceptional savings across their collection. Brooklyn is the fastest growing betting brand in the world because people love their products. Their sheets have over twelve thousand five star reviews. Now they have versatile colors and patterns that you can mix and match, something you can't do in a department store. Mix and match whatever way you want in colors. So it's a great feature to effortlessly compliment any decore. This is luxury betting and it's under price, and you have to try these sheets today. Now, I love these sheets, so this is my wife. Try these sheets and I know you'll love them too. Brooklynen dot com has an exclusive offer just for true Murder listeners. Get twenty dollars off and free shipping when you use promo code Murder at Brooklynen dot com. In fact, Brooklynen is so confident you'll love your new sheets that they offer a risk free sixty nights satisfaction guarantee and a lifetime warranty on all their sheets and comforters, so there's no reason not to give these sheets a try. The only way to get twenty dollars off and free shipping is to use promo code murder at Brooklynen dot com. That's brook Lenen b r O O k L I n e N dot com promo code murder Brooklynen. These are the best sheets ever. Now, we talked about your role in this movie and you said that you have the role of Leonard Lake, so, obviously, as an actor, an incredible role, a very interesting role, to say the least. How did you prepare for this role? I know we talked about the research that you would have to do, but how extensive did you go into his actual life in preparation for this How essential was it to know everything about the official record of Leonard Lake, everything about his past? How important was that to inform you with this role?
Speaker 8: For this role, I'm a method actorate in the end of the day, so it's very important for me to know the background of the character and know who he is as in depth as possible. But after a while, I mean the thing is, I did so much research to help to co write the film that I felt, I know, I knew the man and I knew the way he thought. And after a while I started to take some method steps. For example, I listened to the song and this is gonna sound very weird because the song is not from the perspective of Killer that I listened heavily to the song not Your Slave by Oengo Boingo because I felt Leonard Lake, in his mind was justified and romantic at the end of the day. So after I got to know the horrors of who he was, I started to live it temporarily and pretend to be that romantic and that's what gave me the inspiration to be that person. I also have to admit as a kid, I mean I was bullied, so you know I tapped into that, and you know, it tap into things that you've experienced in your own life, and you go out of your way to get to know the person. How much Howlso like playing villains, by the way, I played villains all the time. I played dad people on film on stage frequently, so it's pretty natural for me to be somebody like that.
Speaker 5: Was a little bit of his character that you brought to the screen. What was Leonard Lake thought of himself as one of these off the grid sort of an outlaw, a pot dealer, and again of a sort of a guy anti government sort of. Is that the way he saw himself? Was this part of it?
Speaker 8: Well, yes, I mean that's who he was, But I think he saw himself somebody who was misunderstood, and as horrible as that sounds, as a human being, I don't condone his actions, but as an actor, I tried to connect with the guy and the way I was able to connect with him was He's a misunderstood individual and that's the way I played it, and that's what you're probably gonna see on screen.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what I meant by that question. Did he It almost seems like he thought of himself as all of this, I'm outside the lawn, I'm off the grid, and then he saw his torture chamber as just a part of his individuality, it seemed. And once he got Charles Ing.
Speaker 8: And he saw Charles ng as practically a family member. I mean the Actually there is a film called House on the Edge of the Park that for mind to me heavily of relationship between Leonard Lake and Charles Ing, which is between these two killers who kidnap these people at a party and they act very similarly to the way that I feel like Leonard Lake and Charleston get. And it stars David Hess who passed away years ago, and he's very familiar with playing killer because he also played a killer in The Last House on the Left, which is a West Crave era set. Gosh, I want to say Wes Craven produced it, and whoever directed Friday at thirteenth I love him, by the way. But yeah, it's that there is humanity in evil people, and if you want to play an evil character as an actor, you need to be able to connect with that mad and be comfortable with the fact they're playing somebody who was a horrible person. So that's what I did.
Speaker 5: What was the somewhat redeeming aspects of Leonard Lake's character.
Speaker 8: That's a tough question because he was a very detached human being and he was not a very good human being. But if I were to pick out the positives, he was very charming. He he was creative, and I mean he was able to Yeah, I know I know that's that's just getting a little dark. But he was able to build a bunker in the side of a mountain next to his house and his honest property, and police had to dig it up. You don't want her to find it. So he was resourceful. And I guess, I guess that's about it. I I honestly don't like him as a person, but yeah, he was very resourceful. That's probably what I would say.
Speaker 5: How far do the tapes go? I think I ventured into this question and didn't go quite through it. How far do they go in these tapes? Considering that there's the abduction, there's the torture, there's a psychological torture, and then there's murders. How far and what? How? What? To what extent do they go in the tapes? And and and to what extent do you depict in your movie? We m.
Speaker 8: We go in Charles ng drew some he's an artist, by the way, he threw some incriminating sketches of himself, even cooking a baby. Yeah, and we don't show like morbid aspects of cooking a baby, but we do depict that a baby is put in a pops That's probably the darkest thing. We do.
Speaker 5: Quite dark.
Speaker 8: We it's very dark. But the big thing I wanted to try to emphasize was psychological horror. Yeah, what he's going to create suspense and is going to build the suspense And how can we tell a story without stabbing anybody or shooting anybody or cutting anybody up? And we show all the way up to that. Wait for those that about twenty of our victims.
Speaker 5: For those that may I don't know, pre judge this by you say this is not a gore fest.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, there's absolutely no blood. We had no special effects artist who did blood.
Speaker 5: Wow for the for an audience that has read Dye for me, yeah, yes, no, I'm not. Hey, listen, this audience devours books on cas is there's one book or there's four books. Some people are truly more wrapped up than I.
Speaker 8: Pardon me, but what I personally like about true crime as a genre is the suspense of cap dancing on the uncanny, dally the abnormal, what is inappropriate but not quite. You know, I'm not interested personally in a gore fest. I'm not interested in seeing somebody get stabbed and you know, blood everywhere. I'm more interested in seeing the steps up to that, and how do I prevent that from happening to me and the people I care about? So I tried to take that approach with my film.
Speaker 5: With this film, we talked about the relationship between Leonard Lake and Charles ing how prominent is their interaction in this I mean, obviously their partners.
Speaker 8: Cute, but it's actudy. Also, I have to admit, you know, I'm an off Broadway actor and something I'm interested in is the humanity behind horrible people. Who are they? And we do get to know their relationship, and as we've talked about earlier, there was a lot of research that went into getting to know who they were and how they interacted. For example, one of the pieces of direction I gave my producer about playing Charles Ang was he had what we called behind the scenes kabookie masks. He would put out a mask in order to play a role, in order to blend in with society, and depending on the group of people he surrounded himself with, he put on a differ kaboogie mask. With Leonard Lake, he played a submissive role, even though he was actually a lot smarter, a lot more resourceful with his coworkers, he also played a submissive role, but he tried to blend in with his family. He was a lot more loving, friendly and you know, unassuming.
Speaker 5: And when.
Speaker 8: Leonard Lake was he he was a nihilist. He he had big ego, but he just didn't care and he didn't believe that he was going to get in trouble, so he would take steps in what he did to you know, avoid getting in trouble. But having that ego really protected him for almost two years.
Speaker 5: In this movie, is there any depiction of the meeting and of the first meeting between In and Lake, or the beginnings of that relationship, or an explanation on how they could have both got on the subject of the same how they could have had two psychopaths could have met.
Speaker 8: The film is shot like a found footage movie. It's meant to recreate actual footage and as a result, the very first piece of actual footage in the film is the first tape of them acting like a normal family before the murders. But when it comes to the way they met in the first place, no, it doesn't dress that. The beginning of the film does start off documentary style, but I mean, if you're asking about the way they met. They met through a magazine because they're both ex Marines, and like reached out and actually then met a lot of his victims, even through magazine ads and newspaper ads. But no, the film does not depict that particular aspect of the way he connected with people. It shows more the footage that he shot.
Speaker 5: So it never what I'm asking, is there any way Again, I'm just curious what the film will show. Is there any depiction of that relationship. I mean, obviously we do see the relationship, but I just thought there might be some indication in those original tape of how they got to be again interested in the same thing. I don't know. To me, it's always fascinating how somebody broaches the subject like this with anyone without someone then later running to the police.
Speaker 8: It depicts their relationship and it really goes in depth with how they interacted with each other, what they meant to each other, and what their relationship was, but it doesn't specifically address the exact moment that Leonard Lake reach out to Charles.
Speaker 5: Maybe you can tell us a little bit and walk us through some of the production process.
Speaker 8: Very interesting, Oh yeah, certainly, I mean, like I said, we traveled to Wilsonville. Very early on, me and my producer Gil spent time in Vegas writing. We actually spent about two weeks in Vegas status condo, just thro own ideas out, working from twelve to sixteen hours a day. And I mean, that's my life, that's what makes me happy writing. And when it comes to the actual production, I had to become the part. So I gained a lot of weight and I tried to model myself, but when Nard Lake looked and I dyed my head. And actually Guil did a very similar transformation. He's usually a very rugged looking individual, but you know he did the bowl cut and he lost some weight and shaved, and you know, we really wanted to transform into these individuals. And actually, if you'd like some photos, I'd be happy to send you some. I don't know, I assume it's going to be on a website. I'm happy to share them with you. But we had to hire actors to play real Victor. We had to hire people to play Harvey and Debor Dubs and Lottie Bond, and you know, we had to find people who fit the parts, and we did as it so happens, Like I said, Gil Brana Festival, so he knew a lot of actors. I've been a director in Hollywood for a couple of years, and I knew some actors and they all happen to be people that fit the bill. We shot a lot of the Wilseyville footage. I mean the exteriors we shot at Willseyville. We actually shot footage at location, but the interior of the cabin we shot in Big Bear in northern California, even shot from stuff in burd Bay, Los Angeles. And our art director Merlvo Ramos, Wow, she was amazing. She there was a if you look at the original footage, which you can see on YouTube, or at least five minutes of it, there's a blanket that like had she made it, you know, sewed it, handmade it from scratch, because we tried to find it and we couldn't find it. And it's something that I recall having as a kid, because you know, it was just a popular quote pattern in I guess the late eighties or mid eighties. But we couldn't find it. So she just said I'll make it and she did.
Speaker 5: You talk you talk about the impressive actors or cast of actors that you've assembled for this. Normally they just love the writing. If they love the writing, they're on board, or if they loved the direction, something along the more lines, but more so the story and obviously the roles. But this is a little bit different, and you have a you have a different approach with this. You're trying to do something a little bit different here. How did these actors, these established actors feel about the subject matter? Did they have any response? Specifically?
Speaker 8: The thing is to make a film, especially an independent film, they have to be inspired. And that's why I had such a great producer. That's why Gil is so inspiring me, because he was able to find a cast that actively wanted to play these roles. It's not just about finding people who are willing to play roles, it's about showing them that this movie is important, The story is important and then needs to be told and you get the opportunity to play these real people. So I have chalk that up to my producer. He just he's an inspiring man.
Speaker 5: Tell us a little bit more about the premiere and also just what the reaction has been so far. I guess obviously you've you're very, very happy with this, but there's been any anybody at all that you preview this with. As there's been any reaction, tell us what you or what you anticipate as a reaction once this is released.
Speaker 8: Oh, certainly. We had many test gratings and people walked out because it was just that upsetting to them the subject matter. But if you're a true crime fan and you want to know more about real life serial killers and you want to know about the true stories that have happened in reality of people violent hitting other people, this is going to be right up your ally. Because we were very active in telling something that was accurate. We had test screenings in Vegas, we had test screenings in Santa Barbara, California, Los Angeles, California. The release of the film is as we talked about, October thirteenth. It's going to be an Amazon Crime Amazon Instant video, and it is probably the least sensationalized through crime film. And when I say that, I think it's Henry Portrait of the Serial Killer and Texas Chainsaw I'm Asker, and Silence of the Lands. Those are Hollywood films. They're story oriented. This is story oriented, but it's designed to tell a true, actual story that actually happened. So if you want to see something that is based off of reality that hicks reality and showcases true horror, this is the movie to watch.
Speaker 5: And certainly that's the anticsist of Hollywood. It's certainly true stories based on true stories or anything like that. It's totally not true stories. So very encouraging that I'm excited to see us.
Speaker 8: I'm glad to hear it. And you know, I would love to talk about Hollywood. I mean, it's a huge conversation, but I mean that's never Hollywood's motivation. Of Hollywood's motivation is demographics, and motivation is to tell something real. So I if you want to see something real, this is.
Speaker 5: It certainly true horror. It was it encouraging in these tests viewings that even though there's no bloodshed, there's no gore, that these people were still shocked and walked out.
Speaker 8: What's the question.
Speaker 5: Was it encouraging to a certain extent to have that much shock value without any blood being spilled.
Speaker 8: Yes, that tells me that the storytelling is affected. Right, it's not meant to be a fun movie. It's meant to be well. I guess if that's your mentality, maybe, but it's ultimately, in my opinion, meant to be a horror warning story and people walked out. So that tells me that we did the right We did the job right.
Speaker 5: Sure. Sure, because of the horrible nature of what these people have done and what they depict in these tapes. When you saw the test viewings and the reaction, you have any trepidation in with this release? Is it a little bit ahead of its time? Possibly?
Speaker 8: Don't know. I mean I want to say yes, but that's not you go talking. I've seen a lot of movies and I've seen some very horrible films, and I think it's a throwback, So it's not what you would call. I hesitate to say ahead of its time, but I think it's right on the top. I think it's the kind of story that needs now, and I think the style of a throwback. But that's why I feel like it needs to be told now because these days Hollywood tells very carbon copied, created, like very controlled stories, and I think it's important to tell these kinds of stories. So it's something that's right for right now. I think it just hits the nail on the head.
Speaker 5: There's no love story in this is there.
Speaker 8: There's a dark love story. There's a love story between Leonard Lake's ex wife Carolyn blaz who, like earlier, I think from my research she was a lot more active in the murders than then. She not only lets on but has gotten you know, negative credit work. I think it's a dark love story, but like not in the way Edwards is Her Hands is a love story where you know, well, I.
Speaker 5: Just that was just some what kidding because Hollywood always has to have a love story, even Capodi's somehow had one, And.
Speaker 8: I think I want story a horrible love story. It's it's a love story of a man who loved his wife and I wanted to try to create his wife by kidnapping other women and turning him, turning them into what he wanted his wife to be. And it's a horrible story, and it's not really love. It's in his mind. It's a love story. But I think in uh, you know, any audience's mine who you know has their faculties, it's not a love story.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, absolutely. I want to thank you for coming on and talking about the random murders for those people that might want to check out the website, and if you could, I would like you to post your tiler failer for the movie Miranda Murders on my face personal Facebook page. I have a true murder of Facebook page. I don't really use. I just use my personal Facebook page. So if you were able to do that, Matthew, I'd greatly appreciate it for those people that comment and also go to Facebook to listen to the program I guess and to make comments. So if you could give us that give us that address and any other contacts as well, and if you could tell us about other work as well, and direct people to somewhere where they could see your other film.
Speaker 8: Work, certainly I would absolutely love to share my stuff on our Facebook page. I'll post the trailer. You can go to shock Beest Horror Factory dot com. I highly recommend going to the Mirando Murders on Facebook, the Mirandomers, lost tapes of Letting Lake and Charles Ing. There's probably gonna be more updates on there about the release of the film and where you can watch the film. If you want to see some of my previous work, I have shops. As I said earlier, Webster is called Hollywood Routes, which I'm still working on with Actually gil My producer and before that I shot a web series called Horror Show Theater which you can see on Sepulture Productions, which is on YouTube and Facebook. Highly recommend going to the Mirando Murders on Facebook. That's really where you want to go. And yes, I definitely sure my information on your page. Thank you for offerings.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you very much Matthew Rosalie for the Mirando Murders, the lost tapes of Leonard Lake and Charles Ing. I'm looking forward to this and as I know many many true crime fans and fans of true murder will be looking forward to this. Sounds very exciting. Congratulations, Thank you very much and you have a great evening. Thanks again for this interview.
Speaker 8: Thank you, d Pleasure.
Speaker 5: Good night,