Speaker 1: Frank Grimes or Grimy is he liked to be cold, taught us that a man can triumph over adversity, and even though Frank's agonizing struggle through life was tragically cut short, I am sure he's looking down.
Speaker 2: Change the channel, Marge, four Finger Discounted.
Speaker 3: Welcome to four Finger Discount, where this week we're gonna be going all the way back to season eight to review Homer's Enemy. I'm Dando and I am guy. Who are we joined by? This Weeksterdavis?
Speaker 4: We are joined by I want to say, the hardest working man in comedy, but certainly the hardest man in because one of the first things that comes up when you google him is his Men's health cover and he is looking to use the blood term. Absolutely fucking jack. It makes me feel bad. I have not seen a tour so I like that since I got out of the shower this morning. It's Ed Cavally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolute superstar in the Australian comedy scene. Like he said, he's just He's everywhere.
Speaker 4: He is everywhere, is everything everywhere all at once. He is on TV, he is on podcasts, do you know what? And other things as well.
Speaker 5: Know what?
Speaker 3: We love him the most because he's a die hard Simpsons fan. That's why he came on the show this week and he picked time his enemy, and boy was at a fun chat.
Speaker 4: It was a very very fun chat.
Speaker 3: And I love how he's very much crusty. He ends up with a great crusty joke. I won't spoil that. Let's let's spoil it, we won't spoiled. Wait to the end, way to the end. But like he basically talked to stick around talking about a crusty gag, and when it ends, it's just like, you know what.
Speaker 4: He is crusty. He's got the soul of crust of the Klowan and the body of ned Flanders.
Speaker 3: But he has got so much shit going on as well. But he gave up some time today to talk about Homer's enemy, and boy are we better for it.
Speaker 4: We are absolutely thrilled to present ed Cavally on four Thing.
Speaker 3: We ranted about what YouTube and the way it's ruining kids minds these days. Oh my god, he was shagging his fist of a cloud and iously and I'm like high five, but the same I thought I was the only one whenever I tell my friends about YouTube is ruining kids mind. I don't let him what YouTube like, Nah, don't be such a fucking old man. I'm like, no, No, it is though. It is because they get it on YouTube and they're flicking and they're flicking and they're flicking anyway. But you won't be flicking today though, because, as we said, we're going to be talking about Homer's Enemy. A fantastic episode, the Frank Grimey mcgrimes episode. We all love it. It's an episode that you don't appreciate enough until you get older. I think, is that right. I think that's correct, Yes, yes, yes, indeed. All right, Well, guys, hope you enjoy today's chat with Ed Cavalley reviewing Homer's Enemy. Will be right back at the end of the episode. Hey, guys, welcome to four Finger Discamp, the podcast that is apparently now brought to you by you Insurance.
Speaker 4: I'm Dan though and I am guy and we are very very fortunate to be joined today by the star of Going down Under Ed cavally.
Speaker 6: Great to be here. Thank you. A full retrospective there.
Speaker 5: Was originally called meat Pie out to my work selling insurance and thank you all.
Speaker 6: Now good to be here.
Speaker 5: I'm big Simpson's Fan was started, of course, at their six point thirty on the Sunday nights on Channel ten, and then through the repeats at six pm. And then of course a lot of people know I worked in a thing that used to exist called a video store, and we had all of the seasons on video, but I didn't need them because I had already taped them off the TV myself and I would watch them incessantly, just over and over and over again. And now my son, this only childre you have children and a son of a similar age. I have a seven year old son who has found it, Yes, I know who has found it on Disney Plus and he is now starting he started at the start, and we're watching them together.
Speaker 3: How great is that?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: When you see that? Unbelievable I'm watching it with Ali and there's gags that I didn't get when I was a kid, and agent now, yeah, it's so much. It's almost like you watched the show brand new again.
Speaker 6: It's just wonderful.
Speaker 5: And to hear him the things that he laughs at versus the things I versus exactly what happened and the episode we're going to talk about today. Part of the reason I chose it is because watching with him, watching him watch bad episode. There was a joke in there that I'll talk about that I didn't get until this viewing. And I have seen this episode twenty times. I'm not twenty. I've said it ten times over thirty years.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, more than that probably, Yeah, but it's a fantastic I did the same thing. There was a gag where I went, I don't remember ever hearing that, and if I did, I didn't get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: That's the skill of the show. And it's also you know, for us who will have young children, it's a it's a weapon against YouTube humor because he's desperate to watch what can only be described as fuck what's yelling?
Speaker 6: On YouTube?
Speaker 5: And I say to him, you know, he likes watching sport highlights and they're on YouTube. Who will watch it together and they'll bleed into you know, I tried a hundred different you know baseballs and then just a series of fuck what's yelling at each other? And I just know, stop that and put on this because comedy education is is why I'm sitting here right now, through the people that I had in my life that got me to go, no, you're not watching, you're not watching that, you're not watching you know, Thailand's craziest bus crashes again, why don't you watch the Simpsons? And why don't you try with now one, et cetera, et cetera. So I don't know, it seems ridiculous, but it's important to try and keep alive the idea that comedy is no people actually come together, have an idea, work hard on it, really hard, and.
Speaker 6: Can be rewatched over and over again. That's important.
Speaker 4: And this sounds very noble and very righteous. I agree when with one hundred percent with everything you're saying. It does sound like there's a bit of a Frank Grimes leaching into your personality here.
Speaker 5: But that's the other part that I've sort of you know, the people who know me Limo, who is a wonderful comedian and is the nicest guy in the known universe. He's welcome everywhere he goes, everywhere he goes, everyone's just happy to see him, and he's very much the homer to my Frank Grimes. Where we'll have a discussion. We do another podcast called You're Not Going to Like This, where we get people, you know people and we try and break their algorithms by trying to get them to watch something that they would never normally watch and see if they.
Speaker 6: Can find some joy in it.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 5: And I'll often be ranting about something and I'll get to the end of my rant and He'll just be staring at me with a smile and go, so you've never thought of that? And he'll say things like, no, ed, I never stopped to consider whether justin Timberlake could afford Air Jordan's when he said that in the Last Dance documentary. I was just enjoying Michael Jordan. And that's the pedantry of Frank Grimes, I think is a great descriptor of the world that we live in. There's two types of pedantry. There's the pedantry that you guys exude, which is pick something you love and explore it and entertain it and as celebrate it, which is wonderful. Or there's the other type of pedantry, which is go online and just tear things apart as much as you possibly.
Speaker 4: Can, hate watching find as many knits as possible and pick the hell out of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what I mean. And entertainment has sort of in a lot of ways, marvels perfect example, people go on about Bubble and I don't like those films, But the main reason I don't like them is they seem to almost be designed to be announced at Comic Con, discussed on thread on message boards, and then re announced on Comic Con, where they either say, sorry, we got that wrong.
Speaker 6: Now he's something that you do like or yeah, yeah, yeah, we meant that.
Speaker 5: When you like that bit, we meant that, And here's more of it. It's it's just a sad feedback loop, which is definitely.
Speaker 4: There's a there's a great line that's been sort of repurposed by many a podcast, but it comes from a channel called Red Letter Media where they were sort of taken the mickey out of nerd podcasters and video guys YouTube guys, where the guy was basically saying, don't ask questions, just to consume product and then get excited for the next product. It's like, and that's pretty much it when it comes to Marvel and Star Wars and all these franchises that seem to be filled with bandless imagination and now just sort of coming attractions for the next thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you know what's good about it is as usual the Simpson's got their first well comic book.
Speaker 6: Comic book man, what are we talking.
Speaker 5: Five years ago?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Ninety one ninety I didn't know what that was.
Speaker 5: That's the other great thing about the Simpsons is how many of their characters get better with time. How much even though Monty Burn's is a great character at the start, so based on Rockefeller and all those old school how amazing is he as a couldn't care less about anyone billionaire character? Now?
Speaker 4: How good is it?
Speaker 3: It's just something more relatable now than it was in nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 6: Incredible, It's incredible.
Speaker 3: Do you think the Simpsons influenced your comedy in any way or your sense of humor? Maybe in any way a.
Speaker 5: Thousand percent, because it was designed that way. And as you know, and you've had a few different guests on that have said, this is it's shorthand. When someone says the Simpsons reference and you get it, you're already you're already one step closer to being friends and sympatico. It's just it's such a shorthand way into a style of humor. And as usual, you know, just the other day I was with Working Dog, you know, the Tommy Gleisner and Rob Sitch and Tom Tom being Tom Tom's on TikTok, right, but you know he's just he's a voyeur on TikTok. No, because I said, Tom, I said, yes, you know, I know you like to watch reaction videos of rap, but I what else do you like? And he goes, no, No, no, typical Tom. He's like, no, there's actually a lot of really good comedy writers on there that dissect jokes. And because Tommy's his attention span is you know, as short as it can possibly be, because he's got three books to write. And so then we're standing there and what Rob goes, oh, yeah, and Rob just pulls up on his phone a short Simpsons clip, just one joke from the Simpsons and we all laugh, one of the ones where the Tom home is talking to the FBI, and then we all laugh and then we just get on with our day. And so it's still happening, and you go, all right, if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So many people just share Simpsons clips there. Account is sharing and they're like two hundred thousand followers.
Speaker 5: And they should be because that's nothing but net. That is nothing but net.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, exactly. So you're saying, so, why second did you pick Home as Enemy? Is this an episode that you enjoyed back when it first aired, or is it this one you've come to appreciate over time.
Speaker 5: So the first thing that tipped me off to it to rewatch it was a few years ago when Chuck close to him and brought out his book The Nineties. Oh yeah, And there's a little sidebar and there. It's an interesting book if people like to hear it, even if you didn't live through the nineties. Is he talks about Falling Down, the Michael Douglas film Falling Down, and about how it's a sort of a small film but what he calls an outweigh an outsized influence on culture, and it had, you know, a food fighter's video. There was a Metallica song I think I might have got the band wrong and a Simpson's character and I was like, oh yeah, Frank Grimes, Yeah he looks like Michael Douglas from Falling Down.
Speaker 6: I better rewatch that.
Speaker 5: So I did, and when I rewatched it, you go, ah, right, this is as pure a we know what we're doing, we know what we're getting at, and let's try and flip something fundamental in the show and see if we can make it funny. Let's get someone who's the opposite of Homer, who hates him for how easy he has things, and what's that going to do for the rest of the show. And that's why I love it, because it's just it's just pure, it's pure.
Speaker 4: I came up with this awfully wanky line when I was rewatching it. There's a lot of talking about breaking the fourth wall. Shows will break the fourth wall and acknowledge you, and this is like breaking the fourth wall inwards. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like they know they also know at that point the discourse around home and that the show switched to be about him from Bart. They know that they know that there is an inherent ridiculousness to the fact that he has.
Speaker 6: This giant house space.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been in this space like they're commenting on the idea of the storylines they've have to come up with. And who would find that the most galling And it's exactly. It's a guy who has never had a second who's never had a break in life at all, and he would shit you. He Frank Homer is like, in a weird way, those Instagram like you know, lifestyle people where they're just on jets and like hesok, it's that and Frank and Frank Grimes is everybody else on the tram going fuck it? How fuck do they have their foot? You know that it's that they got that they're miles ahead with that.
Speaker 3: I don't have two hundred k do to invest in ship mate.
Speaker 6: That's what I mean. Yeah, I don't know what, I don't know what your crypto coins called, but money to give it?
Speaker 4: Why am I a Lambeau guy?
Speaker 5: That's what I'm saying. And it speaks to that, you know, it's just out of reach or how did they get that element of it? And also of course, as always, it's just so funny. It's just so funny, like the callback, you know, the dog at the.
Speaker 4: Stime my.
Speaker 5: Money burns once home because you know, once Frank Grimes because he's seen an inspirational story of him on television, and then once a dog who's done something inspirational the next day. Second callback is then the dog's walking with them in the hallway with the little.
Speaker 6: Sash on his vice president.
Speaker 5: And then when Frank Grimes gets in trouble, the dog's barking at him. It's just he's just like, that is just so clean.
Speaker 6: Two three a.
Speaker 3: Job that he didn't want in the first place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I told me to just one, two, three banks. Just that's just sold. My son laughed at that. My son was like, there's the dog and laugh and I was like, all right, now we're getting somewhere. But with the third one he really laughed at there's the dog. Yeah, there's the dog.
Speaker 4: All the threes, but it hits the ground running this episode as well, because I mean, I'd forgotten that. It opens with Ken Bruckman's news report, and before even before you get to Ken's people, it's like, which is true, means death to us all? And now I don't but Can's people.
Speaker 6: It's like, and that's such a Simpsons joke.
Speaker 5: It really, that's a Simpson's joke for them to go, all right, here's one on the way in, then some story and there he's a feel on the way out. That's such a Simpsons thing to do.
Speaker 3: And one thing I've loved is just when they say abandoned at the age of four by his parents, and then they filmed themselves driving away.
Speaker 4: I've never realized that they're filming it.
Speaker 5: That is that that that's one of those ones where you go, all right, we have to do it. Well, they're all, we got how going to show this? What do we got that'll do nicely?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 4: And I think this is an episode that sort of hits differently when you see the different ages as well. I mean, I think when you've got a few more miles on the meter, you know, you look at it and you go, oh, you're either relating to Home or you're relating to Grimy, depends on your your state of mind at the time, your state of life, whatever. But yeah, it's a very versatile episode.
Speaker 3: I remember when I was a kid, I did not like Grimes at all, and then when I rewatched it recently, I was like, you know what, I'm actually more like Frank Grimes.
Speaker 6: Than I realized, except and therein lies the beauty of it. And that's only because they've been going.
Speaker 4: So long that and also he's been working with me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there you go. But it's designed that way. It's designed for you to go.
Speaker 5: And also the be story of bart owning a factory, they only do it like three or four times because they want to have a B story. But you go, Holy Moly, Dawn going right at the death of American the death of American as exceptionalism and manufacturing and the idea that the types of jobs that Grimey Homer have may not keep it, may.
Speaker 6: Not still exist.
Speaker 5: So there's a factory that you can own. It gone and now you go, well that is now the case. And then when they have just they need something to go right, we need something to set Grimes off.
Speaker 6: What are we going to do? What are we going to do?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 5: Home is going to win a contest for children to design a better nuclear power plant, and of course, you know, Martin comes up with the one.
Speaker 4: That's actually powers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're powering this room right now, get out. And it's just I don't know as pound for pound as an episode.
Speaker 6: I think it's personally.
Speaker 5: I mean, I love you know, if you say what's your favorite episode that you ask people, it's like, yah, I'll give you my top two hundred ye.
Speaker 6: Down from there.
Speaker 5: But just as a if you're trying to say to someone, all right, why is this show good? It's this is one where you go watch this that guy's dumb, that guy works hard. It's like you said before, it's like ah, there's something for everyone. Everyone's relating to something in this.
Speaker 3: Do you think you can enjoy this one as much if you're not a diehard Simpsons fan though?
Speaker 6: Nah?
Speaker 5: No, No, this one for us. This is one for us, which is great because the thing I hate in the Simpsons and this is you know, probably says more about me.
Speaker 6: I hate the Heart.
Speaker 5: I hate Heart, I hate I hate it.
Speaker 6: It drives me up the wall.
Speaker 5: It's the one remnant of their shows that they always reference, the ball in the family and all of those things where they feel as they have to do it. You hear the music change, like, oh god, we know you love each other, like we get it good. The only good one is when Marge Princess Jasmine, I'm going to the backseat of the car with my wife and I went back for ten minutes.
Speaker 3: That was the bowling instructor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're all cheering like that's the only bit wrong, Like that's fantastic. Every other time when it's time for Heart, like the episode I hate is the one that least of the substitute.
Speaker 6: That's just I hate that episode.
Speaker 3: So I've never quite got the hype around that one. I don't hate it about it's gone, it's whatever. I do love to do it for her moment though, that as a dad always gets me.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's yeah, all right, well that's that's which is what they want.
Speaker 3: My opinion change after I became a father, though, I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and watching it with my son this time, and I know we'll get to the one at the end. I'm picking his favorite episode as one of my five. And why he likes that episode is like, really, okay, well fair enough, but it sort of makes you go if you can get people across that first line of don't tell them when the show started, just don't tell them, yeah, and just let them pick up any episode they want, as long as it's pasted about five or three possibly they if they can't get it.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't want to tell you because this is killing it.
Speaker 3: Because a lot of my kids they are like they like the new ones just I think just because it visually looks better as well. They prefer that. They's like watching it. And I say to my wife, I say, me putting on an old Simpsons kind of like my mum putting on like a Scooby Doo cartoon from the sixties, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know that it's such an air it's a weird have that line, where does that line go? You know the line that the world record line when they show the swimming, it's like that the end of culture line, So you go, where is culture ending? As a sort of I can show this to someone and they won't go, this look shit. And it's like when I was at the video shop when I was trying to, you know, take home. You know, the world's crazy as bikers, and the two guys, Pete and Rob who ran this video stores, they actually just took them out of my hand, like watching that and I'm sixteen at this point. Okay, why hilarious? That is this guy's going to fall for Cliff and that guy is dead. But they took put those down. Why you can have mony Python and now for something completely different the thing, and you can have this, and you can have Blackadder, and you can watch these that's what you can watch. That's what you're allowed to watch, and then you can come back and tell us why you like it. And then spinal tap.
Speaker 4: Pete and Robs are like fucking bosses.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, they were as good as it gets and that so that was so crucial it was so crucial to just going, oh, I see, so there's a different way of finding jokes that is sorry, but it's better. And then the Simpsons comes along and they that's the stuff they all like. I mean, they put the guy from Spinal Tack in it for that reason, and you go, oh, I'll get it, and then you're off and that's the hope.
Speaker 4: This is something I've always said. There's a lot of hype around, a lot of sort of negative around gatekeepers, like oh god, we hate them. Yeah, the best gatekeepers aren't keeping you out, they're ushering you in. They're bringing me through the gates.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I mean this, you know, this show does that, and there's still you know, there's still so much good stuff that he's getting made and does get made. And it can be short form of cameo, TikTok, I don't know. But there's just there's a voice. This is what I call the YouTube voice.
Speaker 4: We were just talking about it.
Speaker 3: I totally relate. You can rant as much as you want about this. I'm totally in the same wavelength.
Speaker 4: Are you talking about people whore saying like this?
Speaker 6: And there's a guy I just do rewatching for this.
Speaker 5: I went on YouTube because I wanted to see the bit where he freaks out grinding again, just to see that sequence. And there was one where it was like a video of a reaction to this episode. Someone filmed themselves reacting to it. This man was in his thirties. Fuck, do I care hitting me? You've got to be kidding me that you think that you okay, all right, You've got to be joking, not adding anything, adding something you are you are subtracting from all of our lives. Everyone in everyone written in yellow What's what's a Simpsons font called to name?
Speaker 6: I can ever remember?
Speaker 3: I've called Simpsons fon, Simpsons fot whatever.
Speaker 5: Every single person written in that yellow Simpsons font has contributed more to the world in this episode than you will ever do for all of us.
Speaker 3: And that there sit there judging it, not even and just dumbley. This show is brought to you by the four Fingered Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, talking Sifould, the one about friends and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four figure discount.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was one of the reasons.
Speaker 5: The other reason I was picked this episode is I was watching it so the joke that I'd never got. So I'm sitting there with my son and they go and to go to the bar to sort of tell MO and that that he's this guy that hates him, and yeah, they're all trying to sort of come to terms with the idea that someone would hate Homer. And then you go, oh, and then he reads out his MO read out his enemy's list and his treamit a second, that's Richard Nixon's enemies list, right, And I just didn't I hadn't done enough Watergate or enough Nixon tapes time until now to go holy shit, that is and it is his list, and it's just a great joke. That's Richard Nixon's enemies list, a president that has gone for thirty something years when the episode's made, and I was like, come on, people, that is quarterbly doing that is is fantastic.
Speaker 4: But the centsens Riders were really out of heart on for.
Speaker 6: Nixon, which is odd.
Speaker 5: Just they should have been they would have been what young when he left right young? Early seventies, Yeah, seventy seventy three, when he flew away in marine too and no one ever saw him again.
Speaker 6: That's a great joke that I think. It's a Louis c.
Speaker 4: K joke.
Speaker 5: Who goes to the president just flew away one day.
Speaker 6: Which is true, but yes, you're right.
Speaker 5: And and remember he's got powerful enemies when is he what it was in the universe.
Speaker 3: Powerful the pig, the pig, powerful enemies.
Speaker 5: Just that Paranoya seventy four, he leaves and just just their their obsession with his paranoia is so funny.
Speaker 3: So funny. They then moves on to Futurama as well.
Speaker 6: I've never really watched Future Future.
Speaker 3: Richard Nixon is like the main villain of Futurama essentially becomes president of the world. Wow, you've never seen it. Billy West does an incredible Richard Nixon.
Speaker 6: I've seen some episodes of Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Just it's the genius of Swartsworld, whose name is on this episode. Look, I'm sure there are contributions from the Simpsons right in the room, but I mean it feels very swartzworlder in terms of like this is as black and grim as size that as it gets when it comes to like American cultural or world culture or whatever.
Speaker 5: So do we know if he'd seen falling down? Because yeah, I'd love to know. Maybe you could ask that. I'm sorry, I'm blanket his name with the dude who had.
Speaker 6: The book, who's excellent Sigel. Yeah, maybe ask him and.
Speaker 5: Go, hey, listen, do you know if he'd seen had he seen falling down?
Speaker 3: Because he looks like is his personality trait based on the characters are just the design.
Speaker 4: Of similar just very tightly wound, like why is the world like this when I'm you know, when I'm bolding rules?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he attacks La by himself, as Chuck Plostman says, But yeah, I'd be interested to know if he how in the banks Wort's world I had this and thought, God, this is the right guy. Or if he's watched that and going, oh, you know what, that's interesting. What if he hates Homer? He doesn't hate La, he hates Homer.
Speaker 4: I think you were probably about to bring this up because you know, but I was really stunned to discover that one of the first people they were looking out to do the voice of friend Grumbs with Nicholas Cage.
Speaker 3: Oh, that doesn't surprise me at all, because this feels like a guest role usually perfect.
Speaker 6: It does.
Speaker 5: So it is almost strange when you look it up and you go, okay, one of them did it, and he says he based it.
Speaker 6: On It's Azaria, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he does.
Speaker 3: William h Macy, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he goes.
Speaker 5: He says, he goes for William h Macy. Where you go, No, because h Macy is on the defensive. H Macy is like in Fargo, et cetera, et cetera. What he's good at exaid not the shame was but that was way later. But at that point he's good at being he is put upon.
Speaker 4: He's not. He's defensive, yeah, but he's not aggressive like in Falling Down Guy.
Speaker 6: This guy's front foot.
Speaker 5: So I was the Cage would have been amazing.
Speaker 3: I do find it interest in that they decided not to get a guest star because they wanted someone who's on the cast, because they understood the history of Homer's character as well, so they could emote correctly towards why you would be so frustrated.
Speaker 5: That is actually a very good point, and as usual if they're right, because the key scene is when he comes to his house, yep, and you live in this palace, my night job at the foundry. I live in an apartment above a bowling which is underneath another.
Speaker 3: Bow and Home's like wow, he wants that.
Speaker 6: That's the key.
Speaker 5: The key is that Homer is impressed by Grimey and thrilled by him right to the end. He's either indifferent. The only bit where he goes where he comes out and he looks in and he goes because I am Hermie Simpson, and which he does. And but that's such a clever it's such a clever way of keeping Homer in the episode because if Homer Cotton's on early and sort of they become adversaries like saying like mister plow or something, No, we've got nothing to do, grime He's got nowhere to go.
Speaker 4: They sort of stack the deck in favor of Homer in some ways by making him afraid, not afraid, but like, oh he doesn't like me.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, I want this before. He's never had an enemy, he's never had anyone go out of their way to dislike him. No, yeah, And I mean I think everyone can sort of relate to that. I mean, what's that great John Mulaney line, who's like, I want everyone to like me. Is like my wife says, you're like the mayor of nothing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, which is which is Yeah, it's a good it's a good point.
Speaker 5: But he Homer has like all the things that he stacked up when I was on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins and when he met Gerald Ford, et cetera. And I've been to space you've never been. It's just it's it's a great reminder too. You go, yeah, that's right, there was that episode. That episode was good too. They're doing a clip show without having to do a clip show.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just adding some context to the back issue of the.
Speaker 5: Show, which I don't know, which they don't love to do.
Speaker 3: They don't know, they don't.
Speaker 5: They try and make sure that you've got memory wipe at the end of every episode statusquo. Yes, I then to go on this happened. You go, oh, that's good. That's interesting. That really helps.
Speaker 3: It's definitely suited this story for sure. Yeah. I also think this episode will sort of used just to point out the absurdity, like you said, because we always in the Simpsons adds. I think what appealed to it in the beginning was it was very relatable, but by this point it was kind of anything but relatable. The characters were relatable, but what was going on really wasn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I'd love to know, you know, there's that great they'll do like the Chew to Dine Dynasty or whatever, and they'll show you, like, you know this person in rain till here and they just have lines such and such rain here and then Henry. Yeah, they to go over and then Elizabeth, Like, they'll do that. What I'd love to see is a writer's one for the Simpsons, because you go, what's the lifespan of a Simpsons writer to get to the end where you go, do you know what? I just I don't know what else? What else have I got here? Because they used to do?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: They talk about that in Seinfeld where they are they're just after.
Speaker 4: A while the tank's empty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we don't, we can't. It's too intense.
Speaker 3: It could be that you come up with an idea and then you realize you've already done it.
Speaker 6: How much must that happen on the Simpsons.
Speaker 5: Oh now, of course, can you imagine, like the most more recent ones, they're still funny. I just don't get I find it strange. No, they're not as good to go, Yeah, but they are.
Speaker 6: You just don't. You can't.
Speaker 5: It's still because you're also in nostalgia.
Speaker 3: Nostalgia plays a big role.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're a different person when you watch those first ones like these. This is a funny episodes my son's watching sort of set more recent seasons. They're funny. They're just funny. They're still funny, and that is impossible. Thirty something years in, I.
Speaker 3: Think there was a period where and they call it jerkass Home and we're in season twenty one now, the show on it from cologeal Order, and the character of Home is just so dumb down. He's not howd a cannibal for any of his bullshit anymore.
Speaker 6: I've heard you say that when he's that what's what?
Speaker 3: As some of those episodes, there is an episode that I always bring up called Codependence Day, where Marge and Homer are driving home from a party and Home has been drinking much as I'll drive, and he goes, no, I'm fine, So he drink drives, crashes the car, bails out of the car, puts her in the driver's seat, and he has her copped the reactive the result of it, and then doesn't be how to accountable for it. She apologizes at the end for being so mean to him. That's an episode that's like the apex.
Speaker 4: Of jerk out somewhere. But they had been had been leading up to that, with just he was being dumbed down more and more, it seemed, and Ye had no accountability for his actions in this regard. I mean, he's dumbed down in this, but there's a degree of accountability by way of Frank Grime sort of calling him out for this, and by extension calling us out, like you're really tolerating this, aren't you, guys? Is that this is what you want? You're really into this.
Speaker 3: But putting your wife behind the wheel of a car you smashed your drink driving, that's what Homer became.
Speaker 6: I've seen that.
Speaker 5: This is one of those ones where I'll start I'll go I haven't seen him, and I'll start watching like, ah, yeah, I got.
Speaker 6: Oh so okay.
Speaker 5: And then Lisa confronts a famous movie director about the drop and quality his films have taken.
Speaker 3: Oh was that George Lucas?
Speaker 6: One is that it must be, because yeah.
Speaker 4: That's right. They give him another name. They don't call them Lucas, but it's essentially Lucas.
Speaker 3: They have they make him a little person and everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that was shit.
Speaker 5: Oh so that's two thousand and four. So what's happening in Star Wars at two thousand and four?
Speaker 3: We've got the last that's in between Mane of the Sith comes out the following year.
Speaker 4: That's in between Attack of the Clones and Seth.
Speaker 5: All right, so we're riding that midst the mire of what has he done? You're right in the midst of what has he done? And Okay, this is an interesting I'm going to have to rewatch this one because that does read extremely like often think about the the actors, like you know, howr you shere is very forthright in talking about you know. I remember him saying I was walking through an airport in Argentina or somewhere in South America and I heard my own voice and thought, I'm not being paid for that. And he's great like that, to go, hang on, this is our likeness.
Speaker 6: Our image.
Speaker 5: I wonder what they do when they pick up a script like that. I wonder if any of them said, geez, guys, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Harry said. We interviewed him many years ago, Harry and Harry said there was a moment where, in better terms, basically said I stopped caring. Was when he said Flanders. He said Flanders wouldn't say this, and they said it doesn't matter, and he goes, I realized I was writing jokes and assigning it to characters as opposed to getting a character and writting a joke for them.
Speaker 7: Oh that is very interesting, okay, because there's a what I heard an interview with one of the producers once and he said something very interesting.
Speaker 5: One of those guys that start, you know, those really rich guys. There's the guys at the start, really rich dude to the end of somewhere rich, the.
Speaker 6: Guys that started really rich.
Speaker 5: And one of them said he was very into animal welfare and whatever. Yeah, have you heard him talk about this where he goes his wife kind said to him, oh, hey, what are you doing You pay for like some giant horse thing somewhere You've spent all our money And he goes.
Speaker 6: What day is it? She goes Wednesday. There's no what days?
Speaker 3: Is it.
Speaker 6: The eighth? There's eighth?
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, Simpsons check arrives on the fourteenth, so we'll be rich again.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 5: It's a great it's a great line, and it's a great story, and even if it's half through, it's wonderful.
Speaker 6: It's stuck with me that line.
Speaker 4: Also, that wife turned out to be Jennifer Tilly, so I think Sam Sung was doing right for himself for Tilly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 6: Okay, we're all learning something.
Speaker 3: I'm learned a little something to this episode here though, as we're saying, very divisive. I love going back through the forums from the nineties when season seven eight of The Simpsons was on and everyone's saying, the show's no good anymore, they need to cancel it. What happened to add beloved show? This is season seven eight of The Simpsons.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, there's everything you need to know. Yeah, there is everything you need to know. It's like going back and reading reviews of Shakespeare from people who you know, from local local wags that saw it, and she's and said that, you know, she's king lib bang Gon for a while, so you know, it's that it's there is no value in review.
Speaker 6: I'm doing this thing.
Speaker 5: SBS is doing a really smart thing at the moment where they're replaying old David and Margaret movie show episodes, and the really strong impression you get is this was a complete waste of time.
Speaker 6: He hated the.
Speaker 4: Castle, hated Romba Stomper, God.
Speaker 6: Rest his soul.
Speaker 5: He's since he sort of walked it back over the journey and you don't have to love the cars. Well that's fine, whatever, but it's just the other day, it's just like, oh my goodness, you're right. Review and criticism in that well you're not trying to push the ball forward in any way, is a complete waste of time. And that must be like those forum people, what was their best case scenario? Like what's a home run? If you're a forum what was good at that time? Also like what's a home run for a forum commenter? Yea, what is a home run?
Speaker 4: It used to be running first, like you were the first comment?
Speaker 5: Is the thing you go first? So if you were first, so you thought of something first.
Speaker 4: I was just saying the word further comment.
Speaker 6: Just saying first, saying anything.
Speaker 4: Real Algonquin Roundtable in the forums that's excellent.
Speaker 6: That's excellent.
Speaker 3: Still you still see this ship on YouTube. We put a video up and this is like, first, I'm like cool, thanks all contribution. By the way, as someone who used to make a living as a as a film critic, my mighty heart is breaking.
Speaker 4: I'll be in the humpy.
Speaker 5: Well well then then let me ask you, then, what do you think because I've got a rule. I've had a rule that I've tried to that I think should be enforced. You shouldn't be allowed to write to review a film until you've made on.
Speaker 4: Does this count sex tapes?
Speaker 6: Of course?
Speaker 3: That's what I mean.
Speaker 5: I did an art history degree at UNI, right, and it was at Sydney University and it was a three year degree and I got it just under six years.
Speaker 6: So I came in under the.
Speaker 5: Wire and I that was just an excuse to be there, to go and meet people and do comedy, et cetera, which it's sort of turned into.
Speaker 6: But you know, I'm good in the gallery.
Speaker 5: With my wife and I went and saw the Impressionist the other day and I'm like, yeah, I'm pretty good in this gallery and I was.
Speaker 6: But you realize, you go, what just what? So what.
Speaker 5: So my question to you, as someone who made a living reviewing films, which watch which outlets?
Speaker 4: I was with the paper down here, the Advertiser, but also did a TV guide that was syndicated around the country. If you're on the.
Speaker 5: Cases as well, said the Advertiser. Right, So let's say that you're a reviewer for The Guardian today. You know, before you start watching something, what.
Speaker 4: You have to give it that scans you have to like.
Speaker 5: There are certain things that have to get five starts, and there are certain things that, if the Guardian is to maintain itself, have to get one. So in the Advertiser, how did you sift the like, how did you sift? Like, all right, what are we doing here? It's like because you have some who likes things, So how did you sift which things were going to be cannon for Advertiser readers and viewers.
Speaker 4: I like to think they actually gave me a fair bit of leeway in that regard. I mean I didn't really get the word from up top. It's like, okay, a new Australian movie or say new twentieth century Fox product given of the Advertiser. I was never sort of given a directive in that sense.
Speaker 5: I mean, you would have had a sense in your mind, so you're not going to go and watch you know, give me some years, Give me some years that.
Speaker 6: That you did it.
Speaker 4: I was from mid nineties to mid twenty ten.
Speaker 5: Which is amazing time because there were so many good films. Absolutely, let's say you went and saw Adaptation, so I know that if I'm on Triple J I've got to give it five stars and pretend I know something. Right, what's the what are you doing? Okay, right, I talk to you about Adaptation? Fun?
Speaker 6: What am I going to do here?
Speaker 4: It's a weird thing because I mean I sort of recognized I'm doing. I'm not really doing in depth film criticism here. I'm not going here to cinema or something like that. I'm basically doing consumer about what you're going to watch on a Saturday night, you know.
Speaker 6: Which is great. That's a great service. That's different.
Speaker 5: That is a different service because that is the sift, and we need people who help more than anything. Now, the sift. That's a different service. That's a great service.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But by the time anotation came out, which is like two thousand and two or whatever, I like to think the people who were reading my stuff. Realize, Okay, guy likes this. I can trust him on this. I mean I had friends who were saying, I like reading the reviews because I know what not to watch, because your taste and mine are completely similar.
Speaker 6: Which is that is good?
Speaker 5: That is that is a worthwhile exercise in the sift what I call the sift, you know, versus just this is shit or this isn't or knowing, like knowing the bias of the thing before you go into it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the thing of it is, Yeah, you don't want to be sort of you don't want to be a snob, but you don't want to be sort of down talking either. You don't want to be saying well, folks go and enjoy Independence Day. I guess yeah, I know.
Speaker 6: See that's the thing that's key.
Speaker 5: Like what about like something like armageddon or you know, do you know where that rubber hits the road with this?
Speaker 6: Connie, I was.
Speaker 3: A kid in Conne. I loved Conye but the best Yeah, yeah, it was great. Yeah, I mean it's it's it knows because it knows exactly what it's trying to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly right. It's coherent and it's a little bit smarter than it needs to be, but it also just hits you in the pleasure center because that's its job.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 4: We're gonna throw Dave Chappelle out of a plane. Sorry spoiler for conne folks, but you know, and Nicolas Cage is going to speak in this weird drawl and Malcovich is going to chew the scenery. But at the same time, you know, you've got that line where they're introducing ving Range's character and is like, yeah, he wrote his revolutionary manifesto in jail. They're looking at Denzel for the lead. It's like, that's great fucking funny and that's smart, and you know that's smuggling the dog medicine and the peanut butter is what I'm doing.
Speaker 6: So ye, it's getting back to the cenisons.
Speaker 5: We're better get back to the point being that no one does it better than they do, and that's what this episode is. That's why I bring it up, because no one does it better than they do over a long period of time, and that's why I was interested. When you're talking about Home or sounds like, I wonder if what Harry Shira said there is very instructive because that makes you go, all right, that attitude times ten people, and you can lose the idea of the sort of gauge of what Home is up to.
Speaker 6: That's how it could happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because so many times recently haven't we said that's a funny line. Doesn't really suit that character though, but it's just yeah, and it feels like recently we say recently season twenty one they picked that. It's like the writers whom have their favorites for the season. So sidehame Mail in like season nineteen twenty appeared in like every single episode with a big monologue. This guy picked like ten episodes in the Golden Ear and now is in every episode.
Speaker 6: Well, his best joke.
Speaker 5: Is when bart is I think he's the one where he's the preacher and he's dancing down the aisle and faith off, yeah, faith off, and Si Joe Male stands up and says he's kicking at the old school like that. That's that's the side Joe Mail's joke is to be contemporary in a Shakespearean and the.
Speaker 3: Stuff he was yeah, yeah, but when he's doing it every episode, yeah, it was bizarre.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, one thing I do love about Simpsons D again is that I feel like they introduced me to so many key elements of pop culture about me even realizing it. There are so many moments where you' watching it going as a kid, I don't know what's happening here, but this has to be something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I've heard a few people on your guests on your show say, and you know, even yourselves that when you watched it initially, if you watched it with someone older and something they laughed at that you didn't understand. And my son, one of the things I love with my son is I made a stupid rod for my own back back was when he was started to talk and asked I said to myself, I will never say I don't know to him. If he asked me something, I will never say I don't know. So I'll say I'll either know it or I'll say all right, and then we'll work it out. Because I've got the whole world. I've got everything that's ever been known ever in my pocket. I have no right to say to him I don't know, because that's just laziness to not look into the machine that knows everything ever and tell him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but did you forget about the bandless curiosity be young.
Speaker 5: That's the issue.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I'm like a fucking town librarian. I am all gay.
Speaker 5: I'm making I'm making the JFK Records Act every fucking day because I am down in the weeds of this kid. And sadly, he's got a bit of my pedantry about him, which is, you know, tough going for all of us. But it's like meeting myself. It's awful and where he's the greatest. But you know what I'm saying, I was like, oh, this must be one of us to be around, like to be around.
Speaker 4: Me, So then HEKMA.
Speaker 5: But anyway, he's the greatest thing of all time. Of course, as is my daughter who's three years old. And my secret found me. They're nice too, so they so you know, I never say that. So I'm now we watch pause, what Daddy, what's a you know, well, who's Richard Nixon's Is that Richard Nixon's enemies list? I'm like, yeah, okay, that one. I know, no worries every time. We're just watching and he's just he says, Daddy watched this. Daddy was at Daddy was this, And I love it because I am thrilled by the idea of going, oh, okay, well they're referencing a movie where this happens, or that's because this person used to do that, or that's based on this person.
Speaker 3: I love it and he's interested.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's just it's so fun to sit there with him and just sort of, you know, pick the references as we go.
Speaker 6: It's so fun.
Speaker 4: There's nothing better than being able to teach, except being able to teach someone who really wants to learn.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, And while we're laughing, while we'll laughing, you know, it's just he just laughing.
Speaker 3: He just laughs about it. Does he ever turn to you to sort of go, was that funny? Like my son, I find someone I'm watching it and I'm laughing sort of look at me, and he goes, oh, that must be funny. I'm gona laugh as well.
Speaker 5: That was Nixon's enemies list. When I saw it, I laughed, and he goes, who's that? I go, all right, here we go Nixon blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: This show is brought to you by the four figure discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down the South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Seifeld, the One about Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four figure discount.
Speaker 5: My favorite favorite moments, it's when he Grimey rots out to the house and this that the first, the disheveled nature of Grimy, that he's going to another job, and that the family's all lined up and everyone's perfect. It's this tiny moment where he goes, Simpson, I have to get to my job, and he stops me.
Speaker 6: He goes, he goes with his house.
Speaker 5: That's I love that bit because just so it's funny, but it's just so, it's perfectly written, it's perfectly timed.
Speaker 6: It's just so perfect.
Speaker 4: One of my favorites is an immediate follow on from that, where he's like, how can you afford to live in a house? Lives at home? Is like, don't ask me how the economy works.
Speaker 6: Don't ask me how the economy works. Is just her. It's so spot on. I agree with you.
Speaker 5: The first the opening montage to get us to know what Grimy is.
Speaker 3: Like, is just abanded by his parents at the age four.
Speaker 4: Heaven Delivering presents the more fortunate.
Speaker 5: Delivering presents the more fortunate. I mean, you're never going to write a joke as good as that. You can just hope that at some point you're.
Speaker 3: Close pitching himself to feel pain again.
Speaker 6: Healthy and fails to feel pain again. Oh man, that is.
Speaker 5: And then the dog, the dog, the first part of the dog, get me that dog, And then the dog's barking at Grimy when he's cross with you.
Speaker 3: That is threatening, threatening of a job they didn't even ask for in the first place.
Speaker 6: We didn't want.
Speaker 5: That's just so wonderful. And tell you what else is really good in the b story when Bart wanders past the thing what gonna get for a Latin number of seventy one seventy a buck? The phrase a buck, and then that the little auction you're going off.
Speaker 4: That's all. I'm just looking at Dando's notes here under favorites, and we've both got hey, hey, stretch, what's the good work so much?
Speaker 3: Because he's not being a jerk, he's trying to be nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I can see how that would get incredibly irritated.
Speaker 5: I stretch, what's yeah, that's a really good joke as well, so that that that's my the chief And then of course everyone's favorite moment when Grimy or Grimy as you into the coffin's the channel mode and everyone starts laughing that is my son really laughed at that, and I really laughed at that, and you go, because that's one of those things where they've written it so well that you're thinking to yourself.
Speaker 6: How are they going to get themselves out of this one?
Speaker 5: And then watching my son, Oh, I died, I died, and then he laughs at changed the channel, change the gam.
Speaker 3: Just what's what to say about the death of Grimy?
Speaker 4: Ry was asking for it?
Speaker 6: Classic spots well done.
Speaker 5: One of the great things about him is you will never pin him down to sincerity, and that is just such a fresh air in my dream in life. Is that he gets forced to go on one of those shows that I call Millionaires winging, where rich people go on podcast to cry about how vulnerable they are.
Speaker 6: That is.
Speaker 4: CEO fucking see it.
Speaker 6: So they yeah.
Speaker 5: So that to me is just that's one thing I love about him. And there's such a nineties attitude, that is a nineties attitude done to perfection, that that sort of I don't want to sell out even though I'm a zillion are staying mildly what's the word cantankerous, but not being an asshole about it. It was just what Conan. I've heard Conan speak about it before. You know, Conan talked about how it was the worst time of his life. It was the best time of his life. But you realize with Conan, because he's such a crazy, goofy affable fellow, that the discipline which he talks about that was drummed into him in those in those years while he retained that zaniness is just so great. That's why though his episodes are so good, I think because it's his insanity and zaniness butting up against.
Speaker 6: The swartsworlders of this world. That just going nut.
Speaker 5: It's got to have an edge to it, it's got to have a bit of cantankerous to it. And so but you don't lose any spirit when you do it. And the Conan episodes, I think have the best supplementary characters that that that that we get.
Speaker 3: Through Laura Langley, Laura Powers and and the three nerds.
Speaker 6: Was that he you would call yeah, yeah, there's the Dean.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, if you want to, and straight away you go, well, now the Pretenders, I don't know the pretenders were.
Speaker 5: My boss, Pete was a music nerd, so he told me who the pretenders were, and then we would watch a pretender's think, I do you know the pretenders were?
Speaker 6: That he showed me.
Speaker 4: That's the thing when they're throw in gags like that. I mean, I forgot which episode it is, but Martin Prince has some gag where it's like first call against ten tickets a super tramp, super.
Speaker 5: Tramp and everyone laughs, and having done commercial radio, I'm like, that's me.
Speaker 6: I have done versions of that. Well, let's not forget that.
Speaker 5: When the when when the Flanders loses this house and they have to go to the strip shop to get clothes, is it Todds in a butthole surface? Yes, look look daddy, I'm a surfer. And of course you go.
Speaker 6: That's funny, okay.
Speaker 5: They had that one single, and apart from that, they were like an Narco Siminus commune who played weird jam music, which you know, something that close to him brings to mind and you go, yeah, and the big and then you go, oh, that's funny. And then you subsequent reading years later, reading something close to him, wrote, you go yeah, and they awes them to shriek to uh, to abbreviate it to the BS no, to the B eight surfers when it was on radio, and you know, so that's just a that's a six level joke, which is as good as it gets.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Another moment for me is the super relatable not even in the ape, it's in the B plot and it's relatable as I get old as a kid, didn't quite get why this was funny, but Millhouse was walking around saying, so, this is my life, this is.
Speaker 5: My life is It's like, you know, you know, you guys talk a lot about things to get means, and of course the number one is that through the which through the hedge is you know, one day I'd love someone to do a really good, smart definitive how the fuck did through the Hedge become the meme to end all memes.
Speaker 3: I'm the same with steamed hands and it's not a funny joke, but it's a great reaction. It's a gift.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, but what's that?
Speaker 5: How did it go from that in a Simpsons episode to a world star of Now.
Speaker 3: It's a funk o pop.
Speaker 5: Well, I'd love to anyway, I'd I would just I'd love that.
Speaker 6: I'd love to know that.
Speaker 5: Also, Kner wrote the New York episode, which didn't make my list but.
Speaker 3: Should have now a the Three, didn't He Yeah, because he wrotes the city of New York versus Homer. Now that was like season that was like season eight. He less in like season four.
Speaker 5: I thought he wrote nine. I thought he wrote some of that one for nine.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe maybe he contributed to it. Yeah, but he's a soul writer on the Okay, maybe you're right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 5: That's got the Well, that's not the world's greatest joke in it.
Speaker 6: Give me again a drink Mountain j.
Speaker 4: Or crab juice, crab juice, Give me a crab juice.
Speaker 5: And then years later that guy in an episode where he's got a crab juice and hula halash like Empire around America.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Cam, I so good, am I?
Speaker 6: But who's got that institutional memory?
Speaker 5: They're sitting there, they're going, we need someone who sells food, and someone goes you know what, what if the guy from fifteen years ago who sold hull halash and crab juice on a street vending machine. Now, like, who who is the person you go to find this out for me? And I'd love you to let me who is the person who holds the institutional memory at the Simpsons as it Gene? I would love is it our Gene?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he's the guy that go to and he'll go we did that in episode seven four zero to season twelve, we can't do it again.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's so it's ol Gene who does that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he was out at the start and he left for a while to do the critic and then he came back critics.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's dense. That's a whole backstory between the critic and versus the Simpsons where they Matt Granny was not a fan. That's because they brought the character onto the Simpsons. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it spit dodgy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's one of those that's one of those who came up with this scenario.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know. But but following for me is that I do love the Smithers. Smithers is gay gags from the folding the Golden here, which was just subtle enough where if you're a kid, didn't really know what's going on. But when Ralph brings out the malibous Stacey dream house, it's pretty good, sir.
Speaker 9: It's pretty good, sir. It's a great joke. It's pretty good, sir that I think. Do you know what I realized? You know when I got that joke? I know exactly. I remember the exact moment where I was like, oh, I think you might be gay. I can't remember which episode it is, but you'll tell me. When they turned on Smithers's computer and.
Speaker 3: He's, hello, Smithers, quite good turning me on, you probably should ignore that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now you know, because it's up to me because I've got to go and do a thing in the minute. So here's my I've got to I'm gonna leave you with I'm going to tell you my marathon.
Speaker 6: Yeah marathon.
Speaker 5: Now I'm going to leave you with the joke that is that is currently inspiring a show that we are trying to make me and me and people who know that I reference every day when we're doing it and even send them the video Simpson's joke that changes everything. Here we go, So mine is monorail, because you have to have monail. It's just the way it is. I'm sorry, but it's just the way it is. The other day I heard something someone get on a soccer show gets something wrong about the Simpsons episode.
Speaker 3: Mate.
Speaker 5: I was close to a four on I know the guy that does show, and I almost text him like, whoa wait? A star is Burns the film the film with a critic as a firm film criticuing because it's got my son's favorite joke in it. Can you guess what my seven year old son's favorite Simpsons.
Speaker 6: Joke so far?
Speaker 3: I'm getting hit by football is a George. She's got getting hit in the nuts?
Speaker 4: Yeah, grind football in the boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. My son loves it to just he loves the sound offfect dwink. The joint is perfect and Homer's follow up laugh absolutely is just the button.
Speaker 6: Takes him a second to get it.
Speaker 5: My son is helpless, so we'll play football outside and then I was just pretending to get hitting the groan and go football in the ground and he is helpless. Home of the great You have to you just can't not. You can't if you don't love the stone kind of I'm sorry. I can't help you. I can't help you if you don't think that's the best thing to ever happened.
Speaker 3: I supporters on Patreon arrasting that we call them.
Speaker 6: That's perfect. Home is the Enemy, and then Homer Batman is mine.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's rock bottom.
Speaker 1: It's just so, it's like it's starring Dennis friand Dennis France is in that yes, running over a cat.
Speaker 5: It's just yeah, it's got everything. Once again. Take the date off it, change the aspect ratio, polish it up, put it out today, and you'll be hailed as a genius.
Speaker 3: It's more reliable now than it was then.
Speaker 4: Mate, don't take your anger around on me.
Speaker 6: It's nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 3: How did they amazing?
Speaker 5: And I'll leave you with this. So talking Krusty is in the Lisa Versus Malibu Stacey, right, and so please put this in after I wander off. Now, So Lisa is about to go and record Lisa Lionheart on the door opens.
Speaker 3: Crusty's in a.
Speaker 5: Tennis uniform, all right, and he runs through the thing.
Speaker 6: He's got a cigar.
Speaker 5: Hey, hey, okay, here we go talking crasty lines. Yeah, I'm talking crusty. Take take two, say Jill Mouth, Si chi Mouth, I'm done, and he leaves and you hear the cargo and then they pan back and the guy is putting the real on to record it, and he says, Okay, Kristy, we're ready to Kresty. And Krusty's gone. So we're trying to make the show and there's got a lot of cameos in it. And I've been testing this thing. It's called talking crusty. If you've got someone who you're asking for their time, and they're giving you their time, which is great. Your only job is to be ready for when they get there.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 5: That's all you gotta do. If you're ready for them, then let them get the fuck out of there, because they've got whatever it is, they're busy, and so you go all good. That talking Krusty is such a great metaphor for just fucking get just hurry up, hurry up life.
Speaker 4: Lesson, learn from a professional kid.
Speaker 5: Professional kid, because he's he's right, says arming and ring and wasting everyone's time.
Speaker 6: Thanks, he's right first, he is.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, all right, Well thank you so much. I do I know you're a very busy man, we do appreciate you being here this week and yeah, all the best for it comes in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: Well it's been a pleasure, guys, thank you very much for having me. It's a great show. I love that you're doing it. It's just such a great thing to be celebrating it. And long way it continue because it's I'm loving the interviews you get. It's really fast, even for Simpson's nerd like me. It's absolutely fascinating. So well done to both of you.
Speaker 4: Jed, appreciate it. Come back anytime, mate, Thanks Jed's.
Speaker 3: I said is Ed Cavaliy's portion of this week's show. What a gentleman, what a character, what a professional.
Speaker 4: Very very much so. I mean we all have I think a long standing relationship with Ed from the Australian entertainment community everybody, and he generally comes across as a very pleasant kind of brought the heater. He was throbbing fast. Great, it was great, it was fantastic. I loved it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, come back any type. But right now we're gonna be doing our run through portion of Homy's Enemy because you know he's a very busy man. Ad So we got out. We've got an hour out of him. That's he's got you know, pie too, remember the rest he schooled us?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? But yeah, okay, let's have your time, trip your time? Why not?
Speaker 3: Next question?
Speaker 4: You there eating the paste?
Speaker 3: All right, go for it, my face. Your first question.
Speaker 4: My first question home had how many beers at lunch? Oh?
Speaker 3: Ten?
Speaker 4: Three?
Speaker 3: Three? All right? My first question is gramy got a diploma in nuclear physics with a minor in what.
Speaker 4: A minor in determination?
Speaker 3: Got?
Speaker 4: That whole news story was fantastic.
Speaker 3: I know, we'll get there.
Speaker 4: Whose bordello was it?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 3: I should know. I should have rewatched it this morning. No, what was it? Aunt Bulah, Bulla's bordello? Yes, Bulla's bordello. My next question is Bart's factory? Was item number?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Damn, I'm gonna say two.
Speaker 3: Seven fifty one, so I'm completely wrong.
Speaker 4: Uh. And my last question.
Speaker 3: For you is what is Lisa's iq ah? This was part of the trivia night that we went to recently. Is it one?
Speaker 4: You're after a good start?
Speaker 3: One forty seven, You're very close on fifty seven? One five, five six, damn? Because no one? And then I didn't know. I was like, when did they do that' like it's in Home's Enemy and I'm like, oh shit, I shouldn't go.
Speaker 4: Everyone's see the see the words there, that's that guy.
Speaker 3: I just write the questions. No, I just read the questions. Are we going to host any trivia ardwer We are? I think we shure we will.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, partly because it's fun and partly because you know when I get paid.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes we will. Indeed, it's coming up. Sorry, what a grifter I am. That's terrible. My final question is who was on mo slash Richard Nicks enemy list? Give me two of the names.
Speaker 4: Oh god, damn it.
Speaker 3: I just Jane Fonder, Daniel Shaw and Jack Anderson Jack Anderson.
Speaker 4: Okay, Jane Fond was on there.
Speaker 3: She did not like Nixon at all.
Speaker 4: No, she was. She was very political back in the day. Good and consider what a huge star she was. I mean, that's it's pretty ballsy. I mean it'd be someone like you know, Jay Law or Margot Robbie coming out now and basically saying if you mister Trump, yeah, but or Taylor Swift even I don't think she's going to do that. I just jacked up our se.
Speaker 3: Oh by the way, but Taylor, We're going to buy another other streaming services are.
Speaker 4: As our own personal pr We love you Taylor.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get into her review showing why not give me have one more question? I know you want to do it?
Speaker 4: No, no, I don't I have one more That sort of an adjunct to the first question, which was, like, by Heleni's count, how many times should Homer have died by?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 3: Okay, three hundred and sixteen sixteen?
Speaker 4: I said to you, gotta keep all this in.
Speaker 3: He said, no, there's a good chance that he might have just to make me look cool, enjoy there's by I'll be a clip. Come back anytime then, Kevin, and you'll want to really watch it.
Speaker 4: I hope that's racking up numbers. That's that's my best clip today. You're you're the one who made it, but I mean I'm the stone forget you forgetting.
Speaker 3: All right, still kind of shout outs. Before we get into today's run through, We've got Katy g with her incredible one hundred O sport. Thanks you to watch Katy G. Thank you, Katie and Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach Pruitt, Shanny Macker, Elliott J. O'Neil, Isabella Murphy, Reach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean d V, Pete Anderson, Timothy Burlson, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dazel, planned flood of Ballo, Window and Jack McFadden, Heath Apple, be Adam McCloud, tre Leven Ginger and Pickle Preston Murray, Talia Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan b James Shepherd, Joe Ridden, Sect, Dave Pretzels McNally, Gavinlang, Dammy Miller, Charlie Joe and Abigail B. Shapcat. I think if it being stonecut at top Tier Supporters of ours at fourth Finger Discount, absolute champions, each of every single one of those people aren't.
Speaker 4: There, Oh my gosh, Yes, love, adore, respect, admire.
Speaker 1: But I grew up.
Speaker 4: We're going to marry all of them.
Speaker 3: This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpson's reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifould the one about friends and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four finger discount. Right. So, the original edit of Homer's Enemy was May fourth, nineteen ninety seven. Sometimes the top three films at the US box office A bit of a hint there, what do you think they were? Number one was, oh, I think of the date nineteen ninety seven and the date May the fourth on nineteen ninety seven. What came out in ninety seven? It's the re release of st Star Wars Special Editions. Yeah, so number three was Empire Strikes Back. Number two was Dottie Brascot, and number one was a New Hope. So George had two of the top three boxes of films he'd already made, What a Grifter? What a Grifter? But you know, were loving for it. But I remember going to see those Star Wars Special editions. That was the first time I've obviously seen Star Wars in the cinema, and I remember seeing the jab of the Hut and going even as like a I would have been what eight going in Q? Pretty good? Yeah, I do remember that. I can remember watching the new stories for it, saying new scenes of Star Wars. It felt exciting at the time. Oh sure, Yeah, it's like check out this new scene of a pound solo and jab of the heart and stuff like that. And then you're watching it and you're like, like when he's going up and over the tail in twenty twenty five, they haven't fixed.
Speaker 4: It still looks shit even the whole You know, Harn shot first thing. They need, no need. It was clear that greed I was going to kill him. Yah. Hahn was well truly justified and shooting first because Greta was about to shoot. Correct.
Speaker 3: Yes, he doesn't have the wait to be shot act before he has to shoot somebody.
Speaker 4: That's right, And you know it builds Harn's story as well. I mean he starts off he's a little bit Ruthlessly'm not sure percent sure if you can trust this guy by the end who comes back to help save the day. Chewey. That's right. Spoilers for Star Wars.
Speaker 3: That's what Ali got out of his charing.
Speaker 4: Did a fist pump I should hope so yeah, hopefully didn't hit anybody.
Speaker 3: The chop ball gave for this episode. I did not learn everything I need to know in kindergarten, which is reused from the episode You Only Moved Twice with Hank Hank Scorpio and the Causch gave bart Is green so have a read just the TV to fix his color and then slaps him on the back of the head to fix it all up. The episode kicks off with a Brocklyn news report, which, if true, means death for us was touched on.
Speaker 4: With Ed, one of my favorite sis.
Speaker 3: Yes, now it's Kent's People and there's the Franks Graham story. So we've already touched on with Ed, but the abandoned at by his parents at the age of four, and they film it. It's the drup you way and Frank's look like a four year old is going, oh well, this is my life.
Speaker 1: And now Cat's People. Tonight's inspiring story is about Frank Grimes, a thirty five year old Springfield height who's earned everything the hard way but never let adversity get him down. Abandoned by his parents at age four, Frank never got to go to school. He spent his childhood years as a delivery boy delivering toys to more fortunate children.
Speaker 4: Then on his.
Speaker 1: Eighteenth birthday, he was blown up in a silo explosion. During his long recuperation, he taught himself to hear and feel pain again. As the years passed, he used his few leisure moments each day to study science by mail. And last week Frank Grimes, the man who had to struggle for everything he ever got, received his correspondence school diploma in nuclear physics with a minor in determination.
Speaker 3: They're sitting up from the get go that life's not going to be easy for this guy.
Speaker 4: But nevertheless still going to power through because he believes that if you work hard and believe in yourself, you know, and commit, things will eventually go right for you.
Speaker 3: Clearly never watched the Simpsons because the lesson has never tried, has never tried. Yes, but mister Burns is watching this on the TV, and he realized that's the kind of man that he wants working for him, must have making his junior vice president.
Speaker 4: A scraper, a self made band like me.
Speaker 3: So he asked me this to bring him so he can make him the executive executive vice president. I'm not junior vice prist the executive vice president. The next day, Smithers brings in old Roaming and mister Burns has completely forgotten about him because he's now seen a story about a brave dog who pulled a todder from the path of a spinning car and push a criminal right in front of it. Find to me, you find this dog to make him my junior vice president. Well, that's the dog's junior vice president. Yes, and he introduces Frank Grimes, who put him somewhere out of the way and find that dogging. It feels so so over Grimy, as I said with ed, he didn't ask for this job. He got brought in and hidden.
Speaker 4: And it just turned out terribly for him. By the way, we're just as complicit. You'll call him grimy from the get go. It's not his name. It's not his nickname that he wants.
Speaker 3: I don't care what gives stretch.
Speaker 4: Who cares what this guy wants?
Speaker 3: So Homer is now spinning on his chair. Chair goes round, chair, goes round. Lenny and can ask if you're busy. Yep, I'm busy. And it suggests we should probably meet Frank Grimes. He's the next guy, new guy. I'm kind of dizzy. He should probably go home sick. Grimes is sorting his pencils out and they're watching him through the window. Walks it you knew. It's kind of like when you get into a cab busy.
Speaker 4: Night, mate, Always do it, Always do it.
Speaker 3: You have to do it. It's almost like they expect it. If you're disappointed if you don't ask.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it takes the drivers. Uber's Yeah, just.
Speaker 3: Story. Nick and I we went out for town and recently on the town, recent for a birthday.
Speaker 4: Cool story of his more it's.
Speaker 3: More yes, And we got into a cab, not a Nuba, and we got about five minutes down the rain just goes, yeah, my night's been good. Thanks, and we're like, oh, are we supposed to ask?
Speaker 4: I broke the social contract?
Speaker 3: Oh dear, I'm just joking, just joking, But for a brief I was like, oh's part of the transaction. But yeah, Lenny introduces Karl.
Speaker 4: I'm Lenny.
Speaker 3: He's Karl. I'm Lenny, just basically pointing out these guys have nothing to add to Frank Grimes's life at all. But Homer can't believe that he has pencils with his name on him. It's way too fancy for him. And Grimes tells and that any office supplies company can have you made from It just feels very Frank Grimes, doesn't it that he'd have his name on his own pencil?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: Do you think he does that because it's just makes him feel more important, or because he's just trying to say these are mine, don't touch.
Speaker 4: I think he's trying to sort of assert his personality and affirme his own identity is.
Speaker 3: Well, everything he does has he's labeled, like he's lunch got my name on it.
Speaker 4: His name. So much has been taken away from his life that he needs to get a bit predicted as you would be, wouldn't think so? Yeah, But then Homer asked, can I have a pencil? No? Can Lenny?
Speaker 3: No? Then he shows off his degree in nuclear physics, and Homer says that they've all got what except for Homer. I'm here to show up the day they opened the plant. Now, if this was said in a season twenty episode, I'd be annoyed by it, right, because it's clear that that's not how Homer got the joint of the power plant. If you've watched season one of the show. So in season eight, were people annoyed by this? I don't think so. So when people say, oh, no, they've changed the history, it's like they've been doing it since season, if not earlier.
Speaker 4: Continuity. Just roll with it. It, just just roll with it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, well listen, I'm sure we all have a lot of work to do.
Speaker 2: M Hey, do you make a great guy? So we'll give you a little tip. If you're turning the security camera around, you can sleep and no one will ever know.
Speaker 3: I don't think we're being paid to sleep.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they're always trying to screw you.
Speaker 3: Margin's then trying to buy a personalized license plate. Marge's taking and tries Marjorie no Mitzi Mitsi's taken? Can you have nitzy y? Have you ever been a situation where it's like I've got to set off or something?
Speaker 4: Is this good enough? I guess no, sure, yeah, I mean not necessarily personalized number plates.
Speaker 3: Just were trying to make it like a user account. It's like, oh, guy Davis has taken. What do you mean it's taking? Oh that's true, Yeah, I mean, what do you mean it's another Brendan Dando out there in the world.
Speaker 4: There are oftentimes it's like, well, if I can't have this email address or whatever, then figured I'm just learning.
Speaker 3: And meanwhile, though Bard is bored by listening to this conversation. So he goes to listen to the tax seizure's auction and he bid bids a buck on a seven fifty one, which turns out to be a thirty five industry way, which is an abandoned factory. Yeah, it would be fucking awesome, wouldn't it be if you just owned a factory like it's yours. It just it just sit there making money because it's going to be worth money eventually, right sure, well if not, if.
Speaker 4: Not the buildings, then certainly, And that's what I'm to say, Yeah, how do you get this for a buck? Yeah? House?
Speaker 3: Have you ever been to an auction that wasn't there won an auction that wasn't eBay, Like you even gone to a house auction or.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been to a couple of house auctions, have a bid on it. I think maybe before I bought my house, there was one or two that I did bid on. Yeah, but I realized, like, I think there's going to be out of my range. But yeah, I'll just say at the low end. Yeah, and made me feel all grown up.
Speaker 3: We went to check out a house viewing recently, and they're gonna have an auction at the end of it, and we were just like, I'll just check on out. We want to see what the viewers like from this area of Geelong. And then the auction started and nobody bid, and the homeowners just sort of stand there any bits, any bits, and sort of standing there, and I was sort of thinking, my do I start it? Do I start with a bid? And that I'm like, no, because then no one else might. You're lumbered with this dud. If you put your hand up and say you want to bid on something, do you legally have to then pay it?
Speaker 4: Wrong?
Speaker 3: You're just signing a contract. No, but.
Speaker 4: That's a really good question. I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: You just run that where they make fake bids and then the guys run off. That's true, Yeah, but I was just sort of thinking, going, I know my house, Like, no, don't do that, because in your might.
Speaker 4: To buy a house, hands in your pockets.
Speaker 3: Homer is now eating Frank Grimes a special dietetic lunch. Oh yeah, stretch, what's the good word? And Grimes takes a pretty wife. Someone ate my lunch, particularly if I'd labeled it, I'd be livid.
Speaker 4: Oh God, of course you would. I mean, look, I'm sorry to say it, Frank Grimes is kind of unlikable in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: We all have these people in our lives where you know they're right, but you still don't like that. Oh yeah, you have every right to be annoyed and pissed off, but it's.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah and every yeah, everything goes wrong from here due to Home Home. Home is not good in this I was doing anything wrong, but still you kin't of on homicide. Well I'm kind of on homicide anyway, because I find Grimes so yeah, straight up and down and kind of irritating as a result.
Speaker 3: As I was saying to add earlier, it's that when I was younger, I always saw Frank Grimes as the enemy. You know who episode is called Homer's Enemy. I saw it was the bad guy I had to mistreat Home like this bubblic because I loved Homer, and in the older I get them. Or I'm not saying I'm siding with Grimes. I guess you could say I understand, yes, absolutely, yeah, when sometimes I watch this episode and I go, you know what, Frank Grymes is pretty much my spirit animal. Like I'm walk I walk around and people just bother me. I'm like, sure, you know, it's like not just I'm driving around now and I'm like, why are you crossing the street there? When when does a walk away ten minutes to her left? And I'm just like that shouldn't bother me. But like I'm just people are just dumb. Like all it takes is for you to take the step at the wrong time, you're gonna get run over. You ruin your family's lives. You've ruined, like your life's over. It's like there's lights there for a reason, Like just little ruin my day. Like people are just dumb, Like why are people so dumb? The world is just dumb?
Speaker 4: I got no reply to it. Do you think the world is dumb? Well? Bit today? Sometimes you just wake young. Oh God, another day of that ship.
Speaker 3: But Frank Grimes says, you know, Horoma, with the trouble learning your name, the least you can do is learn mine. Okay, gry And then he realizes he's eating the lunch, gives it back, takes a few more bites, gives it back to him, just throws it into the bin, frustrating and Homer riches for it. See this this is classic SIPs is where it's like it could have He throws it in the bin, reaching for it. Is this is this that little button? This is what's what? Wasn't it?
Speaker 4: I believe?
Speaker 10: So?
Speaker 3: Yeah, He then finds it was because he's the one that said that grummy was asking for it. Then he finds his pencils or chewed up and discovers homing with them, just cleaning out his ears and stabs when an anger and yeah, I'd be furious as well. But as then checking out the warehouse, it's filthy and it's all mine. He throws the screw to see how far. It's kind of like the test of how deep a hole is, isn't it? Every second is a meter or something? Is that how it works? Something along those lines.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm being tested today. Yeah, a lot of things, like I wouldn't know about an I wouldn't know about holes. We got good.
Speaker 3: You're me both, brother. So then he gets on a chair with the fire extemas as to keep watching this, I always just thought does this work? And man, it was like a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Ah. I'm always terrified of like using a extinguished in any way.
Speaker 3: I just seemed I had to use it. When the barbieet got on fire, I had no idea what I was doing. I was like, I hope this works. This is good, Like everybody, well, the house is silly, so I'm gooding? Did yeah? I and the fence, Yeah that was That was lucky that day. But when bart is just walking around the factory here, it's just kind of a sad memory. But my dad used to work a candy footwear, you know, candy footwear. And some of my favorite memories as a kid I going to the factory with Dad and just everyone was uncle, Uncle, George, Auntie. He's got a slav and there's all these you know, all my uncles, and Auntie says all the works. I'd walk around the factory wait, and I say out the window. Dad be like, right, just ten minutes and come back, and he'd be sitting in his office. I'd be walking around his factory, just this little kid. Hey, but to day, don't I sit down and help make shoes and whatnot? And then it closed down. I remember Dad went there yet text some from his office. We walked in and it was just empty. I remember walking and going, ah, it's like it's really gone.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, and I'd use this giant line all the time as a joke, but yeah, we used to make things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the same as what. I went to Ford after down because we had to do the proper shutdown, and I walked in, I was like, oh, the press machines are gone. Yeah, it's empty. Oh it really is finished.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And driving past, you know the full factory now, yeah you used to. I mean it's being used for something or I don't know, turn.
Speaker 3: It into an industrial area whatever. But it's sad.
Speaker 4: It's this huge car park that used to, you know, be full of cars and people who would go work there, and now it's just like, oh my god, look at all this space. Yeah, I've got these jobs that aren't there anymore. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I remember walking to Candy Foot where and not knowing nothing's going to be in there, walking in and.
Speaker 4: Going oh yeah, oh it's all gone. It's not to be too milder. It's almost like looking at the dead body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just it was really sad. And I remember seeing Dad sort of like tear up that day because it's sort of like the reality hit him as well, because he was like I think he knew it was going to be that way. But he's like, ah, yeah, anyway, it for like thirty years home now and enters Grimy's office being annoying. I've always loved this is one of my favorites where we're just like it just feels like, damn. It was the same prombing, just big, a fucking nuisance.
Speaker 4: Everything everything he does is just designed to frustrate. It's incredibly annoying.
Speaker 10: Joh, how's it going, Gray, I'd appreciate it if you'd stay out of my office.
Speaker 2: Simpson, in which I had a nickel for every time I heard Dad take me up to the ball game. Take me to the ball Oh, what's do Grimy Simpson?
Speaker 4: You got a five thirteen?
Speaker 10: Now a five thirteen in your procedures manual, A five thirteen?
Speaker 4: Look at your control panel? Oh a five thirty.
Speaker 2: I'll handle it him, I got it.
Speaker 3: Bot is now in his office. If you can call it that, Abby's warehouse warehouse factory, factory, isn't it? Yeah? And he sees Millhouse walk past the window and obviously him a job. I'm a busy man. You want a job or not. There's not really much to this speed plot. Like rewatching this episode, I remember being more predominant in the episode. There's not much to it, but it's always just been one of my favorite side plods because it's just so simple. Bits are so interesting, like bar owns a factory, and I think millhouse work there, Like I think as a keep watching going, it'd be so cool.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like when you get your first house with a mate and you sort of just oh, and has no parents around his house, do what I want. Yeah, it's just like having their own factory to hang it, having a factory to hang out. But then Homer is eating like a pig. It's more like a duck. Yeah, things tend to ch they tend to chew. Yes, grumming and winds about him slipping in a suit, and Lenny and Color like, well, what's the problem. We have no issue with Homer? Yeah, three, Well we have three bus at lunch. They make anybody sleepy. And they explain that he's in charge about safety. That man, he's in charge about safety. This is pretty much sums up my life in a lot of ways. It's best enough to think about it. Sometimes when the kids you hear like a bang or the kids are doing something, it's like it's best to knowledge. Just let it go. You don't screaming, It's all right, Yes, if they're alive, just just go with it. Have you been caught sleeping at work in any way?
Speaker 4: No. We used a nap at Ford all.
Speaker 3: The time, really, especially on afternoon shift. We'll be like eleven o'clock and sometimes we work over time, maybe like three in the morning. We've been there since like four, and there's mattresses there and we just have a nap, like go half an hour, go a kip, and like.
Speaker 4: They just just cover each other. That's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a real I said, Nick. It's been nearly ten years since four clothes. But I look back and I'm like, we had a pretty good there. If we've got to thirty degrees, we got to stop working like that.
Speaker 4: Is got to have a nap if it got yeah wow.
Speaker 3: Well not legally, we're not supposed to it had naps, but just but the supervisor didn't care, like Gary no longer with us rest in peace absolute, letting him just like, yeah.
Speaker 4: I have a rest and now Gary's resting.
Speaker 3: Because he basically he was that guy who he used to the used to say, when you become a supervisor, become one of the boys right then the boys club, they used to call it a ford, and he didn't want to be part of the boys cut. He'd eat because when guys become supervisors eat the supervisor's office and he'd still eat with us.
Speaker 4: So he was, well, he was one of the boys, but he was one of the boys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he started just a worker and then when he got mad supervisor, he still stayed. He hung out with us, right, but then they asked him to night shift because he was just not He was always questioning what their decisions and same minute to do this on day shift, so they put him on night shift. So when he's on night was like, ah, you a fuck. As long as its long we make enough parts, who cares.
Speaker 4: That's a good philosophy. As long as her part gets made.
Speaker 3: He used to say, as long as youre not doing anything dangerous and you get the man that the work done he is supposed to get done, only a funk what you do. It's like, well, that's how you should approach it, right absolutely, as if you're getting ship done and you're not hurting anybody, go for it wouldn't be great. Everybody filled that way. Then Homer in the lunch room and he almost drinks acid and Grammy saves him, and that would have been stupid. This is the one point where I thought home it was dumbed down a little bit too much. Oh, my face would have been red. I was like, ah, but it sets up Frank Grime's going it's the laughing room beside, You're gonna be dead. And he just stares blankly at him as mister Burns walks past with the junior vice president dog. Great call back there, and Homer says, who did this? He did it? And he's not lying. Well, that's true, Grammy did do it, and Burns braces him. How dare you destroy my valuable wall and spill my precious acid? No priceless accident. You think you're gonna get away with it? And against you're going to give one more chance at a reduced salary, and the dog barks in. That's the kick of the dog barking at him. Grimmy then goes to see Homer and says, I hate you, or just stay away from you, because they're enemies.
Speaker 4: Me, the most beloved man in Springfield.
Speaker 3: What do I have to do anything? Grammy can't even respond Homer's now sad is that most you can't believe he has an enemy, and most of even I have no, I won't have it. There's no way you have enemies. And he shows me his Listen, there's troops, Jane Fonder, Daniel show Jack Anderson, and Barney points out as Nixon. So then he adds Barney's name to it as well. Have you ever had an enemy? I'm sure I Have you ever had someone in your life where you don't quite understand why they don't like it? There was a kid of schools. There was Richard right, and he just hated me. And I never really associated with him, and like we were friends in the early years, and then he just decided he hated me. And I've never still did this day. I've ever meet him again and see me, I'd be like.
Speaker 4: Why did you hate me? What was it that I did that just triggered you? He just he hated me.
Speaker 3: And we had the same friendship circle. So we still have to hang out like every lunch, but he wanted nothing to do with me, and he never explained why he just hated me.
Speaker 4: It's hard to understand. There was a guy named Andrew when I was at Uni. I think his sister was going out with my good friend, so our paths would sort of occasionally cross and one I were out of this party, and yeah, I think we were all fairly drunk. But he just sort of boiled me up against the wall and was.
Speaker 3: Really get told this story. Yeah, and do you think you're talking to his girls? No, that was a different time. Yeah, that guy haded me as well.
Speaker 4: I don't know what. Yeah, but this guy was like really getting ready to throw down. And I was genuinely confused because I mean I didn't like the guy, but I didn't dislike the guy either, But for some reason, he just really took of fans. Yeah. Maybe it was just because so charming and handsome.
Speaker 3: Maybe jealous, that's true. This show was brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpson's reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifeuld, The One About Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com. Slash four finger discount, but most says he should invite him for dinner, get him comfortable, and then my mo member is bam, you'll fog in the eye, and Home he considers trying without the fog one was always the first time. It's time for dinner. Home is very nervous because he wants us to go really really well, wants to go perfect. Sure, tells everyone to be perfect, just be perfect, you perfect, you perfect maybe perfect. Marche has only five lobsters and she's worried that she won't have enough if he brings a guest and hasn't actually told him that it's dinner. It's like wry, he doesn't know it's He's not going to bring anybody. And the hilarious part about this is that I don't think Home even realizes why he wants to be friends with Frank Grimes. He's just not used to someone, just like I don't like him as he's like, he doesn't know how to handle it. He's just like this.
Speaker 4: He doesn't want a friend, but he doesn't want an enemy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, And I think that none of us want enemies. But Grimey arrives to Cassida, Simpsons and he looks all disheveled. He's got the briefcase or shit coming out of it everywhere, and Home introduces the family. Lisa got a one fifty six IQ bar, owns a factory downtown. But Grimes he can't get over the size of Homer's house.
Speaker 4: Good heavens, this is a palace. How in the rook can you afford to live in a house like this?
Speaker 2: Simpson, Oh, don't ask me out of your acoudomy work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but look at the size of this place.
Speaker 10: I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley.
Speaker 2: WHOA, I'm sorry, isn't that Yeah? That's me all right? And a guy standing next to me is President Gerald Ford. And this is when I was on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins. Oh, and here's a picture of me in outer space.
Speaker 4: You went in outer space?
Speaker 2: You sure you've never been? Would you like to see my Grammy award?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 10: I wouldn't draw. I've had to work hard every day of my life. And what do I have to show for it? This briefcase and this haircut? And what do you have to show for your lifetime of sloth and ignorance? What everything, A dream house, two cars, a beautiful wife, sun new owns, a factory, fancy clothes and lobsters for dinner.
Speaker 4: And do you deserve any of it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: What are you saying? Saying?
Speaker 3: You're what's wrong with America? Simpson?
Speaker 4: You coast through life, You do.
Speaker 10: As little as possible, and you leap your decent, hardworking people like me. If you lived in any other country in the world, you'd have starved to death long ago.
Speaker 11: He's got you there, Dad.
Speaker 4: You're a fraud, a total fraud. It's nice meeting you.
Speaker 3: I feel like being called a fraud. Is that would cut you deep?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, very much. You're a fraud. A name would hurt you less. I think you're a dickhead. Now you're a fraud.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh shit, I'm found out.
Speaker 3: He's got your there, Dad. This week a little montage of button Millhouse hanging out at the factory. They're throwing machines or some kind like cashridges or something into the industrial waste or not accounting machines, candy machines, that's right. Yeah, the're throwing and it melts into the in the Wasiste Millhouse is cleaning baptizing to get to work. What is wacky shad? Well?
Speaker 4: Have you seen the motion menture? Grease? I have call it the end that they have the and they have a bit in the Wacky Shop, which is basically just a rocking house fun house. So they called the Wacky Show.
Speaker 3: You're the one that I want? Is that they sing that one through? Yeah? Yeah, we just call that funhouse here, I I believe. So yeah, not much fun about it, but then takes away the warning signs solving problem yep, longer scared of it, has longer scared of being hurt. Margin notices that Homer hasn't left for work. You're sitting in the car in the driveway.
Speaker 4: Why would you?
Speaker 3: What's wrong? Car won't start? Don't feel well. I am at work, Homer?
Speaker 11: Homer, why aren't you at work?
Speaker 2: The car won't start. I don't feel very good today. I am at work.
Speaker 11: You're afraid to go to work because Frank Grimes will be there, aren't you?
Speaker 2: Which is crazy talk. You're crazy, Marge. You're off your road.
Speaker 11: You'll have to face him sometime, and when you do, I'm sure he'll be justice anxious to make up as you are.
Speaker 2: No, he won't. He hates me.
Speaker 11: He doesn't hate you, He just feels insecure because you're getting through life so easily and it's been so difficult for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's his problem. He's a nut.
Speaker 2: It's not about me being lazy, it's about him being a crazy nut.
Speaker 11: Well maybe, but I'll bet he would be less crazy if you are just a little more professional in your work, just a little more, then he won't have any reason to resent you.
Speaker 2: I'll do it to professionalism.
Speaker 3: Do you think they're seeing him drive off the work was a bit much?
Speaker 4: Yet?
Speaker 3: Do you think he couldness been fun to professionalism? But the drinking and then driving off, Look, it's a lot lest episodes where they're really doubling down.
Speaker 4: Aren't They really are putting other hat on a hat. But look, I don't mind it. It's not a deal breaker. Nah.
Speaker 3: Now at work and Homer is eating donuts with a knife and fork, trying to be all professional with a mister good employee posted up in his war. He tries to be nice to Frank Grimes and highlight that he's making an effort, but the danger side thing goes off. Frank Grimes is like, what an idiot?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 3: Kind of feel sorry for homing here because like he at least he's trying.
Speaker 4: That's true. It'd be nice for Grimey to meet him, like, well, Homer's going to make three quarters of the effort, and grime He's going to make like a quarter.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing is with Homer is no one's ever called him out for this behavior. Correct, he doesn't understand what he's done is being is long unprofessional. So now he is trying to at least make an effort. Frank Grimes is like, nah, I screwed this guy and this as you're saying, that's where Frank Grihmes I think becomes unlikable because even when this guy is trying, you won't give him a chance. Correct car Then questions like what's your problem? Grimy, Like what what's what's what's the big deal?
Speaker 4: As I said, Yeah, that's why they put a razors on pencils. Yeah, that's a great line.
Speaker 3: Access of double dach year meltdown's have tripled. Well, you ever be fired or disciplined, as he said, everyone makes mistakes. That's why they put raislin pencil That's a good philosophy to lift by, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they say give him a break, and then Frank Grimes says, I would die happy man if I approved to you, or that Homer has the intelligence of a six year old, and they just fob him off like whatever, mate, you just.
Speaker 4: Been bitter.
Speaker 3: Grummy then sees the poster for the children's model building contest and he cuts out all the references to it being for children for kids, cuts out the kid, leaves it on Homer's desk. There's much chance to show this much chance to everyone. How professional I am? He tells, uh, this week the Lenny photo. They have a great summer, so he tells Lenny's and he's gone home for work to work on the contest. And then Grummy last until he sees home smashing into his car. Thin guess at least Frank Grimes is the kick ass parking spot.
Speaker 4: A good point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, reduced salary, but good park margin less. Then he sounds from the basement. It says, Genie at work, sign on the door margin less. You're concerned out what's going on down there. March's stop bother. It's high tech stuff. We wouldn't understand. March. You have anylwowre Macaroni and glor on sparkles. Millhouse is now smashing a door and Bart rings the horn. Quittindme durmer those days quittin time? Oh yeah, straight at the door.
Speaker 4: Did you ever stick around afterwards? Well? Yeah, sometimes I know. I guess I feel home esque sometimes in like I probably haven't put one hundred percent in during the during the nine to five, but if I give him the next like half hour at the end, I'm like, good.
Speaker 3: On you, creble all the days working to half an hour.
Speaker 4: You're paying me for this roe.
Speaker 3: Bart then says he needs someone to guard the place overnight, so he makes meelhouse the night watchmen. He gives him a nickel for the coffee machine, and the brat falls down.
Speaker 11: So this is my life.
Speaker 4: At least I've done better than dad.
Speaker 3: This might be the most relatable Millhouse moment of all time my life. It's I think we've had a point in our lives where we've just gone so this is our life. This is my life.
Speaker 4: But then you have the opportunity to change it. I feel like you do.
Speaker 3: Yes, at least I've done better than dad.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 3: It's so good that Bart arrives next morning and the factory has fallen over I told you just watching them watch the factory I did first started falling over, then it fell over, and all the rats then go to most everybody touk your pants into yourself. That's now it's time for the model contest and these bold new ideas, these tiny tykes unveiled for us today, could make thousands of jobs like yours obsolete. It's a little slight, but it's true, man, it's true. Don't remind me Ralph now has a male. Basically, it's just a Melbouy Stacy dream house, it is, and it's just he's drawing.
Speaker 4: Something to melow stay.
Speaker 3: Yes, pretty good. So not a fan of the hot tub and the media room. What is supposed to be a power plant? Villas Bordella. As you said, who is Ambula?
Speaker 4: I think it's just a fun name to say.
Speaker 3: It sounds like, yeah, I did look it up, I thought. But now Ralphie, then Ralphi, get up the stage, sweetheart. Then it's for Martin who has the fancy wanted to be touched on earlier. That controls the room and power in the room.
Speaker 4: It's in this room right now, too cold, sterile, where's the heart you lose?
Speaker 3: Get off my property? When Homie comes out and it's just a power plant, It's just a Frank mocksman looks in a contest for kids, makes us miss the contest. Then Burns ask him to explain it, young man, explain this, young man? What does that explain?
Speaker 10: His?
Speaker 3: An idiot shut up of added fins to lower winter resistance. And I love this. And I thought this racing strip was pretty sharp.
Speaker 4: He's not wrong.
Speaker 3: It is pretty short. You agreed, you win, You did it, Homer and Frank Grom's like it was a goodness for children. Yeah, I haven't beat their brains. They were like, yeah, will whoma. And this is where Frank Grimes just loses his mind, has the ultimate breakdown that we all remember. Are you okay?
Speaker 4: I'm better that I can?
Speaker 3: You wish and they get their classes. I don't need safety gloves because I'm Homer Simpson and shocks himself cut to his funeral Frank Grimes, or Grimy as he preferred to, although Frank's agonizing struggle through life was agonizingly cut short. I was asleep. Change of channel March and that's how Homer. The change of channel March is I know a touch up with that. I can't can't remember, but that's the moment for me that I remember watching this with my dad, my dad bursting out and laughter. It's just like that was just such a good mona. Yes, that is the run through of Homer's Enemy. Hope you guys enjoyed this episode featuring Ed Cavali.
Speaker 4: Yes, indeed, and you're strong and us. Yeah, it's the Ed Cavalier experience featuring Daniel and Guy.
Speaker 3: There's one point towards the end we're all like, time of the run through it It's like, haven't we been doing that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, insurance to sell, very professional of it. I was like, pretty I think we folded that into it. Yes, indeed, my times at a premium. But that was very very good talking with Ed ye, man, it was.
Speaker 3: It was great getting these guests and is just fantastic. We've got some big names coming Out'm not gonna spoil them all here, but some really cool names coming up, we certainly do, and not just comedians, just some other exciting guests as well. Okay, yeah, I'll take it.
Speaker 4: I'll take your word for it.
Speaker 3: But until then, guys, thank you so much for your support here at four finger this game to forget to rate and review us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, where we do find this show. You on early and add free access to these episodes, including our entire archive of five hundred plus episodes.
Speaker 4: Whoa.
Speaker 3: You can find that at our Patreon for as little as just one dollar per month. You can support the show and get in touch mailbag at four finger discount dot com that you would love to hear from each to single one of you before we get do dnix Mailbak Souf. We're gonna gather up all those questions and all those messages and read them out on set episode. We're gonna be returning next week with the season twenty one review. This has been our review of Homis Enemy with Ed Cavalie. Mister Davis. Any final words for these incredible listeners out.
Speaker 4: There, Daniel, I'm peen on the seat. Give me a raise,