Speaker 1: You're listening to kf I AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Good Morning, everybody, Bill Handle here Foody Friday, April twenty five.
Speaker 2: Don't know so much about Foody.
Speaker 1: Because Neil is sick this morning and he is not coming in, as is Cono this morning, not coming in, and so we have Tony in for Cono. The first six people we asked to fill in couldn't make it, so Tony agreed to grudgingly, Yes, grudgingly, that's true. Yes, Tony has quite a hike.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 1: Those two are going okay. But who is here? We've got Amy? Good morning, Amy, Hey Bill, Happy Friday, Happy Friday, and good morning, good morning.
Speaker 2: All right? Is a Will here today?
Speaker 3: He is not okay, he'll be back Monday. Okay, all right, he's I'm not sick though the other two are sick. He's just on vacation.
Speaker 2: Who takes two day vacations?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't either, Will close sheperd.
Speaker 2: I guess. I mean, if you're gonna take a vacation, you take a vacation.
Speaker 1: The other thing I don't understand is taking your birthday day off. It's your birthday. Okay, boy, there's an accomplishment being born. That's something to celebrate. What are your choices? Whin you a Nobel prize or being born?
Speaker 2: Okay? The other one is personal day off? What is that about?
Speaker 3: Sometimes you just need a break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what Saturday and Sundays are for. That's correct. And in my case, that's what Sundays are for. You know that I have in my entire working life, I have never worked a five day week.
Speaker 3: I did that six day thing for several years. I don't know how you've done it for as long as you do.
Speaker 2: You know you do. I don't want to tell you.
Speaker 1: What you do is you hate being at home, you hate your family, and you might as well be here. There you go, there you go. Okay, yesterday I had dinner with my daughter and we were having a conversation and she came up with something really interesting, and that is, do you know why popes cannot be organ donors?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never thought of that either. Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 1: And there are two reasons that popes, for example, Francis is not going to be an organ donor, and this was kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: One of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's not that's not the reason. That's not the reason he's eighty eight and dead.
Speaker 2: No. Two reasons. One, his body does not belong to him.
Speaker 1: It belongs to the church, so he cannot he does not have the authority to give up parts of his body.
Speaker 3: Isn't that sort of slavery?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sort of is, although you're kind of dead afterwards.
Speaker 1: So can you be a slave when you're dead? You can be a box and ashes, you know, you could be you know, breakfasted Bernie kind of dead.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And the other reason is usually when someone is slated for sainthood, which of course Francis is going to be.
Speaker 2: That's a given the parts of his body they keep as relics.
Speaker 1: You ever gone to any one of these Catholic churches, one of the older ones, there's always a skull or there's a femur or a fingerbone or something in this gilded box. It has glass all around it, and you look in there and there's a piece of bone, and.
Speaker 2: They go, what the hell is that?
Speaker 3: Is that real?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, Well, I don't know whether the bone is of the saint, because you know, for example, if you go to churches all over the world. You will see churches that have small pieces of the cross that Jesus was crucifight on. You put all of those small pieces of the cross together around the world, and you've got your medium sized lumber yard.
Speaker 2: So who knows.
Speaker 1: You go to top Copy Cap Museum in istan Bull, they have the skull of John the Baptist.
Speaker 2: Now is that really his skull? I don't know, you think, And then you have.
Speaker 1: Hearts and pieces of body, and it's just really weird. Not that the Catholic religion is and full of fruitcakes. It's just that the Catholic religion is full of fruitcakes. And it's which is crazier. The Mormon religion. Mormon religion is you got zena and you have the golden tablets, and you've got this kid, twelve year old kid, Joseph Smith, digging up the tablets of gold in upstate New York, Paulmyra, not even Connecticut, which is a good neighborhood, but Paul Meyra Okay, so much for Mormons. You got Catholics where you have the body and the blood of Christ. Now it's not metaphor in the Catholic religion. It is not metaphor. It is actually the body and the blood of Christ that you take during communion, which I find completely hypocritical because at least in New Guinea, those headhunters actually eat people. Catholics don't any other religions. I can rip into Judaism. There's a nut religion. I'm talking about the far reaches part of it. Okay, emails go to management here at KFI as I make fun of the only ones that can't make fun is Buddhism.
Speaker 2: Why because they just sit there. I mean they just sit there.
Speaker 1: You know, last year one National Religious Award from the American Association of Anesthesiologists. Nothing happens, You just sit there. Okay, we're done, guys.
Speaker 3: I thought we were just getting started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my god, you tribe on religion. Ah.
Speaker 1: And I haven't even gotten into ethnic people yet, have I. No, we start that in just a few moments. All right, guys, let's do it. I want to roll this morning. I was feeling terrible this morning until I started.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I started with the Pope. That was it, and why he can't be an ordinan donor?
Speaker 2: That was it? All right, guys, ready to do it?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's time for handling the news, Amy no deal and me lead.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: Well, Trump is now urging Putin to stop after saying there has to be a deal cut between Russia and Ukraine, the deal being that Putin gets everything he wants and Ukraine gets nothing. At that point, after that announcement was made, particularly by JD Vance saying if you don't cut the deal, we're walking away, Putin launches the most vicious attack against Kiev that he has in a year, and at that point Trump says, stop it. Let's get this peace deal done. Five thousand soldiers a week are dying. I don't know if that's true or not, but.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of when before the invasion started, Biden did his stern warning also don't yeah nothing, the one word thing, stop, don't okay, nothing happens. It's got to be frustrating, though, because Trump is known or like touts himself as a deal maker. Yeah, and he's just not getting.
Speaker 2: How are those going?
Speaker 1: The Israeli Jamas war, this war, inflation prices cut in half, the best economy you've ever seen. Now a couple of he did do day one, there was the partning of all. January sixth defendants that happened day one, and executive orders in some other pardons, and then also gutting the various agencies, which we're going to talk about a little bit more later on.
Speaker 2: And where is that? No, No, are we going to I think so?
Speaker 1: Yes, eight o'clock the National Security Council. Okay, let's take a break and we're going to come back and we'll really dive into some stories. I'll try to figure out some other religions and ethnicities to offend.
Speaker 4: During the break, you're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty and.
Speaker 1: And I, I mean we're sitting across from each other and and I. During the course of the break, we started discussing religion and whether or not there is God in the definition of God, and it got kind of interesting because I think God exists. If you're the winning football team and you are praying and God a sides you're going to win, Yep, there's God. Or you're in a bus full of kindergarteners and it gets into a crash and you survive and they all die. That was God saving your life. Too bad for those thirty four kids. That's when the devil steps in. Ah, yeah, well why did God? Okay, but why did devil step in kill all of them?
Speaker 2: He's evil, but save you and he wants to hurt Okay people, Okay, there we go.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're gonna have fun discussions there. All right, guys, let's do it. Usually I have these discussions with Neil, you know, but I know, of all days, I know you're going in on this. I don't even know why. All right, let's do it more handle on the news, Amy and me talk.
Speaker 3: Talk, talk or not. China has denied any suggestion that it is in active negotiations with the Trump administration over tariffs. China's comments came after Trump said on Tuesday the things we're going fine and that the final tariff rate on Chinese exports would come down substantially from the current one hundred five percent.
Speaker 1: And he said he's talking to China. China said, no, we're not talking. I don't know who do you believe?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Exactly. I don't know who you believe. There's an article in Time magazine. I was listening to a piece on it coming in, and it was it's an interview, a very lengthy interview with Trump by Time magazine, and he says in the article that to that one hundred countries are actively negotiating with the United States. One hundred countries. And the reporter said, well, how many You haven't announced any of them. Well, we'll announce them, you know, when, when the time is appropriate. And then he switched and said, it's actually two hundred countries. Now, two hundred countries is virtually every country on the planet. You know that, it's two thirds of the countries on Earth. So we'll see what happens. The only thing is that he blinked, that's for sure. She did not blink. She said, we're prepared. The Chinese play the long game, and they are prepared. He is a strong man who is prepared to have suffering go on.
Speaker 2: The Chinese have a history of this stuff of suffering.
Speaker 1: The United States not so much. Are we got tired of Vietnam. We're out of there. We got tired of Afghanistan, We're out of there. Chinese aren't out of there until they win. So I think Chinese is going to win. This one.
Speaker 2: Might take, okay, move on flying.
Speaker 3: In to fight the fires. California's officially added a second air tanker to its fire fighting fleet, just ahead of what is expected to be a drier than average summer, even though we're doing good for snowpack this year. For the third year in a row, the latest Sea one thirty hercules air tanker will join the Califire aerial fleet. It's the same and former US Coast Guard cargo plane that's being retrofitted for firefighting. The aircraft can drop four thousand gallons of water or fire retardant in under five seconds, can fly up to eight hundred miles per deployment, and its speed, range and payload capacity make it the most capable aircraft in Calfire's fleet, says Cawfire.
Speaker 2: We need a lot of them.
Speaker 3: There's actually seven out. We're just not all retrofitted a ready, mean.
Speaker 1: We not a lot with these wildfires, you know, and even then we don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The best job to have, by the way, is the guy who measures the snowpack in the sierras. Do you know how do what the technology is that he uses. He puts a stick in the ground. I'm not exaggerating. He puts a long yardstick that has inches on the wood, and he puts it until it hits the ground and he measures how high the snow is and that is the level of your snowpack.
Speaker 3: And he only has to work like three days a year. They do like snowpacks every couple months.
Speaker 1: That I don't know, but I think he moves from place to place to measure the snowpack. It's not on the same and I think maybe they average it, but the technology is still a stick.
Speaker 3: That's okay, Yeah, it's great. What are eight trees worth three hundred and fifty thousand dollars? So there's that guy who has been arrested for cutting down eight trees in different neighborhoods around downtown La over a period of about a week from April fourteenth to nineteenth. Samuel Groft has been arrested, and the La County DA's office says that those eight trees that he cut down with a chainsaw, or allegedly cut down with a chainsaw, is going to cost the city three hundred and forty seven thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Let's let's look at the figures here.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fifty thousand dollars a tree right now? Forty thousand a tree is.
Speaker 2: It that it depends on the tree. That's not off base.
Speaker 1: It really isn't to bring in a full grown tree, is yeah, that can be forty grand. I mean I brought my I had an olive tree that died and I replaced it, and it was, you know, twenty feet high, twenty twenty five feet high. So I replaced the tree. I could not believe how much that tree cost. Could not believe it. Trees are expensive. I mean, a little saplings aren't. But if you're bringing in a full grown tree.
Speaker 3: And they want full grown trees, you know, yes.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's yeah, I can see that.
Speaker 3: I want to hear more about this olive tree. Do you pick olives off of it?
Speaker 2: No? Well, no, you spray it, so it doesn't.
Speaker 1: All of them well, because they're beautiful, because all of trees are gorgeous, because they're trunks.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's just something magical about olive trees.
Speaker 3: They are I saw them in the garden of.
Speaker 1: Yeah that is and you know what's interesting with what really is moving about the garden of this enemy. I mean, even though I'm not religious in the least, I do believe that Jesus existed. Uh, whether that was the garden of Gacinami or not. I mean, we don't know, you know, was he born at that spot up a calvalry? That was he actually crucified there? Probably not. But you go to the garden Ofame Gacinthemis Casami. I'm always horrible with words, and you literally look at these trees and you go, Jesus could have walked among these trees.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they're like two thousand years.
Speaker 2: Right, these are the very trees that were around.
Speaker 1: I mean that is you know, you know, whether you're religious or not, just the my thing is history and wow, you know, just this just floors you that the trees are that old. And when you go back to biblical times, they're talking about this tree.
Speaker 2: Now did he walk? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you sprayed for all?
Speaker 1: No, No, you spray, you spray. Why don't you want because the olives make a mess, that's why they're horrible, and then you have to brine them, and you don't know, you don't want all of you?
Speaker 2: Why didn't you just buy a fruitless one?
Speaker 1: I don't know if you can, but you I have one, Oh, okay, I don't know our the ones I bought, were fruited and they you know, the olives, you spray them. It's like sort of you know, spaying a dog. You know, you just make sure that they don't. Yeah, we have effortless one planting. Okay, and that's it all right.
Speaker 2: One more.
Speaker 3: A new way to get to LAX. A direct connection between Los Angeles International Airport and Metro is going to be a step closer to reality when a transit station opens. That's going to happen in June. The La Metro Transit Center is scheduled to open June sixth at Aviation Boulevard and ninety sixth Street, and it's going to connect to the K and C lines and that will eventually not yet connect to the LAX people Mover train.
Speaker 1: And it opens June sixth, which is by June eighth, it's already obsolete because welcome to Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then the people Mover isn't scheduled open until two twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well for the Olympics, they built the horseshoe thing at LAX for the Olympics. Boy, that worked out, didn't it. The way the horseshoe works at LAX where you go on that loop that you turn. All right, we're done for this two segments, or these two segments.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and take a break. We'll come right back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I AM six forty Woody Friday.
Speaker 1: Except there's no food today. Neil is sick. He got food poisoning last night. Actually that's not true, but it sounds good, doesn't it, Woody Friday. Neil, Okay, never mind, Maybe he has foody poisoning that's very strong.
Speaker 2: And Neil is an amazing cook. You know that.
Speaker 1: It's say, you know, he does that food show, and it's not by accident. Is doing so well. The guy knows what he's doing, except for last night. All right, Amy more Handle on the news.
Speaker 3: George says he expects to get a full sentence. George Santos, the former congressman whose proclivity for lying fueled in unforeseen rise and spectacular fall, is going to be confronted on today with what that fallout is going to be. He's going to be sentenced for fraud and other stuff, and he's the least he would get would be two years. He pleaded guilty to charges of wire fraud and aggravated identity theft. Federal prosecutors want the sentence to be eighty seven months, which they say is necessary to protect the public from being defrauded by Santos. Again, Santos says he does expect to get the full seven years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the only thing there that is ever of concern and which reduces the sentences is our mitigating factors. One of the big ones being showing remorse to the court, and he, of course is showing remorse. Doesn't everybody show remorse to the court. I don't understand how judges can believe remorse because everybody shows remorse.
Speaker 2: Buddy.
Speaker 1: Now, while he was showing a remorse, he was also attacking the Department of Justice and saying that this was prosecutorial overreach and it was a political witch hunt. And showing remorse at the same time. That's a little tough, no kidding. He's going to get the biggest, the longest sentence or a piece of work he is.
Speaker 3: Sounds like something kind of right out of the movies. But a senior Russian general has been killed in a car bombing. It happened today. The deputy head of the Main Operations Directorate of the General staff of the Russian Armed Forces was killed in the explosion of a Volkswagen golf. Investigators say the explosion was caused by an improvised explosive design device packed with shrapnel and loaded into his car.
Speaker 1: Now, if he had survived, would Volkswagen use that incident as a commercial? I'll bet you so. But they can't because he was killed and no one's blamed been blamed yet. Russia has not, Moscow has not yet blamed Ukraine.
Speaker 2: There will be you watch, Uh, how.
Speaker 3: About Nunya like Nonya? Business staff members at Columbia University and Bernard College in New York City say they were taken aback earlier this week after they got text messages on their personal phones linked to a survey which asked, in part if they were Jewish or Israeli. The survey came from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and outlined that it was part of a federal investigation into workplace practices at the schools.
Speaker 1: Now, it's offensive, but I don't know if FILS was meant to be discriminatory. To find out if you know we're going to discriminate against.
Speaker 3: Jews, he's meant to be the opposite.
Speaker 1: I think it's meant to be the opposite. I think that are you Jewish? And then it would be a follow up, Then you investigate whether that person was the target of any anti Semitic remarks or activities.
Speaker 2: I do think it's the opposite.
Speaker 1: However, it's ham handed, how unusual for schools now, and boy, what a way to do it right? And people were offended by that. I get offended. People ask me if I'm Jewish. I say, it's none of your business.
Speaker 3: Moving on, autism is no excuse. A judge has ruled that prosecutors can go after the death penalty against Brian Coburger if he's convicted of murdering for University of Idaho students. Remember that happened over Christmas in twenty twenty two. His attorneys had asked the judge to take the death penalty off the table because Coburger was recently diagnosed as being on the spectrum for autism. They said that mister Coburger's autism spectrum disorder reduces his culpability, negates the retributive, retributive and deterrent purposes of capital punishment, and exposes him to the unacceptable risk that he will be wrongfully convicted and sentenced to death. The judge said, I don't buy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And although when there was emotion and he was in front of the court, the judge kept on yelling at him to.
Speaker 2: Look at the judge, Hey, look at me.
Speaker 1: See, that's an autism joke, because autistic people can't actually look at you in the face or in the eyes.
Speaker 2: Do you know that you probably did?
Speaker 1: Okay, for those of you that have autistic family members, I completely, totally, sincerely apologize.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, that's not true. That's another group I've offended today.
Speaker 3: We should just have a list.
Speaker 2: Today is a list.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: The funny thing is you guys that when Bill's face just lit up like, oh, look, I offended somebody.
Speaker 2: Else, you know, when iHeart it was clear.
Speaker 1: Channel changed their name and it bought the company, bought the previous company that owned KFI and Coast. They had a HR person come in and there was the whiteboard and brought in all of programming and it was a woman who was head of HR. And she took her black marker and on the whiteboard started writing what you can't say, and she went down about I don't.
Speaker 2: Know fifteen I raised my hand. She goes yes, I said.
Speaker 1: Hi, I'm the morning show host. And we opened the show at five oh six, just to let you know. By five oh eight, I've gone through half of those You know that, don't you.
Speaker 2: Oh, you can't do that. Guess who's still here. Let's take a break.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: But Francis his last day of the viewing by the hundreds of thousands of people.
Speaker 2: It was supposed to end at eleven o'clock at night.
Speaker 1: The viewing, they kept it open all night because there were so many people going past the casket to look at pro Francis.
Speaker 3: They did it again on the second night too. They closed down for a couple more hours, but they basically kept it going just because so many people wanted to go. Y, you were going.
Speaker 2: To a funeral and looked at the body, you.
Speaker 3: Know, just the only one I've ever seen was my dad.
Speaker 2: It was awful. Oh yeah, it's just it's horrific.
Speaker 1: And I remember that I was a kid when I went to my first funeral, where you know, you go past the casket and you look down there's your dead person, and you know, as as the people in front of me are going, Oh, he looks so peaceful. You know, he looks like he's sleeping. He looks so rested. I go over there, he looks dead. There is a difference between dead and sleeping, and it's not fun. And then I don't understand people kissing the forehead of the dead person. That is beyond my comprehension. I mean, I just don't get it. And then people leave coins in there. I collected those. What does that person need them for? Okay, let's go ahead and finish up. Handle on the news, Amy O'Neil and me.
Speaker 3: Reversing course, the Trump administration is restoring financial support to a landmark study of women's health. Spokesman for the department Department of Health and Human Services said that the decision to defund, which shocked medical researchers, was reversed. They said that initially it looked like the study had exceeded its internal targets for contract reductions, but they said now they're working to restore funding for these essential research efforts.
Speaker 2: Hey, you think the administration is going to be a little bit fast here.
Speaker 1: In its attempt to in a legitimate attempt to get rid of waste in the bloat because it's it's hard to have an organization that has two million employees that a lot of them are protected by civil service, and there really is no responsibility. There's not a lot of accountability relative to let's say the private industry.
Speaker 2: But you know, you go pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: Through this and they are, oh, okay, whoops, we made a mistake. Let's refund YEP, it's going dough is going a little bit too quickly.
Speaker 3: Oh good gondola. Oh, Irvine may soon have a new way to see Great Park from the sky. The Great Park Board is voted to move forward with the latest step in developing an aerial gondola system over the outdoor space. Right now, Great Park is five hundred acres, but it's set to expand to like thirteen hundred acres, and when it's done, it's going to be larger than both Central Park in New York and Golden State Park in San Francisco. So they signed this agreement with a company called Swift Cities, which is a technology a transit technology startup a one year trial period worth about ten million dollars, and it'll cover eight gondolas operating between two stations that connect the visitor center and balloon with a planned retail facility, and that underdall also cover maintenance and operation for three days a week, and then the city is on the hook for the other four days.
Speaker 1: What's there to see there? You go your gondoliering or doing whatever. I don't know what the verb is for gondoling, and what's sort of sea under there? It's a park, just a park, Okay.
Speaker 3: All right, Sometimes the show must not go on. Carlos Santana had to cancel another show. It was planned for last night in Sugarland, Texas, but they canceled it after he tested positive for COVID nineteen. This show was canceled just a day after Santana was hospitalized and pulled out of his show on April twenty s second in San Antonio because he was dehydrated. A spokesperson said that he is doing well and is expected to resume his Oneness tour tonight in Thuckerville, Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: I had no idea that Santana is this big a deal. The fact that he canceled his show was national news. I was watching was it yesterday?
Speaker 2: The day before?
Speaker 1: I watched ABC and NBC you know, I'm a news junkie, and there it is national news that Carlos Santana has missed a show. I mean that is I don't get I guess I miss it that he's that huge a deal.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, I can see a Beatles concert where they exhume George Harrison and John Lennon.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a big deal. But did you know he was that big a deal?
Speaker 3: Amy, I did not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't get it, you know. Okay, can we do one more and then we are done?
Speaker 3: We can, But can we skip to the last one?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 3: No teeth, no problem. Scientists at King's College, London have found a way to grow living teeth in the lab. It sounds really gross, but it also sounds really cool. In their latest study, they say that they've made a breakthrough in replicating the environment required to grow teeth in the lab and it will. What they're doing is they're allowing cells to communicate with each other and that enables one cell to signal another to start growing stuff. And by mimicking natural conditions of early tooth development, this innovation brings scientists closer to recreating the process of forming teeth outside the body. And then of course one day it could be used to replace fillings and implants and offering more natural, durable alternative to dental fixes that we use today.
Speaker 1: Of course, science is going genetic engineering the ability to grow grow organs outside the body. I mean, cancer is going to be cured because there will be a magic bullet out there pretty neat, and people will live a very very long time. Right after you die, you know that, Amy, Then they'll have discovered something that extends life for fifty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, we're done. Fair enough. Coming up.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's an interesting conversation going on between La County first responders and the county And these are firefighters and their cops, county sheriffs, and they want more money. Negotiations are here and they want more money. And the reason they want more money, or one of the main reasons, is kind of interesting, and I have an issue with that, and I'll share that with you when we come back.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch My show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.