Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: K Fly and KOST HD two Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Orange County.
Speaker 4: And your host, Amy Kay.
Speaker 3: It's five o'clock, straight up, good morning. This is your wake up call for Thursday.
Speaker 1: April third. I'm Amy King. Welcome to the show. This is we're on a baseball theme. Big night for the Dodgers last night, sixty five win thanks to a walk off home run by show Hey Otani on Show Hey Otani, bobblehead night, very appropo.
Speaker 3: I'm sure the fans are excited. They're off to an eight and no start.
Speaker 1: That's the best start ever for a defending world chamampion team in MLB history. Wow, I'm saying one's sixty two and oh baby, can.
Speaker 3: It be done? That'd be fun. That's funny.
Speaker 1: Our Eagles have names. They were announced yesterday Sonny and Gizmo. So the bigger eaglet is Sonny, the little guy is Gizmo. Of course, we named him Rocky here on wake Up Call because we think he's a fighter and he's doing so good, so I might still call him Rocky.
Speaker 3: But elementary school kids named him. They had the final choice.
Speaker 5: I hear they even named the one that didn't make it, that was done before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they named that one Misty in honor of somebody who used to be affiliated with friends of Big Bear Valley who passed away. So that was Misty. But the two remaining who are doing very well and covered up by Mom right now as much as she can. Sonny and Gizmo, here's what's ahead on wake up Call. Almost three months after the massive and destructive wildfires towards through Alta Dina, the La County Medical Examiner's offices, human remains have been found. They were discovered yesterday afternoon in the nine hundred block of Boston Street. FEMA has extended the deadline until April fifteenth for homeowners in Pacific Palisades and Alta Dina to sign up to have their property cleaned up by the US Army Corps of Engineers. The service is offered it no charge to homeowners, but if they opt out, they're going to have to pay their own contractors to do the work. You can get the form at Recovery dot La County dot gov. Stock market futures have dropped like a rock following President Trump's tariff announcement, with investors fearing a global trade war, futures were down almost twelve hundred actually now it's over twelve hundred feet points ahead of the opening bell. We're going to dig a little deeper into that when we get in your Business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho at five point forty and in about three minutes, ABC's Karen travers, it's going to help us break down the tariffs and when we might start feeling the pinch. High profile break ins at athletes' homes are escalating with been hearing about him a lot. ABC's Crime and Terrorism analyst Brad Garrett is going to tell us more about that. The Wiggle Waggle Walks just four days away, we're going to be talking to Pasadena humans Kevin McManus about what the money you donate does to help save the lives of thousands of animals. They do such great work. And Amy's on it. We're doing a special Thursday edition. I'm taking up residence with a new show on Netflix. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Nearly a dozen people in LA's Westlake neighborhood had to leave their homes in the middle of the night because of a fire that destroyed a three story apartment building that was under construction. The fire late last night spread to a vacant home and some sheds. This guy lives nearby, says he woke up because of the fire.
Speaker 3: I opened the door and all I saw were embers in the sky.
Speaker 6: So I jumped up and I came out here, and by the time I saw, the flames were like already high.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 1: He helped knock on some doors to let other neighbors know about the fire. It took more than one hundred firefighters almost an hour to put the flames out. One man was treated for a medical complaint. The Lacity councils decided to hold on to some funding requested by Mayor Bass.
Speaker 5: The mayor's signature homeless program Inside Safe, is now required to ask for its funding every quarter, and its forty six point one million dollar request this week was partially shot down. Councilman Bob Blumenfield says council members are in need of more data and oversight for the program.
Speaker 6: We need to make sure that service providers are focused on throughput and the city verifies services that are being rendered.
Speaker 5: The council agreed to pay out twenty nine point one million dollars to ensure homeless service providers are paid and other costs are covered, but decided not to pay the full amount yet. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Officials in California have missed a deadline to secure funding for higher payments to doctors who are treating low income patients that will leave millions of dollars unclaimed. The funds were part of Prop thirty five, approved by voters, which relied on submitting paperwork to the federal government by March thirty first. As a result, doctors won't receive promised increases and the state's going to lose millions in federal matching dollars to support the medical program. Taking a chance on winning millions is about to take more money. The price of a Mega Million's lottery tickets going up from two to five dollars starting with tomorrow. Night's drawing officials say the price increase will lead to faster growing jackpots in better odds, maybe because less people are playing.
Speaker 3: Not sure.
Speaker 1: The jackpot Friday is forty three million dollars. Now, let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, President Trump went ahead and announced those tariffs against well, almost everybody. So let's break it down a little bit and tell us what happened yesterday.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's two different rounds. The first round starts April fifth, Saturday, at midnight, at ten percent tariff on nearly all foreign imports. It's a baseline tariff is basically applied to all countries. And then on Wednesday, April ninth, there are sixty countries who face even steeper tariffs. This is targeting what the White House had called the worst offenders, you know, the ones that the United States has trade death it's with. And this is where the economists and experts now are saying, you know, rose is much cheaper than anticipated. China thirty four percent tariffs, the European Union twenty percent, Vietnam forty six, Japan twenty four, India twenty six, and South Korea twenty five. We bring in a lot of products from all of those places I just mentioned, and all of the experts we're talking to say, you know, this is going to be a significant impact, and it's likely to be quick you know, when these importers are bringing in products goods from these countries and have to pay the higher costs, they will pass it down. We're talking groceries, clothing, electronics, and the auto tariffs of course go into effect this week as well. That was something the President has had announced last week. Some analysts say that, you know, worst case scenario, this could cost a family of four potentially about seven thousand dollars extra a year.
Speaker 3: Yikes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So and you mentioned that they were higher than anticipated. The Trump administration was saying that this was a kinder and gentler but it doesn't sound like that's the case. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's a lot of funny math here that I am not going to get into because I think your listeners would probably turn down there as a volume a little bit because it's very, very wonky. But I do direct you to social media for all of the economist takes on this. But you know, remember I will kind of frame it like this. The White House had been saying in the lead up to this that these were going to be reciprocal tariffs. You charge us this, we charge you back. That that's not what this is looking like here. The White House had said that these actually would be at a half calculated rate of what some countries are charging the United States in terms of terriffs because they say the President is lenient. But even those numbers I just cited to you, you know, the EU at twenty percent, of Japan at twenty four percent, the corresponding number that the President had on charts yesterday of roughly forty percent and forty eight percent for those countries, it's not exactly as simple as that. You know, they're taking into account a lot of other factors in terms of that tax, local currencies and local taxes, things like that. So it's quite complicated, and there's a lot of questioning this morning of how the White House is doing the mass on this.
Speaker 1: Okay, and have any countries officially responded.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So there's a lot of threats right now, like just to say, the British Prime Minister said that he is going to act in Britain's interest, and the European Commission has said that this is a major blow to businesses and consumers and that Europe is prepared to respond. The German Economic Minister also saying you know, they're ready to respond to this, is going to have some blowback in the White House had said yesterday this is not a negotiation. This is a national emergency. Countries can't negotiate.
Speaker 2: Their way out of this.
Speaker 7: The White House also told countries not to retaliate. That warning is not going to be heated by countries all around the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and then even here there are it's to block the tariffs in terms.
Speaker 7: Of like up on Capitol Hill. Yeah yeah, I mean, but this isn't you know, he's taking this through executive action. They can try to do that, and there were some concerns among Republicans, but mostly you know, you heard Republicans going along with this, and you know, seing the President do this already with other realms. I'm not sure what they would do to try to stop this onm.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, brace yourselves. We're in for a wild ride. Karen Travers, ABC News, thank you so much.
Speaker 7: Thanks, have a great day.
Speaker 1: All right, you two, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Democratic officials are suing to try to stop eleven billion dollars in public health funding cuts. Twenty three states and Washington, d C. Filed the lawsuit against the Department of Health and Human Services asking for the cuts to be temporarily paused. They argue that Trump administration made the cuts unlawfully without analyzing the benefits of the funding or possible consequences of removing it. A judge will hear the case later today. Bill Sale has been sworn in as US Attorney for the Central District of California, following his appointment by Attorney General Pam Bondi. Sale, who has represented his district in Riverside County since twenty twenty two, resigned his seat in the Assembly immediately after he was appointed Tuesday. Speaking only to KFI as, Sale tells John Cobalt, He's honored to be selected for the.
Speaker 4: Role, and as you can imagine, we have our work cut out for us.
Speaker 6: We will be restoring law and order in the Central District.
Speaker 1: The Central District California is the nation's most populous district, serving nearly twenty million people across seven counties, including Santa Barbara, Ventura, and la Two guys in Newbury, England, have been fined and sentenced to community service for vandalizing a statue of Paddington Bear after a night of drinking. The judge told them they are the antithesis of everything the bear stands for. Security video shows two British Royal Air Force engineers kicking the statue, breaking it apart, and then getting away with half the bear in a taxi. Last month, po Least track them to the Air Force barracks and arrested them later that day. Newbury is the birthplace of Michael Bond, who created the Paddington Bear book series. A dating app is using artificial intelligence to teach people how to flirt.
Speaker 6: Tinder has released a feature called the Game Game on its app, which allows you to practice your pickup lines, then get scores and suggestions on how to improve your dating skills. You play us get a virtual deck of cards, each with a different AI persona and scenario like accidentally grabbing someone else's luggage at the airport. You use your voice to respond and try to get a date with the bot within a time limit. Tinder says it's not designed to replace conversations, but encourage them with real people in real life. The game game is powered by Open AI. Michael Krozier KFI News.
Speaker 1: That sounds very strange to me, Well, this is going to sound good if you're a Simpsons fan, Box says, keeping the Simpsons around until.
Speaker 3: At least the end of this decade.
Speaker 1: The network announced yesterday it has ordered four more seasons of the long running animated series that'll take it through the twenty eight to twenty nine season, which will be the show's fortieth Can you believe that the Simpsons.
Speaker 3: Have been around that long?
Speaker 1: The Simpsons first hit the airwaves in nineteen eighty nine. Fox also gave four season renewals to Family Guy, Bob's Burger's and American Dad And I've never watched an episode of any of them Simpsons, Yes, the other three. No. Tomorrow, the Dodgers are taking on the Phillies in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: First pitch goes out at three forty five.
Speaker 1: Listen to every Dodgers game on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth, and you can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app the keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. The La City Council is making moves to update the city's building code that would allow for apartment buildings to have just one stairwell instead of the two now mandated by fire standards. The council says those standards are out of date and that single stairwelled buildings will encourage more affordable, family sized apartments. A bill has been introduced to limit ice agents access to school campuses in the state California. State Superintendent Tony Thurman says Senate Bill forty eight would address safety concerns for immigrant families and protect school funding. The bill is in response to President Trump's executive order that allows ice to go into schools and churches. For the second time in a week, Starbucks is getting sued by a customer, this one in Norwalk, who says he was injured after a hot drink spilled on his lap because the lid wasn't secured to the top. The lawsuits were filed after a jury awarded fifty million dollars to a man who said he got third degree burns from a hot drink that'spilled on him at a Starbucks drive through in South la.
Speaker 3: At six oh five.
Speaker 1: It's handled on the news. Four Republicans have broken with President Trump. They're trying to block tariffs against Canada. Let's say good morning now to ABC's crime and Terrorism analyst Brad Garrett. So we know we've been hearing about the rash of very high profile break ins at athletes homes, and then, as crimes do tend to do, there's been an escalation. So let's talk about what's happening and how the most recent break in in Washington is different.
Speaker 4: Okay, So you have Richard Sherman, a former NFL player I think for the Seattle Seahawks houses broken into. He's not home, but his family and children are. Now these guys and he come through the window. It looks like I'm going to guess through a screen, have guns drawn, have their faces covered clearly in my view, believing that there's somebody to confront on the other side of the window. Now, that's somewhat different based on what we know about a number of the burglaries, both in or around Los Angeles as well as other cities where these folks tend to go in when no one's home because burglars, by and large don't want to be confrontational. So we'll have to see if this whole thing of South American theft groups coming from places like Peru, Chile, Ecuador, etc. Are coming up here expressly to burglarized homes in various places across the country. And so you know, the question is, how do you what do you do about this?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: The FBI now is actively working these burglary groups and have charged a number of them in federal court. You had a case in the Los Angeles area recently of a group that's connected to South America that it hit over thirty houses before they got caught. They tend to have the fences already lined up. The folks who get rid of the stolen property, they obviously hit these houses. In particular athletes, because it's easy. Their schedules are published. When they're playing either at a home game where they're obviously not in the house, or they're away in another city, they hit the house. They grab jewelry, designer purses, stuff they can quickly get out of the house, take it to a fence, turn it into cash, go to a bank, use a fake passport to open a bank account, and then send the money back to their home country and then leave. And then they either get caught after a number of days or they don't, and they go back home and another group of people come. So it's a big problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and generally so they fly in, burglarize a few homes, and then they leave, they don't stick around, or do they stay kind of for a while, or do we know yet.
Speaker 4: What well some have done gone into overstay. You know, they're allowed to come and I'm making this up for thirty days and then they overstay and then they're not here illegally anymore. The other problem to me is that some of these South American countries, and this may have changed in recent times, have what the State Department calls a visa waiver program that you can come into the US and you don't need a visa, which unfortunately can make it super easy for people who are coming here to do illegal things. And as I said, I believe some of that has tightened up. But the problem is some of these you know, very poor third world countries in South America really don't have the mechanism, manpower, or the expertise to screen anybody that's coming up here. So some of that's got to change. But the FBI, working with city, county and state law enforcement in particularly with LAPD, have gotten the handle on a lot of these a lot of these folks that have arrested a number of them.
Speaker 1: So that's that's the positive news. Who's behind them? Are the cartels behind all this?
Speaker 4: Or is it just it's really it's really hard to say. I mean, I guess I'd be surprised if it's the cartels only because there's not that much money. I mean, you can make right, right, I mean, if you can flood la with filling the blank illegal drug and make literally billions of dollars, are you going to mess around with jewelry and you know, watches And the reality is that eventually these folks get caught.
Speaker 1: So my guess is no, okay, and is there I mean, like, what can law enforcement do because, like you said, they're breaking into people's houses generally, although this last one was obviously different, but they're breaking in when they know they're going to be out of town and there's probably no one home.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 4: So the real key obviously is immediately looking for links between cases, which you know, the FBI can be particularly helpful. Let's say the LAPD. If you're talking about like someone's house is you know, getting burglarized in another state, that they can look at the link and see if they're potentially the same group. Once you do that, you can then potentially start looking at cell phone usage in or around the burglarized locations and see if they match up. You know, the problem is if people come in here temporarily and they're not even here with using their real name, unless you can really get onto them and start to link them quickly, they can stay here for a while and you don't really know who they are. So it's a real challenge for law enforcement because they've you know, they've got customs and Border Protection, the ICE agents all I think also working with them to look at this factor of coming into the country. But as I mentioned earlier, it's an ongoing problem that you know, if you were someone in one of these poor countries, why wouldn't you come and try this. If you're inclined to break the law.
Speaker 3: That gu's worth the risk to you. So, Brad, then here's a question.
Speaker 1: I know that we've been focus sing on, you know, like the superstars and the athletes that aren't being broken into. But the reality is it's happening to people who aren't famous, like people who go on vacation if they if people know that you're going to be gone, or the people who are setting up cameras in neighborhoods to watch when people are coming and going. I mean, is there anything you can do to protect yourself aside from an alarm system.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a combination, yes, an alarm system, which you know, you want to let your trusted neighbors around you know that you're gone, make sure it doesn't look like anything has changed. You have lights that come on at a certain hour, no mail or newspapers building up in the front. And you know, if you're somebody particularly of means and have the money to add, like even a physical patrol to your house where they could check it regularly while you're gone, is just to make it that much more difficult to get into your house and to have people potentially watch it. And that's the roo key.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Crime and Terrorism analyst Brad Garrett, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to you again soon.
Speaker 4: Sounds great. Thank you, Amy.
Speaker 2: Take care.
Speaker 1: A man from seem Valley is expected to plead guilty to trying to assassinate Supreme Court Justice Brett Kevanaugh.
Speaker 8: Nicholas Rosk of seem Valley was arrested near Kavanaugh's home in Chevy Chase, Maryland, in June of twenty twenty two. Authority say Rosk was armed with a gun and a knife and was carrying zip ties and was dressed in black when he arrived in the neighborhood by taxi one in the morning. After his arrest, Rosk told police that he was upset by a leaked draft opinion so justin Supreme Court intended to overrule Roe v.
Speaker 5: Wade.
Speaker 8: Rosk faces life in prison if convicted. How The Brooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: Drone and body camera footage released by police and Marietta shows officers moving in quickly to arrest a man in a pickup truck accused of threatening a person with a gun. When officers arrived at the initial location, they say the man had taken off. Detectives were able to track him down using patrols, community police, drones and canine units. A man's been convicted of killing his mother and younger brother in their home in Diamond Bar. Prosecutors say he then dragged them into another room and folding them up like trash. Eric Kwan testified in his defense in the trial. He says he killed them in May of twenty twenty one in self defense and was afraid for his life. He says he didn't call police in part because pot was being grown illegally in the House. White House be Psial Secretary Caroline Levittza's reports that Elon Musk will soon be stepping away from his doze duties are garbage. Politicos says Musk is on his way out after his efforts to get a conservative Supreme Court judge elected in Wisconsin failed. Musk and Trump have said from the start that Musk has one hundred and thirty days to cut waste and fraud in government, and then he will go back to his regular job. Hey, the Wiggle Waggle Walk is just four days away, and we do hope you'll join us. If you haven't already signed up for the wake Up Call Wiggler's team, you can do it right now kfiam six forty dot com slash Wiggle. If you can't make it out, of course, we would love for you to donate. It all goes to the Pasadena Humane people who are doing such great work to help animals. And The event is Sunday, April sixth at Brookside Park at the Rose Bowl. The event starts at eight, The walk and run starts at nine and there's so much else to do aside from the walk and run, there's vendors, food trucks, training demonstrations, dog costume contests, and of course we'd love for you to stop by the KFI booth where we've got three hundred swag bags filled with exclusive KFI gear. And also thanks to our friends Doctor Marty Pets who are supporting the KFI team for the Wiggle Waggonwalk for Pasadena Humane, we've put together some really great gift baskets. You know that doctor Marty Pets food is good food for your pet, so you can come out see is at the KAFI booth again. We'll be there from eight to eleven and if you donate five dollars or more to our team, you'll be entered into the raffle to win one of the gift baskets at feature doctor Marty's Nature's Blend, a premium freeze dried food made with real cuts of meat, super food, veggies and fruit to support your dog's health and happiness. You can also go to doctor martypets dot com slash pets and save fifty four percent and get free dog treats. That's doctor Martypets dot com slash pets hope to see you at the Wiggle Waggle Walk this Sunday again. Please sign up now KFI AM six forty dot com slash Wiggle or you can also make a donation at that web address. The death toll from the Pacific Palisades and Altadena wildfires has gone up to thirty. The Ellie County Medical Examiners confirmed that remains found yesterday in Alcadina are human. Medical examiner says is going to take a while to identify who it was. Police in the FBI are investigating the discovery of a thirteen year old boy's body in a wooded area in Oxnard. Officials say Oscar Hernandez, who was from San Fernando, was reported missing by his family when he didn't come home from an acquaintance's house on Sunday. His body was found near McGrath State Beach yesterday afternoon. The cause of death hasn't been released. The Dodgers are on a tear with a six five win over Atlanta. The Dodgers are eight and oh on the season. That's the best start ever to a season by a defending World Series champion team, and shohy O'tani hit a walk off home run in the ninth last night. That was a nice way to end the game, especially on show Hey Otani Bobblehead Night. The Dodgers had to Philadelphia next. Of course, you can hear all the games on our sister station, AM five seventy LA Sports at six oh five.
Speaker 3: It's Handle on the news.
Speaker 1: A new bill aims to keep ice out of school, campuses and out of churches. Neil Svader's in four bill Handle. He'll tell you about that. Amy's on it, AMI's on it, AMI's on it.
Speaker 9: Aami's on it.
Speaker 1: Before I tell you the show that I'm on. Also a heads up for anybody who's a handmade's Tale theme. In case you haven't heard yet, the new season drops in just a couple of days.
Speaker 3: I think it's April eighth.
Speaker 1: So I went back and watched like the last couple because it's been a couple of years since the last season and this is supposed to be the final season.
Speaker 3: So can't wait for that. Okay.
Speaker 1: I'm on streaming shows and movies and documentaries, all kinds of different things that you can see because there's so much content out there, and there's there's good content. There's bad content, and maybe if it's something bad that I can share with you, you might save a little time. Or if there's something that you haven't seen yet, it might be so good you just can't miss it. This one is, I think, really good. It's called The Residence. It's brand new, it's on Netflix, just released a few weeks ago. It's eight episodes, so it's a nice short binge and it stars Uzo a Duba. I hope I'm saying that right. She You will remember her from Orange is the New Black. She was Suzanne Warren. They called her Crazy Eyes. She was one of my favorites on that show. She plays Detective Cordelia Cup who is the person that is called in to solve impossible cases. So the backdrop of it is there's a murder in the White House the night of a state dinner with Australia and g and Carlo Esposito. You might know him from well, you'll know him from everything, but he's most recently in The Mandalorian, he was in Breaking Bad in tons of other shows. He plays ab Winter and he dies in the first episode, like right out of the gate. So I'm not giving anything away, but he is a big part of the show as Detective Cup works to try to find out who killed them, and the question is what would have motivated someone to murder the White House Usher. He's the guy who basically runs the White House, so why would someone want him dead? Well, in each episode, Detective Cup focuses on someone new, puts them in the scot spotlight and watches them, and she doesn't point the finger at them. They're not called a suspect. She always says no, no, no, I'm just I'm just finding out. But she's always focusing on different people who were there the night of the murder, and it's everybody from staff to world leaders to guests at the at the dinner. And she's super observant. She notices things that other people don't. It seems to be a common theme and a lot of shows these days, but it's always very interesting because it's stuff that I would have missed. She doesn't draw conclusions, she just observes, and it is it's a It's like a classic who Done It? And it's pretty fun. It's kind of a mix of Clue and murder on the Orient Express, so it's serious but also a little bit lighter and fun and the characters are quirky and they're interesting. And the other thing I love about it is as they're trying to figure out who did what and where people were during the evening and that kind of stuff, it gives you this bird's eye view of the White House, which is fascinating. Basically shows you the plans for the White House, and then you get to see kind of the inner workings of the White House and secret spaces and places and how it all works and comes together. So I think that that part, and as a side, just because it's the White House, I think it's super interesting. And Uzo Aduba is fabulous, best part of the show. She is so fun to watch. It's called The Residents. It's on Netflix. The all eight episodes are out.
Speaker 3: I'm on it. I think you might want to be on it too.
Speaker 1: All right, time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Courtney.
Speaker 9: Good morning.
Speaker 3: Oooh it's rough here, I.
Speaker 1: Bet so let's dive right into it. Because after the tariffs were announced, the stock market had ended up yesterday and then that announcement came and something else happened.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the market's really not liking what they're hearing when it comes to tariffs, and this report is sponsored by Total Wine and more. Well, the president's plan is a lot tougher than what Wall Street was expecting.
Speaker 3: So this definitely sparked a sell off for global stocks. So let's put it all in perspective.
Speaker 9: Roughly one point seven trillion dollars trillion with a T is set to be erased from the S and P five hundred when trading opens this morning. So we've been talking to a lot of folks on training desks to get you a bit of color on what's happening, why the markets are reacting this way. Here's Jane Fully, and she's a strategist at Rabobank.
Speaker 2: They were generally worse than that the market had anticipated.
Speaker 3: Of course, we knew that they were going to be tariff's, but these are at the top end really of many market at full costs that we had, So it's a lot more than what traders thought.
Speaker 9: Plus what does this mean for companies? Here's Bob Michael of JP Morgan Asset Management.
Speaker 2: Right now, a heavy tax has been applied to businesses and to households. Businesses have to decide how much they're going on to absorb, and how much they're going to pass through.
Speaker 9: So economists say the near term result of all of these measures will likely be higher prices and slower growth or perhaps even a recession. So we are looking at a rough open SMP futures they're plunging three and a half percent.
Speaker 3: That is a big drop.
Speaker 9: At the open Dow futures, they're tumbling more than twelve hundred points. Tech heavy Nasdaq it's down eight hundred and forty So rough day ahead for investors.
Speaker 1: Okay, and yesterday we had talked because I think if I'm remembering correctly, which is questionable, we had said that that, you know, that things were kind of down, but then it ended up being a decent day. So is there any hope that we're not going to have just as horrendous day on the on Wall Street?
Speaker 9: Well, see, the problem is people are looking at the individual companies and their supply chains, and many of them are dependent on overseas manufacturing. So that's why we're seeing a lot of individual companies taking a big hit. And these are really big companies. For example, Nike is getting slimmed this morning. Shares are down more than nine percent in the pre market but about half of olum Nike shoes are made in Vietnam.
Speaker 8: Now, a number of.
Speaker 9: Retailers to sourcer products abroad are seeing losses. We're talking Lulu, Lemmett and Abercrombie and Fetch Gap some of the notable names apparel and luxury stocks. They're the worst performing industry overall. As we head to the open Walmart obviously a giant company, they get a bulk of their products from China. Caterpillar and Boeing, they see a lot of sales from there that's dropping this morning.
Speaker 3: But Apple is.
Speaker 9: One of the notable movers because they're definitely finding themselves in the crosshairs of these new tariffs and that's going to hit the company's supply chain in manufacturing centers around the world.
Speaker 1: Okay, so our sixteen hundred dollars phone's not going to be twenty five hundred dollars.
Speaker 9: Great, No, Well, the thing about Apple is, you know they moved some of their some of their production and manufacturing center out of China, moved into other countries thinking okay, well we're going to avoid this first time around, and look, it ends up pinning them because they pretty much have no manufacturing at all in the United States. So that's one of the issues why to be able to move a supply chain like that back to the United States is going to be really tough. And now the big question with these tariffs is are these going companies going to hold on to this or is this going to get passed on to the consumer. So there's a lot of questions out there. This is why we're seeing the markets reacting the way that they are. And it seems across the board from a lot of people that I've been talking to on Wall Street, this is going to be tough.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, and we'll be watching it.
Speaker 1: We're going to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, thank you so much. We'll talk to you again tomorrow and see what that wild ride is like for tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Have a better date than the markets. All right, thanks Courtney.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news for more protections and rights for fast food workers in LA could soon be extended.
Speaker 5: Workers from the fast food industry crowded city hall to make their case. Councilman Isabelle Herado says paid time off, paid training, to educate them on their rights and mandating reliable scheduling is important for fast food employment.
Speaker 4: We're fighting for these jobs so that they can have a predictable schedule, that they'll know their rights, so that they keep their jobs.
Speaker 5: The La City Council has voted to have the City Attorney draft and ordinance enhancing the city's Fair Workweek Ordinance to make it more applicable to fast food workers. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Hunter Biden will be permanently stripped of his law license in Washington, d C. The former president's son agreed to a consent to disbarment in an affidavit Field yesterday are filed yesterday. His law license was suspended last year after he was found guilty in Delaware federal court of lying about his drug use when buying a gun. Steven Spielberg and George Lucas are at the top of Forbes' list of celebrity billionaires. Spielberg, according to the new list, is worth five point three billion dollars. Lucas is not far behind, worth five point one billion. Michael Jordan, Oprah Winfrey, and wrestling mogul Vin S. McMahon round out the top five. Eighteen celebrities made the list. LA City Council's unanimously approved emotion to work on a plan to extend protections for fast food employees. Supporters call it a significant step in providing fast food workers with stable scheduling and paid time off. A coalition of restaurant owners says putting more mandates on owners could hurt workers, small businesses, and.
Speaker 3: Customers because of higher prices.
Speaker 1: President Trump announced a reciprocal tariffs against some sixty countries during a Rose Garden ceremony. Trump says trading partners have looted, pillaged, and raped American industries for decades. Critics claim the reciprocal tariffs are unfair and could lead to hyper inflation. Amazon's reportedly making a last minute bid to buy TikTok. The e commerce giants admitted the bid through an offer letter sent to Vice President JD Vance and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick. Saturday's a deadline for Chinese based Byte Dance to sell TikTok, or the app will face a ban in the US for just minutes away from Handle On the News This Morning with Neil Savedra, a man from California is expected to plead guilty to trying to kill a Supreme Court justice.
Speaker 3: On a happier note, we're.
Speaker 1: Just a few days away from the Wiggle Wagga Walk for Pasadena Humane. So let's say good morning to Pasadena Humans. Kevin McManus, Kevin, We're just just a couple of days away before we all go to the dogs.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm really excited, So tell her.
Speaker 1: Tell us about the walk for anybody who may not be familiar, if they haven't heard me talking about it a.
Speaker 2: Lot on Waco, call, Well, the Wigga Wagga Walking Run is our biggest fundraiser at the year, excuse me. And we have basically a big dog walk at the Rose Bowl and then you know kind of like a fun you know, vendor event and booths and doggy costume contests all that kind of stuff at Brookside Park. So it's Sunday, April sixth, from nine to eleven. And yeah, you don't need a dog to you know, participate, but it's a little bit more fun if you do. Yep.
Speaker 1: And last year you said kind of all all walks of dogs are welcome. We had a lot of dogs last year that came in strollers like they just couldn't make the walks, so they got pushed around the route.
Speaker 3: So all dogs are welcome, right of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Obviously, if your dog is uncomfortable with other dogs, maybe this isn't the best event for him or her. But other than that, yeah, every dog is welcome. You know, there's two options for walking. There's the five mile or sorry, the five k the three mile loop around the entire Rose Bowl, and then there's a one mile loop, which a lot of the smaller dogs or older dogs are those in strollers choose to take. But a lot of fun things for pet owners, a lot of great vendors. This year. Subaru has this cool activation they're doing and they're they're sponsoring all the adoptions that happened at our Wiggle Waggle Wagon this year, which is really cool.
Speaker 3: So you're gonna have dogs out on site again this year.
Speaker 2: That's right, You have adoptable dogs. Yeah, so, and there some of them will be walking with our volunteers and I obviously decked out so you know who's who. But yeah, if you're looking for a dog, now was a great time too.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And as we've talked about before last year, I got to walk this beautiful Doberman pincher and had some volunteers with me to make sure that everything went well.
Speaker 3: But she was just awesome.
Speaker 1: And I had somebody on the walk who didn't have a dog, and they were asking me about her and they ended up adopting her. I mean, so do you just even if you show up without a dog, you might go home with one. That's one of the great things of Wiggle Waggle Walk.
Speaker 2: And I would have tap my eye on one for you. Amy, I've got my eye on a dog right now. He's gonna be perfect. If he's still arrived, he isn't adopted by then he's your dog.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yay, I can't wait.
Speaker 1: I miss having a dog and I love to get to have one just for a couple of hours. And then the costume contest is always so much fun, Like a lot of dogs dress up for this and you have a whole contest going.
Speaker 2: So many it's crazy and people go all out. You know, it's one of my favorite parts. Just like I've overwhelmed with people's creativity and how they can you know, dress out, how can they get their dogs to put on a costume, which is also a feat but then yeah, the creativity that goes into some of these costings, that's really stunning.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Kevin, let's talk about because we know that you said it's the biggest fundraiser. We know that you're asking people to take their hard earned money and donate it to Pasadena Humane. So let's talk about what the money that we donate and what the money we raise is going to do. Well.
Speaker 2: It helps us with all of our programs that we do throughout the year. So that's our Animal ICU, which was kind of, you know, really highlighted during the fire, caring for animals that were entered and burned in the fire, our foster care program, argument education programs, are Wildlife like all of the things that we do for the animals in our community that gets funding directly from events like this. So that's why we you know, we know people have been overwhelmingly supporting us for the last few months because of the fire, but we're asking for just a little bit more because this will help us do what we do all year long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you.
Speaker 1: Want to see some of what they do, we posted on Instagram after we came and visited you after the fires, and it's at Amy k King. But Kevin took us into one of the operating rooms and we got to see one of the little cats who was being treated and some of them that are that were on the road to repair after they were burned in that awful fire. And then are you still boarding some of the animals or is everybody.
Speaker 3: Back in their homes.
Speaker 2: We still have about one hundred and forty animals that we're caring for, and you know, that's definitely like a long term need as well, just kind of so that unfortunately that is expensive. We're not charging any of the pet owners anything, you know, we know that they're going through a lot and have lost homes. But yeah, so we're caring for their pets until they can you know, make the next step in their you know, journey to recovery, which you know, it actually impacts the shelter a lot because we you know, a lot, a good chunk of those are still at the shelter itself. We have a lunch in foster homes too, but you know, it makes us you know, just kind of every dog that comes in, we're already like we need to have a plan on how to get that dog adopted. So it's a lot of pressure right now for us because of that, but you know, we're making the best of it. When you know, obviously we're going to be there for the community for as long as it takes.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And I know that we're talking about dogs for this weekend because of the Wiggle Waggle Walk, but it's almost kitten season, so keep that in mind.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, for sure. We've already gotten letters of kittens in and we have a kitten shower coming up in a couple of weeks which will be a fun event. But so people are interested in fostering kittens, that's a really good opportunity and a good way for us to kind of share the share the load of caring for the the thousands of kittens that we'll get in.
Speaker 1: Okay, And if they are interested in fostering or something, can they just go to Pasadena Humane.
Speaker 2: The website exactly, yeah, or if they're at the walk, I know the foster team will be there with an informational tablet.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Kevin McManus with Pasadena Humane can't wait to see you on Sunday. It's the Wiggle Waggle Walk for Pasadena Humane And if you would like to join our team. We would love to have you come walk for it with us, and of course we would love to take your donation. And you can do both of those things at KFI AM six forty dot com, slash Wiggle. Thanks Kevin, We'll see you Sunday.
Speaker 2: Okay, Thanks Amy.
Speaker 3: All right, take care.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. President Trump is imposed new tariffs on all imported goods and released a detailed list of the reciprocal duties, targeting more than sixty countries.
Speaker 10: We're standing up for the American worker, and we are finally putting America first.
Speaker 1: He called yesterday Liberation Day for the US, saying trading partners of looted, pillaged, and raped American industries for decks gates, leading to a loss of US jobs and manufacturing.
Speaker 10: Our country and its taxpayers have been ripped off for more than fifty years. But it is not going to happen anymore.
Speaker 3: It's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: The tariffs are based on what other countries charged the US to import products, and in many cases are lower. Southern California has four James Beard Awards finalists.
Speaker 8: Known as the Oscars of Food, The James Beard Awards celebrates the best and brightest from chefs to restaurants. Among LA's finalists are Daniel Castillo of Heritage Barbecue, John Yoo of Kato, Strong Water in Anaheim and Long Beaches Gusto Bread. The first James Beard Award ceremony was held in nineteen ninety one, with chefs like Rick Baylists, Nancy Silverton and Wolfgang Pock walking away with the prize. This year's winners will be announced out of Gallas Ceremony in Chicago on June sixteenth.
Speaker 3: Heather Brooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: Just hearing James Beard makes me hungry, as you know, the food is good. This is KFI and kosd HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland Weather from KFI, going to see part of Cloudy Sky's. I had a twenty percent chance we'll get some showers this afternoon and evening. Highs in the fifties for the Antelope Valley, low sixties at the beaches, low to mix, mid sixties for Metro La inland O c The Valley's in ie. It's going to be sunny and a couple of degrees warmer Tomorrow, highs in the sixties to mid seventies, warming up about five degrees for the weekend. Highs in the seventies to near eighty sixties for the High Desert. It's fifty two in Irvine, forty nine and your Belinda forty eight in Pasadena and thirty seven in Lancaster. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any wake Up Call, you can listen to today's episode or any episode that you'd like anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Just search wake Up Call.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.