Speaker 1: In October nineteen eighty six, nine year old friends Nicola Fellows and Karen had Away disappeared while playing near their homes in Brighton, England.
Speaker 2: They were just seen being little girls around the estate, nothing extraordinary at all until that point when they disappeared off the face of the earth.
Speaker 1: The following day, the bodies of the two young girls were discovered. The police had a prime suspect, twenty year old Russell Bishop, but at his trial a year later, the killer walked away scot free.
Speaker 3: Anyone with half a brain would have been careful never to do it again, and yet he does it again.
Speaker 1: After attempting to kill a third young girl in nineteen ninety. Bishop would eventually face justice in twenty eighteen, thirty two years after the murder of Nicola and Karen the abes in the Wood.
Speaker 4: Evil, insignificant, arrogant, is a creature. He's horrible, absolutely horrible.
Speaker 1: Russell Bishop had finally been unmasked as one of the world's most evil killers. In December twenty eighteen, Russell Bishop was serving time in Franklin Maximum Security prison for the abduction, sexual assault, and attempted murder of a seven year old girl in nineteen ninety, investigators were certain the fifty two year old was also responsible for the nineteen eighty six murders of nine year old friends Nicola Fellows and Karen had Away, but in nineteen eighty seven Bishop had been found not guilty of their murders.
Speaker 2: There was a huge shock within the police when Bishop was acquitted of killing Nicola and Karen. The investigation had been carried out so professionally and so assiduously, so when the jury returned with not guilty verdicts, everyone was just stunned. It just really rocked the whole police to the corps. We just thought, what could possibly have gone wrong?
Speaker 5: We knew that it was Bishop. Everybody knew that it was Bishop, yet he'd walked.
Speaker 1: Free since then. Graham Bartlett had studied Russell Bishop's career of crime.
Speaker 2: When I was a very young detective Brighton, I became involved in the second investigation into Russell Bishop. As a result of that, I became very aware of the case that had gone on before, in the injustice that had been served through the acquittals. So I became fascinated with the case, and as my career took off, I became constantly involved in terms of just being aware and also when I was the divisional commander of Brighton and how this cloud over the whole policing of the city that we hadn't delivered justice for those two girls.
Speaker 1: This killer's story begins in Brighton, on the south coast of England. Russell Bishop was born in February nineteen sixty six. One of five brothers. Bishop had a troublesome time growing up.
Speaker 6: Bishop had difficulties at school in terms of his learning. He was dyslexic, so he was sent through a series of different special schools and he ran away a lot. So this says to me that from quite a young age, this is somebody who thinks that the rules don't apply to them. They simply don't want to follow them.
Speaker 1: As a teenager, Bishop struggled to stay on the straight and narrow.
Speaker 3: The first brushes he has with the law offer mundane offenses, a driving offense in nineteen eighty three when he's seventeen, a burglary offense in nineteen eighty four when he's eighteen, and then in nineteen eighty five he's convicted of more burglaries and is given one hundred and fifty hours of community service. He's bumping along at the bottom of the law in a very minor way.
Speaker 2: He would smoke drugs, he would carry out theft, burglaries, low level burglaries, steal from cars, just.
Speaker 5: Really the run of the mill, irritant on the estate.
Speaker 1: To try and fit in with his friends. Bishop would embellish his criminal accomplishments.
Speaker 3: He has a bit of a ponchamp for bigging himself up. I mean he likes to say, oh, oh, I'm a master criminal. Absolute nonsense. I mean he might have tried to steal the odd car, but on a scale of one to ten, he's a zero. He's no master criminal at all.
Speaker 6: Bishop was a compulsive liar. He would lie about sexual conquests, how many women he'd slept with, the kind of criminal activity that he'd been involved in. So he's somebody who's very concerned with what other people think of him and essentially giving a performance. So he will embellish, he will exaggerate, he will report what he wants to have happened rather than what's actually happened.
Speaker 1: By nineteen eighty six, twenty year old Bishop was living in Mullscombe, a suburb of Brighton.
Speaker 2: At the time he was living with his common law wife. His girlfriend had a child by her, but also was seeing a sixteen year old girl and having a sexual relationship with her. In some ways he did show that he preferred younger girls, but nothing at all has come out then or now that would suggest that he was a pedophile.
Speaker 1: On the afternoon of the ninth of October nineteen eighty six, nine year olds Nicola Fellows and Karen had Away had come home from school and were playing on the green outside their homes in.
Speaker 3: Bullscom Everybody can pretty much see them through the window. It's late afternoon and there are a group of girls, not just two. After an hour, maybe forty five minutes, Nikola and Karen split off from the rest of the group and go in search of something else to do. At about six point fifteen, the girls are seen outside the fish and chip shop with a bag of chips each and walking. Nothing all that unusual in that except that by then both Nicholas and Karen's mother are becoming rather concerned. When Karen didn't come home for tea, which is something that she always do when had my master. Both parents started to get worried, started to have a look round, phone around friends and try and find where they are.
Speaker 2: And they were drawing a blank in this sort of a state, in any sort of a state in you know, certainly in my childhood too, it wasn't unusual for kids to go missing for you know, a couple of hours or so. The evenings were still light. But something about them go missing and not being seen nobody knew where they were. That really people's worries about what was it? What had happened to these two little girls.
Speaker 1: Throughout the evening. There had been various sightings of the girls around the estate and in nearby Wild Park.
Speaker 3: The last time the two girls are seen is heading towards Wild Park with their bags of chips and in the same vicinity had around the same time. There's also a sighting there of Russell Bishop.
Speaker 1: Bishop knew both girls through his friends and neighbors in the world.
Speaker 5: It's a very close knit community.
Speaker 2: Bishop used to play for Barry Fellows football team. He was a goalkeeper in Barry Fellows football team, so knew the Fellows through.
Speaker 5: That that way.
Speaker 2: Also his girlfriend at the time that knew the hadaways, so he got to know them through that means. Really, but Moulscome is one of these places where people literally know everybody.
Speaker 1: By eight point thirty pm, night had fallen and the girls still hadn't returned home. Their worried parents decided to call the police.
Speaker 2: When the officers drove into Newitt Road to go and see the parents, immediately they sent something was different. They both policed Mulscoom for a while, they'd been to these kind of calls before, but the number of people out on the street, the little huddles of concerned faces trying to work out what was going on. Immediately they picked up on that a.
Speaker 1: Police search begin and for the two nine year old friends.
Speaker 2: It's difficult when you're either commanding or taking part in the search such as this, because your overriding emotion must be hope. You must hope that you're going to find these girls alive, find Nichola and Karen, bring them back to their mum and dads. But in fact, the longer it went on, the less likely that was becoming.
Speaker 1: The girl's parents. The police and the whole community were desperate to find Nicola and Karen alive. It was cold and dark, but the search continued until two am, when it resumed later that morning. Detective Constable John Morton was one of the huge number of police that had been drafted in to help.
Speaker 7: The briefing started at nine o'clock and at that stage we had all available uniform personnel at Brighton engaged and the search had been ramped up considerably in an effort to find the girls.
Speaker 1: Police Constable Paul Smith had also reported for duty. He was tasked with searching homes in the area near Wild Park.
Speaker 8: We were doing every single house parallel to the park and beyond. This is a massive estate and I think there was sort of thirty forty guys involved. You knock on the door, we say, look, we've got two little girls gone missing. Can I search your house? And every single person they said, every one of them said you know, please come in.
Speaker 2: Hope was always there, but actually this dread that something awful had happened to them was starting to grow in people's minds.
Speaker 1: Members of the public also joined in the search for Nicola and Karen. One of the Mulescomb residents was twenty year old Russell Bishop.
Speaker 5: He was searching around with everybody else.
Speaker 2: He got in a car at one point and went to the back of the park, but was constantly putting him in or about the center of the search. Just wanted to be kept coming back to our park, kept wanting to talk to officers.
Speaker 6: Bishop literally can't help himself, and as with many narcissists, he wants to be right in the middle of everything. He can't step back from something, he can't be quiet, and any kind of attention, whether that's positive or whether that's negative, is something that he will value. So he places himself right in the middle of this drama that he's created.
Speaker 1: When Paul Smith continued with his search for the nine year old girls in Wild Park, Russell Bishop was already on the scene with his dog.
Speaker 8: We were sort of talking about searching, you know, looking for the girls, and he was quite negative about that. He said, I've been searching all day. My dog knows him, he's a good tracker, and I've decided to give up. I've been doing it all day. And I said, well, we've got to keep looking, got to find him. You know, if we find him, rush him to hospital and have him checked over, and then they'll be back with the mums and dads sort of thing. And he said, oh, well, I'm not doing that. He said, because if I found them and they're dead. I get arrested one out for killing them. With my background and the fact I'm being in trouble with the police, I'll get nicked. And I said, no, you won't. You've just got to give a statement, you know.
Speaker 1: At around four pm, police officer Paul and local resident Bishop were still searching for the girls, who'd now been missing for almost twenty four hours.
Speaker 8: We were sort of walking towards Wild Park by this time into our part and there was a shout from a boy and he said, we found them. We found them. We went rushing off towards them, and I had wet weather trousers, ons had been raining, I had a long raincoat, I had boots, so I was a bit slower than he was. And I said to Bishop, look, you run on ahead, and if they're there, you keep them away from the girls. And you keep away from the girls.
Speaker 1: Paul Smith arrived just after Bishop. Nightmare that everyone was dreading had become a reality.
Speaker 8: I kept them away. It was about twelve thirteen feet away from where the girls were, and I could see that they were They looked dead. I went across to them and I took the pulse and sorry I still get to me, I took the pulse and there were stone cold, dead like pieces of marble.
Speaker 1: The two teens who'd found the girls told Detective Constable John Morton that no one apart from Paul Smith had gone anywhere near the bodies. But Russell Bishop had a totally different story.
Speaker 7: He said to me that he had been searching with the other two along this path and they'd come to a fallen tree which they had to cross, and that he had crossed the tree, gone to the girls and sinned that they were both dead. And to verify that, he said he took a pulse from both girls at the neck. Frankly, I was so staggered by what he said that I sat down immediately and wrote down what.
Speaker 5: He told me in my notebook.
Speaker 8: You know, it was nothing to him, you know, like you swat a fly and then you get rid of it. It was like that he was just not bothered. There was no emotion. You know, I would have expected him, because he knew him to be like, oh my god, you know, even if you're in shock. But nothing there at all, just not you know, it was if it could have been a dead dog.
Speaker 6: The police were suspicious of bishop from the beginning, because he was overly enthusiastic and some of the information that he was sharing really didn't stack up. So he claimed to have checked the girl's pulses. He claimed to have seen blood coming from the mouth of one of the girls, and he couldn't have been close enough to see that. So the police were quite concerned at this behavior. There were a lot of red flags here, so he was the prime suspect.
Speaker 7: Really.
Speaker 1: Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway had been sexually assaulted and strangled to death. The news of the discovery quickly spread amongst the residents of Bullscombe. The entire community was in shock.
Speaker 2: Any murder is big, Any murder is a tragedy, but the loss of two little girls in such brutal circumstances is probably the biggest thing that can happen in terms of policing.
Speaker 3: It's a dreadful scene and it's a dreadful crime. It has a monstrous effect on the community in Brighton. Originally the killings were known as the Wild Park murders, but they later became known as the Babes in the Wood killings because the girls were so innocent and young.
Speaker 7: I've gone to school in Moscow for part my childhood, so it was a personal blow to me that somebody would take two young girls from that estate and decided he was going to murder them. To me, you don't do that, not on my beat.
Speaker 1: The search for two missing girls had now become a double murder case. Evidence from the surrounding area were scrutinized.
Speaker 7: That a brief England next morning, her attention was drawn to a blue sweatshirt which had a logo across the front Pinto in white lettering. It had been handed into the police box by a railway engineer who was at Muscoam station and found it hanging over the wire that separated the station from the footpath.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty six. DNA was still in its infancy, but that didn't mean the words any clues to be found on the sweatshirt.
Speaker 2: As time went on, the various forensic items were recovered from it, fibers from the girls, jumpers, ivy spores that were peculiar to the area where.
Speaker 5: The girls were killed and not where the sweatshirt was found.
Speaker 2: So it became very clear that whoever had murdered Nicola and Karen had been wearing this sweatshirt at the time. They did that because otherwise those fibers would not have retained on there. So it was really really significant this sweatshirt.
Speaker 1: Russell Bishop had been acting suspiciously and he had been spotted in the area at around the same time as the girls were last seen alive. Investigators were convinced that the Pinto sweatshirt belonged to Bishop. The evidence appeared to be pointing in one direction. In December nineteen eighty six, Bishop was charged with the murders of Nicola and Karen. Almost a year later, in November nineteen eighty seven, his trial began at Lewis Crown Court.
Speaker 2: They never quite got to the point where they could say through science that that sweatshirt was worn by Bishop on that night. They knew that it had been worn by the killer, but they couldn't put it on Bishop's back.
Speaker 1: At that point, the prosecution put forward the case that Bishop had murdered Nicola and Karen had around six thirty pm, but one witness testified she'd waved hello to the two girls at a court of the seventh fifteen minutes after the killings had supposedly taken place.
Speaker 6: The judge asked the jury to go away and consider three propositions, and if one or more of them they didn't agree with, then they had to acquit. So the first one was that the girls were dead by six point thirty, The second was that Bishop had worn the Pinto sweatshirt, and the third was that the Pinto sweatshirt had been worn by the murderer.
Speaker 7: Absolutely stunned. The most stunning thing of all was that the jury came back within two hours were not guilty verdict.
Speaker 1: The case put forward was just not strong enough to convince the jury of Bishop guilt. It was a gut wrenching blow to the families of the two girls, the investigators, and the community as a whole.
Speaker 2: Bishop knew when he heard those words not guilty, that he got away scot free.
Speaker 5: In his mind and in everybody else's mind.
Speaker 2: There was no possibility of him being prosecuted again for that.
Speaker 6: The way that the law stirred at this time we had a principle called double jeopardy, which meant that somebody couldn't be tried for the same crime twice. Once they've been acquitted, that was it. Prosecution couldn't just keep trying. So Bishop is acquitted and he feels absolutely invincible. At this point in.
Speaker 3: Time, Bishop leaves Lewis Crown Call with his arms in the air, shouting I am innocent, and rushes across the road to celebrate in the pub opposite. Now some brass neck, wouldn't you think? Some ego there? After all, he knows perfectly well, these killed those two innocent young girls.
Speaker 1: In the minds of the people who worked on the case, Russell Bishop had just got away with murder.
Speaker 8: Ordinary blogs like me p season that was summed because you know, after we'd heard about the case and we knew what had got on, we were sure that he was the killer.
Speaker 2: It was absolutely devastating for everybody that they had a child killer, a double child killer, in their hands, and he got away.
Speaker 1: Investigators were certain Bishop was the perpetrator, but they couldn't prove it in a court of law, so he walked away a free man. By nineteen eighty nine, Bishop himself was seeking.
Speaker 9: Justice and as we've still got to get this cause open, and that's all what's been on my mind is to get this causero opened.
Speaker 6: After he's acquitted, Bishop doesn't just go away and live a quiet life as a narcissist, He feels entitled to attention, and he quite likes the infamy that comes with being involved in this case. So in nine eighty nine, he goes on a march with the family and the local community to a local police station to basically raise awareness about this case, which is apparently still unsolved.
Speaker 5: Some people might be surprised that you're now linking up with the parents.
Speaker 10: Of the two murdered schoolgirls, having been accused yourself of their murder.
Speaker 9: People are very surprised that the kid master me. Why do I keep on and on and on. The fact is I want to say this case with open my name isn't cleared until someone else has brought the justice to real person.
Speaker 6: He really enjoys being at the center of that because it enables him to claim the victim status for himself. He's saying, everybody, look at me, I am the victim of a miscarriage of justice. Feel sorry for me.
Speaker 1: By February nineteen ninety, Sussex police were still trying to move on from what they believed to be a grave miscarriage of justice when a similar attack took place in the county.
Speaker 2: I remember, in my first month as a detective at Brighton's the idea as a very junior DC bottom of the pile. Working one Sunday evening it happened to be the third anniversary of the girl's funerals, and then suddenly everything changed. The sergeant came in and told us that a little girl had gone missing from Whitehawk, which is a similar estate to Mulscom, a different part of Brighton, and shortly after she'd been reported missing, a little girl had been found naked, scratched, crying on Devil's Dike, which is a big wind swept part of what's now the Southdowns National Park.
Speaker 1: Detective Inspector Malcolm Bacon was in charge of the investigation.
Speaker 4: She comes to she's in the middle of nowhere, so she stumbles out and she's been seen by a couple who were on the main road deck. So she goes to the mess and the first thing she said, you're not kidnappers, are you? Bless her? But of course they weren't, wrapped her up in a pullover and a coat and took her to the Dyke Golf Club.
Speaker 1: The seven year old girl that survived a terrifying ordeal, which she bravely shared with Malcolm and his team. After roller skating to the local shop to buy some sweets, her young life would change forever.
Speaker 4: She was on her way back when she said she saw this red car and she was scooting past it. Suddenly she was grabbed, literally grabbed, snatched off the street and dumped into the boot of this red car, this red Corteina. She was scared, absolutely scared, witness and she realized she saw can of WD forty. She described it as the stuff that her dad uses to get the car started. And she also found in there like a hammer type thing, and she started bashing on the lid of the boot with this hammer. Suddenly the driver shouted down and told her to shut up, stop doing her or killer.
Speaker 1: The girl kept quiet, hoping that she'd be set free, but her ordeal continued.
Speaker 4: She was bundled straight into the back seat of the car, and from there she realized and she saw the person who was responsible, and she strangled. She was strangled certainly to the point of view that she passed out. And I am sure, I am sure that Bishop was convinced that he killed her.
Speaker 1: Three years after the murders of Nicola Fellows and Karen had Away, Russell Bishop was hoping to claim a third victim.
Speaker 4: At that point, unconscious, hardly any life signs at all. She was sexually assorted. Bishop then just takes what he considers to be the dead, naked body of a seven year old child that he is just assorted and abused and just discance her. There's no other word for it. He discards her. He just throws her in the middle of these gorse bushes. On a freezing cold Sunday night in.
Speaker 1: February, Bishop sped off in his car, but the monster had made a mistake. The girl was not dead.
Speaker 6: I think he did seriously believe that she was dead because strangulation was a method that he'd used before on Karen and Nikola, and it had been successful in relation to that case, so he assumes that it's worked again and that he's gotten away with it again because there are no witnesses.
Speaker 4: We don't normally use forensic pathologists to do examinations of children, but on this particular case, it was because he noticed not only the pinching on the round the throat, but also particular hemorrhages, which is indicative of a suffocating injury. That's the sort of thing that you look at when a person has been strangled and they're killed. That's how close she was seconds, I would suggest, seconds away from death.
Speaker 1: The seven year old girl's incredible testimony immediately helped Malcolm and his team come up with a prime suspect.
Speaker 4: So I gave a briefing to the troops and I mentioned about the red cardiff that and the other and the uniform chief inspector said, are you aware that Russell Bishop was seen in a red car this week?
Speaker 1: Less than two and a half years after his acquittal for murder. The police were paying twenty three year old Russell Bishop another visit.
Speaker 2: They drove up to his house and saw him scrubbing as if his life depended on it.
Speaker 4: Washing his red courtena on a Sunday night in February. That didn't sit night.
Speaker 5: So Bishop was arrested and taken to the police station.
Speaker 1: Bishop was back in custody. It was a moment of bittersweet redemption for Sussex Police.
Speaker 4: People were volunteering to come in as soon as somebody heard it was Russell Bishop that had been nicked as well. You've got to be honest that that was like a magnet as well. That was like a magnet and I went down with the sergeant from the seen as a crime officer to look at this car. And when we opened up the bootlead, we saw the WD forty, We saw the hammer, we saw the chip marks to the boot and we thought we're going in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Evidence collected at the scene near Devil's Dyke didn't help Bishop's cause.
Speaker 4: We find tire marks at the area where we've the assault took place. The tire marks later found to be exactly identical to the ones that are on Bishop's car.
Speaker 1: Soon news reached the station of even more evidence that pointed towards Bishop's involvement.
Speaker 2: There was a taxi driver that found a bundle of clothing on a road. It was fairly busy, but was the natural route away from the Dike to where Bishop lived. This bundle of clothing would ultimately be a parcel of evidence that had both the girls and Bishop's DNA in it together.
Speaker 4: Shippings from the bootleg that were on there. There was clothing fibers which later matched up to the ones that little girl was wearing. There was blood and they were seamen on those trousers, immediately linking the little girl to those trousers to Bishop and then the car as well.
Speaker 1: In a bid to make sure Bishop didn't escape justice. The brave seven year old girl was willing to face her attacker once more.
Speaker 2: Almost at the time a decision had to be made was whether Bishop was going to be freed or not. His solicitor asked for an identification parade. This was a bit of a last desperate throw over dice.
Speaker 5: In my view.
Speaker 2: It was a chance for Bishop's solicitors to see how well this little girl would stand up to the account that she'd given.
Speaker 4: They set it up in a room with a one way mirror, and so she could stand back and she can observe. He sat down, he was given his.
Speaker 9: Number, and I'm going to ask you in a moment to look through the window at the line.
Speaker 5: Of men who are sitting there.
Speaker 8: I should then ask you whether the person who you saw on that day is fear.
Speaker 2: The girl looked up and down the line, stopped at the Bishop, looked at Bishop.
Speaker 5: He couldn't see her. You think it's number line, thank you.
Speaker 4: So it was really quite a tear jerking moment in a sense. It was so emotional that that little bit, I mean, it was just wonderful for her and for us, definitely for us.
Speaker 1: Bishop was charged with kidnap, in decent assault and attempted murder. At his trial in November nineteen ninety, he took to the stand in a bid to discredit the police investigation.
Speaker 3: The ever slippery Bishop attempts to convince the world that he has been fitted up for the crime because of his fame. Oh, I'm the man that got away with the babes in the woodkillings. I was acquitted, but now they're trying to make up for lost time.
Speaker 4: He got in a box and he started to give evidence, and his arrogance just shone through. He didn't have to do anything. Just let him talk, Just let him talk me, and it just showed this psychopathic behavior throughout. He couldn't stop himself from being the victim to this arrogance that he showed throughout.
Speaker 1: With incredible bravery, the young girl, who had since turned eight, agreed to take to the stand in order to help get a conviction.
Speaker 3: It must have been the most extraordinary moment. You've got this man full of all kinds of slippery stories, and you've got this little girl sitting on a high stool with pillows, saying I know who attacked me. He did.
Speaker 5: It was a moment of the highest drama.
Speaker 6: I think this kind of courage and resilience is something that Bishop will never have because he's such coward. Very often in these cases, the victims embody everything that the perpetrators aren't, and that is very much the case here.
Speaker 1: There is no escaping justice this time. On the thirteenth of December nineteen ninety, Russell Bishop was sentenced to life in prison.
Speaker 2: Sometimes when murderers are convicted and good sentences are passed down, the police have a bit of a celebration, might go out for a drink or you know, just a very satisfied with the outcome. There were no celebrations this time. You know, we locked up a very very evil man. But there was no cause for celebration because the families of those two little girls were still waiting for their day in courts, still waiting for justice.
Speaker 1: The guilty verdict to reaffirm the communities believed that Bishop was behind the nineteen eighty six murders of Nicola and Karen, even.
Speaker 2: Though Bishop had been convicted of a very similar offense against very similar girl in very similar circumstances. Nothing would have allowed the police to recharge Bishop with those earlier murders and put in before the court. The law simply didn't allow it. So we were stuck. We knew that Bishop had killed Nicola and Karen. Everybody knew that. Within the police, the families knew that nothing we could do about it.
Speaker 1: By two thousand and four, thirty eight year old Russell Bishop had been in prison for fourteen years. The convicted pedophile was due to be released at any moment. Detective Jeff Riley had been recruited in the same year that Bishop was sent to prison, but he was still aware of the miscarriage of justice surrounding the babes in the Wood murders.
Speaker 10: Well I joined the police in nineteen ninety, so of course that was only a few years after he had been acquitted at trial. Now I was aware of the investigation, and I was aware had a massive impact clearly on the families, a massive impact on the community in Wull's Comb. And I think it always hung as a bit of a dark crowd over Brighton and over Sussex place because you never want to see the murder of two little girls, you know, with the guy not brought.
Speaker 1: To justice, but all that was about to change.
Speaker 10: The big change came in in two thousand and three when the Criminal Justice Act was brought in. It was actually became law in two thousand and five, and that was a real milestone in the UK justice system because it meant that someone who's found not guilty i acquitted at trial could now potentially be taken back to trial and be retried for the original offense.
Speaker 1: The new legislation that removed the so called double jeopardy law meant Bishop could be retried for the murders of Nicola and Karen, but only if there was some new evidence against him.
Speaker 2: When we talk about new evidence, we weren't talking about evidence that had been sat there and the police hadn't bothered to look at, or the prosecution had decided not to use. It could had to be new evidence, and it had to be compelling.
Speaker 1: Gathering the new evidence would take years, but fortunately, as Bishop was still considered a danger to young girls, his parole was continually denied. By twenty thirteen, Jeff and his team believed they had made a breakthrough. Although DNA testing wasn't readily available to detectives in nineteen eighty six, forensic science had come on in leaps and bounds. The blue Pinto sweatshirt once again became pebotal in the case.
Speaker 10: Normally they would always test around the neck, they would test under the armpits. But they took the view that actually had like a double cuff on the sweatshirt. So if we unpicked the cuff and pulled it apart, we may find some evidence of the wearer within that cuff. And that's exactly what they did, and that's exactly what they found. They actually recovered a full DNA profile from Russell Bishop from within that cuffed area that had been there since he bore the jumper in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: Back in nineteen eighty six, the sweatshirt had merely been regarded as lost property and had been handled so many times contamination of the evidence couldn't be ruled out in a court of law. Incredibly, it was back to square one for Jeff Well.
Speaker 10: That was a massive blow for the investigation. We'd been running two years. You know, I'd been discussing with the family. We'd built their hopes up, we'd invested a lot of money. From Sussex Police's point of view, we'd invested a lot of time, but of course the impact of the family could have been significant. But the scientists were quite upbeat and they said, look, we've got lots of other options to test evidence. So you know, just because we've lost this DNA and the calf which was our original bit, doesn't mean to say there's not other avenues.
Speaker 1: Some evidence from the original investigation was still securely sealed away, forensic examples taken from the bodies of Nicola and Karen using an adhesive tape.
Speaker 2: They decided that they would go back to these tapings, the tapings that have been taken back in the eighties by the scientists who was looking for fibers, hair foliage, those sorts of things. Because these tapings were sealed parcels in time, really there were time capsules of evidence.
Speaker 5: There was no break in seals.
Speaker 2: So they examined the tapings and this was a Eureka moment because within those tapings was Bishop's DNA.
Speaker 1: Modern science had proved what detectives back in nineteen eighty six couldn't. The new DNA evidence firmly placed Russell Bishop at the scene of the crime and proved he had been in physical contact with the two nine year old girls. It also meant, without a doubt, Bishop had been wearing the now infamous Pinto sweatshirt.
Speaker 10: So even though we'd lost the calf, we had DNA on the sweatshirt. We had DNA victim and made all the other evidence that actually stood the test of time.
Speaker 2: Bishop's assertion, and it was probably his only consistent assertion other than the fact he hadn't killed the girls, was that he knew nothing about that sweatshirt and it wasn't his here it was sprinkled in his DNA.
Speaker 1: Based on this new evidence, investigators knew that the Court of Appeal would agree to a retrial. The only thing left to do was break the news to Russell Bishop.
Speaker 10: He was a Category A prisoner because of his security risk, so we had to take him to a Category A holding police station. And that's the first thing he would have known about our investigation was when he drove into the rear yard of Durham Central Police Station and he just kept saying that I want to go back to prison. You know, this has been dealt with, This has gone away.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 10: I think he was hoping it had gone away, and I think he convinced himself it had. But of course he hadn't thought about double jeopardy. He hadn't thought about the Criminal Justice Act, and he hadn't thought about the fact that we'd never forgotten about this case. And there he was in custody, being arrested again for the murders of Karena Nicola. It was a massive moment for us.
Speaker 1: The retrial began that the Old Bailey in October twenty eighteen. Further evidence was presented against Bishop, including explicit letters he'd written to a thirteen year old girl from his prison cell while on remand for the original trial in nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 10: He started shouting that it wasn't right that he was questioned in this way. He appealed to his council, He appealed to the judge. The judge very clearly told him that these questions were appropriate and if any stage they weren't, he would step in, but he didn't need to. As this went on and went forward, Bishop became more and more angry. He then asked for break. He then left the witness box. He then refused to return, and the following day refused to return to trial. So actually he never came back to court after his initial evidence.
Speaker 3: I think he realized at that moment that he'd blown it, because the jurors could see for themselves exactly what he was capable of.
Speaker 1: After just three hours of deliberations on the tenth of December twenty eighteen, the jury had reached a decision.
Speaker 2: When they filed back into the court, the families were all there, the barristers were all there, the police officers were there.
Speaker 10: Everyone was in court apart from Bishop. The family was sitting just behind me. The courtroom was packed, but the atmosphere was electric, I mean absolutely electric. The jury came back in. You know when you all look at the jury trying to get an indication of what you think. You know, we've all done it over the years, but we just couldn't tell.
Speaker 5: The foreman stood up.
Speaker 2: The clerk asked whether they'd made a decision on which they were all agreed. The foreman confirmed they had, and then when asked whether or not they found Bishop guilty or not guilty of murdering Nicola, he replied guilty, And when asked whether they'd found the defendant guilty or not guilty of murdering Karen, he replied guilty.
Speaker 10: The fitting in the court was just astounding. Like you know, I looked at the family and just to look on their face and they let out a gasp. I think there was a gasp, but just went around the court.
Speaker 2: It was a huge moment for the whole city, for the police, for the retired officers, that this was a cloud that had now lifted from the city.
Speaker 1: Unlike his acquittal exactly thirty one years earlier to the day, Russell Bishop would not be celebrating in the pub. The following day, the fifty two year old refused to appear in front of the judge to hear his fate.
Speaker 2: His sentenced Bishop with a withering attack to two life sentences and a minimum term of thirty six years. Bishop will be at the very least eighty eight when he is eligible for parole. I would be astonished if that man ever walked the streets again.
Speaker 10: Detectives don't like to get too emotional with these things, but this was just such a massive moment for the team. And I remember sitting next to one of my guys and I was just shaking hands and you know, and just look looking at the family and smiling at Barry and Michelle and Susan and just thinking, I'm so pleased for you, you know, I'm so pleased that finally you've got justice for your daughters. It was an amazing moment, you know, one that I've never had before, and I don't think whatever have again.
Speaker 1: A weight had been lifted from Wolscombe and the city of Brighton as a whole.
Speaker 6: I think the feeling in the community amongst the family and the officers involved was that they had finally achieved justice for Karen and Nicola. But I don't think it was very much as celebratory moment. It was more the closing of a chapter because Karen and Niccola would now be women with years of life behind them and in front of them, and this is something that Bishop has denied to them. So I think there is a sense of justice here, but we'll never be able to get back what he's taken away.
Speaker 1: For thirty two years, Bishop thought he'd got away with murder, but justice eventually caught up with the Keller's killer.
Speaker 2: Russell Bishop is an evil, pedophile psychopath. His crimes speak for themselves. The way he conduct himself, the way he's conducted himself throughout just underline the evil that that man is.
Speaker 5: I used to say.
Speaker 2: That there were people that did evil things, but very few evil people. Well, Bishop is one of those evil people.
Speaker 1: Bishop was a pedophile who couldn't resist his selfish and impure instincts. He squeezed the life from two innocent young girls, and it was only his own ineptitude that saved the life of a third. Justice was thirty two years in the making, but the scars he's left on the community he ripped apart will take even longer to heal, making Russell Bishop one of the world's most evil killers.