Speaker 1: And Bart's gonna hang out with us. So how was the night for you and the better half in Brookhaven?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll correct you a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'm in Lindberghnkay, So I am right. I am about one hundred and twenty yards northwest of the confluence of the Peachtree Creek North and South Fork. Literally the confluence trail is on the other side of my apartment complex. But so that is the creek that's been causing all the problems here in Atlanta. But here in Lindbergh we are fine now. Literally right across the street.
Speaker 2: Of Piedmont and between Peedont and Peach Tree is where all that flooding is happening. But we are dry, safe, and electrified.
Speaker 1: So thank you for that this morning, yes, and well hoping that you are safely electrified, because you don't want to be dry, safe and electricized. You want to be you don't want to be electrified. And I out outdoor environs all the watching all the live shots.
Speaker 3: I do have multiple bottles of wine that now I'm not I don't know if I should drink this weekend or you know, just save up for the next rainy day.
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me. Then let me ask you this, what's West Virginia got this this this week?
Speaker 3: We play Oklahoma State tomorrow at four p m. And luckily, if if all things are are okay, I'll be watching with my fellow mountaineers, Peach State Mountaineers up at last Fir's tavern and finings.
Speaker 2: So that is the hopeful plan.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna say, with with with with all of the veno that could be keno that you have, I mean, that's why, that's why I was asking about the take the over I think is the safe play when it comes to the tot Oklahoma State and West Virginia always to me, Yeah, that one to me stood out with everything. Uh, you reached out yesterday, and I wanted to spend more substantive time with the reffing down here moments and getting into the arguments about penalty kicks and keepers keeping their stationary status and things like that. Which element in reffing down here? Did you want to tackle first? As we walked through reffing down here on a Friday.
Speaker 3: Well, there are two, so I'll preface it with that main ones. The first is from the Campion News Cup final, that penalty kick shootout, and the other one is from the Open Cup final, the goal that opened the scoring in the game. Let's start with a penalty kicks shootout because I think it's a little clear cut. I think people understand what we're saying here, but talking heads on Twitter somehow don't, and I think that's the concern.
Speaker 1: John, Okay, go for it.
Speaker 3: So obviously in the final, well I guess yeah, it was a final penalty kick for Columbus, the one that missed off the crossbar, which counts as the same for a goalkeeper in the context of vibes, but it does not count as a same in the context of the laws of the game. And that's where we have to look at this, this law of the game. So when we talk about determining the outcome of a match, we got a penalty kick shootouts. As they call it an ipab kicks from the mark, which is a lame name.
Speaker 1: Just call it a p K shootout. That sounds like what BAM is going through with the Grand Final coming up.
Speaker 3: Yes, kicks from the So it is true though, but you know, so that is how we determine the outcome of a match, and basically that means we go to an extensive application of Law fourteen.
Speaker 2: The penalty kick.
Speaker 3: Now we're all familiar with the procedure should be. But you know, I think one of the questions we have is there is.
Speaker 2: The line.
Speaker 3: The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker between the gold coasts until the ball is kick the goalpost. The goalkeeper must not behave in a way that unfairly distracts the kicker, example, delay the taking of the kick, or touch the goalpost, crossbar, or net. Right, So we have more rules about what the goalkeeper can and can't do than what the kick can do, because they can run to Ebo Jima and back and take a penalty kick and finally, apparently that's fine, pause for seven minutes and finish a sandwich and yeah.
Speaker 2: But so that's what we know.
Speaker 3: We know that those are the things, right, So I think the question here is obviously the Club America goalkeeper John and you can you could attest he was off his line, yes when the kick was taken, which everyone screams, oh, that means we have to retake it. That is not what the laws of the Game's say.
Speaker 2: If the goalkeeper offends, if the ball enters the.
Speaker 3: Goal, a goal is awarded, right, So that happens a lot where the goalkeeper comes off as line, and I think that actually happened a couple of times in the shootout where the ball still out in the back of the net.
Speaker 2: Right, if the ball misses the goal.
Speaker 3: Or rebounds from the crossbar or goal posts, the kick has only retaken if the goalkeeper's offense clearly impacted the kicker. So that's kind of that key phrase there, John, And we do get an example of crossbar or goalposts, right which.
Speaker 2: The kick to hit the crossbar very loudly.
Speaker 3: Yeah you go crying, Yes, Yeah, definitely. I think we would all agree that the goalkeeper just taking a half step off his line did not impact either the kicker or the result of the kick.
Speaker 2: Would you agree with that?
Speaker 1: I would agree, I would stipulated that, yeah, And.
Speaker 3: So that's just where the confusion is is because there was no impact. It's very similar to, you know, if I don't want to say it's an advantage because it's not quite the right word, but sometimes things happen in soccer that aren't actually impacting the game and we kind of let them go, similar to you know, maybe earling Holland throwing the ball against the defender's head. That was just zero power to doudicateor or do anything about.
Speaker 1: John, Yes, abrue.
Speaker 2: No, I joke.
Speaker 3: But really what we're looking for there is did the goalkeeper I don't know, for example, rush the kicker right? Yeah, run up at the kicker, and that would exactly. That's really the only offense that we have where the result of the kick is is.
Speaker 2: Not really important right now, If the goalkeeper saves it, we retake it.
Speaker 1: Then you've got an issue.
Speaker 3: But all the others I mean, so if a teammate of the goalkeeper offense or a teammate of the kicking team defends.
Speaker 1: They're damn fast outside the eight team, right.
Speaker 3: We do have to say if the defending team steps into the box early right, but the goal the ball goes in, okay, well we don't do anything. But if he misses, no matter what, if he misses, we can take the rekick right. Same with an attacking player. If if the attacking team goes into the box right and the goalkeeper or the kicker makes it, then we have to retake it.
Speaker 2: Now, if.
Speaker 3: The teammate comes into the box and the kicker kicks the ball out of bounds for a goal kick, then we don't retake that. So this is a little bit weird because it is the only time where like the actual result of the kick, granted that has to be missed, isn't contingent on an offense. So the one slight advantage goalkeepers have in the penalty kickshoot out.
Speaker 1: And that was the the element here. I think that people are sitting there and going it's like, well, he's off off his line that he had, he has infringed upon the play. Therefore it's got to be a rekick. But I would I would look at it this way for those who are are still trying to navigate the laws of the game. Think about it in an American football sense, where you have a play, it's a long completion and the defender of the cornerback or the safety still commits pass interference. True, you have the opportunity to either take the play or take the penalty or and you know, take the fifteen yards or something like that. So you have the option of the play and the completion or the penalty in and of itself. You're gonna take the You're gonna take the completion because it was longer than what the penalty would be a you know, fifteen yard spotfoul or whatever. So you're in those kinds of in those kinds of navigations. Think of it almost like in an American football sense, where yeah, you can take either the play or the penalty, whichever is longer, and you're gonna take You're gonna take the you're gonna take the completion as opposed to the penalty. Something like that. Yes, it's similar.
Speaker 3: It's just it is weird, I understand, because it's the one time where an offence doesn't really impact whether we take the kick or not, because well, the kicker missed and John I think you know, Jarrett talked about this yesterday.
Speaker 2: Kickers, if you're missing a penalty kick.
Speaker 3: With all the stipulations a goalkeeper have and all the allowances you have the ability to start and stop the stutter stuff, the all the run ups you can do, and the goalkeeper not being able to truly as much as I mean, I'll talk about Patrick Schulte in a little bit, but both did a job and the penalty kick shootout. But even if you read and guess and react the right way, you still got to rely on a terrible penalty kick from the other team to save it. And so I'm sure Greg Garza could talk about this of coaching up kids to take a penalty kick. But kids, I gotta tell you, put the ball into the corner. I mean, you're gonna make it.
Speaker 2: Give us some pay.
Speaker 3: Put it, you know, mid height, put it into the corner. Personally, I always aimed for, uh literally the side netting because from twelve yards out you can kind of see that pretty well. And about shoulder height is probably good for you and you're you're probably going to score ninety eight percent of the time.
Speaker 1: Yep. By the way, I not knowing what our power situation was going to be, I gave the our friends from Beyond Goals the week off so you and I can rock and roll for a while here, okay. Uh So, And to your point about penalty kicks, I think that this is also something in the laws of the game that probably should continue to be looked at addressed because of the public queue and cry over the whole thing about starts and stops. Now, I agree, John, walk you through, walk me through laws of the game, because people sit there and and I know this will play well for radio. But you've got you've got folks that want to sit there and they want to get a their their quick little start that they want to they want to do their thing, and then they want to they'll run up and then they'll stop, and it almost looks like they're gonna come to a full stop, and then they keep going and then it's like starts and stops and it's almost like learning. How like when we're fifteen and our and our and our parent takes us to the empty parking lot to try to learn how to drive a clutch for the first time, and it's like, you know, you just you know, the engine stalls. Those kinds of things. The breakdown of starting stopping. If you are the player taking the penalty kick, what constitutes movement, what doesn't constitute movement, what's good, what's bad? What's allowed? Walk me through that side. Since we've gone in between the sticks, let's go to the spot. Walk me through that in the laws of the game, even though we know they should be checked.
Speaker 3: Well, And this is the issue, is there's not a whole lot in the current laws of the game about what a kicker can or can't do, you know, looking we Law fourteen again. The penalty kick, the procedure. Really, we have a couple of things that we have to do before the penalty kick has taken. We have to make sure the ball is stationary with part of the ball touching or overhanging the center of the penalty mark, and the goal post, crossbar and goal neet not be moving. Okay, that's pretty standard, but that does also again affect the goalkeeper. Right, A lot of times you've seen goalkeepers hit the crossbar, the that all that kind of stuff. So you know, there's that The player taking the penalty kick must be clearly identified.
Speaker 2: We haven't really ever had that issue truly, but that.
Speaker 3: Is another one that we do have to be like, yeah, you know number taking the penalty kick, and that means that number seven can't then run up and.
Speaker 2: Take the penalty kick. The players taking the penalty kick must kick the ball forward.
Speaker 1: I've never known a I've never known a penalty kicker to kicks.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's it, John, That's that is the the end all be all of that. There's some more like the player must take the ball back. Healing is allowed as long as it goes forward. The kicker must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player. So literally, that's that's it, which is which is the problem, right because in past iterations of the laws of the game, we did have the idea that it needs to be uh I forget the exact wording, but basically a continuous run up you know us, once they start their kick that must complete it.
Speaker 2: Basically, that's kind of the issue is that.
Speaker 3: The the stipulations on kickers has been stripped away while we've added way more stipulations on the goalkeeper. Now, the theory for that in normal play makes sense if you think about it. Right in regulation time, in the ninety minutes that you might be playing. The penalty kick is a penalty for a direct kick foul inside the penalty area. Correct, That is the point of a penalty kicks will stimulate to that It is supposed to be punishment for the offending team committing a foul, a direct kick foul inside the penalty area. So the fact that you have advantages giving to the attacking team who were fouled inside the penalty area makes a whole lot of sense, right. I think that's that is understood to be the reason behind strict the boundaries on what the goalkeeper can do, and not as strict for what the.
Speaker 2: Kicker can do.
Speaker 3: Now, we do have a lot of strict boundaries on the players not involved. Obviously they have to be outside the penalty area, behind the ball and behind the penalty arc, and we are very strict on don't come into the box.
Speaker 2: I think we should just make it electrified.
Speaker 1: Speaking of that, what is it that they have for dogs, the electric fence.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, do something like that. But other than that, the kickers don't have a whole lot of stipulations on them, on requirements on them other than kick the ball forward. And that is because in normal time, a penalty kick is meant to be a literal penalty against the other team, right, it is supposed to be punishment. Now, the problem I think we all have with this, John is that when we get into tournament settings and we have kicks from the mark, it does give the kicker a grossly unfair advantage in what shouldn't be such an imbalance of it of advantages.
Speaker 1: Just you basically is what we're staring at, uh you. And so obviously, since we are we are solution makers here on the show, we believe in it. We believe in fixing things. We fixed. We fixed, We fixed Open Cup yesterday, We have fixed the All Star Game in years past. And so let's fix Let's fix the wording in the laws of the game when it comes to activity for keepers and penalty kick takers. Let's let's let's fix the l OTG. How how would you address that particular topic.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's just a really I think you could go back a little bit and add the stipulation that they must make a continuous run up to the ball, right, whatever that wording ends up being, but just indicate that once the motion to take the penalty kick has started, right, you have to keep it now. I I do think that could also be interpreted to mean once you get your up to the ball, you can't stop and start. So that might rule out Joseph Martinez his favorite trick, yeah, the hop and the hot. But I think that could be the easiest solution, and I don't think that takes away that much of an advantage from the kicker, to be quite honest, I'm sorry if you can't run up the ball, strike it and put it in the corner of the net, or put it in the net from twelve yards out with a goalkeeper who can't move until you kick it. I mean, what's your problem. Yeah, that's a U problem, not a goalkeeper problem, right, you know so I do think that could be an easy solution, John, And we did have that in prior, like it was there when I first started referering.
Speaker 2: But that was several years ago.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah that was last Tuesday yet two decades Yeah, last Tuesday, Patrick schulte You wanted to discuss Patrick Schultz, I do.
Speaker 2: Before we move on to the Open Cup final.
Speaker 3: Patrick schulte Man has been in He's been the starter for Columbus since two thousand and two.
Speaker 2: Not the full time, I don't think.
Speaker 1: But he started starting I don't think he might.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 3: It was Alive two two in twenty twenty two, and since then he's been in an MLS Cup final, a US Open Cup final, a League's Cup final, and a Conka CAF Champions Cup final. It's a lot of finals for a kid who's twenty three. Actually he might be twenty four now sure, I think he may have turned twenty. He's young and basically he's still young.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: There is a lot of hand ringing from you know, Twitter bots. I'll maybe, I don't know if they're bots, they'd act like it about why Gaga Sloanine is not playing in the Olympics. Why is he not playing? Goga is the best keeper we've ever seen since Tim Howard. Wait what I like Gaga. I think he's a fine goalkeeper. He had great days in MLS.
Speaker 1: And Gaga was great in the Stars Born. I mean, I'll give you credit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she was.
Speaker 3: But I think there's just something to be said about a goalkeeper who has literally been there and done that at twenty four years old, right, four times been in cup finals and not just like you know, gummy Bear Cup final, which still counts true.
Speaker 2: Thanks Bropes. I couldn't remember if he was.
Speaker 3: I know he was one of the older ones in the twenty three, but thank you for the older ones.
Speaker 2: I mean, right, but that's weird.
Speaker 3: But anyway, Patrick Shulty very well, maybe, And it's way early to talk about this for real, for real, As anyone will tell you, goalkeepers do develop late. But at twenty three we can start looking at him as the potential next guy for the US MINS national team. I think it's fair to do that we saw him start and play a full game under the substitute teacher earlier this month. You know, we're still in September, still my birthday month.
Speaker 2: There you go, and I think we I think when.
Speaker 3: You're evaluating goalkeepers, a lot of people just look at shot stopping, and so when you evaluate the Gaga Sloanino tape.
Speaker 2: While in Chicago, he got a lot of practice shot stopping.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you're aware of this, John, but Chicago Fire are tara bad as a club.
Speaker 1: As a team, Yeah, I could see that. Yeah, And so he.
Speaker 3: Got a lot of shot stopping practice. So he's making a lot of whiles. I mean, Chris Brady's going through that right now, bless his little heart.
Speaker 1: I have to remember that.
Speaker 3: Patrick Schilty doesn't get those opportunities because he's playing for I don't know, John, you might you you could probably corroborate this maybe the best team in the league. I would yea outside of the one with the greatest player in the world.
Speaker 1: Counselor I will stipulate that they are the greatest team in the league.
Speaker 3: I would I would argue that they are still the best team even without the best player in the world.
Speaker 2: I think that just matters. I really do.
Speaker 3: He's getting great experience, he's playing real soccer, which I think does matter.
Speaker 1: He is not real soccer.
Speaker 2: Name a time Chicago has played real soccer in the past three.
Speaker 1: I was just, I was just, I wasn't I wasn't linking and Joe Man, Well, and here's the other problem is talk about real soccer.
Speaker 3: I mean, Gaga's down in League One. They don't they play kickball there, Let's be let's be real honest.
Speaker 2: Sorry it's but Shulty has had interest from European teams.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't surprise me to see him get a move either this offseason or next summer as a twenty four year old who can go to a mid size you know club, or an upper tier club and one of the you know, baby Bundesliga or or legal or higher than Barnes's, right, higher than Barnsley, higher than maybe even you know, where is horrorvat Cardiff?
Speaker 2: You know, And if he can make that move, even if it's too I don't know, say.
Speaker 3: Marseille Leon one of those types of clubs, right, maybe it's a Strausburg, you know, one of those types of clubs that's a really good move for the kid at twenty four, and he doesn't have to start right, but hopefully he can start playing soon.
Speaker 2: Obviously, as we've seen with men's national team.
Speaker 3: Goalkeepers, they go over to Europe, they don't play, they don't start, then their form drops off. So you don't want that if you're Shoulty. But he is at the point now where I think we can safely put him into the group of three goalkeepers. I won't tell you where he ranks in that and who the other two are, but I think he's in the three that you need to start calling in forever camp because now that we're looking toward twenty twenty six, you do need to start building. The thing is is and I know you know, we have a new coach. He'll start in fifteen days really coaching. Actually probably about ten days when you count like when they actually come to camp. But fifteen days he has his first his first game. We don't have a whole lot of time, so he's going to have to start coalescing his group quickly. And the one group that you just don't need to play a whole lot with the goalkeepers, right, and if Shilty's your third goalkeeper and maybe even your backup for twenty twenty six. That's a good investment in the future. And that's kind of the other part here is I think he's earned it, but he's he has earned your investment, right, But it's also smart to pick the goalkeeper that you're investing. And he was the starter on the Olympics, he got the start in earlier this month.
Speaker 2: It wasn't the problem in that game, I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 3: That's not his fault that no one else on the field wanted to play a game against Canada that day. But it seems like and it also seems like John and again you can pack me up on this, he might be playing it in a fifth final pretty soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I could counsel or I could that.
Speaker 3: He's at least I think it's safe to say he's at least playing in an Eastern Conference final. Yeah, And what when does that happen? Seven months from now, two months from now?
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what the MLS schedule is. Okay, So now your second, now that we've we dipped into the soccer for us po D part of the program for our intermission, Now that we've melessa Jason, it's good to talk. Well, no, it's like I said, I mean, hey, it's it's soccer for us po D. We used that as intermission. We went out to the lobby. We got ourselves attreat. Now we're back for the second half of the movie. Involving U, involving open cup. What was the moment that you wanted to attack there.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the moment that opened the scoring.
Speaker 3: Like I said, Bogus gets the ball played into him from behind. Now Olivia de ru is clearly in an offside position when this attacking play starts, right, there's I think there's a turnover in midfield. I forget who exactly gets that they passed to Bogush. Olivier Geroux is offside. That does not matter. Again, it is not an offense in itself to be in an offside position. To quote the very first sentence of law eleven. Okay, I think we can all agree that his positioning of being super far offside did not impact the defenders as they were all trying to hold their line with Bogush, not at all with Jeru. That said, and we got a var review, And this is what I want to talk about, John, is that review the video angles to me did not convince me he was on side. And I will say, to me it looked like he probably was a foot maybe a foot and.
Speaker 2: A half off side.
Speaker 3: Whoever does the I forget who does the lines on the field, which are not the best way to do it on a TV screen than applying it to Twitter. But judicated him to be judged him to be about a foot off side, digitally adjudicated, yes, digitally remastered digitally. The thing here is, though, John, what was the call in the field?
Speaker 2: Goal?
Speaker 1: And got them?
Speaker 3: When you see, I know when you see when you have the call in the field be a goal, you have to have clear and obvious evidence that there's not a goal, correct, And in this particular incident incidents, you do not have that. And and this is why this is, this is what I want to talk about, because also I think Drew may have been offside when he actually scored the goal.
Speaker 2: I thought he was ahead of the ball, But that was a whole other thing.
Speaker 3: What in MLS we do not use the line drawing technology that they use in the Premier League, and that that has caused in the Premier League, John, I don't know if you have heard, but fans don't love that for some reason.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is true.
Speaker 3: That but in the case of this goal, however, yeah, yeah, However, in the case of this goal, I think it's fair to say it would have been called off side, and it would have been a lot closer than the hairline or toenail that they joke about over on the island across the pond. I think it's worth considering with MLS using some of the automated off side technology. I don't know necessarily if that would have worked in this scenario because it is close. But a foot is a decent amount of space to be offside.
Speaker 2: You know right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, asking the Atlanta this morning.
Speaker 2: A foot of water is a lot of water.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is true.
Speaker 3: And I just had an issue with this because it looked offside and the lines are even on the field right because of the way they mowed the grass crops to the LAFC grounds crew, the grounds crew, but you could see it just looked like he was closer to the the next line cut in the grass ban the defender who you know, there was one that wasn't quite with the rest of the line, but it just looked offside. And I guess my point here is I really would like MLS to explore automated offside because again I don't know if it would necessarily fix this right or have overturned it or even upheld it right.
Speaker 2: But I don't like the.
Speaker 3: Line drawing because it just takes time well well, and you also have to have an individual who construct the lines. You have to have the construction, you have to time it perfectly right, you have to say yes at this moment the ball. There's a lot that goes into it that makes it not an exact science, but it just I'm sorry it looked like Bogus was offside. I don't think that would have inherently changed the outcome of the match. I think LAFC probably goes on and wins this anyway. But at that point in time, it's still nil nil, you know, and Sporting Kansas City's goal was, you know, an honest goal was scored and right and open play, So you know, I just I wonder John, it's more of a discussion question of I think we all agree we don't like the lines for a lot of their margins for error not being great, but this felt like an opportunity to use some better technology than just a camera from a not straight on angle, you know, to make this call and help the referees out on the field.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm writing this down as a roundtable discussion at a particular.
Speaker 3: It is definitely is an off season discussion, but it's one that I just want to raise because we see this consternation, this backlash, gnashing of teeth and gnashing of teeth, ringing of hands.
Speaker 2: In England and.
Speaker 3: Around the world for those who watched the English game when we draw lines and people seem to hate that, and and.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: The problem is offside is and you're either offside or you're not. There's no it might be a foul, it might not. You know, this isn't a judgment call. It's a factual position on the field.
Speaker 1: The same with ball in and out of play.
Speaker 2: You is or you ain't.
Speaker 3: And so we want to be as precise as possible, but we also have to understand that technology cannot be as precise if as we would like it to be. Similar to you know, I don't know a certain event that happened last summer where a ball was judged to have crossed a goal line despite you know, if not actually crossing it, and you cannot convince.
Speaker 2: Me or the goalkeeper who saved it that it crossed.
Speaker 3: The line, and it shows I don't know, maybe a millimeter. I don't know what the margin of error is for that, but I gotta imagine it's within a millimeter, is within that margin of error. But we have to find I think, in m a less a better way to be a little bit more exact, or maybe just find a way to use technology to get a better look at the actual off sidelines so we're not looking at it from an angle that is not straight down the line. And I think Bam brings up maybe one idea came or the tracks. I don't know if that's possible, but you know, I just think there's a better way to do it.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, in track and field, even though it is one direction, when they decided finally in competitions to install a west cam on rail for track and field coverage, you got to see the lead, you get to see the lead runners and all of that discussion at ground level when they decided to finally bring in a west cam and put it on a rail. So maybe it has something to do with the chips in you know, like you have chips and numbers and road races. Maybe you've got a chip in the ID plate for the sprinters and you have that west Cam follow along and do it the same kind of a way. So Bam might be onto something there, I am.
Speaker 3: I guess what concerns me is MOLSA has been reluctant to even use the goal line technology, which seems like that and itself.
Speaker 2: I know it's expensive, I get it. Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: It sponsored, it was sponsored in a previous man, let's be real, honest. The MLS owners collectively, I can afford it compared to what the Premier league owners have. And I know we can talk about Saudi Arabian, Qatar and all these other countries.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know. I don't know about the Minnesota owner.
Speaker 3: Well, and we well we know that a certain ownership group in Northern California sure as hell won't pay for it.
Speaker 1: Oh brother, I see all right? So sidebar uh, I was I was this close. I couldn't find my cell T shirt this morning, I couldn't find my sell T shirt, but I was this close to wearing the other T shirt that I have associated with that gentleman's particular baseball team. A shout out to our friends at Last Divebar who have done tremendous gear work when it comes to the Oakland Athletics in the situation that the that the fans are going through right now. The T shirt in and of itself has uh the initials of the owner. There there are three. There are three letters on the front of the T shirt that I have that is not my cell T shirt. There are three initials on the front of the T shirt. The last two are the initials of the owner JF. That's that's number two.
Speaker 2: The other one also the initial of his last name.
Speaker 1: Correct, that is number one. And I have that T shirt, but I didn't know how appropriate it would be to wear that on the air, you know, John.
Speaker 3: I think this is actually a good discussion point because for soccer, sure, because he owns a soccer team, yes he does, you know, in the highest level in this country. And I think the question just I have for this man is why do you own sports teams when you don't seem to care about sports team.
Speaker 1: That they're at their line items that's on.
Speaker 3: A balance, and that's kind of The issue I have is, you know, I think for the most part, I think you can say the majority of MLS owners, while some of them may not want to spend money, are.
Speaker 2: Not apathetic to their product.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense, Yeah, no, it does. It's like there's there's even in Dallas.
Speaker 3: I think people want to be successful, they just don't want to put a lot of money into the well.
Speaker 1: And you could have said you you could have said the same about Kronky Sports and Entertainment with what they were doing in Colorado.
Speaker 2: Colorado exists. But as I drink from my arsenal.
Speaker 1: But but this past offseason, you bring in Chris Armis, you spend money, you bring in players like Georgie Mihailovich. I mean, you're not spending an ish ton of money by comparison, so.
Speaker 3: You don't have to an MLS. I think that's why most owners like MLS.
Speaker 2: As you do.
Speaker 3: Columbus, Yeah, Columbia, even even Cincinnati. I mean I know there's spend a lot on top end players, but they don't have the same type of budget that Miami l a Atlanti even does.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, that's that's why I mean, Look, I.
Speaker 3: Think the the way to win an MLS is you spend good smart money on your DPS and the rest of your roster is guys who just help carry they Well.
Speaker 1: It's it's a combination of those players that fit roles plus a developed academy footprint, right which.
Speaker 3: By the way, I need to shout out the Atlanta United Academy. I think a lot of people complain about it because they don't understand how academies work, and they think that every year we're supposed to have five new starters on the first team from the academy.
Speaker 2: But the academy guys have played pretty well this year.
Speaker 3: You know, I think the issues that we've seen with this team are not from the academy kids.
Speaker 2: We'll just that way, you know.
Speaker 3: I think we'd like we would like Jay Fortune to be more consistent. But if that's your biggest complaint for a guy who wasn't supposed to be getting this many minutes.
Speaker 1: And Jay has grown into the role that he yeah.
Speaker 2: He's done, he's done much better and he.
Speaker 1: Has taken minutes away from others and writing yeah, yeah, I know, yeah, I knew exactly where you're going with that. Uh you okay, yet now you get the all right, with the just checking.
Speaker 3: No I to wrap it all up, I just I really would like MLS to invest a little bit more technology to support the referees, because I, despite what people think, I think we have some pretty decent referees in MLS, really evidenced by the most part, some of them getting a lot.
Speaker 2: Of attentions from FIFA.
Speaker 3: Look, we have some good ones, right, and I think in the Open Cup we had a well refereed game. I think that one offside decision is an example of even really good referees are going to miss calls because these players are really fast. The ball is moving in uncoordinated ways in a lot of times, you know, and there's there's just because it's so open and fluid, referees cannot be always seeing everything that comes in their purview, and that there are ways to just help with a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of technology.
Speaker 3: I think some automated or semi automated I guess offside technology would help. I think golden line technology would help, you know.
Speaker 1: And so I would just like.
Speaker 3: To see some money injected into that because I don't think it would be that much money.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've got Oak State in West Virginia. This weekend.
Speaker 2: What is up with the Arsenal we play?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Who do we play this weekend?
Speaker 1: See? For him, it's first things first, this is how this is how it is with Bart. It's first. Okay, so that's another.
Speaker 3: Well, first things first, John, shout out to the Arsenal women getting a four nail went over Hacken yesterday and now into the Women's Champions League group stage we have Jubentis Byron Munich and club from Norway.
Speaker 2: So I feel pretty confident about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see that definitely without question. Thank you for as always reaching out and waving the waving the flags. Sit there, it's like, dude, there's we need to update this and it can't sit so uh bring everything forward with reffing down here and all the M and T stuff. It's always great when you when you sit there and go, hey, bruh, I'm.
Speaker 2: Glad you let me jump in it.
Speaker 3: Just we're things that bothered me a little bit, just because you know, I think people father Bart for five, the goalkeeper off their line thing is just like, man, what do you want these goalkeepers to do?
Speaker 2: Like stand there and just hope the ball hits them?
Speaker 1: Yes? Absolutely, I mean stand still, stand still and hope that they go paninka, especially.
Speaker 2: Especially in a penalty case in the.
Speaker 1: PKHU that situation. We will catch up with you Monday with more reffing down here from the weekend, because I know that that will exist and if there's anything else going on, I know that we have some of the the other M and T s that are putting out schedules and things like that. The extended extended national teams I think put out their schedule for their games coming up here in recent in.
Speaker 2: Regons and play. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just don't get caught attempting to fix fuotsal in world tournaments and things like that, because.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think I should.
Speaker 3: I could fix footsal by convincing the IOC to have it as part of the Olympics.
Speaker 2: But I don't think I'm going to fix games in foot salt.
Speaker 1: That's yeah. Yeah, the French national team is not being looked at quite time for their recent actions and footsal. Go enjoy your coffee, Go enjoy your weekend. Take the over should be a full weekend. The Oak State West Virginia game might be over by the time a play on Sunday.
Speaker 2: What is the over? Let's let me look at that.
Speaker 1: Two and a half.
Speaker 2: Well, but not with our offense. Good Lord Neil Brown loves to sixty five and a half? What is it?
Speaker 1: Come on, now, we'll see who gets there first.
Speaker 2: I know, right, I should get there. Oh there we go? Uh?
Speaker 1: All this move?
Speaker 2: Got? Uh? Can I get the betting lines? Because I don't bet? That's probably why?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well, I mean and if you're going to pay attention to me, then you certainly don't want to do it. Oaks. Sorry, Oaks State's got Kansas State. They're in Manhattan.
Speaker 2: That's right. No, no, no, we've got who do we have this week?
Speaker 1: Do you have the buye? Do you have a bye week?
Speaker 2: My calendar is all messed up?
Speaker 1: Oh we do.
Speaker 2: We have the bye week? Oklahoma States next weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, So all right, so Oaks State's at Kansas State. So you get to buy and you get to uh, you get to make sure you're rare and and ready to go for.
Speaker 3: At n A Philly because there's not another football game going on at seven thirty tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 1: Uh no, well there yeah, John?
Speaker 3: My theory yeah freaking kind of shifted eastward. It kind of went a little bit more toward Athens.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: The devil aka Nick Saban pulled one more over on Kirby smart to get something on him, So.
Speaker 2: Shoot, start that controversy.
Speaker 1: If he had done that, then it would have been today. It would have been the heaviest overnight and Kirby I'm sure probably headed west. Anyway, they probably spent the night in Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad and brothers are heading to the game. And I joked with the.
Speaker 1: Night in in Elyn at a at a hotel, or they were in Ranburn and the Ranburn hanging out.
Speaker 3: At And I'll tell you, John, I will say this to your your lovely bride Auburn. The city blows the doors off Tuscaloosa question.
Speaker 1: I will say that, So, oh blow it before you go. Uh did you know that that SDH was up for an award?
Speaker 2: I think I heard about this. Yeah, SDH is up for an award, John, Yeah, and other vote Well right here Footballcontent Awards dot Com backslash voting, and we're trying to turn this into Cook County politics.
Speaker 1: Very very chicagoy. So find different IP addresses logging go to Footballcontentawards dot Com.
Speaker 2: Multiple browsers on the laptop.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and so get on your phone, go on the regular eyebrowser going the end. Yeah, hey, look, vote early, vote often, the Chicago way exactly.
Speaker 1: You have until dinnertime local time October thirteenth, because Bart with the Soccer for Us pod being a part of the network and all that kind of stuff. Go to Football Content Awards dot Com backslash voting, vote early, vote often. Because we're in up against nine heavyweights, one of these things is not like the other. And as I keep saying, grab your sling shot and your stone people, that's what this is all about. Fifty vote is the popular vote, and this is legitimately and this is what I'm thinking here. The fans of the other nine will probably cancel each other out to a certain degree because they're all going to be voting for themselves and those numbers will be the same. This is our way to come up from lane eight and crash the party and let everybody know what's going on. The fact that we are one of three in the United States that were nominated for the Broadcaster rights Holder category ten in the overall seven overseas what used to be BT Sport, sky Talk, Sport, Dezone, ITV, something called ESPNFC I mean GLOSSO Network and US. I mean, hey, look it is amazing and humbling and all this kind of stuff that all the stuff that we do with all of our hosts and all of our programs. Here at the SDH network Football Content Awards dot Com backslash voting vote until October thirteenth. Of the vote is there, Yes.
Speaker 2: Sir, I will plug soccer for US as well, because.
Speaker 1: As you should.
Speaker 3: We recorded an episode on Wednesday, and then halfway through apparently I'm recording because I don't know if you know this, John, but stream Marier does have a limit on how much you can actually hold in storage. Yeah, that twenty minutes into the episode. So we had a great one we're talking about. I don't know if John, if you saw this, but we have some venues for next summer that selected, and we had some a venue selected for Nations League, and we thought it was a good time to discuss why the hell the US men's national team doesn't play around the country and kind of broke down the data behind where you know, the both the myth and the reality of well, they only play in a handful of locations and kind of ranted about that. So that'll become we're going to re record and hopefully come out next week. And then after that we've got Pachettino's first roster. And if you listen to that podcast, you will also hear a plog to vote for the football content wards dot com slash voting.
Speaker 2: We're talking here.
Speaker 1: See see you know Bart's a part of the network. He knows how this is. It's like any kind of any program, any any program attached to the network where you can have an opportunity to tell folks to vote. Literally, this is what we're here for. Uh, go go enjoy your college your your college football where nothing's going on. So whenever Arsenal's playing Lester, you can enjoy that. Go back, take your nap, enjoy things, and we'll be back with you ten o'clock on Monday morning.
Speaker 2: Be safe, my friend, y'all be safe. Hope everyone stays dry.
Speaker 3: Hopefully everyone stays power Ether comes back sooner, stays on.
Speaker 2: Abby, enjoy your tub full of water.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're going to get into that discussion with with Abby and learning folks. Enjoy your enjoy your cafe. We'll see you soon.