Speaker 1: Pod Save America's brought you by simply Safe. Summer travel season is officially here, which means it's time to pack your bags, double check your itinerary, and panic about whether you remember to lock up the house before you left. Or if you're like us, you can arm your simply Safe system and head out completely stress free. I've set up a simply Safe, incredibly easy to do. I customize it to my house and it came in the mail. I set it up, customer support great, app great, highly recommend it. But simply Safe. You can customize your system to fit your needs. They ship fast directly to your door. The app guide that's set up is simple and there's no drilling required, so you can install and arm your system in under one hour, then get back to the drilling.
Speaker 2: I'm all right, Tommy.
Speaker 1: Simply Safe is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras in twenty our seven professional monitoring so you can feel safe and secure this summer and beyond. Over five million people value and trust simply Safe with their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system, and you sign up for professional monitoring and your first month is free. Just visit simplysafe dot com slash cirkd. That's half off at simplysafe dot com slash cirkd. There's no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Pod Save America. I'm John Favreau and I'm Alex Wagner in studio in La.
Speaker 3: I came to cast my ballot just kidding. I'm here.
Speaker 2: We'll still take it, still be encounted. How many do you want to drop off?
Speaker 3: Several? All for Heidi Montag just.
Speaker 2: Trying to get on the five. Uh, it's good to see it.
Speaker 3: It's great to be here. I'm I'm always so thrilled to be in person.
Speaker 2: I hear that we're doing this two weeks in a row because mister Pfiffer is out. Oh my next Thursday as well. Wow, I know.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad that you're in control of the calendar. I had no idea.
Speaker 2: I just found that out yesterday.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry everyone who wants Stan Pfeiffer on the show, which is probably most people, but sometimes Dan has to Dan.
Speaker 2: It's rare that Dan takes a break from anything.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I don't think he's contractually allowed to.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that is true.
Speaker 3: That is working in a goologs.
Speaker 2: Well, we're very happy to have you, and on today's show, we have lots to talk about whether the Insurrectionist slush fund is really dead and why Republicans just refuse to kill it for good when they had the chance. We're also going to talk about Todd Blanche's promotion to Attorney General, Congratulations Bill Pulti's promotion to America's spy chief, the latest results from Tuesday's primaries in Iowa and California, yet more Grand Platner news, the melt down at sixty minutes, and finally, for the first time ever, I will reveal a secret I've been keeping and tell the story of how I was invited, actually invited to the White House UFC FID.
Speaker 3: Oh what a deep tease the industry, that.
Speaker 2: Is de tease. It's happening before we start. If you want to find out the real story, you'll have to subscribe. Not just kidding, but you should subscribe. If you haven't subscribed already, what are you doing to crookeet? You could become a friend of the pod cricket dot com slash friends You get ad free episodes of all your favorite pods.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's really nothing better than.
Speaker 2: That, Isn't it nice to listen to this and all your other cricket pods as.
Speaker 3: Oh, we love our advertisers.
Speaker 2: We of course we love our advertisers. But some people like the advertisers. Some people just.
Speaker 3: Want did you want to get right to the meet?
Speaker 2: And you know what, if you do like ads, there's a lot of other benefits too. There's subscriber only shows like Polar Coaster with Dan Pfeiffer.
Speaker 3: That's a must listen, our special.
Speaker 2: Extra secret episode of Podsave America called Potza America only friends.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, and it is really an inside scoop.
Speaker 2: Scoop and lots of substack newsletters these days. And you get to support an independent, proudly pro democracy media company that Barry Weis can't.
Speaker 3: Murder and Scott Pelly soon to join the roster right.
Speaker 2: That's right, That's right.
Speaker 3: It's called one hundred and fifty three minutes.
Speaker 2: That's the name of this podcast. That is quite long. Criocket dot com slash friends. Check it out, all right, Alex. The Republican Congress has been hard at work this week. Trying to shovel another seventy billion dollars of our money to Donald Trump so that Ice can keep rounding up immigrants and locking them away in barbaric detention camps. Trump wants even more, of course, billion dollars for his ballroom and one point eight billion dollars for a slush fund he could use to make cash payments to convicted criminals who stormed the Capitol on January sixth. Republicans denied him the ballroom money in this bill, but they did on Thursday block a Democratic amendment that would have killed the J six slush fund. Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said this week that they wouldn't be moving forward with the slush fund, but when Trump was asked about that, he gave an answer that surprised absolutely no one. I love it. I think it's so important. On Thursday, he did a clean Coal event in the Oval Office where we all thought he'd elaborate on the future of the slush fund, but instead he dozed off several times in between his home renovation updates, which today included an announcement of yet another brand new construction proce. Let's listen, this is now open.
Speaker 4: You see the size of that compared to some of the biggest buildings in the country, actually the biggest hyppeter. And we haven't finished. The water is pouring in as we speak. This is from just a little while ago, nice clean water. The Lincoln Memorial. The front was supposed to be the back. The back was supposed to be the front. It never got built because they built two roadways behind it after it was built, and it shut off the gateway to the water that was who were going to be the main entry And we're going to be doing that. We're gonnas called the promenade the promenade. They want to call it the Trump Promenade, but I don't know if I want to do that.
Speaker 2: What the fuck is happening?
Speaker 3: It's we really need to talk about how unwell this man is. Yeah, first of all, was there a penis also on that that? Like that chart of big things that Trump's obsessed with.
Speaker 2: I don't know, this is I don't we should. This is not super important, but this is the second day now he has led off an event in the Oval by holding up a chart to show that the reflecting pool is bigger than most buildings. Yes, but like it's not even something that he can brag about, like he did it. He didn't lengthen. The reflecting pool.
Speaker 3: Was built in nineteen twenty, right, he just put.
Speaker 2: In, He just painted it and renovated it. But now he's obsessed constantly with like holding up a billboard of how it's big. What that what?
Speaker 3: It's a sort of I mean, it's it's legacy by way of phallic imagery. I think it's just an absession with size. It is, uh, it is inversely proportional to his rate, his approval ratings. Right, so as he sinks in the polls, he needs to erect or claim the erection. I'm sorry I keep saying these sort of penal the vocabulary, but it is all I mean, it's all intermingled, and it's the only way he believes he'll have a legacy is brick and mortar. And even if it's not his own brick and mortar, I mean he's destroyed. He is destroying the country, He's lost the faith of maybe his even his own party in Congress or is losing it. He has a colossal a blood letting ahead of him in November, which is going to leave him even more castrated. And so what's his recourse, I guess reflecting his promenades. Yeah, big penis cool.
Speaker 2: And now we're doing a promenade around the Lincoln Memorials.
Speaker 3: I mean, are we there?
Speaker 2: Are we going to get the like are we going to get those mar Lago yellow umbrellas like we have in the what used to be the Rose Garden rip?
Speaker 3: I I don't know that any of this is going to come to pass. I mean truly. First of all, he's over budget and and uh over over time on all the projects that are already underway. The Republicans in Congress have gotten very fatigued of I think that the ego and the vanity projects, and I you know, they're not giving him a billion for the ballroom. I just I think that this is all, first of all, a distraction what's really happening, And we should talk about what's unfolding in Congress right now. But like, I don't know how fast can you build a promenade. The thing they're doing in the reflecting pool isn't even fixing the leaks. It's going to be covered in mold in like a year or a couple months.
Speaker 2: And the arch don't forget about the Arch.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know. I just hope all of them become intake processing centers for newly arrived migrants, Like that's just the only good. Drain the pool and let make it, you know, put bedding down, let people sleep there, like, just make it something useful for this increasingly poor and destitute country that he's running into the ground.
Speaker 2: I absolutely loved the John os off line from over the weekend about all this, where he said, yeah, he's building all these monuments to himself because after he's gone, no one else will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is absolutely devastating. That is an as off has been so good on reinforcing the narrative that this is all the kind of Louis the fourteenth style corruption and self.
Speaker 2: For Sciono Potomac exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, it is it's lest Samois that means the state. It's me Spanish, non French.
Speaker 2: Thank you for thank you for moving that one forward.
Speaker 3: It's a disaster of epic proportions in terms of one man's ego. But I am skeptical that it actually comes to fruition the Trump prom not at least, let's hope.
Speaker 2: So what did you make of the dead or alive drama around the slush fund and the Republicans refusal slash failure to kill it for good because some tried today, yeah, to not get their caucus on board. Some tried to save their own.
Speaker 3: Asses, some not all. I think Number one, it is important that there be specific written language passed by Congress that outlaws the slush fund. It is quite clear to me, especially based on Trump's suggestion that he loves not explicit declaration that he loves the fund, Todd Blanche will do anything Donald Trump wants. If Todd Blanche says on Monday the slush fund is gone, and Trump says on Tuesday, I love it, that means by Wednesday the slush fund could be up and running. It is imperative that the legislative branch shut this thing down, right, So I think the movement to attach an amendment to this reconciliation bill that's being voted on right now is essential. What is the point of Bill Cassidy. Bill Cassidy is a senator in his He's the Republican who upon which this like the future of this slush fund, in large part hinges right. He was the holdout today. He delayed, delayed, delayed, people thought, oh my god, he's going to kill this thing, and then decided at the last minute, after three hours of deliberation, you know what, I need this to be a Republican effort and not a Democratic effort. Bill Cassidy gave the country a raccoon testicle obsessed Health and Human Services director who is vac an, anti vaxer, Robert F. Kennedy Junior. He a doctor. Bill Cassidy gave us a lunatic at HHS. He was the pivotal vote. This was the one chance Bill Cassidy had to redeem his reputation, his stature as a statesman, And like, what did he do with it? What's the point of mounting resistance for three hours and then saying on partisan grounds, I can't I can't accept this amendment. I need Republicans to author it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, just to catch people up on what happened here, Democrats offered an amendment to say it's nice that Todd Blanche said that this we're not moving forward with the fund, but we're going to kill it statutory. They're going to put it in a lot to make sure that it's gone for good. And Schumer offered the amendment and they got Collins, and they got Dan Sullivan in Alaska, who's Mary Peltola is running.
Speaker 3: Against the chips falling where they may?
Speaker 2: And John Husted exactly anyway, he's the guy that Shared It. Brown's running against in Ohio who Fox News pole came out yesterday that shows him trailing Shared Brown by ad Shared's best pole. Awesome. But anyway, those three just coincidentally voted. Yeah, they voted to kill it as Republicans, but you're right, Cassidy and Tillis thought they would be cutesie and they decided not to vote for that amendment. They introduced their own, which was to say, you can't use the slush fund than the way that Trump wants to use it. It has to be used for the anti fraud initiative that Jade Vance is running, which is basically like, you know, robbing states of medicaid funding. If they find someone committing fraud somewhere, they just sort of collective punishment for the rest of the people who are on Medicaid. So they introduced that amendment, and obviously Democrats weren't going to support that because it's crazy and the anti fraud initiative is bullshit. So they got like I don't know seven eight nine Republicans on that one, but that one didn't pass either. So now we don't have no weight. Now we have no language, We have no language to kill the fund.
Speaker 3: And I say this, it's like fool me wants shame on you fully twice, shame on me only seventeen times. I should stop talking. And that's how I feel about Republicans in Congress. It's like I can't believe, I mean, even still fucking entertaining the idea that they'll do the right thing on this, that they'll actually deliver on something they say they're so against, which is a slush fund. But I stupidly hold out hope that Bill Cassidy will get something done, that Tom Tillis will find a backbone, and at Susan Collins, Susan Collins for whom there's a specific place, and you.
Speaker 2: Know what, like it doesn't count what Susan Collins and Sullivan did, because if it really counted and they really didn't want the fund, they could vote against the final bill. They could vote against the final bill.
Speaker 3: They're all on their way out. Tom Tillis and Bill Cassidy are out. It's a joke. It's a fucking joke. At the same time, it's really important that this get done, I know, because we cannot have a two billion dollar taxpayer slush fund given to insurrectionists like that is not so someone. I mean, I don't know, I don't know. So I'm outraged. I'm incensed by the existence of Bill Cassidy, and I you know, I look for redemption. I hope there is some for them.
Speaker 2: What's your level of concern that there hasn't been more drama around the ICE funding itself, which is sort of not even being talked about as much, partly because I think it was baked in that it was going to pass way back when you know, the government shutdown happened or the DHS shutdown happened. I know you covered ICE detention centers on Runaway Country this week. I interviewed Andy cam on Tuesday pod Senator from New Jersey about the horrific conditions at the detention center in Newark. I mean, this is one that has been like making me quietly sick every time I see more stories because it's like, I'm very aware that we finished the episode of Trump's America where there was the battle of Minneapolis, and then Christy Nome was fired, and then they pulled back and Stephen Miller was sort of like, you know, had to go back in his cave for a little bit. And so everyone moved on and thinks, Okay, now things are good and things are not good.
Speaker 3: No, there may be fewer expenditures on expensive horse rental under Mark Wayne Mullen, the new DHS secretary, but things are as dastardly as ever. Let's just I mean, just for people who have not paid attention to what's going on in terms of detentions. Caitlin Akerson, who we have on the show on Runaway Country this week, has been doing some essential reporting from on the ground. The idea of family separations still happening. By her estimate, I think two hundred thousand parents have been deported and separated from their children, some of whom have ended up in foster care, some of whom have ended up with other relatives or strangers. There's no tracking for that part, and they can't get their kids back. In many cases, they're in dangerous places where they have no home, They're facing threats of gang violence, their children are locked in the United States. It is a devastating situation. So there's that reality. And then when you talk about what's happening inside the detention centers, I mean there, I think fifty people have died in detention since Trump took office. The standard of care in these detention centers is appalling. You're talking about medical concerns like people needing to see doctors for routine small issues that when they aren't treated, become life threatening issues. The lawyer that we spoke to, Melissa Shepherd from Immigration Defenders, talked about someone who had a hangnail that was left untreated and couldn't see a nurse, couldn't see a doctor, and eventually was at risk of dying from sepsis because of this. Right, these are I mean, then you talk about just basic you know, basic, basic, basic, basic levels of care, including clean water. They're being given moldy food or not enough food or contaminated water. The latrines aren't being cleaned. Detaims are volunteering to clean up and create shifts because nobody else is cleaning the facilities.
Speaker 2: I mean, these are pregnant women and children. These are elderly people who need their medicine. John, these are.
Speaker 3: People that've been living in the United States for like twenty years. Yes, they used to go to cvs to get their prescriptions like this is, and that doesn't it doesn't make it easier, It doesn't make it better if they weren't those people. But they were integrated into American society, and even if they didn't have the paperwork, they were living like we are. And they have been shunted into a just dark and unimaginably depressing, devastating environment from which there seems like no escape. These private prisons, these private detention centers are being run by for profit companies like the Geo Group, from which the Trump administration is cherry picking executives and making them the new head device. Tom Holman was a consultant to the geogroup. Ag Bondi back in twenty nineteen, another consultant to the Geogroup. It's a revolving door where you know, the snake is eating its own tail and as a result, there are you know, Geogroup has made I think an eight hundred percent increase in profits between twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five. It's really lucrative business to cram a bunch of people with no legal representation into sub human conditions and charge the government a lot of money for it. And that's what's happening. And now we're about to dump another seventy two billion dollars in ice in CPP's.
Speaker 2: Lab And like, we've both interviewed people who've been caught up in this and people who probably like have more means and maybe they're like Canadians that got caught up in it, but right, and they will say, like, it's not even like they're just deporting people, right, Like that's what I think. People have this image of a Trump wants to de poor people and he wants to deport you know, the world the worst or maybe just undocumented immigrants. And obviously it's gone beyond that. But it's beyond just deportation, which in some cases would be more humane than what they are doing to people in these detention centers. Some people are like begging to be deported something.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, that's the point. I think. One of the things they're doing is making the life so abominable that people just decide I'm going to give up on my case. I mean, and by the way, half the time they can't be in touch with their lawyers. They're shipped around from detention center to detention center. They're lost in the system and they give up hope. I mean, it's an incredibly emotionally traumatic thing to be snatched off the street. Kids, children taken, or children themselves.
Speaker 2: Kids are are kids age well, and like what happens after you spend a month in a detention center like that?
Speaker 3: I mean. I also, I mean there's no oversight into any of this. And you see Andy Kim, who you had on. I mean, when you have congressional representatives who are you know, tasked with oversight, trying to do their job, they are pepper sprayed, they are arrested, they are charged with crimes. I mean, and we have no idea what's happening in Dilly detention, which is where all the kids are.
Speaker 2: I will tell you when I was talking Andy Kim, I was thinking about remember that he was he was like a brand new new to Congress time of January sixth, and he was in the Capitol picking up the trash. Yes, and like I remember interviewing him after that and he was like so still so like hopeful even though that had happened, because he was and you know, when I interviewed him on Tuesday, he seemed like beat down. Yeah, Like when you see something like that, it's like and he's not the type of he's not the type of politician who's like hair on fire partisan this that he just he saw something and you can tell he like can't even believe what he saw.
Speaker 3: You can't unsee it or unlearn it. And I have to say one of the advantages of the way the government is handling deportations right now is it's happening, in large part behind the worst parts of it are happening behind closed doors. When Alex Pretty and Nana cole Good were killed, it alarmed the entire country because it was happening in broad daylight. And now the abuse and dehumanization of people is just happening behind closed doors. And they're brown people, and they have fewer rights, and there's less mainstream media coverage, and the federal government makes it very difficult to get information. Nonetheless, I mean, you know, this is happening in our name, and we are doing this to people who were once integrated members of our society, who contribute to our economy and to the fabric of our democracy. And I just think, you know, it's devastating for anybody that works on it, but we should be I mean, we should be all more publicly devastated by it. And in the context of this funding, you know, these jabbronis in Congress doing whatever they're doing. We shouldn't forget that the essential fight here. The reason this bill is happening through reconciliation is because the Democrats didn't want to fucking fund ICE and CPB without reforms because what they're doing is an abusive power. It is not constitutional, and that should always be the sort of EndNote for any discussion about whatever Congress ends up doing on reconciliation.
Speaker 2: Did you one more thing on this? Did you see on Wednesday? Homeland Security Secretary Mark Waynemullen refused to rule out his crazy as plan to basically shut down not basically, it would shut down international travel at airports in sanctuary cities by removing customs and border patrol officers. So here la, I mean, the first threat was Newark because there were the protests outside the Delaney Detention facility. And that is like, I don't know whether to be like that is completely insane and scary and what are we gonna do or like go for it, touch the stove, shut down, shut down international travel on this economy to the United States. That's gonna work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No Republicans fly though, right they only they traveled by pony. What the fuck?
Speaker 2: Can you imagine the hit to the economy.
Speaker 3: It would be so bad. It's such an example of this idiot ass administration cutting off its nose despite its face. I mean, good job guys like make gas a trillion dollars a gallon and then shut down air travel way way to make America great again? I mean. And Mark Wayne Mullin in his you know notes on this plan, suggested that it's something they've been cooking up for a while and they're ready to execute on it until and unless ICE officers are respected. Well, you know, on some level, I have to say, John, maybe doing that, I mean, taking the setting aside the hit to the economy. It's like at least people would be reminded. I know that this is an ongoing side design.
Speaker 2: It's a touch and stove moment.
Speaker 5: This podcast is sponsored by Squarespace. Squarespace is the all in one website platform designed to elevate your online presence and drive your success. Squarespace provides all the tools you need to promote and get paid for your services in one platform. Whether you offer consultations, events, or other experiences, Squarespace can help you grow your business. Squarespace offers a complete library of professionally designed and award winning website templates with options for every use in every category. No matter where you start, Your website is flexible to what you need with intuitive drag and drop editing, beautiful styling options, unrivaled visual design effects on brand ai content in more ways to list what you offer, no experience acquired. Squarespace domains makes it easy to find the best name for your business at one fair, all inclusive price. There's no hidden fees or add ons required. Every Squarespace domain comes advanced privacy and security tools included to ensure your domain remains online and protected. Plus, squarespace provides everything you need to bring more of your dream to life, whether that means building a website or adding a professional email or service. Don't wait to claim your name. Invest in your dream domain today. Head to squarespace dot com for a free trial, and when you're ready to launch, go to squarespace dot com slash crooked to save ten percent off your first purchase of a website or domain. That's squarespace dot com slash crooked for ten percent off your first purchase of a website or domain.
Speaker 6: Podda America is brought to you by or A Frames.
Speaker 1: Dads are notoriously hard to buy for us, so this Father's Day, get him something he's guaranteed to love, an or a frame. How could a dad say no to hours of looking at pictures he already likes? That's right, he couldn't. You could easily load the R frame with dozens, even hundreds of pictures your dad will love, featuring family memberies, the kids and grandkids, beloved pets, or even random blurry iPhone picture or he sends to the family group chat with the caption get a load of this. Whatever you put in your frame, Ora insures that those memories don't just live in your head. The frame features free unlimited storage, meaning you can add as many photos and videos as you want. Every frame comes beautifully packaged in a premium gift box and you can preload photos before it even ships. Then he can keep adding photos from anywhere, anytime via the free or app or texting photos directly to the frame, which is great, because it's very likely or Dad will forget how immediately after you tell him, so you could just fill it with a bunch of family photos and then seeded through. Every fortieth picture is just Jeffrey Ebstein name number one by wirecutter. You can save now by visiting or frames dot com for a limited time. Listeners can get thirty five dollars off of select frames with code crooked. That's Aurea frames dot Com promo code crooked. Support the show by mentioning us at check out. Terms and conditions apply, So.
Speaker 2: Good news for the brains behind the J six slush fund. Trump announced this week that he intends to officially promote Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to permanent Attorney General. Todd Blo. Blanch, President's former personal defense lawyer, has been on a role since he took over for Pam Bondy. In addition to coming up with a slush fund, Blanche has brought a second indictment against Jim Comey for his Seashell art picture, and he's also stepped up an investigation into John Brennan. Blanche's nomination will have to go through the Senate Judiciary Committee, whose Republican members include John Cornyn and Tom Tillis. Are we gonna be stuck with Todd Blanche for as long as we're stuck with Donald Trump?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I mean, no matter what Tom Tillis intends on doing, there is the reality that Todd Blanche can stay acting age till Trump is out office. And I don't know if this is the time to mention the Julie suit situation, but under Biden in twenty twenty two, he could not get his acting or his deputy Labor secretary confirmed to be Labor secretary, in large part because of Joe Manchin and Kristen Cinema. Will set that aside for a rainy day another rank, but effectively set and I don't want to say set the precedent because I think what's happening here is much more nefarious, but opened the door to a mechanism by which a deputy secretary can become acting secretary for a largely indefinite period of time, assuming that the sort of paperwork around that is taking care of every year, and Republicans are looking at that, or the Trump administration, I would assume is looking at that and saying, well, if you could do that with your Labor Secretary, Julie Sue. We can do that with our wanna be ag ring kiss or extraordinary Todd Lynch.
Speaker 2: And this is sort of I mean, it's been the law forever and it's sort of like the Vacancies Act. Without getting into all of the details on this. Yes, if you are confirmed to be a deputy something something at a cabinet agency and then you're going to be acting, it is pretty easy to just restart the clock every year. Every year. We're now we're withdrawing the nomination. We're doing it again, and they're going to get a vote. They didn't get a vote, and now we're going to take you, you know, so like you can just play with the paperwork and Todd Lynch can serve forever, thank god, for as long as we have done.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I guess good job, Todd, Like what didn't you bow and what didn't you scrape in order to get that nod?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, he's got it, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: And yet he's not the worst I think of the nominees that have been proposed this week.
Speaker 2: Well, here we go take it up for you.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 2: The Blanche News did briefly overshadow the appointment of Bill Poulty. Yes, the same Bill Poulty who's been using his perch a top the Federal Housing Finance Administration to manufacture mortgage fraud allegations against people on Trump's enemies list. Don't worry, he apparently still gets to keep that job too, because he's doing such a good job.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, Can he be the Viceroy of Venezuela as well?
Speaker 2: Probably? We only have a couple of people to do all the jobs now. No one else wants to work there. This is also the same Bill Poulty who Scott Best and threatened to punch in his fucking face. And it does seem like even Republicans and other Trump administration colleagues may not be super thrilled with making this dufus America's top spy chief. Let's listen.
Speaker 6: Do you think that Bill POLTI has the experience to be the actor DNI.
Speaker 2: I'll defer the chairman on that Centaer Cotton, you want to speak to that.
Speaker 5: We have four more weeks with Director Gabbard as the d and I and I look forward to implementing last year's Intelligence Authorization Act with her.
Speaker 2: I have no observations on the matter.
Speaker 4: Have you ever, specifically in the context of the intelligence community, heard the name Bill Paulty in the context of intelligence.
Speaker 2: That's what I say.
Speaker 3: Did you mean like the intelligence community or just intelligence generally?
Speaker 2: That's my question, Tom Cotton saying, I have no observations on the matter. I know that is all we got.
Speaker 3: You speak for all of us.
Speaker 2: Trump was asked about this one in the oval when he was giving us his renovation updates. And here's his explanation.
Speaker 5: Why do you think, mister president, he's the best person for the job.
Speaker 4: Well, he's very smart. He's a person who's got high integrity. And it's an acting position. It's not a provment. He's not going to be permanent because you know, I don't think he'd want to be prev And you may find out some things about the rigged elections et cetera, et cetera have been necessary for You're used to president the necessary national security experience to take on that, Well, I do, and I think he does actually because he's smart.
Speaker 2: That's it. Trump says, you're smart, you have all the experience. What's your level of concern on this one?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 3: Very high? Hi, Hi, I think even and especially the fact that he's just serving for a specific window to find election interference right ahead of the midterm elections. What could go wrong? I will draw everybody's attention, like as if you didn't give us enough examples of this person be clowning himself in life. Will summer at.
Speaker 2: The point, I'm so glad you brought this up. Oh, it's such a good story. It's such a good story. Everyone go read it.
Speaker 3: Pull despential, like much of twenty twenty three, trying like as a meme stock investor, trying to get people to invest in like worthless shares of bed Bath and Beyond.
Speaker 2: Yes, and as smart as his sole mission.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all he did. And like basically they will will talks about how he organizes an event in December of twenty twenty three at a Florida hangar, I guess, like an airplane hangar that was dedicated to the conspiracy that Bed Bath and Beyond never actually went bankrupt. With Pulty sitting on stage, one promoter slapped a grateful supporter in the face with a green dildo, which was apparently a powerful symbol in their inscrutable online subculture. He uncovers what that inscrutable dildo symbolism means, and it's just as heinous as you would imagine it to be. This is the person that Trump wants to put in charge of our intelligence infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Do you see what he got at that event? So he was sitting there while the dildo incident occurred. Someone else got slapped in the face with the green dildo. And then Paulty was given a little trophy with the t rex on it and it said it said Poulty only fucks the young.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, he I think they were on two It was two different sides of the trophy. But yes, if you put all the sentence together, that's what. It's only the young and he fucks and so he foxes on one side. And I believe on the fact the cracker Jack fact checking, yet he fox only the young. It is all I mean, I just we have to go back to the phallic obsession of this administration. It is all just about dick swinging, and like he proved himself to be both at once willing to be castrated by Donald Trump but having some kind of dick to swing around at some point, or at least a dildo. I'm sorry that this has gotten so lude. I know it's a family pro I mean, but it's not fault. It's not it's the new acting director of National Intelligence who reportedly gave Trump that you are the You are Jesus J. Pegg.
Speaker 2: Yes, the guy.
Speaker 3: He's the behind the fifty year mortgage boondoggle. Like, what we're really talking about this guy? I mean, not only does he have I mean it's almost like the fact that he has zero qualifications for the job an afterthought. He is com completely morally and like I would say, ethically corrupt. He's a joke. And I would hope that Trump's suggestion that he'll only be in the office temporarily is some kind of hat tip to the fact that he knows that he's a joke. Yeah, but that should not call him anybody's fears, because as you know, it's quite obvious. I mean, he's being put in there for one reason only, and that is to help Trump find a reason to say that the results of the twenty twenty election were fraudulent and potentially to say that the results of the twenty twenty six midterms should not give Democrats to gabble.
Speaker 2: And you know, we just talked about why it's challenging to prevent the president from putting someone in a temporary position. And yeah, for you know, for as long as he wants. Section seven oh two warrantless wiretapping authority is up for renewal Thatttle Chestnut and both parties have negotiated surprisingly an agreeable solution to that. So they were going to put that up for a vote. But now Democrats are saying, we're not going to reauthorize that if the person in charge of it is this fucking dufus, And they're wondering if enough anti Poulty Republicans would join along try to use that as leverage. I think I saw maybe Collins, Murkowski, and Tillis voted for an amendment that would prevent Poulty from being a DNI chair that they added, But I don't think any of the other Republicans voted for I don't think the past.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you have to debate them, you have to sweeten it, like, we know he's a clown, we know he's a maniac, we know he's completely untrustworthy and could do crazy damage to the democracy. But if that's not enough, we're going to hold seven oh to FISA wire having an authorization hostage. It's insane to me that Democrats have to add a sweetener to attract more Republicans when this person is so categorically unqualified for this job. It's shameful.
Speaker 2: I wonder what John Ratcliffe thinks. Who is the CIA director and like not my cup of tea, but like a profession Yeah, and you know, I know that the ORG chart there is a little little loosey goosey, but he still has to like, like, this is the director of National Intelligence. Maybe they just cut him. I bet they cut him out of all the important stuff. And then when Trump wants really bad shit done, then Paulty gets access to everyone.
Speaker 3: Which is what he's already digging up. You know, he's rummaging around mortgage files, trying to find fraudulent mortgage applications so that he can tag Letitia James and Jim Comey. I mean, he this is all so utterly embarrassing. And yet what's crazy is we don't know what happened, Like we don't know if the visa reauthorization is going to be sufficient enough to get Trump's party to shut down the nomination of someone who could do grave damage, not just to do the democracy, but even to them. You know what I mean, Once you cross Trump, once you're no longer in office at anything's fair game. Like they're in peril as much as anybody else.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a lot that if Democrats take Congress that they can't achieve in two years with Donald Trump as president because he's still got veto power. But these are the kinds of things, especially PULTI, where if Democrats have control of Congress, you haul this guy in for questioning, you send subpoenas not just for him, but for document like you can. You can make stuff happen if you control Congress with appointments. This horrendous for sure.
Speaker 3: Tulsey Gabbert looked like j Edgar Hoover, doesn't it?
Speaker 5: I guess in a in the best possible way, Patze of America is brought to you by Wild Alaskan Company. The difference between low and high quality seafood is enormous, but it's also one of those things it's tough to accurately assess for yourself in the grocery store. Wild Alaskan Company offers the best way to get wild caught high quality seafood delivered to your door on your schedule. Each Wild Alaskan box comes with individually portioned filetse vacuum sealed, easy prep and great for any meal, no matter how quick or elevated. All fish is quick frozen fresh from the Alaskan waters, which helps lock in its freshness, texture, flavor, and key nutrients.
Speaker 2: They comega threes.
Speaker 5: It's fish you can trust with no GMOs, antibiotics or other additives. Every order supports sustainable harvesting practices in Alaskan fishermen whose history is tied to the region and the practice. Gotten a couple boxes of a Wild Alaskan Company. Everything tasted amazing. We ate some salmon, there was some white fish for fish tacos. I think there's some halbit. It tasted fresh, it was delicious. It was super easy to thaw out or just keep in the freezer for wherever you needed it. Highly recommend and Wild Alaskan Company is so confident that their fish is the best that they can offer a one hundred percent satisfaction and money back guarantee so you can try your first box risk free. Good Wild Alaskan dot Com slash crooked for thirty five dollars off your first order of premium wildcotseeafood that's wild Alaskan dot com slash crooked for thirty five dollars off your first order. Thanks to Wild Alaskan Come for sponsoring this episode.
Speaker 6: Hot Day America is brought to you by Helix Sleep. It's so important. A good night's rest sets you up for a great next day. I have trouble sleeping.
Speaker 1: I've had trouble sleeping in the past, usually because if thoughts in my brain, or I could fall asleep and not wake up, or I had caffeine too late, or the room is too hot, or the room is too cold, or you know the many different things you didn't finish that day that you said you were going to do. Helix didn't solve any of those problems. But the mattress is very comfortable. You get your mattress right to your door with free shipping in the US. How do you know which mattress is right for you? You take the Helix Sleep Quiz, which will match you with a perfect mattress based on your personal preferences and sleep habits. They have over twenty mattress models so you can find the perfect fit for you. The Happy with heliks Guarantee offers a risk free customer first experience. It's not to ensure you're completely satisfied with your new mattress, so you can rest easy with seamless returns and exchanges. He Loox offers one hundred and twenty nights sleep trial and a limited lifetime warranty. I have the dawn Luck, super comfortable, really glad to have it, and it's been better than other mattresses I've gotten in the past, so I recommend it. Helix Sleep dot com slash crooked for twenty percent off site wid be's he looks sleep dot com slash crooked for twenty percent off site wide. He looks Sleep dot Com slash crooked.
Speaker 2: One more congressional development of note before we leave Capitol Hill. Four House Republicans, including Thomas Massey, joined Democrats on Wednesday and passing a war Powers resolution directing the president to end military operations in Iran. Democrats and Republicans in the Senate advanced a similar measure a few weeks ago. This is all largely symbolic, however, because Trump can just veto the resolution, which he's not too happy with. He responded on Thursday by calling the warp powers a vote unpatriotic, the Republicans who voted for it grandstanders, and the Democrats Democrats, which seems to be his new nickname of choice. We haven't played a clip yet of this on this program, but he has said now multiple times he tells this story and he's like, you know, a lot of people don't know that dumb has a B at the end. This is what he's been saying, and like straight face, and he's like, I call them the Democrats.
Speaker 3: For who the bell tolls eight tolls.
Speaker 2: For people below't know all this time, you know there's a B at the end of dumb. Meanwhile, there seems to have been zero progress this week and actually ending the war in Iran, which Trump said Wednesday is quote not a big thing, not a big thing for the US to detour. I'd like to read you some rave reviews about the Iran war in the Wall Street Journal today Thursday. Quote it has achieved enough to produce a far better Middle East. Quote reaching no deal is fine end quote, this is a new day in the Middle East, cared. I guess the author.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, I'm gonna say who who? John who loves ill can see regime change more than someone from the George W. Bush administration. Could it be?
Speaker 2: It's Condialeza Rice pops are head up to just give a ringing endorsement of our progress on Iran.
Speaker 3: Which is less welcome the Jill Biden memoir or the Condaleza Rice op ed.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the You'll Biden memoir that's saying something, but the only because the Kandye Rice one is like, what is this gonna do?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Also, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Let me burnish my reputation by defending a failing president that broadly misguided war.
Speaker 2: That is commitment to the bit that like she is a true, true Neo Khan till till the end.
Speaker 3: I read this and I was like, are you kidding lady? The war? First of all, she writes about it in the past tense, and I'm like, wait a second. It drew America, Israel and Arab States closer through defense, cooperation and intelligence. What didn't draw the region closer? It also showed that although Iran can close the straight of horror moves, that leverage is limited. Is what it doesn't seem like it. His approval rating is like negative one million right now, and he's about to hemorrhage any leverage he has in conquer, Like, what in the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Also, and she's like, and do we need the enriched uranium? Sure, but that can be a tomorrow problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, John, there are large dog piles of highly enriched uranium somewhere in ran. But this is a problem for the future, not today, really well, and then goes on to just like sbout pure conjecture about like anyway, there ways of enriching it are probably dismantled or destroyed. Trust me. What I don't like hindsight is negative twenty twenty. Like the whole thing is just like we have learned. I mean, I just the hubrious, the foolishness. Anyway, I delighted in it. Actually, yes, it was breaking.
Speaker 2: I was trying to figure out what it was. And buried in there is her saying like, you know, no deal is fine, and that's better than a bad deal. And she said, under no circumstances can we be lifting any sanctions and giving them money? Yeah, And so she is doing the classic yes, anti anti Trump Republican thing of being like, I think we can play him right, because we'll tell him that the war went great, but what we really don't want is pellets of cash to Iran. And they don't want a deal where we unfreeze sanctions and unfreeze funds for them in exchange for getting rid of the nuclear material, which was the whole reason that we started the war in the first place ostensibly, and opening the straight up hor Moves, which was open at the beginning of the war. And so she's like, yeah, understand all that, but things aren't that bad, and so what she really wants is a deal to open the straight no money to Iran, and then just cut and run.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you negotiate that deal, and nobody seems to be able to. But like, I guess, nice try Kandy, You're totally right that It's like we will stroke the dog, will come running at us with saliva foaming at its mouth, and we will stroke the dog right between the eyes, right between the eyes, and we will calm the dog down, and then we will get it into the cage. And it's like, no, that dog's going to fucking bite you. It's good.
Speaker 2: Dog's uh. All right, let's talk about the big we had this rule, the ongoing and Iowa, Josh Turret beat Zach Wallas to become the Democratic Senate candidate. He'll be squaring off against Ashley Hinson in November in a race that Cook political report has now shifted from likely Republican to lean Republican. So Iowa Senate in play in Montana, a Bernie AOC backed smoke jumper and union leader named Sam Forstagg beat two moderate Democrats to become the nominee in the state's first congressional district, which Republican Ryan Zinke is vacating.
Speaker 3: Hot Fireman, dude, we need more fucking smoke jumpers. I'm sorry to curse him. We need more smoke jumpers. Please delete the fucking we need more smoke jumpers.
Speaker 2: Smoke jumpers. I just look at what a smoke jumper.
Speaker 3: Was I did. I actually just assumed it was fire religious glad that it's not some acrobatics that I was unaware Of'm like parkour for fire.
Speaker 2: No, it's like it's definitely fire related. And here in California we're still counting votes as we will be potentially for another week or two.
Speaker 3: So embarrassing.
Speaker 2: I know it is embarrassing as of right now. The guy His race shows Republican Steve Hilton and Democrat Javier Bassera in lead, though there's a small chance the Democrat Tom Steyer could catch Basera as more ballots are counted. He's currently about six percent behind. In the mayor's race, Karen bass is headed to the runoff in November, and currently Republican reality TV Doe Spencer Pratt is in second, but there's also a chance the Progressive challenger Nythia Rahman could catch him. She's currently seven percent behind. Election analysts say that in the past, the ballots got bluer the later they were counted, and that may be especially true in this election, since a lot of undecided Democrats held their ballots until the very end.
Speaker 3: Like the people who usually said at this table.
Speaker 2: Like the people who usually sit at this end. I mean, I I decided late before these guys, But I did. I turned it on Monday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's still considered late.
Speaker 2: That's pretty Yeah. I dropped it in. I dropped it in a box on Monday, So who knows when it finally got to the may not have Yeah, while we have you here in La, what have you made of our California primaries?
Speaker 3: Cousin to count your boats a lot faster. There are machines that will help you. I am. You know, we focused actually on both Texas and California and last week's Runaway Country, and we had the inimitable Daniel Pfeiffer on and it worries me as someone who would like to see a changing of the guard in twenty twenty eight about what this could portend for the Democratic Party writ large. It's a good point just because there's I mean, I think the gubernatorial race is a little different. It was hit with obviously the Swallowell revelations or accusations or whatever we're calling them, and that up ended, I guess the race. But there's a real lack of enthusiasm, no coalescing. It's what exactly the party wants to do in terms of like it's priorities for like arguably one of the most the most important state in the Union. I'm a New Yorker, so I can't really give you that, but you know, there's no clear agenda. There's a lack of enthusiasm. There's a sense that everyone's votes are very scattered and it's based on strategy, and that's not how you win a national election, and I worry that some of that can trickle down to what is going to be very crowded primary field and where I think the order of the day is going to be electability, which is so what the fuck is that?
Speaker 2: And I mean, I guess it makes super important, super hard to define exactly, very subjective and not totally subjective though that's the real You want to be like, well, you can't dismiss it totally and be like, well, it's all subjective. No one knows electability. Yeah, you can kind of tell, but it's also not perfectly objective either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the mayoral race really worries me in many ways. The gubernatorial race, I will set aside to like sort of strange dynamics, but the mayoral race seems like an area where Democrats are having a really hard time articulating a message that is dressing people's deep seated concerns. So much so that a no nothing reality TV star sounds familiar has somehow vaulted to the like the head of the pack. I mean, that's that's not good. That means there's real desperation inside. You know, one of the bluest cities in the blue estates in the country. So what does that mean for the country where it's not as blue and it's not as concentrated. I just I I don't like what I'm seeing here, and I genuinely love this state.
Speaker 2: I have been like grumbling about this to anyone who listened. But all the Democrats running in California in these primaries mayor and governor, who's the really inspiring communicator? Yeah, who's really good? Who gets who's good at getting attention by just talking and not spending two hundred billion dollars two hundred million dollars like Tom Styre did, not a lot of them. And then you have someone Katie Porter's a good example. Here's someone who in twenty eighteen rising star, great communicator, policy want but also someone who's like explained it and accessible way had the whiteboard. And then she has a personal character issue right with staff. So then you got that and that becomes a theme in the Democratic Party as well. Now, right, so you got that kind of person, you got your nithias like this, and a lot of other folks were running to who are like good at the job. You can tell they're going to be good at the job, and they have brilliant people, but like, were they born to be campaigners? Not really. We've had a lot of that in the Democratic Party. Yeah, right, And then you have the Besias, the Karen Basses, who their claim to fame is just sticking around long enough and just hanging around Democratic politics and being part of the establishment and making enough connections in the establishment that suddenly people are ready to rally behind you. And do you have good intentions? Yeah, I'm sure. I'm sure Karen Bass had great intentions when she took the job, and same with I assume that of Javier Biserra because I like to always assume well about people. But Karen Bass didn't adequately communicate in the last couple of years on this job. She didn't show the kind of urgency you need to show to be mayor of a city this large, even though it's a weak mayor. That actually means you have to work even harder to communicate in a weak mayor system. And you know that doesn't surprise me because in Congress is a member of Congress, which she was for so long. You can just kind of hang out in Congress and take your votes. But like, we need leadership, yeah, we need people to like stand up and point somewhere and say this is where we're going, and this is how we get there, and get behind me, and we're going to get excited. And it's like, where is that?
Speaker 3: Well, And the party by nature doesn't lend it sort of antithetical to be standing up and guiding everything in the Democratic Party, which is much more of a consensus oriented group of people, right, and it's much more inclusive and expansive in thought and agenda and all the rest. But that is a sort of structural problem for a party that desperately needs leadership and like executive style leadership.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it bunks me out to say it, because first of all, it is really hard to run for office, and it's a lot of sacrifice, and especially in this environment, it's like why does anyone want to go through that? Right? And there are so many people who are going through it right now, who are wonderful candidates who people will maybe never hear about because they're just putting their head down and trying to win their races. And they're not as flashy as some of the other candidates we talk about, and like, God bless them. But when we get to president, this is going to be the Yeah, this is why it's like this is spook in me, because you can you can do that in a congressional race. You can do that probably even in a Senate race. As you get to governor in this state, or as you get to a mayor or now especially when you get to president, it's going to be a lot tougher to do that. Yeah, just sort of fake it. Yeah, you need the real talent there.
Speaker 3: It's true. I know that town's come from California. JK, JK. It's a great state. It is a great people here, a lot of great people. Favreau twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, okay, Right, as we were speaking of all this, right as we're preparing to record this, the much rumored second New York Time story on Graham Platner's problematic behavior dropped. This one talks about his relationships with his past girlfriends. Several of them spoke of him fondly. Three others the time spoke to described quote, toxic relationships that were unsettling. I'm going to try to quote as much as I can here because it is it's a lot to untangle in this piece. Yeah, the most prominent voice in the piece is a longtime conservative activist. He dated between twenty thirteen and twenty fifteen, so I guess this is when he was in DC. And she said that while Platner quote never hit me, he once yanked her out of a cab by her wrist and also during one argument, twisted her arm behind her back, shoved her into a bedroom and told her to remain there until she was calm. Platner strongly disputes any claims of physical intimidation or altercations. This is all according to the Times. Seems like every time you're on the show, there's a big turn in the Platiner story. So welcome back.
Speaker 3: Coincidence or not?
Speaker 2: What do you think of this one?
Speaker 3: I feel like I get the gram Platiner hot potato lamb.
Speaker 2: I really do.
Speaker 3: And there's not even Dan here to, you know, create some levity around the absurdity of all of this.
Speaker 2: Dan never gets it, by the way.
Speaker 3: I feel like every time, well, it's just a quiet sort of rivalry that Dan and I have, like Platiner v. Mills. I. I will say, there's another part of the piece again quoted a quote or we're told by this conservative activist former girlfriend, where she says that Platner had what she described as a warrior ethos and would fantasize about killing people he deemed a threat. She said that he told her that rape was about power. It was something that stuck with her through the years. She said he said this a lot. If anybody ever broke in here, I would rape them, she recalled, saying that he added it would not be in a sexual way, not in a gay way. He was like, I would rape them to show them that I'm dominant. Yeah, I mean, okay, this is where it's like, this is really this fucking sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I.
Speaker 3: I want to be a person that has learned the lessons of like if you have multiple people accusing the one person of very similar behavioral power, like there's a good chance there's something there. This story goes. I mean, they go out of their way in the Times piece to quote girlfriends who were like, he was a gentle giant, I have nothing bad to say about him. But then they're a handful of women that more like I, you know, his behavior was sometimes made me feel not safe. And then this one in particular, this one ex girlfriend has the most distressing and in my mind, disqualifying things to say about him, and I think, like, we can't, this can't be brushed aside. He has to he has to, you know, tackle this head on. And if this was a Republican everybody would say, no fucking way. Yeah, I mean that's just the truth. Like with all of this. She also said, and then right, well fine, and ultimately this is an up to you in me, this is up to the voters of Maine. And this is a really interesting study. I mean, so much of what Platner represents was the less answer to the toxic masculinity of the right. And what's really fucking unf fortunate is that this kind of masculinity, if this stuff is true, is just as fucking toxic as everything being served.
Speaker 6: On the right.
Speaker 3: And there has to be a difference. There has to be a difference between what the left is proposing men and strength can look like and what the right is because otherwise we as women and the citizens of a democracy are completely fucked. So I would love to hear a lot more from Grand Platner on this, like getting into these allegies. She also suggests that he taught her the name of his Nazi tattoo and knew very much that it was a Nazi tattoo called the my tote cuff my tote.
Speaker 2: Cof, which makes me is the exact language that was used in Andrew Kazinski's piece about this. Because Andrew did he's a great reporter and said this on Tuesday, we basically reported that an acquaintance of his said that he had told her my tote cough before. So I was like, I want it. The language was the same, so I wonder if it was the same source. But regardless, look, I said on Tuesday Show that Platner's biggest issue going forward is trust. Yeah, and there are allegations in this story about the SSESS symbol and when he found out and what he knew, And you know, after that, he got more questions about, you know, were there any more skeletons in your closet? He said no. Then the sexting story came out, he got more questions about whether there are additional allegations coming out from Democratic senators this week, and he said nothing like the rumors that have been circulating. I'm not going to shed the rumors here, but the rumors have been they have been actually much much worse than what The New York Times ended up with and he said, no, nothing like those rumors that we've been hearing, which may be technically true. But now there's this story, right, and even if he is completely telling the truth, and this is it and he really is a different, better person who and he says in the story, I was a bad boyfriend, I drank too much. He has said all kinds of things about how horrible he was before he tried to turn his life around, even if he is telling the truth about that, which I can't judge. You can't judge, None of us can judge. The problem is it's going to be really hard to blame voters who wonder whether they can.
Speaker 3: Believe you can't blame voters. But also it's not even beyond Justeres that sucks. Is this a person who does this stuff? I mean that that's a fun essential question. I mean, like it is, harp. It is like very difficult. Well that's what, given how how absolutely asymmetrical, the asymmetrical the value system is here that democrat, you know, like that a person who otherwise has adopted a very sort of strong set of beliefs and policies that would help a large part of this country and seems very much like he believes those things could be shut down based on this. But if this is true, I mean, you can't. It's a moral You can't behave like this. You can't talk about women and do things like this to them. You can't talk about rape like that. I mean you you cannot fucking do that. That is, those are not the morals of a sensible party. And I don't know, I I gotta say because I I mean, I remember that, and I understand the repulsion of like having the DSCC involve itself in a Senate race. But everybody was like Janet Mills is too old. And I remember talking to Dan about this and I was like, I mean, yeah, she's old, but like Graham Platner has a lot of fucking question marks, guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I mean here's the thing about that is two things can be right, fine, but.
Speaker 3: I do It's like I think, like, you know, but all I'm saying is, and I see that, like there was so much interest in the fact that he could be a noose kind of masculinity for the left, and it's like, I'm sorry that she's old and that she's a woman, and that she was governor, but she was tough in her I'm not a Mills person.
Speaker 2: I'm not and I'm not like if they if if if you know, if they decide tomorrow like they're gonna replace him with Mills and Mills that's all. I'm not gonna be like, Oh no, like great, we need to win the fucking seat. That's the most important thing. It's not about like, it's not about Grand Platner, right, It's about it's about winning this it is, and.
Speaker 3: You know what, it's a good fucking thing. I was back on the map.
Speaker 2: I guess is that wells like I do try to separate, like this is a political situation and this is like a personal situation, right, Like imagine if we were talking about this person and he wasn't running for office. Okay, just as an experiment here, because I think this is what has been bothering me about it is like I do very much believe in the ability to redeem oneself and to change and to become a better person. And I still think it is very possible that this is the case with him, that all that stuff in the past is true. Yeah, and that somewhere along the line, as he says, he was like, my life is really fucked up. And you know, people say, like he's blaming the war, but like you know, every time, every person who's fucked up is a product of their environment and their own choices. It's both right. And so his own choices, his environment led him to this moment where he's really fucked up. He gets help, He tries to, you know, work in his community, organize people, tries to and over a new leaf, and then someone's like you should run for office. He's like me, what the fuck. And then he's like, Okay, I guess, but what about my past. You can do it right, You're you're a changed person. And then he does it, and then this is what happens now. No, No, I'm just saying, Yeah, the more these I'm telling you what I feel like, like, the more these stories come out, the more I'm like, yes, that could all be true, but there's a bigger there's a bigger there's more at stake here than your personal redemption story because we need the sense. So that's sort's wy I'm landing.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying, and I say one thing to that, though, Yeah, I don't think I mean, I think at essence, I wouldn't divorce the personal from the political in this in part because there's been such an assault on women in this country, whether it's denying them basic reproductive health, continuing to drag feed on basic you know, maternal health questions, especially in low income communities, or on paid family leave. You know, there are essential questions about how much you value women and families like these are questions that senators are going to have to answer if Democrats have power again. There needs to be legislation to address the wrongs and the assault on women's lives. And you know, you want people that see women as co equals. You want people that see families as you know, an important unit of American society and believe in the I don't mean to sound like some family valuings democrat, but I think you know it is. This is the reason this stuff bleeds into the politicals because those are you're you know, these are organizing principles, and if you're living your life in such violation of some of those principles that you then need to turn into legislation, it makes you question how effective someone's going to be in office if they get there. I mean, that's all I'll say about it because I don't I don't know if any of this is true.
Speaker 2: No, I don't need that.
Speaker 3: I don't think the excuse, the reasoning that he's given us far is sufficient to paper over this new reporting. I guess is what I would say.
Speaker 2: And I guess I'm just saying, like, don't don't we want people who change and who are like I what I thought back then, what I said back then was fucking wrong, and I actually mean it, And like whether it's say someone who voted for Trump and who supported Trump, whether it's a fucking oysterman in Maine, whether it's where a party who wants to reabailitate people who serve time in prison and give them a second chance, who were murders, and we get attacked for that by Republicans. We say no, we think it's important to do rehabilitation. And again, I don't people are gonna take this out of context. I'm not saying that therefore Grand Platter must get a see, we must do it for him. I am just saying that on an individual level, as a party, sometimes I think that one of our and maybe this is just me, but like I want to I want to believe well about people, and then I want to believe that when people fuck up and do something horrible and are genuinely sorry and genuinely want to change, that they are able to do that, and that people can accept them for doing that, no matter who they are, what they believe, what their background is. Fucking Donald Trump now not Donald Yeah, you know what I'm saying that is like, that's just like me therapizing this and just like talking about like this is this is divorcing it from the Like. I do think this is a huge fucking problem right now.
Speaker 3: We want people who've made mistakes, because life is full of mistakes. But there are mistakes there, there are patterns of behavior that suggests that lessons are have not been learned, and then there are mistakes that you make and move past. And I just don't know which one this falls into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also it's like and again, how many can you add up exactly and pile up if you want to be a United States senator? Now, I also think that it's a The challenge is, you know, contrary to what people online have said, like the guy generated an impressive amount of support in Maine, but.
Speaker 3: This is why it doesn't fucking matter what we say. I mean, we already know that, but like, it really doesn't like it will be very interesting to me as someone who's interested in kind of the social currents that I mean, I say this as an armchair sociologist, but whether this is an issue for him, I mean, it's entirely possible. Well, and it also he can move past it. I guess it's.
Speaker 2: Also too like it's it's, you know, for all the what did Chuck Schumer and the d SEC do with Janet Mills or what did the left do forcing Graham platter on. It's like no one forced Janet Mills on anyone. No one forced Grand Platner on anyone. Graham Platner decided to run, and a bunch of people showed up. Chuck Schumer wanted Mills to run, and she said sure, and she ran a campaign like and then the people of Maine came out, and you know what, we have a primary on Tuesday, And I do think, like, I mean, he's she's on the ballot. Still there's like one other candidate as well. You expect him to get like if he was a normal candidate without scandal in a situation like that, eighty five ninety percent of voty percent. If he's down to like sixty sixty five, it's a real fucking problem. Orf And like, I don't want to just because you don't want to just base it on poles. But like you know, we haven't seen any poles post the sexing scandal except for their internal which had him only up four for a while. But like, there's gonna be plenty of poles that come out. Yeah, and we'll see what happens in the primary. But the party has till I believe July thirteenth, if he'd opts out to replace him with someone else. So there's there's some time here, there's there's another month of pain.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do this show. This primary is over. Same, get me out of this seat.
Speaker 2: Same. It's but like you said, we'll end it where you begin. It sucks.
Speaker 3: It fucking sucks, It sucks.
Speaker 2: Hats America is brought to you by ze Biotics. You've heard us all talk about zebiotics a million times. We once again when Hill we got married the other weekend, he was giving up zobiotics to folks and at the wedding and people were like, does this really work? I heard you guys talk about this on the pod, and every single person to zibiotics the next day was like, oh wow, you guys weren't lying about that. It's like, yeah, of course we're not lying about that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Anyway, zebiotics works. It's a pre alcohol probiotic drink. It's the world's first genetically engineered probiotic. It was invented by PhD scientists to tackle rough mornings after drinking. Here's how it works. When you drink, alcohol gets converted into a toxic byproduct in the gut. It's to build up in this by product, not dehydration that's to blame for rough days after drinking. Pre alcohol produces an enzyme to break this by product down. Just remember to make pre alcohol your first drink of the night. Drink responsibly and you'll feel your best tomorrow. Just do yourself a favor and try it. You're gonna have a couple drinks, drink zibiotics first. You're gonna feel much much better tomorrow. Go to zebiotics dot com slash cricket to learn more and get fifteen percent off your first order when you use cricket a checkout. Zebiotics is backed with one hundred percent money back guarantee, so if you're unsatisfied for any reason, they'll refund your money. No questions asked. Remember to head to ze biotics dot com slash crooked and use this code crooked a checkout for fifteen percent off one other big topic to get to. Oh my gosh, I can't We're just here now, sixty minutes. Melt down at sixty minutes. This, Oh, we show, we can go forever. This isn't this as you said, This show isn't called sixty minutes.
Speaker 3: This is one hundred and ninety whatever we want t t tic tics.
Speaker 2: As you know by now. Ever since Trump hell David Ellison put contrarian conservative columnist Barry Weiss in charge of CBS, she's taken a special interest in sixty Minutes. Last week, Weiss fired the show's executive producer, along with several correspondents, and hired Nick Bilton, a tech journalist with no broadcast experience, to run the program. At Bilton's introduction meeting, which Weiss did not attend, maybe the funniest part of the whole story now, veteran correspondent Scott Pelley accused Weiss of trying to quote murder the show, and according to recordings of the meeting that have circulated shortly after that, Pelly was fired and then on his way out, publicly accused Weiss and CBS leadership of instructing him to quote inject falsehoods and bias and unverified assertions into quote a politically sensitive story. You worked at CBS News for a while. I know you've been writing about the story a bunch on your excellent substack.
Speaker 3: How the hell with Alex Wagner?
Speaker 2: Perfect title, hellfe It's a great name for a substack. Care to unquirk on this one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: How much time we got? Can you hear the sound of me rubbing my hands together?
Speaker 2: Please do it.
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 3: I have so much to say about this, but I know I can't spend an hour on I can't spend sixty minutes on it. It's appalling what Barry Weiss is doing. It is all part of a project that Barry Weiss is a small player and a larger machine, which is for the Ellisons. I mean, I actually don't think David Ellison, who I refer to as Lord Collagen on my substack. Have you noticed how just moving that rice a lot but also just ripe. The ripeness of his cheeks and lips shiny, very collagen filled, but not I think he's naturally just peach like. Anyway we'll go with that. He I don't really, I mean, I think they're conservatives. This is I mean they are. They want to make a lot of money, and the way they're going to do that is by currying with this the Trump administration by any means possible, and they've figured out wisely that the best way to do that and ensure that they can proceed with the paramount Warner Brothers Discovery merger, which is supposed to happen as soon as next month, is to show Trump that they have no compunction about gutting legendary news institutions and destroying the Fourth Estate if it's inconvenient to this president. And that's what's happening here. And you know, Barry Weiss is a fool. I will say that this is foolish, bad, a moral, unethical behavior. She's hollowing out this institution that was one of the last you know, we talk about this moment in American life when people used to gather around and watch things on the television sixty minutes is like the last bit of appointment television we.
Speaker 2: Have in modern culture. We've had a real monoculture problem in this country last ten.
Speaker 3: Years, and it's I don't think much is going to exist of it at the end of all of this, and that's a real travesty because I don't think you ever get those viewers back. I mean, that's the problem with broadcast. It's an iceberg that melts, and once it's melted, there's no refreezing. And so you know what I would love to see in all of this is the people who count in terms of the ellisons life and financials say something about it, which means I sit here in Los Angeles, California, and the thing that the Ellisons are interested is television and movies. That's their bread and butter. That's what makes money for the Ellisons and Paramount and like it is one thing for Alex Wagner and Jon Favreau to stand in solidarity with Scott Pelley and the staff of CVS and sixty minutes. It's another thing for everybody who's on a Taylor Sharedan or Tyler Sheridan show to say, Hey, you can't gut the fourth Estate. Just because you want to make money on entertainment. It's like, where are all the people that have movies made by Paramount? Where are the people that have TV shows made by Parau? This is their fight too, because this is an issue of free speech, and until and unless they stand up, it's not going to make a difference. News doesn't fucking make money. News is an afterthought. This is an inconvenience for the Ellisons. The only thing they care about is making money through entertainment. And until the entertainment world stands up and says you can't do this, you know, a crime against one of us in terms of free speech is a crime against all of us. This goes nowhere.
Speaker 2: You can tell that Nick Bilton, did you see like his long note that he put out today where he was like, and I, you know, we're committed to transparency and honest journalism. And I've talked to Leslie Stall and the remaining correspondents, and you know, you can tell there's a little he's a little worried.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he should be a lot worried, a lot worried.
Speaker 2: And they and they promoted Maria Gavrilovitch to senior producer. Who's think we both know. I know, I've known for a while and she's fantastic.
Speaker 3: When I worked at CBS News, we weren't allowed to cross the street to go over to sixty minutes.
Speaker 2: You had to like that's how they Wow.
Speaker 3: It was a separate office with better lighting, better everything. I think it was like soundproofed, so you never knew what was happening.
Speaker 2: You know what's really annoyed me about this, I mean there's a lot of it. Everything you said is like right on the sources that are saying to media reporters about this. You know, the culture was kind of bad at sixteen minutes, and it's not everyone, you know, all you tds, libs think it's all politics, but there was a culture problem that needed to be solved and this is just maybe a bit of a rough way to do it.
Speaker 3: Fuck off, I mean, yeah, it drives me nuts well, and is someone I was on the fucking the farm team over at CBS right, I was doing CBS this Morning, CBS this Morning on the weekends, like I was the bottom feeder, and you look enviously across the street. But there was a reason you were envious because the quality of investigative research and reporting they were doing was was barn on. I mean, there was just no nothing like it, and they deserved to be an island under themselves because of the rigor of what they were doing and the audience that they commanded, you know what. I mean. Sorry that they were on top, and sorry that it sucked for everybody else, and especially the CBS News division, which was starved into obsolescence and left to eat you know, moldy green beans in the cafeteria from nineteen seventy six. That was literally something that I did on a daily basis. But like they earned that reputation for a reason. And the shadenfreude around this among news industry veterans and people who once worked there, Fuck off. This is not about like a dick swinging contest about who got what resources. This is about attacks on the free press, and this administration through the lackeys that it has put in its corner, disassembling like one of the last great institutions.
Speaker 2: It's also it's like you think there's a culture issue, you think it's a fossil, You think it needs to be updated for the digital age. Fine, think about all the ways to do that. Yes, that are not this because if you wanted to do that, Like you'd have to be you'd have to be really fucking incompetent to do it this way more or so, and like you're not going to tell me, like Barry Weis's a lot of things, you're not going to tell me that she and Nick Bilton and all the rest of them are this fucking dumb that they think that this was the best way to change the culture at sixty minutes.
Speaker 3: It's totally vindictive, and none of them have any qualifications, Like show me the media companies that either one of them have turned around, Show me the experience they have in television, a broadcaster, news they got not Yea, it's bad, Goosey.
Speaker 2: It's bad. All right, It's been a long show. But before we go, before we go, I have to the deep tease, all right. So I'm just going to you know some of this.
Speaker 3: You know something I only I thought I had too martinis.
Speaker 2: When that's true, that's true. I did tell you that. I'm just gonna read aloud to all of you. An email I received on March twenty fifth, a couple months ago. Now, oh my god, it's from TKO Events. TKO Events sent it to me. John Favreau and the subject line of the email is UFC Freedom two fifty, John. We are honored to invite you to UFC Freedom to fifty on Sunday, June fourteenth, a special evening celebrating our country. This once in a lifetime event marks a historic moment, and we would love to have you join us. This invitation is non transferable and does not include a plus one. We need your RSVP by Tuesday, March thirty first, as there are significant logistics with the White House. More details to follow. So I saw this and it was like, Uh, is this a joke? Did someone prank me? And why am I invited to the White House? And I'm And then I looked and in the CC line of tk Events was Ari Emmanuel, who owns TKO Events. And then I looked up TKO Events. I'm like, oh, and they own UFC. And then and then I did a little digging and I was like, oh, so Trump had all his tickets. There's four thousand tickets. Trump gets most of them. Some go to the military, two hundred go to Ari Emmanuel at TKO events, two hundred go to Dana White. And Ari chose me because what I thought is he thinks I was the other John Favreau. Yes, because way back when I was represented at WM and I believe that Ari was John's agent, and I think John must like UFC fights or whatever. But anyway, I r s v p'd yes because I thought, fuck it, I'm going to the White House and I'm gonna go in there. I'm gonna and I'm gonna and I'm gonna check it out. Maybe I'll see my Eddie Stephen Miller or my friend Ja d E Vans and chat them up.
Speaker 3: You're gonna climb the octagon.
Speaker 2: Possibilities were unless, so I RSVP'd. I got this follow up on April second. Your ticket to UFC Freedom two fifty in Washington, d C on June fourteenth is confirmed. Ticketing and arrival details surrounding your visit will be sent from TKO Events during the week of June eighth. Please reach out with any questions and let us know if you're no longer able to attend. Thank you. So I'm like, okay, it's still happening. A few weeks ago, on May eleventh, I got another email ahead of your trip to Washington, DC for the historic UFC Freedom to fifty. We are collecting identification details from each guest due to the heightened level of security that will be in placed throughout the weekend. The information is required to ensure there are no issues with ticket distribution. So I gave them all my info. On May twenty seventh, I got more details, including suggested dress code, business formal, a reminder to bring my government issued ID, instructions of how to get my ticket the week of the fight, a whole thing. So I had, I made plans.
Speaker 3: You bought a ticket, bought a ticket to DC.
Speaker 2: To DC like booked a hotel, had a whole meeting here. I had a whole meeting here with everyone. It was It's Sunday, June fourteenth. The next day I was going to Chicago for the Obama Library. It probably not too many people go into both of those things, nahdah. It was very excited trying to figure out, like how am I going to play this? What if I get right? What's going on? And then today no another email from TKO events. Hi Jonathan. Now, when I gave all my info, of course I gave my real info, which is Jonathan Edward Favreau. And the only thing that's different between me and the other John Favreau is our middle name. He's he's he's j O N two, but he's K John K Favron. I'm John E. And I think because then also they went with my full name. I think then they probably when they saw that they finally checked the list. Are sincerest apologies, but we've just discovered there was a miscommunication about our allotted number of guest invitations for UFC Freedom to fifty on June fourteenth. Unfortunately, as a result, we are under allotted and no longer able to accommodate your attendance. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for your understanding. We would love to host you at a future event.
Speaker 3: It's perfect for the for the third and Hon, I was so close got me. I knew you know what. I knew something must have gone awry because you certainly wouldn't be broadcasting this.
Speaker 2: No, I was gonna keep it all secret. I wasn't gonna say anything until I was safely out of there. Yeah, no way was I going to say anything.
Speaker 3: I'm devastated. To anybody who's listening to this, you should be watching it on YouTube because Favre's like the way his eyes dance when he talks about this.
Speaker 2: It was so it was such a fun story.
Speaker 3: Oh my god's like watching a balloon take flight like the Glee.
Speaker 2: I will say that. It was like, it's such a fun story. But as I was getting closer, I'm like, what is this going to be?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What am I going to do? Oh?
Speaker 3: We I mean, I really was like, can we put a GoPro in your trench coat? Can we? Can we put love It in your trench coat?
Speaker 2: I started to figure out because I'm like, you know, been to White House events and inside the White House they always take people's phones for at least we did. Yeah, well but who knows what these people anything but on the South Lawn and I know it's high screwed them. I'm like, I bet people are gonna be taking pictures all over the place in the South Line. So I didn't think they were gonna be taking my phone. But also I was like, what if I get recognized? Are they gonna kick me out? It's going to happen, Like am I going to talk to someone? I'm that type was going to go up and like yell at someone.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe your shrink bill will be less because you had to have a lot of contingencies. But I mean, really, the service you could have done our country again climbing the octagon unfurling. You know, I'll let the meat cake banner over the over the White House Portico. I mean, there were so many.
Speaker 2: Part what if?
Speaker 6: What if?
Speaker 2: They? I was like, is there gonna be a lawyer on hand?
Speaker 3: Listen? Precautions could have been taken. We would have gotten the X X bill team, could have gotten ice was there.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of ways it could have gotten wrong.
Speaker 3: Listen. I mean, I just hope that the mistakes continue with their mailing list. This is a lot like I mean, maybe you'll be invited to perform at Freedom to fifty.
Speaker 2: Because they confused, which is now just a Trump rally.
Speaker 3: Well, apparently he's the greatest performer in America.
Speaker 2: I do hope that other Jon Favreau gets his invite.
Speaker 3: Now, other John Favreau. This is a holly You have a Hollywood audience. If someone out there can talk to John Favreau.
Speaker 2: And I well, I did I know John Favreau, but like, well, my car, I'm close to him. He's not well clearly not close enough that I was going.
Speaker 3: To tell him exactly you were going to take his Now he hates you.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, yeah, someone he'll understand. It's a great story.
Speaker 3: If I showed up and just like, yes, well that would have been interesting. Someone Robert Downey Junior, are you out there, like, have other Favreau give this Favreau his ticket.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea. No plus ones, So yeah, I would have to take it anyway. I'm glad that I shared that you got it off my chest.
Speaker 3: What a beautiful dessert. Beautiful dessert, fantastically depressing episode.
Speaker 2: That is our show for today. Tommy will be back on the Feed on Sunday with a conversation with the Bulwarks, will summer about the MAGA media ecosystem and all the latest dramas.
Speaker 4: Check that out.
Speaker 2: Have a great weekend. Thanks Alex.
Speaker 3: It'splasure to be here.
Speaker 2: Podsave America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Ferris Safari with Ree Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groat, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlottelandis Krol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East