Speaker 1: Welcome to Destiny. Now here's your host, Cliff Dunning.
Speaker 2: Hey, Hi, come on and have a seat. Let's talk out here on the West Coast. I'm here in San Francisco. We are dealing with high heat this week and it's been about it's gonna be one hundred degrees today and I am recording this on the first day of October twenty twenty four, and it's one hundred and two and I'm in the East Bay. I'm over close to where Berkeley is. You got San Francisco, you cross over the Bay Bridge and you get into Berkeley, Oakland, El Sobrante, and then you got me here in El Sobrante in the valley, I should say El Sorito and then Elsa Bronte. And boy, this is unusual. I think. Right now San Francisco is experiencing a record heat wave. So you know, everyone else in the country has been baking, and it's our turn to bake a little bit. So hey, welcome to it. Today's interview was interesting. The title of the program is The Quantum and the Dream, Visionary Consciousness AI and the New Renaissance, and the author is radio host Douglas Grunther and the for those of you in the East coast, especially in the Carolina's North Carolina got hammered. He's above that somewhere, but the connection kept going out. And it was a strange interview simply because they're still dealing with problems there weather conditions. I had a girlfriend in North Carolina. They were at vacuated. She lived in just below Ashville, and they had to be evacuated because the roads were out in the water. I guess is the water mains are broken. She had no water. She was able to text me, so she still got internet connection, but she only had water for two days. So Debo, I hope you're doing well. I hope you got yourself taking care of. She said that she was gonna fly and visit a friend in another part of the state. But I'll tell you, Helen, this hurricane was devastating, totally unlike anything typically that gets up that high, usually their category one, but this tornado grew to a category four, which is killer level. And I think we're over one hundred dead. They were talking about finding bodies in trees and so the water. Oh my god, it's like and I've never heard this before. They were saying it's over a trillion gallons of water fell on North Carolina. Trillion, not billion trillion. So that's that's just those are just devastating levels of saturation. So watch the main roads. Out of course, if the main roads are bad, the small roads that aren't necessarily paved are gone, and it's a disaster. It's a terrible, terrible disaster. So anyhow, our interview today was strange because it kept being interrupted and I had to edit it down to less than an hour just because we wanted to get the thing done. So again, the title is The Quantum and the Dream, and this is about new well, i should say, reoccurring uses of technique to gather and to begin using what our ancestors and those of the indigenous people of the Americas and indigenous people around the world before the industrial age were using. And this is where you connect with Earth, you connect with Gia, You quiet yourself, you meditate, you intend, I intend to connect with the Gaia in my meditation. Or you are meditating, or you are doing a sacred practice scrying which you're looking at the mirror. You're doing a practice that helps you connect with the planet, and you are raising your consciousness and We're gonna hear a number of terms today, but probably the most interesting is nature intelligence, the subtle intelligence that our ancestors use. And I see this with the Maya. The Maya were so locked in with Gaya, with the planet that they developed a science. And my belief is that they are from another mother culture. A lot of people, including our own and Barharmed, feels that they were not from Atlantis. But again we can't use Atlantis as an excuse. I think they had some pre destiny with their ancestors. This is the Maya, and so they were very much tied into the Earth. And when you're tied into the Earth, you're not building nuclear plants, you're not building generators. You are tapping into telluric energy fields. You're tapping into lay lines. You're using the gravity to increase and through your pyramids, you're enhancing t leric energy and gravity and you're creating energy fields. Now we learn about this through the work of doctor or He wasn't a doctor, but he was a scientist, John Burke, who actually tested the frequencies that were out coming out of glyphs and these are earthworks, but really most importantly pyramids, and he actually went down to Tikal in Guatemala and tested a number of pyramids and discovered that the oldest pyramids were the ones that were built on these energy centers. And so when we see that, we had to rethink our beliefs about the Maya. And I also don't think that our interpretation of them is correct. Loincloths, savages, those are the last generations. Those are the post deluge, post catastrophic Earth period survivors. So today we're going to talk about nature intelligence, how we work with that, and how that, along with machine with computer intelligence and human intelligence, will usher in an evolution, a new phase of intelligence, a new guidance where we're using the right side of our brain more than the left. The left side is analytical, the right side's creative and intuitive. The right side is an intuitive So we're working to have the optimal lifetime using intuition. What does I feel like? What should I be doing? How do I feel about something? How do I feel about this relationship? How do I feel about my job? How do I feel about signing a document that I'm not sure of? How do I feel?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Using intention, using special practices to enhance our intuition, meditation, quiet time, tapping into nature, and that's really really critical. Now I've been talking about biohacking, and I think our ancestors did this automatically. This is fasting, This is eating only certain types of foods, this is an exercise. This is quiet the brain, optimizing the human experience. And when you biohack, you leave behind the stress. You make sure you get plenty of sleep, you eat optimally, optimally for your body. In our case, because we're so stressed out and we've been depleted, we're taking nutrients, we're taking vitamins, and if we're overweight, we're biohacking by taking ozimbic or semic glutides to readjust the system to begin losing fat. Because if you're overweight, if you're obese, you're struggling, and that's a bad thing. So, and we're going to have in the coming weeks I've talked about this, we're going to have a number of physicians that are looking to the future and also different kinds of practice. Most notably, there's a new term you've may have heard. It's called functional medicine. Functional medicine using these various hacks for optimal health, not substituting wellness with medicine, with unnecessary surgery and God forbid radiation. And some of you have written to me and said, hey, you're being too hard on medicine, and it's like, no, I'm not. They are killing people, they are disrupting our lives with drugs which are toxins. They just do not get the healing modalities. And more and more mds, medical doctors, alla paths are seeing this as well as the universities and using their credentials and studying and getting additional credentials in functional medicine. So hear that term again, functional medicine, and we'll have an expert talking to us about what that means, how it's a benefit to you, and how you can live a much more healthy lifestyle. So today's program is the Quantum and the Dream, visionary consciousness, artificial intelligence, and the New Renaissance. And my guess is, Douglas Grunther, you probably hear about all these amazing locations, these ancient sites we visit on Earth ancients and here on Destiny. But I got to tell you there's nothing like being there in person. And we have a number of tours that we schedule every year, some in far lands like Turkey and Egypt, but some are closer to home, like Mexico. And we have a great tour coming up in November the sacred Mayan Temples of the Yucatan. It's November eighth through the seventeenth of this year, one week of intense exploration. This tour is design for those of you who really want to connect with these ancient places, feel an affinity to the Maya, and just want to see a close and personal what a pyramid looks like, what it feels like, how you connect with them, and the toleric energy. For more information on our upcoming tour, go to Earth Ancients dot com, forward Slash Tours and look for the banner to Mexico. Got to tell you this is gonna be a good one. We're gonna be going to Ushmol, chichen Itza, Lobna Sayil, and every place we go to. You can connect by sitting, by meditating, by connecting with these sacred locations. And there's nothing like climbing a Mayan pyramid and sitting at the very top and getting bathed in this wonderful energy. Again, come out and join us. It's November eight through the seventeenth of this year. Go to Earth Ancients dot com, Forward slash tours and get all the information. It's fun speaking to an ally. Someone else who is also a host. My guest today is Douglas Grunther. He has written a new book called The Quantum and the Dream, Visionary Consciousness, AI and the New Renaissance, and I gotta tell you it's very interesting. He this this His program is called Woodstock Roundtable. It's an award winning radio talk show and it covers philosophy, depth, psychology, and spiritual insight. That's a good fit for Destiny simply because it kind of parallels what we do here on the program. But the reason I'm having Doug on the program is that this book talks about three types of consciousness, which we're going to talk about today. But not only that gives us a sense of where we're going. And we have a number of people on this show all the time who are like, Okay, I meditate, I see the world differently. But meditation is just one avenue. So we want to learn more about exactly what this book, The Quantum and the Dream is all about. So hey, Doug, welcome to Destiny. Great to see you.
Speaker 1: We have a great to deal with you.
Speaker 2: Where you located?
Speaker 1: Where are you coming from? I'm in Kingston, New York. Moved up to Witchstock, New York about forty five years ago to help start the witch Radio station. I couldn't believe Woodstock and you didn't have a radio station. But through a synchronicity, which is of course my book is based on a synchronicity, historic synchronicity, but due to a personal synchronicity we might have time to get into. I was able to move from New York City up to Woodstock to help create the station. I now just do a talk show, and I've been doing it for forty four and a half years, and I'm gonna keep doing it till I get it right.
Speaker 2: Amazing. So you're a radio man. You started what in college and then you just kept going and developed your own program after so many years?
Speaker 1: Or what? Yeah, I was. I was intrigued with radio when I was a kid, and then when I went to college at Columbia, I was able to get on their the college station there, and when I graduated, I didn't really have a doorway into New York radio, which is tough to break into. So I taught tennis, which was a good way to make some money, but I kept my eyes and ears open for radio opportunity. And what I'm telling you is what happened. It's called the synchronicity, and we'll get into it. I was living in the village of New York and I had a studio apartment, and in the apartment I had my grandmother's upright piano, which I could play a little bit with, and it needed tuning. Now, this is before the World Wide Web, and people older might remember things called phone books. And in Manhattan they had the Yellow Pages, which is where you looked up different commercial enterprises and professionals. And it was almost a foot thick. And I needed a piano tuner. So I opened up the Yellow Pages to piano tuners, and it's Manhattan. There were like sixty names. So I literally closed my eyes and dropped my index finger on a name. Tony called him up. He came to tune my piano. We started talking and we talked about interests. I said, yeah, I'd love to get into He said, well, two friends of mine are starting a radio station in Woodstock, New York. I said, Woodstock doesn't have a radio station. No, they're starting it. They live in Queen's here's their phone number. So I called them up. They said, come on over when we finished with the piano tuning. I drove over and after an hour conversation, I gave them a check for seventy five hundred dollars, which is all I had in the bank, so I could have a share or two of the station. They gave me the keys to their Woodstock country home, and I loved it. I moved up there and helped them start the station in nineteen eighty. So if it wasn't that thumb landing on the name Tony, we wouldn't be talking today. Probably, Cliff.
Speaker 2: I think it's interesting, and by the way, that's fascinating how the station has evolved in your connection to it. But I find it fun that you are dealing with people who are talking about consciousness, who are perhaps the movers and shakers of artificial intelligence and some of the some of the developments in terms of understanding how we as a species are evolving. And that's my primary interest in having you. What inspired you to write this book? Was it the fact that you were interviewing these individuals who were on the cutting edge of understanding where we were evolving or how we are evolving as a species.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it really started when people ask how long to take you to write the book? Well, a year and a half to actually write it, seven years if you count the the salons that I gave talks at both in Whitchstock and in New York City, in which I developed some of these themes. But it's really fifty five years because my sophomore year in college was the first time my mind was really open by a philosophy teacher, and I would go to the Columbia bookstore and I'm just goo for a book to jump out of me. And one that jumped out was by Marshall mccluan called The Medium is the Massage, which was a pun on his famous quote to medium is the message reed. And the second thought was, I have no idea what he's talking about. And you see, mccluan ties directly into what your show's about, because he was really talking to us in the twenty first century. Mcclullan died in nineteen eighty, the first year that the personal computer came out, but a lot of the young guys in garages and young women in garages who were tinkering with computers in the seventies consulted with McLuhan because they knew he was seeing ahead. One of them was Steve Wozniak, who ended up one of the main founders of AI. So mccluan's one of the visionaries that I talked about in the second section of my book, which talks about the shift and consciousness that happens when we orient ourselves from the printed page to the digital screen. And it was mccluhan who taught us more about how our minds unconsciously get rewired with new media technologies. This has been going on throughout human history. He was the first one to really call attention to this, and so he's one of he's one of the key figures in my book. I love that, you know, when I was reading up about your about your podcast, you say there's a good deal of wisdom that has been handed down from the past, But then you ended the description of your show with the next stage in evolution, And to me that really that really gets it. That the reason we want to pick out the wisdom of the past is so that we can move ahead. And I believe that we are on the precipice of an evolutionary leap. I believe we are recapitulating some of the same dynamics that led to the Italian Renaissance. And what we were taught about the Italian Renaissance in schools is very limited. We were told about, you know, the Sistine Chapel and the Statue of David, which were magnificent, but the the what really induced the Italian Renaissance was the devastation of the Black plague. It was on its way to killing a third of Europe. They didn't even know the cause. And the few people who are literate, and we're writing manuscripts at the time, so we have to collect all the wisdom we can because this may be the end of humanity. We have to collect it and write it down. And we now are in the midst of what we completely call climate change, global warming, and anyone who doubts the impact of it, just look what happened with Helene, you know in the southeast, which was a Category one hurricane, expected to stay that way, and then all of a sudden it becomes a Category four. I mean, that's an analogy of the time we're in where things are ramping up at a pace that we've never experienced before. If we do it right, it'll be an advantage. If we do it wrong, we're going to see a lot more anxiety. But during the Italian Renaissance, it was the anxiety around the Black Plague that really helps stimulate the leap forward. And uh, let me make that moe forward. Ug.
Speaker 2: So this renaissance that you're suggesting had and this is the other thing in your book, you talk about the left brain and right brain. The left brain is verbal, analytical. Uh, it's a digital brain, and then the right brain is intuitive, visual, and the creative brain. You're you're you're hinting that the right brain is more dominant in this revolution.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, yeah, you put your finger on another crucial piece. The other version. Another visionary is someone who's a contemporary. His name is Ian McGilchrist. I'm encouraged that his books, his two books, which are incredibly complex, beautifully researched, and he writes, well, he's a psychiatrist, he's a neurologist and a philosopher, and he is the go to guy on the left and right hemisphere of the brain. And his book, uh, The Master and his emissary, which was the key to my understanding, has over seventeen hundred footnotes. So this guy knows what he's talking about. And it turns out that the key not only do we have a left and right hemisphere, but every living organism on the planet has a brain that has a left in the right hemisphere. Now, evolution doesn't keep something around for a long time if it's not valuable, So he gives a very good example of the importance of balancing both of them. And the example is to imagine a small bird, like let's say a robin. In order to survive, that robin has to be able to find microscopic sized seeds in the ground. That's their nourishment. So it has to be highly focused to do that. That's the left hemisphere, the left hemisphere of our brain. Both hemispheres can be created, both hemispheres can be logical, but the left hemisphere can only understand the world by being highly focused on specific things. So if the robin didn't have that ability, it wouldn't find enough seeds, it wouldn't survive. But if it doesn't tune into it, the right hemisphere is the part of its brain that can see the bigger picture. The word holistic. Why is that important for a robin, Because if it's so busy focusing on the seed that it doesn't recognize the shadow overhead, which is a hawk coming to get it, then instead of eating it will be eaten. And so in our case, our culture, Western culture for hundreds of years, has really focused on the left hemisphere because it gets us all the great technologies that we all benefit from. But by ignoring the right hemisphere, which gives us the bigler picture, we didn't realize them too late that by using fossil fuels to get all this these beautiful technolologies, we're literally bringing down the very environment that keeps us alive. And so we need to shift to the right hemisphere. Because technology is not going to solve all of the climate change problems. It will help what's going to be required as a shift in consciousness, and that's probably always been the case. In the Italian Renaissance, there was a shift from religious figures and emperors running the show. You couldn't disagree with them, or you're either excommunicated or executed. And in the Italian Renaissance, a philosophy called humanism flourished, which celebrated the individual human mind, that individuals were here to learn and expand their minds, and that was a big shift in consciousness. And here in the twenty first century, I'm pointing to three shifts in consciousness. One is to the right hemisphere of the brain for reasons we can talk more about. The second is the shift of the digital screen. Because as you and I are speaking today, Clip five and a half billion of us have our brains connected to this world wide web, and collaboration is the main reason that we human are the most intelligent species on this planet. That was the theme of the very successful book Sapiens by u Will Noah Harari. Without collaboration, we wouldn't be here. But unfortunately, ours our culture celebrates competition over collaboration. But if you look at evolution from a right hemisphere standpoint, that is the big picture. We wouldn't be here if collaboration wasn't a more powerful force than competition. M So.
Speaker 2: This revolution that you write about is this artificial intelligence? Is that part of the revolution where we use computer uh learning or actually you talk about the three levels of intelligence human intelligence, computer intelligence which is machine learning, and AI and nature intelligence. Does this make up the components for the revolution, for the renaissance.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, for the first time in evolution. The unique position that evolution has put us in here is that we have three powerful forms of intelligence interacting on this planet for the first time. We have human intelligence, we have computer intelligence, and we have the most powerful of the three, Nature's intelligence. Here's a real practical example. In the nineteen thirties, we Americans bragged understandably about the construction of the Hoover Dam, this huge, magnificent technology. Well, where did humans get the idea for building dams? From beavers? We learn from nature. We're part of nature. Unfortunately, the left hemisphere of our brain sees us as apart from nature and sees nature as something we can grab things from, like our technologies which make our lives more comfortable. Okay, But in fact, as spiritual explorers know, and as I'm sure you're the followers of your podcast, no, we are not separate from nature. We were born out of Nature's intelligence. We are embedded in it, and it is the most intelligent force we have. The unique responsibility of human beings in the twenty first century is that evolution has given us one hand on the steering wheel of evolution, and we're required now to steer these three forms of intelligence, our intelligence, computer intelligence, and nature's intelligence and figure out how to use them in the most appropriate and effective ways. And my book points to many of the visionaries over the past one hundred years who've been kind of showing us a map on how to do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we know about human intelligence, we developed and birthed computer intelligence. I mentioned machine learning and artificial intelligence. What is the definition of nature's intelligence?
Speaker 1: Well, I think the most important thing that I learned in writing this book. I knew what the first section was going to be because I was fascinated with left and right hemisphere of the brain for quite a while. I knew what the second section was going to because I've been fascinated by mccluan and how the human brain adapts to new technologies. I didn't quite like I'd labeled the third shift in consciousness to shift from the age of information to the age of recognition. And what we need to recognize is nature's intelligence and our connection to it. And the woman's visionary that really sealed the deal for me was Lynn mar Goudlis, who's not a very well known name she should be Lynn Mark. Goulis married Carl Sagan when she was a young teenager. They ended up divorced, had a son who she collaborated with the rest of her life. She was a brilliant woman who was getting her PhD during the nineteen sixties when it was unusual for a woman to do that. So she was getting a lot of flak about being a woman in a man's world. Not only that, but she loved men, and she said, they're not going to stop me. She also had a theory that she was determined to prove that was considered controversial.
Speaker 2: She proved it.
Speaker 1: And here's what she proved that if you study ancient microbes, they learned how to collaborate, not with brains, they didn't have individual brains, just through a process called self organization. If you look on the surface of what microbes do, it's a eat or be eaten world, right. They're constantly competing against each other for territory and food. They'll eat each other they have to be avoid being eaten. But if you look under the surface, as she did, she is the one who proved that it was these microbes who figured out photosynthesis, and photosynthesis is the most important technology that was ever invented on this planet, and it was microbes that came up with it. As your listeners know, it's photosynthesis that creates a perfect relationship between plants and animals such as ourselves. Plants, in order to survive, take sunlight and carbon dioxide converted into sugars. That's how they survive. But it produces oxygen, which is toxic to plants. So what do they do. They excrete it out in the air. We need that oxygen, we take that oxygen in. We need to get rid of carbon dioxide. So it's a perfect what they call symbiotic relationship that we get from plants that we need. Plants get from us what they need. But Lynn Margulis proved that it was microbe, well before plants ever existed on this planet, that figured out photosynthesis, and over millions of years, these little tiny micros, by the trillions, were excreted enough oxygen in the air such that the whole atmosphere of the Earth became hospitable to insects, bird, reptiles, mammals and eventually us. So again it's proving that collaboration is the is the main engine of evolution. Here on the planet, and here we are talking to each other, Cliff, on a world wide web where not only can we talk to the people around the world, but the smartphones that we have in our pockets are a million times more powerful than the bank of computers that landed the first person on the moon. So if we can't kicking and screaming with all the noise of the web and all the addictive properties of the web and all the beta doctors on the web, that's all has been true. If we can't with five and a half connected the way we are through a world wide web, with the wisdom that we can on with our smartphones or on our laptops, and I know Alligien wisdom in human history. Expand a little bit on nature minutes away from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, expand if you would please more on the the nature's intelligence. Because our ancestors and also people like the Maya and Native American had traditions of not only sanctifying Gaya, planet Earth, but also working with the intelligence of the water, of the fire, of the earth, of the wind, the four directions. And this was a teacher for these native people, these indigenous people. What have you found in the people that you have on your program is the evidence of working with nature and it's innate intelligence to help us evolve.
Speaker 1: Well, that excellent question ties right into why my book is called The Quantum and the Dream. I'm not a scientist, so my interest in quantum are the psychological and spiritual and philosophical implications of quantum theory. And it turns out that four of the key founders of quantum theory, all of them received Nobel Prizes, were totally fascinated by, interested in and knowledgeable about ancient Eastern primarily spiritual wisdom. And I'll give you an example. The father of quantum theory was Niels Boor, who famously out debated Einstein. THAT'SAWE conferences, and Niels Boor was kind of the ringleader of the quantum group. And quantum uh physics is the most successful scientific theory ever developed. And it's the reason you and I can talk over the World Wide Web right now. Well, when Nils Boor was knighted by the King of Denmark, one of the perks was he got to create his own coat of arms. He chose as the symbol for his coat of arms the yin Young, symbol of the doubt of the doo you're you know, the circle that's divided into black and white, with a spiral connecting them in a little white dot in the black area black. This is an ancient that that talks about flo Oh, which sees the universe not as a series of objects, but a con in celebration of his being knighted for his word and without example, in constant conversation with Carl Jung a big part of my book, who is the most influential psychiath century and ull And they spent two decades convinced that there was a doorway, a connection between the unconscious mind and the quantum realm of existence. And they couldn't prove it, but they were both convinced of it. And if you read the Doubt Chain, or if you read Buddhist texts or Hindu text or Native American texts, you see some of these same kind of sensitivities to the fact that there's there is no block or barrier between the inner mind and the outer world.
Speaker 2: What should we be doing in connecting with nature to us as an individual, to further our evolution and perhaps our consciousness? Why? Because I see a big disconnect with a lot of people who don't really want to go for a walk or want to connect with nation. But what would be your suggestions?
Speaker 1: Okay, two of the smartest people I researched both came up with I thought a good example the irony that we're in in the twenty first century. And of course, anyone who's studied zen or Answent knows that paradoxes are not considered problems. They're considered opportunities to expand our mind. So we're in an interesting paradox at the same time that our brains are being better up by the computer screen and we have to speed our brains up to matchitation, thought experiments, etc. Soally really needed both of those talents. But we need to react brains around the world, whether it's sitting down and slowing down the brainwaves to go from what's called the beta alpha state into the alpha state, which is the flow state. When we're dreaming, we're in the theta brandwith just even deeper. Only the only the most proficient meditators have ever been to be able to get to the theta is so interesting and informative, And so to answer your question, I think we all have to kind of find our own individual path into nature's ways. But there I point to many of them in my book, but they've been handed down to us. Dream work and I talk a lot about that. I'm sure of futen dreamwork, meditation, contemplation, fraud, experiment, I get. I offer thought experiments in the book and encourage people to do them, creative visualization, share your dreams with somebody, share your intuitive insights with somebody. And took note of synchronicities. My book is based on an historic synchronicity. Synchronicities are two or more events which clearly didn't cause each other, but are too meaningfully connected to to be a coincident. And the more we share these things, and now there are websites that are sharing these things, we have access to the connection we need. But we have to get through all of the noise, the trinkets, the advertisers trying to get us to buy stuff we don't need, the bad actors, and we have to get to that part of the web where there are people right now talking like we are about these things. And it's not always obvious because a lot of it is a process called self organization, where it's happening beyond the awareness of us. As individuals. But the more you tap into these things, you see them happening in the world wide web.
Speaker 2: You refer to Sigmund Freud's work on dreams. Why are dreams really critical to be aware of and to perhaps analyze?
Speaker 1: In my book The Quantum and the Dream, I talk about how Freud's publication of the interpretation of dreams in the first year of the Modern Age nineteen hundred changed twentieth century culture, as did Max Planck's discovery of the quantum the same year. But I'm going to bring it up to my two dream teachers that I learned from to answer your question why dreams are important. Jeremy Taylor was my main dream teacher. He was a beautiful spirit. He spent fifty years teaching dreams around the world, and one of his favorite statements was, there's no such thing as a bad dream. All dreams come in the service of health and wholeness, including the nightmares. And so, for example, I think most of us would intuitively say, if we have a nightmare, we want to forget about it. But our nightmares often have the most information for us if we're willing to meet them. They're not come to make us feel bad. They're coming to wake us up, kind of like a zend master, you know, splashing water in our face when we ask a rational question. I'd be happy to give an example. It was my dream teacher's favorite example of a nightmare that changed history. Can I give it to you? Yeah? Yeah. So in the mid nineteenth century a lot of the top engineers in England were working on an efficient selling machine. They couldn't really get it efficient, and one of those was Elias Howe, and like everyone else, he couldn't get it to work properly. He fell asleep one night and had the following horrific nightmare. He's being chased by cannibals in a jungle. They capture him, they tie his hands behind his back. They bring him back to the village and put him in a big pot of water and put a fire under it, and he's literally boiling. But he realizes that as the water is getting hotter, it's loosening the ropes keeping his hands, and when he's able to free his hands, he grabs the side of the of the pot to get out the cauldron, and the cannibals push their spears into his chest and push him back in and then he grabs another part to try to get out, and the spear goes in his chest and pushes him back in, and he wakes up in a total sweat. So no order to get propsiking.
Speaker 2: So he said, what the heck?
Speaker 1: He goes into his home laboratory. He refigures the gear system so that the thread goes through a hole near the point, and he invented the first efficient selling machine. So, Cliff, it's fair to say that you and I and all of your listeners who are in close right now are a debt of gratitude to that nightmare of Elias.
Speaker 2: How we're going to take a short commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves, and we will return shortly with my guest today, Douglas Grunther, discussing his new book, The Quantum and the Dream. Will be right back. My guest today is author Douglas Grunther, who has written a new book called The Quantum and the Dream, Visionary Consciousness and Audio, Official Intelligence and the New Renaissance. And we're discussing what the evolution of consciousness is beginning to look like. So you're saying that we need to pay more attention to our dreams because they are could be leading us to a better life, answering more questions that we are curious about. And uh, it's a it's an important part of consciousness that we're not that the majority of people are not paying enough attention to.
Speaker 1: And what I would say is, I mean, my I love dreams. But okay, we talked about left and right hemisphere. This all gets connected because we now know through MRI and EEG machines that when we dream, this information coming from the unconscious just coming to I would say, give us a bigger picture of who we are individually and collectively. And we need a bigger picture right now because that's whatever seeks it seeks. It seeks novelty and more complex forms of collaboration. We now have a world wide web for that, but we have to expand our consciousness to figure out how to use it most effectively. We now know that that information when we dream comes through into the right hemisphere of the brain. Why because it's our right hemisphere that is wired to deal with mystery, expansiveness, new visions, and uncertainty. It's the left hemisphere that can only operate when it feels it can get a very clear certain answer, and as your listeners will know, the big questions in life, including many of the questions we're facing now in the twenty first century, don't have clear certain answers. We need to expand are the way we think about things in order to arrive at them, and our dreams are one of the best ways to do that, but there are other ways. When Albert Einstein discovered the theory of relativity, he wasn't working like his colleagues in a sophisticated laboratory. He wasn't working at a university. He wasn't admitted into an advanced studies but he did thought experiments. His knew the unusual, the mystical, what we don't go in knowing about, and what we can never be certain about. But we can use our intuitions and our imagination to get to and our culture has been primarily in our educational system is focused on rationality and logic. They have their place, but guess what. AI computers are better at finding information, putting it together in a concise form, and analyzing it. Computers are already better at that than we are. We're needed for the right hemisphere work that computers can't do, which are leaps of imagination. What separates us from computers as we are sentient, that means we feel emotion. Computers can imitate emotions, but they can't feel emotions. And it's the right hemisphere of our brains that are wired. If we do it right, we'll we'll go to the right hemisphere. About computers do the left hemisphere work because they're already better at us than us. And that's why in my book I call for human intelligence plus computer intelligence plus nature's intelligence gets us to the next renaissance. Most of the fear about computers is we're gonna have to compete against them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cyboards, the the totals again. Yeah, the AI is going to be over running ass, isn't it.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's going on out there.
Speaker 1: It's you know, when you start talking too much right hemisphere, the cultures get a little nervous.
Speaker 2: I don't have this problem. Typically, I'm thinking that you got some residual storm damage to your internet.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't, I mean I have I know it's uh out the proper wiring, et cetera. But we're back, okay, so let me follow up.
Speaker 2: Let me let me follow up. Uh, you actually write in your book about using chat gb PT on your program, you'll ask it a question and then kind of discuss it on your show, talk about that and what the significance is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you brought that up. So these chat bots are amazing. You can ask it a question and it will. You could say, okay, compose a ten page essay on the connection between the Italian Renaissance and the time we're living here in the twenty first century, and in a matter of seconds, it'll do it. It'll be a pretty intelligent ten page paper. So what I did was I asked it to do like write two power that. The chatbot can do what it does so quickly and intelligently, but it doesn't really flow. And I said, okay, but watch this. Computers can not be mystical and virtual. They're not programmed. They don't have the kid that's our job. So chatbots are great because they can give us information quickly. But as I point out, the third shift in my book is from the age of information to the age of recognition. We have all the information we need, or we have access yes to all the information we need. As I point out, our smartphones in our laptops or a million times more powerful than the bank of computers that landed the first person on the Moon. It's not lack of information, it's lack of insight. That's our job as humans. What does insight mean? To cite in And one of the analogies I show is the Italian Renaissance was kickstarted in a large part by Galileo peering out into his telescope to the heavens and seeing for the first time that the Earth is not the center of the universe. That we'll want a number of planets circular, you know, and create science, which was a whole new way of looking in the twenty first century. I'm saying, it's one sigma fort Pobaloleos telescope and point it inward to our unconscious and the creative levels of our minds that the ancient narratives and Eastern spiritual teachers were very in tune with, as you point out, which is why, as you point out on your website, there's a good deal of wisdom that has been handed down from the past. The next stage in evolution is to take it and move it forward. So we need to take that telescope that looks out and turn it around and focus more on what's going on in our inner life, in the inner part of the human psyche. And that was the work of Carl Jung, and that was the fascination of the quantum theorists who were all interested in that inner work. That was what Einstein did when he did thought experiments. By the way, Einstein is quoted as saying his entire career was based on a dream he had when he was eleven years old. Put down that dream, and I discussed that in my book, The Quantum and the Dream. So the evidence is there. Logic and rationality have gotten us a long way, but we're now more needed for intuition, inspiration, imagination, creative visualization. These are the tools of the right hemisphere and the computer screen. The digital screen, if we use it correctly, can enhance it. And I'll give you an example. But here's a thought experiment. Let's say you and I wanted to learn more about Saturn's rings. We could go to a library, and because of the Dewey decimal system, which is left hemisphere organization, we know with certainty we can go to the science section, astronomy section, and in the astronomy section, we're going to find books on Saturn. Right if we want to find out if there was ever an advertising campaign just on the print and ask us as advertising, and I'd be willing to bet you there would be. That was a right hemisphrarean fine? But I found them in five seconds through my search engine on the digital screen. That's the kind of power that's potentially available to us if we use it correctly.
Speaker 2: So give us a sense of what the future looks like. Are we going to have a different education system or not so reliant on memorization. Maybe we're looking at classes and intuition, meditative states and using the higher functions of the brain. Give us a sense.
Speaker 1: Sure. One of the things I wrote about my book I've been waiting to write about for about fifty years. I was coming back from my first semester in college, which is I looked in suburbs of New Jersey. I went to school at Columbia in New York City, so I was about fifteen minutes from home. And as I'm driving home, I happened to pass by the grade school I went to, and I stopped and I had one of those aha moments. I looked at this brick building, the kind of brick school that we still see all over the place today. Right, two stories, very linear, and I went, oh my god, it's a factory. And I did a little research. It looks like a factory. That's intentional. The school system we still have here in the twenty first century in the United States is based on a nineteenth century Russian model that was meant for the industrial age. The school systems were set up as factories because they wanted to teach people to be good factory workers. Okay, now, think of how we were educated. We were rewarded for working memory. If they gave us something, we had to learn it, memorize it, and feed it back. Right, that's working memory. Well, computers can do that better than we can by far. What's going to change. What has to change is the fact that our educational system, kicking and screaming kids and parents are not going to be satisfied with sitting in a factory modeled school classroom for seven hours, being forced to memorize stuff and regurgitate it back when in their pockets is a smartphone giving them access to the most interesting things on the planet. So I think what we're going to see is an integration of homeschooling and public schooling where small groups meet, parents are involved. They meet in places where there's a big digital screen where they can access something really fascinating, and kids are going to be taught that with the digital screen they can pursue their greatest interest. The word education clip has an interesting derivation. It comes from the Latin word edukara, which means to draw out our educational system. I think you would agree is about thing in you have to take what they give you and give it back to them in a way that they is appropriate a true educational system. And there are some examples. There's Waldorf school calls and some interesting creative systems out there, not not enough of them where the purpose is to draw out of So for example, I didn't like bedding average compares to other batting averages from the past and the present, and I would have done the math. Happily, we're going to see more of that. We're going to see education slowly but surely go to the root meaning of the word, which is to draw out of each of us what is of interest, rather than stuff into it something that we have to repeat in order to get a good grade and the digital screen gives all of us right now as adults, because I think we're on the planet here to learn. We should always be learning, and I can't wait every day to get on the on the screen and figure something interesting to find out about and pursue it.
Speaker 2: That's why there's a huge addiction for TikTok and UH YouTube and all these other channels. The books called The Quantum and the Dream, Visionary, Visionary Consciousness AI and the New Renaissance. My guest today has been Douglas Grunther Well, who's this book for?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: And who did you target this for?
Speaker 1: Oh? Thanks for asking, because a phrase came to me yesterday, which is the right hemisphere of the brain is the ultimate playground round for interesting ideas and new visions. Our dreams love to play with us. Uh, even even the tricky ones, the the horrifying ones, the confusing ones. Their play Uh, you know kind of why he can never find the same He never could find a pair of socks that matched. The right hemisphere is the part of our brain wired to play with interesting ideas, to develop new ways of steeing ourselves in the world. So my book is for people who want to start accessing that that part of their brain which evolution gave to us to both be more playful, more insightful, and to get a better sense of how we connect to each other and to nature. Yes, a lot of life is competition. We're still fighting too many wars, but underneath that is a drive towards more interesting ways to collaborate with each other, to brainstorm with each other. And we now have technology that makes that more possible than any time in human history. It's our job to use it effectively, creatively and to help bring about the next renaissance.
Speaker 2: So the book's called The Quantum and the Dream, and my guess it has been Douglas Grunther and he can. You can get the book now, just came out. It's available on Amazon, give us your website.
Speaker 1: Sure, Douglas Grunter dot com, Barnes and Noble. It can be ordered at pretty much any bookstore. I really appreciate the time, and uh, I appreciate your show, Cliff, because we're on the same we're in the same wavelength. We believe there is the next stage and evolution, and I think part of it to get there is going to be that you know what we we have to we have to have as good a time as we can do in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Hey, Doug, much success on this new book, and thanks for joining me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate being a guest on on your podcast. And let's bring about the next renaissance.
Speaker 2: That's great, all right, cheers, thank you. A lot of good mercils in that interview. Unfortunately we had to cut it short. We lost our connection and it was just really a challenge to do any kind of internet work at all, and we do typically we do zoom in our interviews.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And his book just came out. It's The Quantum and the Dream Douglas Grunther. You can see it on Amazon. It's available right now and it's got a lot of good material in it, so check it out.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 2: We have one last tour this year. It's our Sacred Temples of Mexico. It's coming up November eighth through the seventeenth. We're just about ready to cut off the registrations, so if you want to join us to go to earth Ancients dot com forward slash tours. If you're heard in that interview, we are talking about ancient wisdom and traditions when you go to Mexico, specifically the Yucatan portion of Mexico, it is just covered with unique ruins. Most people know about the chichen Itza or Coba or Tuloom. We're gonna stay on the Meredith side, which is on the west side, and the temples and the pyramids there are much more spectacular. I think. You can go see Ushmol. You can see Ekbalam, which is really a very very ancient site, as well as the Puk Trail which contains Sail Labna, and a couple of other sites that we haven't seen in a while. For more information on all of our tours, including this tour coming up in November, go to Earthacients dot com, forward slash Tours and check it out. All right, that's it for this program. I want to think my guest today Douglas Grunther and his new book, The Quantum and the and the Dream. As always, the team of Gail Tour, Mark Foster and everyone who makes this thing happen. You guys rock. All right, take care here, be well, and we will talk to you next time. Everybody's not