Speaker 1: It's nice eyes with Dan Ray.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you crazy Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Thanks very much, Madison. My name's Dan Ray, host the night Side, and I will get you through the weekend. Well. For me, the weekend has not started because my weekend doesn't start until eleven fifty eight tonight, which I designate the official start of the weekend. For those of you who are driving somewhere, you've already started your weekend, so you're ahead of me by about four hours. But that's okay. Stay with me and I will get us all the way till Saturday morning. We have an interesting program coming up tonight, I promise you. The Tough Student has just been released down in Louisiana. We'll talk about that case, Ramesa Oor's Turk. She still faces some immigration challenges, but she is out of the detention center in Louisiana. And we'll talk tonight with Bruce Mittman, general partner and see of Community Broadcasters, and we're going to discuss the value and the importance of radio with a specific emphasis on AM radio, and tonight at eleven o'clock during the twentieth hour, we'll do a tribute to your mom, to all moms of our Mother's Day or annual Mother's Day edition. But we have four interesting guests to talk to in this hour, and we will be starting off with a State House news reporter, Ella Adams. Hi, Ella, welcome to Nightside. Thanks for hanging out with us for a few minutes here on Friday night. How are you by, Anne.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well. Thanks much for having.
Speaker 1: Me well, yeah, thank you very much. There's an interesting piece up there. I did not realize until I read your story today that there's this piece of wheelchair legislation, a wheelchair bill up at the House, and this is one I'm wondering, why is it taking so long to do something with this. I didn't realize that people who had wheelchairs, we're really having a tough time getting them repaired in a timely fashion.
Speaker 3: Tell us about it, Yeah, definitely, you know, Dan, I didn't really have a great idea about that either. Just you know, a bit over a week ago, the Joint Committee on Consumer Protection up on Beacon Hill, they held a hearing addressing a couple of bills that you're talking about that would address, you know, different ways the wheelchair repair system in Massachusetts and wheelchair users are struggling they've been talking a lot about, you know, feeling like they can't really live their lives. They're losing independence every time they have to wait for their wheelchairs to be repaired for extended periods of time. There's talk about the kind of structural issues in that wheelchair repair system. And there are two bills, a House bill and a Senate bill that both would kind of God would dress those.
Speaker 1: The problem is that they got to reconcile these pieces of legislation. So let's break them out. What does the first bill address? And I guess there's a question of how quickly the wheelchairs are repaired. And there was one woman I believe that you quoted in your article who said that once her wheelchair was unavailable, she was confined to bed for was it eleven days? That seems like an extraordinarily long period of time. This is an essential piece of apparatus that these folks need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and I believe one of the wheelchair users called it a crisis of equity. You know, nearly all of wheelchair users crowded into the State House hearing room and they were also testifying virtually, and they did talk about that, you know, when their wheelchairs break, they're unable to go to work, to doctor's appointments, they're stuck in the middle of the sidewalk, stranded in bed because they're waiting for weeks, in many cases months to get them repaired. So the first bill that i'll you know, i'll talk about the Senate bill. It's not new, but it was passed by the Senate last session.
Speaker 4: It died in the.
Speaker 3: House, and we can get to that infect. But that one focuses on the issue in terms of extending wheelchair warranties. So it would extend warranties to two years, require that an assessment of those broken wheelchairs is done within certain periods of time. And the second bill is a House bill, and that one is new, and that takes a little bit of a different approach. It would put an exact timeline on those wheelchair repairs, requires that they're made no later le than ten business days after that date of request.
Speaker 1: That still doesn't solve the problem though, because if a wheelchair goes down and someone is truly reliant on the wheelchair, that means they are their house bound. They're going to be housebound unless they have a replacement wheelchair. Now, if if I have to bring my automobile into an automobile repair shop, in most cases I might be able to get for them a courtesy car to drive for a few days. More worst case scenario, they will transport me to a local rent a car place and I can then rent a car. Why is there not something similar for people who Why why are they not replacement wheelchairs that all of these places that repair wheelchairs, why don't they have some replacement wheelchairs that they can if they have to rent them out, okay, but at least make them available to me. The analogy between how much I depend on my car, you know, I and someone depends on a wheelchair is virtually identical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and I think that that's an interesting that is a good point, you know, I think that is what these advocates and these users are of bringing up. You know, there are systems in Massachusetts to get people loner wheelchairs. It's an issue of you know, they were talking about there aren't enough people to repair those wheelchairs. The system doesn't move fast enough. And you know, loaner chairs are not the exact same thing in some in a lot of cases, as you know, someone's primary chair that they use and so, you know, I think it's really interesting. There were a couple of voices of opposition in this hearing as well to these bills, and I think that kind of shed some light on, you know, why maybe the Senate bill has it wasn't able to make it to the finish line last session, or maybe why this is still a contract.
Speaker 1: What what preytale did the voices of opposition have to say?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so one of those voices was the executive director of the National Coalition for Assistive and Rehab Technology. That's a national nonprofit advocates for people who rely on technology and equipment like wheelchairs. And he didn't all out, you know, say that these bills should not pass. He acknowledged the system needs to be addressed. His concern was on the to your warranty right now, as he explained it. You know, these this equipment is on you know, six to thirteenth month warranties. He's worried that the wear and tear on this equipment will mean that manufacturers just they can't expand their warranty limits to meet those two years because they buy pieces like batteries and tires from other companies and those parts have to constantly be redesigned and expanded over time. So that was what he was talking about, and that gives an idea of you know what from that perspective, you know, the manufacturing standpoint. He was talking a lot about how he's been in conversation with lawmakers and consumers and Ma's health, which a lot of these wheelchair users are on about how to kind of finagle the system to make it so that it works better for people, but also address that warranty concern.
Speaker 1: Wow, something like this seems to me we're negotiating like an anti nuclear agreement with Iran. I would think that that compared to that, this should be something that they should be able to solve, even at Beacon Hill. I mean, is it's interesting. It's interesting that something like this that we in Massachusetts, who consider ourselves to be such an enlightened state. I'm not trying to put you on the spot here, Ella, that's for sure. You've explained it so well. I just don't understand why, in twenty twenty five we have reached this point. And I would think that there would be some statisticians somewhere who would know precisely the number of people in Massachusetts who rely on wheelchairs, either full time or part time. How many replacement wheelchairs we would need, you know, for the for the vast majority of those people. This is one that think, I just look, any one of us could be in a wheelchair tomorrow. Ellen, would you be kind enough to keep us posted on this. I'd maybe like to do a story some night on this because I this to me is intolerable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I absolutely we'll keep you posting on this. Why I will be keeping and looking for looking at those bills, seeing how they progress through the legislature. If they progress, can definitely keep you posted.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it, Ella, I really do, because I used to cover the State House a lot, and I know that all they need to do is refer one of these bills to the subcommittee to study and that's it. And this one really does affect a lot of people, and a lot of people critically, and this is one that I'd like to fight for and I'd like to get some of the manufacturers, get the people on my show. You've given me great ideas and I'm going to bring you back to Ella. You did a great job. You're a good reporter. Thank you. You explained that so effectively, you won't be at the State Hell, You're going to be at the New York Times of the Boston Globe before you know or trust me, Oh Dan, I mean, I mean it. I've been around a long time. I can spot a reporter who is talented and who can explain it, and you are excellent. So thanks so much for coming on tonight, and I'll write a resume for you to anywhere. They're not going to want to lose you. You'll be able to get a better deal at the State House News. You did a great job. Thank you very much. I'm kidding. I'm not kidding with you at all, and I'm saying that from my heart that you did a great job. Thank you for explaining this story as well as you did. We'll talk.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You're more than welcome on back soon. Thanks. I'll appreciate it. All Right, we get back. We're going to talk about the twenty ninth, sadly twenty ninth Annual Mother's Day Walk for Peace hosted by the Lewis D. Brown Peace Institute. We're familiar with this, We've covered this for many years, and once again the women and I hope some men will be out there with them. But it's the twenty ninth annual Mother's Day Walk for Peace. We'll come back with Alexander Cherry Durellis. She's the co executive director of the Lewis D. Brown Pieces Toute. My name is Dan Ray. This is night Side, going to take you all the way through the end of Friday night right up to Saturday morning. Coming back on Nightside, Stick with us.
Speaker 2: Hid night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio. Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZY, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Heh welcome back everyone, Night'side on a Friday night. This, of course is Mother's Day weekend, and for the twenty ninth year, the annual Mother's Day Walk for Peace, hosted by the Lewis D. Brown Peace Institute, will kick off this weekend with us is the co executive director of the Lewis D. Brown Peace Institute, Alexandra Sherry Durreles. Alexandra, welcome, How are you this evening? Hi?
Speaker 4: Dan, I'm well, Thank you for having me, How are you well?
Speaker 1: Welcome back. I'm doing great and again you folks are are once again doing this for those who are to the area give us the brief history of this tremendous event, which was founded in a horrific set of circumstances.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we were. The walk was founded in nineteen ninety six by my mother, Clementina Sherry, who is also the founder of the Lewis D. Brown Peace Institute, after my brother Lewis was murdered in nineteen ninety three in December on his way to a teen's against Gang Violence Christmas party. You know, after Lewis's murder, my mother asked questions, how am I supposed to celebrate Mother's Day? What My oldest child is dead and I have two living children, and she really wanted to continue to be there for us, but still felt, you know, this tremendous loss and knew that there were other mothers out there who had to be experiencing the same thing as her, and so she, you know, started a walk that wasn't inten to be very big. It was just an opportunity to engage city officials in honoring mothers on Mother's Day who have lost their loved ones. And then it grew to something so much bigger. It's an annual tradition in Boston. Now everybody sort of gets ready for it, and we have people coming in from all over the country to celebrate Mother's Day and to know to grieve together and to continue to heal together.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about it. When does the march kick off and give us a rough idea of how long it is? And I assume that everyone is welcome and it's a march that virtually everyone can.
Speaker 4: Participate it absolutely, So it's Sunday, May eleventh. We start the speaking program at eight am in Townfield Park in Dorchester. That's in a small community called Field's Corner and it is a five k it's about three point two miles and we are just doing sort of a loop around Dorchester. So we start in the field and then we're gonna walk the streets of Dorchester and end up right back in the field. And you know, while the while the founding and who we're honoring on Mother's Day are survivors of homicide victims, we also welcome supporters, friends, We welcome you know, families whose loved ones have been incarcerated for murder. We really are It really is a day of unity because you know, violence has no borders and survivorship has no boundaries. Also, you know, we're all survivors of something in our own right, So.
Speaker 1: That's that's what I knew of as the Dorchester Town field where you're assembling, right, Yeah, perfect location. I can't tell you how many baseball games I played on that field when I was much younger than you.
Speaker 4: Participated in some of the those games too.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a lot of memories where I got I was a picture got lit up there. So you know, not every night is a success, but this, this this march is always a success. And what a tribute to the memory of your brother. It is just it's an instant, it's an institution. Your family has stayed strong over the years, and you have extended your family. How many people have over the years participated. There must be some sort of a wild estimate, And I'm wondering how many folks if we get the weather that we're promised it's supposed to be good weather on Sunday for a change, keep our fingers crossed, say a prayer, yes you will. What do you hope what do you hope to get in terms of a turnout this Sunday?
Speaker 4: You think a couple of thousands yeah, yeah, exactly a few thousand people. We've estimated between thirty five hundred to five thousand people a good day.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We we have a fundraising goal of six hundred thousand and we are just under five hundred thousand, so we have a ways to go, okay, and we're hoping, you know, we're hoping that day of we'll really kick up those Okay.
Speaker 1: So what about if there are people who are listening right now who maybe can attend the march. I hope you have a website they could, they could click on make a donation. Okay, let's have that ahead, so you can.
Speaker 4: They can find us at Mother's Day Walk for Peace dot org. And that's the number four. So Mother's Day Walk the number four, Peace dot org.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to do that nice and slow because that's important. People are grabbing for pins. It's there's no apostrophes here. Whenever we do these. It's Mother's m O T H E R S D A y W A O K. So Mother's Day Walk that's probably lowercase, I assume, or is it.
Speaker 7: Case sensus lowercase.
Speaker 1: Mother's Day Walk the numeral four Peace p e a CE dot org. Donations are tax deductible. If you're a dot org I assume you're a five O one C three.
Speaker 4: Yes we are.
Speaker 1: So this is this is going to be a great event. It's it is such a great way to celebrate Mother's Day. And your's been instrumental in this. You turned a horrific tragedy into something really positive for the city of Boston.
Speaker 4: So thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Please you so so kind of you to be available and best of luck on Sunday.
Speaker 4: And hope, thank you for having me. I hope to see you there.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you, I we just had a baby, granddaughter, a less than two weeks ago, so we have some family plans. Other than that, I'll be I would be there, so I'm not gonna.
Speaker 7: Lie to yet.
Speaker 4: We'll fill your spirit your energy there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'm with you totally. Thanks so much, little girl named woman, Sweet Caroline. Ben's Alexandra.
Speaker 4: All right, okay, take care of Dan.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's Alexander. To talk to you soon when we get back. A really fun story about a team of soccer grannies grandma's who are just back from an international football tournament in South Africa. No, that's not American football. That's soccer. We're going to talk with one of the leading one of the local Massachusetts soccer team players, author of a book, Soccer Granny's The South African Women who Inspire the World. We're going to talk with Gene Duffy. Come on right back on Nightside.
Speaker 2: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. Hey, Dan Boston's News Radio. You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, now, we have a really interesting guest. Uh, all of us know about sports and athletics and how we like to play sports. In athletics, a lot of people play pickleball and things like that, particularly as you get a little older. Well, I want to introduce you to a member of the Massachusetts The New England Breakers play in Granny's international football tournaments. I'm confused here, Geene Duffy, is that the New England Breakers? Is it the Grannies. I know you're pretty good soccer players. Tell us this story, which is going to be I believe this is going to be a cover story in the Boston Globe magazine.
Speaker 9: Correct, last sun It was in the Globe magazine last Sunday.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I thought it was yet to be in there. Now you are a player on the team, and I'm not going to tell your age, but like many of us, you were definitely on the wrong side of fifty. Like I am.
Speaker 6: That's it all right?
Speaker 1: Do we leave it at That's how I phrase it. And you've written a book called Soccer Granny's The South African Women who Inspire the World. This kind of connects, I believe with the tournament that these these women from Massachusetts played in in April helped me out here and unravel all of this.
Speaker 9: Okay, well, the story, I guess it goes back to when I started playing soccer and I was standing on the sidelines in Lexington, outside of Boston and watching my daughters play, and I said, hey, that looks like fun.
Speaker 5: I'm already a runner.
Speaker 9: Surely I can run and chase a soccer ball. And I fortunately, I found a group of women just starting up, and in no time I was hooked. I found it was such a fun way to exercise. I forgot about my to do list for that hour. And now, twenty years later, they're among some of my best friends. And I know there were a team in South Africa that started up just a few years after I did. But these women were even older, in their forties to eighties, you know, they started exercising for their health. And one day some boys kicked the soccer ball in front of them and they were They kicked the ball and it went off in a crazy direction, and Becca, who was organizing the group, said, showed them grandmothers how to kick the ball. And so after you know, a half hour of running and kicking, they were like, who like this, We want to keep playing. So there's kind of the parallel stories of women in Africa and women here in the US playing soccer.
Speaker 1: And so you did not know about them, but at some point you must have heard about them and you decided, boy, this would be great to go play a game in Africa. So you've have you been there two years now to play games?
Speaker 9: Yeah. So actually it goes back to twenty ten when South Africa was hosting the FIFA World Cup and the group of the team there in South Africa had just been playing a few years at that point, but running around in their skirts ticking the soccer ball. They were the perfect human interest story associated with the World Cup. So reporters were flocking there to show their story. And my team saw one of those news links, and you know, we're like, wow, even though we could tell our lives must be very different, we could tell also that they loved the same thing about the game that we did. And they were so inspiring because they were forty to eighty years old, you know, even older than our players.
Speaker 1: So how many times have you gone over there to play soccer?
Speaker 9: Yeah, So once reached out to them in twenty ten, invited them to come to the United States States, and they did. They came here to Boston and played in the Massachusetts Adults. They played in an adult soccer tournament that was held here in Massachusetts, oh, twenty eleven. Some of my teammates were there. And that's what the book is about. It covers, you know that twenty and twenty eleven, the initial interaction with us, and I did a lot of research about the South Africa and the historical and political pressures that impacted the lives of the women and what soccer meant to them.
Speaker 1: So why were you most recently back. It sounds to me like you've been back in the last well, it sounds like you were there in April.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was there this April.
Speaker 10: And.
Speaker 1: You're correct me if I'm wrong, but that's last month.
Speaker 9: Yes, it is. It is. Yeah, So I'm more.
Speaker 1: Excited about this than you are at this point, Jane, tell me all about it, Okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: So when the team came over here in twenty ten, the founder of this team, this woman by the name of Becanetsunrici, who's a community activist and just a wonderful person who's made amazing differences in her community fighting poverty and AIDS and etc.
Speaker 9: She said, you know, I have a dream. I want to host before I die, of Granny's World Cup and have teams from around the world come together. So this was a dream she expressed in twenty ten, and it was in twenty twenties. The pandemic got in the way a little bit of carrying it out. But in twenty twenty three she had this first tournament and we took three teams from Boston at that point, all women over at fifty in our fifties, sixties, and seventies, and competed. And then now two years later she hosted a second tournament and we had two teams this time and players fifty to sixty seventies and eighties.
Speaker 1: So what are the teams grouped in terms of age or is there a I mean I realized that looked there's a difference between a person who's fifty years of age and a person who's eighty or is it a complete team? You know, doesn't matter what age you are, you remember the team whether you're fifty, sixty, seventy, or eighty. How's that work?
Speaker 9: Yeah, So for this tournament, over fifty was the requirement. Women over fifty. So that's you know, we just formed teams, tried to balance our two teams. But you know, for other tournaments in the United States, there are you know, categories over fifty five, over sixty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I figure. So how'd you do on this most recent tournament, the one last month in April of twenty twenty Five's the question? I'll repeat, how did you do in the tournament last month? Not that winning or losing is all that matters, but I'd love to know if if you how you did?
Speaker 9: Yeah. So, Uh, the two US teams, which are the Breakers and the Soccer Sisters, we played each other in the semifinals, huh, And I was on the Soccer Sister's team, and it was actually the Breakers who went on to win that game. And to win the finals.
Speaker 1: So so a team from Massachusetts won the whole the whole nine yards.
Speaker 6: They did. They did great.
Speaker 1: That's that's important. And this this has to be a great experience, a great bonding experience. Well, thank you for sharing this with us. I'm going to go back, and somehow I missed the Sunday. I read the article today, but I read it online. And sometimes with the goal the articles appear online and are published subsequently, and sometimes it goes the other way. So I missed the Sunday magazine last weekend. It was kind of a busy weekend around around the house. We've just had it. We haven't had but our son and his wife have just had a granddaughter, and so we were focused. I wasn't focused much on the Sunday Legacy last weekend. Thank you so much. I appreciated your time, Jane, and keep playing soccer.
Speaker 9: Okay, all right, thank you very much, Jane.
Speaker 1: Have a great night. Good night. When we get back, we have an interview with the gentleman whose name is Bob Schick. He's from Walpole and he has a story to tell us. He's a former high school classmate of Pope Leo. The fourteenth. This is an amazing story. We'll talk about it with Bob Schick of Walpole, Massachusetts right after the break.
Speaker 2: Night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 11: Celebrate Mother's Day weekend with Shan Yun at the Prominence Performing Arts Center, May tenth and eleventh. Don't miss your chance to experience a breathtaking journey through five thousand years of Chinese culture filled with beauty, wisdom, and drama. Now's the perfect time to treat mom and yourself to the show and make this Mother's Day unforgettable. Oscar winner Kate Blanchette calls it exquisitely beautiful, an extraordinary experience. World renowned motivator Tony Robbins called Shenyune magnificent and highly recommends it to anyone. Discover why Shenyune can't perform in China yet captivates millions worldwide tickets at Shenyune dot com. That's She and Yuun dot com. Shen Yune, see it once, cherish it forever.
Speaker 12: Water damage happens fast, so can the cleanup. When you call on the restoration specialists of one eight hundred serve pro to help make it like it never even happened. That's one eight hundred. Serve Pro franchises are independently owned and operated.
Speaker 13: There are Boston Celtics, take on the New York Knicks, and you can be there. Ace Ticket has the best seats at the lowest prices. ACE Ticket is the official ticket partner of the Boston Red Sox. You'll always save money buying from Boston's local source for tickets. Best of all, we don't charge ticket fees. That's right, we don't charge ticket fees. The price you see is the price you pay. So treat yourself for someone special. Call one eight hundred my seats or visit ace Ticket.
Speaker 7: Countertops installed in one day, Yes they do. Call Bill Shays and Quincy. Yep, that Bill Shay's call. The company so serious about countertops that they put it in their name, Bill Shay's Countertops. When you say, says you make your new counter tops.
Speaker 8: We at Ivy Real Estate have been serving people throughout New England for many years. It's important that they have our values and standards. That's why we partner with Smaller Insurance.
Speaker 7: When it comes to insurance, go smaller, Smaller.
Speaker 10: And dot com If you need to hire it seems like the whole process can be exhausting. You search resumes, wait for the right candidates to apply, set up initial interviews. It's a lot of time and work. Well, what if you could meet with qualified candidates for your job the very next day? Now you can with zip Intro from ZipRecruiter, and right now you can try it for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash free. Zip intro is super easy to use. You simply pick a time and it does all the work of finding and scheduling qualified candidates for you. Then you can choose who you want to talk to and meet with great people on back to back video calls as soon as the next day. Best of all, you save time and energy.
Speaker 14: Try zip intro for free right now at this exclusive web address, ZipRecruiter dot com slash free. Zip intro post jobs today, talk to qualified candidates tomorrow once again. Go to ZipRecruiter dot com slash free to try it for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash free.
Speaker 2: It's nice side with Dan Ray on w B Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Well, for those of you who were not watching television yesterday and maybe living in a cave somewhere the Catholic Church has a new pope. His name is Pope Leo the fourteenth. Joining us now is not Pope Leo the fourteenth, but joining us is a gentleman by the name of Bob Schick from Walpole, Massachusetts, who, believe it or not, is a former high school classmate of the new pope, Pope Leo the fourteenth, who back in the day was Robert Francis Prevot. If I pronounced his name correctly, I always don't. I'm not sure, Bob, if it's Prevot or Prevost.
Speaker 6: That's actually a really good question, because back when I was in school with him, he was Prevost, and I've been hearing everybody on the national news referring to him as Prevost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well maybe because is what a pope. Maybe they're assuming he's going to be doing a lot of praying as a pope. I don't know. Well, Bob, welcome to Nightside. Thanks for joining us tonight. I'm sure that you have been a sought after interviewee in the last few days, the last couple of days, for sure. Tell us you and he went to high school in Michigan. So this is kind of a little bit of a complicated story, but I think it's going to be fun. Tell us how you happen to cross paths with the future Pope.
Speaker 6: Well, we were both attending a school called Saint Augustine's Seminary. It was a high school up near Holland, Michigan, and it was where high school aged boys who thought that they might have a location to the Catholic priesthood. Ye went to school. It was a boarding school, and when I was a freshman, Bob Prevost was there as a senior.
Speaker 1: So how much so, look, I'm very familiar. I happen to be Catholic. So you got the big speech from the nuns many years ago. So we all got that, okay, But as they say, many have called, but few were chosen. So even if we were really called Bob, I think it wasn't necessarily neither were you were I. But that's okay. So Bob Privo obviously followed this, uh, and which is great. How much interaction did you have with them? As I understand that he was a really good bowler, He was an excellent bowler, and I'm told by someone who knows that he has taken up and is a very accomplished trombone player. Did you see any evidence of that back in your days in high school?
Speaker 6: I do not remember him playing the trombone. Iye bowled, and he bowled and his team actually won the school championship. How big his accomplishment? Yea, at the time in school, we're pretty significant. He was the student body president, he was a valedictorian. He was out standing on the speech and debate team. He was on the spirit club. He's very involved and very good at all the things that he tackled.
Speaker 1: Did you get well, speaking of tackle, did you guys have a football team? Per chance? I suspect probably not, but did you.
Speaker 6: Well, we did not, and we all we had that played against other schools in the area was a basketball team and a baseball team. This is a school, it's a high school. So all four years freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, we had a total of one hundred students.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I'm very very fru you're in Walpole. My son went to Roxbury Latin School, which is not a Catholic school, but it is as it's a school that it was an episcoal minister named a Tony Jarvis, Reverend Jarvis, who was the head master and they, uh, that was big. It broughts me flat and bigger, but not all that much bigger. So so basically you were there for a year with him. Now you're a freshman, a first year student. He's a senior. Uh, and obviously he's a big man on campus at that point if he's a valedictorian and all of that. Pretty good guy to deal with back in the day, or there was always that sort of stratus strata in high school. The seniors don't talk to the juniors, and the juniors ignore the sophomores, and the sophomores don't even recognize the freshman or because obviously everybody was responding to us a potentially similar call. Was it a different sort of interaction.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't think there was really something that existed at our school. I would call it much more of a brotherhood collegial.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: My contacts with prevots and a few of the other seniors was that they were really supportive of us because they realized that us freshmen are living away from home for the very first time. I mean, we only went home for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, and it can be tough to be away from home at that young age, and they recognize that, and Bob in particular stood out as somebody who was really supportive and really helped people out. It was I think it has been his nature to be a service.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: He was also in the National Honor Society, which meant as a part of being in the NHS, you do a lot of mentoring of students that you know could do some help. Jeff, I believe he went on to major in math at Villanova. But now there's a picture of helping somebody by, you know, putting some drawings on the chalkboard and helping them through the lessons. And that was the impress out of him that he was really out to make life easier at a tough time for a lot of a freshman.
Speaker 1: Well, what you've just described Bob more eloquently than probably I would have described it as a leader, someone who led. My example, this would have been he is now sixty nine years of age, so you're a little younger than he is. I'm trying to do the math. He was born in fifty five, so you guys would have been going off to your first year at this school to figure out whether or not you actually had a vocation, probably, you said, in the ninth grade, which would probably make you thirteen or fourteen years old. So he probably got there around nineteen sixty eight and got out in seventy two, I'm guessing. And you probably got there.
Speaker 6: In seventy one and June seventy three.
Speaker 1: He graduated seventy three. Okay, did you hang in for the entire four years or did you at some point say this isn't quite my cup of tea?
Speaker 6: We're in my junior at the fellows requires of priests. Could was one of a great and uh. I remember talking to a priest about it at the time, and to paraphrase what you said a bit ago, what he told me was, don't worry about the few are frozen.
Speaker 1: I missed that. You broke up on me just a little bit. What was your last.
Speaker 6: Comment, bob, Oh, you missed my punchline?
Speaker 1: Well, I want to say, hey, do me a favorite set it up again. I don't want to waste a good punchline. Alright ahead.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: Traditionally it's many are called a few are chosen. Yes, I had told me that many are old, but few are frozen.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got so. Did you then did you matriculate there or did you go on, you know, back home? Were you a Michigan guy or in Illinois? Obviously he grew up outside of chicagoan uh, what was described as close to the south side of Chicago. Are you? Were you from Chicago? I know that Michigan and Illinois the border of butts.
Speaker 6: There most of the students there. There was the different Detroit, the Detroit area in Saint Louis, but it was mostly the Chicago area. Leaves put hide sometimes in the city. I'm from a suburb called when this was from Tinley Park. Those are both Southwest suburbs. And after I finished my junior year, I just went back home and went to a public high school.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so he went off to Villanova and and the rest is history. I'm just curious, what have you done with yourself? How'd you end up here in Walpole?
Speaker 6: Well? I actually spent some time working on movies and television shows and commercials and things like that. I was an assistant director, uh huh, and that for a couplecades. I started to tea and I actually taught in a Catholic high school in Maryland. And that's the job that I just retired from and we moved to Massachusetts because our daughter went to school, went to then of living in Boston and never came back. Just now Mary working and we decided to join her up here, and we absolutely loved here.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome to Massachusetts, Bob. Nice to make your acquaintance. I hope you'll listen to Night's Side occasionally. I spent thirty one years working on Channel four. I know you were interviewed last night by my former colleague and great friend Lisa Hughes. Is one of the real class people. I enjoyed watching it, and I really appreciate that you take some time and talk to my audience tonight. And it's just funny how the world works and the people that you meet along the road of life, you just never know where they're going to end up. So you've got a story to tell that a lot of people are going to be interested in. Thank you so much for your time tonight, Bob.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me. And and Lisa.
Speaker 1: Said, you broke up with me again there all.
Speaker 6: Right, Lisa Hughes asked me to say hello to you quite well.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, we were, we were. We were teammates for many years. That's for sure, Bob, hope to meet you someday. I I had relatives growing up who were in in Walpole many years wrote a street called Lewis Avenue. We just go out there and visit when I was probably your your age or younger in terms of elementary school, so I know Walpole well. It's a great community. Thanks Bob, I appreciate your time. Have a great weekend, enjoy yourself. Okay, than congratulations.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me. It's a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Right back at you, right back at you.