Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock, straight up this rainy Thursday morning. It's February thirteenth. Do you have your Valentine stuff already? Only a day away?
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King. This is your wake up call.
Speaker 1: As I mentioned, we're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And here's what's ahead on wake up Call this Thursday. Evacuation warnings go into effect at seven am for areas near the Palisades, Sunset and Hurst fires as a strong storm moves into southern California Orchaster say there's a high risk of flooding and debris flows. Some homes will be under mandatory evacuation orders. Those people are being contacted directly by LA Fire officials say everyone in the burn areas needs to have an evacuation plan in place just in case. The LA City Council's unanimously adopted in ordinance that temporarily prohibits landlords from evicting tenants who've taken in extra people or pets displaced by the wildfires in LA Landlords will also be prohibited from raising rents because of extra occupants. The policy will be in effect for one year. A federal judge is ruled that President Trump's buyout offer to federal employees can move forward. So far, about seventy five thousand have accepted it. President Trump and President Putin have talked. They talked to the phone for over an hour yesterday. ABC's Karen Travers's both say they're ready to find a way to stop the fighting in Ukraine. We're going to check in with Karen and just about to four minutes, and if things go the way researchers are hoping, you could get peanuts on plane rides again. ABC's Jim Ryan's going to tell us about a breakthrough in peanut allergies.
Speaker 4: That's at five twenty.
Speaker 1: And you're definitely gonna want to hang around for this one, because you know that students are struggling. They've been working to get back up to speed since the pandemic and it just hasn't been going that well. Graduation rates are down, scores are down, but not in Compton. We're going to talk with Compton District Superintendent doctor Darren Brawley and find out what Compton is doing right and how their kids are thriving. And also a bonus edition of Amy's on It as we get closer to the SAG and the Academy Awards. Finally an Academy Award nominated movie that I can really get behind. It may just make your heart sing. That's a hint. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The heaviest rain of this storm system is moving into southern California. It's expected to intensify this afternoon and raising concerns of mud and debris flows in burn areas. Evacuation warnings have been issued for areas around the Palisades Fire, the Sunset Fire in the Hollywood Hills, and the Hearstfire in silmar La County. Sheriff Luna says specific homes considered to be at high risk will be subject to mandatory evacuation orders.
Speaker 5: They help to protect you and your loved ones from potential danger. Storms can bring sudden and severe conditions that make stain back home extremely risky.
Speaker 1: A flash flood watch has been issued by the National Weather Service for most of La County four this morning through late tonight. A floodwatch will also be in effect for most of Orange County. A new study shows atmospheric rivers can cause a lot more extensive damage than might be expected. Corinn Bowers is the lead author of the study at Stanford University. She says when atmospheric rivers happen in succession, the damage doesn't just add up, it multiplies.
Speaker 4: They contribute up to half of our water every year.
Speaker 6: But they also tend to deliver a lot of water in very short periods of time.
Speaker 1: Bowers says during wet years there are more frequent and longer complex sequences, so there's less time to recover between atmospheric rivers. People who lost their homes in the Pacific Palisades in Altadena now have a place to go to to assist them in expediting the rebuilding process. The City Building and Safety Office in West LA has set up a center to help residents expedite permits and file other documents. La County also has a one stop rebuilding shop for Eton fire residents at the FEMA Disaster Recovery Center in Altadena. A man from Culver City has pleaded guilty to recklessly operating the drone that crashed into a Super Scooper fighting plane Super Scooper firefighting plane during the fire in Pacific Palisades last month. Put a hole in a wing and caused the plane to be taken out of service while it was fixed. It costs more than sixty five thousand dollars. The US Attorney's Office says the drone operator has agreed to pay full restitution and we'll do one hundred and fifty hours of community service in support of the twenty twenty five Southern California wildfire relief effort. All right, let's go ahead and check in now with ABC's Karen Travers. Karen, President Trump says he and Russia's President Putin have talked on the phone for quite a while and says that negotiations will begin to end the war in Ukraine.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the President spoke yesterday for ninety minutes with Vladimir Putin. He spoke to him first, and then he spoke with Ukrainian President Vilensky. After the President said to reporters after the phone calls, I think President Putin wants peace and President Violinsky wants peace, he said, I want peace.
Speaker 8: It's not clear now you.
Speaker 7: Know how the president is going to do the negotiations to end this nearly three year war. Remember, as a candidate, he of course said he would end the war on day one in office. That did not happen. But these are his most tangible steps to move forward on negotiations to try to bring an end to it. He called the conversation with Putin highly productive and said that they would start negotiations immediately, including at some point soon face to face meetings. He said he expects that Putin will come to the US he would go to Russia, but also said the first sit down could be in Saudi Arabia in the near future.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so the endgame for all of this, of course, is to end the war. And does it appear from anything that anybody has said yet that Russia is going to give up anything, because I know that the Secretary of Defense Pete Hegsath yesterday said that Ukraine's not going to get into NATO, that's not really on the table, and probably can't keep the orders that it has had, meaning they might have to give up some land.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, that's you know, that's part of him. That's the kind of the crux of all of this, of what the territory would look like. And Haig Saith said yesterday we must start by recognizing that returning to Ukraine's pre twenty fourteen borders is an unrealistic objective. Talking of course about when Russia invaded Crimea, the President was asked yesterday if he would support Ukraine having to give up territory, and the President would not say. He said, you know, Zelensky's going to have to do what he has to do. So you know, in terms of what the President is indicating about land and all of that, he's not saying at this point yet what he thinks should happen. But that will certainly be I think the most complicated part of the negotiation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it'll be interesting to see because, as you mentioned, the pre twenty fourteen when Crimea was taken over, So was Ukraine pushing to get that back.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think that that's something that they would like to see happened in a negotiation. And you know, it's also notable just when you think back back to then, Remember I had said that the President indicated he would visit Russia. A US president hasn't visited Russia since back in September of twenty thirteen, that was five months before Russia invaded Crimea and the President Obama at the time went to Russia for a World leader summit. But there have been no visits to there since that point because so much has changed. And that was such a pivotal moment obviously, with that invasion of Crimea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not exactly a friendly territory at this point in time, Okay. And then something else that happened yesterday was all of a sudden boom, we have somebody who's been held in Russia for three and a half years and they're released.
Speaker 7: Yeah. This happened late at night, the night before the President welcomed Russia.
Speaker 8: Excuse me.
Speaker 7: American Mark Fobell, an American teacher who had been considered wrongfully detained by Russia. He came back to the US after more than three years in Russian captivity. He had been imprisoned for having a small amount of medically prescribed marijuana on him when he was going through an airport. The Russians, in exchange were able to get from the United States a cyber crime Kingpin Alexander Vinnick. The President had said that night when he was greeting Fogal that the Russians had not gotten much in the exchange. Certainly now when we know the details of this they did that was a big get for the Russians as part of this prisoner swap.
Speaker 1: Now, but as far as we know, there wasn't any money paid or anything like that.
Speaker 4: It was just a one for one swap.
Speaker 7: That is what we know so far. No other details though.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then we heard the President say another person was going to be released. Have we heard anything more about that.
Speaker 7: There was an announcement yesterday of three people who were released from prisons in Belarus, including an American who was asked who had asked to remain anonymous, So we don't have details of who that is.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Karen Travis, thanks so much for the information.
Speaker 4: We'll talk again soon. Have a great day, all right you too.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Two pilots of a Navy F eighteen jet have been able to succite us safely eject before their jet crashed into San Diego Bay.
Speaker 9: You'll see a large coast guarden Navy presidents holding the maritime perimeter of the debree field while all of the debris is recovered.
Speaker 1: San Diego Harbor Police say they're working to contain the crash site in the waters between Coronado and Point Loma with booms on the water.
Speaker 9: It's a boom that is made to kind of prevent environmental skills from expanding, prevent the debris field from expanding, and kind of set the perimeter.
Speaker 1: Non essential travel and San Diego Bay is restricted during the recovery and investigation. The pilots both were taken to the hospital and are install condition. A fourteen year old has been arrested for allegedly stabbing another teenager during an immigration protest in downtown LA. The seventeen year old who was attacked Friday was taken to the hospital in critical condition. Bill He said yesterday that the younger teen has been booked on suspicion of attempted murder. The Department of Justice is suing the state of New York over its sanctuary laws. Attorney General Pam Bondi says laws in New York keep police officers from asking about a person's immigration status during a traffic stop. Law enforcement officers cannot check their identity if they pull them over. Law enforcement officers do not have access to their background. Bondy says any state that does not comply with federal law will be sued. Parents, educators, community leaders, and elected officials have gathered in Washington, d C. To protest proposed cuts to the Department of Education. Becky Pringle with the National Education Association spoke at Yesterday's rally, saying stutudent's civil rights are being eliminated by President Trump's executive orders.
Speaker 4: To dismantle our public.
Speaker 5: Schools are an attempt to abolish our democracy.
Speaker 1: She says, every student deserves to attend a public school that is high quality, safe, inviting, welcoming, and inclusive. A federal judge has dismissed an equal Potential, Equal Protection climate case brought by eighteen teenagers. The lawsuit, led by a teen from Long Beach, claimed the EPA intentionally allows planet warming pollution despite knowing that it harms children's health and welfare, among other things. The judge ruled the plaintiffs failed to show that the EPA's policies discriminate against children, specifically. A new study suggests that weight loss medications like ozempic may also help people drink less. A small study in Drama psychiatry shows that the drugs may not only curb cravings for food, but for alcohol as well. Experts say it's not yet clear how safe these drugs are for people who don't need to lose weight.
Speaker 10: Ah my exceens living tex Texas zs and blows. I really love to.
Speaker 4: I just thought I'd liked that play very while.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's George Straight and he is hitting the road with Chris Stapleton this summer.
Speaker 4: The country music legend announced that he'll play.
Speaker 1: Five stadium shows, starting in Philadelphia on May tenth. The last show it's going to be right here at Sofi Stadium in Inglewood. That one's on July nineteenth. Tickets go on sale February twenty first. That is a concert I'm maybe willing to fork out a lot of cash for. Okay, uh, happy joy Joy news. I think sometimes we just need to have something positive to start our day because there's so much negative stuff. And so it is scrolling through Facebook the day and there's a Ted Lasso Facebook Facebook page, and there are thirteen leadership lessons from Ted Lasso. Man I miss that show. So here they are.
Speaker 4: One. Be sincere. Two stay teachable. That's good. Three see good in others. Four.
Speaker 1: Happiness is a choice. Five Winning is an attitude. Six Have confidence in yourself. Seven Optimists take more chances. Eight Everyone differs from everyone else, that's the truth. Nine. Courage is the willingness to attempt. Ten Vulnerability is a strength, not a weakness. Eleven doing the right thing is never the wrong thing. Twelve be curious, not judgmental, and thirteen be a goldfish. Don't allow one bad deed to define who you are in less than ten seconds. Forget about it, just like a goldfish does. Oh, I missed that show. Schools in Malibu close today because of the risk of mud and debrief flows and flooding from the atmospheric River moving through southern California. School officials are going to decide later today if schools will be closed again tomorrow. Also, Malibu Canyon Road, which is near the Franklin and Palisades fire burn scars, is going to be closed from early this morning until probably Friday night. Hamas says it will release the next group of Israeli hostages As planned to keep the cease fire deal with Israel in effect. Hamas had threatened to delay the Hostages release, accusing Israel of not allowing tenants or tents and shelters into Gaza, along with other truce violations. In response, Israel had threatened to renew its offensive in Gaza. The next Hostages scheduled to be released on Saturday. Billy Idol, Mariah Carey, Cindy, and Chubby Checker are among the fourteen artists nominated for the twenty twenty five Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Fan voting is underway and that'll go through April twenty first. The inductees will be announced in late April and then inducted into the Hall of Fame at a ceremony in Los Angeles' fall coming up at five point fifty students are struggling. Graduation rates are down, but not in Compton. We're going to talk with Compton District Superintendent, doctor Darren Brawley to find out what the heck Compton is doing right and how its kids are thriving. Can't wait to hear from him. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan something else I can't wait to hear about. This could be huge. There could be a way to treat potentially deadly peanut allergies.
Speaker 11: Yes, you never heard of Mithruditis. The sixth uh No, Mathrudities the sixth was the ruler of the kingdom of Pontus from one twenty to sixty three BC. I'll tell you that because Mathrudites was terrified of being poised, and his father had been poisoned to death, maybe by his own mother. So here's what Methriderts did the sixth He started taking daily doses, little tiny amounts of poison to inure himself, to get himself conditioned against poison, to give himself immunity. That's all relevant here because researchers at Mount Sinai say that that's one way to help kids get over peanut allergies. Not all kids, but some kids. If they have there's some tolerance to peanuts, If they can eat half a peanut, and that's about eight hundred thousand peanut allergy kids, they may be candidates for this kind of treatment, getting small doses of peanut butter every day until they build up an immunity against peanut allergy and they can walk in and they won't be terrified of running into peanuts at the school cafeteria or whatever.
Speaker 4: So if it works, a little dabble do.
Speaker 11: You, a little dabble doo you? It doesn't matter if it's crunchy or creamy.
Speaker 4: I am not a crunchy peanut butter fan.
Speaker 8: Are you?
Speaker 11: That's it's wrong?
Speaker 4: I know, I like creamy is the way to go.
Speaker 11: Cream creamy peanut butter should be outlawed. I think crunchy should be all that's sold. Really yeah, oh I'm sorry, Jim.
Speaker 4: Our first bite.
Speaker 1: Okay, So anyway, this is actually when we're having fun with it. But peanut allergies are pretty severe. Like you said that, people they walk into a place and they're worried they're going to be exposed. Because what happens when you when you have a reaction to peanuts.
Speaker 11: Sure, yeah, the kid's going to go into anaphylactic shock. It can be extremely serious, you know. And so then that's why most school cafeterias don't have peanut butter on the menu. They keep the peanut butter peanuts out of there. You see on jars of food that you might buy. This was processed in a plant that also deals with peanuts to warm people against this. Now, whether there are more cases of peanut allergy or whether we're simply more aware of it now, you know, it's irrelevant, because they're is this new potential way to deal with it. Previously parents were told if their kids had a penatalogy, Joe, I'll keep them away from peanuts. Now they're saying that some of these kids in it, and not all of them, only those with some tolerance that they may be able to essentially get over their peanutalogy.
Speaker 1: And then for the ones who you said they can tolerate half a peanut, like so they can have a little tiny bit.
Speaker 4: But no, it's not.
Speaker 1: But if they if they can tolerate a little bit, isn't there still a risk of giving even a little peanut butter to somebody who has a penutnalergy?
Speaker 11: Right, And that's why you know, pediatricians don't want you suddenly feeding your kid a bunch of peanut butter if if they have peanut allergy. You have to work in concert with your doctor. You know this this research is fairly young, It was a fairly small group. They're going to try to expand it out and and you know, test more children this way. So yeah, don't suddenly dump peanut butter down your kids throat if he has a peanut allergy. They're also this is interesting. They're going to expand it not just to a broader audience of peanut allergy suffers, but also other food allergy suffers. Is maybe if you have seafood allergy, a little tiny bit of you know, tuda fish or something or shellfish might help you to get over that. So there's still a lot of research to be done.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a that's cool though.
Speaker 1: I mean because I know that I know people who have shellfish allergies and they're like, if I even smell it, I can have a reaction, And that's that's got to be pretty scary.
Speaker 11: Yeah, food allergies are a bad deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So when we're growing up, no one had them.
Speaker 1: We all had peanuts on the plane, always fine, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or served for lunch at school.
Speaker 4: What changed?
Speaker 1: Why are they having these allergies?
Speaker 11: Either that or you're flying along and eating your peanuts and the passenger next to you starts getting an itchy throat and eyes watering and you know, the throat is starting and they may not even realize it. It might not have known that this was happening, that they had it. I think it is raised awareness. It increased awareness. But I suspect that, you know, as as as people, as time has gone on, more people are getting these allergies.
Speaker 4: You know, we just don't know why, right exactly?
Speaker 1: All right, Well, and it could, like you said, it could just be a numbers game. We just know about it now because there's more of us, right, Okay, Well, hopefully this, uh, this leads to something. I think it's a great potential.
Speaker 11: And it reminds me to use the six well, you.
Speaker 4: Know what it reminds us of.
Speaker 1: I got a note from my editor, Carlo, and she said it sounds like the dread pirate Roberts and the Roberts and the iokane powder from the Princess Bride.
Speaker 11: Princess Bride.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: See, I didn't know which one would be more relatable to you, whether it would be the Princess Bride or Mathrudidius the Sixth. I figured Mathrudiitis the sixth. Thanks Jim, because by the way, what the guy in print was practicing you know, poisoning himself. It's called mathruditism, that's what they call it.
Speaker 1: See you guys, we all learned something today, all right, Jim Ryan, thank you so much.
Speaker 11: See yah.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 1: Police in Germany say at least twenty seven people have been hurt by a car that plowed into a crowd in the city of Munich. Officials have called it a suspected attack. Vice President Fans and Secretary of State Marco Rubio are expected to attend a major security conference in Munich tomorrow. President Trump has repeated his calls to dismantle the federal Department of Education. He says it's a massive and wasteful bureaucracy that should be divided up among the states.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'd like it to be closed immediately.
Speaker 5: Look, the Department of Education's a big conjob.
Speaker 1: Independent Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders says he believes cutting program after program, including education, is aimed at giving massive tax breaks to the richest people in the US. Some people in southern California looking for eggs amid the bird flew shortage are bypassing stores and going directly to the source. A customer at Billy's Egg Farm and Chino said she waited forty minutes to get her eggs, and the eggs for the day were sold out by eleven am. Eggs some farms are selling for about sixteen bucks a dozen. Officials say prices are not expected to drop back down until new chickens start laying eggs, and that takes about six months. A farmer in Connecticut has started renting out chickens to help people deal with the high egg prices and shortages. We run the chickens.
Speaker 2: We bring everything for them, from the little coop to the food, everything you need.
Speaker 1: Farmer Joe, Yeah, that's his name, says it costs about five hundred dollars to rent two chickens for six months, five hundred bucks and they'll provide up to two dozen eggs per week. That works out to about eighty cents per egg. The cost of eggs has jumped fifteen percent in just a month, driven of course, in large part by the bird flu. Crews have been working to empty debris basins, clear storm drains, and distribute sandbags to residents to get ready for the heavy rain that could trigger debris flows in flooding. A flash flood watch goes into effect this morning, with one to three inches of rain possible for the coastal and valley area, is three to six inches possible in the foothills and mountains. Two fighter pilots have safely ejected from their F eighteen fighter jet before it crashed into San Diego Bay near Shelter Island. The crash happened shortly after ten am yesterday. Booms have been put into the water to contain the crash site and the base off limits to boters while the crash is investigated. The pilots are okay. Apple Maps is following Google's lead and is renaming the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America. The change in response to an executive order from President Trump. Google updated all of its maps this week and they now identify the body of water as the Gulf of America. At six oh five, handle on the news about seventy five thousand workers say okay, I'll take the deal, and a judge says that deal can move forward.
Speaker 2: Amy's on it, Aami's on it, Amy's on.
Speaker 6: It, Gami's on it.
Speaker 4: What am I on?
Speaker 1: Well? For the next couple of weeks at least, I'm on Academy and SAG Nominated Performances movies because the awards season is upon us. We've already had the Golden Globes and they did the Producers Awards and the Director's Guild Awards. The SAG Awards are coming up in a couple of weeks, and then of course the Academy Awards, the big Daddy that's March second. So I'm watching some of these movies because I am a SAG member, so I am able to screen those because I'll be voting on what I think are the best ones. And I was going to be talking about Anora today, so that's in defensive cono. It was going to be Anor today, but we're going to hold off on that one because as I was perusing stuff yesterday, I was like, you know, I haven't heard much about this Sing Sing show except that Will Gance, our ABC entertainment guy last week, said Hey, Coleman Domingo's performance is really good and the movie's really good, so I'll check that out. Okay, So Sing Sing it may be streaming. I'm trying to find a definitive answer. But it wasn't available, but they're saying it was available starting January thirty, first, but I haven't found it yet. It is still playing at the Lemley in North Hollywood. But that's kind of about it. Coleman Domingo plays an inmate named Divine G. He's in Sing Sing in New York, serving time for murder. And then this cast you don't really recognize many other people in the cast. There's the one guy who plays the director in the movie you might recognize, but then there's Clarence Macklin. Well, it turns out that Clarence Macklin is actually Clarence the I Maclin who was an inmate at Sing Sing. And then there's John Adrian Velasquez who plays himself and David Garatti who plays himself so well, along with some actors they had inmates from Sing Sing playing the roles of the movie, which kind of adds a really interesting twist to it. And I'm telling you they're pretty good. Oh it's really like, Wow, the real Divine G has a cameo. This is based on a true story. But there's big bag criminals serving time for really bad crimes in Sing In Sing Sign in Sing Sing, and so what do they do to cope with their life behind bars? Well, one group acts it's a group that gets together. They put on places for the inmates. It's called Rehabilitation through the Arts or RTA, and it does exist in real life. The movie doesn't move very fast. It's slow, it's intraceptive, and it is so darn fun to watch. Through the rehearsals, you learn about the men. You see them open up a little bit. You see through the tough exterior and kind of into the soul inside. And as I'm watching this movie, about halfway through, they're rehearsing their lines for this play they're gonna do. They're acting out the scenes. There's this beautiful score. I love the music in this show playing in the background. I just started crying and I was like, what the heck is going on because it was just like this beautiful moment in this movie. And it shows that through their art, through doing these shows and acting and doing the whole process of acting and stuff, the men gain hope. Of course, it's not all happy, happy, joy joy, because they are in sing sing and they're convicted criminals, and all these people have done horrible things, or at least most of them. You'll find out during the movie about that. But I am so excited because I think this is actually a movie that should be Academy An Award nominated. I think there are so many that you just go what what are they doing? And it's sort of like an insider thing, like the people in the Academy are like, oh, that's beautiful, but for you and me, it's kind of like, what the heck? That's not a great movie. This, I think is a really good movie. My favorite line that is so fitting for it is who would have thought that healing would have started behind these walls of sing sing? It is sing sing, I'm on it. I hope that you will be too, really really a really good movie. Okay, do we have Courtney with us? Okay, great for you. It's time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Courtney, good morning, Happy Thursday. Happy Thursday.
Speaker 1: Well except if you work at Joanne Fabrics, oh.
Speaker 6: It's not so happy Thursday, or even if you love going to the store. Cross retailer Joanne is closing more than half of its stores nationwide. That's about five hundred locations. That is a lot of stores. Last month, the company Faultford Chapter eleven bankruptcy for the second time in less than a year. Joanne says it's right sizing its store footprint because that's going to be a critical part of their efforts to ensure their best path forward. About sixty locations in California are on the list to close.
Speaker 4: Yikes, okay, so what does that mean?
Speaker 1: Though, it's right sizing too, Yeah, right, I mean, I know that they do a bunch of word salad on that, but what does it really mean. It just means that they've got to cut. Yes, it's to survive. They've got to cut labor costs. They've got to cut their footprint because of course it's very expensive to have these different stores, whether it's rental or whether they actually outright.
Speaker 6: Own that property. It's a lot of money there. And then also keeping their inventory on hand, and it has been a struggle for them to keep inventory, especially after they went through bankruptcy.
Speaker 4: A lot of vendors are.
Speaker 6: Saying, well, I don't know about giving you our products because are we going to get paid for that? So I don't know, We're going to be probably seeing a couple of different sales going on. I know the Joe Anne right by me in Scarsdale, New York is closing down, So I'm sure my children people want to go there and be able to stuck up on lots and lots of crafts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's so specialized because you go there when you want to make something, so you need specific amounts. So it'll be just interesting to see if they can move part of that online and have that be successful.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that also has been Speaking of online, that's been an issue for them. A lot of times people go to Amazon to be able to get their crafts. And Michael's has been continuing to grow throughout the country and they've been a force as a rival against Joe Anne. But a lot of retailers out there have struggled over the past couple of years due to inflation obviously that's been on the rise and sluggish consumer spending.
Speaker 1: Okay, and speaking of spending and markets and all of that stuff, anything exciting happening today on Well Street.
Speaker 6: Yesterday was a big day because we had inflation data that came in higher than expected. So some items like prescription drugs and parking fees, that's all the biggest monthly price gain on record, insurance and of course eggs. We talk about eggs all the time. That jumped the most in about a decade, but it was some relief elsewhere. It might help folks this Valentine's Day. It was the largest monthly decline for jewelry since twenty nineteen. Along with cakes and cupcakes. I actually wish the Valentine's Day chochkes for my son's class.
Speaker 4: I wish that was cheaper. I'm going to be doing that this afternoon.
Speaker 6: But taking a look at the market's a little bit better than what we saw. Yesterday's stocks were lower, but right now DAL futures are up eighty five points, so we're pointing to a higher day in the markets.
Speaker 1: All right, Bloomberg's Courtney, Donna, thank you so much. Appreciate later, talk to you tomorrow. You know, we talked to Courtney every day to find out what's going on with your business. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Evacuation warnings we'll go into effect at eight this morning for areas close to the airport fire burn scar in Orange County. That fire in the San Anna Mountains in September and October burned into Riverside County. The warnings cover Tribuco Canyon, Hot Springs Canyon, Bell Canyon, Long Canyon, and Mojesca Canyon. Official say they issued the warnings bease because the heavy rain could cause mudslides and debrief flows. Voters in La may be asked to borrow some money to improve the city's fire departments.
Speaker 3: The bond measure could be on a future ballot to help beef up equipment, maybe build new stations, and to improve infrastructure. City Councilwoman Monica Rodriguez says, the recent wildfires have proven a need.
Speaker 6: We know their need is there. We know there's a sense of urgency for all of us collectively to start working on this, and so that's why we're trying to advance this as quickly as possible.
Speaker 3: The issue was sent to a council committee for further discussion. In the meantime, the council approved a request for city administrators to figure out ways to generate more general revenue. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A city in San Diego County has passed an immigration enforcement resolution on its third try. The city of Alcoholane voted in favor of the resolution, confirming it will work with federal immigration authorities to remove illegal immigrants as much as state law will allow. The resolution also asked the US Attorney General to protect city police officers if they help or cooperate with federal immigration authorities. Elon Musk's social media platform x has agreed to pay about ten million dollars to settle a lawsuit by President Trump over the suspension of his accounts after the January sixth attack on the Capitol. Trump sued the company and its former chief executive.
Speaker 4: Last month.
Speaker 1: Meta platform says it had agreed to pay about twenty five million to settle a lawsuit by Trump, who is also looking to settle with Google for banning him from YouTube. Evacuation warnings have been issued for communities in Mount Baldy, right Wood and Highland because of the risk of mud and debris flows from the store moving into the area. Authorities are on high alert for potential flash flooding and mud slides, with emergency crews ready to issue evacuation orders if they're needed. Amazon is hiring in the Ie. The company says it's hiring more than two thousand full and part time workers to help staff its two inbound cross dock facilities in Harupa Valley and Fontana. Amazon says the facilities are key to keeping the supply chain moving quickly. NASA says there's a two percent chance an asteroid up to three hundred feet across could hit Earth in a few years. The chances of the space rock colliding with Earth have nearly doubled since NASA started tracking it a few weeks ago, still just two percent. NASA says if it does hit, it would likely cause local damage and isn't big enough to threaten the planet. So we got that going for us. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, the Justice Department is accusing New York of favoring illegal immigrants over US citizens.
Speaker 4: We'll tell you about that right now.
Speaker 1: We got to tell you about something very special that's happening in Compton. So let's say good morning to Compton District Superintendent, doctor Darren Brawley. Thanks for joining us, doctor Browley, Good morning, So Compton, Compton is bucking the trend of declining student performance. We're seeing it all over the places. Students try to get back up to speed after the pandemic. Math and reading test scores are down all over in LA but not in Compton, which is now boasting a ninety three percent graduation rate. So, doctor Browley, tell us, what are you doing different that is so successful in setting these kids up for success.
Speaker 8: Well, we really have a different system and place in Compton. We focus on Malcolm Baldrich Performance Excellent standards. That's incorporated into everything that we do and doing. So we benchmark our performance against our surrounding school districts that I like to call our surrounding competitors. And we've been doing that for quite some time. And when we first started that process, we were significantly behind all of the surrounding school districts. When I got there thirteen years ago. Yeah, our graduation rates were fifty eight percent. They're now three percent. They're number one in Los Angeles County for similar school districts and number one in the state for similar school districts with more than ninety percent duplicated people count and higher than ten thousand students. And so that benchmarking performance, we incorporate that into everything that we do against all the state dashboard indicators.
Speaker 1: Okay, so talk to us a little bit more about specifically what are you doing. So you you not only say here's what we're doing, here's what they're doing, let's beat them. But you've got to put some you've got to have some systems in place to help the kids.
Speaker 8: Right there, right. So based upon that, then we create smart goals, specific measurable, attainable results over time, and we also have superintendent data chats probably about every six weeks where we're looking at all those metrics, whether it's a ELA performance. As you saw, our performance over the last two years has been remarkable with m Compton. It's led to state two years in a row as well as our math performance. The same thing. We've led to stay two years in a row for some early situated school districts. So based upon that, our site principles are responsible for creating action plans around those smart goals and then creating interventions for the students that are served. And in doing so, we have brought in quite a bit of tutors. More than two hundred and fifty tutors have been brought into the system during the instructional day because we know that that's where we can have the most impact. And then those tutors are working with the students that are identified for interventions.
Speaker 1: Okay, and when you say they're identified for interventions, So you're looking for someone who might be struggling a little bit or they just need more personal attention.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so we have lots of systems in place, so think of math. In math, we have problems of the day Monday through Thursday that are focused on state standards, and so the teachers will teach that standard throughout that week Monday through Thursday with five questions. They'll walk through maybe two to three in terms of showing students, and then the students will complete the remaining problems on their own, and then Friday, they'll take a five question a little assessment to determine which students have met it with seventy to eighty percent mastery, and then based upon that intervention groups will be formed. We do that process both in ELA and in math. So I gave you the example of math, but we also do the same thing with what we call target it targeted learning checks in ELA with his language arts.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you're checking up on everybody pretty constantly. There's like you're always watching and then there's some that are doing good and you just keep encouraging them and the ones that might be falling behind a little bit. Then they get the tutors and they get the extra attention to get them.
Speaker 4: Back up to speed.
Speaker 8: That is correct, okay?
Speaker 1: And how do you get the students to buy in on it? I mean, like, are the students excited about it that there's competition or how are they reacting?
Speaker 8: Well, students, students love the additional attention that they get because, you know, something that was you know, pretty abstract to them all of a sudden becomes attainable with the additional support. So students have brought I have bought into the concept. And we've also created a competition this year where you know, specific school wants to be another school. So now we've created this competition where one school wants to be a neighboring school that is doing better than them, and so we've rallied teachers as well as students behind that.
Speaker 4: Very cool.
Speaker 1: And then are you are there plans to recreate this system in other schools or is anybody else doing it?
Speaker 4: Or are you guys the only ones that you know of?
Speaker 8: Well, there's a few superintendents that have reached out and that teams over to see what we're doing. It remains to be seeing whether or not they will follow through it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think this is just so great.
Speaker 1: It's so great to see students succeeding, especially because all we've been hearing again since the pandemic is the kids are behind and they're not catching back up. So to hear that that Compton has kind of figured out a way to get those students back on a successful trap is just amazing. It sounds like you've been doing it since before the pandemic started, but continuing it, so that's fair.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And there's one one of different thing that we focus on, and that is the academic language of the assessment.
Speaker 4: So what does that mean?
Speaker 8: So the curriculum that we adopt uses language that is not necessarily the same as the academic language that students will actually take when they take the test. And so we have a high EL population thirty two percent within our organization, and so we focus on teaching students that explicit language so that when they see it, they know what the words mean. Gotcha, So you can you can know how to do it, But if you see words that you've never seen before, then you might freeze up and think that you do not know how to do it. And so we take a lot of time in ELA and MAP teaching the explicit vocabulary that they're likely to account.
Speaker 4: Got it.
Speaker 1: Doctor Darren Browley at Compton Unified, congratulations on the great work that you're doing with kids, and we expect great things from those kids one day. All right, thank you, all right, take care so cool. I love to see that. It reminds me of Stand and Deliver. Remember that movie with Edward James. Almost let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Light rain is about to get more intense. The heaviest rain with this storm system is expected to soak southern California this afternoon into tonight. Evacuation orders have been issued for some burn areas, and La County Sheriff Luna says evacuation orders could follow.
Speaker 5: When you're given an evacuation order, heat the order and leave as soon as you can. Nothing that you have back home is worth your life.
Speaker 4: He says.
Speaker 1: If people decide to stay and something happens, rescuers may not be able to get to them if the roads and the weather get too bad. About one to three inches of rain are expected in most coastal and valley areas three to six inches in the foothills and mountains. Flood and flash flood watches have been issued. A federal judge is cleared the way for President Trump's plan to downsize the federal workforce with a buyout program. The judge and Austin ruled yesterday that a group of labor unions did not have legal standing to challenge the program. The Trump administration is using financial incentives to encourage government employees to quit. The administration says so far, about seventy five thousand federal workers have accepted the offer to resign now and get paid through September. More people are turning to higher education to improve their futures, at.
Speaker 2: Least in California. Nationwide, though in forty six states. Inside Higher Ed notes that college admission had an average decline by seven percent last year. But at UC Davis they just set a new record for undergraduate applications for fall twenty twenty five, with just over one hundred twenty thousand submissions. That's a little more than four percent of an increase from last year. There was also a record number of California residents for fall twenty twenty five, and there was growth among historically underrepresented groups. Of all applicants, nearly one hundred three thousand are incoming freshmen or first year students. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: Just over seventeen thousand students applied as transfers, which is a four percent increase from the previous year. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland. Weather from KFI, rain heavy at times, of course, that flash flash flood watch in effect from later this morning through late tonight. Highs around sixty at the beaches Metro La Inlando, c in the valleys fifties to low sixties, and windy in the ie forties and fifties, with gusty wins in the Anelo Valley. Slight chance of thunderstorms tonight with lows in the forties to low fifties. Rain tomorrow should taper off in the afternoon. It's fifty five in Orange, fifty five Manhattan Beach, fifty six in Critos, fifty eight in Fountain Valley. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer Michelle in for and Today and technical producer kno I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen to the whole thing anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear Wakeup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.