Speaker 1: So this is a super rad song.
Speaker 2: And this is the whole Damon Alburn project, The Gorillas.
Speaker 1: Do you guys know the rapper on this song?
Speaker 2: No, but I love that rap so much, the Homo Sapien, Right, Dell Dell the Funky Homo Sapien.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you ever heard mining Ben's Dell the Funky Homo Sapien story.
Speaker 3: Oh no, did you find out that he was Dell the Funky Homosexual?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, that would have been delp though. Right, that's a pretty good rap name. If you're gonna try to break into the game, I.
Speaker 1: Want to not.
Speaker 2: I don't think Dell would care. Nah, he's cool because this happened when he was nineteen. Yeah, he was on tour Statute too. Yeah, he was on tour with his older cousin Ice Cube. Oh wow, and the band Black Sheet. Do you guys know the song? You could get with this? So you can get with that. That's okay, that's Black Sheet okay. And they had a real huge record in like ninety one or whenever this was. Now, this was at the legendary concert hall in oak Cliff that I think is now a home depot, but at the time it was called Bronco Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I need to come back.
Speaker 2: And I'm telling you, man, I saw some bad ass shoes at the Bronco Bowl.
Speaker 4: Everyone has now.
Speaker 2: Me and Ben like to consider ourselves men of the people. So if you're out and about, we would love to drink a beer with you and talk. So part of this story I'm gonna leave off air, okay, but I encourage you if you ever see me and Ben out, to ask the reason this happened. But Ben and I and our friend Alvarez, and I think bl was there. You guys know bl We're in the crowd at the Bronco Bowl. Dell had just released his debut album called I Wish My Brother George was here, but he was not near as big, if big at all, as Ice Cube and Black Sheep. Everyone was there to see them. Yeah, so Dell is able to walk around in the crowd at the Bronco Bowl. Okay, So he comes walking. I'm like, oh my cause I loved his first record, like I was way into it, and I was like, oh my god, it's Dell.
Speaker 1: You're dude. You're like walking around.
Speaker 2: He's like, hey, yeah, he's just kind of a little dude. And so he just kind of stood there talking to us for a little while, and then at one point he goes, y'all are white boys? Do you know where I could get blank? And we're like, well, actually, Alvarez's next door neighbor sells that.
Speaker 1: I thought you're gonna say some p maybe it was. He tells it he made he was a pip and so was.
Speaker 4: Looking for some video games now and get some good video games around here.
Speaker 2: If you guys have listened to the Benning's Gen Show for a long time.
Speaker 1: We lived in Richardson.
Speaker 2: And Alvarez lived across street from huffein direct center. So you're talking PLANEO Road and like, I think that was Apollo Road. So Dell said, oh really, all right, we're in.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get my boy. We'll meet you guys in a second.
Speaker 2: You'll leave what is now the home depot. We left oak Cliffe, we left the Bronco Ball. We didn't see ice Cube that night. Now I'd seen ice Cube other times. We drove to Richardson to get what Dell was interested in acquiring, and then we drove back after we had acquired whatever we had acquired, and we put on our demo tape.
Speaker 1: Oh boy after his mood had.
Speaker 2: Been changed, and his boy who was with him, who later ended up being in a group called Souls of Mischief who had a big rap song called ninety three till Infinity.
Speaker 1: You guys have probably heard it.
Speaker 2: He started speaking for the first time after the long drive to Richardson and the long drive back because they were loving it. But I think they were loving it because of how they were feeling. Yeah, we drove them all the way back to Cliff and all of the tour was waiting for us by the tour bus because Dell had held up the tour bus for wherever they were going Houston or wherever they were headed next. And he got out of our car and walked off into the night and we never saw him again.
Speaker 1: I mean, back then, you're not exchanging cell phone numbers. You are not. But he left with our demo tape.
Speaker 3: You're not thinking, oh, let me take a picture because you didn't want to have the camera.
Speaker 1: No, this would have been, honestly, like ninety one or ninety two. And all we have is those memories of you guys to relay this story.
Speaker 4: That is a badass story. But see, sometimes you drink a little bit or whatever. So those memories get cloudy and fuzzy, and that's why the pictures and stuff coming handy.
Speaker 1: People smoke, you know, yeah, you know some people smoke. I I fun you memory.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so many things I like about that story. But my favorite part is, Yell, are white boys maybe in your car driving around, so we had to take two cars.
Speaker 4: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: So we'll take you to our Hispanic friend's house. Alvarez, Argentinian, Argentine whatever. I tried, but uh but yeah, that all happened.
Speaker 2: And uh and I'd like to think that maybe I not me personally, but all of us changed Dell's creative path.
Speaker 3: And then he was you know, how did he end up doing stuff with the Gorillas? Because I mean, I mean, we are Clint Eastwood right there. But yeah, he's on feel Good Inc.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their biggest hit, No de la Soulas on Field. Okay, I'm sorry, yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that they the Gorillas do is they just work with different rappers and different artists and stuff. Dell was a Bay Area rapper and he was as he got more creative, he got a little more psychedelic and got a little more out there, you know. And so he definitely became and he became an indie darling like he was wasn't a big rap star, but he was part of this whole scene called the Hieroglyphics, and it was all Bay Area rappers that kind of had their own sound that wasn't like a hard funk thing. It was more kind of trippy and jazzy and psyche. And so he kind of became a honestly like he kind of became a favorite of like the white boy skateboard rap crowd or sometimes they were called backpack rappers, you know.
Speaker 1: Bay Area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, uh, And so it would totally make sense that. And he also had done some stuff. I think he did some stuff with a handsome boy modeling school.
Speaker 1: Do you guys know what that is? No? Do you guys know the TV show Get a Life?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: You guys know Chris Elliott. Yes, Chris Elliott who you probably would know Christina from something about Mary.
Speaker 1: You know, he was in Ship's Creek too.
Speaker 4: Okay, the real quick, you'll continue.
Speaker 2: Chris Elliott got to start his dad was a famous comedian, but he got to start on the David Letterman Show, playing weird sidebar, heare his sister is.
Speaker 3: Carmie's Uh his sister in real life is Carmei's sister on the Bear?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, He's also in a scary movie right with.
Speaker 2: A little Everything in the Night. Yeah, and I actually think Carmei's his daughter. Oh, I bet that is Abbey. I bet that Abby is his daughter. Yeah, which crazy because she was on SNL in the two thousands. And dude, when I had a shaved head and a beard, people told me all the time that I looked exactly like Chris Elliott, like all the time, uh so much so it scarred me.
Speaker 3: Get this, I don't see that Steve Higgins, who is the guy who is Jimmy Fallon's hype man. Okay, yeah, and he's Lauren right hand? Is Abby Elliott's uncle? Is that right? And and what should mean Chris Elliot's brother in law? Yeah, Chris Elliot's brother in law. Steve Higgins, one of his kids is one of the guys and please don't destroy Yeah, so connections are Chris Elliot's dad.
Speaker 2: I think his name is Bob Elliott. He was part of a comedy duo called Bob and Ray, but he was actually on the show Get a Life and Get a Life was on Fox in the early days when Fox was first launching, and it's not a great show, but I loved it because I love Chris Elliott and he's basically like a grown man living at home and he's a paper boy, and so at one point he wants to he does an ad in the back of a magazine to Joy that joined the Handsome Boy Modeling School and pays money and goes to the school and then feels exploited. I mean, dude, it's the dumbest thing. It's like, I think you should leave dumb. But it was on network television, and so when Prince Paul of Daylas Soul of fame started Handsome Boy Modeling School, he took it from that dumb TV show Get a Life, and so they'd have a bunch of samples from it, and Dell was on that and blah blah blah. That's how all this long thing goes. But yeah, so whenever we play the Gorillas and I hear Dell the funky Homo Sapien, I'm transported back to ninety one ninety two of the Ronca Ball when he got in our car and Oakcliff and drove to Richardson and it also reminds me of the intro.
Speaker 1: Shark Tom Boys.
Speaker 3: Right now, you're right right, right right righte.
Speaker 6: W epan with I'll show you going rubinghead if you except a simmer sweet pursuing it, donnld out shaw shank through the sewer. Kid now with chilling at the eagle. Yeah, we doing it. Three o'clock on the dock. Got a habit for my house, a gold status. Howard starting to get craddic shows that up multiplied like a rabbit tuned end zone.
Speaker 1: Out prink it up, beat the habit.
Speaker 6: I'm wanting out with my friend locking it on the radio.
Speaker 7: My home boys in talking on the radio. It's time to to this wall.
Speaker 1: Oh baby by we go, Kat Pristine all up radio.
Speaker 2: All right, it's a Friday afternoon and we have something brand new right now, It's time for.
Speaker 7: This world news, world news, world news.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have some stories.
Speaker 3: I have a couple of stories from the world I've been holding on to all week and I wanted to get to Okay, Scotland, Spain, Jouquing Garcia is his name. Uh. He decided to stop going to work six years ago. It's a toxic workplace. It's like, I'm not going to work anymore, but somehow they did not notice.
Speaker 1: So he's there.
Speaker 3: I took a paycheck without going to work for six years until the company even though they didn't realize that he doesn't work there anymore.
Speaker 1: But he didn't formally quit. He just stopped showing up. Uh huh. But this is very office space.
Speaker 4: It's amazing.
Speaker 8: He was due to receive an award for his twenty year job and they're like, wait, where's he at now. He was an engineer overseeing a wastewater treatment plant and he was in charge of.
Speaker 1: Two departments, and he quit showing up and he kept giving him money. God, this totally six years. This totally justifies all we've got to trim the fat. It really does.
Speaker 3: You know, now, this job was he was getting just thirty thousand a year pay, but the entire time to just not go to work because one days like.
Speaker 1: I've had enough.
Speaker 2: I wonder if he got a second job and just supplemented his income with the stipend from the wastewater management company.
Speaker 4: Maybe did you see the fall up to that? By the way, I've not seen the flow they took him to court obviously because he was, you know, getting pay for six years for not doing anything. He only had to pay back a year's worth of gallery just one year.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It said he quit because like the toxic environment. Is that because they weren't treating the.
Speaker 1: Water very well? Oh, let's think about that.
Speaker 3: And there's a my first story of World News, World News, World News.
Speaker 1: Did you work with the meters on that intro?
Speaker 7: World News?
Speaker 3: There's this guy in Peru. He's a fisherman and he was at sea for ninety four days just drifting. And guess what he was surviving on his urine?
Speaker 1: Nope? Uh oh, bear grills is urine? No, turtles and cockroaches.
Speaker 4: Wait, cockroaches in the.
Speaker 3: Ocean somehow very weird. He was drifting at sea, he saying, I don't know the story, said Peru guy.
Speaker 4: How many? Oh I can't.
Speaker 2: Maybe he had a bag of cockroaches and turtles with him. Yeah, maybe, but turtles, turtles, turtle meat is good eating?
Speaker 4: Is that the people do said it so matter of factly. You have to cook them, right, at least cook the turtle before you're just eating it.
Speaker 2: You know where you start. It's like sushi turtle meat if you put a little soy sauce on it. I'm telling you yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, God, we're off to a really good start.
Speaker 1: I love that. Can I hear the intro again?
Speaker 2: Kevin?
Speaker 1: Ye? All right?
Speaker 2: Coming up next, we have insider trading from the world of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Secrets revealed. You're gonna want to hear this next on The Ben and Skin Show. It is The Ben and Skin Show, ninety seven point one The Eagle on a Friday afternoon. Thank you for hanging out with us today. I don't forget. We love to give away tickets on this show. We got we got disturbed tickets to give away, don't we They're coming.
Speaker 1: Up here in April.
Speaker 2: We like to give these tickets away using the iHeart app. There's like a little talkback feature on there and you can leave messages. Click that talkback feature on your iHeart app, the free streaming app. If you don't have it, what are you doing? Get it and leave your name, your phone number, your email address, and the first person we'll go with the first person that can answer this question.
Speaker 1: What rapper were we talking about?
Speaker 2: In the first segment that me and Ben drove from oak Cliffe to Richardson in nineteen ninety two. We told this whole story. It's from a song that we play here on the Eagle. If you're listening, you know, first person, they can leave their name, phone number, email address, and which rapper that is. You're gonna win these disturbed tickets. We love giving tickets.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, all right, that's that's the jam. But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 6: Juicing your news.
Speaker 1: Hot gods, come.
Speaker 6: Stay on top in the shove.
Speaker 3: Like you see rock and roll Hall of You know, they announced the nominees about a month ago. We talked about it, put a couple of seven segments on it. Probably I love this every year though, Vulcher talks to two or three anonymous voters and they basically tell you who they voted for.
Speaker 1: They've already put.
Speaker 3: Their ballot in, okay, and you know when they announced it, why or why not? I don't know when they announced it. I know the induction that will be like in October, and then it'll air on network TV on and you're don't stream it on Disney you can, okay, And it'll be a network TV on like New Year's Eve or something. So voter one for Bad Company here which you go at alpabetic order. Okay, Bad Company? Are they a major rock act?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I like them more than I want to admit though, because I like Paul Rodgers.
Speaker 1: He's got a great voice.
Speaker 3: You feel like making love. Maybe a Meatthead anthem, but it's catchy. I won't vote for them though. Voter two, it's a quintessential rock supergroup Paul Rodgers and Simon Kirk. So you got links to Free Mata Hoopel and King Crimson. They have a good chance of getting in without my vote. It's two no's I.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry and I told you all this when we talket. Bad Company is not all rock and roll hall of Fame group. To me, they're just not.
Speaker 4: I mean, the Paul Rodgers argument is really the only one that makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: But like I think some people think all right Now is a Bad Company song.
Speaker 1: It's a free song. Yeah, And like honestly, like you, did you ever listen to the firm?
Speaker 4: No, but I think I have one album just because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's Jimmy Page Yes with Paul Rodgers on lead vocals.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The big radio hit was right Now, Active Black Crows No, it's possible to love an act and think they don't need to be in the rock Hall. Thank you, Voter two. I find them to be fantastic. I just don't think they're rock hallworthy. So Black Crows No agreed with these people. These people know what they're doing. Mariah Kerrey butter one. I buy the argument that she is influential. She's also a songwriter. I just don't love the material. In a world where everybody from Radiohead to Janet Jackson didn't get in on their first ballot, why was it such an outrage that she didn't either, Because last time she didn't get in. So they're kind of saying without saying, yeah, sure, but she can wait. It's like the Baseball Hall of Fame the way they treat that. Voter two said, I'm a huge fan. People forget how massive she was in the nineties and early adds. She's in the Songwriters Hall of Fame. She mixed pop, hip hop, soul, in R and B. She's excelled at it all.
Speaker 1: She should be in. To me, I don't like her.
Speaker 4: I don't see I'm just trying to think every band you name, if they should be in the Hall of fame. How many hits do they need to have at least?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, she's one who's got number one hit in the eighties, nineties.
Speaker 1: Two, and twenty tens. Yeah, she's got monster hits.
Speaker 4: Like, let's beyond me. I can't stand her as a person. No, she can't. Seems like a huge bitch and so that's why I just I'm out.
Speaker 2: Seems when you say huge, do you mean like metaphorically the bitchy factor?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, seems like yep, could be a nice gal.
Speaker 3: Chubby Checker voter one said this one bugs me. His career is overshadowed by one hit. The only reason Chubby recorded the Twist, which was an original song by Hank Ballard and the Midnighters.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that was a Hank Ballard song.
Speaker 3: Is because Dick Clark told him to Wow, this song is greater than the man. Butter two said, I was befuddled. I'm not sure why he was nominated.
Speaker 4: Actor KT told us that he just had like one hit that he kept trying to redo over it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was incredible.
Speaker 3: Joe Cocker in Butter one says, you're so beautiful up where we belong. Aren't priority songs in the history of rock and roll. You're basically voting for him as a song stylist. It's comparable to Chuby Checker and that the song slightly overshadowed the career.
Speaker 1: So he's not voting.
Speaker 3: Butter two says he sits in the Linda Ronstat type category. What his impact is I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's fair, that's fair to say he didn't have that big of an impact. I love his voice too. I love his voice.
Speaker 4: I just remember him from the Wonder Years theme song.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but does that get you in just having a good vie? Yeah yeah, maybe not Billy Idol. Billy Idol should be into me. Butter one, he's pop, he's punk, he's new wave. He even qualified as hair metal. If anything gets me to vote for Billy, it's a shape shifter nature. Voter two says, what do you think of eighty Silo Ax? He was huge, but this year there were other people I felt needed my vote more.
Speaker 1: Do they have a limited number of votes? Do you wonder? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, Joy Division Slash New Order. You guys know I'm in on them, but I get it. I hate that they're combined, though, Yeah, Voter one says, how many, however many times they appear, I'll check the box. The combination of the two bands is sensible, it's not cheating. Voter two said it's funny that the rock Hall and System lumping them together because they're so different in terms of their sound. They are, but when you're just looking at influence, they both continue to reverberate.
Speaker 2: Man, do you guys ever watch this dude his name is JJ Blair on Instagram where he pulls up all the tracks and just bounces around songs.
Speaker 1: I stumbled upon last night.
Speaker 2: He was doing Joy Divisions level Tear Us Apart, and there is so much stuff going on in that song that I didn't hear, like intricate guitar parts like wait what really interesting and real heavy on that song.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The main thing about them too, is that Peter Hook plays bass as a melodic instrument, you know, And so it's just it just puts me in a different category.
Speaker 1: Cindy Lauper, I mean, it'd.
Speaker 2: Be hypocritical for me to say Joe Cocker and Billie Idol should be and then say that Cindy Lauper shouldn't.
Speaker 1: She was huge in the ladies.
Speaker 3: Voter one. I think the world of her. I voted for a last time and I'll do it again. Cindy is a titanic vocalist. She's a songwriter. Yes, the career gets thin after the first two albums. Yeah, but what she achieved on those albums is greatness. And the fact that she's won award shot and Egott tells you the quality of her talent.
Speaker 2: She's an incredible Her voice is incredible. I can't even begin to explain to you, guys, was before you were born. She was on MTV every thirty minutes. Da I mean that girls just want to have fun thing. Oh my god, it was everywhere. Voter two, Cindy was number one for me on this ballot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was upset a few years ago and she didn't get in. Everyone associates her with the eighties in her first record, but she's so much more than that, which I'm kind of like, is she more than that?
Speaker 1: I don't even know that what she did to get a Tony I don't either.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: Manah, I'm unfamiliar.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no.
Speaker 3: Voter one says, there's a snowballs chance in hell. Manah, we'll get in unless we have enough voters who understand Latin rock.
Speaker 1: Or two said, I'm not very familiar with them, but when.
Speaker 3: We talk about popular music sometimes we get stuck in certain countries. I applied the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for saying, no, this is a rock band who is influential around the world.
Speaker 2: I would ask my homie Adrian Case out of the Black Pumas, do you think they should be in?
Speaker 1: Whatever he says, I would agree with.
Speaker 3: I would ask our engineer Ivan, I mean, they played like the American Airline Center when they're in town, you know, like they're big Oasis one. They are the turds in the punch bowl of rock and roll. I won't vote for them. I have a hard time seeing the influence Voter two though, they're so influential, almost in spite of themselves. They're massively popular in America, and people forget that. I voted them because the spectacle of them showing up would be hilarious. Liam said he would show up, really, Noel, Noel.
Speaker 1: Nol Yeah, Christmas, Christmas Gallagher. I think he would say the opposite of what Liam said. Legends. I mean, do they play stadiums that know and they're.
Speaker 3: Huge, and dude, I listened to this a couple of weeks ago, a live record of them from years ago, and it's effing awesome.
Speaker 2: It's so good, and there's a lot of music that's like this. But what I can't get beyond is like, I just know how dumb the lead singer is and the lyrics are so dumb to me, some of them, Like I mean, it's very like, yeah, I know, I know it's gas pumper guy, come back with lyrics, hold them back, But.
Speaker 1: This song is about us whatever.
Speaker 3: I want to live so as bad as though all right by want to fly, I don't want to live.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 2: I love Lenny Kravitz, and his lyrics are terrible. I get it out cast But one what took so long? No doubt, slam Dump, slam Dump.
Speaker 3: They're an act that hip hop heads and boring white people liked equally. Voter or two absolutely yes, a lot of East and West Coast hip hop. We need Southern hip hop influence there. They were genre defying and they will get in.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They're also the.
Speaker 3: Only hip hop group or a rapper you know they're gonna get in, which makes it look like a token type thing.
Speaker 2: But no, they were that that bombs over bag Dad era where they got uh.
Speaker 1: This one it sounded like earth Wind and Fire was.
Speaker 4: Also their album, that double album they released because I was high school at the time. Blow, Oh, I love Yes, I loved like every song.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all of that. Fifteen year old baby was like Jesus, this this is incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can't be beat a fifteen year old dude from only.
Speaker 4: You know, right, That's what I'm saying, Like I'm a little white girl crandle Yeah.
Speaker 1: Fish, Oh, Fish, let's go.
Speaker 4: Fish.
Speaker 1: I'm good voter one.
Speaker 3: If I were gonna rank this ballot, Fish should be dead last, big fat no, all the cliches apply.
Speaker 1: Hater, hater, absolutely a hater.
Speaker 2: Would you guys consider me a pretty big music fan. Do you have any Fish songs? I can name zero.
Speaker 4: Because there's so many.
Speaker 1: I can't name a single one.
Speaker 3: They're not radio band, they're not a studio band, they're not Voter two. I didn't appreciate Fish until I saw them live There You Go a few years ago. Trey inducted Genesis into the rock and roll and Fish played Watcher of the Skies. That unlocked something in my head. I realized they're not a jam band. They're a prog rock band, all right, which is I see that now.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 3: He also thought that he or she thought that other people deserved it more though. So it's a popular vote for them.
Speaker 2: It's popular music, and nobody knows any of their songs unless they're just devotees and go to their shows.
Speaker 4: I just I think it's impressive that they've gone as long as they have, and they they usually don't repeat songs at any concerts.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, never.
Speaker 2: It's impressive they could repeat songs and I wouldn't know because I don't know any of their songs.
Speaker 1: We'll go a minute later, Okay.
Speaker 3: Soundgarden and Voter one they were in the Seattle scene long before Nirvana even released an album. I'm trying to find room for them because they deserve it. Voter two said Cornell's voice is unreal. They were a classic band. So I voted for them. It's long overdue their layup.
Speaker 2: For me, the biggest layups on this whole thing are Outcast and Sound Garden.
Speaker 1: White Stripes and butter One. I love the White Stripes.
Speaker 3: I'll confess I didn't vote for them a few years ago because I thought they didn't need my vote because it would be a slam dunk. I won't make that mistake again. Jack White is a walking history of rock and roll. Meg White is an underrated drummer. She's not flashy. She was the right drummer for that band. I hope that they get in. She can overcome her stage fright and appear with Jack m That would be awesome. A voter two said, I voted for them. They single handedly kicked off so much of what was defined as rock the Strokes and then onward into all the post punk with Franz Ferdinand. Meg's drumming was so unique and the White Stripes wouldn't have worked without her. Over the years, there's been more of a reassessment of her drumming because there was so much misogyny and sexism directed toward her. People are finally saying, no, they were equals. I don't think people are saying that. They're saying that, but I think they are saying the whole ringo thing of like, not the greatest drummer, but works for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also the records got better.
Speaker 1: When with that. Don't worry with that, what go ahead? Just the song? Okay, coming up nuts. Let's do a little sport, shall we. What do we have Katie? The Cowboys lost out on another wide receiver. H God kill me.
Speaker 2: He walked out the door. It's the Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one the Eagle. Thank you for hanging out with us on a Friday. I got a great idea for you. On a Friday. If you're in Dallas, head down to that Farmers Market where her Toto Barbecue is. Oh my god, it's so good. Man Mexicue at its fine is so delicious. And that location at the Farmers Market is so cool. We did a show there about a month ago. Had so much fun. Great bar area, so cool. When the weather is like this, I can't imagine a better place to be Farmers Market on a Saturday. And then you make sure to hit up her Toto Barbecue. Do that tomorrow, do it tonight, and do it again tomorrow. They're also in the eight one seven in Arlington Mansfield and then the Medical District of Fort Worth as well as Globe Life and don't forget coming up here next Thursday baseball season gets going. Her Tottle Barbecue is at Globe Life and the Ben and skin show is going to be broadcasting from Live by Low's right by Texas Live. We're gonna have an outdoor party. We'll have the game on during the game. If you don't have tickets, it's gonna be amazing, a big celebration. Uh so go see for yourself. But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 1: It's good listeners. Here comes kt for tweets with a round.
Speaker 5: Now it's come around the sports.
Speaker 9: KTU Queens has all the sports.
Speaker 3: Yea A MAV's mien it for you in about twenty five minutes. Uh, Cowboys Today, Brandon Cooks has signed a two year deal with the Saints. Okay, I go back about two years, thirteen million dollars.
Speaker 1: That's not much.
Speaker 3: It's not much, but how much guaranteed? You know, I'm not even sure. I bet like ten psam, I was. I'm good. Moving on, we got a draft a guy. That's where we're at now. So that's happening. Michael Gallup. I saw that out of retirement signing with the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 1: Wow, so good for him. Good dude, Oh lovely dude.
Speaker 2: I just thought that the injuries had eating his lunch and oh wait, hold on, do you have how old he is?
Speaker 1: You know what, I would imagine he's twenty nine as my guess. I was going to say twenty nine, just going off of years. Twenty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet that is the hardest sports. Take a year off and come back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. But you know he was coming back from a knee injury. So uh, you know, we'll see he's he's dealt with a lot too. He had a brother who killed himself. A lot going on, welcome back to him if he makes the team, and a lot you never know in a in CAA tournament is real quick.
Speaker 2: Robert Morris lost today. Have you been following this, Christina?
Speaker 4: Not at all? No?
Speaker 1: Why is he so big on this?
Speaker 4: I don't know?
Speaker 9: Is it? Oh?
Speaker 4: Okay, never mind?
Speaker 3: I remember yesterday, So the megachurch pastor up in Oklahoma, Robert Morris of Gateway Church turned himself in on.
Speaker 1: Child sex abuse charges.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound very holy, but that came out the day that Robert Morris was entered into the Robert Morrise the college who has no affiliation, a small school up in Pennsylvania, no affiliation. And I'm like, man, if you search Robert Morris, the first thing you won't see is Robert Morris University, the little engine that could that snuck into the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 1: You get that jack wad.
Speaker 2: That reminds me of when Sandusky Junior College in Iowa was going into the National Junior College Championship Tournament.
Speaker 1: Terrible just got overshadowed.
Speaker 3: So the ringer did this cool thing, and it's the one hundred best sports moments of the century since two thousand, right.
Speaker 1: And I went through.
Speaker 3: And found some of these that are interesting to me, but also some of them that involved DFW okay, And I got to tell you, man, it's not a good look.
Speaker 1: Not a good.
Speaker 3: Number ninety nine the Luca trade, which you know maybe in five, ten, fifteen years that might be reevaluated on a list like this.
Speaker 4: So this isn't best sports moment.
Speaker 1: This is well there.
Speaker 3: The criteria is a lot of things, the wow factor that you know, the shock of it, the enjoyment, how much was it talked about?
Speaker 1: You know, it's all blessings. So what is the overarching thing the one hundred most what best sports moments of the century? Best sports moments?
Speaker 4: Yeah? See this, I mean this would be best for Lakers fans.
Speaker 3: I think I think for NBA fans, I think there's a lot of fodder. Sure, a lot of things to talk about, so much of it is just shock. And what they did too on a lot of these is they put how would you explain this to someone who doesn't follow sports?
Speaker 1: Which I thought was really good?
Speaker 2: Man, Did I tell you what Popshalda what he described it as?
Speaker 1: No, he.
Speaker 2: Compared the Luca trade to the American evacuation of Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, you know that's deeper than mine.
Speaker 2: And I sat there and I started thinking about as like, this is an amazing analogy that I would never come.
Speaker 3: Up with, but that is way better than mine because mine was and I get I got a giggle in the household from it was, uh, it's like if you know, like I really like my neighbor's refrigerator, and it was like, hey, do you want my car?
Speaker 1: I played well in this room too.
Speaker 4: Okay, good maybe, especially if you have some like super expensive car.
Speaker 3: God, my refrigerators makes that it's got this noisy thing. I have to go slam the freezer to get it's me.
Speaker 1: It's a freezer that sucks, but mind yeah.
Speaker 4: Number seventy seven household Turner.
Speaker 1: The des didn't catch it. Game sucks.
Speaker 4: What is happening?
Speaker 3: Well, there the timing, you know, influential, big time, you know what, But who is this great for?
Speaker 1: I mean, it was terrible for our buddy.
Speaker 4: Well maybe people just hate us, right, people just hate They just hate the Metroplex and Dallas Cowboys fans. They're like, so good, guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's just the idea of this thing happened, and it's good if you're it's just like a crazy sports thing that happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, number seventy three. So it's the craziest sports moments.
Speaker 4: Now, what is this? When Dirk retired?
Speaker 2: No should have made it that last times a minute two thousand and seven loss to the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 3: Seventy three Scottie chef were arrested, okay, and then bails himself out and shoots five hunder in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: I need to try to get with the people at the Ringer and understand what the adjective best means to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting, Look, don't focus on that so much. Number one OJ Number seventy one. David Freese puts Saint Louis on his back.
Speaker 1: Why what are we doing.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: If you're a Cardinals fan, it's a great moment. Every moment on this list is about our pain. This one's not. Number sixty nine.
Speaker 3: A drive into Deep Left by Castianos after playby I announcer Tom Brenneman on air, while thinking he's off air, called the city of Kansas City weirdly, Oh, I thought it was San Francisco too, And maybe they're talking about I think it was San Francisco.
Speaker 1: That was a home game in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: No I know, but I think they were going to out to I think that a series coming up with San Francisco.
Speaker 1: And he was going in on the city at the f capital.
Speaker 3: Yeah Jesus, and he said it, yeah, get your theory on how harsh you say something?
Speaker 1: Yes matters?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, oh boy, nobody has ever emphasized the G at the edge of that word.
Speaker 1: That hard.
Speaker 4: God. And then the silence after because you know what, producers in his ear saying hey, oh, your mic is hot.
Speaker 2: Your mic is hot, and then he's going undone, They've all discovered what I'm really about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Costiano says he always does, and then come on, dude.
Speaker 1: So good all right?
Speaker 3: Number sixty one I have an audio component, Christina. Yeah, I didn't think bowling would be on here.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, strike exclaim it, strike exclaim it.
Speaker 1: That's so good.
Speaker 4: As who you are?
Speaker 1: Who do you think you are?
Speaker 3: I am?
Speaker 2: There's so many amazing moments in that where you're not sure who he's talking to.
Speaker 4: You doubted me?
Speaker 1: Are you gonna hang me? It's like no one doubted you aren't the best bowler.
Speaker 4: It's like, dude, like five people are here watching you.
Speaker 2: Man, he's asking himself if he's kidding himself, who do you think you are?
Speaker 1: I am? His veins are popping out of his head. I love the passion. It's so good. It really does feel like Kingpin number fifty. Yeah, Kingpin. Have you seen king Pin?
Speaker 7: Christina?
Speaker 1: Good? Oh you haven't, Oh you would love Kingpin. It's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm it's the tone of what their movies are, like. Bill Murray is amazing, Woody's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's it's so good.
Speaker 3: Randy Quaid's amazing. Yeah, I found out thing. It's like it's like they take twenty five movies from every year since two thousand, this is New York Times whatever, and it's like these were our favorite movies, and I'm just thinking about going through there and just kind of check marking the ones I haven't seen, okay.
Speaker 1: And then man, I'm gonna whittle it down even more than that because.
Speaker 3: I the one that really I think is bothering me that everyone says I need to see is outside of Booge Knights is either No Country for Old Men or there will be blood.
Speaker 2: So for my personal taste, no Country for Old Men old men is better than there will be blood. There will be blood is great, but it's a hall like it's kind of like the brutalist.
Speaker 3: Do you want to kind of like do some ikia furniture work while you're watching it to get through it?
Speaker 2: You're you're basically you're lugging something up a hill. Oh, it's a lot of work, but it's it's it's an And do you know who did the soundtrack on it?
Speaker 1: Uh, Steve No, Johnny Greenwood? Have Johnny green Wood, son of a Bitch. Yeah, Now I'm in.
Speaker 2: It's a great movie, but you need to you know, your soul will not feel invigorated.
Speaker 4: I never does some of my favorite kind of movie.
Speaker 1: It never does.
Speaker 2: No Country for Old Men is It's least similar tonally, but it's just like so dynamic cool.
Speaker 4: I remember attempting to watch one of those and there was literally no dialogue for like ten to fifty. There will be blood, okay, and so I tapped out castaway fat.
Speaker 2: But seriously, Christina, you know, sent it the other day and I posted on the Eagle account when Green Day did the exact speech that Dirk Diggler did when he won the Porn Award. They did the exact speech word for word, and I never knew that bit. And I'm sitting there watching this, going, how have Katie and Christina not seen Boogie Knights because we're just you know, we're sheltered Jurassic Park.
Speaker 3: I'll watch not I actually went to Jurassic Park this weekend. Come here, Randy and kills a bird number fifty amazing, kind of like when I watched that guy kill a bird off the T box at Lakewood Country Club. Skin twenty eight, Ye twenty eight, Jose Bautista bat flip against the Rangers. Now do you remember? Do you remember how this went down? Though it was a real live Donny Brook. No, it was game five of that series of series Tagic two, The Winter advances in Toronto, and we were waiting because it was a day game, and we were sitting there going, okay, playoff ratings and we're going the air when this game's over, so it wants to go to extra innings.
Speaker 1: Great, whatever happens here.
Speaker 3: But what happened is the catcher for the Blue Jays and the top of the fifth is throwing the ball back to the pitcher and it hit choose bat and Elvis was on third base because he's just throwing the ball back to the picture and the ball ricochets off to the dugout and Elvis was on third and scored. Oh, and everyone's like, that's not illegal, legal even though it is. The catcher shouldn't have thrown it in to choose bat. And then the fans start throwing trash on the field and there's a big delay. So the crowd is louder than they've ever been. As we go to the bottom of the fifth and the Rangers have a one run lead. I did not remember that ground ball to Elvis. He fumbles it. Okay, guy gets on the next play ground ball to Mitch Moreland. Mitch Moreland throws it to second Elvis bobbles it, and then you have runners on first and second, ground ball to Beltray Belchray throws it to Elvis and Elvis fumbles that one at second.
Speaker 1: Bay's three plays in a row where Elvis had a misplay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Bautista comes in and hits a three run home run and he flips the bat. Yep, but I forgot about the chain of events and it is like the wildest ending of baseball ever ever.
Speaker 2: God, Elvis, I remember all that we were at a bar.
Speaker 1: Weren't we were we?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: I think we were at the Pluckers. Oh, we were pluckers to that one. Okay, there's that. And then twenty seven the Odell Beckham catch on Brandon Carr. Oh my god, Yes, there's that list of stuff. So that was good, dude.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed that. Fine.
Speaker 4: It didn't start out great, but it ended well.
Speaker 1: Christina, give Kat a compliment. Good job Kat, she did before that.
Speaker 4: Man, take two days off.
Speaker 2: Hey man, yeah, you can come back on Monday. Uh, coming up next? What's in the weekday update?
Speaker 1: Tizzl.
Speaker 3: Well, something we need to tell you about about one of the good dudes in the community that brought Alice Cooper's fan back together. We do need to tell you something serious about that. And man, I got a wild science story for It's gonna blow your nuts off. Oh my god, I love having my nuts blown off. That's all next right here on ninety seven point one the Eagle. All right, it's time for your MAVs Minute, brought to you by the Sunset at McKinnie Amphitheater.
Speaker 1: You can own a piece of Dallas's.
Speaker 2: Mosy luxurious Amphitheater coming to McKinney in twenty twenty six. Go to Sunset Texas dot com. MAVs play tonight, Detroit Pistons. All the talk is that. Okay, so we've talked about this. Kessler Edwards is playing his last game as a Maverick tonight. I'm assuming he's going to play night. Then he doesn't have any more eligibility left, so they still have games to play. We'll see how this whole thing plays out. But that's why you're hearing chatter about possibly forfeiting.
Speaker 1: Games next week.
Speaker 2: I was just going record, there's no way the NBA allows a team to forfeit a game in advance. It is not happening. It would cost way too many millions of dollars they would give them a special exemption. I'm hoping Kessler Edwards can play more than just tonight, but if this is his last game, thank you Kessler for everything you did for the Mavericks. You bawled your ass off, dude playing you're a small forward, playing center and power forward.
Speaker 1: Great work.
Speaker 2: I hope a team picks him up next year and he can become a full time NBA player. That is your MAVs minute. Now, don't forget seven o'clock pregame seven thirty tip. You'll have Coop and DeMars on the call right here on nine seven point one the Eagle. Go to Sunset Texas dot com for more information. That's Sunset Texas dot com for more information on how you can own a fire pit suite or join the ape Man Club for the sunset at McKinney Amphitheater.
Speaker 1: But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 5: And now it's time for BASI Sweet Day of Day featuring veteran news anchor kt fun tweets. Here are the important stories he's currently tracking from around the world.
Speaker 1: Well, so let the Downer one lead off and then we'll have some fun.
Speaker 3: Okay, but a friend of ours and a guy who's been a fixed dure in the Dallas music scene since the you know, late nineties, early two thousands. Chris Penn, who's a co owner of Good Records, suffered a very, very bad injury earlier in the week. He was working at Good Records, which he's a co owner of. It's in Garland East, Dallas area.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we used to be on Greenville Avenue. He's out there off Garland Road.
Speaker 2: Now they actually have an in store with Charlie Crockett two scheduled for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And he's the he's the guy who's stringing all that together man, and he's a hard worker. He's been managing Tripping Daisy and the Polyphonic Spree for all these years.
Speaker 1: Everybody loves Crispin. He's just the nicest.
Speaker 3: Guy ever too. Him and love his wife Jennifer, have known her for a long time as well. And uh, Tim de Lauter, of the elite singer of Tripping Daisy and the Polyphonic Spree, put out a big Instagram post just kind of letting everyone know what's going on. So Chris was working and he was putting up some signage and obviously its real windy out there.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that had to do.
Speaker 3: With it, but basically he was hanging advertising details in the front window and he fell and he landed directly on his back. Now he's had back issues and it's aggravated some spinal issues that he has had, and he is paralyzed all right. I don't know if there's an update today, but as of this yesterday, paralyzed from the neck down.
Speaker 2: When when Tim I saw a post, probably the poster you're looking at the weight and there's a very long name for the condition he has, and I probably should have taken the time to google it, but I'm pretty sure that's the same condition that ended Michael Irvin's playing career.
Speaker 3: Kilosing spondylitis and ossification. Yeah, it's it's like, uh, hey, he crushed over here. It's like a narrowing of the spinal column.
Speaker 2: And I think I'm almost positive that's why Michael Irvin had to retire from the NFL.
Speaker 3: Because, yeah, it was spinal cord I remember that in Philadelphia it's spinal cord injury.
Speaker 1: This bruised his spinal cord.
Speaker 3: Basically, the family set up a you know, a GoFundMe and all that. I know, I've posted about it, and I've seen some of our friends post about it on you know, Twitter and Instagram and all that. I'm at kt fun tweets if you want to get down on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is it currently on your story? It was on my Instagram story. I tweeted about it this morning as well, so you can see that there. I think like, uh, we should probably take Tim's post and put it on the Eagles story night at some point, ye an Eagle story so that people you know, Because again, if you're a part of the music scene, you're a part of the music scene, no matter what kind of music you like. And if you're a rock fan, they got tons of great rock records over at Good Records, and Chrispin is a big, a big part of that. And even if you just donate twenty five dollars, there's so many people that are gonna do it.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be huge for him, Chris and Jennifer. They got three kiddos. Chris a huge MAVs fan too.
Speaker 3: Of course, I'm sure it might hit you up every now and then about stuff when it was the mass So yeah, not good. It's terrible to see that last night, but trying to get the word out for that. A lot going on. I mean he's helping string together tripping days. He's gonna come back and go on tour and do a record and all that, or I start talking about doing that stuff. I mean, did he got Alice Cooper and his crew back together? There is a story there. I don't fully know all the details of it. But he was hosting a Alice Cooper like like live at Good Records a couple of years ago. And uh so, I don't know, like I think he did a movie or a documentary type thing.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I mean, dude, Chris has got his hands in a lot of things. He's a character. And I mean that in a good way.
Speaker 1: I don't mean no he is.
Speaker 3: I mean, dude, you know the Polyphonic Christmas Show every year, he's the guy you'll see on a ladder up there, just about to clip the thing to make the balloons fall on all the kids. Like he's just he's kind of music Santa Claus and uh yeah, so it's a bummer and uh so go support Chriz if you there's that story. Man, I saw this. My question is genius or idiot? Okay, I'll let you guys, are those things mutually exclusive? I don't know, all right, I let you guys be the judge. We got a Madison County, Tennessee, which there might be a red flag. Four suspects accused of robbing a convenience store using an unusual weapon. And he guesses dyl I was gonna say, vibrator, Yeah close, Oh, pythons.
Speaker 1: Okay, what world are you involved in?
Speaker 3: Cops have obtained surveillance footage showing the suspects walk into the convenience store. It's four of them, and they're holding two ball pythons. At one point, one of the suspects puts one of the snakes on the counter while another one dangled a second one over the counter, and the cashiers freaked out and moving away from the area. They get into the cash ear box. Now they only got like four hundred dollars. But the point is, you know, that's a little different than going in with the gun. Okay, but going in with the snake.
Speaker 1: I have a question, don't like most people have a gun?
Speaker 3: Now, Well, yeah you want. If you want aggravated assault charges, go ahead, bud.
Speaker 2: But if you come in with a snake and be like, Oh, you brought a snake to a gunfight, then you shoot the snake.
Speaker 1: Oh you said the cashiers can't.
Speaker 4: Yes, they probably most are.
Speaker 1: I would think most cashiers or arm.
Speaker 3: Never once gone to a convenience store. Man, they're on in and thought that guy's packing. I recently watched I recently rewatched. Uh.
Speaker 2: There's a whole documentary about the history of Watts and what happened first with the watch rights, but then the Rodney King and what a lot of people forget. There is a story right after Rodney King where a sixteen year old African American teenager went into a store and the layers like, you're stealing something.
Speaker 1: She's like, no, I'm not.
Speaker 2: She turned around and walked out, and the cashiers shot her in the back and killed her and got off.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. So what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Is, if you work in a place where you get stuck up, you know a lot, there's a lot of stick ups.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably arm yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I would say they're not smart, but creative. Not smart because the other person could have had a gun and just shot them. And two, there's only four hundred bucks in that thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I've been early in the day.
Speaker 4: There's cameras freaking everywhere. You're so dumb, it's very dumb.
Speaker 2: I think we're at a time and you know, in the history of capitalism where people aren't gonna have cash at places.
Speaker 1: Unless it's a bank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe, like so many people use debit cards and credit card.
Speaker 1: You know, two quick science stores for you. Okay.
Speaker 3: The space station astronauts that we reported on heavily earlier in the week they returned. What we've learned today is they were scowed by the man.
Speaker 1: They were only getting five dollars a day.
Speaker 3: What now, there's salaries one hundred and fifty k a year, but they were only getting five dollars a day for the two hundred and eighty five days they were trapped on the International Space Station.
Speaker 1: That's not a good deal.
Speaker 4: There's a lawsuit coming.
Speaker 3: That's a thousand, that's like fifteen, that's terrible. And that's well, we got their meals and lodging and their transportation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but our lives were in danger for longer than they were supposed to be.
Speaker 3: And also in AI news, we've determined, due to a new study that AI doesn't know how to tell time. It's confused by the minute and hour hand on a clock. He I doesn't know how to do that.
Speaker 1: It needs a digital clock.
Speaker 3: So if you want to feel better than the robots that are going to take us over, just know that you can tell time and they can't.
Speaker 1: That your struggle with it too. Yeah, okay, there's a science update from KT