Speaker 1: And here we go with a Minnesota goodbybe and feeling a little bit off all day today and things because I woke up at two thirty in the morning to go pee. Well I woke up and I didn't want to pee, because if you go pee, then you wake all the way up. And I'm like, okay, I'm gonna go pee. I go pee, come back to bed. I lay there about an hour and fifteen minutes or maybe more, and then I get back to sleep just in time for the alarm clock to go off. So I got about four and a half hours of sleep last night.
Speaker 2: That's not a lot.
Speaker 3: That's not not a lot. That's about what I get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is it? No?
Speaker 3: I averaged more like five and a.
Speaker 1: Half every night.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, week nights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I lost out when I get six, But now I'm just kind of used to getting six, so it's all right. It's not the end of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. It's just anyway. So I'm a little bit like sideways today. Anyway, I thought it was a little fun fact here from Tracy writes in and said, is Tracy from the Shine Down Cruise. You might not remember me, but I'll never forget that night meeting you all. It was a highlight of my summer and quite possibly my life.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's very I remember you, Tracy.
Speaker 1: And she goes on to talk about how the morning shows talked about the State Fair every single year in the past. I've never been so disappointed that I didn't get to go and see you guys. I figured it out. That's because the four of you are true magic and so relatable. I find it so cup filling to be around you and share a little moment of life together. That is very, very sweet. So she was talking about how she wasn't able to see us at the State Fair and which sucks because you know, our schedules don't always align with your schedule, and we were out there a lot. But I know, you know, you got to work and you got life going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then they talk a very cool story about how their dad built the beer castle at the Renaissance Fair back in the mid eighties. Nice and it's still there and it's been several different things. They used to sell nuts there and they would say, come beneath the King's Nuts, Yes, And I had no idea what that meant until I got older. The cool part is my dad only took partial payment, and the other part of the payment was free admission for our family to the Renaissance Fair. For years, we went all the time, very nostalgic. I'm not sure if dad is still around or what. But that building is now forty years old and her dad built it and she puts a picture of that in there, So Tracy, I'll swing it around there, Bailey, do you recognize that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I think they sell mead there and they still sell like beer. Yeah, what is mead? Mead is a honey alcohol, so it's kind of it's got like a similar kind of feel to like soake, but it's sweeter.
Speaker 3: They will always bring it up when he says that I dress like I work at the Renaissance Festival, and I just pretend like I've known what it is for years. But I would like it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you would like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Susan had some yesterday. We went yesterday with the girls to the Renaissance Festival. We went by the chocolate booth that you normally worked at, and there's a woman out there who's probably liked and going chocolate, get your chocolate, chocolate and you said that you feel weird working at the Renaissance Festival because you're older than everybody.
Speaker 2: Now I am. When I started working there, I was like one of three women who were like in their late twenties early thirties, and now I am the only person who is over eighteen that I work with. So everybody is a teenager in high school, and some of them have the worst work ethic.
Speaker 1: I thought you're gonna say body odor.
Speaker 2: No, no, okay, none of them smell, which is nice. They're bad ethic, yeah, awful work ethic. But like one of them, like his dad is one of the performers, so he's like, well, I guess I'll have my kid work here. But god, that kid is a terrible worker. And it's like him and his like doofy buddy, and I just like, I don't like when people who are teenagers boss me around. I don't like that because I'm their manager, and I don't think they know that I'm the manager. But when I say, do to boss you, Okay, So we have to go and get chocolate from like a refrigerator so it doesn't sit outside melt all day. So we have to make like runs to go and get stock. And so literally all I said to this kid was could you go and get some more strawberries? And he looked at me dead in the face, and he said, why can't you go? Oh oh my god, Oh I said bad. I said, I said, well, I need you to go and get it. He's like, I've been getting them all day. And I said, well, sometimes that's a part of your job. Yeah, oh my god, I cannot. And so I kept having to tell these dopey boys like you guys gotta stop chatting. They'd be like, can we go and break together? Like okay, fine, you can go and break together in this lull of time, and then they're gone for like forty minutes, But like, where are the where are the boys? Like what is happening right now?
Speaker 1: I think that you are not the first person who's thirty three or thirty four to say these kids have got no work ethic. I actually hear that a lot and I and I think that, man, if you are eighteen or twenty two years old, then you've got a great work ethic. Yeah, you are going to shine, yes, because you know, let me know, because if you work with younger people and we're not we don't want to be the show that's like, bah, these children, these youth of today. Yeah, but if you work with younger people, let me know whether you think that they have a great work ethic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I won't say that they're all bad, because like, some of them are good. It's just I feel like it's strange to me because I've done retail for so long to have to explain that you need to say hello to someone when they walk up, because some of them, like, yeah, they have decent work ethic, they're like decent at their job, but they'll just smile at someone when someone walks up and I'm like say something, Yeah, you need to speak right now, and they're like, oh okay, Hi, Like hello, can I interest you in some chocolate today? Oh? Here's what we have? This? This this like you have to talk to the people, you guys. You can't just stand there and stare at them.
Speaker 1: I was at the Renaissance Festival yesterday and it was kind of funny, speaking of work ethic. When you park, you know, they direct you down this row and there's somebody with a flag that's like, you know, park here. There was a woman and two guys probably all around eighteen years old. She was doing all the work. The guys were standing there with their flag limply hanging at their side, doing nothing, and she was the one directing people in and Susan was the one that brought it up. She's like, why did they need three people to do that? The other two are literally standing there doing nothing, and I'm like, well, the Renaissance Festival could save a little bit of money by hiring a few less people to stand there with an orange flag. Next email, Good morning, everybody. Just want to share that last year we made it to the fairy were all there and my excited son Mason got to beat all of you. Dave did a magic trick with him and we got pictures in, chatted and made some great memories. This year, we didn't make it out until yesterday. Despite this child of mine crashing his bike the night before and skirting his toenail on the ground off on the ground, he was still pumped to walk around all day and hoped to see you. We made it to the booth and saw Bailey. Yeah, Mason and Mindy, Yep, that's exactly right. We went up and talked to her for a while about her Pronto puppy ear rings which you're wearing right to know and the show, and she offered me a dart Lick shirt. As she went to go look for it, my ten year old looked at me and said dart Lick A. I quickly told him it was not appropriate shirt for kids and I would buy him a different shirt. Bailey then turned around and gave us both I'm calling HR shirts. He was so excited, so I want to say thank you, Bailey. She definitely didn't have to do that, but I'm grateful because he forgot about his sore toes for a while and now he has his shirt from his favorite morning show. I love that.
Speaker 2: Yay. They were talking about the Minnesota Goodbye, so I was like, Okay, these are like real true fans here. So I swear we had dart Lick shirts. I couldn't find any of them, but I'm calling HR were right there. Was like, well, Mason, you're not in HR yet because you're still in school, but I don't know you can be the only kids cool with an HR shirt.
Speaker 1: I love it. Thank you, Mason. That is Mindy and Blaine. I got your address, Mindy, so I will send you a staff writer shirt. Next one Happy September. First, where did the summer go? Dave, I've got a flying question. I was driving down one sixty nine a day and I saw a plane carrying an advertising sign behind it. Well, that's what they call a banner toe. So you get an airplane and it's towing around something this say, is like lining Googles or bown.
Speaker 3: What kept flying over the What was it? It was high noon. It's like a Seltzer drink or something.
Speaker 1: Okay, my question is does it make landing harder when descending? That's good question. They don't take off or land with the banner. They take off and then they fly over a field and they hook the banner with like it looks like a giant like fish hook that hooks the banner and then they pull it along the ground for a little while till they get some speed up, and then they take off with the banner. Then when they're done, they don't land with the banner. They drop it. They go buy the field again and they pull a release handle and they drop it onto the field. So now you know, well the more you know. Number two, do you have to have a special license or special approval to do that? With banners or advertisements. Yes, it is called the commercial license. So in other words, I can fly all I want, but I can't get paid for it or do it for hire. So, for example, if somebody said, Dave, will you take me up, I'm going to pay you two hundred dollars. I've got a photography business, and I will pay you two hundred dollars if you take me up so I can take pictures. I can't do that because I am not commercially allowed to get paid. So they have a commercial license if you don't get approval. If you have to get approval and don't, is there a fine? Yeah, if they catch You're really random, I know, But Dave is the only pilot I could ask love. The show is always keep on keeping on dart, lickety lickety dart dart. Very creative.
Speaker 3: Lucas a different kind of skill to be able to fly those banners than what you have and have learned.
Speaker 1: I probably could do it, but to get the commercial license you have to learn a lot more, and that's just something I've never been interested in. So mine allows me to go up, take friends, take family, I can even I can take strangers. Whatever I cannot charge you for it, but we can share expenses. So that is a really vague thing. So let's say if the flight costs two hundred dollars, and I can't charge Jenny the entire two hundred dollars, but we can share expenses. But that's where it gets a little bit vague. Like I could charge Jenny one hundred and ninety nine dollars of it and I pay one dollar, and we're still sharing expenses. But I can't, like, you know, like Jenny and her friends all want to go to Eau Claire for the weekend. I can't say, Okay, yeah, fifty dollars a piece, hop in. I can't do that, but you can if you are a commercially licensed pilot. Let's see next one. Hello Davin, who current and past? Michael? I guess this is her son and that is him there in the picture that you can't see. Grow up listening to the Dave Ryan Show. It's his favorite. He's been on the show twice and recently called in on No Phone Screen or Friday to tell you how important you all are and how happy you make people through the radio. He is genuinely your number one fan. Yesterday was his eighth birthday and all he wanted to do was meet Vaunt at the fair. Not only did Vaant take his picture with him, but he talked to him for a good while about the fair, school and his birthday. Then he gave him this HR shirt. He will grow into it and it made his entire day. At nine pm on the bus, we asked what was his favorite thing of the fair, and with no hesitation, he said, Vaunt, for sure.
Speaker 2: Ah, you have to forward with this, Davant for sure.
Speaker 1: So for the bottom of my heart, thank you for all the joy you bring your listeners and for making my eight year old son's day every morning. That's from Eron and Michael. That's vont leak forward that right now. Okay, I think we have time for maybe one or two more. Okay, Hi, I like that greeting. Okay Hi, It's been a while since I've written in, but just catching up on Thursday's show podcast and Vaunt is talking about grandparents' names and I had to share because Vaunt says his mom wants to be called Gig if she becomes a grandparent. Growing up, we called one of our grandma's GG because my oldest cousin called her that first and it stuck. And then since we were so unorginal, my sister and I for our other grandma grandmother called her gog g go go gog goggy gogo. Okay, I'm not shitting you. We called her that or shortened to go go her entire life. I think that's great. Lastly, my mom with my kids and her other grandkids my sister's kids, is called yah Ya. She kind of pushed the agenda with that name, but she loves it, and now the five grandkids call her ya Ya and would never call her grandma. Ps change of subject. I like Bailey's thirst trap picture. Cute and sassy, but modas very demure.
Speaker 2: Very mind Thank you, very tom. We're very mindful.
Speaker 1: Love you guys from your fellow and over and over Ian and over Ian Okay, grade below Bailey, that is Carrie. Thank you, Carrie, appreciate that. And as is there they are husky, where the cool? Who was your rival back then?
Speaker 3: Oh? No?
Speaker 2: Tornadoes?
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We would say we're the real a town, even though they were there first. But we'd be like, yeah, but we're the real ones. It was stupid.
Speaker 1: That's funny, Okay, next one, from Kevin. I'm going to shorten it up a little bit just because we're getting short on time. Glad to hear you're doing well. Congrats Dave on hiking Pike's Peak. First of all, I know it's out of your control, but I want to bring it to your attention. I heard somebody last week mentioned hearing ninety seconds of commercials, which prompted me to write in I Return with Vacation two weeks ago, and ever since then, I've been getting a ton more ads on the iHeart app. We're talking three minutes of continuous ads smack in the middle of the podcast, rather than the usual thirty to sixty seconds. As all. He's the worst is when they cut right in the middle of your conversations. But I digress. I know it's not your fault. Just wanted to make sure you were aware seeing pass it on the powers that be. I know it's never worked before, but it's worth a shot. Secondly, somebody yesterday wrote in saying they saw a post from a local restaurant announcing Drake as a Raffle winner, but referring to him as Dave. I was wondering if anybody had heard any updates on this. I found the post myself and was surprised nobody else had noticed it as of yet. I zoomed in on the check and was able to make out the last name, which was Drake's last name, and so there's no question that's him. Inquiring minds are curious, is he going to college hence en rolling in a back to school raffle? Best of luck to Drake, Dave or whatever his name is. I don't think we have any more information on that at all, do we?
Speaker 3: No, we don't. I haven't talked off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm living for the commitment to the zooming in on the check though, like.
Speaker 3: One, I zoomed in on it too, because it does a Dave on the channe.
Speaker 1: But his real name is not Dave, unless he's been telling me, you.
Speaker 3: Know, no, not a his real name is not Dave. That's why it's all very very strange.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, anyway, thanks for always bringing joy to my workdays. And sorry I couldn't catch it at the fair. I did meet Dave when I was fifteen. I've sent the photo in an earlier email, but I've yet to run into any of you again. Hopefully our past cross again in the future. All right from Kevin. Thank you, Kevin. I appreciate that. When our next big event is Bailey's birthday party, heck yeah, which is coming up on September nineteenth. That's what's it called again.
Speaker 2: It's at Forgotten Star Brewing, Okay, and we don't have all the details yet, so obviously keep an eye.
Speaker 1: Out for that from by five until seven on September nineteenth. Also, I just get a little plug in here on for Rogers' Rescue Ride and the Pause for Pause cribbage tournament, which is coming up on the twelfth.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have that right in my planner. It's the eleventh.
Speaker 1: Is it the eleventh Wednesday? And that's going to be a Broken Clock Brewing.
Speaker 3: I know you were doing another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of flown under the radar a little bit because we've had so much to talk about that. I haven't really talked that much about it. But if you play cribbage and you want to win some cool prizes and it's a fundraiser for Pause for Pause, just google search. It's a messed up website name for Pause for Pause and they hate it as much as I do. But it's pa u s E the number four, then pause PAWS so you're pausing for pause, p A U s E the number four, PAWS MN dot O RG. So it is just a crappy web address. They know it, I know it. But if you go on there and click on events, you can sign up for either the Rescue Ride or the cribbage tournament. And that is going to wrap it up for today's Minnesota Goodbye Ryan Show at KDWB dot com