Speaker 1: This is later with Lee Matthews the Lee Matthews Podcast. More what you hear Weekday Afternoon is on the Drive.
Speaker 2: Stanley Milford Junior graduated from the United States Indian Police Academy at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Artisia, New Mexico, worked continuously as an officer for over twenty three years. He's written about his experiences in a very unusual memoir, The Paranormal Ranger, A Navajo Investigator's search for the Unexplained. And we're joined now by Stanley Milford Junior.
Speaker 3: Hello, good morning, lead.
Speaker 2: Good have you here, sir? So can you tell me here? Can you tell me the first paranormal experience you had as an officer.
Speaker 3: As an officer, one of the early earliest cases, even before I was a part of the Special Projects unit, was a what would be turned as a livestock utilation case, and it involved a family that had lost twenty six sheep within their sheep crown. They woke up and all of these sheep, each individual sheep was slit from the throat area, neck area all the way down to the groin area. And unlike those cases that involved a predatory kill, where you'll have the entrails and blood and all of that stuff within that immediate area. It wasn't like that they were all slit open like that, but there was no They were all dead, but there was no there was no blood or anything like that within the corral. It's pretty shocking.
Speaker 2: And there were a lot of them. It wasn't just a few.
Speaker 3: There was twenty six, twenty six heads of sheep. The sheep dogs that were a part of that morale or that group of sheep wouldn't come around the corral. And there was an odd, really odd odor, kind of a petroleum melling odor involved around the corral.
Speaker 2: The paranormal ranger a Navajo investigator search for the unexplained. So did this did this did you start seeing paranormal activities right away? Or is it over the course of the several years that you were UH serving as an officer that you compiled all of.
Speaker 3: These Actually they once I got uh commissioned and began work as a now a ranger, I was seeing uh incidents were involving the paranormal UFOs and things of this nature.
Speaker 2: Were you ever able to come to some simple explanations of some of the.
Speaker 3: Cases, Well, there was one haunting case that I took care of that had the phenomenon known as an a port where we had coins that would materialize out of thin air and fall on the floor. And this kind of shaped my view of this idea of portals or other dimensions and other planes of existence. And I come to surmise, both me and Jonathan Dover, my partner at the time, that all of these things that we referred to as the paranormal are interconnected by this phenomenon of dimensions, whether it's Bigfoot or UFOs or ghosts or even the witchcraft stuff.
Speaker 2: Makes sense. Stanley Milford Junior, who has written a book it's called The Paranormal Ranger, A Navajo Investigator's Search for the Unexplained. You were raised as a Navajo. What does the Native American teachings that you learned growing up, what do they say about paranormal activity.
Speaker 3: Well, because it's an indigenous culture and you have like five hundred and seventy something Native American tribes here in the United States, not to mention Canada and Mexico, each one of them have connections with things like star people, and this idea of humans here on this planet coming from some other location within the universe, so it's kind of intertwined. You know, on the Naval reservation, it's twenty seven thousand square miles of reservation, you know, the size of West Virginia. And in a lot of that area, because it's in Arizona, you have like red drop canyon formations on these canyons. You have pictographs and petroglyphs from the previous civilizations that depict things that might people might infer as UFOs or star people or big would and a lot of different things. So it's intertwined.
Speaker 2: The paranormal Ranger.
Speaker 3: And I did grow up around Tahlequah, Oklahoma too. Oh Okay, I did live in that part of your country too.
Speaker 2: So it wasn't just Navajo. I mean you got a lot of the Cherokee heritage as well well.
Speaker 3: When I was two years old, my mother and father separated and took my mother took me and my older sister back to Taalaquah, where she was from, and we were raised in the school there. But in the summertimes we would my father would fly us out to the reservation and we'd spend some of our summers.
Speaker 2: Did you did you speak either of the languages.
Speaker 3: I tried basically because I had a really hardcore hit accident kind of class with the way things are pronouncement Navo, so I didn't really pick up on it. A lot of times I was made fun of, but I had people that would hear me try to pronounced Navo words. So I made a decision, as a little boy that you know, I was, I chose not to do that. I did learn some of the words over the years working there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stanley Milferd Junior, he is the Nava, the Paranormal Ranger, a Navajo investigator search for the unexplained. Did you ever encounter a paranormal event where whatever it was was speaking that language.
Speaker 3: There was a haunting case where I went into a building, an office space that was experiencing haunting and I had something placed a hand or finger on my upper lip and move it across. And immediately following that, there was two male voices that were talking to each other and that could have been in the Navo language too. I couldn't make out what they were saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you heard a human voice though it was distinct.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, definitely, definitely.
Speaker 2: Stanley Milford Junior, the Navajo he's the paranormal Ranger Navajo investigator search for the Unexplained. And in your book you also talk about how you believe that the paranormal events seem to be there, seem to be more and more of them, and there's a reason behind that.
Speaker 3: I think that, you know, you'd be hard pressed to find a family throughout the world that does not have a family member somewhere in their family tree that has not experienced some form of paranormal experience, whether that's the in UFOs or hauntings or these other things. And so I think it's more common than what we like to let on.
Speaker 2: Mine has been flickering of lights or lights coming on or going off. Can that be attributed to bad electricity? Yeah, but I prefer to think that it's I'm being communicated with by my grandparents, because that's where it always happens, in their bedroom.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, I think as an investigator you have to be you have to go into it kind of as a blank sheet of paper and collect the evidence and let the evidence speak for itself. Really, I mean, you don't want to infer, but I'm like you, I mean, you can there are certain background information related to those experiences that can lend more to what the reality is with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and all that said, there were experiences. I gather you walked away from damned if I know what that was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, a lot of the paranormal is that very thing. You really don't know how to how to quantify the experience. Being a law enforcement and criminal investigator, Yeah, you go through this process systematically, but a lot of times you're left with more questions than you have as far as answers.
Speaker 2: The Paranormal Ranger a Navajo's investigator, Search for the Unexplained. It's a book by Stanley Milford, Junior, who served as a Chief Navajo Ranger for over two years and twenty three years of service. It's a great ghost story book for this time of year, and I thank you for bringing it to us.
Speaker 3: Sir. Oh, thank you Lee for having me on your show. I appreciate all of your audience. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Later with Lee Matthews, the Lee Matthews Podcast, and remember to listen to The Drive Live weekday afternoons from five to seven and iHeartMedia Presentation