Speaker 1: Welcome to reader Syndicate three point zero, the next evolution of look into counterculture that is Canaa. My name is Matthew, owner of Riot Seeds, and this started as a one man mission for strain history and breeding science. Over time it's evolved into something bigger, better, and more of a team effort. We will be joined by members of the can Illuminati and other friends. Throughout the seasons hear their takes on grow techniques, breeding science, string history and more. Our mission is to combat the narrative that corporate cannabis and seed posters are obfuscating for their own financial benefit. Welcome to the underground. We are the syndicate.
Speaker 2: The videos on this channel, the Breeder Syndicate three point zero, are compliant with YouTube policies and does not depict or promote any sales or distribution of any substances. These videos do not violate any YouTube community guidelines and is intended to educate the public about historical and scientific aspects of hemp plants. This video does not remote, idolize, nor glorify any illegal activities or unsafe consumption of regulated substances. We are not doctors or lawyers. This should be super obvious. With that said, some people need to be reminded about this. Do not take anything we say as medical or legal advice of any sort. We are just the best at what we do. Live with it. All content is copyright of the Breeder Syndicate three point zero twenty twenty four, Section one oh seven of the Fair Use Act, Thank you for your supports.
Speaker 1: Has the schedule one, schedule three stuff going on right now? Or it's you know, kind of lying in both areas as any of that affected how you guys do business? Is that something you're paying more attention to specifically for any reason?
Speaker 3: Uh No, not directly yet. I think some ideas that I've heard floating around are like, Okay, if it's scheduled three, then has to have you know, proven medicinal value. Maybe you can you know, find DNA markers related to these plants with proven medicinal value, and because other plants have those markers, then they would maybe be like allowed plants.
Speaker 1: But it's just objective, like whether something has medicinal value based on brain chemistry?
Speaker 3: Yeah, certainly, Yeah, how you define that? I mean there's yeah, there's the colloquially colloquial recognition of medicinal value that I think the cannabis community has relied on. But then there's like the whole you know, FDA researched and clinical trial products and stuff sences.
Speaker 1: I've kept up on a bunch of that, and it's still like the kind of idea that all sativas do this and all indicas do this, and you know that there's no plasticity. They don't take that into account of any kind of clone, like where it's grown, how it's grown, how it expresses.
Speaker 3: It's been.
Speaker 1: It's been quite interesting to watch science try to work its way into cannabis and not understand sourcing, how that's done, how unreliable some people are for sourcing from and then taking into account the plasticity, even if you can source the correct clone and then bring chemistry for whether it's medically viable for that particular individual based on how it has grown. You know, like there's so many factors that that I kind of watch for, and a lot of these medical talks and as things are changing schedule and when I talk to people in labs or let's see, like doctor Danielle at Virgar, I'm not sure if you're familiar with her. She was working at one of the universities it's escaping me. It's one of the big ones that was doing cannabis research. And the one thing I realized was that there is there are a lot of variables that breeders and longtime growers kind of have a better grasp of, but they're not really talking to them. They're talking to the people who are the most marketable, like the guys in high times that pay for ads, and those are who the first people that they were hearing about, so they go to them. And that's I don't know, it's been a it's been an interesting walk, and I didn't know how it would affect your guys's business model. Yeah, do you guys, can you develop a test for plasticity in a plant?
Speaker 3: I don't know how you would like like plasticity and what like. There's there's there's tests for like chromodygosity, heterozygosity and that like kind of like determines like and people people will refer to that as like how stable the plant line is or how like reproducible it is. I guess.
Speaker 1: That's referring to like a line. And I've seen like filos make very bad attempts at this and they ended up shutting down a lot of their testing. Me and if you I'll just say, other readers were submitting you know, like a mother clone and then the parent or the siblings thereof, and sometimes s one siblings or self siblings. They should be directly related. And they what we learned over time was that they were doing short reads and for some reason couldn't quite tell exactly what was related to what. But they would tell us with much confidence that, oh, no, our results are right, you're wrong. You need to you know, resend stuff in. So people spent the money resent stuff in, made sure rechecked every source and and made sure all the tags were correct, and kept running into that with the short read versus long read. Is that something that you run into with your work, like in the qPCR testing short read versus long read?
Speaker 3: No, that's all like related to like sequencing and and and assembling of you know the results of that sequencing. What we do is we have very specific segments of DNA that we that we look for. Yeah, we're not doing any sequencing or uh readouts of the plant DNA that that we get. We're just seeing, you know, can we detect this this marker or not.
Speaker 1: Have you considered getting into the sequencing part.
Speaker 3: It's not. Uh, we haven't had like real demand for that. I think Farmer Freeman like primarily serves like pheno hunters, homegrowers. I mean, we definitely serve you know, breeders and breeders that are big names and like the classical cannabis industry you could call it, but not like these firms that are investing millions into you know, plant line and stuff like that. We we refer people to medicinal genomics when they want more information about their plants.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good reference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm getting back to I guess the switch to scheduled three, I mean the I think the only impact for us would be if that if that reduces people's ability to grow, then that'll have a downstream effect on our company. Yeah, we'll just have fewer customers.
Speaker 1: That I think.
Speaker 3: It's pretty unclear like what I think. There's just a lot of speculation on like what is going to happen. I don't know if anyone really has like a a game plan, like, I don't know. I don't think there's a master conspiracy of like we're taking cannabis this direction. Ah, So.
Speaker 1: It's been interesting.
Speaker 3: I'm worried about that as much as we are, like the changing definition of hemp and you know, regulation of seeds and stuff like that that's more directly affecting us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting. Yeah, I don't know how it's going to go. You know, we get a lot of questions about that, and it's just a lot of it's up in the air. It's very wishy washy. And then finding out that it is still in Schedule one and Schedule three depending, you know, that that's been rather confusing and I think needs to be better defined. But I think it was sold as you know, like in some people's minds, Oh, finally real legalization, and I don't know that they understand it's going to affect the homegrower in a probably more restricted way in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's it's more legalization and more rights if you're using Schedule three cannabis, which not all cannabis will Yeah, the Schedule three cannabis that will only come from producers and dispensaries who you know, are signed up with the DA and whatnot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, DA is middle manning the the the sale of bud now, which is.
Speaker 3: Which is wild. I think I think they middleman the sale of all drugs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I.
Speaker 3: Think it makes sense for them to do that. If if this is how we're going to classify medical cannabis now mm hmm. But yeah, but but you know it's this it's the same freaking plant. In most cases, it's the same product from those plants. But it's just a an artificial designator of legal or not. You know, are you protected if you use this one or that one? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all based on licensing and other regulations.
Speaker 3: We do get asked a lot, like with the hemp, just going to call it the hemp band. You know, we're going to be in business. You know, we started our company before the twenty eighteen farm bill, Like you know, we're we're going to be here long after. Yeah, you know that that calling that that defining hemp with under point three percent, you see, like that was super convenient for us, but it's not necessary for our business. Like we have like when you submit a sample to us, like most people are sending a small piece of leaf, but you know there's other ways, like of you know, they don't have to submit leaf. They can just send us like an extraction of that leaf like the just the DNA and you know, we're confident and we'll be able to continue to operate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which you about that you provide a smash card that actually does it's not a complicated task to to do the extraction method of testing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So that's one of our our avenues of getting the DNA samples to our lab is we have this like it's like a relatively thick piece of paper and you smash the leaf onto that and scrape off any excess like physical material, and then you're just left with like a stained piece of paper that has you know, juice in it. Again, it's from a plant that's not making THHC. It's you would never know what plant it is from. Yeah, yeah. And then combine that with the fact that we can test more than just cannabis, like we have a fig tree sex test, so you know, there could be ways for us to like kind of combine the two tests and never know what type of plant you're sending us. So yeah, yeah, we've thought about this where we're not worried. Our payment processor is not worried. Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: And so you do do you were talking about figs, what other kind of plants are you testing?
Speaker 3: We can do FIG and Kiwi right now. We in the past month we've been revamping our FIG test to get it on the like same place platform is the Cannabis Sex Test, so that'll like you know, reduce the costs and speed up the turnaround time for that test. So that's great. And then we get inquiries for other plants, usually just specialty fruit trees per Simon mulberry, there's a Chinese brayberry. And as we get these inquiries, we kind of figure out, like, is it worth our time to pursue this. Do we think there's a big enough market, And yeah, we're always open to those inquiries. I can't guarantee that we will make a test, but we do add it to a list and and and check up on it every now and then. Yeah, some of these plants, like fig, you know, it'll take years for it to show it secks, you know, so it's pretty pretty big savings, huge time saving. But yeah, I don't know, we're actively exploring this because you know, our lab isn't you know, unique to cannabis. It's just a general molecular biology lab. So we yeah, we have these tools we can use them for a lot of different purposes, and we want to ideally we'd have somebody in here like twenty four hours a day just running whatever test people are interested in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do you do you think there's a future where there is kind of like a a at.
Speaker 4: Home like a pregnancy test type of thing for you know, even like a simplified is there why you know type of deal.
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, I mean there's a there's definitely like at home test kits. None of them are as simple as a pregnancy test. They all require some amounts of like equipment and uh preparation and processing. And because of that, like the accuracy can vary. It's it's generally less accurate than sending it to a lab like ours where we're running qPCR. These at home test kits for sex or hot light and viroid, they generally are more susceptible to like contamination and of you know, it's the leaf surface hasn't been aid with any kind of folios or ipms like that could affect the test, and you're just getting less data from those tests. So like a negative result from that test, you could interpret that as the samples clean, but it could also just be that the test didn't work, and so because of that, like you know, we we don't recommend it for most people. And also, I mean we we try to price our in lab testing, you know, low enough that it doesn't really make sense to like buy all that equipment and you know that the upfront costs of trying to get your own things set up.
Speaker 1: Were you asking about testing baby sex screw?
Speaker 4: No, No, like a.
Speaker 1: Child be interesting?
Speaker 4: No of of plants, but added at home version, were it's just positive or negative for I don't know something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like like that exists, Like I know to Me has a product called like to me Glow for in house testing of hot lat and viroid. Medicine Genomics has their UPCR system. We've used that. We were running that commercially for a little bit, but it just has these like pitfalls that we felt like weren't. Uh you know, there's just better, better options out there for commercial testing and testing of a wide variety of samples.
Speaker 1: Okay, get back to the baby testing, because now that just triggered it could use. Is there a way to test the sex of a baby based on the technology you have there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's I just went through this in the past eighteen months. So I have a one year old now, but when we were pregnant, they do DNA screening on the fetus, uh to determine sex and all sorts of different genetic risk factors you know, related to human development, and that helps you determine the safety of your pregnancy and things like that. So yeah, like that's generally like these these genetic panels that your doctor orders for pregnant people will have like a sex add on. Some families requested, others like to be surprised. We we did it. It was cool. It was you know, similar to the service I offer. We we got an email like your results are ready click through, and we we found out that we're having a boy. And I know there's one brand that you do do it at home and send a sample to a lab rather than like going to lab Corp And doing a whole blood drawer or whatever. Yeah, peekaboo. And yeah, I don't know how much it costs, probably just one hundred bucks or so. And yeah, you can determine the sex of your your your unborn.
Speaker 1: That is really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know why that I twisted that question into that, but yeah, that's fascinating.
Speaker 3: No, it's cool, and we so companies like Peekaboo Ancestry. There's a company for like cat DNA called base Pause. Uh, we kind of consider ourselves like in the same realm as those companies. You know, we all test different organisms, but essentially it's the same. It's like you take some kind of DNA sample or tissue sample and send it to a lab and and get results based on that. And so we look at those companies too to help get ideas on like sample submission methods and results delivery methods, and it's it's neat being in that in this industry.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you told me about bass Pause. I just got a kitten and that's could actually be really helpful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's super cool. I got it for my brother's cat for for Christmas, and he determined that his cat is a main coon, which was pretty.
Speaker 1: That yeah Pause and the ears and everything, but.
Speaker 3: But it gave him like health data about his cats and like his cat and you know what risk factors his cat has. And yeah, it's just kind of a fun thing to do. We did it for our love to understand like what read our dog was. Uh, yeah, they're they're they're cool tests and yeah, normalizing you know, science and making science successible and useful to people, which is which is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's really cool.
Speaker 3: Thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, screw what you got.
Speaker 4: Uh so, what are you guys focusing? Like where do you where are you guys trying to like refine and progress? You had said that you wanted to get the other sex testing kids up to the same level of accurate see and whatnot that you guys have with, uh, with cannabis. What what other areas are you trying to you know, focus on or or trying to grow towards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, you know, we're always fielding enquiries for you know, plant types that we don't already have tests for, and if we can easily develop a test for those, that's great. You know, we like, if you google search like plant sex testing, you know, we're we're pretty high up there, and so we end up getting people like sending us leaves of plants that aren't cannabis, and maybe they just didn't understand that they need to specify what they're sending in. So so ultimately, like we'd like to be able to accept all sorts of different tissues. There's always like new pathogens popping up and being identified as potential threats to to cannabis. So we're we're always looking into, like, you know, new targets for that. Septoria is one that we're thinking of adding on for for hemp and cannabis. Understanding like limits of detection, Like can we like like how sensitive can the hop late and viraid test get, you know, could should we start running the HLVD tests on seedlings and maybe that'll prevent like issues later on. So we're pulling out like a bunch of Basically I found customers who had positive hop late and viroid tests and if they had tested seedlings you know, a year or eighteen months prior to that, I'm curious if any of those seedlings had hop late and viralid and maybe that could have tipped them off sooner than if they were wait, if they they obviously did wait and discover it later. Yeah, improving things like the FIG test, like that's what we're working on this week. Yeah, just generally using the equipment we have for more than just the cannabis sex test.
Speaker 4: So are you guys able to does it have to be seedlings or are you able to test actual seeds as they before. Someone you know, someone had a bunch of seed and we're like, man, I'm kind of worried and sent a fraction of the seed off to be tested. You know, would you guys be able to actually detect and test off of that material?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, so we have some protocols for seed testing. It destroys the seeds, so there's like kind of a limited use for it. It's pretty much just like hemp breeders and hemp farmers or people growing fields of feminized cannabis seed, they'll send us some percentage of that seed stock and we can either test the seeds individually or like as a as a group and see if there's that male marker in those and if it's not, then then they can be assured that they're growing feminized seed.
Speaker 4: Well, I meant for h l V.
Speaker 3: Are are you guys able to test? I mean there's the same the same theory there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the big question of herms and I'm sure you get it all the time. How do I know if my plants are herm M? What's your response to that?
Speaker 3: So yeah, so we're working with medicinal genomics to figure out some kind of harm test that is, like our number one FAQ is, can this test tell me if my plants are herms? I'm not sure. It seems like pretty much all plants have the capacity to to herm or show the the phenotype that's not associated to their genotype, but that so maybe they all have the capacity to do that, but some are more likely to do that, and there might be genetic markers related to that, like susceptibility. Yeah, so that's something we're looking in too. We love when our customers tell us, like, hey, these plants ended up harming. We we then make a note of that and we we set those aside for further research with the goal of developing that HERM test. You know, it's frustrating because like a hermie plant, it doesn't always show a pollen sack and flowers on the same thing, which leads some customers to think that the results were like wrong, and that can be kind of challenging because it's like, you know, how do you tell a grower who's staring at phenotypically a male plant. Yeah, plant isn't.
Speaker 1: A male, it's just expressing male.
Speaker 3: They think you're an asshole, Yeah right, them a liar, but but but we do try our best to tell them. Like look like you know, maybe at some point that male plant will start growing a flower and you know it didn't have the Y chromosome that we associate with male genetically male plants.
Speaker 1: So that's that would be autoism AutoZone based, right, Like at that point.
Speaker 3: Uh, I'm not sure. So, so, like there was some research last year or the year before that was like basically showing like the sex determining genes aren't on the Y chromosome. So you know, there was some debate like, well, is the Y chromosome still a reliable marker for ye for sex. We think it is, you know, at least for genetic males. But but it's this whole thing a phenotype and genotypelake, Like what what do people recognize as males versus what are males?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I think that gets into you know, defining things for practical effect more so than scientific validity.
Speaker 1: Sure, and.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Those definitions might have appropriate places depending on who's asking. H But yeah, we want a HERMEI test. We want people to tell us when their plants are herm so that we can just get more data, just work the development of that test.
Speaker 4: And so on that is, is there stuff uf that it is starting to be promising yet like things that you're you're starting to notice amongst a decent group or is there anything that you're you guys are kind of looking into specifically.
Speaker 3: We hoped to have a test by now the I guess the first couple of rounds of what we thought would be a working test weren't working out as we hoped they would. Yeah, so no, ETA is unknown still working alongside Midasontinomics to get that figured out. I think there's confidence that it's going to be possible, but I think it just takes like a pretty robust data set to to validate the task.
Speaker 4: It is that because uh, like there's you know, different routes that it that it could be. You know that it could express with male flower first like a clear defined thing like or at least a little bit more clear like a genetic sex test.
Speaker 6: Is Yeah, I don't know if that question made sense.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's like, yeah, I mean, it's just it's like, can the does the plant respond to like different environmental stimuli to then change what sex? What sex it's expressed, and you know how sensitive is it to that stimuli. I think the stimuli is all the same. I think it's just the presence of like ethylene.
Speaker 1: Ethylene or ethylene blocking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. Screw you know it's getting into that. That's more like for like the researchers. And frankly, I'm just a guy running a lab service. I'm not like doing a whole lot of research here on site. Like I I'm trained as a scientist, but the past years I've been customer service agent and manager for lab technicians.
Speaker 1: So you know, a test for being in to tell a plant that is more susceptible, like when making fem seeds, like most of us use a few different methods for reversing a plant, meaning making a female plant turn into a male to then produce pollen. And of course it never looks like a male when you're doing it. It actually keeps the blood shape of a female and a lot of times that it clusters too hard to even drop the pollen. But I would love a test that shows plants that are more likely to drop viable pollen versus you know what I mean, like not drop viable pollen because they all reverse almost I shouldn't say ninety nine point nine nine percent of plants I've seen, Like we did a three thousand plant reversal, and I think there was two that didn't reverse at all, and that was in hemp, which which I was even surprised to see that much. But there are plants that will reverse completely and just not drop pollen. And that's been like one of the key things for a lot of breeders of m seats is to try to find that method of action to know whether am I going to waste six thousand dollars this run just on electricity in a room and everything that goes into it, or is this going to be a successful reversal. So it like, is there a test for more susceptibility to ethylene blocking?
Speaker 3: Maybe you know when you run the like strain seek panels from medicinal Genomics, they might have some more insights related to that. But I don't think there's just like a one off test, yeah, for any kind of information like that. If there were, we would like to be running it. I'm interested to understand that better. It sounds like it's just not reaching a certain development milestone that allows it to open up that pollen sack. I guess.
Speaker 4: There was a paper where they like actually looked at the pollen grains from reversals versus like an actual male and they are all small, and a lot of them malformed instead of being like nice little orbs and giant. Like all of the male pollen is huge compared to all of the reversed and there's a lot that is just has malformed structures that make it just not work.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Yeah, yeah, I don't know much about that. I'm curious why that is. It makes me think of like one thing I have considered doing is like a pollen viability test like that with you guys' thoughts on that. Like basically, I think over time, like the pollen becomes unviable or like dead or something like that. And I'm pretty sure there's like like these stains, like these dyes that you can apply to the pollen that will maybe attach themselves only to the dead pollen cells and not the live ones, and you can kind of get like a rough count of like, okay, sixty percent of what I'm looking at is dead or non viable, and maybe you can compare that to like other samples and you know, determine the best group of pollen to use or or maybe that could be like a screening tool for like, hey, I received pollen from a different breeder and it's not working. Maybe this is why. Yeah, they're just kind of showcasing like your pollen health before you sell it or use it.
Speaker 1: All in storage is so just like even if you from freezing it to fridge to whatever, the variability in pollen life can go from days to a few months as best. I've seen some people claim years, but I've never had that experience or even anywhere close to it. Don't know what method of storage, but yeah, it's that's absolutely interesting because I know some breeders do sell palland or have tried, and I don't know that they've kept that model going for long because of different variability, especially in shipping too, like if depending on what time of the year, that stuff can get roasty toasty in the mailbox, you know, mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I had a customer send me some pollen probably like five years ago now, and it's been in my freezer. I'll have the heart to like throw it out because it feels like offensive to that person who gifted it to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't, and.
Speaker 3: So I guess my plan was like maybe experiment with it on this potential test or that would be cool. But it sounds like, based on your experience, there's no way that stuff's gonna work.
Speaker 1: Five years would be a stretch. It's not like for some reason, it's not like seed storage where like a freezer or fridge like definitely extend the life period of seeds, Like if stored correctly with no moisture in the dark, they will last, especially in the freezer, quite a long. I mean twenty thirty years, you know, And that's just based on the experience of people in the community how long they were able to do it, but maybe even longer. But yeah, pollen is a whole another play, and it's it's been devastating at times where you know, you go through the process of reversing a plant, then maybe you don't have the right receivers in there and you're like, okay, I'll just use this next round, and that next round could be two months away. So you take it. You make sure there's no uh anthers or anything from the male male flowers in it, make sure you get it all perfect, store it and freezer baggy, so there's no way you know, water crystals are getting in there and still just yeah, there's been some devastating.
Speaker 3: You know. I was thinking, like, there's surely, like I'm sure cannabis pollen's not completely unique and there might be comparable you know, plants or pollen from other plants, and maybe there's research on stability of that. But then I'm like, well, why does it even matter with with tissue culture becoming more prevalent, Like, if you need to keep that mail, just just store it and tissue culture and then grow it out and get fresh pollen when you're ready for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's rare to see a male that does not drop via or that that drops unviable pollen. I've never seen that yet, but I'm sure it exists. I just haven't run into that yet.
Speaker 3: I think, like, isn't that one of the the claimed benefits of like these new like triploid and polyploid plant that their pollen is ineffective or something, and therefore you won't have seeded out fields herms.
Speaker 4: In practice, that ended up being a huge flop for the for the people who went who went in on that. Apparently they do herm like crazy and they just don't produce viable seeds, so you get it. You still get you know, like premi seed bud instead of non seeded you know, because it just did not work out the way that everyone was kind of I guess hoping it would.
Speaker 1: And that's to me, that's so much worse because like the worst case scenario, you have seed left to run. But if you're just getting a little white, premature, little nothing seeds in there and you're just smoking and all your hear.
Speaker 3: Is well, I imagine if you're growing for like extraction, maybe it's still better than fully formed seeds because it's less energy that that plants spent to grow them. And yeah, maybe that means less it's true cannabinoid reduction. Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I don't know much about these polyplate triple Some people ask like can I can I test and determine that. I think that's again one of those things that you need like actual sequencing for Yeah, and frankly, I just don't know the benefits of those those seeds or plants.
Speaker 1: Back in the day, the broscience was a polyploid will make a much more potent plant with THHD, but that was before anyone was doing any kind of sequencing or testing. It was just the bold claim and guys online that were kind of respected for their knowledge and breeding just kind of antificating a little bit more and being a lot more positive or confident in what they were saying versus any science being available to confidently say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I guess if you look at like like I think wheat and corn like the reason those got much more yield over the past hundreds of years was due to polyploidy if I remember correct. So I can see why someone might think like polyploidy and cannabis would result in bigger or stronger buds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense, but.
Speaker 3: It seems like it would require a lot of research and validation more that that could be done in one person's garden, I would imagine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, Let's see. We had some questions here from the community. Tweet top said, I'd like to hear more about the test, How the tests were developed, did they come from a different croper industry, What are the tests actually doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the current test we have that we use for majority of our samples was developed by Medicinal Genomics. They did a bunch of sequencing of you know, male and female plants and found like conserved regions of the Y chromosome. So conserved regions means like this string of DNA was found in the Y chromosome of a bunch of different you know, strains of male plants, right, So therefore you know it's it's probably going to be pretty accurate on the rest of the male plants out in the world and to come and it's you know, specific to the males. It's exclusive, and that it's not going to pick up on female plants. Yeah, so our test to text for that Y chromosome, I think maybe I think it's actually like two areas of that Y chromosome and an area of the DNA we call it like the internal control that's just found in every male and female plant. So we're seeing two result readouts per sample. One we expect to see like a signal in every plant, and the other result we expect to see it only in the male plants. So that kind of two signal system gives us a lot of confidence that the test performed as expected, that the DNA was properly taken out of the plant before we analyzed the DNA. Prior to that, we were running a test that found like a male associated DNA sequence, but it wasn't on the Y chromosome. We stop doing that just for practical reasons, Like that test took a little bit longer, and it was like a little more sensitive to like crossover contamination and just wasn't as accurate as this current test we have. I think that answers yeah, that question. And it's pretty much the same for like the FIG test. It's a sequence that's associated with male fig plants, and you know, we screened for that, and we also screen for an area of the fig plant that's will be detected whether it's female or male. Pretty much the same for all of the different pathogen tests. It's it's multi multi targeted, and that we're screening for the pathogen target and an internal control target. And that's what generally makes it different from the like at home testing protocols. Those at home protocols are only testing for the target. They don't have that internal control to confirm that you're not getting a false negative result.
Speaker 1: Here's another This is actually a really interesting question from Loiger. How much more complicated is it to set up a testing lab compared to a hydrocarbon extraction distillation lab. Is there a skill where it would make sense for an avid plant collector to build their own lab. Closed loop extractors and short path stills are understandable with the high school level of physics. How much more extensive is the knowledge required and using mass spectrometers and other methods to detect your plant health issues?
Speaker 3: Okay, so we don't so our core equipment is the thermal cycler and specifically the the real time QPC are uh specific thermal cyclers. I mean it's if you have to develop your own protocols and programs, then yeah, that's that's tricky and challenging. But yeah, you can buy ready to use kits and it's just a matter of mixing different liquids basically and just being precise on how much you're adding and and being able to scrutinize the results, which you know, it's it's not very hard. I think if you can set up distillation, you can you can do this. Mass spec is generally just for like your your potency and safety testing labs. We don't use that equipment. I think the why you wouldn't do it is just there's not like a whole lot of value out of just having a q PCR PCR set up at home, you'd have to be testing a lot of plants to.
Speaker 1: The yeah, cost benefit ratio.
Speaker 3: Break even cost versus using a lab like ours. I'd imagine, you know, we we tested such a volume that our prices is low. But if you're just buying, like, you know, enough materials to test like two hundred plants a year, like, you're spending a lot of money. Yeah, on top of the initial equipment cost.
Speaker 1: And this is something people can do with liquid chromatography paper, right like.
Speaker 3: No, no, yeah, Like that's like those at home THHC test kits. Yeah, yeah, I've used those before. No, I mean I think if you could manage to make those kits work for thh you know, if you can figure out if you can read the protocol and run those kits and get the expected results out of those kits, you could probably buy reagents and buy equipment and run your own sex tests. But again, I just don't think it's for most people it's going to be cost effective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't sound financially viable at all to try to run that from home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've seen people do it. I've had former customers do it and even like offer it as a service to their buddies, and they generally don't do it for long. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't think.
Speaker 3: So, because, like you know, you can you can mess something up in an instant and it's like hundreds of dollars We're wasted in that one instant. Yeah, just by mixing the wrong thing. So as soon as you do that, boom anything, any potential cost savings are out the window. Yeah. Yeah, And and just sending it to a lab like mine is so simple, you know. I think a lot of people have have they misunderstand like how easy the mail is and how reliable it is. Yeah, you know, we do thousands of packages a year, insanely small loss rate. So yeah, it just to me it's the obvious way. But I'm also maybe a little biased.
Speaker 1: No, I think it absolutely makes sense. Simplus, if people don't have that experience in training in the first place, be weird.
Speaker 4: I think the way you guys set the actual kits up make it very easy to not fuck up the process, like on your end as the grower, because I've used the sex test before and having like the tags and everything like set up essentially so you do not mess it.
Speaker 3: Up yeah, yeah, it's pretty rare that people mess it up, but we definitely do get you know, sample kits submitted every now and then just just have nothing inside of it or still have the plant tag inside of it, and it's like, you know, this was meant to stay with your plant. I don't know how you're gonna know which result goes to which plant, but you know, people people get get medicated before they take their samples, and we see some funny mistakes every now and then. But yeah, it's pretty pretty simple, pretty full proof.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well those people can't be helped.
Speaker 3: I don't you know.
Speaker 1: They got to charge it to the game and learn from it.
Speaker 3: Because well are easy. Honestly, we send those test kids back to them and say, hey, try again. You know, we're as long as we haven't you know, tested it and wasted any money on the actual like process, like as many times as it takes for you to properly submit a sample, We're willing to work with you.
Speaker 1: Do we have anything else there? Screw In the Q and.
Speaker 4: A someone asked about if potency testing is in the future. From what you were saying, no, it's not.
Speaker 3: No, it just required like with potency testing unless we're doing it for for HIMP. I mean, we're we're handling drug material and regulated material and that just requires like a lot more legal setup and licensing that we're not interested in doing. Like we're kind of in the sweet spot of of you know, in the in the cultivation cycle where we can handle that material without without all these special requirements.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have your website up on the screen, and I wanted to make people aware this is what it looks like, very easy to navigate. We have where you can order tests. This is the pathogen pathogen detection area. You have your mom panel, intake panel, and full panel, and I wanted to show people what was involved. What's involved in the full panel versus the other panels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the full panel, it's basically just throwing every test we have at that sample you send us. So full panel is definitely nice for uh, you know, checking up on your mom's on some kind of schedule, or if you're receiving something that you just have no idea what the origin, how clean the origin is. Yeah, the full panels great. Most cases, like the intake panel, which is hop late and viralid fuse aium, pithium, those are like the most common things we see detected, So that's generally what we recommend to people. But the full panel's nice. I mean, we definitely have customers who always do the full panel for just full peace of mind that you know, any anything that could be tested for was tested and it passed all of that. And so when you receive it, you know it's gonna look something like this. It's going to be marked for which test was selected. You add your leaf samples and roots samples. There's you know, individual envelopes inside of this one kit for your specific leaves and roots, whereas like the intake panel that test generally just roots are the only necessary sample type. So yeah, it you know, these different panels will change which samples we like to work with and what targets we're detecting.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good, and we want to make sure that everyone knows. If you're listening to the show, there is a coupon code, and those watching the show and see it. But if you're not watching the show, I'm waiting for it to scroll by far enough so it pops up. The coupon code is Syndicate five, and that'll save you five percent off any purchase at Farmer Freeman dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can go to our site and see like the trusted by page and I'm sure you'll recognize at least some of those those brands and grow ups. It's been really cool seeing the different names that come through. Like, you know, I like to respect my customer's privacy as much as I can, but unless they tell me, like yeah, sure, shout us out. But like, gosh, there's one one time I was like I saw it come in and I'm like telling my staff, I'm like, okay, drop, drop everything you're doing. We're we're focusing on this, like we you know, we we take confidence in that everything we send out is correct, but like we were like, oh my god, we we absolutely cannot mess this up.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So it's you get a little starstruck sometimes, like you know, as a as a cannabis fan seeing who we get to work with, like the like I got followed by Arian Strain Hunter a few years ago. Yeah, god, this is this is nuts, you know, but yeah, yeah, Syndicate five gets you five percent off. Other savings are you can subscribe to the different tests and that means we'll ship it to you every one three or six months, and that gets you another ten or more percent off. You can cancel that. Some people just subscribe, get the discount, cancel immediately. There's don't do that, guys, don't you know there's nothing stopping you from doing that. Of course, we want you to stay with us, but you know, just throwing it out there that we try to price everything so that it makes sense for nearly every person's Yeah, well, you gotta let the syndicate members know that they get the ten percent.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's right. Yeah, if you're a part of our discord via buy me a coffee, you get ten percent off. And you don't have to be a dickhead and subscribe like that and unsubscribe. You could just be a part of our discord and you get ten percent off via for you.
Speaker 4: A new code if you're watching or listening right now, a new code has been posted already in the server under announcements.
Speaker 1: Yep, that is for July.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sure you'll get comments and stuff, and we could always do you know, maybe follow up, look, call and uh absolutely answer any any other questions that pop up, even if they were answered in this conversation. We can do it again. Yeah, yeah, cool, Yeah, whatever. Yeah, it's been fun. Man. I appreciate you you're having me on and I feel like it's it's about time that we that we talk, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me and Screw have both been looking forward to this as well, and we really appreciate you guys working with us and going through all the bumps with us as we you know, fought the YouTube ship as long as we could.
Speaker 3: And I consume that the audio id swobscribe on Spotify, so I don't I don't watch. I just I listened to this in in the car on my commute. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people do do like commutes and gardening listens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks so much, Matt and oh.
Speaker 1: Dude, Yeah, it's our pleasure, absolutely our pressure. Yeah yeah, I gotta do the same.
Speaker 3: It's a huge relief that what I mail out like is basically worthless, Like it's all all the value is tied up in actual testing. Yeah, ship like goods with value.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be such a nightmare.
Speaker 3: Because it's so rare that things get lost, like, you know, up Eventually we say we say two weeks before either no scan or no delivery in case it's untracked. Yeah, if it's been two weeks without a scan. At that point, we're willing to send replacements. Otherwise, you just gotta You can either pay for a new pack or you can send in samples your own materials. But yeah, and almost every single time the replacements arrive like the day after the original arrives or something like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, fellas, all right, good luck with the rest of your day, and thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 3: Brother seerous guys. Bye, here it is.
Speaker 1: You want to sit at the table with the syndicate. Check out our Patreon and our link tree or description below. Our merch side is officially live. We have all sorts of shirts, hoodies and goodies to sort you out, and shipping is super fast and most importantly, the quality is top notch. I've been saving old designs for years for this purpose, so please check it out syndicate here dot com. We also have an underground syndicate Discord where we get together and solve old strain history together daily. It's an amazing community of learning away from IG and it's an amazing resource for old catalogs and knowledge. We hope you join our union of breeders and growers. Check it out