Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Game Informer Show, a weekly podcast covering the video game industry. Join us every Friday for a discussion but the latest gaming news, reviews, and exclusive reveals, alongside Game Informer staff and special guests from around the industry. I'm one of your hosts today, Alex van Aiken, and today I'm joined by Kyle Hilliard.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Kyle?
Speaker 3: I'm doing okay. Thank you for asking, Alex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, glad to have you here. We're also joined by Marcus Stewart.
Speaker 4: You know what's dangerous the podcast alone? Which one? I'm so grateful that you guys are here.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: And lastly rounding out the show today, Charles Hart.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Charles?
Speaker 5: Ah, Hey, that's my regal impression.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yeah, you not McCartney. That would be more like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about bringing some moroccas and and dancing.
Speaker 2: To be has to do for this episode.
Speaker 1: Hello, listeners, We're gonna be talking about the best Zelda games today or our favorite Zelda games. Uh for the fortieth anniversary. We have a big, big oh.
Speaker 2: If you're watching the video version.
Speaker 4: Kyle is also tying it to a rocket shoot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, weird. Yeah, oh my god, yeah that was. It was before Eric worked here.
Speaker 1: But one of my favorite streams actually, no, that was that wasn't a Game of Homer stream was that it was a charity stream, but Eric hosted a charity stream and we had I think it was called oh God, climb with the Core Rocks or something like that, and we had to make our way up toward h It was me and him and it was the first person whoever could get the most amount of co rocks into the top of the mountain the volcano in Breath Tears of the Kingdom, and you couldn't attach.
Speaker 2: Them to anything, okay, so you had to use the physics pure. It was so fun.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Welcome to the show, everybody. It's gonna be a great episode. Like I said, we're gonna be talking about our favorite Slash, the best Zelda games because our opinions are fact. We're gonna be talking about Pokemon Champions and then people of note. Before we get started, I do want to say, please, if you enjoy the show, pick up a copy of Game Informer magazine. Charles has that brand new shiny oh in Marcus the sole frame issue. We flew out to Digital Extremes in Canada and myself and Wesley chatted with the team for a day and a half. It was a great trip. And this book, this magazine, this physical print magazine that you can buy at GameInformer, dot Com slash Subscribe really turned out.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: I think there's an incredible feature of Zelda's forty years. Kyle, you put that together, right, I think, well it was staff wide, right.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I kind of let it, but yeah, everyone sort of We all sort of leaned on our contacts and stuff like that, and shout out to r J Palmer who let us use his amazing Zelda art And here's a feature that Charles wrote about r J.
Speaker 1: Palmer real quick, fantastic artists, really recommend I followed them for a while and their work is just incredible, So we appreciate them for letting us use that and that that piece it made it so so so special. So uh, there's there's plenty of other incredible features in this issue.
Speaker 2: You can get ten issues.
Speaker 1: A year delivered to your door gamefor dot Com slash Subscribe, or if you don't want to get a subscription, you can find us in news stands. If you're in the US, you can find us at places like Barnes and Noble Books, a million aim stop, and if you are elsewhere, you can also find us in newsstands. Internationally, in the UK you can find us at tg Jones. If you're in Canada, you can find us in Indigo. If you're in Australia, I believe we're at Adelaide, I mean we're We're in plenty of countries Japan, So look for us in your news stand and if you do find us, let us know, send us a screenshot on social media. Well, those are called photos actually of Alex those are Yeah, those aren't screenshots, as are photos. We'll take a screenshot of your photo and share it in our slack and we'll all be excited because we'll know you know where exactly you got that thing, and we usually do repost those. So really appreciate your support. Let's get on with the show, fellas, Charles, I'm gonna send it over to you. Pokemon Champions is out. I know from watching Friend of the Show Jesse Vittelli and Kenneth Shepherd for restarting Kotaki, respectively. I was in discord with them. They were playing this and I know it's like going to be the new home for like the competitive scene, but that's about all I know. Also, I'm slowly withering away into withers from old.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The more I talk, you're absorbing my life force.
Speaker 4: You're becoming a withering wasteland.
Speaker 5: Like ah, yes, that's what's happening with my voice right now, I'll talking to the people in that game.
Speaker 2: Boy, I need I need a rainstorm.
Speaker 4: Huh, get cowboy yogurt in hair?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Charles tell us about Pokemon Champions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So Pokemon Champions is a very odd product. The more time I've spent with it and the more I learned about it. So it is a game. It is on switch and it's on mobile, and it is a Pokemon battling game using like the base rules from the turn based Arpeage's So.
Speaker 3: You're playing a battle as well, right, it's not it to play, Okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well we'll get into that for sure. But there's a lot of like spin offs of Pokemon games that have come out where it's like, you know, you're racing Pokemon or you're you know, running a cafe, or you doing this or that. I don't I actually don't know if there's a Pokemon Racer there probably is. There's a lot of these now, but this is one that is specifically designed to take the mechanics and like stats and all this stuff from the base game turn it into a battling app and you can do it on your phone, you can do it on your switch, and it connects to Pokemon Home, which is Pokemon's like cloud service where you can store your Pokemon that you get from all these different games. So theoretically, if you have like a team of Pokemon that you loved in a past game, you can transfer to the cloud and Pokemon Home and then you can send those over to Pokemon Champions and then use that to battle. And it's also meant to be sort of like the new platform, like you said for VGC Video Game Championships, the Pokemon competitive scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's.
Speaker 5: Kind of like a standardized platform, right, So it's not that that's not you don't necessarily have to get every new game as soon as it comes out and then play through the whole story into all the stuff. Theoretically it'll all be in Pokemon Champions. You can keep transferring your guys over there. It's a cool, it's a cool concept. And then also if you don't have Pokemon, for example, that you want to transfer in there, the game has ways for you to like get Pokemon to use in battle. It has codes that you can like recruit teams. Maybe it's called but someone can make a team and then there's like a copy code. I mean, you can download that and then use their team in battle. So if someone else has like a really cool spread that they have used or Pokemon and items, et cetera, you can kind of copy that and use their stats. There's similar like third party apps like Pokemon Showdown is one that's I think still around, but it's like an example of that. That's like in browser. You just pick all the stats and all the specifics for your Pokemon, and it kind of simulates competitive Pokemon bows that you haven't actually do the work of, like raising the Pokemon and getting the perfect diabetes, the perfect EV's whatever. And in the most basic sense, it's fun. It's fun to play Pokemon battles against other people. I like doing that. It has every Pokemon in it, right like incorrect. Okay, Kyle, you're doing a really good job at transitioning for me.
Speaker 4: Can I can I say a Pokemon. Can I say some of the Pokemon I've learned from Poco Pia and already in this game.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna bet zero, but go go ahead tell me.
Speaker 4: Is Professor Tang Grove in this game? Is there a tank?
Speaker 2: Doubtful?
Speaker 3: Clefke is my favorite isle poc I haven't found I don't know, let's see.
Speaker 4: Them.
Speaker 5: Oh sorry, Cleft is in the game?
Speaker 3: Mimic?
Speaker 2: Yeah, game in the game?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wouldn't most of them be in it? Or no? Not all? Like I know, Ken was mad because Mega Ryischo's not in it.
Speaker 5: So the thing that makes this game so odd is that it is it is. When you're playing it, it becomes clear that it's it's in a weird spot where it's unclear if it's meant for people new to Pokemon or maybe new to the competitive scene that want to just get into the battles, or if it's for people that have played a lot and want to use this as a new platform. So one of the main things is that in Pokemon Champions there is something like one hundred and eighty Pokemon that are actually compatible with the game. This is of the over one thousand Pokemon that exists now. You can only use about one hundred and eighty Pokemon. It's exclusive for.
Speaker 3: The most numbers, a lot smaller than the bigger number.
Speaker 5: It really is. It is only fully evolved forms as far as I know, So like, for example, you can have Venosare, but you can't have Bulbasore or ivy Sore. It kind of makes sense.
Speaker 4: That would exclude Pikachu, who's like the mascot.
Speaker 5: Pikachu is the one exception to this rule. So you can get Pikachu in this game. And it's funny because it's like Pikachu is not a good competitive Pokemon. They've they've really given it a lot of like like tools and stuff over the years, but like Pikachu's stats are just not as good as a lot of like really high to your Pokemon. Raichu is like a little better. But it's it's they're they're just not You don't see them very often in the competitive scene. So it makes an odd thing where it's like, Okay, so not every Pokemon is available here, Uh, what are the pros of that? The pros or that if you're not into the competitive scene you have been playing for years and years and years, it does limit the amount that you have to learn, right, there's fewer types to learn, there's fewer combinations that exist. It's a little bit more accessible in that sense.
Speaker 1: I've heard because of that limited roster. Sorry to interrupt, I've heard because that limited foster in centerre is very very powerful right now, and maybe like in typical competitive play, there are other counters that are that are present for in Centre that like it's harder to do that right now because the limited roster is that kind of right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or I mean just just broadly speaking, Uh, the meta is is very unique because there's a lot of Pokemon that are showing up that it's like, oh, this guy hasn't been viable for a few years as the games have come out or as new abilities have happened or whatever. And there's also mega evolutions in this game, which as far as I know, for a couple of years, was not a part of the competitive scene because it wasn't like a main mechanic in the games. So now this is like mega evolutions are something that you're thinking about incorporating into the games a lot more so that that's like a that's like a pro is like Okay, there's there's fewer Pokemon, but there's fewer to learn. It's kind of more approachable. The con is that, uh, this is the new hub for competitive Pokemon battling, Like next year when there's the big Pokemon World Championships and everyone gathers to do the VGC stuff, it's gonna be in Pokemon champions and that It just is frustrating because there's a lot of people that are like, I have this Pokemon and this has kind of been a deal for a while now because Pokemons had to limit the amount of Pokemon that are available in each sort of game. But it is kind of frustrating to have it this limited of you can actually only do this, and there's a lot of strategies of Pokemon that aren't fully evolved, right. There's a there's an item called the Evia Light, which multiplies your defense and special defense by one point five times if you're not fully evolved. So there's a lot of Pokemon that have like okay stats in their middle form. You can give an Evia Light that become like really bulky tank type Pokemon that don't take a lot of damage. There is a I don't know if it's in the game. I guess I'll check. I'm going off of Sarabai dot net, which is my go to Pokemon resource. Of course, pachi Risu is not in the game. That's like a really good example of a number of years ago. Patrisu not a competitively viable Pokemon at first glance. Is like a squirrel Pikachu introduced in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl was in like a winning team one year because it was such a wild card that it would show up and would just no one would know what to do with this thing, and it would like run circles around everyone, which is so fun. That's so cool, And there's so many Pokemon that that's always like the dream, right is that? Yeah, you get your favorite Pokemon and it's like, oh my gosh, Charles's favorite Pokemon's Fampy. He made this crazy fanpy team that's stomping everyone who could have seen that coming.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I'm proud of myself because I was trying to look up Pichu. I've never heard of piechri resouit and I didn't want to ask you how to spell it, so I typed in a really bad version of it, but I still managed to pull it up. And I see a cute little two cute little squirrels. One's blue and one's pink, and they're not probably shiny, and they didn't make the cut. Huh, these adorable little things. It's messed up.
Speaker 5: So it's it's yeah, so it's it's an odd it's an odd state where if you are a competitive person.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: Also, not all the items are available in this game, So there's held items like the life orb for example, boosts all your damage and you take a little bit of damage every turn. That's like a competitive stable for years and years and years, it's not around. There's a few stuff like that that have been in all the games basically that we're just very used to seeing and anticipating that aren't around anymore. So it creates like just an odd kind of thing. If it was just a new kind of mobile or switch game, that would be one thing, but for it to kind of take over the competitive scene is making it rightfully controversial. And then there's the other aspect Kyle mentioned is it is free to play, which after playing it for a few hours it does feel icky. So I have the starter set, which is like seven bucks. We got a code for it from Nintendo. But but it's not that expensive. But it's a thing of like if you want to adjust your Pokemon's stats or change their moves or change their nature, these are all things you can do in the games with items that you'll get from like playing through an RPG, and this want it costs.
Speaker 2: The helmet or the iron band or whatever they are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this one it costs victory points or like specific tickets for each of these things. So there's an element of in the game you can just be like, oh, this strategy isn't working, I'm gonna try to switch it up and use this or whatever. And this one it's like, well, if you've won enough games, you can change your strategy, or if you're paying money, then you can maybe change your strategy. But it's it is like a limited amount of wiggle room you have because all this stuff costs currency. And then also to unlock Pokemon is like kind of a weird It's not quite a gotcha system because it's a little more forgiving than that. But it's like, if you want to add a new Pokemon to your team, you can only do it once every twenty four hours, and then when you do it, a bunch of Pokemon will appear, and then if you have enough victory point, you can either pay to add them to your team permanently, or you can rent them for a week to use in battle, but you can't adjust their stats or moves or anything while you're renting them. You can also spend quick tickets maybe they're called to shorten that weight time so you can just roll over and over again. And then you can also spend these other like tickets to basically redeem to just gain the pokemon permanently. So as someone who has the starter pack, it's not that hard for me to have spent seven dollars and then build this team up relatively quickly. It's not all the Pokemon I want, but every time I roll, I get a choice of like ten to choose from something like that. It's a pretty wide thing, but it is a weird. It's just a weird game that like every time I'm doing a battle, I'm like, this is cool, but I might want to change up my strategy, and just knowing that that's like using my resources and I'm just draining my bank over time to just try to get like a slightly better team is odd and doesn't feel great.
Speaker 3: I would use the word bad.
Speaker 4: I would.
Speaker 5: I might agree with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I also I just I have a really distage. Free to play stuff just really rubs me the wrong way, especially when it's yeah, you know, I mean, we're all adults here, but a game for children, you know, Yeah, not to say that way.
Speaker 5: This game has a it has a battle Pass. The Battle Pass has a paid tier, and it has a monthly membership subscription. So if you wanted to be playing this game, you could pay five bucks a month for the membership and then also pay ten dollars to unlock the higher tier of the battle Pass, which comes with mega Evolution stones and more Pokemon you can add to your team. How much is the paid battle the pay tier the battle passes ten bucks, and then so you pay that and then five bucks on top of that if you want to be a member that gets you extra things, I guess, and then seven bucks if you want the starter oh Pass, which is like on one hand, I'm like, well, if it's a Switch game, that's what ten plus five plus twelve that's twenty two bucks. It's like, sure, we can pay twenty two bucks to play a Pokemon game. I don't need to necessarily get everything for free. But the way it's all structured is like it's designed to make you feel and even you know, there's some games where you pay the price and then it's like, Okay, I'm past the paywall. I can kind of like relax a little bit. I feel like I've I've I've gotten past the there's no ads anymore. There's no like I'm having to stress about this, which is a game is.
Speaker 3: Usually pretty good about paying like that. They usually have a decent system for like their free to start games they like to call them where it's like like like where you hit a tier where you're like, wow, I've actually I've bought the game at this point, you know.
Speaker 4: Is there a is there like an in game currency that you can use in place of money that you can just earn like my only My Only sort of like comparison and I know it's not one to one is like you gi Oh Master Joel, which is a free game that you can buy things, but there's an in game current and see where you can just like just by playing matches you can actually unlock everything just with the in game currency, and you really can. Only you would really only use money if you just didn't want to like wait right, or you just didn't want to play competitive matches to get things. But like, I've rarely ever put money into that game. Someone that's put over like six hundred hours into that game. So I was wondering if, like if if Pokemon had like an alternative to like, oh yeah, you can just if you just played a bunch, you could just unlock everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So the short answers, Yes, there's victory points, which is kind of that currency that fills that role that you get from winning. You get a little bit when you lose, but you get a lot more. It's like you get three hundred when you win in eighty when you lose, and I think maybe that scales up as you rank up through the ranked matches and stuff. But there's like the Battle Pass, for example, I think has My guess is that as the items are exclusive to the Battle Pass and the Pokemon Exclusive Battle Pass, assuming again that you don't have the games and can transfer them in from Pokemon Home, some of that stuff that is like quote unquote exclusive is just things you could get in like Pokemon Legends Za for example, and transfer them in.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's an interesting game. I'm I'm having fun playing it, Like it's not it's it's Pokemon. I've heard people say that there's glitches so far, and people are definitely mad that like some of the stuff isn't present, But when you kind of look at it for what it is, it's like, sure, it's Pokemon Battles and it's online, and I enjoy trying to like.
Speaker 3: Is it are you? I know we've been talking a lot about the sort of like monetization, but like structurally, is it like you're just kind of playing match after match after match with other players online?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's like there's ranked, you can do single battles, you can do double battles, and I think maybe there's unranked, but I've I've just been playing ranked.
Speaker 4: Okay, but there's no like PvE, it's just other.
Speaker 5: Metters, got it, Yeah, it's all all other players. There might be bots. There's some people were making such bad moves. I'm like, this is probably a bot. But also it could be like an year old because it might.
Speaker 4: Have been.
Speaker 5: It might have been marketing.
Speaker 3: He was like what and it also, by the way, it also it looks like it's currently only on switch like it will come to mobile platforms later apparently, Oh no, because I was gonna send it to my daughter and see if she was interested, but I was like, oh, it's okay, switch only right now, okay.
Speaker 2: H all right.
Speaker 5: And it also, uh just kind of raises a point I've been wanting to make. And maybe this is like an opinion piece all write out on the site at some point, but I do I feel like there's there's too many Pokemon, and I think Nintendo needs to have a solution for that, because right now, it's a weird, like every time a new game comes out, it's a weird dice roll to see if like the one you like is going to get in there, and if you're not a fan of like like specifically the original one hundred and fifty one, like they introduced new Pokemon every year, and then there's a thing of like, well, who knows if you like I've I've got a yamper on the wall behind me. It's a stuffed animal. That's why Pokemon little like Corgi electric dog. He's very cute. You can get merch of him relatively easily. As far as I know, He's only appeared in like one game. He's only appeared in Sword and Shield and maybe a spinoff or two. Oh my god, it was introduced what seven years ago when those games came out, and it's just not a Pokemon that is recurring. So it's almost like she's punished for having a favorite that came out more recently. But it's just like a.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 5: The longer it goes on, the more I think they're gonna be cursed to be like, well, you didn't include every form of Pikachu and every of this Pokemon. And people get angry at wind Goal. They're like, why do is wing Goal show up all the time just because this is on a beach. We need more seagull Pokemon. There's other water Pokemon.
Speaker 3: The solution is, obviously, we hold a battle Royale every three years where reader everyone people vote on their favorite Pokemon in the top the bottom fifty just disappear if they just get deleted.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, Like I think you need a Fano snap event in Pokemon lore, like randomly half of them just get wiped out and it's totally fair because it's random.
Speaker 3: Going half wow.
Speaker 5: That does that? Does? This will be the last thing I said about the game. They did. It was a number of years ago, but they they did a poll to ask everyone what their favorite Pokemon was. I remember, yeah, and the least favorite Pokemon, or the one that was the least people's favorite Pokemon was Semis, which is a fire Pokemon black and white. Uh, there's Semissage, Semis, and Simapore, which were three elemental monkeys that were just not favored by a lot of people. All three of these dudes are in Pokemon Champions.
Speaker 4: With this guy, I.
Speaker 2: Just know I can't stand him. I'm I'm with the public.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's stupid or Pokemon in this guy.
Speaker 5: It's it's not that I don't hate It's not that I hate Semis, it's that he was he I don't know that he was the most hated. He was just the least people's favorite. Everyone else had a different favorite.
Speaker 4: Maybe people just don't use him a lot. It's not so much like a personal distage. It's like I just don't really use since since.
Speaker 3: That is that is hilarious to Charles said, it was the bottom of that list. Is one that made it into Champions, is what you're saying, right.
Speaker 4: I think they did it despite those people.
Speaker 5: And another another Pokemon that is not good, Like it's not all the competitively best Pokemon. It's kind of a lot of Pokemon that are seemingly randomly picked in some cases.
Speaker 1: So nice, interesting, Well that's Pokemon Champions. Kyle tell us about people of note, I know this is a music themed game. I've I've seen it people talking about it a bit here and there and the lead up to the release, but tell us about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I've only played like, I don't know, like an hour or two, maybe like two or three hours. It's like it's a it's a kind of it's an old school ish RPG in the sense that like I was like, oh, I'm in the first dungeon right, like I had that feeling. But the way the game is structured is it's like this very specifically like like musically musically themed world in the sense that like everyone uses musical terms, like you unlock the ability to like kick objects and the attack is called like forte you know, and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Is it kind of like Troll's World Tour?
Speaker 3: Yes? Actually, yeah, that's a great Have you seen Trolls World Tour?
Speaker 5: That's that's all the Trolls I've seen.
Speaker 2: It was like this one's so good.
Speaker 3: They're fun, not like those movies. My my, yeah, I'm just like having a moment, like, oh, I didn't think anyone else on this call would have seen a Trolls movie other.
Speaker 4: Than my girlfriend has been trying to convince me to watch those movies because she loves they're fun.
Speaker 3: They're not bad. There are There are certainly worse animated movies to watch than Trolls, for sure, but.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is done a spoiler cast on one of them.
Speaker 3: Really Okay, uh god, you guys are throwing me off so much, but yeah, Like Trolls World Tour is a movie where they go to like different genres take over like different sections of the world. Right, there's like the the there's like the country section, the pop section and stuff, and that is kind of similar here there's like a K pop area and a J pop area and stuff like that. But the thing about it is that it's like it it's reminiscent of like a Final Fantasy nine or a ten. Right is like maybe the most direct line where it's like you kind of have isometric camera. It's fully three D. Like the beginning kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy ten a little bit in like a very complimentary way really, and then and then the combat is like turn based, and then you have like timed button pressing in the combat, which I love. Like that's that's the key to my heart when it comes to a turn based RPG when I when it's not there, I miss it at this point. But it's like it's not quite rhythm based so much as it feels like a QTE, it doesn't, you know, there's it's not like you're like need to like be on rhythm, but but it's it's it's good. I like what I played. Like the writing is is clever, like it is it's very heavy on the sort of the musical puns and things like that. But like there's I took a couple like it's always like the A metric for like, oh this the writing must be pretty good. It's like I'm taking I took a few screenshots of lines of dialogue that I liked them, Like, oh, that's that's clever, you know. And it's like it's pretty straightforward in a complimentary way. You know, you get into fights, you find a store and you can like buy stronger equipment and stuff like that, and like the way the random battles works, like you fully elect if you want to do them, in the sense that like no characters are running up to you to fight you or anything like that. It's not random. You enter a room and it's like you can if you want to fight, you can press the Y button, you know. But if you want to just like run around and like explore and try to solve these puzzles, you can do that too. And it was like I like that system because like a random battles drive me insane. I've always hated them. And then b it's like I ran into a situation where I was like I found this little shop and this guy was selling things and I was like, oh, I'm like just a couple you know, vinyls short of buying this improved vest, I'll just do a couple of battles right here. I'll just press why. And it's like I like that sort of like you know, it's fully up to me if I want to engage with that stuff. But yeah, it seems really solid, right, It's not like it's not really innovative as near as I can see, like maybe it maybe it gets more out out out of the bounds of what we expect from the genre later in the game, but like early on, I was like, yeah, no, this is like a really great, like solid turn based RPG that feels kind of nostalgic, and the combat is fun and the art style is cool, and like I like the protagonist, like she seems she's like really motivated to become this like popular singer and stuff like that. Like it's uh, it's it's very charming. And it's like if you like turn based RPGs and you have you have fond memories of like the the you know, Final Fantasy seven, eight nine and even a little bit into ten uh like era, like this is this is where taking a look at for sure.
Speaker 1: That's cool people, I uh yeah, yeah, that sounds good people. Note I did want to also very quickly chat about a game.
Speaker 2: That was set in my way. It's it's a port for.
Speaker 1: Switch to of of Shadow Tactics Blades of the Shogun. Have you did either any of you play the original? It's from me and Me games.
Speaker 3: Is that the Pirates they're not pirates in that.
Speaker 2: They made the Pirate Crew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is that which was their last game before they shut Oh god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they shut down. Not long after that game came out.
Speaker 2: They shut down.
Speaker 1: I think I think they If I remember right, it was before the game came out, it was like right after it was like it was pretty it was like it was pretty known that like this is our last game, but really and stuff, We're gone. Yeah, I mean like they me and Me has worked on a lot of games. Desperados three, I think they worked on that one last Tinker Shadow game, but the Curse Crew and then we talked about that in twenty twenty three, but they they have so Shadow Tactics. Blades as a Shogun first came out I think in twenty sixteen or so. There's also a DLC called Ico's Choice. It's also been brought over to Switch to. But I did just want to shout it out because I downloaded it for my cruise and then I got on my cruise and barely played my switch but I didn't. I I've been meanings it to just bring it up on the show. It's like something to highlight for people looking for, you know, a new new in quotations, maybe one you missed right. Maybe yeah, maybe one you missed right. Me me me do fantastic work. If you're looking for a a switch to Steal Slash Tactics game. I mean, the art is gorgeous, It's takes place in the Edo period in Japan, and it's got all these really cool systems. I'm still pretty early, but it's feels great for switch and I mean there's like a mouse mode now for switch To. I'm I, you know, I feel like I'm hit or I actually don't use mouse mode ever on my switch To.
Speaker 2: I know some I don't. I know some people like.
Speaker 1: That, but it is there and I've heard from others that it works very well.
Speaker 2: But I plan to talk about.
Speaker 1: It a bit more on probably this week's edition of our What to Play this weekend on the website. But I did just want to shout it out. I know we're kind of crunched for time today, but the whole thing in the DLC are out on switch To.
Speaker 2: It looks gorgeous.
Speaker 1: It's got like that that game has like such like a cool like there's a grain to the art that I find really, uh really neat, and I mean on the switch to screen it just looks incredible. So I'm excited to keep playing that. But I did want to shout it out. Shadow Tactics Blades of the Shogun.
Speaker 4: Nice. Do we know what happened to like the like Manbi, I'm trying not to say maybe you yeah, yeah, like do we know where any of those devs wound up or if they spun up anything?
Speaker 1: So actually it's funny. Maddie was the comms lead, the former comms lead on the game, and they're the ones who are emailing me. So there are there's. Their games are still being published, but they as the developer, is no longer around. However, I believe that the founders of the studio worked to help bring this port to life. So it sounds like a pretty complicated situation, but it sounds like people. You know, it was a situation where you know, there was a lot of sadness about leaving it behind, and people are so excited about the properties and such and the games and have found ways to work.
Speaker 2: On them still. But yeah, I might have more to say. I might.
Speaker 1: We'll see how the upcoming episodes happen. You know, it's always it's always hard, But I plan to keep playing this throughout the year, is what I'm trying to say. But yeah, I know we're I know we're strapped for time. Let's take a quick ad break. We're gonna come back and talk about the best Zelda games. Be right back right after this. Welcome back to the Game Informer show. It's time to talk about Zelda games. Kyle, real quick, before we get started, I do want to give us a chance to talk about the feature that we pulled together. Yeah, because that's what inspired this discussion, and it's it's the Zelda feature in the latest issue of Game.
Speaker 3: Informer magazine, which we did make free. We decided to not have it behind the paywall, so if you want to check it out forty years of Zelda's legend, it's on our home page. I'm sure you can find it. But yeah, what it is is, it's we reached out to just a bunch of developers and said, hey, why is Zelda important to you and which one's your favorite? And we got all like we talked to and we also like extended it beyond developers a little bit, like we talked to Matt Mercer, who voices Gannendorff you know in the recent games, and Patricia Summrset, who voices Zelda I talked to. I'm sure I've plugged a bunch but I talked to Matt Johnson, the director of Nirvana, the band, the show, the movie, and I just when I interviewed him recently, I took some time to talk to him about Zelda, so I included his thoughts in there. But yeah, like we got we got in touch with Eric Barone from Stardoo Valley and he talked to and he sent us some because what I did is I reached out and just said I didn't like have phone calls all these people, but I was like, hey, send us like some some text about like what why you like Zelda? But Capcom, the director of Only Musha, Way of the Sword is on there. Greg Cassavin from Super Giant Games, we have words from him. I'm gonna shout out a bunch of these just to try to get you to go check it out. The creator of Iconoclass, which is like an indie game that I love. Young he Chi, who directed who is you know? I guess you could say it's still directing Pragmata because it's not out yet. He really he gave us some text, but he also was like, hey, do you mind if I draw a little picture for you guys? And he has Diana from Pragmata holding a little cake that says like happy anniversary.
Speaker 2: Just got a little green hat.
Speaker 3: On yeah, which is so great. I was like, I was so charmed, But I was like, it's funny that he felt like he had to ask permission.
Speaker 5: That more often just being like, uh, yeah, we can do an email interview, or you could just draws a picture.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have the direct draw a picture to all my as a response to my questions.
Speaker 2: I noticed you're wearing a green hat.
Speaker 3: I just realized, yeah, yeah, he's caused playing as Diana in that that little drawing that he did. Yes, yeah, just a shout out. A couple more we heard from folks from Sega, the director of Street Fighters six, Uh, let's see, uh, the producer of the Like a Dragon series is on there, Yacht Club Games we heard from uh yeah, just like a huge list of people just talking about a Lives of p I thought was a fun when we got the director of Lives and P on there, which West trackdown. But yeah, it's it's a big piece that looks great in the magazine and you can find on the site, and it's just it's just fun to hear like all these developers who are making video games as their career are like, yeah, no, the series is really important to me, and like here's here's what I love about it, and yeah, I thanks for letting me plug that feature and all you guys helped put it together, so I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, uh, let's get started, y'all. Who wants to go first? Who wants to start talking about their favorite Zelda games. I think we said going in, like we were gonna like Link to the Past and Ocarina and Breath of the Wild.
Speaker 2: We've talked about those to death, not that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the larger ranch eys and what it means to us. I mean I Zelda is like not to not to be too like hyperbolic, like it is like the the most important like video game thing to me, like period. Like I would not be here writing about video games if I had not fallen in love with The Opera of Time, which was my first proper Zelda that I, like, you know, played on N sixty four. I had like dabbled with Link to the Past and things like that and and Links Awakening, but like, yeah, I mean that that game is hugely to me, Like it it is the series that made me recognize that video games are art, right, like very clearly, Like this is an experience that will make you feel things other than oh I beat that level right, like oh I was able to beat that Mega Man X boss that was really exciting. Where Zelda like I had a whole suite of emotions going through, like fear and sadness and like excitement and like confusion and like joy for figuring things out, and I felt like I was like Hiral felt like a real place to me, Like it is. I can't overstate how incredibly important Zelda is to me personally, like it is acream Time is like I always say, my favorite game of all time, and that is like it's it's not a position that can be unseated, not because there aren't better games, not because there aren't you know, experiences that are better designed, but like that game is the thing that made me fall in love with a medium that I otherwise really liked a lot. It was a fun hobby and Akarina turned into like this may be the most important thing to me period. Yeah, So I mean that's that's that's Zelda for me. I don't know if you guys have the same quite as strong feelings as I do. I'm not sure, but i'd love to know.
Speaker 4: My love of a series. A lot of it, especially the earlier stuff, is a little bit more kind of like in hindsight or retrospective, because it's like I grew up with an NES and an SNS, but I never had I never owned Zelda for either of them, like the original or Linked in the past, And the first Zelda I ever played was actually links Awakening. I had a game Boy, and I remember a kid in elementary school let me borrow his copy of Links Awakening, and it's like I was aware of the series. I knew of it, and I remember playing it for like a night, and I did not like it because I didn't understand purely, I didn't understand what to do, and cause I had never played anything like it at that point, like I was playing so many other games, but a lot of it was like platformers like Mario. I was like Super Into or like Sonic at that point, like just this adventure game, we just kind of more or less kind of are free to go around and nothing's really it's not as directed as something where you're just moving from left to right. So I was just like where do I what did these puzzles like? And I just I handed it back to him, like I don't know about this and I didn't really get it. And I always looked back on that and kind of chuckled because I was like, man, I was this close to like writing off that series forever. I was like, I don't think this for me, and like I played, I played a Karina at friends because I never had an n sixty four like from after the Superintendo. I didn't have a Nintendo console until the Wei, so I missed out on a Karina and Majora and stuff, and I would only play those at friend's house, but it would be like the beginning, like I played that opening Caca Ego Village part so many times, which is like, you know, the game doesn't actually start at that point, so it's not enough to really be like Wow, what a game. But like as I got older, I started admiring the series more and more from afar, like I remember reading game form a review for win Wa Cerren sing it get ten. I was like, and I thought it looked cool, like the art direction. Like I just remember having friends that were like enraged, like I can't believe what they've done to Link and I was like, this looks cool to me. I don't know why you're so mad. This looks awesome. I wish I could play it. I have a PS two and it was around when it was we Generation. Once I had that that I started to actually go back and play them because it was when they they added Links Awakening to the virtual console and I was like, finally, I'm gonna go actually sit down and play all of this. And what was the.
Speaker 3: First one that you like played beginning to end? Like do you know?
Speaker 4: I'm trying to remember because if it wasn't Links to Link to the Past, it might have been Twilight Princess because I played that on WI Yeah, so I that was definitely the first three D Zelda I played from start to finish. I just don't remember it was the first Zelda, so it was either that or Linked to the Past, I know for sure. And then I just kind of went backwards like I you know, I bought the GameCube copy of wind Waker played on WI whatever for like uh a Karina. I played in college like the original version of it on N sixty four because I had a friend who had their in sixty four and I was like, can I just come over your house like over like an hour long and just get through his game? And so that's how I played it. And I guess like the first game that I ever got in like brand new was Skyward Sword interestingly enough, but yeah, it's like I said, a lot of my someone that didn't like totally grew up with it but just admired it. I have so almost like a lot of like a historical appreciation for a lot of the series and was going, you know, going back and just like appreciating it for what it did at the time, even if I didn't have it wasn't like a formative experience for me. But then once I got into like the newer stuff, then it was like, oh, this is still like this is the best thing I've played, like today, Like when Link between Worlds came out, which is game it doesn't get talked about enough. I don't think I think that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that game is.
Speaker 4: That game is phenomenal, Like it might be my favorite three yes game. Uh and then Breath of the Wild is one probably top five favorite games of all time. Like adore that game and made me feel like a little kid again playing it. Uh. Yeah, So It's like I missed I missed the boat for like the first half.
Speaker 3: Of the Red Line. You missed the Red Line.
Speaker 4: I missed the Red Line. Actually, you know what, going back to which one was my first one, I just remembered I did have Minish Cap on GBA and I played it on my switch light, So I think, actually, I think minush Caap was my first one that I finished for like, played from start to finish.
Speaker 3: Not I love Minish Caps like a top five Zelda for me truly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Grace sound track. I mean, you all have great sales tricks, but I have a special affinity that I think, actually, I think that is my first proper Zelda from start to finish is Minage cap. Not a weaken that part of my memory.
Speaker 3: But yeah, his physical his copy like GBA box, I.
Speaker 4: Still have mine, but I just have the cartridge. I don't have the box.
Speaker 1: Well, when Marcus started talking, I was like, oh, yeah, so I don't collect many physical games all, you know, I really kind of keep it pretty limited because I run out of space. I do have probably my favorite thing that I own is my my Game Boy collection. Uh, and Marcus started talking about Links Awakening. I've got links Awakening the version, yeah, d X version. Yeah, a lot of these I purchased. I would start with the cartridge, so these aren't like my originals, and then over time of like okay, I want to get like the full complete in box, and so I would like I remember I had this. I was watching eBay for ages for Pokemon Pinball like a mint box, and but I.
Speaker 2: I've slowly been accumulating them.
Speaker 1: But the Zelda Zelda feels I mean poke, it's hard not to not to say about Pokemon. You talk about childhood nostalga with the game Boy, but I just remember, like I've got Zelda Sporcle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like I for the first time, like recently when it came out on Switch, was the first time I played through it.
Speaker 4: Those are the two that I still have not played. I think those are the only two Zeldas I've not touched at all. But I got both of them on like, I have them on my three ys, and I bought them before they shut down the shops, so they are waiting for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like Ages and Seasons as a kid, it really appealed because it was that they were doing the Pokemon thing right.
Speaker 2: The Red and the Blue. Unfortunately there was no green.
Speaker 1: But you know, I just love every every few months, I'll pull out my game Boy collection and just kind of like rift through like the you know, the manuals, and it really there's something about the Zelda games in particular that bring up a a certain nostalgia for me. It's funny because like my friends owned all of these games growing up, and so I would like play it here and there, and I would like look at their game copies and read their manuals. But my family didn't really have the money to buy a lot of games. I was always renting games, and of course you couldn't rent game Boy games, at least not in my area, and.
Speaker 5: So that was the thing I was never I wasn't renting games when game Boy games were yeah on the.
Speaker 3: Shelves, but my Blockbuster had a few, but it was really really rare.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember really wanting Probby Tilt Tumble and being disappointed Blockbuster never had. I don't want to try that thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, it just like brings me back and I love it, and I love these games, and you know, game.
Speaker 3: Boy is like you're in for Zelda, Like that's where right. Yeah, that's kind of like where you love.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it kind of like with me a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it probably started actually in sixty four and then afterwards going because like I said, I never had the money to buy the games, and so my enjoyment was tied to my friends copies.
Speaker 2: And that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And that was kind of like my story with Zelda in general. I played the Operina of Time games or a game rather countless times, but I always had to rent it, and so every time I would start from the start, and I never actually beat it because I would only have like two days and I was just not the kid who could sit down and play through an entire game in two days. But so a lot of my fandom for Zelda came after the fact, and like as an adult going back and while I remember I remember like picking these up in Target and stuff, you know, and you know, seeing my friends have them and look at them, it really wasn't until I was probably in my early twenties that I finally started going back and playing them. And uh, yeah, I just I love the Zelda series so much, and the game Boy games in particular, and I include the GBA games.
Speaker 2: You know, we were talking about.
Speaker 1: Minus Cap earlier, and then from there I really started to get into like like I had Spirit Tracks, and Spirit Tracks is like this show really interesting departure, but it's funny. Spirit Tracks was actually probably the it took me off guard. I didn't really know much about it. I saw Zelda on the cover and I bought it without sight unseen.
Speaker 2: I was like, what the hell is this?
Speaker 1: I was I was thinking it was gonna be like linked in the past, you know, and then it's like, wait, I moved the stylist.
Speaker 2: What is happening. It's a weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a weird. It's weird on the touchscreen controls, yeah, like yeah, the structure of like being on the train. Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's when I was gonna ask, like, did you ever play Phantom Hourglass before Spirit Tracks? Or have you played Phantom Hourglass in general?
Speaker 2: I have not.
Speaker 1: I've been trying to find a copy in my local stores and I just never see it. And I guess I could go on eBay and just buy it, but there's something about I kind of like to to stumble on those game Boy games when I'm out and about, unless I've already got the game and I'm looking for the packaging. Usually, like I find these at like I go to level Up Games in Minneapolis and I'll find the game and I'm like, Okay, now I can go on eBay and I'll buy the packaging if I really want it.
Speaker 4: I say, that was the first one where you played with the stylists and at the time and we're like, oh, this is so weird, but then eventually it kind of coialesces and it works. It still as one of the best Zelda puzzles ever where you have to.
Speaker 5: Shut the Do you think that's one of the best Zelda puzzles.
Speaker 4: It's I think it's one of the cleverest Zelda.
Speaker 2: It's very very metal gear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it's such a fourth wall breaking puzzle. Like at the time, I was like, holy crap, that's such.
Speaker 3: A cool life before I definitely want to hear Charles's history. But Marcus, could you explain that puzzle for people that might not understand. It's very simple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's basically I might get the d tales wrong. Feel for you to correct me if I'm wrong, but basically you have to I think you have a map or you have some sort of piece of paper you need to need to copy something or print something from the top, Yeah, from the top screen to the bottom. And the way you do that is that you have to physically close the DS and then open it back up, and the stamp appears on the other screen. And it doesn't like tell you to do that, is just like get this stamp from here to there. You're like wow. And then I just remember thinking, I'm I'm like, what if You're like, that's the only way I could think of it. I was like, and at that point I beaten other zeldagains. It's like, you know what this series would be, this would be something they would do, Like I give them the benefit of the doubt. They're like, yeah, they would do this, let's see if it works. And then it worked, and I still think it's one of the coolest puzzles they've ever done.
Speaker 3: I think that's fair actually, But yeah, Charles, I mean, you're I know, we I'm sorry, we bring this up all the time. I'm sorry, but you are the youngest among us, so I am curious what your sort of trajectory with zeld is. For sure, you know it's gonna be a little different from Mars in Bed.
Speaker 5: It is, but it's it's it's weird because I Zelda is the first game series that I remember, and I have no idea what it was about it. Maybe I just really liked Lincoln Smash Bros. But I remember being like, gosh, those games look so cool. I want to play them so bad, Like I remember yearning for them, and specifically, uh, Okerina of Time I played on the Wii virtual console because I I guess I had somehow found some stuff online where people were like, well, this is the greatest game of all time, Like the greatest game of all time. Everyone's got to be right about that. That's so cool, and you could just.
Speaker 3: Open up it's wrong.
Speaker 5: You could just open up the Wii Shop channel if you had no money or no no virtual credit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the greatest game, the best game ever.
Speaker 5: And then there's like Smash Bros. Brawl had like weird demos for games, so like you could play the first few minutes of Okarina of Time.
Speaker 4: I forgot about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I.
Speaker 3: Had like ways where I'm sorry, I don't want to cut you up, Like is that was that your like early Okaarina experience was like the Brawl demo, Yes, you play it absolutely cool.
Speaker 5: I played that before anything else, uh, And I just remember going through all the steps of like one birthday I finally got a Classic Controller, and then the next birthday or maybe for Christmas, I finally got like the Wei Shop Channel Point, and I was like, I can finally play what I called Ocarnea of Time because I had never seen spoken out loud before. So even though it is like an old game, it's definitely the oldest game I have like specific nostalgia for. But then also, Phantom Hourglass came out in like O seven or something, and I had a DS before I had a WI, and I don't know when I played it, but I have just memories of my friend had Phantom our Glass and maybe I had New Super Mario Bros. And we like traded cartridges one time, and now remember being like, oh, this is so this is so much cooler than New Super Mario Bros. And then the thing too of like a lot of my I think I come from a very specific generations where like, uh, stylist controls and most controls to me, people are like, oh, these are like so obtuse, and they make the games so annoying. They're so unecessary. I'm like, that's how you play games. It's the WE and the DS, it's the stylist and the most controls. Yeah, heavy attacks. All the license games on the Wei would make heavy attacks shaking the WE remote and I'm like, that's just one of the buttons, and you just got to get used to that. Everyone that says they don't like it, it's kind of a skill issue.
Speaker 4: Wow, like you old cry babies exactly.
Speaker 5: So I was like, people would complain about the touch controls and Phantom irowglass and I'm like, you're being a little dramatic. It's it's not that big of a deal. You can touch the screen a few times. Interesting, It's it's nice to have a unique angle on Zelda, right. But but then but then you do play link between worlds and you're like, oh boy, it's nice to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, and yeah.
Speaker 5: As the years have gone on, definitely not my favorite all games. I have a lot more nostalgia for. I think I owned Spirit tracks, but I never owned Phano myiaglass until much later. The other thing I want to say is like, musically, Zelda was very impactful for me, not just in the sense of like it's music that I liked, but like I was very much like a band kid growing up and would like learn to play songs on trombone or on piano of just like, oh, this is like the the the Agarina songs from Accrea of Time are really good because like it's just like three notes, so the bar for success is very low. And that's one of the things of like learning an instrument that I think is hard when people will just go out of a book. It's like, and here's how you play hot Cross Buns and hot Cross Buns is a boring song and you don't really feel satisfied to do it successfully. But if you know, like the song of Storms, you can play that even though it's like six notes, when three of them are the same, repeat it over and over again, you feel like you've accomplished something from just like playing it's like, oh, wow, awesome, I'm good at music. And that going on to like just YouTube compilation videos of like I would, I would. I still do this. Sometimes I'll just look up best Zelda music. It'll be like a three hour video and I'll have it minimized and playing in my headphones, and as soon as the song starts. I have to tell myself what game it's from and what the title of the track is. So one of my favorite songs is Crimson loft Wing from Skyward Sword, and it's like a duet between a flute and a French horn. But I would like to pretend it was a trombone because I don't have horn. But yeah, I it's it's very I also have I have multiple acrenas that I have played before just for fun. I just think it's a good I like it as a musical staple.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a nice It's just like a nice, little, pleasant, small instrument, right, because usually in struments are like as a drummer, that's always been my like my burden is like I can't I can't just be like, oh, you know, I want to play a little drums. It's like no, no, I have to like sit down and like spread my arms out, you know.
Speaker 5: Next maybe the next other game link I'll have a wood block and you like, yeah, the woodblock representation.
Speaker 4: The little drummer kit that you wear litt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, hey, I mean when in Medora's Mask and that when you're when you're a gore on he pulls out the drums, and that was always my favorite. Like I would I would actually like pull a songs on there. Right. So it's funny to say songs when you're a drummer because percussion is like different. But it's like, yeah this, hey, this is the beat from that song. People be like, yeah, sure, I trust you on this.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We did a whole super replay on it. That was the last three D's Elda. I'd never played.
Speaker 3: It was the you and I Kyle did yeah, and so yeah, so you can watch and then you put the last episodes over on mid Max, right because of the weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is linked on our page. I didn't link it relay page. Hell yeah.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: There's actually several three D's Elder games I have not played. I've never played wind Waker, which I know is like that's a great one. I really want to play it really bad.
Speaker 2: Uh. And then I've never played Skyward Sword.
Speaker 5: Both are on Switch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got I did buy the Skyward Sword, like the re release.
Speaker 3: It's a good way to play Skyward Sword. I like Charles. I actually will go to go to bat. I will go to we Remote Swing for most controls to a degree, and Skyward Sword is built around them, right, it is with that in mind, and I think it is is a fun experience to play with motion controls. But like the switch port of Skyward Sword, which gives you the option you can do it either way. Totally great way to play that game. You know. I replayed it when it came out without the motion controls and had a good time.
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask, Alex, are you are you holding out for Nintendo to bring win Wake or HD proper to Switch because you can't play it on Switch. But it's the GameCube version via the virtual or the Nintendo Switch online expansions. Yeah, and the HD version is the like holy superior version.
Speaker 3: Or that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do have a we You and I took one when g I was shutting down. I was like, we've got like ten of these in the office.
Speaker 2: I would like a wee You game.
Speaker 3: You cannot go on the store for we You anymore? Right, it is totally not OK because I.
Speaker 1: Was unfortunately I found that the games are pretty expensive too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I because I I bought I I kind of like did a run before the store was down because it's like you can Phantom Hourglass and like Spirit trucks are are you can buy them for the WIU and play them on the WU because you can use the WEU game pad as a touch screen and stuff like that. And I was like, I was kind of like this is this isn't this is gonna be like the only way to play these games this way on a TV at a certain point. So like, so, yeah, I have like I I made sure to have like Phantom Hourglass on my WIU that I'll just always keep in a cabinet that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair, But so I haven't played that.
Speaker 1: I didn't play Covered Sword. You know what I really love it we haven't talked about is the links Awakening remake is Yeah, probably like one of my favorite Zelda games. I think the art direction is just ridiculous and really brings me back to how I felt playing early Zelda games. It was like, you know, I've played links Awakening before, but not like this, And it was one of those I remember when that trailer first came out for the remake with the toy like you know, art style, just really being struck with like this wonder It's like, oh, yeah, like this is a game that we've had access to for ages, but like there's just something about the way that they have rendered it that it feels like wholly new in a way and kind of brings me back. And I really enjoyed that that that remix. I think it was just really really well done, and I would consider it like one of my favorite Zelda games.
Speaker 4: It's a great game. Like I I had gone going back to like that being my first Zelda and almost and like hating it at the time, Like I rectify that with links Awakening DS, Like I played that on the DS or three DS and beat it, so I'll always have like a like a special SAFT spot for that game of like this is technically my first Zelda and I remember just like going from hating this game to like playing other Zelda games, loving them them, going back to links Awaken and being able to appreciate what it was doing and playing that remake and what they did so it especially like adding the d X like dungeon and contents. Yeah, like and I love that our stat too, like especially one of the few ambos I have is links Awakening. Yeah, I was like, this is like he's like perfect for like he's already a little toy. What you guys think of Kyle. I know your thoughts because you reviewed it. But what did you guys think of Echoes of Wisdom, which is like the first I guess, like proper Zelda, like technically not the first Zelda game where you can play a Zelda for talking about the CDI games, which we're not in this conversation, we're not.
Speaker 5: So we're actually not celebrating all of zeld this history.
Speaker 4: Quick.
Speaker 3: I tracked on the producer of those games many years ago, and there's a big feature on Game and formher. It's like if you google like Game Informer, Phillips CDI Zelda games. One of the proudest features I've ever done for Game and Former in my all my time here was tracking that guy down and talking to him about how those games came together. So seek that out. Yeah you threatened them, right, what's you threatened him? I threatened him, that's right, talk to me.
Speaker 2: By Echoes of Wisdom.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed the first few hours of and then it started to kind of dwindle for me because my felling, my strategies weren't changing all that much.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I remember being stuck in a boss fight in the sand area and it's a boss that flies around and I only had I was spawning archers, but they would only be able to fire like one arrow before they because I had run out of everything else. And I would spawn an archer, they'd fire an arrow and hit the flying enemy, and then they would get killed, and then I would do it again. That boss fight literally took me, no exaggeration, fifteen minutes to beat because I was like, well, I'm surviving, but I don't.
Speaker 2: This is my only option and that I have, I think, and it's taking forever.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know why you didn't do what I did and just stack a bunch of beds and then get up higher and then just shoot it. Oh that's the answer to everything that game. Just stack a bunch of beds and it'll probably fix something.
Speaker 1: I didn't stack a lot of beds because I felt like it was cheap, and I'm I was at the time, No, no, no, not not actually, but at the time I remember, I was like everyone else is just stacking beds, and I'm like, I'm gonna try it another way eventually. Yeah, I think I think I stacked a lot of trees, like planted trees, potted plants if I remember correctly. But yeah, that game had a lot of interesting ideas. It just it didn't hold me. I didn't end up beating that because I was like, all right, I think I'm.
Speaker 2: I'm a little over this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I liked it. I finished it, but yeah, it gets to a point where it felt like I was solving certain things the same way, Like even though I have all these options, it's like, well, these five still work, Like these beds still get the job done. So like even though I can stack multiple things, I don't really have enough incentive.
Speaker 1: To like if it's not broken kind of yeah, yeah, but I needed some more limitations with that stuff to like, for I.
Speaker 5: Was going to say that, yeah, if they like limited in certain areas to you said to get new.
Speaker 2: Ones here and you can't place beds, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I like being able to like just walk, Like I got to kick of being able to walk over the tree tops and which would normally be like hard borders in a top down Zelda, and just like I'm gonna go to this area that I I don't think I'm supposed to be in now, but I can just stack enough things, walk over the trees and get to this new area, and I kind of like that. It's kind of had a breath of a wild style, like breaking the game kind of stuff. But I don't know when Echoes of Wisdom is interesting because that game came out when we were shut down, so it's like we weren't really around to like talk about it. So like outside of Kyle's retrospective review, I've never really gotten a sense, like as a staff, where we stood on that game.
Speaker 1: It was cool, ideas execution middling, I think, But I know Carl Charles not Carl Charles.
Speaker 2: Does need to get out of here, don't you, Charles?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I want to close real quick. Was just saying, I also have this made this stained glass heart container that's just as another example of Cool's elder stuff.
Speaker 3: That's specifically the Twilight Princess heart, right or is it?
Speaker 5: H I don't think. I think she she made this design herself. Just looking at a few looks great. Yeah, yes, I do have to get out of here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think that's going to kind of wind down the show for us. Let us know in the comments what your favorite Zelda games are, and of course, don't forget gaming from dot Com slash subscribe, pick up a copy of the magazine, or pick up a subscription. You can find us on news stands as well. Guys, thanks for thanks for chatting.
Speaker 2: Today is a good episode. All right. We'll see you all next week. Have a good week. Goodbye.