Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the Buck Eye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here as always.
Speaker 2: With Tom or Tom.
Speaker 3: How's it going, Tony? We get to play beat the clock.
Speaker 4: We're running our two minute offense on this show because the room is supposed to close in I don't know, fifteen minutes or so, so we have to run a little bit of tempo.
Speaker 3: Here we go. Earlier we were well.
Speaker 2: I'm more about efficiency rather than tempo.
Speaker 4: Earlier when we were in a different spot and they started turning the lights off and.
Speaker 3: It was like, uh, we're not that late, right.
Speaker 2: So here we are.
Speaker 1: We've recapped what we heard from Ryan Day earlier. Today recapped what we heard from Julian saying you and Marcus talked about what you have heard from Jalen McClain. We are now going to talk about maybe the most under talked about player for the Ohios date Buck Guys, Jeremiah Smith, and what he had to say today. He had a pretty good crowd around him from what I saw. I did not get over there, Yes, but because I could not because there was no room.
Speaker 3: Because everyone else did. Yes. And if you're wondering, like why would Tony not go talk to Jeremi Smith.
Speaker 4: It's because they'd have three interviews that happened all three Heisted players were talking at the same time. So you can talk to Julian saying, or you can talk to Jeremiah Smith, or you can talk to Jaalen McLean. So we had to sort of divide and conquer. And I was with Jeremiah Smith. He said, you know, there was a lot of talk about this year's schedule.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he said.
Speaker 4: Last year, really they weren't battle tested at the end of the year. They played their toughest game in you know, against Texas. They played a really tough game against Texas early and then they kind of went a long stretch of the season without really getting tested again.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it was something that right we knew there was kind of openly.
Speaker 4: Talked about, even in the time that Brian able to use the phrase matchup, you know, matchup game where you're you're playing a team that's you know, this is a legitimate matchup. When you heard about that about Texas, and then it was like, boy, you didn't really hear that a lot again until about Penn State or so, and even Penn State was like, well, it's a matchup game with a team that is about the fire as head coach.
Speaker 1: So the definition got stretched a little bit when when you're not playing enough matchup games, you're like, well, shoot, we didn't get dressed up for nothing. This is this is also a matchup game. And now this year a lot of matchup games. Juliet Sayin said the same thing in terms of last year's schedule. Let's just face it was easier. Yeah, this year's schedule, and Ryan Days got them understanding all that that this is not going to be easy. Last year, you gotta win over Texas. Great, doesn't mean anything. This year doesn't mean anything for your trip to Iowa. I know Ryan Day's trying to forget that trip to Iowa twenty seventeen, but I do wonder he has to talk about it at some point so that they are aware of just what can happen two teams that think they're pretty darn good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that the Iowa trip. It was funny.
Speaker 4: Jeremiah Smith was asked, you know, he was sort of talking about that, and he just sort of rattled off.
Speaker 3: Like we're playing places such as and said.
Speaker 4: Texas, Indiana, and Nebraska, and it was like Nebraska is not one of the ones that I would have expected to And Boyd go back in a time machine three years and said, tell yourself that Indiana.
Speaker 3: Is the second one out of your list, out of your mouth on that list.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that Iowa trip is going to be a real challenge. Iowa at Iowa and Iowa City always feels like it's about ten points better than Iowa anywhere outside of Iowa City. And Iowa was a pretty good team last year. So yeah, we'll see how how the Hawkeyes are this year. I got a little bit of time before before that one's on the schedule.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: He was asked about some of the younger guys who are sort of standing out, And this is one where the most interesting thing to me is who's name does he say first? So of the for freshman wide receivers, who's named it he say first?
Speaker 1: I'll say Brock Boyd. Wrong, I'll say you're Quaydon Guildford wrong. I'll say, if I mean have I got have I just ignored Chris Henry Jr.
Speaker 3: You have ignored Chris Jeremiah Smith didn't ignore him? And he said his name first, Yes, And.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's one of those things where he's like, yeah, these guys are all coming along really well, which, M yeah, that's that's what you're gonna say at an event like this.
Speaker 3: But you hear Chris Henry's name first.
Speaker 4: We've heard Chris Henry's name enough that it's like when we generally are talking about guys who might be impact guys, he you know, he is sort of the first name that that comes out of your comes out of your mouth, brock boy. However, Jeremiah Smith did say reminds him of himself as a freshman, which was like that was like I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. And then he said, you know, in terms of his work, ethic and determination, which if you can't match Jeremiah Smith in terms of physicality and being an athletic freak, like yet, surprise, surprise, and no one can do that.
Speaker 3: But that's pretty high praise. And I think you hear.
Speaker 4: That and you kind of go, yeah, that's that's probably what caused him to lose his blackstripe as early as he did this, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see it all the time when I see game and I say game recognized game, and it's this people can hear you laughing. It's the same thing there where it's it's the workout. You see it all going on. You see the intensity, you see the way they practice, you see the way they get after a defender, the way they get mad at a past being broken up, just the way they fight. Like, I think that's interesting that there are some comparisons there. I was immediately taken back to Marvin Harrison talking about Carnal Tate the year it has of him, uh huh in terms of the advancement, and I was almost like, so, where does that put Brockdoyd. But yeah, those are all good traits to have, and I'm not expecting you know, the eighty some catches as a true freshman that Jeff seventy four that Jeremiah Smith had. But good notes certainly for the young receivers for sure.
Speaker 4: And we've said this before, but one of the things that is most telling at these events is when there's an open ended question.
Speaker 3: Yep, who you know, who gets who gets mentioned?
Speaker 4: And because if it's like, hey, tell me about this young player, they're going to say, yeah, this young player is great and he's working really hard and we'll see how he does this fall. That doesn't tell me a lot when it's who is a guy who's not getting talked about enough on the team. That's like, okay, you're now you're giving me a meaningful answer. He named someone on defense. Oh and it was someone who I thought, I feel like this person's getting talked about a decent amount. So I don't know, maybe this is really good that he feels they're not getting talked about. Ken Yata Jackson.
Speaker 2: You know who's good?
Speaker 1: The fifth year senior returning starter who has really stepped up. Yes, the defensive leader that we've heard so much about. I mean, shoot, anybody that's standing out and catching your eye, that's great. Kenyanta Jackson has to be great this year. And nothing we have heard, nothing we've seen last year, nothing inside stuff has disputed the fact that he's in line for a very very big year.
Speaker 2: Real quick.
Speaker 1: On the point about the open ending question versus how are so and so doing? Somebody did ask Julian saying like, hey, how are the young receivers doing?
Speaker 2: Like Chris and Brock?
Speaker 1: And then it's like, well, you know, Chris doing this and Brock is doing this, and everybody's doing great, and it's like that those are the differences in terms of questions like that and the answers and why I probably why we probably didn't talk about Julian's answer to that same question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a little bit of objection leading the witness. That's definitely one of those cases. He did when he was sort of explaining the Kenyata Jackson thing, said he's gonna have a big year. He said he could have a Chase Young kind of effect. Not didn't say he's Chase Young. He said, could have a Chase Young type effect.
Speaker 3: Hopefully he shows that this year as we did he say Chase Young. He said Chase Young. He said the name Chase Young.
Speaker 2: Yes, is it because of the jersey?
Speaker 4: It could be Kenyata Jackson is worry number two this year, So that that will certainly help with that comp Remember when it used to be the shoes, Yes, I do. I believe spikef Ley said something about that back in the day. Speaking of basketball, he said he messed up a route yesterday during at the facility, messed up a route, dropped the ball and said he's talking about how he expects a lot out of himself, and he said he messed up arout, dropped the ball, said he kicked there was a bag or something like that, kicked the bag and he said, but that's how Kobe was, So you know, I think that's one of those things where you have to be a little bit hard on yourself because complacency only gets you to complacency get you where you are. He Jeremiah Smith obviously is in a pretty good spot right now. He's not interested in staying there.
Speaker 2: No, And he's very good right now. Right, He's great right now.
Speaker 3: Many would say so, yes.
Speaker 1: But he's not satisfied with that or else. You know, why is he out there at all? Why is he out there right now? It's shoot, it's July. Yeah, camp starts in a week.
Speaker 2: Deal with it.
Speaker 1: Then, Like used to be, they these kids would go and find jobs or go back home smoke and drink, and then you come back and oh, shoot, I forgot it's football. Football's here and now it's a year round. So like, yes, he's gonna put all of that work in. I would suggest, though, just know what's in the bag that you're kicking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's bowling ball.
Speaker 2: Is not something you want to go ahead and start kicking.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the last thing was he was he just sort of referenced at one point, you know, going you know, going into his last season, and someone said a little tongue in cheek, you know, hey they I don't know if you heard you have five years to play five now and he kind of laughed and he said, yeah, I think it might be time. So enjoy Jeremiah Smith while you have him, because this will most likely be his last season in Columbus, Ohio.
Speaker 1: Yes, the NFL has five for five words. The first round picks get the team option for that fifth year. Ohio State trying to get that fifth year option for Jeremih Smith. Yeah, I've got I mean, when have we ever talked about a four or fourth year for Jeremih It's always been a joke, even during like recruiting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is a reason we did not lead with that as exclusive breaking news. Jeremiah Smith thinks he might leave after this season. That's must credits Buckeye Insiders dot Com.
Speaker 2: Some aggregator will have that out there though.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely absolutely so.
Speaker 1: That will do it from here. If you want to hit the thumbs up, we'd appreciate that. If you're watching on YouTube, if you've not yet subscribed to the channel, do it hit the bell to be notified. You might be get notified quite a bit this week, and you're going to be getting notified quite a bit next week, and week after and subsequent weeks after that as well, all the way through perhaps January or more so. Now is a fantastic time to sign up on YouTube. Also an even better time to sign up at Buckeye Insiders dot com.
Speaker 2: Would love to see you all there.
Speaker 1: We've got tons of stuff going on, x's nos recruiting football stuff as you know, basketball stuff going on as well. So that will do it from here. Thank you all for tuning in, and we will talk to you all later.
Speaker 4: This time.
Speaker 1: What else.
Speaker 3: Using through a wait, don't no one tell me I wish you never done nothing.
Speaker 4: Where?
Speaker 3: If you can tell me that's a boy, it's all right. We could see currently that