Speaker 1: S sh I have seven h six here a forty five KRC decalk station. Are you have to Tuesday team made extra special in studio from the Hudson Instito Miami University or University or Miami University as well. Bring him acgown and he's here to talk about energy policy, among other things. Head on over to Hudson dot organ and check out what they do. They talk about defense, international relations, economics, energy, technology, culture and the law. Helping policymakers make better decisions. Good to see you break them. Always a pleasure to have you in the studio. Thanks Brian also responsible for the Charged Conversation podcast.
Speaker 2: You should check that out.
Speaker 1: Or he talks about energy policy, which we're going to be talking about here in the studio.
Speaker 2: What's the most recent episode focused on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the most recent episode is Iron's and Richmond Peaceful Use or Weapons Path to War.
Speaker 1: They talk about enrichment and there's weapon grade enrichment of uranium. They use these centrifuges and this is beyond It's like the peace of God. For me, I don't understand how it's done, but fundamentally, the centrifuge are used to enrich the uranium to the point where it can be used as a nuclear weapon. But in terms of what's used in your modern day nuclear reactor compared to weapons grade, what percentages are we talking about? What's the difference here? Are they really close to each other? Are they miles apart in terms of enrichment?
Speaker 3: Well, Brian, you know what you are asking the magical question, because I think once we talk about this, it's going to be pretty crystal clear to anybody listening that Iran is not pursuing a peaceful path to civilian nuclear power.
Speaker 2: And that's all we ever hear.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, all we do is want to have it for our own power generation. But what's what's the reality, what's behind the veneer of that argument?
Speaker 3: Well, when we take uranium two thirty five and just look at it, it's point seven of one percent enriched, which isn't enough. That's laying around on the ground, that's in its natural stake. It's in its natural stake. So uh, it needs to be enriched to three to five percent for civilian nuclear use. Three to five percent.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound like very much at all.
Speaker 4: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: And it's relatively safe and stable, and that's enough to sustain a chain reaction of generating heat continuously, and that's what we need to boil water to turn turbines to make electricity.
Speaker 1: Pretty simple, simple as that, it is, all right, Well, what's where's the'ron?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: Up until a moment ago in Israel blew the crap out, Well, to the extent they did that much damage, let's assume for the sake of discussion, they did able. They were able to hit the centrifuges, which are buried underground. But where were they and what were talking about in terms of enrichment.
Speaker 3: Well, what they promised to not go beyond was three point seventy five percent. That was under the Obama deal. Right, we'll give you gazillions of dollars and you promised not to nucas deal. So today they said it's sixty percent.
Speaker 1: Oh, what other use can sixty percent enrich uranium be put to?
Speaker 3: Well, I suppose you could take the four hundred kilograms and I'm gonna have to do a quick conversion, but I think they're like nine hundred pounds, so I'll have to check that out. I think a kilogram is two pounds two pounds, all right, So eight hundred pounds of this stuff, and I guess you could dilute it and have enough power to fuel I don't know, thirty fifty nuclear power plants for the next five hundred years or or catch me on this. The technical leap is to enrich it up past fifty percent. Once you get to sixty, an actual bomb only needs eighty. That's a very quick Within a few days, you could go from sixty to eighty. So my guess is, and I'm going way out on a limb here, is that they're trying to make bomb.
Speaker 1: Gee, it doesn't seem like it's going on in a limb too much there, bring I know. And then you combine that with their ballistic missiles. They've gotten really good at rockets.
Speaker 3: Right, They've gotten really good at rockets, and you put a payload on there, and look, even if you can't even if we say, well look, making a detonation device to go nuclear is not so easy, Well fine, you just load all this material on a bunch of missiles, dirty bomb, and you do dirty bombs all over Israel. And that's what Israel was saying, was they forecast that Iran had about two thousand ballistic missiles and within a couple of years they'd beat to six, eight, ten thousand. You're not going to stop that many. So they crossed the rubicon and said enough's enough. If nobody else is going to put an end to this, we will.
Speaker 2: Well, and Trump gave him that sort of window.
Speaker 1: He didn't call it a red line, but he said, you know, we need to negotiate a deal within sixty days. Now, I think with hindsight we can say there was some measure of coordination with what Israel was going to do and that sixty day window, and maybe Trump said, listen, Benjamin, just hold off. I know you're going to get ready to strike them, and there's nothing I can do to stop you from doing that, but let me just do this sixty day window, because if we can really get them to sit down and take this discussion seriously, maybe we can avoid an all out conflict. Well, sixty days came and went Day sixty one. Israel's bombing the hell out of the run.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think that's absolutely right.
Speaker 3: And you know, to be fair, I think you know, Trump meant what he said, let's try to get a deal. But I think if you look back at the Iranians and what they've learned from subsequent previous I'm sorry for previous administrations.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and from Western Europe is there's no resolve, no consequences, no consequences, just want to talk. It's like if we have a son or daughter at home, a threatening, repeating parent with no consequences. You know, they get more time, they continue down the path, and they even get money for doing this. It's a great gig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. And that's another nefarious element to all this. But going back to your I just I latched onto it. Going from sixty percent to the eighty percent. You need to make an all out nuclear weapon, you said on it takes a couple of days to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you have the right enrichment, because it's once you get to a certain point and you have that much material, it's pretty easy to condense down. You know, imagine this is not quite the correct analogy, but you know, you have a bunch of salt and salt water, you boil off the water, you're left with one hundred percent salt, same kind of deal, and you know, and you know, a perfect bomb would be around ninety percent, but eighty works.
Speaker 1: Well, which makes me want to go back to the dirty bomb concept. I would think sixty percent enriched uranium in a bomb would create a pretty horrific scenario if it got dispersed in the air, in the atmosphere.
Speaker 4: It really would.
Speaker 3: Whether it's air dispersed or a surface detonation, you're going to contaminate large swaths of life, land, property. You will kill people, maybe not all at once, but through radiation poisoning, and you'll make large areas of land uninhabitable for many, many years.
Speaker 1: I suppose one reluctance Iran would have to doing that is and I don't know. I guess logistically speaking, if you got sixty percent and it doesn't take that much more time to get it to eighty percent, why haven't they already done that? Or maybe they have, I mean, we don't have people inside the building, I guess looking at it and testing the level of enrichment going on in there. Do we, maybe the Israeli defense forces to given the amazing military accomplishment of getting all those drones in there for close ends drone strikes, But.
Speaker 2: Do we even really know?
Speaker 3: I think we know that it's at least at sixty percent. The Israelis are reporting that they have at least one crude bomb already made, which begs the question that maybe they were already up to eighty to ninety percent. But you know, the Israelis are very good. They are very good at their intelligence, and we're also relying on the United Nations, the ia A.
Speaker 1: No, we're going to get to that part of the conversation a little bittier too, but yeah, Mosad is well known for its amazing intelligence coups.
Speaker 4: They really are.
Speaker 3: And you know, all this stuff is well planned out in advance. It's not by happenstance.
Speaker 1: No, And that's going back to them getting all of the drone capabilities and the strike capabilities inside the interior of Iran, which when the start of this conflict they unleashed that was years of preparation, presumably absolutely.
Speaker 3: And the Iron Dome David Slang, the American Patriot, and THAD missile batteries were all designed to make Iran think twice, which is why Iran was going to overwhelm the systems. And as we've seen this week, some of those missiles have gotten through. And whereas Israel has targeted the military industrial complex and the energy complex, is has been targeting Israeli cities.
Speaker 1: Now, is that because is that by intent or going back to the capabilities of Iranian missiles and their accuracy used to be. You know you had scuds, right, and those are basically bottle rockets. You know, you just launched them where they fell wherever they fell, kind of like what Hesballa was doing with its rockets. But did they intentionally target civilians in Tel Aviv and elsewhere or were those just missiles that didn't hit some sort of military target.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think most experts agree that their missile systems and their telemetry data has gotten very good and that you know they are targeting specific cities. And to your point, back during desert storm, yeah, I remember the scuds. You never knew where they were going to go. No, but no, this is a different ballgame now.
Speaker 1: Sadly, sadly, and you know, I contrast that and nobody wants to see death of any type civilian death. Is it's a sad consequence of war. But not a lot of Israelis have died. I think there was eight overnight in the most recent Iranian missile strike. And you know, I think of a big missile coming in and blowing up in a heavily concentrated area of the population. You kind of expect something larger than.
Speaker 4: That, you do.
Speaker 3: The Israelis, like the Ukrainians, have a very good early warning system. It's on your phone. They have heavily fortified bunkers underground. I see, so you know they get.
Speaker 4: The heads up.
Speaker 3: But a ballistic missile, you've got fourteen minutes from takeoff to landing.
Speaker 4: I mean it flies at the edge of space.
Speaker 3: It's not like a drone where you have eight hours to you know, have a cup of tea and think about it.
Speaker 1: We'll continue with Briga mcgowand from the Hudson Institute on these and a lot of other topics we got for this hour radio. I hope you can stick around. It's seven sixteen right now. If you have KCIT the talk station. I'd like you to t to call the chimney Care fireplace in the stove, because I don't want you to deal with a water damage problem. Yeah, you get water leaking in your chimney and your roof and the roofline, and you know that's going to cause you some major major problems down the road. Right now, the chimney care fireplaces still will come out inspector for free give you peace of mind. I mean, yeah, they come off the roof. No, everything's great. Isn't that going to be nice to know you don't have to worry about the water coming in and if you have a problem, you probably wouldn't know about it. So have the experts of Chimney Care Fireplaces, though locally owned and operated in nineteen eighty eight, coming out. They are experts at everything related to chimneys and fireplaces and free standing stoves. The other thing they got going on. Now, if you have a wood burning fireplace, you gotta worry about kreosop build up because that causes a chimney fire and that will can burn your house down. So take advantage of the spring special. They will come out and video camera inspect your entire chimney and a certified chimney sweep will sweep it out. You'll be able to confidently light that fire up when the temperatures dropped down, and that will happen eventually, you know that. So it's only one hundred and sixty nine dollars in ninety nine cents plus tax. Take advantage of that. They obviously are going to do the exterior evaluation along with the wood burning sweep so two four eight ninety six hundred five point three two four eight ninety six hundred. You can also book an appoyment online and learn more about what they can do for you and your home. It's Chimneycareco dot com.
Speaker 3: This is fifty five KRC an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 1: Heyo for a Channel nine weather forecast. Scattered showers and storms today, best chance it begins after two pm.
Speaker 2: We did have some rain this morning.
Speaker 1: I'm aware of seventy nine for the high today, sixty nine overnight. It's going to be scattered showers and storms. Tomorrow also a very humid day.
Speaker 2: Thus chance of rain begins at noon.
Speaker 1: Eighty five Tomorrow is high sixty nine overnight with more showers and storms and scattered thunderstorms are predicted for Thursday with the high of eighty one seventy two degrees.
Speaker 2: Right now, let's get a traffic update from the.
Speaker 4: UC howth Tramffic Center.
Speaker 5: Right now, over one hundred thousand people are waiting and hoping for an organ transplant to save their life. Sign up to be an organ donor or explorer Living Donation at UCHealth dot com.
Speaker 2: Slash transplant. Traffic is moving again.
Speaker 5: On WE'ST bound two seventy five approaching an accident at Coal Ring. The right two lanes are blocked up, but at one point all traffic was stopped after Hamilton Avenue because of that wreck. Now you have two lanes available to get by Kingram on fifty five KR.
Speaker 2: See the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven one here if you have five KRC the talk station find him online at Hudson dot org. Hudson's to bring him account in the studio, mister energy policy expert. He is moving away from Iran and the war that's going on. Obviously they're not trying to build civilian nuclear technology with that level of enrichment. That's a fun fact we all learned today. But in terms of domestic energy policy, we can talk a little bit about prehaps later. But I love that Trump removed California's waiver to allow them to dictate electric vehicles to the rest of the country. So freedom of choice in terms of how we want to drive around. I love that concept. But we were talking off the air about pipelines. You just recently were in Alaska and they're planning on trying to build a ANL LG export, Yes, pipeline.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Alaska has a tremendous amount of natural gas that's on tap because there's no way to get it out of the state. In fact, there's really no way to get it even off of the North Slope. Uh.
Speaker 4: And it's it's a shame.
Speaker 3: Its position geographically means that Alaska is already halfway to Asia. So for years the planners have talked about another pipeline like like the one I used to run, except instead of oil, it's going to be natural gas. And we'll take that natural gas to the coast, can press it into LNG right, right and so, and then transport it to Asia, where it makes a lot of sense. So, unlike previous administrations which had banned any such talk, President Trump had three Cabinet secretaries EPA Administrator Lee z Elden, Secretary of Energy Chris Wright, and Secretary of the Interior Doug Bergham up in Alaska to say, we're here to clear anything. What do you need? How can the federal government help? This is your state. It's not Alaskas it's not Washington d C. State, it's not Massachusetts state, it's Alaska. Governor Dunlevy, what do you want to do so.
Speaker 1: Let's say that again. Well, okay, we're gonna build a pipeline. The problem with anything like the XL pipeline, it's one environmental activist lawsuit after another. I mean, unless you get rid of the legal vehicle to run into courts to have these things stop, you're going to have delay period into story, regardless of the outcome of the lawsuit, it's going to take years of work its way through. And oddly enough, even though they ultimately get approval, all the lawsuits have been fought and won by the pipeline builders. As we saw the XL pipeline, magically, another lawsuit or challenger impediment pops up and ends up in the way again Brigham, what do we do about that or how do we stop that?
Speaker 3: Well, look, it's organized lawfair right, Clearly these NGOs and people. Climate is a religion to certain people, and they are held bent that we cannot.
Speaker 4: Can I say that on the air?
Speaker 2: Yes you can.
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry about that, not to allow us to use fossil fuels.
Speaker 4: Period. It's become a religion.
Speaker 3: And the fact is right, our energy mix will change, but we have to use fossil fuels.
Speaker 4: And you're right.
Speaker 3: It's not really about oh, you didn't study this, or you forgot to consult with this group of people.
Speaker 4: It's all. It's all bs.
Speaker 3: They want it to stop these projects and make it so untenable. Nobody wants to risk their cash building one.
Speaker 4: Of these things.
Speaker 1: And that works presumably. I mean, I guess I kind of speculate and sort of ponder my navel about how many projects just never even got close to off the ground because of that very challenge. Yeah, there's been a lot of them. You know, we used to be a nation of builders. We built things. Now it's turned into we can't. But some recent decisonsions by the Supreme Court on what NIPA means, what you have to do, had been helpful. You know, everybody throws NIPA around. I hear it all the time in DC. Oh, it's a bed rock environmental lag. No, it's not Clean Water Act Clean Air Act. Fine, it's a procedural rule, like the rules of civil procedure. How you have to do something, and just because you have a paperwork or administrative error doesn't mean you throw the entire thing out. And we can study things to death, right. Keystone Hotel was studied longer than it took us to win World War Two, and yet we didn't study it enough well. And going back to the project you work on, which was the Alaska Pipeline, the original one. And I remember the commercials for getting workers go up to Alaska, Alaska. We're working in Alaska, and they showed pictures of the pipeline being built. You can point it out through the off air. It only took three years to build the whole damn thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, eight hundred miles in the Arctic, across hundreds of creeks, rivers, streams, mountains minus forty degrees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bear hostile environment, maybe, and yet it only took thre years about eight hundred miles worth the pipeline and it's been totally safe for almost fifty years. Yep, Coral, it's no, it's not crazy. It's illustrative of what can be done if you don't stand in the way of progress.
Speaker 2: We're gonna continue with Briga mcgwn.
Speaker 1: I've got a full hour in the studio with him, and I feel blessed about that. Then get in touch with Zimmer Heating and air commissine keeping areas home safe, efficient and comfortable coming up on eighty years. Congratulations the third generation Zimmer family for doing just that. They do wonderful work. Customer services great, the price is always right. Have them service whatever kind of unit you got. They'll take great care of it. They've got maintenance plans you can get on to extend the life of it. But one day, and it may be today for you, it's gonna go belly up. But a good time to have that happen, because right now you can save up to fifteen hundred and fifty dollars on a new Carrier comfort system for my friends at Zimmer Heating and Cooling. And what about you, I call fifteen hundred and fifty bucks some good money and that's a great savings from the folks at Zimmer and you get a wonderful system for that made by Carrier, the folks that invented air conditioning. So give Chris Simmer a call or go to the website. You can schedule appointment either way.
Speaker 2: To call them.
Speaker 1: It's five one three five two one ninety eight ninety three five one three five to one ninety eight ninety three. Online it's go Zimmer dot com.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC dot com.
Speaker 1: Open wonderful cass showers and storms today. The best chance begins at two pm today. Seventy nine is going to be the high. Overnight, we got clouds, muggy conditions drop to sixty eight.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow's high eighty five. It'll be very humid, they're saying.
Speaker 1: Plus more scattered showers and storms, especially after noon, and then showers and storms overnight sixty nine to the low fall. Bye Yes, scattered showers and storms on Thursday with a high of eighty one seventy two. Now, let's go to traffic.
Speaker 5: Update from the u SEE Help Tramping Center. Right now, over one hundred thousand people are waiting and hoping for an organ transplant to save their life. Sign up to be an organ donor or explore living donation at uc heelp dot com. Transplant westbound two seventy five A slow go after Hamilton Avenue to an accident at Coal Rain. The right two lanes are blocked off because of that wreck. Traffic slowing down eastbound through that same area thanks to the accident. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty here fifty five KERCD talk station, Happy Tuesday, Brian Tolmas to bring Mcowan from the Hudson Instuit check out his podcast, Charged Conversation. He's an energy expert, you know, further to energy and further this, you know climate religion, and it is you got to think a leap of faith to think that our exhalation is killing the planet. And then you know, a volcano blows up and a belch is more carbon into the atmosphere than all of the removal that we have engaged in over the past twenty years. I mean, it's just a reality, and we're fighting an impossible battle. Know it's notably since we all breathe the same air, being in the same globe. China doesn't give a crap about the environment. They talk a little bit of talk about global warming or climate change, but keep building coal plant after coal plant. Why because it's in their best interest. And I believe thoroughly in my heart of hearts that China is one of the one perpetuating this global myth that you and I are responsible for changing the climate. Why because everything related to achieving zero emissions is made by the damn Chinese Communist Party. I mean, you can't deny that. And and I move over from that to looking at like what Ukraine was able to accomplish. I know they're losing that war, but the idea that they were able to smuggle drones into Russia and have them ready to launch, and Russia had no idea that Israel was able to move all kinds of weapons systems into the heart of Iran and launch them without the Iranians knowing about it. We are literally allowing that every single day in our country the kill switches on all the solar panels and all the electric equipment, relying on that it was built using Chinese manufactured components. You had mentioned off air, the shipping and the cranes, everything that operates in our ports is was built by the Chinese.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very true. And you know this is not by accident. They're very methodical. They've thought through this very carefully.
Speaker 1: Kind of like the massad in Israel thinking very carefully in advance about launching an attack on Iran.
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah, well, hey how about that. And let's not forget I'm waiting for this too. I'm waiting for people to put two and two together. You talked about Ukraine getting drones into Russia.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: The Mussad getting drones into Iran. Why do you think the Chinese are buying up farm land next to you.
Speaker 1: I've made that parallel in the Morning Show in the past. You're right exactly. I'm sure they have big you know, barns and warehouses and things where you can stalk away. You know, you hell, you can order a drone on Amazon. Had that thing rigged up with an explosive device they can get their hands on C four You know, absolutely. It's not that it's not beyond the room. It almost seems like it's just a matter of like when when is it going to happen? You know, when the lights go off Brigham, when big power shut down happens, that's the day you know that Taiwan's getting invaded or we are.
Speaker 3: Well and you know the good news is Admiral Paparo, who is the Indo Paycom commander responsible for everything from Pearl Harbor to Asia F eighteen pilot naval aviator.
Speaker 4: He's a pretty smart guy and.
Speaker 3: He's on it, on it in what sense he's changing our strategies up. He is building airfields so that we can start dispersing forces to keep the Chinese guessing he's increasing our materials, missiles, fuel stock, deterrence. Deterrence is back in fashion because it works. Well, yeah, it's worked in terms of keeping nuclear war at day for well since the World War two. And we'll be reversing our decision to relocate the Marines out of Okinawa to Guam.
Speaker 4: Not going to do that anymore. They're going to stay there.
Speaker 2: Well, that's welcome, welcome by the Japanese population.
Speaker 3: Is actually it's welcome by They've had a change in governments and they realize that China is a significant threat as they as the Chinese continue to push outward from China into what we call the first island chain to the second island chain.
Speaker 1: Well, they've been doing that for years in the South China Sea. How they've been building their own islands they have for peaceful purposes, Oh yeah, right, yeah, nothing like an airstrip that's designed obviously for massive sized military aircraft. No, no, no, no, nothing, this is just for seven thirty sevens or something.
Speaker 4: Well, and they've militarized them.
Speaker 3: And so I think the United States again was naive and taking you know, Brian, I don't know. We're in Midwestern as we take people at face value. If you tell me something, I'm going to believe it. But you can't do that with people that don't share the same values, or the same legal system, or the same ethos that Americans do.
Speaker 4: We're a little naive.
Speaker 1: We are very naive. We train and educate their people. Yeah, we allow them access to our technology. I mean in a world with the Internet alone, you can easily steal something. You know, the days of having to do a drop in the park, you know when the Soviet Union was around, I mean those days are over. You don't have to go copy documents and papers. I'm saying something that's so obvious, but you know that's going on every day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right here in Cincinnati, we've had a Chinese national arrested trying to leave the country with aircraft engine secrets from one of our local manufacturers.
Speaker 1: Geez more with bring him a Gown, Funning game seven thirty five, coming up to fifty five Kcity Talk station. Hey, if you're living with pain, you know, arthritis type pain, he knee pain, hip pain, back pain, you're exhausted. I understand that. I don't struggle with that, but I certainly understand it. I remember my dad having all that problem. He could not wait to get surgery, but he didn't have the option of QC kinetics to find out if that would have been a good treatment for him and his pain issues.
Speaker 2: But you do.
Speaker 1: QC kinetics here in Cincinnati. They've held tens of thousands of people nationally get the pain relief that they're looking for without steroids, medication, without surgery, using your body's natural healing properties, regenerative treatments at cellular level. They concentrate these and they put it right where the problem is and it helps restore the damaged tissue. So are you a good candidate for QC kinetics? How would I know? That's why I'm saying, Hey, take them up on the free consultation. Free consultation. I love that word, you know, So give them a call. QC Kinetics five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine. Five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine. One more time five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine.
Speaker 3: This is fifty five KRC an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 4: Do it.
Speaker 2: Chatta and I one to forecasts. That's a rain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll start with today scattered showers of storms. Best chance begins after two pm today seventy nine for the high sixty eight overnight. We're gonna have more scattered showers of stores tomorrow. Best chance begins at new un and very humid day as well. They're saying eighty five for the high overnight. Showers of sorts will continue to drop to sixty nine and high eighty one on Thursday with more scattered showers and thunderstorms. Seventy two degrees. Right now, it's type for traffic from the u.
Speaker 2: See how Traffic center.
Speaker 5: Right now, over one hundred thousand people are waiting and hoping for an organ transplant to save their life. Sign up to be an organ donor or explore living donation at u se how dot com slash transplant. What'sbound two seventy five A slow go after Hamilton Avenue to an accident at col Rain. The right two lanes are blocked off because of that wreck. Traffic slowing down eastbound through that same area thanks to the accident. Shot ingram on fifty five KRC, the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven fifty five KR City Talkstation Hudson dot orgs where you find Briga, mcckawan and the Hudson Institute, and in the studio right here is where you find today we're talking energy policy brought more broadly speaking, Charged Cover Stations is his podcast. Strongly recommend that you take a listen to that one. Find out where you find your podcast. Pivoting over the EU. I mean, I always like the energy policy. It's like a cautionary tale, you know. And in California is another cautionary tale. They spend outrageous amounts, they shut they over regulate refining facilities at the point where they just leave. It's like anybody else, if you have the means to leave, you leave. And the population of California is only maintaining some you know, connection with balance because of the illegal immigrant population coming in there. There's lots of statistics on that one. For all the Americans that leave with their money and go elsewhere where the taxes are lower and the energy prices aren't so high, it's just replaced by illegal immigrants. So whether or not that actually stands true, but they have regulated themselves into a painful situation. And if you look at the European Union, it's a great illustration of what's going to happen if you pursue blindly wind and solar as your sole mechanism of energy generation. It does not work on a regular, reliable basis.
Speaker 4: It doesn't, you know.
Speaker 3: And that's one of the things we talk about in the United States. For a number of years, we went from the builders, the doers make it happen to oh, my gosh, we have to start regulating stuff. We have to start taxing stuff, because people that don't understand innovation, people that don't understand business or the economy, it scares them. And for many, many years, the EU, especially with the growth in Brussels and taking nationalism away from the individual studies, has all about control and regulations are controls. So the European Union has long positions itself as a global regulatory superpower. But what they don't get is the more you regulate, the more you kill innovation, the more you kill business. Prosperity has jobs, there's no money.
Speaker 1: See Germany, Yes, econtally powerhouse, one of the economic powerhouses of the world. And they have, you know, gotten to the point where electricity is what four times the price of what we'd regularly pay here or more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has really taken a turn for the worse. Now with the recent elections there, the Greens have been kicked out. They were pulling at eight percent, and so there's been a realization then well, you know what, maybe we need some more electricity. But the damage has been done. The de industrialization of Germany has occurred. You can't build things in Germany any longer. It's too expensive.
Speaker 2: Well, and they've all gone evy.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're basically the substitute for California. Now the California's waiver has been taken away and they can no longer dominate the direction of what we choose to do by way of transportation. And I know hybrids are a big thing, but how California didn't want hybrids either. They wanted zero internal by engines. So but the European Union is still going in that direction. I mean, Porsche is not even going to make eternal combustion engines anymore among other manufacturers, and that's like, that just seems crazy to me. It's what their country or company was built on, what they're known for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is crazy.
Speaker 3: And again, if we're not careful, China will take that away from everybody, because you know.
Speaker 2: They do it with slave labor.
Speaker 1: They do everything cheaper and quite often, from my understanding, their evs actually are pretty amazing things.
Speaker 3: They are pretty good, you know, but it's not a fair comparison, right, because everything from China is government subsidized. There is no such thing as pre market, free market economy or a private company. And I was thinking about this during the earlier wouldn't you rather build things in the West, in Germany, in the United States, where we actually do have an EPA, we do actually have OSHA, we do actually have laws and regulations that make sure it's going to be produced safely, cleanly and efficiently.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: And that's the badcraping thing about the European Union because when the lights go off because the wind ain't blowing in the sun ain't shining. Uh, they're getting their their natural gas powered plants and getting that from from Russia. Yeah, Russia, who also does not have environmental regulations and rules. And it's it's it's it's not as clean a fuel to burn as what we have here.
Speaker 4: Not at all.
Speaker 3: But you know, Brian, what's really troubling to me is this this notion of bureaucrats and technocrats that you can regulate everything to death. And uh, you know, they started this out with their privacy laws and know as a GDPR. If you do business in Europe. You know what the GDPR is. They're now pursuing it with AI. Guess what they're not going to have AI. And now they're positioning themselves as leaders on climate regulation, meaning if you import anything to Europe, you're going to have to tell them your carbon score.
Speaker 1: See that's again going back to the California having an impact on the rest of the United States. If you want to do business in the European Union, they're going to have some measure control over you. So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, don't do business with them. Then you know, I'm sorry, we're not going to abide.
Speaker 3: Well, it may be hard to get stuff there. But it's called the CORB, the Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism, and it's also a terriff.
Speaker 1: Let's be honest, sounds like it to me one more with Briger McCallan. It's seven forty six to fifty five krcity talk station and an opportunity for you to say thousands and thousands of dollars because let's face it, at some point in our live everybody's going to need one or more of the following I go cardiogram's MRI, CD scan ultrasounds. Uh, just got one myself last week, an ultrasound. Of course i'd seet scan rather, and of course I went to Affordable Imaging Services so I didn't have to pay thirty or five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: At the hospital to get it done.
Speaker 1: No a CT scan at Affordable Imaging four hundred and fifty bucks without a contrast six hundred with the contrast an amazing, amazing amount of savings there. Each one of the scans comes with a board certified radiologists report that you and your doc will both get within forty eight hours. Don't pay thirty five hundred dollars for that co cardiogram and have to stand around for about three weeks to a month to get in. Affordable Imaging Services will do that echo cardiogram for five hundred bucks without an enhancement eight hundred with and.
Speaker 2: To get you right in.
Speaker 1: Very low overhead, but same kind of equipment hospitals are using, so save heaps of money. Customer service there is very nice. Those are very very nice people at Affordable Imaging five one three seven five three eight thousand, five one three seven five three eight thousand check them out online Affordable Medimaging dot Com.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC the talk station. Here's your Channa nine weather forecast.
Speaker 1: A lot of rain today, scattered showers of storms on and off, the best chances of those showing up after two pm, although we did have them this morning. Seventy nine for the high opennight low sixty eight.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: It'll be a high of eighty five and very humid tomorrow with scattered showers and storms mostly kicking in afternoon. Showers and storms will continue overnight sixty nine for a low and again yes, scattered showers and store on Thursday with a high of eighty one seventy two.
Speaker 2: Right now, it's going to traffic update Chuck from the.
Speaker 4: UCUT Traffic Center.
Speaker 5: Right now, over one hundred thousand people are waiting and hoping for an organ transplant to save their life. Sign up to be an organ donor or explore living donation at u S Health dot com. Slaves Transplant Cruce continue to work with the rec quest Spend two seventy five at Coal Ring, but there is no longer a delay to get by Eastpound seventy four.
Speaker 4: A couple of problems.
Speaker 5: There's a broken down left shoulder before you get the seventy five and then a wreck on the right shoulder southbound seventy five, Ram chucking Ram Month fifty five krc the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven fifty here for the five KRCD talk station Bron Thomas with bringing McAllen from the Hudson Institute, solving all the energy problems in the world, engaging in the thought process, involving common sense, logic and reason, and pointing out the failures of all this green stuff. Pivoting back to the state of California and going back to the refinery closures, I mean, the refineries just like we've had it up to our eyeballs. We're done and we can't afford to operate in the state. You've taken away our profit margins and also suing us, suing us for our climate change and our responsibility for climate change, which to me is the dumbest, dumbest thing. This isn't like the refineries were sitting on a bunch of inside information that their product was causing the temperature fluctuation in the world. They've been at this extraction of oil since what the eighteen hundreds, I mean, prior to that, it was whale oil to keep your lamp slit. And then someone figured out kerosene, and then someone figured out gasoline, and you know, and cities were built on the use of these things. Now there was an INTERIMPERIODID call too, but I mean the world lives on it. Plastics are made with it. If you pulled the plug on all things petroleum right now, the world would come to a screeching halt.
Speaker 3: The world would come to a screeching halt. And before that, we deforested every tree Ohio, practically right, people still use dong. Yes, they burned dong for for heat and for cooking.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I went to the uh FC Cincinnati Stadium or the t QL Stadium, I guess, as I should call it, to watch uh a German match between the Germans and uh the New Zealanders. Great match. By the way, uh FC Munchin just destroyed and byron it was ten to nothing, I think. But there was there was a there was a guy standing in the concourse with a sign. There were there were a couple of position I said FIFA Climate Awareness and I watched this. I actually took a video. I sat there for a couple of minutes. Not a single person there were like just throngs of people going back and forth. I think the guy was like, oh, okay, here's our you know PC. Afterthought, nobody approached them, nobody talked to them. And I'm looking up at his plastic sign, going, guys, really and he's got a plastic vestiva and it's just Chris And look, we all want to be good stewards of the environment. We're not saying that right, but we're saying we have to live. And if we went back to pre industrial Revolution, you know, times weren't so good, the good old days, they weren't so great.
Speaker 2: No, they weren't.
Speaker 1: And then what will we go back to Lindsey Woolsey handmade shirts and I guess clogs.
Speaker 2: Oh I do, Like, wouldn't shoes that'd be great? Wouldn't teeth too wooden teeth? Exactly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, But you're right on the California refinery closures. They're witnessing a way of refinery closures for the reasons that you stated, yet they still, you know, use gasoline, to the point where Gavin Newsom, the governor, is now pleading with Phillip sixty six and Valero not to close two refineries because it's twenty percent of fuel, and gas prices are going to be at least another.
Speaker 1: Buck and they're already like four fifty on average out there, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Their five something today?
Speaker 2: So you'd be looking at six plus bucks a gallon?
Speaker 4: Yeah for regular stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know at some point that the citizenry is just going to explode.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you know, there's a if you live in the city and don't have a car, and we probably both.
Speaker 2: Know exactly what the global warming folks want.
Speaker 3: But you know, for the rest of us that have to drive to work, that have to drive to multiple jobs, that can't afford to live in the city, so you're commuting in and you better not take the subway. You might get lit up. Literally, you drive, it's the only way to get to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, complicated, it is, but again it's something that they have done to themselves. Everything out there is so much more expensive to do. And I mean, look what happened with COVID. Once people realize that they they were given a green light to work from home. I mean, it's one of the gifts that COVID nineteen gave us. Wait a minute, you mean I don't have to commute anymore. My wife's been in joined that since since it all came to pass. She had a forty five minute commute, and now she's been in her office basement, you know, for the last several years. Absolutely loves it. We don't have to spend nearly as much on gasoline. She doesn't have a laundry bill, or rather a dry cleaning bill anymore. You know, feel sorry for the dry cleaners who went out of business as a consequence of that, But you know, we live, thrive and survive, roll with the punches, and then when people find out they can leave and still work at the same office, they leave, and then in California's case, the entire state. Yeah, there's better places to live out in the world. It has been a fun and broad ranging topic of conversation. Brigham account from the Hudson Institute Folks Get Charged Conversations the podcast search for It.
Speaker 2: You'd be glad you did. Always interesting and informative. Bring them.
Speaker 1: I look forward to having you back in. I know you've got some trips and meetings scheduled. We'll get an update from you when you come back. I'm looking forward to it. Brian, Thank you, I am too. Seven to fifty five coming up in seven fifty six. Sadly no Bright Bart Insights Scoop today and not quite sure what happened to them Today.
Speaker 2: Daniel Davis deep.
Speaker 1: Die will be talking about Russia, Ukraine, and of course you're on an Israel that'll take place at ay thirty. But in the meantime consider calling in. Got a little while to talk after the news at the top of the hour.
Speaker 3: Every day we discover something new and important.
Speaker 1: Today's top stories on fifty five KRC, the talk station