Speaker 1: Suspense, which is usually heard at this hour on Thursday nights, is taking its customary summer holiday. Suspense returns to the air three weeks from tonight on Thursday September.
Speaker 2: First, you are with three men in a jungle plantation on the rubber coast of Borneo. You know that one of the men is a desperate criminal whom you've come to arrest, but you.
Speaker 3: Don't know which one.
Speaker 2: You have to find him before he can save himself by killing you.
Speaker 1: We offer you escape designed to free you from the four walls of today, for a half hour of high adventure. We escaped to a Borneo jungle in a tantalizing search for a murderer.
Speaker 4: As L. G.
Speaker 1: Blackman told it in his famous story Red Wine.
Speaker 5: As the rusty little tramp trater bummed against the rickety wharf, I dropped from the rail under the planking, and for the first time felt the humid heat roll out of the jungle like steam from the back door of a Turkish van. I'd come a long way. Six days before, I'd stepped off a float in San Francisco Bay, climbed to board a Panamaican.
Speaker 4: Clipper headed to the South Pacific.
Speaker 5: Two days later, I'd boarded the mailboard in Batavia, and now Tanjung Sama sweldering and half forgotten last out post in the rubber coast of Borneo. Here's a long journey, but here what now might be end of it? I had come to arrest a murderer. I crossed the beach and walked up the path of crushed shells leading to a low bungle. At the edge of the jungle, the freighter would lie at the wharf for four hours, plenty of time for me to get the thing over with and be back aboard. When she said, I was expecting danger, of course, but no real trouble.
Speaker 4: I'd done jobs like this before.
Speaker 5: So I stepped confidently up on the porch and met Hair Kirt, Controller of the tan Yang Semar District.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, I am in a court, the Controller. What is it I can do for you?
Speaker 5: I have a letter of introduction here from the Governor General, and here here you are.
Speaker 6: Hmm, yeah, yeah, mister Paul Vanier from the United States.
Speaker 4: The governor promised me a cooperation.
Speaker 6: So I see cooperation. That's good, But he doesn't say cooperation.
Speaker 4: In what I come here after a killer?
Speaker 6: Mister Kirk oh, DIACs maybe had hunters.
Speaker 5: No, no, this was a civilized killer, an American one in San Francisco for murdering his wife.
Speaker 4: His name is Jerome Steeks.
Speaker 6: Oh, I see. Won't you sit down, mister Vanier?
Speaker 4: Hey, thank you?
Speaker 6: Won't game bar Coffeymata?
Speaker 5: I bring that weight.
Speaker 6: We will have coffee in a moment.
Speaker 5: Nice of you, But maybe i'd better pick this guy up first. I'd hate to miss the boat and have to lay over five days.
Speaker 6: You are acquainted with his steaks, mister venir.
Speaker 4: No, I've never seen it, but you do have photographs?
Speaker 5: No, I'm afraid not. This was a very clever killer. He apparently took great pains to see that. He was never a photographed He carefully eliminated all fingerprints as well.
Speaker 4: What are you driving at, mister Kirk? We simply this.
Speaker 6: There is no one in my district by the name of Steaks.
Speaker 5: Oh no, of course not. He wasn't using his own name. There is an American here, though, isn't.
Speaker 6: There three of them? Mister Vanier employed as foreman on the cot of Rubber Plantation.
Speaker 5: According to my information, Steaks came here from Batavia about six months ago.
Speaker 6: We all arrived six months ago on the same boat. The Cotter Company is just going back into operation.
Speaker 5: I see well, according to people who've seen him, your own mistakes as a man about thirty five years old, at medium height and slight build, pale complexion, with black hair and mustache.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 6: Any one of these men might fit the description, except that all are clean shaven and heavily turned from tropical sun with amore. Mister Vania. All three of the men have light blonde hair.
Speaker 2: A copy shure that is seen it to Amasa.
Speaker 6: They're good poor two cups one I'll have, won't bring you baggage up from the wharf, mister Vania.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you one.
Speaker 6: It appears your business may take a little longer than four hours.
Speaker 5: I'm certain of the information I got in Batavia. I know the man's here.
Speaker 6: Then the problem resolves itself into a matter of identification body. Picky's a car on nine hour's talk with the three of them?
Speaker 4: Are to do that?
Speaker 6: I doubted, mister Vanier. The swamps here at Tanjong Samara are infested with fever. It's always hot like now, and the jungle's back there swarm with long tailed true snakes and deadly cobras in the rivers, crocodiles, So men rarely come here unless they are running away from something, trying to lose that past. I think you'll find all three men have manufactured stories. So how is one to choose?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: I am moreover, according to this letter, I'm authorized by the governor to assist you in arresting and extraditing your own stiks one man, not.
Speaker 4: Three, hmm, So it's up to me.
Speaker 6: Hum, oh, do not misunderstand me, mister Vanier. I will co operate with you in every way, but I think it will be a very hard thing to identify this man you have never seen when he doesn't wish to be identified.
Speaker 4: I un'no.
Speaker 5: Sometimes easier to identify a man from his personality than from physical appearance.
Speaker 6: And the personality of this man, Steaks is something out of the ordinary.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for a foreman on a rubber plantation. Yes, I doubt if all three of these men can be aristocrats. And in a sense that's what Steaks is. A cosmopolitan lived all over the world, always associating with top society. He's a lover of fine foods and wine. Speaks French and German fluently, he's a gourmet bon vivant, a man of perfect taste and clothes and manners.
Speaker 6: And the murderer, Yes, and the murder. When the three men return from the clearing of this evening, I shall be happy to introduce you to them, though it's quite probable they are aware of your identity already. What do you mean, jungle Grapevine? Before you stepped off the wharf, my houseboard told me that you were a detective. Undoubtedly the same information has reached the clearings by now.
Speaker 4: I see so.
Speaker 5: In other words, the murderer probably knows who I am and what I'm here for, but I haven't the slightest dadea who here is?
Speaker 4: Huh exactly?
Speaker 6: It's quite an interesting thought, isn't it. More coffee, mister Vanier, Mister Vanier, I would like you to meet mister Durran. Hi, mister, and this is mister Wilmo Day.
Speaker 4: Pleasure, mister Vanier.
Speaker 3: I'll save you the trouble, Kurt. My name's Praille, Glad to meet you.
Speaker 4: Same here, mister Preyn.
Speaker 3: You might as well drop that, mister. We don't use it much around here. I'm praying that's Duran and Wilmerding and you're Vernier. If it's all the same to you, sure, sure, prayer?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 6: Now, if you gentlemen will excuse me, I have a number of things to do. Bring mister Veneer to my bungalow for dinner. We'll celebrate having a guest at time.
Speaker 4: John Summer, Sure I will see you. Hell uh here Kurt tells me all three of you are American.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know whether I'm still one or not. Haven't been to the stage in seven years?
Speaker 4: Seven years? Huh? Then you're an old timer here, Durant.
Speaker 7: Not here Australian.
Speaker 4: Oh, don't let the rank get started in here.
Speaker 8: I'll spend two hours telling you how he lost his shirt trying to raise sheet down on them.
Speaker 7: Well, if I had either money or sense, I wouldn't have come to this thinking.
Speaker 5: Oh, I wouldn't say you fellas had it too rough. I've been noticing those empty bottles there in the show.
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: Well? Heah, Piper Hidaac nineteen thirty six. That's good. Champagne boys are living like gourmets kind of sers.
Speaker 8: Oh, you're overwriting us from here. Those empty bottles were already here when he came, just never got around to throwing them out.
Speaker 7: Pril here's the only kind of sert in a bunch. He can tell you anything you want to know about wine, yeah, or about anything.
Speaker 3: Dry up just because the guy happens to know a little more than somebody else, has no reason to keep riding them all the time.
Speaker 7: I wish you knew some way to make ice. I'm getting plenty fed up with warm beard day in day out.
Speaker 5: Yes, that would get pretty tiresome. I think I'd switch to Champa, Danner, Shabli or something. Hmm, come again, well, woman thing. I didn't necessarily mean those in particular, but there are quite a number of wines that are even better warm than they are chilled.
Speaker 7: Uh in the wrong place, charm. We wouldn't know what to do with him if we had him. This is strictly a beer and gin crown.
Speaker 4: Been all kick on that.
Speaker 8: If we had some ice to go with it, Oh what I wouldn't give for a cold frosted or relax?
Speaker 3: Will you make me thirsty? What do you say to some music?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Music? There's one of you play some instrument? Sure?
Speaker 7: Sure, prayer he's terrific on that phone graph over there in the corner. Only trouble is he thinks three o'clock in the morning is the greatest song ever written.
Speaker 5: Well, I can see that leading quite an argument, Duran, particularly if you're a lover of the classics.
Speaker 7: Oh no, no, no, no no, I don't go for that long hair stuff. But I would like to hear a fast number once in a while. It's less than ten years old.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you ought to see that collection Prail dragged up here from Batavia, strictly from the gay nineties.
Speaker 4: Prail, you don't buy any chance?
Speaker 5: Have a number called ilia omitreer Donson.
Speaker 4: What's that some Italian opera? No, no, it's French.
Speaker 7: Approximately, Well, come on, pray ill translate it for us. You claim to be an expert on the French line.
Speaker 3: Well, it's worded kind of funny. It's like poet. Oh sure, sure that last word though, that may is on that that means house. I know that.
Speaker 4: That's too bad.
Speaker 5: I thought maybe Jerome steaks mine translated huh it refers to.
Speaker 4: Him, of course, seeks What are you talking about? Sentence reads there's a murderer in this house.
Speaker 7: Well, so you're finally coming out in the open.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we heard you were a detective.
Speaker 5: That's right, So what about it, Steaks? You want to give up now or try to go on.
Speaker 4: With your act?
Speaker 3: Wait a second, Verniere, I get it now. You're after some killer you've never seen named Steaks, and you figure one of us?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 4: Huh? That's right, Prail.
Speaker 3: Then the guy you're after is Wilmerdinge.
Speaker 4: Are you crazy?
Speaker 3: Whoever heard anybody with a name like Wilmerding unless they made it up?
Speaker 5: Made up nothing.
Speaker 4: I got a passport to prove it. What are you trying to do, Praille. Turn attention away from yourself.
Speaker 3: I got nothing to hide. It's either you or Duran what listen?
Speaker 4: You can leave me out of this right now.
Speaker 7: There's plenty of people in Australia can tell you who I am.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, though, there's nobody in tan Young Samar who can tell me for certain who any of you are.
Speaker 4: One of you is a murderer.
Speaker 5: By the time the boat gets back here, since I'm obviously not going to be able to leave with her when the sales.
Speaker 4: An hour, I'll know which one.
Speaker 5: Either I'm going to take Jerome Steaks back to San Francisco with me, or I'm going to kill him trying to you can count on it. Well, what do you say we go on over to kurts Bungalow and have dinner.
Speaker 6: That's Wilmerding's room there. Duran sleeps here and pray long down at the end. Yes, this is the guest room, at least the only guest room that's usable.
Speaker 4: At the present.
Speaker 6: It looks all right, Well, it's use for the time you're here, mister Vania.
Speaker 4: Do all of these rooms open out under the porch?
Speaker 6: Yes, ivan, as we call it.
Speaker 4: And there's no way to lock this.
Speaker 6: Story unfortunately no. And anyway, the windows are covered only by mosquito netting. It makes another interesting situation, does it not?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I suppose interesting is the word for it.
Speaker 6: I you sure, mister Vanier, that you have not been able to identify your man by his personality.
Speaker 4: Now, whichever one his stakes is putting on an awfully good act.
Speaker 6: Most likely they're all acting to work greater or lesser extent, which of course makes you problem exceedingly difficult.
Speaker 5: That's right, mister kit You did say a man rarely came here unless he wanted to lose his past, and yet you're here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that is true. But then I am only a servant of the government and have little choice where I am said, well, good night, mister Vanier.
Speaker 5: I sat there in the lamp light for a long time after Kit left, trying to figure things out.
Speaker 4: I'm getting nowhere.
Speaker 5: Gradually, the night breeze brought the smell of the jungle into the room, rich, exotic, fragrant as of midnight orchid, as disturbing as the scent of danger. Or maybe maybe it was danger itself I was smelling. The heavy knife missed my throat by two inches, cut it into a bamboo perdition, and stuck their quivering. I dropped down on the floor and slid my thirty head out of its holster. I could hear nothing but the rustle of palm patch along the eaves, low creeks from the palace uneath the bungalow, and the soft night sounds.
Speaker 4: From the jungle.
Speaker 5: Finally, I slipped my shoes off, pulled the knife out of the wall and dropped in my pocket, moved to the door, and stepped quietly out into the verandah.
Speaker 4: It was empty.
Speaker 5: Across the railing. The fringe of undergrowth was dappled in silver moonlight, and nothing moved. I paused quickly at the three doors, and from each heard the sound of storing. One of the men was faking, but which one. I reached the end of the porch when my eye caught a slight movement in the banana clump a few yards and the steps.
Speaker 4: Someone was hiding there.
Speaker 5: I moved swiftly, holding the gun ready, and came within a few feet before I could make out of shape and red and white so wrong and shape was right, complete with dark tumbled curls and a flower behind one ear.
Speaker 4: It was a girl.
Speaker 9: Please to one the gun. You're going to shoot me?
Speaker 4: No? No, no, relax, sonny, I was looking for somebody else.
Speaker 9: No, you have fun in Lana.
Speaker 4: So you are disappointed, Ah, pleasantly surprised. Milana.
Speaker 9: Huh in your language it means flower of love.
Speaker 4: It's a perfect fit. Are you blooming out here all along?
Speaker 9: I do not understand one.
Speaker 5: I mean, did you see anybody moving around up there on the brand a while ago?
Speaker 9: Only you to one? I became frightened, and then to hide.
Speaker 4: Frightened.
Speaker 9: Why I should be here at night? I mean, I let us talk of something.
Speaker 4: Here, the moon, for instance, Oh.
Speaker 9: Yes, look is it not big and soft and warm?
Speaker 4: Duane?
Speaker 9: You like Milana?
Speaker 4: Perhaps definitely?
Speaker 9: Why do we not go somewhere else? The lonely beach perhaps would like that?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: I afray, mister Vaniar is too serious minded for such things.
Speaker 4: Nlana, Well, mister kat enjoyments, won't you?
Speaker 6: Thank you? Nelana go to the bungalow at once she's been near a coy immediately she has no business being out alone at night. But mister Vanier, is something wrong with your room? Is it not comforting?
Speaker 4: It was until this flew in through the window.
Speaker 6: A knife?
Speaker 4: Yeah, throwing knife? Do you ever see it before?
Speaker 6: Oh? Yeah, yeah? It is one of the collection there on the bungalow. The three Americans throw them at targets every evening and wager on the results. I believe mister Durant taught the other two.
Speaker 4: Hey, what about you, mister Kit Do you ever bet with him?
Speaker 6: It would be too easy? Watch. I learned to throw a knife a job many years ago.
Speaker 5: And uh, Milana, I suppose she's an expert at it too.
Speaker 6: Nlana knows nothing of knives. Her greatest accomplishment is that of making friends too easily.
Speaker 4: I see just who she is. She anyway, Does she live here?
Speaker 6: Yeah, she lives here. She is my wife, Ye wife, exactly, my wife. Good night, mister Vane.
Speaker 4: I stood there in the moonlight and watched him walk toward his bungalow. HM.
Speaker 5: My simple task was fast becoming involved. When I finally turned in that night, I un dressed in the dark, pushed the veloup to block the door, and propped a chair against the window sill and lay down on the floor. I kept trying to fit some theory together to account for the things that had happened. When I drifted off to sleep, I was no nearer any answer than before.
Speaker 4: I woke up with the.
Speaker 5: First light of dawn, and for a full minute was ready to predict a peaceful day.
Speaker 4: And I turned my head slightly and saw it.
Speaker 5: On the floor against the wall, eighteen inches from my left hand, its eyes opening and unmoving, lay a long tail one of the deadliest snakes in Borneo. Cold sweat broke out of my forehead ran into the corners of my eyes. Not daring to make any sudden move, I slid my right hands slowly up behind me, found my gun under the pillow. The snake moved slightly, and I froze for.
Speaker 4: One long minute. Carefully, I brought the gun over until I had the ugly head centered above the foresight. Then I didn't turn in here?
Speaker 6: What's all the shooting of art?
Speaker 1: About a knight around?
Speaker 9: Is?
Speaker 6: Mister neo?
Speaker 3: Fire?
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 5: Duran? What was the annoyise?
Speaker 7: I guess when he's doing a little target practicing.
Speaker 5: Come on, guys, Yes a minute, Yes, a minute, I'll let you in, mister you all right, sure gut come in. I had an early morning visitor there on the floor, a long tail.
Speaker 6: Did he bite you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, I didn't.
Speaker 6: What the that was all the.
Speaker 7: Racket of Oh a snake?
Speaker 6: Eh, that's funny.
Speaker 4: What's funny, Duran? A long tail woman?
Speaker 5: Ding?
Speaker 4: I just killed one here in my room.
Speaker 3: And there's plenty of them around, But I never heard of one crawling into a room before.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure it did crawl in. Got an idea it may have been dropped in through the mosquito netting there at the window. Yeah, by whom, by a guy named Jerome Steaks.
Speaker 4: You ever hear of him? Duran? Ah?
Speaker 3: That again? Why don't you pick up Wilmerding? He's your man? Oh? Sure, I always.
Speaker 6: Carry a couple of snakes around in my pocket, just for luck.
Speaker 5: What I want to know is who carries this around in their pocket? For lucky?
Speaker 3: That's one of our eyes from the living room. We throw them at a target.
Speaker 4: I know only last night I was the target.
Speaker 7: Oh oh, then prails here boy. He's an ex but wins every time we played.
Speaker 3: Dry up to run one more crack like that.
Speaker 5: Okay, relax, nobody knows anything about these accidents. They just happened. Well, there's a warning to whichever one of you is Steeks. The next time, you better cover yourself and through being a clay pigeon. From now on, it's gonna be a lot tougher, a whole lot tougher. That day passed and the next and I got exactly nowhere. And the third day I managed to search the men's quarters and found nothing. Mainly, i'd hope to find some kind.
Speaker 4: Of a bleaching agent.
Speaker 5: Steaks was described as having black hair, while all three of these men were blonde. Furthermore, I was convinced, after three days of observation that all three were naturally blond. Things didn't fit, They didn't add up. I saw Milana several times, but I had no chance to speak to her. When hair Kurt was with me, she'd pass without a glance. But if I was alone, she'd manage a quick, provocative smile that sent shivers down my spine. By the fourth day, the tension among us was grown almost unbearable. Steamer was due the next evening on his return tip to Batavia. I needed a break of something. I had to have one, and it came at dusk when I dropped in my room to change for dinner.
Speaker 9: Close the door, quick to speak softly, he design, what the devil you're doing?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 9: You to one? Does that make you unhappy?
Speaker 4: But I doubt if Haircourt would think much of the idea.
Speaker 9: He must not find that. But I wish to ask you something. It is true that you look for a man who has killed a woman in your United State. Yea, yes, that's right, A man who not names himself by another name?
Speaker 4: Yes, Nellana.
Speaker 9: Do you know it is perhaps the same one who one night throw a knife at you?
Speaker 4: Hey, yes, I think so. You know who it is?
Speaker 9: I saw the knife thrown to when I was outside by the edge of the U.
Speaker 4: Is someone, Yeah, that's her Court.
Speaker 9: He's going in the living room I'm very frightened when I must go.
Speaker 4: Wait, I've got to know what you're going to do.
Speaker 9: There's no tinna to night when everyone sleeps weep, but the tall palmoty itche declaring, I will come.
Speaker 4: All right, I'll be there.
Speaker 9: Llana has done foolish things to me, but the night she will fix it. Awkward, you come.
Speaker 5: I waited for a long time in the shadow by the palm tree and watch the moonlight sift down through the shaggy fronds. But two hours passed and she didn't come. Waiting there though, in the jungle night, a plan began to form in my mind. Long shot, true enough, but one with possibilities. I needed luck to work, but I've come to the point where I had to count on a little luck at any rate. I decided to stunt the ball rolling the next morning after breakfast.
Speaker 3: Now wait a minute for Neil.
Speaker 6: Let's get this straight.
Speaker 5: I thought I put it straight enough, Duran, I said, the hunts off boat's doing tonight, and when it leaves, I go with it.
Speaker 4: You can relax. Oh what changed your mind?
Speaker 6: Our sweet disposition?
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly the opposite, wilmitting every one of you acts.
Speaker 4: Gilly is the next one.
Speaker 5: And yet in five days I haven't been able to find a single characteristic and inter of you that it's the description of Steaks. I don't think he's that good an actor. So I'm going back to Batavia pick up the trailway.
Speaker 7: Well, at least you've finally got some sense in your head and decided to believe what we told you the first day you were here.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, Duran, I didn't say that. I doubt very much if any of you guys is who he claims to be. I wouldn't be surprised if Duran, Wilmerding, and Prailer are all phony names.
Speaker 4: But that's not my business. Now.
Speaker 5: I came here after Steaks. I decided now I'm in a mistake, and that's that.
Speaker 3: Oh great, you come in here and pushes around for a week and then decided it was all a mistake.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, Pray, and I'm going to try to make up for it this evening. See, I'm throwing a dinner party at here Kurt's bungalow before the boat leaves tonight.
Speaker 4: You're all invited.
Speaker 6: Well, now, that's pretty decent of you.
Speaker 5: I'll get some food and drinks from the captain as soon as he docks. You're is fed up with ricetoppel and warm beer as I am, you'll be ready for a change.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then it's all settled, and I can promise you at least two surprise editions in mayby three if you care for it.
Speaker 4: Oh, Kurt, come in, Come in.
Speaker 6: I was wondering whether any of you had seen Alana this morning. Why what's wrong, Heckurt, I'm rather concerned about her, mister Vanier. She hasn't been home sinceuri last night.
Speaker 5: I had a couple of ideas about that myself, that is, I wish I didn't have. As soon as the rest of the bunch went about their business, I began my own search for Malama. It was nearly dusk before I found it, and then I said nothing about it anyone. But sitting at the table at night while the dinner party moved along, I kept thinking how she'd never smile again, how she'd never walk in the moonlight again because somebody had cut her throat.
Speaker 3: I know a story along the same line, but I never heard that one boy.
Speaker 7: After six months on right stuff, I could go crazy over food like this.
Speaker 3: When you throw on from.
Speaker 4: There, you really throw it. Save the credit. Boys, this is only the beginning beginning.
Speaker 3: Where can you go from here?
Speaker 4: Right now? For instance, rose bar all right, bring it over, bring it over right?
Speaker 5: No, no, I I wonder if you'd mind carving heckert.
Speaker 6: Not at all, miss of any I shall be happy to place it here.
Speaker 4: Wong boy, oh boy.
Speaker 7: I haven't had rose balls since Australia.
Speaker 6: You know, we used to go pigsticking all the time.
Speaker 3: Even the smells enough to drive you crazy.
Speaker 5: Man, You said it prail. You haven't seen anything yet. The boys the main day, so the two surprises go right along with it? All right, one, bring it out already, I bring careful, don't drop it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks, Well there you are. What is it?
Speaker 3: Some kind of wine?
Speaker 4: Not some kind?
Speaker 5: Chambertown finished nineteen eleven, unquestionably one of the finest red wines that exists in.
Speaker 4: The world today.
Speaker 6: Holy smoke, when'd you're getting?
Speaker 4: I found out on the trip in the captain of the steamer had a few bottles. There's a lot of talking to get one out of him. But here I'll open it up. One, have you the glasses say a promise.
Speaker 5: It's already well, boys, you may go back to warm beer tomorrow. But you've got the best tonight, all right, one show him the second surprise?
Speaker 3: He is won't big fuck rereal, honisty gush cracked out.
Speaker 7: I haven't seen a chunk of ice for six months.
Speaker 5: I thought you go for that one, all right, Wong, serve the line. It was pretty amazing to find nineteen eleven cymbertan and a little tramp prayed on here in the.
Speaker 4: South Pacific is not so rare. It's hard to get at any price.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe so, But that ice is what gets me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it. Want done plenty in mind. I want to freeze my ti. Wong, stop that.
Speaker 4: What the tull are you doing?
Speaker 3: What's the matter with you?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 6: He's he's?
Speaker 4: I mean?
Speaker 5: I you mean you're well aware of the fact that ice kills the bouquet of Chambertin.
Speaker 4: Isn't that it steaks? Steaks? Mean?
Speaker 3: Woman?
Speaker 5: Once a goome always are you a very clever woman thing clever enough to keep your hair dyed black for years so you could become a natural bland if you ever had to make a getaway. Clever enough to permit no photographs to be taken, but not clever enough to keep still and let me ruin a bottle of wine.
Speaker 4: Easy with those hands. Don't try riching for a gun.
Speaker 6: Let him reach for it, mister Vanier.
Speaker 4: Good, No, put down the knife.
Speaker 3: Then is gone for his gun.
Speaker 6: Good, I've wanted it.
Speaker 8: Good?
Speaker 6: Good Lord cut you've killed him. I'm sorry you do not have a prisoner to take back with you, mister Vanier. But I too found Nellana's body. I knew you had been there. I saw your footprints.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. Then, yes, she did.
Speaker 6: Milana had been seeing Wilmoday. I'd guessed it was one of the three, and apparently she found out he was sticks.
Speaker 4: I know that was what she was going to tell me. Only he didn't give her a chance.
Speaker 6: She was young, mister Vanier, foolish perhaps, but I I loved her very much.
Speaker 3: Look, he knocked over that bottle of wine when he fell. It's pouring out all over the place.
Speaker 7: Yeah, brother, what a mess.
Speaker 5: It's quite a mess. Only one thing, though not all of it, is red Wine.
Speaker 1: Escape was directed this week by Richard Sandville and Tonight Brought You Red Wine by L. G. Blackman, Adapted for radio by mort Lewis and Less Crutchfield, with Willard Waterman as Paul Vernier. Featured players were Robert Boone, Marion Richmond, Larry Dobkin, Vic Perrin, Wilms Herbert and Clark Gordon. Music is conducted by Wilbur Hatch.
Speaker 2: Next week you are standing in the doorway of the cabin and Cashier Creek up on the ridge, the bloodhounds of cart You are scent and between you and a fortune, between you and escape yon the white jars of a deadly snake, a cottonmouth moccasin.
Speaker 1: Next week we escape with Urban S. Cobb's ironic story Snake Doctor. Be with us next week at the same time, when once again we offer you escape. Tip Corning speaking. This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System.