Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI and kost EHD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy k.
Speaker 3: It is five o'clock.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Wednesday, September eighteenth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And whether you're listening on the app or you're listening on the radio, where you appreciate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we appreciate you being here with us this morning. Easy for me to say, right, Can I say it again? It's going to be that kind of day.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a fabulous day. How do I know? I feel it?
Speaker 1: Got my coffee, got my oatmeal. Being healthy. I wasn't healthy yesterday, but that's a whole other story. Hey, did you see the supermoon? If you haven't stepped outside this morning, you probably haven't. But it looks huge. I missed the partial eclipse. I don't even think it was dark during the partial eclipse last night. But the Harvest supermoon is shining over the skies of southern California.
Speaker 3: Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. Sean Ditty.
Speaker 1: Combs is going to be in court this afternoon to appeal a judge's denial of bail for the hip hop mogul Colmbs is facing sex trafficking and racketeering charges. He offered to post a fifty million dollar bond and where a GPS monitor. The judge said no. ABC's Derek Dennis is going to join wake Up Call with more on what's going on with Ditty before the top of the hour. Hundreds of handheld pagers have exploded almost simultaneously in Lebanon and Syria, killing at least nine twelve people, including members of the Hesbolag group and a young girl. Officials in Lebanon say three thousand were war owned. Yesterday. Hesba Laf blames the explosions on Israel. Israel isn't commenting. We're going to talk to Jordanah Miller in Jerusalem more about this in just a moment. Rain could be on the way for parts of the Southland. The National Weather Services there's a forty percent chance of light rain tomorrow in the San Fernando Valley, Santa Clarita and Ventura County skies. Will clear then, and temperatures are going to warm into the eighties nineties for the first day of fall on Sunday. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Rapper Diddy has been held without bond after pleading not guilty to federal sex trafficking and racketeering charges in New York. Aaron Katirski says, the rappers accusers claim he prayed on young women looking to make it in the industry, like.
Speaker 4: A mob boss at the top of what prosecutors called a criminal enterprise, to abuse, coerce and threaten women into freakofs as they were called these extended sexual performances.
Speaker 1: Diddy's say the rapper is looking forward to clearing his name. They say he is a self made entrepreneur, a loving family man, and proven philanthropist who uplifts the black community. A defense attorney in LA says Ditty's case has a lot of layers to it. Louse Shapiro tells k advised John Cobalt, the rappers lawyers will try to prove that Ditty's actions and relationships were consensual.
Speaker 2: These are not children. R Kelly.
Speaker 5: We dealt with miners, epstein or miners.
Speaker 1: These are not miners.
Speaker 5: These are adults that can make decisions that voluntarily went to meet with Didty.
Speaker 3: Shapiro says.
Speaker 1: Lawyers will also try to make the case that the women are out for the rapper's money and are trying to turn his world upside down.
Speaker 3: News brought to you by Ruder Hero.
Speaker 1: Homeowners in southern California want the state to get reasonably priced home insurance back on the market.
Speaker 6: The state is considering a deal with insurance companies that would bring policies back to wildfire areas while allowing steep rate hikes. Chatsworth resident Bruce Breslaw says his rate has gone way up in the current proposal is not a good deal.
Speaker 7: We need a law bringing these regulated insurers back into our marketplace for premiums that are reasonable.
Speaker 6: Breslau joined Consumer watch Dog outside La City Hall yesterday as State Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara hosted a virtual public forum inside in downtown La.
Speaker 2: Michael Monks KFI News, the.
Speaker 1: Home insurance isn't the only tough one car insurance. I just paid mine. It was up like twenty percent from the last six month insurance policy. The Federal Reserve is expected to issue its first rate cut since March of twenty twenty. ABC's Elizabeth Shulsey says, an interest rate cut, we'll make taking out a loan cheaper for businesses and consumers.
Speaker 8: What this really symbolizes is the beginning of a series of interest rate cuts. So over the next year two years, the fat is going to bring rates back down.
Speaker 1: The federal funds rate currently stands between five and a quarter and five and a half percent.
Speaker 3: Small You need somebody there.
Speaker 1: The singer and songwriter who co wrote hits like Best of My Love, New Kid in Town, and Smoke Gets in Your Eyes and also helped define the southern California Country Rocks in the mid nineteen seventies has died. JD. Souther was seventy eight years old, only lonely. It was a top ten hit for him in the seventies. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Geor Donna Miller in Jerusalem. George Donna, hundreds of pagers simultaneously exploded in Lebanon in Syria yesterday.
Speaker 3: It sounds like something out of a James Bond movie. So tell us what happened?
Speaker 7: Absolutely. It has just stunned Hasbola and the Lebanese people. Israel has not claimed this attack that potentially targeted the pagers of Husbala members and simultaneously sent a message that detonated these pagers, turning them into little bombs that you know, caused serious damage injuries to thousands of Elebenies and in some cases killed. Twelve are dead. Most of those are Husbala members supporters, but there are dozens of civilians that were injured and at least two children that were killed. Israel not claiming this attack, as we've said, but sources telling you DC News Israel was behind this strike. And one of the most fascinating parts of the story is when exactly with Israel able to implant these explodes, these explosives inside individual beepers, three more than three thousand of them that were then distributed to Hasbala fighters. It took a lot of obviously intel informants. It was a large operation in front mole um understands six months of.
Speaker 1: Planning, six months of planning, and it's three thousand pagers and so why do they have pagers and not phones? Right?
Speaker 7: That's an important point. Hasbolla at the beginning of this war, Hsbula's leader, Hasan no Thrala told his numbers of the of the Iranian backed militia to get rid of their cell phones because they are so vulnerable to really surveillance. Right, there's locators, they can try to hack the phones and get data and learn about Husbala's plans. And so a kind of alternative communications system just for the terror group was initiated, and it was through pagers, very rudimentary, right, only SMS, and it's in a closed network if you will, and you know, and and Israel somehow managed obviously to penetrate that system and find out the type of pages that were being used when there were going to be an updated version coming through, and they either were the front company that manufactured these beepers or they intercepted the supply chain and again somehow put in small amounts of very very potent explosives and then they detonated them. It appears through a message that was sent at the same time to all of these pagers.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like that the bombing in Tehran that took out that one the leader, the militant leader that it had been planned for such a long time, and it was like they were lying in wait, just waiting for the perfect moment to execute it.
Speaker 7: So you're speaking of the right, the explosion that killed if Mohania, thehead of Hamas. Yeah, in one of the one of the guest residences of the regime when you visiting. Absolutely, that was an operation that you know, again Israel has not claimed it, but we know that Israel was behind it, and they were able to find out that the explosive had been brought into that residence months before, but they were able to find out where exactly he was sleeping and apparently move it around and then detonate it remotely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing. So thank you so much, Jordanna for the information.
Speaker 7: You're welcome. I was just going to say that Hazbola has vowed to retaliate very strongly, and now in Israel we're again in a kind of waiting game to see what's next.
Speaker 1: And we will be watching. Thanks so much, Jordana, appreciate the information. Tuxton, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I would have talked to her longer, but she had a heart out I had many more questions for her, but she's very popular today because that is an amazing, crazy story, and like I said, we'll.
Speaker 3: Following it and we'll let you know what happens.
Speaker 1: Back to stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Southern California, Edison is cutting power to fifty homes in Rolling Hills by this evening as the ground continues to move.
Speaker 9: SEE had already cut service to two hundred forty homes and portions of Portuguese Bend, the Beach Club, and the Seaview Community. SEE spokesperson Gabriella Ornelli says the land movement is getting worse than threatening equipment.
Speaker 7: Southern California Edison has experienced a significant increase in the number of repairs needed to continue to safely provide power.
Speaker 9: Fifty homes in the Quelbridge community will lose power today by six pm. Thirty five homes in the same area had gas shut off Monday. Chris Adler KFFI News.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's get you an update on the fires.
Speaker 1: There's still burning, but the good news is firefighters are getting an upper hand on them now. They've held the spread and growth of the nearly twenty four thousand acre wildfire that started in Tribuco Canyon in Orange County and burned into Riverside County.
Speaker 3: It's not growing at this point.
Speaker 1: Temperatures are lower and that's helping the fires thirty one percent surrounded. Officials say down power lines are still dangerous for firefighters and the public since they can be re energized by generators and solar panels. The fire that's burned almost fifty five thousand acres in the Angelus National Forest is now thirty five percent surrounded. Some evacuation warnings were lifted yesterday and orders were downgraded to warnings in both the Right Wood and Mount Baldy communities. Firefighters say Cruise have also been making progress building lines to prevent the fire from getting into the community of Lytle Creek. Damage inspection teams have been working in the San Bernardino Mountains to find homes and other buildings damaged by the fire that started in Highland. So far, they've identified four buildings on different sides of the fire that were damaged.
Speaker 3: One was destroyed.
Speaker 1: Fire crews have also been dealing with drones flying into the fire area. They've asked people not to do that the fire has been burning since September fifth. The man acoust of starting the fire's been arrested. It's burned more than thirty nine thousand acres and is nearly fifty percent surrounded. Governor Newsom assigned a couple bills aimed at protecting actors and other performers from unauthorized use of their digital likenesses. The bills provide legal protections for performers during their lifetimes as well as after death and around the digital replication of their image or voice. We're making sure that no one turns over their name, image and likeness and unscrupulous people without representation. Newsom says, no one should have to worry about becoming someone else's unpaid digital puppet. So living artists aren't the only ones releasing concerts in theaters. Whitney Houston's concert in South Africa to celebrate President Nelson Mandela's election in nineteen ninety four, he is going to.
Speaker 3: Hit theaters October twenty third.
Speaker 1: The limited theatrical screening will feature the late singers never before released concert for a New South Africa in Dvan. This afternoon, The dotch Just take on the Marlins in Miami with the first pitch going out at three point forty. You can listen to every play of every game on AM five seventy LA Sports and stream all the games NHD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: The best casino in.
Speaker 1: The Southland is Marongo Casino Resort and SPA Good Times. The City of Norwalk is extending its emergency ordinance that bans homeless shelters and supportive housing facilities. The Norwalk City Council voted yesterday to extend the band to August of twenty twenty five. That is despite threats of a lawsuit from Governor Newsom. Santa Anna police locked down McFadden Institute of Technology after getting a report of an active shooter at the middle school. Students and teachers were released a couple hours later. After the lockdown was issued yesterday afternoon, no evidence of a shooter was found. The LAPD says several social media threats were made to schools around the county yesterday, and Burbank police also reported a social media threat to a school there. The singer and songwriter who co wrote hits like Best of My Love, New Kid in Town, and Smoke It's in your eyes and also helped define the southern California country rock sound of the mid seventies has died.
Speaker 3: JD.
Speaker 1: Salther was seventy eight at six oh five. It's handled on the news. Deal or no deal, fifty million dollars in exchange for bail. A judge said no deal. Let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on Tech on KFI. It's KTLA's tech reporter Rich Demiro.
Speaker 2: Morning Rich, Hey, good morning shoe Amy.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I just.
Speaker 1: Sent you this note last night late because I was hunting around for something that I'm looking for for a Christmas present, and I was like, is this the best price that I'm going to get? Because I'm doing my planning for shopping now even though Christmas was three months away, and I thought, wouldn't it be cool if there was a way that I could know when these things go on sale so you could buy them and you know, save a couple hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there is some places, Yes, well there's there's a couple.
Speaker 10: It's not as good as it used to be because you know, prices are so dynamic nowadays that it's tough to track them all. But the thing that I use, I like the most is called PayPal Honey drop List. So drop list is basically Honey is like a yead. It's your chrome or your browser. It's an extension and it helps you, you know, pops up and it tells you, hey, this price might be better or whatever saves you money. Puts coupon codes in there. But the Ney thing is you can anything that you add to your Amazon shopping list or anything from a variety of websites. It will track the prices on those items and it will alert you when they drop. And so I get one of these like emails every day because I have so many things in my Amazon save the list. But yeah, it's great, and so that's the one I use the most. Called again, it's called Honey, and it's called drop list. So when you install the extension, you have to like agree to this little drop list thing, but it's pretty good. The other one that's good if you're just tracking Amazon stuff is Camel Camel Camel. You can put a URL of an Amazon item in there and then you can say, you know, send me an alert when this price drops or if it price drops by one hundred dollars or ten percent or whatever. And then finally, the other one is Google Shopping. It's not as fully functional because a lot of this is like pay for play, it's like sponsored stuff, but you can you can find a lot of pricing information in there as well, and I like how they highlight stuff that's actually on sale and like various categories like with big discounts.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I think I think that's going to be good for a lot of wake up call listeners because again, we're going to be spending money and holidays are just around the corner. So talking to a friend yesterday and she said, holy, holy crap, it's almost October, so you know if they're going to be here before you know it, and maybe time to start looking at how you can save now.
Speaker 10: The other one, by the way, Yahoo's Shopping. They have a price tracker as well. I know Yahoo is a brand of Yesteryear, but they still do have some decent products, and the price tracker inside Yacht Who's Shopping is a decent way to do it as well. I don't personally use it, but I know that I've talked to experts shopping experts that do like it.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, you tried snapchats new augmented reality glasses is this kind of is this.
Speaker 3: It all like Apple Vision or or what is? What are these?
Speaker 2: Somewhat? So they made a lot of fun of Apple.
Speaker 10: Yesterday they had their uh, Snap had their big partner summit yesterday in Santa Monica, So it was there all day, and you know, it's where they brag a lot about how many people use Snapchat and how they're using it and all this stuff. But they knocked Apple a lot, which I find really interesting because I'm sure the iPhone user base is like their biggest in sall, so they got to be very careful here. But they made a lot of fun of the fact that Apple Vision pro is so big and bulky and expensive and it clouds out your world. Like their whole thing is, let's connect in the real world, right right. So these new snap spectacles, this is actually their fifth generation. They look like sunglasses but big and bulky, kind of like street glasses kind of, yeah, except even bigger and bulkier.
Speaker 2: So just imagine like with big like big side. It's big.
Speaker 10: Everything rims, everything is just big, the frames, but that's because there are tiny little screens inside the lenses and a battery and cameras, and so when you put these things on, you're actually seeing an augmented reality view of the world. And so you can overlay, like you look at your hands and the menu pops up, you can throw things, you can I mean, I did this really cool art installation yesterday where you know, you look at this world spinning in front of you, and then you kind of reach out and pinch and like push the asteroids away.
Speaker 2: I mean it was really really cool.
Speaker 10: Okay, but it's a very basic kind of technology right now, and it's not for everyone. It's just for developers to come up with apps. But it seems like it's got a lot of potential and you can see the world around you. I think that's what the big thing here is. Like I played basketball yesterday. Sadly I didn't make in any of my shots, which was really sad on camera, but but nobody did in my group, so I didn't feel so bad. But yeah, So the whole idea is that you can augment reality on top of your world.
Speaker 3: Okay, so are those available? Are they still always out?
Speaker 10: No, they're available now. Developers can get them ninety nine dollars a month. You have to minimum a year, so they're actually you're kind of like actually renting.
Speaker 3: Them so for a year.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so they really want people to come up with like applications for these so it's not really about like the average person just yet.
Speaker 2: Okaybe next year.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell us about the Instagram changes because it was a big thing yesterday when they announced, oh, teen accounts are being changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is actually quite a big deal.
Speaker 10: I think this is actually a great move by Instagram because you know, there's so many teens that are dealing with you know, anxiety, depression, sleep issues, low self esteem, cyberbullying, addiction to these apps, just general distraction if they're not addicted. But anyway, so starting yesterday, teens under sixteen, by default, their accounts will be private. They'll only be able to message folks or people that they follow. Instagram will limit sensitive content by default, so no videos of fights or cosmetic procedures. You can't be tagged by anyone unless they're your follower. AI will detect and hide like bullying comments, any harmful comments. You'll get a reminder to stop using the app after sixty minutes, and at night it will go into sleep mode from ten pm to seven am, so you don't get notifications and then parents have to approve changes. And I know what you're gonna ask, Amy, Well, can't kids just lie about their age? Instagram has a whole bunch of one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight ways that they are going to try to verify kids' ages, including using AI, so they're ahead of it.
Speaker 3: They know who we are.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, they know they're not They're not stupid. And believe me, kids have been lying about their age on Instagram forever. Instagram knew that. It's just they didn't care, and now they're caring more, which I do think is a good a good thing.
Speaker 3: So, Richie, here's my question about that.
Speaker 1: Did the didn't they do it on their own or did they do it preemptively because somebody's gonna stop some regulations on it?
Speaker 10: Well, you're talking about the US government, which you know, have we seen any major regulations against tech companies ever?
Speaker 2: Not really, So.
Speaker 10: This is probably preemptive because they don't want regulations from the government. But I think there's also a small movement of parents realizing that this stuff is not very good for their kids, and schools and teachers and so I think this is a good thing. I think TikTok is still the big issue out there.
Speaker 3: Well, and doubtfield that TikTok's going to do anything at this point.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then before we let you go, we know that we touched you last week because the new Apple product line came out, the iPhone sixteen, the Apple Watched ten, the AirPod four, And now you've had some time to play with them.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 10: Yeah, And I know we're run out of time, so I'll just tell you this. This is the year to upgrade. Apple has reached their stride. They have done a fantastic job with all of these products.
Speaker 2: It's their best yet.
Speaker 10: iPhone sixteen, sixteen plus pro models, AirPods four with noise cancelation, incredible. The Apple Watch is thinner, it's lighter. There's no blood oxygen monitoring, which is kind of a bummer, but there. It's just every every single product this year is improved in a way that is meaningful. And I think that if you upgrade, if you need to upgrade, or if you want to upgrade, it's going to be probably one of the best years in recent history.
Speaker 1: Which is interesting because I just saw something that like the orders and the pre orders for those products are actually down this year.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, I go by what people are asking me, and I'm getting a lot of interest in this stuff, and I think that you know, people, not everyone gets it the first day. You know, it's coming out Friday. Not everyone's going to be in line Friday, So pre order doesn't necessarily mean Plus, I think the fact that the AI stuff is not coming day of but once people start seeing their friends using the AI stuff and how that can be helpful, I think that's also going to push a lot of upgrades.
Speaker 1: Okay, awesome, Well we'll be watching and you know what, Christmas is coming up, and I need a new Apple Watch.
Speaker 10: This is a slow runway. The new Apple Watch ten is really this is a great year for it.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 10: I've been wearing it and it's actually the first time I've ever worn it to bed because it's so.
Speaker 2: Thin and light, it's you don't really.
Speaker 3: Feel it, and the battery lasts longer.
Speaker 10: Right, they're not saying that, but yeah, supposedly supposedly.
Speaker 3: All right, rich Tamira, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You can listen to rich He's got all kinds of great tech advice and tips for you Saturdays from eleven to two right here on KFI. You can follow him at rich on Tech. His website is rich on Tech dot TV.
Speaker 3: Thank you Rich all right, Amy, take care? All right. I mentioned that Christmas is around the corner.
Speaker 1: Well that's a ways off still, because now we got to focus on Halloween, and it is Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort. KFI AM six forty wants to give you a chance to experience the frightful fun at the Disneyland Resort now through October thirty. First, you're gonna find fiendishly tasty treats. Oh my gosh, there's so many. I can't wait to try him thrills for one and all, and Bootifel decor in both Disney California Adventure Park and the Disneyland Park. Keep it right here because Waco Call is soon going to have your chance to win a four pack of one day, one park tickets to the Disneyland Resort. Love Halloween Time at Disneyland. The nearly two week old fire in the San Bernardino Mountains has burned more than thirty nine thousand acres. It's forty nine percent surrounded the largest of the SoCal fires is at almost fifty five thousand acres and evacuation orders have been downgraded to warnings in right Wood and Mount Baldy.
Speaker 3: Good news there.
Speaker 1: The fire in Orange and Riverside Counties is holding at more than twenty three thousand acres and is thirty one percent surrounded. Attorney General Merrick Garland said the entire Justice Department is investigating the apparent attempted assassination at the golf club where former President Trump was playing around Sunday. That would be assassin is in custody and is facing gun charges for now. Florida Governor Rond DeSantis also announced yesterday the state of Florida is going to be doing its own investigation. A cabin pressure issue, oh my gosh, this is free on a Delta Airlines flight from Salt Lake City to Portland has caused passengers ears and noses to bleed. A Delta spokesperson apologized to the customers on the flight. They were put on another plane and Delta's technicians have fixed the pressurization issue. Well, that sounds horrible at six oh five. It's handled on the news straight out of a James Bond movie. Hundreds of pagers exploded simultaneously in Lebanon and Syria. How it was pulled off and who pulled it off. That's coming up.
Speaker 3: At five point fifty.
Speaker 1: We're going to find out more again about the depth of the depravity of Sean Diddy combs with ABC's Derek Dennis.
Speaker 3: AMI's on it, Damien's on it, Amy's on it.
Speaker 8: Aami's on it.
Speaker 3: What am I on?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm mostly on streaming. I love TV shows. I'm watching a great one now. I love movies. I love documentaries. Sometimes it's just regular movies not on the stream, and every once in a while it's a regular TV show. There actually are a few TV shows that I might check out this fall because they looked kind of interesting. And then sometimes I go old school and read a book. I don't know about you, but I don't really find a lot of time to read books these days, but every once in a while, I kind of get in the mood. And this one came recommended by my boss, Robin Bertolucci, and I thought, you know, that sounds really interesting, so I better.
Speaker 3: Check it out.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: The book is called The Women.
Speaker 1: It's written by Kristin Hannah, and I needed a good book when I was going to take that train ride on the Pacific Starliner or the surfwriter, sorry, the Pacific Surfwriter up to see my friend in San Luis Obispo and Paso Roblis a few weeks ago, and this was the perfect book. So it's a total page turner, keeps you reading chapter after chapter, and there are twists and turns along the journey. So it's the story of a nursing student, Frankie McGrath. She hears the words women can be heroes that pretty much changes her life. And this is all happening in the sixties. She's lived a life of privilege. She grew up in San Diego's Coronado neighborhood, and her brother, like many others in her family, joins the military, and you know, the guys joined the military, the women aren't their nurses and wives and that kind of thing. So she decides she needs to go and join the military too, because she wants to go to Vietnam be closer to her brother. So she gets approved to join the army and is sent to Vietnam to be a nurse, and Frankie is immediately thrown into the horrors of war on the first day, and it's explained in very graphic detail. It you know, it's hard to read, but it's a reality of what war is, and this war was different from any of the US had fought before. The conditions are unbearable, the weather, the blood, the infection, the heat, the dirt, all of that. And yet she makes friends, and she learns how to save lives, and she learns how to handle the lives that she can't save with compassion and empathy. And while she's there, she finds love, and she loses love, and she gets friends and she loses friends. So it's really her whole journey through this awful, awful time. And then that's just the beginning of it, because she has to come home. And if we know that the soldiers who served in Vietnam weren't exactly welcomed with open arms, and so she experiences that and has difficulty with that, and so it tells the story of how that happens. The book is beautifully written, and as I mentioned, it has twists and turns and lots of shocking events, and there are parts that just warm your heart. And then of course there are parts that just absolutely break your heart, and I will tell you it brought me to tears at times, both when she's in Vietnam and after she gets home. And it's called The Women, and it's kristin Hannah, and you can eat you can eat it.
Speaker 3: You can read it in bite sized pieces pieces, or you can do like I did. And I read it in a weekend.
Speaker 1: I read it on the train up, and I read it on the train back, and I finished it when I got home. It was just so so good. Can't recommend it enough. It's called The Women. That's what I'm on. I think you should be on it too. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Recovery work has started in the fire zone in the Angelus National Forest.
Speaker 6: The Yelly County Board of Supervisors has ratified its emergency declaration, expediting access to recovery tools. The county's Emergency Management Director, Kevin McGowan says it will still take time to gain all those necessary tools and funding.
Speaker 8: I would ask that everyone have patients through what is a long road to recovery.
Speaker 3: But we put our heart and soul into it and we'll get it.
Speaker 1: Done.
Speaker 6: The fire has destroyed more than fifty four thousand acres and dozens of homes in the area. The county has updated information at La County dot gov slash emergency Michael monks I News.
Speaker 1: A man accused of shooting a man who stole a Honda Civic in West Riverside has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges.
Speaker 3: Riverside police say.
Speaker 1: Forty one year old Tony Ortiz saw a man break into the civic around midnight on July twenty fourth, and then shot him as he drove away. The man died a few hours later in the hospital. Polis say the civic did not belong to Ortiz. Two men are accused of targeting a family in southern California in an extortion scheme aimed at illegal immigrants.
Speaker 11: The men allegedly told the family that if they did not pay fifteen hundred dollars, their relative, an illegal immigrant from Guatemala, would be taken to Mexico and killed. Federal prosecutors say the men running the scheme are both illegal immigrants from Honduras. One of the men was arrested on his way to what he thought was in exchange with the Guatemala man's family in Norwalk. The family had called police ahead of the meeting. The other was arrested in New Mexico. Last month, more than fifty migrants were rescued from a stash house in New Mexico. The men are allegedly tied to Blake Trolly k if I News.
Speaker 1: A US appeals court has upheld Gilaane Maxwell's sex trafficking conviction. The former associate to billionaire Jeffrey Epstein, was trying to get her sex trafficking conviction for helping to recruit and groom underage girls for Epstein overturned. She is serving a twenty year sentence. Epstein died by suicide in jail while awaiting his sex trafficking trial. So Cow Gases once it shuts off a gas to fifty homes in the Quail Ridge community this evening. It's going to be done, cutting service to customers on the Palace Verdes Peninsula. For now, dozens of homes in Rancho Palace Vertices have lost their gas and electricity because of land movement under homes. The man accused of starting the more than thirty nine thousand acre fire in the San Bernardino Mountains has pleaded not guilty to nearly a dozen counts of arson. Prosecutor say Justin Halstenberg tried to set other fires before he ignited a fire in Highland which has affected more than one hundred thousand residents. His next court hearing is set for Monday.
Speaker 3: Rats.
Speaker 1: San Francisco and Los Angeles have been ranked the second and third most rodent infested cities in the US.
Speaker 3: Oh goodie best.
Speaker 1: Control company Terminix looked at which of its three hundred branches got the most rodent control calls last year. Terminix says mice and rats are common in cities because most rodent populations are attracted to high population densities with mild climates and easy access to food. New York is ranked number one. We're just minutes away from handling the news. This morning cut, four years in the making could be coming. But will it be enough to keep the economy plugging along? We'll talk about that right now. Let's say good morning to ABC's Derek Dennis. So, Derek Sean Diddy Coombs is in a whole world of hurts, So let's kind of go over the charges against him and then where we're at now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, three federal charges basically racketeering, conspiracy, sex trafficking, transportation to engage in prostitu shit, essentially kidnapping, very serious charges. They could get him between fifteen years and life in prison if convicted on all of them. So Diddy right now is in a New York City jail. He was sent to jail without bail yesterday, though his attorneys are going back to court today to try an appeal his no bail condition and to get him out essentially until his trial. But the judge made it pretty clear yesterday that she considered he could be a flight risk, he could tamper with witnesses in the case, and he certainly she felt was a danger to the community. And so it'll be interesting to see how his attorneys argue against that when they go back to court today.
Speaker 1: And showing the money was no object, he offered to post fifty million dollar bond.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean a pretty staggering amount. Included not only the surrendering of his passport, which he had already surrendered even leading up to this, but the passports of his children, which is sort of extraordinary when you consider it involved putting his home up for collateral, the selling of his private plane, a pretty major bail package that was of no consequence to the judge. She denied that all right out and sent him to jail. And so the hearing today will try to get around all of that. But the charters were so serious that the judge felt he could be danger and this put him in jail pending his trial. And so, but a trial is still months away. There'll be a lot of motions, a lot of arguing back and forth on both sides of revidence over witnesses and the like, and so if and when there's a trial, it won't be until the new year at the earlier.
Speaker 3: Wow. Okay, so Derek, then here's a question for you.
Speaker 1: If the judge denies his bail again today because you said his lawyer's going to go back and ask for it again, can he just keep going back and keep going back or at some point do you say, you know what I've said, no twice or three times, you can't keep asking or can they just keep asking?
Speaker 7: Right now?
Speaker 5: It essentially is done. You get one appeal in this and that's it unless there was something you know, extraordinary that would change the set of facts, you know, for the judge to consider but you know, off the top of my head, it just doesn't seem to be anything that would preclude him or at least get him around, you know, secon another attempt at getting out in an appeal of his bail hearing. So yeah, this is pretty much it. So today would be pretty consequential in his case. Obviously, he wants out of a New York City jail. Not really accustomed to those kinds of conditions coming from the lap of luxury. And that's where this case all stems from these parties, wild parties they did he would hold at his homes where there was alleged drug use, sexual activity that was criminal, people forced into sex against their will, there was prostitution involved and the like, and that has really been the crux of the case here.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the defenses arguing.
Speaker 1: We talked to one of our hosts, John Cobolt, talked to a defense attorney yesterday, and the attorney said, what they'll argue is that all of these people who were involved in all these what were they called freak offs or something like that, that they were all trying to get into the music industry. So they were all there voluntarily. They weren't coerced or made to stay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's been the argument of his attorneys as well, that you know, the federal government shouldn't be in people's bedrooms, you know. But these charges go beyond that. They go to the heart of what is considered criminal activity. The luring of people to a home, the kidnapping of people to a home to engage in sex acts against their will with drugs involved. I mean, obvious criminal activity is at the center of the case. So this is more than consensual sex, which is what did these and lawyers are trying to argue. This is criminal activity where people are doing things against their will and that's why the charges are what they are.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And when you see the prosecutors come out yesterday, they were very impressive with just this laundry list of everything that they say has gone on and what they plan to prosecute. So it'll be interesting to see what did it comes up with on this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's been described as prosecutors literally throw the book at him. Some of the most serious charges there are when it comes to sex acts and kidnapping and you know, the transportation of people over state lines for sex and the like. You know, you don't get much more serious than a racketeering charge and those so, yeah, very serious enough that the judge is holding him without bail behind bars. We'll see what the hearing turns out to be today if his lawyers have anything else that they can throw at it in order to try to change the directory of Dibby's being held behind bars, But it doesn't seem likely today.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Derek Dennis, thank you so much for the information.
Speaker 3: We appreciate it. Sure, all right, take care.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the CAFI twenty four hour newsroom. Israel's intelligence service, the Masade, and the Israeli military have been blamed for thousands of pagers that exploded in Lebanon. ABC's Martha Radit says, Hesblah claims it twelve people were killed yesterday and nearly three thousand were hurt when the pagers belonging to its militants exploded.
Speaker 12: This was really an extraordinary attack. All over Lebanon has Bola operators carrying these pagers, thousands of them exploded. Video we have seen shows very severe injuries in some cases. Israel has not commented, but Lebanon is blaming Israel, saying they will take revenge.
Speaker 1: The New York Times says explosives were planted next to the battery in each of the pagers, along with a switch embedded to detonate them remotely. Again, Israel has not commented. Groundbreaking will be held this morning for a first of its kind costco with eight hundred apartment units in South La. More than one hundred and eighty of those units will be reserved for low income tenants. The rest will be offered as affordable and workforce housing. A go fund me efforts been has raised more than forty four thousand dollars so far for of Vala at Barney's Beanery in West Hollywood, who was beaten and left in critical condition. The man was attacked Saturday night. He's in the hospital in the ICU. He has injuries to his head, neck and body. Police are still looking for the guy who did it. Men and women on the La City Council can now use either restroom outside the chamber.
Speaker 6: There used to be just one restroom for council members and their staff during meetings, but then in the early fifties, ros Wyman was elected council president. Paul Krekorian says that prompted a change. The men who then served on the city council were forced to add a woman's bathroom here to accommodate council member Wyman. Now there are seven women on the council and many more on their staffs. Krekorian says both bathrooms are now available to everyone to cut down the long lines on the women's side in downtown La.
Speaker 2: Michael Monks KFI News it.
Speaker 1: Were just over a week away from going over the edge to raise awareness and money for the Union Rescue Mission. I'm going over the edge. I'm taking Nil Sevadra with me. We're both going to repel down the Hilton at Universal City twenty five floors. It's about two hundred and fifty feet, but we're going to repel down the side of the building to raise money and awareness for the Union Rescue Mission. Did you know that there's more than seventy five thousand homeless in La. That's a lot. It's pretty much too much to wrap your brain around. You can't help all of them, but we can help just one and your donation can help do that. And Union Rescue Mission is a totally legit place to donate to They don't get federal funding. They get one hundred from charity Navigator gives them a one hundred score eighty five cents of every dollar goes directly to the people who need it most. And the people are people who want to get off the streets. Very important and we can help them. So you can help by donating at just help one dot org. Go to the Team iHeart page and make your donation again. Both Neil and I are going over the edge and we need your help, so please join us. We're going to do it next Friday, September twenty seventh.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: I'm getting a little nervous, but it's all for a good cause and like I mentioned, please donate if you can. We hope you can help. Doesn't matter if it's a big donation, little donation will take it all. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four our newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno and traffic specialist Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app