Speaker 1: Welcome to the podcast that is slowly creeping up on Joe Rogan's numbers, The Minnesota Goodbye. Last I checked, Joe Rogan has about three million daily listeners and we have thirty eight. So we're doing I mean getting close all the time, all the time, getting closer.
Speaker 2: We're creeping up.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 3: We're closer than you who might not be doing a podcast.
Speaker 1: Yepp ouch Jenny. One of our guests on the podcast is a very special guest, Kanye We No, it's Secretary Brie. Secretary Brie. Secretary Brie sends out staff writer stickers and Secretary Brie is an interesting person because you are the mom of what two kids?
Speaker 4: Two children?
Speaker 1: Two kids? You are going to school to become a nurse.
Speaker 4: Already a nurse okay, and working on my esthetics nursing.
Speaker 1: So what is esthetic nursing and laser.
Speaker 4: Harry moveal You're going to hook me up?
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh my gosh y.
Speaker 1: How long to take to become certified for botox and laser hair?
Speaker 4: Presently?
Speaker 1: Not that long.
Speaker 4: I'm doing it all online. You can do like a week long course. You can also do it in like a weekend like it's a lot very expensive, but I'm doing just a self paced online situation. It's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, we were talking off the air with Secretary Brie, and I hope you don't mind me bringing this up, but you I am leading this somewhere. You were heavy as a kid, I was, okay, So I wanted to ask you in the most respectful way if you are a parent and your kid is getting heavy. Let's say she's eight years old or he's eleven, and they're like husky, because that's what we used to call him when I was a kid, was the.
Speaker 4: The jeans are called husky.
Speaker 1: They used to have a brand name called husky, like it's sears or something like that. So what what is a good way? Because let's face it, if you have a husky, I do it partly tongue in cheek. Kid, you probably don't want them to face that. So I'm going to start with this, what is as a bigger kid and growing up bigger? Was that challenging for you?
Speaker 4: For sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And then I think just I think there's just shame that goes with when you're young, you don't know what's right versus wrong necessarily, and you're trying to learn those healthy habits, And it's just I don't know, it's just definitely a delicate, delicate balance I think between having a good, honest conversation and doing damage.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's my next point is, like, if you've got a kid who's getting bigger than you're, like, eh, she's putting on a little weight. She's eight years old and she weighs this, how do you approach an eight year old or how do you what do you say to a fourteen year old who's you know, maybe thirty pounds overweight without destroying that self esteem or whatever it might be endangering.
Speaker 4: Right, I think it's so hard. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think you necessarily need to have a conversation with an eight year old like hey, buddy, you're getting big, because then isn't that partially on you as a parent to like feed them better and like get them more exercise opportunities. So that's not necessarily a conversation with like an eight year old versus like if you're sixteen and you do have a little bit more like wherewithal and agency than maybe having a conversation with that person versus somebody who's like eight, Absolutely what did.
Speaker 1: You hear from your parents if anything? When you know, not a lot.
Speaker 4: So I didn't live I only lived with my mom growing up, and there wasn't a lot of talk about it, but there would be like the subtle I don't know if we should have that or you know, little things like that. I didn't have a lot of tools though. I wasn't in sports other than basketball for a little bit. I didn't have a lot of healthy activities that I did, and I think that was a big contributor. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Is it genetic also where mom and dad I maybe a little bit.
Speaker 4: I was definitely much bigger than either of my parents ever were when I was like in my twenties and early thirties even Okay, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: How did it affect you? I mean, were you always like going, oh, people are looking at me.
Speaker 4: I worried. I think about like, you know, the plastic, white plastic picnic table chairs, those cheap ones. Yes, if you'd ever go to an event or get together and those were the chairs, it was like a moment of panic, not like I'm not gonna fit in that chair, I'm gonna break that chair like that kind of stuff. Not being able to fit on a roller coaster ride. Like I stopped going to amusement parks because I had one time where I had to get off because it didn't fit and it was devastating.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, never so sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you do? If I can ask and you don't, you know, like if you don't want to answer, what did you do to cause you're thin? Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So I actually I had weight less surgery eleven years ago. I had the gastric sleeve. Okay, yeah, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I know somebody who had the gas tricks something or other. Beth's mother sure was always a little bit heavy. Then she got up to I think three hundred and sixty five pounds and then she had the surgery. And I'll be honest with you, I was a little bit annoyed because her insurance paid for it, and I was like, you ate your way into that problem. But maybe I'm just being a because I can be kind of a dick. But she then ate her way back through the gas sleeve and gain back everything. Is that is that?
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely, If you don't fix some of those problems, you just binge eat yourself right back into you stretch it right back out and you absolutely get the way back.
Speaker 1: One more question, why is everything that is so delicious bad for us? Breathe, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I wish I knew the answer, and I wouldn't have chipped my tooth on a nerds rope this morning.
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 4: I ate a frozen nerd rope on my way in the corner of a tooth that I've been perseverating on all morning.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it looks like Jim Harry and Dumb and Dummer. Yeah that wow. Well, thank you, Brie, we appreciate it. Emails, which is the basically the main body of the Minnesota Goodbye, Let's get started. Aaron writes in wanted to chime in for the listener, worried about naming her baby the same as a distant family member. What was the name they get? Jack? Jack? Yeah, so they came over with the name Jack and then they said, oh, well, you can't name Jack Jack because your cousin Katie has a kid named Jack. In my family, I've got two uncle Dan's, two cousin Megan's, and two cousin Ryan's. One set them a mom's side, other on a dad's side. And yes, they are within the same family, and the only differing factor is there's also a Caitlin thrown in the mix. There's also a cousin Kate and a cousin Katie that Mary. As far as I know, nobody cares. Nobody cares, and we often get Dans and Ryan's together. Makes it confusing for my significant other, but got a big deal.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they existed before, like the two parents got together, though, because then if it's like ones on dad side ones on mom's side, Well, we both had a cousin Ryan at the time, so obviously you're gonna still have it and no one will care versus having one exist and then you name the other one the same name as someone who already exists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, probably a little bit different, Aubrey writes in First Time Writer. So sorry this is if this is not the correct way. No, it's fine. I was listening to the Minnesota Goodbye episode where Dave talked about orkin people I worked for Orcan, and I showed my bosses the episode where you guys talked about Orcan Porno. I think it traumatized them. Dart Lick, dart Lick. Aubrey the Orcan woman. What did we say about organ You said, what did I say?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think you just made a joke about the kind of porn you watch, and you said all the porn like the orgon.
Speaker 2: Man shows up and it's like, oh, I'm here to get rid of your infestation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you said kind of started it.
Speaker 1: You gonna stop me once in a while.
Speaker 3: Well, no, when you get on those weird post the best my favorite version of you.
Speaker 1: Actually, Thank you, Aubrey. Next one, another staff writer wrote in the Other Day says Shannon for about birthday spankings, and she said she was in first grade in nineteen ninety five. Shit, I'm old. That's when I grab wait from high school. But back to birthdays at school, I remember everybody able to bring in homeroom treat homemade treats, not like Jessica's mom who was going to poison the d not like Jessica's mom was going to try to poison the entire second grade class. Yet it was in fact a treat. What sucked was my birthday is June twenty fifth, so no school. Well then they would normally celebrate your half birthday. Damn, that's Christmas so no school again. I always got screwed. But lucky for my mom because she's not little miss Sally homemaker, and my treats would have been just a bummer. That's all for today. Lickety Dart lickety by from Shannon. I remember they used to call him room mothers back when I was a kid, and at the beginning of every school year, they would, you know, ask for a couple of volunteers to become room mothers. And they were the ones that would come assist on party days like Valentine's Day or whatever, Halloween, and the room mothers would bake cookies or brownies or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Volunteer, yeah, a volunteer, Yeah, but they would call hers, yeah.
Speaker 1: And room mothers would come on birthdays and whatever. But I remember very clearly having birthdays in like third grade, and I'd be so excited because my mom was going to come this afternoon and she's bringing cookies for everybody, and so she'd bring in a tray of cookies and they'd hand out milk and all the kids was sing Happy Birthday, and I remember being very excited about that. I'll tell you one traumatic story, and I've told you this before, the first time I was, I was probably in a kindergarten or so maybe younger, and my brother was about five years older than me, and he was having a birthday party in his room. So my mom was a room mother and brought ice cream bars, so the stick with the chocolate wrapped around the ice cream. They handed me one, and it was mostly thowed because it had not been in the freezer, and I was about to take a bite and the whole damn thing plopped onto the ground, and I was so upset because I was a little boy and I'd never had one before. I remember the sixth grade girls were all like, oh, David, it's okay, And I was like, did you have birthday celebrations when you were in school?
Speaker 2: We definitely had like where you could still bring in baked goods. I do remember that, And now that you say room mothers and describe who they are, we definitely had like the same like three moms come and volunteer for like before Christmas and like Valentine's Day, the ones where we had like the big party in class. But I remember specifically like if somebody had a parent, come in and have lunch with them, like in the cafeteria. That was the biggest damn deal in the entire school. You'd be like, oh my god, Ashley's mom is here and she brought McDonald's for her and Ashley to eat. Oh my gut. It was like the coolest thing to have ever happened. When really looking back on your like, that was cool.
Speaker 1: Now, that's funny because when when Carson was in elementary school one through five, I would go once or twice a year and go have lunch with him, and he'd be very proud, and he would and his friends that you know when you when you're a certain age third grade, you giggle and make jokes and you know, with with somebody else's parents or whatever. But then I went one time in fifth grade and I sat with him and all of his boys and they were quiet, and I could tell I was killing their vibe because here was an adult figure that kept them from making titty jokes and fart jokes and booger jokes. So they all sat there and politely ate, and I knew that was that was it, And I no.
Speaker 2: More past that.
Speaker 4: No, I'm so jealous of summer birthdays though, by the way back, having a January birthday awful. Yeah, awful, so cold, nothing to do, no pony ice skate sled yep, that's like it. Yeah, maybe a roller skating. There's no water parks, there's no amusement parks, there's no camping, there's no I have my husband is a July birthday and so jealous.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, so jealous because in the summer you get to have like the kids come over for a slip and slide or run through the sprinkler or you know whatever.
Speaker 4: So many choices.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I winter, you're like in the thick of the school year, we had one of my speech team kids, it was her birthday the other day and we just all sang to her on the bus and that was all that she got.
Speaker 1: Lame. That was it, oame lame. Uh. Let's see, we got a couple more here, Amanda writes in and by the way, the address is always Ryan Show at katiewb dot com. I want to share my story about skipping school and getting caught middle school. I'd spontaneously decided to stay home or walk to the bus stop and just kept on a walking. My mom went to work at the same time, so I knew she wouldn't be home. I walked back home and thought I was in the clear. About ten minutes after school started, my mom called my phone. Now I didn't think about what would happen after the school called my mom, but my mom was then texted me was very upset, saying that she was coming home to look for me. I didn't think about the fact that she would think I got kids. I decided I was going to hide in a box with stuffed animals that were we were donating brilliant, I thought. My poor moms racing around our house panic looking for me. She decided to call my cell phone, which gave away my location. She was so mad. Probably a year or two later, I had the same idea, but I hid under my bed and put blankets and clothes in front of me. She found me the same way. That damn phone didn't learn my lesson. Looking back on it, I feel so bad for putting my four poor mom through that. I am twenty five now and she is my best friend. Stay warm out there from Amanda. I used to fake sick a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did not go in.
Speaker 1: Once every two months. Oh that I didn't want to go in, Yeah, because it was so fun to stay home and watch prices right, yep. And I remember one time I told my mom and said, I don't want to go to school. Okay, we'll stay home because she was very permissive. And Donna, my sister, who was probably ten years older than me, she got up and she's like, why are you not at school? And I said, I'm not going to school. So I hid in a closet and I could hear Donna walking up and down the hall, David, David, David. She couldn't find me, and then she finally had to leave for work or whatever it was. And I got away with it. But I skipped school. I mean fake sick, sure, quite a bit.
Speaker 2: I never once faked sick in my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think Vaughn asked us on the podcast last week if we skipped school, and Bailly and I were like, way too good of students, Yeah, that we we just didn't.
Speaker 2: I went to school on days that were optional because I was such a good student. Suck up.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I think that's kind of it for the Minnesota Goodbye. We would love to have more emails. So if you want to write an email, and you're a first time emailer, then if we read your email, make sure put your address in there and then Secretary Brie will Will will send you a staff writer sticker. She came in to day because it was her birthday yesterday and to replenish the supply of staff writer stickers which are very trap active, which go well on your computer, laptop, lid, your yetti or I don't know wherever else you want not pre Stanley get all caught up today. Thank you Brie for coming in and we'll see you tomorrow on the man Minnesota. Goodbye.