Speaker 1: All right, good morning, welcome in Happy Tuesday. It is Kentucky and his morning news here on News Radio eight forty whas Coffee and Company. I'm Nick Coffee and I've got some company with me. The team is here. Scott Fitzgerald alongside John Alden. He's here. He's in fact the reason we're on the air. He's the guy that's working his magic in the control room. And of course John Shannon alongside today as we take you up till nine o'clock gets you started here on a hot, hot Tuesday. Hopefully you enjoyed some Bob Seeker there. As I was scrambling around the studio, which this is the first time this show started, and I realized, oh one, I didn't have my earbuds unwrapped, because sometimes they get all tangled up and it's a pain in the ass, to be honest with you, to get him untangled. And then I didn't have an adapter that we need for these for these headphones and Scott, those things are it's like hitting the lottery when you find one, right it is.
Speaker 2: It's for those that don't understand a little inside baseball. We have to have a special jack for some of the headphones to your point. And when I used to come in on Saturday and I couldn't find one, I'm like, oh my god, where do these?
Speaker 3: And I asked the boss, I said, can we get some more of these? Can we get these?
Speaker 4: They're not that expensive, they must be really hard to find. Well, if we still had.
Speaker 3: A radio shack that we could go and we go grab them from radio.
Speaker 4: Or a radio shack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if they're actually dead. Maybe I killed them. I'm not sure, but I haven't seen one in a long time.
Speaker 2: But it is frustrating when it only seems to happen like right when you get ready to go in the air.
Speaker 1: Sure, look, it's my fault. I should have looked beforehand. But we've got a busy show today and I'm just trying to get get caught up on. Unfortunately, what the two biggest stories are nationally two mass shootings that took place yesterday, one in midtown Manhattan and another one that took place in Reno, Nevado at a casino. So those, of course will be big things that you hear about throughout not just this show, but obviously throughout the day, because again, how about this just not really being that big of a shock. These kind of things happen way too often. Anytime it happens is a tragedy. But I thought about it right whenever I was just eating more details on the Reno, Nevada shooting that took place yesterday morning. This actually this was before the one in New York City. But if you are like, this happens here in this country at a different rate substantially than other countries that we would consider to be somewhat peers with us, if that makes sense, And I just I thought about their person like their view of us, right, like when they I mean that they probably think like when when when America comes to mind. I'm sure there's a lot of things that they think of, but like this has got to be one of them, right because this just this is this is.
Speaker 4: Again not an unusual story.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, there is a little bit of that wild wild West when folks think of America now and not in the positive light the way we we sort of glamorized it in our past.
Speaker 3: And it happens, but it also you know, it's happened, and we've seen this.
Speaker 2: In places like Norway before, we've seen it in Germany, but the US is gonna carry that on there of course, facade that this is kind of what happens here.
Speaker 4: I ended up.
Speaker 1: I ended up in a Reddit threat a while back, and I don't really know how I got there, and I didn't spend a lot of time there because it was a pretty sad, toxic place on the Internet, which there's a lot of toxic places on the Internet, and it was just a culture smack off, if you will, where people from other countries were doing their best insult of other countries as far as just their perception of people who live here and live there, and for America, I mean, the low hanging fruit as far as other countries as far as just making fun of us was how fat we are, and mass shootings and then school shootings kind of mixed in there as well. And I'd never really look, I'm clearly proud to be an American, wouldn't want to live in any other country. There's a lot of there's no better country than this one. But it was just the first time I'd really thought about how other countries view us in our culture, and again that was something designated for them to think of awful things. There's a lot of great things, but I'd never really thought about it until then. And now anytime there's a story like this, doesn't take long for me to at least go back to that threat and think, well, at least you know they're at least we're I mean, we're giving them, we're giving them examples for them to rector revents that you know, And I think.
Speaker 3: You said it best.
Speaker 2: Low hanging fruit is having lived overseas, I've seen some pretty ugly things all your countries, you know what I mean. But that's why I'm glad you said that low hanging fruit, because that's what people grab for. That's the impression that we have. Now we have to live with it, we have to deal with it. And like you said, unfortunately two incidents yesterday you pointed out to me the violence in Cincinnati yes for the weekend, which was insane. That actually happened the night before we got up there. I fortunately my wife didn't see before her anxiety would have been through the roof on too.
Speaker 4: It's right, be honest, it's sad.
Speaker 2: To see all this unfold, But like you said, it's low hanging fruit for folks.
Speaker 1: For those who don't know what Scott's referring to there was some real awful violence in Cincinnati where and I guess context details still still not fully clear, but just people just randomly getting completely just assaulted. And you know, just the visual of it is just.
Speaker 3: The visuals horrible.
Speaker 2: You showed it to me, and I usually don't get too crazy upset about that stuff that's wrong.
Speaker 4: At so many levels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm sure that story won't go away because a lot of folks in Cincinnati were thinking, Okay, why is nobody addressing this?
Speaker 4: And now they are as they should. So all right, fellas, let's have it Tuesday, shall we. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: We've got an update of travicking weather coming your way. It is Kentucky and his Morning News, Coffee and Company right here on news radio waight forty Whas. When I pulled out of my driveway this morning at about three three forty five ish, didn't take long. Probably by the time I got to the end of my street, AC was on full blast. That's how disgusting this heat wave is. And I use the word disgusting, and some may say that's a little bit dramatic, but to me it is. It is in fact disgusting and anytime I complain about the weather on a platform like news radio eight forty whas I instantly realize, well, I'm talking to people who may actually have to be out working in these conditions all day, which is dangerous. To be real, that's not I mean, I don't say that to just sympathize with you. I mean it's quite literally dangerous to be outdoors in this kind of weather, this kind of heat, with this humidity, if you're not hydrating and following what you need to follow in order to be safe. But I'm curious, if you are somebody that is clearly much tougher than me, you'd say, I've got soft hands, what is the most important thing to making it work to where you can you know, you can get through a work shift in this kind of heat, in these kind of conditions, And obviously, like hydrating, I would imagine is the obvious one. A but outside of that is there's something that you have found to be really really important to getting through a really really hot and humid work day that maybe would surprise the soft hand folks like myself who just aren't built as tough as you. I'm curious can tell us on the talkback feature within the iHeart Radio app. So if you use that, if you listen to the show on the talkback, just click that microphone button on the ihet radio app and you can you can share with us whatever it is. And I'm curious to not only learn, but also maybe we can we can inform some other folks.
Speaker 4: Maybe we can help you get.
Speaker 1: Through those brutal hot days working in heat like this, because maybe others will provide some good info that can help you. Don't be a gatekeeper here, now, let's let's help people get through what I would imagine would be a brutal, brutal work shift. All Right, it's five eighteen here at Kentucky and it's morning News Coffee and Company News Radio eight forty whas nit coffee with you. We'll talk to Rory O'Neil coming up around five forty five, get his thoughts on what we know about the two mass shootings that took place yesterday. And again, it's just crazy that here we are. That's not necessarily I mean, it's certainly news, but it's not surprising in a way that it used to be many many years ago. So yesterday it started with a deadly shooting in Reno, Nevada. It was yesterday morning when a gunman opened fire and I guess one of Reno's biggest casinos, that left three people dead and three others injured. It took place just after sunrise at the Grand Sea Era Resort in Reno. And then, of course, yesterday afternoon, a horrifying mass shooting in midtown Manhattan. I guess this was more so towards the evening, but a lone gunman stormed into an office tower forty four story building, killed four people, including an NYPD officer, critically injured another before taking his own life. And this building featured. The tenants in this building, one of them is the NFL, and it certainly sounds like he was there because of the NFL. Don't know what his ultimate intentions were, if he followed through with what he wanted to do before taking his own.
Speaker 4: Life, but.
Speaker 1: This suspect claims that football gave him CTE and that, of course is not a good look for the NFL. Obviously they're you know, I'm not sure what they can do here as far as damage control. But not a coincidence that he was where he was real quick. This is the This is the NYPD commissioner discussing this yesterday.
Speaker 5: The building security camera footage shows the shooter enter the lobby, turn right and immediately opened fire on an NYPD officer. He then shoots a woman who took cover behind a pillar and proceeds through the lobby, spraying it with gunfire. He makes his way to the elevator bank, where he shoots a security guard who was taking cover behind the security desk.
Speaker 1: So one NPD officer was killed, was off duty but was working private security. Another tenant in this building is a Blackstone, and one of their executives was shot and killed in the lobby there, and one NFL employee was critically injured. So four people dead, including the suspect. And in his in his pocket there was a note that referenced him having CTE in blaming the NFL. The note cited Terry Long, who's a former Steeler player. He died by suicide after suffering CTE. This was years back, and this this this says, football gave me CTE.
Speaker 4: You can't go against the NFL. They'll they'll squash you.
Speaker 1: And this this suspect did request his brain be studied and apologized to somebody named Rick that was what was in this note, that that was in this letter, that was in his pocket. So a guy who drove across country, uh to to to to do this, and clearly he had a plan. And you just never, I mean you never imagine, you know, somehow, finding out that you may have crossed paths with this individual as he drove from Las Vegas to New York to carry out something heinous like this.
Speaker 4: Just just awful.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got another update of tracking and weather coming your way. Bobby Ellis will get us caught up on how the traffic has look and so far this morning here in Kentucky, Ina. As we get a Tuesday morning started, we'll get the latest with Matt Melosovich. When it comes to the forecast today, I can tell you though, I'm gonna steal the thunder. It's gonna be hot. I don't know if Matt will tell you that. I'm sure you will, but it's gonna be hot, it's gonna be gross, so be prepared.
Speaker 4: It's Kentucky.
Speaker 1: It's morning news right here, Coffee and company with you on news RADIOATE forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is five point thirty five here in Kentucky. INA's morning News Coffee and Company with you. You're on news radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee. That's me the company man, John Alden alongside today. So the other mass shooting that took place yesterday, we talked about some of the details with the the awful situation in New York City, but the other took place yesterday morning in Reno, Nevada. And it doesn't look as if we know the identity of the of the suspect here. But here here's what happened. A This is in Reno, Nevada, right outside of the Grand Sierra Casino as esterday morning, a gunman open fire outside of that huge casino. I think it's one of the biggest in Reno. Three people dead, three injured, and it unfolded just after sunrise there and it occurred seven twenty five am in the valley area of that resort. Three people killed again, three people injured, including the suspect who is not dead but was taken to the hospital. And only description we have is that that it is an adult male and he was shot by police during the arrest. So just another awful situation that surprised you know, unfortunately, is no longer a surprise when you see these kind of things that end up in the news. So two of those things occurred yesterday, and that'll of course be I think, a big topic nationally, just as even though it's not as surprising as it as it used to be, unfortunately, I mean, it's still news and it's still something that's going to get a lot of attention.
Speaker 4: All right, So.
Speaker 1: I guess this would be considered the you know, the good news, good news, bad news situation. And let me ask John, if somebody says, hey, you want the good news or the bad news first, are you somebody that says, give me the bad news first?
Speaker 4: Or do you do you care? It really depends on how I think.
Speaker 3: I'm usually give me the bad news.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna give you two different traffic situations.
Speaker 4: One is good, one is bad. What do you want the bad first?
Speaker 3: Go and give me the bad.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll give you the bad. That's what you ask for, That's what you're gonna get. The Kennedy Bridge lane closures are not are not stopping, They're not going anywhere. They're gonna be ongoing, and that that is probably not ideal for a lot of people. So I sixty five south on the Kennedy Bridge when you cross from Indiana to Louisville. The right three lanes and the right shoulder are still closed. A temporary fourth lane closure took place yesterday from nine am to three pm to I guess install barrier walls. So from not I gather these barrier walls are going to be in place to where there's a barrier there, to where you know that those other they're just gonna be off limits for a while.
Speaker 4: Well they get worked on us suppose.
Speaker 1: So this is part of that seven million dollar project to replace those expansion joints.
Speaker 4: We talked about it last week.
Speaker 1: I don't know what an expansion joint does, but if you told me they need to be repaired or replaced, I'm gonna I'm gonna trust you because that sounds pretty important to you know, a bridge that thousands of people cross every day.
Speaker 4: So that's not a good thing.
Speaker 1: But we'll get through. We always do, right, And what are you gonna do? I mean, you got to get from point A to point B and unfortunately a lot of people they have to take that bridge every day. Now, the good news is the work that was taking place around Hospital Curve. They finished early, so that's the good news. John, I was sixty five south that hospital curve that was I don't know what the timeline was initially, but it is being reported that they got that done early. So they they expected some big time delays and it it didn't. It didn't happen, so I mean, maybe, well, I guess there were some big time delays over the weekend, but again they ended up getting it done a little early, so and that's the good news. So I oftentimes need to remind myself that I rarely ever hit traffic to a point where I need to, you know, worry about getting any road rage because I'm impatient like a lot of people, and I don't I probably shouldn't even joke, because road rage is a really a legitimate thing where people, you know, sometimes lose their life and whatnot. So I've never gotten to that point. But you know, traffic sucks, right Who likes who likes traffic?
Speaker 4: Nobody?
Speaker 1: The only possible benefit of being in a traffic jam would be that you get a longer experience with us in the mornings. That's the only that's the only thing I got for you that can make it to where it's not as bad. But I rarely have ever had any issue with traffic as far as like my daily commute. Obviously there can be construction, there can be recks that will hold you up. That happens to everybody, but as far as just any any schedule that I've had and any job that I've had has usually been pretty smooth as far as I've been able to avoid what I guess you call typical rush hour traffic. We certainly don't get that on our way in in the mornings, do we. John it's a ghost town, yeah, which is kind of cool in a way. And there are some times where I notice more cars and I'm like, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Why are there?
Speaker 1: In fact I had I did not change This is just this speaks to me being a procrastinator.
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 1: Change the clock in my car, and it doesn't do it automatically, so my if you go to my vehicle right now and turn it on, it doesn't say.
Speaker 4: That it's five forty. It says that it's six forty.
Speaker 1: And I had a brief moment of panic because I noticed more people on the roadways last week than usual, not like anything crazy and then I looked at my clock and I had that brief, brief moment of like, oh my god, I'm an hour late for work. And you know, luckily it end up being okay. But yeah, I'm thankful that I don't sit in a lot of traffic, because I'm sure a lot of people do. And that's another thing that I that I don't often think about. But there are people who don't live in the Louisville metro area.
Speaker 4: They may live forty five.
Speaker 1: Minutes to an hour outside of Louisll rather that be in Kentucky somewhere or Indiana. And and you know, even when there's not traffic, they got a long haul just to get to work. Because obviously a lot of places on the outskirts of Louisville, a lot of people who live there work in this big city of Louisville, Kentucky. So anyways, traffic sucks. But again, look at it on the bright side. If you're in traffic right now, which I don't believe you are, you get a longer experience with us here Coffee and Company. All Right, we're gonna talk to Rory O'Neal of NBC News on the other side, but first let's get another update on the roadways with Bobby Ellis. We'll get a look at Matt Melosvitch's forecast from wokhy right here on Kentucky and this morning News Coffee and Company with You on News Radio eight forty whas. This is Kentucky and is Morning News with Coffee and Company here on news Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with You, and I am joined by Rory O'Neal of NBC News. Let's talk healthcare. Rory, some states clearly are much better in that regard than others. How does our wonderful state of Kentucky do. I'm going to assume it's not great, But that's me just that's my nature. Is that preparing for the preparing for the worst news and hoping you're gonna give me good news.
Speaker 6: Well, if not the worst, so let's start to go. So that's okay. So that's you know, better than it could be. And actually one of the places where Kentucky ranks among the top ten in the nation is the access to healthcare. That would include dentists, by the way, so that comes in number ten in the survey. But overall, wallet Hub ranks Kentucky's healthcare at forty third out of fifty one including Washington, DC, So not a great number, but again improved to health Yeah, access to healthcare was strong. The other two are costs the rank at forty three and the outcomes rank came in at forty six. So look, this is a continuing issue for the United States. We spent an awful lot on healthcare, more per capita than any other country on the planet. But our lifespans, though, are not necessarily longer, and more and more of us are living with chronic diseases compared to other people around the world.
Speaker 4: What stay is the best? Who do we need to model after.
Speaker 6: To emulate New Hampshire? Okay, but that one lived for or die in New Hampshire. They came in at number one, Rhode Island number two, Minnesota is third, Iowa fourth, and Massachusetts comes in at number five. And now the places you're better than well, Texas is number forty seven on the list than Georgia, Alabama, Alaska, and dead last at number fifty one is Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Now what are the contributing when it comes to those that are in the you know, the bottom tier in Kentucky being one of those. I'm sure there's different factors that lead to them being ranked where they are, but is there one that is consistent? Is it one that just maybe seems to be the real root of why they struggle compared to other states.
Speaker 6: Well, take for instance, Alaska. They come in dead last, ranking fifty first when it comes to the cost of healthcare, but that you can understand rank being more remote, you got to pay doctors more to be there. But in the other two categories in terms of access to healthcare and outcome, they're sort of middle of the pack twenty seven and thirty third, So that one number on the cost of healthcare really drags it down. Meanwhile, Alabama comes in fiftieth when it comes to access to healthcare, but the cost of it is actually right in the middle of the pack, coming in twenty six. So it really can be just one of these factors that really turns things upside down.
Speaker 1: Roriyo and Nil of NBC News is our guest joining us here on news radio eight forty. Whas workers in Las Vegas are are worried as tourism and tips appear to be dropping.
Speaker 4: Is this the economy?
Speaker 1: Is this maybe just Vegas not having the same cachet that it once did. What do we know as far as why there's been a little bit of a dip here.
Speaker 6: Well, part of it is also because the Canadians are a little angry with US, okay, and that's been an issue well, and Kentucky is recognizing that too, right with a lot of the liquor sales going way down that's exported into Canada. So yeah, that's a big part of it. There are you know, the political ramifications. Can the Canadians not happy about being theft you first state, or the way these trade deals are being handled. But also in more practical terms, the Canadian dollar to the US dollar is not good if you're Canadian, so they may just be choosing other locations as well. And the issue is so many people in Vegas rely on tips. Remember Nevada is a huge swing state now in presidential elections. It's the reason that whole idea of no tax on tips came up was to try to win over that state. And President Trump did manage to carry the state of Nevada. But you've got one hundred and eighty thousand people in the metro Vegas area who work for tips, and they might be struggling right now. Is there a fewer people passing out those tips, No.
Speaker 4: Doubt about it.
Speaker 1: Rory has always appreciate the time. Enjoy your day and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Thanks Neck.
Speaker 4: Take care of that is Rory O'Neil of the NBC News.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Vegas has got to be up there as far as one of the biggest transplant cities maybe in the world. And yes, if you are somebody dependent upon tips.
Speaker 4: You need people. You need people that.
Speaker 1: They're taking in everything that comes with Vegas. And I'm not a huge Vegas guy myself, but I know a lot of people that are. And apparently there's been a little bit of a dip there, but it'll get back. It's Vegas. When I think of Vegas now, other than my experience there, I think of how desperate and everybody was desperate to get back to normal life whenever we had these shutdowns because of COVID, and I just remember seeing the way they were trying to get back to normal and with all the barriers, the plastic barriers and just it was a wild time. But anyhow, good stuff from Rory. Let's take a quick time out, get you caught up on the traffic out there on the roadways. We'll get another look at Matt Melosa its forecast from Woky and then Scott will be back in with another update on sports right here on news Radio eight forty whis