Speaker 1: Welcome back to Babylon.
Speaker 2: We are the podcast that is watching and breaking down episodes of Babylon five. We just watched Come to the Inquisitor, season two, episode twenty one.
Speaker 1: I believe.
Speaker 2: I am Jenny. I'm a massive fan of the show and I've watched it through many times.
Speaker 3: Unacceptable are you?
Speaker 1: I am the Bermudian? Unacceptable. I don't have the magicals you.
Speaker 3: Get do anything to be in hindsight? It is really funny that I have. I have interjected in a third of our episodes. Who are we in hindsight? Anyway?
Speaker 4: True?
Speaker 5: Yes, I'll let you interject that again right now.
Speaker 3: Who are you?
Speaker 5: I'm Jed accept screenwriter, showrunner. Watched the show a long time ago, missed this episode. New was out there because people talk about it, but I didn't never see it in person until today.
Speaker 3: I am Achelle. If I fall another, We'll take my place. I've got I'm an actor her first set watcher bel five. I love this show so much.
Speaker 6: I'm Ali. I'm a screenwriter and an actor.
Speaker 7: Not for fame where no one can see.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and this is my first time watching Babylon five. What a what an episode.
Speaker 3: The Babylon podcast was our last best hope for a deep dive, A self contained discussion for hosts, strong located in the neutral territory of the Zokolow, a place of commentary and analysis for two veterans and two newcomers, a shining beacon of fandom, all alone in the streaming void. It was the dawn of the streaming age, the year the great theories came upon us all this is the story of Babylon. The year is twenty twenty six. The place wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: As I guess noted while the episode is happening, but just for the podcast listeners. This was written by j MS and directed by Mike Vehar, who was directed several episodes previously.
Speaker 6: So this man was into spirituality.
Speaker 3: This man in psychology background, doesn't he does?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 7: Yes, that was great because I was like, this is all psychology, yeah and spirit Yeah, okay, that makes sense. Because I was like, Jesus was great.
Speaker 3: This was so good. This was so freaking good. I mentioned go ahead, Okay.
Speaker 2: I was just at the very end you were like, don't call it out. Don't call it because he does make it very explicit at the end. It is Jack the Ripper in the Jama Speaks part. It's like, he says, flat out. Some people were really mad at me for making it really explicit, and some people were like, why didn't you tell us who that dude was?
Speaker 6: That's what I said. I was like.
Speaker 7: I was like, you have to thread the middle ground every time, because because some people will get it right away, right, and some people are going to still be like.
Speaker 6: Who they'd never explained to Jack?
Speaker 3: What is the East End?
Speaker 6: Where is London?
Speaker 1: Okay? The east End? West End? Did you get to that part in the notes?
Speaker 2: Hold on, I gotta find it because I don't remember which one it is one of them?
Speaker 1: If people who love Jack the Ripper know which one it is.
Speaker 7: Okay, when we say love Jack the Ripper, I mean or the Laura yea fascinated by the.
Speaker 6: Laura, Yes he calls.
Speaker 5: He says, Okay, here's one clue for any would be ripperologists out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he uses that term a lot. But I was trying to pay attention to it and I couldn't figure it out. He Bruce says one, and then the actual audio says another because they fixed it.
Speaker 5: In Oh, that's really funny, right right, right, right.
Speaker 1: They sucked it up, but the first time it aired they hadn't fixed it.
Speaker 3: So they said west end. Because said, yeah, so here's what.
Speaker 4: So here's what.
Speaker 5: Here's the JMS said, yes, I know, it's the east end, not the west end. I looked write at my notes when I was writing the script and they said east and I typed west and nobody noticed until it went out. I could have replaced it with a looped line prior to the first airing here, as this was found during the UK airings, but looping never improves, only diminishes of performance. And he's on camera and the words wouldn't match his mouth. So I decided to let it go out this way once for performance, and we'll correct this aspect with a loop in later airings, even though that will somewhat lessen the performance aspect.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he says it, And there's another part where he talks about it. So he says basically all that's so, I won't repeat it, But he says, so I can hent myself with the notion that it's west of Babylon five.
Speaker 1: Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to go shoot myself.
Speaker 3: That's pretty fun, you know. He made one mistake.
Speaker 4: Oh god, it's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's hard. It's hard. Writing is hard, you know, triple check stuff.
Speaker 3: And still I mentioned in the episode unless there's.
Speaker 1: Something else, No, No, that's it.
Speaker 3: He starts in with who are you? Who are you? Who are you? And after the third time, I said something to the effect of this is giving what do you want? Vibes?
Speaker 1: What you want?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Jenny, you you grinned really hard when I said that. I think you did, or maybe you maybe you didn't, and maybe your avatar glitched out, But I I bring that up because it they're both very existential questions. They're both very you know, if we're looking at psychology, which we are now, there are questions that kind of hit close to the court are we But it's funny because.
Speaker 2: Existential questions offered by human ambassadors of weird.
Speaker 3: Yes, but they're opposite, kind of very opposite.
Speaker 2: They're directed by Morgan comes in and he's like, hey, how you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to see you. What do you want? And and Sebastian comes in He's like you, I hate Jack.
Speaker 3: But they're also questions because what do you want is like, what do you want? Is this? What is the void? That you have within you and what are you trying to fill it with? And who are you?
Speaker 6: Is?
Speaker 3: Okay, now look at the void. Yeah, acknowledge that you are the void and you can't fill the void.
Speaker 2: I've never thought of this as the ego death episode. And like the second you said it, I was like, oh, fuck, yes, But what do you want? Is like, tell me what your ego wants? Like it's basically an ego question. Yeah, and this is the ego death question.
Speaker 3: Consume, consume, consume? How do you how are you trying to fill the emptiness? Whatever the emptiness is? What what do you think will make the pain go away? Whatever the pain is the pain of my heart Totley who Ali has been telling me to read forever and ever and ever, and I finally started reading it, talks about it, started reading that's so good, it's so good. Who could have known this? Who could have known this? And then I was talking to my therapist about it today, as I always mentioned my therapist on this podcast, because I have therapy.
Speaker 6: One men seeing therapist.
Speaker 3: And I was talking about it and it was it's funny. He was like, yeah, he actually developed his theories a lot more after he wrote the book because the book talks about don't think at all, but you're reading a book and the book is nothing but thoughts. And that's a good point.
Speaker 6: Well he does point that out, he.
Speaker 3: Does, and whatever, it's it's a great book. But but I want, oh, I bring this up because he talks about how when you start trying to be be present yourself and not subsume yourself in thought, your mind freaks out and rebels against it, because that's that's all it is. The views it as an existential Yeah. Yeah, your ego views that as an existential threat. And then that's kind of where a lot of that need to do stuff and to fill stuff and to think and to want comes from is because if you are simply present and be that part of your psychologistic to a Cartola is like I'm gonna die. And that's that's so. I just I like to love this show so much because he's like, Okay, what have we had the Shadows who are completely aligned with that, like give, give, give, take, take, take give, give, give, take, take take, feel the void, fill the void, and then the Vorlon and by extension, Jack the fucking Ripper, who is not I have learned his lesson who is the opposite of that pretty much, which is just okay, now, be well.
Speaker 5: Because if someone came and said to him eight hundred years ago, five hundred years ago, I mean not.
Speaker 4: From us from that show, yeah, from the show.
Speaker 5: If they said, you know fours, I guess who are you four hundre years ago, he would say, I'm Jack the Ripper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and chosen by God to give them whatever in the show, Like that's what he said he was doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and then here he says that's basically not who he is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, he's like, I'm not even Sebastian.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's really ah, it's really interesting. Hello, Okay, except it's really interesting.
Speaker 7: I like, yeah, it's this whole idea of like, yeah, we spend all of this time trying to like define ourselves. We define ourselves by our past and our future and like not really by our present. We like don't actually live our lives being focused on like where we are in this moment in time. And then like so we actually like miss most of our lives because we're either using stories from the past or like having anxieties about the future or thinking that the future is going to bring us some level of happiness or fulfillment that we are working toward, as opposed to actually like experiencing the totality of our lives and really like it's once we are no body and no thing that we stop because the past and the future don't exist technically, I mean, like they're not happening now, and like the past is not in actually informing the present in any particular way. It's like the stories and pain bodies that you introduce to it. So it's like and the future will not bring you happiness, the happiness, like the full total peace and fulfillment that you think it's going to, because there will always be problems, Like there will always be things or like future things to think about or worry about. So it's like the only way that you will ever actually know peace is if you experience it now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you learn how to experience it.
Speaker 7: Is it now in every moment, even when you are suffering, because if you are just using the past future to inform what's happening, you're only increasing your own suffering.
Speaker 6: And like that's insane and isn't.
Speaker 5: That in part the definition of enlightenment I think? So you know, is the like the recognition of like just just being I'm I'm gonna I'm gonna.
Speaker 6: Sell you a budget. It's okay to be wrong.
Speaker 7: That's okay, Lama, and I just worried about about being after having read one chapter of a book, you know how much I just got it gets so much comment that book everyone you don't understand. And the next what you read is you read on the Soul. That's the next one. Okay, it's so good. No, it's so good.
Speaker 3: And my therapist told me to read. I got to read.
Speaker 6: I learned how like.
Speaker 5: I've also been sick for a week and happen I'm totally still in fever dream states.
Speaker 4: So good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it's ant that like nothing matters, so everything matters, and that like you aren't you're you're nobody and no thing. You are like the universe experiencing life, right, Like you're a piece of the universe experiencing life.
Speaker 6: So it's like you actually.
Speaker 7: It's like you're your feel you kind of like are observing your own life as if you're in a movie.
Speaker 6: You kind of are like.
Speaker 7: You, you understand this true self exists behind all of that, behind the ego, behind the mind, it's like a third party observer that you kind of like tap into and kind of observe yourself experiencing your own life.
Speaker 3: But you're also extremely connected to it at the same time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's not like a compartmentalization thing or like a dissociation thing.
Speaker 6: It's like.
Speaker 3: You're not there's nothing between you and experiencing your life. Yes, yes, yes, yeah, you're like you're not. You're not constantly thinking about everything like this.
Speaker 6: This is just like that time.
Speaker 3: I should say this, I should really probably make sure and I got to remember to cross my legs and I gotta tune my body. You're not doing any of that. You're not worried about what people think about you. You're not worried about anything. You're just kind of there. Do you kind of just exist because you're going to be there anyway. Really lovely, it's good.
Speaker 7: And it's really lovely, and like I'm where it's a frequency I can I find and then lose and then find in the lose forever. But like it's it's great when I have it.
Speaker 6: It's like.
Speaker 7: It's so nice. It's so nice. It's the best because you just you realize nothing matters.
Speaker 3: You're just like oh like, but in a good way again, like with with with with Sebastian. You can read a lot of the stuff he says as dismissive and negative and nihilistic and pessimism, like who are you? You know? Who do you? Why do you think you matter? You just dada dada, You're a nail? All this stuff. You can read it as defeatist.
Speaker 6: But all the nails in the house matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's not like be content with being a nail. That's not the thing necessarily is like give up your dreams. It's not the point. But the point is hard to hard to encapsulate in less than an hour of screen time, I guess. But the point is whatever you're doing is important.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the idea that, like what your thought was the pinnacle of importance or the thing the role that people would point to and say that was the lynchpin that was the important thing could be very different than what you're expecting, right, And by being here and being committed and being present, you are adding to it in the way that you need to be adding to it.
Speaker 7: It's like, if you think about it, right, like most people, most people, and this is not to make people sad, but most people after a few generations, Like I don't know my great grandparents' name. I do, I know, I know their names, but I don't know their parents' names off the top of my head. Right, But I am the totality of all of their choices, right like each of us is the the conglomeration of all of the choices of every single person in our lineage that came before us. Right, So it's like every person's choices do matter, because it's like everyone matters.
Speaker 3: Every Yeah, everything that came before informs what is happening now, and everything that's happening now informs what's happening. Like we talked about this on Wheel Takes four Youth three years ago, two three years ago, where we were talking about like you're not gonna don't be remembered, blah blah blah, and I started ranting about how much I hate business school and because they, you know, and I pointed over there, I said, I don't know who came there was a coffee machine over there. I said, I don't know who invented coffee filters. I use them every day. They matter to me. I don't know who designed this particular coffee filter. They may or may not be alive anymore. I use it every day. It matters to me, you know, like I don't know who built my house. It's important to me, Like, yeah, there are jokes that people probably came up with three hundred years ago that have filtered into today's parlance and everybody uses them as people who invented words and you never knew about it. And that's I started. Boss.
Speaker 5: Sorry, very important, I said, I started, Boss started. That's the Boss before anybody anyway.
Speaker 3: I believe, I believe everything matters.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry we've been we got excited about that. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: To bring it back to like the Lane of Babylon five, we've got these two questions, Uh, what do you want?
Speaker 1: And who are you?
Speaker 2: And I'm just gonna point somebody out that like was maybe giddy the first time we went through this.
Speaker 1: Because it's like, oh, yeah, cool.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remember when Jeff was in the Triangle place in the Mimbari ship getting tortured.
Speaker 3: Ask who are you?
Speaker 1: What? He was yelling at them because he was like, who are you?
Speaker 4: What do you want?
Speaker 2: Because he didn't know why he was being tortured and it was literally echoing in the room, like you guys started dancing to it because it was like, who are you?
Speaker 1: What do you want? Who are you?
Speaker 2: What do you want?
Speaker 1: This was going over.
Speaker 3: Should watched that again? See what else? He asked?
Speaker 8: Yeah, cool, that's where am I?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 4: Who are you?
Speaker 6: What do you want? Yeah? I think? I mean how those are the two kinds of questions.
Speaker 2: Again in the notes, one of the things that jamis people must have asked about it multiple times because he answers it several times, So I'm going to get lost and trying to find it. But he talks about how who are you is an important question to answer before you answer the question.
Speaker 3: What do you want?
Speaker 2: Because if you answer what do you want? First, it's going to be Okay, what the fuck?
Speaker 4: HOLI?
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 6: That was just really struck me as very true in that moment. I'm very sorry I was in a voluntary that was so true. That was insane? How true that hit for me? No, not at all.
Speaker 7: Definitely have not been experiencing a profound spiritual awakening this entire year. Definitely have not had my entire nervous system burned to the ground and re animate.
Speaker 6: It's great, it was deeply painful.
Speaker 3: Anyways, you know he's right about that. You do want to know who you are before you ask what.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because if you are not fully integrated and fully aware of yourself, you have the power to project all kinds of bullshit onto other people that you don't mean to make. You can make your and other people's lives so much worse. Like, much of the problems that exist today are from people who don't under fully encapsulate self awareness and awareness of others.
Speaker 3: Just shadow projecting all over the fla walking.
Speaker 7: Battle projecting all over the fucking place, all over everyone. It's very rude to everyone else who's just trying to live. We do not ask to be covered in their shadow projection bullshit, Like, how many times have you received this energy from someone where you're like, I didn't. That is not about me, and I don't know where that's coming from. But that is not about me. That is not accurate. That is not an accurate story. And it's like, yeah, that's because that person has a part of themselves that they are telling stories about that you have just randomly become a player in like, and that's why bullshit happens.
Speaker 3: Every negative YouTube comment. Just shit.
Speaker 7: If you have left negative YouTube comment that shadow projection, fix yourself.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's a show that I really like called A Crazy Ex Girlfriend, and there's just this one random song. I can't remember what season, but it's just this girl singing. Everybody's like projecting stuff onto her and she sings a song. I feel like, this isn't about me. It's not like a Bastinva song. It's so great it's not.
Speaker 7: And the minute that you realize that, the more at piece you feel. I mean, unless if you actually did fuck up some which as possible, which is which you also have to do your own inner work to find out how you might be unintentionally fucking with other people. That's the thing is, it's not just about like going, oh, well, most stuff's not about me.
Speaker 6: It's like it also very much could be.
Speaker 7: You must investigate yourself and then understand how like that also might be other people rejecting onto you.
Speaker 6: It can be both, and it can be both at the same time.
Speaker 7: That's the other thing that you have to understand is like we're all bumping into each other's wounds all the time by accident. If you are unaware of yourself, unaware of the world, unaware of other people suffering, you can cause suffering in your wake all over the fucking place.
Speaker 3: Which is why Cash was like, we should make sure that this lady's on the level and she's not going in there with all of her ego. And I don't mean ego in a negative sense. I mean literally identity and self importance and gonna just go in there and blast her shit all over the map. She's gotta go in there and be like it and about me. That was the point from the beginning.
Speaker 6: It didn't her it is, which I didn't.
Speaker 3: Where he came from, by the way, because in season one she was like, I'm going to do this transformation and I'm going to put myself through these things and I'm there, I'm going to stay on Babylon five and me, me, me, me me, And that's fine. She was right, because but she was doing these things from a self sacrificing perspective. But I also understand why he would be kind of like, hmmm, do you want to be in the history books? Is that why we're doing this? Is that?
Speaker 7: And it's like, don't we all a little bit want to be important? Of course, of course we want to be important. Of course we want to matter to people. Of course. Of course, of course I have thought extensively. I've spent hours of my life wondering if I matter to people.
Speaker 6: I've spent so much.
Speaker 7: Time wanting to matter, wondering if I matter to certain people, getting all caught up in my bullshit about whether or not somebody gives a shit about me, Like, and you know what, it wasn't particular, it's not particularly productive, it's not particularly helpful.
Speaker 6: It's like that is something I have zero control.
Speaker 7: Over, zero, Like yeah, and it's and it's not the reason to do anything, Like you don't.
Speaker 6: This is the thing about relationships.
Speaker 7: You don't do something for someone in the hopes that then you will matter to them. That's like, oh weird, let's say, but you do at the same time, like like that's a natural impulse to like want to connect with someone, want them to like you, so you like do a bunch of self sacrificing bullshit.
Speaker 6: What are you doing? Why are you looking at? Okay? Is this is this hitting something for you?
Speaker 3: No, I'm thinking about your car.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I did want to talk about your car anyway, I.
Speaker 6: Was, I was, I have zero ego about this, but just.
Speaker 5: But I do want to say one more thing about de Lenne, because I get I get what you're saying about I'm glad, like I'm glad Cosh was checking in and making sure this isn't just about glory in your own way. And I suppose on one level, yeah, I mean like I get that. But Delenne has consistently not just spoken of, but demonstrated she's from the religious cast whose entire identity is about service to others and.
Speaker 4: About the greater.
Speaker 5: Good, and went through this transformation and has been getting herself not well received for such lost you know, is considered an outcast among our own people, doesn't fit in with the other people.
Speaker 4: Like so, I'm just.
Speaker 5: When you were like, you know, like we want to make sure you don't have any ego, and I'm like, what the fuck ego? Do you have cash that you can't see that everything Delenne has done to this point but has been selfless.
Speaker 3: Yes, but yes, but it's been selfless and not by any fault of her own in a public sphere, very publicly in.
Speaker 5: A public sphere, and and doing the thing that she we know she values highest and so like that's the thing too.
Speaker 3: It's true clearly you know she was being selfless and I had no real concern that she wasn't. But I also you know, like there are people who are like publicly very very giving and very very and then they go home and they go to their family and they're like I saved so and so today.
Speaker 6: You know, and like, are you talking about anybody in particular?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not getting into that. But it's not me. It's absolutely not.
Speaker 6: I know it is.
Speaker 3: I can guarantee you they're not watching. Oh we know they're not. And so uh, people, there are people who it doesn't diminish the good that they do, no, still doing good, but just you know, there's there's the question, doesn't make them bad people?
Speaker 1: Well, there's people looking for aljaml.
Speaker 7: It's from It's that their ego, Yes, it's yeah, it's that their ego is tied up in for being perceived as good. And like that's not that doesn't the gate the good, but it is still ego. Like ego doesn't have to look bad.
Speaker 6: That's the thing.
Speaker 7: It's not necessarily an inherently bad thing. It's just that if you are not aware of your ego, right, if you are not bringing your awareness. The death comes from awareness of the ego and like what your bullshit is, and it's like and then you go like, oh, that's not really who I am, and you can but it also is, so you can like bring awareness to it and allow it to kind of fall away and then like that feels awful.
Speaker 3: It feels awful with the Jakar. Before I forget the your car, the jak is telling to me that this episode was juxtaposed against an episode where Jakar insisted that he remained in control of the resistance. Yeah, because I also think he is right. He is the best person for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that and the Bruce wants him in that PO.
Speaker 3: Wants him there too.
Speaker 1: I don't want a new person.
Speaker 2: I am just realized I'm cognizant of the time and I'm a little because I know, Gus, you might.
Speaker 3: I did just check out what they landed. My dad just texted me we're on the ground.
Speaker 1: I saw that.
Speaker 2: That was actually why I thought, because I saw you text on your phone. So before you go, I do want to discuss your theories.
Speaker 3: Yes, we can do that. This was such a good, goddamn episode. I could talk about this literally all night.
Speaker 1: I know, I want to get to these before you go, So you had to.
Speaker 2: You had two theories that you had posted in our chat.
Speaker 1: One of them was Delenne secret telepath.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was before we learned that Evanava was a secret telepath. I don't know how many secret telepaths we're going to have. But when Tully I looked at Mordan, I almost said, when Tully looked at Mordan, everything got real dark in the face zone. And Elen looked at Mordon, everything got real dark in the face zone. Delenn is also repeatedly spoken highly about how Minbari treat their telepaths, and she is also quite well appreciated and venerated among the Minbari. Possible she might have some telepathic ability. However, we have never heard any indication from Csycor or from Talia or from I guess Ivanav even that she would have that. So I haven't no other evidence other than what was going on with Morden.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then your other theory.
Speaker 3: Do you remember Cauto is an angel?
Speaker 1: Yell?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, because it's such a weird, why do you never take off your suit? Every who would recognize you everyone, And so I said, okay, well, maybe Vorlon's are like the prototypical stereotypical image of angels with all.
Speaker 6: The eyes and stuff.
Speaker 3: The wings accurate, one of the wings, because they're they're the shoulder pads look like wings from behind, they do. And I was like, well, maybe a lot of different cultures have similar imagery surrounding celestial beings or divine beings and it's angels.
Speaker 6: Because they said they've been everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yes, because that's what Worlons look like. Is the Vorlons look like prototypical angels.
Speaker 2: And they said that this episode. You're right, they said that this episode.
Speaker 3: And so the reason why he can't take off his suit is because he'd just be a big fucking winged dude walking around and everybody like, that's an angel, and everybody would agree that was an angel.
Speaker 6: Well, also, also, did you say anything else?
Speaker 7: If I remember correctly, Like, isn't it one of those things where well, there's certain cultures where like the angels, if you see them, it's like to like it's too divine, And.
Speaker 3: I mean that's literally.
Speaker 1: Angel shows up. The very first thing is they say is.
Speaker 7: Like settled out too much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, quaking quaking.
Speaker 6: Also, oh one more thing, Okay, oh this is like this is just like a quake thing. It's like.
Speaker 7: Totally about how like when like somebody is bothering you or somebody like there's it's just conflict or whatever.
Speaker 6: You look at that person because he's like he's.
Speaker 3: Like, this sounds grim, but it's not.
Speaker 7: He's like simultaneously, he's like, you recognize the divinity in each person. Like he's like, you are a piece of the divine, Like even the person that cut you off in traffic, you're a piece of the divine, and also recognize the humanity in them, the fact that we're all going to die, and you just go like yeah, And weirdly, I cannot tell you how much piece it gives me. Every time I like someone's annoying me in some way, I just go, you, I recognize the divinity in you and also the fact that we're all going to die.
Speaker 6: So none of this really.
Speaker 3: Matters, you know what we just started saying. Whenever somebody's driving like an asshole and like cutting up, it makes.
Speaker 6: Me feel better every time.
Speaker 3: We go maybe they just really got a pool.
Speaker 6: Just really out to take a shit. It's just you know is an emergency.
Speaker 1: I don't drive anymore because I live in South Korea.
Speaker 2: But one of the things I used to do and I would get because I get, I get really angry when I'm driving if people do rude things is I would tell myself a story about them. Yeah, be like, hey day, you had to do a report today and their boss got really mad at them, and then they young.
Speaker 1: I just tell myself a long It makes you so much.
Speaker 5: They have to take a ship, say they're on their way to deliver a baby, but I like gotta poop no.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I used to say deliver baby.
Speaker 3: That's a guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Now the ship one's even funnier, Like she just cracks. You can't help it. You're like, that's funny.
Speaker 4: I would come up.
Speaker 1: I would come up with elaborate narratives about each of them.
Speaker 3: Well, let's better story for everyone.
Speaker 1: It would occupy my mind while I was getting angry.
Speaker 3: Oh Ver, before we leave vera talk.
Speaker 6: About we're gonna do something with forgiveness.
Speaker 3: Y'all gonna keep talking before I leave.
Speaker 7: We're gonna do something with forgiveness. I'm gonna tell you that right now. We're not gonna leave it there. The power of forgiveness is important.
Speaker 6: It's important.
Speaker 2: His his reflex and after running away was I'm sorry. Do you remember how hard it was for Londo to say I'm sorry to the what's his face? The magic guy? The technomage?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and London and Londo's.
Speaker 2: Apology to apology to the Technomage was like it was. It was basically a modern apology and well, if you're offended by anything that I did, I am sorry for the feelings that you are feeling.
Speaker 1: And but like it was not where vere was just like straight up I'm sorry. Sorry.
Speaker 7: I really struggle with people who can't apologize.
Speaker 6: I really struggle with that. Like I just.
Speaker 7: I recognize that people are often taught not to apologize, and that is a journey that they are on, but I feel that there is very little that cannot be resolved with a genuine apology.
Speaker 3: Londo also, though, is really tied up an ego and identity and how people receive him in his role in society, and fear is not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like what strength means, and you know how strength is perceived.
Speaker 3: And and he views himself as a servant to the centaury to an extent, but he also like, I mean the technic was holding the technod He's like, I follow, he wants people to want people to kind of worship him. He wants people to venerate him. He wants to have renown and glory. He wants all of these things that are indefinable. And the same thing as Jakar was talking to yeah, yeah, and Jaikar talking to people on the on the zocal where he's like, you think they're not gonna come for you next, the same thing. It's his undefinable need for glorious, undefinable need for for for veneration or what whatever.
Speaker 2: Ver isn't like.
Speaker 3: That, I mean Vera's Vere has been putting up a front to Londo on and off for a long time from from the Coming of Shadows, I think. And yeah, I made a comment in the episode, I said, this apology is for Vere to an extent, but it's also but it's also like, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, what else is in a situation like what else do you do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's literally I have to acknowledge, like and in the words i'm sorry, is an acknowledgment we I am wrong.
Speaker 6: That you suffered? Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what I like about this moment too, especially in considering like I don't mean, we're a part of a country where I personally don't endorse most of what's happening in our country right now. Personally, I mean, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm not American, so I will just yeah, uh yeah. And there are other countries that are doing things that I'm sure have civilians in them that don't endorse what's happening. And it's like, yeah, even like big groups of people are not a monolith there. I like that there's humanity in like even the oppressors, because I feel like there's often this thing where it's like all the oppressors are bad and all of the victims are good, and it's like, yeah, nothing is a monolith, right, Nothing is a monolith. Like there can be people who are part of an oppressive class that look to correct things or feel bad about it or genuinely are like not on on board.
Speaker 6: That's possible. It's harder, but it's possible.
Speaker 7: Like, and I like that Veer exists because it's like, let's let's bring some nuance to ship, like that the centauri are not all monsters is an important thing, and even the ones who are acting monstrously are kind of questioning their decision making.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're.
Speaker 7: Like it's like, are you when are you going to turn back from this? Like at what point? At what point is the cost so high you have to keep going?
Speaker 3: Refa is a piece of ship though. Fuck that guy.
Speaker 7: We can have, We can have and then have like because I feel like oftentimes they're all refunded.
Speaker 3: Refu Londo, that guy from a couple episodes ago, veer exactly right now.
Speaker 4: The Emperor the Emperor here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, es so like, yeah, I just feel like it's nice to see some nuance to that situation. It's nice to see like yeah, because I just feel like a lot of the time, you know, it's it's like, this is the monster group monsters.
Speaker 6: All of them, including the children, are all monsters.
Speaker 7: Yeah, drags are all evil, And I'm like, I have never once encountered a group of people where everyone is just evil. Like it just doesn't it doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: I have to leave. Do you want to see anything else you want from me? Right before we leave?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you one thing just before you leave us, because it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Uh, And we could keep talking after this.
Speaker 2: They in England, they cut the scene where Jakar cuts his hand, so people were really confused if it's just for violence, they they censored it. They snipped the shot and slicing his hand. This is un quoting JMS. You're kidding. I find that quite astonishing. It was done very districtly, discreetly.
Speaker 1: I'm dumbfounded. No wonder there was confusion about that scene.
Speaker 3: That's pretty funny. That's kind of an important scene and incredibly moving and Andres consulas should win a million awards every episode show.
Speaker 2: What they would have shown in England was just him suddenly holding his hand up with blood dripping.
Speaker 5: So yeah, and they're like, did you just strangle somebody?
Speaker 3: That's silly anyway.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, this is a really good episode.
Speaker 3: I really like my buddy.
Speaker 6: I just yeah, what an interesting Yeah, I just uh yeah.
Speaker 2: I really liked the choices that they made in that elevator scene to sit on it for so long, like, yeah, let us see Year's initial because it shows the to me, his initial fear and running away from Jakar made his eventual standing and looking in the eye while he apologized feel so much more if he had just immediately turned and been like I'm sorry. It wouldn't have felt as much. But you saw him steel himself.
Speaker 5: Because I mean I was, I was enjoying him looking out the non windows. I thought that was really quite fun. But yeah, like what do you do? Where do you go? What do you look at? How do you not engage?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 7: Because apologizing, apologizing when you know you have something to apologize to or to is a deeply vulnerable act.
Speaker 6: I will not pretend like it's not.
Speaker 7: It's a deeply vulnerable act because it opens you up to all kinds of reactions right, like at the same time, definitely a necessary thing to do, yes, and it h you like, yeah, it's it's everything. It's everything, the ability to apologize, especially especially when you've done something like or when you're a part of something that is actively so harmful.
Speaker 6: Like, I know it's uncomfortable.
Speaker 7: And like it's scary because you don't know how people are going to receive it, But it's so much better than not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna try and say this without talking about Wheel time so people don't get upset. But there was I was having a conversation with someone about character in the Wheel of Time that I at a certain point I am no longer I still am rooting for her, but I'm not on her side anymore. And it's just because I want her to say I'm sorry. That's the I just want her to say I'm sorry because she hurt people. And a friend of mine response was why you need we need less women apologizing? It was like, why, first of all, what a typically? What we need is more men apology. Apologizing is not a sign of weakness.
Speaker 6: No, no sign of strength strength. It's that's what this.
Speaker 2: Scene showed to me. It's a sign of the big technical energy that be your hands.
Speaker 7: What makes me insane is that we have equated things that are strong with weakness in a way that makes me the ability to feel strength always, the kind heartedness strength always, like imagine going The kindest people I know are the people who have gone through the most ship. They're always the kindest fucking people I've ever met in my life.
Speaker 6: Because why do you want to make your life worse?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Duh?
Speaker 5: The apologizing thing is interesting, So we but but it is interesting. So we initially on little Ellen and I'm wearing my Ellen shirt today.
Speaker 4: We you know, we we we did. We had sort of a.
Speaker 5: My writing team and I my writing team came to me because Okay, I am a classic I'm an over apologizer. And then I've been called on it some time. Yeah, and you're Canadian, so and I might as well be Canadian. I'd like grew up right across the Canadian border, so like, you know, and I'm an overapologizer by far, and so I and I got called out at it. I remember when I went to Denmark when I was fourteen and I was living with my Danish family, and I my Danish mom, I kept saying like, oh, I'm sorry, like for everything. I mean, I mean okay, and I just spent a week being sick and apologizing for being sick. And David was like, if you say sorry one more time, you're gonna have.
Speaker 4: Something to be sorry for our lady.
Speaker 5: You know, he never actually say that, but you know, so I'm a classic overapologizer and I apologize and too much. So my Danish mom after I said it like five times in a row, like oh, I'm sorry, like I bumped into the wall and said I'm sorry, like I don't know, it was just stupid, and she was like Jennifer, and I was using it in Danish. I was saying in Danish school, and she was like, stop step stop. That is not how we use that word here. It means nothing if you say it constantly. And it was this really wonderful like wake up call for me of like, oh, apologizing to say like, oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but everything is like makes it meaningless. And she was like, say you're sorry when you fucking do something wrong. She didn't say fucking say you're sorry when you do something wrong. Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody's feelings. Say you're sorry when you like, when you break something, even if it's an accident. Sure, say you're sorry. Don't say you're sorry for things that aren't important, because it diminishes what it means it has value, which I thought was such a great lesson. I'm still an overapologizer, but I'm much better than I was at fourteen.
Speaker 6: I must say with that, I'm business say thank you.
Speaker 4: Ud and so on. Little Ellen.
Speaker 5: You know, me still being an overapologizer and me being a woman's showrunner and one of the first womens showrunners at Warner Brothers Animation, found myself sometimes apologizing when I probably shouldn't have, and my two young women writers on my on my writing team writing staff, who are very good friends of mine, were just like Jennifer stopp fucking apologizing. They did say, fucking is it stop apologizing? You are not allowed to say say you're sorry, like because I was saying it for things again that were just sort of like either not my fault or not in my control. And and they were like, you shouldn't. You don't need to apologize for that, or if I would ask them to do something, they're just like why he was apologizing, Like that's our job. And so that like it became a balance. And then we had we had a show with three kids, two girls and a boy. This is I'm getting to a point and they were like, how about we have a rule where because you know, and I would write sorry into a script, and they were like, she doesn't need to say sorry for that. She didn't do anything wrong, Like that's not something to apologize for, she didn't do anything wrong, Like, so let's let's make a rule that not like none of the girls on the show are like saying sorry, you know. Like so it was kind of in the beginning of the show kind of a rule of like making sure, we weren't writing that into scripts. And then a little bit later I was like, you know, like, sorry, there's a loud coughing coming from the.
Speaker 6: Other don't say sorry.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I did didn't I I literally I just did it.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: So a little bit later into the season, we were like, we need a show that's about an apology, that's about how to apologize, And so we wrote a whole show that was about like a little Ellen taking like potshots at her friends, like sort of for the fun to like get a laugh because she was practicing out of comedy skills, but she was doing it really badly and saying things that were hurtful and mean and then had to yeah, and then had to have her apologize to them. And so the whole episode, like I mean, and I did like such a great deep dive into psychology and like, really, what is an apology? What is what makes a good apology? What makes it important? And I was like I'm going to write it in like I want this to be in there. I want this to be the lesson episode that teaches people why apologizing is strength and important and how to do it in a meaningful way that actually means something and isn't just lip service anyway. That's a really long ass story.
Speaker 7: I've been thinking a lot about apologizing because I am also an overapologizer, have been called out for it, had friends do an intervention where they're like, you need to like understand that, like you're not doing anything wrong, Like when when there's something to apologize for, we'll let you know, and like that was nice. At the same time, and I've been thinking a lot about overexplaining and like the need to be understood, and I think I think it's this thing of like there's a line that gets crossed where it becomes and it attempts to control things, to like control how people see you, you know what I mean, Where it's like your attempts at repair and your attempts at like it's the delend thing.
Speaker 6: It's like why are you doing it?
Speaker 7: Are you doing it because you genuinely feel bad or because you're trying to control the outcome of this interaction before you even have any evidence that there's anything to control. It's like your brain is scanning for threats in advance, and so you need to like like take control of the situation and over explain or overapologize for yourself when like no one is needing or asking for you to do that.
Speaker 6: It's a fawning response.
Speaker 7: Right, And it attempts to like ingratiate yourself with people so that you are not exposed in any way, so that you are not uncomfortable in any way, so you don't actually have to genuinely feel bad. It's an attempt to like alleviate discomfort in advance for yourself. And it's like, discomfort is not necessarily bad. That's the thing about apologies, genuine apologies.
Speaker 6: It's like it's.
Speaker 7: Uncomfortable, but it should be not But yeah, but it's discomfort isn't bad. Discomfort is not a threat. Like anxiety comes from the inability to sit in discomfort.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because you viewed discomfort as a threat. Yeah, So like that's what I've.
Speaker 7: Been working on in myself, is like because at first, I was like, what's wrong with over explaining, Like isn't it good to make sure that everybody understands where you're coming from? And it's like, well yeah, but like at a certain point it takes your or oh, it's so much emotional labor that is not asked for and it's not really about them and making sure that their feelings are good. It's about controlling their perception of you, which is just as bad as not just as bad. It's different bad. Let's not say bad. It's a different issue then, but not dissimilar issue for being someone who can't apologize because you're again trying to control how people see you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true, it's true.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It comes from a desire to control the outcome of a social situation so that you're not left feeling uncertain and uncomfortable.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the apology thing.
Speaker 2: As a Canadian, I actually have had to explain to my Korean friends that when I say I'm sorry, I don't mean like the Korean version, which is miyanada. I like, if I mean nyandada, which is like I apologize or I'm sorry. I will say it in Korean. I'm not going to say it in English because when I say I'm sorry, I literally just mean a bad thing happened. Like that's that's what it means, a bad thing happened. And now I will say the bad thing like you know, somebody's coughing in the other room, I would say a bad thing happened. A person is coughing in the other room, like that's that's what it means. It doesn't mean anything, and then I'm okay, but then why do you Like, I don't know, I can't explain it. It's just language is stupid and weird. But bringing it back to the show, like that's I just really like that scene takes time, and it takes the time in that in that moment to see the whole emotional journey that Vier goes on, and I.
Speaker 6: It sits in the discomfort. It's the most discomfort.
Speaker 5: And also Veer's I mean, you know, all truth be told, like yes, the only thing he can do is say I'm sorry and offer his personal apology, which is wrapped up with condolences on that like on some level, but it's also like it's it's just like, how do you he Also, this is what's so beautiful about that performance. He knows that he could he could literally just let his veins and like and just bleed out on the floor and it would not in sufficient be sufficient for what has happened, and that Jaikar, the depth of what that apology is trying to represent, the depth of what he's apologizing for, is unknowable. And so it is a it's that is really clear in that moment as well, because it's not like sorry, Jakar, I told him the locker, your locker combination and your your gym clothes not stolen. You know, it's so much more than that, and it's it's a beautiful scene and says a lot about Stephen Firth.
Speaker 7: I've had some really and I won't go into what, but I've had some like pretty dark stuff happen in my life.
Speaker 6: And like I've talked about this before, where.
Speaker 7: I just I think about it and I'm like, I would so much rather have had it happen to me than live my life being a person that did those things, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Like I think about that a lot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like, yeah, I think about those people a lot, and I think about them and I go, like, what a burden to carry for the rest of your life, because you if you've done something to someone where you know, sorry, is is it insufficient action?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: That is so hard to live now, Listen, they did they still did that thing, so like you know, on the one hand, like, yeah, I hope they think about it, and I hope they live with it, and well, let it up.
Speaker 6: But I sit here and I go.
Speaker 7: If I had to pick, and like, if there's two shitty scenarios in this case, ah fuck, like having to sit with being on the side of stuff where you're like, sorry, he doesn't cut it, but I'm going to try anyway.
Speaker 6: Damn. Like damn.
Speaker 7: Like that's the thing to carry. It's a thing to carry, and you carry it for the like if you are not a monster, you carry that shit for the rest of your life. Like you can shadow project and make some fucking terrible decisions, and then as you grow up and learn, then you have to circle back to that thing and sit with it and stay with the fact that you hurt people.
Speaker 5: You're right, you're right, But you just said if you're not a monster, and I just want to bring that. I want to like, I want to jump on that because we're talking about the episode of Jack the Ripper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 5: I don't think he has redeemed himself. I don't think he's not a monster by the end of this. You know, he's like, I've been inservited to them for vote under ideas, and yet he's also like I thought I was driven, My god, I thought I had a purpose.
Speaker 4: And and his.
Speaker 5: He's not, he's he hasn't convinced himself that he's not. He doesn't think he's a monster. Like I don't think that he thinks that he's not, Like I was this horrible person, and I'm so grateful to the Vorlans for rescuing me and setting me straight. Because he's and because even in the last moment when he's like saying, you know, when when Shardan figures out who he was and he's like, good luck on you, a quist, you know, because he's still kind of like my quest was holy too.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just I don't see that he's like sorry, I don't see that he's come to terms with that. I think he is a monster. So I think when you're saying like Ali, when you're saying like I, you'd rather be the person who's had something happened to them rather than the person who committed the all those crimes and all those things, unless you're a monster. I think he's still a monster. And I don't think he does have the level of depth of understanding of that. I'm not sure that Jack does. I think other people do.
Speaker 9: Hope.
Speaker 4: It's that interesting thing of like many.
Speaker 6: I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It's so funny.
Speaker 7: I cut sometimes sometimes I'll be like grappling with something and then it comes up on the show. I'm like, it's so weird, or like I'll be or it'll come up in wheel of time, or I'll be like working on it in acting class somehow or whatever.
Speaker 6: It's like, it's so weird.
Speaker 7: But like, I've been thinking a lot about like people who do things, to do objectively bad things, and it's like the fact that one of the hard things as somebody who has had objectively difficult things happen, is not knowing the impact of that on another, on the person that did it to you, the people like your community, that kind of stuff, like you don't know, you don't get You don't get to know whether they sit up at night thinking about it. You don't get to know if it visits the highlight reel of bad stuff you've done in your life. You don't know if they even remember it sometimes right right, And like you don't get to control that, And it's like you don't get to control what happens, and you don't get to control like whether they reflect or how they reflect or how they make amends to or whether they do or like. But this man has theoretically been punished for four hundred years, right by the Vorlns. How much time do we at what point are we like? He has been suffered enough, even if he hasn't reflected.
Speaker 6: We know, we don't know punishment.
Speaker 5: His punishment is to go around and interview people, is to find out if they are worthy, And he says, I've literally done this gazillion times and I have not found anybody yet who was worthy.
Speaker 7: His punishment is that, over and over and over again, he has to re experience his own falsehoods for four hundred years, I guess, over and over and over again he threw other people, well intentioned people. Gets to re experience his own delusional thinking and have it thrown back in his face for four hundred years, over and over and over again. He gets to see himself and his delusional bullshit reflected in other people over and over and again.
Speaker 5: What you're saying, which is yes, I get what you're saying. And if he is a.
Speaker 7: Until he finally finds someone who's the real deal, who's exactly what he isn't, That's why he's bitter at the end. Yeah, okay, because Jeff is everything what of John's everything?
Speaker 3: He's not.
Speaker 6: He finally gets.
Speaker 7: Who he thought he was right and the real deal of it all and it and has to live with the fact that that's not him. Yeah, he did monstrous things thinking that he was right, and he he gets to highlight reel over and over again how stupid and like deluded he was for four hundred years, then gets to see who the actual real deal is everything that he is not.
Speaker 3: M hm.
Speaker 6: He just he still sounds like it sucks to me, and.
Speaker 2: I mean it doesn't seem like a love and you know, he's referring to it as unpleasant, so I'm going to assume that it's not. He's not enjoying himself, but he does still feel really wrapped up in his like, yeah, I was chosen by God to like kill a bunch of people in London. Oh wait, no, now I was chosen by the Vorlon to find the like he's still.
Speaker 5: Seen torture people into into finding them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well he's uniquely suited to it. He's a violent person.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's exactly.
Speaker 7: Like I just said this today on the Wheel of Time podcast. I was like our on Wheel Takes. I was like, you know, people who become torturers are probably not.
Speaker 6: Inherently like the nicest people in the world.
Speaker 7: I'm going to be honest about that, Like not to offend the torturers out there. I'm sure many of them listen, but you know, I'm just gonna say that that doesn't seem like a career path that attracts like the most morally upstanding human beings. Yeah, Like, I'm not They're not going to go to John and be like, for four hundred years, we want you to torture people Like, they're gonna pick Jack the Ripper because he's gonna be good at it. He's gonna know what he's doing, and in recompense recompense in in return, he's also going to be punished for four hundred years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's kind of the perfect give in take. It's like, we know you have a unique set of skills. We know you are also a completely delusional human being and need to be reminded over and over again. Your soul at its base level, needs to be told over and over again what a fucking idiot you are. I don't like being called an idiot. Once let alone for four hundred years.
Speaker 1: I don't enjoy it.
Speaker 7: It's like I want the sweet release of death, is what he said. Yeah, how many people are like how much suffering do you have to go through before you're like, please let me die?
Speaker 6: And then you do that for four hundred years?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: That seems like and that just gets to us to a point where it's like, at what point has someone suffered enough for us for our satisfaction? At what point is someone doing some who has done something awful? At what point do they suffer enough? Are we like, you know what, We're good now? At what point, like are we going to be like, you know what, Londo, this makes up for all the shit you did. There isn't a way to repay all that cost. There isn't He could suffer for thousands of years and there's no way to repay the cost of what he did, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 7: At a certain point, do like you either have to I mean, forgiveness is done for you, not for the other person. I mean it's it's both. It's like but this is but at this.
Speaker 6: Place, like it's it's so you don't have to carry it anymore. They have to carry it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, so.
Speaker 2: I did want to just talk a little bit about what the Lens says at the end of the torture when he's like, you know, for this one person in the dark whatever, and then she but what about your cause? And she yells that this is my cause. My cause is life or a million, it doesn't matter, but that.
Speaker 7: I no, I mean yeah, I mean yeah, like it doesn't it's everyone's important.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's what it was waiting for her to say, Like I said, this is not an episode i'd seen, and so I didn't have like I didn't know where the lines are going. But that was like I just kept her wanting, wanting to hear her say it's sort of the the it doesn't matter how big or how small, because they keep talking about the great War, this big war is coming, like the war is coming, it's this big deal and like, you know, it's the you know, and the universe is at stake and whatever. I mean like that, you know, everybody's just like this is gonna be really big, this.
Speaker 4: Is a big thing.
Speaker 5: And her response of like, but every you know, every life matters, or if we're not, and I'm trying to like there's something else I have like that I've seen. It's something even you know, in recent media that I can't put my finger on, and maybe it's even real time, which I just know too well. But the idea being that if I can't save this one life next to me, like, then what does it matter about trying to save the entire galaxy or whatever.
Speaker 2: And it's literally a quote from the Tumut, whoever saves one life saves the world.
Speaker 1: That's a time quote.
Speaker 5: So mm hmm, yeah, yeah, yeah, well and it is a beautiful sentiment.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, well, I mean, I mean you even think about it just in terms of like our impact tends to not be like in this grand scale, right of like I'm a person who saved millions of people, right, Yeah, it's the impact that we tend to have tends to be in our immediate communities, like we build one house, we talk to one person. I was watching Zootopia too the other day, which is a profound film, and I will not be apologizing.
Speaker 6: For how much I love that movie.
Speaker 7: But like he literally the snake at one point literally says to Judy, He's like, who, I'm very Judy hops coded like I've always tried to, like, you know, do the most. And he just looks at her and he goes, my family has been trying to get this done for hundreds of years, and he goes, they would not want the like all of the all of that weight to be just on your shoulders, like nothing was meant to be on just one person's shoulders.
Speaker 6: We will succeed, Judy Hops. Yeah, And I say that to myself all the time.
Speaker 7: Now I just sit there and I go, we will succeed, Judy Hops, like it's I love that we will succeed. The difference that we make is largely like smiling at someone who needed someone to smile at them that day.
Speaker 6: That's that is, and we are not. And this is something that I always.
Speaker 7: Think about, is I'm like the coolest thing about like life, if if that was like a request I could make, is to know, like truly how much impact I had.
Speaker 6: I know, like, oh that person that like.
Speaker 7: You had that one brief interaction with that one time you never thought about them again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that like changed their lives, Like that would be so cool to know.
Speaker 5: It would be And I think it's and you have to know that you'll never know all the stories so that there are so many of those out there that you just and when you hear it from somebody, it'll be the smallest thing that you like that you're like, what I just all I said was cheese, you know whatever, I mean. It'll be something so seems so small and mundane to you that in the moment you didn't even think about it. It was just so authentic coming from you that had a massive impact on something. I just actually told a good friend of mine, a good friend of mine who I'm like, I don't I haven't seen her physically in thirty years, about twenty five years, but you know, we just had a zoom call with everybody. It was the first time I actually had zoom caller where that we've only been like texting for years and we don't text all the time, not very often. And I told her this thing that she that she did for David and I right before we got married that was so impactful for our wedding and that we tell the story all the time. And she was like, I don't even remember saying that, and I'm like, of course you don't, because it was so obvious and simple and authentic to you, and it had such an impact on us that it because she came to our pre wedding party in the West Coast. It had such an impact on this that it affected our actual wedding day in such a profound way and impacted how we experience things together in the future, like in our whole lives since then. And it is a story we tell that we tell to people who are getting married, like like a piece of advice kind of thing, and we tell them this story about how how we got this advice.
Speaker 4: And she was just like, I don't even remember doing it. I'm like, I bet you don't. Yeah, you know, yeah, it's really no.
Speaker 6: The idea is how we am no white people none. And it's like that's the thing is.
Speaker 7: It's like, yeah, you're impacting people all the time, like all the time, and you have no idea, Like I mean, I bet it's quite possible that the woman that you lived with who said that to you about apologies, like has no idea that she said that.
Speaker 6: Does not remember.
Speaker 7: Like it's possible she might not remember that abs And it made an impact on you that you're telling the story you were fourteen.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, well that's I just realized.
Speaker 5: And I'm always having now two years ago, when she's said that to me, you know, I mean.
Speaker 2: Somebody said, somebody said something like that to me when I was around middle school age. They complimented me on something, and I did that whole like, no, no, no, no, you realize you're insulting me because I complimented you and you are telling me that you don't like that thing. You've just insulted me. You've insulted my taste. And so like I was like, oh shit, oh my god, you're right. So now, like I I take compliments because of like a random thing.
Speaker 1: It was a woman at church. It was a woman at church who said that to me.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, yeah, no, when people compliment you, that's them saying a nice thing, and if.
Speaker 1: You deflect from it, you literally are saying, yeah, I think your taste is bad. Yeah, your tastes is sad.
Speaker 6: No, it's wild, it's wild.
Speaker 7: What like, yeah, what someone will say to you that just sticks with you for the rest of your day life.
Speaker 1: She was just an old lady who said that to me at church.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I remember it was.
Speaker 1: Like thirty five, because I was thirty.
Speaker 7: Reach out to I reach out to a former teacher of Bine recently and said to her, like, you don't remember this, probably, but you said something to me at a really pivotal time in my life that I still.
Speaker 6: Think about all the times of this day.
Speaker 7: And it was really cute, Like we had a cute little interaction on Facebook, and it was like it was so nice, and it had been wet like over a decade since I've seen her.
Speaker 4: It's really sweet.
Speaker 7: Yeah, truly, it's nice, Like, yeah, we have impacts on people all the time. We have no idea, like you have no idea, and like, and those are going to be the things that are going to be the most immediate like that, and you're never going You're probably not going to see most of your impact. And that's why it's like, no, every single person matters because they're all influencing and informing each other all the time.
Speaker 6: Our our like frequencies.
Speaker 7: Are project outside of our bodies, Like how we're doing that day, just walking by someone influences how that other person feels.
Speaker 6: Like we are like like.
Speaker 7: Fields of energy, always influencing each other all the time. So it's just like once you start to recognize that that, you're like, I have so much more power just in my little body than I think I do just in walking by somebody and being a good vibe, Like, that's huge because you could also I mean, how many times has someone ruined your fucking day and you don't even know their name?
Speaker 6: So many times?
Speaker 1: I'm sure I've done it to other people too.
Speaker 7: Like it I'm sure, and it's like you just you just then you just start to like kind of go Okay. Then one of the best things I can do for the world is try to be a vibe as much as possible. I'd be aware of myself enough to try to be a vibe like and not put all my bullshit on other people. Yeah, Like, it's it's really that simple, you know, I don't know, it's like that. That is one of the best things you can do right now. You can do today all the time. Like if you're feeling shitty about how the world is, you can literally look at yourself and go, like, what if I was just a vibe today and I made like the cashier and whole food smile.
Speaker 6: Great, you've done You've done good that day. You did a good job.
Speaker 7: Great, you made one person happy that for five seconds, Like, isn't that.
Speaker 4: Like what we're here to do mm hmm. So yeah, but.
Speaker 7: Or you could just be a drip that and a drain on people. That's fun too, I guess, like for about five minutes, Like what a waste of your time, their time and your life. Yeah, yeah, lets people do it.
Speaker 6: People choose that, why not? But like, I don't know, it seems like a waste, waste of time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so that's like, but that's a whole like the whole thing of like what de Lenne said to him, which he was like, I think that you're like this and lady, da da dad, And I was like, well, that's also quite presumptuous about somebody. Like we'll sometimes have people treat a shitaly and we'll just decide that person's a fucking awful person. And I'm like, all right, how many times have you accidentally been awful to somebody? Like never assume malice where ignorance could be explained.
Speaker 6: You have no idea feelings.
Speaker 1: She could assume some sort Well she didn't.
Speaker 6: End up finding out that.
Speaker 7: I mean, he ended up being Jack the Ripper, so like, okay, you know, but I'm like, maybe, but you've known him about ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Like that's right, he has been torturing her the entire time.
Speaker 6: Granted, granted, granted, but like that is also his job.
Speaker 7: But again, as you said, somebody who listen, listen, I'm like, there's a lot of nuance to unpack here.
Speaker 6: Two things can be true at the same time.
Speaker 7: He can't have been Jack the Ripper, and she can't have also been quite presumptuous because she didn't know it was Jack the fucking Ripper.
Speaker 4: This is true. This is true, This is true.
Speaker 7: There could be multiple truths that exist simultaneously, and the minute that we get comfortable with that fact, the better we will be doing. As a specie my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yes, do we have any other thoughts about this specific episode?
Speaker 6: It was a ripper?
Speaker 4: What you did?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 6: I didn't even do it on purpose until I did, do you know what I mean? Like I started saying it.
Speaker 7: By the time I finished the sentence, I had done it on purpose.
Speaker 6: But when I started the sentence, I did not. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yes, I Oh my god, that's amazing. Any other jen any thoughts that we can know the power of now?
Speaker 6: It's so good, Okay, I'm going to be the power of now. I swear to God.
Speaker 7: I totally needs to start paying me because I serious, serious, like work for like trulye Pacholdren is also great. Check her out as well. Anyway, everybody should be doing that anyway.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: Well, on that note, I do have some stuff to say that you're not allowed to hear, Ali.
Speaker 7: So oh okay, now I need to I've never you know, it's so funny. I've never been the one to put out of this no, so I got to figure this out.
Speaker 6: Okay, leave studio.
Speaker 10: Yeah, my friends, you have reached the most dangerous part of our journey, the Gray Council.
Speaker 11: Here we speak of things that must not be spoken, secrets, betrayals, spoilers. If you are not ready, turned back now. But if you dare to proceed, I promise you it will be.
Speaker 1: If I said.
Speaker 3: We got a baldy.
Speaker 2: This episode is such a different one to watch once you know who the Vorlons are and what they're doing, because while yes, ego death good and healthy, there was no fucking need for this. This is a philosophy argument with the Shadows. Why are we torturing de Len?
Speaker 5: I was really like, and I was trying. I was like, as soon as I started going on about him making douche. I was like, because I actually I knew that there was a Jack the Ripper episode, but.
Speaker 4: I like it did not I did not.
Speaker 5: I didn't read the Lurker's Guide first, so I'm kind of glad I didn't because I didn't put the two and two together.
Speaker 4: I should have liked SiZ at eighteen eighty eight. I was like an idiot or eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 5: But but but I didn't. I didn't think. I was like, I was just like I was.
Speaker 9: I was.
Speaker 5: I was just like, you guys are dickheads for doing this, and I was mad at Cash from the and then I was like, fuck, I'm like, I'm mad at Cash because I know more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then I'm like, no, I'm not like even because I know I was in I was in the same boat as them the first time. Obviously, yes, even I don't I'm not doubt the second time. But I definitely like the first time I watched this, I was like, he's got a purpose. This is job in the Bible, although even job in the Bible is like, why did you do that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yah, yeah yeah yeah, And I think maybe that's I think, well, that's a really good point that when you talk about the first time you watched it versus now, because I think me, as a younger me, would have been more like it's job in the Bible, and it's there's a purpose, and me, me like agnostic atheists, grown up jen is like, fuck you for job in the Bible.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: And so there's a part of me that's like, no, you don't have to. And I also do I not think that people like become deeper if they've suffered. I think you have to live. I think things happen to every good buddy. But this idea of you have to go through it to reflect on it, you have to like break everything down. I mean, here's the thing. It's like, I'm a horse trainer. I grew up riding and training horses, and the idea of like you've got to break a horse's spirit, You've got to break a horse to be able to ride them, versus the like the different sort of training that is more common today that like Mike Roberts started and stuff of like you know, like let's it doesn't have to be a battle in a competition.
Speaker 4: It can be a cooperation.
Speaker 5: And this to me is gratuitously like thankfully. It's just like zapping people with energy and like whatever, and like I'm like, I can be comfortable watching the actor go ah and pain knowing that they're not and I'm not seeing Game of Thrones level garbage, but which then I would have a whole of the conversation about why are we watching this? And I'm not saying it's gratuitous and GMS is part, but I am saying that that idea that you have, yeah it is, and like the idea that we have to break you down to make sure that you are the thing. And also Jack the Ripper's line that he says of like I've never found anyone who is willing to just sacrifice in the dark with no one watching them, And I'm like, bull fucking shit, or a you've never tortured a mom, because no fucking mother on this planet wouldn't be like fucking take my life to save my kid. When when this is all going down and I don't care if we're in a dark cave and no one's going to see it, I'm not here to be a hero. I'm here because I love that part of my body that is outside of my body even more and I see all the potential that my younger thing, this younger person can grow into.
Speaker 4: So like fucking.
Speaker 5: Bullshit, I like call such bullshit on that line of like in all these four hundred years, no one is it's just who the Vorlon sent him to, like right, And I'm like, also, like that proves that you're the one. I'm like, no, that is that you're a fucking empathetic human being. Yeah, there are lots of people who would say, you know, I see why I want that person to live more, and a lot of couples it would be like I like my I like I save my partners, save my partner.
Speaker 4: I don't want to see my plate.
Speaker 2: Partners strangers have save strangers like it's yests, like it's ysts. It's such a The arrogance of the Vorlons makes like I do have to consistently remind myself that this cash eventually is gonna he he's nicer than the other Vorlons. But they are they are doing things, they are moving pieces around on a board because we are not real to me.
Speaker 9: Of value to them.
Speaker 5: But it's also like, but there is even a level of like sociopath to it, because I mean, look, I I'm an animal BIOst I'm an animal behaviorist, Like I don't and I've never subscribed to the like humans have souls and animals stones and whatever, and they're lesser than us. At the same time, we get infested in California with these things called argentine ants. They're tiny little ants and they just like a million of them come into your house on there like trek through California, and then they go out a few days later, but they don't leave really unless you convince them to leave, and you kind of have to kill them along the way. Admittedly, I have killed many and I am very sorry and I feel actually bad about it. But at the same time, I'm not pitting one aunt against another and being like difference choose who's the sacrifice, like chooses the thing. And I'm like, that's fucking sociopathic behavior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that's what it's. They are.
Speaker 2: They are orchestrating this, and part of me thinks that one of the reasons they did this is not just to like make sure that the lens the one, but it will make it feel more like they are above her in this, like they are. It's it's the it's theater for the len, we are putting you through a trial that will make you feel more short a in your place, in our plan, but also in our place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are allowed to judge.
Speaker 4: You have control.
Speaker 5: We have the control in the judge and yeah they Yeah, I'm just like I was mad at them the whole time. I was mad at them for doing it. I was like it's unnecessary and I'm like, you're and your excuse that, Like that's what trustte, that's what proves you're the chosen one and you're the only two that can save the word. I mean because I know that that, like we're going to this place where like they are important characters in this story and have to be there, but I'm like, this is not the trial that shows us that. And also I understand the philosophy of like the question of who are you, and like you are more than your name, You are more than your father's name, you are more than your job, you are more than your position in society. I get that. Yeah, but the the the the idea of that is you keep asking the question when the answer is this to me, the way to get to the question, to gain is to just like to just wait and listen, like not to say, oh, good answer.
Speaker 4: It's to say go.
Speaker 5: Deeper, go deeper, yeah, and not to go zap zabs app.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There are so many other ways that they could have done this, but they do it this way this way because hey, it's the same as like people who pull a really weird thing out of my hat, but like Temple Grandon coming up with a different way to sorry, you just talk about.
Speaker 5: Soupburn conditioning, no, but upburn conditioning, yes, it's.
Speaker 2: Coming up with a different way to slaughter animals humanely, and everybody going, yeah, but we've been doing it this way and we don't really care about their suffering.
Speaker 1: Because it doesn't matter to us.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter, And that's like there is it. There are other ways that they could have gotten her to that point of like if they thought, okay, I can't I still don't like that they're manipulating this battle, like they're literally creating a war that we have to fight in. But whatever, they want to get us to the point where we're going to fight in the war. There are other ways they could do it that would not be damaging and painful, but they do not care. They just care about the outcome, so they're not going to think about other ways to do it.
Speaker 5: And it's not like it's getting there faster either. Like you know, you could even you could even not make the excuse for but you could you could write a scenario where if you don't learn these lessons by tomorrow when they're going to get here, we're going to lose this war. Like I need to put you through through the ringer today. You need to like grow up overnight, whatever that is. Like you could you could come up with other scenarios where it would be very important to say, we'd love to be gentle about this, but we can't be. We got to ask you the hard questions right now and go deep. But this was like again, like you said, it just feel gratuitous.
Speaker 2: It is, and I don't I want to be very clear, I'm not saying that this is gratuitous on on jms's part.
Speaker 1: I feel what it feels like.
Speaker 2: And I've reference the show here before, but it's like the good where you're watching it and being like why why is why can't ge On you bleed?
Speaker 1: And why does no why does Cheety have a stomach ache?
Speaker 2: And like that's where and then you get to the end and you're like, oh, end of season one and a big reveal happens.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna try that to buy a bit.
Speaker 2: A reveal happens, and you go, oh, okay, that's what it's gratuitous here. But if you are looking at it from the lens of here, you go, oh, they have a purpose, they have a plan, blah blah blah. And when you look back on you.
Speaker 1: Go, no, that was a clue. That was a clue that they.
Speaker 2: Were not good guys, and that was what that feels That's what it feels like. I don't think it's gratuitous on jms's part.
Speaker 1: I think it is.
Speaker 5: I agree, I too, think it is intentional, and I think it is his intention of saying like it's it's one of his clues that he's laying that the Vorlons are the benevolent angels that we think they are.
Speaker 2: That we're gonna find out that they look like next episode. And I sorry, I know I did that a little. Heavi heavy handedly getting his prediction in there, but he sent that d to me three weeks ago have to talk about it in the podcast, and I desperately wanted to get that thing about him saying so they kind of look like angels, or maybe they look like angels before the next episode when they're going to look like angels. Yes, yes, yes, both heavy handed, and I apologize, but there was no other way to do it.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad we did.
Speaker 5: But I heard something different in the way that he described it, Like I kind of went back and looked at it. Is that the theory he did too well? I he said something before, but and you and I talked about it about like he's clued into how how angels look different to every alien race, every species, because we all have our own mythology of what an angel is. But he didn't today. He said there's a universal angel that every race shares or something. And so I think it's going to be really exciting because it's gonna because they're gonna have to tweak it a little bit and be like, oh no, he actually looks different depending to whom he is appearing, Like.
Speaker 1: Does actually different to whoever he's appearing to.
Speaker 5: This is true, So I guess that side of it makes it the universe universality of it.
Speaker 2: But but it is different, You're right, which is why it's difficult for it. Like that the reason he's in the encounter students, because he would have to.
Speaker 1: He has to conscious.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's conscious, might be reflexive, but he looks it's a slightly different winged angel to every species.
Speaker 5: So you're what you're did Contact come out the movie Contact? Well whatever, Sagan had written it way before this, and I'm sure that JMS read Sagan because that I mean, and not that this hasn't been done before, but that is the idea in Contact, the aliens take the form that you that looks familiar to you.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: The movie Contact probably came out around ninety four, but the book came out in the seven indies, I think, so yeah, anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just I'll read the direct quote from his from the from our DMS. Although we did talk about it, he and I talked about it separately, and then uh, but anyway, this I can't remember exactly what he said, but this is what he said. Maybe Kush looks like an angel. Maybe everyone has the same conception of quote angel, and that's why everyone would recognize him.
Speaker 1: And then that was it. Because I didn't want to harp.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to be like, oh, that's interesting again, because I didn't wanted to realize that I was interested in that, so I just I pretended I didn't see it until he then a couple of later.
Speaker 5: Next later one was oh I missed that one.
Speaker 2: Because then he put the oh new theory to lend his telepathic blah blah blah. And then I said, oh, yeah, I said, I missed your other theory.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 5: So it was very clever. You got me on that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, that was I'm very very pleased with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is this is one of those ones.
Speaker 2: Is such a different one to watch, uh, knowing who the Vorlons are, and then the vere apology get like I like I said, I love how long we it in that moment, but it also again just a mirror or I don't know, mirror is the only word I can think of right now, but comparing him to Londo, who has like his big arc you know, and I guess season one, whatever season it is with the technomages, uh, where he takes in the entire episode to apologize.
Speaker 1: Like a lot of season.
Speaker 2: Five to finally apologize to Jakar and it's going to have a heart attack and and all of this, and he will say sorry and Jakar will forgive him, like I can forgive you, but I can't like my people can never forget like you know. And and Jakar's forgiveness at that point is very individual.
Speaker 5: Like yes, what they have done together specifically.
Speaker 2: Exactly like it's it's not yeah, And it's because I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's no way to.
Speaker 2: You as you guys were taught, like I found myself, like there's just there are some things that there's no apology that can cover. But certain point forgiveness has to be given. Well, it doesn't have to be, but it is health. It is good to release things, just even with the depths of it. And I just know the show handles it so well. Yeah, and and oh that was.
Speaker 1: The other thing. I didn't write it down. I was okay, my nose, there's another thought.
Speaker 2: But the difference between when you were talking about that's why I was agreeing with you when you were talking about how Jack still seems like a monster at the end, the difference between him and Londo at the end, where I I don't think Londo's a monster at the end, even though what Londo did is like arguably factually objectively in the firy.
Speaker 5: Fictional way worse way worse.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, he has a certain he has accepted his guilt at the end, like ye, like and his respon responsibility where I never got that mixed that feeling from like Jack. Jack was like I was chosen then and I'm chosen now and yeah, I'm miserable, but I was chosen for this and this is where I'm living my destiny.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Whereas and he didn't like and his thing of like, you know, you're the chosen one too. He was kind of like, you're just like me. He wasn't like you're the You're what I thought.
Speaker 4: I was like that. I didn't that didn't see that at all.
Speaker 5: He was like, no, you're just like maybe yeah, no, maybe you're also wrong maybe.
Speaker 2: And it was almost like an abdication of his responsibility, Whereas that's the different, like Londo has taken responsibility for what he did and he suffers horribly, but it is like there is no sense of him being like, well, I just sort of fell into that, and it was like, no, I made these choices and I have taken respect. The difference between them, it was I never thought that. I never thought to compare Londo and Jack the Ripper until when you were having that conversation, it's like that is interesting, Yeah, because you don't like Jack I think in his last ones on the show, where I still like when Londo is suffering, it's like, I'm so sad that you're suffering. You deserve it, I'm glad you're suffering, but I'm also sad about it.
Speaker 1: I don't know how that it makes no sense.
Speaker 5: Iense like but that's no yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, sure those are.
Speaker 1: There's a good episode. It's a very good episode. Not much like one, well two things things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not much of the but but not a time going on in terms of like I mean, there's the Chikar sub plot of trying to get that get the message weapons and stuff and yeah, and the message and like hang on to power, well whatever power that is what that means. But yeah, there's that, there's that side story, but it really just feels like it's the delend story.
Speaker 1: It's definitely the Delen story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, I did mean to talk. Well, we just ran out of time, so it wasn't something I skipped in whatever. But when we're during the reaction, when Lanier shows up, there's questions how did he find them? It is addressed in the notes. I actually filmed the scene where he gets worried about Dylenn and goes Tolson, but it just was cut for time, and.
Speaker 4: I yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: And I was like, I mean, I was like, it's a big stay station. But it's also like not that hard. I mean, Sheridan knows where she is because he was like, and.
Speaker 2: He's her attache, So why wouldn't she have told him I'm going to grade nineteen?
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly. It wasn't a big leap for me. It wasn't a hard it wasn't a hard lead for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not for me either. But yeah, I think I think that those are.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 5: I'm just gonna I think that's it for me for sure. Yeah, except that I find myself okay, so this is the opposite of I do have one thing.
Speaker 4: This is the opposite of the londo of it all.
Speaker 5: I find myself obviously sympathizing with Jakar and caring so much about Jakar and his journey and his story now, and I do find it sometimes hard to reconcile that with Hey, Leita, Heylita, you want to make some babies, like I mean, and it is you know. And I'm also gonna just say like a part of that was like jam Us writing a pilot and then like finding his way and like nuancing it in the year that it was from the pilot to episode one. But sometimes I look at that, I'm like, why do I like you? I did not like you.
Speaker 2: Jakar does one thing like that is one of those I think part of writing that into the pilot and is you were not supposed to like Jakar at first. You were something like Londo and so making him do creepy things and it wasn't like he was.
Speaker 5: Nah, he wasn't as creepy as I mean, frankly, doctor Steven is just as screepy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He was offering what he thought was a position like it's it is creepy, it's uncomfortable and gross, but it also is like he was trying to be pragmatic.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, he does one other thing later on in the in the show that is one of the things that I Nope, didn't happen.
Speaker 1: It did not happen.
Speaker 2: That is my thing where he gets a false eye because Cartagia takes out one of his eyes and he gets like a prosthetic eye and when I'm just gonna mention it now and then we'll have to talk about it when it happens, and then I'm just gonna pretend it never happens, because uh, Delenn and Sheridan get married. He leaves his eye in their room because he can see it.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, that's pretty gross and also really gross.
Speaker 1: It's really gross. It's also not just a car.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think when when did show right, like, when did men male writers start to realize that peeping was not cute or funny it was an incredible violation and a sex crime because like think about Back to the Future, which begins with oh he's a peeping tom. Look how nerdy and dorky and endearing he is, Like that's what the tom is supposed to make you feel like he's a little endearing.
Speaker 1: Nerd instead of Oh, no, that's a fucking sex.
Speaker 2: Criminal who is violating that woman sexually, Like yes.
Speaker 5: Why, yes, I mean And then well it was also that isn't because it's Christmin Glover right, It wasn't smarty he was yeah, yeah, but because I'm like, because you can't say nobody can ever say anything bad about Michael J.
Speaker 4: Fox.
Speaker 5: But but I wonder, Okay, I'm gonna go like, fuck, all right, am I making excuses for disgusting men? Or am I trying to find okay? Because I was gonna say, is there is there a culture because because pranking a wedding couple on their wedding night, it's also not on like there are many cultures in which there are pranks or watching. I mean, it used to be that you actually watched a couple consummate their marriage to make sure that they actually consummated their marriage. Let's talk about how that's bad in so many ways. But but I'm actually remembering my my, my cousins, my cousins. So one of my cousins is a priest who married me. He like, performed the ceremony, not married me. I didn't marry my cousin. I know my cousin married me.
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 5: And but he and so he's you know, so he's a Catholic priest. He's a Catholic priest. He is a celibate Catholic priest. And then his brother, my cousin, Greg, whom I adore both of them. Greg is a prankster in a big way, like always has been, knows how to make me cry when we're playing cards, Like he can be a dick, but I love him and he he and Mike jumped in a car and tried to We drove away from the reception to go to our hotel, and David's best man drove us. But the idea was like we were leaving and going out and we just like drove out into the country because it was beautiful's where we grew up and we wanted to go see it. But they tried to follow us because nobody knew where we were spending the night, nobody knew what hotel we were staying at that night, and they tried to follow us because they wanted to like yell outside the window all night, right, which was so silly and dumb.
Speaker 2: But that me is different because it would be a prince that you were aware of, whereas your car does not be like ha ha ha, I'm leaving an eye here, or even the next day it was like ha ha ha, I left my eye here so I could watch you.
Speaker 5: It was that's just really disgusting.
Speaker 2: Eat it, and like I said, there's if you like go back to a lot of movies and shows from the eighties and nineties, men doing weird, gross sexual things to.
Speaker 1: Women was a joke.
Speaker 2: And yeah, okay, I am glad that we have And in this case, incidentally, I will just say, because I'm sure somebody will say this in the comments, he didn't just do a sexual gross thing to a woman. He did a sexual gross thing to John and to Lend. He violently did their prophecy in ways that they were not aware.
Speaker 4: Of and consent to and did not did not approve of.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, And I, like I said, it did not happen because I liked your car, and so.
Speaker 5: Does it make me less sympathetic in general?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But it.
Speaker 1: Didn't happen.
Speaker 2: It just didn't happen. That's all you have to do. That is there's certain things in the wheel of time that I did that for. You're like, oh, that's the thing that just didn't happen.
Speaker 1: There you go, look at that.
Speaker 2: Weird, weird how the paragraph just skips like it just jumps from here to year.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Anyway. So that's it, I think though, That is it for the for this episode. And next week we will do the season finale where the change change. So so yeah, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: If you like this podcast, you probably will like the reaction, which is up on YouTube.
Speaker 1: You can check that out.
Speaker 2: You can join our Patreon, you get early access, you can get unedited versions of the reactions. You can get sometimes some behind the scenes babbling on uh stuff.
Speaker 1: That we do as we are wont to do. And you can join the discord and it's super secret because there's super secret conversations there and because there's a super secret chet for patriots. That's why.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Yeah, I think that's it. Like subscribe, rate review hype. I still don't know what hype has, no idea, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming it's a good thing. So yeah, no idea. If it does, do you think, but do it and I yeah, we'll see you next time. Bye,