Speaker 1: Hey, Before we get started, be sure to head over to ham Radio two dot com forward slash email dash sign up to join my email list of over nineteen thousand subscribers, where I like to send emails about upcoming events, upcoming shopping deals, keep you updated with all the stuff going on with my videos. Once that list reaches twenty thousand, I will be doing a giveaway of another HF radio sign up today and thank you for the support. Here we go, Here we go. Okay, all right, guys, thank you for joining tonight Ham Radio two P one zero Sunday night live stream. It is seven o'clock in Texas, so I appreciate everyone joining us tonight. TC fits with the super chat right off of the bat. Look at that. Thanks for the superchat, buddy. Ten dollars that's going to that's going to go towards what the first thing I'm gonna talk about here, which is a giveaways of radio. Patrick had a. I don't uh are you talking about my event? Are you talking about any event? Because yeah, we're going to We're gonna be going to the More Expo in April. I think they moved it back a week. It's like the last weekend in April this year. I assue it was the third weekend last year. I think it was the fourth wee I think. But anyway, we're one of the more expo. That's the next overlanding event that I will be going to, and there would be probably seven eight nine people going with me. So we had a good group there last year, lots of fun. We're definitely gonna go back. So that is where that's what the next one is doing there. So thanks for joining tonight, buddy, appreciate you being out there. Special shout out to folks in the green text in the chat. Folks with green text in the chat which you can't see on my screen, but if you look at the YouTube chat you can see that gray Man Poda is in there with Tim. I saw a C three I k ed in there earlier. Vic Miller's in there, Jeremy Tom WB seven out let's see of course, dark Side Overlands in there. Thanks for being there, Patrick Todd kJ seven, JHH, Phil W zero RHP, thank you for joining us tonight. Michael KD eight g I J. Cooley, thanks for joining. Let's see. Frederick Strickland, thanks for joining. Jeff AA four BC GF o'dale tc fits of course, thanks for being in here, man, thanks for committing. Jeff Lee W four CPU ka Ensman, Thanks guys, thanks for thanks for the support of the channel, and thank you for joining. So if you haven't seen it yet, we are giving away radios for the first few months of the year. I don't know how many months I'm gonna do this, at least three. We gave away an eight ninety one last it was actually about two weeks ago. It was the first weekend of It was the first Sunday of February this time in February. That was the January giveaway, but we did it the first Sunday of February this time for February, we're giving it away a brand new Icy seven five, brand new IC seven oh five. The url which Frank, I'm not sure if you have that or not, but it's uh him radio two dot com forward slash February twenty five and I'll see, yeah, there it is right there. Let me grab that real quick and put that in the chat. You guys go sign up for that. I'm probably going to do that giveaway live stream because I think I'm gonna be out next Sunday it's up in the air right now, but I think I'm going to be out next Sunday, so i might do a Monday night live stream like the day after that. So but I'll let you guys know for sure, I'll share that with everybody where the cutoff is. For that, we're gonna give away an icy seven oh five. You want to know something that's really fun, well not fun, but ironic. You want to know something that's really kind of ironic and disheartening a little bit. Not one person from the giveaway last month has claimed their prize yet. So if you won the eight ninety one or the Devo slider one of the coffee packages last month, you need to contact me. And I've emailed you. That was the night before I left for ham kash So I went to Mcashon, drove out there, spent a week on the road for Hamcashon, came back and emailed everybody. So it was about a week later. Give everyone chance to do team replay on the live stream, and no one has. One guy replied to me and I'm waiting on his coffee selection, but no one has claimed the eight ninety one. The winner of the eight ninety one, I have not contact or been in contact with in the winner of the Devil Slide. I have not been in contact with so hopefully we will see that soon. So if you are that person, please contact me. I put some new mystery boxes up on the channel yes day, No Friday Friday, and one guy jumped on it immediately. It was not Andy eighty zero am so a zero am. Yeah, it wasn't him because he usually jumps on it pretty quick, but somebody else did. So send those out to send out the link in the email blasts today, So you guys go check that out if you're interested in that. I'm going to be hitting the road again this week. I'll be out of town for three or four days this week, so I'll ship some stuff tomorrow and then if I don't get it out tomorrow, it's gonna be probably the weekend before I get to it. So just heads up there. But no, Troy, you do not have to be present to win. You just have to reply to my email. That's all you gotta do. Reply to my email, so you do not have to be present to win for any of that. All right, let's bring uh, Let's bring Steve and frank In unmute that. What's up? Guys? How are you all get?
Speaker 2: How you're doing? I am here Monday night stream? You come on my stream on ham Nuggets and give that radio away. I could think of all the production time and cost it would save.
Speaker 1: You really really enjoyed that twelve hundred watch account of my of my live stream. I did last months for that, and I will make sure to schedule around you, Steve. I will not interfere with your stream.
Speaker 3: And you know that Devil's life. I think I can find a happy home for it over here probably.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's the second time I've given that one away because the first person, well there was a story behind that. But yeah, still Franks, No, you know what, Frank, I got an affiliate link for you. I'll send it to you happy. So oh yeah, but that's good you unmuted Frank. You were brave. Oh oh that's ed. That's good. So t o. What's going on? Man? Are you? Where are you sitting right now?
Speaker 2: I am in Arizona. It was seventy eight degrees today. It was fantastic.
Speaker 1: I hate you right now, I really do all of this. It was seventy degrees here yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was, and it was beautiful.
Speaker 1: And now it's forty four. It was twenty nine when I woke up this morning. So yeah, yeah, that's a thing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so I've been playing with solar. I put some solar panels on my roof right above my head here, and then you can see this red and black wire here, and this black thing over here is the solar charge controller. That's going to be a test bench for charge controllers and inverters and batteries and so on.
Speaker 1: It's awesome.
Speaker 2: He'sup plywood mounted on the wall so I can zip, screw things in, screw things out, change out parts.
Speaker 1: Good, good, excellent.
Speaker 2: I've got insurance.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, you know what, whatever works for you, man, just don't just hopefully your slide room doesn't fall apart.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: That's all I ask.
Speaker 2: And I don't have the swin Tech slides.
Speaker 1: You're lucky then.
Speaker 3: Well, the bad part about your slides was the emergency manual part to get to to do it manually was underneath the slider room, right, so you can do it manually without And it.
Speaker 1: Didn't come it didn't come with a tool of its own at all.
Speaker 2: I've said it before. I think all RV manufacturers should be required to spend one week living in their RV in everyone that they make, you'd be surprised how fast we'd innovate, how fast we'd fix this stupid.
Speaker 1: That is a that is a good idea. I like that. I like them.
Speaker 2: So my toilet seat likes to fall down while I'm using the toilet seat while it's supposed to be up. Let's put it that way. Men in the chat, which are most of you, understand what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: I think your wife says that's a feature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk about a pucker moment, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 2: And it's just because of where they set the toilet up against the wall. They turned it. They turned it, you know, forty five degrees from the wall.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, that'supid. So all right, if you can't see this, this is a quade. Wind Link over Android, and I have been I've had a wind Link account for I don't know, maybe four or five years, maybe longer than that. Seems like I had it before COVID. I don't remember, but I've had a wind Link account for a number of years. I use it oft and on. Honestly, I got to give Mike props cadaan to Mardie because he brought his broke ass mac to uh to field Day winterfield Day, and he was talking about how much he was he was fighting with it, but he was but over on the Apple Os. But you know, I let him tinker with it on my uh my Windows box and wind Link Express was written for Windows good bad, right R. I'm not saying that's just the way it was. So he kind of re invigorated my interest in wind Link over winter field Day. So we were we did we took part in the km for a CK winterfield Day challenge to download like a list and send an email to somebody and get a reply and send it to somebody else. Whatever it was, we did it. Whatever it was, I don't remember now. It was like it was three or four steps. It was easy, but you know, and we did it over forty meters I believe, and it was pretty easy to get into the forty meter Vora Vora HF modem that we were using at the time. So that was that was fun. I I I enjoyed doing that. And then since then, of course Ack was at hmcash last weekend, so we did a lot of wind, and there's there was a and I remember from last year there was a wind Link gateway not too far for a two meter packet when Link gateway not too far from there at all. And uh, and I use the heck out of that. I checked in win Link at least once a day when I was out there at and this this radio that I'm going to try to talk Frank into getting, which is the uv PRO Yep, yeah, I got enough battery left so that uv PRO is. Yeah, the VGC. So I wonder, Steve, have you done an actual comparison between those two radios.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's very very minor differences. And the uv PRO one of the channel banks is taken up by Noah Weather channels, which then allows you to do scanning of the Noah Weather channels. And I think it has weather alerts. You can manually do that on this, but it doesn't have the weather alerts, okay. And the uv PRO is like ten dollars cheaper.
Speaker 1: Is is it really ten dollars cheaper? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to say it's one sixty four for the uv PRO and then the VGC is one seventy four after my ten dollars discount, but you can't get the the b tech in colors and now comes in prison edition prison clear beer case, and then you can see oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, all right, all right, prison edition. Sure I have a ten I have a ten dollars discount for the UV Pro from bellfin Tech, so I can get you yeah, yeah, something like that. So, uh, is there a poly pissy pissy pants beer tonight? No, TC fits, I don't drink I p a's, but thank you for asking, and.
Speaker 2: I think that attack.
Speaker 1: And then uh and then he asked earlier with a twenty dollars super chat is is that a member of the Coffee and Ham Radio Any friend of Chuck is a friend of mine, So there you go. He knows Chuck. Thank you TC fitz for the support, buddy. Yeah. So Mike hat I left my freaking uv pro home for hamcshion. I was gonna bring it. I knew we were going to be doing APRS stuff, so I just used my D seventy four the whole weekend. And obviously that's a fantastic radio. Absolutely nothing in the world wrong with that radio, Little battery life. But other than that, Mike had this problem with his VGC where it kept squawking in the when he would unkey it was almost like it wouldn't a Roger B but this squawk. So he went into the settings and it was set, and there was some setting in there that kept turning itself back on. He would turn it off, and it would turn it set like even like he thought it was because he powered the radio down and then powered back up. But then later that like the second day, he was like, no, it's back on. I haven't even powered the radio off today. So there's some kind of bug that powers on something in the APRS settings that makes all those noises and whatnot. I can't remember the name of the menu right now, but signaling settings, Mike says, the signaling settings inside of that VGC, they kept turning themselves back on. So I gotta see, I haven't tried that on this one. But when I key up and talk to myself over this radio, it doesn't make that squawking noise at the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Mike, by the way, I did find out how to turn off the APRS audio in your ear hole on that radio because Mike and I both had that problem at handcasion where if we were. If we had aps turned on all day long, it would just get APRS messages and radio is useless at that point. But I figured out how to turn that off.
Speaker 1: Oh good, okay, okay, So I wonder if that I wonder if that problem exists in this this be tech, this be to I know that the VGC is full open transmit illegally, which you know it is what it is. I don't care. But this b tech, if it matters to you, is actually a part in any radio. So it's full open transmit also, but in the right way. I don't know if the signaling. I would like to put each one of those on a time see what they want.
Speaker 2: What is the right way to be full open transmit legally? And then why is the other one illegal? I I know what you're talking about, but I don't understand the way that you said it. Oh well, you out. I'm genuinely want to know it's part.
Speaker 1: It hasn't. The the b tech has a legit Part ninety certification from the FCC. Okay, v the VGC is just sold as a Chinese radio that does everything. To my understanding, that's how I understand. I don't think that you have a FCC rating on the VGC, I will, But the b Tech does the uh.
Speaker 2: The VERO does do transmit on gm RS as an example, which is what we're talking about open transmit.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah, yes, I yeah, I know, I know that. I know that the vio is is open full of in transmit. Yes, agreed, But the but the but the b Tech has the actual Part ninety certification.
Speaker 2: So again, as much as I like to argue, I'm not calling you out.
Speaker 1: Like no, no, no, that's a good question. It's it's a good question. Yeah, no, I'm just saying that it's uh for those who for those who care about legalities, it's the b Tech is an actual Part niney radio. So mm hmm. So yeah, Mike says, please tell me how to mute APRS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, fcc ID, Mike, edit the channel specifically that you've got it set on APRS and it's in the channel setting for that specific channel. Just mute the whole channel.
Speaker 1: Forty five autos that because Btex is the US company, Maybe maybe not. I mean, there are legit Bowfang radios that have Part ninety certified. There's a UV eighty two Charlie Charlie for commercial that has a part ninety five I'm sorry, a part ninety certification from the FCC. I don't uh, I'm not one hundred percent convinced that Balfang isn't just printing FCC stickers at their factory. Yes, but nevertheless, I mean there are some legit bowfangs that have a FCC ratings, So I don't think that it's partner. I said it wrong. VI part ninety, part nine zero, not ninety five. Part ninety five is GMRSFRS, but no part ninety rating is full open transmit on two and usually like four hundred and four eighty something like that. So it'll cover all of the ham radio bands merge, gm RSFRS Marine band that I it'll cover everything. So anyway, okay, so channel muted. Thanks. Uh let me see I think I put did I put? No? I didn't. I'll get that. I'll get that link for you guys here in a matute. I should have put the link to that uv pro in the chat, but I didn't, so I got this met so again anyway, So I was saying about wind link a minute ago, and we were using it all throughout hamcash and I have. There's a wind link gateway, a packet wind link gateway that's about I don't know, maybe four or five miles as the crow flies that way from me. That way it's in South Lake, just north of me.
Speaker 2: Because it makes a difference.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I'm just saying that.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that way is, yeah from you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't matter. It's north of me. Uh, and I cannot I was thinking West, I cannot get into Well, it's just the closest one. There's one west. Also, I cannot get into it from an ht on on a rubber duck, but I can get it. But I have the b tech plugged into my external in intent right now and I can. I can easily get into it all day long. I took it up to my mailbox the other day and I had the the uv pro clip to my my son visor in the truck and I was getting into it from there. So it's got pretty good range for a ht forhe where I.
Speaker 2: And that was horizontally polarized too.
Speaker 1: It was yeah, it's real good. Yep. So but yeah, so I've been checking when link emails. I checked whin link emails right before the stream started. If you guys want to send me a win link email, It's case five HWB, so I will respond to you. I will respond to you. So I got to send you on Steve just to say I did it. So but when I saw that, and I think that, uh I think I saw this video of yours before HM cashion Steve, and I'm like, oh, yeah, I want to I want to tinker with that. So Steve did this video about how to easily set up a win Link gateway with h with an application called digipi, which is I guess a whole image and and it looks a lot like build a Pie, like Cam far ACK's Build a Pie. Because it's got option you can use it for a PRS, you can use it for I think ws J t X, and there's a bunch of a bunch of other stuff in there. So win Link gateway is one thing it'll do, but it's not the only thing we'll do. But uh so we're gonna look at that today. I wanted to put something like that together today and see what we could do. So that's why I invited Steve onto the U to the show. So tell us about what you learned about doing this Steve.
Speaker 2: So there's there's quite a bit of stuff, and if you have never operated a server before, that's that's where this actually gets to be a little more difficult. The radio stuff is fairly easy, fairly straightforward, especially with the Digipi Raspberry Pie image because Craig does all the heavy lifting for u k LW. But you want to be aware of like, this is supposed to be a service that you're providing the community in your area, and if you're doing this on HF, it's a service that you're providing potentially worldwide, and people are going to come to rely and depend on this thing, and you need to set it up to be reliable and dependable if you're really going to go after it, if you're really going to do the service proud, you know the way it's supposed to be done. So battery backup, ups, solar panels, security so that nobody can break into your handshack and turn it off, and the win Link server software takes care of identification so you don't have to worry about setting up an identification beacon. It does that for you, but you do have to worry about you know the sec rules. You know you're staying in license compliance. You have to be able to log into the system remotely and shut it off. And that can be an Alexa device, it can be x dot twenty five. I think it is X ten way back in the in the day, an X ten device that you know just shuts off the power. But if you're if you're doing this again, think your think your way through test these scenarios. Because this radio has a battery backup. So if I left this radio plugged into like a USBC cable and I turned off the wall outlet, I've still got another n hours of uptime where this thing might still be locked in transmit and minutes of uptime where it might still be locked in transmit or something along those lines. So you have to kind of put those thoughts into play as well.
Speaker 1: So I get that that's a good that's a good way to look at it. I have. I didn't look at it that way. My this, uh, this right here is going to be a test bed for me because I want to set this one up and I wanted to do I wanted to do a portable node and they apparently don't like that. But there is something when you when you fill out and you have to send an email to some guy at win linked dot org. If in fact, if we I'll pull it up, it's right.
Speaker 2: Sure have the page.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. If I go here and win link right here, and I become a wind Link gateway cysop right there on the right hand side, and then you click on that link and oh it doesn't work there it goes okay, join the join the sysop team. It's got all these stuff you got to read through here, which is it doesn't take but a minute to read that. So you have to send your name and call sign the base call sign of the gateway station.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And it must be a call sign under your control of course.
Speaker 2: So like so you were your club, right, yeah, trust.
Speaker 1: The right exactly. That's what you did with you set.
Speaker 2: Up k toads, right, I set up k toads yep.
Speaker 1: Right cool? Uh, state your agreement to commit and operate within these guidelines these guidelines above here and a reference to confirm the affiliation with an established MCom organization if you intend to operate the station as a temporary or portable asset. So that makes me wonder if I should try to get something with one of the InCom groups I'm a part of to do something just for that, so, right, that might be a step for the future. I may or may not try to do that in the future, but my original and my original hope was to do it as a portable node. And I understand that they want they want to know where where the nodes are so they can populate them and have people use them and have them money.
Speaker 2: They're trying to create infrastructure, right, That's like I said before, that's reliable, and you moving your radio means it's going to be turned off while you move it potentially.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, true, true. So but but I sent an email to get that and I was like, yeah, I'm not going to move it, and uh and I didn't really. I just answered the first three questions, really, and I think he replied back to me like two hours later, and I got I got Now it's pretty quick.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't don't write them a book, don't tell them about your financial situation. You know, this isn't eighty meters. Just answer the questions or three questions and Hilbert truth, the more you type, the longer it's going to take to get a response.
Speaker 1: True. Yeah, yeah, it's a good point. So all right, so I download so if we go here to digipie, which is craiger dot org for slash Digipie. KM six l y W is the one who makes this download here, And that down load was awfully slow. I think it took about an hour to download that.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I did it. It's usually doesn't take that long, does it not?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I must have. I must have hit it on a time when he was having multiple downloads.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna bled it down.
Speaker 1: Eh. Maybe my five hundred five hundred meg up and down fiber connection was probably too slow for it, probably.
Speaker 2: So, But but it took away.
Speaker 1: It took a while to do. It wasn't bad. But I downloaded that. I burned it to a microst card. I plugged it into a Raspberry I have a Pie three Steve because that's just what I had land on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should be perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The only thing I don't like about the Pie three is that it runs over micro USB.
Speaker 2: So so win link. The official name of wind Link is w L two k when link two, which should tell you about when it came out and what it was written for. So a Pie three is actually overpowered.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's a good that's a good way to look at it. Yeah, yeah, good deal. So so I got that downloaded, I've got it installed, and i've got it right here if you can see it, we've.
Speaker 2: Got it good enough.
Speaker 1: HDM. I captured into one of my ports here and it's at the login screen and I didn't I didn't read far enough to see what the login information.
Speaker 2: Was, So you don't to go this far, okay, and that this is totally cool. What what it will do is it will create its own automatic Wi Fi hotspot right and it might be better if you looked at this on your phone since we're live streaming over this connection. Okay, so look for the digipie Wi Fi access point.
Speaker 1: I've actually got it plugged into Ethernet right now, so it's possible it turned that off.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. If you've got to plug into Ethernet, then you might be able to just get straight in via the IP address if you have a way of finding out the IPA dress.
Speaker 1: I do have a digipie.
Speaker 2: Never wired this in.
Speaker 1: I just did it because I'm here in the shack and i've got to I've got a switch right here. I've got a next fight.
Speaker 2: It would be better if it's wired, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, I mean obviously you you uh yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: In a wireless hobby, you won as many wires as possible, antenna wires, coax wires, power wires.
Speaker 1: Ed wants to know if it'd run on a Pie zero. Which one is the Pie zero you told me to.
Speaker 2: The Pie zero two w is the one that you want to run it on. The Pi zero by itself is a single core seven hundred megahertz machine. Not fast enough. You want the zero two, which is a four core machine. I think it's one and a half gigahertz. It's not important, but you know, the four cores is the important part.
Speaker 3: Also, the w is because it's wireless.
Speaker 2: Wireless.
Speaker 1: Ah good, good, Okay, Yeah, I have an old Pie two floating around here somewhere that I remember having to add Wi Fi USB dongle two because the Pie two didn't have Wi Fi built into go figure. But okay, all right, so it's wired in right now, and or I.
Speaker 2: Try to go to its IP address. Okay, in a web browser, I can let me find with the while you're doing that, the the Wi Fi access point that you do. You go to that Wi Fi access pointed like, like I told Jason, it's better to do it on your cell phone, and then you go to ten zero zero five I think is the IPA dress, or you can go to digipi dot local in your browser. It's HTTP, not HTTPS because ham radio is not supposed to be encrypted. And then from there there is a configuration page where you can figure it to be on your Wi Fi. Just do the Wi Fi configuration only, save it and reboot, and we'll show that when Jason finds the ip dress. I'm just trying to take up some time while Jason's getting that sorted out and figured out. But it will it will auto ap auto access point if you don't have it already configured, and if you do have it already configured and it can't find that network, it will also auto access point. And then you can use this trick on your cell phone to set its IP address, join the Wi Fi network that you're on, or just use its Wi Fi network from your cell phone and take it from there. When you are doing a win Link server, you do need an Internet connection, so be cognizant of that. Most of the other services on the digipi, like FTA, JSA call aprs. That kind of stuff does not need an IP Internet connection, but this wind Link server side does, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The whole purpose of a wind Link gateway is so that it can send and receive your messages via RF and then transmit them over over the interwebs and do regular emails.
Speaker 2: To connect gateway to gateway to gateway.
Speaker 1: Yep, oh yeah yeah. Okay, So I got the IP address. Do I need to put anything after it after putting it into a browser?
Speaker 2: Uh no, because it's not loading.
Speaker 1: Stop up, it's not loading by itself right now?
Speaker 2: HTTP.
Speaker 1: Let me make sure I don't.
Speaker 2: I think I just and like I said, I have never done this wired, so it may not even support it because I don't even know if Craig is done it wired. It's it's design that you take the zero two W into the field with you and do field stuff.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's trying to do secure So you have to type in HTTP col inside.
Speaker 1: Well I just did that. This is just stupid. Chrome wanted to putt put an s.
Speaker 3: And it's side of force. Can't you just go to there?
Speaker 2: It is there?
Speaker 1: You got it? It just too okay, And I had to I had to just hit refresh a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, like I was saying on the bottom, so you have all of the services and you can look at those a PRS, TNC I gate, APRS, HF, TNC iGATE, APRS, dgpter, APRS, GPS tracker, webchat AX twenty five networking, which is actually computer to computer networking. When link email server is going to be what we do today when link email client, which is how I set it up. I had one that's a server and one that's a client, So two separate pies, two separate radios. The r DOP is actually a f astro modem. Then packet radio ring control would be used for ws JTX and he's got slow scan TV fl digit and JSA call. So this is a loaded image and all of this software once we get through this process will be one hundred percent configured, ready to go. So when you click on FT eight, it's already got your call sign, it's already got the radio configured, and so on. I wanted to get through that list real quick because that's important to get that word out. But if you scroll down a little bit more on that page, there's two links that are important all the way down to the blue links. There you go. On the first column you see Wi Fi and on the bottom of that you see the green initialize. So if you're doing this on your phone, just do the Wi Fi, save the CONFIGU and reboot, and then go in on your desktop computer system with your Internet connection and so forth, and then do the initialized. You don't have to, but it's easier that way if you're going to stay. If you this wired seems to be working out fines, you just click initialized.
Speaker 1: Just click initialize. Okay, I might set that up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But so type in your call sign, skip the password on wind link, fill out everything else.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: And the reason why I'm telling you to skip the password is because it's going to show it in plain text.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, APRS password, I'm gonna skip that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that that's not actually a password, that's just a generated thing. And this is why I want to do this on the internet. If you hit generate, it'll take you to the APRS pass Code Generator site where you can type in your call sign and it'll tell you your pass code. Oh okay, okay, And then the same thing with all the rest of these They all have these little you know, hot links to take you over to help you find out, which is why I like to do it on the internet instead of on my phone without internet access.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, latitude and longitude were already filled in.
Speaker 2: They're wrong, but they're filled Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: They're wrong obviously because it's something that was popular. Do do we need to click locate for that.
Speaker 2: Unless you know it by heart? Yeah, click locate locate and then just type in like Grapevine, Texas or whatever. Close enough, and we really don't need to know where your shack is. There we go, there, you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there.
Speaker 2: And okay, and after you've done this the first time, all of this stuff is cashed in your browser to drop down and like auto fill, you don't have a GPS device to leave that alone. Okay, twenty five note pass we're not actually doing that, so you can leave that the way it is. Okay, screen type, you can leave that alone. I don't think you have the screen, do you.
Speaker 1: I don't have a screen for it. No, do you have a screen on yours?
Speaker 2: I have a screen on two of mine. I have the little one point three inch which is the same size as the MMDVM screens. And now there is a three point five inch screen, which is the size of the raspberry pie itself. And that one's really sweet. So I have some videos on that as well.
Speaker 1: Do you have like a neat case to put the pie and the screen and everything in? So it's like one unit.
Speaker 2: For the one point three inch case, one point three inch screen there is a case, I believe, and for the three point five they the people that make the three point five inch screen don't make a case yet. And then Craig also has a couple like this. This image has become really popular, so people have actually made custom dedicated hardware for it also, I think, so, yeah, he's got he's got a big stack. So down the bottom, this last one here where it says radio interface is the next one we need to look at. You can see where it says f E Pie and I can't read that audio hat f you Pie is Iron Pie Audio hat gp IO. So there's if you drop that list down, there's a couple of choices in that list of different pie hats that he's got that work really well, that have been custom built for him. But you're gonna need to pick radio interface and we're gonna need to pick the radio talk about what's radio? You're using radio?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I've got so the dropdown done show in my window capture. But the choices are fe pie hat gp io and then USB connected radio, digirig dra pie zero hat, digipie hat audio injector hat and USB audio gpio.
Speaker 2: So what radio are you using and how is it connected?
Speaker 1: I want to use this. I want to use this FT sixty five with the digi rig. But okay, I'm not one hundred percent convinced that I've got the right digirig cable for that radio. So I did grab my seven o five. I do have my seven o five right here, and we can use that tonight for the purposes of the video.
Speaker 2: Seven five is going to be the easiest.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let's just let's just do the seven o five eventually. I want to, Jason said a c K. He was like, yeah, that FT sixty five makes for a great server at the house or whatnot. And I'm like, you know, that's a good idea. I've got one that I don't I don't do anything else with it, so it's a good thing to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a whole stack of them hanging up back here.
Speaker 1: That's what they do.
Speaker 2: They multiply in your sleep.
Speaker 1: I know it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to have it. What are you want to use it for? I don't know, but I have to have it.
Speaker 1: I saw a guy on Reddit one time, call him call Balfan self replicating. They're they're all self replicating. So okay, uh so we're gonna use USB radio then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And on this image when you pick USB radio, these defaults here the rig number and the port and everything is already set up for the seven oh five because Craig has a seven oh five. Nice, so you're done. But if you don't have a seven o five. You see how it says rig number. I think it's thirty thirty five, And then it's a list, yeah, thirty. If you click on rig list, it opens up a new tab. And this. If you guys have ever used Hamlet before, which is what's baked into w S J t X and fl digit can use it, and rig control ri I g ctl on Linux uses it. This is like every radio ever made, and it's in alphabetical order, sorted by vendor name I believe, and alphabetical order is kind of weird because new numbers, I mean FRANKL back me up on this number sorted alphabetically, don't sort numerically. They sort alphabetically, right, So it's like seven hundred seventy one hundred seventy two hundred seven zero five or something like that. I'm trying to do math on stream and you don't do that. But it's a difference that makes a little bit of a difference. So if you're looking for IC seven oh five, it's not necessarily going to be alphabetically numerically where you think it might be, but it's going to be in the icy sevens somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, is easy enough.
Speaker 2: Okay, but just control F type in your rig number and boom type in your your rig name.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can so before you do anything else here, unshare the screen, type in your Wingling password and then hit the initialized button because it's going to show your password in plain text for everybody on stream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got you, Okay, Oh look, it's a bunch of people ordered mystery boxes. I got to go look screen when password. I don't remember what it is. I think, actually you know what I think.
Speaker 2: I do remember what it is, Jody, I got you, fam control F or command f if you're on the right team on.
Speaker 1: The team okay, and they click initialize after.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, and it should automatically reboot. It should actually even say it.
Speaker 1: Says changes applied reboot for changes to take effect.
Speaker 2: Oh so you have to hit the reboot button.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we totally share this out except you know people already impersonate Jason enough. There's even a ham Radio three dot.
Speaker 1: Zho I know I saw that. Yeah, no, it's it came up and it said it reset it, it reset all the fields, but it said changes applied at the bottom and it had a reboot button. So right now it says DIGIPI will be available on this ip in approximately one minute, So it's rebooting right now.
Speaker 2: So the other cool thing about this, and we talked about this a little bit when you're talking about power requirements and remote shut off stuff. The way Craig has set this image up, the sd card is read only. So there's two things that are going to come into play with that. One is you can hard yank the power out from underneath of the Raspberry Pie and not hurt the file system, which is a great big no systems.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: But the other thing to be aware of. Is that like, if you're doing FT eight on this you're you're going to lose your log. So if you do a parks on the air activation using this device, which you can do, and then you turn it off and go home to upload your logs later, you don't have logs later. You've just done.
Speaker 1: You've just lost because it's because it's read only.
Speaker 2: Yep, it'll FT eight all day long, but you once you pull the power, it hasn't saved anything.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, gotcha, got you got got gotcha? Hmmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, Craig doesn't f T eight, doesn't uh doesn't PoTA he does f T eight, so he hasn't fixed that yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, that that that would that would be frustrating because ws j T just has that auto logger back into the Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally expect to go home and just copy the last ten lines out of the log right right.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: You'd probably back up by now.
Speaker 1: Let's is all right.
Speaker 2: So Curtis and Lee are talking about DIGIPI versus digi rig. Those are two separate things. The digi rig is the small black box USB sound interface and DIGIPI is the software that you run on a Raspberry Pie to do things with the digi rig interface. So you need both of those. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: This is a digi rig right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like you can't install FT eight on a digit rig, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just a sound card interface as all it is. So okay, yeah, it's uh it's back up.
Speaker 2: Good, awesome, all right, So now hit the wind Link email server button, turn it on with your seven oh five connected, and you're done.
Speaker 1: Let me uh, let me grabn.
Speaker 2: Like it's that simple, really, So I just plugged this.
Speaker 1: I just power this. I'm power the seven o five one, and we use the USB cable from the seven o five to the We use the micro USB.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, the only USB USB.
Speaker 1: When I think icon, I think USB B and I just had that my head. But of course, of course it's micro US.
Speaker 2: It's a small radio. They've got to use the small it's a micro radio. They have to use the micro USB. And you can get a USB C adapter to screw into your seven o five. I need to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw that. They there's actually like a conversion you can do to to open up the radio and remove the US the micro USB and put in the USBC. But I'm told it doesn't actually add fast charging. It's just it's just a plug that's the same speed and bust rate and everything as micro USB. So I'm like, eh, whatever, So it does.
Speaker 2: It does two things for you. So if you if you have the what is the name of that tuner, the m AT seven at, Yeah, that I know why they did it. I I kind of agree with it. I kind of don't. But the m AT seven oh five has a USB C connector on it like it should and the seven oh five has a micro USB like it shouldn't. So that's one thing is it gets gets you to only carry one cable for charging your tuner and connecting your radio to USB, so you don't need to carry two different cables. The second thing that it does is if you are the kind of person that uses an amplifier, the UH send ALC port is also replaced and the circuitry behind that is replaced to be a little more robust. I don't use the kind of amplifiers that have that buffer requirement, the weird voltage spikes that would fry modern radios I use. I use the Zaigu XPA one twenty five VIA but thousands of contacts through it. Oh, just directly connected to the seven oh five. But if you were to connect like an ALADB or you know, other like old tube amp to it, you might get wild voltages that would fry your seven oh five. And the new thing is supposed to help with that. I'm not going to guarantee anything. I'm not going to talk out of school on it, but it's it's more robust. Okay, is the end of my knowledge.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to do something that I should probably have done already and plug an antenna into this thing.
Speaker 2: That might help too. Yeah, because once you have this wind link, which you haven't done yet, you're fine. Once you have the Windling Server one, it's going to start beaconing that hey I exist and I've done my ten minute SECID compliance.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Okay, it's a short.
Speaker 2: Enough burst that it's probably not gonna hurt your radio, but you know, do the right hand thing.
Speaker 1: I've got the Yeah, No, I want to do it correctly. I've got the I've got the seven o five in this armelot cage and it's got a B and C connector on it, and I don't have a B and c antenna here with me. So I'm gonna run in the house and I'm gonna get one of my signal sticks.
Speaker 2: I think Frank and I will handle it.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, yeah, I think you guys can hold on. Let me make sure people can see Frank.
Speaker 3: There, I am Hey, what is up? What did the two screen goes?
Speaker 1: Oh? There it is right there. There, it is right there. Okay, good, yeah, so let me go. Let me go to that.
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, there it is.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frank and Teo Show.
Speaker 3: So today our topic is takeovers? Are they good or bad? On live streams?
Speaker 2: They are fantastic on live streams. As a matter of fact, this stream just got three better.
Speaker 3: Oh I do agree, I do agree. So, uh, how how is the other live streaming going that that we're stepping on right now?
Speaker 2: Are we stepping on another line?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know. I don't watch that channel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. He's not even ready he had run inside. But what kind of host does that?
Speaker 2: Does he think? This is Ham Nuggets on Monday Night on temporarily offline Ham Radio, the show where we do everything real time with zero preparation, on purpose.
Speaker 3: Or that great tech show. You know, it's every other Sunday Tank Radio where he's lately he's been doing deep dives into technology, and he talked about All Star and I honestly I forgot what the other live string is I did this year?
Speaker 2: The other lives you've done this year because there's only been two every other Sundays.
Speaker 3: I know, right coming up next Sunday, I have Hammers. We're going to talk about what the new Hammers pro is and what.
Speaker 2: Did he gets you? Is Jared coming?
Speaker 3: Yes he is awesome in the follow up email, but yes, that's what's on the schedule right now.
Speaker 2: Yay, awesome.
Speaker 3: What do he got coming up? On Nuggets?
Speaker 2: So we have been doing a series on TNC's terminal node controllers, trying to revive nineteen eighties hardware, and we're at the point where we totally skipped over the nineteen eighties hardware. We got it to kind of work, but there's three or four things that you have to overcome. One is you have to have the TNC itsself working. Two as you have to have the right cable for the radio. Three as you have to have the radio in the right mode. I guess there's five things radio, and the right mode four is you have to be on the right frequency talking to somebody else who has all of these four things set up properly as well. Wow, And then both of you have to have the same configuration on your software. Oh six, and the band has to be open. So if I was trying to reach you on twenty meters, as an example, we would have to have one percent of the same exact CAFIG And nobody knows how to do this anymore. Most people have just inherited this stuff. So it's it's interesting trying to go back down this And once I get it figured out, then we're going to go a little farther forward. So Monday night I've been putting it off. I got to build some more cables. Money net. We're gonna build some cables and rant about where the state of ham radio is. Again.
Speaker 3: That's so fun. I want to see past panels. Do internet pass panels like a voiceover IP.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, yeah, the old the old switchboard, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's an idea.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've seen it with the PL two P so two thirty nine's on it and you do that to switch antennas and then you you have a third panel that's just all grounds, so when you go home at night, you ground everything.
Speaker 1: Now we have a waterfall, okay.
Speaker 2: And somebody in the chat mentioned that digipie the software boots up into APRS mode automatically, so really, yeah, so beware of turning it on. And if you look back at your screen, share you can tell that it's on or off. Share that out again and I'll share.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is right.
Speaker 2: You can get Frank off the screen for the love of God, man, Okay, so you're lucky. The first option says APRS tnc iGATE and by like the guy in the chat said, I forget your name. I'm sorry, but we got a little busy when you left, and Frank and I were talking that APRS tnc iGATE will be on and that gray column down the left hand side it will actually be green, saying that it's on. But it's not on right now.
Speaker 1: No, nothing's on right now.
Speaker 2: So and that might be because your APRS passcode didn't work.
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, I did not populate my APRS passcode, so or it might not be just okay, spitballing, all right, So I need to click when link email server on.
Speaker 2: Radio is connected antenna is connected, you're on a frequency that's clear. That's the other thing we got to talk about. If you are going to set up a win link server full time in your area, make sure you find a clear frequency in the Gentleman's agreement data portion of the band, which I don't know even what that is. And then you know, so like one four three to zero, I guess if that's still in band.
Speaker 3: I got a question it is.
Speaker 1: It's I put I'm at one forty four two fifty right now.
Speaker 2: Good for me, And that's take it in FM mode. M Yeah, it's FM it and then it's got to be FM D FM data.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, there we go. Okay, all right, good. I don't have my I was looking for my radio camera earlier and I don't have it connected up right now, so I can't show you guys the radio. Sorry about that. But the important part is the screen that we're sharing right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Don is talking in the chat as Don likes to. He says, I appreciate Craig's work, but I prefer seventy three Linux in the WAYKM for eck manages his load. I agree with you one hundred percent. They're different beasts for different purposes. So Craig has designed something that can fit in your pocket and you take it with you and just get on the air and do stuff real quick. And Jason has made a desktop platform that's a little more robusts. They serve two different masters, if that makes any sense. So they're both good work, but they're different target audiences.
Speaker 1: Right, that makes sense. Okay, all right, we're in FMD mode.
Speaker 2: And I wasn't saying that to alliterate for the rest of the viewers. I was saying that specifically to pick on Don because he's my friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I get you. Okay, all right, are we good to click on?
Speaker 2: Yeah the radio USB cable? Yes only, so click it. The only reason why this wouldn't work is because you had the pie booted and you didn't have the radio connected. That that may or may not be an issue. See how it went green?
Speaker 1: Yeah it's green. Now okay, yeah, that's the only thing that's green.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's it. So if you scroll down to the bottom where those blue links are.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh oh, you can't see that. Hold on, Okay, yeah, there we go.
Speaker 2: So the third column, second from the bottom says pkt log packet log. If you click on that, it should open up another tab and it will give you a real time update. And if you know, you know, this is dire wolf And there you go. You got an error. And the error, like I said, is because you didn't have the radio connected when you booted the pie. So I would just go back to the other tab and there's a save config. Click that save config yes, yep, and then click the reboot buttons and these are both instant. Yeah. Like you click reboot, it's already rebooted. Really, yeah, I mean it's not. It doesn't like doesn't predict the future. It doesn't know. But like when you click the button, it sends the reboot command and gives you zero feedback. It's instant, harsh.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, no okay, so it says restarting DIGIPI right now. Okay, it's not it's all you mean that fat? No? No, no, yeah, no I would It doesn't. It doesn't get the idiot windows. Are you sure? Are you sure? Are you sure? Yeah? I get you.
Speaker 2: So, let's so, what's the frequency? In the chat is saying most of VHF gateway for wind Link are between one forty four ninety and one forty five ninety and increments of ten killer hurt. So there you go.
Speaker 1: The one that's close to me that i've been using here, I see that, Thank you for that. The one that that's close to me in south Lake here is one forty four dot nine one uh nine one oh. That's the one I've been using for the last perfect since I got back from Orlando. One forty four nine one oh. So I don't want to be near that one. But uh but that's good info. So one forty five.
Speaker 3: And why this is rebooting? Why do we have to select a specific frequency that's not already in use? Isn't when kind of like a PRS, where it's just a common frequency that we all use.
Speaker 2: It can be, but it's not. If you have two gateways that I can hear in the same time, Like if I'm physically like ten miles from each gateway on two meters, then we're gonna have collisions? Is it?
Speaker 1: Because it Think of it.
Speaker 3: It's not like APRS is a is all receive only you need to the the pie that we're setting up now needs to transmit back.
Speaker 2: It does need to transmit back.
Speaker 1: Yes, think of it like a think of it like a repeater, Frank the repeater. There can't be a more than one in the area, so they would interfere with one another unless they're on a different pel tone, I guess.
Speaker 2: But well, if they're on it, I agree with one hundred percent. If they're on a different pl tone, you still have the frequency capture effect issue. Yes, like I won't hear you, you won't interfere with like me wanting to listen to repeater A, but I can't hear it while you're talking. I won't hear you on it, but I also can't hear it.
Speaker 3: So the piece, the piece I'm missing in my mind is it's a two way communication path instead of like APRS, it's a one way me sending it to the gateway. There's not really much coming back from the game.
Speaker 1: No, APRS is two way also, But everybody think of APRS as like a worldwide repeater. Everyone is on the same frequency because that's where everybody's talking. So it's not like you and me having a conversation on the U Liss repeater and two other guys on the Hearst repeater. Everyone's on the same repeater because all of your APRS gate igates and digit peters are on one three ninety. Now you can have an APRS.
Speaker 3: But what collision will still happen.
Speaker 2: So the difference is that win link if I We're getting farther down the path and I'm not walking about it, I just want to let people in the chat and know people who are watching.
Speaker 3: I'm curious.
Speaker 2: What yeah, yeah, So remember remember dial up internet days when you would send and receive email. You get, you know, forty emails in your inbox, you'd reply to all of them, they'd all queue up in your outbox. Then you'd hit send and receive again. When you do that on wind link, it's the exact same paradigm as like AOL dial up email. When you do that on wind link, you're tying up that frequency for the entire duration of your transmit of thirty messages that you have replied to and queued up for sending. And APRS, on the other hand, is pack it off, pack it off, pack it off, and there are collisions, but not not a whole lot because it's packet off, packet off, where wind link is packet Get out of my way. I'm sending packets. I'm still sending packets. Who do you think you are get off my frequency. I'm sending packets and nobody else can use it that entire time, which is fine if it's a you know, me talking to the server. But if it's twelve servers and two thousand people all trying to share the same frequency, that's where all the collision nonsense comes in. And there's ways around it, but not smart ways around it. Kick it too far in the weeds.
Speaker 1: All right, that took that took a couple of minutes to reboot, but awesome when when the email service.
Speaker 2: So scroll up again, maybe your your apr S is on. Nope, okay, sometimes it's not. Sometimes it comes on.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was trying to come on when it was rebooted, but it's still said rebooting down at the bottom. So and then the page refresh and it's not on now, so okay, so now you might need.
Speaker 2: To turn that off if that green light for a pr S is on, and then turn on Winley because they both use a different Direwolf config but the same dire Wolf software. Hit that packet log again.
Speaker 1: Packet okay, boop, Okay, so far so good. Unverified server TC T two c A east. So where does the where does the Okay, it says case five A should be two. I think we're supposed to be dashed ten. I don't remember where.
Speaker 2: We set a society that's internal.
Speaker 1: Okay, So where does the authorization that I had to get from the win Link gateway admins is? Where does that come into play? Like like, when this key's up and tries to connect, will it not connect if I don't have the proper authorization?
Speaker 2: Is that what he's doing?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So, your your client, your other radio, your other computer, your other whatever down the street, not the server that we just set up. When you try to connect, the server then phones home, and when the server phones home, it says you're authorized and continues the transaction, or it says you're not authorized and shuts off the transaction.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, gotcha? Okay, So it's not actually it hadn't actually done that yet because I haven't connected to it with a client, right, Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that line that you have there it still says APRS trying to read all that stuff, and it's a little small on my side.
Speaker 1: It says, uh, well, the first line says APR s C two dot one dot nineteen, and then some numbers and then it says log r e s P case five HWB dash two unverified server T two c A East and then the third line says KC five HWB dash two.
Speaker 2: And yeah, see how it says above that it says now connected to igates server NAM, which is North America. I think we need to go back to the main page and stop turn hit off on win link email server.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And then if you go back to the packet log page, see how there it is yep, Okay, this is what I was talking about, turned green there. So what happened is is that we were impatient. It booted up and we didn't wait long enough for it to settle. It stayed out, and like the gentleman mentioned earlier in the chat, Digpie boots up into APRS mode. So hit the off on APRS okay. And then if you go back to packet log, you should see that it's shutting down or has shut down, or it's just gonna be hard off. Okay, awesome, Craig. Go back to the other page logging, okay, turn this back on. Yeah, and then when you hit packet log you should see it start up in win link mode.
Speaker 1: Darwolf and did you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there it is. See how it says reading canfig file slash run slash direwolf dot wind link dot com. And it's the top of that bottom paragraph, the first line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, yeah, yeah, I see that.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, And I do believe you can like drag over that copy and paste style with your mouse if you wanted to highlight it. I don't know if it's gonna Yeah, there you go. The way people are in the chat can't see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Still why is it doing that?
Speaker 1: I haven't even touched I mean, yeah, terminating after audio device input failure.
Speaker 2: We can get in the weeds of troubleshooting this on Linux. And Freddy in the chat is asking will Apier has come back on every boot? Yes, that's a default that Craig has set up. I don't know why, it just is.
Speaker 1: I wonder how you can turn that off, or maybe you can't turn that off. Audio output start ERA No such device audio output start air audio right error retry count exceeded audio.
Speaker 2: So what it's trying to do right now is connect to the port on the seven oh five. Do you have a power only cable or do you have a power and data cable. That's probably the easiest thing, is it.
Speaker 1: No, this is the cable. This is the cable that I use. I keep with the seven o five. I've used this for WSJTX multiple times, so it is a it is a dable cable.
Speaker 2: Jeff is asking about canfig on the seven oh five. That's also a good question. Yeah, it turned Collins right, it turned into Annet's episode. You have FT eight D on this radio recently?
Speaker 1: Not recently? No, but I mean, actually that's not true. I did on New Year's Day. Yeah, so a got a month ago and.
Speaker 2: You haven't changed down the settings because there is a there's a setting where that what is it the data off mod or whatever it is inside of the seven oh five. I think the seven o five defaults to it being on properly or whatever.
Speaker 1: I'm not I don't remember that one. What I do know is I've never done FT eight on two meters with this radio. I don't know if that makes in a difference or not.
Speaker 2: It shouldn't you had this thing connected up to HDMMI did you have a keyboard and mouse plugged in? Also, we're just a keyboard. Okay, switch back over to that view and we'll make sure you're seven o five is connected. It is usually not this difficult to do. Let's se there's some configuration issues, so we'll do some quick trouble shooting. We'll see. Yeah, that's fine. That's fine for most people. This will just work. Profile inside of the seven oh five there is a profile that you can select which will open up all the bandwidth and set all the proper stuff. So the seven oh five has about a billion settings inside of it, and you can set them all up the way you want for whatever service you're using. Like if you're a Ritty fan and you've got it all set up for Riddy with the proper bandwidth and spacing and everything, then you can create a profile called Britty profile and save it, and then you can switch back to sideband profile. So the user ID is PI and the password is Raspberry, So log in as PI Raspberry.
Speaker 1: Under voltage detected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a thing with Raspberry pies. That's a pain in the butt. Type in ls USB and I see Texas instruments somethings, and you see a microchip technology.
Speaker 1: Logitech is the logit is the DEVISO five, the Logitech. It's a wireless dongle that's in there for the cure keyboard.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: So if you unplug your seven oh five and then type L s USB again, we're gonna see that this doesn't change because you're seven oh five is probably not connected properly. No, I see it on there, Prolific Technology. I see seven oh five. Yeah. So now type L s USB again and you'll see that some things have disappeared out of the list, right, correct. So we lost the Texas Instruments thing, which is the the sound card that's inside of the seven oh five, And we lost the Prolific Technology thing, which is the serial port inside of the seven oh five. Okay, so plug them back in, okay, and then if you run L s USB, you'll see them pop up again. The other thing to do is a record a record space dash A. I think it's a record.
Speaker 1: Invalid option space dash it.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: I'm not at my console right now. It's the it's the command that enumerates the devices inside of also m hmmm, oh yeah, I'm trying to remember off top me let me. I can't get one of my machines here.
Speaker 1: I can't remember what that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'll Billy Ham saying it looks like a setting inside the seven o five is not.
Speaker 1: That's probably what it is. Yeah, that's probably what it is. Now, if we're gonna do the FT sixty five, is it still going to be USB radio for that one setting?
Speaker 2: The FT sixty five is going to be digi rig.
Speaker 1: It'll be digi rig. There's an actual digi rig setting. That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and again it's going to be properly configured to run on the Digi rig. There's just something going on in Jason seven o five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see there's this seven o five is like from the when the radio was brand new. Okay, Jody says, a record dash L dash L.
Speaker 2: Why did I think it was? Yeah, do a record dash L. Jody's right, he's he's a smart guy. Yeah, there you go. And it says card zero, device is zero. Okay, do type in LS and you should see a Direwolf dot win link dot CONFIGU in the current directory.
Speaker 1: Dardar wolf dot.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's moved it.
Speaker 1: I've got did you Peter Darwick node TNC three hundred b t n C can fig I don't like that LS view it's LS space dash L. I think it's easier to use. Puts it in a list format. Here, let's see. Oh and now my okay, now my i'm it doesn't like the mouse. Okay, that's fine. Let's see you said Direwolf.
Speaker 2: What Direwolf dot win link dot com.
Speaker 1: Yes there, yeah, that's there.
Speaker 2: Okay. You type in less L L E S S space Direwolf dot win link dot com and then just press enter and it'll page out. But we're looking for a device, So hit the right air at the bottom. See how it's coming and out. Used the down row a couple of times and you should know. Wow, you just got the I would say that your config didn't work out right, hit Q to exit. Okay, ah, that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See you've got your call sign up in there case five hw B dash ten. That's set properly.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, we didn't set the dash ten though.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Like I said, it's all automatic inside. It does a really good job on all right, but you're your configure is not working right.
Speaker 1: Uh, what's the frequency? We are in film data mode. It is in fmdsh D mode, so we're there. Yes, it does need to be there, but that's where we're at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's another setting deeper inside the menu, because the seven O five does have a deep f menu.
Speaker 1: It does it? Does?
Speaker 2: I want you to unshare your screen because I think they're right. This next file that I want to look at is going to have before you unshare your screen, though, type in LS so I can see the files that are there because I can't remember the name of the config file. Maybe it's config because I don't have my digipi set up. Are you I have one, two, three, four, five columns that I can see? Do you have more columns than that?
Speaker 3: Older?
Speaker 1: Probably I have. I have this the screen zoomed in right now so that it's easier to read. But yeah, yeah, there's a lot of columns in that.
Speaker 2: Okay, go into the configure so do CD space config CD for change directory and then do an LS in there. And I don't see it. I forget where Craig saves his config.
Speaker 1: File, which canfig file for what?
Speaker 2: For digipi itself?
Speaker 1: Oh? Oh, okay, did YOUPI dot com for whatever?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you have one of those, I can't read one hundred percent of what's on your screen. That's a zoom problem.
Speaker 1: It is not, Yeah, it is not in that it is not in that directory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know that. It's I don't even know what the file name is.
Speaker 1: Uh, well, dig youpi dot com.
Speaker 2: Michael, You're right, a device should be commented out, but the one that had the comment still had the wrong configuration in it. So it's I think digipi might not be configured properly. Interesting, And what I would recommend you do under normal circumstances is reburn the SD card and go back through that initialized process that we had at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, okay, Lee, I'm.
Speaker 2: Looking for the the digipiknfig file and I don't want to like show it on the screen because it's going to have all of his passwords in plain text and you technically shouldn't edit it. Yeah, Jeff is right, data mode to USB on the seven o five. Let me pull out my seven o five and see if I can play along with you on checking that setting.
Speaker 1: Okay, Buried, Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it gets me every time because I took my seventy one hundred to Hamcashen a couple of years ago. I was playing with this exact setup and it would never work, and I went, oh, usob, that's exactly what the problem was, and the seventy one hundred was set to not have data going over the USB port, USB being universal serial bus, not.
Speaker 1: Upper sidement.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, because that's not confusing in Ham radio at all.
Speaker 1: They shouldn't, right, Yeah, yeah totally.
Speaker 2: Then you set connectors.
Speaker 1: This is turning into a Nuggets episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, okay. So on your seven O five uh huh h, the hit the menu button.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And then on page one lower left, lower right, sorry is the set set? Yep, I'm there, And then scroll down to page two of four you'll see connectors. It's the second option from the bottom.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Tap that. And then on page two of three there's mod input m O D Yes, they like they couldn't spare an extra character for the E m O D input. And then the bottom of the first page there's data mod Yes. I think it's actually modulation. I'm just picking on icon and it should be USB. It is, okay, So datam od is USB, so that's correct. I mean it did show up in l S USB, So I think we might have just pooched the configuration when we first did this because you didn't have the I'm gonna blame you because you're.
Speaker 1: Here, because I didn't have the because I didn't have the radio plugged in. Yeah, maze, So we have to plug in the radio before we do the configuration.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I'm only blaming you because you're here. I don't want to talk bad about Craig behind his back. That would talk about you in front of your back.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeap makes sense. Well, we did call this an easy an easy uh you know, easy setup, So we had to we had to run into some roadblock somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how long does your show normally go? Because we're already past the hour mark. Where's Craig. I'm surprised Craig is not watching.
Speaker 1: One to one and a half hours.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I mean we got time to reburn the SD card and try again.
Speaker 1: Yes, I could. I could do that. You want to do that?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean it's not gonna hurt anything. So all right, so let me shut this down and.
Speaker 2: You don't have to shut it down gracefully and just turn it off because we're reburning the sty card. Okay, it's not like tonight as Valentine's Day or anything. We can we can stream all night.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Watch the frequency. You are absolutely correct.
Speaker 1: I may have to go inside and get my card reader because I have to turn this burn this card on another computer.
Speaker 2: So Frank and I got this. Yeah, I'm sure y'all saw me lugging in the machine behind my head here to start looking.
Speaker 5: Let's see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now it's come on.
Speaker 1: Okay, there we go. Yeah, all right, let me go grab my card reader and I'll.
Speaker 2: Be right back. Yeah, Frank and I got this, all right, I bet you do.
Speaker 3: So on the second takeo' here.
Speaker 2: Right again, I think I think we got three hundred percent improvement.
Speaker 3: I know, right, I agree, I agree. Anything fun and new coming up on your channel?
Speaker 2: Oh, always something fun and new coming up.
Speaker 3: I was hoping. I was hoping this week coming weekend, I was going to go to the park and I was going to do some slow scan TV and I was going to show how to set it up and listen to help support the Pharmato launch. And I was like, because a part of their mission is going to be sending out slow scanned images, I was like, this is how you do it with an HT if you have a YAGY And then I think, if I have time wise I do it for HF but it's still going to be like thirty degrees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that kind of stinks.
Speaker 3: And I could do it from the house, but it's not the same.
Speaker 2: Michael debug g eight hundred colon C nice. Okay, I was fast, I know, right. Yeah, Frank and I worked on talking.
Speaker 1: I had all my stuff sitting on the kitchen table because.
Speaker 2: John, what's the distance on a WINDLINGK gateway? Danny's asking, Danny, It depends on which frequency you are on and whether the band is open or not. Two meters is line of sight obviously, well, not necessarily obviously, and then HF is worldwide depending on band conditions. Okay, he spreaded, he ain't even out of breath.
Speaker 1: John, E drive, Let's do the eat. Oh it's coming up as the f drive. It's dual part two. This thing's dual partitioned.
Speaker 2: Alan says, yeah, just blow it away. Alan saying, why not avoid Linux and just install a wind Link on a win ten PC because we don't like Windows.
Speaker 1: What's he saying?
Speaker 2: What's he he says? He says, why not just do it on Windows?
Speaker 1: Well, I have, I mean I have win Link Express on Windows. But like kept saying at the beginning of the stream. I've really enjoyed using WODE, and WOAD only works with packet, so that's why we're doing a two meter packet right now. So I don't I mean, I I guess I could. I guess I could probably use wind Link Express on Windows. When this is all said and done, I just got to connect it to my The.
Speaker 2: Short answer is there's more than one way to do it, and this is this is one ring.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, very true.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, the whezing was frank John.
Speaker 3: No, I haven't even done anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so why are you out of breath?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 2: Pie Don says Whin ten is going away soon. I hope when eleven goes away soon.
Speaker 1: No doubt. Yeah, I think I'm gonna think I'm gonna do some episodes about trying to switch all my stuff to Mint twenty two because I was talking to a c K about that at Hamcshon. You know, I tried to drop Windows about ten years ago, maybe twelve years ago, something like that, and just too much. I'm like, I don't feel like I don't feel like fighting with my operating system. I need my computer to do stuff to do. I don't need to convince it to do stuff every time I want to go do stuff.
Speaker 3: So the latestday breaks four apps really relying on where the graphics driver doesn't work here but works over there.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only problem you're going to have with switching in our field switching over to Linux is the video editing. There is not a good video editor on Linux.
Speaker 1: I pay someone to do that for me.
Speaker 2: So well, Lati da Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and once I when I was on Jay Christina's channel, he interviewed me. We were talking about him radio on his channel because he's a starling guru, and I had him on my channel. First, he uses OBS and he live streams all from Linux, so he uses OBS on Linux. He uses that VD Ninja streaming software which is all browser based. That's what Kyle uses. Kyle told me about that a long time ago, and and he's like, it's all on, it's all on. He's like, I dropped Windows a couple of years ago, and he's he's all on Linux now, even with his live stream stuff. And I'm like, that might be something worth worth checking into. So yeah, I would probably do like a dual boot. Yeah, you know, do like like because there's certain things on and I was telling Jason like like like he hates Windows, and I'm like, okay, that's fine. But when leak Express was written for Windows, it's much much, much more robust than wode or radio mail or pat wind Link or any of these other applications that run kind of like a light version of wind leak Express. There's a lot when leak Express will do, so I wouldn't want to give it up completely anyway, But this, I mean the same is true for several other programs. I mean, I use Photoshop and Premiere and those aren't I tried to use Gimp one time several years ago. I'm like, this is terrible.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's getting the toys for all my images. But you're right if you're used to Adobe, so Photoshop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all of the shortcuts are different, All of the shortcuts are different, and I just.
Speaker 3: I cool different names differently.
Speaker 1: Yeahs, Yeah, what version of the image are you using? I am using one dot nine dash too two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, doc like yesterday or today.
Speaker 1: It was a couple of days ago, earlier this week. But yeah, I don't like Gimp. I didn't. I was really hoping I would like Gimp, and I just I didn't. I didn't like it.
Speaker 3: I just don't want to pay.
Speaker 1: Well, I know a guy who works for Adobe, so I get the whole sweek for like forty bucks a year. So you know, it's all about who you know.
Speaker 2: So I'm guessing the sty cards burning it is.
Speaker 1: Uh, actually I'm I'm downloading, downloading for my cloud server, which is where the the image is kept, because I didn't I didn't burn it on this computer. I've got like three or four PCs in my home here, so okay, here it is, Mike, bring out the camp. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's the GNU Image manipulation program for those of you that are easily offended, right, which shouldn't be any of you here, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, what are you doing on this stream?
Speaker 2: Yeah? If you are, then you haven't really been paying attention or Jason's just not doing a good enough job.
Speaker 1: Can you run Vara FM on seventy three Linux? Yes? You can, absolutely, mm hmm. Seventy three Linux is freaking awesome, and uh, I'm gonna do some videos with it upcoming. In fact, I've already I've already got it installed on one machine. But I bought back when they were like eighty bucks. I bought three of those of all Maestro twelve laptops. So I've got one box I haven't even opened yet. All right, so here it is dig youpie image. Okay, right, I wish I could blow that partition out, though I don't know if it's going to do that for me or not.
Speaker 2: Stop righted?
Speaker 1: Uh, well, it doesn't bring up that drive letter as an option. Let's see to manage. Let's try to It's Windows. So let's go to disc management and see if I could just delete those yeah, unallocated okay, delete volume, yes, good, delete volume? Yes, what do you know? I did it on Windows guys. I was able to nuke. I was able to nuke my partitions on Windows Exit.
Speaker 3: It's easy.
Speaker 1: It's easy. If it it's easy, if it works the way it's supposed to, which is not always the case.
Speaker 3: If the flask drive is mounted correctly, I could do it like three different ways.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go, right, Yes, okay, we are writing.
Speaker 2: Awesome, and this is a condensed image, so it won't take long to write it all. No, it's not that bad. So North forty nine Radio is saying, do a video on seventy three Lenux and there's so much in there, and to Jason's credit the way that he wrote the software, the installer is extremely robust and resilient. But it also if we just live stream, did I think it would take like an hour or two just to watch it install itself?
Speaker 1: Well, Jason and I I had Jason on a live stream three or four years ago, and we did a live install of the predecessor of seventy three Linux, which was Build a Pie and it's based seventy three linuxes basically Build a Pie version two two. I'm gonna call it two point oh, I'm gonna call it kme for a c K two point oh. That's what I'm gonna call it. It's no, it's it's yeah, it's uh. And we did a build and there was a bunch of stuff in there that that you could turn off and on or install or choose to install or choose to use or something like that. So it was it was Yeah. In seventy three Linux, I think is even more robust. So we're going to I'm gonna do some I'm gonna do some videos with it, but it's probably not gonna be on a live stream. I'm probably gonna do multiple videos with it. Actually, thirty one percent. We're going. It's not writing that quickly, but it is writing. It's going.
Speaker 2: So North forty nine Radio says he's got the time. It's not about the time, it's about, you know, creating something worth watching and watching rights the computer install its own software while we talk about it is kind of what we're doing right now.
Speaker 1: It's kind of what we're doing right now. This was not on the agenda for tonight.
Speaker 2: But nevertheless, when once we get past this part, if you have the audio the volume turned up on your seven o five, you should hear it send out. It's beacon. Okay, Don is correct. They compile the code and like I said, Jason does a fantastic job on seventy three Linux. I just wanted to put that out there that it takes a while to do the install.
Speaker 1: It does. Okay, while that's going, we're at fifty I'm going to open sessions on woade M and I'm connected to my UVA pro here and which is on the frequency for the nearby repeater. There it goes that thinger focuses. Oh, I know why it's not focusing. I've got I've got it on manual focus receiving messages.
Speaker 2: Nick asking can I use this on an FT five? Yes, as long as you can get interfaced with your computer or phone, you can use it on whatever radio you have mm hmm cables and hardware and Bluetooth and so on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was tinkering around with my moby linked TNC four last night and I connected it to my FT five and had it connected to APR asteroid just for the heck of it, just because it's a hell of a lot easier to send an APRS message with APR asteroid than it is that.
Speaker 4: Yesy radio.
Speaker 1: And some of you have sent me emails. There you go downloading now. Oh, sorry, didn't mean to do that.
Speaker 3: Nine.
Speaker 1: We're just about there.
Speaker 2: Do you hear all that traffic in the background, Frank yep. That's the reason why they don't share frequencies illustrated on hundre percent. Yeah, true, Jason has just that.
Speaker 3: That didn't click for me. It was because it's a two way communication, unlike APRS. Like you you said, mostly it's a one way, but they can be a two way, but it's so short. If there is a collision, it just gets it next time.
Speaker 1: Okay, we are reimaged back in the pie let me find my USB cable for power here. I'm gonna plug this up, all right, So we're plugged into the seven oh five and it's powered on and yep, there we go. So all of that is plugged in and ready to go. So I'm gonna go ahead and power the pie.
Speaker 2: Up radio is plugged in and everything.
Speaker 1: Yep, radio is plugged in, powered on. Hold nine yards and I wonder if it's gonna give it a new IP address this time.
Speaker 5: But let's see.
Speaker 1: M hmmm, uh nope, same IP address fifty six. Okay, there we go. We've got the initialized screen at the bottom.
Speaker 2: All right, so run through that initialize again. We've already done this, so you can just do it real quick off screen, type in your password and everything, and it should be in your browser save.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, okay, Hello, there we go. When they passed through locate, does it matter the grid square? Does it have to be all six digits or can you do the four digit thing?
Speaker 2: It should be six, but four we'll do.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's not gonna cause trouble like we were seeing if I only use four.
Speaker 2: No, because we didn't get to connect to the radio. We hadn't even gotten to the grid square park.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. Okay, USB connected radio, it's already set to seven.
Speaker 2: O five.
Speaker 1: Initialize, changes, applied, reboot. Okay, it's rebooting now. I have used moby linked an FT five for woad works.
Speaker 2: Great cool, Okay, yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was. I was trying that last night. But I was in my bedroom upstairs and I was checking and I wasn't connecting, and I didn't know why, and I checked the logs. It's because I wasn't reaching the uh the gateway. So it was trying, but it was working on my side. I just I didn't have a I was just on the rubber duck Antena of the FT five. But the cool thing is you can take that uh T n C four and connect it to an icon and you can do APRS and an icon.
Speaker 2: John's saying, I wonder if we found a glitch and programming because of land instead of wireless, But I don't think so.
Speaker 3: H that's an idea, I'll say more as a bug.
Speaker 1: That's an idea though.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. Justin found the file. It's localized dot een v mm hmm. But he's got some comment inside of the localized dot een V that makes it. I think it says something like, you know, don't edit this blah blah blah blah blah. I think you can edit it and reboot, but it's like super advanced stuff. Oh ok and we're trying not to make this super advanced.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the aprs T and C iGATE is on after reboot, so I'm going to turn.
Speaker 2: That off yep, and that light should go gray instead of green.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's gray.
Speaker 2: And then when link email server.
Speaker 1: When email server on, everything's connected.
Speaker 2: Your screen actually looks better on stream that it does on Zoom.
Speaker 1: Good. Well, yeah, yeah, you're right, it does.
Speaker 2: It looks AI generated on my Zoom screen here, does it really?
Speaker 1: I wonder if that's your Internet's been pretty good tonight. But at the first, when you first joined it was you were kind of robotic, so I wonder, I don't know. Okay, packet log reading, can file darw Win, link dot com were good?
Speaker 2: There, awesome, Op, there it is. I heard it. Well, did you hear the radio?
Speaker 1: It did that last time, but then it came within the screen showed all these errors.
Speaker 2: So yes, the radio KHWB dash ten beacon when linked there you go. You just sent out your beacon telling the world that you exist on this frequency.
Speaker 1: There we go. Hey, okay, that is success. So I guess it was just it.
Speaker 2: Was something like I said, the easiest thing to do with digipie is just start over.
Speaker 1: I would like to think that it's probably the fact that it's was not plugged into the radio when we configured it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna blame you because I feel.
Speaker 1: Like I feel like, well, I'm the one who didn't plug it into the radio. So I guess you'd be right, But I still I still feel like it wrote the card correctly the first time. But oh yeah, okay, sweet, okay.
Speaker 2: So now you can configure WAD to connect over whatever radio you have connected to that other device. Yes, this is it. It's done.
Speaker 1: It yeah, it's it's done. You're done, sweet, Okay, I can I can figure WOAD to connect to the seven o five, right.
Speaker 2: Uh, you can figure WOAD to connect to the other radio. Your seven oh five is now dedicated as being okay, so.
Speaker 1: I would so I would change the frequency on my b tech uv pro too to match the seven oh five, and then we could go from there. Yeah that makes sense. Okay, Okay, okay, good.
Speaker 2: So you have radio sound interface, which on the seven oh five is just a USB cable, right, but it could be a DIGITPI or a signal link or something along those lines. And digypie the Raspberry Pie with Craig's image, that's your wind Link server set up right, that whole nut gets set off to the side and stays on and runs. And then you get your other radio, your other computer, your other whatever and configure that to connect over RF to the wind Link server that we just set.
Speaker 1: Up, right, okay, okay, sweet, okay, Well that's successful anyway. So if I wanted to change it to excuse me, if I wanted to change it to.
Speaker 2: A different radio digi rig.
Speaker 1: Instead of of the seven o five, that's done in where do we do that?
Speaker 2: The easiest way to do it again is just to reburn the sd image oh really, the localized dot env file and edit it manually and reboot and so on. Or you can just burn the SD image and go through the initial eyes. Craig has made this by default to not be radio agile.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So your ten bucks you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's true, that's true. Oh, there's great Craig here, we talk about it enough, I guess he shows up. So what's up, dude? So okay, well good? I mean yeah, because it's like yeah, because once you get it burned, it's like three or four clicks and you're done.
Speaker 2: Yep. So it's easier to have a ten dollars Raspberry Pie for every radio than it is to have one Raspberry Pie and ten different radios and ten different sound in their faces.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Okay, cool. I'm gotta make sure I've got the correct cable form my FT sixty five for the digibrig, and if I do, then I'm gonna switch, because you don't want to dedicate your seven oh five to be your win link gateway.
Speaker 2: Come on. No, But so Craig is saying, make a second SD card, which we can do, or edit the localized dot NB file and Craig in your file, there's some some verbiage you have that kind of hints that you shouldn't edit this, which is why I'm trying to urge people to not edit it. But you can. I mean, obviously you know more about it than I do.
Speaker 1: M I thought I heard intro music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you haven't watched Craig's channel. He plays a little guitar bumper like live guitar every single one of his videos and he's got hundreds on his channel, which is KM six LYW Radio.
Speaker 1: Some values you can edit, Yeah, it's probably, I mean it's as simple as it was to just in the image and yeah, just burn a second st card is what he said. I'm like, that's that's probably the thing to do right there. Hmm okay, sweet, Well, you know what this is. Uh, this was success, had some it was success. It had a bump in the roadblock, but just like, uh, every other time we've done that, we've we've tried to fix it, and today we were successful. So I still partially it's partially because you're here. I still remember that time we were building the Morserine I think it was the mor Serno. Yeah, and mine didn't work and I fixed it on camera and Inn five ask all. He's like, He's like, you fixed it on live camera. He's like, and I had the same problem, So it was so great to see you fix it. And I'm like, well, every now and then, you know, I mean, a broken clock is right at least twice a day too, So sometimes I can fix stuff so cool. Well, this was this was good. I really enjoyed doing this. It's good to kind of see it in action. It's good to click through it and see everything that do and how simple it is to you know, I'm glad we had to burn it in burn it again to just kind of see what it's doing. So that's gonna be that's gonna be cool to tinker with. I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you check out on my channel, I've got a couple of quick videos that just go over that part. Live streams are cool interaction community stuff. I love them, yes, but sometimes it's like, just give me the two minute version. So I've got one for setting up, one for what a server is, one for setting up the server, and one for setting up the client on the VGC or the uv pro or whatever radio you happen to have.
Speaker 1: Right, cool, All right, well this was fun. Thank you Steve for your time.
Speaker 2: Sure anytiate to appreciate.
Speaker 1: The info there we still need to get. We still need to do another RV live stream on the other channel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you keep saying that. I actually thought about that the other day because I have two projects that I'm working on. One is this solar thing that I'm talking about right now, it's just wired into this room, but I want to wire it into the battery on the tongue and then I want to get an inverter set up, and there's going to be a loop that I'm concerned about. Okay, I mean, you know when you plug into shore power on your RV, there is a AC to d C converter battery charger built into the camper. Correct, So I would actually be solar power into the solar charge controller, into the battery, into the inverter, into the shore power plug, into the panel, into the AC to d C converter, back into the battery. So I'm wondering, like, am I creating this free energy loop thing going on?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'll solve the problem. And the other one is I don't have enough air conditioning in this rig. It's a thirty six foot rig with a single air conditioner. Oh wow, Yeah, so a couple of solutions, but none of them are good.
Speaker 1: The rig we rented in Orlando was a thirty five foot camper and he, uh, well, we didn't have access to a fifty an plug, so we could only use one of the air conditioners. It had too but you had to have a fifty an plug. But it was fine. We had no problem. That thing worked great. But yeah, if I was living in the thing, I would definitely want to two air conditioners.
Speaker 2: Well, well, this is a Salem, and you know the Salems aren't the highest trim level. It's like the Chevrolet version, not the Cadillac version.
Speaker 1: It's more like a you go, my one I've been having all the trouble with is a Salem. It's yeah, but yours is pre COVID.
Speaker 2: Yes, I make sure of that. Don't buy any COVID trailers ever. Right, Yeah, they were all built on Friday and they all got phoned in, every single one of them, every manufacturer.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a good question. So Brooks asks, will this act as a win link gateway as RF only no Internet, i e. Store and pick up email from the specific station. Well, my understanding of win link gateway is it's always over the Internet because that's how you email back and forth.
Speaker 2: That's how emails get sent from gateway to gateways over the Internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right, So it's it's RF sending an RF email from your station when you're in the field across RF across the airway to a gateway that's somewhere connected receiving RF signals and sending URF also, but it's also connected to the Internet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so from a from an emergency standpoint, like what happened in North Carolina, they had no Internet, they had no cell phones, they had no nothing. Your two meter would get you to the two meter gateway. The two meter gateway would have like a starlink or something, or would be outside of the impact crater and then would get you across the internet to somewhere else, or your HF would get you out of the impact zone to a to a safe place that does have any net. There is peer to peer wind link, but it's a lot more difficult to set up to the point where you might even just like pick up your HT and just talk instead of sending somebody a win link email. Because it's peer to peer, you're only talking at one person.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean you're yeah, at that point time, if you're gonna do peer to period, use APRS because that works simplex. Peer to peer just far mestastic or mestastic. That's true.
Speaker 2: Also, Yeah, there there's more than one way to do it, and sometimes there are better ways, and sometimes win link is the better way.
Speaker 3: Well, it's all about your intent, what you want to do with the message, if you're just trying to communicate in your area, or like you said, this is meant to send email on the.
Speaker 1: Internet, right right, So I got h oh, I got eleven new messages when we were sitting here.
Speaker 2: Nice, thank you for this. Check it again. You'll get eleven more new messages, I know.
Speaker 1: So I am going to be on the road this week and I'm going to go get a new trailer. Yes, because it's possible, I'm going to line the old one with Tanner Wright and take it out to the hunting lease at one point, so we'll see.
Speaker 3: If that happens.
Speaker 2: Well, no, you have to have Mike do it that way you can still make the insurance clean.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, but yeah, so I'll be on the road. I'm driving to Ohio this week to pick up a new trailer, and uh I will be checking, receiving and sending when Lenk emails and doing position reports over when Lenk during that time. So you guys keep in touch with me, all right, Frank, I know you want to do your thing, yep, so yeah, please go ahead.
Speaker 3: I am getting so close to six thousand subscribers, and let's go ahead and try to push that because I'm probaby to range a giveaway behind the scenes. So once that happens, there will be a giveaway around six thousand subscribers. At six thousand subscribers and I'm looking forward to it. I go ahead and disdrop the link into the chat and oh, I'm so excited. Six thousand. Whoa, I'm big time now.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm that's cool. Yeah, cool man? When is it? You know when that's going to be?
Speaker 3: Not yet, I got to hit the six thousand, so I'm hoping it might be. If it happens in a week, we'll do it in a week. If it's not, then it'll be in the march. But we will see when it goes. I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Can't wait, cool man, it's wrong, Lee, there we go? No, Lee, cool Man? Well, thanks a lot man, congrats to that, and uh yeah, we will definitely keep them keep you watching on that. Yes, Nick, I'll be on APRS as well. Always on APRS forty so forty okay, Jody just gifted a bunch of memberships.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jody, thank you very much. Absolutely beyond APRS, so no problem there. But cool, Okay, well, good luck, Frank. You have to keep us posted on that you should go buy yourself an APRS radio when you hit six thousand. I should be your gift to yourself. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, I would suggest to b Tech, but you know I want to. I want one of those vgc's so that I can do an actual side by side comparison and see what they look like. And I really really really like the colors of the VGC radio.
Speaker 2: They're actually really good. They really pop. Well, yeah, I was. I was shocked when I opened up the blue one and I'm like, I'm not gonna like this. This isn't this isn't a radio color. This doesn't make any sense, Like it's not like an m com color. Lose it in the ground ring. I was like, yeah, wow, this actually looks really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Mike Mike' set at Hamcash was like the desert tan color, which I love desert tan, and I was like, oh dude, I need a desert tan radio. I think it's cool, really really cool looking. So uh but the red the red way I have the the walks on Q ten H quadband radio and mine's red, So yeah, I have that radio and red. Well. Thanks to a lot guys. Appreciate everyone being here tonight, Thanks for those who are talking about this till the till the end, and yeah, we will be in touch this week. Send me a win link message case HW. Really appreciate you guys conversing with me on WINLENK.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Steve Vix ask him real quick, what's the full model number of that radio? This is the via vr N seventy six. And the one that Jason has is the exact same radio made by the exact same company with different firmware on it, and that's called the b Tech Balfang Tech uv Pro.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, the UV Pro. And I said I was gonna go get you guys. I do have a I have a link to the uv pro where you can and a coupon code. I have a link. In fact, you know what it was in my email today If you're not a member of my email is Tamradio two dot com forward slash email dash sign up. I sent a link to the uv Pro with my ten percent off or ten ten dollars off. It's either I think it's ten dollars off, ten dollars off coupon in that email, so go check that out. If you didn't get that, let me know, hit me up in discord or something else send it to you. So, guys, thanks a lot. I appreciate it. Everyone, have a good week and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 2: So yeah, later,