Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty The Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio f Bill on vacation, Wayne Resnik here with you until nine along with the morning crew. Anne is here. Oh she's doing what Michelle used to do. Oh no, never mind. I thought I was gonna say man's running around, but you weren't running around? There you are?
Speaker 2: That makes it sound like she's dating everybody.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, Neil, please, there is a long tradition. How do you not know? This was a long tradition on this show. If the the producer cannot necessarily just sit in one place the whole show, they have a lot of things they have to do. Oh yeah, very so sometimes when the show starts, they're not sitting in a certain place. They're running around, as in working. And there's a long tradition. This is odd that I have to be the historian for you. Okay, but there's a long tradition of if the producer is not right there to say good morning, that the audience is told they are running around and it doesn't mean what you mean? That is that speaks more to your.
Speaker 2: Mind, unless it's the Conway Show in which he always says, whenever Bellyo's not on the micro, she's in the can every single time.
Speaker 1: The here's the thing. If you told me that somewhere out there there was a show or a person who was less graceful and subtle than Bill, I would have thought, no, that's not possible. But then along comes Tim Conway Junior. Good morning, Neil, Good morning, sir.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I am fine? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm swell? What's on your mud? Not your face?
Speaker 1: This is a poly you know, Polly's Pies the restaurant. I think, yeah, this is a polyse Pies Conderfall.
Speaker 2: Yes, they've been on the program many times. You're talking about the Fork Report. Yes, sir, go ahead and plug it. Fork Report. I'm not gonna plug that. It's on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Well you just kind of did you just kind of you just you just sort of gratuitously connected my coffee mug to your show, the Fork Report on Saturdays here on KFI. Why not full throated plug?
Speaker 2: People know the Fork Reports on Saturdays two to five.
Speaker 1: Way, I don't do they know? It's all they talk about is my very special uh friend at KFI in that we we have a thing that I don't have with anybody else. I don't know if you have it with anybody else, but I don't have it with anybody else. And that is the the adding of o's to the end of names. She is Amo king Oh to me, and that's right.
Speaker 3: When did we start that?
Speaker 1: I don't remember a long way.
Speaker 3: Why didn't we start that?
Speaker 1: It's a that I definitely don't know. I might someday be able to remember when I will never remember why or how? And uh in for kono oh, he should be here for this part of the discussion. Is elmea row elm, good morning, good morning? All right? Is everybody ready, because we do have some things that are not that that that are not frivolous. We have some things that are pretty serious right now to talk about and handle on the news. I just want to make sure everybody's ready, are ready? Here we go, uh Neil Savedra Amo Kingo and me with handle on the news. This is the lead story. We've been talking about the efforts on the part of the Biden administration to get some kind of indication from Israel as to what specifically they are planning to do to retaliate against Iran. For Iran's missile strike recently, and for a while it seemed like Israel just didn't want to give any information. But now we're being told that Israel has a sured President Biden they will not hit Iran's nuclear facilities or their oil facilities. You can understand the concern there. If Israel hits Iran's oil facilities, what happens to the price of oil immediately boom through the roof, even if it's not valid based on the rest of the supply in the world. That's what's going to happen. And so I guess Israel has promised Pinky promised that they will not hit any of those facilities, that they will go after military or intelligence targets, but they still won't tell us which targets. They're keeping that close to the vest.
Speaker 2: So women, children, okay, oil no, because cost will go up.
Speaker 1: I don't I know that Israel would say that's right, Neil, Yes, women, bombing women and children is okay, but not oil. But nuclear and oil facilities are the only facilities they have apparently ruled out. I can't imagine Israel would purposefully bomb a purely stillion target in Iran.
Speaker 2: But your point is well taken, I would hope. So I'm just saying that it war is.
Speaker 1: Weird given given, uh, something else we're gonna get into. You're gonna actually get into it in just a couple of minutes. Here your your doubt about what Net and Yahoo may or may not be capable of is well placed. So that's a little teaser for something that will be paid off just in a couple of minutes. But first, Amy, this gas law in California is a bigger deal than it was even yesterday when it was signed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, gasprike, gas price hikes should now be history. We shall see. Governor Newsom signed the law yesterday. It's supposed to stop prices from spiking by requiring the oil refineries to keep a certain amount of fuel on hand. That would keep prices more stable if the refineries have to go offline for maintenance or something like that, or there are shortages.
Speaker 1: And we were talking just yesterday about how the oil industry is saying, oh, we don't even know if we can store enough gasoline. We don't know. If we have to build tanks, it might actually end up making the price of gas go up. And at seven to prove that this thing is still a huge deal and controversy. There's another angle coming from another group of folks about why this law that Newsom signed yesterday is so bad.
Speaker 2: I want to know how much he pays for petroleum to products for his hair.
Speaker 5: Yes, sing zing the hot guy exactly all right.
Speaker 2: As Wayne was alluding to more coming out of Israel, Israeli Prime Minister of Benjamin Nettan Yahoo, he's kind of mulling over the plan to seal off humanitarian aid to northern Gaza and attempt to starve out Hamas militant. So this could trap you know, everybody there in the northern part Uh without food or water. Now, the thought here is that they get a week or so to get everyone out that is not a combatant, and then in his thoughts, anybody that remained is a combatant.
Speaker 1: But but in practical terms that's probably not true. No, there are people, there are people, believe it or not, there will be people who don't get the message. That's howkay. It's so chaotic. There'll be there will be people who don't get the message. And there will be people who will not get the message because on purpose Hamas will not let them get the message. To get out. There will be people who understand what's happening but can't get out. And if you think Hamas is gonna let everybody get out and lose their ability to talk about how civilians are suffering in Gaza at the hands of Israel, then you're crazy because they're not going to let that happen. So therefore, I declare this a bad plan because it's based on a false premise, which is you could successfully get out of Gaza every single person who is not a direct combatant threat to Israel, and you can't.
Speaker 2: How do you what would you if you have any idea? Do they drop leaflets? How do they go about trying to articulate, hey, get the hell out of here?
Speaker 1: That is one of the methods they do drop leaflets, and they try to send word over and they get on they get on PA systems and make announcements. But it's just it doesn't mean you could ever say we now know everybody there is a bad guy. So what he's saying is we'll just assume everybody there is a bad guy and then we're going to do a thing. I mean, a lot of the world has already turned against Israel on this and if they do this where they absolutely stop any food, medical aid, water there, they may never recover.
Speaker 2: Well, that's not legal, right for the Geneva Convention, it's.
Speaker 1: Not, but their thing would still be. But you can't do that to civilian populations. And they're going to say, we're not doing it to civilian populations. We told all the civilian population to get out. We're only doing it to enemy combatants. And then that's the big argument is are you is every single person there an enemy combatant? Still, that's why it's a bad plan. There's no for Israel to prove that they're not violating the Geneva Convention. It's just that they have to figure out another way. Bill on vacation, Wayne Resnik here sitting until nine, Amy King is here, Neil is here, and is here, Elmer's here for Kono. That's your crew today and we are a continuing handle on the news. Uh. This is another story that is related to what Neil brought up about the mindset of a Benjamin Netanyahu in Israel and what kinds of things he might be capable of ordering with regard to retaliating against Iran for their missile attack and in regards to the next steps with regard to Gaza, and this this is a little window I think further maybe into the mindset. You know, there was a gentleman named Hirsh Goldberg, Poland who was taken hostage and killed by Hamas, and his parents have been in the media and talking about it, and they did an interview with Anderson Cooper on CNN and the only thing I want to focus on, because a lot of it is just what you would expect, how heartbroken they are and all those things. But they said that at one point they expressed concern to Israel that as the military pressure mounted, that Hamas might start executing hostages, and they say officials from Israel assured them that that was not going to happen.
Speaker 2: And it did.
Speaker 1: And the point being, again, did they believe it might happen but they told them otherwise? Did they actually not believe it would happen when in fact it did. Is this more akin to when they had a lot of intelligence telling them I'm talking about Israel. Now, they had a lot of intelligence telling them that Hamas was going to launch the kind of attack against them that they did on October seventh, And yet somehow either didn't want to stop it or failed to stop it, So that would be some kind of incompetence. I don't know how else to characterize it. Or is this some kind of two faced chicanery on the part of Israeli officials saying things to the face of the parents of hostages that maybe they know they shouldn't be saying because they're not entirely true. But imagine expressing your concern, being told you're crazy, that's not going to happen, and then the very thing you were concerned about happens and there's still stuff going on over there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as that continues, Israel continues to pound Lebanon and gods, and of course Lebanon's firing back, and Israeli airstrike has hit an apartment building in northern Lebanon, killing at least twenty one people, according to the Lebanese Red Cross. The strike comes a day after a Hesbel drone attack on an army base in northern Israel killed four soldiers. All of them were nineteen years old. Well, so you've got the only thing I'm not hearing about. And if I'm missing something, Amy or Neil or anybody, if I'm missing it, just pipe in because we're hearing about back and forth now between Israel and Iran, and we're hearing back and forth attacks between Israel and Hesbelah in Lebanon, which is a proxy for Iran, and we're hearing about Israel doing strikes and things in Gaza. The only thing I'm not hearing about is retaliation coming out of Gaza. And that's interesting, it might speak first of all, maybe I'm just missing those incidents.
Speaker 3: They're still firing, they are.
Speaker 1: Still firing back. Yeah, all right, let's switch gears to a completely different situation and the threat of a lawsuit.
Speaker 2: This is interesting. So we heard about VEM. Miller forty nine just this past Saturday, was arrested there in Coachella with the Donald Trump rally that was going on there, that his campaign rally, And they found this man to have a lot of weird stuff in his vehicle, including those sovereign license plates on his unregistered car that said, you know that I don't really have to listen to you, Nina Niner. And then they had loaded weapons, which is illegal to take from Nevada, I believe, to California, and all this stuff. Well, he got he's gotten mad. And in a video statement he released on Monday, is calling for local lawman's claims that he posed an assassination threat false and defamatory, and that he's a staunch supporter of Republican nominee Donald Trump. There So now he's going after Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco, who is not a not one to sit in the back quiet. I kind of like it about him actually, that he's kind of an upfront fellow. But he said he stands by his comments and his department's actions and would handle the incident the same way if it happened tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Threatening a lawsuit.
Speaker 4: Was he was arrested on weapons charges. He wasn't arrested on attempted assassination, but says he might sue because of Chad Bianco's comments that the sheriff said he probably thwarted a third assassination attempt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, well filing that lawsuit.
Speaker 2: When you look down the list of things in the car and the situation, I would have said the same. I mean, it's not really it's like, that's not what I was doing. It's like, Okay, you had multiple loaded weapons that you crossed state lines.
Speaker 4: With which he said he didn't know that was illegal. Okay, I'm just saying, I'm just saying what he knows, what.
Speaker 1: He thought that.
Speaker 2: He said he didn't know that it was illegal to have the magazine.
Speaker 4: You are correct, he said he didn't know it was illegal to have those weapons in California. He also said he's not a member of that sovereign.
Speaker 2: Society, although he had the sovereign license.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and he had several passports with several different names on.
Speaker 2: It and driver's driver license. But I would say, you know, I don't want to get sued. It's just my opinion. What did you say yesterday when he said the most beautiful statement, constitutional opinion?
Speaker 1: Yeah, based on publicly available information.
Speaker 2: Yes, everything I see he strikes me as being nuts.
Speaker 1: He has no case for a bunch of reasons, because how are you going to prove that when Sheriff Bianco said, hey, I think we may have thwarted an attempt, But that was a false statement that Bianco knew was false or had reason to believe was false. That's his opinion of a situation. Not to mention that he is a law He is a law enforcement official speaking officially about law enforcement matters, which means he gets more leeway in terms of what he says. So it's just you can threaten a lawsuit. That's not the same thing as filing a lawsuit. I don't think there'll be a lawsuit. If there's a lawsuit, it's being thrown out, you know, a preliminary at a preliminary stage.
Speaker 2: You may or may not know this, but you brilliantly had experience with the folks because they go they would go through the tax court, and you were explaining how you dealt with them. In your mind, if they don't recognize the courts and they're sovereign out of the how do they sue someone in the courts that they don't recognize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, such a good question. Listen, they recognize the authority of the government. When they need something that only the government can do, Suddenly they will recognize the The alternative is, and I've seen this happen. He files the lawsuit in some fake sovereign court in his room, and then you've got to figure out who's gonna who's gonna serve the loss. It's look, it's please, here's the thing we're talking about.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: We're trying to talk about it and and give it some do respect as a legitimate thing that maybe we think is wrong. But no, no, it's just craziness, that's all it is. And any time that those people come up against the government because there's an issue, they always lose every time, so they don't it doesn't it's a thing you should dismiss. Like flat earthers. They are the flat earthers of governmental theory. The acting US Labor Secretary Julie Sue went to Seattle yesterday to try to get this strike by Boeing factory workers to resolve itself sooner rather than later. There's about thirty three thousand Boeing workers on strike. This strike now has entered its second month. They want a forty percent wage increase over four years, so ten percent a year each year for four years, and I remember Boeing offered them I think thirty percent and they said that's not enough. And then Boeing said, oh, well then you can't have it. We're taking it off the table. We're taking off the table the thing you already told us you don't want. This is like Neil, when you've made dinner for the family and you put a plate of Brussels sprouts in front of Max, your delightful son. You go, here are Brussels sprouts, and he said, I don't want to eat that crap. And then you go, well, now you can't have any I don't think. I don't think you've scored a point, and I don't think Boeing scored a point. I break up with you first. Yeah, exactly. So in any event, Bowie, here's the thing. So the strike's been going on since September thirteenth. On Friday, after business hours, Boeing released a statement saying, you know what they're gonna do. They're gonna take five billion dollars in losses. They're going to book those losses, and they're gonna cut seventeen thousand jobs. Now supposedly, none of the jobs that they're gonna cut are any of the workers who are on strike from I am the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. They need more any more letters in their acronym, I think. But it's still like the the The union's on one track, which and Boeing's on another track. Boeing is on a track of a company that's that's in a downturn and headed probably for disaster, almost like a thing, almost like a thing that's in the sky flying high, but then but then it starts like it starts to drop and drop and drop, and then at the end of that it it crashes and is destroyed. It's almost like that. You and the union seems to be talking like and I'm I'm I'm still on the side of the union, but they seem to be talking like they're working for a company that's on the up and up whose future looks bright. I'm not so sure that that's true. But in any event, let's see if Acting Labor Secretary Julie Sue can bring these parties closer together. You know, the FEDS got involved with the dock workers' strike and shortly thereafter they had a resolution, or at least they had an agreement to go back to work while a new contract was put together. So maybe it'll be effective.
Speaker 4: FEMA workers coming under fire. A man in North Carolina it's been arrested for allegedly threatening harm against FEMA employees responding to Hurricane Helene. Captain Jamie Keever with the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office said that William Parsons was armed with a handgun and a knife. He's been charged with a misdemeanor. Parsons was arrested in his car outside a grocery store that is functioning as a storm relief site.
Speaker 1: I heard that they're actually not just this guy threatening while also having weapons, but that they're groups of people going around saying they're hunting for FEMA workers, which is why FEMA told them to get out and stop operations. Not just stop operations, stop operations and leave the area. I don't know how much confirmation there's been, but I mean, you know, the rumor is circulating that there are groups of people saying we're out hunting for FEMA workers.
Speaker 2: Well, deep enough rumors or at least possible actualities there that FEMA said, Okay, we're going to pull out. I don't know that they do that unless they thought there's some sort of danger, which is scary as hell.
Speaker 4: Well, right, they have resumed their door to door operations though they just paused them.
Speaker 1: Okay, now they're back at it. That's good.
Speaker 2: With guns and flak jackets everything else. No, that's just me. Vice President Kamala Harris, vice president slash current president. No, that's too much. Vice President Kamala Harris has agreed to sit down and for an interview with Fox News. Brett Bear is they announced on Monday, and they're gonna tape it in Pennsylvania and me twenty five thirty minutes of questions scheduled to air October sixteenth at six pm Eastern time for special report with Brett Bar.
Speaker 3: That's three pm our time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know when are they gonna have time to edit it?
Speaker 1: And no, oh and make her look bad?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is that what you're implying?
Speaker 2: Well? To make her look good? I mean, why not? So?
Speaker 1: Now? Will Will? Former President Trump agreed to do an interview with Rachel Maddow.
Speaker 3: I don't know. He's interviewed with pretty much everybody though.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think at this point any any outlet he goes on is a.
Speaker 1: Hostile except for that is that is like Maria Bartiromo really really gave him a hard time, which she wouldn't at like two years ago, you would she would not have given him a hard time at all. No, And also I don't think Brett Bear, Brett Bear is not one of these you know, super extreme hostile guys, is he?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, it's gonna be a lot of fire. And also, look, I don't think he's like that. I think he's much more a responsible journalist than he is some partisan firebrand. And also, Kamala Harris can probably handle anything, unless he's like arm wrestle me right now to prove your fit to be president. I think she can handle anything. Well, now I think about it, she might be able to beat him in arm wrestling too. I don't know. I'm not prepared to say she couldn't beat Brett Baar in an arm wrestling contest. She never shows her arms. She always she's always wearing sleeves. We don't even know. She might be buff under there. She might have some guns, yeah, she might. Well, she has some guns.
Speaker 3: Yes, she has at least one, right, she might have others.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I just ran a marathon. What were you saying?
Speaker 1: Oh you know what, I can't repeat it. I have to go run a marathon.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I've been running marathons all day.
Speaker 1: I'm running a marathon right now.
Speaker 2: You know what. I was running a marathon while I was having a sit down, not but five minutes ago.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's one of the best times to run a marathon.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, me.
Speaker 1: How many marathons have you run today?
Speaker 3: M none? But I did do a ten k last month.
Speaker 2: Oh well, don't talk about it. I see.
Speaker 4: I'm always saying that because I've never done that before. It was sort of a big deal for me to run a ten k. I didn't run it said, I did a ten k.
Speaker 2: So last week you walked a lot. Well, then I did a ten k two over the past three months.
Speaker 3: Yes, anytime you go to Disneyland you do at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah. All right.
Speaker 1: It's KFIM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, So tune us in while you're running those marathons. It's the Bill Handle Show. He's on vacation, Wayne resnik here till nine, Neil is here, Amy is here. We're doing for you. Handle on the news. And Starbucks is scaling back their special deals and promotional offers. It is a move by the new CEO, Brian Nickel to reposition Starbucks. Here's two things he wants to accomplish with this. One, Let's make Starbucks a premium brand again, because when I think high end coffee, I don't think of Starbucks. And also, The other thing is when they do these big deals, because they they would do buy one, get one free or fifty percent off deals and they would get slammed. And guess who gets slammed. The parists gets slammed, not just with the increase in orders because people are cheap, but also because with the special requests all the time. And so he's trying to address both of those problems, and he basically it sounds like what he wants to do is return Starbucks to its roots as a community coffee house where you go and you stay there and you hang out in comfortable seats, rather than a place where you get on an app and you order two for one frappuccinos and go and pick it up and get the hell out.
Speaker 2: He really wants a homeless people now in there. So the community has changed rapidly pass.
Speaker 1: And they're losing They've lost business. Their sales are down for two straight quarters.
Speaker 2: Because you can get great coffee everywhere now, yeah I can. I can throw a rock in my neighborhood and hit ten fantastic, world class coffeehouses.
Speaker 1: Well, to be to be fair, you live in Hipsterville, so of course you have right. How far are you from that intelligentsia on sunset. You want me to give you a map of my house? No, I just said house. Put it this way. Would you would you walk there? Or would you feel like it's too far to walk?
Speaker 2: I would take my helicopter like a normal person.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: You like the marathon that I just ran, And if.
Speaker 1: You like the deals in the app from Starbucks, there will be fewer of them and they will be further between. Oh, baseball.
Speaker 4: In the news, Clayton Kershaw's got the blues, the Dodger Blue. He has announced that he plans to return to the Dodgers for his eighteenth season.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen a lot this season. He was He had.
Speaker 4: Shoulder surgery that kept him out until July twenty fifth, and then he came back, and then he got a bone spur in his left toe, so he sidelined again. He only pitched like five seven games this year.
Speaker 1: All right, But hopefully next year, hopefully his eighteenth season will be chock full of games.
Speaker 4: He's iconic. I'm thrilled at Kirk Show's coming. Yeah, he's all right. He's okay, ball thrower, Wow, sports talk.
Speaker 2: He likes to get the w.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's competent. He's competent and taking a ball in his hand and making it go away from his body toward another guy who's waiting to catch.
Speaker 2: It, thrust in speed. Good for him, he seems like a nice guy. All right. This is a horrible, horrible story, and you've got to wonder how the hell this came down. Bizarre bizarre, grizzly crime. Popular hiking trail in San Gabriel Mountains. Nineteen year old man reportedly stabbed his father to death. So the victim here has been identified as well known, award winning war photographer, photojournalist and a professor at the University of the Arts in London, sixty one year old Paul Lowe, and he was found dead at the scene a mere low His nineteen year old son has been identified as the on suspicion suspicion of murder. The county Medical Examiner says the cause of death was stab wounds in the neck.
Speaker 1: The bizarre twist here is that the victim his father, was a war photojournalist. The idea being he was in all kinds of super dangerous place is and came out fine, and then you know his own son.
Speaker 2: And it's just straight up mental illness, or if there's some backstory. Yeah, I don't know, nothing to justify it, just yeah, curiosity.
Speaker 1: True Value. When I say to you the two words true value, what do you think of? I hope it's hardware, Yeah, the True value hardware stores. Well, True Value has declared bankruptcy and they're going to sell itself to a rival, the Do It Best. But here's the thing this is, this is I don't know if it's weird, but you have all the True Value stores everywhere. They're not part of this bankruptcy. Nothing's happening to them. It's True Value, the wholesaler that sells all of this hardware stuff to the stores. That's what's going bankrupt. And Do it Best also has this big, you know, wholesale component to it. So I think what will happen is some of these True Value stores may become rebranded and they won't be getting their saws from True Value. I don't think True Value is even really technically a parent company of the stores. It's like two businesses using the trade name True Value. A series of independently owned stores, and then a big company that sells the products that those stores sell to you. But in any event, the main thing is it's a bankruptcy, and then do it best has filed what they call a stocking horse bid. You know what that is. So here's what happens. So you you've you've declared bankruptcy, and then before before anybody can get into like bidding for you or whatever, a company can do what's called a stalking horse bid right out of the gate premature basically, and then what that means is nobody can bid less. It sets a floor for what you're gonna get, and that's what do it best at one hundred and fifty three million dollars. So that's why True Value is already saying we're just gonna we're just gonna sell to do it best for one hundred and fifty three million dollars, shut it down. At least they'll have the supplies necessary to board up the windows and everything at headquarters.
Speaker 2: Well else are you gonna sell it to?
Speaker 1: They do it well, there's d it center, there's a home depot or lows.
Speaker 2: They don't do it best? Why go through with you already know where you're going do it best? All right?
Speaker 1: That is handle on the news when we come back Governor Newsom did sign the Gasoline Bill, designed to lower the price of a gallon of gas in California and prevent you from experience those price spikes. We talked about some of the people who don't like it and why they don't like it yesterday. Now there's a new group of people who have come out to say we don't like it either for our own reasons, and we'll talk about them. It's KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app