Speaker 1: Want to stay up to date with everything that's happening on the show, or do you have a story that you'd like to submit for one of our listener Stories episodes. You can get in touch with the show via the website at www dot hauntedukpodcast dot com, on Instagram at Haunted UK Podcast, on x at Haunted ukpod, or you can email us at contact us at hauntedukpodcast dot com. We're also on Facebook and TikTok, and if you want to support the show, you can do it via either Patreon or Coffee. Both platforms have exactly the same content, but work in slightly different ways. One of the advantages of Patreon is its sleek user interface. But if you want to avoid those pesky additional charges Apple, Google and Patreon apply to your subscription, then why not give Coffee a try. Simply open a browser window and type ko hyphen fi forward slash Haunted UK Podcast. That's Coffee Forward slash Haunted UK Podcast and you'll soon find us. Whichever platform YouTube, We're sure you'll enjoy the bonus content. Thanks for listening and enjoy the episode.
Speaker 2: Are the aspects of they known that you would like to cover in future editions?
Speaker 3: Loads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a big question.
Speaker 4: I'm starting with issue in issue too, we've got we're starting to tickle out a little bit. So I've got I've got something in there about the shadow timeline.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this this.
Speaker 4: The shadow timeline is is are we are we currently on a on a different timeline to the one that we're meant to be on? Has has there been has there been a shift in reality?
Speaker 2: My god, that's so interesting.
Speaker 4: Disrupted the timeline and we've stewed off into something probably when they invented extendards. Probably there's there's there's something here that shouldn't be here, and that's probably it. But no, there's there's there's something about that in the in the in the next issue, and i'd quite like And in issue three, I think we've got something which a lot of people forget about but is fascinated me as a kid.
Speaker 3: Is the Bermuda Triangle.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yes.
Speaker 4: God, the amount of things that happen there still to this day and now it's kind of it's almost a commonplace. They just they just go, yeah, oh, there's another plane just disappearing. Where'd that boat come from?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: There's all sorts of things happen in there, so I'd like to have a good look at that. We've also got the Inn Issue three, a really interesting article I think is interesting anyway about Chernobyl Right, okay, and basically the the disaster that that happened there, what has happened since an unexplained phenomenon?
Speaker 1: Right, Okay. I was just I thought you were going to come out with them. Oh, what's the point pleasant the math man?
Speaker 4: Well, yes, there is a type of Yeah, there's a there's a there is a moth man there. Yeah, that's yeah, and we've got that in the article. But there's lots and lots of other stuff. There's loads of apparitions and orbs, loads of unexplained lights and.
Speaker 3: And things like that.
Speaker 4: There's there's possibilities that some of the radiation has reacted with stuff, that magnetism is different there.
Speaker 3: There's you know, there's all.
Speaker 4: Sorts of really interesting skeptical arguments as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what sort of things are going on there?
Speaker 4: Well, there's there are there was a lot of people that died because of that particular disaster, maybe not straight away, but so since because there was a lot of people that were evacuated, but they were exposed to the highest level of radiation that's ever been recorded on the planet, but over twenty four hours before they removed, and all of them are dead to a person, there's there's nobody left. So there's there's a lot of ghost sightings there. There's a lot of there's a lot of shadow people. There's a lot of residual energy going on. There's time slips, and especially the closer that you get to the reactor that that did blow up or the sight of that which is still you know still to this day. There's there's a thousand mile mile exclusion zone around it because and the radiation levels are very very bad, very very toxic. But there's there's obviously people that research in the area and work in the area. They there's reports of light anomalies. So these are these are orbs, large balls of light which then seem to react when people are there, so they're not just it doesn't appear that they're natural. So they're going from point A to point B because the radiation is tampered with a lay line or something. If you're there, they they seem to censure there and come towards you. Wow and and in a couple of cases so encircle you. There's a lot of there's so there's a lot of that happening in different areas. That there's a town nearby that was completely evacuated. That's got that's where this potential mothman is.
Speaker 1: It's appropriate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's quite a few.
Speaker 4: Sightings of that over the last twenty years, and there are lots there are other anomalies and and there's there's there's also potential UFO activity there as well as certainly stuff doesn't seem to act normally. If there are aliens knocking about, they may have visited to have a look. I don't know, but there are certainly as a hotspot Chernobyl, given its tragic circumstances and the fact that also it's in northern Ukraine, it used to be part of the USSR at the time, there was a lot of secrecy about it, and also the fact that really even to this day, even that even the truth of what happened is not one hundred percent known. The official explanation for the disaster is part tech failure and part human error, but there are lots of theories about other ways that that may have happened. In the first place, including well, I think in the official version the reason that it happened is because they conducted a test in live conditions by switching off the cooling system to see if the reactor would be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was to test the backup generators.
Speaker 4: But that official explanation defies logic. I mean, what these are scientists. You're not going to turn off a cooling system on a reactor to see if it works. It doesn't work on a live nuclear reactor. But whatever happened there happened, and then there's a there's a cause and effect afterwards where it's created lots and lots of new phenomenon, and there wasn't any stories of any phenomenon paranormal phenomenon in the area before the disaster. So as a magazine, you know, that for me is an interesting thing. It so it brings in elements of the paranormal or the unknown, but within a modern setting and something which is in recent I mean when that all happened, I was at school. It was it's not, you know.
Speaker 3: Ancient history. I would like to think it was an.
Speaker 4: Ancient history, but also you know, we we continue as well. And in issue three, we're going and bringing in We're doing a vampire special, so we want to we want to talk about the origins of vampires. We want to talk about vampire horror in the in the gothic horror context, and uniquely is the vamp scene. The vampire scene in the UK is actually very strong, and there's several thousand people who pretty much live their lives as vampires. Apart from, you know, they don't go around, you know, drinking blood from strangers next in that regard, but certainly the aspects of their lifestyle is a kind of offshoot of the Gothic well a fairly extreme offshoot where in some cases people you know, sleeping coffins, they have had their teeth done so they've got fangs, they drink blood.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's a subculture.
Speaker 4: And I'm interested in understanding that and and and and also giving giving that subculture a look at and a platform without passing any judgment at all. You know, it's it's it's these people aren't doing you know, anything anyone any harm. There are examples of vampires in legend and in in kind of in reality and or things that could be So the origins of where vampires come from is really interesting, I think so. And then so putting together a special like over a few pages where we explore the origins, explore the film portrayals, the literary fiction, but also the the real life impact on fans of the genre. Who are who are you know having lifestyle aspects of it?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: Is it a mystery? Yeah, it is to me, so I'd like to read about it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: We always draw the interview to a close by asking our guests this following question, and this is always a great one because it gives us a really good insight to the people that we've interviewed in the past. So, do you have a spooky film or book recommendation or both? Is there something that stied with you that you would recommend and you know, our listeners and us as well, a book and a film.
Speaker 3: Definitely, definitely.
Speaker 4: I mean, I love, I love it all, but I mean Amateurville horror because I was I was a kid.
Speaker 3: It's it's scared me the Bejesus out of me.
Speaker 4: Instead does Yeah, I can't even think of anything more scary than that I've ever seen. But I love I'm just rewatching because I've got loads of spare time, obviously, not just rewatching Supernatural the whole, you know, the whole, Dean and Sam Winchester, you know, fighting demons and stuff. And I used to love Buffy as well, So it's it's it's it's funny what I what I do. And I completely missed Supernatural really the first time around because I was busy doing other stuff. So but I would really recommend them. Supernatural is absolutely brilliant some of the some of the plot lines and some of the that it gives you knowledge of the of some of the different aspects of the supernatural and the paranormal book wi as well. I love the classics, and I think Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is genius.
Speaker 3: Also.
Speaker 4: Mary Shelley's from my neck of the well, not not where I live. She she's she's buried in in Bournemouth and her Yeah, she she's buried in in a church in Bournemouth Town center.
Speaker 3: If you're ever down that way, go and have a look.
Speaker 2: Well I did know that, and she was only nineteen when she wrote that. Just amazing.
Speaker 3: It was interesting.
Speaker 4: She's hanging around with Byron and and all of that sort of stuff at the time. I think that's that's it's really interesting. But the work itself and how how there's so much subcontext to it, and she's really clever in the way that she writes it. And it's not not just Frankenstein's Monster. It's not called Frankenstein's Monster, and it's not really about Frankenstein's Monster. Yeah, and that clever give given then what's followed with all of the films and all of the the the the art that it's inspired and the depictions that is inspired, and but its core themes are probably repeated now in not just in modern literature, but but you know, influences a lot of paranormal and supernatural films that are made. So it's a real piece of work. I also like the Dracula. The bram Stokers Virgin original is another great It's a great reason is it really takes you on a journey, a journey, and you're dipping back in history while you're doing it. So I quite like the original stuff and you can see where it's still influencing people one hundred years later. I mean, you know, I'd love to think that Enigma scene would would be influencing people in a hundred years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, it's a good interesting about Mary Shelley. I'm sure it was her husband that had a doppel ganga experience, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, it's interesting that you say about how he influences influences certain people even today, and I do agree with that in the sense of I think Frankenstein he's set out with the best intentions possible, but his judgment and his aims became clouded, which was which is what made him the monster in a sense. And it just I suppose it's a completely different thing. But with business, you look at say someone like Elizabeth Holmes who founded There on Us. She wanted a device to take a drop of blood that would then identify disease, that could deliver medication, that could do this, but in the end just became an absolute monster.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That's a really interesting parallel, actually, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean there's so many reflections in the modern day that can go back to those themes that Mary Shelley covered there. In fact, I think I'm going to reread it again because it's so good.
Speaker 3: I haven't read it for a few years.
Speaker 2: I think I will as well. Yeah, I can see it right now looking at me. I might go back to that. Yeah, frankenste I need to read your book as well, the Time Slip one that sounds fascinating, especially their little known time set stories.
Speaker 4: There's what it what the Times that book does is it kind of explains what they are and what what some of the theories are.
Speaker 3: So it goes into that side.
Speaker 4: And stories from history, and then it's got some some accounts in it, some real accounts. But that's that's that's good that that's on our website or Amazon.
Speaker 2: We'll put the link in our shy notes.
Speaker 4: I've also got this one which is ghostly Accounts and Phenomenon. Again, it's it's pretty much the history of ghosts. So what I've done there is I've got a chapter dedicated to most of the main types of ghosts and then explaining what they are, what their characteristics are, what types of sightings are associated with them, a potted history of that particular ghost phenomenon happening, because most things go right back to Egyptian times and Roman types and things like that. That's also got in probably six or seven or eight of the chapters. I've got untold ghost stories in there, which I've specifically collected over the last again, probably four years, where I've managed to get a story that hasn't been massively told out there yet and said, well, okay, I'll put it in a book.
Speaker 3: Don't tell anybody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we like stories like that, don't we, Steve. I like the unknown stories we try to get. We try to look at a known cases, don't we Steve as much as we can.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we try our best. We do try our best. But the listeners are instrumental in, you know, helping us do that. They've been great.
Speaker 2: In the introduction of the latest edition of Enigma zine, you mentioned very briefly about being traumatized by a poltergeist in Yorkshire when you were a child.
Speaker 4: What I have done is I've written the account of that and that is an issue too. I shall fill you in with it now. I did have a poltergeist experience, and before before I tell you about it, what I would say is it scared me. Even looking at Google Maps to look at the pictures of the house from the outside that it happened in was a bit of a trauma for me.
Speaker 3: It was probably because it happened so young. But the story is so I'm.
Speaker 4: Originally from the Northeast, originally from County Durham. When I was a kid, just five years old, my dad died, unfortunately, and because I have had conversations with my father, who I didn't know was dead at the time when I was a kid, because it didn't tell.
Speaker 3: Me straight away. Wow, But that's a different story.
Speaker 4: My dad died and he died when he was young, so he's only fifty one. So I've got two older sisters, sixteen and thirteen years older than me. So I was the baby of the family and I was five, so they had both my sisters.
Speaker 3: Had moved out, so it was only me and my mother.
Speaker 4: So for the support and stuff like that, we my mother decided to move to Yorkshire because that's where my sister lived. And it was a little, tiny little village called Clifton, which is fairly close to a town called Edlington, which is next to Doncaster, and so this place, Clifton is kind of in between Doncaster and Rotherham, so it's to the south of Doncaster. Just a square of houses which were council owned in the middle of nowhere, completely surrounded by countryside and farmland. I think there was a quarry. There was definitely a maggot farm, you know. It was all rural and farmland around it. So the idea was I would move down to go to to start school. My mother would stay up in the Northeast to complete the sale of the house and then come to Yorkshire where she was buying in the house. So we were moving relocating, but I was gone first because I've got to go to school. They actually remember the day that we got this. So this place is so remote. There's just a few houses that there was no shops or anything. There was a there was a telephone box and a little square and then two or three times a week you would get a green grocer's van would come and you'd get the pop man.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And it was quite a pleasant sort of area.
Speaker 4: There was other kids who lived in the in the in and around the square. There was a couple of dogs opposite. My sister had a nice cat to play with. So it was a dyllic really until the first night that I was put to bed. So this is a two bedroom house. The two bedrooms upstairs and the small is this small spare bedroom is at the back of the house and it was kind of a box room, very very cold in there single glazing, so that it was it was cold, there was kind of felt damp in there. There was moisture on the on the windows and stuff like that. Wasn't very pleasant and I didn't like it at all. But anyway, it around about eight o'clock that night I was being put to bed. So back then, and even to some extent now, I like to draw and paint, and back then it's like coloring in and drawing and stuff like that, and I would before going to bed, I would always do things like drawing and coloring in and stuff like that and then drop off. So and that's what happened on this night, So I would have I must have dropped off, don't know what time it was. Wouldn't have been massively late, I thought. And then I was woken up by a pressure on my arm, on my left arm, and it was absolutely freezing cold. I mean I felt coldness on me, like as cold as a freezer. I opened my eyes and the bedside lamp was still on because I'd fallen asleep without switching it off. And everything that I'd been playing with was flying around the room.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, the rulers.
Speaker 4: The felt tips, the pens, the book. Most scary of all was a green pair of plastic scissors making a scissor movement. And it was freezing cold in there, and the curtains were up straight out in the air, and I cried out, but nothing came out, and I felt more of a pressure on my arm but also on my chest, so I couldn't move, and I couldn't make a sound, couldn't get anything out. And it would have been for a few seconds that everything was swirling around in the air, and then I managed to sort of break free and then shout and I went straight out the room, opened the door, straight out the room across the corridor, and burst into my sister's room. Her husband was on nights night shift, so he wasn't there. She was reading. And the needless to say, that was the last time I went in that back room. I told her what happened. I'll skip to some time later. Actually i'll skip to many, many many years later. Probably it was probably about ten years ago. I visited my sister at the time still lived in Yorkshire, but in a different place, and I said to her, I said, I said, do you remember that place she lived in in Clifton, And she went oh God, don't talk about that, honestly, And I said, do you remember I had this. I've got this weird kind of almost dreamlike experience where where I've there's been things flying around that that back room and I've ran in she said, I said, do you remember that? And she's gone, yeah, I remember it. I remember the night you did it. Because you stayed with us for another two months, and for those two months you were in a little bed at the at the bottom of our bed because you wouldn't go back in there. She got up immediately to go and have a look, and what she what she saw was nothing apart from so she's all nothing flying around, but she saw all of my stuff scattered around the room and it was very, very cold. But then she went on to tell me of other things that had happened to her in that in that house.
Speaker 3: Right the she had.
Speaker 4: Heard the lounge was the lounge downstairs. She had been in there alone at night a few times, and her footsteps upstairs in the room that that that this thing had happened to me. The cat wouldn't go in that room. It would it would sometimes sit at the top of the stairs and hiss at the at the door to this to this back room. She said, things would go missing, like she'd put something down and then a couple of minutes she'd go and get it, and it it wasn't there, and it would turn up in the back room, on.
Speaker 3: The bed or on the.
Speaker 4: And then she was having She was a few weeks after that, so this was there was only a few houses, but she was. She was talking to one of the neighbors out in the garden. And I think this might have even been after I'd moved out. I'd relocated. My mother had sold the house. We bought this other house, and I went and lived there in this and this was in this nearby town of Edlington, but she was still in Clifton at the time. And and she was talking to a neighbor, and the neighbor mentioned one of the people that had lived in that house previously was a was an old fellow who died there, and he was a hoarder, and he said She said that the neighbor said he used to used to fix cars and motorbikes and actually had an inspection pit dug in the saide garden. I remember that she said that all of the rest of the house was just full of stuff, bits of motor cars, bits of caravans, all sorts of things, and it was all full up and the only space that he had was the back bedroom which he used to sleep in, which is the small bedroom which this happened to me in and he died there. And she said he wasn't found for several weeks because he was a bit of a reclusive person and he didn't have any friends. He was found by a rent collector, a council rent collector who had broken into the property because the rent hadn't been paid for several weeks. And then he had found he had found this this bloke in the back room. And then she said the final thing that happened, she said, we were so we were so happy to get a transfer. They they moved to Edlington as well, in a they did a council house transfer and then they bought that the new that next council house off the council. But she said, we were so happy to leave there because it was really horrible, creepy, and I was there a lot on my own, she said, because her husband was on night shift a lot. And she said, the night before we moved out, we we we'd been packing everything away, and we've moved everything to the kitchen because there was a there was the kitchen had had a door which opened into a kind of the drive area was on the side. So they booked a van and then they could load up easily from there. So they packed everything up in boxes and it was all in the kitchen, had their last night in bed, woke up in the morning and every box was open. It all it had all been. She'd sealed them all. And she said, the final thing that happened was they were they had loaded up the van and they did a final check of everywhere in the house. They did a final check to see have we left anything, you know, because you have to leave the house and tea and you know, do the last minute hoovering and everything like that. And she went into the back bedroom and on the window sill was a blue, rusty toolbox and she'd never seen it before. It wasn't theirs at all.
Speaker 2: That's so creepy.
Speaker 4: And she some some weeks, all months after, she she bumped into the neighbor that she had that she had told her about the old bloke, and and she told her about She told her neighbor about the toolbox, and she said, oh, that was his. He had it at the back door all the time because he was always fixing stuff at the back door and he always had that rusty old box at.
Speaker 3: The back door.
Speaker 4: So it was that it was it was, it belonged to him. Wow, So I haven't The one thing I haven't done is I haven't gone back to that house and I haven't contacted the people that currently live there, and it's it's on Google map, so currently.
Speaker 3: There must be someone there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I haven't got I haven't had the courage to go and say knock on the door and ask if they've had any any anything happened there. That's my polterguy's story. I mean, I must be sensitive to these things.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean I don't feel it all the time. I only feel if some if something's haunted and maybe pick it up.
Speaker 3: And that's probably because of my grandmother.
Speaker 4: But that was I instantly didn't like that house, and it was it was really really scary, and you know, the bathroom was next to that room, and you know that was horrible as well, and it was it was all creepy and cold and horrible.
Speaker 1: So would you say that that experience really began to switch you onto the paranormal. I've only signed that because we interviewed Gal Porter a while ago, didn't we Murray and she mentioned doing was it dead Fimus?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, she was in a hotel, wasn't she?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was doing dead Fimus And she she was very, very skeptical at first, and she said it was just an offer that came up, and it was, well, do you want to you know you're going to do this year, I'll do it. And she said, you've got these like psychics running around changing into people and doing She said, I was not thinking, what the hell's going on here? And she was rather skeptical all the way through this until they went to a hotel. I think it was in Colorado, Yeah, it was Colorado, Yeah, and she sactually went into this room. She had no idea about the hotel, no idea about the room, no idea about the history, nobody mentioned anything, and she went into that room and she said, everything changed. There was this feeling in there. There was this horrible feeling that just literally grabbed hold of her. And was it a vision or something Marie that she had about? Was it children? Or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she sent those children there, and yeah, I think she sort of see them in the mind's eye if I remember rightly. But yeah, she definitely sensed you know, ghost children and children spirit children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she she became physically upset, burst into tears, and she literally said to the crew, we're going to have to start this. I need to get out, I need to get some air. And it was then that she was told what had actually happened in that room, some quite disturbing things with children and stuff. And it was that precise moment that really started to switch around, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think what you were saying remind me of what she said, because she goes into places and since then she can immediately pick up on activity or you know, there's the atmosphere has changed.
Speaker 1: So do you think that do you think that poltergeist encounter maybe open something up inside you to because again not just not just to be sensitive, but to also have that experience going circling all the way back to the windbreak with your two relatives.
Speaker 4: Possibly and also you know, before that incident had happened, I had that is when I had had a conversation with my dad who didn't know was dead at the time because I wasn't told straight away. It was only five, right, so they didn't tell me for about six months. And I had a conversation with my dad at the top of the stairs because he was back from back from hospital and I was very happy to see him.
Speaker 3: But by all accounts he wasn't back from hospital. He was dead.
Speaker 4: My mother was at the bottom of the stairs watching me at the top of the stairs talking to nobody.
Speaker 2: No, Oh, that's so sad.
Speaker 3: Death has been.
Speaker 4: I was exposed to it early on, and you and I've had it a lot in my life. You kind of get no, you no, you don't get numb to it at all, but you become more understanding of it. Yeah, And it's particular energies and things like that. And I think you can pick up on strangeness fairly easily. It's an instinct and I have it, but I don't get it very often. So I either don't go to anywhere that's very haunted very often, or when I when I do, it needs to be really haunted from to pick it up.
Speaker 3: But I do feel when I'm in those places now, that experience.
Speaker 4: In Clifton with a polterguy is scary because it happened to me as I was a kid. But what I would say is and qualify that as well, just to put it in the context. I had my father had just died. I had just found out that my father had died. There was some trauma in my family. Did that affect my young mind? Who knows? I wouldn't have thought so, because it was a very the experience was very real, and I remember it like it happened yesterday, and then recounting it again when I was writing the story for issue too, but also just telling it then now you kind of you know. I would absolutely swear on a stack of Bibles that it was absolutely verbat on what happened. But apart from that, when I think about these things, I'm not really scared. And one of the things is my grandmother, who was very you may have picked up as quite an influential character on me. She lived until she was ninety seven. She was born in eighteen ninety five. Wo and she or something like that. And she said to me, never be afraid of the dead, always be afraid of the living.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was her.
Speaker 4: Little mantra which puts you at ease. When you go into punted houses. It doesn't put you in ease when you go down the supermarket.
Speaker 3: But you know.
Speaker 4: What it di is is it kind of puts it in context. I think what she was trying to say was she was she had this gift. She was eleventh, the eleventh child in the youngest of eleven. She always spoke and to these people. She went to a spiritual church. She said that she could, you know, communicate with the with the dead. But you know, I was a young a young boy who would probably just you know, had just lost his dad. So you know, her words to me resonate and they probably were said to put me at ease, but it does actually come in handy advice wise not to be too scared of things, because what I think she's trying to say is that these things can't really hurt you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know what my grandmother is that exactly the same thing to me. And she was very so much she was very spiritual and she saw things. But it's your way, she's the same. Really, don't be scared of the dead. It's a living and it's it is true.
Speaker 4: You know, it's it's obviously something that you know, they they've had a lot more different life experience to us.
Speaker 3: They lived through wars.
Speaker 4: You know, I broke me near the other day. You have to listen to people that have had those deeper experiences. And I think when you've got tragedy like that all around you.
Speaker 3: Like that like in will wars and in.
Speaker 4: Death that happens in tragic circumstances. And certainly, I mean I could write a book about me Nana, and I probably will, because she had a lot of different things happened to her and a lot of a lot of tragedy in her life. Very it's very Catherine Cookson. Actually, actually I must just tell you this story. It's not very paranormal, but it's an example of how influenced I am. I think by Menana, I and all of my family would not be around today if it wasn't for a man who never met And this man who've never met was called Samuel Hall, and he is no relative. But what Samuel Hall was was my grandmother's first husband, and he died in the First World War. He died in Flanders, died in flanders Field. And if he hadn't given his life in the service of his country, none of us would be born, because my nanna then remarried my granddad and then went on to have you know, six or seven kids. There's all of us, et cetera, et cetera. So I own my very existence to somebody that I've never met, and I do plan to go to Belgium and visit he's grave, and I always obviously remember him on on on Poppy Day and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's beautiful.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a it's an example of the connections that we have and the fact that there are aspects of the paranormal which are normal. The emphasis is are normal, okay, and that some of these things that if we don't understand them, may well just be our ignorance. It may be a natural thing. Ghosts may well exist in different realms and in different ways. It's just they're not going to prove it anytime soon.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: The paranormal and the world of supernatural is kind of scary, but it's not as scary as real life. And it's certainly not as scary as these people having to live through world wars and you know, and all the tragedy that life can throw at you. Are those people in Chernobyl that we were talking about in the main show that lost their lives because of an accident or any of that. So I think it's it's good to have a respect for history and a respect for people and those that have gone before. And I don't think it's a surprise that some of those people that have gone before probably want to stick around sometimes.
Speaker 1: Again, that's that's a really good example as well of just how in a sense randomness can ply with people's lives. If that event hadn't have happened, I.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't be here, and also neither wouldn't my mother wouldn't be here. I would be in My sisters wouldn't have had a life. My You know that there's something by giving his life, Private Samuel Hall of the Durham Light Infantry gave his lie so that probably hundreds of direct descendants of my grandmother could live because we wouldn't have before then, because if he if he'd have come back from from the war. As you know, he was a married man, he had a child. He had left my grandmother to go off to war with her pregnant of course as well. So that's that's that's where it all gets a bit. Catherine Cookson. But you know, if he hadn't he gave his life so that several hundred people could could live and live on Without that, there may have been some other people born that were never born clearly, but you know, you don't know about that. What I do know about is the reality that I wouldn't be here without him. So I think it always pays to be respectful of the what what the people who have given their lives in any way s all connected or unconnected to us, because it all makes a difference.
Speaker 2: It does. It's nice that you feel you had that connection with him as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think you know, my grandmother, I often say, I mean she's you know, she was a really she was a lovely person, but I mean phenomenal, phenomenal. She was a tiny little thing, and you know, she knew everyone, and she.
Speaker 3: Knew everything pretty much.
Speaker 4: If if you go, if you would go down with bad news that you'd heard that someone that she knew had died, you went in to see as she'd tell you she hadn't she have a telephone? You know she hadn't she she knew before you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's amazing, you know it is.
Speaker 4: And she Yeah, she died. I look lucky enough because some people don't get it. But you know, she died when I was nineteen, so I had nineteen years of knowing her, which was a great thing. And my my daughter now as a grandmother, it's alive eighty three and they get on like teenage friends.
Speaker 2: I feel so lucky because my grandmother, my maternal grandmother, she well, she died nine ninety five, and she lived through the Second World War. I remember way into my teenage years her telling me about the Blitz, and I feel so lucky that I got that account, that first hand account.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm connected to two centuries ago because of my grandmother, you know. Yeah, and what she told me, because you know, I think we both share the gift of the gap. What she would tell us was, you know, about all of the family and all of the decense. So I've got a really good, strong knowledge of the history of our families before, way before I was born, you know, for the last hundred years before I was born. And that was because I listened to my grandmother when she told me. So I think my key message their kids, listen to your grandparents.
Speaker 3: You know they're not they're.
Speaker 4: Talking about you don't yet, you won't until you're about, you know, an older person like forty or thirty or twenty.
Speaker 1: Very very very true, very true, indeed, very true. So as a closer, Neil, can you just let us know, let us let the listeners now again where we can get where we can get the magazine from, and your books, and where we could get in touch with you if people want to report a sighting or an encounter anything like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, well, I definitely encourage people to get in touch, even if it's just to tell us how wrong we are. There's readers at enigmazine dot com as the email address. You can drop us a line on that any of your stories. But any suggestions, any feedback, any questions, anything like that, anything that you'd like to see in a future edition, or you would you know, just you know, tell us what you think, think, give us some constructive criticism. A nigmazine dot com is the main website. So on there we've got general content that isn't isn't in the magazine, but you can also buy a subscription. There's there's we've got obviously the print magazine, so it's a monthly magazine, and that that's available in W. H. Smith and Tescos and.
Speaker 3: The like, but we have her.
Speaker 4: You know, people are finding it hard to find it, so the only guaranteed way of getting a copy is to subscribe or buy it on the website as a back issue.
Speaker 3: So we've got it.
Speaker 4: We've got a shop to do that, which is on the nigazine dot com website. There are four subscriptions. You can buy a print subscription and get it sent through your door anywhere in the world or in the UK. Or you can buy a digital subscription via pocket mags, or you can the cheapest way of.
Speaker 3: Doing it is.
Speaker 4: A pdf. We have a pdf version which you can subscribe to so every every month you'll get the magazine in PDF form in your inbox. So that's all available on a enigmazine dot com, as are the books. They're available in the shop as well. We've got Ghostly Encounters and Phenomena, and we've got the Time Slip Phenomenon. They're also available on Amazon. And we've finally, for now we've got an alien book, which we've called Alien Phenomena. You see what we're doing there. Yeah, We've we've found a word. We're not going to let it go. So we've we've got that an alien phenomena that's coming out in April or May April, late April. Okay, and yeah, that's that's it nigmazine dot com. If you can't find it in the stores, just go to a enigmazine dot com.
Speaker 3: You can find it there.
Speaker 2: It is brilliant. I've loved reading through it. There's so much it's jam pat with stories, everything in there. It's great. Thank you so much for your time today, Neil. In this digital world, it's really refreshing and lovely to have a magazine that's tangible, you can flick through it, collect it and gets you away from your devices. So thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Maria, that's very nice. We're very kind words as well, and thank you Steven you for your kind words as well.
Speaker 1: No problem at all. Yeah, we've loved it. We've loved it, absolutely loved it.
Speaker 2: Well, please come back on. We'd love to have you back on.
Speaker 4: Well, try not to give so many plugs to books and magazines next time.
Speaker 1: If not at all, not at all, not at all.
Speaker 3: Take care, Neil.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: You're welcome.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Trans him him a Frank B.
Speaker 2: Bacton, Acton, Acton Battin.
Speaker 4: Can then regret the act prety at the property, at stating nat I saw them at Bating, at the table and natty data.
Speaker 3: Yet I saw them Retty by act. I saw him at the Latin