Speaker 1: It's time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust and standing by on telephone today because really it's just not a good day to be zipping around. Is Amy Fanny and she's with Oli. How we doing today?
Speaker 2: We're just doing fine. If I were younger, I would probably be out playing in the snow.
Speaker 1: I think I would have been too uh something about donuts. No, no, no, no, I wouldn't be doing that too. I'm too responsible. Then there you go.
Speaker 2: Having fun with snow ice cream.
Speaker 1: You go, hey, OLLI, we've got new classes coming.
Speaker 2: Up right, yes, like next week.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, my goodness sakes. For folks who don't know what Ollie is, it's a it's a great lifelong learning program. Tell us a little bit about Ollie For the folks who are on an issue, did well.
Speaker 2: Ollie is a program through Oklahoma State University for particularly for seniors. Actually, we don't care if you're interested in us. We're interested in you. So age isn't the factor. But it's the target market, if you will, is for seniors to keep us active and informed.
Speaker 1: And you have such a wide variety of different classes in order to do just that. What's on the horizon for the spring months.
Speaker 2: I am so excited about our spring schedule. It wasn't it didn't start out to be that way, but it's turned out to be a very patriotic session, which the timing is perfect. We have Alan Bretts, who's always done our great Decisions and that's kind of a current events type class that's really interesting. And we have also are sitting Judge Alan Jensen. He's gonna do a class on the US Constitution and since there's so much controversy with it and everything, this should be really really interesting. So then we have a retired professor from OSU who has moved in the area from still Water. He's gonna do a class on biers and stingers. Oh and this is those little environments that can cause great pain sometimes illness, like kicks and mosquitoes and those sorts of things. He'll tell us about, you know, what they are, what they do, how to fix whatever the damage they do, all that sort of things. So that should be really interesting and definitely an interesting class for the spring coming up. And these little creatures coming out of hiding.
Speaker 1: Well boy, yes. Then we have.
Speaker 2: Kelly Becker is going to do a class on aging springs opportunities, which is really really interesting. She's so good about teaching classes on teaching you how to live with life's little struggles that it might present. And then we have Russell Parrish and he's new to our teaching group, but he's going to do a creative writing class and I've promised to do more. So we haven't had a creative writing class for since COVID, so I'm anxious to do that again. We also have Kay Little is going to do a movie series of movies of historical events that should be really really interesting.
Speaker 1: Kay never said still she's always on the move.
Speaker 2: I have a hard time getting her because she is so busy.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on nailing her down.
Speaker 2: But he actually is the one that she volunteered to do this. You know, she says, hey, you know I can do this. I said, well, hey, I would love that. So then we get to the town Hall and here's another good lineup. I have Jim Kurd who's the new mayor, and Mike Bailey going to do a city update here. Again, Kay Little is going to do a presentation on Ellis Island and its history. Joe Todd has done some immigration interviews the people who have immigrated throughout Ellis Island. He's going to give those present those And then we have Mitsu O'Connor, who was a child in one of these Japanese camps during the war. She's going to talk about that. Then we have Maria Guess who always has a lot going on, and it's going to get an update on what's going on in her little baileywoock. Liz Nelson, who we've had on she did you know she was Killers of the Flower Moon in that she's kind of launched a movie career for her. She was always doing stuff, but that just raised her to a new level. So here again another busy person that I have a hard time trying down.
Speaker 1: Well, so far, you're about four for four on that, so you're doing great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I've been told I have a great power of persuasion and I don't tend to let that wig in any but anyway, so she's going to do a comedy skit, so that's kind of a nice little change. And then she volunteered to do this too. She told me the other day she was sick. She couldn't make it to our open house and she couldn't find a doctor. For immediate help, you know, and I sit, well, don't you people have medicine? Man? And she laughed and she said, oh, you're funny too.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Anyway, and then the last one I have scheduled is Jamie Hancock is gonna talk to us about the Walmart distribution sentence.
Speaker 1: You know, I understand they give tours out there, and I understand that that's really kind of a fascinating place they do, and.
Speaker 2: I want to set up a tour in the summer session. I set up tours to go to different places, and that's one of the places on my list to do.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm putting together the summer session. I have to have my speakers in in just a few days, but that's one of them that I tend to put on my list.
Speaker 1: Goodness, you're going to have a busy spring, and it sounds like you're off to a pretty good start for summer too. How do you find it all in? That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, I've worked very hard. I've kind of slacked off this last year because of so many surgeries, my new knees and all that. But anyway, yeah, I'm just so excited about the spring schedule because it's it's just got so much history and varied information.
Speaker 1: Where can people find out about the classes and where can we sign up?
Speaker 2: Okay, the catalogs are out. I have I left some at the library, that's our main source. I of course have plenty. I've left some of some of the senior centers world oh and the I haven't gotten over to the Community Center yet, but they will have some as well as a business center.
Speaker 1: Very good. So it's really easy to get a hand on them and take a look and start signing up for your classes. This is going to be a great spring.
Speaker 2: It really is. I'm really excited about it. And one of the things we've started in the ball session of having classes over at the West Side Community Center. Oh yeah, she's time to get you know, get things going over there. And we're still trying to get built back up since COVID and so it's just been a really great and it's it's a really good place over there to have the classes.
Speaker 1: It is. It's a wonderful facility. It's bigger on the inside than it looks from the out, and Chavon has done a wonderful job of making that just really a nice show place almost yeah.
Speaker 2: Well she reached out to join them, and so we have and it's worked out very well, very nice partnership. Yeah, it is that it's good for both of us.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well that's great. You know. I you know, I saw she was talking about Ollie and some of the things earlier this fall. Yeah, started thinking, said, boy, you know, if this takes off, this is really going to take off. It looks like it's really going to take off. So congratulations on that partnership.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm excited about that too. All that's great, And I'm also working on one of my goals when I started with Ollie was too even though it's a real I don't like the East word cheap education for.
Speaker 1: Seniors, but it's cost effective.
Speaker 2: Better. Yes, that's a better put. So I'm trying to also find ways that we can maintain the art. Operating is through memberships. There is a grant, but basically memberships. Our speakers arevolunteer. But of course it costs, and this is one thing about being with Westside Partnership like this. It doesn't cost us anything for a room to head the classes, where most other places we do pay something for that. So we do have expenses and we have to meet those because we do have some paid employees. But anyway, trying to find a way that we can bring in more people who find this not affordable in their budget. But I, like myself, wants to be very involved and stay fairly active. So we're trying. We're looking for ways to maybe some sponsorships from some other other organizations such as Roadyer Rotary or you know, some of those, but a sponsorship that could help other people do this, and that's what we're looking at.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, that'd be great and good luck to you on I had to you know, when you kind of ease to soften it, as they say, a little bit easier to take in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the membership. We have a premium membership that's two hundred dollars and that lets you take any classy. The only expense you might have would be is, say, if you had an art class, which I don't have on my schedule, but you would need to get your supplies or whatever. That would be the only additional expense. But that's very inexpensive when you go to adding it all up because the individual class, if you use the other membership, which is forty dollars, that gets your membership, but you have to pay twenty five dollars for each class. So that adds pretty quickly. It does so, but and the two hundred dollars is the best deal. But if you can't afford that amount right.
Speaker 1: Up front, that's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. So this is what I'm trying to find is a way to keep the income where it needs to be, but I also make it available to more people. This is one of my big goals and we're working on it. I've got some people that I just talked to yesterday that I think that I can get some help with promoting this program.
Speaker 1: So I'd be wonderful ALI scholarships or ALI ships for sure, that'd be good.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and we do thanks for mentioning the scholarships. We do have those and anybody can apply for them. And it's just a given, you know, there's no real qualifying But that would forgive that four dollars charge. However, you would still need to pay the twenty five dollars for each class. Now, the town hall is free, so anybody that wants to come to any of those little it's eight weeks. So anybody that wants to come, all they have to do is I have assigning a sheet when they come in. That's all they have to do is just sign up.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: And then we can reach out to them, you know, about future things and maybe that will encourage them to become members as well. But the town hall is free. I think everybody should drop in and check us out.
Speaker 1: All right, Hey, Amy, I want to thank you for dropping by today, all by albeit my phone to tell us about Allie in this wonderful spring sessions we have coming up here. And once again, folks, so you can pick up a catalog at the Bartonsville Public Library and many of the centers public centers around town that they deal with seniors and around the community, I should say, at large, and once again, this is going to be a great year. And congratulations on Nail and down all these busy people. That's that's something else itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not so hard to get people to speak one time, but to get them to do a series like you know, the Constitution. That's sort of saying it's like, I'm a very busy person. Yes I understand that, but we.
Speaker 1: Need you, we need you badly. Well, thank you very much for being with us. Stay warm and stay cozy and we'll speak with you soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, yeah, I'll be back to talk about the summer one.
Speaker 1: You bet you. You better be. We'll put you on the calendar right now, or we'll come looking for you. All right.
Speaker 2: Thank you. No, I should not be a factor.
Speaker 1: It should not. Amy, thanks for being with us.
Speaker 2: Today, Okay, Tom, Well, thanks for having
Speaker 1: Me all right, boths you've been listening