Speaker 1: Fight us on Instagram at the Sandy Show official Tricia, what's the first thing that made you laugh today?
Speaker 2: Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true and stick like an octopus to your face.
Speaker 3: I have octopus friends.
Speaker 4: You do.
Speaker 1: I was there was a new octopus thing on TV that I saw My life something with it. It was a rip off of the documentary that you watched. He was about this teacher.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Another version of someone that fell in love and married an octopus.
Speaker 2: They didn't marry an octopus on the one that I liked. You just try and shame the one I liked all the time. Everybody liked it. It won awards.
Speaker 1: I know, I won a Documentary award for document one of.
Speaker 2: The best documents of the years, was like four or five years ago. Really good, My octopus teacher?
Speaker 4: How did you land on that? Do you remember?
Speaker 2: I might have heard about it or it might have just been in my you might like this sections And I watched the preview and it was only like an hour and a half long.
Speaker 3: It was really good, Like I cried at the end.
Speaker 4: Was about a guy that made friends with an occopus, right, yeah, for.
Speaker 2: Like a year and visited it every day and it just was really good. You wouldn't think that you'd ever have feelings for an octopus, but you too in this documentary.
Speaker 4: Feelings for an octopus.
Speaker 3: Yes, but they don't marry each other.
Speaker 1: All right, know, I was just throwing them in there at little decision.
Speaker 4: It up a little bit.
Speaker 1: That's all coming up on the show today. We're gonna play song quiz. We've got to get out of Classic rock jail where we found ourselves last week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was embarrassing, it really was.
Speaker 1: We've been on a bit of a cold swamp with that. But we've got that coming up. And Tritia's got the story we love. In a bit, what do you have?
Speaker 2: We have an update about the Kentucky Derby, the winner, the jockey who rode the winning horse, he's got in trouble for something.
Speaker 3: I was very surprised about this. All right, stay with us.
Speaker 1: The Story we Love is coming up on Austin's eighties station. What three point one. Tritia's got the story we love in just a moment. The jockey that rode the winning horse in the Kentucky Derby is in a little bit of trouble. She'll fill you in in just a second. You know, we just got there with the Mother's Day. What's our next holiday? Memorial Day?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 2: What's next Memorial Day? And then our daughter's birthday? Yeah, that's coming up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yea, I'm sure the sweet sixteen birthday for our daughter.
Speaker 3: I know, that's incredible to me.
Speaker 1: Coming up at the end of the month. And then we get into all the June and stuff. That's when we really get into birthday season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, Landry kind of kicks it off.
Speaker 2: Landry kicks it off, and then it's my mom and my best friend and you and your dad and yeah, all the things, a.
Speaker 4: Lot of presents coming these stories. We love.
Speaker 5: Good morning everyone, And now from the Lestra Old Studios it is.
Speaker 1: Less up.
Speaker 2: So everybody knows by now that the horse Sovereignty won the Kentucky Derby a couple of weeks ago, but apparently his victory is tainted because apparently his jockey.
Speaker 3: Whipped him too much.
Speaker 2: I did not note that this was a rule the Horse Racing Integrity and Safety Authority allows riders to whip their horses six times during a race and that's it. But apparently Sovereignty's jockey, named Junior Alvarado smacked his horse eight times during the Kentucky Derby race, and apparently it was the second time he violated that role in the last one hundred and eighty days. I don't know how in the middle of a race that that's frantic and goes off that's fast, that you are able to keep count of how many times.
Speaker 3: You hit your horse with the whip.
Speaker 2: Because of that violation, he has been fined sixty two thousand dollars, which is twenty percent of what he earned his Derby winnings for three hundred and ten thousand dollars, and he is suspended for two races. Jockey said he knows he messed up, but it just couldn't really keep track of it. You got a lot on your mind in a race that close. Also on a side note, Sovereignty's owner has already said that you won't compete at the Quakness, which means that Sovereignty will not be a candidate to win the Triple Crown.
Speaker 1: Right old journalisms back in there for this for Theatness.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, is it because Sovereignty journal was going.
Speaker 4: To run in it anyway?
Speaker 1: And uh, interesting rule six times you're.
Speaker 3: Allowed six times. That's it. He smacked him eight times.
Speaker 1: Almost makes you wonder if they should be disqualified, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like if I was the second place horse, I would be like.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, it broke the rules, right, No, I mean I don't know. I don't I don't know how much of the the when they have those whips.
Speaker 3: Is it just to let them know to go? Now?
Speaker 2: Is the time to really really go? Is it really making them run faster? Is it just the notice you gotta go now? You know what I mean, that's what it is. Really went to the whip on that home stretch. Remember we were watching I go watch this. All of a sudden, this horse realizes he's in a race, and the jockey really went to the whip on the on the like now's the time exactly. The horses aren't, aren't. It's not like they're injured from the whip. No, no, no, not as a stimulant.
Speaker 1: It's a message, right right, It's a message like, hey, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 3: One without the two extra whips.
Speaker 1: Probably, Hey, we'd appreciate it if you follow us on Instagram. It's at the Sandy Show. Official Facebook is at the Sandy Show. Radio car.
Speaker 2: All right, Sandy, first question, care or don't care to find out how much bees would make? Let me change it to this, how much a jar of honey would cost if bees were paid minimum wage, bees got paid for their work. What we would pay for one jar of honey?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know why I care about this, but yeah I did.
Speaker 2: One hundred and eighty two thousand dollars. Why these were paid minimum wage? A jar of honey would be one hundred and eighty two thousand dollars in labor.
Speaker 4: That's how much you would charge, or the bees would charge you for labor and labor.
Speaker 2: For all the stuff they have to do to make the honey to fill one jar?
Speaker 1: Boy, is there anything better than honey right out? For the thing? The comb or whatever it's called.
Speaker 2: My grandfather used to have bee hives and he'd put on the big white suit. We'd go out and rob the hives, and then he would squish the press the honey out of the comb or we would chew on it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it was so good.
Speaker 4: Did he use the smoke to calm him down? Yeah?
Speaker 2: The smoke had a little puff bucket thing of smoke. Yeah, so good. It's a huge difference in fresh honey and what you buite the grocery. Definitely, Yeah, Sandy, Do you care or don't care to find out?
Speaker 3: This was shocking to me.
Speaker 2: If all the gold in the world was melted down, how much it would be, what it would fit in?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I do. I bet it's big.
Speaker 2: All the gold in the world melted down would fit into less than three and a half.
Speaker 3: Olympic swimming pools. Really, that's it.
Speaker 2: Didn't you think there was way more than that I did? I did in the world. So you need a little piece of it. Let's go find some right now. Apparently gold is the word highs.
Speaker 4: I just looked at that this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some story somebody did a story on it.
Speaker 2: Woman took in like a broken necklace and got like one hundred and eighty four dollars for it or something.
Speaker 4: You'll see the.
Speaker 1: Little signs popping up, the homemade signs that say I buy gold. Yeah, and people will be showing up to sell their chains and yeah, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll go and look and see if I have some. I'm not going to sell anything sentimental, but.
Speaker 4: I'm more of a palladium guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gotta.
Speaker 2: Show you're snootye all right, Sandy, here it is. I know you said you did you care to know? With the six word phrases, it's a huge red flag for doctors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here it is. The phrase is my wife made me come in?
Speaker 4: Oh? Can I guess why?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 4: Because guys don't go to the doctor.
Speaker 2: Guys don't go to the doctor, and if by the point their wife has made them go in, then something's really wrong.
Speaker 3: Oh, probably something is really wrong.
Speaker 2: On the opposite side of that, the phrase that makes doctors worry when a woman comes in is when she says, I didn't want to waste your time with this, but you have this little That means it's been there a while.
Speaker 1: Another one that my buddy mine that's a doctor, told me that he hates to hear from patients is this.
Speaker 4: I looked it up on WebM.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 1: But that makes him so mad, like I went to medical school for this, right, Yeah, just googled something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. That is care don't care.
Speaker 1: If you're a crockwear stick around, there is a hack for you that has gone kind of viral on how to keep them clean. That's just a second way in our Daily Audio File. First dress, the thought of you. I saw this story about a guy a New Jersey that won the lotto. Uh did you hear about this guy? That he found a one hundred dollars bill that was just on the floor at a coming store and he turned it into the store. And then right after he turned it in, he bought lotto tickets. He bought three Power twenty X tickets. They're scratch offs one million dollars.
Speaker 3: Want to milt karma?
Speaker 4: Yep, that's what he said.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what he died and was rewarded.
Speaker 1: He called the entire scenario a test from God.
Speaker 3: I would never win lottery like that. Then I'd never have given that hundred dollars back.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's what's slowing you down.
Speaker 3: Maybe because I'm a terrible person. Maybe that's why I haven't won yet.
Speaker 1: Guy in Australia has gone viral because he washed his crocs in the dishwasher along with a bunch of plates and other dishes.
Speaker 5: Here he is, I heard you can wash your crops in the dishwasher, so I'm gonna try it.
Speaker 4: Take back when they're done. Actually spotless.
Speaker 3: Look at this, My only warriors and shrunk so I'm gonna let him cool and then I'll try them on Blucky. They were a little too roomy, so now they feel perfectly.
Speaker 4: But they shrunk. They shrunk a little bit in the dishwasher.
Speaker 3: You just washed them in the washing machine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't understand.
Speaker 3: It is what things you eat off of.
Speaker 1: I once cooked a salmon in the dishwasher.
Speaker 3: I've heard about that before. It actually works.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was actually pretty good. Huh, it was we actually pretty good.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: There's a skydiver and he was skydiving for some reason, dropped his iPhone.
Speaker 3: He was he was filming himself skydiving.
Speaker 4: I would secure my iPhone if I was.
Speaker 2: I would be like, I'm going to concentrate on other things and videoing while I'm skydiving.
Speaker 1: It fell from fourteen thousand feet and then he ended up finding it perfectly intact. His name is Casey Flay. Here he is tracking it down and finding his phone.
Speaker 4: I want to say, I'm on my way to find my phone in a forest.
Speaker 3: It is three miles away. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh the works, we ladies and gentlemen. It's a win.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was crazy, perfectly intact. How do I buy that phone for our teenage daughter. Yeah right, I just had her screensaver, her screen replaced because it was cracked.
Speaker 4: And do you ever.
Speaker 1: When you drop your phone, everyone's got that moment of fear when you pick it up, pick it up and look at it to see if it's great. It seems like they don't crack as much, not as easily.
Speaker 4: They've gotten better about that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Finally in our audio file, there's a town in Iowa had their tap water that turned bright pink.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, that's weird.
Speaker 1: Officiill say it was a problem with the filters. About two hundred people in town had to drink bottled water until it was correct. And here they are talking about the whole situation.
Speaker 5: I thought maybe the radishes were leaking into the water, and then I realized it was actually coming out of the snicket, and so I was surprised that the water was pink.
Speaker 3: We don't realize how much water we use. Pretty aggravating. We've had a water issue to begin with. Our city residents have had enough of that already. Just the whole water situation just they just wanted over.
Speaker 1: And I remember going to my grandmother's in Wichita Falls, Texas, and for like a few years of my childhood. The water stunk and then they got it fixed. It wasn't just a house, it was all It was the whole city.
Speaker 3: But y'all drink it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we drank it. What do we know? Right? I just thought it was water.
Speaker 3: Drink out of the hose, that's true.
Speaker 1: That's our daily audio file. And I own something that is ae hundred and eighty three years old, and I can prove that it's one hundred and eighty three years old.
Speaker 3: And have I ever seen this item?
Speaker 1: Uh? No, No, I don't believe you have.
Speaker 2: This is something else you keep locked in that safe that you won't give me the combination to.
Speaker 1: Yep, it is. But I'll show you here in just a second because I happen to have it handy. Okay, But first tell me what's the oldest thing you own?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: So I wrote down two things because I didn't know. The oldest thing that I owned that I've acquired in my lifetime that came around from me is Muffin, my love from when I was a baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's fifty. I've had him for fifty one years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's been your friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But maybe I think think probably the oldest thing that I owned that like has been given to me. My grandparents' wedding rings. They had matching wedding rings. Yeah, So I mean that's probably about the same age that they got mess, same age as Muffin. So I think I'm just stuck right at like fifty three fifty four. My grandparents' wedding rings are fifty five years old when they when they got married, right.
Speaker 4: Don't you have anything else from your grandfather? Your hat?
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, but I mean I have one of his. I have one of he always wore when he got dressed up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He always wore one of those bolo ties.
Speaker 2: Oh that pap was a bolo Oh yeah, and I had turquoise on it. Yeah, like you sent it up almost like a tie. Yeah, that was what he wore when he was dressing up.
Speaker 1: That was one of my favorite scenes in Yellowstone when some city slickers are dressed up like cowboys came out to talk to Rip and John Dutton, and one of them had his bolo down to about his second button and at the very ends are walking away, Rip goes, hey, you know that's not how you wear it.
Speaker 2: I'd wear it. My grandfather would have fixed it for him too. I mean I think, I really I think that. I mean nothing.
Speaker 3: One hundred and eighty three years old, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, what I have is a hunt I just discovered this. It is I hope my math is right. I think it is a eighteen forty two one cent piece. Really, eighteen forty two? Is my math right on them? To see seventeen hundred and eighty.
Speaker 2: Three minus eighteen forty two? Yeah, one hundred and eighty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is it again?
Speaker 4: It's a one cent eighteen forty two penny.
Speaker 1: Basically, it's worth one said, it's really worth five cents because it has a v on it with if you were to spend it. But they're worth about twenty bucks, I think, m no, no, no, um there just keeps scrolling because the top one's going to say it's worth five hundred dollars or something, but they're not.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: These are My grandfather was a bit of a novice at amateur your coin collector, and I have a bunch of his coins and I was going through them and looking at him and this is the oldest one that I have.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot of eighteen hundred silver dollars and a lot of I got a fifty cent piece right here.
Speaker 4: Are you curious?
Speaker 3: What do you mean? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I just want to show it to you. This one is I just had this in in my drawer. This one's eighteen thirty two. Hold everything. Ah, this one's older. This is nine years older.
Speaker 2: I'm worried that you just have him in your desk drawer. Why aren't there someplace safe? No desk drawer tends to well.
Speaker 1: I put him in here so much because I knew that we were going to be talking about about it, so I brought him in the studio and put it in the drawer so I knew where they were. But this one's now is my oldest thing that I am in. Eighteen thirty two fifty cent piece. Geez, how much is that worth?
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Let's look it up.
Speaker 4: It's probably not much.
Speaker 3: Might not own it for much longer. Eighteen thirty two.
Speaker 1: I bet it's worth about fifty twenty five dollars twenty twenty five bucks, is ah?
Speaker 3: I mean? Maybe? No?
Speaker 2: I mean the least expensive what I'm seeing is like one hundred and twenty five bucks.
Speaker 1: Really, But I'm not going to get rid of it. I don't need a hundred Yeah, I don't need a hundred bucks that bad. Yeah, I really really need it. There's something cool about old stuff, though, right.
Speaker 3: I always to think of how many people have held that coin?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, Like, I mean, how where that coin has been?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it's journey. Yeah it has been, so it's pretty cool. If you're nice, I'll let you hold it.
Speaker 3: I don't know a lot of people have touched it.
Speaker 4: Stick around.
Speaker 1: We got more coming up on Austin's eightest station one O three point one. Hey, it's sandy, and you know, May's a great time of year. It's the best part of spring, the last week or two before it gets really hot with triple digit heat. But some years may also bring some crazy storms and high winds with all the wild weather the extreme temps that Central Texas.
Speaker 4: Three way.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty thankful for my friends Scott and Stacy Feller at kingar Roof.
Speaker 4: Scott and Stacy they're great people.
Speaker 1: They've been part of the community for twenty five years, and Kangaroof takes care of all my roofing needs and they've done that for a long time. It's not just me Scott and Stacy's team have helped hundreds of Central Texas families protect their largest investment, safeguarding their place where you raise your kids. That's why I appreciate knowing that my roof is always in good hands. So give Scott and Stacy a call, they'll hop to it. You'll see for yourself why kingaroof is the best roofing company in town. You can find them online at call kangaroof dot com. That's call kangaroof dot com.