Speaker 1: All right, let's get it. Wednesday afternoon Drivetime, nine minutes past the hour of two o'clock.
Speaker 2: Another beautiful day. Man, It's been a.
Speaker 1: Stretch of great, nice warm weather here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. It's about forty eight degrees and sunny, and as it is every single day, it's gonna have you along for the ride. My name is Spence Checketts. I host this program. It is called The Drive with Spence check Its on ESPN seven hundred ninety two NFM, proud to be part of Utah's ESPN Radio network. That young man is named Porter Larson. He produces the show and we've got a lot to do on a jam packed local and national sports day. Not a ton of local stuff. Last night at the Utah Hockey Club, got a win and a win they need it. Chicago's not very good this year, two to one. So the march toward the wild card continues for the Utah Hockey Club. But tonight bevy of local action jazz taking on the Sacramento Kings at the Delta Center. University of Utah is at McHale take on Arizona. Tough task for Josh right out.
Speaker 2: Of the Gates as the interim head coach for the Uts.
Speaker 1: Brigham Young is taking on Arizona States, and the Utah women will take on West Virginia. So we got a lot to talk about on the program today. A lot to talk about on the program today. You'll hear the Utah men's basketball game on our radio station, our coverage. We'll get rolling with Ryle's and Sean Mooney at about six thirty to night and tip off on ESPN Plus, keep that in mind is at seven o'clock. So a lot of local basketball action to get to tonight. Some great NBA basketball last night that did not include the Utah Jazz. We saw Luka Doncitz take on his old team in Los Angeles, Lakers and the Maps. Luca had a triple double. Kyrie was awesome, but the Lakers were able to hold off the Mavericks. The Warriors moved to six and one with Jimmy Butler in the lineup, and the Grizzlies and the Suns combined for two hundred and ninety nine points. We saw a great game between the Bucks and the Rockets. So a lot of really fun NBA basketball last night, and moving over to kind of the stretch run. And I will say, as the guy that oftentimes complains about NBA basketball employing basketball players that don't seem to like to play basketball, some good hard NBA action over the past few days after the All Star break, you kind of see players playing a little bit harder with more intention. And I wish they did it all year, But what are you gonna do. We'll take it as we can get it. The NFL PA survey was released today. Whatdy Johnson is the worst owner in the NFL? Eons to New York Jets. I am a New York Jets fan. The annual Team report Card survey of nearly seventeen hundred players who graded their teams in various categories.
Speaker 2: So we do some NFL offseason.
Speaker 1: The latest on Matt Stafford is the High Speed Ahead to the Raiders. Reports are he's been hanging out with Tom Brady. Are the Giants going to look to stag Matt Stafford? And of course the NFL Combine is going on in preparation for the NFL Draft. We've got free uts there Forrede Reed junior to fote in Rand Keithy. So we'll do some NFL on the program today as well. Good guest list rsl is in action six thirty Mountain Tome Kick rsel Eradiano.
Speaker 2: We'll get you ready for that game as well.
Speaker 1: It is soccer season and as you know, we like to cover all of our local teams and local bases on the program. We'll start things off today with Christopher Camaraddi, our buddy from the Athletic.
Speaker 2: We'll do a bunch of anything.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, we'll do a bunch of everything and anything with Chris Comaraddi. We may have a special guest live in studio with Chris at three o'clock. Let's call the tease. Won't tell you it is because I don't want c koo either, but we'll bring in Chris in right off the bat. Richard Smith joins us at three thirty for an hour live in studio. Good day to have Smitty on. I want to talk to Smithy about a bunch of different topics, both with the Jazz and the NBA. Then get Smitty's thoughts as somebody who's been in our community for forty plus years on the current vacant head coaching position at the University of Utah. All due respect to josh I don't think he's a candidate to take it permanently.
Speaker 2: I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what direction Mark Harlin's going to go over bringing Smitty today and then the latest on the utes, basketball, football, women's hoops. Maybe Red Rocks two with Josh for Long on the program, an edition of that So Chris Camaraddie, Richard Smith, Josh Furlong potentially a very special guest live in studio during the three o'clock hour as well, Me Spence checkets all of you the great listeners, and that young man Porter Larson on a Wednesday afternoon. If you're Josh Eiler and not, but I know well if you were, that would be weird because he has a game to coach. How do you feel that the first game you're in charge of is potentially one of the two or three hardest places to play in the country. McHale is a nightmare.
Speaker 3: I will say that's a tough place to play. It's, you know, a storied venue. But I think it's also a good opportunity to have a team that is really energized and you know, ready to play for I don't know what that vibe is like, what that locker room back and forth. It's like between Josh Eilert and those players and what his culture that he's going to try to establish is going to be. But hey, if you're going to start anywhere, if it's not at home, why not a historic venue on the road, because you really don't have much to lose as the interim head coach going into a game against a ranked team in that venue.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, I like that. I like that attitude. Don't forget you can hear that game tonight. It's you tie Arizona. The pregame coverage we'll be get at six thirty and tip off is at seven. All right. Our first guest today will be Christopher Camaraddie Liven Studio on this beautiful Wednesday afternoon. Before we get the ck, courtesy of our good friends at Prize Picks, it is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check its on utah's number one Sports talk. Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Shout out to our good friend at Prize Picks. It's the best place to get a real money sports action. With over ten million members and billions of dollars in awarded winnings, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all. You just pick more or less on at least two players for a shot to win up to one thousand times your cash. So, for instance, the Jazz are taking on the Kings tonight, you can fire up the Prize Picks app. Download that use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to get fifty dollars when you play just five bucks. So if you put five dollars on the line tonight with the Jazz, you could do Walker Kessler more or less than two blocks, right Dolmos a bonus more or less than nine point five boards. It's very easy to do. You don't have to worry about the spread over under anything like that. So download the Prize Picks app today and use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to check out. You'll get fifty bucks. You don't even have to win. It doesn't matter if you win. To lose the five dollars bet, they'll just put fifty dollars in your account.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So the big news of the week has been of Utah electing to move on from Craig Smith. The craigsm Smith era is over the uttarn't action tonight. Josh Eiler interim head coach and his first task is to lead Utah men's basketball into McHale's Center to take on the Arizona Wildcats. This is one of the hardest places to play in the entire country. And give BYU a lot of credit an Tony Padilla, the official, a lot of credit for giving that game to BYU at the end with a horrific call. It wasn't a super well officiated game, period, but that call at the end was just a tough pill to swallow. And I think the Arizona fans made their feelings known with a ridiculously, you know, inappropriate chant after the game. But Arizona is going to be grumpy and it'll be interesting to see how Utah comes out when it comes to this matchup. Arizona is a fourteen point five point favor that's a massive spread. The over under is one fifty two point five. We've talked to a bunch of guests throughout the course of the week, Bill Riley, Sean Mooney, Josh Grant, et cetera. And yesterday bringing on Bill and Sean live in Tucson, my question was like, how do the players seem how do these young men seem to be doing? And unfortunately neither Bill or Sean had access to them yet because the players were in route form Orlando. But I'll be really interested to see how these young men look when it just comes to their body language.
Speaker 2: How are they going to react to a new coach?
Speaker 1: How are they going to react to one of the toughest places to play in all of college basketball? Against the team that Ken Pomeroy still believes and certainly after the chaos, as far as some of the colleges basketball upsets, I always stay lost. Again, Ken Palm still believes that Arizona is the second best team in this conference. Houston has lapped everybody. They're clearly the best team in the Big Twelve, probably one of the best three or four teams in all of college basketball. But according to Ken Palm, and it was Roxy Bernstein on the show yesterday, Arizona the second best team in the Big Twelve. And so the Utes with a tough tough task tonight, A really tough ask. Now this feels a little bit if I could draw the parallel, and it's not a perfect parallel, but you know, what sort of improvement, what sort of systematic change, what sort of concepts does Josh Eiler believe in? And will that manifest itself immediately? You know, Josh coach under Bob Huggins for a number of years. Bob Huggins seemed to be a little bit of a grumpy man, but a defensive minded coach that really believed in a lot of full core press, a lot of pressure, you you know, right up and down the floor, different sorts of looks when it comes to a press, different sorts of looks when it comes to wanting to make the other team uncomfortable defensively.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Josh is that type of coach.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we're going to see Utah implement some pressure, And honestly, this is probably the wrong team to do it against because they have one of the best point guards in America and Caleb Love, who's played a ton of college of basketball and he's having another great year.
Speaker 2: He's a pro. Caleb's about sixteen points.
Speaker 1: Four boards, four assists, his three point shooting percentage of down to thirty percent.
Speaker 2: But he is a problem.
Speaker 1: And when you have a league guard like that and an off guard like Aiden Bradley and even kJ Lewis, they kind of have this three guard, three headed monster with three really really capable ball handlers. I don't know that Utah will be able to provide pressure to bother this team. I don't think Utah has the personnel. I've talked about it all week long. You know, we can talk about the lack of results, in the lack of winning that happened under Craig, and certainly when you're the head coach, the issue is if you have a talent issue, you're also partly to blame for that. In this modern day and age of college basketball, you can't entirely blame the head coach, but the head coach in college basketball is also in charge of recruiting talent. It's different, and I do think we're actually moving into a different kind of era of college basketball and certainly college football, but we're kind of already there, and I don't know if the mechanisms to acquire talent in college will look exactly like the pros, I mean nil essentially as free agency, we just call it nil. But will we move into this era where you have to have like a salary capologist and somebody that understands the economics and you're actually offering contracts to players in college and it looks a lot like the pros. And I do think if we get there, by the way, it will be very good news because it will solve a lot of issues. I've been on this for years. Just lean into the pro model. If you want to understand the easiest way to eliminate players coming and going via nil, guess what it is? You sign a two year deal with a three year you know, with a third year option. Okay, so here Gabe Madson. Will use Gabe as an example. I guess let's use Ezra because Gabe is a senior. But here Ezrasar is a two year contract to play for the University of Utah, and then we have a third year option, or hey, you have a third year option as well, and if you want to leave after two years, then you can leave, but at least you know that you have Ezra for the next two years. And college basketball programs, like college football programs, are starting to hire general managers. They're starting to formulate their personnel to look very much like NBA and NFL front offices, and so as we kind of move into that era, you will have the ability to sign contracts and sign players just like NBA teams do via free agency. I seriously doubt we ever get into an area where you can execute trades. Right. Can you imagine if BYU and Utah just started trading players, so instead of Utah losing Kiba Keda, it's like, hey, just send us Richie Saunders. You can have Kbakeda and a second round pick or whatever. It sounds so weird to be talking about this, but ultimately, if college football and basketball move into the pro model entirely, maybe we do start seeing trades. I don't know, but I do feel that Craig as a coach is top shelf and high level. I just don't think he had talent night in and night out. So when it comes to what we'll see now, this feels a little bit the way we talked about Utah Football's offense when Mike Bajakian took over after coach lud was fired, Like, what is Josh Eiler going to figure out? That Craig didn't, and is he just going to keep running Craig's concepts because that's what these kids know, which may tonight kind of interesting and worth tuning in to see if there are any defensive philosophies or offensive concepts that change. You know, is Josh Eiler a coach that believes in different things than Craig believes? And I honestly have no idea, but that's what makes tonight kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: So Utah Basketball at Action.
Speaker 1: You can hear that game on the station starting at six thirty and then tip off will be at seven. No real new news as far as the coaching candidates, the two step in and replace Craig Smith have no idea which direction they're going. We talked quite a bit about some of the young coaching candidates that are coaching, you know, kind of smaller schools right now that ultimately feel like they could earn a shot of Bryce Drew and Eric Olson. But a lot of people are leaning in heavily to the idea of execut of executes, namely Alex Jensen as your head coach and Andre Miller's your assistant. That seems to be the rumor that's getting the most attention. That seems to be the scenario in situation A lot of alumni and boosters would lean into we'll talk about this with Smitty coming up in a little bit. And as I said yesterday with both Bill and Sean, I'm not usually a hey, let's win the press conference guy. I don't think it's really germane to results. I don't think it's something that's necessary. But I do feel like part of me feels like a little bit with this scenario, trying to win the press conference and win the day, and win the moment, to inject this college basketball community with a little bit of life, life that we haven't really seen consistently for a long time.
Speaker 2: If we're completely honest.
Speaker 1: If we're entirely honest, there have just been moments, right Ray Jacaletti Andrew Bogut Boga was a Majeri's recruit. Even Jim Boiling had a Luca Dertcha Luke Neville team that went to the NCAA Tournament as a five seed. They lost Arizona, but that was a good team. Coach Kriscoviak had a couple of good team Delon Yakub obviously and Craig had some wins here there Oregon, you know, Arizona by U, but the moments have not led to any consistent energy brought by the community. And so if you get a release and the University of Utah sends out an announcement like the new head coach of the Utes is Alex Jensen and his lead assistant is Andre Miller, I think instantaneously the basketball building up there receives a ton of phone calls from interested consumers wanting to put down deposits for season tickets next year.
Speaker 2: And I do think that's what this program needs.
Speaker 1: And I do believe both of those two would be part of culture building that eventually might bring Utah back to where we all want to see Utah basketball be. So we'll have to see Little yacht Rock. On a Wednesday, I told Porter to watch the yacht Rock documentary on HBO Max because my next guest told me to watch it. I've got to say, you have a pretty phenomenal taste all of your.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you know.
Speaker 5: That's how we're starting.
Speaker 1: Chris Camaraddi Liven Studio log on YouTube right now, We've got seven viewers. You can see ck in sunglasses and a shirt that I'm legitimately envious of, which is a T shirt with a picture of Aaron Falk on it in the Goat Adam Mikholitch and Aaron is trying to fix his ear piece before he goes on television direct.
Speaker 2: It's an excellent T shirt.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: How'd you get that done?
Speaker 5: There's a website called tea Public where you can upload high resolution photos and make them look weird and then they'll print a T shirt for you. Okay, so there was a time for a good four or five year stretch. We were making really stupid T shirts as like a side Joe hustle as a group of friends.
Speaker 2: Do you have any other falk teas or is that your only one?
Speaker 5: I have one. Falk made a once in a lifetime one that I lost that I of you, not of me, of the real Goat Gordon Monson, No way correct. I haven't seen it since. The reason why I lost it is because, long story short, my bachelor party was in Moab, and for some insane reason, there was a bachelorette party in Moab as well, and we met at one of two bars in Moab and the groups got together and they started dancing to country music. Okay, somebody liked my shirt and they asked for it, and I gave it to him.
Speaker 2: Very nice of you.
Speaker 5: It's now no longer a bar, it's gone. So now there's only one official bar in Moab. This was This was called the Rio, and it was a great time. So you'll have to ask Aaron about the shirt that I don't know if he even has it. It's an amazing one.
Speaker 1: Falk has impressive Moab knowledge.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 1: I went down to Moab with Falk, our guy named Bench and Trap when we played golf, and I don't think I had been to Moab since I was in college. I just have not been that down south very much. And Aaron knew where to eat, he knew where to go, he knew where to stay.
Speaker 5: A lot of his guys at school at Utah State were Moab amazing stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, without him, I would have been lost. But otherwise we had a great time, great place. We need to get you down there. Hey, let's go.
Speaker 5: I was thinking about I think the last time, one of the last times I went golfing was when we were at Wasatch Mountain State Park and I wore my Antonio Daniel's jersey.
Speaker 1: Yes, and your garden gloves.
Speaker 5: And my garden gloves. And the sheriff what do we call him? The ward, the marshall, the marshall sorry, you know, aggressive. The Marshall was none too pleased.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, that's right. Did he ask you to stop playing? Did he kick you off the course?
Speaker 5: No, he he asked me to I think he asked me to put shoes on.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right.
Speaker 1: You also didn't have shoes. Yeah, yeah, I remember, Yeah, I remember that entire scenario. You also teed off for a par three with your driver and it was a great shot and it actually worked out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I landed on the green.
Speaker 1: It was very impressive.
Speaker 2: So we need to get you down involve. It's a good time, man. We had a good time.
Speaker 1: And when you get bench and fall together, you never know how it's going to go down.
Speaker 2: All right, Christopher.
Speaker 1: Big news of the week this week, Craig Smith has been encouraged to find more constructive things to do with his time. He's no longer the head coach at the University of your top. So let's just get your reaction to that news and then we'll kind of dig in a couple of dynamics here.
Speaker 5: Like everyone else thinks somewhat odd timing, But if you are a smart person who can read the tea leaves, you are getting a jumpstart potentially on a coaching search now as opposed to three or four weeks from now. I understand the the argument of wanting to retain players for the next potential coaching staff, but I think one thing we can say is the next potential coaching staff needs to make wholesale upgrades on this roster if they're going to be competitive. And there are some pieces I think you can say on this team, but Craig Smith is a good coach. But looking at his track record, even going back to Utah State, he generally performed really well with guys he inherited. Namish Kita is the one that I can really think of that he brought in. Difference Maker went pro is in. I think he's in the Celtics rotation.
Speaker 2: Yeah minutes.
Speaker 5: But you know Sam Merrill, he inherited. Sam Merrill is so old our guy. Sam's twenty eight now, which makes me feel very old. Sam committed to Stu Morril. That's how That's how long ago he came back and played for Tim Durrea, who was Stu's an assistant. Yeah yeah, and then when Tim got fired, you know, Craig go hired, and so on and so forth. So long winded way of saying, if Utah is going to be good, I understand the fan base's desire to get a somewhat exciting new head coach. You got to get plenty of very exciting talent. That's the bottom line.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, you're not wrong. And I do believe this was more of a talent issue than a coaching issue. I mean, let's keep in mind, Utah basketball was picked to finish last in the Big Twelve this year, and when you look at you know, the expectation for who most people thought they would be, and the fact that they're mid table with a chance to still win ten conference games. I actually think Craig did a good job this year coaching the roster. The problem, Chris, as you know, this isn't the NBA. Will Hardy did not draft these players. Will hard you to not acquire these players. That's Danny, that's justin. That's the jazz front office in college if you don't have talent. It also comes back to the head coach. Now, in the new day and age of college of basketball, it's not as on the coach as it used to be because you have to have a healthy economic structure behind you to pay these players in a way you didn't used to. And I still have questions about where Utah's collective is. I honestly don't know. Mark Carlin releases a statement. You hear certain things about where they're at now, the excitement for where they could be moving forward, But from a basketball standpoint, it's pretty clear that economically Utah at this point has just elected not to lean into the basketball financing the way that Brigham Young has. How much of the consternation around Craig and Utah basketball do you think it's tied to what Kevin is doing down south?
Speaker 5: I think it plays a role in it. I think you'd be a fool if you didn't say that out loud. Either you're up in the night or you're just lying to yourself, and you could potentially be doing both. But the same way, Byu was gritting their teeth for ten years while Kyle you know, was kind of running the table over them with that, with that win streak, you can't be shown up in such dramatic fashion by your rival, Be so boring, be so irrelevant, and just not have the fan base get apathetic. The fan base has been apathetic for a long time. Let's be honest. I mean we've talked about I think the last time they had a really good team, that Sweet sixteen team with Kuzma, Yeah, Delon Wright yaka Perl. They haven't made an NCAA tournament almost ten years. It's so wild, that is insane. Haven't had a player drafted since Kyle Kuzma in twenty seventeen. And I know, and I know the draft thing. You know, like you need pros, you needah. Not only do you need pros, but you need guys who can go over and play at Barcelona or realmand just like Utah hasn't had it right. And I know who is the dude who wants sat John's that everyone was mad about.
Speaker 2: Davon Davon Smith.
Speaker 5: Is he a difference make round?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah he's good. Okay, he's really good.
Speaker 5: But does he make them a top six team in the Big twelve?
Speaker 1: Probably not, But he gets them a lot closer because he's exactly what they're missing this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, He's exactly what they're missing this year.
Speaker 5: My argument would be, you need at least one or two guys better than a guy like that in order to really turn this thing around. And I don't think Utah has come close to developing anybody like that in house for a very long time.
Speaker 1: It's very fair and it's a simple exercise, and you can do it with both the local stuff and nationally. I mean, whoever wins the national championship this year, whoever is in the final four, they will have more than two or three high level pros NBA guys, fringe rotation players, and then maybe a couple of players that can go over to Europe. And we have examples of that that we can look at with the University of Utah. The s teams Rick ever had had, Andre Pro, Alex Jensen, European pro Britton Johnson NBA, and europe Mike Doliak made money playing pro basketball. Hanald Metzla like they I mean, yes, probably the best example. So all of these teams that we all watched in the nineties that didn't just make the tournament but made runs, one of them came within a red bull of winning a national championship. They're up ten and at halftime with Kentucky and then I I'll never forget man. They come out of the locker room in the second half within five minutes and like their gas. Because Rick was essentially playing seven guys. He wanted his top shelf players playing. And it's not just Utah. I mean right now, Kevin Young down a BYU has two pros for sure, two NBA guys for sure in Yegor Demon and Cannon Catchings, and a guy in Richie Saunders who's playing his way onto the radars and scouts. He's really good. He is a European guy for sure. I think that's probably it. I know Dallen Hall talks about wanting to play pro basketball, but as John on Kalipara used to say, when somebody asked him, Ami prosy yat, he said, I have twelve go ask him. Right, they all think they can play, but no, to your point, like, if you want to win championships, if you want to compete for championships, if you want to make the tournament and advance, this is a player's game at the end of the day. Luke Walton took over the Warriors from Steve Kerr and won like thirty seven of thirty nine games. Luke Walton couldn't get a job. He just had that group of players. So the unfortunate reality is the coach is the one who falls on the sword. He's the one that loses his job because you can't fire the players. This to me is a talent issue, period, and not a coaching issue in my opinion.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's been an issue for a long time. I mean Larry, Larry inherited, I mean our guy Bill. Next time you have Bill on, you should ask Bill about his first year on the beat. He covered that first Larry team that will Arm. Yeah, that won like five games back in the PAC twelve era.
Speaker 1: Porter Yes, idea, Bill Arm. Let's get Bill on this week.
Speaker 6: A right.
Speaker 5: Larry built it into something that was tangible and it worked. Chris Hill was a huge Larry guy, made him a ten paid coach in the nation, which you can make an argument is is a reach. But Larry proved to be able to get to the NCAA tournament and did it a few times. It's interesting in retrospect that fans were frustrated with Larry when you know Mark Carlin decides to fire Larry I think they were on the hook for about seven million of dead contract money with him, and then I think it's about four with Craig. So in three and a half years, the athletic Department has had to pay essentially eleven million dollars of dead money to coaches that have been released from their contract for a school like you taught, that's a lot. It's a lot. We're not talking about a blue blood program that has cash rolling in. And to your point, I think one of the main reasons why this move was made was because the apathy within the donor booster supporter base reached a level that was untenable. And what is next is people going to try to live in the past, which I think is a very dangerous game, especially a thirty years ago type past. But if those are the people that are cutting in checks all these years later, you kind of have to listen to them. So how this thing shakes out will see, But safe to say you have to nail the higher man. But you have to nail the higher.
Speaker 1: And before we get to what's next, because that's ultimately where I want to go to. In just a moment, there's a little bit of pressure on Mark to kind of get this thing right. Yeah, you know, one of the things that we talked about, and you and I discussed this Tom Homo after he announced that he's stepping down after twenty years, and look for people that are upset. I know there are other sports outside of basketball and football, but these are the revenue generators, and these are what people watch more than anything and are interested in more than anything. Shout out to the other coach hires, you know that were made outside of it. But Tom essentially went five for five. You know when you look at Dave Rose and Bronco Menenhall and Mark Pope and Kladie Satake and now the early returns on Kevin Young seemed to be positive.
Speaker 2: And Mark's only hires Craig that didn't work.
Speaker 5: He's only outside higher, Yeah, he's only outside higher.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: He gave Gavin Peterson the job after Lynn Leu.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, right right, And so ultimately the plan was in place, I believe for Moregan to take over for Kyle before Mark took his job. So we have Mark Harlan, who, if we're honest, had a bit of a rough year, a little bit here there, some rough looks. The press conference after the BYU game took a lot of heat, was reprimanded from the conference, they had to pay a fine, and the one main major higher he made is now over. I don't know how much of it was his call. I don't know how much of it was boosters. I don't how much of it was Taylor Randalls one of the Taylor Randall's like an underrated figure and all this stuff, because that dude is sharp, He's very smart, and.
Speaker 5: He's he's a sports guy too.
Speaker 1: He's a sports guy, but he's a wicked, smart businessman, like he understands the bottom line. So were these boosters going to Taylor and then Taylor going to Mark and saying, look, we got to do something here. Is there something with player retention that they were worried about, which is why the timing was right now? Like do they want ezra us Our back? And are there players that feel like they're underutilized that they want to keep.
Speaker 2: I don't fully know how it.
Speaker 1: All went down at the end of the day, but it does sound like a lot of this was booster driven, and so the reasons could be varied. We could reduce it to the fact that he didn't win enough. We could reduce it to the fact that the attendance continues to dwindle. And it's a basketball community that I do think needs a little shot of juice, needs a little shot of life. And that's why let's move over to what's next. When you look at the direction that Mark could take. Here, there's a list of young coaches at smaller schools that have done a great jo and kind of the college basketball ecosystem has always worked like this. You take a small school from a smaller conference, you get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament because you won your conference. You win a couple of games, and your life changes. Craig did it right, and so Mark has already followed that model. You have names like Eric Olsen from UC San Diego. You have Nico Medved from Colorado State. You have Eric Henderson from South Dakota State. You have Leon Rice from Boise, Russell Turner from UC Irvine. This is a list put together by Jeff Borzello. So that's one avenue the young college coach that's done well at a small school and you're gonna make him rich to coach in the Big twelve. The other avenue, as you outlined just now is the Johnny Bryant, the Alex Jensen, de Andre Miller, the former utes to sit on the bench. Let's start here. Do you think in our state it is over sold to need a BYU guy, need a Utah guy, need a guy that understands the community. Do you think that's in Do you think it's Do you think it's overrated? Because every time one of these jobs comes up and Chris, this is what we do. As soon as Bronco left, it was Kilane right. Kevin's different, you know, but LDS b Yu it's kind of a different thing. Do you think you have to understand Utah to take this job? Urban didn't?
Speaker 5: Urban didn't. I don't think so. But if we're talking about the power brokers behind the scenes, they are the folks who presumably were involved during the Heyday and they lived it, and if they're going to have a say, they're going to trend in that direction. They do not want to see the bleachers covered up anymore in the upper deck. They shouldn't be covered up. They shouldn't be I mean, like it's been like that for so long it's insane. I personally think the Utah fan base as a whole doesn't show out the same way some of the other fan bases in this stay tue for basketball. They they just don't and they haven't for a long time. And maybe it is just being fed up with being so average or below average. But I can tell you the one time I was at the Huntsman Center where I felt like it was at the Marriott Center or up at up in Logan, I can't And I've covered a bunch of games there for fifteen years. Can't remember it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So.
Speaker 5: There is a lot that goes into this. Like I said, are you willing to go out and pay an Alex Jensen five to seven million dollars a year to leave the NBA lifestyle to take over at his alma mater knowing that the nil landscape at the alma mater might be on shaky ground. I mean, nobody's ever gonna come out and talk about what numbers they have because they're afraid of looking bad. But I think the frand for Scilla tweet caught fire a little bit, and I don't think was wrong in putting that out there either. There are many layers into what constitutes building a winning program in college basketball, in college football, in twenty twenty five now, and you mentioning the talent, looking at the talent, is there a indispensable player on this roster that absolutely has to come back next year? There's not. No, there's not no, there's not there's not. I mean, like, you can't be a power for conference team in a market that is growing, at a school that presumably is in a decent spot that should be in a better spot when it comes to nil, and not have a single indispensable player.
Speaker 1: It's a really, really fair point because if you look at the roster, so these are the players, there would be candidates to come back, and I think you'd like Ezra Sar back is at the end of the world. If you don't get him back, it's not. But he said he's had some real bride moments. He was the best player on the floor in that byu in So I think you would like Ezra back, but it's not the end of the world. Keanu Daz is a sophomore. He has shown Spurts got the same deal. Think you'd like him back, not a big deal if you don't have him. Hunter Rickson's gone. He's a senior. Of course, when you look down the roster, so is lost and lovery and Gabe Madsen as is Gabe's brother, Mason Shrob Jamps is a junior. Jake Wallen might be the answer. Jake's sophomore. He was a pretty good player. But no, to your point, none of these players leaving would kill your program.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that is pretty damning. I think it is. And the fact that we have to go back to twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, seventeen to really talk about the last time a Utah team had a potentially a potential NBA player on its roster is pretty wild.
Speaker 2: It's fair, No, it's very fair. What so let me get your thoughts on.
Speaker 5: So, let me ask you, let me interrupt you. Yeah, is going back in the time machine? Is that the right move for a guy who if we're talking theoretically, and Alex who's been a head coach in the G League only asn't coached college basketball. I don't think since he was an assistant for Rick at Saint Louis in twenty eleven, almost fifteen years. Yeah, you know, taking Andre Miller out of Grand Rapids or wherever he is G League, Yep, I just I can understand the draw, the desire for, you know, the legacy to come back, but I honestly just don't know what the right move is.
Speaker 1: Well, and you also touched on this earlier. Whoever Mark calls, the first thing they're going to ask is what's your nil deal? What's the collective? What's the economics, what's the foundation? The financial foundation around your basketball program? Looks like what what is it now? And what are you willing to promise me in writing that it will be if I take this job, Because it doesn't matter if you resurrect Rick Majaris. If you don't have your NIL in order, you cannot compete. Kyle talks about it every time he has a mic, like he leans into yes, like this is what we need from you as our community if you want our football team to be good. There are wild reports, mostly on the football side, that top Shell football recruits won't even answer the phone until they get like fifty k and then they'll talk to you.
Speaker 2: I have no idea if these are true.
Speaker 1: I think he was Sharif Shaw, who gave a nice coach show pep Talk last year and shared some anecdotes about players that he wanted to get on campus to visit Utah football for like Texas right, and He's like, I couldn't even get them to talk to me unless I was willing to like hit their venmo for fifty k or whatever.
Speaker 5: Shout Kevin Reynolds, Shout out Kevin.
Speaker 1: Yes he is killing and we'll get to that in a moment BYU's football andil situation and BYU fans who like to use the Internet to be brave and killing our guy Kevin. But it doesn't matter if it's Alex Jensen or if it's pat Riley or Fitz Brad Stevens. If your nil isn't in order, you're behind the eight ball. But to answer your question, I've changed my view on this, and here's why I do think this basketball community needs a lifeline. I think they need an injection of energy and you know, just something to jumpstart the basketball community interest that we haven't had here to your point, if we're honest, in a very long time, consistently outside of moments Jacko letty boge boilin Dertcha Neville.
Speaker 5: Dea, how dare you n tournament? Dare you?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The five seat. They lost Arizona first round, but they were a top five seed in the tournament. You outline some of Larry's teams. We've had moments, but nothing's been consistent since Rick was on the sideline. That's just the bottom line. And because of that, I just think a Alex Jensen head coach, Andre Miller lead assistant would win the press conference inject life, and I believe the basketball facility would be in an data with calls for season ticket deposits. That doesn't answer the question of what it looks like long term, and I can't speak to that. I know Alex better than I know Andre, and I think Alex is a very very smart basketball mind, and he is credited with a lot of development of very good players, namely Rudy Gobert. Five years ago, when Mark decided to move on from Larry and Alex's name came up, I said, I don't think so, because I just think he's going to be an NBA head coach at some point five years later. I'm not sure he's at an interview. Back in the day, he had one interview with Cleveland before they hired Bickerstaff, and he was Quinn's lead assistant and that was such a successful run here in Saal Lake under Quinn Snyder. If I'm an owner, I'm looking at his lead assistant. But at this point Alex himself might be resigned to the fact that the NBA has labeled me as a lifetime assistant, and if I ever want to be a head coach, it is probably going to be in college, and this would be an opportunity that I think at this point he would lean into in a way that I didn't think five years ago. So I think it makes more sense in my mind that I thought it did a number of years ago.
Speaker 5: So that we're going to bottom line it here before we go to break because I know you're ready. You're gonna have to hire the right coach who will bring in the nil money, who has to go get the right players. Yep. It's as simple as that. And whether that's Alex Jensen or the dude from UC Riverside or Irvine or Richard Patino at New Mexico, that's how it works, period, end of story.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 5: You have to hire a guy that people want to give money to to go out and sign and pay players. Now, that's it. That's how it works. So if it is a guy that has ties to the program and it works great. And if it's a guy that doesn't have ties to the program and it works great too. Yeah, and right now it is an absolute crapshoot.
Speaker 1: And to your original point, if the Echos and the Huntsman's and whoever else, the Garfs, the Garfs, the camaradis, you know, whoever else is.
Speaker 5: My other point was going to be, I just think b YU has a longer history of rich people who are willing to donate to the university. I think Utah in a sense is still young there in terms of significant athletic success. Overall, it is a school that hasn't reached that echelon as say a BYU that's been swimming in that pool for fifty years, as opposed to you can talk about Majeris and then Urban and Kyle, we're talking thirty years. Yeah, so there, and obviously with BYU, the reach globally with the church as much wider. And I'm not saying there aren't rich members of the church that went to the U. There are, but that is also a very big part of this as well. The really rich people who want to donate money, they are fewer and far between.
Speaker 1: It the you as opposed to, and I think the data indicates that. So if you're a Youte fan, and if you're listening, we need to start instantly creating MLMs in Salt Lake that can fool peak companies into believing that a gel will cure answer or a drink.
Speaker 5: Have you watched the Netflix on the on the dude who wants to live forever?
Speaker 1: No, but from Utah? Of course he is, he went to Of course he is. That doesn't My brother sent me his book. I'm I'm not reading this and I haven't watched it either, because you know what, you just put me in a bad rude. But the data, so what I was told by somebody you would know is that BYU right now has nine seven figure donors. Utah is too, and I think you can guess who the two are. But before we catch a break, to your point, if the Echos and the Huntsmen and the Garths and whoever else up here is donating money at a large level, if they call Taylor President Randall and they say we want Alex, you got to hire him. I think it's kind of that simple. Because the people with deep pocketbooks are running this thing in a way they never have ye last thing because I wanted to ask you, what, what's your opinion on kind of the pressure that Mark is under to get this thing right based off of the rough year he's had.
Speaker 5: Well. So when Mark was hired from UCF, he came in as a guy who was very, very good at fundraising and wanted to prioritize facilities. That's talking to folks down in Tampa. They said that was his bread and butter, and he's done that. He got the you know, the garfend Zone whatever that's called. He got that across the finish line after Chris Hill put in a lot of work on that. You know, they broke round on the gymnastics center, They're working on the baseball stadium wherever that's going to be up on Sunnyside. But at the end of the day, Man, I've said this on the show Ad nauseum, the product is all that matters. Fans want to pay to see their teams play an exciting style of sport, whatever it is, and you have to nail it otherwise. If you don't nail this higher, then people are going to start to get really, really frustrated.
Speaker 1: I think, if we're honest, there are a lot of people in this community that have put some pressure on Mark and if this doesn't go well, I'm not making any sort of grand statement about what's next, but I think this is bigger for him than most people realize.
Speaker 5: No, I wholeheartedly agree, all.
Speaker 1: Right, ck Liven Studio. We got a special guest I think joined us coming up next with Chris. He doesn't know who it is. I wanted it to be a surprise. It's brought to you by friends at Burt Brothers. With over thirty years of experience in nearly thirty locations, Burt Brothers, as certified technicians, bring expertise and professionalism to every interaction industry, leading warranties and low price tire guarantees. One stop shop for reliable repairs and maintenance, from tires and alignments to fluids and breaks, offering a full range of automotive services tailor to meet your needs. Now offering value tire options such as Americas and some attires, starting at just sixty nine dollars with warranties, they go up to seventy thousand miles. As one of the few Triple A certified shops in Utah, Burt Brothers upholds the highest standards in automotive service. You can stop by Burt Brothers or Tirebusters' locations or schedule an appointment online today to experience the trusted service that has made them a Utah favorite for over three decades. Burt Brothers doing it better since day one. More information online at Burt Brothers dot com or with CK and a special guest live coming up right here on ESPN seven hundred. I got a Tom Bowter tweet. Wow, this is a little serendipity according to uh what do we call him? C K Tommy, Tommy Scoops.
Speaker 2: Lance, Now hold on a second, Okay, I'm gonna bring you in.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna bring in cording to Tommy Scoops, uh courding of sources where all saw Lake looking both international and domestic for a center forward. Amos dabl And signed before the end of the window. Hopefully soon RSL's called around MLS about Duncan McGuire, Brian White, Willie Ajada and you know what, not even taking a shot.
Speaker 2: The last name Tanny is the first name.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: A little r SL news which is apropos because Chris Camraaddie live in studio and sitting across from me, very handsome haircut. Trey Fitzgerald on a Wednesday, Hello Trey, good to be here, Thanks for coming.
Speaker 8: To see you guys on Conker Calf home opener day.
Speaker 1: Well, let's star art with Tommy Scoops. We got we got a forward on the way or what I mean? Look? Uh, Kurt all but admitted it on the show last week. Yeah, you guys are looking.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, Kurt had a media breakfast that you did not RSVP for a few weeks ago.
Speaker 1: That's irrelevant, he shared.
Speaker 8: Basically, this information is that RSL seeking a forward, maybe a DP nine, maybe a winger, maybe both, hopefully getting it done before the April twenty third close of the current window, because if you wait till the summer, there's only going to be seven or eight MLS games left by the end of August.
Speaker 1: Who was at the media breakfast? Was it Falking Dens Or.
Speaker 8: Who dens has hung up the tape Recorder's basically hung up his Twitter game too, But.
Speaker 1: Out to Den's may the forest Beware of the Originals? Oh yeah, love soccer and Star Wars. David James there, DJ made Andy Larson was there, shout out to Andy, Okay, several did you send me an email about this?
Speaker 8: I send you every email. I'm not it's the old well, I'm not going to give out your email on here. It's all right, the old st check one which you may not check.
Speaker 1: You just gave it out and that's all right. Do I get a credential this year or what.
Speaker 8: Only if your hotmail accepted the application?
Speaker 2: Do you want to tell email stories on the radio today track?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 8: I don't have to.
Speaker 2: Do you know what Trey's email was in two thousand and four?
Speaker 5: I do not.
Speaker 1: Okay, quick story, anecdotally real quick. So two thousand and four, Tray is one of the first people we hire for RSL. We hadn't had our RSL email set up yet, and I wanted to start a fantasy football league for the new employee.
Speaker 2: So we get to know each other.
Speaker 1: So I go to Todd, Titus Brook Bingham, John Kimball, So I got to try and like, try, I need your email and he goes, I don't want to tell you what, dude, we're starting a fantasy football league. You got to tell me what it is. And he looks at me and he goes, it's ll cool. Tray. Oh yeah, oh yeah, at yes, I had that at AOL dot I do that at AOL dot com LLL.
Speaker 5: AOL was still holding on at the time.
Speaker 1: It's no for sure, and instantly I'm like, I want to hang out with that guy, like that sounds awesome.
Speaker 8: Spence just wanted to play fantasy football against soccer guys for his ego's sake.
Speaker 1: I can't even tell you how much money I've made off that dumb league. I've wanted like thirteen times. If you want to feel good about your football knowledge, play fantasy football with soccer people. Matt Lennio is like my farm league. It is awesome. How many how many folks are we expecting out at the Riot tonight?
Speaker 8: I think we could see twelve to fourteen thousand out at America First Field and Sandy tonight. It's obviously clear day, beautiful day. It'll be a little chilly this evening. Going to warm up even more this weekend for the two thirty kickoff Saturday against Seattle, which will be sold out very nicely.
Speaker 1: You just called it the riot, right, It's a riot, Okay, it's the right. I never called it vivid. It was Delta Center still is. You know, it always was, it is now, it will always be the riot at America First Field. Let's get the online community angry today and refer to it. Referred to it as America First.
Speaker 5: Field credit Union.
Speaker 2: I'm aware of it.
Speaker 1: It's the same like if you get mad that cocuzesota because it's also a drug. You're an idiot. You can't hold two thoughts in your mind at once. It is a credit union. In addition to a statement that makes people upset, I'm here, RSL striker potential, what do you think necessary?
Speaker 5: I think you saw last year what Pablo Masteroeni can do with a full deck of cards. And I'm not saying he doesn't have a full deck of cards, but I kind of am right now. I think the offseason went sideways for RSL at the most important position on the team, and that happens, and you brought in some pieces that hopefully pan out. But as we saw over the weekend, Man and Trey knows this, like the teams that were winning and scoring goals, they were having goals scored by guys that came into this league and were paid five to ten million dollars. That's where we are now. You can't moneyball it anymore. You simply can't. Yep, And I think RSL knows that the bones around the number nine position is there. But without that, without an alpha, I don't know what the ceiling is for this team beyond scraping for sevent eight. I don't know, Tray, Are we still top seven?
Speaker 8: Is top top nine? Now there's an eight to nine play in game in each conference?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, top nine for the playoffs? Yeah, dumb league.
Speaker 8: So there's fifteen teams in each conference.
Speaker 1: That's still too many teams in the playoffs. You just want more content for your Apple viewers, and then you can lie about the number of viewers. I understand is it Ilias man Manuel? Because I had I said Elias, and he corrected me. He said it was Ilias.
Speaker 8: I've heard it three different ways, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Anyway, he didn't person so helped me understand this, right. So what happened because it felt like there was a little bit of buzz around him potentially coming And when I looked at simply the release you sent, they'd had numbers that he had scored goals and it looked like he could be was somewhat of an answer so I think.
Speaker 8: Young young Anderson Julio was the thought there half the price five six years younger uh scored a hat trick in the playoffs two years ago. Was it was it was a pretty good player for New York. Pablo Kurt had a exciting in there in Kurt's terms, zoom call with this guy. And then after he was traded, and this happens, I think more often than not with foreign players. Is anywhere else in the world do you have a say and where you go when you leave a team. In MLS, you're traded, much like in every American sports league. And and this guy and his agent two days before training camp said hey, we're not going to show up until you triple my salary. And we said, it's not how we were.
Speaker 2: It was a salary demand.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And then he he and his agent they wrote a big letter saying that they don't recognize Major League Soccers the contractual bylaws that allow you to be traded because MLS owns all the player comes. So it's a very unique thing. But so he never reported, He got suspended and fined and all these things, and I think now he's on the verge. According to Tom Bogert on the verge of being sold to a very prominent team in Brazil. So I think RSL will end up being made whole for the for the gam that we sent New York for him and a bunch of draft picks back on December twentieth. It's a little disappointing, right, Like, you know, he sounded like he wanted to come take Julio's place and maybe compete to take Chicho's place eventually, but he was viewed internally as a Anderson Julio replace him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and if we're being honest, that's as a placeholder. He was a guy that could have helped stem the tide from January when they reported in camp through conquer Calf March April, hopefully get somebody who's going to come in and be in Alpha. But he was not the guy that was going to be the person who was going to replace Chicho Rondo. Is that that's just?
Speaker 2: Is that fair to say?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, and and sorry to interrupt you please again. To get back to where RSL was last year, I understand Deandrascoms sale had to happen, and you do that ten times out of ten, but you have to have somebody come in and take I don't know, bowl by the horns, scruff of the neck. I don't know which RSL attacker right now instill sphere in an opponent, I honestly don't. And there was a time last year where you had several and it's just part of it. But for RSEL to get back into contention in a league now that is spending a bleep ton of money on attacking players, they got to nail these moves.
Speaker 1: So the strikers on the roster now, Ilius is on the website.
Speaker 8: Well, he's still technically our proper.
Speaker 5: You haven't finalized the sales.
Speaker 8: Forrester for sure, A Jago r Peel Ari Peel?
Speaker 2: Are those the two best strikers on the rosters?
Speaker 8: The two nines right now? There is a first round draft pick named his sus Barea who will officially sign his MLS deal shortly once his student visa goes to being a P one visa.
Speaker 1: You know what his middle name is, I don't hopefully starts with Jay JJ Burreah. There you go, you like it.
Speaker 8: And then as you said, Kurt is scouring the league and scouring the globe looking for more competition up top. I think, to Chris's point, like you've seen a vander go from Portland to Cincinnati for thirteen million. Cincinnati also signed an international striker named Kevin Dankey for sixteen million.
Speaker 1: I believe.
Speaker 8: Lucha Acosta, who was the MVP two years ago, went from Cincinnati to Dallas for five million cash. So yes, the price of doing business is going up in this league. You remember we bought Chicho almost two years ago for six million. That's the biggest purchase in the history of RSL. As Pablo has taken a saying before Chicho was he was just a guy. Right now, rip Ol and Forster Rajago are just guys and they got to perform to become what everybody believes they will be. I think between Diego Luna, Diego Gonsalves, Dominic Marchuk, there is a belief that we can set these guys up for success, but clearly we've not seen that in the first one hundred and eighty minutes this season. I think Forrester has had a couple of good breakaway opportunities that.
Speaker 1: Didn't get finished.
Speaker 8: And I think tonight you'll see you a different team that just plays a little better and more cohesively than what we saw Saturday tonight.
Speaker 2: Jason.
Speaker 1: Two weeks ago, Jason crist and shout out to John Paul, you guys have lost JP. We're trying to win JP back to becoming an RSL fan, So this is partly for him. Jason brought up the conversation that my father had with him when Jason went to him and said, I'm trading Jeff Cunningham, and my dad said, who's going to score our goals? And Jason said it'll be by committee, and ultimately that's what happened, right, you trade, I'm gonna nail it Sturgis for Robbie Finley. Is that Nate Sturgis Robbie Finley client. Yes, Jason went brutus e two on his best friend tredon Mela, but you know, Robbie shows up and then you know, you never know when a hobby air type thing. I know rself fans hate when I go back to two thousand and nine, But Chris, is there a chance that the way that two thousand and you know, seven eight nine team was able to make up for Cunningham's goals by committee?
Speaker 2: Is there a chance this group can do that. No, there's not.
Speaker 5: I'm going to be with my guy here. I'm just where the league is now.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 5: I don't even can I go beyond night and day. It is so starkly different than like it is. Wild Trade just mentioned a team spent twenty nine million dollars on two players. That's wild and they were a team, an expansion team a few years ago that were like the worse than the history of the league. So it turns out if you spend a lot of money, you're gonna be really good. And now they're winning Conker Caf matches because they're really good. So the same thing we were talking about with the running Newts. Spend money, nail it and you'll be okay. Yeah, But if you don't spend money and you don't nail it, you will not be okay.
Speaker 1: So Trey, and if you need a pun on this, just pun on it, because I obviously am not going to ask you to speak poorly of your employer, and nor am I leading you with this question. But I'm just wondering if the rsl ethos of development right like I'm thinking of andres, you know, and look, that's good economics. I understand the business decision, even though as a sports fan that wasn't raised with this model, I don't love it. I never will. Like if you sell Diego, I'm gonna be bummed, But I understand that you kind of have to. But to Chris's point, with this money that's being spent, is there is it time to maybe take a look at the model and maybe adjust it a little bit as opposed to being a developmental club, like we're in this game, we need to go spend some money to get some big dogs.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Look, I think if Kurt, Pablo Jason, John Kimball went to David Blitzer and Ryan Smith tonight and said, look, we found our guy. He fits in our locker room. He's the right guy.
Speaker 2: It costs thirteen million dollars.
Speaker 8: I think if Pablo Kurt made the case that they could get it done. I do believe our ownership is committed. Look, I think besides what you see on the MLS salary cap, I think it's probably not well known that this team spends I don't know, seven million a year on academy and monarchs for that developmental piece. We haven't sold a kid to Europe for twenty million, like Dallas or Philadelphia or the Red Bulls have started to do. The Andres Gomez sale was important not only because it was six times our previous highest sale, but because we are now a participant in that global market. We I'm sure that at some point we will have opportunities to sell Diego Luna for big money, and sell Dominic MARCHUK for big money, and maybe now Kobe Henry for big money once you know, maybe we bought him from the team that is loaning him to us, now from friends. This is the one silver lining, maybe of the rumored calendar change, is that then the biggest transfer market window in the world doesn't happen in the middle of our season. It will happen at the end of our season. But there's a lot of obvious problems trying to play games in fourteen fifteen MLS markets in December, January, February. Yeah, so that's but that's the that's the trade off is that MLS could become an even more prominent economic player in the global marketplace.
Speaker 1: So c k if let's let's let let's give our guy the benefit of doubt, Okay, to operate off a hypothetical that over the next couple of weeks we hear of a big time nine that is signed, a DP type nine that is signed. Because if you look up and down the roster, there's great depth in the midfield right like holding made and that they he seems like they have four or five options there. I don't know enough about the keeper to have some sort of that he gave up four, but the team gave up four against San Jose.
Speaker 2: Some acquisitions of the back line.
Speaker 1: If they can solidify nine, what do you think they can be this year?
Speaker 5: Well, I'll start by saying it matters who it is. And you have to look at the track record of the type of guy they're bringing in. Garth Agerway and Chris Henderson brought in a guy from Middlesbrough for like twenty two million dollars who scores eight ton of goals and guess what he had too in his debut. You know when when Garth brought in Raul Ruy Diaz for Mexico and Seattle, he was scoring a ton of goals in Mexico and guess what he was scoring a ton of goals in Seattle. They won MLS Cup, they won Conca CAF. Find guys that do it, do it often, and do it at a high level, and you'll be okay. But you can't go out and give and give the fan base that is satiating for some star talent right now, Oh, this is going to be a guy who can potentially develop, and we already have two those guys on the rostra. You need to go out and say, oh, this is a dude who who has scored forty goals in Mexico in the last two or three years, or this is a guy who scored twenty five goals in Brazil the last two years, or a guy who scored fifty goals in the Netherlands over the last four years. Bring in guys who have track records who can do it, and as Trey mentioned, the earlier you do it, you don't have the lull that all of these guys hit when they come in the summer transfer window, because they're adjusting in real time in the middle of the dog days of summer. As we saw with Diego Gonzalvez last year, it takes a very long time, especially for attacking talent, to adapt to a league that will beat the crap out of its attacking player. Still, it is a very physical league, and that's that is part of the acclamation process.
Speaker 2: Do you think they need more than one nine?
Speaker 5: No, I wouldn't say they need more than one nine. I think depending on what they want to do with Diego Luna. If Diego does want to be sold to Mexico or Europe or South America, then we're having a much different conversation and that will be a very very difficult sell to the fan base because I think you can make an argument that Diego Luna is maybe the most beloved RSO player hmm. I mean, I'm thinking like he's up there with like like maybe Demir Crylocker and even before that kind of like the star.
Speaker 1: Talent is Rusty Pierce, Matt Bank.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think Chris is right though. I think you can put Diego in there with Demir, with Kyle, with Nick absolutely no doubt. And you know him playing with a broken nose, a shatter nose, creating six big chances in the game, winning assist in that US game a couple of months ago. It's part of the legend. It went viral, it's massive. This is his team right now, and it will be this year, I think, until maybe a bigger name comes in.
Speaker 1: I've ever had to tell you I had one of those nights where it's like sleep not an option tonight. Yeah, not too long ago, and I knew it's one of those things, you know. I'm like, all right, I've got to figure something out. And I pulled up the Apple TV like quick doc they did on Diego. I'm assuming you saw it. Yeah, it was really good. It was good. It's great. I mean, so he seems like such a sweet kid. But obviously it helps that he's awesome, right, Like it's one thing to have a player that you love, but it helps that he's really, really, really good.
Speaker 8: And look, he just turned twenty one, Yeah, in September. He came to us when he was nineteen. He had a baby when he was nineteen. He lives apart from you know, his kid and his wife. He's trying to like build this career. And he's been talking for about a year now, very openly about when he was alone moving to Salt Lake City and didn't know anybody, taking a job at a coffee shop. Just just a tone his social skills.
Speaker 1: That's really cool.
Speaker 8: And then he's talked a lot and I think the doc you're talking about hones in on this his dedication to his mental health and really trying to juggle the pressure and the expectation. He started talking about why he left his home, which was a very soccer centric home when he's fourteen in the Bay Area to start pursuing some of these academy opportunities, and he's just he truly is an inspiration when you hear him kind of open up and talk about his challenges. And then we saw it last year in Chicago because he had been benched and Pablo is very much a father figure and a mentor to this young guy. And then he scored that fourth goal in Chicago, ran right over the bench, had a nice embrace with Pablo and those two have become very very close over last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you move on from him, and you're not bringing in reinforcements. This fan base might riot at the Riot.
Speaker 5: Well, it matters that he's an attacking young player. To Rsel has done a great job of producing young academy talent. That our goalkeepers, defenders, holding midfielders, whatever. There's something about the position that with guys who scored goals that have tantalizing plays, they endear themselves to a fan base On a different level and that matters. And you know, if and when Diego Luna does move, I think every RSL fan who understands the game will understand him. But it will be heartbreaking. But at the same time, it is part of the sport that you didn't grow up with Spence and it will be cool for us in Salt Lake to see him at a different club potentially you know, hitting a different stride. Yeah, making maybe more inroads with the national team, because that is the reality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I understand the dynamic. I just am used to We have a good player. Let's hold on him as long as we can, unless Donovan doesn't want to live in Salt Lake and then he leaves right Like, I just want to hold on to the best players real quick. I just got an update, a text from lifelong RSL super fan JP John Paul Chonger. He says, I remain unconvinced, So before I set you loose, make a plead to our guy, get him back on RSL side.
Speaker 2: Twenty years of fandom, out.
Speaker 8: The wins that the first game out the window.
Speaker 1: He's our guys out win.
Speaker 8: Let's tell JP to text me at eight thirty tonight after the forster a jogo hat trick.
Speaker 1: All right, yeah, love it? Love it?
Speaker 8: And then and then Saturday after ri E Peel's coming out party.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love it. I like the confidence.
Speaker 7: I look.
Speaker 8: I see these guys every day. I'm biased as well. I definitely see glass half full. But I really do think these guys are talented and they are surrounded by creativity, and sure, can they fail, Yeah, but I don't think. I don't think they're going to.
Speaker 7: Look.
Speaker 1: I want us all the stand on our feet and shout it out right. I want us all the to believe. All right, last thing format tonight, you gotta win, right, Yeah, So.
Speaker 8: No away goals in the first leg, so that tiebreaker sort of tips in favor of already Ono. Any scoring tie tonight is bad for us.
Speaker 5: We gotta win.
Speaker 8: Uh. If it is tide zero zero after ninety minutes, you go thirty minutes of extra time. Way, goals in extra time have no value, do not count. Still tied after one hundred and twenty minutes, we go to penalty kicks. The good news is that RSL has won three straight elimination games on Utah soil. Tonight, hopefully Pablo can make it a fourth. Only five of eighteen elimination games under Pablo have happened at home, almost all of them.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 8: If you think about the PK shootout losses and all these other things in different competitions have been away.
Speaker 1: RSL dot com for tickets. Ck you think they get it done tonight?
Speaker 5: Who's in the starting eleven tree? Lots of changes?
Speaker 8: Eight changes from eight changes.
Speaker 5: From the first legger from San Jose.
Speaker 2: Well, that's good.
Speaker 1: To follow up a mecca with the armband again? Most likely good.
Speaker 8: A mecca is an absolute stud.
Speaker 1: Shout out in eight bench. That's right, all right, guys, great to see Okay.
Speaker 8: Thanks for coming to you, Thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: Trey Fitzgerald, Chris Comradi. Brought to you by Prize Picks. It's the best place to get a real money sports action. With over ten million members billions of dollars in awarded winnings make it a one stop shop for you. Download the Prize Picks app today, use the promo cod ESPN seven hundred and get fifty dollars when you just play five bucks live in studio. After very successful johnts down to spring training, where he was in eighty degree weather every day looking very tan and very rested. Forty years with the Utah Jazz Richard Smith on a Wednesday afternoon, Smittie, Happy Wednesday, sir?
Speaker 7: Are you same to you, Spence? It's good to be back in Salt Lake for a few days anyway.
Speaker 2: And you got something else coming up?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 7: I always making a priority to stop by the drive, you know, whenever I'm in town and make sure that I can I can bring your show down to the down to the depths where it usually isn't isn't used to being when I'm on the air.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not true, as we all know. But what are you?
Speaker 2: Are you out again? You have another trip planned?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 7: You know what doing? Spence? I last year I volunteered to work at the the Indian Wells Tennis tournament down and Palm Springs, and that's coming around starting on Monday, and so we'll go heading back down there. I'm gonna work down there as a volunteer. And uh, I love you know, you know me, Spence, I love being out among the people, you know. And I'm a guy of the of the people, and so anything I can do to to help out the cause. Uh. That that's where you'll find me. So, so last year we did it, and and the first few days I worked. The first day, who walks right by me? And I do one of those double takes with Steve Nash and I go, is that's Stevenash? And then like the minute, lady, he walked back, you know by. And then the next day, who walks by Derk Novitski, you know, just cruising, cruising, uh, cruising along the plaza there. So it's it's a it's a fun event. It's considered by tennis officionados as the fifth major and so everybody plays both the the A t P and the w t A play uh, and so it's a fun tournament to be be part of. And so so we're heading down there, uh this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good for you, good for you.
Speaker 1: Well, while you were away, Smidty, we had some news drop here locally where the University of Utah is now looking for a new head coach, Craig Smith relieved of his duties in his fourth year. It's a six year contract. He's due roughly five mill a little less than that. I think they're still paying Larry. So it's a lot of dead money to make coaches that you decided to move on from before we get into these kind of the nuts and bolts.
Speaker 2: But what was your reaction when you heard the news.
Speaker 7: Well, I was, first of all, I was very surprised that it happened during the season. I was at the at the Kansas game the week earlier where they played well and and and be beat a good Kansas team this week not not playing very well lately, but but we all know what they're about. And then they had the uh, the tough, the tough game against Central Florida the other day. Tough, tough way to lose a game at the end. But I'll tell you one thing, Craig Smith is a very good coach. He works extremely hard at it. His teams really get after especially defensively. I'm surprised they did this. I don't know if it was a move made because of the coaching or they expect more. I don't know what you would expect more out of this roster. I don't think it's it's a great roster. I think it's what it really is when you look at the standings, is that they're a middle of the road Big twelve team at the moment. I don't know if it was an indictment on recruiting and not getting better players. I don't know what the thinking was behind the scenes, but I think it was, for me, my own personal opinion, very premature and very short sighted. When you have a good coach like Craig Smith at the helm of your program, I think there are other ways to go about trying to strengthen and increase what you're trying to do with.
Speaker 1: That some good point there, and you know, let's kind of dig into some of the elements of this conversation before we get into what could come next and what that looks like. You know, my instant reaction was just kind of gutted for a good man, right, there's a personal side of these things that I don't think we cover very well on the media side, you know. And as you know, you know, my father was never a coach, but he was an executive and we uprooted several times because of his career. There's a family that has things, you know, kind of thrown into a little bit of chaos when a father loses a job and you've got to figure something out. The money, obviously, is a nice parachute in college sports. The reason why coaches negotiate buyouts like this is you're hired to be fired oftentimes. But like you, I was a little bit surprised. I kind of raised my eyebrows a little bit. So let's talk about the timing of it and why this could be. I've heard people say this gives the program some runway to retain some of the players, to get them back next year. I honestly don't know on this roster who you really want back next year.
Speaker 2: That's just my opinion.
Speaker 1: Because Gabe's a senior, so is lost and I think Jake Wallen's a nice player. I think Ezra Asar has shown some nice things. But I've heard that's one of the reasons I can't coroborate that. I really don't know why, because they had just be the two Kansas schools. This cannot be made just because they had a road loss a UCF, And if it's made because of that, that's like in a vacuum, which is unfair. So why do you think they decided to do this when there are still games left to be played?
Speaker 7: Well, I think one of the things is probably the notion that behind closed doors, if they thought and they being the athletic department, Mark Harlan and whoever advises him or works with him in those kinds of things. If they were talking about this and it was something they had decided in their minds, we're going to do this anyway, it's an eventuality that we've come to the conclusion of doing, then you might as well do it, you know, when you feel comfortable that that that's the decision we're going to make anyway, you cut it clean, you cut it early. And then it also gives it gives you a chance a leg up on maybe other coaches who are either out there or coaches who might be uh interested or and or available, uh to get a head up on on maybe getting in with them in terms of conversations about about the job. The flip side of it for me, Spence is when you do this in the college ranks, it really in some regards, it really smacks of a little bit of urgency by the program, uh, you know, a little bit of maybe excitability by the by the decision makers that they're they're nervous or they're anxious about what's going on, and they're not they don't quite like what's happening now, so they're just gonna they're just gonna cut the cord. Uh. With that, I don't I don't like that feeling. I don't like the fact that that, uh, that you're not letting that coaching staff and those players see through the end of the season to see what could happen. You know, they've had some good wins, but but hey, you know the the the other part of it also is there they're one and seven on the road, uh, you know in the Big twelve. H But but you know they look at the standing and say, well, do you the Big twelve or sixteen teams and their tenth and they're right in the middle. To me, we talked about that spence when the season began. That's what I expected them to be. I didn't expect them to be any world beaters in the in the Big twelve.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: They got a lot of heavy hitters in this league. And you know, if they want to make something, they want to make something happen now and get ahead of the curve. That's probably what I would assume they're they're thinking. I'm not sure it's a good look for the university when you do that, you know, during a season, because to me, then it would say if I'm a coach. If I'm a perspective coach and I'm looking at that as a possible landing spot for me, the first thing I would say would be, Okay, who are the people calling the shots? Is it the the booster club, is it the athletic director? Are there other people involved in that decision making process? And who are they that I'm going to be working with that would make this kind of a decision during a season with the current coaching staff. That's a thing that would would come back to me as a question I would want to have answered, you know, as a perspective candidate, because that tells me that that you know, maybe the you know, the people you're working for aren't with you in the row boat when it's sinking and aren't willing to stay with you when it's not going as well as they want it to, that they jump ship on you. And that that's a concern that I would have as well.
Speaker 1: For four years of data with Craig and you know, some good moments, some good wins, I just I'm sitting or shaking my head that we haven't had an NCAA tournament team here since twenty sixteen. I mean, it's it's nearly been a decade, and ultimately, I you know, I think a lot of this, from what I've been told, was booster driven. I don't know how much of this was just Mark making the call. Uh, you know. I could foresee a scenario where the Huntsman's of the world, the Echos of the world, the Garths of the world, called Taylor Randall and say we're not with this. It's not working, it's not moving the direction that we want. I know, you're out of town. Josh Grant came on the show two days ago and just went scorched earth on the entire thing, and he even said he was excited.
Speaker 2: Did they decided to do this?
Speaker 1: I can't coroborate any of this, but Josh's claim is several alumni tried to contact Craig toa for help and Craig wasn't open to that, which I'm conflicted about if I'm honest, because if I'm Craig, I say, I'm running a program, I have a team to coach. You know. His job is not to uh, you know, kind of coout out or whatever the alumni want him to do. But when the heavy hitters, the guys that are writing the checks aren't happy with the Directionsmitte. If you're Mark Carlin, you probably are kind of forced to do something.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, and and that's the thing. If you if you're the head guy, you know, Mark Harland's the athletic director, then who are you answering to? And and who who is your your constituency? You know, Look, if you know anything about basketball, if you're if you're a student of the game, if you profess to love the game and watch it, and you're sitting courtside and you're you're watching these players, and you're watching the teams that come through and who you're playing against, you cannot look at You could not look at the roster you know, for the for Utah this year and and say, oh, that's a highly competitive team that's gonna be you know, you know, battle for a top four spot in the conference standings.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 7: They they don't have that kind of personnel. So do you, as the athletic director and the people making those decisions? Is that what you're basing your your your response, your your knee jerk reaction to h are you doing it because you don't like the way the coach handles his team? You do it because you think they're not running the right offense, their their defense isn't stout enough in tough circum you know, you know, whatever it is that that you that you think you're hanging your hat on. But but this team, you know, this program the way it is at the current time, and and and I can see some of this. You know, I'm a Craig Smith fan because I know him somewhat not great, but I know that he's a very good coach, and I know that he works extremely hard, you know, at it, and he's got a sincere will uh with his team and gets his team to buy into his approach and what he's trying to do. His issue this year has been that he just doesn't have the horses to stay in the race. That that's just that's a fact if you study basketball, if you know anything about it. They also had what, to me Spence was a very soft pre conference schedule, and so that makes their record look maybe a little bit better than what the team really is. And I understand that also in terms of college scheduling, every college team tries to get you know, what they call built in wins in November and December to get your team, you know, positively affected and get them confidence for going into their conference seasons each year. But if they made this decision based on boosters and based on you know, people who are paying you know, the money into Nils or whatever it is, and they're letting those guys you know, have a loud voice in the room, then then that's really a major problem for the whole program in my opinion, because now you're you're you're expecting a coach to do miracles with a limited roster and and limited resources that they have available to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you on the talent, uh level of this team. I just every and I watch every game. I watch every minute of every Utah basketball game, and I've been to a grip of them this year, and I just felt like Craig did not have the same amount of talent as his peers did. And Big twelve plays specifically, you know teams kind of rolling into the Huntsman Center with better players, or you know, Craig going out on the road and going into gyms. That Houston game, it wasn't even fair, Like, it wasn't even a fair fight. At one point, I think they had eight turnovers in three baskets because Houston defensively overwhelmed you. They could not even get a shot off. So I do believe that there is a ten a issue with the current roster. Do respect to the young man who are working, young men who were working hard to get better. But the problem committee is in college that's on the coach too, you know. So like of course, ultimately I am with you when it comes to, you know, being gutted and seeing a good man losing his job. But there is part of me that doesn't mind this statement that this is not good enough. We are a basketball community that once upon a time had a team at the University of Utah not just make the NCAA tournament, but make deep runs and almost win national championships. And I don't think it's a bad thing to want a different standard while at the same time feeling bad for a good man who's lost his job. I think two things can be true there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well I think again, I think there's a other forces that get involved in that. I don't know. Again, I don't know pretend to know what the University of Utah scenario is in that regard. I'm just surprised that it happens you know, during the course of the season, when you've been watching this team and you just came off you know where you saw that a team that's not as talented can go out and uncertain nights, you know, give Arizona a run for the money. You know, play Kansas very well. You know, play b YU very well, which is a very you know. So you know, yeah, it's been an uneven season for them. I understand that. I have to. I have to guess that they wanted to get ahead of the curve on a decision that had already been made at some other point, and they were just trying to figure out the best way to do it and to maybe uh, you know, get up ahead of the pack on a new hiring.
Speaker 1: All right, before we catch a break, we'll do pro basketball coming up on the other side, Let's talk smitty about what could come next. So, you know, one of my favorite things about March Madness and the NCAA Tournament is watching coaches that get an automatic qualifier spot after winning the Horizon or something, win a couple of games, and their life changes because they parlay that run into a bigger job at a bigger school where you get paid in a way that you never have to work again. I mean, your life literally changes if you're one of these coaches that rises up through the ranks. So there's that direction, and Jeff Bordella from ESPN to put together list of these young coaches that are in line to get a bigger job. U see San Diego, Eric Olsen, Colorado State, Nico medved South Dakota State, Eric Henderson, Boise State, Leon Rice u c Irvine, Russell Turner. Those are the four coaches he lists as candidates for Utah that fit the mold of younger coaches at smaller schools that are kind of rising through the ranks. Now on the other side, the community seems to have latched on to this idea of Alex Jensen as your head coach and Andre Miller's your assistant. Five years ago, when Mark fired Larry Ciscoviak, I was asked about Alex as a possibility, and I thoughts many at the time you were working with him. He was Quinn's lead assistant. With the work he did with Rudy and how many games you guys want, I thought Alex would get a look and get an NBA job. Five years later, he still hasn't had an NBA job. Maybe he views this as I am labeled as a lifetime assistant in the pros, and maybe he looks at the Utah job. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know. I can't speak for Alex. I don't know what his you know, what his druthers would be. I think, you know, the whole idea of the concept of trying to bring trying to bring back your uh your former heroes, you know, to resurrect and save the day and and and get you right on top at the mountaintop. I think that's I think that's a little preposterous to expect that, you know, type of reaction. Uh, you know, I think people are just grasping it. Stars Now, these guys might have interest, they may come and do it. I don't know any of that. I think what you're trying to do as a program is you're trying to find the best coach that you think can get you good players where you can compete. And again, I'm going back to what I think in my own opinion as to what they were probably looking at in this regard with Craig Smith, is that is that they probably looked and said Hey, we just don't have We got to have someone who can recruit and get in better players to be able to compete, you know, the way that we think we should be. Because his basketball knowledge is acumen, his approach, all those things have proven to be successful. Do they think someone else they have on their radar can bring in those players? Do you bring in those It's not like the old days, Spence, where you're recruited and you just tried to recruit on reputation and co ing and and the things that you can give to a player to help them along their path. Uh, and then you know you didn't have to worry about na l stuff. Now it seems to be all related to how much money you have available. And and you know, the whole college thing to me is so out of whack and it's so so way out out there in space because this is really not college athletics. This is now just another version of a pro approach because you're in fact it's it's really even you can even look at it and and as you study it say that it's even more so another step beyond like uh, the NBA, for example, which has salary caps in certain restricts in in in college you can just offer guys whatever you can you have to offer them, and then there's no there's no contracts. So the player can come, he can come for a freshman year. It doesn't work, it doesn't you know, whatever it is, he's playing better than what you thought he was or the ni L that you have available for him. So he goes to another school the next year. You know, he doesn't have to sit out a year. He doesn't have to you know, get out of conference. You can just do whatever he wants. And so you know this this notion of the wild wild West in college basketball is really true. And if you if you want to be one of those one of those guys that is competing, if that's your thing, then you have to do like the approach the b YU is taken, which is jumping all in and saying we're gonna set it up like an NBA program, or we're gonna we're gonna get a lot of money in the n I L and we're gonna start recruiting guys. And you know, there's no way a b YU program gets in with a conversation even with an aj debanza. Uh, you know, five years ago, of course, there's no way. So so if your if that's what your goal is, if that's what your aim is toward, then you jump all in. And maybe that's what this is about, is about out to you saying, Okay, we gotta we gotta get we gotta get some headway here. So we got to get a new start, and we got to figure out how to redirect the program from from where it is at the current time.
Speaker 1: Josh Eiler your interim head coach. His first task is McHale's center against Arizona tonight.
Speaker 7: That's an easy one.
Speaker 1: Six thirty pre game seven o'clock coverage here on ESPN seven hundred. Coming up next, we will talk some pro basketball. The Jazz are in action tonight. Luka Doncics put up a triple double against his old team. Smindy Liven Studios brought to you by Burt Brothers with over thirty years of experience and nearly thirty locations. Burt Brothers ASE certified technicians bring expertise and professionalism to every interaction industry, leading warranties and low priced tire guarantees. One stop shop for reliable repairs and maintenance from tires and alignments to fluids and breaks, offering a full range of automotive services. Taylor to meet your needs now offering value tire options such as Americas and some attires starting at just sixty nine dollars with warranties that go up to seventy thousand miles. As one of the few Triple A certified shops and Utah Burt Brothers up upholds the highest standards in automotive service. Stopped by Burt Brothers or Tire Bush's locations or schedule an appointment today to experience the trusted service that has made them a Utah favorite for over three decades.
Speaker 2: Burt Brothers doing it better since day one.
Speaker 1: More information can be found online at Burt Brothers dot com Orris Smithy coming up next right here on ESPN seven hundred. All right, we got one more big segment with Richard Smith live in studio. We're gonna bring in Josh Furlong, who covers the University of Utah for our friends at KSL Smitty.
Speaker 2: Let's bring an off.
Speaker 1: Air conversation on air because when Alex Jensen was Quinn's lead assistant, you were with the Jazz, so you got to know Alex. Alex was G League Coach of the Year, and you were outlining why it is such a tough league to coach you and what kind of strictly basketball wise, what kind of coach is Alex Jensen.
Speaker 7: Well, the first thing is he's very organized, he's very you know, he learned a ton and worked for a lot of years, you know, with a very good coach, with a very tough coach and in Rick mcgeris, And so he took a lot of the good things, you know, the the Rick would bring to the court every day in terms of how they approached uh, their their workouts, how they approached their player development, how they approached their attention to detail. You know, those those are the things that that he really has has taken as part of his his playbook, so to speak, you know, in the in the coaching ranks. But but all you have to do is look at any coach and and the and the coach right now with Oka see is a good example of Mark Dano, who coached the G League team for ok C. They hired him as a young coach. I think he was the youngest coach in the NBA at the time they hired that's right. But they hired him because they felt confident that he knew what he was doing as a coach, how he was approaching the job with with with his team. And obviously they've gotten players and they've been able to build their team up to what it is now. And and but just think of it this way, Spence, and we used to talk to the guys about this all the time who are on our various G League teams over the years. The the the tough part about coaching in the G League for a coach is is that nobody who's there wants to be there.
Speaker 1: That's a good way to put it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, everybody who everybody, the players, the coaches, the trainer, the pr guy, you know, whoever it is, they all want to be somewhere else, meaning they want to be in a higher profile job. They want to be in the n b A or they you know whatever. However you would you would uh uh determine that. But at the same time, they're also everybody who has chosen to be there. In other words, you know, we would speak to the guys all time. Hey, Spence, check its your you're player, your you're our backup point guard. Well I'm giving you some leeway just being a backup on the team period.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, but you look at a guy and you say, you have chosen to be here, even though we all know you want to be somewhere else. And so just think of it from a coaching perspective. You've got twelve guys, thirteen guys however many they have on their rosters now in the G League, and you're trying to coalesce those guys and get them all moving in the right direction and trying to trying to get something done in a positive way in terms of learning, in terms of playing, in terms of executing, and ultimately trying to win games. At the same time, as a coach, you know, all these guys not only want to be in another situation, but they're all trying to look out for their best interest good.
Speaker 2: Right, really good.
Speaker 7: So they're all moving, you know, in different directions, with different motivations, et cetera. So as a coach in that league, it's very tough. That's why you get, I think spence if you if you're paying attention to G League games, you get these wild swings during games where one team goes on a twenty one to two run and then the other team calls a time out whatever, and they come out, and then the next four minutes the other team goes on in eighteen and zero run or whatever it is. And it's because you're as a coach, you're trying to keep all your guys moving in the same direction and trying to get the same result, and it's a very difficult job to do. So if you have done that and you've shown you have success there, then to me, that's always been a big factor in looking at someone as a potential candidate for some other coaching job that they might be interested in.
Speaker 1: What about Alex as a person, his personality, He's always struck me as very level headed, very measured, very even keel. You reference working for Rick, he also worked for a good yet tough coach in Quinn Right, And I would imagine, and I'm sure you have insight into this, being an assistant coach for Quinn Snyder probably at times was great and probably at times you went home not feeling awesome about yourself. Right, He's a tough guy to probably work for and work with, even though I respect him, he's a good coach. So Alex as a person as opposed to a basketball coach tell us about.
Speaker 7: That, Well, he's just a he's a quiet guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's.
Speaker 7: You know, a very friend guy. But he's not an exuberant, uh, you know person, So he doesn't he doesn't get out of his element. Uh very often when I've seen him in practices where where things aren't going right and someone's not doing what they've been asked to do or been instructed to do and doing it a certain way. He can be very stern and very direct. Uh, but but he does it in a in a manner that is respectful to the people around him. And in other words, it's not a yelling match, it's not a shouting match. It's not a you know, waving your hands all over the place kind of making a spectacle type of thing. You know. He does it in a very succinct, very matter of fact, step by step process to try and get to where you're you're you're trying to go. And Uh. In that regards, he's a very calming influence, you know, for them. I think with the Jazz staff for the several years that he was working with Quinn, he was a good balance to Quinn's fiery nature. Uh, both on the court and and and you know, off the court, in practice and and meetings and that kind of thing. I think he brings a certain a certain resolve and a certain uh steadiness uh that that is uh, that is needed. And in a lot of situations, especially in the pro game, when you have so many games coming at you and and you have so much stuff, you know that that's changing almost every day, you need someone who's organized, someone who thinks through things, someone who has an approach uh that that is a step by step approach that makes sense to get you to where you want to go. And he's, uh, he's that kind of guy.
Speaker 1: One more thing here, because I didn't get asked you about another candidates. I'm using air quotes as candidates because I don't know. But it's another guy that you know, and that's Johnny Bryant, who currently is the associate head coach for the Cleveland Cavaliers. And they are awesome, and Johnny was with in New York right and I think a lot of people believe Johnny an up and coming young coach. Maybe at some point we'll get a head coaching opportunity. I don't know that this is something he would be interested in, based off of just where he's at in his career. But that's a name people have thrown around, you know, Johnny as well, what do you what do you think?
Speaker 7: Well, again, I think spends a lot for me in my opinion. A lot of that is because Johnny's got the ties to the University of Utah, you know, from from many many years ago. You know, he's proven himself as a very good player development guy, as a very very good again, Johnny is a very organized coach. He's also somewhat like Alex and that he's more of a quiet voice in the room. He's he's not a an exuberant guy.
Speaker 5: He's not a yeller.
Speaker 7: He's not a you know, a high energy type of personality in the room. He's more he's he's more laid back, he's more succinct. He gets his point across very directly. He comes from a background where he was in for a lot of years in the player development world. Where he was he had to be organized, you had to have a certain plan of attack, you had to do things in a structured manner, uh, in order to try and see results.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: And that's what he's that's what he's done at the pro level. Paul millsap A knew him, and coming out of the last NBA lockout year, Paul talked the Jazz into bringing him in as a player development guy, working with players individually and skilled development. And and Johnny worked his way on onto the NBA bench and as an assistant coach, uh and that kind of thing. But he's he's always been a very structured, organized guy with a quiet leadership and and and you know that would be somebody that that would be interesting for because he also had ties. You know, he's from the Oakland area originally, so he has ties outside of Utah. You know that would potentially in that kind of scenario possibly help in terms of recruiting and and uh, you know, having contacts with people you know in other parts of the country.
Speaker 1: Give us some perspective on how hard it is to play at McHale Center, where Utah is playing tonight.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, the mcale Center is an older facility where the fans are right on top of you. It was built at the same time as the facility at Arizona. States that they're identical to each other. The fans in Tucson, they are They're very rambunctious, It's funny because the students show up, the students get rowdy. But then there's a section of the of the of the spectators who are older, retired folks who live in Tucson who go to the games because they have a lot of money and they don't have anything else going on in Tucson. And so the Arizona the University of Arizona men's basketball team for years has been like their pro team. And so all of those people come and they invest a lot, not only you know, financially, but also you know, with their activity at the games. And so it's an interesting crowd, but it's a tough, tough place to play, you know, partly because of the crowd, but more more, more importantly because Arizona always has very good teams and very good talent on the floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 1: Our pregame coverage for Utah hoops tonight begins at six thirty and then tip off for Josh Eilert's first game as the coach is at seven against Arizona and the McHale Center. I'm sure Josh is like, couldn't you wait, couldn't you wait?
Speaker 7: Well, and and think of it too. Spencer the Arizona's coming off that that brutal loss to BYU a few days ago. I was watching that game, and you know, the b YU, to their credit, got the benefit of two calls at the end of the game on the road in the McHale Center, which which you you you wouldn't put that in a movie script because you'd say, well, that wouldn't that would never happen. But it happened, UH to b wau's benefit. But they took advantage of it, and UH and made a payoff with those two Richie Saunders free throws at the end and UH and held on for for a big win for them, and and UH a great win for their program in terms of where they're trying to go.
Speaker 2: You think Richie is a pro, You think Richie can make money play I do.
Speaker 7: I like I like him, you know, I like him Spence because he's got good size as a guard six five sixty six. He plays with intensity, He's he is not afraid. He comes off those screens and is ready to catch and shoot. He's gotten better this year, you know, under Kevin Young and his staff. And again we're talking about skill development. But but what Richie brings for me is he brings an intensity on both ends of the floor. He really plays hard, and he really plays with a certain level of fearlessness, which I like. I really think he's he's been been a terrific player for them. I think he's been their MVP this year. Totally agree, you know, and I really like him as a pro prospect.
Speaker 1: Because we were debating this earlier, back to the whole talent thing, and this is not a hard exercise to do. I mean, if you're at home or at work, he can just google past National champions or Final four teams. Almost all of them, Smitty have at least two or three NBA guys in one or two like European pro types. The Duke team that won the National championship with John Shire and the zu Bec kid maybe your only exception, right, I know, John got a little bit of a look to be a pro, and I think zu Beec got a couple of contracts. But even our teams here, you know, Rick had teams with and horn Metal, uh uh, you know, Hanno of course, and then Doleiak Britten obviously Andre multiple NBA guys, multiple pros, not just NBA guys, but European pros as well. How many pros do you think Kevin has on that by U roster right now?
Speaker 7: Well, well, totally. There'll be a few guys who will play overseas.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: I think he's probably got four or five guys that will play uh professionally somewhere. I like the Demon kid, he's uh. It'll be interesting to see if he's if he stays another year, you know, I think he could use that personally. I think he's uh. Sometimes he doesn't play full speed to me. Sometimes he really shows his skill level and shows the things that he's capable of doing. For me, he doesn't seem to do it enough. He doesn't seem to Sometimes he seems to me to be playing in second gear.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: But I like him. I like his skill level, and I like his his feel for the game, you know, and his size obviously is is is an NBA type uh type size for that for that position. You know. The other kid, the Catchings kid, it just has had such an uneven uh season, you know, I I would assume he'd be coming back. You know, there was a lot of talk at the beginning of the year that he was a one and done kid. I haven't seen that. Personally, I think he's played. Uh he's paid too erratically during the course of the year. Uh to uh to warrant coming out in the draft. Uh you know, but again who knows. In this day and age, you never know, Spence. It's one of the things that is set up and for these kids, uh that that helps them is that they can always go into the draft and do workouts for NBA teams and then there's a certain date where they have to make a decision I'm staying in the draft or I'm pulling out. And the smart kids every I've always said this for years. Every college kid should enter the draft, no matter what year of school they're in, because then that gives them a window in the spring to go and do do pro workouts. You go to the Jazz, you go to the Denver Nuggets, you go to the Phoenix Suns. You get a workout. You a see where you measure up against the other guys who they happen to have in a workout that day. But more importantly, you get direct feedback from the NBA personnel people who say, Spence, check its you have no left hand. You cannot go left. Everybody knows it. It's in a bold lettering and the top of it. So you need to go back to school and work on that. That's what's going to help you in a potential program. So they get this kind of feedback and then you can always you can take that and go wow, I got a lot of good feedback from these workouts and from the pro personnel guys. Tell me what I need to work on. Now I'm pulling out of the draft and I'm going back to school. I don't know why every college player doesn't do that. You know, it really makes a lot of sense for them, and it's there for them to help them make rational decisions about what they want to do with their you know, their careers going forward. So BYU has some guys will who will be in that position I think in the spring, and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out for them.
Speaker 1: All Right, let's do a little jazz here, you know jazz. You know, finally, well, I mean, ultimately, we all know the deal and we're all just kind of riding this thing out and hoping for a little lottery luck and maybe a little Cooper flag action. So it's tough to make it all that interesting. But the latest Jazz young player who has played pretty well is Kyle Philipowski, who over the past six games he's fifteen points, he's seven boards, he's sixty two percent from the floor, and he had his first two twenty point double doubles during you know, the past six games. So he's looked pretty good as of late. He's the latest young player we talked about Kyante and Isaiah kind of the the rotational decision will Is made to start Isaiah and bring Kiante off the bench last time. But what are you seeing as of late now that Kyle's getting some minutes.
Speaker 7: Well, and he's going to continue to get minutes. And again this is this is all in the area of player development and trying to find out which guys you think have a chance to continue progressing, continue moving up the ladder, might be able to do something for you down the road somewhere, you know, in a more meaningful setting. And and Kyle Philipowski his his turn is up. And so I heard tonight that you know, again market In isn't going to play again tonight, so you know, Philipowski will probably get some good run again. And and that's the way they're playing it. And it's you know, you can say they're not trying to win games. You can say that they're trying to uh develop guys, you know, give them opportunities, and that's where they that's where they get them, that's what they've chosen to do. Instead of a Kyle Philipowski, who in a so called normal NBA setting would be doing this in the G league situation, he's now doing it in the NBA situation. So there's arguments both ways, because you say, well, you know, he really should be at the G League and they should be working on specific things with him in terms of his improvement and development. But then you say, hey, he's now he's playing in the NBA and he's being able to to play with against NBA guys, and so he's getting that kind of experience that you can't get anywhere else. And so that's where you find how how the guys can can get better? How can they improve? I think the Collier kid has improved this year. Yeah, you know, he's he looks like you know, I mean, there's a lot of holes in his game, not the least of which is his decision making at times on the fly and the and the passes to go into the fourth row in the stands, and or where he tries to make a pocket pass with his three defenders in the lane, and it's it's just ill advised. And and and he and he's and he's, uh, you know, he's having a tough time shooting the ball. So that's something that he's gonna have to get get better at. But but he looks like he has a feel for the game and maybe that's something that uh, uh that will continue to improve for him. And and these will be a couple of guys that they can work with uh during the summer on certain things that they see. And it's just part of that developmental package that that the Jazz have chosen to go in that direction.
Speaker 1: All right, Smitty, before I set you loose, Uh, let's end with this because everybody in the NBA world is talking about it. As Luka Doncic faced his old team last night put up a triple double uh Oklahoma City. But every measurable metric isn't just the favorites. In Vegas, they're the favorite, but you know, their net differential is flirting with all time and they're still on pace to win north of seventy games even though they're forty six and eleven. They did lose just the other night, but they're the favorite with Luca and Lebron. How much of a legitimate threat this year are the LA Lakers?
Speaker 7: Well this year, yeah, we always we always say this, Spencer, and it becomes a passe. But it really depends on their health. I mean, because they're gonna have to, you know, lean on Doncic and James to play forty one forty two minutes a game in playoff games, and those guys are gonna have to be one hundred percent and they're gonna have to be able to to go full bore. If they're able to do that, if they're able to play in in in games where they're not playing back to backs and they don't have to travel issues that you have during the regular season, and they're and they're healthy, Uh, then you surround them with some some complimentary role players, whether it's Hachimura or whether it's the Reeves kid or whoever you got uh to help you in that regard, But those guys will have to do a lot of heavy lifting. Now you can also do that in playoff situations, Spence, because playoff games tend to be slower, they tend to be less possessions, they tend to be more controlled possessions. And with James and and Doncic, you know, those are things that could help them during the course of a potential six or seven game series where where they're able to to save some energy, uh and be able to play at a pace that that suits them a little bit better. So, you know, I've always said this, any team that has Lebron James on it, and he's another guy, meaning a top level guy. He had Anthony Davis for years. Of course before that had Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh. But with this team, if Doncic is healthy and James is healthy, I don't put anything past him because Don Chic is a special talent and James has shown that he can he can do this, you know, against anybody at any time. And it's still is still getting it done at age forty, So you know, is it possible, Yeah, yeah, it's possible. You know, will it happen? Well, you know, we'll see. There's a lot of good teams in that mix. I think there's a lot of teams in the West that could come out if they're healthy and playing the way that they expect to play. I think it'll make for the playoffs to be exciting.
Speaker 1: All right, my friend. Always great to see you. Welcome back for a moment. If I don't see you, enjoy the tennis tournament. It's good to be Richard Smith.
Speaker 7: There you go. Hey, I can't I can't deny that. Spend about twenty two.
Speaker 1: Minutes away from tip off for the Utah Women. They're taking on West Virginia tonight. West Virginia very good team, number eighteen in the country. Both teams are twenty one and six. You can see that game on ESPN Plus. We're gonna have the Utah Men's game on the radio station tonight. The Utah Men are taking on Arizona Ada McHale first game with Josh Eilert on the sideline as the interim head coach. After the news came down to Craig Smith has been relieved of his duties.
Speaker 2: So busy night on the station tonight.
Speaker 1: Gonna bring in Josh Furlong from KSEL coming up in just a little bit fun stuff. Earlier, Chris Comroddie rolled by, as did Trey Fitzgerald from RSL Real saw Lake in action tonight Aridiano. It's Leg two of the CONCACAFF Champions Cup. It is here in our state. It's a home match for RSL. That's a six thirty star time. The Utah jazzer in action tonight as well. The Jazz are welcoming in the Sacramento Kings. That's a seven o'clock tip time at Delta Center. And by you is an action they're taking on Arizona State, trying to continue their hot streak. That's a seven thirty star time and that can be seeing on ESPN Plus. So busy, really busy night in local action with the Utah Women, the Utah Men, BYU and RSL in addition to the Utah Jazz. The Utah Hockey Club got a good win last night over a bad Chicago team, but that almost got loose. They went down one zero, scored two goals one two to one, and that's the type of game at this point you cannot let slip away. If you missed our Bill Armstrong interview earlier this week, the general manager of the Utah Hockey Club, it was a really fun conversation. Seems like a great guy, and he basically said, this is a situation now where we have twenty three game sevens left. Currently, the Utah Hockey Club finds themselves three points behind the Calgary Flames and seven points beyond the Colorado Avalanche and the race for the wild card, so they are right in the mix. Man, got to win more a home. Gotta make sure you protect to ice. They're gonna try to hold off to Saint Louis. Blues are on sixty points, Vancouver is on sixty three points, and the Utahey Club is on sixty one, so they are right in the mix for a wild card, which really would be a phenomenal accomplishment for how quickly they had to essentially get this team here. Gary Bettman joined our radio show the Commission of the NHL and said, the first conversation apt with Ryan about this was in March, and they basically were able to get it done by May, and now they are three points beyond Calgary for a wildcard spot in the world of pro hockey.
Speaker 2: So some good stuff, all right.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the latest with the university's athletic department with Josh Furlong from cass On on a Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Josh Happy Wedes and man, how are we.
Speaker 6: Doing I'm doing well. How about yourself, Man, I'm good.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: So now that we've had a couple of days between the news, your reaction when you heard that Craig Smith had been fired, and where you at with it as we sit here today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I think it was surprising in the terms of the timing, right, And I think that's what really surprised everybody the most. It wasn't surprising that Craig was fighting for his job the entire time he knew it. I think the way that he recruited this year kind of indicated that in terms of what he did, he knew that this is kind of a lasticch effort. I think it was just you know, I think for everybody it's just an odd timing to do it. But in retrospect, I mean, if you've got your guy that you want and you want to act fast, I mean it's it's I don't want to call it a perfect timing, but I think it's a good opportunity to be able to just jump while the irons hot. So, you know, I think I think Utah has in a good spot in terms of what they're doing. You know, it always sucks to be able to fire a guy that a lot of people liked in terms of personality, But I think Craig was always kind of fighting an uphill battle. He didn't quite have the full support of, you know, the athletic department the second he was hired. He had a fan base that really just wasn't you know, energized by him. They obviously wanted an alumni to be able to be the coach and bring back some culture there, and so I think he was just always trying to fight for something that was ultimately never going to pan out. So, you know, the timing, the timing stucks by all means, but I think that the reality is is, you know, you don't want him to get hot in the end of the season, and then suddenly what do you do? And then you're kind of pinned trying to figure out what to do. So it makes sense to just it's just a tough situation, and you feel for the guys that are on the team that absolutely do love Craig. You know, this was a team that the one hundred percent bought into who he was and kind of his personality, and it's just hard that they don't get to be able to spend senior night with him and do different things that way.
Speaker 1: So interesting stuff there, Josh, I am unaware of the fact, and I guess obviously what you're saying is correct because you know he was fired. But elaborate a little bit more on just how hot that seat was and when you feel like the heat became really really hot. Was it last year? Was it two years ago? Like how long as you put it, Craig fighting for his job. When do you think that battle really really got going?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think ultimately was last summer. Obviously, as you know, the transferportal open up and a lot of these players there was a mass exodus. Coaches were trying to leave. You know, I don't want to, you know, put words into anybody's mouth, but I could see, you know, somebody like a Chris Burgess deciding to say, look, I don't want to go down with this ship and take his reputation once again. That's my opinion. So don't put that on me saying that that's what Chris said or anything. But I think you're looking at situations like that where you were starting to see he was on the hot seat, and there was rumblings that you know, people were trying to talk to Andre Miller to come work for the team and come being the assistant, trying to get something in there, and they were just there was just a general sense of frustration that he wasn't able to get you taught to where they needed to be, especially in what we would consider to be a weaker PAC twelve. Right if you look at the Big twelve, it's going to obviously be much challenged, much more challenge. The fact that they were going to the Big twelve with this mass exodus, I think everybody just kind of had that written out there that this was his you know, last year. If he couldn't do anything with this, that doesn't help, and so then you get picked as the sixteenth worst team in the conference. You know, he was just coming into this already just under fire. I know some relationships have soured, whether that be from the athletic department with donors, with with alumni trying to help him. I know there was frustrations all around and some of that look you look at somebody like in Craig Smith spot like he wasn't always given a great opportunity. He had players that got injured that hurt them and take their run. You know, you've got this alumni base that wants to come in and say, hey, this is how we do it here. You understand why a guy wants to come in there and say, hey, look I want to do it my way, like I with all due respect, like I don't need you as a handout ted situation, right, And I know that rubs people the wrong way, but I can see why somebody would want to do that. So it's just a challenge, you know. And I think he felt the heat and he was doing everything that he could to be able to get there. It just it was just never really going to work out. And it felt like this was a foregun conclusion no matter where Utah finished, barring you know, then finishing in the top four or getting d NC tournament and even then, I don't know. I just think that Utah needed a galvanizing moment, and I think everybody around that and the donors around it feel like it had to be somebody related to the old era of you know, Rick Majeris and the winning times to be able to bring back that culture.
Speaker 2: So some interesting things there.
Speaker 1: And Josh Grant joined the program this week and was very clear eyed salient, honest and direct about the news in his words, exciting him. And then josh himself talked about how a lot of alumni did try to reach out to Craig to offer assistance, whatever it is. I'm a little bit conflicted about this, Joshua. Let's dig in here for a moment, because if you put yourself in Craig's shoes, your job is not to answer the phone calls of alumni calling to try to help you do your job better. Your job is to run a program and build a program, and it's so hard to do and such a grind, and certainly with the way the sport has changed, I actually don't know how much I really give a rip about whether or not Craig is answering the phones when the alumni call. And I heard a lot of alumni I say the same thing about Larry Kriskoviak. They had the kind of the same beef, like, Hey, we're reaching out, we're trying to help him, and he doesn't really seem to be, you know, all that open to help. How much of this do you think has to do with that at all, Like alumni reaching out. Look, it's one thing if your last name is Huntsman and your last name is Echols and your last name is Garth, and you call the president of the school and you say, hey, you know those checks, Well, I'm not writing them anymore. If this is your guy, Like, if that's the deal, then we have a different conversation. But if like players that played twenty five years ago want like tickets or access to practice, I don't think that's Craig's job to give them that.
Speaker 2: That's just my opinion where you're at with it.
Speaker 6: No, and I completely agree, And I think you know the thing that you mentioned there with the donors, You know, I know that there was some falling out to an extent there where he didn't I don't want to say panda's the right word, but you know he didn't kind of concede to some of the things that the donors wanted. And so that's where you do lose it, right, Like, if you can't get the donor support, you're not getting the general support there, the money's not coming into the program, like you're screwed. So on that side of the vein, like, yes, Craig hurt himself there, But to your point with this alumni, Yeah, his job as a coach, and obviously, like it's important to be able to have a coach that understands the culture, understands what it is to be a member of the running Utes team, try to pay homage to, you know, kind of that era. But at the same time, he's there to win games. And you know, I wouldn't fault him for not wanting to do it the way that some other former player wanted to do it. You know, it's easy to come into a job and be like, well, our boss did it this way. That's not how it, you know, always works for people. Right, there's obviously glory days and quite honestly, the Rick Majeri's days would not work probably in today's are well. Just a lot of the things that Rick Majaris did wouldn't work in today's era. But that's not the point. I think a lot of people, especial actually alumni, they want to return back to that culture, and you know, that culture is a very specific culture to a guy that had his perfect way of doing it that worked for Utah, Like you said, Larry Kostoviac, he was closer to that, I'd say than Craig was. He obviously had the ear of Huntsmen, and they you know, the reason he got a massive contract that he did is because of Huntsmen, because they were, you know, good friends. But I think the difference there is is you've got a guy that he's already had his back against the wall. He's already been told, you know that he's not going to get that same support that he's had from previous coaches, and so when other people kind of swoop in and say here's how to do it, like, you can see why he's going to say, no, I'm going to do it my way. If I'm going to go down with this ship, I'm going to do it my way. And so you can't fault unnecessarily to that. I know it's frustrating. I know that really rubbed people the wrong ways. You know, the fan base absolutely wanted to buy into this team, and I think the hard part was is Craig's way worked at times, but then they would go on and lose these games that were like boneheaded games. You know, you go beat Kansas and Kansas State and then you go lose to a team like UCF that had only won five games in the regular or in the Big Twelve conference schedule, and so you've got the situation where that was the kind of the model of his career where he can go out there and you can go beat in Arizona and then you go drop a game against a team like an Oregon State and you're like, what the heck just happens? So, you know, for me, it was just Craig, if he's going to do this, he's going to go down with the ship and understand that he's going to do it his way. So I don't know that I, you know, care too much that you know you're not doing it the way that other guys do, But I still think you have to kind of pay some respect to that. And unfortunately Craig kind of put himself on an island that ultimately made it so that he had to sacrifice a job for.
Speaker 1: A team that was picked to finish sixteenth in the Big Twelve and a team that, in my opinion, has a roster that is left wanting. Is there a case to be made that Craig actually did a good job as the coach of this team this year?
Speaker 6: Oh? Absolutely. I Mean the fact is, if you win that UCS game, you're five hundred and Big Twelve play and I think anybody would have said that going into two weeks left in the season, you would have said they're crazy. Right, You beat Kansas in Kansas State, you beat b YU, who is now on a tear and is in the top twenty five. Like, this was a good season, and you're doing it with a team with not really a star. I mean, you and I have talked about it. Gabe Madson and Ezrasar have kind of taken on that leadership role and have been the stars of the team. But for the most part, this is kind of a team that is greater than the some of its parts, right, Like I mean, I think it's one of those things where even that UCF game, there was more talent on that roster than there probably is a Utah top to bottom. And so the fact that UCF isn't performing the way that they are isn't indicative in the terms of their talent. And so I think what Craig did was pretty remarkable. They were in contention for a potential buy into the Big twelve tournament by getting into the top eight seeds. Now that's a tough challenge and you still had a tough slate, But the fact that you're even in contention in that in the last part of the season kind of shows that he's got the chops. It's not perfect, right, Like, there's many flaws of what Craig Smith did and the things that made it so that it was really frustrating to watch turnovers or whatever that may be in consistent play. But the fact that he's able to pull together a group of players that he has that don't really have a star yet and still be almost five hundred and big twelve play kind of shows the talent that they had. So, you know, it's frustrating for him. They obviously exceeded expectations, but you know that's the nature of this sport, and you e didn't get them to the nc A tournament. So the donors, you know, aren't happy, fans aren't happy. They're obviously not turning out as much, and so that's the nature of the game.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you, based off your knowledge in your reporting, if there's any meat on this bone, because and you make some really good points about if you know who you want and that coach is available, and you've decided to move on from the guy you have, then just pull the ripcord, pulled the band aid, off and get get the higher done. And maybe that's what has described the timing, and maybe that's the point we all should kind of lean into and land on. I was told part of the timing was trying to lean into some player retention on the current roster they want back next year. Now, if you just go down the roster, that to me is a little bit difficult to believe that you would fire your head coach to get Like, I think Jake Wallen's a nice player, right, and I think Ezra is a nice player. I'm not saying these kids can't play, but the bulk of the better players on the roster are seniors. You know, ultimately lost in Gabe. You know, you know Sharav Jamps is a junior. Jake Walleen as a reference, he's a sophomore. Ezra is a junior. He could come back as well, Keanu Dawes, who's showed them some minutes as a sophomore. Meral Little is a soft Do you think there's any meat on that bone that they decided to pull the trigger now because they think they have a better chance at getting some of these kids back without him. That doesn't seem to resonate a ton with me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think it's a part, right, But I don't think it's the top priority. You know, it's maybe be like priority see as part of this, I mean there's there's pieces there, and you mentioned a couple that I would think that they would absolutely want and Jake Qually and Keanu does if not just for kind of a local angle, you know, if you could keep Ezra, I would imagine Azra gets a lot of attention to the transfer portal just for what he's been able to do the last part. But if you know, if you can keep some of that core, then yeah, maybe maybe that helps. But as we've talked about, like there's not necessarily a player on this roster that's not graduating that you're just saying, oh, it's a muff half, right, Like it would be nice to have Ezra come back one. And I think if you could get him with a new coach that can kind of coach him up to be even better, that is one hundred percent of guy you don't want to lose. But I don't think this is the end goal here, right, Like the end goal here is to get a coach quickly to be able to make sure that you kind of stabilize things you're out front, especially if it's the guy that we all know, and I'm just gonna say it's Alex Jensen. If you can get him, especially while the Dallas Mavericks in disarray, it's a perfect time. Then if you do have him hired and then he can help with the roster management and kind of ease some expectations there, then it's better, right like, and then I think it works. But I just I don't buy it that the timing right now had really anything to do with roster retention. It's a factor, but it's not one of those big factors where it's like you couldn't wait till later, especially with the roster that.
Speaker 1: They have all right, Before we move on to what's next, Josh Eiler's first task as the head coach is McHale Center against Arizona, which is wild. Of course, an Arizona team that's going to be grumpy after they got job.
Speaker 2: And that was a horrible call. I don't care what anybody has to say.
Speaker 1: Yes, there were some bad calls throughout the game, but a few things can be true at once. Let's hold multiple thoughts on our mind. The call at the end against BYU. If I'm an Arizona fan on my rates, what do you make of the challenge Utah's in front of the end tonight? And what do you know about josh as You've kind of dug into it a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I agree with your first time. I mean that call was just the fact that you got and I'm not getting into these lives. Oh well at that point in the game. Like no, it's just not really a foul ever, especially with how aggressive they've let these guys play. Anyways, this you know, going into Michael Center, it's always a challenge, especially for a Utah team. It doesn't matter what the coach is, you know, it's just always been a difficult place to play. And this is for most teams, right You just don't go into Arizona and win, And so I think this is a tall task for them regardless. Now I'm really curious to see where you know, this Utah team. It may show how galvanized they are around Craig Smith. That was their guy, you know, like I said, they didn't he didn't lose the locker room by any means. You know, there was a true emotional connection there. So I could see them playing really tough for their coach, really trying hard there to be able to compete. But once again, it's Arizona. You know, I wouldn't expect to win, but we'll see. As far as Josh Arlette goes, I mean, this is a guy that last year, you know, you have him put into the interim head coach position at West Virginia kind of win in there, was expecting to be returning as head coach. Everybody kind of expected him to be this guy that could probably take West Virginia to the next level from the East. You know, he understands that area Big twelve very well. And then suddenly they decide to go in another direction and he's lost without that job. And so now he's in a similar position at Utah, and you know the writings on the wall where they're not looking for Josh Eiler to be the head coach moving forward. He's this is very temporary. Obviously, you'd want to keep him on staff because I think he provides a lot of value. He's a phenomenal coach of biggs. He understands the game at a high level. He understands the Big twelve at a high level. Coming from it. This is this is a guy that you know you can build rosters around, and especially as a coaching staff. He's a great person to be able to have on the rosters. So I'm curious to see how it is. You know, he's a great guy, he's a friendly guy, he's he coaches with passion, but he's also got the voice of the players right like he understands and he wants to be able to have them heard. So I'm really fascinated to see how this goes. I don't envy him by any means. I mean, this is a tall task. Any game after you lose your head coach is going to be tough, but this is arguably probably the toughest game you probably could have had on the schedule to be able to put Josh eilerd in to really kind of take over as Utah's head coach.
Speaker 2: All right, Josh.
Speaker 1: Of course, now we move over into the space of what comes next and a couple of things here. So JEFFBORZELOESPN dot com wrote a piece on the coaching carousel and college basketball and one of the avenues that teams that have a head coaching vacancy that exists in the P four space often take is looking at some young coaches from smaller programs that have had success. And it's a really cool thing when you watch March Madness when to coaches, you know, coaching at a smaller school, they get an h bid and they go win a couple of games and then he's hired by Illinois or whatever and he makes a bunch of money, and it's great, it's cool, it's really fun. And Jeff has a list on his piece that includes UC San Diego's Eric Olsen, Nico Medvedad from Colorado State, Eric Henderson from South Dakota State, Leon Rice Boise State, Russell Turner from UC Irvine. He even has Jared Calhoun on his list. And my guess is that's not going to happen. And Mark has already gone this route. That's how he decided to bring Craigan. It's the very same thing now that is not a bad route to take. Okay. Now, on the other side, of course, as you know and you've written about and you've covered over at KSL, there's the former ute contingent that is pining for a Alex Jensen head coach and Andre Miller assistant coach. Bench and you know, when it comes to either of these routes, the final route is trying to grab somebody who's been on the sideline for a while. It's kind of a bigger name that wants to get back in the game. So of all the routes, what's the josh for a long take, what do you think Mark Harlan should do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think the first time around. You know, it's kind of similar to the conversation we had about Craig Smith about wanting to do it your way. I think Mark Carlin wanted to do it his way and didn't necessarily want to say we're just going to go the alumni route, right, And so I think that's why he wanted to go with this up and coming coach that had won at every level, and that's why he picked Craig Smith. And I you know, that's still not a bad route because you're seeing coaches that do it all the time that can succeed. I think we're at the point now where if Utah is going to take that next level, they have to at least try their hand at somebody that the donors want. And I know that's a tricky game. You see this all the time with coaches and other institutions where when you go with the alumni it doesn't always pan out, you know, and then you're in a disaster, and now you've just kind of changed the name of a guy that people have loved forever. So it's risky, but I think Utah's at a point now where that money, whether it be nil or just athletic support people coming into the Hunting Center, that's not coming unless you actually bow down to the alumni. And so all those names that were mentioned are great, and honestly, you could throw in, you know, Richard Patino in there and Blanket, I'm a guy at Grand Canyon, what his name is, But you've got there, you go. You've got a lot of these guys that you know would absolutely be a great fit for Utah in my opinion, But in this era where there's been so much apathy towards Utah men's basketball, you have to at least pay homage to that Rick Vinjerisara, and what better way to do that than with Alex Jenson. Obviously, Andre Miller would be a great fit there, Johnny Bryant would be a great fit there. But I think just the experience that Alex Jensen's had. He's a hometown kid, grew up in Centerville, went to Viumont, went to Utah. I mean, this is a kid that is Utah threw and through. If you can get him, and there's been a lot of traction about you know him, him being the next guy, this becomes a home run for at least perception standpoints right. Obviously he's been a great coach. A lot of credit to him, or there was a lot of credit given to him for what he did with Rudy Gobert and made him the defense. It's a player that he is. If you can get him to be able to coach at the college level alla you know Kevin Young at BYU, and take it from that NBA route to the collegiate route, then you potentially get a lot more dollars, You get a lot more support, and it may fizzle out still and you may be back at this conversation in three four years, but at least you're getting some sort of galvanizing moment to help the university do better. And any coach that comes into this has to get some sort of level of support from the university, from the donors, you know, from whatever it takes to be able to get money there, because if you come into this in a similar situation, this is not a good job. Nobody would want to pick this job because you're destined to fail. You've got to be able to have that support. You've got to have much more nil money. You can't just have two million dollars. I mean by us playing, you know, one player two million dollars, and if you're doing that against your rival, you have to at least compete. So you know, I know they have circled Alex Jensen as their priority number one. As I said, there's there's been a lot of conversations about him progressing that way. My understanding is that they have met already met the things of progressing in the right way, and so I think if you can go that route and get that support, that's the best case. You know, it doesn't matter what other great coaches are out there.
Speaker 2: You have to try this route, last thing, and I'll set you loose.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the conversations and topics talking points after Tom Homo announced that he was stepping down after twenty years was his hires and we've talked about it with doctor Hill as well. When Doctor Hill stepped out, you know, and essentially Tom you can make an argument that he went five for five Bronco, Dave Rose, Mark, Pope Kalade Satake, and now Kevin Young.
Speaker 2: Mark Carlin's only hire is Craig.
Speaker 1: Now, with all due respect to the other sports, were just existing in the basketball and football realm because they're the revenue generators. There are other hires and both BYU and Utah that have worked out, but the one main hire Mark has made was Craig, and it, you know, obviously is fizzled out. How much pressure is there on Mark Carlan to get this one right?
Speaker 6: Well? Absolutely, I mean I think this is this is the higher that will likely determine Mark Carland's tenure at Utah as well. You know, I think there's a lot of pressure on him right now to be able to make the right higher here. And when you're one higher of high notoriety, you know, phizzle that help that that doesn't help you. And I think in this industry you're judged based on how well you hire and kind of what you bring to the institution. Mark has always done a good job of being able to bring donations and fundraising to the university. So he's you know, he's doing his job as an athletic director. But if you're not able to bring in a coach that is sustainable and able to get your team to the level that you expect them to. You know, NCAA tournaments is always the benchmark inside basketball, then you know you're on the hot seat.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: As much as coaches have to perform, so does the athletic director. And so you know, whether you agree with it or not, this Hier absolutely is going to most likely determine mark our future at the University of Utah. And you know this this will be interesting because he's going to do this well, not necessarily having a lot of control either, because he's going to have to pay respect to what these donors want. And if you're not getting that money, you know, this is kind of out of your hands. He could go out there and hire Richard Patino, he could go out there and hire somebody because they're an up and coming coach and you know, have a legacy and family name of being able to win at the highest levels in basketball. But if you still don't get that support from the donors, you're at the same level, right, And so I think some of this is out of his control, but at the same time, this is kind of a position that he's painted himself into. He's also been lucky that he's had a head coach in the football program that has lasted as long as he has. They've identified the heir apparent. You know that everything's gone well there. And then in all of his other spots, he's been able to keep longevity with coaches, coaches that have been with softball or gymnastics, you know, where you're promoting. Even with the women's basketball, you just had to promote with them. So you know, he's had a good time doing that. And so you're going to be judged on such a fine uh, you know, timeline, especially when that's really the biggest tire that you've made.
Speaker 1: Josh, thanks for the time, man, good stuff, Keep up the great work and we'll chat soon.
Speaker 6: Sounds good man, I appreciate it. Having a bit.
Speaker 1: Josh for Long covers the University of Utah for casts out, reporting that his understanding is Alex Jensen is the main target for the University of You tide coaching job. Are you in a.
Speaker 2: Romantic mood today? What's going on?
Speaker 6: This?
Speaker 1: Is this the the Righteous Brothers.
Speaker 8: This is more hollow Oats. I had to keep a little uh on track there.
Speaker 1: This is This is Holland Oats covering the Righteous Brothers because I believe they wrote this song.
Speaker 8: Oh did they?
Speaker 1: I think so?
Speaker 8: I believe so the Righteous Gemstones Brothers. Is that what you're talking about?
Speaker 1: Coming back Sunday Sunday Night, Righteous Gemstones back on HBO.
Speaker 8: That's actually awesome.
Speaker 1: I badly needed.
Speaker 8: Yeah, some hollow Oats uh breakup song, I would.
Speaker 1: Say, which, you know? So what are you trying to do?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 8: I'm just it's it goes with the theme of the week. He come in bad coming up next to It's kind of a touchy situation.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, now I appreciate that shadowy. Did you ever skateboard.
Speaker 7: As a kid?
Speaker 1: A little bit?
Speaker 3: I grew up like a snowboard kid as you as you know, my mom is a snowboarder by trade, and so a little bit. They put a skate park like in Oakley and Rodeoville randomly, and we definitely used it. I crash when I'm on bikes, on boards on all of the above. I don't have the filter a limit, so I crash and Curt myself.
Speaker 1: So there's a group of hooligans outside skateboarding right now. Oh and looks like they're creating content and scared to go outside now as you do. And they're like skating in the middle of traffic because it's rush hour here in downtown saut Lake, and rush hour of course brings, you know, multiple vehicles, and these hooligans look like they're sixteen or seventeen. They've got one dude taking videos and the rest are like houcking tricks. I think that's what they say off the curve over here.
Speaker 8: You should go out there and Karen do like a make a scene, you know what?
Speaker 1: I heard his story, A former friend of the program apparently is the Karen of his neighborhood. I'll tell you when we signed off, it is not Month. I wish it was so badly. I wish it was Gordon. I'm not going to say who it is on air because he actually still is a friend. But apparently he's the dude that if he sees the skateboarders and it's not Bill, he's the dude that rolls out and tells the skateboarders to chill out.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to go full Karen.
Speaker 1: But if I do drive out and they get my way, we might have to have a conversation.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Gettle Street kids speaking.
Speaker 1: Of a righteous gemstone before we get out of here. Danny McBride is a hard yes for me. Like whatever Danny McBride is in or does, I automatically just watch it, give him a bend for the doubt. Who else is on that list when it comes to TV like Larry David right, Yes, pretty short list. He doesn't do much. Just a hard yes yeah.
Speaker 3: Me And since you went comedy with with those guys, Jason Bateman, if it's television, I'll watch it. Arrested Development awesome, Ozark awesome, he's got the range, he's he's good.
Speaker 2: He does he does all right. Time for us to get out of here.
Speaker 1: The Utah men's basketball team is taking on Arizona at McHale. Shout out to Josh Eiler, interim head coach, and this is his first task, my goodness, So stay tuned for that porter what comes our way On a Thursday edition of the show.
Speaker 3: On a Thursday, Little Hockey with Neil Smith behind the glass, We'll talk some jazz with one Andy Larson, a little golf Update with our friend at Paul Pugmyer. And of course, as we do each and every day an NBA daily is It's is Tim McMahon on a Thursday this time all.
Speaker 1: Right, good stuff, So join us there for this Thursday edition of the show, and we'll say good night and thank you to Chris Camaraddie, Trey Fitzgerald, Richard Smith and Josh Furlong. Missed iny of it websites and option SPN seven hundred sports dot com. Download our app ESPN one hundred app is free and available the Google play Store and the App Store as well on the Apple side. Then for what we do four hours every afternoon, support our podcast. Please let's call the Drive with Spence. Check its. It's available wherever you get your shows. I think it's the best way to listen to what we do. You listen to what you want to when you want to listen to a subscribeer rate reviews, say nice things, give us all the stars. He's Porter, I'm Spen saying tonight, Utah Hoops coming up next right here on ESPN seven hundred and ninety two ANDEFM proud to be part of Utah's ESPN Radio network