Speaker 1: All right, the questionnaire is obvious. Did Jason Batakia, who was a young did he go with simple plan? Or is this something you chose yourself?
Speaker 2: This was this was just a callback to our uh, our conversation earlier. Simple plan. I think I think you can win tickets on the show on the station this week somehow.
Speaker 3: All right, yeah, I guess you got to listen to Sean show for.
Speaker 2: That, right, Yes, okay, Jason, Jason's just a kid, so I guess it plays to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that works.
Speaker 1: We had Jason's Boston studio Aaron Folk earlier, and Jason Batakio makes his tround for return to the program on a Friday, Jason, Happy Friday, man, How are you good?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 4: How are you guys doing?
Speaker 3: We're good?
Speaker 1: I gotta know as a young what's on the uh what's on the Apple Music Spotify playlist for Jason Batakio these days?
Speaker 5: That's a good question. I I honestly have a mix of a lot of things.
Speaker 4: I'm a I'm a bit of an boldie at heart. I've been listening to a lot of outcasts lately, some mini Ripperton. I know that sounds crazy coming from a twenty three year old Drake's been in heavy rotation obviously, Kendrick Lamar, I know that's a pretty hot topic. Yeah, honestly, a little bit of everything. Yeah, I like some country here and there, you know my Oklahoma roofs. So yeah, I don't know, just anything that comes on the playlist. Honestly, I play, but those are the things that come to mind for me. I'm sure you're pretty shocked about the mini Ripperton. I was too when I started listening to it.
Speaker 1: Not gonna lie so only Jason, only respect for many Ripperton.
Speaker 3: You lost me at Drake. I am anti. I'm not a Drake guy.
Speaker 4: Okay, Kendrick.
Speaker 5: Kendrick at least.
Speaker 3: Loves love me some Kendrick just not a Drake I never have been.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, what's your favorite Kendrick album?
Speaker 1: I have to ask, Oh, you gotta go all the way back. I'm gonna have to look it up because mostly his old stuff. Uh, because my my son. I raised my son on hip hop. But I am a I'm like a nineties hip hop you know tribe call quest Day lost soul type, and so I don't listen to a lot of new stuff. But when Kendrick dropped my son was like, you gotta, you gotta, you gotta listen to Kendrick. So I listened to a lot of Kendrick's early stuff, but not so much as of late.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a big tramp called quest in, a Dela Soul.
Speaker 5: Fan as well.
Speaker 4: My my friend put me on because I was a big J Dilla guy, and I got no clue that yeah, so yeah, yeah, those are those are some of my favorite artists.
Speaker 5: But enough of the artists.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you guys are here to have me on for other things.
Speaker 3: So well, not at all, Jason.
Speaker 1: You have to understand, and I remind people this, we have four hours of airtime to fill, so we can talk about hip hop like all day because we were we were We were debating a question earlier and I got Falk's take on this. Do you think there is such a thing as just good music? Is there like a definition of good music or is it left to the Is it left to the discretion of the individual.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good question. I think there's bad music. Like I feel like, if you play bad music, they're the majority of people will tell you it's bad music. But I think good music is up to the discretion of the individual honestly, because you know.
Speaker 5: Everybody has their own little genre that they like.
Speaker 4: You know, some people are our country lovers, some people are hip hop lovers, some people love R and B and so yeah, I don't know, but I feel like a really bad song, you can tell, Like that's just my opinion, and maybe maybe there's the one person that really likes a horrible song.
Speaker 5: But I don't know. I feel like people are usually.
Speaker 4: In agree andce of like that's a horrible song, but good songs, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: It kind of has some variance to it. So I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's a good question. Yeah, really philosophical question.
Speaker 5: I like it though, love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your your boss and friend Aaron Falk kind of had a similar response. So all right, now we'll move over into the scope of Utah football. Jason and were three weeks away tomorrow from opening day. Let me just get your feel just your your your your overall field general feel. As you've been up there witnessing as much practice as they allow and interviewing as many people as they allow you to, it feels like and maybe this is just this time of year, there's a tremendous amount of optimism and positive energy is a term I hear a lot from players and coaches. What's your feel just as far as where Utah football is at three weeks away from the opener, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would I would agree with you on that it feels like things are more positive than they have been in a while. And that's not to say you know, past iterations of the team, so it's not been positive, but there's just kind of a feeling of unknown, but also a feeling of like hope. I would say, you know, I think I think Devin's brought a lot of renewed energy and leadership of this team. You know, it seems like he's he's like the guy and I've not heard Kyle rave about somebody more than him all fall camp.
Speaker 5: You know, obviously the defense is going to be the defense, you.
Speaker 4: Know way Sean Parker's obviously been hyped up the past few days. I know Utah fans saw the highlight clip of him running over like three defenders into the end zone, and so yeah, I would say the same thing. It's it's kind of like a renewed energy, you know. I think Kyle feels that way. You know, and so yeah, I would agree with you on that.
Speaker 3: When it comes to Devin, Devin Dampier.
Speaker 1: You know, I was I was surprised at Big twelve media days that the optimism for what he could be seem to be a consensus positive. Like, ultimately he's jumping up a level in competition. Ultimately it was twelve TD's twelve picks through the air, and ultimately he's my size.
Speaker 3: He's like five ten, five eleven, you know. Like, but but.
Speaker 1: Jason, from my standpoint, everybody is expecting and believes that great things are going to happen with him.
Speaker 3: Do you share that sentiment? Do you share that optimism?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say I'm I'm relatively high on Devin. You know, I think the turnovers are an issue, and they were an issue last year. Obviously that has to be cleaned up, especially in the twelve. But you know, he he has the capability and and the numbers, I mean are there. There's only been I think four or five other quarterbacks that have done what he's done. You know, two from my alma Moterate Oklahoma, Jalen Hurts and Kyler Murray. And you know, when you're on the echelon statistically. Obviously it was in the Mountain West, and you know, we know what the Mountain West is is a conference. But you know, I would say that, yeah, there is a lot of optimism. I think now it's just you know, the river's got to meet the road somewhere and Utah fans will really see if the hype is what it's supposed to be with him. But you know, when you have a quarterback that can run for a thousand yards and pass for twenty five hundred yards and do it at a high level, obviously there's there's a lot of room for optimism. But you know, I think the other thing that coaches and the players and just kind of the that I've gotten from people I've talked to is like, he's he's a tremendous leader.
Speaker 5: You know, he's somebody that is just not a me guy.
Speaker 4: He's you know, he's he's taken everybody to dinner. He you know, he knows he's one of those guys that knows everybody's name on the team, you know, And I think that's encouraging just from the perspective of being a quarterback. You know, you want somebody that can rally the troops you want somebody that you know can can build that trust, not only on the field but off the field. And so that's kind of been you know, obviously, we we can talk all about you know, his passing, you know, turnovers naed to be cleaned up, or you know, he ran for a thousand yards, but when we're talking about pure intangibles, I think his leadership and just his ability to you know, form relationships.
Speaker 5: With the players.
Speaker 4: This year has been something that everybody's talked about and you know, so yeah, I would say the feeling is high. You know, well, we'll see what happens this year. I think UCLA will be a really good first test for him, especially going against Nico and you know, a former five star quarterback in him. So yeah, I would say the vibes are high right now, but we'll see where it goes for sure.
Speaker 1: So ultimately, I mean, I don't know if it's the Northeast in me, I'm just skeptical about everything and anything. So you know, it's just kind of like a like the Missouri motto, the show me state. So so the reason I bring it up in that context, Jason, like who's he throwing the ball to? Like who is kind of stepped forward out of this wide receiver group because even if Zach Williams didn't transfer, there was still questions about h the depth of what that room was.
Speaker 3: Going to look like. But Zach is in Southern cal for USC.
Speaker 1: So tell me what your understanding is as far as the way this wide receiver group is evolving and whether or not you have confidence that he's gonna have the weapons he needs to do what he needs to do in the Big twelve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good question. You know, I think there's a lot of skepticism in the wide receiver room and and Kyle's even noted that just even in the first two weeks of camp, is like, you know, that's the biggest question mark that Utah has added into the season, even even with or without Zach Williams. But a few names have kind of been floating around.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Tobias Maryweather obviously is somebody who hopes six', four can you, know run a four fourth. Split you, know he had decent success At Notre, dame and you, Know I'm i'm blanket on the other. School he went To, gosh but you, know obviously been to two. Schools he, said you, know this week that he came To utah for you, know a star, role and it seems like he's he's rising to the. Top outside of, him you, know we've heard a lot about The Adrian, zipper you, know a guy that's a. Returner you, know it seems like he's a making headway a lot of good. CATCHES i, know a lot of fans saw That Pastor Isaac wilson to him where he you, know pulled out some of the toe drag SWAGS i would call. It in my young gears caught a ball diving on the on the. Sideline so those seem like the two guys right now that that could be you, know risers for number one and number. Two but outside of, that it's really you, know up for grabs Me creed little. More he's you know somebody that has, size came from THE, sec was a four star. Recruit we talked to him a little bit this. Week you, Know Ryan davis is A. Vet you, know he had seven hundred plus at receiving yards last. Year you, know he's somebody That devin's familiar. With so there's a chemistry already established. There you, know you could throw him in the slot and so, YEAH i would Say tobias And zipper are kind of the two guys that seem like they're rising right. Now but it's it's still it's still a question And i'm sure we'll learn more next, week just with with The saturday scrimmage that you know is going, on And kyle will open up a bit. More but, yeah it's it is a question mark for, sure but you, know it kind of.
Speaker 5: Just depends on who wants to.
Speaker 4: Rise and you, KNOW i Think utah is in an interesting. POSITION i, mean if they don't have receivers they can go. TO i, Mean Dallan bentley is a good tight. End i'm obviously limited action last year Because Bran keithy was there And Carson ryan who's now A. Byu you, Know Hunter andrews is a guy THAT i feel like they can. Trust you, know we've heard a lot About Jackson danny. Already he's a you, know a walk. On so it sounds like they're they're going through all their options And kyle's not going to allow them to have no, options you. KNOW i mean When, Lander barton and smith snow and are going to be receiving options next, YEAR i don't, know if that's a bad thing or a good. Thing but it seems like they're definitely trying to figure it. Out so that's probably the positive For utah fans for.
Speaker 1: Sure well, Said and you, know this isn't a trade that's exclusive the coach with most great coaches want to control the, trenches and they want great offensive lines and great defensive. Lines And kyle's had some great offensive, lines, man and great offensive linemen have gone to the, pros you, know and we could go down the list Of Garrett bulls and et, cetera et, cetera et. Cetera BUT i don't know THAT i can remember as much hype surrounding A utah offensive line as we're seeing this. Year Dane brugler From The athletic released his summer offensive tackle rankings as far as THE Nfl draft, goes and coming in at two As spencerfano and at five Is Caleb. LOMU i, mean two of the top five tackles In america according to a draft, analyst WHO i think does a really good job played for This university Of utah football, team and surrounding them are really talented veteran players as. Well so what sort of buzz are you hearing about this offensive? Line and how beneficial is it For devin to have these big dogs up.
Speaker 4: Front this goes all the way back to the winter transfer. Portal you, know you, know you hear these guys are getting, offers you, know one, million two million FROM sc.
Speaker 5: Schools you, know big ten schools here or.
Speaker 4: There and that's where when my my radar started painting as, like, oh these guys are legit because you, know WHEN sec And big ten schools are thrown around, money obviously they have a lot of, money but you know when they're thrown around money like, THAT i, mean you know it's it's for you, know not for no.
Speaker 5: Reason and SO i think the hype is. Legit you, know.
Speaker 4: They're both extremely athletic, tackles and you, know in THE nfl systems we have A Kyle shanahan Or sean McVay who loved using the zone read and getting guys in, space And Jason beck has said multiple times in fall camp and even in the spring that he plans.
Speaker 5: On using both those guys in.
Speaker 4: Space you, KNOW i think that's just a plus and just shows the level of upside that both of those guys have and For devin and even Way Sean.
Speaker 5: PARKER i think it's just a. Benefit you, know.
Speaker 4: If if the passing game doesn't work or it's you, know not to the level That kyle wants it to, be then you run the. Ball and we saw big twelve offenses Like Arizona state last year who Had Camp scata boat and they ran the. Ball they the ball over and over again and it almost led them to win Over texas in The College Football. Playoffs so you, know it's it's obviously a. Plus and don't forget about the interior offensive lineman. EITHER i, Mean jerck comps to a proven. Veteran you, know the two guards that they have are also proven, veterans and they're also showing up on mock draft. Boards so you, Know i've heard some people tell me that this is maybe the best offensive Line utah have. Had you, Know i'm not not going to make any lofty predictions that will bite me, back BUT i would say it's definitely up, there AND i would Say spencer And caleb definitely have a chance to be two of some of the best offensive linemen In utah, history just based off of you, know what people are saying about. Them and in the intangibles that they're currently. Displaying so, yeah and LIKE i, SAID i think it just BENEFITS. Debi you, know who doesn't want to All american. TACKLES i think any quarterback would ask for that at any level of college.
Speaker 5: Football so, yeah.
Speaker 1: You Referenced Washan Wasshan parker who had a really nice freshman season For wazoo over five yards per. Carry wasn't their primary but still nearly went for eight hundred. Yards came out and you wrote about this, recently said he wants to wants to touch that fifteen hundred yard. Mark UTAs had seventeen running backs over one thousand yards.
Speaker 3: During their story football.
Speaker 1: Career so tell me about what you've seen From wasshan and then expand the conversation into the room. Entirely some other names maybe to watch out for that. Position, yeah that's a good.
Speaker 4: Point you know Was shan is just an extremely physical, runner but he's also, shifty and that those are two traits when you.
Speaker 5: Can combine them together in a running. Back you know boats very.
Speaker 4: Well you Know utah has had really good running, backs BUT i don't know if they've had somebody that's also shifty and extremely physical AND i mean we saw the clip that was, posted you, know a day or two ago of him just running over. DEFENDERS i, mean you, know if he can stay healthy and him And devin are what people say they, ARE i, MEAN i THINK i think the sky's the. Limit you, KNOW i DON'T i don't know if fifteen hundred yards will be, uh you.
Speaker 5: Know if he'll be able to get. THAT i, mean there's only been Three utah players.
Speaker 4: That have ever done that in history if my stats are, correct and please correct me If i'm, Wrong but you, KNOW i THINK i think the sky's the limit for. Him you, know he seems like a, great great. KID i say, kid And i'm twenty. Three it's kind of funny to say, that but you, know, yeah he seems like just as.
Speaker 5: As people have talked about With. DEVIN i, mean the potentials.
Speaker 4: There you, know he ran seven hundred and thirty five yards and as a as a freshman At Washington, state Alongside Jah, mattier was also a dual threat.
Speaker 5: Quarterback and so you, know we'll we'll see what. Happens you.
Speaker 4: Know Nacari rodgers is somebody that has been kind of floating, around you, know BUT i think behind. HIM i mean there's there's a breadth of running backs to can kind of step. Up you, Know utah's has Very, singlory who you, know is a four. Star, OBVIOUSLY i don't think he'll get playing, time but you, know somebody with talent behind.
Speaker 5: Him Devin green is coming.
Speaker 4: In he was a he knows Way, sean and so there's a lot of guys that can kind of step up and you, know take on a you, know a feature. ROLE i think Way shawn will be the feature, back but if you need a third down or you, know back to play different, roles and you know.
Speaker 5: You can do that in this. Offense so, YEAH i think we.
Speaker 1: Were all operating off the assumption That isaac would be the backup after getting some time as a, freshman and you, know certainly it didn't look great and it's hard to put a lot of that on, him but because you, know true freshmen don't often play very, well certainly at that. Position he was thrust into duty Because cameron couldn't stay. Healthy but he had opportunities to go, elsewhere elected to come, back AND i figured that was because he would at least be the. Backup but it seems like there's a lot of buzz around The Bird ficklin, kid who Like devin can make plays with his feet in a, way And isaac's not awful at.
Speaker 3: That it's just not he. Can he can.
Speaker 1: Really Those wilson boys can just really throw a. Football, so how real is this battle for the backup? Quarterback and where do you think we are at right now in that?
Speaker 4: Race, YEAH i Think kyle said it. Best it's a dead, heat you, Know AND i think at this point last year we knew That isaac was going to be the, backup and it was over veterans Like Brandon, Rose Luke patari and then Even Sam hubert who now was AT. Usc, yeah but it seems, like Like kyle, said it's a dead. Heat you, know obviously two different style of. Quarterbacks you, know if if you're going to look at beck, SYSTEM i, Mean bird is a dual threat. Quarterback you, KNOW i would have hesitation personally about throwing a true freshman out. There you, Know isaac has more, experience but you, know it's this is What trainney camp's. For it's to see who who rises at the. Top and SO i think it's a real competition AND i think we'll know more next week based off of you know what What kyle and the coaching staff see in The saturday. Scrimmage but it's up for, grabs AND I i could see it going either. Way you, KNOW i wouldn't be surprised if it Was. ISAAC i also wouldn't be surprised if his bird because just you know the level of play that he's he's had as a freshman.
Speaker 5: As A i, mean he's.
Speaker 4: Talented you, Know kyle is and said he had a live, arm so you, know it's A it'll be interesting to see for.
Speaker 1: Sure Nate Johnson, jason once upon a time was here and received reps as a starting quarterback as a result of, injuries because there for a couple of, years everybody was getting reps at starting quarterback because nobody can stay. Healthy he leaves and he comes, back and one thing we know is that he can. BURN i, mean he's a dynamot. ATHLETE i don't know that he's a. Quarterback i'm not sure that he'll be used that. Way but what have you seen so far in your limited opportunities as far as how you think they're gonna Use Nate johnson this.
Speaker 5: Year he's A Swiss.
Speaker 4: ARMY i, mean they can use them in any way. Possible you, know they've lined him up at, receiver you, know they shoot. It maybe he could play some running. BACK i, mean if push comes a shove and you need a, quarterback you, KNOW i, Hope i'm sure you taught fans hope it doesn't come to. That but you, know he's a guy who's played snaps the. Quarterbacks you, KNOW i think you can put him everywhere except for offensive, line, honestly and so you, KNOW i think it's up to the coaching staff to kind of figure out what they think is best for. Him but he is an, athlete you, Know he's somebody who is a, burner and you, know if you get him in, space you can make plays with the. Ball AND i think that's what you brought him in. For and SO i think it'll be an opportune based approach or opportunity based approach would probably.
Speaker 5: Be the best way to say. That but, YEAH i don't. KNOW i honestly don't.
Speaker 4: KNOW i can't answer that BECAUSE i THINK i think he is just going to be A Swiss army knife and whatever they feel in the, moment you, Know nate go line up at wide, receiver go line up in, time and go line up a. Quarterback you, KNOW i think it'd be interesting to see A Nate Johnson Devin dan Pier reid. OPTION i would be fascinated.
Speaker 5: To see how that.
Speaker 4: Goes you, know can you imagine those two athletes beyond this offensive? Line so you, KNOW i THINK i think it's A it's an open play look for him for.
Speaker 1: Sure all, Right, jason BEFORE i said you, lose you, know around here we always say you don't really worry about A utah defense with Coach Waitt morgan scally as a. Decordinator but they did lose two key pieces As Keanu tonavas is A cougar And Cameron calhoun is A Crimson. Tide how are they replacing those? Two BEFORE i say you, Lose.
Speaker 4: Yeah obviously a Leaky vimha And dallas you know are rising in the defensive tackle. ROOM i probably just butchered those, names SO i, apologize you, Know and in the quarterback, Room Smith, Snowden Scooby. Davis you, know those have been the two names that have flowed. Around and you, Know Blake cotton is obviously a guy THAT i Think utah has high on on you, know And shreef Saw as mentioned that his depth this year at cornerback is is much better than it was at any. Point so, YEAH i would say when you Have smith and we Have scooby at the cornerback, position you, know you're not really worried about the quarterback, spot especially When sharif is saying, that you, know his depths is as good as it. IS i think the defensive tackle spot is is an interesting. Question you, know they brought in two guys from the transfer portal for, depths BUT i Think navaso is gonna be hard to. Replace AND i know that's hard For utah fans to, hear But keanu was really good whenever he was playing last. Year obviously he was injured for a large portion of the. Season But Junior tifuna is going to be hard to replace as. Well BUT i think, Defensively utah has sean years and years you, know over and over again that you, know they've been able to replace guys with you, know guys that have been you, know marinating on the depth chart for multiple, seasons and so you, KNOW i think people will have questions about, it but you know they'll they'll probably rise to the top again just in terms of you, know guys that they've developed over and over again and so, yeah BUT.
Speaker 5: I do think the portal does make it.
Speaker 4: Interesting you know when you do lose guys Like keanu and And Cam calhoun and you know you expected those two guys to be starters for you and now they're. GONE i, mean it's always going to raise question. Marks but you, Know utah is known for its. Defense last year they struggled against the. RUN i think that's the biggest question For utah this season is just you, know how are they going to manage to run defensively at The big twelve for a second.
Speaker 5: Season so, yeah.
Speaker 3: Where can everybody go and find your? Word?
Speaker 4: Jay?
Speaker 5: Uh, yeah go look?
Speaker 4: Up look Up Jason. Batakio it's J. A S O n B a T a C ao On. Google you can find me there or you can follow me On. Twitter even Though i'm not a Big twitter guy right, NOW i have been TOLD i need to tweet, more SO i just don't like that up. Sometimes but you can follow me On, Twitter jay underscore B a T a C. Ao i'm definitely trying to post, more so you'll probably catch me on there a little bit more during the.
Speaker 5: Season so, yeah that's where you can find.
Speaker 3: Me thanks for the, time. Buddy you have a good, Weekend.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah you. Too appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Guys Jayson batakiao covers The university Of utah for The Salt Lake. Tribune we are three weeks away from tomorrow opening day for The, utes opening day FOR, Byu opening day For Utah state college football is right around the.
Speaker 3: Corner