Speaker 1: Hello, check one three. Good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Iron the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and with me today's Dave Silver here. Oh good, okay, cool, thanks, you're magical, mister meatball. Were good afternoon, everybody, Welcome to Tuesday's show. In with me again today is Dave Silver. Sorry for the lateness. We have Kobe at the board here. If you'd like to give us a call five to zero four one, six, seventy four forty. I hope you can hear us. Yeah, everything fine, can you hear me? I can hear you. Okay, I'm here. Great. If you guys want to call, please do Hey another day of adventure or no adventure? No adventure, no portal. People from the men's basketball team. I haven't had any confirmations about the women's team, although there's kind of some rumblings. Remember today though, David's April Fool's Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're seeing a lot of fakeness there.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes we are. So we'll see what we have today for the show. Today, we're gonna have going to have mister Jim Rosborough. I forg it would be a good time to talk to him about his experience with the women's PEMA team and just you know how fun that was getting to the finals of the of the championship game, for that national championship game. And then if you remember, David, you were there. I was there in Indianapolis twenty eight years ago, yesterday, and just remember reminiscent about the day and the night and the today would have been the day after, right, the hangover. I'm sure you were at the airport trying to get back.
Speaker 2: I was. I'm trying to remember. I think we stayed a little bit. We didn't. I think we were behind the team, and in terms of our travel, I can't remember exactly when we got in, but it took a while for us to get back. But yeah, it was a big It was a big moment for us too. Yeah, trying to just cover stuff and then now, okay, are we done? Are we sending more stuff back to Tucson? You know, as far as stories.
Speaker 1: Go, Well, if you remember the game, I was not writing until like one in the morning. Yeah, I mean that's when I started, because you know, you said, you linger, you try to get his men quote and scenes. Yeah, I'm sure you were the kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, though, Yeah, so we I mean, like our job in those years was basically to cover the news that night at ten o'clock whatever, you know, it was midnight there, I guess, and then you know, get material back for the next morning or the next day. So they would have stuff because we were the only ones that had it at that point. We had it in our cameras, so we had to somehow transmit it back to Tucson. So that was kind of part of our process. So we were we were kind of you know, going at warp speed pretty much until I would say, probably two o'clock in the morning that night. That's about right as things were you know, wrapping up and the parking lots were closed down, and we were in our you know, you know, we were big satellite trucks just sitting there trying to put together material for the next day.
Speaker 1: As you look back twenty eight years ago, was it as you look back now, and with the technology, was it pretty antiquated?
Speaker 2: Back then? It was pretty antiquated, But you still were getting material out via satellite, which they still do they do you know in some cases, but nowadays they can do things so much easier through the Internet and stuff like that, but we were literally at the mercy of just poking satellite time they would call it be in a truck, or you'd be in a location you would have to call, you know, a number in New York, and you know, book the time. I need, you know, an hour of time or a half hour of time to get all this material, you know, fed back to the station. So somebody had to be back at all of our TV stations in Tucson, I'm sure, all that all night long, basically recording material that wouldn't physically be back in Tucson probably until the next day in the afternoon, so we had to try to get it back as soon as we could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was funny because that next day I stayed up to about five or six. I know, Dave Petrush goes with me. Peter Madrid was here Corky obviously, and so we're, you know, a team doing these things. And I stayed, like you say, midnight, one o'clock. I remember being with Lut late into the night because I wanted to get different stuff than everybody else had. And my lasting memory of that night was Lut talking to a reporter in the hallway and I don't know who remember who the reporter was. But Bobby off to the side talking to George Khalil and me waiting for him one last moment and he loot seeing Bobby, I don't know, maybe aout twenty one yards away saying bababe, I'll be right with you, and he says, she says, you know, and in her funny way says, lude, I've been waiting for you for forty one years and another twenty minutes when we'll kill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that relationship was awesome and they, you know, they they enjoyed that moment because that was really the only time he had a chance to celebrate it, you know, a national championship and all that went with that and all the you know, craziness before those years and then you know, some of the sad things obviously that happened personally to them and professionally in the next coming years. But that was a great moment for for us. I know, it's you know, it's professionals to cover something, you know, of that magnitude. For me, it was, you know, one of the highlights. Everyone asked me, you know, what were the top things you covered? And that's usually you know, one or two for me in all those years, so it was it was a great time.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, No, it was a wild ride, right and then guess what next year they had a better chance in winning the thing, and they didn't.
Speaker 2: And we were so prepared the next year because we weren't prepared that first year, right, you know, and the next year we're standing out. You're like, you guys, I mean the newspaper would always send you know, a handful of people, but we've rarely sent more than maybe one reporter, maybe maybe two photographers. One of them would run that satellite truck I was just talking about. But the next year is like, oh, let's send out, you know, one of the anchors and Dave and two or I mean it was five.
Speaker 1: And it was nearby, and it was nearby because.
Speaker 2: Anaheim went to where was the first round that year?
Speaker 1: You remember god Secrament, you know the year before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but anyway, it was, you know, the Anaheim trip. I think we all drove, you know, we little caravan and gun people drive it out there, maybe cheap, go and get the hotels. What you mean you need like three hotel rooms. That was always a problem in those years. But because we weren't prepared, you guys, well, we were used to were going out with you know, five or six, but it was it was a different time. And now you know, I'm watching I hate to, you know, downplay it, but I'm watching the coverage the other night after the last game, and there's one TV station there from Tucson. Everybody else you know.
Speaker 1: It on TV station Bruce and maybe a couple of the internet guys.
Speaker 2: Yep, amazing, amazing. You know, I was. I was upset. There was a year or so before I left where we didn't go and it was upsetting. You know, you walk out into the newsroom and you look up and you see these TV stations. You're the only ones that's not in you know, whatever city.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: Sure, that was frustrating, But nowadays it's kind of like, well, you know, Channel thirteen went and that's about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't think they went to the first round. Maybe there's like.
Speaker 2: It's like a pick and choose how much I watch now days it.
Speaker 1: Was a pick and choose, you know, you go one day or one weekend or not the other. Luckily I had a chance to go to Seattle, but I didn't. I didn't want to go to New Jersey because I just if they lost one game, it's what the hell am I spinning this money for just to come right back. It's a long ways and same thing could have happened in Seattle, but I just chose not to go.
Speaker 2: It remind me of the year that I went to d C and they lost that one game. Oh yeah, yeah, Kevin O'Neills, the West Virginia game. Yeah, and that was a lot. And it was a late game too, so it was a you know, a game. It didn't even start till I don't know, ten o'clock eastern. You know, we're sitting out there and they.
Speaker 1: Want it was I went too many those losses, I know, But the.
Speaker 2: Fact that it was not like, you know, you couldn't have put them on it earlier. You know, Oh they're a West Coast team, we'll put them on late. So you know, it was a it was a late start and at a late night and early morning flight to get home.
Speaker 1: M you know, the good old days and story of media and covering, you know, because again you know, as we sit there and we get we approach selection Sunday, it's a it's a crapshoot.
Speaker 2: You have no idea where you're going to wind up going in most cases, right, I mean sometimes you kind of had an inkling where you're gonna wind up but couldn't really prepare. You couldn't really make plane reservations or anything like that, and so all of a sudden you're forking out money for a trip, you know, two or three days late, short week.
Speaker 1: Well for me, it would have been a two thousand dollars by myself, right a hotel getting their food, blah blah blah. And that's like for you guys, who would have been six thousand if you sent three at least, Oh yeah, at least because you know, you got to eat, gotta eat, you do. Yeah, they got to.
Speaker 2: Part part of the part of the part of the process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So let me talk a ross in about ten minutes, and then at the hour for seventeen hour, we're going to talk to Chuck Culpepper, a buddy of mine. Obviously he's been on the show a few times. Very insightful, bright guy Brooks for the Washington Post who covers college basketball for the paper, and as he gets ready for the Final Four, so just his thoughts on all this on the transfer portal, we can't ignore that.
Speaker 2: There's so many stories. I mean, you know, it really is a shame that the portal opened up when it did, and they couldn't have waited another week or so. I don't know, it's taken away a lot of the coverage I think. I mean, all I'm hearing about at least these first couple of days. I'm sure it's going to pick up is the portal. And you know, no one's talking yet about the final four, which I'm you know will happen on Friday, basically day size, right, and.
Speaker 1: Everybody's everybody's talking about the portal, every school with the same concerns. Oh, it's it's farce. It's going to change. It's been doing that for a while. And no one's going to change college, but it's already been changing it for a while. You don't know until it affects you, right, And Arizona's been affected pretty heavily this year. I mean in past years too, but this is you know, they're really feeling, Oh god, we had a good guy, a couple of guys kJ and Henry and who knows anybody else coming on.
Speaker 2: If you lose tow your starters and you got to you know, one guy's finished eligibility.
Speaker 1: I mean, your team is going to be turned around again next year. Here's the issue. I'm gonna give you five things. If I can come up with five things, okay, because you I think you asked me. We're talking about money, the reasons why money, playing time, discontent, I'll stop there. Three, well, four, coaching, you can add whatever else the other where? Do you think it could be all of them? Could be one of them? But everyone talks about money right. People were transferring, not even when there was no money of all, people were transferring.
Speaker 2: The we're still transferring. But now the nil situation when they're talking two to three million dollars the player now and it's going up, you know, And if you're just sitting there, you know.
Speaker 1: Who in the right, let me ask you something in your previous capacity to this, to this, you're no pay job. How difficult was it to get two and a half million dollars from a donor?
Speaker 2: It was impossible. It was hard. I mean they had to really know what they're getting for their money too. And next thing, you know, you give somebody two million dollars like and then they transfer the next year.
Speaker 1: That's my point I mean, how if you're out going, how difficult? Says, well, you know, we got this guard. When he's a heck of a good player, he's gonna get us. How is it gonna cost me?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Two point two?
Speaker 2: What? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then for how long? Well, just for this year.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be interesting. I've been talking to some people on campus just in general about it, and the whole nil situation everywhere is going to be kind of changing here this summer. So we need to kind of keep abreast of that, and we'll talk to some folks who are going to be part of that, you know, maybe by July, actually July first, when the fiscal year swings on campus. How that money is going to be spent? Like, say, you want to give you know, a million bucks to the nil and don't specify it to a particular player. I don't know if that's gonna be the way it's going to work. Just here's our nil pot of money. Just take it and I'll throw it in there, and you guys use it however you want. So it's going to be interesting to see how that plays out. It's gonna change.
Speaker 1: In addition to the twenty million dollars, twenty three million or whatever. Just that's going to be decided here pretty soon too. And that's that's going to happen. That's not that's beyond the nil. Yes, or in a subsidiary of it. Yes, man, to be an athlete these days.
Speaker 2: I know, and get the money so early in your life. You know, you could be eighteen years old, seventeen years old, next thing, you know, you've got your kind of set for life, well, well set.
Speaker 1: For a while. Hell I had that money, I would go away, I'd be set for life. I'd be investing a little bit. Dave, You'd never know who I was. I've gone, I'm out of here. But that's just the way of the world, which makes crazy crazy no sense, but perfect sense. I mean, I'm sure that back in the day, the abandons and the people who were fighting for this way back didn't envision this.
Speaker 2: No, no, I mean you know they wanted money for sure, Like sure, I think that was the main their jerseys were being and that's what it should be. Games where you know, they're on video games and things like that. Yeah, you're right, of course, Dave. I want you to sell me some corn dogs. You don't want to say we sell me some cars, tell me you know I'm not gonna give you the money before you sell me some cars. It's the way it works. It's it's been a system that I think everybody was We were aware that there was money being exchanged different ways. Now it's pretty much the way everybody gets it and the way it works. And you're gonna get an opportunity to play and then make some money and maybe pick where you want to play at least for a couple of years. You could be like Kurk Creasy. You could go every year, change change schools. James, can one person transfer? Apparently a bunch just take a break. Now we're gonna get ahold of mister Rosborough, Coach Rosboro, and then come back and talk about the good old days.
Speaker 1: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy.
Speaker 4: And excitement From the latest slots in table games to a war wedding dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 1: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 5: Discover with Soul, Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 1: Are you ready enterprise?
Speaker 6: So Fasco Yuki, try the window depot has everything you need to create the kitchener bathroom of your dreams. Frowsyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Mondy to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot Com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 7: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 3: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 7: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 2: I'm twenty second just west of will Not.
Speaker 9: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you. In twenty twenty four. Recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 5: Finance Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit volteteam dot com. That's Volpe Team or call five too oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three h eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lyndrixon credit grates and avaiable loan programs of subject to change with unt notice.
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 10: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at a chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, We've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases. Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 9: Richard bacall Law Office defending arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five to two oh seven to four to roh twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 4: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Zona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to Azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Why is mining so important?
Speaker 11: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown, and modernized based solely on the mineral's eighth process. That's why mining is so important.
Speaker 1: Godibchyvm dot com.
Speaker 6: The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and opera business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware and sinks, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step.
Speaker 2: Of the way, all under one roof.
Speaker 6: Find a location near you our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 12: This is I on the Ball. I'm Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show? Call up Steve now went five to two oh four, one, six seventy four forty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to my in the ball Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in with me. Today's Dave Silver. Now on the phone, we have Jim Rosborough, the assistant coach at Pima Women's the women's basketball team. Jim, how are you?
Speaker 2: Is he not? What the should.
Speaker 1: Jim? Are you there? Oh, he's gonna have to call us back. Some difficulties with the phone. Yeah, but you had them on the.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and talk, David, looking forward to hearing from Jim Rosboro, a longtime loud els An assistant. Was there, of course all those years ago when the Wildcats won that national championship in ninety seven, So that anniversary was just yesterday, So it's always a date that you have a basketball fans will remember. Jim was right in the heart of all that Loot's right hand man. And now he's been coaching with the PEMA women's basketball team and they had another great season, got all the way to the national championship game and junior college hoops. So he's been a success everywhere he's been. We're trying to reach him again, so hopefully he'll join us here in a couple of minutes or so.
Speaker 1: US I give you the number. I just texted it.
Speaker 2: All right, he's gonna call us the joy of Live Radio Live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something'll know with the with the system today as we got on and then now we're having issues, so we'll just keep an eye on that phone. Oh yeah, no, no, no issues. Did you get in sleep that night? I probably got too, I remember, but I don't think I did. I can't remember when we flew home. Probably not. Okay, there back in the phone. Are you on here, Jim?
Speaker 6: I still get excited when I hear one of my songs playing in the radio.
Speaker 1: Thank you, iHeart radio.
Speaker 2: No I did.
Speaker 1: Is young Airba?
Speaker 2: I wasn't.
Speaker 13: I was the number here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on? A wee on? We're not blinking right, we're good, okay, cool. I want to get him on. I got to get him on. Got to get him on. I don't know why the phones are acting back there, and it's right because he's getting through right, we're not on a different channel. Okay. I don't want to have him on my phone with the with the phone on the microphone right on the this this silence is killing me. Science is it working? Nine one? I'll have him call again. Oh yeah, yeah, we're here. Good good. You're on.
Speaker 13: Thanks, Hey, Jim, how are you good?
Speaker 1: We'll finally finally got the spone situation figured out. Hey, we wanted to talk. I wanted to talk to you, David and I Dave Silver here next to me about the good old days and the night yesterday was the twenty eight year anniversary. Obviously, Uh, what do you can what can you tell me about the after after you you win the thing? It's already April first. Did you get any sleep before you left?
Speaker 13: I don't know, see if you were, David, get out a very small party in the whole lobby of the hotel where we were staying, the Railroad carp Yeah, yeah, yeah. Two, the lobby wasn't small. Three there were hundreds and hundreds of people there, three or four. Nobody was exactly drinking Coca cola or sprite. So it was a heck of a party, big time. One thing that I do remember that night, it's a personal note, but Luke said, Jim, I want to talk to him, and it took me back in some there and named me as associate head coach. That night.
Speaker 1: I remember that.
Speaker 13: I remember, uh, you know, I've kind of been doing a lot of stuff anyway, but to have that little bit of an extra bump title was was nice. So it was a huge celebration. Kids were, you know, our kids along with some of the olden kids were out cruising around, going to McDonald's. You know, nobody were worried about the kids. But it was really a great night and a lot of fun and seeing people. And you've won a national title and you guys are both finding out it's harder than heck to do it for use, So that was quite a celebration.
Speaker 2: I remember too, just the casualness. Do you guys remember that the hotel was like across the street from the arena and the players were supposed to take a bus if I remember to go over and they're like, we can just walk. I remember seeing I don't know if Jim this is true, but I thought, I do remember seeing some guys just like walking across the street with their uniforms on, or just going over there to the shoot arounds or whatever it was. It was such a you know, different approach everybody else, so you know, kind of all wired. Here's you know, the u of a maybe not expected to be there having a good time.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it was that way. Now we got back to the hotel and then we had to go over there for the Sears Cup presentation or something. So we went back somewhere and I think a lot of the kids did walk, but it was very close. We were really, really handy. Now, we did ride a bus over to the title game, but again it was about a three minute ride, so that was kind of a casual, casual approach. I'd agree with you there.
Speaker 1: Did you know did you know in that bus ride to the to the game? What was the mood? Did you know that they were ready? That they were, you know, just geared up.
Speaker 13: There's if you know you're ready for We had our pregame meal, which is four hours before the game, and I said to my perimeter guys, I said, okay, go up to my room and watch a little bit of film now, just we have some time. Miles Simon up, Nope, don't want to go. No, we were ready. I mean he was geared up, ready to go at that time. Well he finally did come in and sit down and watch a little film begrudgingly, but they were you could feel it. It was it was in the air. So pregame meal and then on and just at that point, you just couldn't wait to play, And I know that was the same for the kids, just couldn't couldn't wait to get on the court and play, and they knew what was at stake, and I think handled everything really really well.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming you had the scout.
Speaker 13: Here's me.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming you had the scout of that game.
Speaker 13: I did. I did have the scout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what were they like? What were the top two things that you said, Okay, this has to happen, and this has to happen with them.
Speaker 13: Well, one, technically, we had to handle their press. I believe they were pressing quite a bit, so we had to handle that. Covered that. But then they had this kid Mercer, I believe all American, you have a really great player. And they had some different sets that they were running for him specifically, So we spent a good deal of time on and someday at the practice of going over how we were going to handle this particular set. And there were maybe a couple of variations of it that they were running for him, so we had to be sure we had those down. And then you know, you needed to know the person or what their tendencies were to some degree. So I thought we handled all those pretty well, but particularly trying to get Mercer under control. That was one of the real.
Speaker 2: Keys, you know, even all those years ago, Like what was a technology like in terms of you know, getting information in film. You know, I assume you had some going into that weekend, but not knowing really until the day before or so the game that you really had the concentrations on Kentucky just for that one night.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, you know, now we had actually it was my son and a couple other guys were our video managers, so we had quite a quite a storage backup film to get to. That wasn't so bad. Maybe the equipment then, you know, it was the old vhs and it was a little archaic compared to now. But we were able to get on stuff right away, and so that was that was key. And again you're in a quick obviously you've done some film work before. Uh that game. I mean we it was my scout, so I knew I didn't have the game before, so I could spend a little bit of time on Kentucky. So we knew what was coming. But it wasn't It wasn't like today, I'll say that for sure, But we were we were pretty well prepared and had a lot of film. I'm going to guess on each of the films, each of the teams and the you know, maybe the last sixteen we probably had three or four or five tapes on games because we were constantly taping games. So we weren't we weren't way out of it them.
Speaker 1: So now that we can talk about it almost thirty years later, how we all know Michael Bibbi, right, we all know we've watched them throughout the years. Now he's going to be a coach of Sacramento State, But how really in retrospect was he ready for this and and how much did he step up? Because he played beyond his years.
Speaker 13: Yet way way away beyond his years. I've kind of read some things recently and he's been a little bit more on social media and seeing everything. I mean, he was a very you guys were there. He was a very fool cucumber. He'd been well prepared. He was a basketball kid all his life. His whole goal was to get into the NBA, and his family and his mother and everybody had worked hard to make it possible for him. And then he came in with us for two years and the goal was to be with the best coach available and try to get into the league. But I don't know if you can be totally prepared for the moment. But he was really ready, handled everything well, and I do think, to be honest with you, you'd probably have to give Miles a little bit of credit to Miles was a third year kid, he'd been through a lot. He was a good leader, and I think Miles probably had a good effect on on Mike. And we had four good perimeter guys, you know, with Jason Terry coming in, who was a good player, and so everything didn't fall on Mike. There were people there around to help him. But he handled everything well, press getting the ball in bounds, you know, everything, and shot the ball well. In fact, the guys will tell you that if you really study the film on the last basket at the end of regulation, try to win it. Miles took us to leave and tried to shot and Mike Bibby was open over in the corner. And they still say Miles should have passed the Bibby. Now I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I thought that's asking a lot. In fact that Jim, I don't know if you want to agree with me and Dave. I thought it had all things apples and apples. Bibby could have easily been the MLP two Yeah.
Speaker 13: No question, freshman point guard and you know how critical that term is. Point guard. A lot of communication with with coach and really a good team. So yeah, he could have been the MP no question.
Speaker 2: What does it say to you to the fact that these guys have all kind of gone into the coaching business too, Did you think that would happen when you see Jason Terry coming in, you know, seventeen or eighteen years old or Bibe that they would eventually be coaches or assistant coaches? And Miles also, I mean it's quite a legacy just in the backcourt me.
Speaker 13: No, squirrely little guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they become coaches.
Speaker 13: Well, you know you guys again, you were both there. Practices were technical. You guys think you could be there a little bit more practices, a lot of teaching going on. They were in a good system. I mean, I've said this a million times and we don't need to belabor this, but Rudelson was a heck of a practice coach. He was a great game coach, but his practices were phenomenal. The kids never got into games and were unprepared on certain things that the opponents were going to run. So all these guys that are coaching were exposed to really good things. Again, on a personal note, I had a squirrely little guy attached to my for three years that I could never get in the film room without him, that being the guy that U n LB.
Speaker 2: Now, yes, yes, oh, they they were.
Speaker 13: Exposed to some good stuff. And if they were mindful and maybe thought about it someday, they certainly were in a place where they got great, great backgrounds to be really good coaches, you know, if they paid attention.
Speaker 2: So Josh was already coach. Josh was already a coach when he was here, right, Yeah, he was an unpaid coach.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you to and the interesting that was in his own mind.
Speaker 13: That was in his own mind, well okay.
Speaker 1: Sorry, so you know what too. And no disrespect to Michael d because he was fantastic during the year and and and in doing what he did without Miles right when because Miles was out, Uh that you did this run in the postseason without him really playing?
Speaker 13: Really well, yeah, that's that's truly true. Now, you know, I think we were to go back and watch. Defensively, he was quick as a cat, as you guys know, and I'm sure he was doing inadequate job defensively. We didn't have time to go back and review past games because you're moving on. But I'm sure defensively is okay. He just didn't shoot it well and maybe he wasn't aggressive as he'd been. And I know, I'm just certain, I'm just guessing. I think he still is a little bit disappointed in that particular aspect of what went on. But yeah, now Jason Terrys, you know, up a couple of couple of games in before the final four. I mean, if it wasn't for Jason Terry, we would have been long gone. So yeah, we were lucky that we had Jason is our sixth man, and when Michael wasn't playing well, he was right in there and did a heck of a job. So we were lucky to have the group of seven or eight top guys we had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no question, And when you talk about you know, you became the associate after that and and you reminisce about it, it is it twenty eight years? Does it feel that long? And do you still reminisce about that great time.
Speaker 13: I'm reminisce about it a lot. But unfortunately, when you wake up in the morning and try to get out of bed at this stage, Steve, it's a little bit harder than it feels like twenty eight years later. No, you talk about it in the course. Josh is probably my best friend in the associated with basketball, and we talk about it quite a bit, and the guys are proud of it. They had a big text chain yesterday and everybody was responding and excited and that we'll never do again. I think Steve, you joined us, maybe even in the huddle at the or what was that game several years ago where everybody was down on the floor and we put our hands in and some wise guys said it'll never be done again. Then it won't right, he's going down. That's not going to happen again. So that's something that'll be with these kids forever, and they're really proud of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no question.
Speaker 2: So now this part of your basketball coaching career has taking you to a different situation. Can you maybe explain how this has gone for you and just the excitement level and still being involved, especially at high level and getting back to the championship championship level.
Speaker 13: Now, yeah, well it's really been good. I like Todd, and I knew Todd to some degree before I went out there, but he asked me out eleven years ago now just to come out and put in the one three one zone, which he knew he'd used. So I stayed around a little bit more and did some shooting with the kids, and then at the end of that first year, he asked me if i'd want to join him. So I've been with him now that again, this is my eleventh year. It's really really been rewarding. I really really like working with the young ladies and we've really done I think it was even in the taper the other day. Won over one hundred games in the last four years and then culminated and being in the final four and championship game this year more an interesting thing. You know. We won the semi final game I think one hundred and one hundred and fifteen to one hundred and twelve, and we told our best defensive player to play their best offensive player, and what we said is hold her to under fifty four. You only got fifty three. I mean, I've never seen and Steve and Dave. You guys have got Derek Murdoch, I think Michale years ago forty some and Jimmer for debt and calid Rees forty three. I've never seen a shooting exhibition like this girl put on. It was absolutely phenomenal. But we won a really really exciting game and then David All we had in the finals and I think probably I'm based on the game of the night before a little bit tired, but we were in the championship game and it was really a good team that got better during the year and fortunately got a few of those people coming back next year. So really really enjoy it. Really like working with Todd.
Speaker 1: If you want, you can say your age, but I'm sure the women there keep you young. And then you have an audience for your dad jokes and my jokes are still awful.
Speaker 13: Still try the same old ones, and yeah, they they kind of know the age of The interesting thing is they kind of look out for you a little bit.
Speaker 1: Now tracking oh yeah.
Speaker 13: All this time is going one way. They're making sure my bag's in my car and now there they are a good group. Really, we really had a good and it's not only this year. We've had really sensational young ladies out there to work with, so it's been really a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, great stuff, great stuff. Well, Jim, thanks a bunch for joining us. We wanted to talk about the good old days, and thank you.
Speaker 13: They're always good old days, even day.
Speaker 1: Thanks all right, Thanks, I'm Jim Rosborough, one of the great guys in this town. Definitely let's take a break for a little over, but no problem with that. We'll come back.
Speaker 14: Hey, Wildcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I got to tell you about my winning team over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no copays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the Exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four ah three five five one four four four four ah three five five one four.
Speaker 9: Four four to your goal a new career or career advancement, how about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PMA dot edu. Slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 1: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Tampble or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 7: Where do you exercise equipment? Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 7: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 8: On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 3: Craving, Tucson's Best Burger, the Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 12: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 15: We believe less is more. Let's peace means more money in your pocket, less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union where less is more federally insured by NCUA, an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 12: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to about here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty mci Rivera, your Dave Silver, your Kobe. That was fun.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: I could go another half hour to tell you like that.
Speaker 2: He's great. He was always always kind of the go to guy when when you couldn't get the head coach, you go to go to Rose and he'd give you what you needed.
Speaker 1: Right right. That's what made him so good, so good with what he did. And it was it was unless you knew where Loot was gonna be, you could get him, you know, because he was always doing something. Yeah, and he says, and especially when he was retired, you know, when he's finally retired and and it was after his issues, I'm more busy now than when I was coaching, because everybody wanted a piece of them.
Speaker 2: But it's you know, the transition that Rossborough is made to go from you know, high high level of Division one men's basketball to junior college women's You know, it's a it's a big drop off, but it's great that he's had an influence on these these women for all these years.
Speaker 1: If you want David, eventually you're gonna thank me because you're retired now and when the more people want you, you're gonna say, you know what, yeah, because you're gonna be home with the clickers changing channels. And I wish I was back on that radio show that you know what I'm saying. But for Ross, you know, he's older. He says, we all forget our stuff too, you know, Yeah, you got your key's wallet, like for me, like phone key's wallet. Yeah, Folky's well, uh, for him, he's that guy.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 1: The one thing that I thought Josh and I think the world of Josh, that I thought he'd made a mistake and then who knows if his career will take off now, you know, is he didn't have He didn't have Ros by his side to be that mentor to help him coach. Does that make sense he didn't I don't know if he had that guy, but he didn't have Ross, and they were close, and I think he would have been able to help guide him to a better career than he's had so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you were, you were around it closer than I was. But when he was here Josh as an assistant, and then he goes to Memphis with Caliparia and you know, maybe he didn't get the leadership like you're talking about. Maybe Lout would have given him, or Ross would have given him, but calib PARTI maybe didn't.
Speaker 1: And then he was thrust into that spotlight real quick. Yeah, not that she did. He didn't want it, right, because you want you want that, sure, that's why you go there. But he didn't have that right hand man that Lout had, and Lut was better, a better coach. I'll say this bluntly with Roz next to him, because when after Roz left, it was kind of like he's just hanging out. You don't say it wasn't a better time.
Speaker 2: Weren't too many more years of success, right? But yeah, you're right, Josh, I think could have You know, we could ask him someday, you know who was his you know, coaching mentor you know, he always talked glowingly about his U of a days, But I'm not sure how much it was back and forth between you know, the U of A helping him out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he learned from some of the best and obviously that's why he did it. There's one thing about Josh and he and I have been communicating the last few days after he got to you know, b John, he's he's a smart dude. He knows exactly what he's up to right what he's doing. And he Luke appreciated him like no other because he did a lot for that team, taking after hours shooting and shooting and opening the gym, shooting and shooting and shooting, and he was good what he did.
Speaker 2: And I think a couple of people, I think even last week were sort of just say, you know, it's UNLV. It's not like he used to be. But I still think that's a pretty good spot.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: No matter what they're going to be in the whatever league, they're in the Mountain West or they who knows where they're gonna wind up, there's still a marquee team and one of the most famous cities of the world, and there's dreams are going to be on TV with the history. Were they great history or an interesting history? At least you know you're the un LV coach. You know you've got a chance and you're gonna get players to come there. I would think he's a great recruiter.
Speaker 1: It would appear that they have nil money, right of course, that said, you know we talk about this NLI and transfer. I don't know. This is a dum dumbest that one your what do we got here? Things are just popping up? Okay, good?
Speaker 9: Good?
Speaker 1: Uh so so we know how important nil is, right and how number ones have got to the fund? Do you think that a school could we got a call? Oh, we got to call hold that thought? Okay, thought, Hello, you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 2: Who's this?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 16: Hey Steve Howard, mister Silver? Hello, Yeah, how you guys doing how Yeah?
Speaker 13: That was great.
Speaker 16: That was the funny thing at the end when Rosboro said, yeah, they helped me out to get my bags on the glass and things like that. That was really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah, but come on, Steve, even even mister Silver, we're all young compared to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So let me ask you, Howard, because you talked to us last time and you guys were all giddy, you and Ray and all that, But those sons doesn't look so good.
Speaker 16: I'll forget it, Okay, I'll say something about the Suns bad stuff. Okay, Uh, the coach sucks first of all. And and the reason why b Hyu is so good, why is it? I'll say something good about the former Son The coach was the was the main assistant coach of the former regime with the Sons. That's why b Yu so good period? Is that coach?
Speaker 13: Okay, he coached from the Suns.
Speaker 1: They've had issues with their coaches for a while now.
Speaker 16: Well, I know, but this guy is good because he's just he's got that the NBA background. It's really and he's good because of that former Sons coach. That's why Bu is going to be really good. And I gotta always I always forget that he's there. I always forget he's their coach. So anyway, the other thing I loved when we won, when that that that good rebound.
Speaker 13: Our team uh fruffled the loot's.
Speaker 2: Hair up, Ben Davis. Kevin Young is a coach you're talking about who is an assistant right.
Speaker 16: Kevin mister Young? Yeah, Kevin Yeah, the kid. Anyway, the other thing, I'm not gonna do it because they lose. I didn't watch the first two U of A games this year. But of course why I watched Duke game because the main thing I expected us to win both those games. And even even even Jay was saying that. Jay was saying, yeah, we're gonna get up against Stuke. We were looking a little bit ahead, right. And anyway, the one thing I like about not having Jay, we don't have to talk as much about you of a football, no Dodgers and no Dodge.
Speaker 1: I'll let him know, let them know.
Speaker 13: Yeah, okay, well if he's not listening, guys, we'll talk to you.
Speaker 1: How Dodgers might not lose a game. Yeah, I hold that thought. I was talking to you about hold that.
Speaker 2: Thought, Josh, Vegas UNLV and having success there.
Speaker 1: Having success there. Yeah, no, it'll come back to me maybe No.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, Vegas is Vegas, and they're going to get major League Baseball. They're you know, they're getting every sport. And for a while there it was basically UNLV basketball was like major their major events.
Speaker 1: You and I have you've been with me when we had joshun Yeah, a couple of times, right, And because yeah, you guys have talked and I said, do you remember me asked saying that, Josh, why coach anymore? You got a good gig with ESPN, you got a good life. No one's harassing you on the sidelines. You know what I'm saying. There's no pressure, And this is what he wants, this is what he loves to do, this is what he's built board.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, he had a couple of good runs at Georgia Tech and at at Memphis, and he wants to, you know, be a successful coach. And he's still driven. He's not he's even fifty. I don't think he's fifty. No, he's like forty seven. So he's you know, he's got time to go back to TV. Yeah, and he's always going to be good at that. Yeah, So you know, if this doesn't work out, you know, get them go back to one of the major networks again. He had a pretty good, pretty good chance to show his skills there.
Speaker 1: Right right, I don't know. Yeah, No, he's good at that too. Anybody want to call get in. We get about eight minutes.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of those guys go to television and kind of rehab their careers. I mean, even like Seth Greenberg has been there now for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he'll never coach again, though, you don't think so. Tom Crean, Tom Crean, same thing. They're there, they've lasted this long and if they haven't been hired shortly after their TV they're they're pretty much done because who's gonna who's gonna do that? Yeah, and then now you have the recent young kids coming up, the younger kids, and I consider Tommy that guy too. You have these younger guys on their assistant, the by the b YU guy, there's they're all over the new up and coming people. The guy at Florida Golden Oh, and he would he looked just stistical a couple of years. He looked like he was twelve. Yeah, he's still in early forties. Sometimes I'm guessing, Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those some of those coaches, I mean, even John Shire do because you know, he's destiny to be there twenty years if he wants to stick around.
Speaker 1: They're all over the place, and it's it's the Iszzo's, it's themselves, it's the Barns and that. Are they going to deal with this NL stuff any longer?
Speaker 2: I know, because we've seen kind of these football coaches have kind of stepped away because of that. So I don't know about basketball. I mean Miami Tony Bennett, Miami guy. Uh yeah, but he was up there in years.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, this is one of the reasons give you the hell out this ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, some of these coaches that have been around, they're probably just looking around today going what's my team going to look like in five months?
Speaker 1: Look at it? Yeah, Indiana, but look at her.
Speaker 2: Arizona's doing the same thing. And every time you go on these you know, there's some of these Twitter sites and places like that that are just posting one after another after another.
Speaker 1: So this is what I was talking about. Okay, so nil, this is the reminder. Yeah, so nil. Everybody has it, wants it, needs it, blah blah blah. What if you think a team could not deal with nil and be all good to be good at it, be good, be good without it, good players? Yeah, probably not, not not anymore in thinking that that's probably true. They did it five years ago. But now it's the way the world right now.
Speaker 2: The money is there and it's available and it's open and it's.
Speaker 1: I don't know, that was a stupid statement, but let me say this too, because Tommy is this is what Tommy's is known for, at least to the first four years. You get this players, develop them right, develop them to be good team. But then guess what, somebody that gets the benefits some other school gets it.
Speaker 2: Be sorry true and uh you know, I mean he didn't didn't work out maybe as most fans hope with Townsend, but that was kind of what happened there. He's at Oakland for all those years and he has one more year to go and come to Arizona and you get it. You know, they got sweet sixteen. That's about it, right. I don't know. I think they need to step up their grad transfers. I think I don't know, not to pick on them, but you know they could do better.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing yeah, I thought, though, you think those guys would have been better because of what they accomplished in the postseason. He just didn't fit. Even before the season started, I talked to one of the coaches and I texted them and saying that I really like this team because it looks like the pieces fit. This could have been November or whatever, right and maybe after Red Blue I can't remember, and I said they just Townsend was hitting threes O case you solved that problem. He's a big body. Awakia was who what he was. He didn't disappoint I don't think no, but everything seemed to fit and then it didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and you know, you just don't really know what you're getting. You haven't watched them for you know, four years, and you're just kind of hoping that, oh, well, you know, a guy can transfer from you know, maybe a mid major and just move right into the Big twelve, which we saw how good it was, was much better than the Pac twelve.
Speaker 1: And that's the way the world's going to be, because where where would you recruit the kids that you're playing, that you're gonna play with they're not gonna tray for to Saint John's here maybe if you give a lot of money, but you find him at the lower levels.
Speaker 2: Right and in Asia and Europe, And if Tommy's going to continue to bring in guys from Estonia and places like that, that's you know, maybe that's going to be the The card that he plays at Arizona sounds like he's obviously he has connections there, so maybe there'll be another to Bellus or.
Speaker 1: Well that's his bread and butter. That's his bread and butter. Yeah, and I just hope that they stay.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 1: Stefan could have probably made waves here in the year or two, but you don't. They don't think about year or two.
Speaker 2: No, And it was hard as I mean, he was only out there for a few minutes really the entire season, so he was very, very raw. And you know, I think Tommy he's brought in some people who are pretty skilled from around the from around the world, so I would not be surprised if a couple more come in this next year.
Speaker 1: It's got that's the way he's played it so far. Yeah, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: You know, they're looking at all these transfers, great transfers amongst the American schools. Meantime, Tommy's got you know, five guys lined up in you know, Eastern Europe that he thinks that might have a chance to play here.
Speaker 1: And with the hope that they blend in and do what they do. Let me ask you. So we saw them go to the Sweet sixteens. First year lust to Houston. Uh, second year was Princeton. They lost their last year Clemson, and this year Sweet sixteen yees. The careers path Okay, you think for you that's tough. And then what do you think about the fans. The fans are never going to be happy. I don't think they want to. They want to, they want more.
Speaker 2: And we've sat here and you know, talking to coach Rosboro about it hasn't happened for a long time. I think everybody's kind of frustrated about that. So I just think it's just a matter of time. I would hope that if he's just getting good players, they do somehow.
Speaker 1: Well he talks about he talks about.
Speaker 2: Get into a higher seed than a four seed and not have to play Duke right off the.
Speaker 1: Well they get seed last last yeah, yeah, yeah, we're there two or three yeah, two, and then the two against the Princeton right yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, So that was that was a fluke. I mean, you know, it doesn't happen pretty often.
Speaker 1: Everyone happened. It happens all hell breaks loose in general.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, what else, what else do you want? I mean, you know, he's getting into the These teams are always in the top twenty basically, and then you're gonna be a top four seeds.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to you, the fan, Dave, not you the pragmatic guy. Okay, we got to go with that.
Speaker 2: I'll think about it during the commercial break.
Speaker 1: Well, come back, you got breaking news for