Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Reality TV Bridge. I am one of your hosts, deal and I'm here with my real tight homegirl and my daughter in law, the beloved Beetrice.
Speaker 2: That's me.
Speaker 1: We are here to talk sister wives, honey, and specifically to talk about the catfish.
Speaker 2: We're finally here.
Speaker 1: I think we've been talking about the catfish since we've started our podcast. I think we've been doing this podcast for what four or five years?
Speaker 2: I think it's like four and a half at this point.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I know we've been doing this forever, but like we've been talking about it from the very beginning, we're finally here, Beatrice.
Speaker 2: We made it.
Speaker 1: We did make it. Before we get into this reecap, we do have to issue you a disclaimer though, please how'd your wife looks good? Room in the class. We're in a reverend podcast. Obviously, we say stupid things. We make a lot of jokes. Nothing is to be taken seriously, and so live yourself. Get out here, William. You might want to find yourself another dumpster. But if you're ready to have Caleb ask Cody for Maddy's hand in grooming marriage, then welcome to this dumpster.
Speaker 2: And if you like what we do over here, please be sure to follow us on the Instagram at reality tv crnch and join us on Patreon, patron dot com, sosh, reality tv Cringe. The VIP dumpster is where it's at. Honestly, you get all of our weekly episodes ad free, plus bonus content.
Speaker 1: What Morgan you was so much content?
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: Now, if you are watching on YouTube, please don't forget to like and comment and share, a subscribe, and also hype your girls up. We are working for this money and we are working for the hypes. Every little thing you do helps us send the algorith ball allegedly allegedly, and so thank you in advance.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Hey, do you have to warn you? I'm on one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: I'm like energy is all over the place. I'm excited, I'm very tired. I'm about to be drinking. This could get very wild, my debt.
Speaker 2: They will.
Speaker 1: So before we get into the recap, I have to ask you, Beatrice, did you have any takeaways on this the final episode of season nine.
Speaker 2: Well, I've seen this episode before, but it's been a minute and so rewatching it again, I can't get over how they like edited the catfish conversation because like when the adults are talking in Alaska, Mary's just like, I don't know what I want to do, so I'm gonna leave. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna do something, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is. But she's not saying, hey, I was having phone sex.
Speaker 1: I was having an actual emotional affair with a guy who turned out to.
Speaker 2: A woman a woman like, she's not saying that, but then to the camera she's airing out all of the catfish drama.
Speaker 1: But even then she's skirting around things. She's not just coming out plainly and talking about what happened. It was really annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, super annoying.
Speaker 1: Well, my takeaway is that I think this is a very nuanced situation because Mary was really annoying me with the way that she was communicating or not communicating. But at the same time, I had a lot of sympathy and compassion for her because of what she has been through in her relationship with Cody. So there's just a lot going on. Yeah, I was feeling a lot. Me too.
Speaker 2: Actually, I feel like it's gonna be a very interesting discussion today me too.
Speaker 1: So without further ado, let's get into our recap of Sister Wives Season nine, episode twelve.
Speaker 2: Twelve, twelve twelve and tot Mary Catfish. She got gone by the internet, and I've got some shit to say about that when we get to that, because I mean, you got a stupid a little bit.
Speaker 1: But oh yeah, it's fine, she admits it.
Speaker 2: Actually she does a little bit. But we resume the last half of the Alaska vacation. It's like the fifth day or whatever in Alaska. Everybody in the family is like, this is the best most fun vacation we've ever had in our lives. Like everyone's super happy, especially Cody and Robin, Like everyone's living their best life. We have like a little scene where we have the older kids, Logan, Michelle, Caleb, and Maddie go out to dinner or lunch or whatever together and this was like kind of a nothing burger. They're kind of like talking about their relationships and growing up in polygamy, and Logan does talk a little bit about how being the eldest boy in a polygamist family, everybody just automatically assumes he's going to be a polygamist as well. And actually this is why Michelle didn't pursue him at first, even though she thought he was what she then realized that he doesn't want to be a polygamist. He's a one woman man, and so then she snatched him right up.
Speaker 1: Yep. And then I think both Logan and Maddie asked their partners whether they were nervous to meet the entire family. Were they intimidated by Cody? And Michelle talks about how she loves Cody. He's got such a fun, quirky spirit, and Caleb's like, yeah, he doesn't intimidate me, not at all. Why would he? Yeah, we're the same age.
Speaker 2: Seriously though, it's kind of ridiculous. But I did find it interesting when Maddie was talking about like her dating experience in high school, because she said, you know, for her, she would have boyfriends or whatever, and they would find out she grew up in polygamy, and so then they would just automatically think it was okay for them to date other women while they're dating her, which is whack. But she ultimately found Caleb. He sold me, Oh god, and I'm just like I'm looking at him and I'm like, this dude is like a year younger than me. In this episode, you know, and they don't.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be mean. Well, but he's kind of a schlub. I mean, he's kind of a schlub. And Maddie's eighteen years old, yeah, or like nineteen years old or whatever. She is, Like, she's a young chippy. You can go out into the world. Man, are a diim a dozen? Trust me? Like why are we attracted to Caleb brush? But God bless, yeah, that's your life. I'm glad you're happy. But I mean, it's a little he looks like a character from whovill. He just kind of looks like a Marsupial I don't know. Yeah, yeah, he's like already balding. God bless, God bless. It happens, funny, it does, right, it does.
Speaker 2: But you know whatever. Then we hear from the adults a little bit on the couch talking about Logan and Michelle and Caleb and Maddie. And it's weird the way that they're talking about it, because like Janelle seems a little like worried or concerned about Logan and Michelle and like whether or not they're gonna get married and what their relationship's gonna look like. But when it comes to Maddie, and Caleb. She's like super supportive. Everybody in the family actually is super supportive and really excited about this twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Year old band. Why do you think that is. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was like watching it, thinking like, maybe it's because he was a family he was part of the family before, and so they know that he's not creepy. But then at the same time, I'm like, it's still kind of creepy, like the age difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but is he Mormon as well? I don't really know if that's been established, because we know that Maddie was not accepted into mainstream Mormonism. Yeah, and I'm wondering if Caleb practices. So I'm just wondering if there's some sort of an alignment religiously because he's been around the polygamist structure, he's safe. Yeah, he's a safe person to be around. Maybe.
Speaker 2: I just think it's bizarre and it's actually interesting because Robin's the only one that points out that disparity. On the couch, she says something like, it's weird how we have these two extremes, like we're super careful with Logan and Michelle, but when it comes to Maddie and Caleb were like super gung ho and excited and like already planning their wedding. It's just kind of bizarre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Michelle is an outsider for sure. Yeah, imperatively speaking.
Speaker 2: Maybe they are just distrustful because they don't know her. Yeah, religious extremists or something. It's just bizarre. And then we have the family kind of splitting off into two groups to do some various activities. We have Cody and Janelle and a bunch of the kids going fishing, and then we have Christine and Robin and I think Mary's there, or maybe she's back at the cabin talking to Sam. I don't know. But we have Christine and Robin and some of the other kids going to do dog sledding, and it's kind of cute. I guess, like the fishing trip is fun. I would have rather gone fishing than dog sledding for me, sure.
Speaker 1: Because the fish looked amazing, Oh my god, fresh caught halibe.
Speaker 2: And the salmon hitch. Yes, Oh, I would be eating so good. And it looked like fun. Christine and Robin they're dog sledding and on the couch they're kind of commiserating a little bit, talking shit about how it's really great that Cody's not there at the dog sledding arena because then Cody would see how well behaved the dogs are and want his wives to act well, behave like dogs. And I'm just like, whoa, you guys are telling on yourselves a little bit here. And it was interesting how Robin was like even playing into it. Yeah, and she seems like she's genuine right, Like she seems like she's totally shooting the shit with Christine and laughing and making jokes about how Cody would want to treat them like dogs, and Robin says something like, well, Nick, the guy who holds all of these sled dogs treats them.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's the difference.
Speaker 2: And that's the difference. And I'm like, why is she saying that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was kind of telling. And this is another attempt, I think by Robin to align herself with the other wives and sort of Kiki and say, oh my god, he treats us like dogs. He treats us so badly. But we know, yeah that at this time in the timeline, she's absolutely getting favored and getting everything, So it's not that funny to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's just interesting to me that she feels comfortable making jokes like that that put Cody in a bad light because of her alliance and allegiances to Cody only always like do you think he watches that back and then gets mad at Robin for saying no, I think he understands that she's being tactical. Yikes, that's so diabolical. But yeah, anyway, so everybody goes vision and they do dogs litting and Christine is loud and screaming, and Cody on the cow talks about how Christine can't be quiet at all. That's why she can't go fishing because she's a loud ass bitch.
Speaker 1: She's gonna scare all the fish. We were talking about this last week, how annoying she just.
Speaker 2: Has to scream all the time, Like, just use your inside voice.
Speaker 1: Chill out, it's not that deep.
Speaker 2: So then we returned back home to the little rental, and this is where Caleb actually pulls Cody aside to basically ask permission to marry Maddie and ask for her handed marriage, which we all saw coming. And Cody is giddy and he's like super happy about it, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Just grinning ear to ear. I will say, though, in terms of Caleb and the kind of guy he is. He seemed very sincere. Yes, and when he was talking about his affection for Maddie and how she's his soulmate and he thought he would never find his soulmate, and like he's just loves her so much, Like I could feel that from him. I do think, irrespective of the questionable nature around their meeting and courtship, like, I do think these two people are made for each other. Me too. And he loves her and Maddie loves him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I like the whole old fashioned like guy goes asks the daughter to wait, Guy go ask the daughter, Guy go asks the father right for the daughter's hands.
Speaker 1: The patriarchy, I know for sure, but property.
Speaker 2: I know. But it's cute though, Okay.
Speaker 1: I just think it's cute. Tradwife Beatrice, No, Well, I was thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, man, I should ask you for permission for your daughter's hand in marriage.
Speaker 1: I just went, oh my god, i'd ever gotten drunk. We would have watched rom com. It would have been great. Do you know that my husband actually asked my brother really for his blessing, not permission, because that really is misogynistic but as for my brother's blessing to ask for my hand, and my brother was so enthusiastic about it. But like I just I do like so sweet. I do like that tradition, saying I like a little bit of the old fashioned energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah maybe, like I obviously don't agree with women being of course, but it's like I thought it was sweet, and I think that Caleb is earnest even though you know, it's a little way whenever age limit. Okay, it's weird, but they're married now, they've got kids. It's a moot point at this point. But Cody to the camera has some interesting commentary about marriage after this, and he says something like Caleb is the essence of manhood. And so what I just thought, if Cody's like flamboyantly gay, I thought, are you crushing on Caleb or something like it. He is such a man, Okay, he's a real man. It's weird, it's a little bizarre, strange. But then he talks about how he gives full support because he thinks Caleb's a good guy and you know, the whole family knows him because he was his brother's brother in law or whatever. And then he says marriage is the biggest challenge that anybody can face in their life. And then he says love it sometimes isn't always enough, because one day you can love your partner, but then the next day they're your enemy. And I'm like, ahm into West States, who's.
Speaker 1: Your enemy today? All three of those original wives.
Speaker 2: Ye. And then when they get back inside after the little conversation, this is where Cody and Caleb unpack their fish because they're going to debone them or whatever. And Grillam and Robin's there and she's pregnant. I will give her this. She immediately pukes because of the fishy smell. And I'm sure people are like, oh my god, she's so dramatic, But I'm like, she's pregnant this morning sickness.
Speaker 1: Or if you know, you were looking with a more cynical eye, you could ask yourself like is she stealing the limelight from those who went fishing? And is she making this big deal about her nausea and her having to run off to throw up, Like is it real?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Maybe I just thought it was a little crazy, like she goes and throws up and then her kids go and comfort her too, which I thought was bizarre, like Dayton.
Speaker 1: Runs immediately as soon as she leaves the room, yes, right behind her, which actually made me stop and think about what that means for how they grew up with her, you know, and how they have this kind of caretaking role with her.
Speaker 2: It's not healthy.
Speaker 1: It's not healthy at all.
Speaker 2: It's not healthy for kids.
Speaker 1: But also, I mean, maybe it's just genuine care and love. I don't know, but it just felt a little strange to me.
Speaker 2: To me, it feels like unhealthy because it was Dayton and then Aurora showed up right after, and then on the couch, those three kids are like defending her and being like, well, she's pregnant and she's sick and the fish smells bad, and like like, Okay, your kids, chill out. M m. You know, it's not a big deal. It's not a big deal. But they grow up that fish. It looked really good. I'm jealous. Yeah, And then we have the conversation. We have the five adults, Christine, Janelle, Cody, and Robin going out to dinner.
Speaker 1: At Jack Spratt. I've been there before.
Speaker 2: I was wondering if you had.
Speaker 1: I had been there before. Yeah, it was pretty good. Yeah, we had some seafood. It was it was tasty. I love seas It's very expensive, but like, sure, very tasty.
Speaker 2: So they go out to dinner and they start off with a toast and Cody in particular, is in a really good mood. He's like, this is the best vacation that we've ever been on. I'm so glad our whole family was here. Everybody is like in really light spirits, except for Mary.
Speaker 1: Sitting in the corner, her face all red. Just something's bothering Mary, and you can tell very odd energy. It is weird with her.
Speaker 2: And I'm just going to preface this by saying, I don't think that this was the right time for her to bring any of this up.
Speaker 1: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: But I think she brought it up because maybe shit was getting leaked at this point and so she felt the need to bring it up or maybe the producers forced her to talk about it at this point.
Speaker 1: Well, but sidebar, do we think or as a community in a dumpster, do we think that everybody knew already at this point? Because to me, if Mary is just going to as a non sequitor drop a bomb like hey, I might be leaving the family with absolutely no context for that, Like that's a shocking thing to say. Yeah, but nobody at the table really seemed shocked. They were more like, well, what do you mean? And how can we take care of you? What do you need from us? Like it just seemed like a strange conversation to have. I have a feeling, Well, if you believe the rumors, then you know that Robin has been accused of knowing all about the Catfisher, and through her friend Kendra, was actually gathering intel on what Mary was doing with the Catfisher. So Robin then passed that information along to Cody. So before Mary even maybe even knew what was going on with the catfish, they knew about what was happening. So I just feel like, at least Robin and Cody know what's going on. But I also just have a feeling that maybe Christine and Janelle know as well. What do you think?
Speaker 2: My vibe was like, maybe they didn't know. Okay, now that you're bringing this up, I'm like, I could see maybe Robin and Cody, if we're to believe the rumors, I could see Robin and Cody knowing, or at the very least just Robin. Maybe she hasn't said anything. I don't know. To me, it just felt really weird to like glaze over the catfish at the dinner.
Speaker 1: But she's saying in her talking heads that they don't even know about it yet. No, yeah, in this moment, right, So she's not talking about the catfish. They don't know about it a lot at all, okay.
Speaker 2: And so when Mary sits down, she starts off being like, it's no surprise, I've been struggling with stuff, Like, okay, what stuff.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a surprise to us because we thought you were happy about the adoption and you were glad at least for the legal marriage with Robin so that the kids could be adopted. We thought everything was okay, Like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: And Mary kind of brings up things that would be valid excuses, right, like Leon is no longer living with Mary, but Leon hasn't been at home for two years, so Mary has been alone for that long, and then you know, the divorce and everything. Like, she doesn't really name any particular thing or any particular situation as a blame or a cause for what she's feeling. She just says she's going through shit. To the camera. She tells us that she is so lonely and isolated that her house is so quiet every single day that she wakes up and has to turn music on just so she like doesn't go crazy because her house is lonely. And to the viewer, it's like, Okay, obviously Cody's not coming over to your house, right, He's obviously not even like hanging out with you or having a dinner, like you are just alone and like none of the family comes over to hang out with you. Now. Granted, I don't know if Mary has really like an open door policy with the family, because I think was it in Christine's book she had mentioned something like you have to knock to go to Mary's house.
Speaker 1: That was and Robin too. I didn't think Mary.
Speaker 2: I thought Mary was similar. I don't know. Maybe it was at the Lee High House. Maybe I'm talking out my ass. But Mary says that she's super lonely and isolated and she's just been feeling a lot, and she has been withdrawing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let me comment here just because I'm sure the kernel of that is absolutely true. I believe that after they were divorced, and actually well before that, Cody had one hundred percent pulled away from Mary. I feel she has every right to make a decision for herself to leave that relationship because she's not getting what she needs. She has sold a bill of goods and now she's getting the short end of the stick, and she has every right to be upset and to leave. However, it felt to me in some of these interstitials or the talking heads that she was kind of campaigning and setting herself up to be a victim and getting the audience to sympathize with what she's going through, although she never showed it to us before this, so that's why it's kind of hard for us to like say, well, what are you talking about? Like, I'm sure if I was watching back then, which I did, I think start right around now, I didn't understand because well, I thought everything was good because you guys are always putting on a united front. Now all of a sudden, you're telling me that it's a haunted house, that you're living in the original haunted house, that you're alone all the time, and I don't know, I just felt like some of that was duplicitous to me. And also the way she was just skirting around how everything happened, and I don't know. If it were me, I would have been like they got me.
Speaker 2: I was lonely.
Speaker 1: And the fact is is Cody hasn't touched my punani for years. I'm in a wife, I'm unhappy in this relationship, and nobody gives a fuck about me. And so, yeah, I made a mistake. I started talking to who I thought was a guy, but turns out it was a chick. You know, joke's on me. I feel like a fool, But there's kind of a reason that it all happened, and now I can confront what's really going on in my marriage or non marriage and maybe try to fix it or maybe I need to leave that. If she had said that at the time, I just feel like we would have all been on her side and rooting for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be more authentic, it'd be more real.
Speaker 1: This is just like a bunch of word salad. Like he was making me laugh. I needed to laugh. I'm like, well, but you were also in a tub with a banana having conversations just joke, and I assume this is a phallic banana and that you're touching yourself in the tub because you need some sensual love or whatever, like it's more than that from the very beginning. What this shows us is that she was not ever prepared to admit to her pardon it. And this is why Leon's gonna get really mad at Mary, because Leon was there and Leon was telling Mary this is what's going on. I think Leon even called out that this is probably a catfish. Mary didn't listen to them, proceeded to do this to herself, and now here we are. I just wish she was more direct and more truthful.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I think the only like duplicitous part of it was her skirting around the fact that she was like having an online relationship with this person, because she talks about it like, well, I was just like talking to people on social media and I was like making friends and then like I met this one guy and he was like becoming like my best friend, and like we were laughing and joking and he was expressing love for me and kindness and attraction, but like we were just friends. Though. Like that's where I'm like, h okay, be honest, here, be real. The part where she's like kind of victimizing herself. I have more empathy for only because I feel like in this religious context, like these women are supposed to perform a lot, and they're supposed to put on this like facade, and so with Mary, it's like I gotta pretend like I'm happy and I enjoy being here. I gotta pretend like I'm still like a part of this family so I can empathize with it doesn't make it right for her to like be faking throughout her life and stuff. I just think, Mary, I think you're right. Like, Mary didn't expect any of this to come out. I think she was expecting to run off into the sunset with Sam and like and like live her best life and just leave the family for Sam. But then it got blown up in her face and she got embarrassed. And the whole thing is like super embarrassing. I mean, imagine like having your online affair be blasted on national TV, like and at the time it was everywhere, it was in magazines and stuff, like it was a big dial So I feel for her.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just it's the theme of lying, and I think it comes part and parcel with the religion itself. They have to lie because they have to hide, and so there's always secrets so like it. It's just this culture of being dishonest. And I think that in this moment, Mary is not being accountable for what she consented to do with this person who she thought was a man. Like I think she was all in. I think she was having an absolute emotional affairs. She wanted to meet him. She would have probably laid it low and spread it wide and had a full blown physical affair if Sam was real. So like, just cop to that, own.
Speaker 2: That, And that was interesting that she even admitted to that, like saying like, oh, I definitely wanted to meet him. I tried to meet up with him a few times, but he always refused to meet me. And it's like, Okay, that was your first fucking clue, right, And as we're talking.
Speaker 1: About twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, every other Doctor Phil episode was about a catfish or you're a woman, It's something like, how did you not know?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: She even says that she had a feeling in the very beginning that he was feeding her a line of bullshit. And I'm like, Mary, if you had a feeling, you're a smart cookie, you're running your own business. Why don't you do a little bit of investigative journalism and just check this person out. But like and maybe, and that's where the nuance comes in, because maybe she wanted to believe maybe maybe like this was it for her. This was the only scrap of attention and affection that she had in her universe, and so she just put the blinders on and proceeded with Sam slash Jackie. Like it stinks all the way around, though, But Mary, you had a hand in that one hundred percent, and that's a betrayal. Like, and here's the thing, Like, if you're in a terrible relationship and you're with an awful partner, like that's not good and you have every right to leave, but like it's not okay though for your reaction to that to be to cheat, exactly and to go out and find somebody else that's out of into.
Speaker 2: Yes, And like I think you can. You can empathize with her to an extent because she obviously was like desperate and isolated and lonely or whatever. But she isn't this like blameless person for having this online affair. And again, like I said at the beginning of this episode, like I thought it was really weird how they kind of spliced these conversations together, because when we're back at Jack's Bratt and she's talking to the family, like she isn't saying I mean, at least what we see in the edited footage, she's not saying anything about the catfish. She's not talking about not at all. I brought something evil into the family. I got this catfish demon, and I'm trying to protect you guys. Like she's not saying any of that. What she's saying to the family is I don't know what I want to do. I don't know what I need. I might leave the family. Don't be surprised if I'm just up and gone one day. Like she's saying these like really extreme statements, and again, like I think there's some validity to it because she's obviously unhappy. Like you had said, she has every right to leave, but like to just drop that bomb, That's where I was like saying, I feel like this is not the appropriate time to have this conversation on this beautiful vacation that everybody's excited about, like to be like, yeah, so I've been struggling and I might just leave and disappear forever well.
Speaker 1: And it's like the way she beats around the bush. Even in that conversation, she can't just come right out and say, I'm thinking about leaving the family. I haven't been happy for a while. You have all noticed this. And then we have Christine in her talking head and even Robin saying, yeah, she hasn't been herself these last few months. So something is going on with Mary and everybody knows it. But she can't just sit down at the table and say, hey, this is what it is, this is what I think I'm gonna do. I'll let you know as soon as I know. It's just this beating around the fucking bush, this lack of communication. These people don't know how to communicate.
Speaker 2: Not at all, and really like the only people and Mary points us out, like the only people that are being supportive and understanding of her are Christine and Janelle. Robin, according to Mary, has like not wanted anything to do with her, doesn't know what to do with her at this point because of what she's been struggling with. But Robin to the camera says, yeah, when I first noticed something was up with Mary, I just made sure to talk to her more and know that and let her know that we're here for her. We love her, and obviously my dream and my hope would be for her and Cody to stay married, because I want the whole family to.
Speaker 1: Stay that that sweet sweet money.
Speaker 2: I need all of that money because I'm about to have another kid and I need another nanny. So I just really hope that they can work things out. And it's weird because, like Robin did the camera, it does kind of seem like she knows that it's about the catfish, whereas with Christine and Janelle, like Christine says something like, I've noticed that Mary's been struggling. You know, she comes to the family events as little as possible. You know, she's always on her phone. She's really distant, and I just wanted to know that we love her, we're here for her. And Janelle' say's the same thing, like no matter what our differences are, like we are a support system, We're here for her. But Robin is really weird about it.
Speaker 1: And then she cries, does she because I was looking for a tear, Honey, she has to break down thinking about Mary leaving the family and being unhappy, and it's so performative.
Speaker 2: And like way to make it about you, Yeah, Like how are you so heartbroken about Mary struggling.
Speaker 1: Kind of like she started to throw up, yet with the fish like just snatching that spotlight back to her good point.
Speaker 2: And then when they're at the dinner, like Cody's not saying anything. He's literally silent.
Speaker 1: Which is weird because you would think if your wife, who you love is telling you in the family, I might have to bounce doses. Yeah, you'd be like shell shocked. You'd be like, what what's going on here? Please tell me more? He says nothing at all, sits there with a weird smile on his face.
Speaker 2: It's really bizarre, and he like doesn't even look at her in the eye, and she's like crying and looking away, and then Cody did the camera's like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know what She's like, she's gonna leave. I don't know. That's because Cody already knows. Cody has been in the loop with this catfish for months through Kendra, Robin's friend. They all know, I don't, I mean Robin, Kendra, and Cody. I don't know about Janelle and Christine.
Speaker 2: I feel like Janelle and Christine I believe that they know. I mean, like maybe if Cody told Janelle something maybe she could know, but I know, I feel like Christine didn't know until it got aired out or whatever. My thing is, if Robin truly was behind the catfish and her goal was to secure her empire, why would she be behind this and essentially destroy like Mary and her spat in the family and her reputation, Like what would her why?
Speaker 1: See, I don't think Robin was behind it. Like, I don't think she called up Jackie or whatever her name was and said, hey, let's pull this scam on Mary. I think that she caught wind of what was happening. And I don't know if that's because she was also on social media noticing what was happening, or if Kendra inserted herself into Jackie's life or whatever, but like at some point she became aware of what was happening and then they started to just talk about it behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: Then why would she like egg it on? Why would she continue to know about it? Well?
Speaker 1: What was her comment last season when she was confronted about this? She said something like, well, if Mary thinks that I had anything to do with that, then that's her problem, or like she got really defensive about the catfish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so I'm like, Okay, if you did have a hand in it, then like why if you wanted to keep the family together, I don't understand. That's my whole thing that I don't.
Speaker 1: Because she doesn't. And she's saying that she's so grateful for Mary's sacrifice by getting a divorce to Cody so that she could marry him and he could adopt her kids. Like she keeps saying she loves Mary, she's there for Mary, but in truth, I don't think she is at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, Yeah, And it's pretty sad. And Like, ultimately, when I was watching this, even though I was frustrated by Mary just like beating around the bush and just like not saying what she fully means or saying the full truth, I did feel really bad for her because she was crying a lot. And this is like, again, really embarrassing to have it be aired out. I do wish that she could have been more honest about the fact that she fell in love with this made up dude with a fake photo.
Speaker 1: And she's probably being forced to do this on camera yea, because the whole nation is going to talk about it exactly, and so they're gonna have to address it. So can you imagine she knows she's going to the gallows, she's going to this dinner, and she's gonna have to say something to these people, and it's going to be terrible, it's gonna be embarrassing, and so she kind of just falls apart and doesn't say much. Yeah, she's obviously emotional. I liked seeing Christine being very supportive and so, but I kind of also understand why Mary didn't turn to Christine, for example, to sort of share what was going on with her and in her life or the catfish, because Christine is so judgmental from that Mormon aub perspective. If anybody at that table would have been there, I think for Mary it would have been Janelle. I think Janelle would have sat down with her, heard about the catfish, heard about her situation, and honestly helped her.
Speaker 2: Janelle the Taurus would have been like the only grounding force. I feel like, I feel like she would have been the only one that would have quietly listened, like without judgment. Maybe she would have had a little bit of like what the fuck, but like not enough to like put Mary off or whatever. I feel like Christine one hundred percent would have judged her. And it's funny because Christine said something in this episode like Mary wants to run away, but we're more of a support system than that, Like you owe us to stay here because we'll support you. And I'm like, well, really though, because you guys don't really like each other. And that's the other layer of all of this. It's like Christine and Janelle are saying like they're really supportive, but like Mary and Janelle don't really like each other. Christine doesn't get along with Mary because we know from her book that Mary was mean and has always been mean, and like Christine's jealous of Robin and doesn't like her. Janelle doesn't really like her, but she tolerates her. Like none of these women actually like each other, right, so there really isn't a support system.
Speaker 1: At all, or isn't actually safe at that table at all?
Speaker 2: No, And like in the family, like Mary doesn't really have anybody at all, and she has no friends, like she hasn't met Jen at this point. I don't think I think she has this. Well, then she should have fucking talked Jen.
Speaker 1: She probably did. Maybe maybe Jen new, Maybe Jen new, I don't know, but I think she could have shared with Janelle. I mean Janelle left Cody a couple of times. Yeah, moved out of the state, fuck you both fingers right, and left his ass. Like I think she would totally get it and hopefully support Mary, but like that's just a relationship. It's like two ships in they just never get that shit together Janelle and Mary.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. And like I will say, I think Mary is a little bit dumb for being catfish by somebody online because I'm just like, this is so stupid. Yeah, and like you're also like a TV personality, Like why don't you think about totally the fact that people are totally going to be messaging you to try and get dirt on you.
Speaker 1: So his profile picture, and I don't know if y'all remember what that was, it was like a black and white sort of business y sort of picture. He was a young man with dark hair. He was very classically handsome. So she saw the profile picture and she was just like, let me get a banana.
Speaker 2: It's so embarrassing.
Speaker 1: It is embarrassing, And she's so embarrassed in this moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's cringe dude, like twenty sixteen, Like you're like in your forties. It's not even like you're a boomer who's like learning how to use a computer for the first time, Like, oh, you're an adult. You know how technology.
Speaker 1: Weren't on the internet probably for well she's a Mormon, I don't know, but like I was on the internet ninety three, honey, Yeah, I was on the internet for real.
Speaker 2: Well, Facebook was invented in like two thousand and eight, Like, it's not like it was so new, like you could I don't know. I just think it was really silly to like fall for this very obviously fake profile. But she was like talking to him on the phone and again probably having phone sex and just like living her best life.
Speaker 1: So was this chick Jackie like just doing a male voice or did she have some sort of like voice transformer or something like what happened with that? I don't know. How would you not know?
Speaker 2: Because I thought was it Leon that said it or Christine that said it? Like Leon had overheard the conversations and like knew that it was a woman. Like so I don't know if Sam was even using any voice altering stuff. I know that stuff exists, and it definitely exists, back existed back then, But like was Mary just falling for a bush?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the next thing. Let's continue to ascend because maybe at some point, like if, as she says this episode, she had a feeling, like one week into their conversation Mary and Sam, she had a feeling that he was horseshitting her. Maybe at some point she realized, Oh, I'm I'm talking to a chick and I like it. Maybe and I'm not mad at it. So I'm gonna continue to have this conversation. I don't know, because she does seem very betrayed by Jackie, and.
Speaker 2: I know she like calls him a bastard, like she's super pissed off that he would have the audacity to fake a profile. But I'm like, you still, like you'd said, you still chose to talk to him and have phone sex and send pictures with your banana in your mouth.
Speaker 1: It's like, though you were dubious, but this person was. And remember didn't Mary go to Disneyland? And Sam sent his best friend Jackie to meet Mary because I can't go. I'm very busy. I'm a businessman, so but I'm gonna send my friend who's really good with technology. You don't want to mess with her. I'm gonna send her to Disneyland. And Mary actually met Jackie at this time. Yeah, I think before this time, she's already been to Disneyland. She thought she was meeting Sam's best friend, but she was meeting her actual catfish. So she did meet her.
Speaker 2: And that's what's crazy to me, So like you were actively going to meet this person outside of your family, outside of your marriage. I will say she did mention a little bit of that, being like, you know, I can't believe I did this type of a thing. I'm a married woman and like I have a family, but it was lonely and I was talking to me for I.
Speaker 1: Don't think she was ever as overt as that.
Speaker 2: She did say something like I was married, and why am I doing this outside of my marriage? But I was. It was my friend, my friend who.
Speaker 1: Said made me laugh. I was laughing again in my lonely house, and.
Speaker 2: He said he was attracted to me and my poor nanny.
Speaker 1: Oh god. So it's sad, it's also enraging. It's also like Crinn, but it's what happened to Mary Brown. And here we are going into the next season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so that's the question, are we going to watch the tell all for this because I do remember in this season they do address the catfish and the tell all and it is with Tambern Hall.
Speaker 1: Can we not do it as like a recap of an episode, but like maybe we can just watch it before. Yeah, we'll spark notes and then we'll watch the first episode of season ten and we can talk about anything that was germane from this tell all.
Speaker 2: It sounds good to me, okay.
Speaker 1: Babes Well, is that the last thing that happened.
Speaker 2: That was pretty much it? It was like the whole conversation of just the catfish and Cody's confused okay about what she means? And the season ends.
Speaker 1: Well, what are your thoughts out there? Guys? Were you around when this dropped in twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, whenever it aired? What were your thoughts then? What are your thoughts now? Knowing what you know, Like, what do you think about Mary now and how she dealt with it throughout the entire rest of their marriage? I'm interested? Yeah, is there anything else that we need to say to these beautiful raccoons before we get up on out of here?
Speaker 2: Beadrels Well, if you love our podcast, please do us a favor, go to your favorite podcast platform and Lebo's a glowing five star review. Really helps us grow the pod and we really appreciate it, so thank you very much.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be back next week to get into season ten this Bitch finally, yes, and talk a little bit more about the catfish. And also, didn't I send you something on Instagram on a new show that might be interesting?
Speaker 2: What was it Married at First Site? Right, there's a revamp.
Speaker 1: Married at First Site has been taken over by Peacock and they've refreshed it. It's not two hours each episode, I think. Let me know if I'm wrong about that. But it's also modernized, so I don't know if it's like a little bit more like Love Island or like a little bit more like something like that. I don't know. Guys, if you're watching, tell us what you think about it. But we're thinking about maybe covering it.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it sounds interesting if it's better than the original, I'm down.
Speaker 1: Well, did you also see that thing I sent to you on Instagram about those wives who are doing only fans and the men who manage them. Yeah?
Speaker 2: What was it called?
Speaker 1: Like something about I don't know, ladies out just in Suburbia being oas God on the internet, which is my favorite. I love a huah, I.
Speaker 2: Did find it. What is it called tillim like the Mom next Door? Double Lives of Suburban Wives.
Speaker 1: Gosh, you just never know, do you?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I would be into that if it's a bunch of soccer moms being.
Speaker 1: I'm like so gunshy with TLC after poly Family and like suddenly Homage, Like those were so overly produced, they were such a drag. I didn't want to watch them anymore.
Speaker 2: But these ones look legit though.
Speaker 1: Kind of are you guys gonna watch? Do you have any suggestions for something that we can watch until the new season of Sister Wives comes on?
Speaker 2: Perfectly, something that's not like a slog to watch, like a fucking ninety day.
Speaker 1: I don't have that kind of time.
Speaker 2: Two hour episodes and like for four weeks we're in the same scene. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's got to be something out there though that we can watch and have some fun with double lives of supermin lives. Okay, I don't married at first sight. Okay, let us know what you guys think. We'll be back next week, Like I said, until then, please do not forget that we have nothing but love for you, and
Speaker 2: Please all night