Speaker 1: I love having an apartment upstairs and running the art gallery downstairs, so I can toodle up and down all day, and I new to public in the art gallery. It's putin planet. Putin so because you know, with the naked riding the horse, but he is a horse.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman and I'm Joey Angelfield producer engineer Mike Tomren is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of Adad Jabourine Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West in Atheist United Studios. Hey, Joey, what would cosmic mythology and primordial folklore look like as an underground comic. Our guest today has answered that question.
Speaker 3: Honored to talk with Barbara Willie Mendez, a fine artist, an underground comics pioneer whose new anthology, Queen of Cosmo's Comics Trilogy is published by Fanographics.
Speaker 2: Willie. Welcome to Amusing Jews.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much. I'm delighted to be here, in particular because people have been dwelling on the weighty parts of my book, like the mid rush in the Kabbala, of which it is not about that, And on the surface, it's a very funny story. So I'm hoping that we can inject some humor and amusement into this interview.
Speaker 3: Your art work is unique and instantly recognizable. How did you get started in the arts?
Speaker 1: Well, totally as a little kid. When I was five years old, I was in Montclair Museum Children's Art School, and then we moved to Brooklyn Brooklyn Museum Children's Art School. By the time I was an adolescent, I was growing the nude at the Art Students League and learning composition and all the adult things in high School of Music and Art, School of Visual Arts, Hunter College, buying art program. And then I tuned in, turned on, and dropped out. But there's an ear story of my style that goes like this. I'm sixteen years old, I guess still music and art. And of course Art Forum was the bible. I mean, if you ever grew up and got an art forum, that would be it. And so I'm reading art Forum and they had this article about the Tate Gallery in London is exhibiting toilet paper on the walls. That's the art. And I said to myself, these people are like, I am not following this. This is not something that I have to aspire to. I'm not going to try to be like the white male Western world without putting it into those worlds words perhaps, but I'm going to do what I like. I Barbermanda, sixteen years old girl. I liked Jean Cocteau. I liked French movies, and I liked color, and I like plants, and I had some interesting dreams throw it all on the canvas and make it beautiful. And I began that. I just tacked a canvas on the wall and began throwing it all on the wall, make it beautiful and using color patterns. And this is how I developed my style. And I'm seventy eight years old now and it's quite recognizable and I've gotten good at it over those long years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned Cocteau and maybe some film work. Were there fine artists that influenced you as well?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, Walt Disney, I would say, was the biggest artistic influence on me. And I'm not even going to talk. I'm not giving them my time of my interview to go through the list of famous male artists in my lifetime. Forget about it, let's talk about me. There were no women role models, and the male role models had one big problem. They're males. I am not, so they've been talked about until anybody's blue in the face.
Speaker 2: Is that maybe why you were looking at plants and other maybe natural inspirations, because they weren't gendered in that way?
Speaker 1: Those stale male, white male gaze of Western art from the beginning is not the only way to see the world. Excuse me, but there are other things besides elements that arouse males. That's not the only subject of art. Excuse me, But I found others not being a male myself also, and that didn't preclude extalling women. I extoll women for their beauty, for their power, for their glory. But the titulating the males, I leave that to the ninety nine percent of the art in the world.
Speaker 2: You were part of the underground comics movement of the nineteen seventies. How did you get involved with that?
Speaker 1: I got in through Kim Ditsch from he was a friend of my first husband, Rick Kunstler, and Trina Robbins was Kim Ditsche's girlfriend, and in the beginning, that's how it was. And I got into a lot of boys comic books before Trina gained her power in nineteen seventy. I also have a very rare page from Gothic Blimp Works which Kim got me into this underground comic of the nineteen sixties. So that was the earliest how I got into it. And then I showed you some of the boy books, and then along came Trina. This was really big. Ron Turner gave her a thousand bucks to make an all woman comic book and get on the woman's liberation trail, and this is the cover of it. It ain't me, Babe, and so I did the back over. Trina and I sharing a house with our guys with Kim Diisch and Rick, So we actually shared a house on Edgar Place in San Francisco right before this, and we were both having babies. We were both pregnant, so Trina had her baby first, Hasey and I had my baby later. But this is really the iconic picture of us in that era. So I did the back cover of this book and the first story Alma, which became later when I gave birth to my daughter and she was a girl. I named her Alma after this page. So we followed that up with the second all woman comic in the world, All Girl Thrills, and again I did the back cover and I did a piece of art for the first story, which is so iconic. It's in the history of illustration on the same page with Robert Crumb and its realm of Karma comics.
Speaker 2: What was your opinion of Robert Crumb in some of his artwork in those days, given your your response to male artists.
Speaker 1: On the one hand, Robert Crumb is a genius, and he's the funniest guy, and he's the most genius artist of just drawing our times, our life and our times and capturing different types and of all his drawing is amazing, So that's the truth of it. But what did he do? Of course I had horrid with abhorred with every fiber of my body. But my really favorite one was s Clay Wilson, who makes Robert Crumb look like a pussycat with his subject matter. I mean, he just had the s Clay Wilson had the worst subject matter ever, but his art was not only fantastic, it was also beautiful in its ugly subject matter, no matter despite it in a way that Crumb is not like gorgeous beautiful, it's just fantastically genius.
Speaker 3: Like enjoying the show, click like and subscribe. What led you to incorporate Jewish law and iconography in your work?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the famous story of how it all happened. It was eleven eleven ninety two. Picture this, I'm unfair Fox Boulevard, a Jewish Los Angeles that you may have heard of. And then I'm painting a mural of a Treifa restaurant called Tropical Garden, and a guy stops me, and he says, excuse me for stopping you. I want you to paint my synagogue. And I said, I'm Jewish, I'll do it. So I go on. It's a Sephardic synagogue, which I have Sephardic roots on half of it. I just knew that, And I painted the Garden of Eden and Noah's Ark in the courtyard of the Pinto Torah Center. Meantime, Gabriel's friend Nathan courted me and I got a boyfriend who later became my second husband. Meantime, there was a movement in America, I don't know, around the world called the Boochuva movement to take Jewish people, adults such as myself who know they're Jewish but know absolutely nothing about Judaism and teach them absolutely everything. So the Yeshiva of Los Angeles, known as Ula, they had a community adult program or four nights a week. I would go and learn from the biggest rabbis, and the most inspiring rabbi taught me Hebrew, doctor Jujudaberdugo. I learned Hebrew from the most inspiring teacher who would say, class, this is a class like no other because Hebrew is the language of God. And he totally inspired us. And he'd said, class, this is very beautiful. So these are the things that brought me to Judaism. So how did I express it? Immediately I put it into my art. So it began with these biblical murals. This is the Berat sheet mural. So it starts with the days of creation and then the outer border. I decided to make all the stories, which we'll see more in some of the other ones. When I sold it it's in Florida. I created the Shimote mural, so this is the boxes are bigger and it's everything that happens in the Book of Exodus. And they're divided into boxes, which are the weekly tour aportions, because in Queen of Cosmo's comics, for the first two chapters of each volume, I parody the Bible the weekly tour aportions. So this is my third biblical mural vy eu crem mural, and it's every single verse in the Book of Leviticus. Now there are eight hundred and fifty nine verses in the Book of Leviticus, and each one is a tiny picture. Well, it was around twenty sixteen that I received a phone call from doctor Robert Lovejoy, a professor at American University, who was editing the Underground Comics section of the History of Illustration, and he invited me to be in it. A which page you want first page of Roma Karma comics, which I always knew since I was twenty one years old, and made it that it was a good page. So then it validated me. I went, bast as, WHOA, my comics were really good. You know, I'm going to read the history book. So then I got the idea A long about this time, I had been Orthodox Jewish already for thirty years, I left the second husband, but I continued in it, and I did those three biblical murals. I'm orthodox, I'm so from you couldn't believe it. Thirty long years, and I finally really got tired of the patriarchy on the ground in Judaism, particularly Orthodox Judaism. However, they have all the mystic stuff, they have all the godly stuff. They have the priests the bless you every day, and no, that's not the blessing. I just made that up as a victory symbol. But they have a lot of holiness and Orthodoxy which is absolutely missing, possibly in other areas. But it's so patriarchal, and the men are so arrogant. Oh, I couldn't take it anymore. That's when I made a painting which led directly to my comics series, Queen of Cosmos Comics, and this is volume one, and I really planned it as a one off. I didn't plan it as a series, but it was a no brainer to put the Judaism in there, since I'm already drenched in It starts with creation and let us create a world. The second one starts with there's a Hebrew is lech Lecha, but the English translation is get up and go, and again it is they're all humorous, they're funny, get up and go, chows wine women in songs, so you can punch that in. And then volume three begins, and I'm going to bring out the actual original artwork because of course the book isn't published. Ye, it'll be out in trilogy. And this is the first page of volume three. And here's a joke because I want it to be funny. It's the fifth weekly Tora portion after creation in the Torah, the Bible, and the Hebrew name of this Torah portion is Hia Sarah. Hia Sarah means the life of Sarah, Hia himla hiam. Right, everybody knows that Hi means life in Hebrew. We know from saying the hiam to life to life him so Hi means life, and the Hebrew meaning of Hia Sarah is the life of Sarah. It goes on to say, what was one hundred and twenty seven years? So I make a joke. I call it Hia Sarah. So she's saying hi because I made the female character of Sarah Sora that she's on Hia Sora. And then there's a bunch of other jokes. So with all my Bible parodies, the more you know about the Bible, and certainly the weekly Tora portions, then you'll get a lot of the jokes. So I think that answers how I wove Judaism into my comics and my paintings, and how it was just a natural progression since that's my life. Because one last thing I've shown all Bible imagery, but going into the Orthodox community inspired me visually with the people and the rituals and even the holy meals, because I'm talking three times every shop as we have holy meals, communal meals and everything, and it was just so aesthetic, so beautiful, and everything in the Sephardic world is beautiful, the torres draped in scarfs and silver and gold, and I was very aesthithically taken with the on the ground, the same world that I had to leave behind because I found it too patriarchal. But I missed some great beauty and joy, and I will mention the singing, particularly the Sephardic singing, So I missed that, Dearly.
Speaker 2: What can you tell us about your central character, Queen of Cosmos.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm happy to tell you about the Queen of Cosmos, because people come into my gallo read I round all the time, and I've said this a million times. It's like this, the one God, the God of the Bible, he has no body. Like the poem that you may bring up says, it's a body, this being, it has no body, it has no gender. It is neither a male nor female. It is a giant, non body, non bodied being. It's God. So we can't think about such a blady concept, so we use metaphor. A metaphor is a word that means something else, but it reminds us of that's something else, so it can kind of stand in for that something else. So therefore people have said God, our father, our father, who are in heaven a vinubashamayam. So it's a metaphor for God. And besides, in all up into the world. And I'm going to read your poem later that I wrote today. Men have ruled the world, and so it was natural to think that God would be a man and God would be our father. However, if you happen to be female, it's no sacrilege whatsoever in my opinion, to use a female metaphor for God, particularly since it's clear in the Bible that we are in God's image, and therefore I just made it up. And you know, you've heard of King of the Universe, Queen of Cosmos. It's just a total parody, but it's using a female metaphor for the one God, and she mixes in. But she's a woman, so she's different from the male God. The male God has male attributes. The God is jealous, God is violent, God is this and that. And also all the women that God picks in the Bible are beautiful. Leah is the only exception, and the only time wise women are called for is in the end of Tishebov when we're mourning the destruction. The woman God is different, and I find her funny, and she makes mistakes, and she's always arguing with the angels who surround God is surrounded by angels and they're kippetzing her and she's arguing with them. So it's not that my book is about argument is that the queen isn't so self assured and arrogant as the male God is. For example, the male God preates the world and then he says and it's good. He doesn't even ask kitty, but he just goes and it's good, whereas my female god says is it good? Because that's what I would say to you if I show you a new picture, I'd say, is it good? Do you like it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: George Carlin had a great shtick about how the God of the Bible is obviously male because of all the ways that he expresses himself and all the wars and the you know, retribution and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a valid concept that we both have in common. I mean, it's it's out there.
Speaker 3: I saw it and enjoy it as a loving send up. Do you kind of see yourself in the Queen of Cosmos? Also?
Speaker 1: You know only and that she's the only character that looks like me in a very very very idealized way. But with the tangle hair. I mean, that's what we do. We idolize, we idealize. I would call it an idealized vision. But I never thought about me being it. I just had to make it look like me, because what else are you gonna make it look like?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I was gonna say strive for or aspire to, But then I find maybe that's my maleness coming in. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just made it because it's to me. It's if you look at women's art, which not enough people do in bulk, and especially on the Internet, women's art, especially on TikTok, women's art all around the world. Women make symmetrical things, women think themselves. We start our vision from the inside, from inside of us, and it's like a mandala, and it radiates out and the first thing it encounters is our physical appearance and how we look. But we see so much art is based on how we are and how we look and how we feel.
Speaker 3: Queen of Cosmo's Comics trilogy, not only we tell stories from the Torah with a psychedelic feminist twist, but also vignettes from your own life's journey. Have these comics played a role in your self discovery?
Speaker 1: I really grappled with that question in advance because I don't know the answer. They're just all woven together, and me and my life and my art are woven together. I think one answer I grabbed was from my day books. But I don't have to show you. It's just it. In the beginning of my visual journals, I show what I did that day, what I did that day, back to front, like Hebrew. It's my ideas and also the studies for my biblical murals and my other art, just my wild ideas what I feel like, which is most of my pre judaic art, was very wildly about how I felt. So to me, the two were just woven together. And in the comic, of course, as you know, I wove them together. So the Queen of Cosmos has to appear. My daughter, Kirby, my living daughter, is one of my role models and idols, and she said to me while I was making it, momm you got to keep the Queen of Cosmos in there, you know, because that's your main character. So I wove the Queen of Cosmos through all the stories about my life. But I really felt like that, like how did we go under the bridge of the Brooklyn Bridge to meet this lady and smoke a joint? And she was the one who knew the healer and ps. My daughter didn't die in one year, she died in thirty three years, so oo, but a lady God would have set that little meeting up. I'm just saying to me, that's a divine thing, and divine things like that happened to me. I'm very mystical I lived my life in a mystic fashion, and mystical, amazing things happen to me all the time. That was one of them.
Speaker 2: You have a page in the book that reads, I believe in feminine cosmic consciousness. Women can regain power in spiritual and worldly realms. Women are hardwired to be compassionate and seek solutions. Men shake the world into a frightening horror escape instead of the bountiful earth we were given. Are you hopeful about a woman led future?
Speaker 1: I absolutely am. And the poem that you just read, which happens to be a tic tac rap that I did, it's a pin to the top of my TikTok page. Barbara Willie Mendez, uhm, sums it up. I mean, I think you answered the question before you asked it. I absolutely believe not only that women will rise, but that women will save the world by rising because of the contents of that poem. But here we are today, April ninth, I wrote a poem today to add to this answer to this question. Okay, short, I see women rising, but men still ruling with drooling gaze and unsafe ways. Just look around that gaze is found. Those ways resound opponents downed by men's rule. We bow to a fool. I see women rising, but men still ruling.
Speaker 2: Why the part of what you're getting at two maybe is that the whole sort of persona of maleness can also change right to accommodate the rising women.
Speaker 1: I forgot to add that part. I mean, I'm a straight person. I love men, and I love what makes them manly and testosterone. That's beautiful. That's what I want. And the man, however, and those new men are all around. It's just that they don't rule the world yet. But those men are all around, and people like me, those are the only men that they know, because the other men don't remain known by me. But there's absolutely wonderful dudes around, and they are cumminating because what are you, simon Lagrae, You want you don't want to be overlord, So then you accommodate the new way to look of things. But when my day, I'm old, I'm seventy eight. When I was in my twenties and thirties, men with some a new women's libbers. You wanted this, you wanted that, you know, like get back in the kitchen. So it's very new. These new males that they're visible, and of course in TV shows and everything, welcome, thank you, because in the Queen of Cosmo's comics it says the males will come in handy, they'll help everybody with their strength, and that's how it should be. Like you guys are physically the general stronger, So come and help me move this chair, and help come and help take care of the house, and give a hand with the kids even, you know, like lend a hand with this wonderful strength. But the whole way that they're hardwired to use it for calm, forget about it. I don't like that because we have babies and they're so difficult to nurture. From their tenius point till like two years old. They could be dead a hundred times if you didn't save their lives with your brilliant adult wisdom. They're so fragile, So to bring anybody up like that just to slaughter them is just beyond my ability to understand that impulse.
Speaker 3: You have a very colorful art gallery on South Robertson Boulevard in Los Angeles. Could you tell us about that.
Speaker 1: My landlord owns two buildings and one is on the corner. I never dreamed in my wildest dreams of the storefront. I had a place a block to the north for ten years and the building was sold. And I was already friends with my landlord Aubrey and his wife Melba, because we put on a yearly festival on my block for twenty years and I knew them from that. So when I had to move, I rented the apartment next door to the gallery upstairs, which is still my large apartment and beautiful apartment, because I thought it would be my gallery, my studio, and my home. And then a miracle stepped in. It was Deete Kirkwood with a job on the toke the play called Tok in Berkeley, and she needed posters, so I made four beautiful paintings for her, and she paid me enough to get into that art gallery. The guy had just mysteriously left after thirteen years and it was empty. That's how I got the Barbermendous gallery. And then I couldn't pay that rent. I ended up bowing Aubrey eight ten, twelve, fourteen, eighteen thousand dollars and I just got the hell out of there. It was just going up and up, and I was crying and painting it's in the book. The story is in the book. And Carolyn came along and she bought tons of my big paintings and got me current and I stayed and that's how I got into it. Then we closed the gallery for a while, but it didn't get rented, and then we put on an arch exhibit for the festival that year, and we go. We don't know exactly how we got the idea, but we got the idea to open a gallery together, me and the landlords so that they get the rental. It's a rental gallery and people rent the two front rooms and they pay good money and they pay it to Aubrey and Melba, so they get some income for their property. And I get to maintain a gallery in the back room year round and I make my living that way. People come in because they're attracted by the mural outside. My favorite people in the world are the ones that stop their car and pull over and come check out the mural. And if they find me, it's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Don't you have your name on the street there as well?
Speaker 1: Oh ah, don't you'd never ask. But it's also called Barbara Mendous Square. The corner on which the gallery and the mural are it's Barbara Mendous Memorial Square, which is nice because it's like being at your own funeral. But it says I have the copy of it in the house, also dedicated to a creator whose artistic integrity magnifies the excellence of the South Robertson community.
Speaker 2: I just think it's hilarious that it's called the Memorial Square because obviously you're not memorialized, you're not eligible for memorialization yet, but.
Speaker 1: I will be inevitably, and then I tell the young people. See then you'll say that you knew me. But I'm also a Los Angeles cultural treasure, so that one I'm proud of. But nobody knows this stuff, but it's true. You want to hear how I got to be memorial Yeah?
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 1: It was an enemy that got me that sign, not a friend. It wasn't everybody loved me and they got together to extall me. It wasn't like that at all. It was the day of the festival picture this, and it was the year that we had the art Gallery exhibition, but it hadn't been a gallery before that. So this is giant pink mammogram bus. It's like a greyhound bus only painted completely pink, and it's odd, you know. So it's like on and I wake up at six in the morning, there it is. I throw on jeans and run outside, move the bus from the front of the gallery. And Terry, my arch enemy, comes down the block on the golf cart. Because the whole street is closed off to traffic. They're just building boots and everything. And I stood in front of that golf cart like tianum and square like this, like if you're going to go forward, you're gonna run me over. You have to stop. So he stopped and I said move the bus, and he said no. So I said, well, Terry, I intend to oppose you politically, and I intend when the officials arrived today, I'm going to tell them what you did. And he says, well, if you'd have said please, i'd moved the bus. So he moved the bus, and the officials did come, and I remembered I lifted my eyes and I saw the official's name, and I told the story, and they says, on Monday, we're going to deal with this. So sure enough. Liz Carlin was a wonderful woman who was the deputy to her bless in the head of the city council, and she asked me if the mural was legal, and I said it wasn't, so she just forwarded me from Cultural Affairs the application for a legal mural, and it was easy because it's a vintage mural who'd been there a few years already. And it became legal. And then I got a call from Terry, my arch enemy. Evidently they had told him merely to apologize to me, but he didn't want to do that, so he called me up and he said, do you want it to be Barbara Menda square. I said yes, and that did make me not oppose him so heavily. For a year, I was waiting for my square. And then when they put the sign on, it was jackhammers. It was a little sign before the one way high up and I'm like, I love those jackhammers because I knew they were putting up my sign. But it's covered with a veil, as you know, and they're going to unveil a sign like that. It had a film of yellow on it, so then they had a few minor dignitaries at the unveiling at the festival and they peeled back the yellow film and there it is Barbarmendous Memorial Square. But there's one more funny story. There's a an avant garde dancer named Rachel Rosenthal, and she has a studio one buck to the south of me. Maybe you've heard of her. She was quite famous, but unfortunately she's passed away since then. But she has a sign across the street from her place that says Rachel Rosenthal, Los Angeles Living Cultural Treasure. But she's passed away, so my sign says Byremendous Memorial Square. But I'm still alive, So who would you rather be? It's okay. Everything that happens to me, It's like, it's okay because I'm just like living this life.
Speaker 2: That all sounds like a like a Seinfeld episode or something.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of my life is like that. Thanks for letting me share some of these funny stories.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Willie for joining us.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me. It was fun to meet.
Speaker 2: You all and to our audience. Now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 3: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe.