Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapists podcast. My name is Gymiferson. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show five four three two one our folks, Welcome back to the podcast. I'm very excited to have as my guest today, Cedric Bertelli. Cedric, welcome, thank you very much, very happy to be here.
Speaker 2: Thank you awesome.
Speaker 1: Cedric is a founder of Emotional Health Institute and co developer of Emotional Resolution, a body based method designed to resolving debilitating emotional patterns by working with introception and the brain's predictive mechanisms. His work bridges clinical practice, neuroscience, and philosophy, and is currently being studied in collaboration with the UCLA in research on anxiety among healthcare workers. He's also sought after speaker and educator, recently named the number one audience choice speaker at the twenty twenty twenty five Super Trauma Conference. Wow all right, Cedric, welcome. Before we get going, share with the listeners where you're from originally and where you are currently.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So originally I'm from friends, so that's the accent. I apologize. And I've been living in the Bay Area for about twenty years, over ten three years, so I'm in Oakland, California.
Speaker 1: Okay, awesome, all right, so let's go back. How does this begin for you?
Speaker 2: Well, how it begins, shorter version will be. I was a very anxious child and later on a quite anxious adult. I started my career in hospitality business. I was a chef at first, then went to work for the Ritz Carton Company, first as a chef, then as a metal hotel director of restaurant, director of banquets. Learned to manage my anxiety very well, how with alcohol, Okay, okay, that works. We have alcohol and other metadology. And at some point it didn't work anymore. I mean, you know, it wasn't obviously healthy for me, and and it was it was kind of a hurricane constantly in me, even if you didn't show all outside inside was it was a bit of a disaster and a tual diveral things. Alcohol, of course, of course, I should say, of course, but that's in the business that I was. It was available and and and seen as okay, psychotherapy, et cetera. And it didn't. It didn't It wasn't clicking for me because I couldn't keep on managing something that kept on hurting me constantly. So this is when I decided to quit in two thousand and eight and went to France, went back to France actually and learning sol learning somatic therapy. And what has been in my mind since the beginning is I growing up. I was raised by my parents, and my grandfather was a World War two veteran and it went through immense trauma himself, and I was always wondering how people like him and people of his generation could tap into resilience and building a brain new life for their family without having any kind of personal help. So that always was in my mind, Right, Why do I struggle so much from my emotions when I did not leave any trauma that I can remember, and people who leave so much trauma are able to be as resilient as my grandfather was b was. So it was something in my mind, something, something, something I didn't get. What is it that's not clicking in me that allowed me to become resilient so to speak? And this is how I got into into researching somatic therapy and and so on and so on.
Speaker 1: So the bridge between you being a chef working at the Ritz Carlton experiencing anxiety, he moved back to France, you said, and started studying. So you started studying somatic therapy or psychology because you had been experiencing so much anxiety.
Speaker 2: Correct, because because it was it was at first it was just to find a better solution for me, and also to be honest. Working at the RIDS, I had an opportunity to manage a lot of people. I had a team of two hudred and fifty people. And you could see that if you don't manage people, you manage the emotions. Everybody come with a load of emotions at work and you've got to take the time to understand the little bit what's going on in the life, what allowed them to be the best version of themselves at work as well. So as a manager, you constantly quote unquote manage people emotions so that they can be in an ecosystem that allowed them to thrive and to feel joy. So emotions always have been something that was quite fascinated about.
Speaker 1: So you start studying how does everything unfold, what happens, what do you start.
Speaker 2: Doing so, as I went back to France and I joined a research group of around somatic therapy.
Speaker 1: So I learned.
Speaker 2: I learned a specific modelity team that was studied by a gentleman in several of Frances called Jampa. And the the idea is quite simple at the beginning, which is when people feel an emotion, When they start feeling an emotion and they can put their attention into the physical sensation they're feeling, they can remain with the physical sensation they're feeling without interfering with the sensations whatsoever. So no breath, no stretching, nothing. At the end, after a few minutes, the sound sessions abate and what seems to happen is that the emotion that were suffering from is not coming back. So it started from this observation from Jean Paul reg nowadays jam is one of the people working with at the Emotional Health Institute. So we took this observation a plate of course on ourself and other people and started to understand what is happening. I will keep the shore the story short, but after practicing and refining this work from Saya in twenty nineteen, when I say we is myself, doctor Jacqueshimex, with gastro anthologists from the University of Young in France. We build the Emotional Health Institute to really understand what was happening in the brain in the body. That will explain this phenomenon of at the beginning of an emotion. If I'm able to keep my attention on my sen sessions with that interfering with them, the emotion doesn't come.
Speaker 1: Back at the beginning of an emotion.
Speaker 2: It's most important at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Right because I'm thinking someone's in the emotion. It can be very difficult to have that level of self awareness. Give us something. Okay, hang on before we get into the specific to this. So what I'm noticing here, Cedric is you went all in. You didn't just start studying somatic. You went all in. You started, and you started. You developed your own system. Explain that to me.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I can explain it. I think you you you start, I started falling into it. It's you know, okay, okay, if you look around, very so much misery, very so much misery, because people are trapped into a gel of fear. I would say we have so much fear instead of us, and we we isolate in our fear, and that cuts us from the connection of the world of each other. And isolation create pain, Pain create fear, fear create mayhem. And I could see it for me, I could see it for people around me, clients, family, friends. It became I started reading philosophy, people like Merlo Ponti in France or Spinosa, and trying to understand where all this pain was coming from, and how can we come back to a place where we're more connected and not so much self interested, right, healing for connection, not diving into the self self self self self and just getting getting obsessed by oneself instead of opening up to the world. So so yes, I got yeah, jump Adred and ten person into it.
Speaker 1: You can say that, yes, during this time, how were you doing personally? How is your anxiety?
Speaker 2: So I started really being interested in this work because my anxiety changed tremendously, Right. I went from being extremely stressed, a lot of self directed anger and depression to becoming more and more joyful, to not have to control my anxiety anymore. But that's it, that's the key, right, It really started when I didn't have to control my anxiety anymore. But I stopped feeling it when I was able to to. So it's not about not feeling emotions here, let's be precise. It's about being able to feel the emotions that are congruent with our current reality and not being overwhelmed by our fear. Is when I stop having to manage myself, control myself, finding copying mechanism to exist. That as saw that what we were diving in was most important and efficient.
Speaker 1: So at some point you founded the Emotional Health Institute two. Yet, okay, you are the co developer of emotional resolution. Let's dive into that. What is that?
Speaker 2: Okay, emotional resolution studied by the observe with the observation. As I said earlier, than if if we're able to get inside the emotion at the beginning of the emotion and feeling the physical sensations happening in the body until that dawn evolving at the end of the evolution, what we notice on the emotion we started with wasn't coming back. So how is that possible? Well, to keep it simple, it's a matter of prediction. Right. If you look at the work of Lisa and Van Barrett out of Boston and the principle of the prediction of the brain. Every debilitating emotional patterns, anxiety, depression, recurring fears, it is nothing else but an outdated prediction from the brain. I can explain why, in a nutshell we know today two things to have in mind when it comes to emotional difficulty is. Number one, the brain constantly predict. This is why before biting an up you know exactly what the apple is gonna taste like the brain constantly predict number one. Number two, we understand how a debilitated emotional pattern is created today. It is always the same type of event that creates an emotional difficulty pattern in our life. This event is what we're gonna call it trauma. And what is a trauma? A trauma is an instent that holds too much stress, physical or emotional for us to take on when we experience it. That's it. So a baby with barely born is going to experience something as a trauma. When forty years old, men will be completely relevant for therefore, for example, now, what's important as well to understand is what creates the pattern is not the trauma. It is the instent of dissociation happening within the trauma.
Speaker 1: That's more we'll repeat that again.
Speaker 2: What creates the pattern is not the trauma itself, it is they are the instant plural of dissociation happening during the traumatic event. Okay, so to go a bit more into it is, let's say that I'm being sexually abused for five minutes. I'm not going to see dissociate only once. I'm going to go in and out, in and out, in and out of consciousness. When the stress is too high, we dissociate so we do not suffer too much during this instant. Now, the amount of information that you and I are gathering currently consciously is about two thousand bits of information process at the speed of one hundred and fifteen miles per hour consciously subconsciously, when the prefunct or corotects shut down, you're subconscious as a capacity the ability to gather four hundred billion bits of information per seconds and to process it at this bit of one hundred and fifty thousand miles per hours. These are the numbers from the Penn University. They're from twenty twelve. But if you if you look at data, it's always the same realm. The realm is two thousand basically for conscious versus four hundred billion bits of information. Wow, from the subconscious. So what is happening is during this instant of dissociation, the preforntal contests shut down, so we don't suffer too much, but the subconscious takes over. So imagine vortex opening up outside, gathering all the information around you, the taste, the color, the general information, and the vortex up an inside gathering all the physical sensations, information from the physical sensation happening anybody during this instead of dissociation. So dissociation is inner and outside vortex is happening gathering all this information in a knowlogical, non inner way at a very high definition. Well, the go ahead, I was.
Speaker 1: Just gonna say. So, if I'm hearing you clearly, then we're still taking in information despite the fact that we're associating, but only on a subconscious level.
Speaker 2: Correct, we're taking all this information, but it is high definition, high speed, nonlinear knowlgical.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's like we're pull of information nolinear no knowlogical. Later on, when our brain our body is exposed to one or several elements that were present during a specific dissociation, your brain, my brain is going to predict what physical sensations you're about to feel based on what you felt during this specific dissociative moment. Your brain is going to generate those physical sensations. We're going to call that an interceptive prediction. You know that you feel an emotion because you feel physical sensations. You know that you feel anxious because you have tension in your body that you conceptualize based on the context as anxiety. Same thing for anger, something for depression. We know that you feel a certain way. We know that we feel a certain way because we feel a certain way in our body. This is interception. Now, when the brain is exposed to one or several elements, it doesn't matter if you remember consciously what they are or not to elements that were presenting an install of association. As I said, your brain is going to generate physical sensations. Interception a prediction, those physical sensations that lets you know how you feel. Is nothing else but an nowdated prediction. So during an ameres an emotional resolution session, what we will get to do is to retrigger very specifically an emotion for a client. At the beginning, the body is going to generate this interceptive prediction the current is going to feel some physical sensations. Usually, when we feel physical sensations linked to an emotion or at the base of an emotion, we control them. We breathe with stretch, we talk ourselves out of the emotion. Here, we're going to do the reverse. We're going to bring our attention to the physical sensations in a specific way, and we're going to keep our attention active in feeling the physical sensations as they change in our body. That's gonna take between two seconds and ninety seconds, never more. An emotion never lasts longer longer than ninety seconds in the brain. If I can stay attentive to the physical sensations in my body without trying to breathe stretch changing anything happening within me, so to be precise, if I can give my physical sensations as they change in my body without interfering with them, in a safe environment, in a safe environment, at the end of this indictor receptive interceptive prediction that never lasts longer than ninety seconds, my brain is anticipating to be hit by some kind of danger exactly as it happened during a specific dissociative event. Dissociative event while during a session, nothing happens at the end, I am second sound all right?
Speaker 1: And and in that process, you're what interrupting the pattern.
Speaker 2: In that process, you're actually allowing the pattern to be completely replayed without interfering with it, without stopping it whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Okay, give me, give me, give me a specific give me, give me a specific example. Maybe I walk into your office. I'm anxious, I am, I do have anxiety. So I am an anxious person. I don't know from an anxious person, but I definitely do have anxiety. But if someone walks into your office, what do you do? How does this work? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? So I will ask the person, if we could resolve anything within you today, what would that be? Okay, sh for me?
Speaker 1: Okay, I would say, I am very anxious about uh going to the dentist and getting a root canal.
Speaker 2: Okay, beautiful. That's very specific because here you're bringing a good point guy, which is we concept to as thing as anxiety. But the way that you feel when you go to the dentist and you call that anxiety might be very different from an anxiety that you feel before presenting in front of people or before meeting somebody new. So we've got to understand what specific anxiety we're resolving, because the label can be the same, but the feeding in the body might be very different. So here I understand that it's the anxiety that you feel when you have to get some dental work done perfect. That's going to be what we're going to be resolving today. At this point, I would ask you for a specific time when you fail this fear. Nothing traumatic. We never work with trauma in emerates. There's no point in revisiting any trauma because within a traumatic event, chances are your several dissociations. We always work with the way that the person is fitting today. We never talk about trauma in emotional resolution. So we'll ask you a moment when you fail this anxiety. Not because it went wrong at the dentist, No, no, I don't even want to know about that. I want to know a moment when you experien the anxiety that you don't want to feel anymore. And you will find a situation when you fail this anxiety that you don't want to feel anymore, and I will help you to replay that moment to relieve this moment when you fail the anxiety. We will relieve it together in a specific way. Your body will generate the same physical sensation that you feel usually when you feel this anxiety. At this point, I will support you to move all your attention on your body, on your physical sensations. You can have to feel several physical sensations at once, because if you only feel one sensation, the main one, it's not going to work. Your brain is going to hyperfocus, the sensation will probably increase and you will try to control it. So I will I will help you to feel several sensations at once and to do nothing with it, to just be attentive. Those sound sessions are going to move, they're going to change. It's important for me or for you to do nothing about it. They will evolve for about two to ninety seconds and at the end you will feel calm. We will check together that this type of event of event do not trigger those sound sessions anymore. They won't. And then I will ask you when you have to go see a doctor a dentist. The next time you say, well, i'll see one in two weeks. Then as meeting three weeks to make sure that it's gone, it will be gone. Wow Wow, and that's very specific, but it can be also for depression, it be for it can be for a latent anxiety. Right, it's we always take the person currently doing work with survivor of human trafficking in Africa and the impact of the work is beautiful. We also did a research for you CLA on physicians and nurses having high level of anxiety, being close to burnout and working in a very stressful environment comparing MREs to another modality, and you can see very clearly the study is going to be published by the end of the year. You can see very very clearly how the anxiety level tremendously go down working with emreates.
Speaker 1: So how does this How does the amress differ from say, other modalities.
Speaker 2: So it depends on modality we're talking about. But I think a couple of things. With emress we do not manage, we resolve. So the goal is reach to resolve an emotional difficulty. Then somebody is identifying so that the emotion doesn't come back anymore. With emress, we work on three levels of emotions conscious which is why people come to see us, you and me. For example, the depression and the anxiety. Things that are chronicote in our face, so that a conscious emotion for me. We work on unconscious emotion, which is more the emotion that we know are there but we don't want to look at so much because they don't fit very much with who we want to be in the world or who want the world to see. So these are the shame, the guilt, the self image emotions, et cetera. And we also work on subconscious emotions. Subconscious emotions so emotions that do not have a label because the sound sessions are not strong enough to be conceptualized, but the tensions and the body. So one other thing with MRS is we're going to work on those three levels of emotion. Another thing which differ with other more than it is is we never talk about the trauma. We don't need to know what the trauma was, and the person doesn't have to talk about a traumatic event in order to resumve. And another thing is we keep things very simple, like there is not a lot of theory. It's very pragmatic, very efficient, and it's extremely flexible in the way that therapists can use it within the practice. Coaches, etra, professional cops, et cetera, et cetera. Is very flexible.
Speaker 1: In terms of, you know, for example, not needing to talk about the trauma. There's varying you know, opinions on to what degree that is useful within the treatment of trauma. Why do you feel it's not useful especially useful, or helpful or necessary?
Speaker 2: There are several several reasons for that. One one of the main things that I say is trauma cannot be healed because trauma happened and there's nothing we can do about it. However, what can be healed other wounds than this trauma created in our life? And this is what we do with emers. When we talk about the trauma, we make it more real, we give it more more important, we give you more importance in our life. In in some cases we can become more attached to it as well.
Speaker 1: Give me one sure, sure we can, we can pass here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you very much. Okay, yes, we as sorry. I'm an invocation with my family in a hotel and I asked for like check out and they get the new oop I cannot hear you?
Speaker 1: Sorry about that? I said, Yeah, no worries. We can just easily edit this out. Okay, so continue, Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: We we we we don't go into the trauma because we don't want we don't want to make it more real. We don't want people to we don't want the client to be focusing on the trauma, but focusing on what is it currently in the life that they need to be shifted in order for them to feel more peace h And as as I mentioned earlier as well, often within the traumatic event, the person is going to experience several dissociations mm hm and and what creates the pattern all the dissociative the wind of the dissociation within the trauma. So talking about the trauma as as as the event is not going to be conductive in resolving the wounds and this trauma created. That's one of the few reasons. And there is more. Maybe we don't need to go into that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So as we kind of wind in down here, the Emotional Health Institute, you folks offer trainings, correct for whom? What do the trainings look like, how are they accessed, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So we are offering training on emotional resolution, and we're offering them to therapists, coaches, behavioral specialists, shop professionals, cups, firemen, whoever is working with people dealing with emotional difficulties. So it's it's very wide. We are offering the trainings.
Speaker 1: Go ahead again, No no, no, I'm just I'm just listening. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: We're offering the training on zoom. People can take it from all over the world really and we keep the training as compact as we can. So the whole certification process is about about five days. So three days be where we teach the base of the training, the base of MREs with the main the two main protocols. Then people have to experience in the practice. Then we have a module two or we call Module two, where we do case studies to notice what work but it don't work and navigate the difficulty. Then we have Module three which is two days and we do of course some navigating, some case studies, but also how to resolve are to resolve unconscious, unconscious feels, unconscious emotions. And then there is a certification process which is reviewing a session that a participant that's done, supervising the session and giving more tools. EMRESS is not just a protocol or two, it's a methodology. We develop several tools that allow to work with different people, different difficulties. So it's it's very it's very flexible and extremely efficient.
Speaker 1: Now is this for UH mental health therapists only?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, h. Professionals can come as well. Coaches come as well, very often, yoga teachers we have you goat teachers as well because emotion comes up in yoga. Mustache therapists is very very wide. So we have people from HR, we have therapists, we have coaches, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, well, okay, all right, Cedric, I think you didn't really good job of articulating what this does and how this is different from other modalities. How do people learn more about you? What's the best way?
Speaker 2: The best way is to go to Emotional Health Institute dot org or m REST dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll have our linked appear at the show notes page at the Trauma Therapist Podcast dot com. All right, Cedric, I appreciate you, Thank you very much. All Right, we'll be we'll be in touch.
Speaker 2: Take care,