Speaker 1: That's been going on over the last year or so. I am just excited to be able to be in here. Maybe you haven't. If you're new here, you haven't had me much in here. I've been in the back a little bit more with the kids, leading the most awesome children's ministry back there on the planet in the world. Amen, because of you and all that you do, and you're volunteering as well. But today we are going to focus on our missions. And you need to know that as you are coming to church and you're living your life and you're participating with what we do around here as a church. Are you never go to sleep? The sun never sets on the Kingdom of God here at New Horizon. How does that sound? Because you are finance, you're giving the things that you do go around the world and they're constantly at work. And I don't think any of us truly understand the full extent of our impact around the world. And we're just a little, itty bitty, teeny tiny church tucked away in five one, Washington. And if we are doing what we're doing, can you imagine the light of the Lord going forth out of all the churches around the world. Amen? God is good. His kingdom is on the move. And so here today I'm gonna share some things with you. I am sure hoping that you all got a magazine as you came through the door. Did you get a magazine? If you did not raise your hand, the ushers are going to bring you one, and you want to have one of these. This magazine is all about our missions, okay. So these are the things that we do, the people that we support, the different ministries locally and abroad. And the pictures, all the pictures in here are from us, from our teams, from things that we've done and that the missionaries that we do to have sent back. So everything no AI here people, no AI. So those are all real. I the picture on the front, I took that in Knackapir Piot up in the Caramel Jung tribe in the northern reaches of Uganda. So we have a very busy, wonderful missions department. I operate the Missions department with our Missions Board and this year it has been Sandy Simms, Karen Conley, Stephanie Owens, and Tammy Fawcett. And for various reasons, some Karen, the just various ones are stepping down. So I need a few more of you to step on up and help me out. It's not a huge commitment, so come up and talk to me afterwards if you might be interested in being a part of the missions board here at New Horizon. But I want to bring your attention to a few things in the magazine. At the very front page, there's a little magnet. So if this is your first time here doing missions with me, I'm going to give you a magnet. Every year, you're gonna take that magnet. You're gonna put it up on your refrigerator. You might have to tape it if you have a stainless steel refrigerator. Those things ruin magnets. Those that the whole magnet thing kind of went away when we got those fancy refrigerators. But also you can take it out and on the other side is a giving pledge card. I want to introduce you to that because the cool thing here at New Horizon is we have such a high percentage of our people that give above and beyond their tithe into missions, and our missions budget here this year is has been twenty fourth twenty four hundred fifty dollars, and we have been giving that away, sending that out every single month because you have been faithful. The cool thing is is that not only have you been faithful to your monthly pledge, but we've had people giving into missions here and there, and that has bumped my buffer up. And so we have had quite a bit of finance come in on missions. And I am so, so, so so proud of you. In fact, Devin, if you would go to the giving slide, I know I'm gonna. I gave him a list and a schedule of all the slides and I'm bouncing around. But here is the giving from you folks into missions. Do you see that slide, the giving slide? Devin, Yeah, there it is. Okay, So two four hundred and fifty dollars every month has come in and gone out. On top of that are projects that we have presented to you. Plus additional giving comes to one hundred and fifty five thousand dollars people come on for a total of one hundred and eighty four thousand dollars has gone through this church out into the world for missions. Let that sink in. Let that sink in. That sets this house apart. Because you have opened your heart up to be a generous spirit and looking around, I think that you're all still going to Starbucks, and I think you're all still eating, and y'all still have a house, a roof of your heads. Because the God of the universe has promised that when you have a generous heart, he blesses you back. And God is good. He's taken care of us, and through our hearts, through our hands, through our giving, we have been able to make that much impact. Amen. So that twenty four hundred and fifty that monthly support, I really want to bump it up. I want to bump it up to three thousand this year. I want to be able to increase what we give to our missionaries. Just like you know, inflation is hit, it's hit there and I want to raise that up. And I also our plan is to add a missionary. But before we go there, I want to show you the list of the ministries that we cover and we support every single month, So Devin, that will be our missionaries there we go. So those are twelve different missionaries and ministries that we give into on a monthly basis that are giving monthly keeps them doing their things monthly, and if we didn't, they would have to come home they'd have to quit cut, you know, do all the things, and but this is you, this is you, this is so you. Okay, So that that covers that. Yes, we want to add a new missionary this year and his name is Their names are Dennis and Anya Melnachuk, and they are in the wonderful country of the Ukraine. You can go to the picture that shows the side that shows their picture. Yeah, there you go. So they're friends of Roman and ENAs And a couple of years ago I got a knock on my office door and Roman was standing there and he said, hey, Pastor Joel, would you marry a couple for me? Okay, like right now, I don't typically do that. We have six months worth of pre marriage that we must go through and all the things. And he said, no, this is a couple that is being sent out on the mission field. They feel like now is the time to go. We just they feel like it has to be now. So they want to get married before they go, And so I performed wedding out in the foyer. Absolutely sent them to Ukraine just in time for the war to start. They were in place. They did tons and tons of work right in the middle, right in the heart. They would drive vans in and load up people as the bombs were falling and drive them to safety. They were taking out women, children, the elderly, they were feeding people. They just they hit the ground just in time. Everybody say amen, And so we want to start serving them and including them in our monthly support. And they have a video for us.
Speaker 2: Hi I knew Horizon Church. My name is Dennis Melnichuk. My wife and I are internople Ukraine and are doing a work here with orphan care. It's also with young adults. We're seeing the Lord doing an amazing thing in this country during this war, and we just want to thank you so much for your partnership. Every single month that you give and the help that comes through that has been really giving us the opportunity to change people's lives. Every single week, we have kids from the orphanage and kids who've aged out from the orphanages coming to us. We also are able to run conferences in schools. We have evangelism taking place almost weekly on the streets here, and we're seeing the Lord raising up with people that are hungry for the things of God. So even though we might not see these headlines on news. Ukraine is experiencing a move of God and you are a part of it. Thank you so much for your hand in the gospel. We bless you and we thank you for your partnership.
Speaker 1: All right, so are you in shall we add them to our list, our roster. Let's do it. Let's absolutely do it. Okay. So last year we love to do projects, you know me and my mission projects and every time you guys come through. So last year during the Mission series, I brought to you a young couple, a new pastoral couple that were from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, remember the DRC. And it was right at the time where just a week a couple of weeks prior, there had been a very heavy persecution breakout and I think ninety Christians were beheaded and all of the refugees from that area were running for safety, and they were coming right through where this sweet pastor Gotina was in the DRC, and they would be having church in a rental facility they didn't have. You know, when I say rental, it's just a little shack, right, And so they were crying out for land and a temporary structure and seed to start an agricultural program so that they could not only feed their own church members, but feed the refugees that were coming through. You raised up last year and you I was able to send finance to do that. So I want to show you some pictures of what you guys did last year. Okay, you ready. So there's a picture of a road there. Show the road. There is the road. The road is going out to the tract of land that we purchased, and I want you to see. It's kind of jungly, it's a little rough, that's what it looks like. Okay. So then go to the next picture. That is Pastor Goutina and the red sweatshirt there and they are clearing the land and they are planting their first crops. And this is vital that churches. Yes, churches have to be able to support themselves as well as have food to give. And you don't understand these places where we go to. They don't understand the idea of a grocery store. I was talking with one pastor. We were out in the bush and he was I said, what do you do during the week, and he goes, well, we're growing our food. You know, he was talking. It was all agriculture. He was talking about all the agricultural things. He said, well, don't you do that, don't you grow your own food? I'm like, not really, I just kind of go to the store. The store. Yeah, there's a store that has everything. Really, you know, it was the funniest conversation I've ever had, and it was you know, it was. It was difficult too because the language barrier. But anyway, I don't think we understand the viteleness of land for agriculture for these people. So go ahead to the next one. That was the first structure that he built. And he's been doing some schooling out of that, and he's been doing some teaching and some training. And then I heard I heard back from them the last couple of weeks ago, and they were getting ready. They were wanting to have church in their own structure, but the government, believe it or not, out there in the jungle, the government was requiring sixteen hundred dollars worth of fees before they could meet in their building. And I said, you've been waiting for sixteen They don't have six hundred dollars, but I did because you have been so faithful with your giving. I said, Annie, how much money do we have. She said, we got twenty four hundred dollars left in our mission's fund. I said, okay, serve it up. We're gonna send it off, right, And so we were able to send that money. And this next picture is their first church service in their building. Go to the next one. This was last week. This is what you did. Look at what you do. Look at you. So it's just I don't know about you, but you just gotta you gotta feel good about the Kingdom of God because it is making headway and making strides. So that was last year's project. Now I want to talk to you about a project this year. You're like, oh, I knew that was coming. Absolutely so last dessert dash in November. Well, in September we took a mission trip and we went up to the Carama Jung tribe in northern Uganda. We found a church. I'm going to show you in the video, and uh, well you know what, I'm just going to show you the video forget me talking, So go ahead and show the video. On this year's project Horizon Missions is on the Move.
Speaker 3: The twenty twenty five mission trip included a trip into Northern Uganda and the Caramel Jung tribe. This tribe is one of the most remote and unreached in Uganda, being so primitive, even the Ugandans avoid traveling into this region. When we visited the village of nakapir Pirit, we found great need as well as a very beautiful people. Their stories were filled with tragedy and suffering, yet it became increasingly apparent that God loved.
Speaker 4: Them and that God was the answer to their needs.
Speaker 3: Our vision for missions here at New Horizon is for community transformation that only the spirit.
Speaker 4: Of God can bring forth.
Speaker 1: We believe that it all flows out of the local church and the leadership of incredible pastors.
Speaker 4: Meet past our lineups.
Speaker 3: He and his family live in this beautiful compound in Nakapira Pirit.
Speaker 1: Not pastor Pastor sleeps here, but.
Speaker 4: Here is their incredible church.
Speaker 3: At the time of our visit, they were renting this land and gathering under the shade of this tree. Last November we raised funds to purchase this land and build a temporary church structure. The next step is to put in a water well to provide the miracle of clean water for this little church.
Speaker 4: Clean water is so vital to life and is so scarce.
Speaker 3: In Africa, people will walk miles each day for water. Wells become the gathering place for the whole community. When a well is not available, that people are forced to gather water from swamps and purify.
Speaker 4: It for daily use.
Speaker 3: Sicknesses and disease are rampant due to poor water quality.
Speaker 4: This well is vital for the practical things of life, but.
Speaker 1: Also becomes the Kingdom's calling card as the true church is then able to offer water for the soul.
Speaker 4: Let's jump in and.
Speaker 3: Make this miracle happen. The cost for this well is thirteen hundred dollars. This well will make a difference for many years to come. Thank you for partnering with us in this project. You want an opportunity to give health for the body and healing for the soul in this far away village called Knockapre of purit.
Speaker 1: Amen. That, by the way, was a well that you put in two years ago. So that well I love going to visit them, and all the people are coming from all over the place. We want to put this well right smack dab in the middle of where this church is going to be built. And because that way that when the community comes to find clean water they get also the water of life. Amen. And so we want the church, we want the Kingdom of God to be the center of all of that. This is how we transform communities. Amen. So that is something we're gonna do a little bit later on. I want you to be considering maybe what you might be able to give into this incredible project. Amen. All right, Well, we do things all over the world, but we also do things locally. I've had so many people come to me over the years and say, passer, Joe's so cool, will we do over there? But you know what, we need help right here. There's need right here.
Speaker 4: And I agree.
Speaker 1: And so we support quite a few local ministries. And one of them is a group that a couple that we sent out from New Horizon just a few years ago. So we have John and ste Soulier. They come on up. They are working through Wywham. They've been with y Wham working at maternity homes, keeping single moms out of the abortion clinic. Can I get a n Amen, keeping single moms out of the abortion clinic. And you know when they have no hope, they're going to go, Oh that way, that is such a welcoming, easy path. But these people have dedicated their lives to diverting that and helping single mamas, So let's hear from their heart.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having us, Thank you, Pastor Joel, and thank you for your heart for missions and for supporting missionaries. Just to share a quick story with you, a few years ago, I quit my job, the career I had been working for a really long time, to move into missions full time. At that point, I started to raise support for our family and reached out to people I was closest to. I was met with heavy skepticism. They asked really hard questions like how are you going to support your family? What about health insurance? And didn't you just quit your job and now you're asking for money. I was disheartened, to say the least, but God, a few weeks later, we came to church. Pastor Joel was preaching, and she was preaching a sermon called holding the Rope. It was it was a good one, I remember it. It was about the partnership between missionaries in the field and the home church supporting them. And I just wanted you to know how encouraged I was by that and how I just felt bold afterwards knowing that we had your support as well as the whole church behind us and the work we were doing. So thank you for that.
Speaker 4: So true.
Speaker 6: Our pastors, Pastor Jole and Pastor Dwayne. Seven years ago, we came here to this church and we were really looking to grow and be challenged and to learn more and have a deeper faith.
Speaker 1: And we've gotten that here.
Speaker 6: We've gotten that because we've had incredible leadership from both of you.
Speaker 1: Pastor Dwayne.
Speaker 6: One thing that I remember, I was on staff here actually for a while too, and my first day working here, I walked through the front doors on a regular Monday morning and Pastor Dwayne was vacuuming. And so I just want to sit point that out that this the way you've modeled servant leadership for us, has shown us how to live a laid down life. I've just shown us how to give and step in wherever you see the need. And we just thank you for that from the bottom of our hearts. Yeah, this church has been incredible to us. You are our family and we love you all. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And just to add to that, prior to coming here, we had been shopping churches for a while. We probably visited half a dozen churches and that's hard, and walking through the doors here for the first time, we could feel the presence of the spirit. And I remember being greeted as we enter the auditorium by this kind, sweet man named Maury. I went in to shake his hand and he just embraced me. He just grabbed me and just gave me this big hug. And I just knew at that moment that knew Horizon was our home church.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then Maury's with Jesus now, but some of you might remember him. So who's missing from us at the moment is the third party of our family.
Speaker 4: Arelli.
Speaker 6: Our son is five years old, and he also loves New Horizon Church. There's actually a couple photos coming. He also loves this church. He's served in this church. He's in pick one. He's been a greeter in this church. In the next one, he's also been an usher in this church. He's happily with Grandma right now having lunch. So as a family, we are just so blessed to be part of this family.
Speaker 1: We love you guys.
Speaker 6: What we are getting ready to do now and what I wanted to share a little bit more about is our calling and we found it. In fact, we realized it all of the sudden. One day, February first, twenty twenty three, that was the day as house parents in a maternity home, we welcomed our very first two pregnant mamas. And we've got a photo of those ladies. They're stunning. I know, yes, we we welcomed them, and they changed everything for us. What we thought was going to be like a transitional part time, like we were going to do this for a minute kind of thing became our calling for our life and our family. Being able to provide a home that welcomes moms that are experiencing hardships, trauma. They may be homeless, They may come from a past so that's very broken, could be addiction in their history. There could be all sorts of different things. But they have chosen life, and we love life, and we want to come around that. We want to support that. We want to give mothers that are choosing to carry on the life of that pregnancy to have a path of stability, to have a way to be protected and surrounded, and so they get to often live with us. And I've given tours to women who cry the moment they see the kitchen table, and I tell them that we eat meals together because they've never had that, and so being able to have a family come around them is amazing. I often tell people that the most important job in our house is my husband's being a house dad. Being a male father figure who loves the Lord is incredibly impactful. By him just being himself, He's changing lives and generations, and I truly believe that I love that we get to do this serving these mommies and all of their babies. The two that you're looking at there, they also gave us our very first grand baby girl and our very first grand baby boy, who was an angel baby, and his mama went on about a year later to have another child who is a beautiful, thriving little girl, and we do have a picture of them also, so this actually is both those same mamas, and this was just in February. We've gotten to come back and visit and we held a little family reunion. We had a bunch of ladies and their children come back and visit with us. And being able to walk alongside them even after they've left our home is incredible privilege. But what it's doing is it's really we want to show God's love. We want people to know that there's hope in Christ, that there is an anchor for your soul. And being able to share the Gospel, to share hope, to see lives transformed. It's amazing privilege and we are so honored to be part of it. God is moving and doing amazing things in their lives and in the other thirty two women that have also lived with us in the last few years. So what we're getting started now back here in the Northwest, Yay, so glad to be here. We have joined Road to Hope Maternity Homes. They for twenty seven years have had a maternity home in the Portland area. There is such a desperate need for more housing and so we have been invited and answered that with a big giant yes to help them open a brand new maternity home in Salem, Oregon where we will be able to serve more moms in need. Yeah, we're super excited. New Horizon. Thank you with this is our fourth year. You're in the Missions magazine. You can read more about us after the service because we're going to pay attention first. You can also stop by the table in the lobby. We would love to send you our once a month text update where you could just read more about what's going on and see what's happening at road to Hope Maternity Home. So thank you all so much. We'll see you out there after.
Speaker 1: All. Right, stretch your hands to them, Father in Jesus name, lor God, once again we set this incredible couple apart for you. In Jesus name, God, I pray that every need is met. Lord God, I pray right now that you are calling women into this house, into this home, and into these hearts. Lord God, you are preserving life in Jesus' name, and God, I thank you right now that theirs is not just a quick get that baby born and send them out, but they are going to parent these women and children into their futures in Jesus' name. And everybody said, Ameneluia, isn't it encouraging, so encouraging?
Speaker 4: Hallelujah.
Speaker 1: Well, I want you to pull your bibles out, and while you do, I want you to be considering once again your pledge card. I want you to be considering what maybe you could do for the project this year. We're gonna take some time at the very end, hopefully I'll have time, but I just yeah, missions I pray that your heart bursts for missions. I pray that our life swirl, that we are presently in that we are able to conquer it, live well, and have enough bandwidth to where we can do for others. Amen. Okay, So I want you to open your Bible to Genesis one one. You know, the question is is where to start, And so I start at the beginning, which is Genesis one one. I do that many times when I'm preaching. So Genesis won one. If we can get that up on the screens, I would appreciate it. It says, in the beginning, God created the heavens. Is it working, Devin, Genesis one one. In the beginning God created there you go, the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty. Darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the spirit of God hovering over the waters. And God said, let there be light, and there was light. Let's say that again. Let there be light, and there was Amen. So biblical scholars have always taught that whenever something is mentioned for the first time in scripture, you need to pay attention because it means something very important. And this verse theses are not only the first time that light and darkness and God are mentioned. This is the first time anything is mentioned, so this is the first mention of any mention. So we have to believe that there's something very powerful in these first three verses, and in these three verses is darkness, light and God. Darkness, light and God. Darkness is significant. Darkness has a very strong imprint in a human soul, the most primal fear of every human being. Though some of us have overcome it, you might still remember it's the fear the dark. Darkness has fear rooted in it. I don't know about you, but I remember being a little afraid of the dark, and my mom would come in and she'd flip the light on. It's like, oh, well, just my bathrobe. What am I thinking? Darkness? I told a story a couple of years back, So if this is the second time, just smile and nod and remember the story because it's a great one. But if this is new to you, then come along and enjoy. So a few years back, probably boy, it's probably been ten years now, I took our family, we all join and I and the kids went on a bike ride and we always love adventures. And on the border between Idaho and Montana, there's a bike trail called the Hiawatha Trail. Everybody has to try it once. So on the website it says though that you must have a light on your bike to do the trail. And the wolves are a little rogue, a little maverick, and you know, we kind of do things like yeah, right, but cooler heads tended to overcome the whole thing. And I won't tell you who that cooler head was. So we stopped at the dollar store and we bought some little flashlights and we duct taped them to our handlebars, and so we get to the top and it's a down downhill ride all the way down. And you start at the top of the mountain and you go through tunnels and you go over train trestles. It's actually really cool. Well, the tunnels are really fun, but there's one tunnel that's over a mile long and it's curvy, so we didn't really take that into account, and so the kids were turning on and off their flashlights and shining it, you know, and all the things. So when we came to that tunnel, I said, okay, everybody turn your flashlights on. Blink, and only one came on. So now we're down to one. We went from four to one, and the one was very dim and we got into the tunnel and we're going around the corners right now. Let me describe the tunnel. It's got about a six foot wide rock gravel road kind of thing, and there's big ditches on the sides like that deep like if you went into it, you would you would be painful. Right. The walls and the arch and the ceiling are just dynamite had blasted out granite, so it's all rough and get jagged, you know, and all this kind of stuff. You just don't want to touch it. Right, Drips of water are coming down kind of thing. So we're riding along. We got one little light and it's barely on, and so we're pedaling away and that person's up front and we're like me, and all of a sudden, that light goes out. Now we are in utter darkness, and all the fun is sucked out of the tunnel. There is no fun anymore. We stop, we can't make any forward progress. We're kind of with our toes going like this. All of a sudden there's fear. What if we fall into ditch? I don't know, maybe there was a curve. There's a curve coming up here pretty soon. But we don't know where the curve is, and so we're disoriented and we're confused and we don't know what's going on, and we're like'ful and it's weird, and the kids are you know, like you know, it's it was a moment, and so we're like, okay, guys, we just got to inch along. We just barely have to inch along. And so we're kind of doing our best, and I mean, it's black, you can't see your hand in front of you, and all of a sudden, up from behind us comes another little bicycle rider and they had obeyed. They had a light, and so they came up and we're like, don't say nothing, don't hurry up, kids, let's go. And so we we platstered ourselves right behind them, like we're not here, don't notice us, but don't go too fast because we got to stay right with you. And so we were right on their heini and we made it through. Hallelujah. Light changed everything. When we had light, it was fine. The light goes out, darkness, fear, disoriented, confused, not knowing what's going on. Light comes along and all of a sudden, Wow, this isn't half bad. We can do this. We know where to go, We can see our future. Did you know that light carries all beauty? Did you know that if you did not have light, you would never see beauty? Think about that. Did you know that light carries all color? If you didn't have light, you wouldn't have color. Did you know that light carries all life? If we did not have the sun shining every day, the food chain would be interrupted and we would all die. Light carries life like life. Light is essential. The speed of light is a constant that the physics of the entire all the laws of physics rest on the constant of the speed of light. Einstein's theory of relativity is m e equals mc squared. Energy equals mass plus constant changes. Mass changes, but the constant never changes. What is that constant number, It's the speed of light. Light undergirds the very foundations of all the physics of the universe. Light is essential. Light is the most incredible thing, and we take it so for granted. Light is created from God. It's rooted in God, and it's sustained in God. Darkness is the absence of light and my final thing that I will just declare even now before we go any further. Light always wins. Have you ever seen darkness like beat up light? Does darkness ever come in and turn off the light? No, you turn on the light. Darkness flees. Light always wins. Light always wins. So that's Genesis one one. Now I'm going to get you all the way up to Jesus because that's where we got to go, right. So all through the Old Testament, light is important. Light is a central theme. You got the burning bush, You got the pillar of fire that led the children of Israel in the night darkness in the wilderness and gave them trust and safety. You got the light and the power and the fire and the glory that fell when Solomon dedicated the temple, and that light came down in and it resided in the temple, and the people of God could come to the temple and they could see and sense the light of the presence of God. So from Solomon's temple, it's a thousand years before Jesus shows up, and some things happen in Israel between when the temple is filled with the light and the glory of God and Jesus some things happen, and there was a moment in time. Ezekiel tells us that in the Temple of Solomon that glory light lifted and left, and from that point on the light in the temple is just human made four hundred years of silence from God, Jesus comes on the scene, and in John chapters seven and eight, it's the story of Jesus where he finds himself in Jerusalem during the week of the Feast of Tabernacles, where they light a huge candelabra at the front of the temple to remind the people of the pillar of light that led them. But at the end of the night they blow out the candles and the temple becomes eerily dark. Well, on the last night, Jesus stood in the courts of the temple, in front of the Temple of God and made an audacious claim. He said to them, he said, I am the light of the world. He said that I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life. And when Jesus declared that, he set off a firestorm. The religious leaders and the government people of the day heard that, and they started like gnashing their teeth, and they came up to him, and they began to fight him, and there was a clash. When Jesus declared he was the light of the world, he came up against darkness. The darkness thought it had won. The darkness put Jesus on the cross and then into the tomb. But I am here to say that the light always wins. And Jesus rose from that grave and with healing power in his hands. But I will tell you that was an audacious claim. I am the light, not just of Israel, not just of the Jewish people. But Jesus declared he was the light of the world, the entire world. And then before he was put on that cross, he made another audacious claim. He got up in Matthew five, verses fourteen and sixteen through sixteen. Can you give me that, Devin? He said, you are the light of the world. Another audacious claim. What in the world, Jesus, you be the light of the world. Will just take your light? And Jesus said, absolutely not. He said, I'm flipping it now and I am going I am here to say that you are the light of the world. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead, they put it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise the Father in heaven. This is the heartbeat of missions. Jesus is the light up against darkness. He walked this face of the earth, and he did his thing. And when he died and went to heaven, he declared that all authority has been given to me in heaven and in earth. And I say to you, now, you are the light of the world. Go and make disciples of every nation. You are the light of the world, not in and of yourself. It's the light of the Kingdom inside of you. You no longer live, but Christ lives in you, and He is our hope of glory. You are me us. We are the light of the world, and we must be that. We must be that. I'm gonna tell you a missionary story. Do you mind. I'm gonna be a few minutes late. We're gonna go a little bit late. Just be prepared. Yeah, everybody's like, oh boy, what's she gonna do to me. Oh, you're gonna love every minute of it. Okay, you ready. You are the light of the world. I am the light of the world. There was a Massi warrior in Eastern Africa. Now I've been able to be around these Massi warriors. Look them up. They're very fierce. They're warlike, they are vicious, they are violent. They know how to kill, and they know how to keep a grudge. They are not what you would say kind. Have you met the Massi? Absolutely am I right in what I'm saying. Yeah, they're from Kenya, So the Messiah are all in Kenya. They come down into Uganda, and I believe they're in Tanzania too. So there's a guy, one of the warriors, his name is Joseph. He's walking down the road and he's kind of a leader in his village, a Messiah warrior. It's all he's lived, it's all he's known. Someone we don't know who this person is, stops him on the road, the dusty road, and shares the gospel. How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news? How will they know unless they hear? How will they hear unless someone is sent? So he's walking down the road. Somebody shares the gospel. His heart leaps. No, people, you don't understand. It's not like this man was raised in church. This man was raised with a spear in his hand. His heart leaps, his heart is stirred, his heart has changed. He receives Jesus and they sit and they talk, and just this exchange happens. And the first thing that goes into Joseph's mind is, I gotta share this with my gosspel, with my tribesmen. This happened about twenty years ago. This is recent. So he goes into his village and he starts going knocking door to door. Hey, and he starts sharing the gospel. But he's not met with the same reception that he had for it. He's met with kind of a hardness. And he goes from house to house, and after about four or five houses, all of a sudden, the men of the village come out, grab him, throw him to the ground, hold him down. The women get barbed wire and start thrashing him until he passes out. They drag him out of the village and leave him to die. Miraculously, he does not die. He recovers, he wakes up he comes back to consciousness, He's able to drag himself to water, and by the time, once his wounds were healed enough to be able to get up, he thought to himself, maybe I didn't share g Jesus correctly. Maybe I'm gonna try it again. So he gets up. This is a true story. I'll show you the articles that talk about this. He goes back into the village and preaches Jesus. Those same men grab him, throw him to the ground. The women come around and thrash him with barbed wire, ripping open those freshly closed wounds. He passes out again. They drag him out and leave him to die, but the light of the kingdom is insight of him. He comes back to consciousness, and when he is able and gathers enough strength, he says, one more time. My people must hear about this. They are living in great darkness. And so he goes back into the village and he shares one more time. One more time. They throw him to the ground. They get out their barbed wire, but this time the last thing he sees before he passes out is that the women are beginning to weep. And when he comes back to he is actually in their arms as they are nursing him back to health. And as soon as he comes back to they said to him, Joseph, what is it that has helped you through this? What is your message? We want what you have. And their entire village came to Christ the light, the light. He was the light for his village. And let me tell you something, people of God. Joseph, his light was not on a dimmer switch when it gets tough. His light was on. And I want to encourage every single one of you. You are the light to your world. And when we do things with missions, we're being the light to the world. But I am here to say that you are the light of your world and you are in conflict with darkness, and it's God. It's God that gives you the strength and the power to move darkness because light always wins, always wins. Thank you Jesus. Remember go into all the nations and disciple them. I'm going to close with this. You are the light of the world. You are the light in your world, You are the light in your family. You are the light. But you're not just the light for your little patch. Don't forget you're the light of the world. Missionaries have been going out since the Apostles, missionaries have been going out shining their light in the midst of darkness. I could tell you story after story after story. I love missions stories. But the question is, after two thousand years have things changed. What's been the effect. They did a huge study, believe it or not, let me read this to you. This was just recently in the last few years, at the end of a decade long statistical analysis of the health and development of nations. So the whole point was to figure out how low income, poverty level nations can actually rise up. Is it through the government, is it through NGOs? Is it through money? What is it? What a need to rise up? Sociologists Robert Woodbury and his fifty person research team, and this is a decade long long analysis published a shocking discovery. Missionaries are actually the greatest catalysts in the development and stability of nations. Go figure. In an interview that he gave, he said that areas were Protestant, and these missionaries, they're not just any missionary. They're conversionary Protestants who preach the Gospel with the intent of converting others and forming churches, who encourage everyone to read the Bible in their own local language. So therefore missionaries are writing languages for just verbal languages. They don't have a written they're doing that. They're doing it in the Bible. The people are learning to read and write. This is what missionaries are doing. He says that areas where Protestant missionaries had a significant presence in the past are on average more economically developed today, with comparatively better health, lower infant mortality, lower corruption, greater literacy, and greater educational attainment, especially for women. The church and missions has been making a difference in the nations over hundreds of years. You need to read these articles because it is just impactful the way they came to this conclusion. And this was not a Christian study. It's the light of the kingdom. When set against the kingdom of darkness and God is presiding over it, light always wins. And this is missions. Would you with me pull out your Missions pledge card? Would you with me consider We're gonna I'm gonna give you opportunity over the next three weeks, but I'm gonna give it to you today because what if you don't come back next week. I want you to consider and uh, ushers, would you bring some buckets up front? I want you to consider what could you do, What could you do on a monthly basis for this coming year? What could you do twenty forty fifty one hundred for the spread of the gospel, for the support of the missionaries. And then lastly, also, would you consider giving into our project here today? Maybe you might not be here next week and you're gonna need to do that, or go ahead and go home, think about it, and come back next week and give double how's that sound because you're gonna think about it and it's gonna go up. Amen, you are the light of your world. Turn that dimmer switch all the way up. When you are opposing darkness, light always wins. Please know that let's all stand missions. We love missions. Put your hand over your heart Father and Jesus name God. I pray right now that the hearts of this body, this church beats with your heart. Father God. Jesus is the light of the world, and he is in me, and he has declared over me that I am the light of the world. Father God, I pray right now that my heart is aware. It beats with hope and with faith. It beats with generosity. It beats with love for every nation across the planet. And Lord God, I thank you right now that every missionary that's out there even now, in every nation, their needs are met, their prayers are answered, their desires are realized, their vision is accomplished in Jesus's name. And everybody said, Amen, have Alujah, get the Lord a hand.