Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Path Went Chile for part two of our series about the murder of Alonzo Brooks. Robin, do you want to catch everyone up on what we talked about in our previous episode?
Speaker 2: Well. This case was featured on the Netflix reboot of Unsolved Mysteries in an episode titled No Ride Home. It involves a mixed race man named Alonzo Brooks who was twenty three years old at the time and was living in Kansas. He decided to accompany some friends of his to a party in a very small rural town called Lacene on April third, two thousand and four. Do to a SER's and miscommunications, Alonso never did get a ride home. His friends gradually left throughout the night, assuming that Alonzo would get a ride with somebody else, but instead he wound up vanishing without a trace. When his family went to the area to search, they found Alonzo's hat in his boots located in separate ditches at the end of the driveway near the farmhouse where the party had took him place, so the instantly became concerned. Once the search was launched for him, they were unable to find anything, but then when Alonzo's family did their own search twenty seven days after he originally disappeared. They wound up discovering his body in a creek which was very close to the farmhouse, and this creek had already been searched before by an underwater rescue and recovery team who were absolutely certain that if Alonzo had been there the entire time, they would have found him. So this led to speculation that he may have been planted there at a later time, and that perhaps his body was kept in the freezer for a couple weeks because he had very little sign of decomposition, He did not have any noticeable injuries. He only appeared to have decomposition on his neck, so as a result, the original medical examiner was unable to determine his exact cause of death, so it was officially listed as undetermined. It was featured on Unsolved Mysteries in twenty twenty, and by that point the FBI and the Department of Justice had gotten involved started to investigate it as a potential hate crime because this was a predominantly white air area and there were rumors that Alonzo had gotten into a fight at the party, that people had used a racial slur in his presence, or that he had been hitting on a white girl, but none of these rumors were actually confirmed. After the Unsold Mysteries episode aired, the investigation got new tips, so they decided to exume Alonzo's body and perform a new autopsy. And while details are vague and very secretive, the FBI did confirm that they found new evidence that conclusively proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Alonzo was the victim of a homicide. So his death was officially reclassified and is being investigated at as a murder. But it's been a couple of years now they're having any new developments in quite some times, so at this particular moment, Alonzo's murder is still officially unsolved. So honestly, before Alonzo's death was reclassified as a homicide, I had mixed feelings about the case following my initial viewing of the Unsaw Mysteries episode. On one hand, I seriously doubted that this was a simple case of an intoxicated man wandering away from a party and dying of exposure. It did make a whole lot of sense to me that Alonzo would leave the farmhouse walk to the end of a long driveway, remove both of his boots, toss them each into separate ditches, and then walk back onto the property in the opposite direction towards Middle Creek. Admittedly, people can do incredibly strange and a logical things when they're drunk, but I had a hard time believing that his body could have been missed at that location for nearly an entire month. Of course, we covered a number of other cases where people of God missing in a rural or wilderness area and the remains were mist in the initial search effort, only for them to be discovered in the same area months or even years later. If Alonzo's search effort had only been conducted by a small town police department who were inexperienced at this sort of thing, I could give them the benefit of the doubt that they missed his body. But this particular search involved the KBI, the FBI, and an underwater rescue and recovery team who were specifically trained at this sort of thing. Members of this team were even interviewed on UNSAWD mysteries, and they seemed pretty certain that if Alonzo had been on the creek bank the entire time, they would have found him. While they certainly could be capable of making mistakes. I think it says something that when Alonzo's family, who were not trained at this sort of thing, performed their own search of the property, they came across his body within half an hour. But while the Unsolved Mysteries episode left me with the impression that something strange occurred and that Alonzo may have been the victim of foul play, my biggest issue is that I cannot figure out how he was killed or why his body would be concealed for twenty seven days and planted near the creek.
Speaker 3: Okay, so super bizarre. The idea of this body not being there for twenty seven days, like you talked about, could it have been frozen? Was it simply just overlooked? You know, they described having to cut back brush before they found it. Is it possible that it really was just hidden really well, and maybe an animal had pulled it a few feet which made it more exposed. But remember when you first were describing the day that the family went back the first day after he was missing, and they went back to look around this area and found his boots in his hat. You remember that guy that was on the ATV and ran them off and told him to get off to the property. If there had been a party at my house and you said, hey, my son is missing, our best friend is missing. He was here last night, I would I'd meet you with grace and compassionate and be like, oh man, I'm so sorry. I haven't seen anything. If I do, I'll make sure you know to call you. Can I get your number. But there was like an anger and a protection of that property when it had been so open to people just the evening before, So that's quite suspicious as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it's ever been conclusively established who the guy on the ATV was, because we mentioned in our last episode that this house was a rental and that it was rented by four young males in their twenties, but I don't know if they were there at that particular point. I don't know if the guy on the ATV was one of the four young males, but he obviously he didn't take very kindly. I know this was an area not known for the best race relations, and that at least one of Alonzo's friends in that day was black, so maybe that's why I had a problem with him being on the property. But It's easy to assume that if something ne faris happened to Alonzo, that maybe some sort of cover up was taking place, and that's why these people did not want his friends anywhere near the property.
Speaker 1: And so his body shows up on those banks. There's a question of whether or not it was frozen, because there's minimal decomposition. Is it possible that pretend somewhere on this property he was held for like X amount of days and then say he'd only been dead for a short while and his body was dumped at a later date, rather than him being killed right away and being put into a freezer and then disposed of the creek right before the search party.
Speaker 2: I think that's possible, because I don't think anyone has ever determined Alonzo's exact time of death. I mean, I know that doctor Mitchell, the original medical examiner, believed he had been at the creek the entire time, but it is possible that he was alive or kept in captivity for a couple of days before his body was planted at a later time. I know we talked about in our last episode the Kurt Sava case for Unsolved Mysteries, where there was always speculation that he got alcohol poison and he was kept in the basement of the duplex where the party attended was being held in hopes that he would nurse back to health. But then he died and that's why they decided to dump his body in ravine. So, for all we know, Alonzo still could have been alive and being kept somewhere during the time period his friends were searching the property.
Speaker 3: Well, let me play Devil's advocate with that. Remember when his bodi's found, there's no bruising, there's no sign of any kind of damage to the body. If you were a sober grown man and you're being held against your will, don't you think there would have had to have been some kind of restraints used against you, some type of physical altercation to get you into submission, to be quiet, to be held. Don't you think he would have fought physically to get out of a confined space. I'm thinking you might have seen signs of that on his body if he truly was being held against his will. And remember, he's wearing the same clothes he was wearing the night of the party.
Speaker 1: But what if they used a paralytic that they didn't know to test for because they just would probably do a standard panel for toxicology, would they not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they haven't really released many details about what they found during the toxicolity you've results, so I'm willing to think that if he was given something like a paralytic that it could have been missed during the original autopsy.
Speaker 1: So the theory pushed forward by Alonzo's family is that when Lynn County Sheriff Marvin Stitz granted them permission to search the property, word got back to the people who were responsible for Alonzo's death, so they responded by placing his body on the creek bank for the family to find. But where did they keep the body for nearly a month? The mild level of decomposition on Alonzo's body really seems to go against the idea that he was lying out in the elements for weeks, and since he was carrying personal possessions which should not have noticeable water damage, it's unlikely that he was submerged in Middle Creek. This is why a theory has spread around that the body was kept inside a freezer for a few weeks, And I think one of the reasons this rumor caught buyer is because a prominent family from the area who were suspected of being complicit in Alonzo's death apparently owned a restaurant with a large freezer. All that being said, it would be incredibly risky and brazen to store a body of a murder victim at your place of business. In fact, why even hold onto the body to begin with. Lacine is surrounded by a lot of open land, so there would be plenty of spots to bury a victim and ensure he would never be found. But then perhaps the responsible parties felt that if Alonzo continued to remain a missing person, people would keep returning to the area to keep searching for him for years to come, so they felt they should leave them something to find.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, I hate to break this to you guys because you're from Canada, but US Americans are food loving mongrels, and it is no surprise if you walk into someone's house and they have a large, deep freezer, especially if you live in an area like we do, where hunting, fishing, those kinds of things are common. You'll have someone who has, you know, a deer head sitting in their freezer forever, or even in the freezer. Right, So I mean, I think a deep freezer. It would be kind of normal to think that you have a deep freezer. My poor mama still hoards freezer food, like she's feeding twenty people and it's just her and my dad. So it's this like nine foot deep freezer. I'm like, what are you? What's in there? You know? And there's a lock on it, which makes it really fun. But yeah, I think that the place that they were rinning could have easily had a deep freezer, or another farm, you know, two doors down where another kid lives, could have had a deep freezer. So it would not surprise me if it was more common than not in this rural area for families to have a deep freezer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm thinking that if of this family that was believed to be responsible had a deep freezer at one of the residents or at a farm, that's probably more believable than literally putting a Lonzo's body at the restaurant where people are going in and out all the time. Of course, until the most recent autopsy, one of the biggest issues with the homicide theory was that there did not appear to be any noticeable injuries on Alonzo's body or anything to indicate his exact cause of death. Doctor Eric Mitchell, the forensic pathologist who perform the original autopsy, acknowledged that he could not rule out the possibility of drowning or strangulation, but he did seem to feel that the evidence supported the idea that Alonzo's body had been lying on the creek bank the entire time he was missing. But while Mitchell was Douglas County Corner at the time he examined Alonzo, he does have a pretty controversial background. Before he relocated to Kansas, Mitchell had worked in upstate New York as the Onondaga County Medical Examiner, but resigned from his position in nineteen ninety three over allegations of his conduct as His offenses included harvesting organs from deceased victims without the consent of their families and improperly storing skeletons and body parts inside his office. Mitchell has also been at the center of a wrongful conviction case from Douglas County, as a daycare worker named Carroty Buckhorn was charging convicted of second degree murder for her ledged role in the death of a nine month old infant named Oliver Ortise. The conviction was made possible by doctor Mitchell's testimony as he believed that Oliver had a skull fracture which was caused by his head being stepped on. But it would later come out that the boy actually died from congenital heart disease and there was never any foul play, So Bockcorn's conviction was overturned and she was released from prison after serving four years for a crime that never happened. So this obviously shows that Mitchell has some credibility issues and that he could have made mistakes during his autopsy and Alonso and missed something which showed that he was the victim of a homicide. All we know about the second autopsy from the Armed Forces medical Examiner is that Alonzo had injuries which were quote unquote inconsistent with normal patterns of decomposition. If I had to make an educated guess, I think that Alonso may have had injuries to his neck, as Mitchell even acknowledged that he couldn't rule out the possibility of strangulation. A Lonzo's body was found, the soft tissues of his neck were gone due to decomposition and damage from animals and insects. If Alonzo had some noticeable wounds on his neck when his body was placed on the creek bank. Then it's only natural that this would be the first spot that scavengers feasted upon, So I would not be surprised if the second autopsy found evidence of damage to Alonzo's neck. I don't know how true this is, but it's worth mentioning that one of the many unconfirmed rumors which is spread around the community is that a shot collar or nearly used to train dogs, was placed around Alonzo's neck in order to torture him.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, that's horrible to think about, and that could lead to what Jules was saying, where you have that he was maybe held against his will. But also, remember we talked about on the last episode, it's also possible that the FBI uncovered information that told them more that said, hey, go look at the back right of his head, Go look behind his ear, go look at at his elbow, and this is what happened. And you could have someone who had given such specific information that a relook at the body then showed a very different story because they had very specific information, and or, like you said, you simply have someone who was caught with misconduct and making you know, really wrong claims that had some big consequences relocate to this tiny town and he's just not as attentive as he should be and or makes assumptions to quickly clear his desk off, or he didn't have the information that would have allowed him to find this damage as well. So tons of options of what could have really happened when you look at the discrepancies in the autopsies.
Speaker 2: I mean, theoretically, if the rumors are true that this was a hate crime, then one possible manner of death could have been hanging, and maybe someone like lynch Alonzo or hung him from somewhere or broke his neck. And when they performed this new autopsy, that's when they discovered evidence that this might have take place. And all this evidence might have been concealed because of the decomposition and because the animals feasted upon his neck and maybe concealed any injuries he might have received.
Speaker 1: That makes me shudder, and it makes me think of Keith Warren for me too.
Speaker 2: I just thought of Keith too.
Speaker 1: Another potential issue with the foul play theory is the idea that Alonso could have been killed at the party in the presence of several witnesses, and they have all somehow managed to keep their mouths shut about it for over twenty years. Of course, there have always been allegations that this cover up was made possible because the responsible parties had ties to local law enforcement, but I'm not sure that's an entirely fair assessment. The Lynn County sheriff at the time was Marvin Steitz, who has since passed away and is no longer a round to comment on the case, but the Brooks family did not have many flattering things to say about him on the Unsolved Mysteries episode. On the one hand, he did not seem to take Alonzo's disappearance all that seriously at first, and if he really did try to imply that Alonzo left the party, took off his boots, and attempted to walk back to his home forty seven miles away, then yes, that's pretty ridiculous. But on the other hand, Stites did contact the KBI for assistance only four days after Alonzo went missing, and of course the rumors about a potential hate crime soon led to the FBI becoming involved in the investigation. If Stites was attempting to orchestra to cover up to protect Alonzo's killers. I have my doubts that he would bring in all these outside law enforcement agencies so quickly. It's also worth noting that, even though Lcine is a very small town, Alonzo's death was not the only high profile criminal case to occur during that time period. Notorious serial killer John Edward Robinson happened to live on a farm near Lycine and was arrested there only four years earlier in June two thousand. Robinson is currently serving multiple life sentences in prison and was responsible for the murders of at least eight victims, two of whom were found inside some chemical drums on his property. Marvin Stites was still Lynn County Sheriff at that time, so he was no stranger to bringing in outside agencies like the KBI and the FBI when the investigation was too large for him to handle. It's yet to be conclusively proven if Alonzo's death was actually a hate crime, but even if it wasn't, these rumors have helped ensure that the FBI is continuing to take the case seriously.
Speaker 3: And let's assume that Marvin Stites was covering for somebody I guarantee you the moment that those external agencies came in, they were not covering for anyone, and so they have nothing to gain by covering up a violent crime. They have nothing to gain by protecting law enforcement that might be crooked. And so I think that that kind of shatters that myth and that that idea behind it case. But it does make sense when the family's frustrated in and angry at stites. First of all, think about the emotional component. I'm telling you my son's missing. You didn't react. What if you had reacted sooner, would he still be alive. There's that kind of emotional weight that comes with an investigation like this. And also when you don't have an offender to blame, you start to blame everyone else. When I would work with cold case families, they would say, you know, I hate to say it, but at some point I blamed my son or I blamed my husband. Why were they out that late? Why did they go to the party. Then I blamed myself. Why did I let them go to that party? Why did I not shut it down? Why didn't I say yes, let's go to dinner instead? I blamed law enforcement. I blamed the friends. So when you don't have a target to say I will now hold you accountable and you're responsible for choosing to take the life of my son, then all of a sudden, I need to direct that anger towards someone to have a fair narrative. And so oftentimes, if law enforcement has not solved the case, they become the person held responsible for this being an unsolved murder, and it would likely feel that they don't care enough, or they didn't try hard enough, or it would have been solved. So that's I think a very natural reaction for a family to have, even if law enforcement had been working very hard to solve this case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would make sense because we just brought up the possibility that maybe Alonso was not killed on the same night he went missing, that he was being held in captivity and was alive for a few days, in which case, perhaps if Sheriff Stites had taken his disappearance more seriously at first, they might have been able to find him or rescue him while he was still alive. So I can imagine like his family totally second guessing everything all these years later because it's still unsolved and Sheriff's Sites has become the target of some of the wrath. I know that many of Alonzo's friends and family members have always believed that racism played a role in his death, as we have how the account from his brother Billy and sister in law Cindy that people were looking at them very strangely while they were searching through Lacene. During the Unsolve Mysteries episode, there was a vivid moment when Alonzo's friend Rodney English, who also happens to be black, revisits the spot where he found Alonzo's hat and boots and then tells the camera crew that he needs to get out of there because he doesn't feel safe at all. Rodney, as well as Alonzo's family, have always felt a lot of resentment towards Alonzo's friends for leaving him behind at the party. Since all these other friends were white, I get the sense that Rodney believes they severely underestimated the racial tension surrounding Alonzo's presence that night and should never have left him alone in such a potentially hostile environment. And while Alonzo is known for being a very sweet and easygoing guy who got along with everyone, it also sounds like he would show no hesitation to confront someone if they used a Rachel slur in his presence. But if Alonzo was murdered at the farmhouse, how would these events have played out?
Speaker 3: Okay, to defend the friends, I think there's a naivity. There's you're pretty naive when you are someone who doesn't understand what it's like to be the minority. So if you know, Alonzo and I are friends and Alonzo's just my best buddy, you know, people say like, oh, I don't see the fact that he's not like me racially, right, Like I don't see that this is my friend who's you know, a black man. It's just Alonzo, right, And I'm just justin like, it just is what it is. But as kids and when they're not paying attention to the community, the circumstances, how other people react. Not everybody has the same mentality or relationship with Alonzo like these boys did. But I truly believe that those boys were just ignorant to the fact that when Alonzo leaves the safety of that group and he's a minority at a party where it's not a welcoming group necessarily, or there's these underlying currents of racist tendencies that the friends don't pick up on that Alonzo could have, and then he's left in this situation regardless with these people who don't have his best interests at heart. But I truly believe his poor friends were just like, yeah, it's Alonzo, Like we didn't even we weren't even thinking that these are some young kids going to a party to drink and being silly and pretty flippant with who's going where and when. So I don't know, I just have a lot of sympathy for the fact that these are young kids who didn't pay attention to things that they very likely should have.
Speaker 1: They got a lot of criticism too, Like I can think back to parties that I went when I was in high school or my early twenties, and like you'd mentioned earlier, ash when you're like, oh, I'm fine, you just leave me behind, where either I was the person who said that or I ended up leaving because friends were like, no, no, we want to stay. And you just have this presumption that everything is going to work out okay, because you always think that it was at that age until it doesn't. And then, like you said, these kids, they've just got all of this scrutiny, and they're getting criticized by so many people. But I do think it was a brave thing to go on Unsolved Mysteries and to put yourself out there, and I do think that it shows that they do care about Alonzo. And although his one friend may have a story that changes in places, I think that, like Robin had mentioned earlier, it could be that he was driving drunk that night. Just because he may come off as looking deceptive doesn't mean that he's being deceptive because he did something to Alonzo.
Speaker 2: And I do think they do seem genuinely remorseful and distraught that Alonzo died under their watch during their Unsolved Mysteries interviews, and that it still haunts them to this day.
Speaker 3: Be shame and guilt and blame and all kinds of stuff that they hold on themselves. So and like I said, you know, at forty one, looking back at assumptions, attitudes, ignorance that I had when I was twenty twenty five, five twenty eight, I'm a very different person now and I understand the world more now, but back then you don't. And so I just see this group of friends who said let's be stupid and go to this party that they thought was going to be a tiny party. It ends up kind of falling apart and everybody ends up almost miscommunicating what's going on. And I just think it's a sad, sad situation. And you have tons of victims in this case, because no one's life when your best friend goes missing and then this found murdered, no one's life is the same after that. The guilt you would carry for and in feelings you would carry for his poor parents and his siblings and those kinds of things, even though you aren't to blame, that would change the whole trajectory of your life.
Speaker 1: While The Unsolved Mysteries episode features interviews with three of Alonzo's friends who attended the party with him, Justin Spragge, Daniel Thun, and Tyler Bogard, though we know there were other friends who went with them and did not appear on camera. The story goes that they decided to the night celebrating because one of these friends was leaving to join the military. But what's frustrating is that it's never been made clear why they decided to leave Gardner and travel to this particular party. In the scene, since Alonzo was described as being more of a homebody. His family was a bit surprised that he even wanted to go to the party, so I get the impression that this was not his idea and he just wanted to tag along with his other friends. While their identities have never been made public, this farmhouse was being rented by four young males at the time, but it sounds like they weren't really living there per se, and just decided to use the location as a party house, which wound up attracting people from outside the area since it was an ideal spot for underage drinking. While Alonzo was twenty three, he was actually a few years older than most of his other friends from this group, who were technically not the legal drinking age yet. I've read that one of Alonzo's friends had a loose connection with one of the four individuals renting the farmhouse, and they had once gone to the same high school together, so this might explain how they found out about this party to begin with, even though it took place nearly fifty miles away from where they lived. Now, he goes without saying that Alonzo's friends have received a lot of criticism for leaving him behind at a party, and some online sloops have gone so far as to accuse them of being responsible or being involved in Alonso's death. At the very least, there's been suspicion that these friends have never told the whole truth about what actually happened. But it's worth noting that they were extensively questioned and investigated by law enforcement who've never publicly stated that they believe any of them are withholding information. And while I would certainly find them guilty of being young, drunken, irresponsible, I would stop short of accusing them of being complicit in a murder.
Speaker 3: Imagine being question by the police when you went to this party, Like what if there was weed at the party?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: What if they were going out to meet some girls and the girls ended up being underage? Or what if there had been something that was nefarious and not legal. But you're just stupid and young, and you're going, oh my gosh, they're questioning me about my missing friend, and I'm going to just kind of be tight lipped and try to answer questions about Alonzo specifically and kind of elude other information, like I was drinking and driving. I'm not going to tell them that I had smoked some weed. I'm not going to tell them that. And I think at some point, you know, investigators down there like, listen, I do not care about anything else right this second. I don't care if you were high as a kite. I don't care if you were doing cocaine. I don't care if you were selling drugs. I don't care if you were having sex. I don't care. The only thing I'm asking you for is tell me the truth about Alonzo. And I guarantee you by the time they get there, with these young, scared kids, they're able to get the best version of what they can remember that night about what happened to Alonzo. So did they come on off suspicious? Did their stories change? I bet their stories did change. I bet they did evolve because they got more comfortable, they remembered more things. You know, there's a chance that at some point they talked to each other and get called back to the police department. They're like, oh man, do you remember this? Oh yeah, I remember, I forgot about that. So stories do change, and it's not always because someone's involved and didn't want to tell the truth about the situation.
Speaker 2: So the very least I think you can cut some slack with Daniel Foon and Tyler Bogard as they both said goodbye to Alonzo when they left the party, and said that nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Since Justin Sprague had driven Alonzo there, I'm sure they assumed that Justin would give him a ride home. There appeared to be contradictory accounts from Daniel and Justin during their Unsaw Mysteries interviews, as Daniel said that Alonzo got into an argument with another partygoer before he intervened and pulled him away. Well, Justin reported seeing no confrontations or hostility at all, and said that Alonzo was having a great time. Well, this doesn't necessarily mean Justin as being untruthful, because if he was separated from Alonzo at the time and not present to witness this altercation with the partygoer, then he was probably unaware that anything happened had had no qualms about leaving Alonzo alone to go out and buy cigarettes. Justin's stories that he got lost and his car got stuck on those rural gravel roads, so rather than go to the trouble of making a lengthy drive back to the party, he called a friend of his named Adam and asked him to give Alonzo a ride back home to Gardner. But of course Adam was not interviewed on Unsawn Mysteries, and since we've never heard him publicly share his side of the story, it's unclear why he left without Alonzo well. On our last episode, we discussed a post about this case from the Cold Case Kansas blog, and it makes mention of a guy named Edward Smith, which I think is probably an alias for the mysterious Adam. According to this post, Edward Slash Adam did approach Alonzo about leaving the party, but Alonzo told him he wanted to stay and would get a ride home with someone else. If this account is true, then it's possible that Alonso may not have been aware that all of his other friends were gone and there was no one left to give him a ride. But if he was intoxicated, it's understandable that he wouldn't be thinking clearly. We also have all these uncorroborated rumors that Alonzo have been flirting with a white woman at the party, and if these rumors are accurate and Alonso thought he was getting somewhere well, this could provide an explanation for why he wanted to stay and turn down Adam's offer for a lift.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what I was thinking right now, was that if he is with a group of guys and he's getting attention from a female, if he thinks that the females you know, thinks he's funny and they're having a good time and they're being talkative, he does what Jules and I have said we've dumbly done before, where we go, oh, just leave, just leave, I'll find a ride home, you know, because it's kind of this at twenty three years old, you're just fixated on this relationship and maybe you know, being intimate with somebody or have fun that night, and so I think you get this kind of tunnel vision, especially if you've been drinking, where you think about, I'm making progress here. I can figure out a solution once I get what I want, which could be this girl. And so I very much believe that could be potential. Where he's shoving the guys, I'll just go, just go, like you're interrupting my flow, get away from me. I'm actually, you know, getting somewhere with this girl, and then things could turn south. Let's say she has somebody else who's interested in her. Let's say it's just motivated by race. In someone's sees and says, I'm not okay with this because there are different races. But it could be a million things concerning that specific girl. I wish that a female had emerged from the party and said, yeah, we were getting along so well and then you just disappeared, or we were getting along so well and then you know, my friend Steve got really angry or something like that. But we have no information about a girl specifically at that party that's been identifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, this rumor makes so much sense, Like I could see something escalating into violence, if Alonzo was hitting on a white girl and some of the other partygoers didn't like it. But unfortunately, we just don't have any first hand accounts to corroborate if this is true.
Speaker 1: So on August seventh, twenty twenty, The Daily Mail published an extensive article about Alonzo's case, containing a lot of information which was not mentioned during the Unsolved Mysteries episode. I shout out of his claimer that since the Daily Mail is a notorious tabloid which is known for being an unreliable source of information, I would take the information that I'm about to share with a huge grain of salt, but if their reporting is accurate, it could shed some additional insight into why Alonso was left behind at the party. Rodney English was interviewed for the article and claimed the story shared by Justin on Unsolved Mysteries it was different than the one he shared right after Alonzo went missing, as he apparently never mentioned anything about getting lost and only said that his car broke down and he was able to fix it himself by the side of the road. Alonzo's mother, Maria, also alleged that Justin has changed his story about six times over the years, while The Daily Mail spoke to an anonymous source who was supposedly close to Justin and claimed he'd received death threats since he appeared on Unsolved Mysteries and felt the show had let him down by editing out significant parts of his interview. According to this source, Justin did leave the party to go purchase cigarettes, but the episode did not mention that he was actually accompanied by another friend. They did apparently get their car stuck in the ditch, but Justin elected not to call for help because he was drunk and high at the time, since he was about to enlist in the army, he did not want a dui charge to potentially scoopings up. But if Justin was not entirely truthful about how events unfolded that night, this could provide an explanation why. However, The Daily Mail reported that phone records did support Justin's story that he used his cell phone to call Adam at the party, and that surveillance cameras showed that Justin went to a gas station and withdrew two hundred dollars from an ATM. Justin and his friend then went to a strip club, but they wound up being ejected from there for unknown reasons. Thus far, the Daily Mail is the only media outlet I've seen which has published this account of Justin's story. But if it's true, then it gives him an alibi placing him away from the farmhouse and would clear him of any direct involvement in Alonzo's death. So yes, while Justin may have been irresponsible that night, it sounds like he does not have any further insight into how or why Alonso was killed, And during his Unsolved Mysteries interview, Justin became fairly emotional, so I get the sense that he was genuinely guilt ridden and remorseful about not being there for his friend.
Speaker 3: Let's say, let's say you got stuck, you fixed your car, you went the wrong way, and then you end up going to a strip club. I could see omitting that. I mean, you're sitting there, You're talking about somebody who has their own life, has their own career, has their own placement in society, has perhaps their own family. And you sit there and you say, you know, why didn't he tell us he was at a strip club? Well, he's getting ready to go into the army. Is it something that he was worried would make him look bad? Is it something he was worried his parents would be embarrassed about. Is it something you know five years later that he doesn't want his wife to know. I mean, there's other explanations for a change in stories, And there's also the way that our memories changed. They're malleable, they're pliable. When you sit there and you have a dream about the incident, you wake up and you wonder what was fact and what was the dream. When you talk to someone else, your story shifts a little bit. So I believe you know, by your fifth interview, it's possible a piece of information has been added or taken away. I don't think Justin seems like a person who is a dark force in this story. I think he was an other kid making some really bad decisions and had no idea that the consequences because he had no anticipation that his friend was going to pass away that night. He thought that he was leaving his friend and many other people that knew Alonzo, and that his buddy would make it back just the way he said he would.
Speaker 2: There's another detail mentioned in the Daily Mail article which I think might shed some light on all the confusion surrounding the circumstances of Alonzo's disappearance. The party was held with daylight saving time took and the clocks moved forward an hour at two am on the morning of April to fourth. For this reason, investigators had a hard time nailing down a precise timeline, because when you're dealing with a bunch of partygoers who have been drinking, I'm sure many of them are not going to be keeping track of when the clocks move forward. Where I have an accurate recollection of what time certain events occurred, it's been reported that a fight took place at the party sometime around two or three am, although it's unclear if Alonzo was involved, and the original reporting on this story said the last time Alonzo was seen was at around three or four AM. I'm sure these inconsistencies are the results of different witnesses having different recollections of what time these events took place, as I doubt that all of them would have taken daylight saving time into account. But what's important is that we don't seem to have a solid, concrete account of the last time Alonso was confirmed to be alive.
Speaker 3: What's interesting, though, is that if you did look at that time frame, it's two thirty to three or three to four, that could be all the same same hour, right if it was a change in the clock. We didn't always have iPhones that switched, you know, immediately at midnight, or sometimes my iPhone doesn't switch at midnight, it's which is at like four am. So isn't it possible that that could all just be the same timeframe?
Speaker 2: It is? Yeah, I think that is a possibility. And what's so frustrating about this case is that we just don't have any information about when this party really ended and when people started trickling out of there and going home. So we've talked about how it seems unlikely that if there were a couple dozen people there and something happened to Alonzo, that that many people would keep a secret. So that's why it would be useful to know, like how many people were still at that party by the time something happened to Alonzo.
Speaker 3: And remember there was another party going on too, some people were leaving and going to that other party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it makes me wonder like how many people were present who might be covering some sort of secret.
Speaker 1: During her interview on Unsolved Mysteries, Cindy said that when she and Billy traveled to the scene to search for Alonzo and checked out the farmhouse, she looked in through the window and saw that it was empty and it did not look like a place where there had been a huge party the night before. The wording is a bit ambiguous, so I'm not sure if Cindy's trying to imply that the house are being completely cleaned up or cleared out, but this could be taken as a sign that something happened to Alonzo there and the responsible parties made sure to do a very thorough cleanup job in order to get rid of potential evidence. One thing that has never made sense to me is why Alonzo's hat and boots were found in separate ditches across the road from each other near the end of the farmhouse driveway. We didn't find it likely that Alonzo would take off his boots there and walk back onto the property towards the creek, but if he was murdered, it's also weird that someone would get rid of his boots at that particular spot. Rodney English theorized that someone may have driven to the end of the driveway and tossed the hat and one of the boots in a ditch across the road from a moving vehicle, and then tossed the other boot into a different ditch after they turned right and started heading in that direction. When Justin picked up Alonzo at his residence that night, he said that Alonzo put on two pairs of socks and rolled one pair down to tie his boot tighter since he'd recently suffered an ankle injury. But if Alonzo's ankle was bothering him that night, could he have decided to remove his boots at the party before something happened. If Alonzo was not wearing his boots when he was killed, this could explain why they were found step or from his body. But then why not just get rid of the boots altogether rather than leave them out in the open at a spot near the farmhouse. This has caused speculation that perhaps the responsible parties wanted the boots to be found in order to send some sort of message, which adds to the whole aura of Lacine being a close knit small town concealing a dark secret, with most of the residents feeling powerless to do anything.
Speaker 3: I'm wondering if you would take your boot off if your ankle was hurting and you are in a place that you're unfamiliar with. You know, my husband won't take his boots off unless he's done for the day, because he's like, my feet hurt so bad. My feet are hurting, and he's like, if I take him off, it's almost like I get more pain in my feet because I have no support or anything going on. So I wonder if he would have left the boots on to provide the support for that ankle instead of saying, hey, I'm going to take it off and have no stability on my foot.
Speaker 1: And was this an inside slash outside party, because if it was and people were kind of going in the farmhouse and out into the yard, which it kind of sounds like from what they've said, then I would find it unlikely that he would take off his boots because that would be the only thing that would be supporting his ankle.
Speaker 3: And remember, there's one hundred people, so I think it has to be in and out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's never really been clarified how much was spent inside and outside at the party. But it was April, so it would have been warm enough I think for people to be hanging out outside.
Speaker 1: And like Ashley just said, there's one hundred people, So good luck fitting one hundred people inside a house unless it's really big with the square footage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Now. The aforementioned Daily Mail article also said that a number of different sources gave them the name of an out of towner who picked a fight with Alonso, though it's unclear if this is the same individual who was involved in the argument that Daniel Foon had witnessed, but the story goes that when this guy left the party, he drove nearly two hundred miles out of state, and he was one of the partygoers who refused to take a polygraph and lawyered up when investigators attempted to question him. While I'm not saying this guy was responsible for Alonzo's death, it does open up the interesting possibility that Alonzo was killed by someone who did not actually live in the Lacine area. If Alonzo realized that all of his friends had left and he no longer had a ride home, could he have accepted a ride from a stranger he just met at the party that night. Could this person have murdered Alonzo at another location and then brought his body back to Lcine and planted it on the bank of Middle Creek. What's interesting is that when doctor Mitchell performed his original autopsy, it sounds like he was unable to provide a conclusive determination of how long Alonso had been dead before he was found, though he was inclined to believe that his body had been lying on the creek bank during the entire time period he was missing. But how can we be so certain that Alonzo was dead during that entire twenty seven day window. We've heard all these wild theories about Alonzo's body being kept inside a freezer in order to explain why he had such mild decomposition. But the alternate explanation is that someone could have abducted him and held him in captivity for a few weeks before he was killed, and they then proceeded to bring his body back to the property and dump him on the creek bank. Of course, I'm not entirely sure why they would keep him alive this entire time, as it's not like he had any noticeable injuries on his body to suggest he was tortured. But then again, maybe something was found during the most recent autopsy to indicate that Alonzo experienced violence or torture before he died.
Speaker 3: This almost makes me feel like a Matthew Shepherd kind of thing, where you had someone who wanted to hurt Matthew Shepherd because of his sexuality. But they targeted him in a way that they befriended him and they isolated him, and they made promises to him of like, hey, let us take you home, let's go hang out, let us take you home, and then their whole plan all along was to attack him. And then they placed his body on that fence that night and so I'm wondering could something like that have happened where someone got frustrated they liked the girl that he was talking to, but instead of in front of all these people being rude to him, they befriend him and manipulate him to a point where, hey, man will take you home. Hey buddy, why'n't you ride with us? And they get him in the car under pretenses that they're going to be good to him, and then turn on him when they're away from the rest of the party gooders, So it rose absolutely no suspicion with anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would make sense to me as well. And theoretically, like I said, if they killed Alonzo at another location or kept him in captivity and the people from Lecine had nothing to do with it, they may have decided, Hey, I'm going to leave his body in the spot where I originally took him from so that it'll divert the suspicion away from me.
Speaker 1: And it makes sense to me if it was some guy that also liked this girl who's from the prominent family. But it would also make sense to me if it was say a relative of hers, maybe a cousin, maybe a brother, somebody who is connected to the family who thinks I'm not going to stand for that. This is somebody who I don't know how they would have viewed him, if they viewed him his mixed race or they viewed him as black, but either way they are thinking our family is white and we aren't going to invite somebody who is from the outside in in that capacity. And it makes a lot of sense to me, like you said, Ash, that they could have befriended him, and they could have gotten close and then used that against him at another location, whatever the case. Coming up with a concrete theory about what actually happened to Alonzo is incredibly difficult because even though there are a ton of rumors, gossip, and hearsay about events which may have taken place at that party, there are very few verifiable facts. Other than Justin Tyler and Daniel, no one who was in attendance that night have gone on the record to speak about it. And assuming these three guys are telling the truth, they would have already been gone before the events which caused Alonzo's death took place. Even though we've heard reports about people from the party lawyering up and refusing to be questioned or take polygraphs. That doesn't necessarily mean they're guilty of anything or concealing information, because refusing to take a polygraph or speak to the police without an attorney is always considered to be sound legal advice, even if you're an innocent person. It sounds like the lack of a coherent timeline has always been one of the biggest obstacles for this investigation, because we know at some point that party had to come to an end, but we have no idea if Alonzo was still there at that time and when the last confirmed sighting of him took place. I've always found it hard to believe that something bad could have happened to Alonzo at the party in full view of several witnesses, because I just don't believe that many people could keep a secret for two decades. Remember, this case has been investigated by many agencies, including the KBI and the FBI, so even if local law enforcement was witnesses would have had many avenues to turn to if they wanted to talk. Granted, we're not privy to all the details of this investigation, so perhaps people would have come forward to share important information with the authorities, but they still don't have the necessary evidence to file charges against anyone. I still wouldn't rule out the possibility that Alonzo's death did not actually take place at the party, but instead occurred after he hitched a ride with someone who harms him at another location. If this is what happened, there may only be one person or a small handful of people who know the truth about how he died.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to go with that. I'm really leaning towards this idea that he needed to get home, and it was the party was winding down. There probably weren't a lot of people there anymore. People were already dispersing and or were so intoxicated at the time they're not paying attention. But he's befriended by somebody who says, I'll give you a ride, buddy, and so zero people raise an eyebrow. Zero people are on to that situation. And then once in that truck, we have no idea what happens. And then they're discarding his items and his shoes, his hat, those types of things. I don't know. I just have to lean more towards that the idea that people lawyered up or didn't take a polygraph test. My goodness. I think there's a host of families, especially in small towns, that they could have an attorney friend who said, you know, like, hey, you tell your kids if they're ever questioned, the answer is not without an attorney present, and no way will they take a polygraph. So I don't see that as being a clear sign that these kids knew. But I definitely think that it's somebody who was at that party who said, Hey, I'm going to isolate this man away from this group, and then I can do whatever I want, punish him, get revenge, quiet him, whatever their goal was, And I'm starting to lean towards that's how that occurred.
Speaker 1: I just don't see how doing a polygraph test, unless, for example, you're the parents and your child is missing, if you want law enforcement to eliminate you as a suspect so they can focus their energies elsewhere, I could see doing a polygraph in that context, because you want to make sure that they're not focusing on you and that they're doing everything that they can outside of the family unit. But in this case, people who went to the party, they might have a myriad of things to hide, so they might register as deceptive on a bunch of different questions or come up as inconclusive. So if it were my kid, or even if I was in my twenties and know what I know now, I certainly wouldn't be doing a polygraph.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be a thing where they took illegal drugs at the party, or they did underage drinking. So even though they may have had nothing to do with Alonzo's death or have any information about what happened to them, they're probably paranoid that it's going to register on the polygraph test if they don't tell the full truth about what happened, and so they would have every reason to refuse to do it.
Speaker 1: Imagine getting asked a question like is there anything you're hiding about the day Alonzo died or about the day Alonzo went missing, and you're doing some kind of drugs that are like more than we'd write something that would be a Schedule one narcotic, and you don't want to admit that to your parents or to police. You don't want anyone to know that, And so it would come up that you are lying or you're being deceptive on that polygraph. But the reality is you know nothing about Alonzo's death. There just is stuff that you're not telling the police, or.
Speaker 3: Hey, did you contribute it all to the death of Alonzo?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I poured him a drink. Yeah, I uh was the one who did drugs with him. Yeah, I'm the one who introduced him to the people there. You know, Like, so am I quote responsible? Maybe because I interacted with him and I was part of his night that evening, So who knows of one of my actions quote contributed to his death?
Speaker 1: And I think that's why it really does depend on the polygrapher, because I think they're supposed to be asking the same question like three different ways, so that like, yeah, if you said something like that, did you contribute to the death? You could say did you directly contribute to the death of ants contribute? If you asked it several ways, you could get different answers. So if you've got somebody who's only asking it one way, then you could come up with tests that are full of deception.
Speaker 2: One other thing I wanted to mention is that there's a website about this case at Alonzo Brooks dot com and it has been used to promote an upcoming documentary series and accompanying podcasts about the case, which is being put together by a Kansas based filmmaker named Josh Pratt. According to the website, Pratt has been working on this project for several years, even before the Unsolved Mysteries episode came out, and it's going to contain a number of interviews with people connected to the case, including Alonzo's friends and relatives, law enforcement officials, and even persons of interest. However, I have no idea when the series is going to be completed or when its projected release date might be, and perhaps the reclassification of Alonzo's death as a homicide in twenty twenty one has sent the project in an entire life different direction. Whatever the case, if and when this series does get released, it may finally shed some additional light on things and answer a lot of the questions I've had. By all accounts, Alonzo Brooks was a very nice person who loved his family and never caused any trouble. So if he was the victim of a hate crime and the responsible parties have managed to get away with it for two decades, then that's a terrible injustice. We still can't be one hundred percent certain that his death was a hate crime. But even if that wasn't the actual motive, a young man still had his life stolen away from him. When I first watched the Unsolved Mysteries episode back in twenty twenty, I have to admit that I had mixed feelings about Alonzo's death being a homicide, as I felt his death could have been some sort of accident, such as a negative reaction to drugs or alcohol, and someone decided to conceal what happened before placing his body out in the open. However, the results of the latest autopsy do seem to confirm with absolute certainty that Alonzo was murdered, and even though it's been four years since that announcement was made, I do hope that things are still going on behind the scenes to build a case against the responsible perpetrator or perpetrators, and that they will eventually face justice. So if you have been to have any information about the murder of Alonzo Brooks, please contact the Kansas City FBI office at eight one six by one two eight two zero zero. That's eight one six by one two eight two zero zero. You can also submit a tips through the FBI website or called the Greater Kansas City Crime Stoppers Tips Hotline at eight one six four seven four tips. That's eight one six four seven four eight four seven seven Jules Ashley. Any final thoughts in this case.
Speaker 3: This one's heartbreaking when you think about the way that the families had to navigate the degrief here. When they first called and they said he didn't come home, my son is missing. We need your help, and they're told, well, we have to wait forty eight hours, and then they're on their way trying to do their own invent instigation, turned away by the man on the ATV, to leave the feeling that my voice doesn't matter, that no one listened when I said something was wrong, No one listened to us when we were begging them to search to help us find him. We had to go and find him ourselves twenty seven days later, and then you know, there's this continued flee from the family to say, listen, there were one hundred people there that night. Someone saw something, and so they're right. It's likely that people know tiny little piece of information that seemed incredibly insignificant, and yet if they came forward and if they were able to share those there's potential that this case could have a resolution. But the idea that you know, no one's talking and that their own voices are not being heard has to be something that completely complicates and elongates the weight of the grief that they're feeling. Alonzo went to a party that night, a kid that doesn't really even get out of his house. He's a homebody, and you know, so he went to spend time with his friends and to go along with their plan, and something that should have been so innocent and so fun in it in his death. And so I'm praying that this is one of those cases that because there is a tension, because people are finally listening, is this a case that actually could be solved.
Speaker 1: I feel so deeply for Alonzo's parents and for all of those who loved him, and for his friends that appeared on the documentary. I think, of course, it looks like they might be hiding certain things, but I don't think they're hiding anything to do with the death of Alonzo. I think there is a lot of guilt there, and like Robin mentioned earlier, when I watched it, I felt genuine emotions watching them talk about it. It felt like there was remorse, and not remorse in the sense that I'm sorry because I hurt this person, but remorse because they weren't there in the capacity that they felt like they should, and they've taken a lot of heat for that. This case has just made so much more complex, given the fact that there's all these conspiracy theories about prominent families and a potential white girl from a prominent family and Alonzo being quite drunk and getting into a verbal altercation with somebody. So there opens up all these different possibilities. Because there weren't his friends there to basically hold him back and go buddy, like it's time to walk away, it's time to leave. He was left to his own devices, and nobody else is talking about exactly what went down that night. I honestly don't know if he was taken somewhere else or his body was frozen, but it does seem odd that he ended up somewhere that had previously been searched. There is a possibility that he could have been frozen. I think it is less likely that he was held at another location for close to a month and then killed and then put there. But the idea of the shot caller was brought up and like that is a possibility, But it seems like if you're going to hold somebody there for a long period of time, that you're going to do so because you want to torture them with more than just a shocking dog collar. But I mean, I have no idea. This is just a case that has left me with more questions than answers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this made a vivid impression on me when I saw it on the Unsolved Mysteries reboot about five years ago, and I talked at length about how some of the cases they've shown are ones where it does seem that they're obvious suicides or accidental deaths, and that the show is trying to make the stories look a lot more mysterious than they really are. But this one is definitely the exception to the rule, because this is a rare case where it was technically an unexplained, undetermined death when they originally featured it on the show, and then one year later they gave a new autopsy and were able to confirm with one hundred percent certainty that Alonzo was the victim of a homicide and that there was a crime here that needed to be solved. It is frustrating that it's now been four years and we still don't seem to have any further answers about what happened, but I do think that law enforcement is vigorously working on it behind the scenes, and for all we know, maybe the big break they need is for someone to come forward with in because if it took place at a party, then it's possible that there are people out there who know the truth and have kept silent about it for two decades, and we have so many uncorroborated rumors. I mean, some people think that because Alonzo was a minority in a predominantly white area and was causing some friction at this party, that maybe he was the victim of a hate crime, And just hearing about the decomposition on his neck has made me suspect that that might have been the source of his homicide. That he could have been murdered by being lynched literally or being strangled to death or having his neck broken, and that's why it was missed on the autopsy the first time around. So if it was and Alonzo was targeted because of the color of his skin, then this would fit the definition of a hate crime and whoever was responsible definitely deserves to face justice. I mean, I can't come up with the theory of what happened with the information we have. I don't know where Alonzo was during the twenty seven days he was missing, why his body wound up on that creek bank after all that time, But I do not believe he was there the entire time when the original search effort took place. So something fishy definitely has been going on here. And I do sense that there are a number of people in this small town in rural Kansas who have their own ideas about what happened but have not talked. So it's now been over twenty years, and Alonzo's family definitely deserves to see justice done because it is long overdue.
Speaker 4: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 2: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon if you join our five dollars tier Tier two. We also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on The Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon and if you join our highest tier tier free the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 4: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jeweles and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Path Went Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very many, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those, so we hope you'll check out those patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciate it. You can email us at the path went Chili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 4: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy