Speaker 1: So welcome to our latest episode of The Path Went Chili, and Ashley is pretty busy right now, so we've given her another break. So for the next series of episodes, it'll just be Jewels in Myself again, where I will provide her with details about a case and she will give off her live reaction. So, Jules, have you ever heard of the death of k Hall?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. But once you give me the details, like I say all the time, because clearly I'm terrible at remembering names, I might recognize the details of this case. But maybe not. Maybe this is completely foreign to me.
Speaker 1: Well surprised, surprised. This was a case that was once featured on Unsolved Mysteries. I originally covered it on the Trail Went Cold as a Patreon bonus episode, but during one of the weeks when I was taking time off, we decided to release it into our main feeds. So it is possible that you have heard the episode at some point. And this is one of our favorite sub genres Unsolved Mysteries, cases where a woman's disappearance or death is under suspicion and their spouse is the prime suspect and they were willing to appear on Unsolved Mysteries and give an interview to proclaim their innocence, and thought it would make them look good, but the majority of the time it did not, and it wound up backfiring in a huge way. This is one about a woman where her husband was accused of running her over with her own pickup truck. It did eventually reach a resolution, but it was a very unsatisfying resolution. So there are a lot of unanswered questions. And this is one of those cases where you think, even if the suspected spouse was guilty, how exactly did they pull it off? And that's that's why I thought we should cover this one, because even though from a legal standpoint it is solved, there's still a lot to discuss.
Speaker 2: Well, this sounds like a really interesting case. And to think that if you were going to end the life of your spouse, the idea of running them over, it just it feels really horrific. Is there not another i mean, less messy or painful way to do it, a way that would as sure that that person would pass on calmly? I mean just to run somebody over that feels so savage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've always suspected that if the spouse did do it in this case, it probably wasn't premeditated. It may have been just a violent heat of the moment thing. But what's really interesting to analyze is that the timeline is so important because you can pretty much measure out where certain people were at certain times, and you look at it and you're wondering, Okay, would the spouse have had enough time to pull this crime off and get away with it? And what do you been known where the victim was and known where to find her in order to commit this crime. And that's why people are still debating this one nearly forty years later, even though it has technically resolved.
Speaker 2: Well, I love a tricky timeline, So let's dig into the details.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it takes place in Virginia, and the victim was Kay Hall, who was forty five years old at the time of her death. During the nineteen seventies, she was unmarried and was going under the name Kay Bredorius, and she became acquainted with a guy named Bob Hall. There really aren't that many details about Bob's previous life. We do know that he had a daughter, but it's unclear if he was married or if the relationship with the mother just fell apart pretty quickly, and it sounds like Bob and Kay were just casual acquaintances. But in the early nineteen eighties, Bob wound up getting arrested for selling drugs and he received a two year prison sentence, And the details about this are murky, but somehow, after Bob went behind bars, he and Kay developed a stronger relationship, became involved in a prison pen pal program, and continually corresponded over the course of the next two years. So by the time Bob was released in nineteen eighty two, Kay was waiting for him outside the prison to pick him up, and she actually brought Bob home to live with her. They developed a serious relationship. She pretty much financially supported him before they got married in nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, so that's a lot of information that's really interesting. We have Bob Hall who has drug offenses in his past, but insofar as we know, there's no violent offenses.
Speaker 1: I'm not one hundred percent sure, because as we're going to talk about, there would be allegations of domestic violence in this marriage. But like I said, I don't know any details about Bob's previously relationship with his daughter's mother, So there could have been domestic violence. We just don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think we have to take the time period into account that in many situations, women would be a lot less likely to come forward versus today. Even now. It's difficult, but if we're talking nineteen seventies nineteen eighties, the view of authorities to a woman who would go into a police station and talk about how her husband was physically abusing her or abusing her in some way might not be taken the same as it would today. She might be laughed out of there if she got a particularly insensitive police department. So there can be a lot of variables that go into if a woman decides to come forward and share her story, or a man decides to share his story. So, like you said, just because the information there, the absence of evidence, isn't the evidence of absence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, It is very possible that Bob did have a prior history of violence. We just don't know about it yet. But whatever happened, Even though it sounds like Kay and Bob were nothing more than real casual acquaintances before he went to prison, it seems like Kay developed a fascination for him after he went behind bars, and maybe she was just lone, maybe she just had a hard time finding a man, so she decided to enter this prison pen pal program and obviously thought of Bob so highly that the moment he was released from prison, she pretty much decided, I want to be in a relationship with this guy, and I'm going to allow him to live with me. So very unusual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think oftentimes when you look at prison relationships, there's a lot of different things to go into it. If you are somebody who maybe wants a safe relationship and that you can't get as emotionally devastated, and you keep somebody at an arm's length, then being with somebody who's in prison, you have that barrier between you, so it can't get too deep. It can't get too serious like it can, but it really can't in the same way that having somebody physically near you a relationship would typically develop. And then you have those who have hybristophilia who are sexually attracted to those that who have criminal or deviant acts, and that is arousing for them. But it doesn't sound like that is the situation here. It's not like Bob was out there doing violent, horrible things. It's a drug offense, and we don't really know the details of what type of drugs, do we No, We don't no. So I mean, for all we know, it could be marijuana, it might be something really minor. And maybe when Bob went to prison it was just a case that Cave was like, Wow, I really miss having him in my life, and let's just see where this goes. Because that's a big commitment to take on to write to him in prison all the time, and then when he gets out, to allow him to live with you, and then to financially support him. So it sounds like Kay was all in with Bob.
Speaker 1: That's what it sounds like. Yeah, And you see him interviewed on unsol Mysteries like, he doesn't come across as like a creep. He sounds like someone that if you just knew him as a casual acquaintance in real life, you would think he was a decent guy. So I obviously probably had some charm, even though he may have just been using her to try to have a meal ticket when he finally got released from prison. So the couple lived in a community called Mary Point, Virginia, located in Lancaster County and their home was on the shores of the Corodamin River near at Chesapeake Bay. And even though Kay had a successful career as an insurance executive at that point, she decided to leave that behind to open an oyster farming business with Bob, which whenever I heard that term on Unsolved Mysteries, I was like, Wow, I had never heard of that, But apparently it is something that originated from France. It's very popular there where you catch oysters and then sell off their shells and their pearls and also sell them off for food and you can apparently make a lot of money. And I guess they are also prominent New yor Chesapeake Bay because there are a lot of oysters there. But here it turned out to be a disaster because within six months the business ran into serious financial difficulties. Ka lost around one hundred thousand dollars and she completely exhausted the assets of her retirement fund, and perhaps nevitably, this caused friction on the marriage, as Kay had this six scessful career going on as an insurance executive and she decided to go all in with her husband to start this new business and it failed almost immediately.
Speaker 2: I really wonder what the dynamics of this decision to leave her career as a successful insurance executive to start an oyster farm. What was it Bob who broached the subject and really pushed and said, Hey, I've got this idea. And maybe it sounds a little flash in the pan, this oyster farm idea, but hey, we could if we are successful, then this could be incredibly lucrative for us. And that's a big if, because there's so many things to go into starting a business, and then you have something like oysters. If they're prominent, they're then great. But I don't know what type of business plan or research they put behind this before Kay decided this was a good time to quit her very successful career that she likely had spent years building up and building up the relationships in order to get to where she had ascended to. So it sounds like a big decision. I'm just curious how much of it was Kay and how much of it was Bob applying pressure.
Speaker 1: Would not surprise me if it was Bob, and I saw the confused look on your face when I mentioned oyster farming for the first time, that's just not something people familiar with. It sounds like a really niche business, and it's obviously a lot of hard work because you got to get a boat, you got to go out there and catch oysters and hope that you're able to sell enough of it to make a profit, and obviously they didn't. Bob actually wound up declaring bankruptcy and he had an interest in their home, but Kay decided to sell it in order to satisfy a tax lean and then Kay subsequently purchased Bob's interest in an internal revenue delinquent tax sale. So the whole situation caused a negative impact on their marriage, as the friend said that Bob and Kay started drinking heavily and were constantly fighting, and Kay even went so far as to tell a couple of her friends that Bob was being physically abusive towards her, And even though no one personally witnessed any abuse and she'd never called the police, there were people who said that they were called seeing her with bruises or black eyes, so her allegations did seem credible. But in spite of that, Kay said that she was willing to go to marriage counseling and make try to make the relationship work. But it sounds like that all the financial pressures and the heavy drinking were just causing the marriage to get worse.
Speaker 2: Wow. I feel really bad for Kay at this point because she had everything going for her and then she decides to embark on this relationship with Bob and everything starts to fall apart. Not only did she lose her very successful career, but her retirement fund or like her retirement savings and all the save money that she had. And then she had the tax Liane on the home which she decided to sell and then bought Bob's part. It seems like there's a lot of pressure. It sounds like her marriage right now is a pressure cooker because you have one a failed business too, You're going to have to move and so your home, which we know is one of the biggest stresses in life. And then we add alcohol to the mix, so we have two people who are potentially in the throes of alcohol used disorder or just drinking too much. So that can really shine a spotlight on any little, tiny issue. And if we have domestic violence happening, which I choose to believe, women, if Kay's telling her friends that that's what's happening in their marriage, then I believe her. We've got no reason not to. And Bob, obviously, when we don't know if this is an alcohol fueled thing where he drinks and then he's abusive, or if it's just the financial pressure and potentially the power dynamics in that if he were to split from Kay, what would he have k would be okay, she could go and find another job in insurance. Maybe it wouldn't be as lucrative as being an insurance executive. But I feel as though she would be okay. But Bob, on the other hand, I'm not so sure.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, definitely like this later on is going to be pushed forward as a potential motive for murder because Kay had bought like Bob's interest in the house. Bob was bankrupt, his business has gone downhill, so if she left him, if she kicked him out, he would have nothing, and obviously, as a former drug dealer who spent time in prison, it's not going to be easy for him to get another job. And sure enough, there would be more money coming into this situation, which provided a potential motive because on September the thirtieth, nineteen eighty seven, Kay learned that she was going to inherit fifty thousand dollars from a relative who passed away, and that was seriously going to help her financial issues, and that very same morning she immediately transferred half the money into her bank accounts. So it sounds like things were going better for her, But of course Bob would not be entitled to that money if Kay decided to end the marriage, so you can see how some tension was going to get even worse. So later that very same night, Kay and Bob decided to go to a party at the Indian Creek Country Club, which was located about fourteen miles from their home in an adjacent county, Northumberland County. And everyone said that this good fortune, this new inheritance, put Kay in a very great mood. They described her as being outgoing and friendly and being the life of the party. But her and Bob started to partake in some heavy drinking and this eventually led to another argument, and it sounds like the big breaking point is that Kay got angry with Bob because he apparently gave the bartender an unusually large tip, which may have been the result of this big inheritance where he finally decided I'm going to start tipping people, even though it's technically not my money. So this caused a huge rift, and Kay decided to storm out of the country club at around eight pm and just decided to get into her pickup truck and drive away, stranding Bob there. So when the party ended, Bob did not have a ride home, so another couple drove him home and dropped him off at eight forty five PM. And this is a very important detail because sometime within the next hour Ka would be killed. And now we know that Bob was at his house at eight forty five, and there's gonna be a lot of unanswered questions about how, if he did kill k did he know where to find her.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's interesting, So we see something some major cracks in the marriage in that Bob is out there spending and Kay is probably of the mindset that, like, let's be more responsible. She was an insurance executive, so Kay's good with numbers. We can assume that much, and we can assume that she's got a pretty good eye on what would be the right financial moves. And then we've got Bob, who doesn't seem to be formally educated in anything of the sort, and he was a former drug dealer, so I mean it is possible that he could be good with numbers. But if he's spending lavishly and tipping money that isn't his, I could see how that would frustrate Kay, especially if this is a pattern of behavior. Bob is spending what they don't have, and now Ka is in a situation where she's cleaning up his messes, and it sounds like that that is a potential for maybe what happen with you Oyster Farm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like the same type of thing where Kay is in a great mood, like she says, I've got this fifty thousand dollars inheritance, like this could be the resolution to all our problems, and it leaves her in a great mood, and then the very same night she suddenly starts getting pissed off again because Bob is becoming irresponsible and probably sent spending too much money. And I think a lot of people who witness that argument were probably thinking of themselves, hmm. Maybe now that Kay has more financial security, she'll be more comfortable ending the marriage. And this as we're going to find out is one of the main reasons people suspected that Bob suddenly decided that night that he was going to kill his wife and possibly even gets entitled to inherit that fifty thousand dollars. So it'd be around nine to fifty five pm, just over an hour after Bob was dropped off at home, when Kay would be discovered to be dead. Two car loads of people who are leaving a party in Northumberland County came across kse pickup truck parked on Bluff Point Road, which was a dead end back road located two miles east from the Indian Creek Country Club. And I find that detail interesting because this is in the opposite direction of the Hall's residence, because when Bob was dropped off at home, they traveled fourteen miles west and here she is two miles east from the club, in the opposite direction. But these people would find Ka's body underneath the truck's tires, and it was apparent that she had been run over and crushed to death. The keys were in the truck's ignition, the engine was still running, the lights were on, and the transmission was in park. It appeared that someone had backed over K's torso with the left rear tire, and the driver then attempted to apply the brakes and stop the truck, but it wound up skidding and this caused the left front tire to catch Kse torso and pull her backwards, which twisted her body into a very awkward position. And because K's body was still warm, like her death had taken place a very short time before her body was discovered and under normal circumstances, people were thought, well, could this be some tragic freak accident, But the fact that the transmission was in park was a sign that someone had deliberately backed the truck over her.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the distance from where K's body is found and the residence is how far sixteen miles?
Speaker 1: Oh, we have the club where Bob and K were which is located in Northumberland County, and it's fourteen miles west from the club to the Hall residence, and it's two miles east from the club to the spot where K was found. So obviously, even you know you're suspecting Bob, you're thinking to yourself, why was Kay in this particular location and how did Bob know where to find her? If he did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like initially I was thinking if this was just like two miles away, then I could see a scenario where Bob comes home. K's home already and he says, let's go for a and talk, and they go for a drive. Then they're arguing. At some point she gets out of the vehicle, he runs her over, and then he jogs back to the residents. I guess there's still a possibility that that could have happened, and he hitchhiked and got back to his home, and that way he wouldn't have to know where to find her because she was already at home. They took the vehicle and then he just left it there and then hitchhiked. I mean, you're taking a pretty large risk if you're going to hitchhike, because you're exposing yourself to somebody. But this is before social media. This is before the internet, right, what years.
Speaker 1: This again, nineteen eighty seven?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so the internet wasn't what, It wasn't a variable here, Like they wouldn't have had a computer. And so if somebody is getting the news that somebody may have hitched a ride and they want information pertaining to that, you would have to catch it very specifically on your local news, I would think, because there'd really be no other way to disseminate that information pretty much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And as we're going to talk about, Bob did own a jeep that he had at his residence, so theoretically, after he was dropped off, he could have climbed into the jeep and gone out driving and found Kay. And as we're going to talk about, there is some evidence to suggest he did use a vehicle that night. But once again, the question is how did he know where Kay was? Because this was in the opposite direction of the club. As far as I can tell, there was no significance to this particular road. So Bob theoretically could have driven to this spot, killed k and driven home. The timeline is possible, but it's just a matter of would he know where to find her because obviously in nineteen eighty seven there aren't any cell phones, so it's not like he could have called She could have called Bob and say, come meet me at this specific spot.
Speaker 2: And wasn't she run over with her own vehicle? She was, yes, So what did Bob find her and then get her out of the driver's seat and then push her out and then run her over. It would make more sense if she was run over by another vehicle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. That's why it is so unusual about this case, is the running over with her own truck. And at first they even explored the possibility that it could have been an accident because Kay. As we talked about, Kay left the country club at eight o'clock and the last confirmed sighting of her took place at eight point fifty, and it sounds like that she was very intoxicated at the time because a homeowner from the area claimed that she saw k running over a boxwood of plants on someone's lawn and she nearly drove into a swimming pool before she backed up and drove away. And they would later do a toxicology g test and a toxicology test and found out that she had a blood alcohol content of zero point two seven, which was nearly three times the legal limit. And she also, a couple months beforehand, had gotten the DUI and was driving on a restricted license at this point, so she obviously had a history of driving well intoxicated. But unfortunately, there were also some signs to point towards foul play because there appeared to be visible signs of a scuffle inside tab of the truck, as Kay's broken necklace and three fake fingernails were found on the seat and the floor. And like I just mentioned, the transmission was in Parks. So even though because of Kay's intoxication it wasn't completely implausible that this could have been in a freak accident, there was enough evidence there to suggest that she was in a struggle and that someone used the truck to run her over.
Speaker 2: And this sounds like a pretty likely theory, but I mean not a theory, but like, this sounds like it's highly probable. But then we also have to introduce the possibility that, what is more likely, did Kay in her drunken stupor maybe pick up a hitchhiker or give somebody a ride and then that person did her harm. Or did Bob just have the incredible luck to be able to randomly find her sixteen miles from his home, quite the way in the opposite direction of the country club. It just seems so improbable to me that he would get into his vehicle and somehow be able to find her and then get her out of the driver's seat, get himself into the driver's seat, then fight with her and then run her over and leave. I'm almost more inclined to believe that they both took that vehicle if Bob did it. They both took her vehicle, went for a drive to talk, and then she got out of the vehicle and he ran her over, and then he hitchhiked out of there. And the person who gave him a ride just never saw any coverage on the news or any asking of information, if there was any, because I just think it seems so it seems like so statistically improbable that such a distance away from your home you're looking for somebody, you're going to be able to find them. Why would you even be looking there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, Like on the surface, when you hear all the details, like it's easy, you think like it's really difficult for Bob to have pulled this off. But now I'm going to start sharing the details which cast him in a very suspicious light. Make you wonder like why this case is such a conundrum, because you'll change your mind several times when you hear more details. So, at around one am, the Virginia State Police showed up at Bob's residence to try to inform him about Kay's death. The first person who showed up with a state trooper who said who told Bob that Kay had been killed in an accident, but didn't really provide any specific details. And shortly thereafter, the lead investigator, special Agent David Riley from the Virginia State Police, showed up to Bob's residence and when they started the conversation, Bob casually mentioned that Kay had been run over with a truck, and Riley instantly became suspicious because the state trooper had simply said Kay had been killed in an accident. He didn't specifically say she had been run over by a truck. So if you're informed that your spouse has been killed, you're automatically assumed that when they say accident, that she crashed her car. But him saying that she was run over by the truck seemed awfully specific, So that immediately raised some red flags.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, Bob, Like, how would you know that information? And why would one assume that if you were told that somebody was in an accident. I would think that that would be somewhere on like, you know, your fourth or fifth guess as to what could have happened to somebody if they were in an accident, You wouldn't assume they were run over. Why would you even think that they were outside of the vehicle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and obviously like they weren't thinking. Bob was a suspect at first because here he was at home and it was such an unusual manner of death. But then things got even worse because when Agent Riley Special Agent Riley showed up at the residence, he noticed Bob's jeep in the driveway and decided to touch the engine and discovered that it was warm, indicating that it had been recently driven, even though Bob had been taken to the country club in case trucks, so there should have been no reason for him to be driving it that night. So when he initially questioned Bob, he said that after he was dropped off by his friends at eight forty five, he was at home the entire time, But then asked, how come the engine on your jeep is warm, and Bob suddenly changed his story and said that, oh, when I arrived home and noticed that Kay was not there, I drove to the end of the lane on our road and back in order to perform a quick search for her. But I couldn't find Kay well specially, Agent Riley was still pretty suspicious, so he decided to use a trick to try and call Bob's bluff and said that someone had seen him in the town of Kilmarnock, which is located about halfway between the Hall residents and the location where Kay was killed. Now, this was completely untrue. There was no one who had seen Bob. But Bob suddenly, once he hears this, decides to change his story again and said that, oh yeah. When I couldn't find Kay, I decided to make a quick drive to the Lancaster Courthouse because Kay had recently been arrested for you a dui, and since she had been intoxicated when she left the country club, I was concerned that she may have been arrested again. But then I drove to the courthouse and I noticed that her pickup truck was not in the parking lot, So then I just immediately drove back home. And more red flags here, because he just keeps changing his story when they give him new information.
Speaker 2: This is highly suspicious. I feel like, because of the wild timeline and because we have it just seems so highly improbable that Bob would be able to drive find her and that things would go down the way that they did. But with every interaction that he's having with police, it seems like he's lying, and he doesn't seem to be lying to cover anything else up. I mean, insofar as we know he's not out there dealing drugs anymore, because we know oftentimes people can be hiding something, it doesn't mean they're responsible for the crime. But in this case, we know that Bob has what seems like a pretty clear motive since Kay inherited that money, and it looks like Kay might be leaving Bob, and the timing of it all is highly suspicious.
Speaker 1: Kay is dead.
Speaker 2: He's lying about the use of the vehicle and why the engine is warmer the hood it is warm from the engine, and anytime new information is given, he's amending his story. It's looking pretty clear that Bob is being deceptive here, and I can't really see a way that he isn't involved at this point. So, yeah, you're right, I'm changing my mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not surprised. Usually when people hear that story, that's when they start changing their mind and realize, oh, even though the logistics are difficult, it really does sound like Bob is involved. But of course you presented that really intriguing theory about the hitchhiker, because I'm thinking maybe there's a scenario where Kay after she left the club, maybe she met Bob at home, they went out and to drive together, and then after he killed her, he hitchhiked home. But the problem is that the engine on the jeep was warm, and there's no indication that Bob would have driven it anywhere else that night, So that pretty much shows that if he did this, he had to have driven the jeep, and that this whole hitchhiker theory probably didn't happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, Devil's Advocate, I don't think this is likely, but I'm just gonna throw it out there. So I just mentioned that oftentimes people will lie or be deceptive because they have something to hide, or they don't want to appear a certain way, and so they'll change some details, put some judge on it, maybe amend the truth a little bit in hopes that the way that they're perceived is different. And maybe we have Bob who was out there looking for k and maybe his intentions weren't good. Maybe he realizes, oh my gosh, Ky's been found dead. And I was out there driving around, They're going to think that I did it. So maybe I should lie and just say that I wasn't out driving around, because then they know that I was dropped off. The logistics are difficult. I had nothing to do with this, so I'm just gonna lie a little bit because I don't want to go back to prison. And I don't think it's likely, but it is possible.
Speaker 1: Well, the one reason that might be plausible is because it was established that Bob had been drinking heavily at the club, so he technically shouldn't have been driving if he had gotten home. So maybe he's thinking to himself, even though I didn't kill k, I'm technically out there driving. Well, I'm intoxicated, and if they give me a breathalyzer, I might be charged and arrested anyway. So that's why he decided to lie, even if he was completely innocent.
Speaker 2: And at this point do we know if he's on parole.
Speaker 1: It's been five years since he was released from prison, so I don't know if, like, if there were any terms for his probation, but since he only served two years, I'd like to think that maybe if he had a parole period or a probation period it might have expired since he was released in nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 2: Probably since it was a drug offense, it wasn't a violent offense, so I couldn't see like parole or probation or whatever extending past the five year period.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. He probably wasn't any any legal risk of possibly being sent back to jail for violating his parole. But like you said, obviously like police become suspicious because he definitely has the motive. It just seems like quite a coincidence that Kay would inherit a fifty thousand dollars that very same morning and then get killed several hours later that same night. And they started talking to Kay's friends and they're saying that, yeah, Kay had spoken about divorcing him and threatening him with divorce, and since she owned controlling interest in their home, this would mean that Bob would get nothing. But because like no divorce papers have been filed now, Bob was in a position to possibly inherit the fifty thousand dollars even though it technically did not belong to him. So it just seems like if they had a breaking point that night. If, like K flat out told him I want a divorce, then Bob could have been motivated to kill her in the heat of the moment.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the laws are in the state and when it comes to divorces, because it varies from state to state, But if they didn't have a prenuptial agreement, then even though the house is in K's name, Bob might have still been able to lay claim to fifty percent of that if they did in fact go forward with the divorce proceedings.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure. I guess it was like extraordinary circumstance. This is because technically she purchased controlling interest in the home from him as part of a tax lean because he had filed for bankruptcy, So no matter what the divorce laws were, it's possible she still would have been entitled to the entire house. So obviously, the big problem with pitting this crime on Bob is finding any evidence to place him at the scene, because I mentioned that he was dropped off at home at eight forty five. The last confirmed sighting of K while she was alive was at around eight point fifty, when the neighbor thought that she was about to drive into the pool, and Bob also made a five minute long distance phone call to his daughter from his house at nine forty seven, And so that's literally a window of one hour and two minutes when Bob could have driven to this location, driven home, killed Kay, and then driven home in order to make this phone call. So it was sixteen miles from the Hall residence to the spot where Kay was found, and it would have taken between something like seventeen to twenty four minutes to drive there, so Bob could have had maybe between fifteen to twenty five minutes to kill k and then drive back home to make the phone call. But they just didn't have any evidence placing him at the scene because even though the engine on the jeep was warm, there was no one who could verify that they saw Bob driving him that night or saw him in the area near Bluff Point Road where Ka was found. And there was also one witness who lived near the crime scene who said that they remembered seeing Kay's pickup truck drive past her house that night, but she claimed that she saw no other vehicles pass by for another hour or so before the police and paramedics arrived at the crime scene. So even though it was theoretically possible for Bob to have driven this distance, they just couldn't prove it. There was no one who saw him in that area.
Speaker 2: I mean, we know that Bob did drive somewhere because he has the hood of the vehicles warm he admits to it. But I do have still an issue with logistics here, Okay, So like it's taking him maybe seventeen minutes to drive each way. Like let's just say, if he knows exactly where he's going, it's taking like thirty five ish minutes, So that gives him what like twenty six twenty seven minutes something like that to kill Ky and then to go on his way or to look for her. Because we're assuming if he's spending thirty five minutes driving, he's got twenty five minutes. That means he knows exactly where he's going, that he's not doing any driving around looking for her. And this seems to be an odd place where she was found or where her vehicle was. It wouldn't be like this a lookout point or somewhere that like she was known to go, So we would have to assume that he would spend some time looking for her. He's not just going to know where she is. He doesn't have her on like Find my Friends, so it's not like he can track her location or anything like that. So how would he know to find her here? And how did he do so within such a tight timeline?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is my big sticking point to this case. And the fact that there doesn't seem to be any significance to this particular road where she was found because it was a dead end road. I don't want to say anything about Kay having any connection to the area. And also the fact that she left the club at eight o'clock and we have the eyewitness sighting of her almost driving into the pool at eight point fifty and this is only two miles away, So where was Kay during that fifty minute window? Like what was she doing? Was she just driving around or something like that thinking about what she's going to do? And like we talked about, how did Bob know that Kay would be in this area, because, like we said, she's not going to call on the cell phone. We know that they checked Bob's phone records. So if theoretically, if Kay had found a payphone and then called the residence and told Bob, hey, I'm at this location, can you come meet me? That would have shown up on the phone records. So it just seems like if Bob did this, he just got incredibly lucky that he was able to find Kay in such a narrow window of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, he definitely has the motive, and we see the money motive, We see Kay potentially leaving him and his life would implode, and we also have the fight at the country club. But logistically, it's so hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that he could do this in this amount of time, and that he would be able to successfully find K in such a short timeframe, so far away from his home in the opposite direction of the country club, and he was incredibly intoxicated at the time too. It's not like he was operating on all cylinders. So this is really hard for me to wrap my head around. As much as I think, like Bob is not a great guy because of the domestic potential domestic violence, and also just his pattern of behavior and the way that he seems to treat K, but I also just could never with one hundred percent certainty based on the information that we have, say that it's one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Bob, Yeah, exactly, like I still think. No matter if you think Bob is guilty, there is still a lot of reasonable doubt in this case. And of course investigators would attempt to test out the timeline because the lead investigator, Special Agent Riley, would drive the sixteen mile route from the Hall residence at the end of Bluff Point Row numerous times to try to test it. And he said that yes, depending on how fast I was driving, each trip usually took between seventeen to twenty four minutes, and theoretically Bob would have had enough time to kill k there and drive home. And I know these are very popular in true crime cases. We've seen this on Cereal where they do simulations of the routes that were driven to see if it's theoretically possible to do it. But the issue with these simulations is that you can't one hundred percent recreate the circumstances of the night the crime took place, because hopefully Agent Riley is not going to be drinking before he performs these tests, so he's obviously not going to be able to recapture Bob's mindset that night when he would have been intoxicated and been driving around possibly erratically and not thinking clearly. And the big difference is when Riley does the simulation, he knows where he's going, he knows a specific point he can go to, and as far as we can tell, Bob didn't like he wouldn't have known that K was going to be at this location, so you can't really you have to factor in a whole bunch of other stuff, like would he have gone on different routes like searching around for K before he found her? So that kind of means that even though the timeline shows that he theoretically could have done it, it doesn't mean that it's one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: And I think you made some great points. We have a lot of variables that we can't fully understand. You can't get into the mind of Bob because, like you said, it would be illegal for him to be running the simulation and being completely drunk, right, you can't. You can't do it. It's just it wouldn't be an ethical thing to do and it would be illegal, So that is out the window. And Bob doesn't know where he's going, so you add him being well past the legal limit, I'm sure, and also he doesn't know where he's driving it's nighttime, you don't know what the weather was like, what the traffic was like, exactly what he was thinking. So yeah, theoretically it is possible, but how probable it is, I'm not sure. I just can't in good conscience be like, oh, Bob did it, even though I know he's not a great guy and there's like a strong likelihood that he could have I just can't one hundred percent say like, yeah, he's the guy, just because, like, how rare is it that we have a case with such clear motive and we have them have a fight right before the victim in this case, Kay ends up murdered and you end up saying I don't know if he's responsible. It's it's not very often.
Speaker 1: It's true, like this case is a roller coaster ride, And brace yourself because I'm going to give you another swerve now, which is probably going to make you start thinking again that Bob did it, because it casts them in a very suspicious light. So, but before we do this, we're going to bring an end to this. I think we've talked about enough. So this is an end of part one, So join us next week for part two, when we talk further about the murder of k Hall Robin.
Speaker 2: Do you want to tell us a little bit about the trailment Cold Patreon? Uh?
Speaker 1: Yes. The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our five dollars tier tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon and if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollar tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Taylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 3: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jeweles and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Pathwent Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series and we're really enjoying doing those. So we hope you'll check out those patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciate it. You can email us at The Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and Chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 2: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy