Speaker 1: Hey, it's Neil Savedre.
Speaker 2: You're listening to kfi EM six forty the four Report on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: How do you do, boyd? We got a lot going on.
Speaker 2: You've got May the fourth be with you tomorrow, and then you've got Sinco de Mayo, a lot to celebrate both that focus, you know, a lot on food and beverages, and so I'm excited for both. I mean, let's be honest, the Sinco de Mayo is not a big, big holiday in Mexico, and so it's more of a you know, drinking party that people do here in the States. But still good food and good drinks. I'm always for that. And of course, being a huge Star Wars fan, anything dealing with Star Wars. You know, buddy of mine just hit me up moments before going on and he's like, hey, do you need another bucket, which is another another term for like helmets. This one was a Stormtrooper helmet, and I'm like yeah, He's like, they're on sale right now. I'm on, bro, I'm on it, and I'm an adult, so go figure. But I still love the Star Wars and so around this time, anytime to celebrate the film, and you know all the.
Speaker 1: Fun that goes with it.
Speaker 2: I'm down, So I thought for technique of the week, let's do a couple of beverages that surround Star Wars. These are beverages that people have concocted for celebrating me the fourth. For those of you who don't get the obviously obvious pun, there may the fourth.
Speaker 1: Be with you? Yeah, yeah, okay?
Speaker 2: And then what is it? What's the next one? What's the one? Anybody else know? I know there's the Revenge of the sixth on the sixth, but what's the fifth? It'll come to me AnyWho. One of the things that I enjoy the most is the and have the memory of growing up and watching Star Wars. The original Star Wars, which is a new hope, was the blue milk? You remember that Luke's drinking it and it turns out that it's Bonta milk. Bantas are those big elephant looking, mammoth looking creatures with the big horns and the like that we have become to know and love. But there is a recipe. I saw this on Baking Mischief dot com Baking Mischief dot com, and it's called the Frosty Bantha milk. So this is something if you got kids, grandkids, or you yourself are.
Speaker 1: A fan and are going to be spending some time.
Speaker 2: Celebrating Star Wars tomorrow, which I most definitely am, to the chagrin of my wife. Probably this is a great drink for you, and it's sweet, and you can control the sweetness on this, and I will tell you how. But the concoction is put together with very few ingredients, so it's.
Speaker 1: Not very complicated.
Speaker 2: Two cups of vanilla ice cream and you're gonna have a couple scoops aside too, plus three scoops you're gonna put aside one and a half cups milk. Now, you can use any percentage of milk you want, and you could probably use an oat milk or something like that. But at that point, if you're not drinking milk, you know, because it's dairy, you can have a problem with the ice cream part. Sweet and blue drink mix. So that means your kool Aids, you know, powder drink, they have blueberry or raspberry or anything.
Speaker 1: Some of them.
Speaker 2: There is a blueberry raspberry lemonade or something if I remember correctly. When it comes to kool Aid, there's a couple flavors. There's also one that is just blue raspberry. But any one of those that is blue you can use on this drink and it works out quite nicely. So you want enough for two cups. That's sixteen ounces of liquid. There ten to twelve drops of blue food coloring. Now, if you're not crazy about food coloring, you can maybe leave that out. It just won't be as blue. But you put it all in a blender, You combine all the ingredients, you blend it until it is smooth. You divide it between three eight ounce glasses, and you top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream serve and people enjoy it. If it's too sweet for you and you're not into very sweet things, you just start with about half the amount of the drink. Mix, blend taste, and modify as you see fit. You know, blueberries might be a nice addition. You could put them in a blender or smash them up and then sive them out if you don't want the chunks in there. But it's just this light kind of blue hue, if you remember from the film, and it is tasty. I got a couple more for you. One more fun, one for the kids, and then one for the adults. You know what I'm saying, little something, little you know for you when we return, So go know where.
Speaker 3: You're listening to The Fork Report with Nil Sevedra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Just a place that we celebrate food and the culture around it, the people that make it, you know.
Speaker 1: Cooking at home, going out to eat, grilling.
Speaker 2: I had a conversation with Handle this morning after he got off the air, and he that guy is aggressive. So he's got a he got a big green egg. He's like, you know, and you know, so there's a learning curve he's never used one before and all of that. It's like, I want to do a brisket. And I'm like, so, let me get this straight. You want to do a competitive you want to smoke a competitive piece of meat that is used in like barbecue competitions. But I love the fact that he's so excited. It's like his new hobby and he's really giddy about it and we get to talk about food all time and techniques.
Speaker 1: But he's going to get it.
Speaker 2: I guarantee he's going to nail a brisket and it's gonna be killer, but we all just need time and practice, but he's going to get there.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for him.
Speaker 2: All right, we're doing Technique of the Week obviously Tomorrow. Tomorrow is May the fourth Be with You and the unofficial Star Wars holiday that's kind of become official.
Speaker 1: Been around for a long time.
Speaker 2: Actually, back in seventy seven when the film came out, it was kind of an inside joke, and it was referenced again in seventy nine, and you know, kind of it was the Star Wars geeks things that we used to love to do. But after about gosh, what was the twenty eleven, twenty twelve whatever, when Disney picked up the property, you know, they said, let's focus on this, let's make it a part of things. So they have Season of the Force going on right now, which is always fun there.
Speaker 1: At the park.
Speaker 2: And then you know, they have the Star Wars Nights, the special Star Wars Nights. I think there's still some tickets if you're into that. It's a lot of fun. I loved it. I think it's a lot of fun. They have new foods, They have a lot of the live characters walking around, which I think is super cool. They're doing more and more of that at the parks too. I saw a soka the other day walking around. I saw the young Luke Skywalker walking around from a Return of the Jedi, and pretty cool, pretty pretty cool indeed. All right, So talking about that a little bit. For our technique of the week, I gave a bonta milk recipe now on to a website called high Cookery each e Cookery, and this one is yodas soda and it's really easy ingredients, but it reminds me of something that my mom would make and still does but make as kids, and it was using Sherbert and seven up or sprite or something like that. So this just made me think of my mom, who's alive. She's not dead. I mean that made it sound like she's dead. She's alive and kicking stronger than most of us. But it made me think of her and how fond I am of the You know, she would do it with like an orange s Sherbert or something like that, but this is lime srbert, that good greenness, lemon lime soda like seven up or sprite, and then you can you mix them together and you use lime wedges if you want as part of the garnish. Another fun garnish and I had this actually at Disneyland the other day, is they have they had a new beverage that is like a fifty to fifty bar. You know, it kind of tastes like an orange julius the way it comes together. But at the bottom there was one of those candied wedges, like a gummy candy with sugar on it, like the wedge of an orange at the bottom. So you can get them in lime flavor as well. That might be fun in here as well. So as far as your ratios go, it's not super complicated. You just mix them per your desire of how much you want of that lime Srbert. But you know, sometimes you just put very simple. You put two scoops of the lime Srbert pour a cup of lemon lime soda and it creates that kind of swampy like fizz to it and green color and it's playful.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Now for the adults in the room who want to have something a little more I don't know, libaceous, maybe, yeah, we'll go with that, is this cute little Yoda drink. It's the same as the Baby Yoga Yoda cocktail that was going on after Mandalorian first came out and everybody freaked out because there was the grogu Baby Yoda, and everybody thought it was the cutest thing in the world. Because it's the cutest thing in the world. So this cocktail, the specs for this one is one point five ounces of gin, half ounce of fresh lime juice, half ounce of fresh lemon juice, a quarter ounce of Saint Germain Saint Germaine. You can get it smaller bottles if you don't use it. Otherwise you get this big bottle of it. It's very delicious and it's kind of you know, years and years ago, it was the competitive kick that a lot of bartenders and mixologists would use when competing. It's just a lovely little something extra that really sets the drink apart and make gives it a little bit of sophistication. Quarter ounce simple syrup, which is you can buy it at store. You can make it by boiling off one part water, one part sugar until it's liquefied and then let it cool down. You can use that and then two ounces of green apple soda. Now, green apple soda might not always be easy to come by, so any green soda can be used, but you can go to I think Galco's still around.
Speaker 1: It, Galco. I think it's Galco Galcos Galco. How come that sounds wrong to me?
Speaker 2: In an Eagle Rock area? And why does that sound wrong to me? Huntington Park or Highland Park rather there? I think it's on York. Very cool. They have every like all these old sodas and regional shows that are hard to get. Very cool. Yalco, Right, elkos al all right, so.
Speaker 1: We'll be back.
Speaker 2: I want to introduce you to some folks as a personal request of Andrew, So go nowhere.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nil Sevadra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: How do you do?
Speaker 2: Thanks for hanging out this Saturday. A little hazy today, but still a beautiful day. I'll take it. Every day that I wake up breathing is a good day, Thank the heavens. There a lot going on this weekend. I know we were supposed to be out at the Beach Life Festival today. Unfortunately there were some tech issues or something like that. We couldn't put that together, so we are not out there. But what an event. Southern California's premiere live music, arts and culinary event. It's back again, sixth year, taken over Redondo Beach. If you haven't been there, it's amazing. It goes on through the fourth that's tomorrow, and I think you might even be able to get tickets at Beachlife Festival dot com. But what a lineup they have. You know, they have indie bands, rock bands, pop jam, reggae and it was it was you remember last year, Kayla, it was just such a vibe and bands were great.
Speaker 1: This year you got Sublime, you got Alanis.
Speaker 2: More set, Pretenders, Cake is out there, and Lenny Kravitz, I mean, just the Beach Boys with John Stamos is going to be out there as well. So big doings out there. Our buddy Andrew Caravella is flying away from us today.
Speaker 4: Your last day, Andrew, No, it's going to be tomorrow. Chris Merrill gets to Happy.
Speaker 5: Have a field day tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that came that came out weird.
Speaker 4: Well, it's we're all family.
Speaker 1: It's okay, not a problem. Uh.
Speaker 2: So Andrew's leaving us. Bat uh he picked someone that he wanted to come on the show. D and Will Johnson from Veganberg in out there in Hissparia and we welcomed them to the show.
Speaker 1: Hey folks, Hey, how how the going.
Speaker 5: Hey, I got it.
Speaker 1: Going very well.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: Uh it takes, as you know, doing what you do. It's hard to do what you do and uh, you know, with YELP and all these things. And to look at the fact that you guys are so beloved online and off must be a great point of pride for you.
Speaker 6: Yes, that is very true. First and foremost, thank you Andrew for giving us the opportunity you know, for this interview. Uh. Yeah, the love is shown very much so through the A, Yelp, the a Google, our personal customers, family support obviously. Uh, you know, Andrew, thank you for the you know, for this interview. I had no idea that you even felt so so highly favored of us. So we just thank you guys so much.
Speaker 4: Well, just so everybody knows. Before Neil continues the interview, this I never I rarely put an endorsement behind places and for for southern California, people that go between Vegas and LA that are clean and healthy eaters. This is this is a place that people stop to to they they have to stop here to eat because this is this is probably one of the best non meat places I've ever been in my life to eat that. They're they're in the high desert. So I'll let Neil continue the interview.
Speaker 2: No, you jump in any time, Andrew, I think, and it's he's being honest. He you know, he's had access to me for a long time and it's not like he comes in every day saying how about these people, how about these people? How about these people? So a special act for him to say this place.
Speaker 1: Is specially I've not been.
Speaker 2: But I'm looking through the menu and doing a little mind tasting right now now as we often do on the program, and these are spectacular combinations of flavors and textures just by the ingredient list. Now the fact that they're plant based as well makes it, you know, even more spectacular.
Speaker 1: So explain how long you've been around what you know?
Speaker 2: The mission statement is your focus is of Veganberg.
Speaker 5: So we have been in business.
Speaker 6: We just celebrated our one year anniversary April fifteenth. We are the first franchise owners of Veganberg. The original one originates in Singapore, so we decided that we wanted to move forth with this chain because, like you mentioned the fresh ingredients. We did have to localize, of course, just because of the different countries, but I wanted to give back to our community because I've seen that by us going to plant based this worked for my husband. So I wanted to, you know, not just have you know, vegetarians, not just to have vegans here. I wanted flexitarians to also enjoy the meals that we do have prepared because I feel that it's for everyone.
Speaker 2: So did either of you taste the vegan Berg in Singapore or how did you hear about that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did.
Speaker 6: So I wanted to open up a restaurant, and I'm not my history is not from the restaurant industry, but I do cook very often. So as I was trying to get established with opening up a restaurant, I did come across Veganberg and per my research, there was a location out in San Francisco, and we decided to drive up to San Francisco, US and the family and my kids are meat eaters, and so I said, you know, let's get them to try the food and we're not going to tell him, of course that it's vegan, and they fell in love with the food. So we decided to reach out to the franchise and we wanted to open up here. But before we did get started, my husband Will and I we did fly out to Singapore and just a wonderful man, Alexander Tan He is the founder of Bienberg. What an amazing man, and he just made us feel that much more stronger to decide to bring this back to the US.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're gonna get some news here, but I want to talk more with Dee and Will Johnson about their adventures with vegan Berg there in Hesperia.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a great.
Speaker 2: Location in the sense that off the fifteen there you have so many you know, truckers and long haul drivers and all of these things. Yes, and people, as Andrew said, going to Vegas or you know, going to Arizona or whatever it may be.
Speaker 5: San Diego.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So I love that. So we'll talk more.
Speaker 2: We come back and talk more about vegan Berg Hysperia. So go know where you've been listening to the Fork Report. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty two to five pm on Saturday and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks for hanging out today. You got gosh, May the fourth tomorrow, you got Sinko da Mile coming up to food holidays here in the States. At least, let's face it, sink of their miles not a big holiday in Mexico. I'm gonna lay it down for you. Just not that big of a deal. They beat the French. It's not their Independence Day or anything like that. A lot of people misconcern that's and God bless the French. But you know, beating them not that big of a deal. I can't kid AnyWho a lot of reason to eat and drink and be merry. So we are hanging out today doing that very thing. Right now, we're talking to d and Will Johnson from vegan Berg there in Hysperia. What a cool thing to be able to bring something to the States. This only exists, vegan Berg only exists in Singapore until you bring it here. Was it franchised at all even in Singapore?
Speaker 5: Yes, well they do have at the moment, they have one location in Singapore and then they open up one location in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, So that's pretty exciting to be on the crest of a wave like this. And you folks from Hysperia.
Speaker 5: Yes we are, Yes, by the way of Los Angeles. We moved out of Los Angeles to Hissperia in around two thousand and five and we've been made up of the high desert since then.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're smart people moving.
Speaker 2: Out of LA I mean it really is.
Speaker 1: It really is lovely there.
Speaker 2: It's like you can feel you can feel the weight of Los Angeles off your shoulders.
Speaker 1: My wife and I have.
Speaker 2: A place in in Big Bear and we will uh sometimes go via the via what we refer to as the back way because it is.
Speaker 1: What's that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we love the We love Big Bear.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's a stone's throw for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you guys ever use.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys ever use the term that's hysterical.
Speaker 1: My wife hates that joke. I say that, I love it.
Speaker 5: I have to put that in the to put that up in the restaurant.
Speaker 1: Use that on the side. So tell us it.
Speaker 2: It's spectacular that this uh barbecue looks fantastic.
Speaker 6: That is one of our cop sellers. Yep, your name is the ones that that sells them most. So our smoky barbecue first, first and foremost. Our patty is our housemade. So we have two house made patties, which one is a crispy patty. It's a soy protein patty. We do the crumb mix in house, and then our grilled patty is made out of chataki, mushrooms, kel carrots, onion, cellar and seasoning, so our customers do have the options between a grilled and a crispy patty. And then some of our top favorites are our smoky barbecue which have that grilled patty with some caramelized onions, vegan cheese, vegan bacon, red onions, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and our vegan male. We do make all of our sauces in house. Our shroomsburg as a mushroom sauce that we do prepare fresh with some caramelized onions, lettuce, that's our patty.
Speaker 5: Those are like our main two.
Speaker 6: One of my personal favorites is the abval beats, very fresh, very clean and includes our grill patty with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, beets, sprouts, avocado. It's really it pairs really good. But a lot of people do come in for our Carnia sooder fries. Everybody is h is unbelieved by how great they paste well.
Speaker 2: I mean the food tech continues to grow. I mean that, I'm just a good food person. So I'm like, if it's if it's tasty, I'll eat it. I don't care. You know what it's made out of, plant based fantastic. I love doing that. And you reference this before. Nothing better than having an omnivore or carnivore come in and bite into something and just love it because it's delicious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know the fact that it is.
Speaker 2: You know the fact that that it's plant based, that's just a bonus.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We also offer gloom free items as well, because we do have a lot of gluten intolerant people, so we do have patties, buns, and and and appetizers for gloom free people.
Speaker 2: Well that's great, That is fantastic, and that makes you know there are people out there with ciliacs and the like, and having those options for them as well. I think that it's a great way to do it.
Speaker 6: Intolerant, dairy free.
Speaker 5: Sure, that's that's it's great.
Speaker 6: It's great.
Speaker 2: So I tell you what, we got to get our asses out to Hysperia and you know, do a show out there because it's hard for you guys to bring food, you know, we cover all of southern California, but we're in Burbank, so it's hard to be able to take your food and travel here. So we got to come out that way and talk to some of the folks out there because there's some wonderful food options of which you are one and I'll come check it out next time we're pulling off the fifteen.
Speaker 6: That sounds great.
Speaker 2: Tell everybody where they can find you on social media and your location.
Speaker 6: Absolutely so. On Instagram, we are Beganberg. That's v e g A N d U r G dot hissparea we are. Our website is Beigenberg Hysperia dot com. We're located off the fifteen Freeway going north towards Vegas off Main Street and Hisspaia.
Speaker 2: That's excellent. Thanks so much for taking the time to come on. I hope people check you out. I certainly will, and thanks to Andrew Caravella for the recommendation here on the show.
Speaker 4: D I'm stopping there on.
Speaker 6: My lunch on Monday, so well, I'm there all day, so I hope to see I get to thank you personally.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Are you doing the cooking or I am?
Speaker 6: I'm doing it all. I am doing it all. I do the Yeah. Yeah, we'll be there all day though Monday.
Speaker 1: So Will just comes in and eats and leaves.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, as you can see, d habit. I'm just, like I said, I'm just a glorified dishwasher. We got it. She got the business, she's doing it. She's doing an amazing job at it. And like I said, I'm just here to help her when she needs me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, taste this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Okay, he's a good dishwasher.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'll tell you that's the way I has to work, you know, on a family business.
Speaker 1: It's all hands on deck, period.
Speaker 5: I wish you both to eat out of clean plates.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: D and Will Johnson vegan Berg in Hysperia. Vegan Berg in Hysperia. Thanks, folks, we'll talk again.
Speaker 3: You're listening to The Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from kf I AM six forty