Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Ensure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Hey, good, Up to doon, everybody, Welcome to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is Andy Brown from the eighteen. Are you doing, Steve? I'm fine. Haven't seen you in a while.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like since the Red and Blue game. Real waved actually from the front road. No, I did not. You're up in the top on your keyboard. Yeah, talking about how good the team was gonna That was not me. All twenty of them? No, twenty of them. How are they gonna travel with that? You can't? No, But I'm saying I was gonna say. I know, I knew that that was kind of a Fred slip. But they not travel with them?
Speaker 2: Are they? They gotta eat even in town. They gonna eat shoes. I don't have twenty kids in my family, but I know they gotta eat uniforms. Yeah, right, kinds of stuff you got stock in the locker room? Did anybody see what they out in the locker room? I mean they stacked with goodies? In there. Everyone has a budget, a budget probably right, No, that's from twenty kids. No way, when you have twenty kids, you have problems. It's your second job, you have twenty kids or third job. We have no, I don't know. We're in a lot in those locker rooms, bro, twenty kids. This is not the good old days.
Speaker 3: When the come on, oh man, I know it's not the good old days, but it's much better for them.
Speaker 2: Well heck, come on, yeah, what kind of life do they have? It's the life of Riley.
Speaker 3: Tell you what an I l That's all I gotta say.
Speaker 2: And I've had We had the president of the former president of the university on yesterday. He says it will be solvable. The when is when we don't know. We had Rocky the Rose and what she was an ad when you were there, and.
Speaker 3: I love her. She's great.
Speaker 2: She is a great girl.
Speaker 3: And who knows.
Speaker 2: It's just crazy from your time this time. Compare your your time with the U of A. Now, it's like, here's the exactly the comparison. We sat on wooden stools in front of our locker. They have the seven point twenty recycling things, some chairs that they can sit in rec TV.
Speaker 3: We had one TV that weighed five pounds like a boat. And now they have flat screens everywhere. And I'm not going to say it too much, but you could pretty much have a four course meal in that lock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, which is great and every every program has that.
Speaker 3: And I loved it when we were in there with Pete Williams during the Fantasy Camp Blue Dolphin's Camp and we got to sit in front of all the kids last year and chat with them, and Pete said, all the stuff that you guys have right now is because the guys that came before you. And he said, you're welcome.
Speaker 2: He's right.
Speaker 3: You know what Pete talks people listen. He is a monster Vega's heart, but he is, and he speaks.
Speaker 2: He's just like, okay, well he's he's the way he's built is always built. He looks like he can still play.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but both looked like he can still play.
Speaker 2: He and he works with is like corrections or something like that.
Speaker 3: Something like that. He's he commanded the scared straight he was, so he was and he was matter of fact, here it is and he's right, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: And he's right because let me tell you something. The program is what it is, right, one of the best in the country, one of the best. All the best ones have what you're just talking about TVs, Yes, massage stuff, but it's all built on guys that were there for short years, shortcades, right, Sure, what are we going on?
Speaker 3: Forty years?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for almost forty because Luke game in eighty three almost forty total when they're really successful. But but the thing is they need to improve on it, and I'm not sure they've improved. I think Tommy has. Uh you know, Sean had some good moments and a lot of good moments that his end years were not great good moments.
Speaker 3: And Tommys just need to he needs to break that wall. He does there's a there. Yeah, he doesn't need to break that glass ceiling. I think he's a couple bad bounces away from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I'm Sean. I'm sure Sean the Elite eight games where he could have gone the other way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but let me say something. At some point you're gonna say, oh, come on, come on, and he knows this. The thing is, he knows this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think what happened is Luke came in so quick and turn it around so quick back and then I think you could turn it around so much quicker when Luke first came ye two years, two years he turned around, and then in five years he was in the final four.
Speaker 2: And it was and it was at the bottom of the barrel. But you could do that back then with a couple of great players. Now I think you have so many great players that are spread out right and they're just constantly moving team. So you have chemistry issues like you didn't have back then. Well, eas fix the chemistry issue back then we did. We didn't talk about this yesterday the day before, I think, and maybe one knows this because it's probably out there on easy desert swarm.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: It was almost picked. Guess where they're picked to finishing the number five, number five five, and before this is number one, before we said that Arizona basketball all it's glory and pat my back and all that stuff. They're fifth in the conference right, which is not a surprise to me, and I'm sure a lot of people because we've talked about them getting beat a lot more than they're used to. But they fell fifth.
Speaker 3: In any sixteen in a very tough thing.
Speaker 2: But hey, you're not who you think you are. No, you just got to get better.
Speaker 3: You got while we play the games too, right, I think the kids are excited to play in these new places, and you're going to some cool Kansas. I mean that is I would have loved to play at Kansas and having Duke come and play here finally again. For for so long, those are the game kids want to play. Sure, you don't want to go to I'm not even gonna I can't even Charleston State right to Timbuk two. You don't want to play those teams. What you're working up for?
Speaker 2: This is the one thing this knock on shot. So he finished with a lot of wins three him some minus you know, sixty seventy whatever. It was probably more than that. He had a great record, right, But also I counted him. There was fifty between fifty and sixty teams that were n A U or worse. And we're not just being realistic. So if you where you go to school, where'd you go to school? Sabina, No, Ring Kon Ring Khon, So Ringcon beats Green Green Day, right, doesn't matter. Okay, you got your record, you want to know, but it beat them ten times in your time, Come.
Speaker 3: On, come on, No, I understand, and I like where Tommy goes with his with his Oh he's not afraid. He's not afraid because they really don't matter. You're gonna judge, You're gonna get your kids in the team games they want to play in, and you're gonna be able to say, Okay, you don't have it or we do have it.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, let me tell you. And he was very realistic about this. When they went to Duke November eighth, I think it was last year, they surprised everybody. They beat him on the road, and it was to my question, even so, what are you gonna make of this? Is it doesn't mean anything till we'll get to March, right, And it will never mean anything until you get to March.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing is, you play him early in the season, you get to March. It's nothing new.
Speaker 2: It's nothing right, it's nothing new, But you have to I'm not shocked anymore. I know this team now, I know this, I know this level of competition now. So this is and you know this because you follow this team, and I'm sure there are teams like this, but there's no better team. And I'm sure there are that plays better in November than Arizona. Historically, they are fantastic in November. In November, you know what you get in November. You're not a damn thing. No, you don't. You're getting trophies and you don't get unless you go to the n I t it little Maui.
Speaker 3: Those are fun, sure, but you're still playing two teams to get into it. That aren't that good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So here we are and they'll be here playing here in about ten ten days or something like that. That's gonna be awesome. And guess what we have tomorrow? Big game? Big game. You were talking to your boys, your buddies. I've got some PEPs, some birds. How big the game is it?
Speaker 3: Do you think the b YU game? We're talking about football. We're talking about football. I tell you what, it's a huge game. I believe for fan buying and again again that the Utah game was huge for buying. But then we took a step back with Texas Tech. You mean the Utah game. Utah game was great, Texas Tech coming back, we took a step back.
Speaker 2: We'll ask you. Yeah, before you go there, you're you're you're the crowd guy. You go and you, you, your group, your company holds back the crowd or whatever your crowd control.
Speaker 3: You have your finger on the pulse.
Speaker 2: You didn't have to put a finger anywhere last week because there was no pulse.
Speaker 3: They they we saw more people leave earlier last game than we have the first two. And I think that this is my opinion, expert opinion on crowd behavior. People have been cautiously optimistic for a long time. You know what do you mean by a long time?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: They we won one game, They're like, oh yeah, we're in. We're gonna go to the you're talking about this year, the last few This year, we won one big game in Utah and people are like, okay, wait, yeah, I'm gonna wait one more game. You before I jumped back on the band, I'm gon way. You ever been been by a dog?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And did? What was the next time you want to pet a dog? No?
Speaker 2: I still don't like petting dogs because I've been bit by a dog.
Speaker 3: Yes. So people are gunshy now hell yeah. So they want to see it consistent. They want to see it put together consistently. Three games.
Speaker 2: How old are you? I am fifty two fifty every fifty two years at least maybe the forty five thirty five that you've paid attention. It's always been that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, what's up with Tucson. I don't know. I'll tell you what. I think. There's a huge game BYU this weekend, and I think they can pull off miracle number two. It should be now called the Utah Wildcats. We're gonna own that state and Arizona. We beat Asu BYU. Utah, we own the west side of that conference, right, that's what we do. And if you don't, right, you don't, you should own that side, right. If we don't, Colorado is going to be that much bigger of it. Yeah, right, And that was a winnable game a month or so ago. Now you don't know. And the rest of them you don't know. No, Colorado is all over just like us. They're kind of all over the place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and with talent in some places like Arizona. In some places we have I mean, we had the plays last game. Tech is that game. We had him.
Speaker 3: We just had a few mistakes and that's what sometimes, that's how it goes. You get a drop ball by what your best player, No one feels more worse than he does. Yeah, and we talked. I was going to say we talked about one. This is the first day back, but welcome back one.
Speaker 2: One. This is a case where your three stars didn't star. I want to say t Mac because you don't expect him to do what he did and not purposely obviously, but you know it's puts the ball away and then the quarterback needs to play better. Your star. Yeah, and you're a kicker who the name player of the week needs to hit them all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean sad to say, but he's you gotta hit all your free throws, all of them. You know what I'm saying. Could you watch it w W a game last night? Yes, guess what was The star player missed the brow.
Speaker 3: You got this game one?
Speaker 2: Oh, then she missed that game should have been won like three or four times by two different teams.
Speaker 3: It was crazy. And you've seen this.
Speaker 2: You were you were one of those days when you sat on the bench and says, oh we got this, klids got this. What the hell happened?
Speaker 3: We got to the final four playing Arkansas and it's like, these guys can't make a shot, Like, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Damn?
Speaker 3: You never missed, you know, And never the same day, right, one day you missed, one day he misses, and I don't know, the rest of the team just goes, oh yeah, And.
Speaker 2: Then what do we do because we never been in the situation shooting.
Speaker 3: I don't want to shoot it. Let's not Megan, I'm not going to shoot it. You don't want to shoot it. I tell you who would have shot it. Dylan rigged In, Dylan rigg Dylan down from anywhere.
Speaker 2: Let me say this, though you were there, sant Cler or not there the year after, the year after, okay, because we played him that year, but we beat him the revenge game. So so Reggie Geary, being the coach that he is, back even then gets fouled in the final minute or so. He wasn't a very good prestow shooter. Uh got and then protected pretending he got hurt. All right, Who do you have on the on the sideline? Yalen Ring who hit maybe ninety one percent of his throw. They put him in and guess what he does. He missed it, really he missed. I seen the replay a few times in the last I saw it maybe three months ago, four months ago. Talked to Reggie, says, you were you were smart, dude, you're doing your coaching stuff. Oh yeah, got hurt, faked an injury. Wants Dylan doing it ninety Oh we got this and he missed it and the rest of industry.
Speaker 3: Reggie wants that one back. I put it on there right now. Reggie was a good shooter, that's all. I gave him cramp all the time about it. But he's a good shooting. Yeah, he wishes he would have shot more. Yeah, he does. But when you're with Damon and Kaled, you really kind of don't get that.
Speaker 2: Hey, we'll go there with one. So no, we'll go there. We got about a minute there one maybe. So I'm gonna probably write in a bright story. And I've said this before two or three times. The backcourt, kJ Lewis, H J. Bradley and Caleb Bluff write a very good sound. The best best threesome in my mind since probably, uh they had ninety four, Well, ninety seven was pretty good. Ninety eight maybe Simon Dickerson with JT coming.
Speaker 3: Off the championship. So that's kind of like the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you had then you had the previous one that you were talking about with Reggie, Damon and Kalid, I really think these guys are capable.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 2: It's to be determined, right, But but these three are are going to ride these This team is going to ride those three.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes they will. They're they're long. I love how they get in passing lanes when they play defense, when they play defense, when when they buckle down and play defense, look out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Okay, let's take the break now and come back. We have no guest. If anybody wants to call us, please do get us through the second hour.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about BYU football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have some questions about we have some questions.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll read them off.
Speaker 2: No, don't.
Speaker 4: When we come back, your chance to win one thousand dollars just enter this nation wide keyword on our website.
Speaker 2: Check that's check.
Speaker 4: Enter it right now Walksports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 5: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wildside, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resource, Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready Enterprise, so Fasco, Yuki trye.
Speaker 6: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instack cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 6: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorati Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 7: Where do you buy exercise equipment Arizona.
Speaker 8: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot School.
Speaker 10: In a fall sports season are in full stride. Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps.
Speaker 2: Shorts or long sleeve follows.
Speaker 10: And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items to choose from, come visit Creative Awards at Creative AWARDSAZ dot com or see our Idea center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street at.
Speaker 3: Nova home Loans. We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven, Arizon AA b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lindrix, Syon Credit, greates and avaiable loan programs or subtex to change the NUNT notice.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 10: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best of sports cards and trading card games from Rare Fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 2: Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 10: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on eat Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush showtime cards for their passion.
Speaker 8: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter your credit score.
Speaker 3: You can borrow better with cheering.
Speaker 8: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 11: Gut bugs, termites, fees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your Complaine Desert pest management specialist. US can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about as You Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 4: This is I On the Ball with Steve Bravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio Wip Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Winning the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Andy Brown. Got one ruddy the system here. If he messes up the system, we have no show.
Speaker 3: You like the new digs we got here, Ye nice, right, But.
Speaker 2: It didn't take you guys long to get this stuff. These kids, know, you know, a group of this stuff less buttons back there. It seems like, no, there's there's colors. I don't need colors.
Speaker 3: I can't see colors. Man, expense your shirt. That just kidd's two faces for radio in this booth right here.
Speaker 2: Anyway, enough for your funny stuff. Okay, No, I like you. I need my partner to give me grief, so you might you might land a real gig here. I tell you what you're okay, cool, cool cool? And so I know you have questions or so your people have questions, we will, we will. Anybody want to call with any questions that we could try to solve or answer, please do five to two oh four one six.
Speaker 3: If our listeners have the same questions that your listeners do, my listener, your your buddies there, call him complainants. Has a bunch of complainants.
Speaker 2: Five two oh four wins six seventy four forty and will say, hey, that's on the bingo card bingo right, do you have any concerns on what's your biggest concern right now?
Speaker 3: It's the play of Noah Fafida.
Speaker 2: I don't totally agree with you.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's there right now.
Speaker 12: Whether I heard some people talking about he might be concussed or might be something I took a bad I don't think that's no.
Speaker 3: I don't really think that's it.
Speaker 12: I think he's just he had he had a great game to start the season, and he hasn't really bounced back from it.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's the flow of the game he's trying to do too much, or do you think he's thinking about other things? A finger on it. I think he's still building trust with the rest of his options. Okay, makes sense. For a good while.
Speaker 12: Now, I've said that he hasn't looked to his checkdowns. He has tight ends running white open down the middle of the field that he's not hitting. And his first read is TM MAC almost every time, no question, no question, And that's part of the problem.
Speaker 3: It should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one of the things that he's getting time.
Speaker 3: He's getting time.
Speaker 2: He's also when he has too much time, he's getting crushed too with he you know in some of the reads or some of the passing plays. I don't know, he's his trajection for his throws are kind of higher now. You know they're higher now, which is strange to me. But he's also not running and throwing. He's not getting into those lanes where those holes he's got to throw over people. Am I wrong? And that's a problem. He's not a tall guy and that was that a system problem or is that his problem? I mean it's probably both both, and I would have to kind of actually look into last year and how he got rid of the ball more. But hey, someone said, someone who follows football told me this like two games in. He's I'm really concerned because his ball release is higher than what it used to be. Because, yeah, because he's gotta got to get.
Speaker 3: Over the top.
Speaker 2: Because he might be right in the throw over guys like.
Speaker 13: Your six six six six, du right, and if he's right behind you, not right, but five yards to go to get by this andy Brown guy, you still gotta get it over.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No. I like when they do those option plays where he can keep it. I don't think he's ever kept one, and the defense never keys on him. They just always key on the running back.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen that the last the last couple of games I've noticed where he has that option to keep it or hand it off is always handed it off and not once keep it. I wouldn't want to be yet either. Yeah, I get I get that part. But you know I'm not in the huddle. I'm not in I'm not on practice. I'm not in in the locker room. But we we can sit and speculate all we want. That's what the show is about. Right, No, you're exactly right, But I think we still don't remain positive. I think he's gonna get it. Uh, he has no choice it it beats the choice. I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's got to be. I think he's got to interact with other guys who they Well, Burnett's got to catch more passes, and I've seen the patters and stuff. You know, he's got to get the ball probably more too. There's got to be more than t Mac. Although you could, you could throw it to him a hundred times and you'd be okay with it if, of course he caught hundred balls.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what it tells you. Is it better to throw in a triple coverage but Ta Mac than it is to somebody who's wide open who may not catch the ball. That's what you're telling your teammates, right, right, that's the whole point, as you're saying, I'm thrown in the double coverage and I got a guy wide open, but I don't know if I trust him to catch it yep, or once he catches it to turn up field and get those extions.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't you Okay, I'll give you that option that you talked about, throwing to a guy that has is triple covered and the other what did the other guys think?
Speaker 3: Right, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: What are the other guys thinking.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you be pissed? Dude?
Speaker 2: Why? I'm open, bro, give me the ball, Give me the ball. Right, You've got to look other places. But what if that's an issue and we just don't know.
Speaker 3: We don't know, We don't I mean unless you go to practice and you watch it, and if they catch him in practice, then just like you said, Dylan, Dylan's a great practice player, but when they put him in the game, he missed the free throw.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I want to tell that you're talking about him. It's all right, he's uh, he's listening. I'm sure he's on. He's on the It's a good old nineteen ninety four year so I think one's got a great point is how do you build that trust? Though, I mean, it's gonna take it, takes time. You don't do it overnight and say, okay, trust you know here.
Speaker 12: The thing though, is he's had Burnette almost his entire career. True, that should be true. He's had Montana.
Speaker 2: One at least two years, one A, one, B right, yep, yeah, and then you're right. But no, you're exactly right. I didn't even think of that because he's had him too. Okay, t not open. I got, I got Burnett over here.
Speaker 12: And I think Montana should be getting a lot more looks. I think he's a great receiver that just hasn't gone the looks. He got a little bit more of this last week. He got a few catches and catching caught it around with it extra ten yards.
Speaker 2: That's what Arizona needs. You saying this doesn't happen overnight. Okay, wait wait, wait, so so you got six weeks of this plus the practices, plus the spring game, spring ball?
Speaker 3: How many?
Speaker 2: How many times you have to tell your wife you lover for her to believe you?
Speaker 3: Every day?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe that's my problem every day, you know, exactly So after all these years, you should be good at it. My point is, there's there's they've had time together. I get you, they've had time together. You can't say, well, it's gonna happen. It's gonna happen, and you can't wait your week nine. Oh there it happened. So did it happen something in the locker round? Did it happen two weeks ago or a weekday? My ni l is not as big as yours, few or I always thought that could be a problem. I could. I've always said that could be a I'm not saying that is, but if one's making more money than me, I better talk.
Speaker 3: To my agent. Yeah, you know, that's that's I think it's a combination of that.
Speaker 2: And it could be the system. It could be the coaches trying to him fix things or trying to tweak things. I don't know, Yeah, okay, no, it could be right of things. Hey, hey, you're on the air hind the ball.
Speaker 14: Who's this Hi, Stevens Jim.
Speaker 2: Jim, Jim, give me some analysis, some sane analysis.
Speaker 14: I'm gonna give you a metaphor. This is like eating an apple winning football games. They're trying to eat the whole apple in one bite. Yeah, there's too many players that that double reverse down to. I mean, the probability on that is what yes, As as opposed to trying to knock holes in the defensive line and gets four or five yards twice in a.
Speaker 3: Row, that was one of my people's can play. So was the question, like, why are we doing and delayed rush up the middle of two times in a row from our own fourteen Why don't we just put in a full back and crush it three four yards at a time and get it down the road and.
Speaker 14: Tell me from we need to open up those those B and C gaps to get through there quick?
Speaker 3: Right do we have the it doesn't work if.
Speaker 14: It doesn't work a couple times, so.
Speaker 3: What right do we have the horses on the line to do that? That's the question? Do we have the guys?
Speaker 14: I can't I can't answer that. I'll put it this way to you. If we have the horses to throw to drop back and pass and throw down field, we should have the horses to put a hole in the line if we keep at it.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this, because you're a freaking calling and you follow it pretty closely. So before the season started. How good on the scale of one to ten did you think Arizona was before the season started? Blind eye?
Speaker 14: I said, right up front, this is gonna be a problematic affair.
Speaker 2: Why I didn't remember that would go ahead?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 14: Well, I talked to Jay about it. Probably you probably were asleep while I was talking together.
Speaker 2: I take naps all the time, the minutes. No, no, what why'd you think that? Why did you say that?
Speaker 14: Well, mainly because I think the Big Twelve Conference is not the pushover people said it was. I think the conference is actually a better grade of football than people gave them credit for.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not gonna okay. So so if you thought they were going to be what they were gonna be, are they are? Just they're exactly what you thought they would be.
Speaker 14: No, I thought they would do a little better than they're doing. But bottom line is they're not. And I can see the reasons why. For my own you know, edification, I think they need to run the ball. I've been saying that sent the first games.
Speaker 2: Let me take let me tell you because you said that last week to You're gonna run the ball, run the ball, control the cluck thirty times yet I got about three texts during that game last week. You were not one of them. This is what the hell was that guy talking about running the ball? They can't run the ball. They haven't been able to run the ball. What that guy's crazy?
Speaker 14: Okay, then how do you play football?
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you. You're right. You got to establish the run if you're going to do anything in the air later.
Speaker 14: Exactly, if you get a couple of runs, get a couple first downs, established the running game, then you can start going to mid range and downfield because they're going to be looking for a running play. Yeah, you know. I just every team I've ever watched that was successful was able to run the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, no question. Were't doing it last week.
Speaker 14: Now they haven't done it steadily.
Speaker 3: Do we throw in some run pass option placed.
Speaker 14: Whatever it takes?
Speaker 2: Is that I don't.
Speaker 14: I don't admire or appreciate the you know, the forty yard bund LEI we threw a bunch of those things. Now, the other team, Texas Tech, completed passes of forty yards, seventy yards and so forth, And why what was that? That's because they had the key on that number twenty eight. The running back who went for one hundred and twenty eight or thirty yards and finished them off with that thirty yard run with no one had touched them.
Speaker 3: It's like a body blowing boxing. That's the most underrated hit, but it takes the most out of your opponent. But if you can get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, Jim, thanks a bunch of car Well you give me a quick prediction. I don't have one. Come on.
Speaker 14: Now, on sucker, and this game is just like the last one. They could swing two touchdowns either way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, smart, Yeah, yeah, smart, don't do it. Don't do it. But I'll get a text from you tomorrow. I know I am, but you probably will, all right, Jim, Thanks, But yeah, I don't know which way it's gonna go. I know. Here's my prediction. I want to I'll ask you guys later. I'll take the points. It's five, what it is, I'll take the points.
Speaker 3: Four and a half points, five points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I take the points because I think Arizona is going to be close enough.
Speaker 3: Arizona's one and four against the spread this year so far, and that's you. They were fantastic to get the uyu Is five and oh against Oh that's not good. That's not good trending. I don't know what I would do then scratch that against it, scretch that thought, because I would trend that.
Speaker 2: I'm a betting guy, but I read yeah, I'm a trend guy. I would go and get the call. We got another call. Okay, hey, you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 3: Who is it?
Speaker 15: What's going on?
Speaker 4: This is Michael?
Speaker 2: You got Michael, the guy who does shoot shoot me straight, Michael, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna tell you straight.
Speaker 16: Did you guys ever think that Jim Fish is probably just a better offensive?
Speaker 2: That's another good question that was brought up by the Peanut Gallery on my end, Yes was yes, what is what does our guy do the.
Speaker 16: Job at all? When they lost the kid that you became ineligible, they don't have enough deft running back.
Speaker 2: No, you I think you're exactly right. You're exactly what they need that they needed that guy, that extra guy.
Speaker 16: That guy, that guy was a hammer.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I agree completely.
Speaker 16: So this is what's gonna happen, and I'm gonna I'm gonna make it short.
Speaker 3: B y U is gonna be Arizona thirty four.
Speaker 16: To thirteen, because you know why Arizona's two one dimensional.
Speaker 3: Right in what way? What way you think? Mike straight out fast.
Speaker 2: Fast fast fast.
Speaker 16: Man and and and and and Steve is already h made a hint at what's going on for Fida is very short and if you get those big defensive linemen in his passing lange, you know he's out there running around like a rabbit.
Speaker 2: Do you do you agree with that assessment?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 16: You know once once the formula has been unraveled, and they've unraveled it, it's like Kyler Murray. You remember when Kyler Murray was playing the Rams in the playoff game and they did some some certain types of stunts and rushes on him and made him throw an interception in that playoff game and they returned the ball. So what happens if you start blocking? Uh, here's a line of sight. Yeah, the ball's gonna go a lot higher because he's a short guy. And pretty much like I said, most of these teams are seen in that film on for Feta and they know what to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michael, thanks for shooting me straight. I know you would you always do.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 16: They better get more, they better get more.
Speaker 2: Gift running back you're right. You're right, doesn't hurt, doesn't hurt. Michael, Thank you man, thanks for calling beautiful today, Thanks for calling in, thanks for listening. Michael's right there. Yeah, that was two questions, so people are it's some pretty trending theme. How many questions did you get? I got six? Okay, so that's two of six. That's out of six we got. We got some more. They crossover, so maybe three out of three right now. Yeah, it comes down the coaching. He touched on it. That was the second part. Okay, were ready to go. Let's take a break. We'll come back, maybe take some more calls before we get to the top of the hour. If you're a neighbor's one man basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut Is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 7: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space in your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multigms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot Arizona Health the lean to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 17: What's your goal a new career or career advancement. Transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 18: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a lady's only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall. We have a new poker season starting October third. We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register go to www dot Royal Rebelspoker dot com.
Speaker 4: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show?
Speaker 2: Call up?
Speaker 4: Steve now went five two oh four, one, six, seventy four forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen to fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Andy Brown. We got one with us today Friday.
Speaker 3: Happy Friday, one, Happy Friday.
Speaker 2: We got some more callers. Time for callers here. We're gonna have some breaking news at the top of the hour. We have a different guest this week, next week or next hour. Joey Medina. He's is a comedian, national comedian from the what I tell you, he was the Kings of Kings of Comedy, Kings of Comedy, Kings of Comedy. He spent comedy a boxer and he used to be a boxer. The reason I got him on the show. He didn't he did or didn't remember me. I'll ask him back when I reached out this week. Back in the eighties, Joey the Kid Madina, the Kid Medina Dina. So I think he can't make weight now, none of us wait, none of us can make weight. So I wanted to bring him on and see what he's up to. I hadn't talked to him in forever. So he's coming out four seventeen, and then Jay's coming back. He was on yesterday from the Casino Del Soul uh and we had a fun time there. So we're going to make some picks for our usual debacle. Nice one. You nailed it yes last week, sir Waggies. Yeah, it was not even close close.
Speaker 3: I had to get back after that Illinois pick previous.
Speaker 2: Yes, what are you two and two? Now?
Speaker 3: I think I'm three and two?
Speaker 2: Three and two?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think I went into Okay, the Illinois put me at two and two.
Speaker 3: Last week put me at three and two.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool? Anybody want to call? Please do?
Speaker 3: I just found the magic buttons on these chairs in here.
Speaker 2: You're lower.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like Jay anymore. I feel like I'm sitting in a big boys chair. Now, okay, it was like down on the ground. Nice and you don't bring up the Dodgers, which is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, today's a big game. Is that is that baseball? That's the baseball? They still playing baseball, still playing baseball. No crying in baseball. This is the only time I started to watch baseball. What were you talking about with some stats?
Speaker 3: I was looking at a stats we were talking about the running and passing, and I was trying to look up how many plays from scrimmage we've passed and how many we've rushed, And I couldn't find that stat on Arizona's website. But I did see that we we have outscored our opponents average if you take the average points of the game, which is I mean, not a whole lot, but it's still Okay, got another call.
Speaker 2: You're on the air and eye on the ball. Who's this VI? Vic? What's the word? Vic? Good to see you yesterday.
Speaker 15: Hey, I had a call and fight with your two callers that just recently called in.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go, let's go, let's get.
Speaker 15: Against Texas Tech. Brother. They they won the yardist battle in running, they won the time possession battle by a whole bunch. So and and one one. Our best player is the wide receiver and a quarterback. It's not the running game. So if you have Dan Marino, you're not going to run the freaking ball. You're gonna throw the ball. That's what we have. Whether it's t mac or whoever are you guys right in the in the what they in the system there or the whatever you want to call it. They're not getting the ball to the tight end, which they did last year with the big kids from Canada. I forget his name now, I like, what the heck was his name? So why why they can't get it to the tight end this year is kind of a mystery. And then by all accounts, Patterson kid and spring ball was it's going crazy. Yeah, all the reviews were great on the kid and and now they're not throwing the ball to him, so that that is a problem. But as far as running the ball in time of position, you don't win like that no more. It's like watch the playoffs in baseball this year. The every every run is a home run. There's no hitting runs and no you hit bombs. And the same way in football. If you've got a guy like k Max, you got to use him.
Speaker 2: So so no, I agree. We talked about this yesterday when you're at the show about Noah, And I know you're a big Noah fan, you know the family. You're a big guy, big guy on him. Am I wrong in my assessment? And lets. He's been small all his life, so he knows how to play it.
Speaker 15: Well. The thing is, you just said he's been small his life, so it didn't hurt him in the Trinity League, which you're playing against modern day Bosco, Santa Margarite, uh, Big Dues, Sarah, all the big guys that are going d one. So he's used to six to five linemen in his whole life, and it didn't hurt him against Oklahoma Arizona State when he threw for a million yards, and hurt him when he came back and won the Stanford game with those big old linemens. So no, but boy, you are right about it. It's some just there's something missing, right, And maybe I hate to stay at GM money Christmas. It could be the fish. I don't know. Maybe he's just not being coke fish with the quarterback guy and spent time with him date daily.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and now do we even have a quarterback coach?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure we do. Yeah, but it's not not the same. No, not the same, you know.
Speaker 15: So my thing is is something's got to be tweaked. But it's not just run the ball up the middle, that Dick tom Me thing. He left us twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love this collar on color crime.
Speaker 3: I like it. I like it. No, he's got great points. They're all great points, and we all if we can all figure this out, we'd all because.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we could slip a note under Brendan's dolphins.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you, I'm sure he's got a lot of notes under that that.
Speaker 3: You imagine, You imagine the phone calls I got against, emails against.
Speaker 2: You got, just give it them ball.
Speaker 3: Have you tried painting and walking room in different color? Yeah?
Speaker 2: We need a first born child throwing the ball. Yeah, okay, all right, back, but.
Speaker 15: My prediction is we're we're going to do this tomorrow and it's going to be thirty five twenty.
Speaker 2: Four Arizona there, yeah the baby. All right, Vick, if you're wrong, you've been a call on Monday and say I was totally wrong.
Speaker 15: I will, I'll apologize the gym.
Speaker 14: Okay, all right, you guys, take care, Thanks, take.
Speaker 15: Care, bye bye.
Speaker 2: So so that's we got two predictions.
Speaker 3: One it was thirty five to fourteen. Yeah, that was Mike.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mike, you're writing these down long.
Speaker 2: Jim didn't Jim, we didn't want to commit to his opinion there with the number. I don't know. I would take the points just historically, but you're telling me I take them because they've covered well by us, covered five straight, right or five and oh yeah five and zer this year against I just I'm just here, so I'm just here so I won't get fined, so real quick.
Speaker 12: To answer Vick's question, our quarterbacks coach is Lyle Moi.
Speaker 2: Vou okay, and you never heard of them. That's the first time I ever heard of his name.
Speaker 3: He came from San Jose with sure.
Speaker 2: Maybe necessarily You've been coached by a number of coaches, right, and transition from one to the next. And there's better ones than other ones.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you do have an attitude when one comes in it's less.
Speaker 2: Changes and changes your system or changes changes or is your shot needs to be digusted. You know you're not doing this, and you're not. Last year was last year, and you got to change some bitch off a little.
Speaker 3: But that last coach we won a lot more. All right, that's in your head.
Speaker 2: That Andy last year was last year. Get that out of your system. I'm the coach now, you're gonna put a little more arc on that feature.
Speaker 3: I got two words for you, transfer portal coach.
Speaker 2: Don't say that because I need you right now.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I know. That's and that was shocked at how many kids left after their fourth games and keeping my red shirt see you later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, come on, now, how many kids you got? I have two daughters, and how do you keep them happy?
Speaker 3: Oh? I turned them onto their mom?
Speaker 2: Okay, right right, so you got your answer. Now, kids today they're never happy. Damn on, Oh they're they're never. I'm gonna leave. You know, there was a there was a story yesterday I think it was I'm not sure where before it was Auburn, I think, and how the head coach, Mozille what's his name whatever his name is a name coach was having trouble with his quarterback. They were at odds. When was the last time you saw that when you were growing up? The quarterback and the coach were at odds. You know what, The quarterback didn't play again. The quarterback didn't play again. You're not you don't like what I'm saying. You know what? That bench right there? Yeah, next now it's like, oh, you're making what three hundred and fifty dollars whatever it is. Now, you got to be nice to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hugh Freeze, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You gotta be nice to them because they're making this money and they could leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well that's that's the tough part. That's why we asked about coaching uh sports. When you ask Reggie, yes, would you rather coach guys that are making millions of dollars or you A, I don't want to coach kids, and each coach has its different preference one kid. Yeah, I want to coach kids that I want to watch guys that are making money, so because there's something to it, they're not going to I don't have to worry about checking classrooms. I don't take about this that you're you're getting paid to show up for a job and I'm your boss, and here it is. But then the other kids, the other coaches say, well that kid, he makes more than me. I am I supposed to tell what to do?
Speaker 2: Right? No?
Speaker 3: No, I think I'd rather have the kid who doesn't make anything. Those kids make money.
Speaker 2: You are human, right, doesn't you have those feelings of a human where you can do That comes into play at some point.
Speaker 3: But I tell you what I was blessed. When I started playing basketball, I went from coaches that just kept getting better. So from high school on up, guys, they should every coach got a little better. There might have been a dip there. I'm not going to go into too much, but once you get to loot Olsen, there's no going back from that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: And some of these kids only know one or two coaches. So if you only know Jed Fish, then your next guy in and if he's not doing what he did, you're gonna question it. As a young kid who's twenty twenty one years old, you're going to go, what the F is going on? Yeah? Like this will happened last year?
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 3: No, I get it? Any out to your girlfriend about it? You don't, And you can't go to coaches. You can, you can, MF. You can talk to your player. You're hearing me your peers, but not everybody on team field the same way. Sure.
Speaker 2: Sure he let me go. So it's a promotional item real quick before we head out here. Club Soul members have a chance to win up to one thousand dollars and pre play a Dell Soul every Saturday from October sixth to November thirtieth and up to five hundred at Casino of the Sun plus to receive an invite to the Grand Finale on Saturday, November thirtieth for a chance to win up to ten thousand dollars in cash at Casino Del Soul. Don't forget to have a great place to go. Bet the games for the weekend tonight, ASU plays Utah right at home and NFL games on weekend, and a lot of great things. Get food. We had Jay and I had Mobis. They have a lot of great, great restaurants, a lot of things going on. A pretty place to go and have some fun. So go by and visit them. They have golf golf course of course and ume seasonal selections. Is the pork belly Asian stir fry. We'll see what happens. Okay, when we had about three minutes something like that. Two minutes, all right, won't take any calls now, we'll take some more calls on the other side. Look forward to talking to Joey and Medina. Have a little fun. Yeah, you're a joke or you have a little break between football talks. Yeah, and then you got a lot of breaking news out. Okay, nice cool anything else, Well, we'll get some more calls. I know we will. I think Jim just chimed in, texting me uh and I'll bring that in in the other other side of the you know, they can start fighting with it's good.
Speaker 3: Makes for good radio like it.
Speaker 2: But everybody has an opinion, everybody, and they're all they're all legit. They are, you know, because we don't know what the answers are. No, we don't because we don't know what the problem is. You're exactly right, exactly right. Well, suppose the point you came in and you sat down, sat down and your uncomfortable chair, and you said, you know, we're exactly where we should be or what did you say?
Speaker 3: What did you say? I don't know.
Speaker 2: There were three and tight.
Speaker 3: Where are we selling? We're going to We're the same record as we were last year.
Speaker 2: That's doesn't mean crap. The does brown. But when people compare stuff, what are you going to compare it to next year? We're undefeated already, right, we already won the Rolls Bowl. Next year, yeah, well you yeah, you're this year. We're the same as we were last year. Somebody's checked that.
Speaker 3: Mind. Let's go, let's play the games. Let's roll out. I tell you what, B y U's got a handful coming tomorrow. Okay, No, I don't disagree with that. And they don't play well during the day for whatever reason I don't know. Okay, we're ready to go on, Get me the heck out of here.