Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: Rather sobering start to our day with the plane crash into the Potomac. We're going to get to the latest on all of that throughout the morning as more details become available. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. No one is expected to have survived the crash of an American Eagle jet with an Army black Hawk helicopter near Reagan National Airport. Twenty eight bodies have been pulled from the Potomac River. There were sixty four people on the plane and three on the helicopter. ABC Stephen Portnoy's going to be joining us in a few minutes and give us all the latest. We just got an update from the officials in DC, and as I mentioned, they've changed the search and recovery effort into the search and rescue effort into a recovery effort, saying that they don't expect anyone to survive. The La City Council has delayed a vote on rental protections for wildfire victims. The proposal apparently needs more work. The protections would prevent residents from being evicted and also prevent rent increases for a year. It would apply to all apartments in the city of La The Israeli military says eight more hostages have been released inside Gaza.
Speaker 2: They've made their way to Israel.
Speaker 1: The release of seven of the hostages, including five Thai nationals, was delayed as a crowd of Palestinians surrounded the hostages as they were turned over to the Red Cross. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Search and rescue crews near d C have spent the night searching the frigid Potomac River for survivors and bodies following the crash of an American Airlines subsidiary jet and an Army helicopter BOCA.
Speaker 3: Helicopter and the plane craft in the river east of the appost and the Runway three three.
Speaker 1: Search and rescue operation has changed to a recovery operations at this point.
Speaker 4: We don't believe there are any survivors from this accident, and we have recovered twenty seven people from the plane and one from the helicopter.
Speaker 1: DC Fire Chief John Donnelly says there were sixty four people on the plane and three on the helicopter that was out on a training mission last night. California Congressman Eric Swalwell says he landed at the airport about twenty minutes before the crash.
Speaker 2: He didn't see it.
Speaker 1: He says he started learning about the collision as he got into his car. Swalwell is on the Homeland Security Committee. He says it's important to learn what led to the collision and make sure a crowded airspace is still safe. The Lacity Council has voted to make sure one of its allies is placed on the city's debris removal task Force. Councilwoman Emelda Padilla says her district is full of landfills and she wants to make sure the council has a voice in removing waste from the wildfire sites.
Speaker 5: We must collaborate as one with our federal, state, and county partners to ensure that recovery of its move with urgency and reflect our shared value of fairness, health, and environmental stewardship.
Speaker 1: The council's vote places the Chief Legislative Analyst or a designee from that office, on the task force. The CLA keeps councilmembers craft or helps council members craft legislation and analyze budget details. Dua Lipa, Billy Eilish, Billy, Joel Jack Black, James Taylor, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, and Moore have donated items for a Grammy auction that will go to wildfire relief. The Julians Auctions Music Cares Charity Relief auction starts at eleven a m. Sunday at the Recording Academy in Santa Monica and online at Juliansauctions dot Com. Sixty seventh Annual Grammy Awards will take place later that day from the Peacock Theaterancrypto dot Com arena.
Speaker 2: Let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 1: One of the other big things going on around the country is, of course, deportations, which begs the question, our churches still a sanctuary?
Speaker 6: Well, no, that's the short answer. But they never really were aiming. It's always been legal for ICE agents to go into houses of worship, or into schools, or into women's shelters or hospitals and take people into custody if they had evidence that those folks were in the country. Illegally, but it's been the policy, the long standing policy that those places, those sensitive areas are off limits to ICE agents, and so they just wasn't done previously. Well, everything's on the table now. President Trump has taken that the sensitive area's designation off of those places off limits that ICE agents are not supposed to go into, and so we may start seeing raids in those places before too long.
Speaker 2: But so far we haven't seen them, not.
Speaker 6: Yet, not as far as anyone knows. There have been factories, there have been workplaces, apartments and places like that where people have been taken into custody. We've heard about master portations that have already begun and people being flown back to their home countries or to Mexico. So far, no word on whether any of these actual school rates or hospital or church rates have taken place.
Speaker 1: And at this point with the deportations, is it still focused on the criminals, as officials have said, that's what they're going for first.
Speaker 6: Yes, And that's what I think immigration attorneys are telling their clients and clients that are school districts and our churches that you know, don't worry about it too much. I mean, at least the stated goal of Tom Homan and the others involved in the administration on this front is that only people who are here illegally, people who have committed not here illegally, but have committed other crimes while they were here, that they will be targeted. But you know, there's also talk of removing naturalization, about removing birthrights citizenships. So you know, I think, again, pretty much anything is on the table at this point, and there are supporters for that. A poll conducted by the AP and NORC found that about twenty percent support this new rule. Twenty percent of Americans fifty seven though strongly or somewhat oppose this new policy.
Speaker 2: Which new policy, the new.
Speaker 6: Policy as taking away this sensitive area's designation.
Speaker 2: That is oh okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: You had mentioned birthright citizenship, and so I didn't want to mix the two up because that one is that one is on hold, and as a judge said, it's a it violates the constitution. So they'd have to change the constitution to eliminate that right.
Speaker 6: That was really clear cut. But this other other section of policy, not law, but policy previously said don't go into churches, they're off limits as sanctuary. As a sanctuary churches, synagogues, temples, whatever that house of worship might be. But yeah, you're right. I mean the law is the law, but policy is.
Speaker 2: Different, okay. And how are church leaders pushing back or are they or can.
Speaker 6: They can the same way anybody else does, hire a lawyer and you know, and make your congregations aware as school districts. Likewise, that was reading about the San Diego Junior College District, the community college district that is telling its staff, no, don't allow ice agents to come into campus. They don't have a legal authority to do so. And our attorneys are fighting back. So yeah, they're hiring attorneys, they're they're making their thoughts known, and meanwhile congregations and student groups are holding demonstrations against the practice.
Speaker 1: Yep, we've got story about that coming up in just a matter of minutes. ABC's Jim Ryan, thank you so much for the information. As always, we'll talk to you again soon.
Speaker 6: Appreciate it.
Speaker 7: All.
Speaker 1: Right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. As we were just talking about immigration, a hot topic right now. DEA agents in San Diego have been pulling double duty. Special agent in charge of the San Diego Division, says they're focused on their mission to stop manufacturing and distribution of drugs.
Speaker 8: DEA has prioritized our drug investigations involving those violent illegal.
Speaker 3: Criminals, but we will work with a greater visit our partnerships.
Speaker 2: With our federal acts in order to keep Americans safe.
Speaker 1: Agent Clark says several federal agencies are involved in the immigration enforcement efforts.
Speaker 8: Week, DEA has been assisting in enforcement action with our partners from Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: Specifically, we were working with ICE.
Speaker 4: Enforcement Removal Operations and Homeland Security Investigations or AHSI.
Speaker 1: More than forty five hundred people have been taken into custody and deported in the first week of President Trump's presidency. The president says the US will use its naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, house up to thirty thousand illegal immigrants. Online Security Secretary Christy Noam says the administration is still figuring out how to make that all work. That is something that the White House is working on to use resources that we currently have there at Guantanamo Base, so it will go through the process. The facility has been used for decades to hold detained migrants. A plan to freeze rents and block some evictions in la has stalled.
Speaker 8: City council members engaged in a heated debate, with some members saying others were using the wildfires to push their political agendas. Councilman John Lee says victims of the Palisades fire need help, but not at the expense of property owners all over the city. Let's focus on doing that in a way that doesn't harm housing providers and discourage investment in the very housing our city desperately needs. Supporters argued their constituents may not have lost homes, but they have lost income and jobs. The issue was sent back to committee for consideration. Michael Monks KFI News, the.
Speaker 1: Owner of a mansion in Malibu where a twenty two year old college student died in a fire in the mansion in twenty twenty one, has filed a fifty million dollar lawsuit against trip Advisor and two of its subsidiaries. The lawsuit claims Trip Advisors should have shown more care in leasing the home to a woman who allowed more guests than were allowed for an event it featured potentially risky sky lanterns. The owner says twenty people were at the home at the time of the fire, when there only should have been two. Two people have been taken into custody after a report of a person with a gun at a high school in the Crenshaw area. Polise say they got the call about a person with the gun at Susan Millery Dorsey Senior High School yesterday about ten thirty am. The report followed what appears to be an unrelated bomb threat at Stella High Charter Elementary in the West Athens area. A hospital nurse in Uganda has died of ebola. It's the first recorded fatality since the last outbreak ended in twenty twenty three. The nurse worked in the capital of Kampala. Official say he developed a fever and was treated at several locations in Uganda before multiple lab tests confirmed that he had ebola. Tests done after his death found it was the Sudan strain. The Federal Reserve has decided to keep interest rates the same, despite a call from President Trump to cut them bed chairs your own palaces. The benchmark rate charged to banks will remain in the four point twenty five to four point five percent range.
Speaker 6: For twenty twenty four. As a whole GDP looks to have risen above two percent, bolstered by resilient consumer spending.
Speaker 1: Powell said, despite inflation remaining at an elevated level, the economy has expanded at a solid rate. When we come back, we're going to be talking with ABC's Stephen Portnoy. We're going to get the latest on the plane and helicopter crash in Washington, d C. In which officials are now saying they do not expect to find any survivors and have pulled twenty eight bodies from the waters of the Potomac River. The world is always changing, and there's bad things that happen, and I guess we just roll with it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour news room. A state bill to give fire victims up to a year of mortgage relief is moving forward in the state legislature. The bill would let borrowers affected by the fires stop paying mortgages for six months with no penalties, fees, or interest. Their relief could be extended another six months if the property owner requests it. Riverside County's Board of Supervisors has passed a resolution to take a look at how data is collected on illegal immigrants and DACA recipients. Supporters say it's a step towards supporting vulnerable populations. Supervisors say it will not prevent law enforcement actions against criminals. US Figure Skating says a group of young skaters and coaches were on the American Eagle flight that crashed into the Potomac River after colliding with an Army Blackhawk helicopter near Reagan National Airport in DC. Two former Russian world champion skaters were also on the flight, and that brings us to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. Good morning, Stephen. You know, flying into Reagan National Airport one of the most picturesque approaches I've ever seen. You fly over the Lincoln Memorial, you see the Washington Monument. But last night it turned a tragedy. What happened, That's.
Speaker 9: What everyone wants to figure out. But it happened. At eight forty eight pm last night, an American Eagle regional jet inbound from Wichita, Kansas, was on a standard approach to Runway thirty three. At the same time, an Army Blackhawk helicopter was conducting a training mission over the Potomac River and the Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy last hour said that both aircraft were on standard patterns. How it is that they collide it is the key question. But you're absolutely right Amy to note how beautiful that landing is and house house unusual it is in this day and age to fly over these prominent buildings and at least see them out the window. But that is what happens. It's all within sight of the US capital. The airport is just across the is on the banks of the Potomac River and just across the river from DC. It always has to been, of course, and you know, the pattern for landing is steep and you have to be an experienced pilot to do it because of the security restrictions in that airspace. But also in that airspace are a bunch of military and law enforcement helicopters that are constantly buzzing over the sky. You can only fly a helicopter if you are law enforcement or military. It's not open to tourism or any other kind of commercial helicopter traffic.
Speaker 6: And so.
Speaker 9: These are supposed to be experienced pilots. In the case of the training mission, obviously there are questions about it, but we don't have answers. What we do know is this was not a survivable accident and that there were sixty seven people whose lives seem to have been lost. Twenty eight bodies have been recovered from the icy waters of the Potomac. The operation could take several days. The waters were about thirty six degrees at the time of the crash and the river had been frozen over for weeks, but because it reached into the fifties this week, the thaw meant that that the rescuers can dive into the incredibly frigid, near freezing water. But it's not a solid ice sheet at the top, so it's a gruesome, horrible scene. The debris field is said to go for about four miles south because of the current and the wind. The effort is to try to recover evidence and of course recover the victims, and so far twenty eight bodies have been pulled out of the water. In terms of who was on the plane, the US Figure Skating Championships were just held in Wichita, Kansas, and figure skaters and their families and coaches were among those said to be on board that American Eagle flight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you mentioned that the debris fields about four miles. So did the entire plane and the helicopter both crash into the river or do we know if some of it ended up on land.
Speaker 9: Well, there's no indication that the crash happened over land. I mean, I think what happened is that the two aircraft landed in the wall and that the wind and current had blown various parts of it down downstream, and so that's complicating the recovery effort to be sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, And you mentioned that this was not survivable.
Speaker 1: Survivable is that because of the water because it's so cold, or is it just the crash was that extreme?
Speaker 9: That is not clear, okay, But again, thirty six degree water is not the kind of water you can live in for very long. The rescue effort was instant. There are rescue boats ready to go on the Potomac River, and within let's say, ten or fifteen minutes, the boats were already in the water looking for survivors. None were found, but bodies were recovered quickly and through the night. Since the last eleven and a half hours they had been pulling bodies out more than two dozen. No survivors found. There were initial it seems erroneous reports otherwise last night that perhaps people had survived that those reports sadly are not true.
Speaker 1: And then you mentioned that the black Hawk helicopter was on a training mission, and that does that raise any red flags or like you said, they still have to be super experienced pilots even if they're out on training missions to be flying in that area.
Speaker 9: I have no degree of insight into this beyond the idea that it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have an Army black Hawk helicopter flying in this very secure national security space without someone who had some experience at the controls, without the crew, the whole crew having some experience. Now how much experience, I don't know whether this was a you know, when you could have a training mission just to kind of sort of keep yourself sharp, doesn't necessarily mean that you're doing it for the first time. I don't know what happened, and we're going to have to find out, but you know, the key question is, and some of this there's some clues in the air traffic control radio recording that there was a call from the tower to the helicopter, you know, to make sure that they saw the canadair jet coming in for a landing, and the pilot indicated on the radio. It seems that he did see the plane.
Speaker 2: Ow the pilot of the helicopter, the pilot of the plane.
Speaker 9: Pilot of the helicopter, the plane plane, the plane's going really fast coming in for a landing, doesn't really have much ability to move fast. Helicopter on a different trajectory may have more agility. And so the idea is that the air traffic asked the helicopter to be sure they saw that plane, and the response it seems it was a yes. Now was it the right plane they were eyeing?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean so bizarre because I'm assuming you've seen the video too. But you see the video, you see what appears to be the you know, the I don't know if they call him headlights on planes, but you see the plane, the light from the plane, and you see the helicopter light just making a bee line in that direction.
Speaker 9: I have to believe that the pilots of the plane had no idea what hit them because of the fact that they're coming in for a landing. It's probably I don't know, one or two hundred miles an hour at that altitude you want to slow down.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 9: There's probably some records I could look up, if you know, I probably should, just to get a sense of how fast that plane was coming in. But those pilots have to be focused on the runway, on their instruments. I'm by no means an aviation expert. I barely know politics, but I can tell you, as a sort of an experienced Washingtonian that this is normal to have planes coming in at that hour at that you know, at that altitude, in that path is exactly what you'd expect as It's also common to see military aircraft buzzing around at the same time. So how these two things happen? Let me put it this way. Experts have been fearing something like this for a very long time, and we've been so fortunate in this country to have gone more than fifteen years since a major air disaster. But that streak has ended.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and you mentioned that people that they've been fearing that. I heard last night that there are takeoffs and landings like every thirty to forty five seconds or something like that.
Speaker 9: That's right through the day and into the early hours of the evening. Overnight. That airport goes dark for the most part because of sound and flight restrictions to protect the residents. But that is one of the most heavily trafficked air corridors in the country and under the most secure conditions, which means you really have to know what you're doing to be in the air there. This is not generally it's not open to amateurs anymore. Time was, but not anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, it's certainly a mystery, and we'll be anxiously awaiting to see if we can find out what happened. It doesn't change that more than likely sixty seven people were killed last night, of course.
Speaker 9: Yeah, as always, these investigations take place so that we can learn from and prevent these things from happening again.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC, Stephen Portnoy, appreciate it as always, Thank you for the information you bet.
Speaker 2: Okay, when we come back, we are going to keep you updated.
Speaker 1: We'll get you any new information that comes out about this plane crash, the crash between the American Eagle regional jet and a black Hawk helicopter.
Speaker 2: But we're going to switch.
Speaker 1: Gears just a little bit and when we come back, we're going to dig into that lawsuit that was sparked by the movie. It ends with us ABC's Juju Chang has Lively versus Baldoni for US really interesting. I watched the movie because I don't know anything about the lawsuit or what would have sparked it. So we're going to check in with Juju Chang, who's doing a special on it on ABC tonight.
Speaker 2: Ohing like that.
Speaker 9: That's right through the day and into the early hours of the evening. Overnight, that airport goes dark for the most part because of sound and flight restrictions to protect the residents. But that is one of the most heavily trafficked air corridors in the country and under the most secure conditions, which means you really have to know what you're doing to be in the air there. This is not generally, it's not open to amateurs anymore. Time was, but not anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, it's certainly a mystery, and we'll be anxiously waiting to see if we can find out what happened. It doesn't change that more than likely sixty seven people were killed last night.
Speaker 9: Of course, as always, these investigations take place so that we can learn from and prevent these things from happening again.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC, Stephen Portnoy, appreciate it as always, thank you for the information you bet Okay, when we come back, we are going to keep you updated. We'll get you any new information that comes out about this plane crash, the crash between the American Eagle regional jet and a black Hawk helicopter. But we're going to switch just a little bit and when we come back, we're gonna dig into that lawsuit that was sparked by the movie. It ends with us ABC's Juju Chang has Lively versus Baldoni for us.
Speaker 2: Really interesting.
Speaker 1: I watched the movie because I don't know anything about the lawsuit or what would have sparked it. So we're going to check in with Juju Chang, who's doing a special on it on ABC.
Speaker 2: Tonight, south Line.
Speaker 1: Weather from KFI becoming sunny. High's in the fifties to low sixties. Low's in the thirties and forties. Tonight partly cloudy with highs in the upper fifties to mid sixties. Tomorrow warm it up into the sixties to mid seventies. So got a nice weekend on the way.
Speaker 2: Let's say good morning.
Speaker 1: Now to ABC's Juju Chang Chang, who's hosting a special tonight, and it's about the movie. It ends with us, not actually the movie, but two stars of the movie and Juju. We wanted to talk to you, not only because we can't wait to watch your special nightline special, but also to kind of find out what exactly is going on, because I will tell you, I'm aware of this lawsuit, but I don't quite get what it is, and so that's why we wanted to talk to you. So tell us about what sparked this and where we are in.
Speaker 6: It's absolutely true.
Speaker 3: That's how a lot of people feel amy they're scratching their heads at this lawsuit counter lawsuit, and you're absolutely right. It's not about the movie anymore. It's about the drama behind the scenes of the movie. It all started, you know, as a quirky summer premiere, with Blake Lively and her husband just Ryan Reynolds walking the pink carpet as they do as Hollywood royalty, and then her co star was ushered in and ushered away, Justin Baldoni, who was also the director. Now about a month ago it all began and exploded out into the public because Blake Lively filed a lawsuit claiming sexual harassment right saying that there was unwanted touching. She didn't feel safe, others on set felt that, but in addition, she said one she reported it. The director and co star retaliated against her is her claim by hiring a crisis tr team and creating a smear campaign against her. Now a lot of people took Blake's side after this, because she did in fact get a lot of negative press during the press tour. But then another bombshell, justin Baldoni's team files a counter lawsuit and says no, no, no hold on those texts that her team filed, saying that his crisis PR team was going to bury her with bad press. He says those texts were taken out of context and that in fact it was Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds, her powerful husband who was trying to rest control of the movie get away from him. So he countersues her for four hundred million dollars. Then the scene in question where Billake Lively says there was unwanted touching during a dancing that scene gets released in its raw footage three takes of it, and so all her fans are left to wonder at wait, whose side are we watching here? It was a little became a little bit of a rorshock test that you saw what you want to saw see Justin Baldoni's team said, see, this proves unclear of any behavior that was inappropriate. But then Blake's team says, no, this proves exactly what we were saying, that he's touching her and kissing her in an unscripted moment. So the drama continues to play out, and we talked to an intimacy coordinator who talks about sort of where the lines are in the sand. We talked to a crisis PR expert because many people feel that this really drew back the curtain on this sort of invisible world of crisis PR and digital PR that happens in Hollywood. And a lot of people say, really, it's just the lawyers who benefit here because both sides of the as you say, the stars people don't know what to think anymore. It makes everybody look bad.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and like you're talking about that scene that was released which I watched, and then I watched the movie yesterday because I wanted to see the movie in its entirety and at least from my vantage point, it didn't look like anything that was out of the ordinary for a movie like this.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and that's what Justin Baldoni's team is suggesting. That's why they released the video, right, saying the dancing shows that he was acting within character. Her team says, actually, this shows that they were talking out of character, that he engaged in kissing and nuzzling when that was not scripted. She was pulling away in their view, and this was exactly why they needed an intimacy coordinator at all times, because there wasn't one during that dance scene because it wasn't supposed to be intimate. And if you listen to what she's saying to him, she says, let's just have the characters talk. Let's not have them kiss, Let's just have them talk. And again, you see what you want to see. If you believe Justin's side, you believe the Justin theory. If you believe Blake's side, you believe the Blake theory. And that's why there's so much confusion about who's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm wondering, too, Judu if like people are sort of staying away from this and really not getting into the weeds of it and really finding out what is going on because of the whole thing between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard because it sounds vaguely familiar, I mean different, but sort of along the same thing. Is like they two Hollywood elites and they start going after each other because they're unhappy and exactly.
Speaker 3: And I think one of the things that you see among fans is that there is this real skepticism that their fans are no longer taking stars ward for their you know, at their word rather and so now this is a new era of people who are very sophisticated. A lot of this drama is being dissected on TikTok and other social media platforms, where people say they have a they've read through the legal documents and they know that the truth. But the truth is there are hundreds of pages of documents now it filed in legal lawsuits that one observer point it out, it's about the length of the novel. It ends with us, which started this whole thing, and it really has a lot of people scratching their heads about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so is this does it appear that it's headed to a trial or when might that happen?
Speaker 3: Or do they so reportedly a court date, Yeah, there's reportedly a court date in March of this year. But if you talk to legal experts, there's a real sense that they will likely settle out of court. Sony is named in one of the lawsuits. You know, Ryan Reynolds is named in one of the lawsuits we're talking about big Bucks. But more than that, if Sony gets depot, like if there are subpoenas for documents, there is all sorts of discovery that would open up all sorts of cans of Warrens. The legal experts we talk to think that there's it's very likely that this will end up being settled court.
Speaker 1: And this is why we talk to you, Juju Chang, because now I'm very interested in what is going.
Speaker 2: On with this.
Speaker 3: We have to watch tonight Impact by Nightline.
Speaker 1: You got it, Thank you, Juju Tang. Impact by Nightline on Hulu. You can watch it, and I think I'm going to if not live stream it, I'll be watching it after that happens. But super interesting, thank you so much, really really interesting and crazy like Hollywood crazy stuff. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Officials in the DC area say they do not expect to find any survivors of a collision between an American Airlines regional jet and an Army black Hawk helicopter.
Speaker 4: We're now to point where we are switching from a rescue operation to a recovery operation.
Speaker 1: DC Fire and EMS Chief John Donnelly says the collision was reported last night as the plane was about to land at Reagan National Airport.
Speaker 4: Very quickly this call escalated. It became apa know the responders realized that they had a plane crash and immediately escalated to a response that ultimately included about three hundred people.
Speaker 1: He says conditions were extremely frigid, with strong wind and ice on the water. Transportation set Terry Sean Duffy says the plane was found inverted and in three pieces in the river. Twenty eight bodies have been recovered. US Figure Skating says several athletes and coaches were on the flight that crashed near DC gafis Mark Mayfields As.
Speaker 2: The organization released a statement last.
Speaker 7: Night saying a group of young athletes, coaches, and family members were returning from the National Development camp being held in Wichiton, Kansas. These statement said the organization was devastated by the unspeakable tragedy.
Speaker 1: Former Russian world champion skaters of Genia Shishkova and Vadim Naumov were also on the flight. Their son Maxim, competed in Wichita, but wasn't on the plane. The couple won the World Figure Skating Champion Championship in pairs in nineteen ninety four. Some high school students in San Jose have walked out of class to protest ICE beat deportations. San Jose Mayor Matt Mayhon says hundreds of students were joined by community members to demonstrate against immigration officers targeting illegal immigrants in the Bay.
Speaker 11: We do not enforce somemgration laws, just as we don't enforce the IRS's laws or the EPA's laws. We enforce violent and property crime in our community.
Speaker 1: Students say some of their classmates are living in fear because they don't know if ICE agents will storm into their school and take them into custody. There are more demonstrations in the South Bay scheduled for this weekend, but right now, we've been talking about sad and tragic news all morning, so we're going to switch gears and talk about something fun and happy. And so let's say good morning to Sandy Steers with friends of Big Bear Valley. Jackie and Shadow have been busy. Sandy, three eggs. Let's tell us the latest.
Speaker 10: Yes, Jackie just laid her third egg and they've been very busy incubating the eggs, and Shadow bringing fish and food for Jackie and keeping everything going in the middle of isle of snow on the nest.
Speaker 2: Now, I saw that yesterday.
Speaker 1: Jackie got up yesterday morning because I am obsessive and watch them a lot right now, and she got up and she flew off and just left the eggs unattended. Is that normal or is that? Is that unusual?
Speaker 10: It's not unusual. Sometimes they do that. They just have to change. But right now they may be doing delayed incubation because the eagles, when they are going to lay more than one egg, will not incubate the first ones full time until they've laid the whole clutch because they want them to hatch closer together so the chicks have a better chance of survival.
Speaker 1: Oh, so she lays the egg and then they don't get it warmed up and cooking their latter.
Speaker 10: Warmed up, but just not as much as sitting on it full timely fascinating.
Speaker 1: And then because they were laid like three days before apart, so the first one was on the twenty second, and then a couple of days later we got another one, and then we got another one. So will they hatch in like three day intervals?
Speaker 2: If they do hatch, not.
Speaker 10: With the delayed incubation. That's why they do that, so that they hatch closer together, usually only about a day apart, and that way they're closer to the same age. And Jackie always lays them three days apart, and eagles in general it's three to five days apart that.
Speaker 6: They lay the eggs.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now we're going to be watching the nest and last year, unfortunately she also laid three eggs, but none of them hatched. So when are we looking at hatching to start this time?
Speaker 10: Probably around well late February or more likely first or second of March. That kind of timeframe is when we start watching.
Speaker 2: Okay, and where can people watch?
Speaker 10: On friends A Big Bear Valley dot org. That's our website and both the cams are on there. We have a white angle camera and also a nest camera so they can letch you.
Speaker 1: The one okay, and then one last question for you, Sandy. There's three eggs, now, could there be a fourth? Or is that just out of the question.
Speaker 10: It's possible. Eagles have laid four eggs before. It's fairly rare, but it's possible.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll be watching, Sandy Steers, and hopefully we can check in with you as we get closer to pitpwatch that's when you get really close to the hatching, they call it pip watch.
Speaker 10: Yes, all right, absolutely awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, we're very excited and hoping we'll see some eglets in a few weeks.
Speaker 10: Yes, me too, Thank you, all right, thank you.
Speaker 1: So much, Sandy, appreciate it. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Search and rescue efforts, as I mentioned, have changed to recovery efforts in the Potomac River near Washington. D C. Officials say they do not expect to find any survivors following the mid air crash of an American Airlines Commuter jet and an Army Blackhawk helicopter. Twenty eight bodies have been recovered. The plane was approaching Reagan National Airport last night about eight forty. Retired Marine Corps Colonel Steve Ganyard says air traffic controllers had radioed the plane and the helicopter.
Speaker 7: The tower told the helicopter that your traffic is the regional jet.
Speaker 2: Do you see it?
Speaker 5: And the helicopter says, yes, we see it.
Speaker 2: He says, the crew was told to stay back.
Speaker 9: Perhaps they picked a point of light, or they picked an airplane that was not the regional jet, and they thought everything was fine.
Speaker 1: The helicopter, carrying three soldiers was on a training flight. There were sixty passengers and four crew members on the plane. More rain is headed to southern California.
Speaker 5: That means renewed concerns about mudslides into brif flows and the recent burned scars. The storm is expected to last from Tuesday to Thursday of next week. The National Weather Service is calling for a quarter of an inch to an inch of rain.
Speaker 1: Hey if I's Daniel Martindale says this storm is expected to be warmer than the last one, which decreases the chance thunderstorms. META has agreed to settle a lawsuit filed by President Trump over its decision to suspend Trump's accounts after the January sixth attack on the US capital. Under the deal, Facebook's parent company will pay twenty five million dollars. Meta says twenty two million will go to the fund to build Trump's presidential library. The rest will go to pay legal fees and other plaintiffs. And Dave Matthews has dropped out of the Fire Aid and the Grammy Music Cares gala because of a family emergency. A post from the Dave Matthews Band says there is a critical illness in the family. The event to honor the Grateful Dead is scheduled for tomorrow. Fire Aid is tonight. Of course, it's happening at the Into It Dome and the Kia Forum gets underway at six o'clock. The second concert gets underway at seven point thirty. It's going to be live streamed and broadcast all over the place, and if you'd like to listen to it, it's going to be airing on the iHeart music radio stations right here in southern California, including our friends up at MYFM, KISSFM, Yep Coast. They'll all be airing it. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County South lad weather from KFI. Clouds this morning, becoming sunny with highs in the fifties at the beaches. Around sixty for Metro La and Inland Orange County, sixty in the Valley's low sixties in the ie fifties for the Anelope Valley. Partly cloudy with lows in the thirties and forties tonight. A mix of sun and clouds tomorrow, with highs in the upper fifties to mid sixties, and then warming into the upper sixties to mid seventies. For Saturday and Sunday, It's fifty two and Dana point fifty two in Long Beach, thirty seven in Lancaster, forty six in Pasadena. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call and if you missed any of wake Up Call had some great information this morning. You can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can all please here Wakeup Called five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.