Speaker 1: Channel nine first one to wetherbecast today.
Speaker 2: I've got showers of storms likely between one and five pm. Gusty wins up thirty miles per hour, high of eighty lulland precipitation over night fifty nine for the low, best chance of storm and range and range tomorrow after six pm, mostly claud the otherwise highest seventy four Scattered rain over night Wednesday with a low of sixty two, and then it'll be warm seventy nine high Thursday with thunderstorms showing up in the evening hours seventy three degrees. Right now, let's hear from traffic update Chuck Ingram.
Speaker 3: From the UCL Traffic Center, UC Health Weight Law Center offers comprehensive of vicity care and advanced search and KOBA expertise called five one three, nine three nine two two sixty three. That's nine nine twenty two sixty three North Pound two seventy five crews are working with an accident after twenty eight left shoulder broken down westbound two seventy five after seventy one Center Lane Industrials shut down in Florence between Safeway and Empire for police activity. Chuck Ingram on fifty five care seat the talk station.
Speaker 1: AY thirty on a Tuesday.
Speaker 2: It's that time of the week we get to talk to retired Lieutenant Colonel Daniel Davis to get the Daniel Davis Deep Dive. Welcome back to the program, Daniel, my friend. It's a pleasure to have you on as always. Good to see Brian.
Speaker 1: How were you. I'm doing well, you know, hanging in there.
Speaker 2: As they say, among the problems in the world, I'm surrounded by all it's it's just a bunch of crap. Every story you got it is gloom and doom. Four corners of the universe seem to be troubled, and that's usually what we end up talking about. So it can be depressing. But I'm doing fine, and I hope you can say the same. We've been talking week after week after week about the latest on Russia and Ukraine, and I saw some hint of suggestion because Trump apparently had a meeting with Zelensky when they were overseas, that crimea might be inder consideration that Zelensky might not have that red line in the sand. I'm not going to give an inch of my territory up. But crime has been taking over by Russia. Now for twelve years as Barack Obama let it happen, and it's been that way, and that seems to be part of sort of a foregone conclusion in all of our prior conversations. You talk about zelensky lack of willingness to concede any territory. Does he think that he can somehow get back CRIMEA. I mean recognizing the relative negotiating powers that we've talked about, and that he doesn't have a whole lot of of of power on his side at the negotiation table.
Speaker 4: I gotta tell you, Brian, now, I think that the issue, and this may sound like a trite statement, but I mean it genuinely. I think he has become delusional in his thinking and is not looking at things reality. That's one of the reasons why I think that President Trump just has to make whatever decision he thinks is best for the United States, because he doesn't have a genuine partner on the Ukraine side to come up with some kind of rational plan that they can present as a as a unified side along with Europe in their negotiations with Russia.
Speaker 1: Because you have Ukraine, you had the Europe.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're literally all over the map over here, and they're not connected with the reality map that Trump apparently is, So you see, it's nearly impossible. So the only thing that is going to make some sense for President Trump is going to be I'm just gonna have to make the best deal that I can with Putin or I'm just gonna have to walk And Rubio mentioned that on Sunday again, and I think that that he said this week will be crucial. And I believe that Trump is now nearing the point to where he's going to say, I've tried everything I can with you guys, but you won't deal with the reality that exists on the ground. And I'm gonna have to just walk away and let you guys figure it out for yourself, because if you're not going to listen to Sam any kind of common sense, then I can't do anything for you anyway.
Speaker 1: And that'll be a He'll.
Speaker 4: Come under a lot of pressure from that for President Trump, but only those who are also not willing to look at reality.
Speaker 1: And I think that's where he's headed.
Speaker 2: So Zlonski's basically operating from position of delusion. I mean, as anybody sort of slapped him in the face and say, what do you god, I mean, what is your argument? I mean, your people are being slaughtered on the battlefield, and I'll admit that some of the Russians, and I guess North Koreans as well at this juncture being slaughtered as well, but not the degree the Ukrainian soldiers are. They're running out of people to fill the ranks in the military. This has been going on for quite some time. Meanwhile, the slaughter goes on. Zelensky's in an untenable position and yet won't acknowledge it. I guess I just don't understand why didn't somebody just sort of throttle them.
Speaker 4: Right right right that well, I think diplomatically, that's what Trump is about ready to do, and I think that he's like you would ordinarily think the head of a state is somebody that can be dealt with rationally, and even if you come to a situation you don't lack, the circumstances aren't to your locking, and therefore you can't get the outcome that you want. You grudgingly acknowledge what is and then get the best out of it you can. That's kind of normal how that people would work. But Zelensky is not in a normal position. And I think that he his situation is exacerbated further and alarmingly so by leaders in Europe because instead of throttling him, as you just put it, they instead encourage him.
Speaker 1: And I mean, you've had it all the way through.
Speaker 4: You've had Boris Johnson advise against having the Istanbul agreement in twenty twenty two, and you've gotten them now. Germany was unpublished published sized said they suggested Zelensky reject Trump's plan to quote giveaway crimea and as though there's a choice to be made. So that's not just Zelensky, but it's also the new incoming government from Germany. And then you have of course back Ron and Secure Starmer of the UK. They keep talking about this coalition of the willing. I mean they're feeding into it. So there's a much bigger problem, quite frankly, going on in the Western world right now, which complicates this greatly.
Speaker 2: But this pressure on Zelensky to reject the idea of negotiating some sort of you know, land force deal with Putin. They haven't stepped up and said we will send our people in to help and fill the ranks of your depleted military. There's been no out loud statement from the European Union leaders to that effect. They're just egging him on and having his people continue to go through the meat grinder.
Speaker 1: Am I or am I wrong on that? Oh you're not.
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact, the UK in particular has gone backwards and said you may recall I want to say this is late at December, they were talking about a total European force of two hundred thousand's what they were looking for. And then they said, well, okay, maybe one hundred thousand. And then they start looking at the actual numbers of.
Speaker 1: Who could do what. They said, okay, all right, sixty thousand.
Speaker 4: And then the UK said all right, and we'll poney up maybe thirty thousand, and then they said okay, well actually maybe ten thousand. And now in this past seven or so days, it's like, okay, we'll send some trainers into Ukraine, not even peacekeepers, because they realized they don't have enough, they can't actually do it. But they're still talking about this and encouraging Zelensky forward, which has the perverse effect that you just laid out there, getting more Ukrainian slaughtered in a point in this battle they can't win and they just won't come to graps with reality.
Speaker 1: It's really puzzling.
Speaker 2: What is the state of the I mean, we do even know what the Ukrainian population wants at this juncture.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't know.
Speaker 2: They do surveys and polls. And it's one thing to be patriotic and say, no, damn it, we're not going to give the Russians an inch of land. We're going to get crimea back. But practically speaking, the people on the ground are the ones that have lost their sons and their husbands and their grandfathers to this terrible conflict.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 4: I actually I have talked recently to a former member of Zelensky's government. I won't say who. I don't want to throw that person under the bus. But they told me that the polling that is actually out there shows that the further away you are from the line of contact, the less willing you are to recognize reality, and the more willing you are to say and yes, keep on going, even that numbers is coming down. But they said that when you're up on the front lines, and I'm talking within like one hundred kilometers or so, those people are saying this is dumb let's don't do this anymore. We will just keep losing more territory now than there was four more villages this morning around the area of Pakrosk on the Ukraine side, which has received orders to evacuate because the Russians are continuing to go forward. Russia gained twenty seven square kilometers of territory in the last twenty four hours, so their advances are accelerating, and now more Ukrainian people are put at risk, and there's more flight going on inside the country, and you keep seeing that over and over, and you just got to ask yourself, how much worse does it have to get before you finally come to a recognition that the war can't even be stopped much less one. But unfortunately, it looks like that there is no end inside and so that means this by definition, Russia will eventually conquer what it wants on the ground, aside from the negotiation, because they don't have a partner that they feel that can discuss it with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every day that goes by, they lose even more negotiating power, not that they have a whole lot to start with. Daniel Davis, So I wish we had some really positive news that come from that front. But it's well, you get the leader.
Speaker 4: At least President Trump is grounded in reality and he's trying to do something that nobody else had done. It's definitely the previous administration. So there is some positive on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, real quick, just you your thumbnail sketch boiled down take on our military strikes against the against the Hoothies. We've been dropping all kinds of bombs on them lately.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've been dropping bombs and we've been losing drones, these multimillion dollar drones. I think like seven of them in the last week or so. And then I don't know if you noticed, but yesterday in the Red Sea, one of the Hoothy missiles came so close to the aircraft carrier, one of the air correct careers we have in there that we had to maneuver out in this emergency situation and lost an F eighteen over the side.
Speaker 1: How does that droppen?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: How does that happen? Because they were just.
Speaker 4: Doing a normal move on their on their hangar by moving a plane around, when all of a sudden they had an emergency requirement to uh maneuver away from a ship, I mean away from an anti missile ship, any ship missile, and because of that the ship lists very heavily to the side and it literally rolled into the sea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what an embarrassment for the United States military on that score.
Speaker 4: This is a mission. We can't fight. We can't win this militarily. All we're gonna do is lose millions of dollars. Now it's into the billions in the curtain in terms of the missile too, and you're not gonna knock them out.
Speaker 2: We need to do something different. Daniel Davis Deep Dive every week at Tuesday at eight thirty. Check them out online. Find the podcast just by searching Daniel Davis Deep Dive.
Speaker 1: Uh again.
Speaker 2: Sometimes depressing Daniel, but always interesting, stand up on top of things, speaking truth to in the face of insanity.
Speaker 1: DL said, thanks next week.
Speaker 2: We'll talk next Tuesday. Brother eight forty I fifty five care see the talk station. Don't go away. We're gonna hear from our sc experts, ticket I learn all about Rhino shield that's coming up. I hope you can stick around.
Speaker 4: This is fifty five KARC and iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 1: Thinking about buying your first home